Speaker 1: This week on the latest episode of The Big Show, our hearts are heavy as we celebrate the transition of several celebrities, including Malcolm Jamal Warner, Ozzy Osbourne and Hulk Hogan. We'll also continue well, actually we won't, but I'll explain that in a second. We were going to continue our countdown at the ultimate top one hundred Black television shows. And in addition, we'll have reviews of The Fantastic Four, the first steps in the Hulu series Washington Black. We'll have all that, and trust me a whole lot more on the latest episode Keeping It Real with Film Gordon. Let's good, all right, and welcome to the latest episode of Keeping It Real with Film Gordon. I am Tim Gordon, and I am joined by Charles Kirkland Junior.
Speaker 2: Charles oh Man. Wow wow okay.
Speaker 1: Chuck Mangione just passed away to yeah, wow man.
Speaker 2: We can't. It's so funny. We literally are doing the show.
Speaker 3: We do the.
Speaker 1: Teas, and then I get an alert in the middle of the teas right here.
Speaker 3: Wow wow wow, how are you sir? You know they say it used to be threes. We got four. Bam bam bam bam. Wow gracious.
Speaker 1: Yeah, well, we have a very interesting show coming up. We'll talk about that in a couple of minutes.
Speaker 2: Uh.
Speaker 1: In addition, we were going to revisit the Ultimate Top one hundred Black TV Shows and continue to count down, and I decided, I decided at the last minute that it was still half baked.
Speaker 2: It still needs a little work. Well on the rephrase.
Speaker 1: That we we had, we probably had the bottom of the lists needed to be tweaked, and I was not comfortable moving forward.
Speaker 3: It's funny because the bottom of the list and that's what we were going to be sharing, which is the reason why we couldn't do it.
Speaker 1: So Shane, from say one to about seventy week good, The problem was about seventy one to one hundred, which is what we were talking about today with.
Speaker 2: Like yeah, yeah, yeah, but it's my fault.
Speaker 1: Fault. No, No, that was actually not your fault, because you know, we were we were working as a team, and we just couldn't get to a consensus. I think, I think that's the easy.
Speaker 2: Way to say. We couldn't get to a consensus.
Speaker 1: Literally within the last ten I think that was really the big problem. And Charles Charles identified one today Charles was like, we're not having that. That is too high and we need a brand. We brought in town man Charles spoke looked at it like let me let me check it. He's like, Dango, Look, but Charles's eighty seven.
Speaker 2: It needs to be ninety five.
Speaker 1: Wow. So we I promise you next week we will try to get back to this aldimate list because we needed to be right right, because you know, we started out one hundred and thirty six, whittled it down to one hundred, and then, like I said, there's some movement of trying to figure out there were certain shows that I just thought was way too low, and I think I shared with you the other day. I was like, come on, man, this show has got to be higher on the list. And then it's funny today you were one of the first people to say one.
Speaker 2: Should be lower, like too.
Speaker 1: I So yeah, so we'll continue, uh the Ultimate Black TV one hundred Top one hundred TV count Down, And I promise it was a great list.
Speaker 2: It really is because we spent a lot of time.
Speaker 3: Uh.
Speaker 1: Cordell Martin also who's a nominating chairperson for the Black Real Awards, came in and you know, I told him in the future whenever you are updating lists, you need to send me all your movies.
Speaker 2: One at a time. Because it was like, and what about this one? And what about that one? I was like, bro give me just by the end of the day. Bad, I'm on my phone. I'm just doing them one of the time. I'm like killing me right now.
Speaker 1: So yes, we will revisit that next week, and then also coming up a couple of very interesting projects coming to both theaters and streaming platforms this week on Hulu is Washington Black, which I literally.
Speaker 2: Finished right before we came in here.
Speaker 1: And of course we are as you can see us wearing our four hats. We both went to the I don't know. It's not a DC premiere. It was the reopening of the National Museum last night.
Speaker 2: Great experience last night watching that movie.
Speaker 1: Yes, but but I'm not throwing the shade on it.
Speaker 2: Chantilly is still better the air Buzz and Shantilly. That's the first thing I said to myself. It's big. It's it's.
Speaker 1: The air bus and Shantilly. I saw centers out there a couple of months ago.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, it's good. It's good. Ten dollars every time it is not bad at all.
Speaker 1: You know, you know, you normally go like I remember, you know, I tell the story. I've seen Centers now six times, right, So I watched the two times at home, but I saw it four times three times.
Speaker 2: I paid for it, right.
Speaker 1: So every time I saw Cinners, I actually saw Centers on Imax every time. So the first two times were regular AMC imaxes right right. The third time I saw it, I want to say, was it was. I'm not sure if the airbus in Chantilly was the fourth time, because I saw it.
Speaker 3: On another it was the fourth time. And then you went to do the seventy millimeter one. Well, no, we didn't get to the seventy milimeters. But I'm gonna tell you what's gonna happen.
Speaker 1: My I think that at the end of the year, Warner Brothers is going to do something, Charles, you know what I'm talking about. You know, at the end of the year when they bring us out and they'll have all the different studios showing the FYC movies. And I promise you, how much do you want to bet right now here in the middle of July that five months from now are going into December, you know, because I already got the contact of Warner Brothers, right, my girl, who I told you about. I'm like, yo, I need all the Centers swag and if you put it on a seventy milimeters out.
Speaker 2: I want to be in the house.
Speaker 1: I already got the I got the frame posting just s me a screening leak, and then I felt some kind of wrong watching I told I told Charles the story a couple of weeks ago. Maybe is it a couple of weeks? So it was about a month now that my television went out at home and I had to buy a brand new TV and a brand brand new soundbar, all this q E L D.
Speaker 2: And the first.
Speaker 1: Weekend I got it was the weekend that Max put Sinners. So I watched Sinners. I was sitting there like, yeah, turned the South of I was like, And then my sister came to town the next day and then they wanted to see Sentence. I had to watch it again. So that's hints six times watching Centers.
Speaker 3: So I'm the only one behind you, but I just found five. I've seen it five times, but I just found out that my sister in law hasn't seen it.
Speaker 1: You sound like me I'm like, nobody's seen Centership, man, Let's check it out.
Speaker 2: You have seen Centers yet?
Speaker 1: But yeah, Centers Sinners. So there are two things that I know that are definite right now. Shane is kind of going on one of them.
Speaker 2: The movie of the year is Sinners. Best movie are best hip hop album of the year? The clips? Let God sort them out. You haven't listened to it yet. We don't do music. Hints.
Speaker 1: Why if I'm saying it on our show now? I just talked to what's the name of that show that hip.
Speaker 2: Hop one hip hop Corridor?
Speaker 1: I always mess up this show, Troy and Dion, who do a hip hop show.
Speaker 2: Here.
Speaker 1: We just had a lengthy conversation in the lobby about the Cliffs new album, Amazing, Amazing. We don't do music on the show. Led by the first song, Hey, Shane, producer, we get in trouble. We played like a whole song on our show. He said, so yes we can or no weekend? I mean we can, oh man, So we won't get distribution. Well, I mean sometimes you gotta take a stand. You gotta take a stand even if you're not getting distribution.
Speaker 2: Sound like Aussie but okay.
Speaker 1: Wow, here we go to get all right, So I'm glad you brought that up. So let's segue into this man, because we're gonna talk about let's talk about Chuck MANNGIONI man first, and I don't have it up, but I will just go by what I know as a guy in the game. Nineteen seventy eight, Chuck Mangione had a number one sev seventy seven. I walk out, Wow one year. I'm off by a year and no notes, folks, no notes. Nineteen seventy seven, Thank you, Charles. Chuck Mangione had a song called is it Feels So Good? It feels so good? Feels so good? Was the song of the summer for for real. Could not go anywhere and not here.
Speaker 2: Im. We can't cancel for real.
Speaker 1: No, But I'm just trying to tell you, bro, I'm like, hey, man, so, so what did you pull up about Chuck mans Young because I know you pulled something up.
Speaker 2: Well.
Speaker 3: He passed at eighty four years old in his sleep at his home in New York Rochester, New York.
Speaker 1: Wow, So give me, give me some career highlights, because you know that always happens.
Speaker 2: Well, you know, after feels so good?
Speaker 3: He was hired by the International Olympic Committee. If you play the theme song for the nineteen eighty Winter Olympics, give it all you Got, and I'm sure you remember that one as well. He's been a fu horned trumpet player, jazz composer with least more than thirty albums in a career. And yeah, he's just been around forever. Bellavia, that album was the album where he wanted Grammy for it feels so good Belavia, Bella Villa, Belavio, something like that, you know. And then yet he followed it up the next year with friends and lovers, and he also was Grammy nominated for that. So he's had one Grammy win, two nominations for its albums.
Speaker 1: Wow, all right, man, Chuck Manzione Man. We literally found that out. That wasn't even on the original teas on the Shocie and between Let's Go and then Welcome to the Show.
Speaker 2: Wow.
Speaker 1: Wow, that has never happened before. And what is it we started on nine sixteen years?
Speaker 2: That is a first? Wow. I don't know what that means though, is that? Yes?
Speaker 1: Man?
Speaker 2: A first for everything? That people are going home, brother, that's what it means.
Speaker 1: And speaking of going home, I wish I have a colleague that that's close to both Charles and I Julian Lytle who and actually you should be able to talk about this Hu Hogan. Terry Terry jen Bolia, better known as Hulk Hogan, talked to us about Hunk Hulk Hogan at six foot seven, this superstar pro wrestling who passed away this morning at the age of seventy one.
Speaker 3: I can honestly say that I don't think that we would have Netflix, WWE. I don't think we'd have The Rock if it wasn't for.
Speaker 2: Hulk Hogan.
Speaker 3: Hulk Hogan. They started WrestleMania. He headlined Mainy Vented or whatever you want to call it, eight of the first nine WrestleManias, which was unheard. He literally put the WWF, which it was at that time, on the map as a credible source for sports entertainment. And I remember nineteen eighty three, I was WrestleMania happened in my birth month, so I was like, I was excited because it was in Pontiac's Silver Dome in Detroit, Michigan. I was like, I got family there, Let's go to Pontiac and let's go to Detroit and go see WrestleMania, to which my father was like, you were out your dang mind. We're not going up there for you, like Papa, We're not going up there for some wrestling. And I cried and I moaned about not being able to see WrestleMania. That I got to see the Jackson's Victory Tour that same summer in Detroit, Michigan, because I complained to my uncle. He's like, Oh, if you wanted to come up out of I'd have brought you up. We could have watched it. But yeah, it was Hulk Hogan that made WWF WWE now what it is today. And even though he felt on some hard times, you know, it came out because when I put posted up with my family group and one of them came back and talked about his racist comments and that how he the last time he showed up at WrestleMania when or WWE. When Netflix debuted in Los Angeles, he was literally booed off the stage because of the backlash for some of the comments that he's made. But every time you saw him before that, he was always Hulk Hogan. He was always in that character. Whenever you saw he was never acting, even in the movies, And I say this about the Rock He's not acting, He's just being that same character that was in the wrestling ring in all the movies and everywhere you saw him. So it was unfortunate in the last few years that he stepped out of that character and became more of himself.
Speaker 2: People don't like the real Oa, but.
Speaker 3: They love Huk Hogan And if it wasn't for him, where would wrestling be today.
Speaker 1: Well that's a very fitting tribute, Charles Kirkland. This is Charles Kirkland's kind of Baillywick today.
Speaker 2: This is your day.
Speaker 1: Man, all right, So and now let's move on to the man to describe as the Prince of Darkness.
Speaker 3: Prince of Darkness, Ozzy Osbourne, also known as the Godfather of heavy metal.
Speaker 2: I'm listening to Charles. Okay, you want me to go now? Okay, No, I'm not going to John Michael.
Speaker 3: John Michael Osbourne got the nickname Ozzy as the street as a young child on the playground and he carried it ever since. He He was known for batting, biting the heads off bats on stage and doves and other things. He did it once well, I mean, but he was known for that. You knew it, knew it again. Meeting the frontman and founder for the band Black Sabbath. He I mean several Grammy Awards nominations. Yeah, and for those of you who don't know, he's been sampled over two hundred and ninety times and had over six hundred covers of his work, respected by an iced tea tribe called Quest Bust the rhymes. I mean at the time when he came out and the PMRC came out, a lot of the people were saying that his music was terrible and horrible and it needed to be and a lot of rappers got caught up in it, and a lot of musicians got caught up in it. And so when he got placed on the Filthy fifteen, which you laugh about, comment at the time was, Hey, I don't care what they say. We're gonna keep on making music. And that was the inspiration for a lot of rappers and musicians at that time who picked up the mantle and said, Okay, we're gonna keep on doing it no matter what they say. Matter of fact, we got the record label, the Parental Advisory Label because of the pr pm RC, and which has been ridiculed because it seems like it makes more people sell more records than less records by having that label. So Ozzie was right. You just keep making your music and people will and people will just fade into the distance.
Speaker 1: All right, Well again another sparkling great job by Charles Kirkland Shane Charles's he's nailing them, man, He's not no scripts, He's just going from the heart. You know, these are people who have Charles has really touched Charles, Yes and so and last but not least, we lost Malcolm Jamal Warner this week and for the first time, I think ever, we've never featured two od bits, like two people who wrote, you know, appreciations. I wrote one first. Charles called me when we first got the news, and I wrote, we remember Malcolm Jamal Warner nineteen seventy to twenty twenty five. Charles wrote eulogy for a brother. So Charles, I'll let you go first, man, talk about you know what you use, the memories you shared, or your feelings around the passing, the tragic passing. I would ask of Malcolm Jamal Warner.
Speaker 3: It's it's kind of ironic because as you were talking about the clips coming in, I was never that hip hop kid like that. Growing up, I can listen to a lot of things. Matter of fact, I didn't see Printing concert, but I did see Ozzie with Metallica, and before Metallica was big, they opened up for Ozzie and so, but Malcolm Jamal.
Speaker 2: Warner on a second, Yeah, he's right here.
Speaker 3: So Malcolm Jamal Warner when he came on The Cosby Show, this was a role that spoke to me because I lived that middle class life. Not it wasn't in the hip hop world, and I wasn't in but I was in the middle and so a lot of the things that theo Huxtable went through were the things I experienced. I grew up in a house full of women, and he in a house full of women. So I drew a kinship to theo Huxtable and thereby Malcolm Jamal Warner. Malcolm named Malcolm Jamal Warner named after Malcolm X and Ama Jamal uh So. I mean, I I've I've listened to his spoken word, I've listened to I mean, I just followed him all my life. And so when he's like two years younger than me, but I again, to me, he was the brother I never had because I don't have any brothers, and that was a guy that I was like, I just rock with him, and so when to hear him pass it was it really hit me hard. It really was a devastating blow because I'm like, that is me, he's he was me, and so a piece of me passed along with him as he you know, even even the whole story about the rip current and how he got caught in it and out there, I've experienced that. I was younger and fortunate, but you know, I came out the other side because I just I didn't have the strength to try to fight the rip current and I just got drug drugged out to the sandbar. But it's it's a terrible loss for me. I don't I don't know about the rest of the world, but as we do our Top one hundred list, I'm expecting the Cosby Show to be high up now, maybe even higher because of because of this relevant topic.
Speaker 1: Here for the record, sir, the Top one hundred list, at least the first seventy was completed.
Speaker 2: Before I know that, you know.
Speaker 3: But just like just like we were working the seventy one through one hundred.
Speaker 2: We are not working.
Speaker 1: We are not reworking one through seventy one through seventy is set. So I will just say, so, don't be thinking once we like, oh man, I had nothing to do with with Malcolm Jamal warning.
Speaker 2: But I can say that.
Speaker 3: But I already know what the top one through seventy are right, right, right right?
Speaker 2: I got you. So tell me what you were feeling when when you heard about this.
Speaker 1: I'm just gonna go through a couple of notes that I wrote that were in the piece. I called him America's son because my memory was that, you know, for as much.
Speaker 2: What's the word to use, as much flack.
Speaker 1: And criticism, and rightfully so, that Doctor Cosby has generated over the last ten to fifteen years, people forget and again. I was making a joke earlier about certainties. You know, the album of the Year, movie the year. There are a couple of certainties I can make about the nineteen eighties because I lived in the nineteen Eightieska, There's no album that I've seen before since it will ever top Thriller, Okay, And there's no television show that I've ever seen before or since that will top the popularity of The Cosby Show in the mid eighties. It was literally it literally was not just the number one black show on television. Here's the number one one show on television for like five years.
Speaker 2: It made an NBC credible as a network.
Speaker 1: Yeah, they created an entire block of programming saying that notice around the Cosby Show and they called it must see Thursdays.
Speaker 2: Yep.
Speaker 1: So all that started with The Cosby Show and theo Huxtable was a huge part of The Cosby Show, right and you go. But he was the son, yeah, to Charles's point, he was the only boy in a family full of women. And he was modeled after Bill Cosby's about Mill Cosby's late son Ennis. So a lot of the storylines about fatherhood, a lot of the things that you know, he showed, like this, this the way they showed black fatherhood on television through the relationship of doctor Cosby and Malcolm Jamal Warner.
Speaker 2: I thought it was brilliant. Oh, I'm brilliant, Like, like it's funny. I have in my in my thing.
Speaker 1: There's like three or four clips right of like famous episodes, and like I think it might.
Speaker 2: Have been the pilot when you know, he told his.
Speaker 1: Father he was like, you know, hey, man, you know you guys are being hard on me because he was getting bad report com I just want to be a regular kid, man, I come, I can't be, and everybody class in the studio.
Speaker 2: Audist Bill Gossey came back and went, that's the dumbest thing I ever heard. No wonder you get SEEZ and D's in school. So you had that moment.
Speaker 1: What was the name of the famous oh my god, the Gordion Trail shirt when when he goes his father and says the shirt is ninety five dollars. He said, the only kid that should be wearing a shirt that's ninety five dollars is he's on stage singing with There are all these classic moments, and then the other one I'll in with why I says two remember when he had forget his teacher played by Sonya Braga, who came to the house and they you know, he had she had something to give him, and they're having this pleasant evening. She's got she's looking all normal, and she invites Steele out to the living room and as this sitting there talking, she pulls her glasses out and she's putting.
Speaker 2: Her back up.
Speaker 1: So there are so and I and I and and and and trust me, if you're sitting at home and you're like, man, I can't believe Tim and Charles and shame is letting him talk about The Cosby Show. Cosm shit was great. I'm sorry, I mean, what's this? I'm sorry? The Cosby Show. It's a fantastic show. You might not like the man whose name is on the show, but you cannot discount, like the importance of that show, what that show actually did for not just black culture, but for.
Speaker 2: The culture right, just for the culture.
Speaker 1: So I say that that Malcolm Jamal Warner represented America's son. I was on a show in Philadelphia and they brought me on to talk about this, and I was like, I never had an opportunity to meet him, never had a chance to interview him. I learned so much about him just this week with all the clips that I've saw on YouTube, and I did. I want to finish with a poem that I saw that tyreee Row did you read about this?
Speaker 2: You read this, Shane? Did you read of this?
Speaker 1: The poem is called and I'm gonna read this called the Gentle Giant Right, a poem attributed to our beloved brother, Malcolm Jamal Warner and this is from a couple of days ago. He said, Today we lost a gentle giant, a man who won our hearts not by force, but by quiet grace. From the very beginning, Malcolm Jamal Warner reminded us that being calm, classy, sophisticated and soulful could carry you far in life. He was the soft spoken strength behind a generation's most beloved show.
Speaker 2: We watched The.
Speaker 1: CoV Show and saw for the first time a world many of us had never known. A black family made up of doctors, lawyers, artists and thinkers. Wow, a household rooted in love and education, laughter and dignity. Let me see if I'm readiness and right, I must have skipped the part, so it says. Today we mourn what feels unimaginable, a loss that cuts through nostalgia, through childhood, through what we thought would always be My sincere prayers go out to his wife, to his children, to his family, to everyone who loved him, worked beside him, and walked life with him. This tragedy hits us hard, not just because of who he was on screen, but because of who he remained when the cameras turned off. We lost more than an actor. We lost the presence a gentle, regal, beautiful soul who walked with dignity and reminded us, especially as black boys and men, that you could be powerful without being loud, important without being arrogant, respected, without.
Speaker 2: Ever demanding it.
Speaker 1: Today, as we sit in that grief and we say goodbye to a man who gave us more than entertainment. He gave us hope, He gave us another way to exist. Rest well, Malcolm, you were everything we needed.
Speaker 2: Wow Wow.
Speaker 1: That was from Tyrese Gibson wrote that dedication to Malcolm Jamal Warner Man.
Speaker 2: So yeah, this one hurts.
Speaker 1: And not to diminish the families uh and friends of Chuck Mangione, Hulk Hogan and Ozzy Osbourne, but Malcolm Jamal Warner was our community, our community.
Speaker 2: Rest in peace.
Speaker 1: I literally hate that we have to keep doing these and one day somebody, you know, it's so funny. I was telling I think I was talking to Charles earlier today. You know, I've been listening to Hamilton a lot, you know, in the in the back of my mind, I keep thinking about the closing song you know, who lives, who dies and tells his story. Somebody has gotta tell the story. There are plenty of people who want tell the story of Malthol, Jamal Warner and all of the folks that we lost. But I think about it inwardly, like you know, we live our lives, and at.
Speaker 2: Some point, who's gonna Who's gonna tell our story? Man?
Speaker 1: Who's gonna tell the story of Charles Kirklan Junior. Who's gonna tell the story of Shane Lewis? Who tells the Tim Gordon story? So we have to continue to keep on pressing and hope that we leave enough work behind that somebody.
Speaker 2: Can continue to tell our story.
Speaker 1: Man, Right, all right, sh we gotta flip the mood up in here. Who twenty nine minutes after we are not, as I said earlier, going to be doing our list of our top one hundred to day, which was gonna take up probably about three quarters of our show. So we're gonna we're gonna talk about these movies today, And I'm not sure if we should start talking about them now, because I really want to do a deep dive on both these projects that I that we have this week, So I.
Speaker 2: I think I'll get started now.
Speaker 1: Before I begin, Charles, did you get a chance to watch Washington Black.
Speaker 2: And I did not. Wow, this is gonna be a Tim Gordon exclusive here, because.
Speaker 3: All right, so maybe it's best that I didn't, because you know, man, we'll see.
Speaker 2: Okay. I don't know how to tackle that one. Is not it's not negative. It's just that we have we have views.
Speaker 1: No, no, no, it's not that we have views. I'm just gonna share a couple of things with Charles. Are you looking at your screen, Charles big screen? So this is this is the Washington Black review that I put up a couple of days ago. You see that number right there on a second of how many views it had?
Speaker 2: You see right here? Yeah? Wow?
Speaker 1: Yeah, man, it's a great review, man. So let's talk a little bit about Washington Black. Washington Black, of course, is a series that debuted on Hulu early this week. I think it dropped like Wednesday, right, and adapted from ec ed of you Gan's acclaimed novel, Washington Black is a richly imaginative, emotionally resented eight part mini series that blends historical fiction, adventure, romance, and speculative realism to tell a story rarely seen on screen. Charles Executive produced by Sterling K Brown. The series transcends familion narratives of slavery by centering hope, connection and the trans transformative power upart. Now, let me talk a little bit about this, which I found to be fascinating because I watch a lot of stuff, and I'm not discounting anybody else's watch experience, but I'm telling you, I'll watch a lot of stories about enslaved people, and generally, whenever we tell these stories, no matter how hopefully they are, there's always Subjugation's always pain, and there's always disrespect.
Speaker 2: You're always being felt less than.
Speaker 1: And I'm talking about when I say we talking about the audience of people of color who have to sit through these stories, to sit through the pain and the trauma to.
Speaker 2: Get to the hope and the inspiration on the other side.
Speaker 1: Well, guess what in this story with his place Tuma, Well, no, no, no, In this story that happens in the early part of the nineteenth century, yes, he is an enslaved guy who's working in the sugarcane field somewhere over in the Barbados for a hateful plantation owner.
Speaker 2: Right. The one thing that the movie.
Speaker 1: Doesn't show, outside of a couple of instances where people might get smacked or some stuff like that. There's nobody getting whipped. There's not an overabundance of trauma of you know, even though there's slaves. It reminded me, ironically of a Dave Chappelle skit right one set in his skin, and I'm paraphrasing that black men don't ever have, we don't ever have the ability to just be and just dream and exists, right, because you know, we always are dealing with with some sort of trauma. Well, this is a story that happens doing slavery with the story of a kid who's young. He might be five or six, but he's you know, he's got a vivid imagination and he's really really smart. And everybody in the community sees that this kid could be something special and they protect him, nurture him, hide him, and do whatever they need to do to make sure that this kid can be allowed to be who he is, which is radically different than anything we've ever watched.
Speaker 2: In terms of that kind of story.
Speaker 1: In terms of that kind of story, like, this kid was a dreamer who wanted to fly, right, and when when they said wanted to fly, he was an inventor who wanted to create a machine that could fly instead.
Speaker 2: Of somebody going, boy, just sit your butt in the corner.
Speaker 1: Man.
Speaker 2: Anybody got no time for that. Man.
Speaker 1: You better picked you Beta picked it better, chopped this sugar cane and stopped playing.
Speaker 2: He gets, he gets, he meets, and and also I.
Speaker 1: Called it the Psalm twenty three six. Goodness and mercy followed this kid all his entire life, his entire life.
Speaker 2: It was.
Speaker 1: It was fascinating to watch. I went, huh, I haven't seen this one before. So he you know, he even though that he's on a plantation with a hateful slave owner. The slave owners brothers an abolitionists who understands and sees how special he is. And the slave master says, you go in on, you can take this kid. So him and the kid start all these adventures. Now, the thing is interesting about it, because I couldn't figure this out myself, is they only it's an eight part mini series, but Hulu only gave you four episodes to review. So this review that I wrote the first four episodes at the pictures non stop. So I'm looking at the pictures and I'm trying to download the pictures, and I'm like, and.
Speaker 2: What point of the story is this kid, Cause this kid travels all around the world.
Speaker 1: Now we can remember this is the early nineteenth century, so it's not like, you know, they were plays and he can just jump on. No, this story happens. He's in the Arctic, like, oh, of course in eight that's he's in the Arctic. He's in Morocco, he's in Nova Scotia. This is truly an international story that.
Speaker 2: I think is so good. You literally should.
Speaker 1: Take these eight episodes, put together a curriculum and just taking the schools and just show it the kids. Because by the eighth episode at the end, I was like that, what's happening? It is deeply emotional. I thought Washington Black was brilliant. Washington Black is so brilliant, Shane, you ready, the first four episodes I watched it, I said, I'm gonna give it a B plus. By the time I got to the end of the eighth episode, the B plus got bumped up.
Speaker 2: To a A.
Speaker 1: I was like, Wow, Washington Black, which is on Hulu right now, is frigging amazing.
Speaker 2: Executive produced by Shirt I mean Sterling K. Brown. There are and then you.
Speaker 1: Can go go to to the film Gordon and just read the review.
Speaker 2: That's all I'll tell you.
Speaker 1: Because I poured some stuff into this review because I was feeling this show and I just kept on writing and couldn't stop writing. I was like, yeah, it is some more because there's now let me also say.
Speaker 2: Because one of the things, and there was one thing.
Speaker 1: I had to add after the end, there's a there's a backstory for Sterling K. Brown's character that's in here that is deeply touching. It is deeply touching and I'm not gonna spoil it. Just watch the mini series. When you get to that. Remember I told you how deeply touching that whole thing is. And there are so many great moments of people who are kind. Dude, just don't have to be kind, who just kind to this kid. I don't know what it was about this character, but people just wanted to help this guy out because they kept looking at him, going, you know, he's the one, He's like neo, he can be somebody. So it is a very interesting mini series and for us, since we also run the Black Real Awards for television, this will not be the last time you hear about Washington Black. I got a feeling that when nominations come for next year's Black Real Awards for Television, Washington Black is gonna be in the mix.
Speaker 2: That's a good one.
Speaker 3: If they don't forget God go Ernest Kingsley Junior. Yes, he was absolutely amazing man. And he was the young I'm sorry, that was the older version of Washington Black. The younger version is played by Eddie Karanjah. So yeah, really funny because you hear stories like in the hood where you got a football player, basketball player, and everybody protects him make sure he makes it out and becomes good. That was our generation. Yes, that's our generation. But to see this happening in the early nineteen hundred, No, this is the early eighteen hundred. Oh okay, it's eighteen eighteen twenty something like that.
Speaker 2: Wow, I gotta see this. Yeah.
Speaker 1: So, so Washington Black Man is on Hulu right now. Once you finished listening to this and you turn this podcast off, just go and check it out.
Speaker 2: I promise you grabbed the family.
Speaker 1: Matter of fact, I grabbed mine last night and I think we got through the first two episodes, so still got six that we need to go through. So that is Washington Black. So any questions on Washington black, anything else you want to know.
Speaker 2: Eight episodes. I'm gonna all right, it sounds like a good bench. Yeah, all right.
Speaker 1: So now let's talk about the movie The Hour, the Fantastic for the first steps. Now, if you notice that, I'm gonna pull it down so you can see both Charles and I are wearing our four hats.
Speaker 2: We had an.
Speaker 1: Opportunity, as we said earlier in the show, to go down to the Air and Space Museum here in Washington, d C. Where they had the grand opening of their Imax theater, grand reopening. Excuse me of their Imax theater, Thank you, Charles. We're still smaller than the air bussing. I have to keep referencing that because I'm like, it was nice.
Speaker 2: This is nice.
Speaker 1: Now I will also add and and and as I add this, this has nothing to do with how I felt about the movies. But I thought it was pretty cool. They gave us some swag. They gave us, uh, candy coopons, candy with water and popcorn and.
Speaker 3: Candy or soda like whatever you want. I thought that was cool, Like don't forget the popcorn.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, so they can give you us thinking they gave you a close back.
Speaker 2: And they have what six options five six options. Yeah, they had cheddar and sod cream.
Speaker 1: They gave you options of candy, your gray candy, like, grab something to drink, grab your little hat and get that man and sit down and watch this movie.
Speaker 2: And uh, this is the thirty seventh movie, thirty seven in the Marble Cinematic Universe.
Speaker 1: Let me set this thing up because I don't want Charles thinking I'm disrespecting the Fantastic Four, because we have a we have a lot to say about this movie, the thirty seventh movie in the Marble Cinematic Universe and.
Speaker 3: The first in the sixth phase Phase six, Phase six.
Speaker 1: Okay, thank you, that's a good point. Based on the superhero team, the Fantastic Four, produced by Marvel Studios and distributed by Walt Disney.
Speaker 2: We talked about it being.
Speaker 1: The thirty seventh film in the series in the second reboot of the Fantastic Four film series.
Speaker 2: The earlier one was two thousand.
Speaker 1: And five, and then they did another reboot in twenty fifteen, so it's every ten years we keep trying to make the Fantastic Four. And we'll talk a little bit about that momentarily. The film was directed by Matt Shackman, who was in the house last night. I sat in the same row. Yes, yeah, he said, in our role last night. I walked by him at the end squeezed the show.
Speaker 2: I was like, good job, Maddie, spoiler, A good job.
Speaker 1: The film features an ensemble cast which includes Pedro Pascal, Vanessa Kirby, Ebon mass Bacarack, and Joseph Quinn as the titular team, alongside Julia Gardner and Sarah Niles, Mark Gastus, Natasha Lynn, Paul Walter.
Speaker 2: Hauser, Natasha Leon what do I call her? Man? Thank you?
Speaker 1: Natasha Leone, Paul Walter hey Hauser, and Ralph Inmoson. That's why we have Charles here, because Charles is always about names, all right, So Charles Kirkland Jr. The film focuses on the Fantastic four whos who must protect the nineteen sixties inspired retro futuristic world from a planet devouring cosmic being Galactus. And this is taking place now, this is key taking place.
Speaker 2: On Earth eight twenty eight, right now. That's a that's a good detail.
Speaker 3: It's a very good detail because and I'll explain, because everything that we've seen in the MCU has taken place on six sixteen six, six sixteen.
Speaker 2: I thought it was six two six? Is it sixteen sixes? I thought it was six sixteen.
Speaker 3: Okay, six one six, okay, okay, all right, So everything we've seen is already comic books. But you know I remember numbers. Well, oh yeah, okay, So yeah, we're in a different universe than what we're used to.
Speaker 1: And so you said in the first thirty six films which happened in for the most part, and the MCU were all on planet six one six universe in the universe six one six, and now we're in universe eight two eight.
Speaker 2: Correct to kick off phase six? Correct? Wow? All right. I just wanted to make sure I set it up for the audience go ahead. And it's perfectly logical.
Speaker 3: Why because if it were, if the Fantastic Four were part of six one six, people like where they were, where they've been, because we've been going through some stuff here. They're fighting a guy that is going to destroy the world. You know, why couldn't you have about.
Speaker 2: He's destroying trying to destroy the world in eighty two.
Speaker 3: Eight and eight two eight, not in six one six, Yeah, but in six one six we did fight a guy that was trying to destroy the well in the universe.
Speaker 2: We got cold. We got colds. Go ahead, man.
Speaker 3: So yeah, that is a really good setup to let us see how this world is totally different in how the Fantastic Four, who's been by the time we joined them in this film, they've been a team for four years, so they kind of take that Superman approaches and we're not giving you the whole origin story. We just want to drop you in the story and let you roll with it. And so I really appreciate that because again, we've all seen it, we know what's happening. And then they allude to some of the things that have happened to them and how they got to where they are. So we get to see this developed team come together and fight again a foe that they've never experienced before. These literally in this world, the Fantastic Four are the protectors of the Earth. There's no other superhero team that we know of this on a eight and so they're beloved because they save everybody, They work for everybody. They're not they don't have to face the well, why are you don't you fight for United States versus Europe or fighting the man. Well that's you know, that's another story. But even that part, you know, they didn't give you that story. I mean, they didn't give you that battle. They just gave you the story and let you roll with it, so which was very interesting how they presented it. So, I mean, am I supposed to say give my review of this film of what I thought? I think that this film is very successful in everything that they attempt, the story as well. Put together. The actors are very credible in their roles, the the relationships, and seem genuine by everyone that's in the plot. They even flesh out the characters like the thing and the human torture in a way that we hadn't seen before and in previous films they they're much simpler, but they have depth in this film, which I really appreciated because I'm a big fan of the comic books, and for those of us who are big comic book fans, there are a couple comic book references that happen in the movie that'll keep us excited. But this is a story that is kind of that is based on the comic books, but is really completely original. So I thought it was very successful. I thought it was done well. Eric Pearson, Jeff Kapman, Irian Springer and Kat would write this story, and I think they do a good job. I really enjoyed the movie, and I'm going to save my grade for after you give yours.
Speaker 1: Thank you, Giles. That was very well done, I wrote. And you know, I thought that the film, which featured a mid nineteen sixties tone.
Speaker 2: Matt Shackman and his production.
Speaker 1: Team really lean into the production design of the film, which I thought.
Speaker 2: Really really worked, really really well.
Speaker 1: I shared with Charles and we had a very heated conversation early this morning pre show.
Speaker 2: Heated the way. I was like, Charles, you man, you never mind, but I was. I said that two.
Speaker 1: Times we talked earlier in two thousand and five, and then I think in two thousand and seven they did fantastic for the Rise of the Silver Surfer, and then twenty fifteen they came back and did another rebook.
Speaker 2: Awful reboot. Oh you admit that one. Oh yeah, I told you. Michael B. Jordan as Johnny human human torch.
Speaker 1: I just said for the record that I Tim Gordon didn't like either of these versions of the earlier films, right either iteration and as a guy that didn't read the comics, which is why it's fascinating that Charles and I have these conversations around comic book films. I may not have read the comics, but I get to watch the movies that you present, right, so sometimes they're based on comics. I just heard you say that this one is a wholy original story. So okay, either way, it still works for me because I'm still watching.
Speaker 2: A movie now.
Speaker 1: In my mind, before I even went in to watch the movie, after the first two attempts by Fox to make these stories, I was, like I used to always say, especially when the MCU started, I was like, man, if Marvel LEVI got their hands on the Fantastic Four, I think they could do a really, really good job with this because Marvel really excels in storytelling, right, So that aspect of the film, I was absolutely right. Now, I'll also say that my feelings about the three previous films, the.
Speaker 2: Bar was so low.
Speaker 1: Marvel just had to show up and just give me a story and it would have worked. Right, So let's just start there that I went in even with my popcorn and my candy and my drink and my Fantastic four hat and I was like, man, they just put a story on the screen. This is a win, right, so I'll go in and watch the movie. And I also loved the fact that previously I just found that these characters were just boring because the first three times I've watched these characters there was really they really didn't capture the right tone of how to tell the story of the Fantastic Four. Right, even though you don't know what the story, doesn't really matter, because my point is is that when you asked me to watch something, I'm looking at execution, cinematography, production design, constant design, screen I'm listening to the screenplay, I'm looking at how to score, I'm looking at all the elements that make up a project, right, whether it's streaming, whether it's on the big screen. And Marvel, of course, really does a very good job because there are a lot of I mean geeks that work at Marvel. So even when they're telling original stories, there's still enough stuff sprinkled in. Like there's a great scene that happens earlier in the film when I think Sue is going to the United Nations to do an address and I didn't understand what was happening. Is they're paying the audience. There's a certain character from a nation who's absent, who's absent, And I was like, everybody's like whoa.
Speaker 2: So I said what happened? And they told me. I went, oh, yeah, okay, so that makes sense.
Speaker 1: So Marvel Marvel does a really good job of the details, right.
Speaker 2: And I thought that the story actually worked.
Speaker 1: I was told a little bit about the movie by somebody who had watched it earlier this week, and he was actually right that you know, if you're going in looking for like huge action, this is.
Speaker 2: Not really a movie.
Speaker 1: This is sort of an origin story to build up because Leo on in the MCU, They're going to be things that we learn in this story that will help us when we get the film thirty eight, thirty nine, forty, et cetera.
Speaker 2: Right.
Speaker 1: But I thought, overall, the chemistry, which you didn't use that word, it was like, you know, they got a lot the chemistry between these characters, I thought really worked well. I thought that for all of the bluster of two hours of this film, there's literally only like about eight or nine speaking parts of different people of the speaking through the whole movie. If you really think about it, it's a fantastic for their press agent the adversary below. Yeah. Yeah, there's not a lot of there's not a lot of not a lot of dialogue, like, not a lot of characters. It really centers on these four individuals and what they have to do to kind of move it along.
Speaker 2: In a two eight.
Speaker 1: Now Here is where we diverge, right, because going into this shame, I thought this is the fourth comic superhero movie of the year, right, and.
Speaker 2: Let be let's just call it what it is. I was not a big fan.
Speaker 1: Of Captain America A Brave New World, and I really wasn't a big fan of Thunderbolts, right. I really liked Superman. I really thought that what James Gunn did with Superman was amazing R And I see this film by virtue what I told you about. It's an origin story and we're going to build up these characters later for them to do amazing stuff. For me, I still think Superman is the best comic superhero film of the first half of the year. That's my opinion, right. And I had to go back in and change my grade on this movie because I had it rated as.
Speaker 2: High as Superman.
Speaker 1: I was like, Superman is better it's just a better movie at this stage. Now I get be wrong that later on the Fantastic Four can develop, like maybe in Part two, maybe part three, when there's some more adversaries and some more action, maybe we got a different story. This story is good. I'm not saying it's bad. It's easily the best of the Fantastic Four iterations that has been out there.
Speaker 2: Marls marvels. The thing with this, you know, the cast is superb.
Speaker 1: I thought, you know, the whole sixties aesthetic works really, really well. It's a well done movie. So having said that, I gave it a B, a straight bach straight B. I had it at a B plus, but then I had Superman at a B plus and it's not Superman.
Speaker 2: A Fantastic Four B.
Speaker 1: Now I know there are hardcore comic fans who are like Tim, you don't know what you talk about. You're tripping. All I can watch, Charles is what you give me. Right, So there's no more to it, no less.
Speaker 2: I'm not hating.
Speaker 1: I say, I'm glad to see that the Fantastic Four is finally brought into the MCU and it's.
Speaker 2: Actually treated with some love.
Speaker 1: It looks good, it plays well, it's got a short run time. There's a lot of positives, it's just not a lot there other than the origin set up.
Speaker 2: For me, now, I'm looking forward.
Speaker 1: To what they can do with this, and I'm positive that no one marvel with you know, there's two part Avengers that coming up. Is this Secret Wars and then it's it's Doomsday. First Doomsday and then what Secret Wars? Okay, then you know, so I gave it a B. So what did you give it?
Speaker 3: I wanted to give it an A minus, but I stayed with the B plus. And I look back and I say, it's the same grade that as Superman. But unlike you, I think that this film is superior in theme and tone than to Superman, because there were some things about Superman that just didn't line up. For an instance, they really were mad with Superman because he was an alien coming to this planet, but they didn't have a problem with Hawk Girl and she's an alien it come to the planet and she's in part of.
Speaker 2: The Justice Gang.
Speaker 3: Did she get into that kind of hate? So there, I mean, there were some things that I felt like that happened in Superman. Superman is a great film, but I think that as the time goes by, that some of the themes that were relevant and important that Superman Express will have dissowaited. And the themes that are in the Fantastic Four are about family and hope and building the community. Those things are going to last. And I think that over time that this movie will be last a lot better. It will communicate, you know how you say sometimes a movie doesn't age well. I think that the Fantastic Four will age a lot better. And it's in this story because it is more of a universal theme that people will be able to relate to, not just now, but in the future.
Speaker 2: All Right.
Speaker 1: See, see, this is why we should have fights early in the day, because.
Speaker 2: It's time and now this was not we had earlier.
Speaker 1: Charles called me a movie snob, and he called me all kinds of stuff, and I was like, but bro, we're doing the same thing.
Speaker 2: Man.
Speaker 1: You act like you're a plumber who reviews movies. You're a film critic just like I am. And Charles hit me with you know, at the church, right, you have two pastors and then one is delivering the south. It's like, okay to sha. You had to you had to bring God into it to get me up off you. But it's all right, It's all right.
Speaker 2: That's what he's saying for it. He's my protector, he's my strong tower, my refuge. Wow. And what am I supposed to say to that? You're wrong? All right?
Speaker 1: So okay, so the two films just go over this one more time. So the two films we talked about this on the two projects. I just say, we talked about this weekend. I gave an A to Washington Black. I thought Washington Black was really really.
Speaker 2: Let me ask you this question, Yes, is this a TV A or is this a film A? Or is there a difference? There's no difference, man, I mean, Washing Black is better than Superman. Mm hmm. And and.
Speaker 1: To me, okay, I'm just let me phrase that, they're okay. That's a good question. That's a good question that I think about it. These projects are all different, man. So when you you know, there's stuff, there's documentaries, like I gave Lutheran A so you're like, luth is better than Superman and Superman was a documentary. But no, I think I think Washington Black sometimes and I'm just gonna be transparent. Sometimes you you you're giving grades the movies man, because they exceed what you think they are, right, and I think that you know, not to say that Fantastic four exceeded what I thought it was, but the first three were so not not my cup of tea, and this one actually works. I can actually watch this again. Yeah, I can actually watch the Fantastic for the first Steps again. But yeah, all right, man, So we're getting ready to get out of here now because Shane has got us on the straight fifty eight count. As we tell you every week, man, please see something good at the movies. We gave you a couple of options, and always remember to keep it real, keep it strong.
Speaker 2: I messed that up. We'll see you next week. Take care, Charles was waiting. I messed it up, man, I messed it up. Next week. We'll see you guys,