Speaker 1: Welcome to the Parenting Roundabout podcast. I'm Terry Morrow and I'm Catherine Jileco. As parents and parenting writers, we can't help but see everything through a parenting lens. But as our kids have become adults, we find ourselves more interested in getting caught up on movies and streaming than I'm going over the same parenting topics over and over.
Speaker 2: So, since we're pretty sure we can find parenting wisdom anywhere, we're going to talk about what we're watching, what we thought about it, and maybe what we can learn from it, if only what not to do. Watch and listen along, and let's all make like we're doing something important for our families.
Speaker 1: Each Tuesday, we bring you a watch or rewatch of an older entertainment property. And for this week of May fifth, we are continuing with Lost, season two, episode twenty two, for the Road, which I guess refers to Anna Lucia and Jack's dad. Are they the two for the.
Speaker 2: Roads or what happens at the end?
Speaker 1: Yes, I remember very sharply what happens at the end. I did not have any brain souls whatsoever that recalled that Anna Lucia and Jack's dad met up and gallivanted around Australia. That part was lost to me, with a great deal of discussion about yes, I don't remember any of this, okay, but they do get people do get killed at the end, right, Yeah, yeah, yeah, that's right.
Speaker 2: Sadly, my gosh, but I was. I was shook, as they say, I.
Speaker 1: I'll bet it was so hard not to say anything last week about what's gonna happen. Right, let's just say a couple of people have come to the end of their contracts. Separate occasional flashbacks. Yeah, Anna, Lucia, sweety pie, don't go have sex with the guy and get a gun so that then later on you can give it to somebody to shoot you, you know.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yikes.
Speaker 1: I think there was much examination in this episode of your life choices, and they have not gotten better on the island.
Speaker 2: They have failed you.
Speaker 1: Yes, they have failed you. That's a parenting tip. Tell your kids maybe best not to have a weapon less to be turned on you. But also, Sawyer, seriously, swear got played so bad, buddy. Really, you're not gonna put the gun someplace else when you get busy. Uh, she played you like a fiddle, friend, she did, And then it came back to shoot her.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, it did.
Speaker 1: That. Was that was an upsetting ending.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it definitely got me. I was not expecting any of that. Yes, you know, so it's Michael who convinces Anta Lucia basically you know that he can take the gun. Well, anyway, there's a whole convoluted thing about how.
Speaker 1: You will take the gun and go shoot Ben for her because she has suddenly grown a consciousness, right because she was at an inconvenient time, she was.
Speaker 2: Just about to do it and she yes, found she could not, so he's gonna go do it. Yeah, But then it turns out this whole thing has been I mean, do we think that he was well, I definitely think he was sent there by the others to do this. Yes, But was it you know, like, if you don't do this, we're gonna kill Walt. Was it, if you do this, you can have Walt.
Speaker 1: Yeah, definitely one of those things, right, And I can't spoil it because I don't remember, but I do remember that, I mean, I do strongly think that this has been a setup by the others, right, And and I'm surprised Kate didn't say at some point, wait, you're talking about them all being shabby and everything. But I saw those costumes in a lot. Yeah that's not real, right, but she just old, yeah, yeah, come on, So yeah it's a setup and uh just so sad. Yeah, and sad enough with Ana Lucia because she'd kind of briefly there sort of was approaching a healthy conclusion. But then Libby walking in. That's the part that metaphorically killed me. It's like, oh, timing, honey, timing.
Speaker 2: Right, And did we do we think that was an accident or he was like, oh you saw me, Yes, you saw me get Ana Lysia, So now you've got to go too.
Speaker 1: Yes, that was I don't think he intended to do it. He had a look on his face like, oh bleep, Yeah, I got to do something right and so yes, so she was just collateral damage. Yeah, I mean I don't think it mattered who he killed as long as he got got Ben free. Sorry, yeah, his name is actually Ben. We haven't gotten there yet, right, spoiler for the name of a character.
Speaker 2: Yeah. So, why then did Michael shoot himself in the shoulder at the very end of the episode. Yeah, I think that there was a gun battle exactly that he's at first I thought he was going to take off with with the prisoner, but instead it appears that he's going to stay behind and say so that he can relate the story that they were all overwhelmed, that he got the gun somehow shot Anna, Lucia, shot Michael, shot Libby, and then took off right, So he needs to be there to tell that story, I guess. And maybe they don't want him to come back, so I guess that's the way I should know. I can't remember the exact details other than that this happened and it was awful, and that Michael was not trustworthy from the moment they found him in the jungle.
Speaker 1: Be a little more careful, right.
Speaker 2: So well, and it could also be that Michael was, you know, brainwashed in the way that Claire was right.
Speaker 1: Could have been I guess, yeah, But I gotta think it's so he can get walk back, because it seems to be singularly focused on that. Think of how much trouble has gone on just through this entire person's life with trying to right.
Speaker 2: Trying to deal with Yeah, leading up to this was all the flashback that was supposedly I don't see it, but was quite a bit of Christian Chew as well, Like, I didn't realize we were going to be seen so much that.
Speaker 1: His agent is very happy. Are you're bringing the character back again? Yes, he's available. Yeah, I just said a completely no memory of that plot line at all. And then at the end it's kind of spoilery. But when he's at this house trying to Oh, I.
Speaker 2: Know what you're going to say, and I figured I've learned it from lost pedia.
Speaker 1: Yeah, there's a limited number of Australian young women we've met.
Speaker 2: Right, let's we go. We could leave it there.
Speaker 1: We could probably deduce it if you know how this show works, and what are the chances that Christian Shepherd's daughter is going to be somebody we've never met before? Zero? Yes, he's bumping. They all keep bumping into each other somewhere or other. All your got slammed with the door and.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean did we everybody's connected? Yeah, I mean he was. Christian was really hammering that home with yeah, with anta Lysia, like it's fate for you to come with me? Like what is it? Where?
Speaker 1: But where did that come from?
Speaker 2: Sir? Yeah?
Speaker 1: Well he wanted some company and she needed something to do, so it worked.
Speaker 2: Out, yes, but at least we called her mom before he did, and her mother said, I'll be waiting for you at the airport.
Speaker 1: A long wait.
Speaker 2: I'll be waiting a long time. But you know, they didn't have that hanging between them anymore.
Speaker 1: That's good. So that's good from a parenting point of view. Anytime you separate from your young person or are talking to them on the phone, or basically they're coming back from a trip whatever, Always have closure, Always say goodbye, Always say I love you. I just did to my kids right now when they went out, you know, Always be say you'll be there. Don't let you know. You never know, they may wind up on an island and just have that last contact with you to remember, right, so force it every single time. I kind of wondered though, when she said I'll be there waiting at the airport, where she could be there waiting at like with you know police officers. Take no, I'll be waiting for you, honey, I'll be there when they arrest you. It'll be fine.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Oh well yeah, I mean I guess we're supposed to think that her whole situation, like, you know, her mom knows what she did to that.
Speaker 1: Sleazy guy person who deserved it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and she's she quit the police force because of it. And so then she's found herself working at the airport. So obviously her mom has you know, cleared her path for that to happen, right, like she has made it so that it doesn't. She is she's not going to get in trouble for this murder.
Speaker 1: That she committed, it seems like, but now you know, karmicly, yes, she didn't even have to worry about one day going back home because she's going to be in a box now. She'll be just buried on on in the where the heck is an island, in.
Speaker 2: The growing cemetery at the island.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Yeah, they're going to have to hire a groundskeeper and you know.
Speaker 2: Mister is going to have to add that after he finishes. It's Churchill Hill, get going on that.
Speaker 1: Yeah yeah, well, I mean they can have a proper funeral now if they have a church. Yeah, but uh, you know from from Libby, we can learn just just sit on the sand. You know, if you go for a picnic and you realize you don't have everything you need, just wing it, don't go back, don't separate, you know, if you're going out going someplace with people, just stay with the group, stay with the person that you're with. Don't go back and get wine, dug alcohol.
Speaker 2: Get rid of all poor Hurley.
Speaker 1: Oh yes, it's like we feel bad for Libby, but mostly we feel bad for Hurley, don't Yes, the excellent acting by Cynthia watros Uh of face acting when Hurley says, maybe I'll remember where I remember you from, right, No, maybe I'll just go get shot and we'll never have to do Yeah.
Speaker 2: Do you think you'll ever find out?
Speaker 1: I don't know, but she I believe we're meant to think that she remembers exactly where.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, and.
Speaker 1: Would prefer that he did not, although I don't know why not. I mean, it seems like like telling him would be they could they could de bond over that. Yeah, and you know, what are the odds would be another weird thing, right that she presumably would know about the numbers. Also, if this guy was saying them all the time, Yeah, that's some corroboration. What poor Libby, wrong place at the wrong time.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and poor an Lysia, like you said, she grew a conscience and it really was just as well.
Speaker 1: Maybe exactly long time to go before she has chance to kill anybody else. Yeah, maybe she could just go in peace.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, her body count is just too at this time. No, no, yeah, maybe some more others I don't remember.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, it's not. Henry pointed out she killed some of them, and she's accusing him of being a killer.
Speaker 2: Right, which I can feel pretty confident he is. I think Henry Gale would would yeah, yeah, yeah, would confirm that nothing else.
Speaker 1: He is a master manipulator, and it is a delight to watch him work.
Speaker 2: That is quite true, as.
Speaker 1: Long as he's not working on you. Yeah, personally, he's got Locke's number, Holy cowed? Does he have lock number?
Speaker 2: And then Jack, I need to tell you something.
Speaker 1: Locke says at the woman.
Speaker 2: It is quite a bit too late.
Speaker 1: Absolutely, oh golly. At some point somebody says, don't do anything stupid. It's like, has everybody on the on the show done something stupid by now?
Speaker 2: Yeah?
Speaker 1: I think, I think I think says pretty much their way. Yeah, yeah, I think so too. And uh yeah, probably too late. But it's being doing stupid things is kind of their operational setting. Yes, but from a parenting point of view, don't you find the telling your kids don't do anything stupid always works.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so effective.
Speaker 1: It's like they go, oh something stupid. Yeah, yeah, okay, I'll go do that.
Speaker 2: I love that idea.
Speaker 1: Thanks for the idea, mom.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Well, it's like, you know, the whole thing.
Speaker 1: Don't tell them what not to do, exactly to do, because because the first part of the sentence gets stripped away and all is the thing that you don't want them to do, and that idea gets in there.
Speaker 2: Yes, and you planted it silly talk about doing something stupid.
Speaker 1: Yep. So they keep hammering home this thing of good ones and bad ones. Yeah, that the others want to take the good ones and leave the bad ones, which is, you know, from parenting point of view, pretty judge, and don't do that. Don't be separating your kids that way. She's the good one. This is the kind of thing that happens. They wind up on a deserted island and have all sorts of weird leap going on. You know what's also, you know, just a massive oversimplification. Everybody has. All of these people have good and bad in them, and also a quite large contention of stupid. The stupid is really the problem. They could overcome the stupid it wouldn't be a thing. But I think there has been a very small number of good decisions made on this island, and even some of the good ones come back to haunt them. So yes, oh yeah, yeah, yeah, yea yea yeah, so rough spot. Yes, all right, so we have anything else to say about this very sad thing? What happened in this episode before that very sad ending?
Speaker 2: Yes, but I knew.
Speaker 1: Where we were going, so sad all the all the Anna Lucia's soul searching was for not yes, but maybe she was a good person in the end, Yeah, which case he should have said, wait, don't you wait? I got to take her with me. So do we think Locke is really on the list as a good person and therefore desired by the others, or do we think.
Speaker 2: That that's just not Henry.
Speaker 1: Henry is just a dirty, dirty, dirty liar. I don't know.
Speaker 2: I mean, is the fact that he that Locke was cured of his ailment, does that mean he's a good person? He deserved it?
Speaker 1: Yeah?
Speaker 2: I don't know.
Speaker 1: That's one way that the thing we've seen, of things we've seen of his off island life, I've not been promising. He wasn't a bad person, he was just just dumb. There really needs to be a third candidate, right, easily conned, right bad and easily coned. Locke definitely falls into that third one. And Henry's stepping right up into his father's shoes and you know, messing with him, right, but.
Speaker 2: Get in get in here.
Speaker 1: Oh man, Well we shall find out, I guess, yes, but his head is surely being turned by this. What a mess. So next Tuesday we will continue with season two, episode twenty one of Lost, of which the title is merely a question mark. They will if somebody put on the schedule when I under what to call this, and then it just got too late and they ran with that left there, and I think it's a it's an it's an Echo flashback episode.
Speaker 2: That sounds right.
Speaker 1: I think it's Echo and Lock have adventures, okay, which is which is fun because the two of them are like two actors, one character mm hmm, although Echo has a lot more agency than Locke does apparently, but still sure they are the the mysterious guys with something on their mind, yes, or would like to in Locke's point. Locke's case, he would like to be that guy. Right, He's aspiring to be that guy, so it should be interesting anyway. We will see you back here tomorrow to discuss Running Point, in which no one is shot, although there is a punch true. Thank you for listening. You can find all our episodes on Spreaker, Apple Podcasts, Amazon Music, or wherever you get your podcasts. You can find recaps, links, and an opportunity to comment on our website at parentingroundabout dot com.
Speaker 2: You can also talk to us on our Facebook page, on Instagram or on Twitter, where you'll find us at roundabout Chat. And please visit our Amazon shop at Amazon dot com, slash Shop slash mamitude but you can find links to a lot of the things we've talked about over the years.