Speaker 1: Welcome to Wine Soundtrack USA. Listen to the passion with which producers narrate their winery and their world. Team thirty answers discover their stories, personalities, and passions.
Speaker 2: Hello, friends and listeners of Wine Soundtrack. This is alson Levine and today I'm at jmc sellers in the Livermore Valley with winemaker and owner Jessica Carroll. Jessica, welcome to Wine Soundtrack and tell us about jmc sellers.
Speaker 3: Hi, thanks for having me. Jmc sellers is currently the newest winery in Livermore Valley. I'm really excited. We opened our doors in November.
Speaker 2: November of twenty twenty three. Rex.
Speaker 3: Woweah, yeah exactly. I have been around in the valley for about a decade, though last year the winery I worked for closed sadly, and out of that came an opportunity that I just couldn't turn down.
Speaker 2: And here we are.
Speaker 3: Here, we are living a dream come true for me, which is just very surreal all the time.
Speaker 2: Oh wow. So, I mean we're in your winery or we're in a tasting room, beautiful, a beautiful white space, blue. It's really welcoming. Welcoming. What do you welcome you with what do you make here? We make a.
Speaker 3: Lot of different things. I am definitely a wine nerd and a wine geek, and I have a wide range of wins that I love to drink and that I love to make, and so we do everything from whites to light reds to dark reds. I mostly from Livermore Valley fruit, but there are a few things that I really really like that I get from outside the region. I'm from Salinas originally, and so I like to have a little bit of my hometown Monterey County, So I go down and get some pinot and reasling from there. My parents love it because they're guaranteed to see me three times a harvest, which.
Speaker 2: Is where because nobody sees anyone during harvest.
Speaker 3: No, it's mostly really late at night, and I leave really early, but they say they're okay with that, so as long as they get to you know, put eyeballs on me. Their happy campers. And then there's some lesser known varieties that I get from a grow up in Lodi, like Toldego Pellerson and a few other things that just I can't find in Livermore Valley, and I really like making them.
Speaker 2: Well, let's be fair, you can't find those in a lot of places in California.
Speaker 3: That is true. That is true. So with those ones that are really rare, you have.
Speaker 2: To go to them, right And then here in Livermore, are you doing the traditional grapes like Cabernet Samannion and Cabernet franc or what else?
Speaker 3: Yeah, there's a long list, capsav and cap franc, Malbec, Murlow, a couple of different Sarrahs. I'm a huge Sarah fan. That's one of my northern rhn is one of my favorite regions on the planet, and I just I love that grape. And then Petite Sarah, hopefully a Sanja Vaci. I've done, Nebiolo, Peanot, greed Punay. We're adding Roussan from Livermore this year, which I'm really excited about.
Speaker 2: So you're doing you're purchasing all your fruit or do you have any vineyards that you manage?
Speaker 3: Correct? No, I purchased all the fruit. Land is a little bit pricey, and so as a new business, we're going with the leasing model for now, but it is the ultimate goal is to own property at some point.
Speaker 2: And what is your total case production?
Speaker 3: Last year it was just under a one thousand. This year we're aiming for between fifteen hundred and two thousand.
Speaker 2: That's pretty good for a brand new liinery. So now you said you started November twenty twenty three, but your first harvest under your own label was in twenty twenty three. Okay, correct, So yeah, you just announced jmc sellers after you harvested.
Speaker 3: Well it see, we took over the lease of this property in July, but we did a couple of things like painting and you know, clearing it out and rearranging the furniture and and then you know, I'm the crazy person who did all of that while harvest was going on. So I don't know what nut job decided on that schedule.
Speaker 2: Well here we are, so you know, congratulations. And are you one hundred percent direct to consumer or yes?
Speaker 3: Right now, we're one hundred percent direct to consumer. We do have a couple small account wholesale accounts, but mostly local places in town.
Speaker 2: Okay, So tell me what is your memory your first memory relevant to wine?
Speaker 3: Oh my gosh, that is an excellent question.
Speaker 2: How old were you the first time you kind of even knew anything about wine?
Speaker 3: You know, teenager? But I actually really didn't like it. Let's see, after I graduated from college, I moved back to California and moved to Pleasanton, which is right next door to Livermore, and discovered that I was living fifteen minutes from wine, a wine country, and that was great.
Speaker 2: And you hadn't really realized that growing up in Salinas well.
Speaker 3: Selena's has some wine, but it's it was pretty pretty spread out, it's not. It's very different now. Carmel Valley, the village has a ton of tasting rooms, Carmel by the Sea as a ton, river Road has more more than it used to. It wasn't at least I didn't pay attention to what it was like growing up because it wasn't. I mean, I wasn't allowed to do that, right, you know, I was under twenty one, and once I partably my mid twenties is when I really started getting into it because I had such easy access and it was fun, and you know, I love pairing wine with food, and that became more of a thing and kind of a hobby to try to figure out, you know, what goes with what, and which I've really dived into now that I once I switched my careers and.
Speaker 2: So once you started getting to know wine, and I know you were just saying that it's about it was about playing with food and wine. But was there an aha moment for you a wine that you had that was just kind of eye opening? What here's filing? So what was the occasion and what was the aha moment?
Speaker 3: There are that's actually a very long list, but some of the three that really hooked me. And this is a champagne taste on a beer budget situation, uh coat rote which I love and do a co fermentation of sura and Bionier because I just really enjoy that combination. Burrella and barbar esco so nebuolo, and then you know, champagne. So between those three the trifecta for me, it was those were three that really every time I tried it for the first one of those for the first time, it just hooked me deeper and deeper and deeper.
Speaker 2: So no particular occasion, just a general sort of attraction to these.
Speaker 3: There was one. This is after I was well into wine though. I did a huge thirtieth birthday trip with my mom and the whole way we were tasting everywhere. I picked our locations by wine region, which should shock no one. And we were in Piedmont and everywhere we went, well through France and then into Italy, and everywhere we tasted that I knew was old enough. I was asking about my birth year, you know, nineteen eighty five, So do you have a nineteen eighty five? I went with like a huge budget for one bottle of my birth year, just to do have it. Yeah, And everywhere we were all that was a really good vintage. No, we don't have any, And it became a joke. My mom and I joked about it. And so by the time we got to Italy, we were on a wine tour with a married couple and we're kind of joked about it, and they ended up directing us to a wine shop that had one. And so I brought the nineteen eighty five barber Esco back and I drank it with a friend who's also the same birth year as me.
Speaker 2: To remember the producer.
Speaker 3: Oh god, the one with the soldier starts with an R and not to ron, thank you, thank you. My brain is not functioning today. Yes, And it was absolutely delightfully wonderful, like it was so good.
Speaker 2: It aged as well as you did. I did.
Speaker 3: I haven't tried it, RecA. It's been another, you know, not quite decades, so I haven't tried it recently. I don't know if it's as good anymore. But nine years ago it was great.
Speaker 2: I love that.
Speaker 4: I love that.
Speaker 2: So if we were to come to your home now, what would we find in? What do you collect at home? What do you what are you a mass? Is it a lot of your own wine? Well, you've only been making wine for two years under your own label. Is it a lot of local wines? Or do you collect a lot of wines from around the world, in particular grapes.
Speaker 3: There's some of my own wine, but I am absolutely terrified of getting a house palate, to be honest, So I drink of mostly other people's wine at my house, not exclusively, but but pretty heavily. I have everything from local around the area. I don't get out that much, but when I do, I try to get stuff because then I have supply, and then I also have I love Piedmonts. I've got a ton of that bunch of French stuff. I love sparkling wine from all over the world. So whenever I find something that's fun or from a country I've never tried. You know, I'm grabbing a bottle when I can, uh from The wine runs the gambit from everything from like a peanut grease or you know, uh, pin blocks, to heavier whites, to light reds to dark reds to dessert wines. Like I really everyone, they're always which one's your which one's your favorite? I'm like, well, today, in this moment, this is what I want.
Speaker 2: Is there anything that you opened up recently that drank really well?
Speaker 3: We have a reserve reasling that's coming out at the end of next month. That's a bone dry reasling Santa Lucia Highlands fruit. And I am very in love with this wine that I've made, and I can't believe I've made it. Sometimes this is this is really Usually I'm very critical, you know, you're you're your worst critic, right, and but I very much enjoy that's for whatever reason, that wine, I'm able to disconnect myself from my own product a little bit to to.
Speaker 2: Be able to sit with it brings you joy.
Speaker 3: It brings me a lot of drink. They all do, but some of them, I you know, you remember how much work you put into it.
Speaker 2: Sometimes and you know so, And I love how you know a recent wine that you drink isn't another wine, it's one of your own that stands out and that No, I want to try the reasoning.
Speaker 3: If we've got one scrolled away back there.
Speaker 2: Yeah, So I'm curious. Do you think that there's a such thing as a perfect variety as someone who's drinking all these different wines and now, you know, working with different varieties. Do you think there's a such thing as perfection with any of them?
Speaker 3: I don't think so, to be honest, because everyone may differ with that, because but with my own palate, because I like different things at different moments. In this moment, there might be something that's perfect for me, but next day, when it's thirty degrees cooler, I'm gonna want something else, or or I have a different meal in front of me, or I'm in a different mood, or you know it really, as I said, people ask me what my favorite, I was like, I don't have a favorite, and they're like, that's a cop out answer. I'm like, no, it's really like it changes constantly.
Speaker 2: You guys, Well, if somebody's never had your wines, I've never had JMC cellar wines. What do you think they're missing out on?
Speaker 3: Awesomeness?
Speaker 2: I'm just kidding.
Speaker 3: I being able to try maybe something you've never had before. I again, I'm a wine nerd and a wine geek.
Speaker 2: And I.
Speaker 3: Love this industry and I love that I get to do my life's passion and I think it's reflected in my product and hopefully other people think that as well.
Speaker 2: That's awesomeness. That's what it is. Awesomeness. So I know you don't like to pick a favorite child, but if space aliens were to land on your property, come up to the door and knock on it, and you wanted to welcome them with one wine that said, this is gmc sellers, which of your wines would you welcome them with?
Speaker 3: Actually, probably the Floor Savage in this moment today, that is my favorite, so we're going to go with that. It is a co fermentation of mostly Surrah with three percent boner. Okay, So co fermentation, for those of you who don't know, is the process of blending the fruit together before fermentation, so it's together from the get go. To do an analogy for it, traditional blending is a lot like digital photography. You've done everything separately. You pull samples, you do blending trials. If you're not happy with the product, you can change it in real time and try again, or start over and try again, and keep going till you get a product you want and that you think is perfect. Co fermentation is a little bit more like film, where you have an idea of how you're framing it up, but you don't know for sure until it's fully developed.
Speaker 2: I do love the film and photo analogies, which there is a tie into that, which I want to bring up in a second. But before I do that, I do want to ask you red white or rose white still are sparkling?
Speaker 3: Sparkling?
Speaker 2: I do want to get to the art part. But you've talked a lot about food and wine pairing, and I'm curious how you approach that. Do you follow strict rules such as white wine and fish, red wine and meat, or do you have other guidelines that you could recommend.
Speaker 3: I do not follow the strict guidelines at all. There's different levels of wine pairing too, depending on what you're trying to do. So if you're just trying to you want this is the wine you want to drink, and that's the food you want absolutely fine, doesn't matter. The other end of the spectrum and there's a couple in between is like the synergistic pairing, right, And there's like a dozen rules that came out of the Food and Wine textbook that I learned from, and there are rules of thumbs, but there's always exceptions, so it's kind of you really have to play around with it. And it's taken me many, many years of just doing it very casually to get to the point where I can get pretty close without without really needing all of it ahead of time to try it. However, Yeah, I mean it's sometimes that doesn't work either.
Speaker 2: But we did.
Speaker 3: We do a series called geek Out with GMC and it's once a month guided tasting that we do between February and August every year, and last month was actually the Food and Wine Pairing class. So when my seller Master Shannon and I got together because we did because we did want to get a synergistic parent to present, and we kind of made a dinner off the cuff and we had the wines open, and it did not go with the wine we thought it would at all. The wine we thought it would go with actually did not go together. In any way, shape or form. It made both of it just not like I don't want to eat or drink this, but just kind of like not as good.
Speaker 2: Neither shown.
Speaker 3: Neither shown what went with it? And it was a steak like flank steak with snap peas and udon noodles and and kind of olive oil with a little bit of red pepper flakes kind of a thing.
Speaker 2: And what did you think it would pair with one of.
Speaker 3: The reds, kind of a lighter red. We had one called peller Sen that we thought it would go with and it did not. It actually went with a peanut.
Speaker 2: Green and I'm gonna guess that's because of the red chili flakes and the.
Speaker 3: And the snap peas. We thought the Pellersin would have enough acid to kind of and then enough tannin to go with the beef, but really the dish ended up being way more on the side where it needed like a crisp white wine with beef.
Speaker 2: So yeah, and there you go, because sometimes you need the acid to balance the dish and sometimes you need the roundness of the wine to balance the dish. So it's all about harmony, right exactly, synergy harmony. It is a fun.
Speaker 3: It's a fun hobby for anyone who wants to do it, to be honest and just trying.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it required to get to eat and drink a lot. What's not to like about that. So I'm curious. You're a small brand, You're not like a lot of other wineries that have a lot of awards hanging on the walls. Yet maybe maybe not. I'm curious what your take is on wine critics and scores, like, is it something that you think will help build your brand? Is it something that you're not interested at all? Where do you find that it has a place, especially with a young brand starting out that hasn't quite maybe utilized it yet.
Speaker 3: I'm kind of following in between. So it is something we did. We did enter into the chronicle. We realized you have to pay for the plaque now, which we forgot about, so we are ordering that. But we entered five wines and they all meddled, which was kind of I I enter. I've been entering stuff in the Chronicle every year. It's local, like it's you know, it's a good one and I love my wine. But I was I was just very very flattered that they get so many thousands of entries like that. It was just as really excited. It also helped that they had to at least new to me. I hadn't entered them before. But Toroaldego and Montepucian had their own categories, which was really cool. And then not this pinot, but there is a pino noir, and then there was a white wine blend and mine forgetting one grenache because that was the other one.
Speaker 2: And and of course that makes you feel good and it says something to you. I mean, it makes you feel it gives you a pet on the back. But I mean, where do you think wine critics kind of fall into that? Is that something that you're going to be seeking out. Is it going to determine how you make wine or don't make wine? Or does it not play a part in how you're working.
Speaker 3: It probably won't affect how I make wine. However, it's funny you're bringing this epsis this week was talking about figure you know, I've never submitted wine to get points like rated before, and so figuring out that process and who we want to send to and and doing that to have a have things scored, because it is I mean for a small place. The reality is that is one avenue to get your name and brand out there. So I think that that's part of the marketing side of wine making, is that for someone who's not well known, it is a way to get recognition so that you get your name out there.
Speaker 2: So getting away from all the marketing stuff that you have to do, let's get back to the ground. Like you're buying fruit from a number of vineyards, do you spend a lot of time in the vineyard.
Speaker 3: We were in the minyard this morning, a couple of them this morning, actually as much as I can, especially obviously during as we get closer to harvest, and it's looking like the ones we looked at today were just starting variasion, which means.
Speaker 2: A clock starts gets started. So are there any signs or predictors that you look for that's going to tell you what kind of a harvest you're going to get?
Speaker 3: Mother nature is probably the biggest predictor. It's I think it's gonna be a really hot summer, which we've all been saying for a couple months. I think, And I my guess, you know, it's all.
Speaker 2: You just never know what she's gonna throw it.
Speaker 3: But my guess is it's gonna be a slightly earlier harvest than normal and uh, probably fast and furious. But again, it all depends on the next couple months and what mother nature decides to throw away.
Speaker 2: So the signs and predictors you have right now is the heat and everything that says early. But again that nothing she could change, things change, She's fickle. In the time that you have been working in this area, and you grew up generally in this area, so you're you're this is a this is a part of California. You know pretty well. We know every vintage tells a different story. Have you noticed in your experience and just spending time in this area. Is there a lot of variation from vintage to vintage, extreme variation or is it really more you can really see a through line that it's pretty consistent.
Speaker 3: I would say it's more consistent than not. You're always going to have those years that are a little very different from the previous ones. But I'd say in the US in general, those are a little more rare for us because we get to irrigate and we get to do a lot of vineyard management techniques that other regions who drive farm are not.
Speaker 2: Allowed to do.
Speaker 3: So I feel like the mother nature can have a worse impact if it's bad on those regions than in the US.
Speaker 2: And have you established any sort of good luck rituals to start harvest? I mean you are a new winery, so any good luck or are you going.
Speaker 3: To ask us that's a really good idea. I'm gonna have to think of something.
Speaker 2: I know nothing in your first harvo.
Speaker 3: Some silly dance. I don't know. Well, I was going insane last year again some nut job decided that not opening a tasting room, getting a tasting room ready during harvest was a great idea.
Speaker 2: And twenty twenty three was your first vintage under your own label under JAMC.
Speaker 3: But I've been co wine making with my previous employer for almost a decade, so when they closed and we were opening, I was in the unique position to actually buy my own wine. So the stuff that's being bottled, what's in front of you. I technically bought a bulk, but I can also tell you all the details of all of those grapes because I have been with them from the moment they touched this property.
Speaker 2: You didn't actually by bulg I mean you bought finished wine, but you had made the wine.
Speaker 3: Just it wasn't it wasn't legally mine, but now it is right and.
Speaker 2: So that's how you're able to pour twenty twenty one, twenty twenty two, twenty twenty Yes, because you made it. But ahh, yeah, it's very tricky. She's a new winery yet she has old vintages. Isn't that crazy?
Speaker 3: Well, no, And that was part of the opportunity that was in front of me. You know, you start from the ground floor and you're you're talking two to three years before you're going to see the reds in the tasting room. Right for me, it could be immediately technically again legally not jmc's but mine. Nonetheless, So it was a very unique position to be in, and it was one that I that I flattered and flabbergasted and amazed and delighted by the fact that I get to do this.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's almost like you're starting on the third floor instead of the ground floor.
Speaker 3: Yep. Yes, in that, Yes, there are other things where I feel like I'm I'm very much on the ground.
Speaker 2: Floor for but it helps to have that, you know, a little bit of lyft in the vineyards. Are you buying from certain blocks, do you have a consistency with that. Is that something new or is this part of your older connection with these vineyards?
Speaker 3: A lot of the older connections actually, So I was able to come to them and say, hey, I would like to still continue to get fruit from you, and everyone was really excited.
Speaker 2: So you know these blocks, you've been working them with them for a while. Do they know you? Do you talk to them? Do you have a relationship with your vines? Yes.
Speaker 3: I don't think I'd talk out loud all the time, at least I hope not. I'll have to ask Shannon. She's never said anything, and I feel like she would.
Speaker 2: What about when you're in the cellar? Do you talk to your wine, coax it along, encourage it, reprimand it.
Speaker 3: Of course, especially reprimand if it's being difficult. Yes, no, it is there. I don't have any human children, but I do have barrels. And those are your babies.
Speaker 2: They are my babies. And you never pick favorites.
Speaker 3: Not to their face.
Speaker 2: So you were saying that you've been making way for about ten years. But I know you mentioned a little bit about photography. You made a nice analogy there, So I'm curious when you were little what did you want to be when you grew up?
Speaker 3: I went through the gambit when I was really little. One of my earliest memories was wanting me a veterinarian actually, which the thought I fainted at the sight of blood, so that really didn't, you know, pan out for me. Then I went into God, what did I go into? After that? I end up architecture for a little while, and then after talking to some people in high school, I excelled much more in math and science than in art. So this suggestion was made to go into engineering.
Speaker 2: And that's what you pursued. Correct, And so you are a civil engineer by training?
Speaker 3: Correct?
Speaker 2: Yes.
Speaker 3: I went to University of Portland and graduated and worked at a transportation engineering firm in Pleasanton. I got licensed, and I knew very early on that I was not the career path for me. But I'm also I am an engineer, so I'm very pragmatic. So I wasn't about to quit a job that was paying me really well just because I didn't like it. You know, there was nothing wrong, you.
Speaker 2: Know, So what was the push out of the nest?
Speaker 3: I stumbled into wine kind of accidentally. She's one of my best friends now. But she was working behind the bar at my previous employer, and she's about my age, and it looked like fun. I know a lot of wineries around here still it's kind of a thing people do on the weekends as a social activity, just to have, like it's a part time job, but you know, a couple ships a month, and.
Speaker 2: It looked like fun.
Speaker 3: In the complete opposite of my job. Right at work, I would sit and stare at a computer for nine hours a day and not talk to anyone really, and this this was chit chatting and talking and it was just, you know, I like wine and human.
Speaker 2: It was human.
Speaker 3: It was human interaction. And so I ended up giving them my email on the way out and worked my first shift and my second and tenth. And the more the more I was around wine, the more I wanted to learn about it because it's really interesting. And then I kind of got into well, how is wine made? And it's chemistry and biology with some hefty engineering thrown in there, because you know, you use machines. And as it turns out, my view on wine is wine is art meets science, and my brain is happiest when it has science and art. So in hindsight, this was work. It was kind of a no brainer industry for me because it because it does both and you.
Speaker 2: Ended up exactly where you're supposed to be.
Speaker 3: Yeah, exactly.
Speaker 2: So when you're not working, how do you spend your free time? Or I should say, I was like, how would you like to spend free time should you ever find it again?
Speaker 3: Oh, traveling? I love to travel. Gosh, I don't. So it's a funny thing of when you work in your passion, you're also working in your hobby. You get paint into your hobby professionally, so you.
Speaker 2: Don't really know what free time is because it all becomes part of your life.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it does. It's just it's it's a lifestyle that I've very much embraced and I would like to go see my family more. They're not. They're an hour and a half away. And and with this venture, it was very much everyone. It was on the same page of just isn't going to come home.
Speaker 2: Very often for a while, but they could come wine tasting on weekends. They do.
Speaker 3: Actually, a whole bunch of them are coming up for the geek out on Saturday, and.
Speaker 2: So they'll be up here and then I guess you also do your passion. You know it's work, but you could say it's your free time because you created all your labels. And your labels are beautiful, they're they're blue, and they've got prints of flowers. I don't know, maybe describe them a little bit and how they came to be.
Speaker 3: Oh sure. So all of my labels are based off cyanotypes that I have done. So a cyanotype is one of the original photographic prints that was discovered in the mid eighteen hundreds. And you mix two chemicals together, they become photosensitive and you put it on a product. I put it on watercolor paper and let it dry, and then you put on top whatever you're trying to capture the image of and then you put it out in the sun underglass to keep it pressed together, and then you rinse it and then that's it. And as it dries, it turns into this lovely like deep rich blue that is called Prussian blue. And it's kind of what the entire esthetic is based on in the tasting room and you know, in my clothes, and.
Speaker 2: It's the original, like an original photograph before we had photographs. It was an original way of doing a photograph and it's these imprints of wildflowers. Yeah.
Speaker 3: So essentially the concept behind the label is each variety will have a different botanical that is kind of assigned to it or is it designated, and so like the Pino gree is a daisy and the pino noir is actually oxalis. That is that weed that if you get it in your yard, you it is there Forever it is, it is never leaving. My dad has been battling the stuff in the backyard for almost forty years.
Speaker 2: But it makes a pretty label.
Speaker 3: Oh, it makes a beautiful label. I tricked him actually, like I could say it had bloomed, and I picked some and I made him. I was like, this is probably the prettiest one I've done yet. And I handed it to him. I was like, isn't this pretty?
Speaker 2: He's like, it's so beautiful? What is it?
Speaker 3: I was like, what sox sus? And he literally dropped it and he goes, what are you to do it to me? Daughter of mine? How could you hand me my nemesis? My dad's retired, he had he has fun making up fake nemesis and and uh no, it's it's probably one of my favorites that I've done. Actually, I really like that one. And Sarah is the lavender, and Bonier is hydrangea, and there's a white wine blend and a red wine blend that have poppies on them, which is really pretty.
Speaker 2: I like that one too, It's very cool. So when you look back, if you think about it, is there a piece I'll take that up. So when you look at your life to date, is there a piece of advice that someone gave you along the way? Maybe it was your dad with a nemesis or something else, but is there some Is there a piece of advice that somewhere along the way someone gave you that you try to live or work by.
Speaker 3: Yes, and I don't. I probably cannot remember how it stuck in my head at all. But one of the how I got here is really by asking myself questions at different points, important moments, and the question is will you regret not trying? So people tend to regret the things that they didn't do, not the things that they did as a general orlder again our exceptions, but for me switching from engineering to wine, it was very much will I will forty years from now, will I regret not having tried this? At this moment when the opportunity is here. The answer was yes, So I've switched to wine and I've never looked back. So when this came up to open gmc sellers, I asked myself the same question. It came down to it, will I regret not trying? And the answer was yes, I would regret not trying.
Speaker 2: So when you look back at your career to date so far, what would you say, is one of your proudest achievements.
Speaker 3: That outpouring of support that came from opening jmc sellers. Actually, I I am still very touched and floored by the amount of just absolute love and community that came out to help wherever they.
Speaker 2: Could possibly help.
Speaker 3: It was absolutely incredible, and I was very very stunned, not that no one's nice, but like it was just like it was to a point that you didn't expect it. I didn't expect it at all, and it was very very touched by it.
Speaker 2: And that says a lot about the community that you're in.
Speaker 3: Livermore is a very tight knit community. We are very supportive of each other, which is why maybe shouldn't have been shocked by it, because I would do the same thing and and try to help where I can. You know, if my forklift breaks down or someone else is like, I'll drive my forklift up, or they'll drive theirs down, and especially in the middle of harvest where you like really need a forklift. And but that's just kind of the the neighbors helping neighbors attitude that we have and and I really enjoy it.
Speaker 2: I was not.
Speaker 3: I was not ready to leave Livermore. And and when JMC came up again, that was another factor, was like, I'm not I'm not done.
Speaker 2: I don't think you'll be leaving here at any point soon. I think you're here for a while.
Speaker 3: Yes, I think for just you know, a few years, give or take.
Speaker 2: So complete the sentence. For me, a table without wine.
Speaker 3: Is like being naked either.
Speaker 2: Some people like that, that's a fair point.
Speaker 3: Table with that wine is like, yeah, I mean feeling naked, like not having your phone on you feels naked.
Speaker 2: I'm not supposed to come up with the with with answers. I mean, there are no right answers, so make it is totally fine. I'm not supposed to come up with answers. But it's funny because I'm like coming up with things that tie in with you. So I'm like, a photograph without a frame or a frame without a photograph.
Speaker 3: Can we change it?
Speaker 2: Yeah?
Speaker 3: One a frame without a photograph, that's what it is. Well done, Well done, thank you.
Speaker 2: I'm not supposed to help to get your wall. I know you're into art. I know you have these beautiful labels, so you know, there you go. Thank you. I drew completely, no worries, no worries. I'm here to help. That's you know, okay efforts. So I'm not going to help you on this one.
Speaker 3: This one you're go to do on your own. Okay.
Speaker 2: We're sitting at a table. There are chairs empty next to you. Your wines are on the table. Who from any walk of life, living or deceased, known or unknown, would you want to share a bottle of JAMC Sellers wines with?
Speaker 4: Glad?
Speaker 2: He's a hard.
Speaker 3: Oh my gosh.
Speaker 2: It could be someone you admire, someone you.
Speaker 3: Such a laundry list of people. You know. My great grandmother she went by Mimi, and she sounds like she was a spitfire. And I never got to meet her. If I could, I could bring her back to life. I think she'd enjoy this.
Speaker 2: I'd be proud. Yeah, so I'm curious.
Speaker 3: She ran a business for a while too, so I really like I have. I also have so many questions, so that would give me an opportunity to pick her brain.
Speaker 2: Wow, that would be great though, you know, like two women the family running businesses. Yes. Yeah, So if you were being sent off to a deserted island, what three wines would you take with you? And they could be any wines. They could be aspirational, even they could be memorable. Okay, well cot ROTI any any co rotin.
Speaker 3: Ah. My favorite producer is is Christoph Bune. I would definitely bring his stuff. Oh three wines.
Speaker 2: Easier when there's one, right, I know, Champagne to Champagne any particular or.
Speaker 3: I'm totally blanking on the producer name. My friend Shannon Semester and friend it but.
Speaker 2: A grower Champagne.
Speaker 3: Yes, she got it from this tiny little producer. She married a Frenchman and so they got married in France, and so this was their their wedding wine. And she brought back some a couple of years ago and I had her bring me back some bottles and uh I was so good, Oh my gosh, it was so good.
Speaker 2: So Champagne coat route, I feel.
Speaker 3: Like I need a white wine.
Speaker 2: Round it out when Champagne has some white in it, condreunri.
Speaker 3: That's the other.
Speaker 2: There's your white one.
Speaker 3: Yeah, there we go, go run fantastic.
Speaker 2: What we got all French? Yeah?
Speaker 3: Oh yes, maybe I should get that.
Speaker 2: Look at that. We can slide a fourth in there? Why not? I mean, it's not really a strict rule. So well, I want to talk about your wines just a little bit. Now. I know that art is your medium. You like to you like the art and the science of it, and your medium is photography. But let's talk about the medium of music, because music conjures up emotions in us, as does you know drinking wine. And I want you to pair your wines with music in the sense of what what kind of genre, song, artist, whatever you're comfortable with? Mate? Do you think of when you think of the wine? So I want to start with your peno.
Speaker 3: Gree come back to that one.
Speaker 2: Well, describe the peanut green.
Speaker 3: It is crisp and a little zippy and lemonye and lime, zesty and great chilled on a hot summer day.
Speaker 2: Actually, so what do you like to listen to on a hot summer day. It's crisp and zippy and chilled.
Speaker 3: Okay, go, Actually the band I have, they've I've been fans of theirs for let's not talk about how many years now, but I I love them. They have some real peppy, peppier songs that would would.
Speaker 4: Go with that.
Speaker 2: See you did it. We're just gonna have to break it down by describing the wine, and that's how you know it.
Speaker 3: I was like, I already have the one for Florida.
Speaker 2: Next, I want to do your toll to go subscribe the wine and take me through it, and I bet you'll come up with the song.
Speaker 3: So the wine personality of the wine, and this is not anything to do with the tasting notes, but Toroaldego is the aunt of Sarah, so I've always kind of done and it's from Italy, so kind of that, like I am a crazy aunt, so I feel a lot of kinship with like the crazy ant kind of thing. So maybe oh, Megan, Megan Trainer, Okay, let's do that one.
Speaker 2: Okay, Megan Trainer. And then you're hmm, Ale Conde Bouchet, come on, like you do some fun grapes. We gotta find some fun wine gosh. So this particular vintage.
Speaker 3: Though, is a little on the lighter side. It looks dark, but it came in with really low brick and higher acid.
Speaker 2: So that's why it's at the top.
Speaker 3: Of the list. Actually, and every time we report it them like it looks like it should be for they're down, but trust me, it's not so. And that's another one. It's light enough and low enough alcohol and enough acid that I would even throw that in the fridge for like half hour, forty five minutes. So another hot like good on a summer's day, chill a bowl. Oh, I listen to music all the time. You think that this would be easier for me, I'm gonna I'm gonna phone a phone a friend, and by that I mean bring up Spotify.
Speaker 2: Cheating, cheating, cheating, cheating thing. I know it's cheating. I'm sorry.
Speaker 4: Oh God, eliant bouchet, I know, Oh.
Speaker 3: God, country for that. Okay, I think that like peppy country, peppi country pop.
Speaker 2: There you go, Okay, I'm gonna make it easy for you because you already have an answer for this. The flour Savage, which is your Surrah cofermento with Vignier.
Speaker 3: Yeah, pink Martini.
Speaker 2: Okay, and why is that.
Speaker 3: It just kind of has this, uh, that kind of standard jazzy kind of vibe to it, where it's it's maybe a song you're familiar with the lyrics, but you've never heard it arranged like they did it, you know, a little a little different.
Speaker 2: Yeah, like your floor savage fantastic. Well, Justicus, you've almost made it. There's one more question. I know you said that if you had free time, you'd want to travel, and if there's one place at the top of your bucket list, one place on the top, because I know you said you want to travel everywhere. What's at the top of your bucket list? Wine region wise?
Speaker 3: Wine region wise?
Speaker 2: I mean I shouldn't have to say that, because you only travel where there's wine.
Speaker 3: Not only but but but mostly Oh gosh, you know, there's a couple of places I'd really love to do Eastern Europe more. I've heard some of the wines coming out of there, especially the whites, are just phenomenal, and that is not something I have that much education in or knowledge of, And so that would be really fun to go and just get to experience, especially hungry and get to do that. I've been to Budapest once many years ago, pre wine, pre wine, very pre wine, and so getting to go back and see it again quite twenty years later would be fun. Croatia's been on my life for quite some time. Actually, I know they have some wine as well, but mostly the beaches there. I see photos and that's where I would like to be.
Speaker 2: They have great wine there.
Speaker 3: Oh that's awesome, good, great, the English countryside. I want to go try all their sparklings because some of the ones I've had are really good, and I know exporting isn't always the easiest thing to get into the US with, so there's a lot of places I want to go to to be able to taste the thing that I need to taste. The other one is South America. I haven't done any of those, definitely more on the wine region side.
Speaker 2: I love how I ask you about like no, no, I love how I ask you about the songs and you have to pull up your Spotify and yet I ask you one place.
Speaker 3: And I spent a lot of time planning trips I don't go on. I am going next year though. I have some friends who are currently stationed, so I'm going to go visit them in Morocco, and there is a wine region in Morocco as well, which I'm really excited to experience. And then since I'm there, I'm stop Frances So.
Speaker 2: There you go. So you have a big you have, You have a lot of things on your travel agenda. And for our listeners, should they want to come and find you and experience gmc sellers, where can they find you and what can they experience when they get here.
Speaker 3: You can find us at sixty eight hundred Greenville Road in Livermore, California. Our website is jmcsellers dot Wine and we're open Friday through Sunday eleven to five pm. Please come out. No reservations needed unless you're a really large group, meaning like over six, come on in. We make it a point to have exceptional hospitality and make it a really fun experience. Whether you want to sit and talk to each other or you want to sit and talk to us, it is one hundred percent up to you and how you would like to do that. We were happy to talk and nerd and geek out with you, but I also understand that if you're here and you want to you know, talk to your friends and just want us to pour we're good with that too, and.
Speaker 2: We can find you here in the tasting room on weekends.
Speaker 3: Huh occasionally. Yes, I'm trying to be better about you know, that work life balance.
Speaker 4: And how's that going?
Speaker 3: Super awesome?
Speaker 2: Well, I mean, I'm glad you're finding some free time, but you're gonna have to learn how to fill it. So it's true, I am.
Speaker 3: I'm gonna have to get some new hobbies.
Speaker 2: I know. Wow, Jessica, it's been a real joy chatting with you today and learning about jmc sellers. And here's to an illustrious future. And I'm really excited for all the grapes that you're doing. I think that's really exciting. So I think that it's time it's hot out some chilled Alex Conte Bouchet. I can't believe I've ever put those two words together. You're gonna love it too, well, fantastic. Well, I hope others will come and enjoy it too. But thank you so much for joining us on Wine Soundtrack.
Speaker 3: Thank you for having me alis and this has been great.
Speaker 1: Thanks for listening to a new episode of Wine Soundtrack USA. For details and updates, visit our website windsoundtrack dot com.