Speaker 1: Hey, Carl. Here, we're on a mission to find new fans of the show. I mean, where else can you get real life comedy and horror in one podcast. You can do your part by leaving us a review on iTunes, Spotify or wherever you get Security this week. Also, you can get an ad free feed by becoming a five dollars a month patron. Go to Patreon dot Security this week dot com and sign up, and don't forget Discord. Discord dot Security this week dot com. Lots of good stuff happening there. Yeah, I think that's it. So on with the podcast. Hey guys, I thought i'd tell you I just bought a sweet car online.
Speaker 2: Ooh nice? Well, yeah, what is it?
Speaker 1: It was previously owned by Neil Diamond Sweet Car Online. Do I have to spell it out?
Speaker 2: Come on you deadly it all right?
Speaker 1: It's Security this Week, Carl. That's Dwayne and Patrick and we got a few stories here. Some of them are pretty scary and some of them are of the time. Let's talk about Fortinet, our old friend. They are warning of critical RCEE. That's remote control and execution flaws in forty sandbox and forty authenticator and you know they're they're going the way of McDonald's where everything starts with Mick.
Speaker 3: Right, they've been there. Coke please, and yeah, i'd like a mcfirewall. I think you hat it is apporting.
Speaker 2: Yeah, all right.
Speaker 1: So what happened here?
Speaker 2: This is a classic? This is a classic. Well, we didn't check the inputs type of thing on our you know, forty authenticator are bad. Somebody can execute code what I don't understand, and so nothing really groundbreaking here other than obviously people are trying to tear apart these firewalls, so always make sure you go and patch. The first CVE here the twenty twenty six four four two seven seven that's forty authentic Hator identity so it's their identity management solution. Was actually patched in UH six five seven and six six nine and eight oh three, so there are patches out for these, but it's it's a pretty basic like there's an endpoint that you can hit that unfortunately will execute code. So this one, this one distills down to a if you're running this, go patch. Is one of the reasons we put this on the this week's show because there's a lot of Fordinet out there.
Speaker 1: I just want to point out that this article refers to at least four different products, all that start with forty. I know, And I wonder if you work there, if they make you say the whole product name in meetings and in emails and everything, and do the people get tired?
Speaker 2: Probably relentlessly like prefixing everything with Carl and I sit down, I'm like, yeah, I took a look at Sandbox today, And he's like, sorry, what did you just say?
Speaker 1: I'm sorry, you looked at what.
Speaker 2: Fo to Sandbox four to Sandbox bad?
Speaker 1: All right, I'm going to forty lunch now at the forty cafeteria.
Speaker 4: So put forty dollars in the tip.
Speaker 1: Jar sweed jar A forty. Met up with you forty later. All right, So go patch, Go patch, go patch. No problem there right next you remember we talked about Canvas.
Speaker 2: Yes we did, and they were hacked. Yes. I heard a lot about Canvas.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and Canvas was hacked. And it turns out that they reached an agreement with the hacking group behind the breach, and that they this is I don't get it. They say all stolen data was returned.
Speaker 2: Yeah, returned unread. Yeah. And you know what's great is the bad guys. According to this sent a shred log showing they deleted everything, like yeah, you know what we removed it on, don't we Really?
Speaker 1: All they had to do is back it up onto something else and then what shred something else and say, see we shredded it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's all gone. It's all gone.
Speaker 4: Are you saying there's no honor among.
Speaker 2: The Yeah, yes, yes, that's what I'm saying. Yeah, yeah, I know, right, there's very little honor among US security people and never mind thieves. So instructure and oddly we were joking about this before I read it all last week because nobody knows the parent company of Canvas, but as infrastructure, it's actually in structure. Yeah, so in structure. UH reached out to the Shiny Hunters and miraculously came to this agreement where the data was deleted and none of it will be shared. And it's awesome. You know what I missed in this article that I scoured for and then I scoured the internet for is the data? No, No, that's there. I can find that. How much do you think they paid for that?
Speaker 1: Wow?
Speaker 2: Like they didn't. There is there is no mention of it anywhere, and all there is is a note from the FBI today saying we don't agree with paying for ransomware, but just a generic note, not in reference to this, of course, but in reference to this. So, yeah, my guess is if you're using Canvas, your fees may go up.
Speaker 1: You know, Shiny Hunters was my favorite band in the nineties, and I particularly liked their first album, which was called Stolen Hard Drives.
Speaker 2: Nice. Yeah, yeah, yeah, I could see that. I could see that.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Shiny Hunters.
Speaker 4: So, Patrick, how much do you think they paid? I would think it was a six six figures.
Speaker 1: It's got to be six or seven figures.
Speaker 2: So with the damages they caused, and so, okay, when we talked about this last week, we said, listen, initially, this is not a big deal. This was a data breach. They actually signed up as a free teacher. There's a free teacher accounts, so they signed up as a free teacher. They quirt an API. They were able to get more information than they should, you know, blah blah blah. Right, and it should have stopped there. But what the forensics is now releasing is there was a fair bit of Okay, now that we have some information on who the students are who the teachers are in a little bit of a mess. Let's start crafting our own parts inside canvas because you can do that, right, You can create your own little HTML snippets and that sort of stuff. And they started doing that and injecting cross site scripting once that happened. Now they were getting access to real accounts, right, and starting to get access to administrative accounts, so.
Speaker 4: They could do like a module that teaches teachers how to detect using AI to write a paper or things like that.
Speaker 2: Sure, absolutely right, speculation, yep, just speculation. Yeah, So cross site scripting to cross site scripting was absolutely used in starting to steal accounts once they got access to the data they had through the APIs. And then on top of that, it also allowed them to inject that warning screen we saw last week, Hey shiny hunters have compromised blah blah blah whatever. Right, And all that was was, yeah, they didn't take down the back end servers. They were just messing around with the hteam out, but it freaked everybody out, causing damages and chaos that way.
Speaker 4: So it's worth saying something. This is a little bit of of a segue, but it's a little bit of a PSA. So one of the plagues of the Internet is you go to a website and it asks it to send you notifications, and you should always say no, but you say yes by accident or you sneeze and click the wrong thing. That site now can send you pop toast and notifications, and a lot of times what happens is you give the wrong website that permission and it starts telling you that you're infected. Yeah, and then that leads you to the panic that causes the actual breach. Yeah, because those notifications are harmless if you don't click on.
Speaker 1: Them, right, Yeah, those notifications, if you've approved them, they could put whatever JavaScript or anything they want in there because you've approved it.
Speaker 4: So you basically get told you're about to die if you don't send me fifty thousand dollars. But you're really not. You're not gotten until you take the bait. And so I think this is akin to that kind of psychological effect. So one of the one of the key things to avoid is panic and taking a rash decision. If they're gonna make a rash decision, unplug the system, Yes, like, just unplug it. That'll buy you time.
Speaker 2: Well, It sounds like instructor tried that right, and they shut everything down during finals, which messed a lot of people up.
Speaker 4: I get it, but I'm just saying for the users when in doubt, stop and analyze. Don't don't kneed jerk reaction.
Speaker 2: But here's the here's the other thing I would ask. If you're Canvas and you're an educational tool and you allow your users a tool I know, right, you allow your users to create content and that content can have JavaScript in it, Why, oh why would you ever not have that pen tested?
Speaker 1: Right? Like?
Speaker 2: That should have been number one. Hey, my users might be malicious, especially seeing we're handing out free accounts because they need to say the ransoms. Well thanks for that, Patrick, I didn't think about it that way. That makes the same number.
Speaker 1: Two, Patrick Hines.
Speaker 2: Sorry, Yeah, I just closed my mind when I see that, because it's like, did you have no eye whatsoever towards the fact that this could be used maliciously, especially in the fact that you're handing out free accounts?
Speaker 1: Yeah?
Speaker 2: And I will tell you if if this was pen tested, I don't know that I would go back to that pen testing team. I can tell you, like, do we find everything in a pen test. No, but there's like cross sit scripting is usually.
Speaker 1: By the way, I think the Shiny Hunters second album was even better. That's called data.
Speaker 2: What data?
Speaker 1: All right, let's move on.
Speaker 2: Kong tu was it? Bye bye bye? There was not us.
Speaker 1: Kong tou ko t u k e. Hackers now use Microsoft teams for corporate breaches.
Speaker 4: Is that like a hat a knit hat for King Kong?
Speaker 3: It is?
Speaker 2: It's a konto, It's a French hat.
Speaker 1: Is the I'd hate to see the ball of yarn that started as take Yeah, so the interesting what is kong tuk anyway?
Speaker 2: So kong Tuk is a malicious team what they call it an initial access broker IV. Initial access brokers aren't people who have malware, aren't people who take bitcoin that sort of stuff. They break into sites and they stay as quiet as possible, and then they sell access to those sites. So they say, hey, I have access to you know, uh canvas. Yeah, well yeah exactly, I have accesses to canvas in multiple schools, uh you know who wants it on the dark web and then at that point there's a bidding frenzy and people then get access go infect the place. That sort of stuff.
Speaker 1: You know.
Speaker 2: What's interesting I find is a lot of the people who do the ransomware and damages and that sort of stuff, they get caught. They there are several articles of some arrests that happened this week. You don't see it a lot with the initial access brokers, no right where it's like, oh, I don't know, we found an exploit, but we didn't do anything with it, although they didn't turn it into the company either.
Speaker 4: In human trafficking. All the people who actually do the initial kidnapping and things like that very rarely come to justice. It's the ones at the end. Yeah, you know, but they're every bit is bad.
Speaker 2: Stark advice.
Speaker 4: I know, got dark there, didn't.
Speaker 1: I get nervous when I see PowerShell commands like this PowerShell ex Dash Execution policy bypass.
Speaker 2: Nice what Windows style hidden? Don't show the window? What right? Yep? Dash command IWR yep. So it's downloading from a from a ZIP. It looks like from drop box. So Dropbox isn't going to be picked up on your outbound rules because everybody uses that out to a file, it expands it and then it runs win zip. It runs a winps, Python, Slash games, dot Pie heads up. Those aren't games. Yeah, I'm going to throw that out there right now.
Speaker 4: They're fun for somebody.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's a it's a modal rat So what does.
Speaker 1: This mean for people who use Microsoft Teams all the time?
Speaker 2: So this will cause yeah, no, oh my god, sorry so mean.
Speaker 1: And that's why Patrick and I are not regional directors.
Speaker 2: Yeah, exactly, they're like, way to toe the line. All this means is this, This is a social engineering attack. This isn't you know, teams being exploited. This, it's just a delivery mechanism. It's it's the same thing as if they had sent you an email with this command and asked you to run it. Right, They're just they're now initial access brokers are targeting every surface they can, whether it's email, whether it's SMS. Is a lot harder, right, They're not going to text you these commands because you can't run them. But messaging apps Telegram, WhatsApp, if you're running them on your desktop and get commands like this, This happens all the time. Just teams is in the mix now, So I'd say, don't run things you don't know what they are. Don't don't like Patrick lakes to say, don't pick up gum and chew it off the floor. But here, trendy freaky, these aren't free games, I promise you.
Speaker 1: Yeah, all right, one more and then we'll take a break. Praise on AI p r A I s O n AI off bypass targeted within hours of disclosure. So Dwayne, you like this one?
Speaker 2: I do like this one?
Speaker 4: How many hours so this?
Speaker 2: Yeah? I know? Right? So well, first let's talk about the exploit. So the vulnerability here and think think of praise on AI as like an open Claws spin off type thing whatever. Right, there's tons of these things around.
Speaker 1: Something you give agency to. You give it all your passwords and stuff.
Speaker 2: And all your passwords and your AI keys so they can charge you millions of months.
Speaker 1: Yeah, nicko's and ax on your behalf and you hope that it doesn't screw up your life.
Speaker 2: Yeah it does and it does. So in here blah blah blah, they deploy a flask server, which is a web server for running Python. Uh you know code and you know lo and behold. There's no authentication turned on by default whatever, right, I mean, yeah, it sucks. Somebody should have tested it. Somebody should have found it whatever. If you're if you have this accessible on the internet, you know, bad for you. Anyways, you probably should have not had that.
Speaker 1: But they said that it ships with a legacy flask API server with off disabled by default, right, so shame on them for doing that.
Speaker 2: Yeah. True, shame on everybody. Shame on everybody. Everybody gets shame. So yeah, okay, this is a classic story like boy meets API server, API server doesn't ask what his name is.
Speaker 3: And.
Speaker 2: Yeah, exactly. But the more interesting part was the moment that this was announced publicly. Uh, this was targeted within four hours public disclosure, so publicly they came out and said, hey, we got this thing. It's really weird. People can access the API agent's file. We're taking care of it. And then four hours later servers were seeing from the internet scans coming in to look for those files. Four hours four hours.
Speaker 4: I mean, that's a little longer than the Gilligan's tour, but.
Speaker 2: About his devastating as a Gilligan's tour. Now, professor, you can fix everything but the boat. Okay, as is Justice side tour here? Yeah, why really, you couldn't fix the boat. You couldn't even build a raft out of all that wood and bamboo they had. He built a radio out of coconuts. I know it doesn't make any sense.
Speaker 1: Yeah, well, I I just wonder how they got all those batteries to last for so many years. You know, did you know that the whole premise of Gilligan's Island was for each of them one to represent the seven Deadly Sins?
Speaker 2: No? Really, no I did not.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, yep, that was it.
Speaker 2: I mean I could see I could see Thurston Howell as Greed. Yeah, I could see. Uh absolutely, Gilligan was sloth Vanity. Uh wait who Gilligan was?
Speaker 1: Gilligan was slough because he was lazy and he didn't do anything.
Speaker 2: I thought Gillian Gilligan was idiocy, but sloth makes.
Speaker 1: I don't think idiocy is one of the dead, but it should fortunately should be.
Speaker 2: But uh wait, Ginger was probably Vanity lust Oh lust.
Speaker 4: Yeah, Vanity would be Missus Howell.
Speaker 1: The Skipper was Gluttony.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 4: Or what's what's her name?
Speaker 2: The other love Marianne Daddy mah oh mary Anne?
Speaker 1: Oh geez, I don't I don't.
Speaker 2: Remember, okay, ken one of you without looking on the internet name.
Speaker 4: I think Missus Howell was van Gilligan.
Speaker 1: You know, when you said boy meets Ai and all that stuff, I was immediately reminded of watching MTV with when bands in the eighties towards the end of the eighties just started getting a bigger edge to them and getting out of the glam band thing, and this one heavy metal guy.
Speaker 2: Goes yeah, you know, it's a typical love story.
Speaker 1: Boy loves girl, girl doesn't love boy, boy kills girl.
Speaker 2: That's uh, that's typical dark dark dark. All right, here's our official list. You're ready. Yeah, Pride, okay, greed, lust, envy, gluttony, wrath, sloth.
Speaker 4: Oh, I wonder if that's it.
Speaker 1: Marianne was envy, Yeah she wasn't.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah she envy ginger? Yeah yeah, who was Pride?
Speaker 1: And Pride must have been the professor.
Speaker 2: Professor because he was so smart, but not really.
Speaker 4: Because he refused to fix the boat.
Speaker 2: He's like, I'm not fixing that boat that's beneath me.
Speaker 4: Does this still qualify as an episode?
Speaker 1: I don't think it's a security podcast anymore. We're going to change it to uh three hours, right, all right, So what's the takeaway for this thing? H be careful because after.
Speaker 2: You can going to be exploded. Yeah. I think there's a couple takeaways. We've been talking about how AIS entered the arena of exploitation, and we're starting to see we're definitely starting to see attackers watching public announcements. Before they couldn't do much about it, right, they'd needed to go do research and figure out what's going on before they could come up with an exploit. Now, with a public announcement and just a little bit of detail, AI is getting very, very good at discovering what the problem is and then creating a proof of comoy.
Speaker 1: I was going to say, it's the AIS that are discovering these things people aren't glued to their Yeah.
Speaker 4: Absolutely, Well, we're still we're still in the era where AI because Mythos hasn't been generally released and who knows whether it's actually living up to its standard is AI is really great at finding vulnerabilities in things that has the source code for like Linux kernels and documented stupidity.
Speaker 2: Sure like this ye yeah, yep.
Speaker 4: So if it knows what to look for, it will find the vulnerability. Yes, we're still in that phase. We're not in the phase yet where it's you know, inventing new hacks from whole cloth.
Speaker 1: And I think I'll put on my future looking hat here. And I've said it before, and you know, I've been pretty good about predicting the future in my career.
Speaker 4: Your two.
Speaker 1: Is that we're going to find that the AI works for the good guys as fast as it does for the bad guys at some point.
Speaker 2: Sure.
Speaker 1: And what I mean by that is we have to have more automated patching that kind of stuff, better alerts. Right now, we have to have our you know, our documentation and in order in our list of resources what do we call it.
Speaker 4: The good guys have more money, and there are more good guys more money than if we got into a situation where we could patch things using a pool of tokens and money so that we could patch things faster. The problem is, if it's one company against all the hackers that might come after him, then it's it's not a fair fight. If it's all the defenders against all the attackers, then it's very much a fair fight.
Speaker 1: There could be services in the future that will have your s bombs and all that stuff should be looking out for you, and holy crap, where you know.
Speaker 4: I think it's going to be a rocky five years.
Speaker 1: This is vulnerable and that just got announced and we're patching it now.
Speaker 4: I have hope for five years from now. I don't have hope for the next five.
Speaker 1: I think it'll be sooner than that. It's got to be.
Speaker 4: I hope, So, I hope.
Speaker 1: So it's got it.
Speaker 4: I thought I thought getting ransom weird for a decade would cause people to back up their stuff in ways that was immutable.
Speaker 1: Well, I thought we were going to have peak oil and the world is going to end before we found fracking too.
Speaker 2: I mean, yeah, so what do you think this podcast looks like in a year.
Speaker 1: I think we're just going to talk about Gilligan's Island.
Speaker 4: I mean, I hope.
Speaker 2: I mean it's a slower moving topic.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I mean we've been declaring the death of the need for cyber people for a long time. You and I said, well, you know, this gravy train of sequel injection can't last that long. You know.
Speaker 2: It's funny. I remember when companies got firewalls and I was like, well, it's all over and don't need to be in security. Now everybody's got a firewall.
Speaker 4: It just keeps getting bigger and bigger. And bigger because the vulnerabilities keep getting weirder and weirder. Right, Oh, and you have to have a sick, twisted mind like you and somewhat to me in order to even think that way.
Speaker 1: But I'm so glad my mind is not sick and twisted like you. Guys.
Speaker 4: We're working on it.
Speaker 2: All right.
Speaker 1: With that, let's take a little break and we'll get back to I promise more security content right.
Speaker 2: After these very important messages.
Speaker 1: And we're back at security this week. That's Dwayne and Patrick and I'm Carl And this is this one's going to take a little bit of time to explain Windows zero days expose BitLocker bypasses and CTF MOND privilege escalation.
Speaker 2: This one's awesome.
Speaker 1: Wow, that that's a big one.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean I really actually like this one.
Speaker 4: So before you get into this, you were talking about how weird BitLocker is in the way it actually defends.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so a lot of people I don't think I understand how BitLocker works. Okay, so if you do bit let's say we do BitLocker. Those that do you think they know how it works?
Speaker 1: Probably first well, BitLocker is to encrypt data in Windows on the hard drive, right.
Speaker 4: Yeah, And it's encryption at rest.
Speaker 1: Encryption at rest, Yeah.
Speaker 2: Exactly, I was going to say. And more specifically, it's encryption at rest. So what does that mean?
Speaker 1: Yah?
Speaker 2: Data in motion. Obviously, data you're using needs to be decrypted or you can't use it. Data at rest are the bits that are sitting on I call it a hard drive, not a hard drive anymore, right, solid state whatever, but it in store for lack of yeah, for lack of a better TERMAL call it hard drive. So you have a hard drive in your in your computer, your laptop or whatever. If you turn on BitLocker, you know ya for you if you lose your laptop, somebody can't pull the data off that drive. Well they can now, but they used to not be able to that data off the drive and we've seen so how does it work? Actually, So that's a good question, you say yourself. Okay, so the whole drive is encrypted at rest. If it's encrypted at rest, how do I boot my computer?
Speaker 1: Because if it doesn't have to be your whole drive, by the way, it could just be one folder.
Speaker 2: Sure, absolutely, But let's say we're using but it's typically the whole drive. Let's say, we're using full volume encryption. Okay, we're encrypting everything.
Speaker 4: Which is the thing most people do.
Speaker 2: Yes, you say yourself, okay, so if I'm using full volume encryption, then how does the computer boot? Right? Just ask that simple question. Well, there's some Windows files kicking around somewhere.
Speaker 4: I thought they were in the TPM.
Speaker 1: That aren't encrypted, and they need some isn't encrypted at boot time, So that's what you're saying.
Speaker 2: No, they're all encrypted. That's the part that's weird. Most people don't get the whole thing is encrypted. So you say, okay, well, how does it even boot Windows? Then how do I get into Windows? The way it works is my whole hard drive is encrypted, So when I boot my computer up, your computer goes through this whole BIOS check, the CPU check, the memory check, the whatever. And the computers that support locker have a chip on the motherboard which is a tp M chip. It's a trusted compute module that holds keys. That's what it does. That's its job, right, and it verifies that nothing has changed in the security of the boot order. So what that means is, you know, is the drive serial number the same? Is it have? Am I booting in UEFI. There's all sorts of things it checks and if everything checks out, it goes Okay. I will give you a key, but that key does not decrypt the hard drive. That key is a master key that decrypts the key that's used for the hard drive. This is an important distinction. So there are two keys, two symmetric keys that are used for encryption. One of them is.
Speaker 1: The symmetric used. Symmetric means one way and asymmetric use means both ways. Is that how it works?
Speaker 2: So let me let me break that apart even more. Metric means the key is used. The same key is used to decrypts as it is to encrypt. It's like we have a password and if I give you the password, you're gonna give me access to a room or whatever it is. But is that one password.
Speaker 4: It's like using a key to lock a door, same key unlocks the door exactly.
Speaker 1: That's symmetric, yes.
Speaker 4: Whereas asymmetric means one key locks and a different key unlocks exactly.
Speaker 2: Okay, right, Yeah, that's a that's a good way of thinking about it.
Speaker 1: That's a really Hey, if you learn nothing today except for the seven Deadly sins.
Speaker 2: You'll remember the Gilligan stuff.
Speaker 1: This is something to remember because yeah, that that was a piece of data that went in when here and out the other when I was working with the keys.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and it's and so okay, so we got two symmetric keys. We have a master symmetric key that is used to unlock the the the volume level key. Yeah, and the volume level key is used to unlock all of the files on the drive. Those are two keys. Those keys are also encrypted by asymmetric encryption. And that's so you can't just open the chip up and look at it and try and get the master key, the volume master key. You can't because it's encrypted with asymmetric encryption. And the only way that key comes out is if everything in the boot process looks clean. So, so far are we good? Right? I boom my computer like normal. The bias goes through, says nothing's changed, it's the same drive, it's the whatever, and it pulls that volume level master key out. That key then decrypts the full disc key, which is then used to decrypt the drive.
Speaker 4: So this is why if you update the firm where sometimes you get screwed.
Speaker 2: On, yeah, or change the drive out or anything like that, or put the drive in a new laptop. You can't read it anymore because the keys don't match. I have a question, what's the question? Yeah, So my question is do the asymmetric keys get created on the fly every time or are they also stored? They are also stored. They are, yeah, and they're they're not released unless that boot order camera is called the PC something or other.
Speaker 1: It's not like TLS like ah cps, where the keys are created.
Speaker 2: You know. Yeah, it's that's a good distinction. Yeah, it's not. It's not instantaneously created at the time. Because the interesting thing about asymmetric encryption, I guess if you find asymmetric encryption interesting is you're it's not used to encrypt large amounts of data. So a lot of us see SSL and we go, oh, that's a symmetric encryption. It's got public and private keys and blah blah blah. Really, all that's doing is encrypting a session key in your browser. That's that's a symmetric key that we're going to share. So and I go to talk to Carl, and I want our conversation to be secure. I have a public key, he has a private key. I send I encrypt a password a symmetric key like Kong two right with his public key, and I send it to him, and now he can decrypt it, and then.
Speaker 4: We use that key we switch over to the metric key.
Speaker 2: Yeah, exactly. Okay.
Speaker 4: The problem with all asymmetric protocols are very limited in how much data they can encrypt, whereas symmetric can encrypt terabytes.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Yeah, and there's all sorts of stream ciphers and all sorts of things you can do with that.
Speaker 4: This is your important concepts for quantum.
Speaker 2: So yeah, no, no, moving on.
Speaker 1: So let's go back to Gilligan's Island.
Speaker 2: Let's say we're now, let's say, in a normal situation, we haven't even gotten to the exploit yet. Let's say in a normal situation, we boot our laptop, we log in, so that means we've passed the nothing has changed. Check the TPM supplied the master key. Yeah, the master key decrypted, the full disc encryption key. The full disc encryption key decrypted the disc. Now here's an important distinction. What happens if I power my laptop off? How does all those files get encrypted? Again?
Speaker 1: Wait a minute, encrypted the whole disc at boot? Yeah, now, you say, well, just like that, not on demand. How's that even possible? How is that possible?
Speaker 2: So there's another right, So what about Mary lou So there's another distinction here. The files on disc actually never get decrypted sitting on disc. The moment Windows boots, it decrypts them all in RAM, not the whole drive, everything it needs. When it goes down, everything on it starts. So now we have on demand decryption that only is loaded in memory. And what that means is, if I power the laptop off, you're fine. The files are still encrypted, right, Yeah, the files are still and the memory disappears, right right, because that's how random access memory works. So okay, So, however, I see a vulnerability here.
Speaker 1: That key is somewhere in RAM.
Speaker 2: So, yes, the key is somewhere in RAM, and it's it's highly protected. There are ways to strip the keys out and all sorts of stuff. Yeah, there are listeners on the TPMs and all sorts of weird stuff. Okay, Now let's come to the exploit. And this is the the the guy who discovered this exploit this said, this is one of the most insane discoveries I've ever found. End quote. He starts digging through Windows coat and I say he maybe it's maybe it's a HEMI it's a she actually is probably an AI, but neither here nor there's an it. Yeah, so this SEXPLO it's called yellow key. So when I boot Windows, that whole process we talked about works. If I plug a US. Let's say I want to restore Windows. We're running into an issue. I had a driver failure or whatever it is. You go into the Windows are which is a it's a Windows recovery environment. So I plug into USB, a Windows USB, and it boots to that Windows USB. But I can still see the drive. I can't access anything unless I supply the BitLocker recovery key. So if I go to my sea drive and say, oh, show me all of Carl's files because I've booted to this USB stick, it will say, well, give me the one hundred and twenty eight bit key that unlocks a drive.
Speaker 1: And I'll do that, and I know where those are. Those are online and you if you log into Windows with yeah, log into the website, you see your profile. Yep, they're right there.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 2: If you on your laptop have logged into your laptop with an online micros account. You're not using a local account. You can log into your profile. You can find those recovery keys. But let's say we don't have that recovery key. Anything I try and do to the boot drive, anything I try and do to the to the user's drive, the files that anything I get access denied I get. You can't do anything with these because I don't have that recovery key. I can't bypass, I can't ask Windows. Are the USB stick to decrypt the file so that I can read it?
Speaker 1: Not possible.
Speaker 2: Okay, so we're in the same place, but I can see some I can see the files, right. It's because the you know what the names are because because we were able to boot into Windows R the volume master key loaded, which is fine because we haven't manipulated anything yet, and we can still see the file structure, right. We just can't do things with it. Okay. There is a transactional file system. It's called FSTX. For those of you who may have remembered Microsoft. Do you guys remember Microsoft at one point said, you know what file systems are dead wins. We're going to make the entire win fest. We're going to make the entire file system.
Speaker 4: A database a database, Yeah, because what could go wrong?
Speaker 2: And what did databases have?
Speaker 1: Do you remember Rory Blach on dot net rocks trying to explain win fs. Yes, you do it, says Now, now imagine you have your porn collection and imagine you want to store it by keyword. So you might have one keyword that's like threesomes, another keyword it's like and you have another category. You know, computer must be burned to the ground after viewing.
Speaker 2: Right, So okay, get away with words that. What did databases have? They have all sorts of things. They have transactions right where I can say, I want to make sure that if I'm you know, let's say, for example, I want to enter an entry into the database table, well, transactionally, I want to make sure that it doesn't violate neing referential integrity. I want to make sure that I commit it. Blah bah blah. Let's say there's an issue with me committing that transaction. Well, obviously I want to be able to roll it back, right, I want to go back to originally what was in that table. So Microsoft had implemented all of these things in the file systems. Okay, stop there, transactions, rollbacks, all sorts of stuff.
Speaker 1: Stop there. WinFS was supposed to be one of the pillars of Vista that included all sorts of other things. Uh huh, And they couldn't. They basically said, we couldn't implement WinFS because we couldn't figure out how to traverse networks efficiently. Yes, and so they they dropped it. Yeah, and everybody thought, hey, it's that we don't have that.
Speaker 2: Do you know how they dropped it? They just deleted it, didn't tell anybody that it was there. They deleted the UI and said, pretend you don't remember it's here. That's what they did. So at the kernel level, all of the transactions still exist, all of the rollbacks still exists, as the.
Speaker 1: MVP is going to be revoked.
Speaker 4: No, no, backward compatibility is a bane in our existence.
Speaker 2: What's actually, Carl, what's hilarious is my MVP for Microsoft Security Developer was revoked a long time ago, which whatever. But anyways, so okay, because I don't do enough in the community talking about development and security, Yeah, that's why it's all good.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: So what this exploit does is it invokes that kernel level roll batches and puts it as a transaction in the queue for for NTFS Transactional File System and says, oh, by the way, here are the bits I want you to roll back. I want you to take command dot ex and I want you to roll it back onto the se T HC dot ex. Now you may say, what what is the s E T A C H dody x. That's the sticky keys. Anybody know what sticky keys is?
Speaker 1: Oh?
Speaker 2: Yeah, and how you get to sticky keys?
Speaker 1: Yeah, there's a keystroke or something like that. If you hit you get this pop up that says, hey, do you want to turn sticky keys?
Speaker 2: If you know, if you ta, if you hit shift your left shift five times quickly, it will pop this up and say you want to do you want to enable sticky keys? And it's an accessibility You're going to do it right now?
Speaker 1: Ready? Yeah, there it is sticky keys.
Speaker 2: So it's an accessibility thing. What's great about that is that works before you log into the computer. So I can be at the login screen and I can hit I can hit shift five times and it will open up that that program, that sticky keys program. So now what I can say is, hey, computer, I want you to put in the transactional layer to restore on top of the sticky keys program the command dot ex program for me. So you can now I just shut the computer down. I didn't I didn't touch the encrypted files. When I boot the computer back up, it goes through the whole process of decrypting and whatnot, and it goes, oh, by the way, there's this transaction here that I need to run to restore command dot ex on top of S E T HC dot exe. And then at the command prompt, I hit the shift five times and sure enough, a command prompt opens with system level access and everything's degred. Oh my god.
Speaker 4: All right, so you can get this command to run on a system that you don't have credentials to.
Speaker 2: Yeah, what's also kind of cool? As you say, okay, well, Dwayne, this sounds like BS. How did you get a transaction? And the transactions are actually logged in a dollar log file log file sitting at the route? How did you get a transaction in an encrypted log file? Right? The decryption and encryption of data only denies you only requires that recovery key on BitLocker if you try and do normal reads and writes. So if I tried to open that file and say nope, go away. But if I call the API and the Windows kernels, who would do that to create a transaction? This is the Windows kernel API goes, Oh, well, let me grab the keys for you, okay, so I can encrypt it into the log file.
Speaker 1: I have an obvious question here that I'm sure is on everybody's mind.
Speaker 2: Uh huh.
Speaker 1: Does NTFS which is the file system the user uses? Does it use win FS the stuff that's there? No? Okay, why is it there?
Speaker 4: Back with compatibility?
Speaker 1: Is the a p I even enabled?
Speaker 4: Back with compatibility?
Speaker 1: Question?
Speaker 4: Some some product that Microsoft built that needs it and they didn't want to right.
Speaker 2: Or I'm an overwork development of Microsoft. And my manager, Candy me said, did you rip out fast yet? And I said, uh, yeah, delete the UI it's gone find it good luck.
Speaker 1: Geez.
Speaker 2: Yeah, this is uh, this is a crazy bug and it is super easy to exploit.
Speaker 1: So and is there a fix?
Speaker 2: No? No, this is Oh my god, this is we need with our listeners.
Speaker 1: Please don't be evil.
Speaker 4: Don't let Dwayne near your computer.
Speaker 2: No, don't around with speed drive.
Speaker 4: So I gotta tell the story, Dwayne. We had a customer, super paranoid customer, great customer. No names, no, no in name of industry, and they were super proud of how they did things, and they didn't allow people to even access the Internet from their desktops. They had to go to Kiosk machines in the middle of the courtyard and Dwayne walked in and they're like, you know, we're really proud of these. You know, you're welcome to try to, you know, get administrative prompt or you know, do something on these, but they're so locked down. And the guy turned around and Dwayne had an admin prompt.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you told me this, yeah, And then he was freaking embarrassed, right, and he goes, oh my god, hang on, and he like ran off and came back.
Speaker 2: He says, okay, now you can't do it.
Speaker 4: It just happened over and over again, but he's like four times.
Speaker 2: And what was funny is the last time, he's like, listen, this network we have here, these computers in the middle of the room. They don't have access to anything but the Internet. And I was able to not only bypass the things they had, but then fire up wire sharks. Oh god, and I could see all the credit card transactions coming off of their their outside network. And he's like, wait, how do you see those? They're on a different IP range. I don't even route that, and I'm like, dude, it's on the same copper. I'll tell you for a million dollars exactly. Yeah. Yeah, it was. That was a fun That was a fun benta.
Speaker 1: All right. So now let's let's get to the story which is in two stories, which is you remember last week and we talked about Linux and how it was pretty much hosed. Every Linux system is at risk. That was what two thirty two is all about. Yeah, well, apparently there's more to come, and.
Speaker 2: Let's it's just a dumpster fire.
Speaker 1: Yeah, let's start with the dirty frag zero day that gives root on all major distributions.
Speaker 2: Oh, it's so good, so good. This is a great week for privesk. Honestly, this is the historical week for privesk Windows and Linux.
Speaker 4: And a bad week for everyone else.
Speaker 2: Yeah, this is so good, so yeah dirty. We talked about copy fail last week, which copy fail was oh my god, you have access to all these things and there are patches for the kernel out there for that. And then based off of the XFRM esp page caching, which was part of the vulnerability, another researcher came out with another one and they were like, you know what, this is dirty frag. Dirty frag also exploits cash right vulnerability and gives you privileged escalation right on the box. And you know, here again we're back at the same place, not patched. You know, we have an issue.
Speaker 1: So why did they call it dirty frag? Does that have anything with defragmenting?
Speaker 2: It has to do with fragmentation, So it has to do with, you know how, because they're manipulating the cash right vulnerability. So cash is notoriously you need to fragment and then defragment it to squeeze all the memory down and then refragment it right as you're reading and writing and that sort of stuff. And typically we find, especially if you're doing even if you're doing like heap grooming, same type of thing, you're manipulating the fragmentation of the heap to get it to run code or free something it shouldn't have, or that sort of stuff like a US effort.
Speaker 1: So I can understand from when you say heap grooming what that is. And because you know grooming, you get comb your hair, you organized things. I get it. But you know, they they talk about things like dirty pipe, and I'm a little I don't really understand what that is. You know, I have an imagination.
Speaker 2: That's a special folder dirty pipe. We could probably find some examples of dirty pipe, but they.
Speaker 1: Say in the dirty frag belongs to the same class as dirty pipe and copy fill innextrollabilities. It exploits the fragment field of a different kernel data structure.
Speaker 2: Right right, So it's and it's a lot of these exploits come from I create a structure, I delete the structure, and then I create a smaller structure, and I delete that structure, and I do these in a particular pattern that allow me to then manipulate that structure to either access stuff I shouldn't, or have a use after free where it's actually putting data in there and it and the computer believes that that memory is freed, but I still have a pointer to it, so then I can do all sorts of stuff in there. So and that's all of your like you're dirty, even going all the way back to dirty cow, all of them are the same style of attackers. Now you get dirty cow, dirty pipe, dirty frog, all of them come back to get.
Speaker 1: A dirty frog, dirty chicken, dirty pig.
Speaker 2: The dirty farm. That's going to be the exploitation framework is the dirty farm, and it's just going to be all.
Speaker 1: I just you know, I can't deduce what they possibly could be from those names, so.
Speaker 2: I know, right, So a lot of these are around, and some of these, a lot of them end up being around efficiencies, right, like all of you know, when you delete a file on your hard drive, doesn't actually delete it, right, It doesn't overrite it was.
Speaker 1: You know that.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it doesn't remove the magnetic bits on there, right. All it does is tell the file system pretend it's not there. That's it. That's all that deleting a file does. Now, as we have frantic listeners going and drilling drives, so what we do, yeah, exactly, Yeah, we have them melted down into a slag.
Speaker 4: We have a company that does the shredding.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, yep, data distruction. I don't know if you've seen those. Those are awesome. They're like paper shredders, but for like hard drives. I mean you shrow them in there and they crush anything.
Speaker 1: So there was the episode of Mondays where Richard Campbell, who was Richard the Toy Boy, found this device that was a hard drive cleaner, Zappa or whatever. You put it in this device. It had no power. You put it in the device, you wait for one minute, and then you take it out and it's completely gone. It was a magnet.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, a big, a big magnet.
Speaker 1: Man. He told the story of Goliath. You want to hear a story, I'll tell you a story about a big magnet. This is nothing. Yeah, okay, So but you're talking about things that shred.
Speaker 2: Right right? Yeah?
Speaker 4: Anyways, yeah I digress.
Speaker 2: Yeah, like uh yeah, like just choose the drives apart in small, fine metal bits.
Speaker 1: All right. So there is a patch for this, and it's kind of a patch. It's a command that you need to to run, and it's right there in the article. It's an s h print def install ESP four whatever. So it's going to remove the vulnerable ESP four, ESP six and r x pc r x RPC kernel modules. But it's important that it'll break ip SECVPNS and that stuff. So read the article and I think there are patches available maybe yet are there?
Speaker 2: So configurations the the a lot of the Linux kernels are getting patches over some of these, whether it's going to be copy fail or you know, dirty frag or whatever, or the next one we talk about.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and so what is the next one we're going to talk about? This is this is our yeah?
Speaker 2: Yeah, the next one is literally shoot, you know what. Let me look at the days here. On the eighth, Dirty Frag came out and we were like, oh dear god, we just had an exploit in copy fail in all major Linux brands. And then on the fourteenth, Fragnesia came out. And this is a spin off of a dirty Frag. This is the same leveraging a lot of the same components, the x FRS esp cash right.
Speaker 1: You know, I would imagine that it could be a spin off of dirty Cow, because then you'd have milk of frag.
Speaker 2: Milk of frag.
Speaker 4: It's a child of wow, wow, how is that?
Speaker 2: That's pretty good? Huh.
Speaker 1: I'll be here for five more minutes, kids.
Speaker 2: So, needless to say, this is another way to exploit it. So a lot of people, especially if there's not a patch released, we'll go out and start putting indicators a compromise monitoring on their systems. They have sims that they're monitoring what's going on, and they may be so specific that they're going to catch one of these button on the other. So just real there are multiple ways to exploit this cash read and write. In the article, it even says just as Fragnesia, dirty frag has a publicly available POC exploit. So both of these right now are just out on the internet, so you have to be careful if any one of them at this point could exploit a Linux system. So you need to go out and take a look at these articles. Like Carl had said, there is a configuration change you can make that will make these safer. You just need to make sure it's not going to cause issues with your install.
Speaker 1: And the Linux distros are trying to catch up, and probably by the time you hear this, there's probably going to be a distro patch.
Speaker 2: One would hope one would hoop. Until then, I'm going to compromise every Linux box.
Speaker 1: Watch out. Duane's on the case.
Speaker 2: Wow for science.
Speaker 1: I think that's it.
Speaker 2: Right, I think that's that's this week.
Speaker 1: Yeah, all right, that's what happened last week, and so we'll talk about what happens next week on Security this week. Bye bye, Mike, ooh
Speaker 4: Ooh ta