Speaker 1: Is that is that a real possibility and then not too distant future meet Of course, very different I don't need to tell you than California when it comes to regulation. They don't really have much here in terms of dealing with autonomous but it's a different story in California.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but California is already approved way I am always been doing autonomus driving.
Speaker 1: Another there for a while. But do you need a separate approval.
Speaker 2: Or right now, the approval process is very haphazard and sort of state by state and sometimes city by city.
Speaker 1: We were talking in the Secretary of Transportation about that very fact a moment ago. Yeah.
Speaker 2: Right, So it's going to be important to have a unified set of national regulations for self driving cars. Otherwise you're going to get into this weird situation where if you're driving from Maine to New York, you're going to go through ten different sets of regulations. Car is going to behave differently. It's not going to make any sense. So one set of regulations that just like there is for highway driving, that's what I think makes sense for the country as a whole. But my prediction is that probably by the end of next year, we'll have probably hundreds of thousands, if not hundreds of thousands, if not, if not over a million Teslas doing self driving in the US.
Speaker 1: Those are not okay, what percentages those are going to be? Well, not the cyber cab you're just talking about on full self driving level four.
Speaker 2: Un supervised full self driving run. You do not need to pay attention.
Speaker 1: Right for me, if I own a Tesla and I have the software the capability.
Speaker 2: Of doing it, yes, right, But we'll have a model which is kind of like some combination of Uber and Airbnb. So if you, if you're a Tesla owner, you'll be able to add or subtract your car to the fleet. So just like an AIRB and B, you could like run out your spare bedroom or run out your house when you're not using it, and the same thing will be available for Tesla owners. So it's a way for Tesla owners to own revenue. Instead of having your car sit in the parking lot, your car could be earning money.
Speaker 1: Talked to you, and I talked about that a couple of years ago, which takes me back a bit because of course, I mean you remember twenty nineteen, you were talking about twenty twenty the introduction of autonomous And now you just introduced a fairly somewhat ambitious target. Why do you have the confidence now that and then what was it? In a year there'll be a million available?
Speaker 2: Well it might end of next year, I think.
Speaker 1: Twenty six.
Speaker 2: Okay, yeah, right, I think that's I mean, these things happen slowly but then all at once, so you know, it's a Peter Tiel has a book zero one. Once you make once you have a proof point, once you have it working, then scaling up is you know, just amount of time. So once it's working well in Austin, then you know, we'll make sure it works well in other cities. I mean there are obviously some unique cases like downtown New York, like you know if you're in but that's a highly unusual situation. Most cities in America are like Austin.
Speaker 1: So right, although you can go on full self driving right now in New York, I mean you can obviously have to sit there behind the wheel, but and it'll do it. Oh yeah, no, it'll it'll it'll navigate the traffic. I've seen it.
Speaker 2: Yes, even a test that you buy it right now, and the self driving just costs ninety nine dollars a month, will give you autonomous driving anywhere in the country right now. The question is when? When is it unsupervised? Right where that's that's where.
Speaker 1: Where you're sitting in the back, so to speak.
Speaker 2: Right, yes, where you're like asleep and a car you wake up at your destination.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: In order for that to be the case, we want the autonomous car to be much safer than a car driven by apost