Speaker 1: Caloroga Shark Media.
Speaker 2: Hello and welcome to the Palace Weekly. I'm your host, Mark Francis, and every Sunday we are going to take a conversational roundtable approach to all the stories that happened this week in Royal News. Take it away.
Speaker 3: It feels like just yesterday we were glued to our screens watching Harry and Megan step back from royal life. Yeah, five years, can you believe it?
Speaker 4: It's hard to believe.
Speaker 3: Well, today we're going to dive deep into a Vanity Fair article that kind of takes stock of their journey since then, and they actually talked to dozens of people who've worked with them.
Speaker 4: It's a fascinating piece. Yeah, gives you a peek behind the curtain of their California life, their businesses, you know, the charity work, and even some bumps in the road.
Speaker 3: Okay, let's unpack this right off the back. But the article jumps into their life in Montecito and paints a picture of this grand mansion fourteen point six five million dollars.
Speaker 4: Eighteen thousand square feet.
Speaker 3: What a steal. It does sound like a steal. What's really fascinating is that this luxurious estate became the base for Archwall, their ambitious blend of like philanthropy and entertainment.
Speaker 4: It's a real shift from that traditional, more formal model of royal life.
Speaker 3: So it's like a deliberate move, a physical and symbolic separation from the constraints of the monarchy.
Speaker 4: Yeah, you could definitely see it that way. It's like they're trying to build a new kind of influence. Yeah, on their own terms.
Speaker 3: Okay, that's really interesting. Now the article touches on their philanthropic work, and it seems like Harry's still dedicated to his charities, infect his Games foundation in Senta Veil, and there's a mention of him having this certain Gravi toss when he talks about his work in Africa.
Speaker 4: It makes sense, right, He's got this deep connection to Africa, both personally and through his chairar work, so his passion really shines through.
Speaker 3: Now on Megan's side, there's her forty by forty initiative, which, just to clarify for our listeners, focuses on encouraging people to dedicate forty minutes of their time to support women re entering the workforce. The article also mentions her podcast archetypes will be returning for a second season that we don't have a title or a premise just yet, right. And then of course there are the Netflix projects, A docus about Polo and a reality show called With Love Megan, which actually got delayed because of the California wildfires.
Speaker 4: It's funny you bring up those wildfires because that actually plays into one of the anecdotes that they shared about Megan. Okay, despite the disruption to the show's filming schedule, she was apparently very calm and collected, even making jokes about.
Speaker 1: The whole thing.
Speaker 3: Wow, that's pretty impressive given the circumstances. Sounds like they've been keeping dizzy on the entertainment front. Yeah, but the article also hints that their venture into the podcasting world, specifically with Spotify, wasn't exactly smooth sailing.
Speaker 4: That's putting it lightly. Apparently some of Harry's podcast ideas were well, let's just say a little.
Speaker 3: Out there, okay.
Speaker 4: To tell he reportedly suggested a podcast where he'd interview Get This sociopaths like Mark Zuckerberg and Donald Trump, which kind of raises the question of what's his definition of sociopath and what kind of conversation is he really envisioning having right? He also pitched a hot chocolate review show and a show where he'd solve problems from fixing flat tires to tackling global warming.
Speaker 3: A sociopath podcast and fixing flat tires. Those are some wildly different concepts. What was going on there?
Speaker 4: It does seem a bit all over the place, doesn't It Almost like a struggle to find their footing in this podcasting landscape. Clearly they want to tackle big, meaningful themes, but maybe lacked concrete ideas to make those themes come alive in a podcast format.
Speaker 3: And speaking of big personalities, wasn't there some tension with Bill Simmons? Oh?
Speaker 4: Absolutely. Bill Simmons, a Spotify executive, huge name in podcasting, reportedly had a pretty frustrating Zoom meeting with Harry Yeah, and ended up calling the couple grifters publicly. Not exactly a glowing endorsement.
Speaker 3: Ouch, that's got a sting. It sounds like they weren't exactly embracing the nitty gritty work that goes into producing a successful podcast.
Speaker 4: That's the perception. At least, It's like they wanted the benefits in the reach of podcasting, but without putting in the same effort as other celebrity podcasters.
Speaker 3: That's interesting. So amidst all this, their podcast archetypes did eventually emerge, and the article flames that the idea actually originated from a Spotify employee.
Speaker 1: It did.
Speaker 3: Yeah, the podcast dells into various stereotypes about women, you know, like Diva and Bimbo, aiming to unpack their historical context and their impact on women today. Right, so it sounds like a great concept. Did they manage to snag those A List guests they were hoping for? The article mentioned Beyonce and Megan de Sallient.
Speaker 4: Well, it seems like securing those high profile guests was a bit of a struggle actually, and even behind the scenes there were some reports of tension. He would an executive producer from Oprah's team apparently clashed with Meghan over her you know, evolving demands for the podcast.
Speaker 3: The article also mentioned some claims about Meghan's treatment of staff, warm and approachable initially, but allegedly becoming cold and undermining when things didn't go her way.
Speaker 4: You know, we have to take those claims with the grain of salt. They are coming from anonymous sources, after all, it's hard to get a completely unbiased view.
Speaker 3: Fair enough, Now, before we move on, I want to touch on Harry's personal perspective, especially as it's portrayed through his memoir Spare Spare.
Speaker 4: Was incredibly revealing, wasn't it. It offered such raw and honest insight into his inner world, you know, his experiences with trauma and those fractured relationships within the Royal family.
Speaker 3: He was incredibly candid and that definitely resonated with a lot of people. But the article also points to the potential fallout from such public disclosures, especially if Harry hopes to, you know, mend those broken bridges with.
Speaker 4: His family exactly. Spare My have been cathartic for Harry, but it also added another layer of complexity to his relationship with the Royal family.
Speaker 3: And then there are his ongoing legal battles with the British tabloid press, his fight for security in the UK, and you know, according to sources, he's not currently in contact with his family. It sounds like a very difficult and isolating situation.
Speaker 4: It highlights the immense pressure he's under juggling these legal battles, his personal life and his desire to carve out a new path for himself and his family. The article even mentions that he skipped a close friend's wedding potentially because of his security concerns in the UK.
Speaker 3: It really makes you think about the personal cost of their choices, even with all the privilege and resources they have.
Speaker 4: Absolutely, their lives might seem glamorous from the outside, but they're dealing with real human challenges just like everyone else.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's a good reminder that even with their wealth and global platform, they're still navigating you know, family dynamics and public scrutiny and personal struggles.
Speaker 4: Right. Absolutely, now, shifting years a bit, I want to talk about the dynamic between Harry and Meghan themselves. Okay, a recurring theme in the article is this like palpable love they have for each other. Yeah, and multiple sources actually describe Meghan as the driving force in their partnership. Ah, It's like she's become the caregiver and facilitator, guiding your path forward.
Speaker 3: It is an interesting evolution, isn't it. Meghan, who was initially navigating the unfamiliar world of royalty, is now the one steering the ship. Right. Makes you wonder how those shifting roles might be impacting their relationship. Yeah, it does. And while the article highlights their strong connection, there's also this subtle suggestion of Harry possibly feeling isolated.
Speaker 1: M hm.
Speaker 3: You know, he's no longer in that familiar royal bubble, and he seems to be searching for his purpose outside of that context.
Speaker 4: That's such a crucial point. Imagine trying to define your place in the world when you've come from such a unique and restrictive background. Right, it's no wonder he might be grappling with those questions of identity and purpose.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it makes you think about all the assumptions we make about people based on their public image totally, especially when someone like Harry's made such a dramatic shift in his life Exactly.
Speaker 4: We tend to view public figures through a very narrow lens, right, but there's so much more happening beneath the surface.
Speaker 3: Speaking of public image, there's this interesting contradiction. The article points out their continued use of their royal titles even after stepping back from royal duties.
Speaker 4: Yeah, it definitely raises eyebrows. Their children, Archie and the Lillabete automatically became prince and princess when Charles became king, and there are even anecdotes about staff being asked to address Harry and Meghan as sir and ma'am.
Speaker 3: It's almost like they want to distance themselves from the institution of the monarchy but still maintain those privileges, and that elevated status sends a mixed message when you say, it.
Speaker 4: Does create a bit of a perception problem. As one commonator pointed out, you know, when they appear together in contexts outside of Harry's work with Invictus Games, it's not always clear what they represent right now.
Speaker 3: That's a great point. It makes those public appearances feel less impactful, like maybe there's still figuring out how to use their platform effectively.
Speaker 4: It also ties back into that criticism they receive for some of their royal tours, oh specifically those visits to Nigeria and Colombia.
Speaker 3: Right The article touches on that, highlighting this inherent conflict wanting to brave free from the constraints of the monarchy while still leveraging its symbolic power.
Speaker 4: It's a delicate balancing act and one they haven't quite mastered yet now.
Speaker 3: Beyond their global image, the article also delves into their life in Montecito. Oh, and it suggests that their relationship with the community hasn't been entirely rosy. Oh, they've actually become somewhat of local villains, with some residents blaming them for rising housing prices and increased media attention.
Speaker 4: It's a fascinating example of the unintended consequences of fame and wealthy. You know, they might have envisioned a peaceful retreat in Montecito, but their presence has clearly disrupted the community in ways they may not have anticipated.
Speaker 3: And it doesn't help that they're rarely seen interacting with locals. Yeah, they've been spotted at high profile events like Ellen DeGeneres's vow renewal, Seragoy, right, or Harry playing polo, but they seem to exist in a bit of a bubble.
Speaker 4: It feeds into that perception of them being detached from the realities of the community they now call home.
Speaker 3: Okay, before we move on, I have to ask about Megan's new lifestyle brand, American Riviera Orchard or Aro. Okay, it sounds intriguing, but apparently it's already encountered some obstacles.
Speaker 4: Oh yeah, definitely for starters, the trademark application was rejected, and there's potential conflict with another brand called Harry and David.
Speaker 3: Oh wow.
Speaker 4: And then there's the name itself, American Riviera Orchard.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 4: The article mentions that no one really calls Montecito the American Riviera anymore, so the brand feels a bit dated right out of the gate.
Speaker 3: It's a stark contrast to her previous success with her lifestyle blog The Tig, which really resonated with a certain audience. With ar it feels like she might have misjudged what people are looking for. Yeah, and speaking of misjudgments, there's this pretty shocking rumor. The article reveals about Megan's team exploring a book concept centered on a hypothetical divorce from Harry.
Speaker 4: Now, it's crucial to emphasize that this was simply an exploration of a potential idea. There's no indication that a divorce is imminent or even being seriously considered.
Speaker 3: Still, it's a pretty eyebrow raising detail to include, especially an article that's largely focused on their post royal life together. Yeah, it does make you wonder what's happening behind closed doors.
Speaker 4: It speaks to the constant speculations surrounding their relationship and their future. Even though they've shared so much of their lives publicly, there's still this sense of mystery that keeps people guessing.
Speaker 3: It's like we're all invested in the next chapter of their story, even if we don't fully understand what motivates them.
Speaker 4: It's the power of a good narrative, yeah, keeps us hooked, even when we're not sure where it's headed.
Speaker 3: Absolutely now. The article concludes by reflecting on their ongoing efforts to change the world, a phrase they've used repeatedly, but even those who've worked closely with them seem unsure of what that actually means in practice.
Speaker 4: It's a valid question. Are they truly committed to creating meaningful change or are they more focused on the optics of philanthropy and activism.
Speaker 3: It's easy to be cynical, especially given their lavish lifestyle and their tendency to court media attention, but I also want to believe that they're genuinely motivated by a desire to make a positive impact.
Speaker 4: It's a complex issue, and ultimately it's up to each individual to decide what they believe right. But what we can do is analyze their actions, understand the nuances of their approach, and assess whether their efforts are aligning with their stated goals.
Speaker 3: That's what we're aiming to do here, right, to provide our listeners with the information and insights they need to form their own opinions.
Speaker 4: Exactly. We're not here to pass judgment, but to encourage critical thinking and thoughtful engagement with the topic.
Speaker 3: So, five years into this post royal life, where do you think Harry and Megan stand. Are they finding their footing or are they still searching for their true place in the world.
Speaker 4: I think it's a bit of both. Okay, they're clearly forging their own path, but it's been far from a smooth journey, right. They've encountered setbacks, made missteps, and faced a relentless barrage of criticism.
Speaker 3: And yet they seem to be pushing forward undeterred.
Speaker 4: There's a resilience to them, a determination to defy expectations and create their own version of success, whatever that might look like.
Speaker 3: And whether we agree with their methods or not, there's no denying that they're keeping us all captivated. Yeah, their story is far from.
Speaker 4: Over, absolutely, and this deep dive into the vanity fair article has given us a glimpse into the intricacies of their journey, the challenges they've encountered, and the questions that still linger.
Speaker 3: They're shifting gears slightly. I want to talk about one one particular aspect of Megan's approach to creating change that the article highlights. Okay, her focus on personal connection and empathy.
Speaker 1: Huh.
Speaker 3: Several people shared stories about her reaching out to them during difficult times, offering support and solace.
Speaker 4: It's a fascinating parallel to Princess Diana.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it does make you wonder if that genuine empathy is part of what fuels her drive to change the world. As they say, Yeah, it's like she sees those individual acts of kindness as a microcosm of the larger impact she hopes to make.
Speaker 4: Right. But the article also touches on this specific anecdote that Megan often brings up about writing a letter to Procter and Gamble as a teenager complaining about a sexist soap commercial.
Speaker 3: Oh right, I remember hearing about that. Yeah, she claims her letter led them to change the ad. But do we actually know if her letter was like the catalyst for the change.
Speaker 4: Well, Procter and Gamble has been pretty evasive about confirming Meghan's direct role in the AD's revision. Ok, However, they did partner with archwell you years ago, right, so there's clearly some connection there.
Speaker 3: It seems like that story holds a lot of significance for Megan.
Speaker 1: It does.
Speaker 3: Yeah, It's almost like she sees it as a model for her aspirations, a demonstration of how even a single voice can spark change.
Speaker 4: It's a powerful narrative, Yeah, But it also raises questions about the effectiveness of such symbolic gestures and the grand scheme of things. Right, Can a letter or even a celebrity endorsement truly create lasting systemic change.
Speaker 3: It's a valid point. Maybe it's about planting seeds, shifting perspectives rather than expecting immediate, sweeping change. Yeah. But circling back to this idea of changing the world, the article quotes someone who worked closely with Harry and Meghan saying they don't seem to have a clear definition of what that actually means for them. Yeah, and that's a critique they faced repeatedly. Isn't it that their vision for change lacks focus? That they're spreading themselves too thin across various causes and ventures. Yeah, it's easy to get caught up in the world wind of opportunities when you have platform as big as theirs, Right, But I also appreciate their willingness to experiment, to try different approaches, even if they haven't quite found their sweet spot yet.
Speaker 4: I think that's a fair assessment. They're clearly passionate about making a difference, but maybe still figuring out how to channel that passion into concrete, impactful action.
Speaker 3: Okay, So, as we wrap up this deep dive into Harry and Meghan five years after their royal exit, I'm curious to hear your final takeaway. Okay, what stands out to you most from all of us?
Speaker 4: I think for me, it's this constant tension between their desire for privacy and their need for attention. They seem to crave both simultaneously, which creates this you know, push and pull dynamic that's fascinating to observe.
Speaker 3: I see that. It's like they're trying to rewrite the rules of celebrity, Yeah, but haven't quite cracked the code yet exactly.
Speaker 4: They want to control the narrative to protect their privacy, but they also need the spotlight to amplify their message and achieve their goals. It's a constant balancing act.
Speaker 3: And we haven't even touched on the impact all of this has on the people around them, you know, staff, their collaborators, even their neighbors in Montecito.
Speaker 4: That's an important point. The article does shed light on the ripple effects of their decisions and actions, both positive and negative.
Speaker 3: Right.
Speaker 4: It's a reminder that even those with the best intentions can sometimes create unintended consequences.
Speaker 3: Right, which brings us to the central question that lingers after this deep dive. Can Harry and Megan truly win?
Speaker 4: Yeah?
Speaker 3: Can they achieve their goals, find fulfillment and earn the respect they crave, all while navigating the treacherous waters of fame and public scrutiny.
Speaker 4: Only time will tell, right, But one thing is certain. Their story is far from over. They're still evolving, still figuring things out, still searching for their place in the world.
Speaker 3: It's been a fascinating journey so far, and I have a feeling the next chapter will be just as captivating.
Speaker 4: I absolutely agree, and this Vanity Fair article has has given us a lot to think about as we continue to follow their story.
Speaker 3: It's been a truly insightful conversation and to our listeners, we encourage you to continue exploring this topic, forming your own opinions, and staying tuned for more deep dives into the most fascinating stories of our time.
Speaker 2: Thank you, and that is it for this edition of Palace Weekly. Please follow us on Spotify, Apple or the app of your choice. I'm Mark Francis My thanks to you, John McDermott. This is Palace Weekly. Good Times