Speaker 1: Have you ever wondered what truly goes on behind the digital curtain? How the very best defenders learn to think like whoa malicious actors all to keep our online world safer. Today, we're taking a deep dive into the fascinating realm of ethical hacking and penetration testing. Our mission to unpack the core concepts, the practical techniques, and the essential tools that empower individuals to understand and secure digital systems from the inside out.
Speaker 2: Really yeah, and our guide for this journey is the comprehensive book Learn Ethical Hacking from Scratch by Zaid Sabi. What's great is that this resource assumes no prior knowledge. It offers a truly ground up approach, which makes it perfect for our exploration today.
Speaker 1: Absolutely so, whether you're simply curious about cybersecurity, maybe looking to fortify your own digital defenses, or just love to understand how things work at the deepest level, this deep dive will give you a shortcut to being well informed and honestly with some truly surprising facts along the way. Get ready for some illuminating in sites, because we're about to unpack how ethical hackers learn to protect systems by understanding how to test their security just like well, real attackers do. Okay, So the term ethical hacking it almost sounds like an oxymoron to some people. Could you really break down for us how hacking can truly be ethical and what that critical distinction means, especially when we talk about black hat versus white hat hackers.
Speaker 2: Absolutely, it's a good question. At its core, ethical hacking is about learning to test the security of systems exactly as real attackers would. But and this is key, with explicit permission. Always it's all in the service of strengthening those systems, finding the holes before the bad guys do. To critical distinction, so we differentiate between black hat hackers who operate maliciously, you know, for criminal gain or disruption. Then there are gray hat hackers who kind of blur the lines, sometimes maybe finding a flaw and disclosing it, but maybe not always with permission first. And then white hat hackers, the ethical professionals we're focusing on today. Their intent is always to secure.
Speaker 1: Right, good guys using the same skills exactly.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and this raises an important question. Yeah, why should you listening right now learn about hacking even if you never intend to be a penetration tester. The fundamental reason is to truly understand vulnerabilities, you need to know how things break to build stronger, more resilient defenses. The book highlights a crucial point here. Any electronic device you interact with, your phone, your smart TV, your laptop, even web servers and routers, Yeah, they're all at their heart computers running operating systems and programs h as. The concepts we're discussing today are broadly applicable to pretty much anything in your digital life.
Speaker 1: One aspect that really opened my eyes when exploring this was the absolute necessity of a dedicated lab environment. You can't just go testing these techniques out on like your neighbor's WiFi.
Speaker 2: Right, Definitely not. That's illegal and unethical. This is where virtual box comes in. It's a program, it's free, and allows you to install virtual machines. Think of them as completely separate, isolated computers inside your main machine. This is incredibly important for penetration testing because well, first it avoids needing multiple physical computers, save space and money. And second, it completely isolates your hacking activities from your main system, so you can experiment break things, really push the limits.
Speaker 1: Without damaging your actual computer.
Speaker 2: Exactly, and then you can easily revert back if something goes wrong, no harm done to your primary setup.
Speaker 1: So what does this typical lab look like? What machines are we talking about?
Speaker 2: Yeah? In a typical setup, we work with three main virtual machines. First, our tacker machine. This usually runs Collie.
Speaker 1: Linux Collie, right, I've heard of that.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Collie is a specialized distribution of Linux based on Debian. It comes pre installed with i mean pretty much all the necessary penetration testing tools you'd need. Running it as a virtual machine is ideal for isolation, like we said, and makes it super easy to recover if things go sideways.
Speaker 1: Okay, attacker machine Collie. What else?
Speaker 2: Then we need victims. Our first victim is usually metasploid. It's another Linux machine. But here's the crucial detail. It's designed to be highly.
Speaker 1: Vulnerable, ah intentionally weak.
Speaker 2: Precisely, it's built specifically for learning penetration testing. It has numerous known weaknesses built right in for you to practice finding and exploiting.
Speaker 1: Got it, and the second victim.
Speaker 2: The second victim is usually a standard Windows machine, maybe Windows ten or something similar. This is used for scenarios that mimic a normal user browsing the internet, clicking links, opening files.
Speaker 1: Makes sense simulating a realistic target exactly.
Speaker 2: And Microsoft actually offers free virtual machine versions for developers and testers, which is really convenient for setting up these realistic attack simulations.
Speaker 1: Okay, attacker two victims. What about that recovery feature you mentioned right.
Speaker 2: That's snapshots a core feature of Virtual Box. It becomes absolutely invaluable. Think of snapshots like instant bookmarks for your virtual machine.
Speaker 1: State, like a safe point in a game, kind of like that.
Speaker 2: Yeah, they allow you to save the exact state of a virtual machine at any point in time. So let's say you're trying to exploit and you completely mess up the victim machine, maybe crash the operating system or something. If you took a snapshot beforehand, you can instantly revert right back to that previous working state.
Speaker 1: Wow, Okay, that sounds essential for learning It really is.
Speaker 2: A common practice is to take a fresh install snapshot right after setting everything up. Then if an update breaks something or an experiment goes totally wrong, boom, You're back to that clean slate in seconds, ready to try again, no reinstalling needed.
Speaker 1: Okay, that makes setting up a lab feel much less daunting. Now, Collie Linux, I know it has a graphical interface, but I hear you quickly move past that.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Collie has a nice graphical interface. GUI looks familiar like Windows or macOS. But you're right, you quickly pitt to the terminal the command line.
Speaker 1: Why is that? Why is the terminal so central?
Speaker 2: Well, the Linux terminal is just incredibly powerful. It lets users do far more than the GUI in many cases, and often it's much easier and quicker for specific tasks once you.
Speaker 1: Get the hang of it, faster than clicking around definitely for many things.
Speaker 2: But more importantly, in many real world penetration tests, you might only gain access via command prompt on the target, may through SSH or some other remote shell. If you don't know the commands, you can't do anything. So mastering the terminal is absolutely essential for controlling compromise systems effectively.
Speaker 1: Makes sense. So what are some basic commands people should know?
Speaker 2: Let's touch on a few foundational ones. The al's command, for instance, it lists files and.
Speaker 1: Directories like Dirt and Windows.
Speaker 2: Exactly like Dirt and Windows, and you can add options like ls L gives you a long listing with more detail, permissions, dates, file, sizes, etc. If you're ever unsure about any command, man which stands for manual, or just adding help or ad H after the command, those are your best friends.
Speaker 1: Ah built in help yep, they'll.
Speaker 2: Give you comprehensive information on how to use almost any command. It's a critical earning tool and a huge time saver. Almost a reflex for experienced users is the tab button for what for autocompletion? Start typing a command or a file name, Hit tab and the system will try to complete it for you or show you the possibilities if there's more than one.
Speaker 1: Oh. Nice safe typing and avoids typos.
Speaker 2: Huge time saver. Yeah, makes complex commands feel much more intuitive. Then there's CD for changing directories navigating around the filesystem, and PUD prints your current working directory so you know where you are. We also use app to get or just appt now. Usually that's for managing software, updating the list of available software, installing new programs, upgrading existing ones. Keeps your COLLY set.
Speaker 1: Up fresh, got it basics covered? Lab set up understood? Where do we go first?
Speaker 2: Okay, with our virtual lab ready, The first frontier and ethical hacker typically explores is the network itself. You know, the invisible pathways connecting all our devices. Network penetration testing could be broadly divided into let's say four main sections. There's pre connection stuff you do before even connecting, then gaining access, then post connection what you do once you are in, and finally detection and security aspects.
Speaker 1: Okay, logical steps, and we're starting with wireless.
Speaker 2: Yeah, let's focus on wireless networks initially. To start cracking Wi Fi, you'll first need to get your wireless adapter properly connected and configured inside your Colli Virtual Machine.
Speaker 1: How does that work? The VM is software, the adapter is hardware.
Speaker 2: Good point. This often requires installing the Virtual Box Extension pack first that enables better USB device support. Then you can essentially pass through your physical USB Wi Fi adapter to the COLLIVM so Collie can see it and control it directly. Not all adapters work well for this, mind you, some are better than others for hacking.
Speaker 1: Okay, so you need the right hardware and setup. Now. Something fundamental about networks is MSS addresses. You mentioned them earlier. Every network card has this unique physical static media access control address right assigned by the manufacturer. Why is the static identify or important?
Speaker 2: Here it's fundamental because MIC addresses are used for device identification and packet transfer at the very lowest level of the local network layer two for the technical folks. But here's the kicker, the surprising part for many. You can change your MSSEA.
Speaker 1: You can change a physical address.
Speaker 2: Well, you change what your operating system reports as your Mac address. It's called spoofing. This allows you to do a couple of things. You can avoid being easily traced while performing tests, making your activity less obvious. Or you could potentially impersonate a legitimate white listed device on a network, maybe a printer or an authorized laptop to bypass MAAC filtering security and gain access.
Speaker 1: Wow. Okay, so even fundamental identifiers aren't always fixed. That's insightful.
Speaker 2: It highlights that many things we assume are fixed in networking can actually be manipulated.
Speaker 1: Okay, so we understand how devices identify themselves and that we can even spoof that. What's the next step? Listening in exactly?
Speaker 2: The next logical step is to actually listen in on the digital conversations happening on the airwaves around you, even if you're not part of the chat. This is packets new.
Speaker 1: How do you do that with Wi Fi, you need to put.
Speaker 2: Your Wi Fi card into what's called monitor mode. Normal Wi Fi mode only pays attention to trafficman for your device or the network you're connected to. Monitor mode is different. It allows you to capture any compatible Wi Fi packet within your physical range, regardless of who it's for, even if you're not connected to any network at all, like.
Speaker 1: A radio scanner for Wi Fi signals.
Speaker 2: That's a great analogy. Yeah, And a powerful tool for this is aero dumping. It's part of the popular air cracking suite. You're run aero dumping and it starts capturing all the packets at seas, showing you all the Wi Fi networks around you, their names, esds, their hardware addresses, bssids, the channel thereon, the type of encryption they're using, lots of useful info.
Speaker 1: And what do you do with all those captured packets.
Speaker 2: Well, aero dumping captures them, often saving them to a file. Then you can use another tool like the incredibly powerful wire shark to open that file and analyze the packets in detail.
Speaker 1: Wire Shark that sounds familiar.
Speaker 2: It's a standard tool for a network analysis used by network admins. And security pros alike. It gives you a graphical view of every single packet, lets you filter, search, and dissect the traffic, even if the data payload is encrypted. Just seeing the patterns of communication can sometimes be revealing.
Speaker 1: So we can listen. Can we also actively disrupt things? I read about diuthentication attacks? What are those?
Speaker 2: Yes? Absolutely? De Authentication attacks are interesting. They allow you to selectively disconnect specific devices, or even all devices from a Wi Fi network. You do this by sending specially crafted authentication packets that look like they came from the access point. The router telling the target device you're no longer authorized, please.
Speaker 1: Disconnect, and the device just disconnects.
Speaker 2: Usually yes, it obeys the command. Now, this isn't about gaining access to the network's data yourself. It's purely about disruption. Or sometimes it's used tactically, as we'll see later.
Speaker 1: Okay, disruption. What about tricking people fake networks?
Speaker 2: Ah? Yes? Building on that, we learn about setting up fake access points, often called evil to wins. This involves creating a rogue Wi Fi network, maybe with the same name as a legitimate nearby network like airport free Wi Fi or coffee shop Guests.
Speaker 1: To lure people into connecting to your network instead of the real one.
Speaker 2: Precisely, you trick users into connecting, and when they do, all their Internet traffic flows directly through your Collie machine. You effectively become their router. Tools like the Manna toolkit used to be popular for automating this, making it easier to set up sophisticated fake aps.
Speaker 1: And once you're their router.
Speaker 2: Once you're the man in the metal, you can capture and analyze all their unencrypted traffic. Using wire Shark, you can see websites they visit, maybe capture credentials entered on insecure sites. It gives you a lot of visibility into their activity.
Speaker 1: That sounds incredibly powerful and quite scary from a user perspective.
Speaker 2: It is. It highlights the danger of connecting to unknown or unsecured Wi Fi networks.
Speaker 1: Okay, so disruption observation. Let's talk about actually gaining access to encrypted networks. Most networks today use WPA two, maybe WPA three. Now, how do you get the password right?
Speaker 2: Getting the key is the main goal for accessing recruited networks. The strategy depends on the encryption type. For the really old WBP encryption well, it's fundamental broken. There are attacks that can recover the wpke relatively quickly, sometimes even if no one is actively using the network. It's just not secure at all anymore.
Speaker 1: So avoid WEP at all costs.
Speaker 2: Absolutely. WPA and especially WPA TOWPA three are much stronger. The evolution from wp wasn't just about better encryption algorithms. It was about fixing fundamental flaws in the connection process. But even WPA two isn't impenetrable yet. These techniques expose is that even robust encryption can sometimes be bypassed by exploiting the connection process itself, not necessarily the encryption algorithm directly. How So, for WPPA two, the main attack focuses on capturing the handshake. This is a crucial four way exchange of cryptographic messages that happens only when a device connects or reconnects to the network.
Speaker 1: The handshake contains information related to the passwords exactly.
Speaker 2: It doesn't contain the password directly, but it contains information derived from the password that can be used to verify if a guest password is correct. So the goal is to capture that handshake. You just wait for someone to connect naturally or you can use those do authentication attacks.
Speaker 1: We talked about, AH force someone to disconnect.
Speaker 2: So they automatically try to reconnect moments later, allowing you to reliably capture that handshake as they do. It's a tactical use of the death attack.
Speaker 1: Okay, clever, So you've captured the handshake file. Now what how do you get the actual password?
Speaker 2: Now comes the cracking part. The handshake itself doesn't give you the password. You need to perform an offline brute force or dictionary attack against the captured handshake data. This is where tools that generate password possibilities come in, like crunch Crunch.
Speaker 1: What does it do?
Speaker 2: Crunch is a flexible tool for creating custom word lists. You don't just have to use pre made dictionaries of common passwords. You can tell Crunch, for instance, generate all possible passwords between eight and ten characters long using only lowercase letters and the numbers one, two, three, or define more complex patterns.
Speaker 1: So you create massive lists of potential.
Speaker 2: Password potentially massive yes. Then you take the captured handshake file and you feed it, along with your generated word list or a banner dictionary file into a cracking tool like air cracking. Air cracking down then tries each password from the list against the handshake data. If it finds a password that successfully validates the handshake, you found.
Speaker 1: The network key, which really just highlights the importance of having a strong, complex Wi Fi password absolutely.
Speaker 2: The difficulty of cracking depends entirely on the strength and length of the password. A shirt simple password might be cracked in minutes or hours, A long, complex, random one could take years, decades, or even centuries with current technology.
Speaker 1: Okay, so that covers gaining access. Now let's talk about what happens after you're connected to a network. Man in the middle attacks. You mentioned them with fake aps, but they apply once you're on a legitimate network too, right.
Speaker 2: Yes, Man in the middle or mitm IT attacks are incredibly powerful. Once you're on the same local network as your target, maybe you crack the Wi Fi or you plugged into the same wired network, you can potentially redirect their traffic through your machine.
Speaker 1: So you sit between the target user and the router.
Speaker 2: Essentially, yes, you become the invisible intermediary. This allows you to read, modify, or even drop their network packets, and crucially, it often allows you to capture sensitive information like usernames and passwords entered on websites.
Speaker 1: How does that redirection actually work? Technically? How do you trick their computer into sending traffic to you instead of the real router.
Speaker 2: What's fascinating and maybe a bit alarming, is how this often works due to the inherent simplicity and trust built into a fundamental network protocol called ARP, the Address Resolution Protocol ARP.
Speaker 1: What's its job?
Speaker 2: Think of ARP as the network's local address book. On local network devices use IP addresses ninety two point one sixty eight point one one zero zero to talk to each other, but the actual data transfer at the lowest level uses those physical MQ addresses we discussed. AARP's job is simply to ask, hey, who has IP address one ninety two point one sixty eight point one one zero zero, Tell me your AMC address, and the device with that IP responds with its MK. It's designed for efficiency.
Speaker 1: But that simplicity makes it vulnerable.
Speaker 2: Exactly, It's largely based on trust. There's no built in verification, so using a technique called ARP spoofing or AIRP poisoning, your attacking machine can send out unsolicited ARP replies. You basically tell the target computer, hey, the router's IP address like one hint two point one six eight point one point one, that's my MSA address now, and simultaneously you tell the router, hey, the target's IP address one ninety two point one six eight point one one zero zero, that's my MAAC address.
Speaker 1: So you trick both of them into sending traffic meant for each other to you instead.
Speaker 2: Precisely you insert yourself into the conversation. Tools like the MTMF the Man in the Middle framework automate this whole process beautifully. MITMS performs the AARP poisoning to redirect trap, and automatically starts various sniffing and attack plugins for you. The book provides a compelling example using MITMF to capture usernames and passwords submitted to plane HTTP websites like a test site called hack dot me. Just by being the MITM the credentials pop right up on your screen as the victim logs.
Speaker 1: In plan HTTP. That's the key there, right. What about secure sites HTTPS?
Speaker 2: Ah? Yes, that's the big hurdle HTTPS. When you try an MITM attack on a site using HTTPS, the encryption kicks in the browser. Expect the valid digital certificate from the website signed by a trusted authority. Your MITM tool can't provide that genuine certificate.
Speaker 1: So the browser throws up a warning.
Speaker 2: Exactly, the user gets a big, scary warning message saying that connection is in private, the certificate is invalid. Most users hopefully would back away.
Speaker 1: At that point, so HTTTS works. But is there a way around that warning?
Speaker 2: Well, this is where a clever tool called SSL strip comes in and understanding this is a truly illuminating insight into how some attacks work. SSL strip works during the initial connection attempt. If a user types, say example, dot Com into their browser, the browser might first try to connect via HTTP before being redirected to the HTTPS. SSL strip, running on the MITM machine, intercepts that initial HTDP request. It then connects to the real server over eahttps itself, but it presents the website back to the victim over PLANEAHTTP.
Speaker 1: It strips away the SSLTLS layer.
Speaker 2: Effectively yes for the connection between the victim and the attacker. The victims browser thinks it's talcking HGTP, so it doesn't expect a certificate and therefore no warning appears, but the attacker is still getting the data securely from the real server and decrypting it or passing it along.
Speaker 1: Wow, so it downgrades the connection silently.
Speaker 2: Yes, it makes sniffing the traffic trivial again, even if the original site uses HTTPS. Interestingly, MITMF often starts sslstrip or its successor SSL strip plus for you automatically when you run it.
Speaker 1: That sounds like a huge security hole. Is there a defense against SSL strip?
Speaker 2: Yes, thankfully, there's a crucial limitation that highlights the ongoing security evolution HSTS, which stends for HTTP strict transport security. Websites like Google, Facebook, Banks, etc. Use HSTS. They send a special header to your browser the first time you connect securely. This header tells you browser, for the next x months only ever connect to me using HTTPS, never even try HTTP.
Speaker 1: So the browser doesn't even make that initial insecure request that SSL strip relies on exactly.
Speaker 2: The browser has HSTS rules pre loaded for major sites, and it remembers the HSTS policy for others after the first visit. This means that on modern browsers, visiting sites that use HSTS properly, SSL strip is largely ineffective. It's a great example of security measures evolving to counter new attacks.
Speaker 1: Okay, that's reassuring, But what if the target isn't typing a password. Say they logged into a site yesterday and click remember Me. They're authenticated by cookies then, right, not passwords.
Speaker 2: That's a very important point. Yes, users are often authenticated for ongoing sessions using cookies, not by re entering their password every time they click a link, and these cookies can also be captured during an MITM attack, even over eahttps if SSL strip is working or if the cookie wasn't properly secured by the website.
Speaker 1: So you grab their session cookie exactly.
Speaker 2: The technique is to sniff out those session cookies using your MITM tools. Then you can take that cookie value and inject it into your own browser's cookie storage for that website. If you then visit the website, the server sees the valid session cookie and thinks you are the already authenticated.
Speaker 1: User, so you can bypass the login process entirely and just hijack their existing session.
Speaker 2: Precisely, you log into their account without ever needing their password. It's a powerful demonstration of how seemingly innocuous pieces of data like cookies can hold the keys to a user's online identity. If not handled securely.
Speaker 1: Okay, this MITM stuff is powerful. You mentioned wire Shark earlier for analyzing captured packets. How does it fit into this MITM scenario? Is it just for Wi Fi sniffing?
Speaker 2: Oh? No, wire shark is essential throughout well. Tools like MITMF might show you the important stuff like castured passwords automatically. Wireshort gives you the full raw picture of everything going through your network interface during the MITM attack. Everything everything, every DNS request, every HTTP request and response, every weird protocol you didn't know was running. You select your network interface in wire shark, the one MITMF is using to pass traffic, and it logs all the traffic flowing through it. Then you can use its powerful graphical interface and filtering capabilities to dissect that traffic. You can filter specifically for HTTP traffic, or look for packets containing HTTP dot cookie, or filter for PUST requests which often carry log inform data so.
Speaker 1: You can find credentials or cookies that maybe in my TMF didn't automatically flag exactly.
Speaker 2: Or you can analyze other protocols, troubleshoot why something isn't working, or just get a much deeper understanding of what's happening under the hood. It captures everything flowing through that interface, giving you a comprehensive view, not just the highlights. It's an indispensable tool for both offense and defense.
Speaker 1: Right it seems like understanding these tools is crucial for anyone serious about security. Okay, let's shift gears a bit. We've been talking a lot about network level attacks. Let's move towards gaining direct access to the computer devices themselves. The book details two main approaches here, server side attacks versus client side attacks. What's the fundamental difference between those?
Speaker 2: Good transition The core difference lies in whether user interaction is required. Server side attacks target vulnerabilities and software running on the remote server, the operating system itself or services like web server, database server, FTP server, etc. The key here is no user interaction is needed on the target's part.
Speaker 1: You just attack the service directly exactly.
Speaker 2: You find a flaw, maybe a known vulnerability and an outdated piece of software, a default password that was never changed, a misconfiguration, or complex flaws like SQL injection or buffer overflows will discuss later, and you exploit it directly over the network, for example, using a framework like metasploit. You might explore a known backdoor in an old version of an FTP server like vsftpd to gain full control.
Speaker 1: Okay, so that's server side. What about client side?
Speaker 2: Client side attacks, on the other hand, do require some form of user interaction. The vulnerability isn't necessarily on a server waiting to be attacked. It's often exploited when the user performs an action like clicking a link exactly like clicking a malicious link, opening an infected email attachment, installing a fake software update, maybe even just visiting a compromise website that exploits a browser vulnerability. Because of this human element, information gathering about the person, their habits, their interests, the software they use becomes incredibly important for crafting a successful client side attack. This is where social engineering really comes into play.
Speaker 1: Okay, service side targets the machine software. Client side often targets the user's actions. You mentioned metasploit again, it sounds like a key tool. Can you elaborate on it.
Speaker 2: Metasplate is huge. It's arguably the most widely used framework for penetration testing and exploit development. Think of it as a massive toolkit and database for finding, crafting, and launching exploits.
Speaker 1: How is it structured.
Speaker 2: It's organized into various components or modules. You have exploits, which are the actual pieces of code that take advantage of a specific vulnerability in a system or application. There are thousands of exploits in metasploit for all sorts of software. Then, once an exploit successfully breaches a system, it typically delivers a payload.
Speaker 1: Payloads What are they?
Speaker 2: Payloads are the small pieces of malicious code that actually execute on the target after the vulnerability has been exploited. They define what you want to do once you get in. Do you want a simple command show? Do you want a more advanced remote control agent? That's what the payload determines.
Speaker 1: Are there different tins of payloads?
Speaker 2: Yes. Broadly speaking, there are two main types, based on how the connection is established. Bind payloads. These open a specific network port on the target machine, listening for an incoming connection. The attack then connects to the compromise target.
Speaker 1: Okay, the target listens, the attacker connects.
Speaker 2: Right, but that often gets blocked by firewalls protecting the target machine because figure walls are usually configured to block unexpected incoming connections. So the other type is often more effective reverse.
Speaker 1: Payloads reverse, so the target connects back to the attacker exactly.
Speaker 2: The payload on the target machine initiates an outgoing connection back to a listening port on the attacker's machine.
Speaker 1: Why is that more powerful.
Speaker 2: Because firewalls are typically much more permissive at allowing outgoing connections from the machines they protect. People need to browse the web, check email, et cetera. So an outgoing connection from the target back to the attacker often bypasses firewall rules.
Speaker 1: Clever sneaking out instead of breaking in precisely.
Speaker 2: For example, using a payload like Windows mitrepre reverse TTP, or reverse TTPs is very common. These make the backdoor connection look like standard web traffic using ports eighty or four to forty three, making it even harder to detect amongst legitimate web browsing.
Speaker 1: Interpreter is that a specific type of payload.
Speaker 2: Yes, Interpreter is an advanced payload within metasploit. Instead of just giving you a basic command shell, it provides a powerful extensible command and control agent with lots of built in capabilities for post exploitation, which we'll get to later.
Speaker 1: Okay, metasploit sounds critical Before you can exploit though you need to find vulnerabalities, how do ethical hackers scan for weaknesses?
Speaker 2: Right? Reconnaissance and scanning are crucial first steps. You need to know what doors are open before you try to pick the locks. There are various tools. One approach integrated with metaploit itself is using MSFC, the Metaploit Community Interface or similar commercial versions. This provides a web based UI for metaploit. You can point it at a target IP address or range and it will perform scans to discover open ports, identify the services running on those ports like web server, FTP, SSH, and often even identify the specific software versions.
Speaker 1: And it links those findings to exploits.
Speaker 2: Yes, that's the really useful part. It often maps the discovered services and versions directly to known exploits available within the metasploid framework. In some cases, for well known vulnerabilities on unpatched systems like our Metasploitable Victim machine, it might even allow for one click exploitation directly from the web interface.
Speaker 1: Makes it sound easy.
Speaker 2: For known simple vulnerabilities, it can be, but real world systems are often more complex and patched. That's where more advanced scanners come in. Like Nextpose from rapid seven, who also manage metasploit or nessis from tenable.
Speaker 1: How is next pose different?
Speaker 2: Nextpose is a more comprehensive vulnerability management framework. It goes beyond just finding open ports and services. It performs deeper scans, identifies vulnerabilities with associated risk scores, and crucially, it often attempts to enumerate all installed software on the target system, not just network services.
Speaker 1: Why is knowing all installed software.
Speaker 2: Important because sometimes the initial exploit only gives you limited access. Knowing about other software installed on the machine might reveal opportunities for local privilege escalation, using a flaw in a locally installed program to gain higher administrative rights after you've already got a foothold. Nexpose also generates much more detailed and professional reports, which are essential for documenting findings in a professional penetration test.
Speaker 1: Okay, so scanning finds potential entry points. But what if the target is well protected no obvious server side flaws. That's when client side attacks and social engineering come back in.
Speaker 2: Exactly when direct server side attacks fail, or maybe the target isn't even directly reachable on the network behind multiple layers of firewalls, client side attacks become the primary vector, and these almost always involve some element of social engineering manipulating the human user.
Speaker 1: How do you make malware that works for this? Doesn't antivirus catch most things?
Speaker 2: Antivirus is a challenge, definitely. That's where tools like Veil Evasion, now part of the larger Veil framework, become relevant. Veil was specifically designed to generate payloads metasploit payloads in ways that attempt to evade detection by common antivirus solutions. It uses various techniques like encryption, code obfuscation, and different programming language wrappers.
Speaker 1: So you use VEIL to create an undetectable backdoor.
Speaker 2: That's the goal. Yes, you use VEIL to generate a malicious executable file, maybe backdoor, dot exe or something more convincingly named. This file contains your chosen payload, like a reverse interpreter shell. Then you need to get the user to run that file. While Veil tries to handle the antivirus evation, you still need the social engineering part, and on your end you set up metasploits multi handler exploit multi handler to listen for the incoming connection from that back door. Once the victim runs.
Speaker 1: It, right, the social engineering part how deep does that go?
Speaker 2: It can go very deep. At its heart, social engineering is the art or maybe science, of manipulating people to perform actions they shouldn't or divulge confidential information. This is where detailed information gathering about the person or the organization it really shines. You need to understand your target to craft a believable pretext.
Speaker 1: What tools help with gathering info on people?
Speaker 2: Maltago is a classic and incredibly powerful tool for open source intelligence gathering oh SINT. You start with a piece of information, maybe a Poston's name and email address, a company name, a website, and Maultago automatically queries numerous public data sources, search engines, social media, DNS records, whose databases, etc. To find related information. It then visually maps out the connections between people, websites, companies, email addresses, phone numbers, social media profiles like Twitter, LinkedIn Facebook documents they've shared. It can build a very detailed picture from publicly available data.
Speaker 1: So you use Multago to find out about your target, then what then you use.
Speaker 2: That information to build a plausible attack strategy or pretext. For example, if Maltago shows your target works at company X and frequently uses say WordPress. You might craft an attack pretending to be from WordPress support, offering them a link to download a new beta security plug in, which is actually your veil generated.
Speaker 1: Back door ah, making it relevant and seem legitimate exactly.
Speaker 2: The more tailored and believable the pretext, the higher the chance of success. Other practical techniques include things like changing the icon of your back door executable to make it look like a harmless file like a PDF or an image. Tools like auto it can help compile scripts that drop and run the real back door while maybe displaying a decoy document so.
Speaker 1: It looks like they opened a picture, but malware runs in the background precisely.
Speaker 2: There's even a trick. Using a special Unicode character called the right to left override RL character, you can name a file something like report augustrlo cod dot ex in Windows Explore. The ROL character reverses the order of the characters that follow it, so the file name might appear as report agustext dot dios hiding thereal dot ex extension can fool less cautious users.
Speaker 1: Wow, that's sneaky, it is.
Speaker 2: And another potent technique is email spoofing, sending an email that appears to come from someone the target nos and trust their boss, a colleague, a friend. If the email looks legitimate and comes from a trusted source, the target is far more likely to click a link or open an attachment containing your back door.
Speaker 1: It really underscores how much trust we place in digital communications and how that trust can be exploited.
Speaker 2: Absolutely, the human element is often the weakest link in the security chain.
Speaker 1: Okay, let's explore another angle of client side attacks. What if the target doesn't download or run anything, but simply browses a webpage you control or have compromised. Can you attack them through their browser?
Speaker 2: Yes? Definitely. This is where the BEEF tool comes in. BEEF stands for the Browser Exploitation Framework Browser exploitation.
Speaker 1: How does that work?
Speaker 2: BEEF allows you to hook a target's web browser and then run various commands and attacks directly within their browser context, often without them noticing immediately.
Speaker 1: How do you hook their browser?
Speaker 2: A target browser becomes hooked when it executes a small piece of JavaScript code provided by BEEF. You can achieve this in several ways. You could embed this JavaScript hook into a web page you control, maybe even a blank page. Then you use social engineering. Heycheck out this cool site or perhaps DNS spoofing during an MITM attack to redirect the victim to your page containing the hook. Or if you find a cross site scripting EXSS vulnerability on a legitimate website. We'll talk more about XSS later, you could inject the beef hook script there, hooking anyone who visits the compromise legitimate page.
Speaker 1: Okay, so their browser runs your JavaScript hook. What can you do then? Via beef?
Speaker 2: Once a browser is hooked, Beef offers a surprisingly vast array of commands and modules, all controlled from your attack or interface. You can gather information what browser and version are they using, what plugins are installed like Flash, Java often vulnerable. What's the internal IP address of their computer? What other websites do they have open in other tabs? Can you grab cookies for the current site.
Speaker 1: Just from them visiting a page if it's.
Speaker 2: Hooked, Yes, and then you can launch browser based attacks. You can display fake notification pop ups you do install this update, you can execute arbitrary JavaScript in their browser. You can attempt to redirect their browser to other malicious sites or fake login pages. There's a particularly nasty module called pretty theft. It can display very convincing fake login pop ups that float over the current page asking for credentials for sites like Facebook, LinkedIn, Gmail, generic webmail, hoping the user will type their password into your fake box.
Speaker 1: Wow, that's purely social engineering within.
Speaker 2: The browser exactly. But BEEF can go even further. It can act as a stepping stone to gain full system access. There are modules designed to, for example, display a fake notification bar at the top of the browser window, maybe mimicking a flash update or a browser plugin update. If the user clicks install update.
Speaker 1: It downloads and runs your back door.
Speaker 2: Precisely, BEEF can serve up your veil generated executable, tricking the user into installing it, and if they do, boom, you get a full mature procession back give you complete control over their computer, not just their browser.
Speaker 1: It's truly by opening how a simple web browser, something we use constantly can become such a powerful attack factor.
Speaker 2: It really is browser security. Keeping it updated and being cautious about what you click are incredibly important.
Speaker 1: Okay, this is all fascinating, but so far everything we've discussed, the lab set up, the network attacks, the client side stuff seems to assume everything is happening within your own local network inside that virtual box. Environment. How do you take these attacks out into the real world. How do you attack a target that's somewhere else entirely on the Internet outside your local network.
Speaker 2: That's a critical question for simulating realistic scenarios. You're right. Your virtual machines usually have local IP addresses like one ninety two point one, six eight dot x or ten dot xixodx that are directly reachable from the public Internet. The key technology here is port forwarding on your Internet router, the box your ISP gives you that connects your home network to the wider Internet.
Speaker 1: Port forwarding. How does that work?
Speaker 2: First, you need to know your network's public IP address. This is the address the rest of the Internet sees for your entire home network. You can usually find it easily by just searching what is my IP on Google from a computer on your network. Then you log into your router's administration interface. Somewhere in the settings there will be a section for port forwarding, or sometimes called virtual servers or application forwarding. Here you create rules. You tell a router, hey, if any traffic comes in from the Internet directed at my public IP address on a specific port number, say port eighty eighty, please forward that traffic inward to the local IP address of my Collie Linux virtual machine on that same port or a different one.
Speaker 1: So the router acts like a receptionist, directing incoming calls to the right internal extension.
Speaker 2: Perfect analogy. Yes, you're mapping an external port on your public IP to an internal port on your specific Callie machines local IP. You'd set up different rules for different services you want to expose. Maybe port eighty eighty for your backdoor listener port eighty if you're hosting a malicious website on Collie, Port three thousand for the beef UI if you want to hook external browsers.
Speaker 1: Okay, So forwarding makes your internal Collie services reachable via your public IP. How does that apply to backdoors?
Speaker 2: Right, let's talk about external backdoors. When you create your back door using a tool like veil evasion, you need to configure the payload. Specifically, you set the l host option. LOS tells the back door where to connect back to. For internal attacks within your lab, you set LOS to your Collie machine's local IP, but for an external attack, you set l host to your network's public IP address.
Speaker 1: Ah, so the backdoor tries to connect to your public IP from outside.
Speaker 2: Exactly the back door running on a victim machine somewhere else on the Internet attempts to initiate that reverse connection back to your public IP address on the port you specified Tree eighty eighty. Your router sees this incoming traffic on Court eighty eighty, your port forwarding rule kicks in the router force that connection inward to your Collie machine's local IP address, where your metasploit multi handler is listening, and you.
Speaker 1: Get the shell connecting the dots from external target through the Internet, through your router to your COLLIVM.
Speaker 2: Precisely, as an alternative to setting up individual port forwarding rules, some routers support putting a specific internal IP address into the DMZ or demilitarized zone. Putting your Collie machine's IP in the DMZ essentially forwards all incoming ports from the public IP directly to that internal machine. It's simply to set up, but less secure as exposes all of Collie's ports. Port Forwarding specific ports is generally safer.
Speaker 1: Okay, that makes sense, and seeing it work must be quite the moment.
Speaker 2: It really is, the truly insightful moment. The real aha comes when you demonstrate this end to end. Imagine you set up port forwarding from port eighty to your Collie machine, which is running a web server hosting your backdoor dot ex. Then you go to a completely separate computer on a totally different network, maybe using your phone's hotspot or at friend's house, open a browser typing your home network's public IP address, and download backdoor dot ex from your Collie web server. You run the back door on that external Windows machine and back on you your calling machine. You see the interpreter session open up, showing the connection coming from that truly external public IP address. That's when you really grasp how these attacks bridge the gap from the local lab to the global internet.
Speaker 1: That definitely paints a clear picture. Okay, so let's assume you've succeeded. You've used an exploit, maybe delivered a payload bypass the fire wall with a reverse connection. You've gained initial access to a system. What's next? What happens in the post exploitation phase.
Speaker 2: Right Getting access is often just the beginning. Post exploitation is all about what you do after you compromise a system. The main goals are usually to understand the system better, escalate your privileges if needed. Maintain your access persistently and potentially use this machine to attack others.
Speaker 1: Let's start with understanding the system you mentioned Interpreter earlier.
Speaker 2: Yes, if your payload was Interpreter, you get a very powerful interactive shell. It has lots of built in commands, specifically for post exploitation. You can run basic commands like sits info to get detailed information about the operating system, hardware, et cetera. PS lists all the running processes pwdn LS or durrors on Windows. Targets let you navigate the filesystem just like a local command prompt. You start exploring.
Speaker 1: What about making your access more stable?
Speaker 2: That's crucial process migration. Your initial access might have come through exploiting a vulnerability and say a user's web browser or a specific application. If the user closes that browser application, your interpreter session dies.
Speaker 1: With it, so you lose access exactly.
Speaker 2: Process migration involves injecting your materpreter agent from that initial unscable process into a different, more stable, long running process on the system. On Windows, migrating into something like Explorer dot exx, which handles the desktop or services dot ex is common. These processes almost never close while the system is running. This makes your access much more persistent for your current session.
Speaker 1: Okay, stable access, what else? Getting data definitely?
Speaker 2: Interpreter makes it easy to upload and download files between your Collie machine and the compromised target. You might want to download sensitive documents you find, or upload additional tools, maybe a.
Speaker 1: Keylogger, keyloggers to capture typing.
Speaker 2: Yes, Materpreter has modules to deploy keyloggers that capture every single keystroke the user types on their keyboard, passwords, emails, chat messages, documents, everything. It's incredibly invasive.
Speaker 1: And keeping access long term even after they reboot.
Speaker 2: Right. That's maintaining access or persistence. Just migrating processes keeps you alive for the current session, but if the computer reboots, you lose access again. Persistence techniques aim to ensure your backdoor runs automatically every time the system starts up. There are simpler methods. You could use valvation again to generate a backdoor designed to install itself as a system service. Materpreter itself also has persistent scripts or modules that try to set up basic startup entries in the registry or scheduled.
Speaker 1: Tasks, but those might get caught.
Speaker 2: They often do yes. These simpler methods can be detectable by anti virus or endpoint security software. The book hints a more advanced, robust methods for each ving persistence, often involving combining multiple techniques or using more sophisticated evasion tactics to ensure the back door remains active and hidden even after reboots without being easily detected. These often require a deeper understanding of the OS internals.
Speaker 1: Okay, persistence is key. What about attacking other computers from the one you just hacked?
Speaker 2: Ah, that's pivoting. This is a really important concept in penetration testing. Often the first machine you compromise might just be a regular user's workstation or a less critical server, but that machine might have access to other internal networks or servers that are not directly reachable by your calling machine from the outside.
Speaker 1: Like deeper inside their network exactly.
Speaker 2: Pivoting involves using the compromised computer as a stamping stone or a pivot to route your attack traffic through it to reach those other internal targets. For example, you might hack a Windows machine in their main office network, say one ninety two point one six eight point one point one zero. Then you discover, maybe through network scan from that Windows machine, that there's a separate internal server network, say ten point zero point zero point zero two four, that holds critical data, but your callie machine can't see it directly. You use the compromise Windows machine as a gateway. Metasploit has modules like run auto route that automatically add network routes through your materpreter session on the Windows box. The sales metasploit. Hey, if you want to talk to any machine on the ten point zero point one to network, send the traffic via the interpreter session running on one ninety two point one sixty eight point one point one towards zero.
Speaker 1: So you can then launch exploits from your callie machine against those internal servers, tunneling through the first victim.
Speaker 2: Precisely, it allows you to burrow deeper into a target network, moving laterally from system to system, starting from just one initial point of compromise. It's a fundamental technique for mapping out and compromising larger networks.
Speaker 1: Post exploitation seems just as complex, if not more so, than getting initial access.
Speaker 2: It often is. It requires a different set of skills. Understanding the target os, knowing how to move quietly and achieving specific without getting caught.
Speaker 1: Okay, we've covered networks devices, client side, server side. Let's transition now to website penetration testing, shifting focus from the underlying infrastructure to the web applications themselves. First off, what exactly is a website from an ethical hackers perspective? And how do you start gathering information specifically about a website target?
Speaker 2: Good question from our perspective. A website is essentially a web application, a collection of files and code installed on a web server, and that web server is just another computer running an OS with an IP address made accessible usually via a domain name like www dot example dot com. For example, that Metasploitable virtual machine we talked about. It runs a web server and it has website files like index, dot php, images, etc. In a specific directory. You can access its simple website just by typing Metasploitable's IP address into a browser on your Collie machine.
Speaker 1: Okay, so it's software on a server. How do you gather info on it? Is it like the osin tweeted for people?
Speaker 2: It's similar in principle, but focused on web technologies and infrastructure. Information gathering is just as critical for web targets. You start with things like a who's look up for the domain name. This can give you information about who registered the domain, the company name and address if they did use a privacy service, the domain name servers, which hinsit, their hosting provider, and sometimes technical contact email addresses.
Speaker 1: What else, what about the tech running the site?
Speaker 2: For that, tools and services like Netcraft are excellent. You can enter a website URL into Netcraft's site report tool and it will try to identify the technology as the website is using. Things like what web server software are they running? Apache injincs, Microsoft ISA, What server side programming languages are they using? Php? Java, dot Net, Python? Will client side JavaScript libraries jQuery React? Crucially, Netcraft can often identify specific web applications being used, like wordcres, Jumladruple, Magento. Knowing they're using say WordPress version xy immediately tell you to go research known vulnerabilities for that specific version ah.
Speaker 1: Finding known weaknesses in the software they use, mark exactly.
Speaker 2: Robtex is another useful service that provides a lot of related network information for a given domain or ip address, things like historical DNS records or related domains IPA, just neighbors.
Speaker 1: IP addressed neighbors. Why does that matter?
Speaker 2: This relates to the idea of websites on the same server. It's very common for web hosting companies to put multiple websites belonging to different customers, all in the same physical server sharing the same IP address. So if your target website seems really secure and you can't find any vulnerabilities on it directly, you can check what other websites are hosted on that same IP address. If you can find and exploit a vulnerability on one of those other, potentially less secure websites on the same server, gaining access to that site often means you gain access to the underlying server itself, and from there you can usually access the files and databases of your original target website.
Speaker 1: As well hack the neighbor to get into the target's house. Essentially, that's a.
Speaker 2: Good way to put it. It's a common technique. Another thing to look for is subdomains. Companies often have subdomains that aren't widely advertised, like dev dot example dot com, staging dot Example dot com, Beta dot example dot com, or maybe even admin dot example dot com. These subdomains might host experimental features, older versions of the application, or internal administrative interfaces that are often less secured or patched than the main public facing website. Finding improbing these hidden subdomains can be very fruitful.
Speaker 1: How do you find them if they're not advertised?
Speaker 2: There are tools that perform subdomain enumeration using various techniques like checking common names, admin, test, dev, etc. Querying DNS records, using search engines, creatively or even brute forcing potential subdomain names. Finally, information gathering also involves looking for sensitive files and directories directly on the web server that might have been left exposed. Maybe developers left behind configuration files canfig dot php, dot BAK, backup archives, website dot zip, debugging scripts, PHPNFO dot php which reveals tons about the PHP setup, or even files containing credentials passwords dot txt.
Speaker 1: People actually leave password files accessible.
Speaker 2: You'd be surprised how often misconfigurations happen. Tools like derb or go buster help automate the process of finding these hidden files and directories by rapidly trying thousands of common names based on dictionary lists.
Speaker 1: Okay, that's a lot of ground to cover just in information gathering for websites. Now let's get into the actual vulnerabilities what are some of the most common ways ethical hackers find and exploit weaknesses in web applications themselves.
Speaker 2: Right, let's dive into the nitty gritty of common webflaws. One conceptually straightforward vulnerability is related to file uploads. Many websites allow users to upload files, profile, pictures, documents, etc. If the website doesn't properly validate what kind of file is being uploaded, an attacker might be able to upload a malicious script file instead of say a GPEG.
Speaker 1: Image, like uploading code instead of data exactly.
Speaker 2: If the web servers configure to execute phpe scripts, for example, and you can upload a file ending in dot php containing malicious PHP code, often called a webshell, then simply browsing to the URL of that uploaded file could give you full command execution capabilities on the.
Speaker 1: Server, so you upload your own command prompt essentially.
Speaker 2: Yes, Tools like Weaveley are specifically designed to generate compact and often stealthy PHP webshells that give you a nice interactive terminal to control the server. This all comes down to the critical principle of input validation. The website must strictly check file types and not trust user supplied file names.
Speaker 1: Okay, insecure file uploads? What else?
Speaker 2: Next up are code execution vulnerabilities. These are flaws where user input is directly used or embedded into a command that gets executed by the server's operating system. Imagine a website feature that lets you ping another machine and you provide the IP address. If the website just takes your input and sticks it into a pin your input command without cleaning it.
Speaker 1: First, you could add other commands precisely.
Speaker 2: You could potentially inject os command separators like or and inmplinix, followed by your own commands like rm rf don't do that, or something more useful like ncee binch r cali.
Speaker 1: Port ncee What's that?
Speaker 2: That's a classic NETCIT command to create a reverse show. It tells the server to execute binch a command prompt and connect it to input and output back to a listing port on your CALLAI machine. Instant command line access, often bypassing firewalls. Again, the fix is rigorous input sanitization.
Speaker 1: Okay, file uploads, code execution? What about accessing files on the server?
Speaker 2: That brings us to file inclusion vulnerabilities. There are two main types, local and remote. Local file inclusion LiFi allows an attacker to trick the web application into including and displaying the contents of arbitrary files from the server's filesystem, files that were never intended to be accessed via the web. This often happens when a script uses user input to determine which file to include. GT pages PHP. If you can manipulate the page parameter in the URL, maybe using directory curricial sequences like LETT, you could potentially read files outside the normal web rout.
Speaker 1: Like system file exactly yeah.
Speaker 2: A classic LiFi demonstration is reading etcter password on a Linux server to get a list of system users, or reading application source code or configuration files that might contain database passwords or other secrets.
Speaker 1: And remote file inclusion.
Speaker 2: Remote file inclusion RFI is generally much more dangerous, though less common nowadays due to better default server configurations. RTIFI occurs when the application allows you to include a file not just from the local server, but from a completely different server over the network using a URL, so.
Speaker 1: You can make the target website include and execute a script file hosted on your calling machine precisely.
Speaker 2: If RFI is possible, you can usually just point it to a URL hosting your malicious PHP shell script and the target server will download and execute it, giving you immediate code execution. RFI typically requires specific insecure PHP settings to be enabled, like allowll include and alourel fopen, which thankfully are often disabled by default.
Speaker 1: Now LiFi reads local files, RFI executes remote code. What about databases? Websites use databases all the time.
Speaker 2: Ah. Yes, That leads us to one of the most widespread and impactful categories of web vulnerabilities. Sql injection scoot a lie cedicle. Vulnerabilities occur when user supplied input is incorporated into a database query in an unsafe way, allowing the attacker to manipulate the structure of the SQL query itself.
Speaker 1: So you inject SQL commands through a web form.
Speaker 2: Essentially yes, or through parameters in the URL. You discover potential SQL points, often by injecting special characters like a single quote or sequel fragments like AD one to on or AD one zero into input fields or URL parameters. If the application is vulnerable, these injections will often cause database errors to be displayed or change the content returned by the page in predictable ways, confirming that your input is affecting the SQL query.
Speaker 1: What can you do with SQL injection.
Speaker 2: Once you find it a lot, It ranges from simple checks to full database takeover. You can perform authorization bypass crafting an injection like ar one one was one into a username or password field might trick the log in query into always evaluating to true, letting you log in as an administrator or another user without knowing their actual password.
Speaker 1: Log in as admin just like.
Speaker 2: That in corely coded applications. Yes. Then you can start extracting data using SQL union operators. You can combine the applications intended query with your own select statements. You first figure out the number of columns the original querer returns. Then you can inject queries like union select one database user version five, assuming five columns to retrieve the current database name, the database username, the application is running as, and the database software version.
Speaker 1: Finding out details about the database itself right.
Speaker 2: Knowing the database type and version helps tailor further attacks. Then you can query the database's internal metadata tables like information Schema in mysequel to discover the names of all the tables and columns in the application's database. You might find tables named users, accounts, credit cards, and then you can query those tables directly to extract sensitive data like usernames, hash passwords, which you might be able to crack offline email addresses, personal details, etc.
Speaker 1: Extracting the entire user database through a web form.
Speaker 2: It's possible if the vulnerability is severe and not properly mitigated. In some database configurations, SQL injection can even be used to read arbitrary files from the server's file system, using functions like load file, effectively turning in simply flaw into an LFI flaw, or sometimes even write files leading to code execution.
Speaker 1: This sounds complex to do manually, it.
Speaker 2: Can be tedious, yes, That's why there are powerful automated tools like schoolmap. Schoole Map is an open source penetration testing tool that automates the process of detecting and exploiting SQL injection vulnerabilities. You just point it at a suspect URL and it will automatically test various injection techniques for different database types MYQL, postgrasschool, MSQL, Oracle, etc. If it finds an injection point, it can automatically enumerate databases, tables, columns, extract data, read files, and sometimes even give you an OS level command show all through the SQL injection vulnerability. It's an incredibly effective tool.
Speaker 1: Wow, SQL injection seems devastating. It really drives home a point you made earlier.
Speaker 2: What all these web vulnerabilities, especially SQL injection and code execution, fundamentally reveal is that critical principle never trust user input.
Speaker 1: Right.
Speaker 2: Every single piece of data coming from a user, whether it's in a URL, a form field, an HTTP head, or a cookie, must be rigorously validated and sanitized before it's used by the application, especially before it's included in a database query, an OS command, or a filepath. Otherwise, what looks like a benign comment or search query can become a direct command to your database or server.
Speaker 1: Okay, one more major web vulnerability type, cross site SCRIPTINGXSS. How is this different from things like SQL injection?
Speaker 2: XSS is fundamentally different because the injected code, which is usually JavaScript, executes in the victim user's browser, not on the server itself.
Speaker 1: A client side code injection, not server side exactly.
Speaker 2: SCORED affection affects the server's database. Code execution affects the servers. OS XSS affects the users visiting the vulnerable web page. There are three main types of XSS. Stored persistent EXSS. The attacker injects malicious JavaScript code and the web application stores it in this database VHG product review, a form, post a user profile. When other users view that stored content, the malicious script executes in their browsers.
Speaker 1: So one injection hits many users.
Speaker 2: Potentially Yes, That's why it's often considered the most dangerous type. Reflected EXSS. The malicious script is injected into the URL or a form submission, and the server reflects that script back in the immediate response page. It only executes if the user clicks on a specifically crafted malicious link, for example, sent via email or chat.
Speaker 1: Only affects users who click the bad link right.
Speaker 2: It requires more social engineering to get the victim to the malicious URL. DOM based XSS. This is a more subtle variant, where the vulnerability exists entirely in the client side JavaScript code running on the page. The server might not even see the malicious script, as the injection and execution happen purely within the browser's Document Object Model DOM. These can be harder to detect with server side standers.
Speaker 1: What can an attacker do with XSS if it just runs in the browser.
Speaker 2: JavaScript running in a browser context can still do a lot of damage. It can steal the user session cookies for that website, allowing the attacker to hijack their logged in session. It can rewrite parts of the current web page to display fake log informs or misleading information. It can redirect the user to malicious websites. It can perform actions on the website as the logged in user without their knowledge, eg change their passwords, send messages, transfer funds if it's a banking site.
Speaker 1: Wow. All from injecting script into a page.
Speaker 2: And remember BEEF. The Browser Exploitation Framework EXSS is the perfect way to deliver the BEEF hook. If you find a stored XSS vulnerability on a popular website, you can inject the beef hookscript as your PAYOEAD. Then every user who visits that compromised page gets automatically hooked into your BEEF console, giving your remote control over the browser session through all the module's BEEF offers.
Speaker 1: That connects the dots nicely. XSS delivers the hook for BEEF.
Speaker 2: It's a very common and powerful combination.
Speaker 1: So how do websites protect against EXSS?
Speaker 2: Again comes down to handling user inputs securely. The main defense is output encoding or escaping. Whenever usery supplied data is displayed back on a web page, the application should escape potentially dangerous HTML characters. For example, the character should be converted to NELT to NGS to end quote. This ensures that even if the user injects script exss script, the browser literally displays that text on the page instead of interpreting it as executable script tags. Content Security policy CSP headers are also a powerful defense mechanism, and user vigilance helps to being wary of suspicious links, checking for HTTPS, not installing untrusted browser extensions.
Speaker 1: Okay, that's an incredible overview of major web bloeulnerabilities. It seems like finding these manually requires a lot of skill and patients. Are there tools to help automate the discovery, similar to squamap for Sooley.
Speaker 2: Yes, while manual testing is crucial for understanding and finding complex flaws, there are automated web vulnerability scanners. A very popular open source one is OSPZP, which stands for the z Attack Proxy OSPZP.
Speaker 1: How does it work?
Speaker 2: ZAP typically runs as a proxy server on your local machine. You can figure your web browser to send all its traffic through the ZA proxy as you browse the target website. Normally, ZAP passively observes all the requests and responses. It can also actively spider the website to discover all its pages and links. Then you can tell ZAP to actively scan the discovered pages for common vulnerabilities like SQL injection, cross site scripting, file inclusion insecure configurations, and many others.
Speaker 1: So it acts like an automated ethical hacker trying common.
Speaker 2: Attacks in a way. Yes, it sends crafted requests with attack payloads and analyzes the responses to see if the application behaves in a vulnerable way. ZAP can generate detailed reports outlining the potential risks it found, categorizing them by severity, and often providing the specific URL and parameter that appears to be vulnerable, giving you a great starting point for manual verification and deeper exploitation.
Speaker 1: So it's a good backup or starting point, but maybe doesn't replace manual testing entirely exactly.
Speaker 2: Automated scanners like ZAP are excellent for finding low hanging fruit and ensuring broad coverage, but they can miss more complex logic based vulnerabilities that require human understanding of the application's context. They also sometimes produce false positives, so they are best used in conjunction with manual testing, not as a complete replacement.
Speaker 1: Makes sense. Wow, We have covered a staggering amount of ground in this deep dive. I mean, from setting up virtual hacking labs, understanding the nuances of network attacks like MI spoofing and MITM, the psychology of social engineering client side versus server side exploits, post exploisation, pivoting, and now this whole world of web application vulnerabilities like SEQL and EXSS.
Speaker 2: It's a lot, definitely, But what I hope stands out to you, the listener, is that ethical hacking isn't just about breaking in for the sake of it. It's really about deeply understanding how these complex systems are built, how the interact, and crucially, how they can fail or be manipulated. Also, they can ultimately be made more resilient and secure.
Speaker 1: That core lesson seems clear. Knowledge is power, not just for offense, but critically for defense.
Speaker 2: Precisely understanding the attacker's mindset, tools and techniques is arguably the best way to build effective defenses against them.
Speaker 1: We explored some incredibly sophisticated tools today metasploit, veil, multigo, beef wireshark, squall, map zap, each one revealing a different facet of this complex digital security landscape. It's honestly a profound reminder that our everyday online interactions, things we take for granted, like browsing a website or logging into an account, involve these intricate layers of technolog layers that can be misunderstood, misconfigured, or actively exploited.
Speaker 2: And that naturally leads to an important question. I think, considering how deeply interconnected our digital lives are now and seeing how these vulnerabilities work, how might a deeper understanding of these threats encourage you personally or professionally to approach your own cybersecurity differently, maybe moving beyond just the basic precautions like using strong passwords towards a more informed, maybe more proactive stance. Something to think about.
Speaker 1: Ah, that's a perfect closing thought, A challenge really for all of us. Thanks for diving deep with us today into the world of ethical hacking. It's been truly enlightening. Until next time, stay curious, stay informed, and most importantly, stay secure.