Speaker 1: Welcome to my world, bitch.
Speaker 2: Wold good.
Speaker 1: Welcome to this bonus episode of the Supernatural Occurrence Studies podcast.
Speaker 3: So Littlely Paranormal.
Speaker 1: My name is Jason Knight, host of the show, and with me as always is Oscar Spector producer Extraordinair podcast co host. Well, Oscar, we had to jump on the mics because there's some hot news in the world of the Long Island serial killer. We have an update, a very important update. Okay, this is one of those timely episodes where it's being talked about right now.
Speaker 3: Okay, I mean, if if.
Speaker 1: You're not hearing it out there, you probably live under a rock.
Speaker 3: So you brought me here on the false pretenses. That's not what you told me to come over here. You said you want me to jump on the bike so you can finally confess your deepest, darkest sins. This is you just told me a lie I did. You just got me into this room. I didn't want to talk about this guy anymore.
Speaker 1: I tricked you. I know, I don't want to talk about him anymore.
Speaker 3: Either, but right, but you tricked me, and now we have to talk about this guy again.
Speaker 1: Yes, yeah, so really, listeners should go back we've covered him four times already. I had to go back and get the episode numbers, because if you've been living under a rock and you don't know about the Long Island serial Killer or Rex Huerman or the GILG four, definitely go back and check out our episodes one fifty two, one fifty three, one fifty four, and one sixty four to get all caught up on the Long Island serial Killer, all the victims, the possible victims, all the suspects about Rex huremen, and all the crazy theories and conspiracy theories.
Speaker 3: The only positive thing about this guy, which I never want to hear coming out of this show ever again Jay after today, yes, is that he has given us a lot of like material tons of materials, so like, you know, like we can, we can take it easy sometimes, you know, Yeah, oh you can. I mean you're doing the research obviously not so much too, but like you know, it's is an easy go to.
Speaker 1: Well, it's it's kind of.
Speaker 3: Fun to worry or rack our brains to what the hell we're gonna do next time?
Speaker 1: Right right? Because Rex always up to some shit right right now? I think to your point where you say, hopefully we're not going to talk about this guy for a very long time, huh, said, I think that's going to be true. Based on these latest developments, I don't think I don't think we're going to get any of those real juicy the details that everyone's looking for. I don't think we're going to see those for a very very long time. Okay, And that kind of pisses me off, Okay, because I'm bought into the story.
Speaker 3: Yeah, well, at this point we have.
Speaker 1: To ask a lot of people are bought into the story, right right? All right? So the ogre in the gray suit with an honest to god Mo Howard haircut, listeners, kids, look up Mo Howard. Three stooges, that's what this guy is sporting on top of his big dome. So the ogre and the Mo Howard haircut stood so still. He might have been part of the courtroom itself, an old piece of furniture, maybe for nearly three years. Rex Huerman said nothing. But on April eighth, two thousand and six, So just a few weeks ago, he walked into a packed Suffolk County courtroom and began to unspool a decade of secrets in less time than it takes to cook a Monday night meal. He didn't weep, he didn't rage, he didn't look menacingly at all the families lives that he shattered. He simply answered the judge in a flat, almost bored voice, Yes, your honor, Yes, strangulation, as if he were confirming some mundane checklist, like a grocery list outside families of the dead held hands inside a monster clocked out. Do you feel it's in your best interest to plead guilty rather than go to trial, asked Judge Timothy Matse, Yes, your honor. Do you feel it's in your best interest to plead guilty? A curt nod, no hesitation, Yes, I do. The judge acts asked if rex Human understood he was giving up his right to appeal, his right to a trial. Yes, your honor. Then came the names. Suffolk County District Attorney Ray Tierney, a fantastic prosecutor who launched a dedicated multi agency task force that identified in ares, arrested Rex Hureman in July twenty twenty three. Tierney stood and began to read the names of the dead aloud. Melissa Barthelemy Meghan Waterman, Amber Costello, one by one, He asked, hureman, how he killed them? You killed each victim in the same manner, namely strangulation, Yes, Melissa strangulation, Megan strangulation, Amber strangulation. No elaboration, no apology, no hint of remorse, just that same clinical word, over and over, ticking off that list, strangulation. Ray Tierney pressed further, Did you bind them in burlap? Did you dismember some of them? Yes? Yes. Human never raised his voice, he never broke eye contact with the judge. When the prosecutor asked about Karen Viergatta, a thirty four year old mother of two who vanished on Valentine's Day nineteen ninety six, a death Huworman had never been charged with, he gave another flat, emotionless reply, I intentionally caused the death of Karen Viergatta and left her remains. Twenty minutes after it began, the hearing ended. The man who had lived two lives suburban architect by day, deranged serial predator by night, was led away in shackles the overflow rooms, emptied into the hallways. Heard among the murmurs of conversation was he admitted it, almost in disbelief that what they just heard outside. Victim's relatives gathered on the courtroom steps. Can sister to Marine Brainard Barnes, spoke for many when she said, quote, this has been a long journey of hope, she said. Now. Huerman's ex wife, Aesa Alorup, who sat in the last row of the courtroom with their daughter, Victoria, did not immediately speak to reporters, but later released a statement asking for privacy and saying her thoughts and prayers were with the families. So Rex Huerman, the ogre, who he could now confidently call the Long Island serial killer, pled guilty to three counts of first degree murder and four counts of intentional murder or second degree murder. Under New York law, the difference mattered. First degree meant he had committed another felony during the killing, like kidnapping or sexual abuse. Those three victims, Melissa Barthelemy Megan Waterman and Amber Costello, earned him mandatory life without parole. The other four, Marine Brainerd Barnes, Jessica Taylor, Sandra Caristia, and Valerie Mack, carried fifteen years to life, but the judge tacked on an extra hundred years just to be sure. Then there was Karen Viergatta, the eighth woman. Human confessed to her murder in open court, even though no one had charged him with it. It was the distric attorney later said, a kind of a house cleaning, a way to close the doors of the books on Karen Viergatta, a ghost who had haunted the Long Island serial killer case for three decades. Now, as part of the deal, Human agreed to sit down with the FBI's Behavioral Analysis Unit, the same squad that once interviewed Ted Bundy, John Wayne Gacy, Richard Speck.
Speaker 3: And they were on the cast of the Mine Hunter Mine Hunter.
Speaker 1: Yeah, exactly. That those are the people that he'll be sitting down with. It is going to be forced to sit down with. It's kind of an academic exercise, Ray Tierney said. They want to understand what created him, what drove him, what causes this. Now today Human sits in a segregated cell at Suffo County Correctional Facility. He chose to be there, voluntary segregation, they call it. He doesn't mingle with the general population, not because he fears them, though some innates have wanted to kill him or hurt him, but because he seems to prefer his own company. Sheriff Errow Toulon, who oversees operations and inmate custody within the Suffa County Sheriff's department, and who's overseen high profile inmates like John Gotti, John Gotti, Teflon Dan. He says, Hureman shows none of the despair typical of other notorious prisoners, no remorse, no visible distress. Instead, he carries himself with what Toulon calls a bit of smugness. He says, Rex is emotionless, unfazed by the situation he's in. And he says, Rex sizes people up, he studies their gait, their tone, how they speak to him, and then he offers short, clipped answers in return. And he does not hold lengthy conversation with guards. You're not getting a lot out of this guy. Now. Once a week, a cleric, either a Catholic priest or a nun, visits Hureman in his cell. He never claimed to be Catholic, but that's who he chooses to speak with. Catholic priests and nuns. These religious visits happen in private, and absolutely no one knows what they discuss. Now Interestingly, before his arrest, Humeman did architectural work for Catholic charities, and the irony has not lost on investigators. To keep busy Rex reads. Recently, he checked out two books from the correctional Center's library, West Wind, a high stakes Cold War era thriller, and Devil's Banker, a high stakes financial thriller. He also visits the law library regularly by court order. He has a laptop to review the mountains of discovery documents in his case, and his only exercise is walking laps in a small yard and said he's one hundred percent compliant, and the sheriff believes the reason is simple. Hueman is surrounded by men. He does not challenge men. He's not a fighter. Since his incarceration, Human has received roughly one hundred and fifty visits from his ex wife, Asa Ellerup, who visits about once a week, or at least she did, from friends, from mental health professionals, and from his attorneys. Now one visitor tried to see Hureman but was turned away, and that visitor was Christopher Lob. Now, Christopher Lob is not a name most people remember, although we did make it a point to talk to him. Talk about him, excuse me. In our previous Long Island serial Killer episodes. In the Twisted History of the Long Island serial Killer case, Christopher Lobe plays this strange kind of supporting role. Back in twenty twelve, Lob, a convicted felon, broke into an unmarked Suffolk County police vehicle. Do you remember this?
Speaker 3: No, not Offhan how Man anymore.
Speaker 1: So he broke into this, this unmarked Suffolk County police car, yes, I remember, right, and inside he stole this duffel bad belonging to then police chief James Burke.
Speaker 3: Yeah, the fucking guy one with the hookers and should.
Speaker 1: Yes, just the dirt bag. Now. That bad that Lobe stole contained Burke's gun belt, ammunition, a cigar box, sex toys, adult films, and what Lobe described as a possible snuff film.
Speaker 3: Remember, yes, yeah, it's coming back now.
Speaker 1: That fear that that obviously enraged this psychopath James Burke, who later beat Lob beat the ship out of him while he was helplessly handcuffed to the floor. Remember, and he pressured his officers officers under him to lie about the whole thing, and that scandal unraveled. Burke's career, and he actually served jail time for that for those civil rights violations. The thing is Lobe had long insisted that Burke was involved in something something much, much darker, not just kinky sex and porn. But Lobe publicly claimed that James Burke himself was connected to the Gilgo Beach murders, either he was the Long Island serial killer or he helped support him in some way. And Loeb says, you know, I didn't break into Rex's truck. I broke into Burke's truck. And Loeb noted that the murders miraculously stopped after his burglary of James Burke's truck. Right, So, when Loeb tried to visit or contact Hueorman at Suffolk County Jail, Sheriff to alone confirmed that the request was made, but it was rejected by Human himself. No one knows what Lobe wanted to speak to him about what he was going to bring up, but Christopher Loeb's attempt to insert himself into the story decades after his burglary of Chief Burke's truck, it's just a reminder that this case has always had these strange currents running beneath it. Burke was never named a suspect in the murders, of course, and from what I could tell, Christopher Lobe himself is currently incarcerated on charges lated to a January twenty twenty four violent assault on an eighty nine year old woman. And Rex Human has always says nothing.
Speaker 3: It's like everyone in this fucking story, other than the victims, are bad guys, just the different levels of that, different degrees of bad guys. Like this one's obviously the nicest of all the bad guys, the eighty nine year old beater upper, which says a lot, because that's a lot, right, that's my point, Like, yeah, he's way better than the cop, way better than human manicurs, but like still a piece of shit.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, yeah, none of these people are really good.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Now, for all the bizarre tangents and shadowy figures that have circled this case over the decades, the story has never been about them. It's always been about the women, the ones Human admitted to killing, their names, their lives, and the horror of how they died. That's what really matters. Hureman's Please brought the total number of victim confirmed to eight. The authorities have not ruled out that there may be more. As a reminder, the women he killed when he admitted in open court to killing were Sandra Cristilla, aged twenty eight, found in north Sea, Long Island, with DNA matching rex Huerman. There was Karen Vigata thirty four, a mother of two whose nineteen ninety six murder Rex admitted to on his own in court. It was Valerie mack age twenty four, Justsica Taylor, aged twenty, both dismembered and scattered between Manerville and Gilgil Beach. There was Marine Brainerd Barnes twenty five, bound with leather belts remember that with the w H or the HM on the belts.
Speaker 3: Yep, And he leads to his house too murber Yeah.
Speaker 1: Right, that they thought might have been his grandfather's initials M. And that belt also held his wife's DNA. If you remember, There was Melissa Barthonomy that he admitted to, age twenty four, whose teenage sister received those horrible racist calls from the killer from her sister's own phone. Yeah, after she disappeared. There was Megan Waterman age twenty two, who we now know had that oh excuse me, yeah, new revelation Megan Waterman twenty two, who we now know had a very specific bounty paper towel stuffed in her mouth when she was found. That matched a square of bounty paper towel found in one of rex Huerman's desks. Again, this is brand new information, and that was a specific, unique type of bounty paper towel that was only sold in certain stores believe it or not. Really, so they're linking him to Waterman because of this this bounty paper towel.
Speaker 3: Yeah, crazy research on the topside for that one.
Speaker 1: And then of course he admitted to killing Amberlin Costello from West Babylon, New York, age twenty seven, last seen meeting a stranger in a Chevy Avalanche, a description that led police straight to rex Hureman. Human killed all these women between nineteen ninety three and twenty ten, wrangled each one, and some he admitted he dismembered. But here's where the story once again twists. Hereman's confession closed eight cases, but it didn't close Gilgo Beach, remember along that same stretch of Ocean Parkway. I believe there are five more victims that are still lying in evidence lockers and cold case files. They don't have names and no one has claimed them. There are four Jane Does. One is Asian between eighteen and thirty five years old, who died between two thousand and two thousand and five. There's another another Jane Doe, same age range and same window of death as the previous one, the Asian. A third Jane Doe was discovered in Nassau County in nineteen ninety three, stuffed in a plastic container. And then there's the Fire Island Jane Doe found in nineteen ninety six. And then there's the other what we call the outlier. Remember the Asian male who was found dressed in women's clothing Giggle Beachman the other victims near the other victims, so that by count makes five left to still identify. And if you remember from our previous episodes, there was yet again another story running parallel to the Long Island serial killer case, one that wound up having nothing to do with Rex at the end of the day, but it was just as kind of gripping for years. The case of Peaches and her toddler daughter haunted investigators. Remember Peaches I do In June nineteen ninety seven, the dismembered torso of a young woman later nicknamed Peaches for a distinctive heart shaped peach tattoo found on her body, was found inside a plastic container in a wooded area of Hempstead Lake Park Hempstead State Park in West Hempstead, New York. More than a decade later, during the height of the search for Giggle Beach victims, additional remains of Peaches and the skeletal remains of her young daughter were found along Ocean Parkway, not far from the other victims. Now the child, initially known as Baby Dough, have been wrapped in a blanket and was wearing gold jewelry when she was found, and she was linked to Peaches through DNA. For nearly three decades, the identities of mother and daughter remained a mystery, thought to be victims of the Long Island serial killer, but a major breakthrough in twenty twenty five advances in forensic genealogy allowed investigators to finally put names to these bodies. Peaches. The mother was identified as Tanya Denise Jackson, a twenty six year old US Army veteran and single mother originally from Alabama. Her daughter was identified as Tatiana Marie Diykes just two years old when she was killed. For years, investigators linked Tanya Jackson and her daughter Tatiana to the Gilgo Beach killings, but as evidence mounted, that theory crumbled. In December of twenty twenty five, Florida resident Andrew Dykes, aged sixty six, Tatiana's fire, was arrested and charged with Tanya's murder with Peach's murder, He's not been charged with the killing of his two year old daughter Nasa County da and Donnelly says prosecutors lack sufficient evidence to connect him on that count right now now. Dikes was married to another woman when he met Tanya Peaches. The two had an affair, and Tatiana was their love child. Prosecutors alleged Dikes killed Tanya to end that affair and save his marriage, and it's likely he killed his daughter for that same reason, though again it hasn't been proven yet. But where there's smoke, there's fire, I think well. Al Tanya and Tatiana's case is basically solved for the most part. Heureman's plea is cracked open a much wider hunt opening this Pandora's box of cold cases across the country. Law enforcement agencies from New Jersey to Nevada are reviewing unsolved murders for potential links to Huerman, whose property holdings and travel records have placed them in a number of states. D A. Tierney has made it clear that his offices is not stopped, and he stated, quote, we're not going to stop. We can't stop. We owe that to the victims. That's the least we could do. End quote.
Speaker 3: Hmmm. I want to say, based on his testimony in court and the way he said it and that way that offhand that one person said about Rex Hureman that not being surrounded by any women at all kind of like took his power away, so to speak.
Speaker 1: In prison. Yeah, Oh, I think so definitely.
Speaker 3: In a sense that like he is much more maybe submissive to us, to all these like authorities. They're all manly authorities.
Speaker 1: It looks that way.
Speaker 3: It's very strange, which makes me feel like he definitely did that Asian guy. Oh but we talked about that then too, and they called him an Asian twink, right, yes, correct? Anyway, is that based on that it feels like, is it not? Is it difficult to try to get him to admit to the rest if there are.
Speaker 1: More, we don't know. I don't know, I will.
Speaker 3: I think it would be easy. I mean, he's there for life. Even if they invented mortality, they attacked on an additional hundred years to that.
Speaker 1: So he's got he's got over three hundred years total.
Speaker 3: Right.
Speaker 1: I think a lot of it and I'll talk about this more at the end. I think a lot of it has to do with him wanting to protect his family, his wife and step son and his daughter.
Speaker 3: As to who he might have colluded with or no, it could be that like this person that killed Peaches already forgot her name. I apologize this guy who just like did a quote unquote regular murder, like killed by one person, probably with his kid, does he like know someone even maybe Rex or knew someone else that it, you know, took bodies to that beach, to that area, to that coastline, to to bury his own body after knowing how how great of a spot it is, so to speak.
Speaker 1: It's it's it's certainly possible. We've always kind of thrown it around ourselves that he had accomplices he worked with.
Speaker 3: I mean from ninety three to twenty twenty five, that's when he found out her name. So that's getting away with murder for a long time.
Speaker 1: You mean peaches his name? Yeah, yeah, yeah, you know, yeah, I think you know. It's it's how good is this FBI Behavioral analysis unit going to be with extracting information? How much does he want to save his family from if there are other people involved, how much he wants to save those people? You know, there's so many factors, or he just might want you he cares about his family. Yeah, I'll tell you why. Okay, I'll tell you why.
Speaker 3: At the end, only because of how how remorseless he is. But I've seen people legit justify a lot of things and if they care about and I see them care about other things too, and now in very weird ways. So like I get it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I have some kind of late breaking news that I couldn't work into here because i'd literally watched this documentary last night. So okay, and we'll talk about that. I'll definitely talk about that, Okay. So on Long Island, that investigation into the remaining unidentified victims it continues. Police have confirmed that human's DNA has been entered into a statewide database to see match if it matches any other unsolved crimes. Authorities are also re examining the other victims found on Gilgo Beach, like I mentioned, whose deaths have yet to be solved. Investigators in New Jersey began re examining the two thousand and six murders of six sex work four sex workers in Atlantic City by a killer dubbed the Eastbound Strangler. Remember these guys, these victims, The victims Kim Raffo, age thirty five, Tracy N Roberts, age twenty three, Barbara Briador age forty two, and Molly Dilts, age twenty. They're all found line face down with their heads pointed east towards the city's casino high rises, towards the downtown area. The women were all working as sex workers, and they all suffered severe addictions. They were all strangled, and the bodies were all discovered in a ditch, kind of in a row behind these the shitty ass motels. Yeah, so striking, remember this so striking to Diego Beach. Former Suffolk County Police Commissioner Rodney Harrison initially initially told WABC that authorities were weighing an investigation into human's possible connection to that Eastbound Strangler case. However, in a later statement to the New York Post, Harrison world out a link, stating quote, we don't believe that sex the sex workers killed in Atlantic City are connected to Rex Hereman end quote. But despite this, the Atlantic County Presecutor's office say it's continued to continuing to investigate those two thousand and six Eastbound strangler homicides to see if they cooberate with Rex Hereman. So we'll see then we have Las Vegas. Hereroman's tides to Las Vegas has also drawn significant scrutiny. Public records showed he owned a timeshare on Tropicava Avenue Chopicana Avenue in Las Vegas, purchased in April two thousand and five, and he sold another Vegas property in twenty twelve. He was known to spend time in Nevada, including at a convention in twenty seventeen, and following his arrest, the Las Vegas Metropolitan Police Department confirmed they were reviewing their unsolved cases to see if Rex has any involvement. One case in particular has captured the attention of investigators. In two thousand and seven, nineteen year old sex worker Jody Marie Brewer went missing from the Harbor Island Club apartments, located just over four miles from Huroman's Las Vegas condominium. Her torso was discovered wrapped in plastic in cloth two weeks later near the California Nevada border. And this case is still unsolved. And I believe we did speak about Jody Brewer in one of our Long Island Serial Killer episodes.
Speaker 3: The names all Yeah.
Speaker 1: Now, let's jet over to the South Carolina, where Human's goofball brother lives in Chester, South Carolina, where Human owns property, and where a first generation Chevy Avalanche he once used was impounded pursuant to a search warrant. Local police are looking into the twenty fourteen disappearance of eighteen year old Aliah Bell, who vanished days before Thanksgiving after leaving her uncle's home in rock Hill, South Carolina, about twenty miles from Huroman's property. Law enforcement agencies in Connecticut and Virginia have also noted possible links between Humorman and their cold cases. So you know, there's possibly this guy's got bodies everywhere. It's a very strong possibility, and I can't wait to see what comes next for this case. On June seventeenth, twenty twenty six, Judge Matse will hand down those life sentences and human will die in prison. So that's kind of the latest on rex Hureman. You know, who knows when we'll get another update. You know, we might have to wait for an author to write a book on human before we get the next the next updates, the FBI is not going to put out information. That's all going to be secret ship.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that's how they work.
Speaker 1: Now, something worth mentioning. Remember Shannon Gilbert, She's she's still she's still, she's still a victim, and no one really knows what happened to her.
Speaker 3: Yeah, she's the one with the with the weird walking around and trying to get the cops with the neighbor right wa and that other guy that was probably a drug dealer or something.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Joe Brewer. She went to go to his house and.
Speaker 3: I remember her.
Speaker 1: Oh so yeah, she's the one who literally cracked up in the whole case.
Speaker 3: Yes, she started, she's.
Speaker 1: Yes, right now her death is ruled kind of like misadventure. Drugs expired and drowned. I think we talked about that, Yeah, yeah, absolutely, but that's who the investigators were out searching for when they stubbled across the GUILDO for yes. And the question has always been, what happened to Shannon? Who killed her? Was it Rex Hureman, James Burke, the cop, Peter Hackett, that crazy doctor, her driver, right, her driver, Michael Pack? Was it someone else? Was she even murdered? Well? In the early days after Human's arrest back in July twenty twenty three, his defense attorney Michael J. Brown adopted this kind of familiar strategy, point the figure somewhere else right, not my client, while maintaining his client's innocence, Rex's innocence, Brown repeatedly suggested to investigators that they were ignoring this more significant and these more significant and stronger leads in the Shannon Gilbert case. We don't know who those leads were and have they never mentioned it, But one thing he did say often was that there was a strong possibility that the real Long Island serial killer, not his not his client Rex, but the real Long Island serial killer also murdered Shannon Gilbert. Right, So it was really convenient argument at the time if the killer was still out there, if Shannon was proof that the murders hadn't stopped with Ewerman, then perhaps prosecutors had the wrong guy. But then came April eighth, when Hreman stood before a judge in a at courtroom and confessed to eight murders. The quote unquote other leads Brown had mentioned evaporated instantly. The man who had once suggested Shannon Gilbert was another victim of the same killer now represented that very same killer himself. And now Brown he's abruptly stopped mentioning Shannon altogether, and he's eaten his words. So it's still unsolved what happened to Shannon.
Speaker 3: Again, just like last time. It does milo bizarre that Wax is not admitted to Shannon's death if he was the one that did it.
Speaker 1: No, he hasn't, And that's.
Speaker 3: Even stranger than the other case when I mentioned this up earlier, because it's from that area, it's from the murders that he's in court for, right, even if he did more across very very close, super close, So like it seems out of pocket for him not to admit that when he gave up that other one unprompted uh and admitted to everyone else of course, So it does seem to me like, I'm thinking, my mone, isn't that cop? But maybe somebody else did that murder, not misadventure, but it was a coincidental, different murder that landed the other shark, the bigger fish, which is Hureman.
Speaker 1: Right. Well, here's something interesting. So I read a few articles. Now if you, if you remember Shannon, the initial autopsy, uh, given by the county was kind of like death by misadventure, right drugs. She freaked out, she landed in this Marshy Marshy area, and she drowned, which I think is complete bullshit. But then the family got the famous medical examiner, doctor Michael Badden from HBO, that HBO show autopsy back in the day, this very very famous guy. He found evidence of strangulation, namely a damaged hyoid bone. Remember this, so now I've read that Shannon's hyoid bone and her larynx were missing. This was found during the second autopsy perfund performed by Michael Badden, and that scene in severe strangulation. In severe strangulation cases, that hyoid bone and the larynx are damaged and crushed so badly that it looks as if they're missing. Even more evidence towards a very violent strangulation.
Speaker 3: And is a big guy, a huge, huge guy. Yeah, like a torring menace.
Speaker 1: So I don't know. Now the larynx part was new that that wasn't out when we first started talking about this back in those other episodes.
Speaker 3: Which is why again to get this this case gives us a lot of ground to cover.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it really does, so that I thought that was really interesting. I wanted to bring that up. It seems like even more evidence of strangulation now, So that's what I that's what I scripted based on the newest updates. There is a new documentary out, God it was it interesting hour and a half. In it, you talk to Victoria the daughter, You talk to Asa, the wife. The psychologists kind of assigned to Asa to help her through things. And you asked if Rex truly feels he wants to protect his family or if he loves his family however you say it, and I said, I believe he does, and I'll talk about it. So before he was, before he admitted an open court to these eight murders, these these eight heinous crimes, he was allowed to talk to his wife and daughter individually and admit to them face to face what he did and allow them to ask of him any questions they had, and they did.
Speaker 4: So.
Speaker 1: In the documentary that that's exactly what happens as of the wife goes in with this psychologist, this person, I want to call it her handler almost They go in and they sit with Rex. He admits that he did this. She asks, uh, she never. She says she never got a why, but that all but one were in the house in the basement, and we.
Speaker 3: Talked about that he might have done that in his house and proven because of some evidence. Yeah.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 3: And also the sex party is a swinging thing that they were trying to or doing.
Speaker 1: Supposedly, yes, supposedly that that has not been proven. That has not been talked about again frankly because that would also involve his wife, right, and supposedly ASA knows nothing nothing of any of this, Okay, he admitted, like, uh, gow, what else did he say? He admitted, like, you know, yeah, when you guys would go on vacation, that's.
Speaker 3: Right, definitely you do it vacation things like this.
Speaker 1: Yeah. The biggest though, why she said, she said she didn't get she didn't get a why. Yet you could tell she still loves him. You could tell she still wants to have a relationship with him, no doubt. I think this is a woman who has been.
Speaker 4: Maybe maybe brainwashed, is too harsh, conditioned, but definitely conditioned and controlled since they met, since their marriage. For I can see that with this thirty years whatever it is. I can see that with this guy.
Speaker 1: Yeah. And he actually said, he's like, well, I divorced my first first wife because she was crazy. I couldn't control her thing. I couldn't control her. Yeah, he could. She was She came from abusive background, growing up, abusive relationships. She didn't have anything.
Speaker 3: It's just the amount of milk toast that he needed kind of thing.
Speaker 1: I think, so okay, Yeah, and she had a kid whose special needs though, so he was one that the olger came in, swooped in, picked her up, and gave her a life. And I think she's very dedicated with it. Was big muscly arms. I think she's very dedicated to that. On one hand, she feels horrible for the victims and the families.
Speaker 3: How she's alone now or not alone, but you know, I mean like a lot more alone.
Speaker 1: Right with nothing. They're not hirable. They're living in the same home. They don't have money. Well, that's debated. I guess now with these documentaries that came out in things, there's talks of millions of Doctua.
Speaker 3: That's true to tell right now, everything's happening right now.
Speaker 1: Everything's happening right now. Like I was going to.
Speaker 3: Ask you, what do you think of podcast in fifty years from now, if podcasts are still a thing like that, this whole story would be one episode, probably on twenty maybe seventeen pages long.
Speaker 1: I don't know. I don't think it'll ever be.
Speaker 3: Well because Max, I mean even Max, because like everything will be I have been out by then. Most likely everyone's that involved because it's been fifty years, and like you're just trying to think back on how we do stories from before our time or when you or right in your time because you're sold and and like you know, looking is like we're in the middle now, we're in the trenches. It's like the war, no post war yet, but the post were people how will they look at this Rex room and guy in the whole case in general? Will there have been more attacked on? You know? Would he have died in prison by them? Most likely?
Speaker 1: Most likely right in fifty years, I think they'll be more taped on.
Speaker 3: You know, that's when that's why people do retrospect usually too, when they're like, oh yeah, when that crazeous heial killer from fifty years ago dies, like oh yeah, this is the time I released that episode or whatever. I wonder what those will look like and how much short of it will be. I don't know, but I can't wait, and what they'll skip too fifty Like we're talking about all these all these potential other factors that could have killed other people or helped them out or something. Will I even be a thing at all in fifty years, like just like just Rex or I don't know whatever. I'm curious.
Speaker 1: It's interesting to think what that sounds like.
Speaker 3: Curious as to what we'll get dropped, because I wonder. I wonder a lot about our shows. You know, we do cover a lot of murders, a lot of serial killers. So you know, how many things are we missing that we were just not privy to when it was on the news fresh.
Speaker 1: Oh, probably tons of information.
Speaker 3: So much stuff that they were just like bouncing around. Most likely none of that mattered anymore, but some of it must have.
Speaker 1: Well, we know for a fact that that police and investigators they hide information, They keep information close to the chest. You know, we know that for a fact. How much in this case, I don't know. I feel there's a lot more, I really do. Yeah, And it just might take fucking fifty years to find out, which makes me crazy because I'm so invested in this story.
Speaker 3: Yeah, you're not making it that far, but no.
Speaker 1: I'll be surprised if I make it to sixty. So the wife definitely haunted. You can see the daughter too. They were haunted and completely understandable. Asa and the daughter and the son. Although you don't hear from the son at all, it's like they did. They don't know that person. He kept it so separate, He kept the serial killer so compartmentalized. They literally don't know what that person is, who that is, what they look like. They they only know the father and the husband. So it's such a such a weird dynamic. Now, the daughter, Victoria, who we talked about. We made kind of a big fuss about the daughter and drawing. She's made statement she's made Did she see things in that basement? Did she help? You know? I don't think so. I don't think so. I just think she's kind of an odd ball. She's an odd cat. When when the camera catches humans from Harry Potter, Yeah very good. Yeah, kind of when the camera first catches her in the house, she's downstairs or this all happened with sage and she's saging the basement and the documentary person is like, what are you doing?
Speaker 3: I remember documentary are all stage two. Okay, a lot of them maybe, but that's all they're doing. They all are okay, And that saying is not real. I'm not saying that didn't happen. I'm not even saying that name Victoria. Victoria didn't want to do that at that time, which I did. But the order was you get seen the first. The fact is the first one is the documentary's decision.
Speaker 1: I'm saying, maybe she had a few speaking moments, but then.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I'm saying, it's all stage You look exactly in the right order that you want them they want you to look at.
Speaker 1: But I could also see her being that kind of person, that kind of spiritual.
Speaker 3: That makes sense with them, that makes sense with this kind of behavior, like you tend to really go on one aden and from what you grew up with totally or have seen so far. But I don't think I'm convinced about that means that cares about I don't think he cares. I think he thinks he cares. I don't think it's a ship. I think he cares about controlling the people. I mean, being able to control person. And we're stipulating at this point as to how much control he had over Asia.
Speaker 1: Asa or some people say Asa Asa is.
Speaker 3: That Uh yeah, he just misses the control. He doesn't care about her. I don't think that means that he cares about it.
Speaker 1: He might not have the capability, right.
Speaker 3: Right, That's what I'm saying. I don't think based on his courtroom well, based on everything.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and then too, they're in the courtroom scenes that we that that you can look at it on YouTube. Now when he's he's announcing, confessing, confessing, it's almost like he's got a fucking smirk on the entire time. It's so bizarre, shit, I think. But there's more. There's more with this documentary, all right, Right, So you got the daughter, she's she's staging the basement where all this happened. She goes in speaks to her father. You get a little insight into what that conversation looked like, and it was much the same as the questions the wife asked. You know, she didn't get a why, but she but he confessed, and then he was allowed to confess publicly at the very end of the dock. ASA, it's in the basement. Basement's now been remodeled, right, It's not a creepy looking dungeon kind of place anymore. And she moved her bedroom into the kill room. She now fucking sleeps in the kill room, in the dismemberment room. What the fuck? Yeah? And her thing is like, well, I want to make it a positive space.
Speaker 3: I was gonna say that I want it.
Speaker 1: It's almost like communing with the dead there.
Speaker 3: If you had asked me, like, why do you think? I was said, that's that's probably what she thinks.
Speaker 1: Could you do it?
Speaker 3: Could I?
Speaker 4: Yeah?
Speaker 1: You could move your bedroom down there? Not yeah, where seven women's lives were snuffed and dismembered and not all.
Speaker 3: I I didn't do it. There's no video.
Speaker 1: Oh no, dude, I couldn't do it. I couldn't not in a million years.
Speaker 3: Yeah I could do it, But would I want what I prefer? No? I mean if there's other options, I would.
Speaker 1: There's always been there, she always lept upstairs.
Speaker 3: No, I'm saying, like I could do it if I have to, but I don't want to. No, I don't want to. In general, I don't like living in a basement. I know your son loves here, but like, period, like I just don't like basements necessarily. I grew up in basement. That's probably why, because I grew up living in a basement.
Speaker 1: That's my parents house. But like I thought that was mad, bizarre, that's just very creepy, very strange. A lot of people are look at that the complete wrong way.
Speaker 3: Oh yeah, because we're a society that demands a lot of things are stupid. But like, but you can't, you can't, you can't argue with that. That persons you know what they are feeling. It's just a very strange thing that you haven't gone through, and you don't know how you'll react with what I'm saying. There's just no way to I I don't alter for that. Well, it's it's weird, yes, but it's normal behavior. It's and human behavior, human condition.
Speaker 1: Crazy.
Speaker 3: You know, you definitely should still keep seeing a therapist. Everyone should be doing that need.
Speaker 1: Yes, they needed bead.
Speaker 3: Everyone needs that, for sure. They should continue to do that and then hopefully the rest falls.
Speaker 1: Okay, yeah, So I mean that's that's the latest and greatest, and I think that's the last we're gonna hear besides the sentencing, right until I think some some author and some distant time in the future gets a book together, the unauthorized biography of Rex he in the long you know what I'm saying.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and forty seven years when Rex dies in prison and then a big XOS comes out, we'll talk about it.
Speaker 1: Then it's right, yeah, god willing. I was gonna say one more thing something. Oh and I think also him choosing to plead guilty eliminate the court, the trial in court. I also think that's a way for him to hold leverage in this whole thing because he knows people are waiting on baited breath for the latest and greatest details and now they're not going to get it. And I think he loves.
Speaker 3: It, okay, kind of like like nagging or something or what do you mean, Oh man, that a fuck you?
Speaker 1: I like a mm hmma for sure. So I think it's a little protective family. I think it's a little bit to say fuck you to the public to remain control, you know what I mean. So that's it, and if we have something else I want to think about this guy, we will update you. But we wanted to get this out, so Oscar take us home. Yes, m.
Speaker 2: M h.
Speaker 1: M.
Speaker 3: I was gonna get you to do it.
Speaker 1: I just want to commit. I like the cracking idea. I like nautical themed tattoos.
Speaker 3: He had an instantly good idea that I never would have thought of without a professional because I told him about then know this and he was like his first thought was like, Okay, the first problem is that the hip is like a dividing line that's hard to bypass with one piece, you know what I'm saying, Like, I guess it's very difficult with certain things, especially if it's like one in this case of creature, right, with several tentacles, right. And he's like, but one thing we could do is that we can make the hip like the water line that the thing is coming out of, Like that could bypass that feat that look that will look like stilted or weird.
Speaker 1: That'll hide it. Yeah, like a lot of blacks and blues, like black fading.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I don't know if I wanted realism or not. I don't know how I want to. I will discuss that about the Yeah, a lot of potential there, and I would want full color.
Speaker 1: I would definitely want.
Speaker 3: I mean you have to. I like purple deep purple life. I wanted like.
Speaker 1: Nice, very good man. I'm jelly. I want to get one.
Speaker 3: You should get one.
Speaker 1: I know. That's why I kind of want to do like some kind of a crack or an octopus. I really kind of want tentacles coming down onto my hand.
Speaker 3: That is cool. I mean I thought of that too. I'm afraid like the hand than you don't work with their hands anymore. I mean, oh, I see likes I go in front of people. I mean these day and age. I mean, I don't know how your market. I don't know your thing, but I can't taught you imagine that nowadays? You know it should be way more accepted by now.
Speaker 1: I don't know. Yeah, I would hate to screw.
Speaker 3: Is there anyone that you can think of and you're in not your department.
Speaker 1: But tattoos on their hands.
Speaker 3: Or anything that shows tattoos?
Speaker 1: No, No, okay, I can't think most of the guys except for me and Square. They're in my boss where they're all older, older men, older women.
Speaker 3: I was gonna say, well that could Now that probably means even less likely, right that they'd be cool with it. I mean they're so old school. I hate I want all old people.
Speaker 1: I could always try to be like, but it's my right hand, Like if I'm writing.
Speaker 3: Like, enough with that, Jen, can we just get came? They stop being in charge for once. It's been too long. I know they're fucking old. Week go to hospice, man, what the fuck?
Speaker 1: I hate? I can't suck up this job.
Speaker 3: No, no, I know I'm not. But it's still cool.
Speaker 1: I think it would be.
Speaker 3: But like if you get a chance, something happens or they all die off, fucking do it.
Speaker 1: Like they're all coming down like some of the technacles.
Speaker 3: It's really cool. I can already imagine it. But like, havn't want to wrap around you're so cool?
Speaker 1: Yeah, oh yeah, they're very.
Speaker 3: Because they have that ability.
Speaker 1: They do that. Imagine wrapping it actually around your finger. It's very rare that you see tattoos here. Yeah, I know entirely. Now you know Katie and Tyl you're talking about get a matching tattoo.
Speaker 3: Like mother's daughter tattoo, Like, what's happening? What's wrong with that?
Speaker 1: It's my little girl?
Speaker 3: Like tatoos, they're not for heathens anymore. For everybody used to be this big. Oh yeah, that's my point, you know. Okay, Well that's you can't say that. You can't stop the rush of time there. But I understand that feeling, like, I mean, I don't really understand. I don't have no kids, but I get where you're coming from.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yesterday we just picked out her college classes. Like what the fuck is happening?
Speaker 3: Criminal stuff?
Speaker 2: Right?
Speaker 1: Yeah? For now?
Speaker 3: Cool?
Speaker 2: Cool?
Speaker 3: Oh yeah, yeah, I mean I mean she could Yeah totally.
Speaker 1: I mean I did. I'm sure you did. Change.
Speaker 3: Oh yeah, I wanted to minor in philosophy. Yeah, fucking thought match it almost did.
Speaker 1: I think every I think everybody, I think, every person I know changed. Well.
Speaker 3: I always wanted to do films. I just want to. I wanted to have philosophy to you know, gain perspective and stuff, and unfortunately it led me to.
Speaker 1: Hate the world. Well that backfired.
Speaker 3: I mean, when I was very depressing times, I've been recommending CAMU to people like CAMU will help you with the shift perspective. He's really good when it comes to bad times.
Speaker 1: Is a person.
Speaker 3: Camu is a philosopher. Oh French, I think.
Speaker 1: Like Engin d Prottin, you didn't like it.
Speaker 3: Uh no, it wasn't my it wasn't my thing really, but I can I can see the addiction. I can see how you it would gravitate you like a moth to a flame. I do think it's gonna spoil your doom the more you watch. I really thought it's literally meant not for everyone. It's like literally meant for like a key amount of people, like a subset of of population.
Speaker 2: You know.
Speaker 1: I was just thinking some of the stuff you turn, like key Line.
Speaker 3: Pie or something. I also like it, but I was trying to think of a fine pumpkin pie.
Speaker 1: Like Nightwish or like this's just the weird music I've heard you listen to.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I like I love I Wish still my number one by product. This would be like you're right, but they're not similar. They're just both niche Yeah, differently, these.
Speaker 1: Were like experimental or something, you know. That's but anyway, Yeah, I'm totally into Katie's and I.
Speaker 3: Could see, you know, it's just so expected every time I come over that fucking band with the polka dots everywhere.
Speaker 1: It's wild. It's so wild. Yeah, it's a lot of people are really into it because it's what they're saying. It's like a huge like fuck you to AI and AI slop and like, this is purely human. This is this will this will always be human. They won't be AI. This could be a creativity.
Speaker 3: I mean, they could be. I wonder if five hundred years from while, they'll write this time period as a sort of a whatever renaissance there is that they would be like a snapping stone in that, like they helped, you know, because be that at the right time, at the right place, right in history, you could make it right. Maybe that's them and AI.
Speaker 1: Well, I don't know, because I that's how I started talking to Jokes. I forwarded to him. I'm like, dude, you gotta check this out. And he's like, oh, yeah, I heard of this stuff. He's like, dude, that because it's called monotonal mathrock is what it's called monotonal mathrock. And he's like, dude, that shit's been around forever. I don't know why it's getting big all of a sudden, he's like tool of Perfect Circle like all these bands. He's so apparently this type of music has been around before that.
Speaker 3: Yeah, there's been Yeah, I'm not saying every sound is you know, been copy pasted throughout history. We can make new sound, but like this type of percent I'm pretty sure I have heard already here and there randomly math rock. Yeah. As a matter of fact, you know what first got me into it was an episode of House. Remember that show? Yeah, he there's an episode. I don't know why I remember this so vividly. Whatever, shut up, don't shut up. There's an episode where Jeremy Renner when he was younger and before Avengures, he was a guest star and he was a rocker, a punk rocker, and he you know, every cold open of episode is with it's with the victim or whatever and they fall ill or whatever, and he's in the bank, you know whatever, and it shows throughout the episode like House listening to his music, and they show some of that music in the in the episode and it makes no sense. It's a total nonsense. It's it sounds like a nightmare, right, It's sounds insane, and he and then his house like first hates it and he's listening to it, like a few episodes scenes later, like this is crazy. There isn't a single repetitive, petitive chord in here. He has unique chords every step of the way in the song. How does he do that? Like he becomes like enamored by the mathematical genius of his of his and that's just a shitty show. That's someone wrote, you know.
Speaker 1: It wasn't like you know, and this was Jeremy Renner playing the person. So that's weird that it was not a total stuff.
Speaker 3: I don't know if that's what he called it, but he said something like something weird, like.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah. The other strange part is that the other day Katie, last weekend or the weekend before we went out, and we were driving home, She's like, I want you to hear something. I was listening to like whatever on Spotify. She's like, I want you to hear something. I'm like, oh fuck, Jeremy Renner. He's a singer, he has a band, and she let me listen to House of the Rising Sun. I hated it, of course.
Speaker 3: I mean she can't beat the animals, man, right, I don't know if they're the original, but they're the best.
Speaker 1: I think they are. I'm pretty sure.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I'm pretty sure.
Speaker 1: But he's got a whole bunch of he's got a band, but it's like southern rock kind of.
Speaker 3: Like, yeah, very few actors can transition. Yeah, it wasn't like it's easier for a music artist to transition to film than it is for a.
Speaker 1: I can see that. The other person I was surprised too was oh and she was fucking awful too.
Speaker 3: Oh god, who is m Maggie Jones.
Speaker 1: She's like late nineties or even maybe even mid early mid two thousand. Who was it? It's on the tip of my tongue. Man, and she was awful. Yeah, she should have stucked being an actress. But anyway, that.
Speaker 3: Reminds Zoey Deschanel is my one of my favorite examples because she's singing she started off that way. Oh really, her band is great. I mean, it's probably not your flavor. It's very like Sacharan, kind of sympathetic, kind of love story stuff. But I listened to the first three albums. I haven't caught up to anything new. Shit they did Christmas Ravel. It's called Her and Him or she and Him something like that. It's called like that because there's only two people in the band. And then she started that way and she blew it up big and everyone sees her only as an actress, but she started as a singer.
Speaker 1: No idea, that's great.
Speaker 3: I'm pretty sure she did start it that way and I listened to her. Yeah, it's really brilliant. I mean she has a melancholic too nice not like crazy, but like it's good. Wow.
Speaker 1: Isn't that the one that everyone says is a huge bitch? Is that Zoey Deschanel.
Speaker 3: I mean, I think everyone who's fucking bitch?
Speaker 1: I'm thinking Bryce, Bryce Dallas Howard.
Speaker 3: I heard she's I heard about that, but I haven't heard anything about I don't know abut Zoey, though she's been out of the limelight too lately, so maybe.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I don't think I think it was the other one.
Speaker 3: But well, I said, Howard's like a, it's like a. It's like the Taylor Park version of Jessica Chestain.
Speaker 1: She is.
Speaker 3: I'm sorry, she is, and I'm not sorry.
Speaker 1: Welcome to the one hundred and seventy sixth episode of the Supernatural Current Studies podcast.
Speaker 3: So so you know, paranormal.
Speaker 1: I'm shocked. First time.
Speaker 3: No, it was a joke. I did that time.
Speaker 1: Let's just say, first time in ten years. You didn't have a nothing. No, No, that was adjective, a soliloquy.
Speaker 3: It was a joke. That was a thing stuttering the choice.
Speaker 1: Uh. That is Oscar Spector Producer extraordinaire. I'm Jason Knight, the host of the show. Uh, and we have a good one for you tonight. I'm all thrown off.
Speaker 3: I don't know how I guess.
Speaker 1: Dude, So you've had You've had some interesting things happening, Oscar since the last time we recorded. My computer shut off from trying.
Speaker 3: To should have a vamp until I come back.
Speaker 1: We should just start over. No, how have you been man since our last episode phone Breaker? That was Oh, I gotta be careful not to hit the table. Yeah you that just spike. We haven't even started. I poured, I haven't even sipped yet. I'm sorry, You're fine, I'm back. Should we start over?
Speaker 3: Yeah? Actually, for reals, yes,