Speaker 1: Calarogus Shark Media from the Latin Quarter of Montreal. I'm Jenny Mack with your daily comedy news. I just left New Faces two. It was awesome, way way stronger than New Faces one. Wally Burm was your host for New Faces two, not as strong as John Marco, and I was wondering how that would set up the room. Would it be strong enough to lead into the comedians. Don't worry about that, because boy Max Eddie came out number one, Max out of San Francisco. At that point in the evening, I wrote in my notebook Best so Far a couple notes he does have a hack joke in the middle of his set that he needs to totally drop. And he did do the same exact joke as somebody did in New Faces One that said absolutely crushed. Put an arrow. If I put an arrow in my notebook, that's a good sign. Only one person got an arrow out of New Faces One. Next up was Catherine Blandfield out of Saint Louis.
Speaker 2: I love her.
Speaker 1: I think she might have been my favorite of the twenty comedians I saw on Wednesday evening.
Speaker 2: Really really really liked her.
Speaker 1: She got an up arrow at a star She was followed by Vittorio Angeloni. That's the guy out of Northern Ireland. He had a great opener about the room and how well lit. It was very, very funny, and he crushed. So you had a strong open number one with Max Eddie and then Catherine Blandfield and Vittorio Angelone crushing back to back. So could it keep going? Could Sam Bero out of Chicago.
Speaker 2: Keep it going? Sam also got an up arrow out of me.
Speaker 1: He had a tough draw after two crushers, but really really funny, maybe just a hair not as good as the two previous, but super solid. In the five spot, Randy Numayer gets a tough straw after everybody crushing before her. She was really good too. She's out of Vancouver. Liked her a lot. Then Tom Murphy from Montreal hometown crowd behind him. I stepped down from the previous group, but by no means not funny, meaning funny. Chloe Radcliffe in the seventh spots out of Minneapolis, super entertaining, really strong performer, more entertaining than funny, but strong. Ory Styla out of London in the eight spot. I liked him a lot, really nice performer. Dean Stanfield out of Texas, came out dressed as a cowboy in the nine hole.
Speaker 2: More of a storyteller.
Speaker 1: I'm not sure New Faces is the right room for that type of act. You know, if your storyteller, you got to build these things and it takes a minute. That said really enjoyed him as well. Dylan Adler closed the night and it was approaching eleven o'clock. Johnny Max gets a little tired, starting to struggle a little bit, but high entered. I performer a great closer, great way to close the night. So you know, ten solid comedians there. They did do the thing again where they had his tatan fake laughter. I forgot to mention yesterday they had the room ice cold to keep us awake.
Speaker 2: I guess that's a good thing.
Speaker 1: In between new phases one and two, I saw Alistair Ogden hanging out in the hallway and I was really tempted to be like, hey, what to do my podcast?
Speaker 2: But I resisted.
Speaker 1: Also so Bruce Gray hanging around, I probably could have grabbed him, and I was like, oh, but then, Neil know I have a podcast and I'll listen to it and then I'll hear what I said about his set, so I did not ask him. Hi, let's do a quick news story here from the corner. Nish Kumar talked about why Trump isn't actually good for comedy. He says he's not one of your cracksmoking mayors. He enjoys the festivals. He says, these shows are always really good fun. There's an international circuit of comedians to do these things that do Montreal, Edinburgh and Melbourne, and it's a really great opportunity to catch up with some friends and also get to see some good stuff as well. He told Yahoo Canada. I watch a lot when I'm in town, and I've seen some unbelievable shows. He was doing a show in Toronto in February when Trump got into it with the tariffs. Kumar said, that was a particularly febrile time. I think I was hoping that things might have calmed down a little bit, but obviously they were never gonna calm down. It's a fascinating experiment what happens when a country for seemingly no reason, out of nowhere, for versus centuries of diplomatic relations with its neighbor with whom it shares a land border. Well, you know here as a Canadian. You Americans keep putting out Adam Sandler movies, I mean, Happy Gilmore too out on Netflix today.
Speaker 2: Don't do that. Why would you do that? Anyway?
Speaker 1: Let me take the break a little early here. I got to go back to the hotel room to upload these shows so that you're actually hearing this now, and I've got a pretty robust second half. So early break, you're right back here in Montreal. He just for laughs, Montreal Comedy Festival. It is the second Friday, so it's a big day. At one o'clock today the New Faces Writers four o'clock, Smash Reads, Reddit Stories Live. They a lot of industry type stuff. At five o'clock breaking down the pilot structure. Six thirty Early show just for laughs. Gallow with Roy Wood Junior. Seven o'clock Nick Muhammad is mister Swallow Show Bony seven o'clock. Robbie Hoffman headlines JFL. That's a good title for a show. Well done there, The Nasty Show at seven, Nathan McIntosh at seven, Wally Burram at seven, Gina Yes Sheer. Gina's show at seven is called twenty twenty five One hell of a Decade. Seven o'clock Just for laughs, Shorts, New Faces, Stand Up Encore at seven, Best of the Fast seven thirty, Nate Jackson A Lot of Buzz on Nate at eight o'clock, Will Anderson's Will Legitimate eight thirty, Nish Kumar Nish, Don't Kill My Vibe eight thirty. Bilingual show Bonjour High at nine o'clock. I always love the title because one of my I mean, I'm not the most original person, but if I'm in Montreal or France, I always do the bonjour hello, and then you speak to me in English. But I find that works a lot better than walking and going yeah, let me get a Venti iced coffee, like just at least attempt. My brain is able to read French pretty quickly, especially if I'm in a French speaking country for thirty six hours. The vocabulary comes and goes depending on how much prep I've done. When I did Paris a couple of years ago, I was five years ago. No, it was right before the pandemic. I had, you know, done the duelingo and listen to a bunch of French podcasts and I was okay. Ish pronunciation otuocious. But you know, I find if you try, people are pretty cool about It, Rachel Scanlon at nine o'clock Just for Laughs, Pilots at nine o'clock, Michelle Batill's Gala at nine thirty, Danny Boy at nine thirty, May Martin at nine thirty, Variety's ten Comics to Watch at nine thirty That's a heck of a show. Also at nine thirty, New Faces, Stand Up, Encore, Best of the Fast nine forty five, Andrea Jinn at ten, Steph Tolev at eleven thirty, and Midnight Surprise at eleven fifty nine. At the Festival tonight at nine thirty, May Martin said, I usually get people to write questions and put them in a bucket. Then I do a little section where I improvise and answer questions from the audience. I like to create a kind of atmosphere where it feels like we're seeing something that won't happen again. May says, Canada has been very good to me. Yeah, it's great up here. No Adams Sanlor movies. I like it. I've been coming to Montreal since I was a kid. It's it's nice to check back in. You see the same people every summer. It's special and I'm glad it's the Festival still thriving also tonight in Denver, the Rise Comedy Festival, running tonight through August second to the fourth annual Rise Comedy Festival more than one hundred and fifty performers from around the United States. Organizer Nick Armstrong says, the comedy scene in Denver's huge. We're happy to be hosting so many people here. We have an all access pass which allows you to get into all of the shows, and it's actually very inexpensive ninety nine bucks.
Speaker 2: That's great.
Speaker 1: I mean, if you're around and you want to hit shows for a week, that's awesome. We try to make it as inexpensive as we can so people can watch as many as they want. There are some comedy junkies in Denver this weekend. The focus is on stand up. There's a Stand Up Colorado. It's a local showcase Saturday night. These stand up competition finals. Comics compete for five hundred dollars, two hundred and fifty dollars, and one hundred and fifty dollars, but the big prize is to get to perform in front of influential judges. Armstrong said. Each year we bring in different judges who work in the industry, book festivals and help comics get real exposure. Last year, some guys gave out their emails and told comics to send them tapes. That kind of connection can open real doors. Next weekend is dedicated to improv. There's also Festival Intensive, a four day educational programming featuring four instructors and twenty four hours of training. The festival got three hundred and fifty submissions for this year's festival. Nick says that was actually down. I think people are travel adverse because of budget, or at least that's what we've been told today. I'll still take it. I mean, that's still a really healthy response.
Speaker 2: Sure is.
Speaker 1: Nick doesn't want the festival to get too big. We don't want it to become this huge thing because we don't want it to become so diluted that people can't connect. Sounds like a good festival. San Diego Comic Con kicks off. The south Park guys will be there with their one point five billion dollars that would pay for thirty seven and a half years of Stephen Colbert shows. There's an immersive south Park experience at court Yard. While you're there, you can take part in an interactive photo opportunity, some trivia, karaoke giveaways, and more. There's also a costume contest, including categories for best Kenny, Best Kyle, Best Stand, Best Butters. The event is free and open to the public. You can also check out the Comedy Central panel at six forty five and Hall Eah featuring Trey Parker, Matt Stone and there are a billion and a half dollars down in the United States. I feel bad for you people because you are being stuck with the release today on Netflix of Happy Gilmour Too. I mean, it's just awful. Luckily, here in Canada, we don't have to deal with such things. Adam Sandler says fans stopped him in the streets for twenty eight years asking for this sequel. Well, everybody, you got white yass Or, Sailor said, for almost three decades, he rejected the idea, and then one day changed his mind to maybe I'm wondering how much money Netflix offered him that changed his money spoilers. I mean, I don't want to ruin an Adam Sandler comedy for you spoilers when Happy gil Woar two begins. His life isn't perfect right now, says Adam Sandler at least at the beginning of the movie, and he's a family man. He's getting back into the golf game. The cast includes Ben Stiller, Christopher McDonald, Julie Bowen, Travis Kelcey, Bad Bunny, and a bunch of pro golfer. As Adam Sandler said, we wrote him stuff and everybody was kind enough to come and everybody and it did a great job. Every day on set, someone cool would show up and would hang out. Christopher McDonald, who's seventy years old now and as one of the best guest starring roles on Star Trek The Next Generation as Lieutenant Castillo. Remember that, Yeah, Yesterday's Enterprise.
Speaker 2: One of the best episodes. He said.
Speaker 1: What I love about Adam Sandler is his heart. He's got so much love for people, and he's done some amazing work in the last few years. I'm very happy for him. Let's break that apart. Adam Sandlor does have heart, and that is admirable. I'm there with that. He's got love for people. That's fantastic And as McDonald says, he's done some amazing work in the last few years. Yes, he uncuts you in the Basketball Movie and the Alien one. Those are all really good. Just stop making comedies. McDonald would not talk about the plot. He said, I signed an NDA, this is kind of a big deal. At the Happy Gilmore premiere, Sandler was asked by Entertainment Tonight what it would take for him to make a movie featuring all three of his famous co star actresses together. They are Julie Bowen, Jennifer Aniston, and of course Drew Barrymore, who has the unique ability to make an Adam Sandler comedy watchable. Sandler said it would require a great set and happiness. He joked all the ladies, which suggests different diets to me during filming that say, Adam, you got to stop beating this because they're all like best friends. Drew Barrymore, of course, co starred in the two of the watchable Adam Sandler comedies, The Wedding Singer and Fifty First Dates. But even Drew Barrymore can't solve everything. She was also in Blended, which is not a great Adam Sandler movie. Sandler said he had to rewrite Happy Gilmore two following the death of Carl Weathers, who appears as Chubbs in the original. Sandler said, we had a painful change. Carl Weathers had a massive part. I would talk to Karl and we were excited, and then Carl passed away. We had to rewrite a lot of the stuff and even what the story was. We made a lot of nice references to how great Chubbs was in the movie. That was the biggest change in the first version that we came up with. He had a son. He was coming back to me a lot in my dreams, and he had a son who was mad and happy for causing the death of Daddy. This had been announced to before Colbert Gate. I assume it is still going on. It is a fundraiser to help pets come enjoy a night of stand up and tail wags at Boris and Horton, a dog friendly cafe in Manhattan's Lower east Side. The lineup features six stand up comics who doubles daily show writers Ashton Womack, Joe Opio, Kat Radley, Nicole Conlin, Matt Koff and randall Otis. The benefit is being co organized by Must Love Dogs and Comedy, a group known for curating inclusive, pet friendly comedy events. The Sport Animal Welfare Out Today, James Fritz, New Comedy album Old Man Yells at Crowd, I Feel You and I Love the title out on a Special Thing Records. Dames recorded it in Chicago, where he was once named best stand Up by the Chicago Reader. Taking the stage at the Lincoln Lodge, You shared his thoughts about dating a witch, de's at getting of aasectomy, working as a TA, his dead mom, and his dad's questionable behavior at the funeral. That is your comedy news for today. If you enjoy the program and I feel like the last two weeks been pretty strong, please tell a friend about it, help grow this thing, and if you would like the program without commercial interruption link in the show notes. If you're on Apple podcast It, click that batter that says uninterrupted listening. I'll see tomorrow.