Speaker 1: Welcome to Guardians Weekly on the Cleveland Guardians Radio Network. Guardians Weekly is brought to you by Progressive helping Guardians fans save hundreds on car insurance.
Speaker 2: Hi, everyone, welcome to Guardian's Weekly. Jim Rosen House along with you north of the border this weekend. We're in Toronto at the Rogers Center where the Guardians are taking on the Blue Jays this weekend. They have a game on Saturday afternoon at three to seven, another one on Sunday at one thirty seven, and then it's on to Washington, d C. For a three game series to conclude the road trip against the Nationals. Good show lined up for you today, as we will hear a little bit later on from former Cleveland Indian and two times Cy Young Award winner Corey Klueber. We'll also visit with Hall of Famer Paul Monitor and be joined by catcher Bo Naylor and relieve pitcher Kolby Allard, all of them coming your way shortly, along with Kyle man Zardo, who continues to be off to a great start and this is his first full major league season. But first, our look back at the week that was. The weekend review begins on Monday, back home with the opener of a four game series against the Twins. Less said about this one the better eleven to one. The Twins won it on just an ugly night for the Guardians, but they would bounce back and play great baseball the rest of the series against the Twins, and it was a four gamer that continued on Tuesday night. The Guardians, after a three hour weather delay, finally got things going. The game was scoreless in the bottom half of the third with bow Naylor leading things off.
Speaker 3: Panic is ready here it comes, swung out a.
Speaker 1: Drill to deep bright forget about it, oh one and a bow Naylor hit two home runs foul and then hammered one fair deep into the lower deck.
Speaker 2: Getting right and it's one nothing Cleveland and the third. Minnesota tied the game at one with a solo home run from Ty France in the fifth inning, but that would be all tanner Biby allowed as he was terrific once again. So tanner bibe is last time out handcuffed New York in six innings, gave up two runs into the sixth inning. Tonight, he's allowed one run eighty four pitches made. He fires and the pitch drill the third cut by Ramirez. So at eighty five pitches through six innings, Tanner Biby will come out for the seventh and manned at Cleveland need this kind of not only length, but a really good start from Tanner Biby. In the seventh, the Guardian's defense was on full display. Biby, He's ready, here it comes, and it swung on drill to left. This a base hit near the line over to cut it off as Kwan France's thinking too, puts the brakes on.
Speaker 3: Throw back to first slide, take it up.
Speaker 1: What a play again by Gabriel Larius.
Speaker 2: Still a one to one game in the eighth inning, with Kate Smith first up out of the Guardian's bullpen and now Korea and the hitters counted two to zero in Correa nine hits in his last eighteen advance. The two to zero pitch swung on him high in the air to right. That's not going anywhere.
Speaker 1: John Kinzie. Noel jogs in cage. Smith gets it done again. Middle of the eighth Cleveland Minnesota still in a one to one game, and that's set the stage for the bottom half of the ninth inning. Games still tied at one and Cole Manzardo leading things off Farland into the motion. Here it comes and it swung and hit a ton.
Speaker 3: Deep bright field, bugging.
Speaker 1: A walk off solo blast all right Berkyle man Soto and the Guardians walk off the Minnesota Twins.
Speaker 3: Two to one.
Speaker 2: Man once again, we'll hear from Manzarto in our next segment about that big walk off home run against the Twins. On to Wednesday, a four to two victory for the Guardians. Luis Ortiz he got the start in this one, and he followed the lead of Tanner Bibby the previous night.
Speaker 3: Scoreless.
Speaker 1: In the sixth, runner at third, two down, payoff pitch to the Twins short stop bullseye strike three call, took a ninety five mile an hour sinker five strikeouts four or tis still scoreless off the lake front.
Speaker 2: But the Twins had their ace Pablo Lopez going and he matched Ortiz pitch for pitch, keeping the Guardians off the board, and the game was still scoreless through six innings. But in the seventh the Guardians got something started with their igniter, Jose Ramirez.
Speaker 1: Now the one one swung on line drive base hit right field, Ramirez two for three Cleveland as its third hit. The thing about Hosey he doesn't steal a base unless it's important. He has two hundred forty eight career steals, five this year. He's got a good lead the pitch there he goes, pitch is taking a strike, no throw. Jeffers could not get a grip on the base ball. There's number two forty nine for Jose Ramirez, and now you've got the go ahead run in scoring position with nobody out. The smartest player in the game, Jose Ramirez once again steals a mase when it matters.
Speaker 2: Then with one away, Carlos Santana got the job done. Lopez maybe near the end, he's about to make his ninetieth pitch. He fires a swinging a Q shot off the third bay side of the mound, grabbed throw by.
Speaker 1: Lopez, skips down the right field line. Here comes Hosey throw the plavy slides in.
Speaker 3: With a go ahead run.
Speaker 1: Lopez tried to make the sensational playing a Q shut off the end of the mat of santana third base side of the mound. He bare handed it fired with no chance to get Samtana and a short hot friends at first ball then skipped down the right field line and foul ground. By the time Clemens retrieved and threw to the plate, Jose Ramirez had scored and the Guardians have a one nothing laid and out to the mound is the manager.
Speaker 3: Rocco ball Deli.
Speaker 2: Gabriel Larius followed with a walk, putting two men on for the hot hitting bow Nailor.
Speaker 3: Here's the two two swung out in blasted.
Speaker 1: Hidep to right hallway back a gon.
Speaker 3: Oh, what a couple of nights for bow Nailer.
Speaker 1: A majestic two out, three run homer to right and Cleveland has a four nothing laid.
Speaker 3: Here in the seventh.
Speaker 2: The Twins got on the board with a run in the eighth inning and another in the ninth, but the four to two lead was plenty as Emmanuel class A was on to finish things up. So runner third, two down and the two two to Clemens.
Speaker 1: Swinging a miss ball game. Class A strikes out the side save number five and Cleveland, with another white knuckler win beats Minnesota four to two.
Speaker 2: So the Guardians were looking for a series win heading into the finale on Thursday afternoon, and they got the scoring started early as Kyle Manzardo came to the plate in the first inning with a runner in scoring position.
Speaker 1: Now the one pitch swung on line back up the middle base it to center around third, coming to score Zarius and Kyle Manzardo, with a team high twenty RBIs, lines a two out single to center to give Cleveland the early lead one to nothing, and Kyle Manzardo just keeps on delivering. It was still a one nothing lead in the fourth when John Kenzie Noel stepped in. Here's the one one swung on and hammered hoy and deep left field, bleacher bound home run.
Speaker 3: Noell, oh Man.
Speaker 1: Did he lay into that one? And it's been coming for John Kinzie no Weel. There's his second home run on the homestand and the Guardians take cut to nothing lead, no doubt about it at least and maybe more than halfway up the bleachers there and left for Noell four hundred and fifty feet the distance on that home run. Meanwhile on the mound, it was a third consecutive strong start for the Guardians, this time from Ben Lively into the wind. His pitch swung on popped him up shallow right out goes Arius on comes Noel, who calls and makes the catch and when the big man says, I got it, Marius failed out quickly, three up, three down, a low pitch inning for live and we head to the bottom of the fifth.
Speaker 2: It's two nothing Cleveland over the Twins. But in the seventh, Minnesota battled back, scoring twice to tie the game at two. And then the rains came to Progressive Field and continued and continued some more, and after about a two hour delay, neither team was able to score in the eighth or the ninth, so we went to extra innings. The Twins were able to get the runner at second base home with a sack fly in the top half of the tenth that gave them a three to two lead, and in the bottom of the tenth it was Stephen Kwan the runner starting at second base, and with one out, Jose Ramirez got the job done in the clutch. Kwan the tying run at third, three to two, Minnesota one down. Bottom of the tenth, Twins, with the infield in outfield medium deep straight away, the next offering swung and ripped in the.
Speaker 1: Right center that sabasin tie ball game. They pitched to Ramirez and he lashes an rb I single the right center.
Speaker 3: And we are back to even at three. He's the winning run.
Speaker 1: At first it's RBI number fifteen for Jose Ramirez.
Speaker 2: And then with Ramirez at first base, another milestone moment would follow.
Speaker 1: Ramirez is one steal away from becoming the first player in franchise history with two hundred and fifty steals, two hundred and fifty home runs.
Speaker 3: He's got a good lead.
Speaker 1: Topa's ready the pitch there he goes, pitches high and wide, throw the second head first slide. He got it history for Jose Ramirez, the first Enfranchise history, the first major league third baseman ever with two hundred and fifty steals, two hundred and fifty home runs. And of course Jose Ramirez gets it at a critical juncture in the ballgame.
Speaker 2: So at first base open the Twins in tentionally walked Kyle Manzardo, bringing on hell Martinez to the plate.
Speaker 1: Two on one out, The two strength pitch from Topa. Runner goes pitch swung on, crowded in the hole. He's hitting the right Ramirez around third.
Speaker 3: He will score the game winner, and for the twelfth time.
Speaker 1: Since twenty twenty two, Cleveland is going to walk off the Twins in a one run game. Unbelievable on Hell Martinez with a pinch hit Army I single in the hold a right field, Ramirez running to third on the play, scored with ease. And twice in this series Cleveland walks off Minnesota. They do it today in ten innings, four to three. On What a win it was for the Guardian's keyed by the usual from Jose Mirrez. Hustle, plays clutch hits, and he scores the game winning run. All the while it's becoming an exclusive member in Cleveland baseball history of the two fifty two fifty career club for stolen bases and home runs. What a career he's having. And boy, it sure seems like it's going to end with a trip to Cooper's Town at some point in time for Jose Ramirez.
Speaker 2: So that wrapped up the homestand on Thursday. The road trip started. On Friday night right here in Toronto, and the Blue Jays, on a two run single in the bottom half of the eighth inning, won the series opener by a final score of five to three. Stay with us when we come back. We'll hear from Hard hitting first basement DH Kyle Manzardo. That's next on the Cleveland Clinic Guardians Radio Network.
Speaker 4: With Progressives collision coverage.
Speaker 5: My family gets up to one thousand dollars for VET bills if I'm injured in a car accident, and that makes this Chihuaha really feel like part of the family.
Speaker 3: What's that?
Speaker 4: How don't sound like at chiuaala?
Speaker 1: Oh?
Speaker 4: I'm sorry? What exactly am I supposed to sound like? I'saw true?
Speaker 5: I was are high strung riding around an expensive designer purses. Actually, I prefer riding in cars, So I appreciate that my family protects me with Progressive's pet collision coverage. Okay, maybe I am a little high strong Progressive casualty in terms company affiliate, it's not available in all states. Coverture with large cats included with the purchase of collision coverage and a subject to policy terms.
Speaker 2: Welcome back to Guardians Weekly. Jim Rosenhouse along with you from Toronto, Ontario, Canada, the Rogers Center, where the Guardians and Blue Jays are meeting this weekend. Earlier this week, on the home Stand, Cole Mansardo hit his first walk off home run in the Big Leagues to give the Guardians a two to one victory over the Twins on Tuesday night. It was not only his first walk off home run in the major leagues, but as best he can remember, it's his first home run that ended a game since his days in Little league, and he says it was quite a trip around the bases.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 6: Yeah, man, I was completely out of breath, just trying to enjoy the moment, taking the moment, but it was sweet.
Speaker 2: Does your approach change at all when you're in that situation in the ninth inning, trying to maybe win it with one swing.
Speaker 6: Yeah, not necessarily trying to win it with one swing, trying to I would say, hit a double, get us a runner and scoring position to lead off an inning, kind of first and foremost, but looking to drive the ball.
Speaker 2: And as the bad developed, what did you see and did you feel like it would get out when you hit it?
Speaker 4: No, I didn't.
Speaker 6: I didn't think it was going to get out. I thought I hit it a little bit too low, so I was running, running hard out of the box, but definitely happy it's knuck out.
Speaker 2: Can you describe the feeling for fans when when you get back to home plate and all your teammates are there.
Speaker 7: Yeah.
Speaker 8: Man, it's it's a rush.
Speaker 6: Just trying to take in the moment and make sure it doesn't slip past me without you know, enjoying it.
Speaker 2: The game was delayed quite some time, more than three hours, and I understand there's a lot of chess going on and here were you partaking in that? And if so, how did you do?
Speaker 6: I beat Nolan three times in a row. I'm not very good. I've never beat Bo or Kwan or any of those guys that are pretty good, but trying to learn it a little bit.
Speaker 2: So you say you beat Nolan three times? Does he know that you beat him three times in a row? Or are you guys kind of still trying to figure out the rules.
Speaker 9: He should know.
Speaker 6: I let him know. If he didn't know, he wasn't listening to me, but I let him know.
Speaker 2: Kyle, you look at it, how things are going and the season continues to develop. Well, we taught you shortly after it began and you were on a hot streak right out of the shoot. What have you learned over this first month that's helped you as you've gone through some of those ups and downs.
Speaker 6: Yeah, you just got to trust yourself and stick with it. You know, this is baseball, this is what you know it's going to be, So just enjoying the highs and trying not to too much into the lows.
Speaker 2: And over at first base, you have made some good plays when you've had that opportunity, and how much satisfaction do you get out of that, and how have you become a really very much a serviceable first baseman.
Speaker 6: Just staying ready, being really intentional with my work before the games, and then whenever I get a chance over there, making sure I'm trying to make the most of it.
Speaker 2: When you look at last night, it's hard to say there's a big win in April, but based on how things had gone the last couple of days, was there that feeling afterward that hey, that was a nice one to get.
Speaker 6: Yeah, yeah, just get back in the win column after a couple of rough games, and especially to make sure that we picked Bibby up. Bibby gave us the start that we really really needed. So to be able to capitalize on that with a win is excellent.
Speaker 2: And obviously you're a big part of that. At the end, Kyle, thanks for coming b I appreciate it.
Speaker 8: Thank you.
Speaker 2: That's Kyle Manzardo, who for a while now has led the team in both home runs and runs driven. In What a year it has been for Manzardo. Already, stay with us when we come back. We'll visit with catcher Bow Naylor and relief pitcher Colby Allard. That's coming up next on the Cleveland Clinic. Guardians Radio Network. Welcome back to Guardians Weekly. Jim Rosenhouse along with you from the Rogers Center in Toronto. Guardians and Blue Jays meeting on Saturday afternoon at three oh seven. I'll ramp up the weekend on Sunday afternoon with a one thirty seven first pitch. Bow Naylor hit a home run in the series opener on Friday night, his third home run this week, and he does it in the shadow of his hometown, Mississauga, just up the road. And he played some games here at the Rogers Center in youth baseball and high school baseball. So Love's coming back here. This is the third year he has done so. And with Naylor, he talked a lot about some of the keys to his recent success at the plate.
Speaker 10: Yeah, I mean it really just comes down to, you know something that I talk about often, which is controlling the things you can control. Ultimately, that's you know, trying to swing at good pitches and you know, doing damage on the ones that are kind of in the heart of the plate, which you know, we got one in that game, which is you know we always love to see.
Speaker 8: But yeah, you know, also trying.
Speaker 10: To control the the tempo of the bat, you know, making sure that you're not rushed and going out there with the plan and trying your best to execute you know, everything else. You know, if you know you put a good bat on the ball and you know it counts as an out, you know, at the end of the day, you go back to dugout knowing you did everything you could. So it's taking all those things that you can control and you know, allowing that to keep your mind a good spot for the at bats that are to follow.
Speaker 2: And I know you worked hard on some things in the offseason. Are those coming into play in a good way for you so far?
Speaker 8: Yeah? One hundred percent. Uh, you know, everything's coming together pretty well.
Speaker 10: You know, still a long season ago, so little by little, just trying to continue to take steps in the right direction, keep an open dialogue with the coaches, especially the hitting coaches just to make sure that things are flowing as we'd like, and all the hard work that we put in the off season is continue to show out there. So yeah, you know, and just got to continue to you know, go out there and try to do our best, try to make an impact, and you know, take take all the good things that you can to keep your mind.
Speaker 8: On the right spot.
Speaker 2: Defensively, throwing is obviously a big part of it, and a huge cat stealing late they roll a pinch runner in there, so I'm sure you had a hunch and it seemed like everyone else did too, but sometimes that can be a difficult situation to throw someone out in. How much have you come along defensively in that area of the game controlling the running game?
Speaker 10: I think I'm always trying to better myself in every aspect of the game, that being one of them as of recent And yeah, I mean I can't say it's all it was all me in that play. You know, shout out class A, you know, doing his best to control the running game because he made my job a lot easier. So yeah, it's all those factors coming together. I mean, you know, a lot of the emphasis for me personally just being on the throwing program, making sure that I'm sequencing and everything's patterning out correctly so that you know, we get results like that out there in the game. But yeah, I mean I try my best to do everything I can to put myself in a good position.
Speaker 8: And yeah, you know, again shout out to class A for for helping me along with that.
Speaker 2: And your manager Stephen Bow did mention that he feels you're throwing better and how can you improve at this stage of your career just in a simple thing like throwing.
Speaker 10: Yeah, I think for there's been a lot of emphasis I mean just in the whole kind of like preparation process to throwing, so like weighted balls, making sure that they're putting your arm and your body in a good position to be able to sink itself correctly, so that everything is working.
Speaker 8: The right way, you know, getting the right stretch, making sure.
Speaker 10: That everything is on time between your feet and your upper half and also staying into the ground. All those things, all those factors come together to ultimately.
Speaker 8: Create a good throw.
Speaker 10: So yeah, it's all the preparation that we do beforehand, and also you know the maintenance of the arm, the shoulder, all the things that come with that, make sure that we're staying on top of it with the trainers and the stuff behind the scenes so that we go out there.
Speaker 8: We could just go out there and kind of let the game flow.
Speaker 2: You've been there a couple of times in your major league career, but this weekend, the Toronto trip, I'm sure you circle it still a big deal, even though you've been there a couple of times.
Speaker 10: And if so, why, I like to think so being able to go out there, see some families, see friends, be able to play in a park that I'm very familiar with, you know, from growing up going games, even being able to plan it a few times growing.
Speaker 8: Up in my later high school years.
Speaker 10: All that stuff comes together just to create an amazing feeling. And yeah, you know, the biggest par is just being able to see fam play in front of them, share those moments with them, all those great experiences had.
Speaker 3: Is Bo Naylor.
Speaker 2: I'm always a fun weekend up here for Naylor when the Guardians hit down and take on the Blue Jays. Not far from Naylor's hometown of Mississauga, Colby Alert. He just joined the ball club last weekend and has provided a nice spark out of the bullpen when the Guardians need some innings, and man that he provides some innings last weekend against the Red Sox in a double header game, six innings out of the pen, and they needed every one of them to save some other arms for further use. And he said it was great to be back in the big leagues and back on a major league mound contributing to a major league team.
Speaker 9: Yeah, I mean, it's obviously good to kind of quote unquote get the monkey off the back, you know, for your first one there. So it's definitely good to you know, get out there and you know, got to got to throw quite a few innings. So yeah, no, it's definitely good to get back out there in a big league game and kind of hit the ground running for the guys.
Speaker 2: You were impressive in spring training but did not make the club right away. At the end of the spring, you had a choice of whether to stay or maybe look around a little bit. What kept you here and why was that a good decision for you?
Speaker 9: You know, I think kind of the same reason I signed here in the off season. You know, I think they're the pitching department around here has you know, done a really good job identifying you know, some things with other people that I've seen from Afar and you know myself, and I think, you know, just you know, it's a very good group of people in here.
Speaker 4: You know, there's a lot of a lot.
Speaker 9: Of you know, good people and a lot of good, you know, good winning baseball that.
Speaker 4: We're trying to play in here.
Speaker 9: So it's a great environment, you know, And I'm just very very excited to be here and you know, help help the team in any way I can.
Speaker 2: And those pluses Earlier in your career might might it have been different or you experienced enough now to know a good spot when you see it, and and just a field type thing for you.
Speaker 4: Yeah, one hundred percent.
Speaker 9: You know, I think the longer you're the longer you're around this game, the more I guess you just the more you see, the more you kind of understand. And I think, just you know, Cleveland can hopefully be a place that I can kind of, you know, bounce around a lot of places the last few years, you know, and hopefully Cleveland's a place that I can kind of find a little bit of a home.
Speaker 2: You know, Colby, I remember we talked in spring training and you said you had to really believe in your stuff and maybe not change things and explain what that means, especially maybe in the past where you tried to be a little bit different but now have settled on a good spot.
Speaker 1: You know.
Speaker 9: I think a lot of it for me is just attacking the zone, you know, and I think as being ahead of hitters. And there's been times in my career, you know, I don't necessarily throw the hardest or necessarily have the quote unquote nastiest of pitches, you know, per se. But I think when you go out there and you're ahead, and you could put a good mix in there and you stay ahead of guys, you know, I think that's something that I've done a fairly good job of this year in a Guardian's uniform. And I think that's just something that the coaching staff and have kind of instilled back into me. Is that confidence, you know that we can our stuff plays in zone and just get it out there and get it in the zone as much as we can change speeds, you know, move it in and out, up and down, and we can have success at the major league level doing that. So I think it's just kind of continuing to put one foot in front of the other, keep getting better and kind of keep hacking away with those things.
Speaker 2: Is that part of the game where sometimes there's that tendency you want your stuff to be better when maybe your stuff is just good the way it.
Speaker 4: Is one hundred percent.
Speaker 9: Yeah, you know, obviously as players, you know, we're always trying to be better and get better, you know, I think, but also just knowing who you are as a pitcher, I think is something that's very important. And you know, I think there was you know, everybody, everybody's career path is different, you know, I think, but I think the Guardians have done a really good job of kind of instilling that confidence in who I am as a pitcher and kind of just running with that rather than there's been the times in my career in the past where I've tried to be you know, trying to do too much, trying to be somebody else rather than just you know, being Colby. And so I think that's kind of just the mentality we're going to kind of continue to take forward moving forward.
Speaker 2: You're a southern California kids. San Clemente a good surfing area, and there's teammates in here who know where you're from, are from there as well? Explain surfing. How how long have you been doing it and how big a part of your life is.
Speaker 9: My dad's had me in the water since I could walk, probably, so it's definitely a it's definitely a top hobby for my for myself, and you know, it's definitely cool to have a lot of guys, a lot of other socow guys in the clubhouse so you can kind of connect on some good surf spots and you know, stuff like that.
Speaker 8: So it's definitely it's definitely a cool thing.
Speaker 2: Ben Laveley said it's actually good for him because of the paddling and things like that, good for your arms and shoulders, you look at it that way at all, one.
Speaker 9: Hundred percent, No, I think it's awesome. It's definitely good for the scaffs, good for the back, and good for honestly, good for everything.
Speaker 5: You know.
Speaker 9: It's a it's good for you know, that side of things. And I think it's good for the mental just break, you know, getting you know, getting kind of away from things. So that's a that's a good cool thing. Love surfing, love getting back out there.
Speaker 2: Can I try some some surfing slang?
Speaker 1: On you.
Speaker 3: Oh, hit me with it?
Speaker 2: Did they still say gnarly?
Speaker 9: Definitely in my vocabulary?
Speaker 2: What does it mean?
Speaker 4: That's gnarley?
Speaker 2: Man? It's crazy. Do you still shoot the curl?
Speaker 4: Shoot the curl, hit the barrel?
Speaker 2: Yeah, you can have a few of them, you know, that's funny.
Speaker 4: Let's shoot the curl.
Speaker 9: Huh. Yeah, that's a good one.
Speaker 2: Hang ten? Is that like nineteen fifties? No more?
Speaker 9: Oh no, My dad will tell you he could probably try to hang ten for you.
Speaker 2: All Right, we covered a lot here today. Colby, thanks a lot for coming back, of course, man, thanks for having long winding road for Colby Allard, a former number one draft pick of the Atlanta Braves and now trying to help out the Guardians in their bullpen as a lefty out of the pen. Stay with us when we came back. We will visit with one of the best ever to suit up for Cleveland on the mound. And that says a lot, because there's been some great ones. But Corey Klueber will be our guest when we return after this.
Speaker 7: Switching to progressive is a game winning call in my free mind, so us of other game winning calls in the history of sports.
Speaker 1: It was a doubleheader in August and really hot inside the concessions stand.
Speaker 4: That a win for people to come to me. I figured I'd walk around Yelen and that's how I became the first hot dog vendor in sports.
Speaker 7: Okay, not really a game winning call, but it was a good call. You can make one two switch to Progressive and you could save hundreds. Progressive Casualty Insurance company and affiliates not available in all states.
Speaker 3: Clober into the wind. Here it comes a slang and a miss ball game.
Speaker 1: Kloeber gets his seventh strikeout and shuts out the Detroit Tigers for nothing, the second major league complete game shutout for Corey Klueber.
Speaker 3: He did it in just one hundred and eleven pitches.
Speaker 2: Welcome back to Guardians Weekly, our final segment, and we're gonna te to a couple of greats of the game. First off, Corey Klueber was in town earlier this week when the Guardians were at home. He's kind of dipping his toe into water to see whether he would like to be an assistant and help out on an occasional basis, either at the major league level, maybe in the minor leagues, but certainly helping out the pitching end of things for the Guardians and why not. He's a two time cy Young Award winner during his time in Cleveland, and when we caught up with him earlier this week, he explained what the role of a special pitching assistant could entail and has entailed so far.
Speaker 11: Yeah, I think spring training was more so just an initial visit to kind of both sides feel out where they're at, kind of see if it was something that I thought I might enjoy, something that the.
Speaker 8: Team thought might be beneficial for them.
Speaker 11: And now I think it's more so we're just trying to figure out the best way that I can kind of be impactful and use my experiences that I encountered throughout my career to kind of be an extra resource for guys if if needed.
Speaker 2: So you're in here during a regular season series, what are some of the things that you're doing, and how can you impact guys in a short period of time. I mean, really, right now, a lot of it is still that kind of initial getting to know a lot of the guys, you know. I mean, it's funny because it wasn't that long ago I was here. But I think Jose and Carlos are the only ones on the field that I have any relationship with. So I've still got to, you know, build that relationship with guys in order to kind of have that level of trust and confidence to where if I were to say something or deliver a message, you know, it's not just coming from somebody with no background, so to speak, in that relationship. So I think that, you know, that's kind of where I'm focused right now, is just getting to you know, know the guys on a base level and kind of throughout that process and learn learn about them, how they go about their business, what makes them tick, all that kind of stuff, obviously, but pitching at the high level that you did, you you were helped by various coaches and were any especially helpful to you and how they went about it and maybe give you some guidance now as far as how you might want to go about it.
Speaker 7: You know.
Speaker 11: I mean, I've I've talked with with Rubin a little bit right after I retire, just about not about doing anything, but just kind of about what maybe next steps might be. And you know, I think more than anything, it's really about what every coach says is it's about the relationship side of it. You know, first and foremost, that's what's going to make everything more impactful, as if you have a real relationship with the players, if you have an understanding of how they operate, if you you know, you kind of know what makes them, what makes them go, then the messaging or whatever it might be, becomes that much more impactful.
Speaker 2: Fun to be background a major league clubhouse again, even if it's just for a little bit it is.
Speaker 11: It's a much different clubhouse, but it's still fun for sure.
Speaker 2: Corey, great to see you, Thanks for coming by. Thank you.
Speaker 3: Fun chat with Corey Klueber.
Speaker 2: And here's hoping that they can work something out where he can contribute at a time and a place that works well for him, because certainly a lot of good things to pass along as a player when he was here to other pitchers, and you got to figure that that would translate to the coaching end of things as well well. The twins were in Cleveland earlier this week, and that means a visit from Paul Mollader, the Hall of famer who spent some time here in Toronto also the bulk of his career with the Brewers, but finished it up with the Twins, then became a Twins manager and now working in the broadcast booth for Minnesota. So we had a couple of Hall of Famers on Radio Row in the press box in Cleveland as as soon to be official Hall of Famer will be Tom Hamilton our broadcast partner here, and he talked about some of the memories that stick out from his induction Molitors back in two thousand and four.
Speaker 12: Well, first of all, I'm so happy for Tom. I mean, just so deserving and he's not a guy really to presume anything, and so I'm not sure what it felt like when he got that call, but I'm certainly excited to see him go in. For me, it's hard to imagine that it's been twenty one years. I still remember the waiting period after post playing days.
Speaker 4: And a little bit uncertain. People tell you that you have a really.
Speaker 12: Good chance, but you know, I spent a lot of time with it as a designated hitter, so I wasn't sure if that was going to maybe jeopardize the potential induction, but it came and I was very grateful. It's still special to go back every year, you know, we get a fairly large contingent each and every year, usually at least fifty guys, if not.
Speaker 4: A little bit more than that. And it's just a great group.
Speaker 12: And we were talking yesterday about you know, the speech, and you get nervous and how do you go about thanking people and all that stuff. But if anybody is going to have not too much of an iss she's saying the right thing, it's going to be Tom Hamilton.
Speaker 2: And I know when when he was found out the news in December, he said, no one gets into this. You're just hoping to get that first job in the major leagues. You don't get into it thinking about Hall of Fame. How about is a player the same.
Speaker 4: I think it's a fair question. I don't. I know that I never dreamt about becoming a Hall of Famer.
Speaker 12: The dreams are about playing as long as you can and maybe get a chance to play professional baseball. There might be a few guys that, either because of lineage from having great athletes as fathers, that maybe they had an expectation of reaching that point at their career once they finished. But no, it just was kind of those things you know, when you finally get there, it's a dream come true. And then you try to figure out a way to stay there and then you realize you're there to win. And you know, before I could really blink, you know, I was twenty one years into it, and you know, to play till you're forty two is.
Speaker 4: Just a total gift. So yeah, it's it's like I said, it's just it's a fantastic group to be a part of.
Speaker 12: The irony now is when I went in, you know, all my boy who had heroes were the guys that I would see when it was Hank Aaron and Willie Mays and l Kline and Harmer, Killerbrew and.
Speaker 4: The Guards kind of changed.
Speaker 12: Now now I'm kind of part of that older group and so YWNT and Brett and Me and Alsie Smith and you know, we're kind of the veterans there now. So it's fun to see all these young guys coming in as far as the players that get it get inducted.
Speaker 4: But yeah, just a magical weekend and I can't wait for this summer.
Speaker 3: Paul.
Speaker 2: For you, you mentioned twenty one years and the last three were with the Twins. What did that mean to you based on your background to be able to play for that.
Speaker 12: Well, we talked about the longevity of playing and not really having that expectation, I thought I had missed my chance to play for my hometown team growing up in Saint Paul, Minnesota. I had fifteen wonderful years in Milwaukee and really never expected to leave there. But when I ventured north of the border up to Toronto, it worked out. I had my only opportunity to win a World Series and then lo and behold, the Twins had an interest in the year that I was a turn forty years old, so to come back playing my hometown. My family, who had been very supportive of traveling to see me play, could now get in the car and drive down to the Metrodome. I got to play for Tom Kelly and Man I had a lot of respect for. Probably the biggest disappointment was that my first spring training was with the Twins when Kirby Puckett went down with the glaucoma issue, and so I was really looking forward to him as a teammate and that never came into fruition. But yeah, to play for the team that really created those dreams, you know, for me, it was Killer Brew and Tony o'liva and Jim Cott and Bob Allison and maybe not names overly familiar to the Guardians fans, but you know, to go back and wear that uniform in my last three years was very special.
Speaker 2: Holly, thanks so much for the visit. Appreciate it.
Speaker 4: My pleasure.
Speaker 2: Good to see you and his Hall of Famer Paul Mollader and a lot of fun stories there and he will be on hand this summer when Hammy's going into Cooperstown in late July. Well, it's going to do it for our show. This week is always thanks to Brian Matse for helping out and putting together a solid show each and every week. We'll join you next week when the team is back home taking on the Phillies next weekend should be a fun weekend series against Philadelphia. Until then, this is Jim rosen House reminding you that you've been listening to Guardians Weekly on the Cleveland Clinic Guardians Radio Network.
Speaker 1: Guardians Weekly has been brought to you by Progressive helping Guardians fans save hundreds on car insurance