Speaker 1: So, Yoseph, it's my understanding. Isn't next week it?
Speaker 2: Yes? I got ten more days left and then you go back. I do forever. Yes, I'll be back as a tourist someday. Yeah.
Speaker 3: Wait, so what is the how long have you been here?
Speaker 2: Nine and a half years?
Speaker 3: Has it really been that long? Yep?
Speaker 1: Yeah so, And I'm trying to remember the last time we talked to Yosef, we were trying to illegally marry him to stay in the country.
Speaker 4: And then we thought that's probably not a good thing to say on the air.
Speaker 3: The yeah, but it would still have been good to do.
Speaker 1: The Now remind now for for for remind me real quick, when you first came here nine and a half years ago, what did you What did you come here for?
Speaker 2: To get my bachelor's degree?
Speaker 1: Right?
Speaker 2: I did that at American at American right?
Speaker 3: And where's home? Quait kuwait, Dad's right, that's right. And so you came here.
Speaker 1: For to get your your your bachelor's uh huh?
Speaker 2: And then you you start when did you start working here? That was after my master's. So I did my bachelor's and then worked for a year. International students can work for a year after each degree, right, and then went back to Quick got a new visa and came back here did my master's and then worked at iHeart.
Speaker 3: Where did you work in that year? PetSmart?
Speaker 1: Oh?
Speaker 3: Did you really at the pet's hotel? That PetSmart? Oh?
Speaker 1: And then you went and then you went back to Kuwait yep, got another visa we knewed you, right, student, and then came back and got your masters yep, a au as well.
Speaker 3: Right, And then you started working here? Correct? And how long did you work here? A year? That was it?
Speaker 2: Honestly ten months? Technically?
Speaker 3: Yeah?
Speaker 2: I started in October and left in August.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 1: And the one and so that's when we talked to you, was when the end of those ten months were coming up, correct, because we were trying to figure.
Speaker 3: Out why you couldn't stay. And then we learned that iHeart wouldn't sponsor you.
Speaker 2: Yeah, or any company, honestly, any company. I've applied to so many places, and okay, but how about the one you were working at? Right?
Speaker 1: Well, Well, what other places are you going to ask? Well, well, you know what, there's a CC's Pizza down the rock Pike, I'll ask them.
Speaker 2: I'm just doing sponsor you right, yeah, no, I just don't want to slowly blame.
Speaker 3: But if a company is going to sponsor you, it would be the one you're working for.
Speaker 1: Of course they need to Yeah, I get to know. I can't just no. If not, you may as well just go knock on door. You may as well go next door to Mervis and ask you although you know what that idea.
Speaker 3: You don't want to.
Speaker 5: If you don't want to blame my heart, this is the wrong show. Have you heard the host?
Speaker 3: Why? Yeah? No, But I mean it's fine, and you asked.
Speaker 2: I think, oh, yeah, for sure. I do want to mention that they tried. You know, people here, Alison, they tried.
Speaker 3: There's a work visa. Well you say they tried. Do you think they tried hard enough?
Speaker 2: At least they give it, They gave it a shot. I mean, you know when I worked at PetSmart, they made it clear from the beginning, we don't do sponsorships right where like.
Speaker 1: When you apply name Joseph, who wait, we don't know, No.
Speaker 3: That's hard.
Speaker 5: Policy is racial profile.
Speaker 2: I do want to make it clear that when you come here as a student, your sole purpose should be to be a student. When you come here as a tourist. You need to have a return ticket when you come here as a work He's that you know, with the second year contract finishes, you need to leave. So I never want to make it sound like I want to live here because that you want to live here. No, that means you're showing intent. And the last thing you want to do is show intent that no. No, But what I'm saying you would like to stay. Yes, you can say that that's fine. Well yeah, but I came here as a student and that was my goal.
Speaker 3: I just like Wave Christie no man.
Speaker 5: Surprise as the one with the hat and extensions white hat, right, yeah, the Okay, So so you you go back to kuwait and you say I want to go get my masters, and they.
Speaker 3: Say here, you go go on over.
Speaker 1: So you come back over right, and then you and you got your masters, and then you worked here for ten months?
Speaker 3: Yeah, and then and then but then, That's what.
Speaker 1: I was saying. So at that point we were trying to figure out how do we get to keep you? Yes, And I remember applaying for PhD, got rejected. I tried again another year, another college rejected again, which is fine.
Speaker 3: Wait, you got rejected from a PhD twice.
Speaker 4: Yep, so says the guy who did how many weeks in school?
Speaker 3: But I trying to stay here.
Speaker 5: I live here, birthrate citizenship because yes he is Canadian, as you know, Elliott is Canadian.
Speaker 3: Right, well both I'm dual. I'm dual.
Speaker 1: Thank you the the so you you you applied for PhD and you got two no's.
Speaker 3: Yep.
Speaker 2: I tried two different years, two different schools, and it didn't work out. So I put myself through Mason to get a certificate.
Speaker 3: Wait, what is that?
Speaker 2: It's just a one year It's kind of like a condensed condensed, compressed degree, so right, it just takes less time, it's cheaper less classes. So I did that for a year right after my art job, and then that ended, so that was time for me to leave. And then I put myself another s and just like that, another year has passed. And so how long since any intent? I'm never going to be allowed back to don't worry about intent. I'm not picking up any intent.
Speaker 3: Fives.
Speaker 2: No, I was actually curious about their certificates. But it's just you know, the years have passed, and yeah.
Speaker 3: I was so curious. I got four How long? How old he got two.
Speaker 5: Yeah, he was by curious.
Speaker 3: How how how old? How old are how old are you?
Speaker 2: Nineteen ninety six?
Speaker 1: So twenty eight, twenty eight, Oh my god, dude, get out of school.
Speaker 3: Hey man, it's his COVID year. That's right. So the so there's no more certificates to get.
Speaker 2: No, it's over my parents, Yeah, clearly.
Speaker 1: But the but now what did your did your parents? But your parents wanted you to come home a long time ago, oh.
Speaker 2: For sure, yeah, yeah, yeah, especially my mom. There was a period when she was just upset.
Speaker 3: But yeah, now the what happens to the what she wasn't just upset? You guys weren't talking for a bit.
Speaker 2: Like yeah, but I understand that I'm not a parent, so I can't say I could, you know, relate, So I don't know what it's like.
Speaker 3: So what was your what was your Elliott? What you would be upset with?
Speaker 4: Wait, which part of your child was all the way around the world.
Speaker 5: They have every right to be, you know, nine years you'd be upset. You want them to live with you forever.
Speaker 3: Yes, but it's a little bit. Have you seen your parents.
Speaker 1: And not other than when you went back to renew your Kuwaiti visa.
Speaker 2: That was the last time you haven't seen when? How long ago was that?
Speaker 3: Four years ago? You haven't seen your parents in four years?
Speaker 2: My dad, my mom, and sister were in town two years.
Speaker 4: Ago, Okay, two years back off, Still a long time.
Speaker 3: That's a long time though.
Speaker 2: I am very very close to all of my family aunts, uncles, cousins from both sides of the family and so yes, and at this point I've lost all my grandparents. But I do want to make it clear that we did you lose them the time?
Speaker 3: Did you? Did you lose them while you were here?
Speaker 2: Two of them? Yes, and then two have gone.
Speaker 3: Like a long time ago. The two that died while you were here.
Speaker 2: Did you go backs make me feel guilty?
Speaker 3: No, I didn't because it wasn't let me back in that.
Speaker 5: Jones was going to mention that and stirred up for that.
Speaker 2: That's his only role away sitting here. Joseph's life story. My mom's mom passed during COVID So this is you could have gotten anyway.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Sure, my dad's mom was recently and it was exact times it was literally if I know.
Speaker 3: Oh for the for your certificate.
Speaker 2: And the sad part is that she asked a lot about me apparently really and was like when is he coming back to work?
Speaker 3: So that well, very sad pretty soon. The now what during the time that you were here?
Speaker 1: The but then remind me, like, your dad owns a condo in Tyson, correct, right? So what which is where you've been living this sweet ass house?
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, I can't complain.
Speaker 3: The does it have a rooftop pool? What was Kristin telling me? Kristen went, Kristin and Joseph went swimming.
Speaker 2: And Mike, oh and the other Mike and missus just oh.
Speaker 3: Very good? Is the pool nice? I mean it's like a beach there is. I wouldn't even call it a pool. What why why did your dad have the apartment here?
Speaker 2: His dad got it for him around seventy eight when he was a student here. Oh okay, yeah, so that's why. And then different family members have been using the fat throughout the years, right the nineties when you're can be equid and I had family members come and live here for a while, and yeah, I had a cousin who did a PhD right before my time here, and she.
Speaker 3: Used it and she used it, right, So what happens to it.
Speaker 2: Now it stays ooccupied. No, no one's gonna use it. I may there more than you, of course.
Speaker 3: Thank you. That's right.
Speaker 5: So Monday the fourteen tickets to The Little Mermaid Summer of Loud, and we're giving away an apartment.
Speaker 3: Now when you go back to when when do you have to leave? Leave? Not the Sunday, but next next Sunday. Dude, are you bumming? What are you gonna do during your last week?
Speaker 2: I've been an emotional wreck. I'm not going to stand here in my tears face. Have you really There's been a lot of tears and snots behind the closed doors. Yes, yeah, I'm not making that up, but you know I'm acting tearful.
Speaker 1: The no, No, that's okay. But so but I mean, you've got one week left. Yeah, well you're not going to just sit in the apartment and crying you get out? Yeah?
Speaker 2: No, of course I will be seeing him a few more times.
Speaker 3: Olive Garden.
Speaker 4: You do it before you live, leave the country.
Speaker 1: When you when you think of the stuff that you've done here over nine years?
Speaker 3: What where is what like?
Speaker 1: What what rises to the top other than get an education?
Speaker 3: Off?
Speaker 2: I was just in to say my first answer should be a degree. But concerts as a music clever and a kid, a little boy, and Quid who grew up, you know, listening to Brittany and I never ended in a million years think that I would get to see that. So that means the world to me. I know it's not something silly, but we don't have that back home.
Speaker 3: So there's no, there's no. I've never been to Kuwait.
Speaker 2: We got Arab pop stars coming in, right, but their family is regional. It's not international, you know.
Speaker 1: So there's like Aerosmith's never playing no Kuwait.
Speaker 2: Although Jala is coming to abudabulated this month and I'll be there.
Speaker 1: But okay, but that that's Abu Dhabi, right, Yeah, that's fine. I understand an hour and a half. Yeah no no, but I get that. But to Kuwait specifically, nothing.
Speaker 3: No, no.
Speaker 2: With the exception of Arab stars, yeah no international wow.
Speaker 3: So I get that.
Speaker 1: And and and Joseph any anytime there was gonna be like somebody like a band at the station, Yoseph would come up.
Speaker 3: But I get that. You love music and so a chance to be around it is great, all rights? What else?
Speaker 2: What else other than cause it's people? I mean, I'm that sounds kind of cheesy, but people everybody have met here, and also the general lifestyle. Something as simple as hopping on the Metro and going to the grocery store like brings me joy, whereas in Quit like driving lunatics are everywhere. I mean, there's car accidents every single out of the day. I don't even like driving. So just yeah, the basics, honestly so.
Speaker 1: But you could get in a car and go to a grocery store.
Speaker 2: No I can't. Yeah for sure. Yeah. I got my license in Quid before I got it here. But it's just did you get a license? Did you use your KUWAITI one, No. If you're a student or a work visa, I think it's required for you to have a local Oh really yeah, if I'm not mistaken, international works, if your international license works.
Speaker 1: If you're a tourist, right yeah, if you're just visiting, yeah, yeah, no that I get that. I get What is there anything you did where you were like, yeah, I probably shouldn't have done that. I'm thinking of something very specific for you.
Speaker 3: Go ahead. Please, didn't you get like your nuts waxed?
Speaker 2: That did happen? I was thinking of sending this audio Cliff to my parents.
Speaker 5: But so much for that?
Speaker 3: Would they be We will edit it.
Speaker 2: It's a very taboo subject where I'm from. But we don't talk about that stuff.
Speaker 3: Wait, you don't talk about like your penis?
Speaker 2: Oh for sure?
Speaker 3: Not No, the penis, Elliott, you know this? Why why would I know that?
Speaker 4: It's a very conservative society.
Speaker 1: No, I understand it's conservative publicly, but but in your own house, I think it should be Yeah something, I mean, listen, I can vouch that your mom and dad have had sex. Yeah, exactly, exactly, so I would think publicly like there's probably not a radio host in kuwait asking about your your testicles?
Speaker 3: But the but no, I but behind closed doors?
Speaker 2: I agree?
Speaker 3: Yeah, thank you?
Speaker 5: But so where does that agreeing as an agent of change? He's not agreeing it goes on.
Speaker 3: No, he's agreeing it goes on behind closed doors.
Speaker 2: Yes, sure that was convincing.
Speaker 1: Yeah, but was that was that up there with the things where you were like, I don't ever need to do that again.
Speaker 2: That was the most painful experience ever. I'm not exaggerating it felt. Did you end up doing that? You know, no one's seen me naked. It wasn't someone asked me to do it. You know, I'm not sleep figure out it was just for me hygienic purposes. I just want to try it, right, So I just went ahead and it was just the one time thing, yolo, right. I guess maybe I was trying to rebel in some way. I don't know against what internally of just my situation of wanting to say or can't.
Speaker 3: I don't know.
Speaker 2: I don't know what it is.
Speaker 4: You know what doing something a little crazy?
Speaker 3: Yeah, I want to stay. I can't watch this get rid of my hair? Wait, but did you just say? Was that the first person that has seen you.
Speaker 2: Naked other than doctors? Yeah?
Speaker 3: Wow, Oh that's right.
Speaker 1: Did we want you to hook up with Casey also as part of the marriage.
Speaker 2: She's like my sister.
Speaker 5: Yeah, it was just about consummation. Legally it was important.
Speaker 1: Well, I'm going to miss you like christ Yes, I hate that you're I hate that you're leaving.
Speaker 3: I wish you could stay.
Speaker 2: I never asked for this chapter ten, you know, but I'm kind of being forced out of it. But life is unpredictable. We can't expect and assume things. So I've accepted reality.
Speaker 1: So what do you do when you get back there, what are you going to do other than JLO.
Speaker 3: Well that's the only thing I currently have.
Speaker 4: That the only thing on my schedule right now.
Speaker 2: No, but like so when you get back to search, which, by the way, I have been applying for months now. It's just things are not run remotely back home. You need in person attendance, Like you can't just sit home and apply on line.
Speaker 3: No, there's no, there's no like LinkedIn or we do have LinkedIn.
Speaker 2: It's just I don't even know why they put the job positions if they're not going to hire that way and quit. Unfortunately, if you don't have connections, if you don't have a very strong reference of someone working in the company, you're likely to not just not get the job. Oh really, yeah, you do need to know someone. I don't want to batmanth my country though I do.
Speaker 1: No, no, no, But that doesn't sound that you're just sounds like you're just saying that's how it works. That's okay, Yeah, what is the what is the like? What kind of job? I mean, I feel like you've got forty five degrees like time? What kind of job are you trying to get?
Speaker 2: My main passion and interest is the entertainment world media, whether it's film, television, radio, behind the scenes obviously, I don't want to like, oh no.
Speaker 3: You should be a Why don't you be a disc jockey in Kuwait?
Speaker 2: Oh no, No, I don't like the spotlight. I don't like public speaking. You know, well you guys do ignore it?
Speaker 3: Good so but do they? But but there's radio, there is TV we do.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, I'm gonna apply there. Not that I haven't tried yet, but yeah.
Speaker 3: Did you apply? And did you apply for a job at the radio station?
Speaker 1: Yeah?
Speaker 2: We got multiple ones. I've been trying.
Speaker 1: Well what did they tell you?
Speaker 2: Either never respond or just rejections.
Speaker 3: Rejections but they haven't even met you yet.
Speaker 2: Well you send in your resume though, and apply?
Speaker 3: Did you tell them that you worked here? God?
Speaker 1: Even a kuwait they hate iHeart, I get it, I get it. They're like, that's the that's the devil, the But no, I want you to get it one don't. Let's get you a job at the Kuwaiti radio station.
Speaker 2: That would be great again. I'd have to go there in person. Yeah, things are not run digitally.
Speaker 1: But when you say it's connections, like, does does this help?
Speaker 2: No? No, you need to know someone who works in that on the radio stage yeah yeah, yeah, yeah, or anywhere bank, anywhere, Like if I had an uncle, for example, working there, probably get at the.
Speaker 1: Bank, then you would get that, or somebody who works at But you don't know anybody that works at the radio station.
Speaker 2: None of my family members in the yeah media, And this day I can't think of.
Speaker 3: Nothing radio, nothing TV. Now that sucks.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that sucks. And also am I going to prioritize passion or finances? Like do I care more about salary or so that's also something to think. I wish it was the best of both worlds where I could mix both.
Speaker 1: But what is so? So that's what you'll do for work? So are you gonna go back and live with your parents?
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's very normal to live with your parents no matter. How do you get forty to fifty? Is it really you're unmarried? Yeah, and even when you get married. By the way, I have a cousin who they just built a floor another level on her childhood home and so.
Speaker 3: She lives up there.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 3: Is kuwait forget me for asking? Is kuwait an arranged marriage?
Speaker 2: No? No, you could choose who you want. Yeah, maybe. Back in the day it used to be.
Speaker 1: Right, so, but now it's anymore. You can go out and meet people and you.
Speaker 2: Can't date publicly though.
Speaker 1: You can't date publicly, but you can date privately. Sure, no, no, I'm asking no, But it's not like if it's not an arranged marriage.
Speaker 2: It's twenty twenty five. Yeah, but my household, we're quite traditionalist.
Speaker 3: So your parents would have a problem. Do your parents want to arrange your marriage?
Speaker 2: I don't think so. No, they're not the type of parents who like, we have this girl or you.
Speaker 1: No, no, no, no, the way, but then you have to date, right, So here's how it worked.
Speaker 2: Let's say I'll use my sisters and as an exablation, she's married, No, she's not. I just have one something. Let's say she meets someone at work and the guy likes her. The guy would find my mom's number. Because quid is so tiny, you can you know, easily find that, and then the family would come together too. Families arrange a meeting, and based off of that meeting, you know, you could have other meetings, get engaged or just drop things. So the family is involved.
Speaker 3: Right.
Speaker 2: But yeah, and then when you get engaged to my knowledge, you can't really hang out just one on one. There has to be a third party involved, whether it's a friend, a cousin, and sibling. So technically, the first time you're ever ever alone alone is your wedding nights, is when you get married.
Speaker 1: Yeah, but now is that like when you said, like he would if you're if using your sister, Yeah, and at work there's somebody and he would find your mom? Is that because is that because of your family or is that just because, like you said, your family's pretty conservative. So is that just because of your family or is that kind of how it it runs?
Speaker 2: I want to say it's a cultural thing. It's a traditional thing, so that amongst all households, I got youa. But again we're in twenty twenty five. Maybe some families do it differently. Now, yeah, I'm sure there's people dating. I mean who would know?
Speaker 1: Yeah, no, I listen, I agree, And even if even if it was underground, you know it's going on, right, Yeah, So do you or do you look forward to that when you get over there?
Speaker 2: No? No, no, that's not on my that's not on your list.
Speaker 1: No, but you do, I mean, eventually you want to meet somebody maybe.
Speaker 2: Yeah. I like the idea of marriage growing old with you know someone.
Speaker 3: But yeah, no, it's pretty awesome.
Speaker 2: Yeah yeah, and I'm sure I'll change my mind because as of now it's no. But you know I'm open.
Speaker 3: Once you get there, right, once you get set up?
Speaker 1: How will we contact you?
Speaker 2: You know, don't give your phone number out, No, I want to know I message. If you're not iPhone, I may not be able to so if you're an Android or something, because I'm gonna switch my like put an equity chip number.
Speaker 3: So oh, I got you, but we got We use.
Speaker 2: WhatsApp where I'm from. That's okay, and Facebook Messenger that works too.
Speaker 3: All right, very good? Any any parting words for oh who?
Speaker 2: I do have a few thank yous, But well before we get to the thank yous?
Speaker 1: Who who at the built in the building, will you be like, thank god I never have to see them again?
Speaker 3: Good question, Thank you.
Speaker 2: I thought you were going to ask me who I'm gonna miss the most.
Speaker 1: I may, but right now I want to know who you'll miss the least, and Jones will answer for you if you choose to remain in silence.
Speaker 2: I know, honestly, no one. I love the bosses, the salespeople, the programmers, the DJs, the promo team. I swear to God, there's nobody I can think of that I Jones.
Speaker 3: I don't know about that, all right. And you wanted to you had that you wanted to do. Yeah, are you gonna cry? Don't cry?
Speaker 5: I'm sorry.
Speaker 2: Oh you're talking to Yosef all right, go ahead, go ahead. I will never take this for granted, ever, ever, ever. This is the fourth time that you've had me on your show, and so I so appreciate you. Seriously. I boud down to you. I'll miss you so much.
Speaker 3: No, that's very kind. That's very kind. I will say this.
Speaker 1: Joseph whenever he comes up to the radio station, comes up, gives me a great big hug.
Speaker 3: No, no, it's very nice. It's very very nice. Oh wait, I'm sorry I interrupted you.
Speaker 2: And then Tyler, I'll miss our quick five to ten minute chats. Every time I come to the office. I always come in and you're busy working, but you always stop what you're doing to talk to me. So thank you for acknowledging my existence.
Speaker 3: Thank you.
Speaker 1: And by the way, five to ten minutes is more than he would give ninety nine percent of the people in here. Absolutely, I haven't talked to Tyler that long in our twenty years of knowing each other.
Speaker 3: All right, I'm sorry, I interrupted.
Speaker 2: And then Diane, I'll never forget my last day at work, she came to me, wrote her number and said, any time you need anything, just let me know. And so that meant the world to me. I'm so I appreciate it of you for doing that. Kristin. You're the reason I'm here. You're the one who taught I told about my student visa situation. So she's just such a caring person. Every time I see her, she's always telling me, you know, update me, have you figured it out? Have you figured out a way to stay here? So just thank you for being thoughtful and such a life of person on this year. And then this guy right here, he is the batman to my Robin. He means the world to me. He's one of those rare people in my life whom I could sit beside in silence, like we don't even have to talk, and that's my happy place. I'm content. He made me feel that he is and just he has this gift of making everyone around him feel comfortable. And I still remember the first time I ever met him was actually behind this wall, and the second time and him, I remember that. And the first stuffe we ever took was at DC one Orrendoland. You made me wear your hat. I still have that picture. So just yeah, thank you for being there for me, and thank you to this country. America has embraced me since day one, dating all the back, all the way back to twenty ten when I first came here as a tour so fifteen summers ago. So thank you for welcoming me with open arms. I never felt like a stranger here and the States really just there's a sense of belonging here. I felt like I belong So thank you for that. And yeah, a lyric that I would like to sign off with is in the name of Simple Minds. Don't you forget about it? Please, because I won't forget you. But I'm just scared that I'll come back here and you guys have no idea why.
Speaker 3: Am oh, I trust me, we won't be here familiar.
Speaker 5: I like Jennifer Lopez cute uppes.
Speaker 3: Well, dude, I'm glad that you were able to come in.
Speaker 1: Of course, the like we're we're gonna be on vacation next week, but I wanted to make sure that we could say goodbye to you before we left. So it was, it was, It was very nice, and don't you forget about us.
Speaker 3: It doesn't have the same ring.
Speaker 1: To it, and it doesn't and it's not as newly as nice as everything you said.
Speaker 5: Remember it's an eighties weekend watch. Probably, I don't know if that's true.
Speaker 3: All Right, very good, Joseph, thank you very much.
Speaker 2: Offen