Speaker 1: This is Dan Kaplis and welcome to today's online podcast edition of The Dan Caplis Show. Please be sure to give us a five star rating if you'd be so kind, and to subscribe, download, and listen to the show every single day on your favorite podcast platform. So, can somebody explain this to me? How does everything about the Super Bowl keep getting bigger and more grand and more elaborate while the halftime show goes backwards? I mean, truly, I'm not going to sit here and play music critic all day. Everybody knows that things sucked. No, this is about the phenomena, the dynamics. How do you get an event that truly just gets more elaborate. It looked when you saw the teams enter yesterday, it looked like they were coming in through the pearly gates, right. I mean now it's not even just a tunnel. You've got all of these different effects, etc. So why is the halftime show going backwards? Whatever happened to the days of Bruno Mars and Prints and Janet Jackson and the Stones? Whatever happened to those days? I'd truly love to get your take on it. If you want to talk about the halftime show. I'm happy to, I mean, I work for you. But the question is, is there anybody in America who disagrees unless their initials are KL. Yeah, that thing was. I can't imagine it being more boring. It didn't upset me at all other than the waste of time and opportunity. But if you've got thoughts on why that's happening with the super Bowl, I'd love to hear them, because it just seems absolutely crazy, absolutely crazy that they would do that, and that they because I mean, come on, think about it. It's been part of our culture. The super Bowl halftime show. Americans have a right to expect something really big and grand and not just something just sort of routine and route and boring like that yesterday. And did the guy I mean, he was actually telling people to turn off their TVs?
Speaker 2: Right, grand father?
Speaker 3: Looks up the highest met per Bowl made, Petty, how you fully?
Speaker 4: I was telling you walk into a leave with Hey, you can pay.
Speaker 2: It, but somebody gotta do it.
Speaker 5: Oh my gotta.
Speaker 3: Turn his TV. Yoff, turn the TV.
Speaker 6: Y'all.
Speaker 2: Y'all even here say yoak, he didn't do in the show turn his TV off?
Speaker 1: Turn his And he's telling you to turn the TV off. I mean, even he knew how bad it was. So anyway, I'm just real curious as to why the NFL would be doing that because I guarantee you they lost fewers at halftime, right because the game wasn't that good. So okay, you say you hang around for the halftime show and then it's that bad.
Speaker 2: Has there ever been a worse one? Not even close? Not even close.
Speaker 1: If you're gonna grade him even the worst ones before, what would you say Ryan's the worst one before this one.
Speaker 7: That's a great question, maybe for the listeners out there, but this it did. It definitely didn't appeal to me. I'm trying not to sound like an old man, but I can't say I disagree with you.
Speaker 2: You did nothing to do with you.
Speaker 5: Listen.
Speaker 2: You know me.
Speaker 1: You know I'm not twenty one, but I'm the coolest guy in town. I'm a cutting edge. You want to talk to me about pop culture?
Speaker 5: You know?
Speaker 1: No, No, had nothing to do with chronological age. It just had to do with whether you wanted to be entertained.
Speaker 7: Did you take his advice and turn your TV off?
Speaker 5: You know?
Speaker 2: Because listen, and I was so proud of myself.
Speaker 1: My goal yesterday, and this just defies any type of chronological age thing. My goal yesterday would just sit through the whole thing from three forty five until the postgame ceremony without getting up once.
Speaker 2: And I think I got up.
Speaker 1: Once, but just to go get a burger or something, and it was for like thirty seconds. So I saw it all, and that's why I look forward to playing some of the commercials, et cetera. But this halftime show things baffles me because again, one of the things the NFL's done great job of is just making that bigger and bigger and bigger. Like my ninety three year old uncle Catholic priest still does three messes a week. He was at the first Super Bowl right, paid like seven bucks for it whatever I think it was in LA.
Speaker 2: But the NFL has done a great job.
Speaker 1: Every year it gets bigger and better while the halftime show shrinks.
Speaker 2: Why is that? Would love your thought on as well.
Speaker 1: As has there ever been a halftime show anywhere close to this?
Speaker 2: Bad dan?
Speaker 1: First off, who watches the halftime show anymore? Says a Texter? And then I think they're about to chastise me, and the computer decided to see esta.
Speaker 2: That's a good thing.
Speaker 1: Yeah, who watches the halftime show anymore? But are you aware that Hamas has withdrawn from the ceasefire deal saying Israel violated it? Yes, I am, And clearly Hamas violated it the abuse of the hostages, the people they kidnapped, and then the very abusive and traumatic way they turned them over. Obviously Moss has violated it in multiple ways. So yeah, we'll be talking about that during the show today. You can be sure, you can be sure that the blame.
Speaker 2: Lies with Hamas and not Israel. So we'll get into that dan. Kansas City didn't.
Speaker 1: Lose, they just got a little bit behind. And you know, one guy, and listen, I don't bet big. I'm really really good at sports betting, but I don't bet big. I never want to have to worry about it. Yeah, And so even though even though I had a few bucks on Kansas City, I've got a ton of relatives in Kansas City. I always want them in Kansas I always want them to be happy. So I wanted, you know, the Chiefs to win. I know that's not popular around here, but but I had to feel good for Tom Brady, right, because all this talk about how if Mahomes wins is third in a row, he's going to surpass pretty Hey, that wouldn't have been true and be there's no more talk about that. And what's disgusting is this lower court judges are stopping President Trump's power. Ridiculous, thank you text or believe me. I've prepared hard for that and we'll get into that with you today. And what we're talking about, obviously, is it's on multiple fronts right now, not all. I mean President Trump signed a lot of executive orders which have not been stayed by any federal courts around the country.
Speaker 2: You know.
Speaker 1: The big focus right now, and I understand why because I think the Court will be reversed on this is you had this court at one in the morning on Saturday, if I remember the chronology correctly, which then enjoins meaning stopped temporarily President Trump, through Elon Moskin Doze from doing a bunch of what they were doing at Treasury. And that was a one am order on Saturday, without the chance for a hearing from the Trump team. So it was an emergency order, which you know courts can do right under certain circumstances.
Speaker 2: And then the Trump team back and filed.
Speaker 1: I thought of extraordinarily well done response pretty quickly, and I read that today as well, so we'll.
Speaker 2: Get into that.
Speaker 1: I think that's the most serious of the legal issues pending right now in the sense that I think the court, in my opinion in the case, overreached. I think the Court may have overreached because you may have had the Democrats misrepresenting what was actually occurring. But I am extraordinarily confident that at this point, either the Democrats who brought the action that the Court signed off on will back off a lot of it and by agreement that order the court that injunction will be revised, or the Court will revise it, or the US Supreme Court will step in quickly. I think that order was way, way, way too broad and far reaching that was entered again without a hearing because it was on an emergency basis at one am on Saturday. And then you've got some other court actions out there that that again what I discussed in the beginning, the Trump team is so smart, so sophisticated, so well planned at this point that the Trump team fully understood that some of these executive orders such as on birthright, citizenship, etc. Were going to get stayed by a federal court somewhere, and the Trump team wanted that so it could get to this US Supreme Court quicker as quickly as possible. That's part of their overall strategy. The Trump team never assumed that all of these were just going to fly through. I think they believe in each and every one of them, and they should from the ones I've seen. But yeah, they've expected this, and then they just want to streamline it, hopefully to the US Supreme Court, because, as I'm sure you know, let's say that you have a federal court at district court judge level. Let's say out in Seattle that enjoins puts on hold a Trump executive order. Well, at that point you're not guaranteed as straight trip to the US Supreme Court. In fact, that's not what usually happens. What usually happens is it will go to a federal Court of Appeals in that area.
Speaker 2: So when you and that would be Ninth Circuit.
Speaker 1: So when you hear we're in the Tenth Circuit in Colorado, you're in the Ninth Circuit. Say if you have a California case, and then it may go from there to the US Supreme Court.
Speaker 2: Certain actions the Supreme.
Speaker 1: Court can put on a faster track, and I would expect you'd see a very very fast track on this action taken in New York on early Saturday morning. Very fast track on that, I would expect. So yeah, well we'll get into that in more detail. Dan Strike three, see you notre dame Chiefs. You need to stop sports predictions. I got to tell you, I would be I would be beyond surprise if there was anybody on Denver Radio who had anywhere close to my batting average on sports predictions.
Speaker 2: I cannot imagine anybody being anywhere.
Speaker 1: Near as successful at this over as long a period of time. Does that mean I'm going to get everyone right? No, everything's the human endeavor plus that.
Speaker 2: Would make it boring.
Speaker 1: But the one thing you have to ask yourself, what do you think the chances are that when I do get it wrong, I get it wrong on purpose just so it stays interesting.
Speaker 2: You're on the Dan Kapla Show.
Speaker 7: And now back to the Dan Kaplas Show podcast.
Speaker 2: Oh I love that.
Speaker 1: One of the few times Fox showed President Trump that was during the national anthem up in the booth. Yeah, crowd went crazy. Beautiful to see. Also when he was down on the field before the game.
Speaker 2: To me, just bizarre and outrageous.
Speaker 1: They didn't show him more during the game, but hey, yeah eight five y five was there A five A two five five text d A N five seven seven three nine. Now conversely, opposite end of the Richter scale one, Taylor Swift not as well received.
Speaker 2: Wow.
Speaker 1: And you know, one of the great joys yesterday is I watched the whole game with our amazing daughter Caroline. And we've been going to Taylor Swift concerts together since my daughter was very very young, since she was nine, and since I think about the time Taylor Swift started doing you know, like Arena's and it was just so weird to see her boot. James Carlin said, why are they doing that? And I said, well, because it's an NFC stadium. But I think it's really because she went after Trump.
Speaker 7: I think part of it is that there's some benda. Graham Kamala Harris overlap here, there's some of that. Zach Seegers, who helps produce my show most days before years here in Denver, said that he had read reports that the breakdown of fans in the stadium was about eighty twenty favorite Philly.
Speaker 2: So yeah, Philly fans.
Speaker 7: Are booing her because of Travis Kelcey and the Chiefs that part, But there might have been Republican Eagles fans there that were booing twice as loudly.
Speaker 1: Well, I think the point is there were lots of reasons to bore right, so it's hard to sort it out.
Speaker 2: Let's go to Lynn in Denver. You're on the Dan Kapla show.
Speaker 1: Welcome boy. Some mean tweets today, We are grateful for those. Welcome Lynn.
Speaker 3: Hi.
Speaker 8: That kind of fun subject I wouldn't want.
Speaker 3: I don't think it was right that they booed her.
Speaker 8: I mean that's that wasn't necessary. But what I called about was that I called you several years ago about a halftime show that I thought was horrible. And I think that this wasn't great this one. I did turn it off in the beginning. I liked this one, but then it got interesting and I just turned the channel until it was over. But the one that I called about that was really bad years ago was The Who. And I'd seen them in high school during the sixties at a concert, and then when they played at the Super Bowl. I called, and I said they were.
Speaker 3: Great until they started singing, because they were so terrible.
Speaker 1: And you can be old.
Speaker 3: And be really good like throwing stones, but.
Speaker 8: The Who is terrible. And I'd say that that was probably the worst one I've seen.
Speaker 2: Well, but can I challenge that? Can I challenge that?
Speaker 5: Oh?
Speaker 1: Sure, because okay, you got the Who up there, and now that you mentioned I remember adia they couldn't sing anymore, but they were still the Who. So at least the halftime show had some weight, right, because it's one of the great rock bands of all time. And it was interesting because Okay, they can't sing anymore, so that was interesting too. This guy yesterday who is not at all a household name in America, And the super Bowl is supposed to be a big unifying thing for America, which doesn't mean we'll all agree on the music, but it should be an act that most people know, right, at least the Who most people know.
Speaker 8: Oh, I agree completely, And there are some and there's rap music that I do like, even at my age. There's people are surprised that I like Gangster's Paradise and I like Eminem when he doesn't have dirty If they bleep out the dirty words.
Speaker 4: But I just I found this.
Speaker 8: Uninteresting, and yes, it just seems strange and it doesn't seem like it fit. I mean a little bit of it, but it just didn't cover what I don't know.
Speaker 3: I'm with you on that that it wasn't the best.
Speaker 2: It was kind of beneath the Super Bowl, right, I mean, you.
Speaker 1: Should have a bigger act at this It was like Super Bowl fifty.
Speaker 2: Remember they had who was it Kracklin Crows or something? Who was it? At fifty? It was some washed up old group counting, But then.
Speaker 1: Then beyond fortunately Beyonce popped in. But the main act was going to be I can't remember the name of the group, but way past its prime. But then fortunately Beyonce popped in and did her thing. Though I remember something controversial Coldplay? Yeah, Coldplay, and I mean yours passed their prime and then Beyonce did something controversial I can't remember, but we would have been better off yesterday was something controversial, because at least it would have been interesting.
Speaker 2: This was like karaoke.
Speaker 3: I agree with that.
Speaker 1: Yeah, thank you, Lynn, appreciate the call. She maybe the last person today to agree with me on anything. Texter Dan, Actually I should thank you. I made money all three times betting the opposite of you yeah uh so yeah, and then laughing emojis, And I am glad to hear that that you bet off, because I always tell people when I make my sports predictions, please don't bet with me. I'd feel so bad if you lost your money. Even though a really eerie amount of the time, I am correct. Dan about the same chance as Taylor Swift not getting booed by the Philadelphia Eagle fans at the Super Bowl. I guess Eagles fans do boot just about everything, but not President Trump. President Trump very very warmly received.
Speaker 2: As he should have been.
Speaker 4: Fuss.
Speaker 2: Why do you think Fox didn't show him more often?
Speaker 1: That's bizarre to have president there for the first time in American history and they don't show him more often.
Speaker 2: Whether they showed him once elicited the.
Speaker 7: Chair from the Superdome crowd there, it was pretty universal, but they Yeah, had it been on ABC, CBS, NBC, you think they would have shown him at all.
Speaker 2: I'm thinking maybe now.
Speaker 1: He's got them so spooked, we're going to be playing this CBS the sound of this CBS poll. If he'd been on CBS right now with the threat of suing them.
Speaker 2: You wouldn't have seen the game.
Speaker 1: Okay, here's Trump, you know, eating a ham sandwich. Here's Trump doing this, don't you think, Ryan? Here's a Texter? Dan f the NFL A Football focusm FU for talking about it. I'm sorry you're only allowed two f's on this show, Dan. The worst was Michael jackson halftime show when he was gyrating while a crowd of young children surrounded the stage, shocking. This was before all the pedophile charges came out. Do you remember that show, Michael Jackson?
Speaker 7: I thought it was excellent as far as a musical performance. Post he was always the king of pop for a very good reason.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Dan, I'm fifty seven. Wanted to watch ever tell you my Michael Jackson story?
Speaker 2: One of these? You got his hat? What are the odds? That's amazing? He throws his hat out to the crowd at McNichols. What are the odds?
Speaker 7: I can't you gotta admit you're kind of like Forrest Gump. You play pinball with the who you get Michael Jackson's hat?
Speaker 2: And I didn't know who they were. I actually said to Roger Daltrey, who are you?
Speaker 1: Are you?
Speaker 2: I didn't know. I didn't say that way because I didn't know. I Hey, who are you?
Speaker 1: Yeah, Dan, I'm fifty and it's the only reason he wanted to play with me. Yeah, I was the only person there. I didn't know who he was spawning over. Yeah, yeah, Dan, I'm fifty seven years old, and you know, he's just some guy. I couldn't understand that well, but seemed like a nice guy. And I played a good game of pinball, especially on a Tommy pinball machine.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Hey, we're gonna shift gears for a quick second. Kim Cordova coming up. Really happy to have her with us talk about the King Supers strike, so major union leader in fact, she is UFCW Local seven president. Kim Cordova joins us after the break on the dan Kaplace Show.
Speaker 7: You're listening to the dan Kaplas Show podcast. I'm ecstatic that the Eagles want Are you kidding?
Speaker 2: I can tell, I can tell that's a great thing.
Speaker 1: Hey, let's go to the vip line and welcome UFCW Local seven President Kim Cordova to the Dankapla Show to talk about the strike against certain King Supers in the Metro area.
Speaker 2: Kim welcome to the Dan Kapla show.
Speaker 4: Hi Dan, thank you for having me on.
Speaker 2: Well, appreciate the time.
Speaker 1: And starting point is can you tell folks at this point how many King superstores now are involved.
Speaker 2: In the strike?
Speaker 4: Seventy nine? So all of the stores are on the front Range Denver, Colorado, the metropolitan metropolitan area, Boulder, Parker, Broomfield, and Pueblo.
Speaker 2: Wow.
Speaker 1: And is it all of the stores in that area? Are there some exceptions.
Speaker 4: All of the stores north of one hundred and twentieth our non union Those stores are not reppers, but for all of those other areas they are union represented stores.
Speaker 2: Thank you.
Speaker 1: And at this point are people honoring the striker or what percentage would you say or honoring the strike?
Speaker 2: How much is business.
Speaker 1: Down would you estimate at the King supers where the strike's active.
Speaker 4: I think that the business is down significant. And we see that we represent the stores at Safeway. We know Safeway's business is probably at about one hundred percent. I had a guests and I'm watching the parking lots. They're overflowing, and I think in the around the there's a lot of competition in this market and so there's a lot of other places for the consumer to shop, and we think they are picking up a lot of the business.
Speaker 2: What is the strike about.
Speaker 4: So we've been negotiating with Kroger King super City Market since October and the company's engaged in on their labor practices. We've been trying to rea contracts. We're bargaining and negotiating for sixteen contracts for all Kroger stores that are unionized across the state of Colorado. There's sixteen contracts across the state. So as we've been negotiating, the company has been engaged and unlawful. They're called ulps or unlawful behavior. I'm sorry somebody's walking into they've been engaged. They've been engaged in unlawful behavior. And we filed charges with the National Labor Relations FORD. So our strike, we have a two weeks strike now could be extended to even other stores to The strike is against the charges with the government that we have because the company is violating the law and it prohibits us from negotiating successor agreements.
Speaker 1: Now, is money at the heart of this or is it other considerations beyond the alleged violations of the law.
Speaker 2: Is there a money issue at the.
Speaker 8: Core of all this not well.
Speaker 4: There is to the extent that the company has put submitted what's called a LAS best and final offer, which we believe is an unlawful offer. But they are trying to move eight million dollars of money from our retiree health fund to pay for wage increases, and so our side, we have not put a proposal for wages on our big thing that our members want to address is staffing we've seen since the pandemic. Then you know, we have striking twenty twenty two, and then the attempted merger with Albertsons, the company has reduced staffing significantly. So it's an hour issue, it's it's the price of grocery. We're actually asking the companies to invest in lower grocery prices, and instead they took after the merger failed. A lot of this is residue from the failed attempt to merge with Albertsons. And you know, Kroger was going to buy Albertson's for twenty four billion dollars. That mergers failed, but they send over a billion dollars in legal fees and other fees to try to you know, get to seek the approval. But now they're being ensued by Albertson's and all of this you know, mess between you know, this attempt to merge has caused you know, we've seen executives make the decision to increase the price of grocery at the same time they've been reducing staffing in the storages, not just here in Colorado but across the country. And it's really everybody has paid for that, you know, attempt to merge between the customers and the workers. And so you know, we are trying to fix this chronic staffing issue. You actually had done a show and talked to our workers last year who were fired over security issues the King's Five and that's part of this fight too, and it's a staffing issue. We're asking for guards. We're seeing so much stuff in these stores. There's a lot of crime, whether it's inside or out sites that take place in these public stores here, and they refuse to invest in proper staffing, which we think if there's more people in the store, it's safer for not only the workers to work there, but to shop there. And so staffing and safety are the top priorities in this contract right now. And of course workers, you know, we have not the union has not put a wage proposal because the staffing issue is real, like the Witching five folks, I mean, our members are constantly having to make excuses and apologize for the high price of groceries. There's a big deal with staffing, has a lot to do with price integrity in the stores. There's simply not enough staff to change in that, you know, the tags on the shelves or in the system to match the price of groceries and what they're advertised versus what goes through the register. And that's causing a lot of safety issues in our store as well. And we're our members are our shoppers. They spend all their checks right back into these stores. And you know, we want the company to invest in lower prices and more staff and safer workplace shape a safer shopping experience for the customer.
Speaker 2: Now.
Speaker 1: Kim Cordova, our guest president of UFCW Local seven. Kim, when and how do you think this will all end?
Speaker 4: Well, you know, I sent a letter to the company today again, if they resolve the unfair labor practices, we want to go back to the table. But they there's critical information they have to provide us around staffing and they are refusing. The company does not want to give up any control of hours or staffing in those stores, even though customers see and experience what we're fighting over long lines, empty shelves, higher prices. There's departments that are closed early, and there's not a worker shortage or a supply shortage in the country. The pandemic was one issue. All they've done is ride on that success. We're raising grocery, the prices of grocery, reducing staff, and it's been profitable for these employers, but for the workers and the customers not so much. It hasn't been a good deal for them.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it seems to me this has got to get worked out and quickly. And the reason I say that is that it strikes me the King Supers just going to King Super shopping at King Supers is a big part of the fabric of Colorado and that people universally like their King Supers employees. And so I've got to believe there's so much support out there for King Supers employees that this will get worked out. So appreciate you being with us. I'm going to continue to honor the strike myself. So if you looked at the snack I have with me right now, Kim. It looks pretty awful because normally I go to King Supers I get my certain kind of peanut butter. So yesterday I had to instacart some substitute from some other grocery store. And honestly, it looks like somebody got sick on the desk here. But I will continue to honor the strike and hopefully it all works out.
Speaker 4: Well, Well, we appreciate your support. You know, we also represent Safeway workers, and you know we're hoping that King Soupers. You know, you know we can negotiate a contract that works best for the workers and the consumer.
Speaker 2: Well, I appreciate the time.
Speaker 4: Today, all right, thank you very much.
Speaker 1: Good you take care, Thank you, and please, I hope nobody takes my support of the strike as something anti King Soupers.
Speaker 2: I love King Soupers.
Speaker 1: I love shopping there, and over the years, I think it's maintained a high level of quality. I love going into King Supers everywhere. So I'm not anti Kroger anti King Supers, quite the opposite, very positive about that. I'm just pro worker and I've always loved the people who work at all the different King soupers and just figure they should get taken care of. So anyway, if you've got a different point of view, we will certainly send the Perverse built limo for you. Eight five zero five eight two five five. Here's the game plan. We've been talking mainly about a lot of different things. We've been talking about the Super Bowl halftime show and the bigger question, because everybody knows it was terrible, the bigger question is why why are the halftime shows getting worse at an event that they pour a ton of money into making.
Speaker 2: Better in every other way every year? Right?
Speaker 1: So why are they letting the halftime shows get worse? Has there ever been a worse halftime show? Bringing you some fun sound from the you know, super Bowl, we'll get into some of the commercials. I thought there were some really good commercials. Why didn't they show President Trump more often? First sitting president to be there? And every time they showed him he got cheered wildly. Taylor Swift got boots. So we'll continue to play that and more, and then we will get into some of the really serious stuff of the day.
Speaker 2: You're on the Dan Kaplas Show. And now back to the Dan Kaplas Show.
Speaker 5: Podcast.
Speaker 1: Have you thought about what happens if the administration defies these rulings, then.
Speaker 6: What I'd offer three points on it are likely to come in that scenario. First, any official who thinks it's a good idea to disregard what a court orders might look at the story of Rudy Giuliani, who has lost his law license, has lost all his possessions, and whose actions that sacrificed his integrity came at now great personal cost. It will not be costless for people who decide to disregard the rule of law.
Speaker 1: Well, Phil Wiser, then shouldn't you be very concerned with elected officials who defy federal immigration law. Shouldn't you be lecturing Mike Johnston and lecturing all your Democrat cronies who prints around bragging about sanctuary city? And yeah, it seems to me you've got other concerns right now, my friend, Now listen that this whole big lie that jd Vance tweeted out, something that would even imply that Trump was going to violate court orders is ludicrous. I mean, this is like, you know, I won't say it's quite like the coup attempt two point zero, but jd Vance said nothing of the sort. Trump has done nothing of the sort. This is desperate Democrats at this point trying to find something to latch onto that will stop their slide into oblivion. Actually it's kind of a free fall into oblivion right now. What were they in the last Quinnipieck poll thirty one percent proofal in America And I don't know where those thirty one percent come from. Eight y five for zero five eight two five to five. Jdvance is threatening nothing of the sort. And what's happening is in a way a very positive thing for America. The Democrats are losing their minds. It's a it's a very obvious communal nervous breakdown on their part in front of the public. And that is so important, so important long term, because you've still got so many people who vote Democrat out of habit and they have no idea the party is this whack right now. But now the whackery is hard to ignore and avoid, and that that's a good thing. That's a good thing because a lot fewer people be voting for them in the future. Hopefully here in Colorado too, Dan f the Union, what's all this.
Speaker 2: F word stuff? Today?
Speaker 1: I know we've got to elevate the discourse here f the unions. Unions equal higher prices and more dollars to the Communist Party aka Democrats, sincerely, Abe, Well, thanks for this sincerely. First of all, listen, unions are like people. Unions are like companies. Unions are like anything else in life. There are some good ones, there are some great ones, there are some okay ones, there are some bad ones. So a statement that broad, I think is just not credible on its face. When I talk about all I'm talking about here, I'm not talking about some big global philosophical thing. I'm just talking about I got a lot of experience going to King Supers. I got a lot of experience interacting with those people. I've been involved in some major litigation against major grocery store chain. I know something about that industry. I haven't sued Kroger, by the way, not in some big corporate deal. I've sued him in some serious injury cases, but not some big corporate deal.
Speaker 2: So all I'm saying is I like going to King Supers.
Speaker 1: I really like the workers, and I think that the workers should get taken care of. If I've seen no evidence whatsoever that if the workers get what they want, that somehow Kroger won't be able to still make billions and billions of dollars every year.
Speaker 2: And I want them to prosper.
Speaker 1: That they provide a very valuable service to our community and I've always enjoyed going into their stores.
Speaker 2: I want them to prosper.
Speaker 1: But key to prospering is having a happy, healthy workforce. And from everything I've heard, I just think I want to support the workers here. If you have some good reason not to love to have that conversation. Let's go to beautiful Problo, Colorado talk to Patrick Defund. The Police was his T shirt. It was absolutely brilliant. Patrick, Welcome to the show. I thought, after that T shirt, you must be calling us from your private jet.
Speaker 5: Hello, den boy. I wish not much of a marketer, but you know, I even gave a lot of them away, but I was happy to do it. I donated funds to Heidi's campaign. That's wonderful of them anyway.
Speaker 2: So you're marketing your way to have it.
Speaker 5: But hey, I was more on your Who's story. I've been wanting to talk to you since I heard some of your first comments. My first experience with the WHO was nineteen seventy one at the Denver Coliseum on the second night it was a Saturday Sunday show. I had a ticket. I saw the Who with all the original members, and all I got to say is that lady called in earlier. I wish he could have seen that show or any of the other numerous ones that I saw, like A Mile High and Boulder. But at the original show that I saw them at, we were able to sneak behind some people after the show and get in backstage and I got to meet every member. That's great done in twistle.
Speaker 2: That's a great story.
Speaker 5: I bought a guitar that shortly after that, like a week or two afterwards, and a funny story. I was just trying to learn to play it, and my mom was a real jokester, and after about a week she said I got a suggestion. I said, what's that? She said, why don't you just smash it like he does?
Speaker 2: Thank you, mom, Patrick, appreciate the call.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I'm sure I probably would have received a suggestion like that if I had a guitar. No, my mom was totally supportive of everything musical. But thank you Patrick for that call. Texter Dan, how does she referring to the union president who joined us. Expect higher wages and more staff, but you mentioned lower prices. It just doesn't work that way when King Sooper's profit margins are so low. Thank you, Texter, great text. Yes, the profit margins are very low, and I don't claim to be a grocery industry expert. The profit margins are very low, but they do a very, very high volume. And that's why, if the last numbers I saw were accurate, Kroger I think had net profits last.
Speaker 2: Year of three or four billion. And listen, I want them to prosper. They provide a great service.
Speaker 1: I want them to be able to afford to keep doing it, be motivated to keep doing it, do it at a high level. But yeah, even though the margins are low, when you operate on a volume like that, you can still make billions a year.
Speaker 2: Let's just take care of the workers. You're on the den Kapla show.