Speaker 1: Hey, everybody, Welcome to Game Breaking News with me Jeff Grubb, your host from GiantBomb dot com. Thank you for tuning in. In this episode, we're gonna be talking about oblivion potentially shadow dropping very soon in the best reviewed game of the year just dropped. It's gonna be a good one because we have Emma Fife on the show. Emma, how are you doing.
Speaker 2: I'm just freaking great.
Speaker 3: You know. I've got a copy mug here that really summarizes my entire life, which is that I work hard so my cat can have a better life.
Speaker 2: We'll see if he chooses to grace us with his presence. I actually do have two cats. I just have one who's typical.
Speaker 3: Star. Yeah, Light is the star and l just kind of lurks in the shadows. Speaking of my husband finally watched Death Note. So he inherited these cats when we moved in together.
Speaker 2: But they love him. They he is their dad.
Speaker 3: But he he watched Death Note recently and he was like, I feel a little weird about the fact that you named one of our cats Light, who is in fact a serial killer.
Speaker 1: Oh well, you know now that fits for cats. No, it's good. It's an appropriate cats are like if serial killers were adorable, Like that's.
Speaker 2: Exactly right, totally. Yeah, So that's that's my that's my summary.
Speaker 3: And I watched the season finale of White Lotus, which was a feature length.
Speaker 2: It was ninety minutes long.
Speaker 1: Yeah, opinions are all over the place on that that show. This season. I've not watched any White Lotus. Well maybe one day.
Speaker 2: You're not a White Lotus.
Speaker 1: I'm curious, but just out of you know, kind of I have not moved it up the queue to be like this is worthy of time right in this moment. It's sort of one of those things like, well, I'll get around to it one day.
Speaker 3: I mean it finished to make way for uh, of course Last of Us is coming back this Sunday. But yeah, it was, Uh, it was great. I loved it. It's really wild.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I've seen like clips and it looks like a fun show. A lot of actors just chewing on scenery, which I always appreciate.
Speaker 2: Yes, that is what I like about it.
Speaker 1: Yes, that seems to be that would be the appeal for me. And it's like they keep building up like guest stars and all these other things. My weight, they're in the show too. And that that is fun. Yeah. Yeah, it's it's been wild here is in the United States as terrorists continue to be a problem. We're going to talk about that in the news. Boy, I believe this stock marketing a little bit of a free fall here. So yeah, just a fun time. Don't check your four oh one k is everybody. Yeah, it's it's just it's yeah, a bad country, that's right. And uh, you know he's getting some criticism and his response to that is I'm gonna make it worse. So it's it's a fun time. But yeah, video game related still, because we still don't know when those switch to preorders are gonna happen. Uh, I'm hoping we find out this week, you know. I ideally we find out by the ninth, right, because that's when pre orders we're going to open, Yeah, and we're gonna be able.
Speaker 2: To Okay, theseffs go into effect.
Speaker 1: Yeah a lot of them do. Yes, Yes, many of them do. Some of them already went into effect over the weekend. I guess it's it's bananas. So I think Nintendo probably knows they need to give an update by then, because while they've said, hey, we're delaying pre orders, There're gonna be a lot of people who did not follow up that news, like to like keep on top of everything. They just saw preorders on the ninth. They'll return on the ninth, and then they won't be able to do it. So I think hopefully they'll have some kind of answer by then. Although it's a moving target because they don't know what's gonna happen. Still, you know, I guess they can assume worst case scenario, in which case that would mean a huge price increase, likely for the switch to maybe in for the Switch one. That's where we're at. It's a fun time. Let's explain ourselves here though. Most weekdays, I Jeff Grub will help piece your gaming life back together. That includes breaking news and maybe even some of our own original reporting. For all these topics, I'll get the input of a bona fide expert who will make me look smart. You are watching live on twitch Welcome. You can always listen to the show later on podcast feeds by searching for game breaking news, or find the RSS feed on giant bomb dot com. You can also catch the show later on YouTube. Hello YouTube. All right, we have a lot to get into, so let's start the morning mess with Blueprints reviews. Have you you paid any attention to blue Prints, because Emma, I think you're gonna like it. I have not.
Speaker 2: What is this?
Speaker 1: Well, it's not. It's the best reviewed game of the year so far. It's a ninety one on Open Critic last time I checked. I know one of the platforms on Metacritic has like a ninety four ish. Uh you know in that range. It is a solve them up. It's a first person solve them up. It is a roguelike in that you have like, okay, you are this kid goes to a house you've inherited it. There is a playfield that you can put like you could put different rooms in, and your rooms come from a deck that you build over time. Although you start with a lot of those rooms, and as you go up, you walk into one of the rooms and if it has doors, you can walk up through the doors and you can open the door, and then in that moment you have to draft the next room. It will pick three cards randomly, three rooms randomly, and then you are trying to build it in such a way that you can snake your way through this entire house get to the end. Although the goal is much much much deeper than that than it, especially as it first appears. Now that's the basics, and it gets much more complicated than that in that every room has I you know, I'm describing it as it feels like you were living inside of a deck building card rope, where when you put down a card, now like let's now walk into that card, and there's details within there that matter to other puzzles, that relate to other rooms that might help you discover things that are actually outside the house. Everything, everything sort of builds on top of one another, to the point where there are several like huge revelation moments that I had that gave me chills of like I can't believe I missed this, or I can't believe this is actually gonna work. I can't believe I solved it. It's similar to the Witness and uh uh, you know, was that the Forgotten City? Things like that? Just these games. Yeah, you're walking around, you are piecing things together, other you are coming up with theories about how things work. And now the cool thing about this being a roguelike deck builder is like, Okay, I have a theory on how this works. Now that is going to affect my drafting strategy for how I'm going to lay out rooms going forward. I want to get this certain outcome, so I'm going to try to do things in such a way that I can make that outcome the most likely. So it's like now you're actually playing the game in a new way each time you have these new ideas about how things might work. I guess early tips I would give is make sure that you're getting in those front corners of the house so you can maximize your keys in your gyms. Everybody. That's the stuff. How this is.
Speaker 3: Giving me a little bit of okay. So in the nineties middle nineties, Cludo Clue in the US was there was a version of it called Cluto Super Sleuth where you built the house as you went, and it was just like it was a more complicated version of Clue where ultimately you were like or Clue Cludo whatever wherever you're from, you know what it is, where you were basically trying to solve the mystery, but in order to do that, like you didn't start with evidence in your hand. You were building out the house. I remember really liking it.
Speaker 2: My quick search of.
Speaker 3: It now seems to be that it's pretty mediocre. But I was twelve maybe when I played ten twelve when I played this, So yeah, I mean it was like it was cool the conceptually, it was cool to like add the exploration element into clue it also because you're like building things out as you go and sort of manipulating the way that the house is, it gives me a little bit of a Betrayal at House on the Hill vibes.
Speaker 2: I don't know if anybody else has played.
Speaker 3: That game, which these are all you know, Oh I see Betrayal at House on the Hill in the chat right now, where again you're sort of like building things out. So yeah, yeah, this sounds very appealing to me, and as apparently on Gay Pass.
Speaker 2: So here we go.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I think Donca Bay said Jesse and Chat is right that a lot of people are going to try this based on these reviews and bounce off.
Speaker 2: But that sounds like it's pretty hardcore.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and it's I think, you know, the first taste of it is like, okay, so I'm just making these rooms connect to get to this room at the end, I don't care, and it's like, okay, you're missing a lot deliberately, the purposefully you're missing a lot because the game wants to like doesn't want to overwhelm you. If you knew all the things that were in this game when you started it, it would be terrifying. It's like, I need to understand what that is now, and it's like, no, no, just wait until maybe after you get credits, because I got credits after forty five turns forty five days and I'm on day fifty nine now and I just just in this last run pieced together one of these key things I discovered thirty runs ago. I'm like, oh, that, that's what that does. And now that now that has led me to a place where I can open up eight more things and it's like, okay, where where are we going from here? So it is definitely a game where if you are into it, you'll know, not immediately. You probably should give it some time, but you'll probably know after it about like five to ten runs, I would say, which isn't too much of too much time. And again you said it's I think it's on Game Past. I think it's on PlayStation Plus as well. I think I think it's oh wow, that's multiple of places. Yeah, but yeah, like like Sean's like, I don't have that kind of time, Like yeah, Sean bounced off, and it's like, uh, it just he said, it's like the kinds of things he does in other games to get to the stuff that he likes, And for me, it's like, oh, this is.
Speaker 2: This is stuff I like, yeah, yeah, yeah.
Speaker 3: You know.
Speaker 1: For me, it's like the games I get to play in my own head are the things that I like the best. A lot of times, I like a lot of different kinds of games, Emma, but I especially like the game that is, here's a bunch of puzzles or a bunch of things you have to think about, you have craft theories. And he likes other kinds of card games that are more competitive and things like that. So that's where he gets that stuff from. And I think a lot of people will be like, actually, this, this is the kind of stuff I don't like about deck builders or I don't like about roguelikes, and all that stuff is still here. For the most part. There are some permanent upgrades. There are some elements to the deck building where it's like, Okay, maybe you're not doling out new rooms as much as I or as fast as I wish you would so I think people that don't like these genres are probably gonna come in here and be like, this is still mostly for me, yeah, although I do also at the same time, I'm think it's gonna convert a lot of people who never thought they would like one of these games before. So well, there you go. It's a yeah, let's say, let's call it's my favorite game of the year so far. It's real.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I am really excited to try this.
Speaker 3: Also, like this game is made for my husband, Like, he will absolutely love this game. I'm gonna after this is over go tell him about it, and then he will probably download it on game Pass and I will never see.
Speaker 2: My roque ally again.
Speaker 1: I was trying it on steam Deck for a while and it was giving me these real bad problems where the controls would just stop working, and it happened. I'm like keyboard, it's better than mouse and keyboard. For sure, they have improved it on steam Deck, but boy, that experience where I was like getting to these major like breakthroughs of like, oh, I found this room I've been looking for forever. I'm solving this massive puzzle inside of this room, so I now I understand it and now I'm like, I'm gonna get to see what that does. And right in the moment, the controls break and I had no choice but to to reset it, and that I couldn't save my progress progress or anything of and that something like that basically happened three times before I'm like, well, I just got to go play this on the PC. It also didn't have cloud saves, so I couldn't like take my progress from the Steam deck go over to the PC, which was frustrating. Sounds like they're gonna maybe add that as well at this point, though, Yeah, I would. I highly recommend this game. It is pretty it's very cool. All right, let's get into some of this other news. Oblivion is very likely gonna shadow drop here pretty soon. It's supposed to come out. I mean, according to some other rumors I've heard, it's like April, and it's April. It's April right now, Emma. That's the crazy thing. And it's like, okay, well when are they When are they gonna announce this? Well, I've been told it's gonna shadow drop here at any moment this month.
Speaker 2: So okay, I thought you at any moment today.
Speaker 1: Who knows, I don't know that you know it's gonna shadow drop here pretty soon. What does that look like to you? Like, this feels like a big game it should be. You know, they're remaking Oblivion, one of the Xbox three sixty Yes, one of my favorites of all time. It feels like they could build a little showcase around something like this, but no, instead they might they might shadow drop it instead. I guess maybe there's an event that we don't know about. They could have a developer direct that they haven't said anything about, and they could shadow drop it within that. Uh yeah, but I don't know.
Speaker 3: Maybe or maybe it really is just like they're going to try this shadow dropping technique, see what it.
Speaker 2: See what it's like to basically not spend money on marketing for a for a game that already exists, You know what I mean? Like this is this is not a new game.
Speaker 3: This is a re release, remake master to some degree of an old game.
Speaker 2: So I yeah, I mean I think that U h.
Speaker 3: I sort of applaud them in a way if they decide to just kind of put it out there in the world and and test the waters on something that again, like this is a safe game to kind of try it with because obviously it's very beloved and and as you say, should be a big deal. And uh yeah, I like.
Speaker 2: This is a this would be interesting, It would be an interesting move.
Speaker 1: Yep. I uh, I think that you know you're right that this would be something. It still would be a test. Even though they did do a shadow drop with High Fi Rush. What was that, right you three years ago?
Speaker 3: Now?
Speaker 1: Is it like three years ago? It was a while ago. Jeez, it was. But that's different. Yeah, so you're explain how it's different.
Speaker 3: I agree, Well, because you're basically again you're you're dealing with a game here that people already know and like, yes, there's already there are already converts.
Speaker 2: Yeah, exactly.
Speaker 3: So that when you drop a game that is basically an unknown, that's very different than dropping a game that all already has a following, already has a fan base, so and it is part of an established, larger franchise. So when you are dealing with that versus something that's brand new, something that's brand new, it's like, oh, this is interesting, something that people are already have an awareness of. It's like, whoa, I can't believe that they did that. It would be like Nintendo Shadow dropping a Twilight Princess Refester on the switch, you know what I mean, Like it's like in that kind of realm of this is something people already want.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and you know, Jesse Alwao points out they did this with Ninja Guide Into and it seemed to work really well. In that case, I think that we are at least the very least getting a sign here that this is something that's worked for them and they're going to keep doing for these bigger games anyhow. And Oblivion being a I'm getting weird d jaf who I'm sure I've said all these exact order before at some point, but yeah, with Oblivion, it's like even bigger because there is a there's an Elder Scrolls fandom that is very passionate. I'll never forget being in that room when that lady was just screaming for Elder Scrolls online and I'm looking around being like, I don't know people cared about this game. Turns out there's massive amounts of fans for Elder Scrolls who just that's all they care about. So Oblivion is gonna be able to be like, Okay, can this work for this kind of game as well as how it worked for a Ninja Guide into and I think they they've found that it didn't work so well for High Fry Rush, or if it did, it maybe didn't work well enough. Yeah, I am looking forward to this still. I saw someone back a few chats back, say, hey, if I don't see a bunch of goofy stuff from this game in my timeline, this is going to be a This is a I consider this a failure. And I agree. They got to keep the jank of oblivion, that that sort of anything can happen magic, even if it's something goofy and broken.
Speaker 3: Uh.
Speaker 1: They need to keep that because I think that's part of what makes these games special is I want to explore, and sometimes that means finding a cavern I wasn't expecting and starting a quest I didn't even know exist in the game. And sometimes it means a you know, a creature hit me and I went flying two hundred feet in the air and I died. Either way, I get a cool story out of it. That's what I'm after in these games. So I'm hopeful Oblivion.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I mean, I uh, I was the only Elder Scrolls I've played is morrowind Actually on the Xbox back in the day.
Speaker 2: I have not played Oblivion.
Speaker 3: Uh. But again it's like I do think that it is very important to keep that appeal of the goofiness, of the brokenness. You know. I just on semi related in that it's big open world RPG. But I remember playing Witcher three, and this was many years into Witcher three being out. I was late to the party on that. I like started reading the books and watched the TV show and I said, you know what, I think I'll give this game a try.
Speaker 2: H And I just remember being in a fight with a monster.
Speaker 3: It was like a low level kind of undead raythie thing that I should have been able to take out in two blows, but the game glitched out. Uh.
Speaker 2: And it just it was invincible. I just had no chill.
Speaker 1: It's howago sometimes. Yep, that's exactly right, all right. Nintendo isn't using anti drift hall effects sensors on switch huge joints. Yes, this just popped up. I think Kyle orland Over at our Technica posted this after dealing with years of wide spread, ride spread reports of stick drift on the original switch Joy cons. Nintendo watchers have been hoping the switch to would make use of magnetic Hall effect sensors that avoid most of the physical wear and tear that caused the problem in the first place. Now, though, a Nintendo executive has confirmed that the joy cons on the new console won't make use of the more reliable, but more expensive technology joycn twos controllers have been designed from the ground up. Nintendo of America Vice President of Product Development and public Publishing Nate Bildorf told enthusiast site Nintendo Life in a recent interview, they're not Hall effect sticks, but they feel really good. Confirmation comes after Nintendo pointedly refused to offer details about the Switch two's joystick hardware at a round table Q and a session attended by our the last week. I think there was at some point a like speculation reporting and like people looking at shipping manifests and cost of goods delivered and being like, hey, it looks like they're gonna have Hall effect sensors, and you know a lot of people, myself included, were hanging hopes on that being true. You know, this is not new technology. The Dreamcast had Hall effects sensors, and if people are wondering what these are, these are just a different mechanism for tracking analog stick movement, and instead of an actual mechanism that moves around, it is a magnetic field that they can track kind of, you know, perfectly, and it doesn't degrade over time, at least not at the rate that a plastic mechanism does. So, you know, the Dreamcast controllers don't have drift things like that. They are more expensive, but they're not expensive, like, they are not actually expensive. They are just more expensive than the traditional analog mechanism. But every penny counts to these companies, So I'm not surprised to hear this, but I do think, I mean, it's a disappointment and I am probably a mistake long run. Now, I'm sure they have done other things to mitigate against drift, but the reality is this saves them money now, and it does still kind of keep a little bit of that ticking time bomb in there where Eventually these things do wear down. You've got to get a new seted ninety dollars joy cons right.
Speaker 3: Yeah, oh yeah, I mean, I remember, you know, good old twenty twenty play an animal crossing and I'm trying to freaking dig some holes to plant my garden, and my character is just kind of slowly sliding towards the ocean.
Speaker 1: Yep.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's annoying as hell yep.
Speaker 1: And it's you know, Nintendo is fully where the problem. They kind of extended warranties on JOYCN last gen because it's just happening to just about everybody anything that had one of those analytic stick mechanisms in there. We're seeing these issues pretty quickly, without doubt. Eventually it was happening to everyone. Yeah, well, we'll see how the how long these ones last. But you know, like I did with the switch one, I will likely buy some aftermarket at joy cons, some third party joy cons that have holifect sensors and a real dpad and all that stuff, and just use those instead, So we'll see it. Nintendo confirms you will have to pay to use the switch To's Sea button. This is a weird thing I didn't really think about. This is from Tyler cop at Polygon. Cop at Polygon. Nintendo has made its own discord like chat app for the switch to, and it's going to charge you for it once the free period is over on March thirty first, twenty twenty six. They're giving you a lot of months there game Chat, and the Sea button that activates it will require a Nintendo Switch online membership. So what happens if you aren't a subscriber and press the Sea button. Not much. Vice President of Player and Product Experience Bill Trendon told Polygon in a recent interview, you would be able to find out about the Switch on the line subscription there and get a sense of some of the functionality, he said.
Speaker 2: Cool.
Speaker 1: Presumably this is how you'd learned that the game chat works a lot like Discord video chat works on PC. You could talk to you with your friends and handheld or doc mode be a built in microphone and stream your gameplay to each other. There's even a camera you could buy to overlay your your overlay yourself with a stream on top of your gameplay, and talk face to face with others. Yeah, what like? Okay, I get that the online functionality for all these platforms are now paid for console, but having a whole button dedicated to that stuff and then make it make it so when you press that button nothing else happens other than you asking me for money.
Speaker 2: Yes, that's what I was going to say. This is an advertising button.
Speaker 1: Right, It's it's the Netflix button on my remote control for my TV right what.
Speaker 3: Uh?
Speaker 1: No.
Speaker 2: I remember when during the presentation.
Speaker 3: When they decaid we've added a C button and I was like, okay, what does that do? Is that like, because remember the Sea stick on the GameCube controllers, and I remember you would play Melee.
Speaker 2: And it was considered to be very cheap if you used.
Speaker 3: The sea stick to fight, because you can just kind of automatically combo that is.
Speaker 2: But now the sea button is just.
Speaker 3: Pay for Nintendo Switch Online. I was literally talking with my brother about this yesterday and we're like, wow, the switch to really added a whole bunch of functions nobody asked for.
Speaker 1: Mm hmmm, yeah. I think this is stuff where I think it most of it works backward from in video brings them tech and and they're like, oh, okay, well, you know this makes it so we can easily cut people's bodies out and place them over video. So wouldn't that be good for like for a video chat with your friends and all that stuff? And uh, you know they also have a voice uh uh clarity features that will get rid of some room noise and stuff like that. So we should make you know, voice chat front and forward and make it an important thing, and it's like it just feels so out of place because every other system has had stuff like this for so long that switch to emphasizing it is weird, but also still very Nintendo, where like, now we're doing it, you should care if you're a Nintendo fan, and a lot of NTO fans will care, But I don't imagine myself using like they's all get in the room and share a gameplay with one another feature on the switch to exclusively many more times than like a handful.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it is interesting though, because.
Speaker 3: It we're very in this world. Yeah, and so for us we go this makes zero sense. We have discord already, but there are certainly a number of people who, especially with Switch, which has again I think Nintendo just discovered about ten years ago that the Internet exists, that's had poor online functionality, and now they're going, okay, we acknowledge the Internet.
Speaker 2: And I think that there are.
Speaker 3: Probably a number of Switch users, more than we perceive, that are going, oh, this is cool because they aren't in this world, so they will pay for this.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, and and well, I mean like I'm definitely gonna be I already pay for this. I already have I Alato, I.
Speaker 2: Already pay for this. I just don't foresee myself using it.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Yeah, a lot of the features are you know, they're definitely superfluous to the to how I'm going to be using this thing. For the most part, we will definitely make content where we are using some of the like yeah, Jesse says the Mario Party Live stuff where it's like eye toy. Yeah, for sure, I'm going to be doing that. But it's I don't know, I think where it just kind of gets weird for me is yeah, sure, you buy a phone and then you don't get a subscription and the phone basically doesn't do anything. You know, you can kind of connect with to Wi Fi, but you hit that phone call feature and it's just going to open up be like, uh, what do you want me to do? I'm not you don't you didn't pay for anything, so this isn't gonna work, And it's like, okay, yeah, that makes sense for my phone. I don't love the idea of even like one step in that direction with the consoles, where it's like, hey, you now there's a dedicated button that doesn't do anything unless you're paying us, even though I'm definitely gonna be paying them because there's no way I'm gonna buy this console and not have Nintendo Switch Online. Yeah, and I need it for like online gameplay, something I will do a lot of. And then I like Nintendo Classics, something I do use frequently. So I'm gonna have this. But it's just a weird thing to like lay it out and think about, because it's just I don't know. Yeah, all right, latest on tariffs, So, God, last week, right after the switch to event, Trump announced tariffs on every country in the world, including some that are only populated by penguins. That's that's a shoot. That's something that really happened. Yep, ten percent tariffs on penguin shit. Yeah, So the fallout from that was immediate but ongoing. No one likes it, like kind of across the board. I think, well, there's you know, there's his sick of fants, his you know, biggest fans that are trying to justify it, but they just they don't understand what they're talking about. And then the people who do understand, like all these executives that work at all these companies that have stayed quiet or showed up to his inauguration or gave him millions of dollars for his inauguration, Uh, trying to like curry favor with him so he wouldn't do stuff like this. Clearly did not think he would actually go through with such extreme teriffs. They have all been caught off guard. And it is, you know, like we're talking about this stuff causing a recession, like that's where we're at at at a macro economic level. As far as you know hardware is concerned, Nintendo and really Sony and Microsoft, they are scrambling. They're kind of still playing the wait and see game. You know. One of the key things that Nintendo said a few months ago when asked about, hey, how are you trying to mitigate tariffs, they basically said, We've already built this in to our pricing because we shifted some production from China, the place that we know Trump wants to tariff, to Vietnam and Cambodia. Those are the countries that Nintendo mentioned by name. And of course now those are two of the countries with the highest tariffs against them forty six percent and forty nine percent, and that is for Vietnam and Cambodia. I think I might have mixed those up. But yeah, either way, it's oh, upwards of almost fifty percent tariffs. Now Vietnam has said, hey, what's going on the country is lobbying Trump saying hey, we will get rid of all the tariffs that you say are the reason that this is happening if we can get rid of if you get rid of the tariff's on us. Now the weird thing there, and it's not weird at all. This continues to be just him not really know what he's talking about, where he says it's because of tariffs from other countries, but it's really about the trade deficit. He has reportedly been in conversations with world leaders telling them that if you have a trade deficit or trade surplus with us, if we have a trade deficit with you, I consider that losing. And so I'm not going to get rid of tariffs until you get rid of the trade deficit, which is an insane thing. That's just it's completely baffling because it makes no sense. The trade deficit exists because we have more money and we spend more money in those countries than they than countries with less money spend in ours. And it's not cheating. That's just how commerce works. So the idea that he's going to like back off of these things without a ton more pressure is very unlikely. And I think all these companies are recognizing even if he does, like go back on these tariffs now, there's nothing stopping him from implementing them again a month from now. He did that to Canada and Mexico, and Canada Mexico is like, okay, even if he promises, right, even if he makes a bilateral trade agreement with Vietnam and Cambodia specifically, there's no guarantee he won't break those promises. Because he was the one responsible for the new free trade agreement between Canada and Mexico and the United States last in his last administration, and he immediately got went against those in this administration, you know, in this term. So I think all that sort of left Emma is price increases. They sort of have to just raise the price no matter what and hope for the best and then maybe lower the price here if those tariffs go away by I don't know, maybe Okay, well we've raised let's just say we raised the switch to by one hundred dollars. And so there's the system without the game for five point fifty and the system with the game for six hundred, now Jesus, and then okay, the tariffs go away. Well how about this, We're going to get rid of the one that comes with the game. Well, we'll just have the five hundred and fifty dollars one and now we'll include Mario Kart with that, right, And that's the situation. Yes, I'm talking about permanent price increases, but that's I don't I don't think that they go away from those once they pull the trigger on him. Mo, Like, how are you viewing all this?
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean.
Speaker 3: Dual Lingo of course has already jumped on this of you know, want to save money on the designder, but to learn Japanese in there, and they're very in the way that do a lot and goas want to do.
Speaker 2: Yeah, man, I don't know. I I uh, I.
Speaker 3: Was just you know, looking at a can of Mediterranean style eggplant with tomatoes and onions that I got a Trader Joe's.
Speaker 1: Made in I'm gonna pretend it was never real. I'm gonna something.
Speaker 3: Yeah, Yeah, I mean that's truly what it is.
Speaker 2: Is that.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I think at this point, you know, you are correct, there is no choice but to do a price increase, and hence Wine Nintendo has stalled on doing pre orders because they just don't know what the price of these things are gonna be. And as you say, they could be priced one thing one day, and then Trump could be like, just kidding, I'm gonna reenact this, you know, fifty six percent tariff for whatever crazy.
Speaker 2: Amount it is. And because there's just no consistency, yep, that's really what it boils down to.
Speaker 1: Uncertainty is the only thing that is certain. Yeah, you have to sort of imagine the worst case scenario and price it at that. And that's definitely how we got you know, it's one of the reasons we got to four to fifty in the first place is they are looking at a range of potential prices and they're like, eh, you know, for if the tariffs do come, we want a little bit of a buffer. But even yeah, just looking at all of our other reasons for raising prices, where wages have gone up because of inflation, components have gone up because of inflation, shipping all this other stuff has gone up because of inflation, and then we want to have some risk mitigation built in where we want to make sure if these tariffs do come or if something bad does happen and it causes a shock to the supply chain, again, we want to be on the higher end of the range of what we can get away with. And so they went with four to fifty and five hundred. Clearly what everyone agrees is about the highest they could have gone reasonably. And now they are immediately faced with tariffs that put into stunning relief just how unprepared that price actually is for the next ten years. Now you think two three years from now, we get on the other side of this, Trump gets distracted by something else and the tariffs go away. Like do they go back to the original price ever? Like, probably not? They probably don't ever really not?
Speaker 3: No, Yeah, I mean it's like they almost need to have a like a safety net, so to speak of.
Speaker 2: You know, they have to price.
Speaker 3: It at a certain amount, as you and I think that you know, your proposal of it's five point fifty, you know without Mario Kart, it's six hundred with and then the terroriffs change and you can do the five point fifty with Mario Kart, and clear it.
Speaker 1: Clearly gives them a lot of like it does a room to get creative with how they do.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it does give the room. It gives them room to get creative.
Speaker 3: However, I yeah, I mean I don't think that we're ever going to see it go below whatever the pricing is that they put it at of the without Mario Kart, you know, like, I just don't think we're going to get any lower than that. And and that is truly partially to protect against loss that they would come up against in the event that you know, these go away and then they come back and they just they cannot price it lower than that.
Speaker 1: They just can't. Yeah, it's uh, this is I mean, we were talking about us getting our video games, and of course, like we're talking about entire economies of countries like Cambodi and Va. My god, that just started like really becoming very enticing to all these major corporations, build your factories here, and we're industrializing like this is this is it, Like we're ready to like join the world stage in a huge way. You know, not that they haven't before, but it was really coming online in the last several years, and curves like these completely wipe out all of that to the point where these companies will probably just leave that country if they continue at this rate.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and that absolutely sucks.
Speaker 1: It's disgusting to me.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's disgusting because this is the thing, is that, Oh yeah, okay, we're going to create jobs in America, manufacturing jobs. We don't have the infrastructure for manufacturing. It is not been part of the US. It has not been a robust part of the US economy in terms of jobs in.
Speaker 2: Years. Miss.
Speaker 1: Even if we could snap our fingers though, Emma and magically have all those jobs back here, we don't have a god given right to those jobs. I'm happy, like, well, like they have. They're allowed to have jobs too. There are workers too. I don't like just because there's someone imagined a border between us, why am I supposed to be like, well, those jobs are bad and they should be over here. I'm just it's nationalism. And and as always with Trump, it's white supremacist nationalism.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, And.
Speaker 1: I'm just I'm over it.
Speaker 3: It's the per I have this perfect example this weekend of and again the the white supremacy, the racism.
Speaker 2: That you see here. Where I was I was making something with you.
Speaker 3: Know, and I was like putting a little MSG in it or whatever I was making, like a fried rice or something an Asian dish, and I said to my husband, I was like, what was the thing that made us all turn on MSG for a while? And it was that a single white doctor published an opinion piece on how it might have given him a stomach ache.
Speaker 2: And again it's.
Speaker 3: Just yeah, but it's but like and if it had been some ingredient that was a white people ingredient, it never would have gotten too the like anti.
Speaker 2: You know, Emma, She's just it's just a kind of salt. It's just a kind of salt.
Speaker 3: Like so anyway, yeah, it was all racism. And that is exactly what this is, of the idea that like, oh, the white people in America can do this better. No, we cannot. And again, you are completely screwing over these countries who have worked to build up being able or yes, to build stuff for us. That's exactly all you're doing, is you're screwing over hard working people who have have built up the infrastructure to participate in the global economy.
Speaker 1: Yep, yeah, And it's you know, you're right, like even if someone did a like a thought experiment of like trying to get a switch to factory up and running here in the United States, like in Ohio, Like what would that look like? And it's like speed running it. You could probably get it done in about two years. And even then, that is, if you accept that, which you know everyone does accept, you would not be able to make the chips or the LCD screen here like that. That would be that would take way way longer to get that up and running. And by the time you did it, the technology would have moved on anyhow, so you'd have to be you'd be retooling while you're also opening up these factories. And so it's like, well, you know, the screen probably the second most expensive part after the system on a chip, which is the most expensive component, and those are still going to be tariffed. So you're gonna do all this work and really not save all that much. You're not gonna send any money because the cost of labor is going to be higher. So correct yep, it's it is, you know, six hundred dollars switched to one way or the other. And then you know, if we keep like talking about Nintendo and the like, how are they going to get away with this? Here's here's the bad news. Everyone's raising their prices. Everybody's raising their prices.
Speaker 2: Everybody raising their prices.
Speaker 1: I mean, is going to be up in price here just a little bit.
Speaker 3: Even if your product, your product that you're putting out is made in the US, chances are not every component.
Speaker 1: Of it is yep. Yeah, for the buy and large it's not yep. All right, So, I mean the bottom line here continues to be no way out except for higher prices and so and that means higher inflation.
Speaker 2: It does mean you know, it was really great last Yeah.
Speaker 1: We had a nice break there. It's coming back. All right, let's take a break. When we get back, let's get well, hang on, see here someone added US tariffs weren't fact Oh yeah, yeah. Nintendo says that US tariff weren't factor into the four and fifty dollars price of The switch to the tariff news is fresh, and like many companies right now, we are actively assessing what the impact may be. Yeah, that's that was Doug Bowser kind of talking. Definitely, just saying, look, these tariffs were not factored into four hundred and fifty dollars, and really, like the four hundred fifty dollars price tag is so complicated at a point, it's like, yeah, like tariffs are just one of many things we were mitigating against, like many risks that we were considering. Really they were They priced these things at the price they can get away with. So four hundred and fifty dollars was at that price because they had all of these reasons where like hey, tariffs and rising cost inflation, people are used to paying more. We're going to go for it right now, all right, So let's take that break. When we come back, we'll talk about Phil Spencer and Sony talking about switch to and handhelds and all that right after this. Oh right, let's do this. Phil Spencer is very excited for Xbox handhelds this year. We've teased and talked about handhelds, and I'm very excited because we both travel and sometimes you can't always take your console on your or your whole gaming desktop with you. But it's really about building the experience around the person, and that's what really got me excited. Xbox isn't one single device at the center. It's not one game. It is the player making sure all of your games are available, all of your save games, all of your entitlements are available wherever you go, yeah, I mean, this is kind of him reiterating more that they have a handheld coming themselves, so if people are interested in that, don't worry, they have one, and he continues to make the point that it's about the Xbox experience on that handheld, which is what I'm most interested in, So that's coming. At the same time, Sony was also sending out surveys asking play station gamers how they feel about the switch to. Sony was conducting a market survey to gauge interest in purchasing the switch To. Survey asks about the interest in the switch to, with the opinions following the also opinions about the Nintendo Direct and its announcements and the appealing aspects of the console, basically going, hey do you like this thing? Oh, if you do like it, what do you like about it? That is probably them trying to understand how many people in their consumer bases are also going to be getting a switch to. Do you think there's a chance that they're also like probably working on a handheld and maybe they want to see what people like about it so it can help what they design.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I think that's absolutely what's going on is you know, obviously, the handheld console market is it's it was revolutionized by the original Switch because previously it was you have your console that you play your video games on on your TV, and you have your handheld, which you know, for a long time was a completely separate set of games that were very specifically made for a handheld console. But with the Switch, the idea was, oh, well, you can take a handheld and you can also plug it into your TV and do it all in one. So now you kind of need to be able to offer your games in a handheld format. And sometimes for me, like for example, you know, Steam Deck, Rogue, ally, all of the sort of handheld PCs they are they're heavy, they're kind of a pain in the butt to travel with, to be totally honest, and they have terrible battery life. But sometimes I just like to play on a couch at home, just like.
Speaker 2: Lay there and play my PC games, you know, So there's there.
Speaker 3: Is a lot of value in that. So it almost has nothing to do with travel at this point. It more has to do with just offering the various experiences. So I think for PlayStation yeah, it's like, of course they want to know what people like about the switch to what they don't like about it, so that they can factor that in when they are developing out their own handheld console, which is almost certainly in development.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I agree, and I think that both these companies will come to market with something that is going to be fun and interesting. They just you know, are going to struggle up against finding those nooks of the audience that Nintendo already has on lockdown, which is families and children, things like that, even like slightly more casual players that show up for Animal Crossing and know that they can get you know, their Stardu values on the switch as well if they want. And in the meantime, you know, Microsoft is Sony very hardcore focused, and so they will have to try to break through a little bit. I think make it a super friendly experience will be the first step of that. But then I think, you know, both these companies will probably be looking at like, hey, should we be making more family friendly games to try to make it, make it make more sense when a kid says, hey, I also want my own you know, Xbox Asis rog ally, you know, it'll take some time to get to that point. All right, let's see here Marathon gameplay reveal showcase set for April twelfth. This is from Salermano at Gamatsu A. Bungee will host the gameplay reveal showcase for science fiction player first player versus Player Extraction Shooter Marathon on April twelfth at ten am Pacific time one pm Eastern. The developer announced you will be able to watch it on YouTube, Twitch, and TikTok. Marathon will be available for PS five, Xbox PC via Steam, and a whole bunch of other stuff. They haven't announced the date, but I think it's still supposed to come out this year. This is one where I'm like, I had a source kind of tell me, hey, yeah, this is they're gonna reveal this next week. They are a bunch of like YouTube creators checking it out, and it's like, oh no, Apparently it was more than just YouTube creators, so I had no idea like a bunch of like journalists were also there. But yeah, apparently a lot of people got their hands on with it. I'm looking forward to seeing what people actually think about this. My guess, Emma is that Marathon probably makes a very good first impression. It's probably fun to shoot in that game because it's Bungee and They're very good at that, and I think that's going to go a long way toward getting people to to try this game Extraction shooter, though, do you think like the bungee appeal is going to be enough to maybe get over the hump of like how that might be scary to some people.
Speaker 3: I just sort of feel like, don't we have enough of these games where a bunch of people get in a game and shoot at each other?
Speaker 1: Yeah, I mean, Bungeie is not going to make anything else, But they also.
Speaker 3: It, Look, I am not the right person to weigh in on this.
Speaker 2: This is not my kind of game. It just isn't you know. I'm a real single issue gamer.
Speaker 3: As we've established with a Giant bombchat, we no longer use the term casual.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 3: I mean, look, I think this will make a great first impression. I think this is a game that a lot of people will jump into and play at the jump.
Speaker 2: Whether it can sustain or not remains to be seen.
Speaker 1: Yep. Yeah, I think I think it'll be fun to play, and I will be checking it out at that point, But I'm very curious to see what everyone who got hands on with it ends up thinking. All Right, here, bloodborns switch to Spiritual Successor could come to PS five yet at some point. Basically it's from Sammy Barker at Push Square. From Software owns the Dusk Blood's intellectual property, opening up the possibility of four a PS five port in the future. While it's been confirmed that Nintendo has some kind of investment into the online based Bloodborn Spiritual Successor, the Elder Ring developer submitted a trademark for the name in Japan recently. The official website also notes it owns the copyright. In fact, while the game was will be published by Nintendo under license in North America and Europe, From Software will be self publishing in Japan. So it sounds like one of those ones where it's like, you know, a very close partner game technically a first party release because Nintendo is publishing it, but it's not even first party in all territories. And we've seen games like of this kind find its way to other platforms after a couple of years, you know, in some cases it's as quick as a year. But in these like very close hey, Nintendo's helping you publish, or Sony's helping you publish. A lot of times takes even longer than that. So this is one feels like, Hey, in the a PlayStation state of play three years from now, they announced, Oh, by the way, the Dusk Bloods is coming to PlayStation five next month or something like that. This sounds like that scenario to me. Do you think that's right?
Speaker 2: I do think so, yeah.
Speaker 3: I mean it would be weird if this was only on Switch because you're from software.
Speaker 2: Audience is not on Switch, you know what I mean, Like they're.
Speaker 3: PC gamers, their PlayStation, their Xbox, like they are not Switch players.
Speaker 2: So yeah, I mean I think.
Speaker 3: That absolutely this will come to other consoles, namely a PlayStation would be a great place for it. What's really interesting to me is like I'm not hugely a from software person, but this looks like this looks to me like a Dark Souls Castlevania.
Speaker 2: And so I'm all the way and I'm so hype for this game.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I'm very like hearing meazach you talk about it recently and him kind of getting chaos about like you know, it's still going to be mostly one of their games, and then there will be some some player versus player elements to mix up all of that kind of gameplay. I'm like, okay, yeah, sounds good to me. I want to check it out. It's maybe not like Elean Ring is kind of my ideal game in a lot of ways, and it's not that, but I still have Elean Ring. I'll be fine. You're gonna try something different. I'll be there to check it out. So yeah, And people are in chatter pointing out that as the story calls it a spiritual successor to Bloodborn too, Yeah, I mean or too Bloodborne. Yeah, clearly it's it's going to have some changes to it. But you look at it and it's called the Dust Bloods. We know what they're going for here, and it's very likely maybe this is the direction they would have taken Bloodborne to in anyhow, So maybe that's why Sony didn't want it. Who knows or while why I really have no idea why they fell out, but I'm curious about this one. Really want to see it, like, yeah, show me the loop, show me the loop, Like I just want to see, like what a player does from moment to moment. Is it mo like a Soulsborn game and then it's just briefly interrupted by PvP stuff? Because to me, that that could really work. All right. I think that's gonna do it for the headlines. Let's get to the poll question. I have that over here, although it might take me a second to get it loaded. There we go, all right. We had a couple that we needed to catch up on. I think the first one that we needed to do was grade the switch to direct. Thirty percent gave it an A, forty four percent gave it a B, seventeen percent gave it a C, and eight eight percent gave it a D or lower. I think, yeah, I think now we hit did that one. We also had a new or one though. Are you going to get a switch to yes or no? God? That question is a little bit more complicated answer now, isn't it. I'm gonna say yes because I know I'm gonna get one. Fifty five percent say yes, forty five percent say no. I gotta say that's that is probably not a number that makes Nintendo feel too good in this moment, and the high price clearly contributed into that. Also, you know a lot of people responding or just not interested in Nintendo games. But I think the uncertainty of a potential price increase is also hurting the response for yes on this, are you like, where are you at personally? Am? Are you like day one? You're going to try to pre order kind of no matter the price? Are you waiting to see? Okay, so are you waiting? Yes?
Speaker 3: Eventually, I'm when do I need to get one for work so I can charge it to the company card?
Speaker 2: There you help instead of spending my own money on it.
Speaker 3: No, I mean, you know obviously, like I'm in a tremendously fortunate situation wherein there is a chance that I will just have to buy one, but fandom will be footing the bill.
Speaker 2: But yeah, I mean I wouldn't.
Speaker 3: I'm not gonna go get one immediately with my own dollars.
Speaker 2: I just have to kind of wait and see, you know.
Speaker 1: Yep. I see Jan replying to comments wishing people it's early birthday and this is good stuff. That's the way to just keep your mind off things. Yeah, that's good stuff. I all right, new pole question. I got it right here. Let's get to it. Are you interested in Blueprints after seeing its reviews? Yes?
Speaker 3: Or no?
Speaker 1: I am gonna be curious about this one. Definitely, look and see. Take a look at the game yourself, everybody. I think I'll try to stream it at some point here on the site. I don't know if you know, Dan could stream it today, but oh no, he I think he's gonna do Merror's Edge. So I think I'll try to do it on Wednesday for grubs gimmicks. And I think my plan is I'm just gonna show like one of my current runs, yeah, because I could avoid anything that would be spoilery, yeah, and then anything that you would like encounter on your first run. The way I'm doing it at this point is gonna be like, you know, a lost language is not gonna make any sense. And then like the drafting strategies, the thing that we can really talk about, that's something that could be we could shine some light on that, and that also would not would not would not be like some shocking spoiler to understanding the way the game works. That's the thing about this game is it's going to be hard to spoil because even when someone mentions something's in the game, it is going to be difficult to Uh, it's going to be difficult to like really figure out like how it works until you do it yourself. Oh can't we can't stream of the streaming bargo on Blueprints is Thursday. Okay, well, ship and maybe we'll do it on Thursday. We'll see all right. Cool, good to know. Uh am a Fife. Where can people find you on the internet and all that good stuff?
Speaker 3: Well, on the internet, I'm on Blue Sky and I'm on Instagram kinda, but mostly you can find me at the Costco stalking on all the things that are going to go way up in price.
Speaker 1: Yeah, hell yeah, let's go are all right? So let's see here, let's wrap this up. What else do we have going on on the website. It's gb Kid's Day. I believe Sean and Nick you are getting together to run some fun stuff here very soon. As soon as the show's done here. Dan will be back later with Merr's Edge. I think Mike's making him play that because Dan doesn't like it and Mike doesn't get it. So I think Mike might sit in on that and watch him play some Mear's Edge and try to force Dan to love it. That's always going to be a good time. Then tomorrow's the BombCast. Wednesday, we will not have blueprints, but instead we will have things like the return of Overblood Light Club continues the most recent season. I would love to just finish that game. But I don't think that's gonna happen. But yeah, another episode of light Club should also have you know, our friends over at GameSpot contributing to the power Block pretty frequently all throughout this week. Looking forward to that. In the meantime, though, Emma Fie, thank you so much for hanging out with me today and talk about video games. I really appreciate it.
Speaker 2: You got it. Stay tuned for more Tariff.
Speaker 1: Talk Woo every episode from now on. Everybody, it's unavoidable, all right, Thank you for but listening, Thank you for watching. You're the best audience in gaming. Until next time, have a good one, take care of yourself, and goodbye.