Speaker 1: Time for Coffee and Company. Fueled by Thornton's on Sports Talk seven ninety.
Speaker 2: Holy crap, I don't know who the hell we think when we.
Speaker 3: Are get off our show, idiot.
Speaker 2: The kids are playing to trail off.
Speaker 3: The countries are screwing it up.
Speaker 1: Gold Play Inner.
Speaker 3: Murals, Brother, gold Play Inner Murals.
Speaker 2: They're supposed to be mature adults, but they're really not.
Speaker 3: Who's the kid here?
Speaker 1: Who's the kid here?
Speaker 3: Are you kidding me? Now? Here's Nick Coffee?
Speaker 4: All right, good afternoon, and welcome in Coffee and Company. Fueled by Thornton's here on Sports Talk seven ninety.
Speaker 2: My name's Nick Coffee.
Speaker 4: Happy to be here with you, the travel chief alongside producing this afternoon, and we're gonna take you up till six o'clock. So sit back, relax, make yourself at home, get comfortable, buckle up, let's ride, let's vibe. In fact, I just sent the daily tweet letting people know in case they forgot, which it's hard to imagine anybody would forget. I mean, I'm sure everybody is just waiting impatiently on the edge of their seat throughout their day to get to three o'clock to have this experience that is Coffee and Company. But I sent the tweet out to remind folks in case maybe they were distracted on social media. But I used the video of Pat Kelsey doing some kind of like weird moonwalk. I mean, it's kind of a vibe almost looks like, you know, maybe he's he's like slipping on like ice or something.
Speaker 2: But it works.
Speaker 4: Man, when you've got a team that is seventeen and two and I mean right now putting together one of the best bounce back seasons you'll see in college basketball as far as taking a team that was for lack of a better word, ass to now being a team that you know is safely in the tournament and just mowing people down like they did last night. So Pat Kelsey was vibing, We're gonna vibe today for the next three hours, so of him so much. Yeah, he's last night was kind of one of those nights, wasn't it. Like we've we've enjoyed the revival all throughout. It's been awesome, just kind of living in the moment right and and just enjoying the fact that the previous you know, nightmare is over. And man, this thing's been fun and it's been successful, and then it's not over yet. I mean, you still got March and all that kind of stuff. But for some reason, last night it just kind of felt like, maybe it's because people were realizing, Okay, this was the second to last time we're going to see these guys, and they played well, they won eighty five sixty eight could have been worse than that. So yeah, last night just kind of felt like one of There have been many really good nights since this whole thing started, but last night, for some reason, I wasn't there, but I was with you in spirit, Austin, and and it just oh, you.
Speaker 2: Didn't no, no, not that I didn't make it. Okay, well you.
Speaker 4: Could have told me that you went, and I would have just you know, I would I would have just believed it.
Speaker 2: But yeah, it was. It was awesome.
Speaker 4: And like last night, nine o'clock in town, weather's not great, but I still feel like, at least from television, I mean, it looked like a good crowd comparably, you know, compared to what we're we're basing it off of, you know, the crowds this year. And of course, you know, once this team got rolling, I mean, it was it was a rowdy environment, a lot of energy from the players too. I think Cal in a weird way kind of. I mean, I kind of feel like with the mad Dog being their coach and you know, Cal being cal basketball, I wasn't expecting it, but they were a little like they were talking some noise out there, they were talking reckless out there, and it fired up some Louisville players, and I, you know, I like to see that. I mean, I think they were able to kind of extend that lead, get it up more than twenty a couple of times, because there were some moments where you felt like, okay, all right, we were just gonna kind of whoop your alls ass, but now we might actually really do it because you're you know, I mean, Terrence Edwards getting the getting the technical for just getting up like that was wild. And then I don't remember specifically anything with Chucky, but like he was he was. I think Chucky's become the guy that if, if, if if there's any kind of a you know, intense situation where one of his teammates may be in a little bit of a potential scuffle, or maybe they're just he's just having words, Chucky's gonna be there ready to to you know, to ride for for his guys. And I think that that was that was what was going on last night. The best, the best ever is the SMU game where they're shaking hands and Johnny ballgame, Pat Kelsey's son was in the handshake line and players for SMU for some reason just decided they were not gonna shake his hand, but they would shake everybody else's. You know, a young a young kid so chucky, you know, I don't know if he chased him down, but like he he made a point to walk over to the guys that didn't shake Johnny's hand, and you know he had he had Johnny, you know, underneath his basically under his wing, and was like, hey, you guys are gonna have to shake this guy's hands.
Speaker 2: And I'm not sure if.
Speaker 4: They were scared of Chucky or just out of respect because he's Chucky.
Speaker 2: Hepburn.
Speaker 4: They decided, okay, we are we we will we will shake this kid's hands. So anyways, last night eighty five sixty eight, and I feel like early on it was sloppy. Fat had himself a hell of a game. Thirty five points for Terrence Edwards Junior, seven of eleven from three, and he really got it going early and that was kind of all that was going early. I think it was just kind of sloppy, you know, guys missing shots. It wasn't as if they you know, I don't think they came out like super flat, but they just looked a little sloppy and guys were missing some shots that you typically see them make. And to be honest, you know, when Rain Smith has been the Rain Smith, he's been for the vast majority of the season, and then all of a sudden, you know, last night he doesn't play much at all, and early on he couldn't make a shot. We know, he couldn't get shots to fall against against Pittsburgh on Saturday, but that was okay, you know, Chuck, he made six in a row. So like maybe when I think they're sloppy and man, they're missing more shots than I'm used to, it could just be a product of you know, Rain not every now and then hitting two or three in a row, right, because that's kind of what he's done all year. But eighty five sixty eight again was the score and really a balanced attack out well, you know, I lied, it felt more balanced than it actually was. You had sixteen a piece for Hadley and hepburn and then Terrence Swards of course had thirty five and then Waterman kind of a sneaky can I say it, Austin kind of a weird, sneaky decent game for Watermen, Like there's no specific play, there's no stat on the stat line, but like it felt like he looked a little more comfortable and looked like he kind of fit. I think at times with Noah, the poor guy is out there to make shots and he really has not shot it well all year. One of the reasons for that is that he you know, he's got rods in his hand, but he's just looked kind of like he does like he's trying to find where he fits and where he can just kind of, you know, blend in and be a part of what they're doing out there. And last night I think was a step in the right direction to where, you know, everything for him, it kind of came within rhythm. He had some decent defensive plays and got six rebounds seemingly in like five minutes. And then James Scott not a great night for him, I mean two or four from the field, but he did miss two he missed one dunk and then he missed another layup, and you know he'll make some big plays for you. I love his motor, but it really is unusual to see a guy that will play usually thirty minutes a game and offensively, you know he's makes some good pass It's not just all because on offense. Obviously, you can be a good offensive play like, you can do some good things offensively and be a be somebody that is productive for your offense, but not because it's you scoring. So like, I think James is actually a decent passer. I think he usually makes really good decisions in the high post. But when it comes to scoring the basketball, man, my guy, he's got to be Duncan or it just might fall apart. I mean that he had a and I hate to pick on him, but he had a nice little dime from Chucky underneath the rim, and then he bobbled the ball so he could have dunked it and then just missed that opportunity. And then once he did gather himself, he did get fouled kind of, but like he missed a bunny layup. Like, if anything, the staff is well aware that this guy on offense like, if you're gonna have him take any kind of shot, it needs to be right near the rim, and it preferably needs to be a dunk, because when he's doing that, he's usually pretty good. But anyways, just some other numbers to run through really quickly here. I mean, Louisville eleven of twenty three from three, that's forty eight percent. I mean that's the like if you're making eleven threes and you're shooting in the forties, I mean that's nearly fifty. I just think that's gonna be a really good recipe for this team. And keep in mind they did that without Rain Smith making a single shot and he only played six minutes, which we'll talk about Rain coming up here a little later on. I want to act like I've got information that I'm gonna tease that to share with you guys. I don't have a clue what's going on with Rain, but obviously he's a weapon that you'd like to have as you get this late in the season, in fact, one game left before you start postseason play.
Speaker 2: But he's been dealing with I don't know what it is.
Speaker 4: Again, all we can do is speculate, but to me, it seems like it's a similar situation to Chucky to where he could play and then maybe he aggravated it. There was a play where he I guess he was trying to draw a foul and they just lost the ball right there on the on the sideline, and he kind of looked surprised in a way that he didn't get the call. And then he also kind of like the body language made it seem as if he might have not suffered some kind of big injury, but just it might have tweaked something. So again he goes back to the locker room, comes back out, and the tunnel ends up sitting on the bench. Was in good spirits, I mean to me, it really is very similar to what happened with Chucky.
Speaker 2: So pack Helse is going to talk.
Speaker 4: Tomorrow, and I'm sure he'll be asked about Rain as far as what he's going to say, not really sure, but cal I mean, they're not a good team, trust me, but you kept him. I mean they shot thirty percent from the field, twenty one of seventy went overall, twenty eight percent from three point range.
Speaker 2: They shot thirty two threes, and I.
Speaker 4: Kind of feel like even when they did score, they were like kind of shooting some shots out of their rear end, but yet again they still shot thirty percent overall. So a good defensive night for Louisville and now they're just one game away from wrapping up the regular season. They should be able to take care of business against Stanford on Saturday on Senior Day and finish with an eighteen and two record in ACC play and then, really, if things go chalk right, the teams that you know have been winning ninety ish percent of the time. You know, Clemson, they won at Boston College. I don't know who they play next. It might be Virginia Tech. They should win that one. Louislle should beat Stanford, and then it comes down to that Carolina Duke game. I don't think that Carolina will beat Duke, but it is in Chapel Hill, and if Carolina pulls off the upset, and again all the others of the other things that are expected to happen do end up happening, louisvill would actually be the one.
Speaker 2: Seed, which would be cool.
Speaker 4: But the only reason I would like that because it would mean you could claim you have a share of the regular season title. I mean, that's another thing to add to Pat Kelsey's resume in year one, he wont to share of the ACC regular season title in his first season. But also, if you get the one seed, it might make your path a little easier to get to the ACC championship game because that semi final game would be the four seed if it goes Chalk, rather than you playing Clemson, And I guess the four seed is going.
Speaker 2: To be who gosh is it SMU? Is it is it Wake?
Speaker 4: I mean, I don't even know, because right now you've got clearly the top three teams, and by the way, as of now with Leonardi, the only three teams in the tournament as of right now from the ACC are Louisville, Clemson, and Duke. So if you end up getting the one seed and you plays SMU, that really doesn't I mean, I guess technically it would probably fall somewhere similar to the quad. It would be a quad one just like Clemson. But I'd rather play Clemson just because you would be able to mean, there'd be more value there because Clemson's a top fifteen team and we know they're a tournament team in fact, looking at bracketology, and we'll get to this layer.
Speaker 2: We don't need to get distracted. I get way too distracted.
Speaker 4: When it comes to looking at any bracketology or even thinking about bracketology and then looking for one and then just.
Speaker 2: Getting lost in it.
Speaker 4: But anyways, so far this year, I mean again, I say so far as if like we've got a long way to go.
Speaker 2: We go one game left.
Speaker 4: But the acc one of the things that you've heard NonStop about the league, even for me, I mean I don't it's not been the main point every day on the show. But like we know the league is down. Louisville can't control it. It's not their fault. All you can do is play is on your schedule, and I think it's actually set up well to where it's not ideal, But it's not been as big of a you know, an issue for Louisville fans.
Speaker 2: I feel like because we.
Speaker 4: Don't care that the teams we're playing night in and night out aren't great. I mean again, you'd like to see your team challenge to benefit the resume, but because of how awful Louisville has been in recent years, that like we're still able to have last night and it really feel like a big moment because what Louisville did was really what they were supposed to do, right, beat a bad team. But that feels better and it's more enjoyable now than it usually is because again, where we've been so the ACC we all know is not great, and I just feel like if, if, if everybody's of the belief, I don't know why Louisville can end up getting four All ACC selections when it comes to the the the All League team because obviously Chucky would be the player of the Year if it wasn't for Cooper Flag right, I mean, he's the best, He's the second best player in this conference, best point guard in the conference. Uh leads the leads the conference and assists and steals when it comes to in you know, doing that in in league in league play. So Chucky's a no brainer first teamer. And I'll be honest with you. I tweeted this out earlier and I stand by it, but I want to clarify, like, I'm not predicting this happens, because I really don't think that it will happen, but I think that it should. Like I think Chucky will be the only guy to get All ACC First Team, and I would say, they might get one guy on the All ACC second team, and it'll probably be Fat. But I think if you really consider where the league is, I don't know. I mean, like Louisville, Chucky gets a lot of the attention for good reason. He's the I mean, he's the guy that really makes all this work. But Terrence Edwards, I mean, Louisville is now a I mean, they're a two loss team. If they win Saturday, they're gonna finish, you know, in second place and potentially could end up winning a share of the league. And he's averaged in league play seventeen points. He's making at least two threes per game. He's had, I believe now six games in ACC play of twenty points or more so, when you're on a team that is likely to finish eighteen and two and you're averaging seventeen points, like I mean, I feel like Fat is deserving of All ACC first team, But I don't think he's gonna get it because I just think it's gonna be tough to see anybody get more than one, and then on the second team it'll probably be Fat. But I really do believe John Hadley is deserving of All ACC second team as well. I mean twelve and a half points, seven point three rebounds, which is top ten in the ACC. I mean he's shooting over fifty percent overall in ACC games, better than forty percent from three point range, and he's also shooting seventy eight percent from the line. And then Rain Smith, I mean, we talked about it yesterday. Rain Smith is a guy that most people just know as a shooter, and clearly that's the weapon he brings to the fight, right Like, that's that's what Rain is.
Speaker 2: He's a shooter. But he's also just a good player.
Speaker 4: And regardless of how he's getting his points, he's averaging thirteen and a half points a game for a team again that is in that top tier of this league, likely going to finish eighteen and two, leads all a Power five players in three pointers made. In fact, he's got thirteen more threes than anybody in the ACC, ninety four point two percent from the free throw line.
Speaker 2: So again, when it comes to.
Speaker 4: All ACC first and second team, that's a group of ten guys total. Louisville getting four of ten not gonna happen, right, just not. But I really feel like this has been a collective effort. Like Louisville, they don't have a deep bench, right they bring Trey Ore off the bench.
Speaker 2: Can I give you some minutes.
Speaker 4: Noah's really been spotty because of the injury and just really you know, you never know if it's gonna be his night. Big Frank will occasionally get in, but like the core of this team, those four guys, and look, James Scott can be in there as well. I mean, I don't think he's gonna get any type of award for all acc first second or thirteen maybe honor will mention, but you know, he's been He's been pretty consistent with what he does too.
Speaker 2: And I think.
Speaker 4: Cooper Flag is gonna win Player of the Year right, like there's no I don't think there's any there's any question about that. In fact, he'll probably win National Player of the Year, to be honest with you, and I can't disagree with that.
Speaker 2: He's been very, very good. Jenni Broom's been good.
Speaker 4: As well, But I feel like Cooper Flag is a bigger it's kind of a bigger factor in Duke's success. I feel like, in fact it's happened and it might have been Behim who said it last night, which, by the way, I can't tell if I love Behim on a game or I hate him. You listened to him last night, Austin, what do you think?
Speaker 2: Like, h.
Speaker 4: Just it's whatever. And then occasionally he'll be a smart ass and it's funny, you know what I mean? Sure, like he's funny when not, like I shouldn't say not trying to be funny. Maybe he's trying to be funny, but like he doesn't give you like this orchestrated bit to like try to be funny and make make a joke with a one liner. Like he's just kind of being the old Yeah, but like he's kind of a smart ass and it works, like it plays with me a little bit. So anyways, right, shout out Bay him again. Sometimes I can't stand him and wish they would put him in the nursing home. And then sometimes I'm like, okay, I can come to me. He's got a little Larry David at him, like he's got a little Larry David that the old kind of you know, funny to him. But anyways, Bay, I made this point last night that Jeni Broume got hurt and Auburn was able to roll without him.
Speaker 2: They didn't lose a game without him.
Speaker 4: If you know, Cooper Flagg never played and if Louisville or not Louisvill, but if Duke played a lot of these A SEC teams without Cooper Flagg, they probably still win because again again we know where the ACC is. But also like, I just think he's a bigger piece to what his team does, and I think he should be National Player of the Year and I would be shocked if Heat doesn't end up getting that on her. But anyways, looking at the the the rest of this league, I mean again, when it comes to Clemson, I would say, I mean, Hunter's probably their best bet as far as a guy that's going to get first team honors. And then you've got also the big fella Ian schneid Scheifflin, he'll probably be second team. And then outside of Flag, I mean, I think you could make the case. I mean honestly I would.
Speaker 2: I don't know.
Speaker 4: I don't think he'll be there, but like I wouldn't be against Like put it this way, if Fad doesn't get first team, which he probably won't, I'd be okay if it ended up going to Canipple because he's been really good, and I think most people realize that, but maybe they don't realize how good he is because you know, he's playing alongside Cooper Flag and you know, kN Knipple is also averaging thirteen and a half points four rebounds. I mean, he's having a good year for a freshman, but he'd probably be easily getting twenty one a night if he didn't have you know, Cooper Flag playing alongside him. And then after that, it's where it gets interesting because guys can still be honored by the league even if their team's not great.
Speaker 2: But I don't know, like when you look at the.
Speaker 4: Leading scorers in the ACC right now, I mean you got Burton at Notre Dame certainly a good player, but like Notre Dame last night with the win, just punch their ticket to make the ACC tournament, like they've been terrible. I just to me, it's gonna be It's gonna be whatever, right, Like I feel like I'm turning into like this whole it's just weird to be in this position with worls of basketball after we've been so bad in recent years.
Speaker 2: But we would all get so worked U about.
Speaker 4: As Lamar going to win the MVP as lamargot to win the MVP and then the Heisman race. Of course back in the day, it's not to that level yet. But like Pat Kelsey, when it comes to Coach of the Year awards and these players with the honors that I think they deserve, like, it's not that big of a deal. It's not something we can control. But I kind of feel like I'm gonna be pissed off if it doesn't go in their favor and they don't get the proper accolades that I feel like they are they're worthy of. But yeah, I mean, you've got the big fellow from Stanford, who, of course is gonna be a tough matchup. He's averaged twenty points a game, rayn Od, He's he's right behind Burton. Jamiir Watkins, he's averaging eighteen and a half. But like Florida State stinks, Hunter Sallas, he'll probably end up being on there, and I have no issue with it.
Speaker 2: JJ Starling.
Speaker 4: I mean again, if I had a vote and I was putting together my first team, second team, third team, I'd have a hard time putting anybody on the first and second team that is not from a top five team, because you know that maybe they just play for awful teams, right, but also like, I mean, if they were that impactful and that good, maybe their team wouldn't be, you know, awful.
Speaker 2: So anyways, one.
Speaker 4: More regular season game left and that kind of makes me sad. But again, it's the best time of the year because next week we've got ACC tournament action. We've got i mean postseasons actually already started. There's some games going on as we speak when it comes to the mid Major tournament. So again, March is here and it is awesome. Also, we've got a new text line. You hear that the Ellen and Federal Credit Union, the Ellen and Federal Credit Union text line lives on, but just with a different number. Oh, BABO two four three eight ninety seventy three. All right, I'll remember that at some point, like it'll be a routine for me at some point. It's not there yet, but the number is FABO two four three eight ninety seventy three. If you guys want to text in on the Ellen in Federal Credit Union tex line, you can also give us a call. We'll open up the phone lines FABO two five's seven one seventy nine hundred A lot to get to before we get out of here. At six o'clock, Josh Hurd was on with Terry Minors yesterday, and I, you know, I try not to steer you towards Terry because I want to keep you here with me. But you know, Terry is Terry's a legend, and he had Josh Hurd on yesterday and there's some sound from that, some answers from her that I want to share with you guys. When it comes to Pat Kelsey, the whole conversation that we've had about you know, do you go ahead and give him a new contract? So some interesting stuff there and who else. Who knows what else we're going to get into. I mean, we do have a lot, but we need to get to a break so I can keep this thing on track. It's Coffee and Company and we are fueled by Thornton's right here on Sports Talk seven ninety.
Speaker 1: Now back to coffee and Company, fueled by Thornton's on Sports Talk seven nine day.
Speaker 4: That's right, Coffee and Company, field by Thornton's here on Sports Talk seven ninety. Take us with you wherever you go. You can listen live on the iHeart Radio up. Also listen live. It's seven ninety Louisville dot com. If you want to give us a call, you can do it five oh two five seven one seventy nine hundred and UH text line the L and N Federal Credit Union text Line. We have a new number. It's now five oh two four three eight ninety thirty seven. Again five oh two four three eight ninety thirty seven Ellen in Federal Credit Union text Line. Complaints, questions, compliments, insults, whatever you've got, send them our way. And uh, we already have a few people that are that were quick to text in as soon as I mentioned the number earlier.
Speaker 2: Thank you.
Speaker 4: I'm going to try to do this for the next couple of days, today and tomorrow, and then you know, I won't make it such a such a thing. But because we're starting fresh here, I would love if you could, uh, if you could put your name, even if you want it to be like, you know, like a character name, like obviously we can't be let's not, let's not do it. Let's also not you know, you know, be vulgar. Because I can't read certain I can't say certain things on the radio, but I hate saying texture or you know, I mentioned the text line. But like if I could at least do something to position each text that I read as if it's coming from like, you know, just the name, then then I'd appreciate it because I because because I can actually give you a contact name.
Speaker 2: So yeah, it's that new number.
Speaker 4: Who is Yeah, so Bert was the first person to ever text into our new text line. Shout out to you, Bert, I don't have a gift for you, but I'm sure it's a big honor for you. But Bert, he mentioned his name at the end, so now I'm gonna save it as Bert. So when I read his text, I can say, let's go to the Ellen and Federal Credit Union text line and I'll say Bert says this, and.
Speaker 2: Then you know, and then you know, who knows.
Speaker 4: Maybe if it's like a frequent texture, then like people will get to know the kind of you know, tone that you get, like everybody's you know, we still want to take calls and we will do that.
Speaker 2: But I just it's a crutch for me.
Speaker 4: I don't like saying Texters says this, because look, there's a lot.
Speaker 2: Of nonsense that comes in on the text line. Let's be real.
Speaker 4: The majority of the stuff that comes in is not something that that gets read on the air. In fact, there's a lot of stuff that comes in on there that people don't want it or expect it to be read. They just you know, want to insult me or you know, troll or or whatever.
Speaker 2: You know.
Speaker 4: And that's okay, that's what it is. But I also want to give the sense that, like, you know, when I do bring something from the text line and has value, you know, I want to shout out somebody's name, not that it's going to do anything for their ego or their or their you know, or their there's no benefit to them, but I just I would rather be able to Maybe it's the old school radio in me because I've been listening to this format for a long long time and text lines didn't used to be a thing. I remember Lachlan McClain used to read emails from from listeners and that, you know, but they would have a name, and it just made it seem more like a real, you know, interaction. So if you want to text in again, the number is FABO two four three eight ninety thirty seven, the Ellen in Federal Credit Union text line.
Speaker 2: Like and I remember there was.
Speaker 4: There was somebody who used to call in on like the postgame shows only and they would they would, they would say they were like I can't think of the first name, but I know it was somebody from Shaveley, Like I just thought that was cool that like Derek from Shavely or you know, Danny from Oldham County. Like, you know, it just gives people a little bit of sense of where the message is coming from. So anyways, by the way, the first ever text that came in from Bert it was a question about rain Smith and again I don't I don't know what what he's dealing with. It's a lower extremity. One thing we did learn about Pat Kelsey in year one is that they will be pretty tight lipped. I don't think it's like super secret of stuff, but they're not gonna They're not really gonna go out of their way to give much info on injuries, and really they don't have to. You know, maybe some people believe it Tom's when asked they have a little more info, meaning coaches and Kelsey, maybe they know they just don't want to say it.
Speaker 2: But you can always just.
Speaker 4: Fall back to what he falls back to, which is I'm not a medical person. I trust our staff, the Great Kate, she's.
Speaker 2: The team trainer.
Speaker 4: And even if people don't like it and they want an answer, like, there's really no fault for Kelsey for doing that, because it is really silly to kind of speculate. Although I was selfishly dying to know that Chucky, you know, wasn't going to have to have his leg amputated when he had that groin injury, which clearly appeared to be very minor, but you know, it was a scary thing. So with Rain disclaimer, I have no clue and I probably shouldn't even know. I probably shouldn't even do this, but I am, and I'm going to on the front end back let you know that this could just be all nonsense. But there is somebody on Twitter who claims to have run into Rain's family last night at the game, because that was a real bummer. I hope they're sticking around for Saturday, and I hope that he plays. But Rain Smith had a ton of family in town last night. They showed it, and they didn't show the group a ton on TV at least not that I saw, but they didn't mention it, and there was a lot of pictures on social media of it. So yeah, I mean nine thousand miles away. That's where they're all from. They made the trip here to Louisville, and unfortunately they didn't get a chance to see Rain do what we've been able to see him do here, which is, you know, be one of the best shooters that's ever played for this proud program. So again, this is what was said by somebody on Twitter, And I mean, I probably shouldn't be as paranoid here about, like, you know, sharing something that you know is maybe not true. But again, I have no clue if it's true, but it's at least out there, and it's believable. But again, it's just not something you can clarify. But somebody who apparently ran into Rain Smith's mom at some point during her time here, I'm not sure if it was last night of this morning has said that X rays were negative and he's getting an MRI.
Speaker 2: Today and he should be good to go Saturday. So who knows if that's true.
Speaker 4: But that that to me is plausible because he didn't seem to be super injured and he seemed to be in good spirits, like he wasn't worried. Although there was a long clip and I guess it wouldn't. There was like nine to ten seconds of them just showing him with a very stoic face on the bench, which it didn't look like. I mean, he was just him sitting there, right, He didn't, you know, like any human being. He was just sitting not knowing that the camera was on him for everybody on television to see. But because I'm worried about his injury, whatever it may be, I'm thinking, Okay, why isn't he smiling? Why wasn't he laughing? Did he wink twice? Is that the sign that he's really hurt? Like, you know, I'm overthinking it because I'm paranoid, but I think him not seemingly that bothered by it. And you know, the way they handled Chucky, Like I feel like Chucky probably could have played against Miami in the one game that he missed, but they didn't need him and they wanted him to you know, I think two things. One, I think they wanted to make sure and arrest him, and also I think they wanted to potentially see what this team could do when they don't have Chucky, because you know, there may be a time in the tournament where he's in foul trouble or God forbid he gets injured again or something like that. So again, Pat Kelsey will talk tomorrow. And I don't say this as criticism, but I would be shocked if he gives us any actual update that says he's good to go or but.
Speaker 2: I don't know.
Speaker 4: Maybe maybe he's practicing tomorrow and they know he's clear, so then they do give us the Maybe he does give us the thumbs up and say, yeah, Rain's fine. You know, we got him looked at and he's good to go. But clearly not having him would be would be a bummer. But I mean, I don't know. Never mind, I'm just going to assume that he's fine, and then we'll we'll we'll react to something different if we learn something different.
Speaker 2: All right, let's see here.
Speaker 4: This is where I gotta I gotta make a decision here because there's a lot a lot I wanted to transition into something else, but again, I want to keep this thing on track. I want to keep the clock management in a good place. So what I'll do is I'll use the little time left here in this second segment to kind of set the table for you folks. Right, I do want to let you guys hear Pat Kelsey in the locker room after a life night, because if it doesn't get you excited for senior Day, for these for these guys, then you have no you have no pulse.
Speaker 2: You're dead inside.
Speaker 4: Also, we can take a look at sort of how the uh most recent bracketology looks, and the love fest for Tod m love fest for Tyler Shuck continues because Todd mcshaye was on with Ron Roussillo, and I mean, they're just gassing up my guy Shuck, just gassing him up, and I love it. What if he's the third quarterback taking I mean again, I say that like it would be the craziest thing ever, and I guess it really wouldn't because I think we saw all year. You watch a lot of NFL Austin, Like you could tell the guy's got an NFL arm.
Speaker 2: Doesn't mean he's going.
Speaker 4: To be a successful guy that plays a long time in the league, but like we could tell he was special, but you really heard nothing about his NFL upside until you know, right around the time he was in the Senior Bowl.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I love his arm, talent, I love his I love his size. Right let shuck and go. He's you like that? Has that always been a thing? It is?
Speaker 3: Now?
Speaker 4: Like I'm just thinking, like, you know, there's he's He's got a fun name to where like if somebody does draft him and he becomes the guy because of an injury or something like, and he starts winning, like, there'll be something similar to that that that a franchise is going to use, right.
Speaker 5: Yeah, and yeah and over the I've seen one we got two words for you, shuck it.
Speaker 2: Oh. I like that, the degeneration X one. That had to be another thing. Yeah, it's his brand.
Speaker 5: And aside from not only is shuck a shuck get in love, but it's they're also showing love to just the development nature of Louisville football and Brian Bram and Jeff Brahm and what they've been able to do.
Speaker 2: With quarterback quarterback factory. Let's be really I look at it.
Speaker 5: So that's awesome. It's great that he's gonna do what he's got to do. It seems like everyone's also at the same time when they're falling in love with him, he's also falling in love with Jackson Dart too. So I've seen a lot where he's more like Jackson dork Jackson farts. That's a childish one. But we're killing it today. Our stand up sets tonight across the hall at thatcher Is. There's still a comedy club here at Forstree. I thought there was maybe they closed down already. Out they're renovating the gardens just for us.
Speaker 2: Good stuff.
Speaker 4: All right, One other thing I'll get to this will be for the four o'clock hour, because you know, Kentucky is still in a really good position to get a three seed in the tournament. Like they their resume, we know what it is. They've got a bunch of really good wins even though they don't have Jackson Robinson. They've also shown that without him they've been able to beat some good teams. So don't I don't feel like their fans are not excited about a potential March run. But they've just had a lot of losses and again most of them, in fact, nearly all of them have been to good teams. But there was a college basketball podcast that I really liked that said something about Kentucky as far as if they do this, then they should just be happy and over the moon. About year one with Mark Pope, and I kind of feel like I understand why the podcast host was saying that, but I also just can't imagine Kentucky fans viewing it the way he laid it out. So again we're loaded the rest of the way. Stick with us again. I had a new number for our Ellen and Federal Credit Union text line at five way two four three eight ninety seventy three keep a locker right here on Sports Talk seven ninety.
Speaker 1: Now back to Coffee and Company, fueled by Thornton's on Sports Talk seven nine day.
Speaker 2: That's right, coffee and Company.
Speaker 4: We were wrapping up the three o'clock hour here on a beautiful, cold, but beautiful Thursday afternoon. At least the sun came out and it warmed up enough to where that snow that was on everybody's roofs melted. I mean, I know yesterday when we left, did you know it was snowing outside Austin? I was, I mean, I guess. I mean I did mention during the show, like, hey, there's something falling from the sky and it's not rained. So it also just didn't seem like I just felt like the snow was probably going to be over for us, But no, we had some some dustings of snow that happened overnight, and sure enough woke up this morning, looked outside and all my name. You know, I guess just because of the substance of it, and of course I guess the temperatures not being super cold, like it just stuck to like certain areas like little crevice's in your in your driveway, that kind of stuff, and of course roofs. But yeah, at least it's sonny and that that helps a little bit. All right again, the new text line five oh two four three eight ninety seventy three. We've got more and more folks texting in, and I'm saving your name, so when you text in, even if you want to text in and just leave your name, like today and tomorrow, I'm gonna start saving contacts that way, whenever I read a text, I can say, you know, hey, uh Bert, because Bert's the first person who texted in. I'm sure he's gonna add that to like his LinkedIn profile, like first ever text on the new text line for Coffee and Company, A big honor for him, I'm sure. But I got Ben who's texted in, and I can read you, know, I can read you what Ben asked, and I'll do that coming up a little bit later on. And then John and Saint Matthews text in and he just wanted to say I love the show. You guys are great to listen every day. So thank you John and Saint Matthews. We'll take the compliments, man, trust me. Five O two four three eight ninety seventy three. That's the L and N Federal Credit Union text line. All right, So Jay billis he said something the other night on the call with the Alabama Florida game, which was a great game, by the way, In fact, was that last night? Yet it was last night and Florida, I mean they may be the best team in the country when it's all said and done. I mean, I know it's just one game, and you know they're beatable, they've been beat but the way they played Alabama, I mean it was to nerd out a little bit. On basketball, Alabama clearly.
Speaker 2: Wants to run.
Speaker 4: They want as many possessions as possible, they want to shoot as many threes. Natos has a formula very similar actually to what both Mark Pope and Pat Kelsey like to do, which is, hey, we want in rhythm threes. We want free throws, or we want shots around the rim, and we'll play a style that's going to generate as many possessions as possible so we can get potentially as many of those three things as possible. So Florida they like to play that way as well, right, I mean when Florida lost to Kentucky and Rup earlier this year, I feel like that was last time Kentucky was fully healthy. That was really just a shootout, like that was just okay, Like you know, back and forth, back and forth, back and forth, and Kentucky and winning, which again was a huge win for him. But last night Florida and sorry, I get distracted here text lines distracted me. I apologize, it's my fault, but they're coming in and I it makes me happy. But anyways, last night it was clear Florida was going to not let Alabama play as up tempo as they wanted and really just kind of forced them to be. It's not ground, it's not slowing it down and you know, burning out the shot clock, but it's just making them get whatever they get in the half court. Don't let them, you know, generate an easier said than done. I'm sure Alabama was able to still get some shots in rhythm and transition and you know, try to dictate the.
Speaker 2: Pace a little bit.
Speaker 4: But overall, Florida was effective and okay, we're gonna we like our chances here to slow it down and play you in the half court more so than up tempo, and they dominated. So, you know, Auburn, Duke, Florida, Houston. I feel like those are probably the best teams in college basketball right now. But anyways, Billis last night he talked about college back basketball needing to go to four quarters instead of two halves, and I'll let you guys hear his reasoning behind that.
Speaker 2: Let's see, here we go, where the hell is it?
Speaker 3: Here we go?
Speaker 6: But the rules that need to change. We need to go to quarters, and we're the only game of basketball played in the world that doesn't have quarters. Men's college basketball. And the reason I like it is you can reset team files at the end of the first and third quarters.
Speaker 3: It's just a.
Speaker 6: Smart thing to do. And we have to change the replay rules. Make it like the NBA give each team one challenge. If they get their first one right, they keep it for one more and then that's a it. Because we're the referees, and it's not their fault, it's the rule. They spend more time watching TV than they do officiating the game, but the rules that need to do so.
Speaker 4: I didn't even realize he was going to throw in the whole thing about the reviews, which I totally agree with, because you could only go review certain things, not everything, and you can interview everything, I guess at least mostly everything under two minutes. Therefore, when you only allow the everything gets reviewed under two minutes, you're you're you're you're making it clear that they're gonna get calls wrong, that if they did go look at the monitor, they could then change it. But you're only allowing it towards the end of the game. So you know, to me, that makes it to where, yeah, let's just live in reality where refs are going to make mistakes. Refs are gonna get calls wrong and that's just part of sports. And you get one challenge to let them go under the hood essentially and see if they made the right call and if if you get it, if you get it right and they were wrong, you you maintain that challenge, like I think, that's that's that's a no brainer. Now when it comes to the quarters. I'll just ask you, do you have do you have a care in the world?
Speaker 2: Like did would would it? Would it make any difference.
Speaker 4: To you at all if college basketball instead of two twenty minute halves they went four quarters.
Speaker 2: No, it doesn't make any difference to me.
Speaker 4: I I I agree, although as a college basketball purist, I do like that. It's like, you know, it's the only place we don't have four cools? Okay, but I think what's wrong with that? Like, I think that makes it unique. I think I think college basketball like is special and is different in a variety of ways. And I'm somebody that It's not that I fear change. It's just like I see no real reason to do it. If they did it, I would get used to it and it would be fine. But I've just you know, two twenty minute halves, that's what I think of when I think a college basketball.
Speaker 2: It would really still be the same amount of time.
Speaker 4: You just would have a break and you would split up the you know, you'd split up the bonuses would be different, as he mentioned. So you know, if they do it, I'll be fine, But like I wouldn't push for it because I don't really think there's any harm in the way it is. And I like that college basketball is now the only I mean, it's the only sport. It's the only level of basketball really at any level that that that that has two haves rather than quarters.
Speaker 2: So are you a big Billis guy? You love Jay Billis. It seems like you're kind of like indifferent on them.
Speaker 4: I that's a great question. I like, I think Jay Billis is good at what he does. I think he I think he's great. As far as an analyst, he's uh, he's he's different enough. I wouldn't say like there's others that are like him. He's not, you know, just your run of the mill analyst that's talking ball. He's got some personality. He can be funny, I think, I think.
Speaker 2: As put it this way.
Speaker 4: Yes, However, as Billis has gotten older, he's kind of become not get off my lawn guy, but not far from it. Like, you know, we like that you will say that refs are bad at times.
Speaker 2: We like that you.
Speaker 4: Would really really really hate the NC double A and like to to say that a lot.
Speaker 2: But like sometimes like we get it, Broa, we has gone old. We totally get it.
Speaker 4: So, yes, comparatively speaking, he's he's one of the best, if not the best, but like he's just kind of you know, like give me more young j Z lyrics unless complaining about the NC double A. Gotta go to work, Yeah, I gotta go to work, and we got to go to break. We got two hours left stick around. A lot more to get into, including Terry Miners. Had Josh Hurt on yesterday, and I want you guys to hear Josh Hurt talk about his man Pat Kelsey, and you know he did.
Speaker 2: He did get asked about Pat
Speaker 4: Getting a new deal, and we'll let you hear what he had to say right here on Sports Talk seven ninety mm hmm