Speaker 1: It's Night Side with Dan Ray on w BZY, Boston's news radio.
Speaker 2: Thanks very much, Nicole. Nice to be back off for a few days around the holiday weekend. I want to thank Gary Tangway in Morgan White for sitting in and allowing me to spend a little bit of time away from the microphone. But I am back. We'll be back tonight, Tomorrow night, and on Friday night and then all of next week. So a you're gonna get me for the next week and a half, that is for sure. Buckle up. We have a lot coming up tonight. By the way, my name is Dan Ray and the host of the show, for whom the show is aptly named Knight's Side with Dan Ray. Just to give you a little bit of a sense of what we're going to be doing later on tonight, I'm going to talk about it looks like a mayoral race here in Boston, and it looks as if Josh Kraft, son of the New England Patriots owner Robert Craft may very soon preps even as early as February, announced that he will be a candidate for mayor here in Boston against Mayor Michelle wo So that gives us something to talk about for the balance of twenty twenty five, or at least too early November, and then later on tonight, beginning I'm guessing around ten o'clock, we're going to talk about the executive orders issued by President Trump in the last couple of days. As I kind of mention it, the good, the bad, and the questionable. So there are some which I think will long overdue and some which I think we're a little bit of an overreach. But we'll get to all of that during the nine o'clock, ten o'clock at eleven o'clock hours. This hour, we have four guests here on the night Side News Update, and we're going to start off with Candace Lightner. She's the founder and president of an organization called We Save Lives, and there's sort of a subtitle here ending the backseat driver stigma. Welcome Candace Lightner to Night's Eide. How are you this evening.
Speaker 3: I'm fine, and thank you for having me very well.
Speaker 2: Now, first of all, I'm a bit of a back seat driver, but I don't think that's the back seat driver you're talking about. If I'm sitting on the passenger side, I like to help the driver. I like to when we're at an intersection, I like to check the ride and tell my wife or whomever I'm driving with, you're all clear, Oh there's two cars coming or whatever. So I mean, but that's really not what you're talking about here. You're talking about speaking up to save lives. Tell us about your program We Save Lives.
Speaker 3: We launched National Passenger Safety Week several years ago as a result of my giving up my car and becoming a passenger. And when I did, I realized that, oh my gosh, I have to start setting boundaries for drivers so that people know not to use their cell phones Bluetooth. I had to do this with friends, taxi drivers, and it occurred to me after doing this for a while, see, I wonder how many other people think to do this too, because in reality, it could save your life. And so I just became so interested and passionate I still am about the issue of passenger safety that I was able to put together a great group of organizations, more than sixty and we launched this which is now recognized by the National Highway Traffic Safety Association and it's called National Passenger Safety Week. You're right, we want passengers, Yeah, you.
Speaker 2: Said, I just want to go catch something here. You said that you gave up your right to drive. Did you have some sort of you sound quite young. Did you have some sort of a medical issue that or did you do this voluntarily? Or did you get tired of driving?
Speaker 3: What was it that's recorded?
Speaker 4: I know?
Speaker 3: I actually was in a crash before this with a distracted driver totaled both of our cars and broke back. And so as a result of that, I decided to give up my car for a period of time. Actually I gave it up for about three years, and I actually just bought another one about a year ago. But during that three years I became a passenger. And you really don't think about what the driver is doing until you become a passenger as often and as long as I did. And I'll tell you, though, the thing that really got to me is I electure at Columbia and I would talk to posts NBA students and I would ask them how many of you had written in the car with somebody who's drunk, and so hardly anybody would raise their hands. And then I'd say what about if they're drugged? And they'd say, well, legal or illegal drugs? I'd say both, doesn't matter, and they more of them would raise their hands, and then I would say, well, how many of you you have written in a car with someone who's distracted? And everybody rose their raised their hands, and I looked at them and I said, why would you do that? Why would you risk your life to ride with somebody who's driving dangerously? And I was absolutely amazed at how many intelligent people would do that. I mean, have you ever, oh.
Speaker 2: Have I driven with people who are distracted? Sure? Yeah, yeah, But generally I'm like, I'm ninety nine percent of the time driving, and I think I'm a pretty good driver, and I think I pay attention. And if you looked at my, oh what is it now, my eleven year old Vovo, you'd say this must be a pretty good driver, because it's in pretty good shape. That's that doesn't mean I couldn't get into an accident tomorrow, obviously, you know all of us have at different point in our life. I guess got into some sort of you know, fender benders. But it sounds to me like you had a horrific event, a life changing event, and and and good good for you. Now let me ask you, you obviously deal with people whether it's a you said, a cab driver or whomever. Uh, and if they're doing something which is clearly dangerous, which includes obviously looking at their phone talking on their phone. When you drive, when you drive with someone else, do you try to help that person who's driving or do you feel that when Like I'm I will always when we come into an intersection, I'm looking because if the car's coming from the right, I'm going to take the brunt of the crash. And I've always whether whoever I'm with, I'll always try to say, well, you're clearing the right, nothing coming, or you got about five seconds here and if you if you can't go real quickly, we got to you gotta wait, do you or do you sit there and oblivious to what's going on outside and you're really focusing on the behavior of the driver of your car.
Speaker 3: Well, I tend to be helpful. I tend to be a helpful driver. Back to one of the things that I do. I don't like it when drivers to get directions will upload their maps and look at the map on their tiny little iPhone or on their dashboard and think that's being safe. So what I do is I offer to give them directions. I ask them not to look at their maps, but I will give them directions and myself when I drive, are you Siri and Sory gives me verbal directions And I don't even have my phone where I can see it. I mean, it's just down.
Speaker 2: I agree with you. I agree with you on that. You sound like the sort of person that I'd be willing to get in the car with. Let me ask you canvas give us the website so people can get more information about We Save Lives. I think it's very important. Give people a chance to check out your website. Go right ahead. What's the easiest way people can either get in touch with you or reach out that we Save Lives.
Speaker 3: Well, you can just go to we Save Lives dot org, which is our website. We also have another one, National Passenger Safety Week, also dot org and get and link onto that. And there's two things that I really want to mention here. One is the Courage to Intervene promise. And this is one of the things we ask people to download and sign. And unlike most promises and pledges, this does not say I will not drive drunk, et cetera. Instead, it will say it says things like I will stop my friends and loved ones from driving buzz, drunk or drug. I will not ride with them if they are under any kind of influence. And it goes on like that. But the second thing I want to mention, mainly because I work Similarch so much to his victims of car crashes motor vehicle crashes, is the parent checklist. And I don't know if you have children and how old they are, but I do wonder. And I've had so many parents say to me, especially mothers, after telling me about their child's death as a result of a passenger in the car, if only I had known, If only I had known, they were driving with someone who was unlifensed, who wasn't a safe driver.
Speaker 2: So we have a parent Not to cut you off here, Candace, but I'm stealing time from my next guest. How can how can parents get to that information quickly most effectively?
Speaker 3: Again, National Passenger Safety dot or go to tool kids.
Speaker 5: It was fair.
Speaker 2: Oh that's great. That's great. Again, we went a little longer, but it's well worth it. Uh, Candace Lightner, the group we Save Lives dot org or National Passenger Safe. Thanks very much, Candice, best of luck. We'll have you back?
Speaker 3: Okay, thank you, bye bye, very welcome.
Speaker 2: Coming up, we're going to talk about supporting single moms during Poverty Awareness Month. Back on Nightside. My name's Dan Ray. Back in the big chair here, the host of Nightside, coming to you every Monday through Friday night from eight until midnight. Got a great show for the balance throughout the evening. As a matter of fact, we just did a very interesting guest mortcom Coming up on Nightside.
Speaker 1: Now, back to Dan Ray live from the Window World Nightside Studios on WBZ News Radio.
Speaker 2: Our next guest is Alison Carter Marlow. She's the executive director the Boston executive director of the Jeremiah Program. Allison, whereas we're talking about supporting single moms during Poverty Awareness Month, tell us about the Jeremiah Program. How long has it been active? And it is also a Boston based program as I understand it.
Speaker 6: Sure, Thank you.
Speaker 4: So much for having me. It is a pleasure the Jeremy sort of what sort.
Speaker 2: Of microphone do you want here? Allison? I'm getting all sorts of Are you on some sort of a headset happened?
Speaker 5: No, I'm not, but I did have a heater plugged in is that any better?
Speaker 2: I don't know. Why don't you just Rob will work you with worth your fifteen seconds again, it's a better audio version. Okay. We're talking with the executive director, the Boston executive director of a group called the Jeremiah Program. And this is a program that mark's January National Poverty in American Awareness Month, and the focus is on supporting single moms during Poverty Awareness Month. And certainly, if we are ever to break the poverty cycle in this country, I think we're going to have to focus on single moms who are trying to care for themselves as well as their children. Alison, I think we have you back. Let's hope that the audio is a little better. Go right ahead, Allison, tell us about the German.
Speaker 4: Program so much.
Speaker 5: Thank you. I hope this is better and stronger.
Speaker 4: Okay.
Speaker 5: The Jeremiah Program was founded in the early nineties by a priest in Minnesota who was seeing a number of young single moms who didn't have stable, affordable quality housing, who didn't have childcare, and who didn't seem to be on a path towards economic mobility. Most of us would define that as college access or what I like to call mortgage paying jobs, and so this father founded a location in Minneapolis that housed a number of women, provided quality childcare on site, and allowed moms to go to school and to work. Since nineteen ninety three, there are now nine campuses across the country, three in Minnesota, one in Nevada, one in Maryland, one in New York, one in Texas, one in North Dakota, and one here in Boston. The Boston campus has been around since about twenty fifteen. Twenty sixteen, we started with a partnership of doctor Richard Wiley and the then president and CEO of Jeremiah, Gloria Perez. Moms were housed on campus in Beverly, and yet as the program evolved, it was clear that moms wanted choices. They wanted to be able to go to different colleges, access different majors. For some of those moms, Beverly was just too far, and so the Jeremiah Boston program now encourages moms to go to whatever college makes sense for them. Indicot is still a very strong, wonderful partner to the Jeremiah program, as his Urban College of Boston Laborarey College of Healthcare. Our moms attend sixteen local colleges in Boston.
Speaker 2: There is probably we mentioned Antegoch College. Was that the then president Richard Wiley, who worked with you, that.
Speaker 5: Was he was a great friend, a.
Speaker 2: Great friend of mine. Commencement beach at Endercart College in two thousand and nine. I can't tell you how impressed I am with that facility. So during this period of time from twenty fourteen to today, you're getting close to celebrating ten years here in the greater Boston area, how many moms have participated in the program and how many different schools have they either attended or matriculated from.
Speaker 5: Sure, so we in twenty twenty four we reached a peak and we're serving seventy two moms. Moms graduate or may opt out of the program, and so anywhere between sixty and seventy moms are served in our program a year. Those sixty to seventy moms in twenty twenty four had one hundred and twelve children. And our investments are in both moms and their children. As I mentioned, our moms attend sixteen area local colleges. They choose which college works for them. But it's a credit to doctor Wiley Endicott understand some of the unique challenges facing parent scholars and have just a number of supports that allow a mom who chooses that college to do very well.
Speaker 4: I do want to.
Speaker 5: Say that while we invest in moms, provide them coaching, provide backup childcare, try to partner with employers who are interested in hiring our moms and our graduates, we also invest in private tutoring. We subsidize summer camp, and we make investments into the children of our mom's five to twenty nine accounts. We are a two generational program, and we believe that once mom earns that credential, she is going to be the most influential in ensuring her children do that. They go from first generation college grads to second college grads and beyond. We graduate anywhere between four to seven moms a year. Moms finish either the Associates degree, they may choose to continue on with Jeremiah as they pursue their bachelors, or they may in their journey with us. Most of our moms are interested in bachelor's degrees.
Speaker 2: So do any of the moms ever come back and find themselves actually tutoring others or themselves helping with the program, or when they leave the nest, do they leave the nest and fly away? No?
Speaker 4: No, no, no, no no.
Speaker 5: And to this point of you know, poverty awareness, the reality is a marathon and not a sprint. Just because our moms are earning that college degree, that doesn't always magically translate into that mortgage paying job. We have a very strong alumni network among Jeremiah moms. We have close to thirty women who have graduated in the eight and a half years we have been on the scene. Our moms have four to six years that they're allowed to be in the Jeremiah program and pursue that associates or bachelor's degree. Those alum are very interested in some of the things most college grads are interested in. That is building their social capital, networking, being introduced to folks who might have a job opportunity or an internship opportunity. I think the thing that distinguishes Jeremiah program from so many other programs that support parents scholars. Our moms will speak to the sense of community and sisterhood they get to experience. We think that's a driver for college persistence in this population, and our alum are definitely close and still connected long after they graduate from college. There's still Jeremiah alum and they do reach back and offer to tutor and mentor our current moms.
Speaker 2: That sounds like a great program. How could folks get more information on the program or maybe even be a little supportive of it in some form of fashion. What's the easiest way folks can can find.
Speaker 5: The program www dot Jeremiah program dot org. You can look up the Boston campus. We have volunteer opportunities. A lot of our donors and supporters like to get involved around career panels where we're exposing moms to the different fields they might leverage their college degrees and enter. You can give and donate. All that information is on our website and we certainly accept any ideas people might have for sponsoring our events and our programming.
Speaker 2: All right, Jeremiah Program dot org, Allison, sounds like a great program. Thanks for joining us tonight, and sorry about that a little bit of an audio glitch at the audio does much better as a result of taking a few seconds to get it squared away. Thank you so much, appreciate it. We get back. We're going to talk about heart transplants. Adult heart transplants. It is amazing to realize how many adult heart transplants have been done nationwide. Here in New England and most specifically the Tufts Medical Center. They completed seventy doult heart transplant last year twenty twenty four, broke their own record for the second straight year. We'll be talking with doctor Michael Kiernan, who's the Associate Chief of Cardiology and medical director of the Ventricular assist Device Program at Toff's Medical Center. Coming back right after the news at the bottom of the Urts Nightside with Dan Ray.
Speaker 1: Stay with us, It's Boston's news Radio.
Speaker 2: Oh truck Day. I remember doing live shots at Fenway Park when I was at Chern for doing Truck Day Fenway Park. It is like the end, the unofficial end of winter. It was so much fun, something to look forward to. I want to now introduce you all of you to doctor Michael Kiernan, who is the Associate Chief of Cardiology medical director of the Ventricular assist Device Program at Tuft's Medical Center. Doctor Kierenan, Welcome to Night Side, sir.
Speaker 4: How are you hi, Dan? Thanks so much for having me you in the show. I'm doing great. I appreciate the opportunity to speak a little bit about the great work that's hippening here at Tough's Medical Center and discuss heart failure. So thank you again for having me.
Speaker 2: Well it's going great. And I never realized that, what was it about five thousand heart transplants nationwide last year, and you guys had a pretty good sized trunk of that. But I didn't realize that heart trans transplants were becoming I don't want to say common, but so frequent. It's been a long way from those first heart transplants back in the sixties and seventies.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I know, that's right. The transplant program here at Tufts began in nineteen eighty five, you know, and since that time we've done eight hundred transplants, and of course, you know, I think we wish we didn't have to do heart transplants, but you know, heart failure remains a leading cause of unfortunately death and disability, and so transplants really the final solution for patients who are no longer responding to medications. But yeah, you're absolutely right, Transplant medicine has come a long way, and it's even in recent years there's been a number of new innovations that have allowed us to dramatically increase the volume of hearts that we'll be able to provide to people that could unfortunately otherwise be you know, die waiting on the waiting list for an organ to become available.
Speaker 2: So before we talk about toughts, and I do want to talk about toughs. Because you did seventy adult heart transplants last year twenty twenty five, or you broke your y it's a new England record for the second straight year. As I understand it a lot to be proud of there. But I thought that I saw the figure somewhere on forty eight hundred nationwide. Was that the figure that that I was or did I misread that?
Speaker 4: No, No, that sounds that sounds that sounds right.
Speaker 2: Yeah, approximately, So it's amazing to think, Uh, this is a long way from the days of debate and the and the the heart transplant pioneers. Let me just ask you a really dumb question, because I get paid to ask questions dumb or other ways. It has to be extraordinarily difficult to perform a heart transplant. I mean, I just can't imagine what it is like. I have trouble changing the battery in a flashlight. I mean, how give us a sense of what it's like in that room when you're doing a heart transplant. You have to have a team of I'm guessing twelve to fifteen people. They're all knowing what they have to do and in what sequence. Give us a sense of it, if you.
Speaker 4: Would, well, it does. So Number one, I don't want to I don't want to disappoint you, but I'm actually not the surgeon, so I'm on the medical side. So the cardiologists provide all the care you know, before the heart transplant, when the patient's waiting in the intensive care unit, and the care once they're out of the operating room. But yes, I mean there's the choreography of coordinating the transplants, and it takes multiple surgeons because you need a surgeon on the donor end, which could be a patient somewhere else in the US, retrieving that gift of life, that organ, and then of course a team of surgeons on the receiving end getting our patient ready to receive that heart. And it has to be you know, intimately timed so that that heart that's in transport coming to us is ready to enter you know, the patient's body to restore again.
Speaker 2: It's a short period of time. Generally it's someone who has died. As I understand that if I'm wrong, please help me out. In a motiv a crash or something like that, where their organs are donated and the heart, what's it about twelve hours that the heart can remain viable because I know sometimes you'll see the transplant of course here and the person who donated the heart was in an accident in Ohio or something like that. Am I correct on that?
Speaker 4: Yeah? Well, so that's one of the new innovations, to be honest. So you know, historically we were actually in a four up until you know, the recent last five years or so, we had about a five hour window or four you know, four to five hour window at most where we needed to be able to get a heart that wasn't beating out of the donor back into our recipient. But there's new tools that have allowed us to extend that where we have an organ that's now beating outside of the body and what we call our perfusion system that can allow us to travel. We've actually our surgical team has retrieved an organ from Alaska and not on you know, from the West coast is now kind of a frequent occurrence for our patients to get donations from again from the west coast, where five ten years ago that was impossible. So that is one of the innovations that allowed this.
Speaker 2: So what's the window The window has expanded from four to five hours, it's still a very limited window.
Speaker 4: I mean, well it's still yeah, I mean usually, well, the I would say, certainly, it's usually within twelve hours or so. It is a fair number. I wouldn't say there's not you know, there's not a tail end of it, to be honest, once heart is on this profusion system, but in general these are done within about twelve hours.
Speaker 2: Wow. Just amazing. And then if I could ask has the life expectancy of the dony us, I assume it's substantially increasing over time. I mean, you know, depending on the age of the recipient in their own physical condition. What's the lifespan that we're talking about when someone is successfully transplanted.
Speaker 4: Yeah, well let me start with the So let me in terms of framing it in terms of what is really gained. So in people with really end stage disease, it's generally a coin toss whether or not, they're going to be alive a year from now, and so that's why you're you know, you take the risk of doing a heart transplant, but when you know things go well, which they most commonly do. We're talking about on average, close to fourteen to fifteen years of additional life, and that means on average, so half of patients do better than that, but of course half are on the on the shorter side of that as well.
Speaker 2: Okay, but still the idea of fourteen of fifteen years.
Speaker 7: You said on average, that's an average, correct, So yeah, we're you know, we're restoring a decade and half of life to people that otherwise would have, you know, probably a year or less, and of course that year or less is incredibly limited because of the disability and symptoms these patients have.
Speaker 2: Wow, it is just incredible what you folks can do. And I never imagined it would be fourteen to fifteen years on average. Is this is so difficult to talk to you about because I'm not even sure the best questions to ask. Obviously, we celebrate what you've been able to do at TOFFS, and we realize that you're rising to just I think an incredible I mean, I know little about medicine, believe me, and I'm overwhelmed and honored to talk to someone like yourself who's been involved in all of this. Where do you think is where do you think will be five and ten years from now? At some point I assume the advance the advance advances are going to have to taper off, do you know. I mean, you've made tremendous strides in the last fifty years, ken is there's still room to grow and lengthen the time that people's lives might be extended.
Speaker 4: I think certainly there's ways to continue to improve utilization of organs that are are that may be discarded for a number of reasons, and so by doing that that allows greater access to patients that wouldn't have access to this therapy. So there's lots of room for improvement there. I mean, there's a whole ton of innovations that are occurring in transplant and heart filiar medicine that are incredibly exciting that you hear about in the news in terms of zeno transplantation, which is genetically modified organs, but that is still I mean, that's more than a decade I would say into the horizon. So that's far from being available, but there's a lot of enthusiasm and excitement about thinking towards that direction.
Speaker 2: And let me just ask you a question as a cardiologist, what is the one thing or the one or two or three things that people can do, irrespective of their age, that that advice you would give my audience to stop doing or to begin to do that will lengthen the time that their own hearts will work well for them, you know.
Speaker 4: And I think it's what people know. It's to get up and move, you know, it's to lead a healthy life. It's it's it's a thing we all hear about regular it's exercise, it's it's diet. Food, food is medicine. You are what you eat, but you need to be exercising, moving and eating well. And then of course, you know, uh, not smoking. We've made a lot of strides as a community in terms of awareness of the ills of tobacco and avoidance of alcohol as well. Well.
Speaker 2: I just want to say thank you very much for what you do. Thank you so much for being with us tonight. Hopefully a lot of people now realize that that the Tofts and and all the great hospitals we were fortunate enough to have in our area just doing what most of us would think of this miracles every day of the week. So thanks very much for your time and your information tonight. I really do appreciate it.
Speaker 4: Yeah, Dan, thank you for helping to bring awareness to this. I appreciate it. It's great speaking with you.
Speaker 2: That's the least I can do, my friend. Let me tell you, Doctor Michael Caernan, Associate Chief of Cardiology, Medical Director of the Ventricular assist Device Program at Tufts Medical Center. Thanks again, doctor m Doctor Kernan, I appreciate it very much.
Speaker 4: You're very welcome, Take care, goodbye bye.
Speaker 2: When we get back, we'll talk about something a little lighter, and that is Glocester's Soul Salty fourth annual Festival, UH coming up this weekend, believe it or not. And we got all the information from you from Oliver Barcer, who's the director of the Cape Inn Museum. Coming back on Nightside right after the break.
Speaker 1: Now back to Dan Ray live from the Window World, Nice Side Studios. I'm do WBZ News Radio.
Speaker 2: All right, it's been cold couple of days or a few days here in New England, and I'm hoping that the weather's going to warm up a little bit as we get towards this coming weekend. And I tell you this, we can get you some great activity if you want to go north to Gloucester with us. As Oliver Barker, he's the director of the Cape Ian Museum, and Oliver, I believe we talked about this a year ago, and I hope that the publicity helped a little bit. This is the fourth annual Gloucesters So Salty Festival coming up. I guess this weekend. How are you tonight?
Speaker 3: Dan?
Speaker 6: It is great to speak to you, And yes, the publicity was wonderful last year. We actually had eighteen hundred visitors who braved the cold weather and joined us last year to enjoy some of the fish cities recognizably salty character. So we follow this again. We've got ten ice sculptures that will be on view.
Speaker 2: And they're gonna be They're gonna be a good shape. Oliver. I think the ice sculptors are going to last.
Speaker 6: I think so, but we want people to come and see them this Saturday and Sunday if possible. I'm told that it's gonna get marginally warmer this weekend, so I'm hoping that listeners can rug up and join us for what should be a lot of fun this weekend in Gloucesgow.
Speaker 2: Well, you know, I was out today and I gotta tell you, when the wind it didn't blow, it wasn't that bad. So if we can get you a weekend up there without a lot of wind. You have indoor activities, you have outdoor activities. Let's let's pick some of the activities. It's Saturday and Sunday. Okay, that's the first thing they have to know. And both days it goes from ten in the morning until five in the afternoon, so the sun is up at ten o'clock. Put it's gonna gonna the best part of the day. Give us an example of what you can do on Saturday, and let's talk about some of the things on Sunday.
Speaker 6: Fantastic. So on Saturday, one of the great highlights, something that was so popular last year was a sing along sea shanty presentation. This is being offered by a group called Three Ship, Three Sheets to the Wind, and that's going to be taking place between two and four at the Unitarian Universalist Church in downtown Gloucester. That's just a wonderful way of hearing people sitting and actually joining in many of the choruses. So I think that would be a great indoor activity once you've come and seen all the sculptures outside, and then moving to Sunday.
Speaker 2: We've got before before Well I'm not going to rush you here before you moved to Sunday. Okay, wait a second, I'm talking about you can get breakfast, lunch, or dinner, or you can get a or a sweet and salty cocktail in an igloo. Is that an actual igloo at mile mark or one on Route one point three?
Speaker 6: It's an actual igloo.
Speaker 2: Yes, we're talking.
Speaker 6: We've got. There are all sorts of salty and sweet treats that many of our sister businesses along Main Street are offering. We've got there's a bakery that's offering cookies with special mold and salt on top. And and if you want, if you're shopping, have shopping in mind. I know one of our local vendors will be selling specially warm socks to keep everyone cozy as they as they walk around the downtown.
Speaker 2: Well, I get this one. You buy one, you get one free chocolate chip cookie. I would be stopping there because that's pretty good to me cookie guy. Right, absolutely, So then let's move that's that's all weekend. But so on Saturday you mentioned the sea shanties buy three Sheets to the Wind. Yes, that that should be a lot of fun. That's from two to four at the Unitarian Universalist Church. You got some open mic poetry readings you got on Sunday. Let's let's talk about some of the things on Sunday. What's paint salt water dough fish? What's that mean?
Speaker 6: So that's one of our local businesses called Local Colors that has fish that are made out of dough that people will be able to paint. Speaking of kids activities, a sister institution, Maritime Gloucester on Gloucesters Waterfront is offering a kid's activity between ten and four as well. So there are lots of things for people to get there, get involved in and bring their families, and lots of family friendly activities that are off of this weekend.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so there's there's again when you talk about the ice sculptures and a looking at some of the ones from last year, they're just beautiful. When are they already created or are in the process of being created? You know, today and tomorrow and Friday.
Speaker 6: So the sculptures are all actually being made by local artists by the name of Don Chappelle. He's creating them as we speak in his studio in North Andover and he'll be delivering them on Saturday morning. And for anyone who's there early, it's fascinating to see him actually assemble the sculptures in situ who he comes with a chainsaw and he makes certain sort of touch ups as his positioning the pieces and making sure that they're stable. So they're being created as we speak and will be installed on Saturday. And we have ten sculptures this year, with subjects ranging from fancy fish and lobsters all the way through. Many of your listens listeners might be familiar with a great author and a great book by Virginia Lee Burton called Mike Mulligan and the Steam Shovel. It's a book that many kids grew up with a wonderful story, and Virginia Lee Burton is a or was a local in Gloucester. And so we're actually having Don Chappelle make an image of the Steam Shovel for younger audiences this weekend as well.
Speaker 2: That's great, well, Oliver it's great. It looks as if there's a lot of activity up there. People conduct in and out of the shops and stay warm. A lot of it is all a kid friendly and family friend friendly, as they say, poetry readings, free stickers, you know, food fun. It sounds like a great weekend, and it's a great weekend to get us through Jeduary. And it's a real tradition in Gloucester. This is the fourth annual one, so they can get up there. Where can they get information if they want to get all the information that I'm looking at right now? What's your website?
Speaker 6: So the website for the museum is Capeandmuseum dot org. And if people on Saturday or Sunday head straight to the museum, which is a twenty seven pleasant street in Gloucester. I'll be there with a group of volunteers. We're going to be handing out guides so that people can find the sculptures and also access all the great other offerings that are taking a place around the downtown this weekend.
Speaker 2: That's great, well, Oliver Barker, I hope that you have much success. Is even more success than a year ago.
Speaker 4: It is.
Speaker 2: Gloucester is so salty and it's the end of January. It's the last full weekend in January, so take advantage of it all, particularly if you're here within the New England area. It would be a great day either Saturday Sunday from ten to five. Oliver, thanks for coming back and joining us again. We'll talk to you next year.
Speaker 4: I love that.
Speaker 6: Thanks again, Dan, take care, You're very welcome.
Speaker 2: Okay, when we get back, we're going to talk about the Boston Mayor's race, which seems to be coalescing. It appears that Josh Craft. We'll talking about Josh Craft and talk about whether or not Mayor Michelle Wu will now actually have a race to deal with this year. It's twenty twenty five, it said mayor all election year in Boston. We now have maybe a second candidate, maybe there'll be more, who knows. We'll talk about it right after the nine and then later on tonight we will talk about the presidents and some of the executive orders. I'm calling it the good, the bad, and the questionable. Back on Night's side, right after the nine o'clock news.
Speaker 8: Countertops installed in one day. Yes, they do call Bill Shay's and Quincy yep. That Bill Shay's Call. The company so serious about countertops that they put it in in their name, Bill Shay's Countertops. When you say cha's, you make your new counter tops