Speaker 1: Dark Cast Network. Indie pods with a dark side.
Speaker 2: Dark Cast Network come to the Dark Side of podcasts.
Speaker 3: We have cookies, wookers, love cookers. Hey, they're Rainbow Warriors.
Speaker 2: I'm CJ host to Beyond the Rainbow True Crimes of the lgbt My episodes focus on crimes committed by and against the LGBTQ community. I've covered cases you probably have heard of, such as Matthew Shepherd, Brandon Tina, and the Orlando Pulse nightclub massacre, as well as some lesser known cases like the murder of Ray Haynish, the Australian gay beat murders, and the suspicious disappearance of Lisa Lynne Stone. I cover cases brought to me by listeners like Penny Brummer, who I believe was wrongfully convicted, taboo cases such as lesbian corrective rape and murder in South Africa, and pray the gay away camps. I discuss gay serial killers, women who pretend to be men to hook up with other women, and trans murders. I'm opinionated and uncensored. I know I'm not everyone's cup of tea, but surely I'm someone shot at tequila. No matter what your gender or orientation in life might be. Please join me as I tackle rainbow crimes in search of unicorn justice. Remember, it's not a crime to be gay unless you're a murderer.
Speaker 1: On his ways. Devil is on his way.
Speaker 3: Devil is on his way.
Speaker 1: Mother, the devil gonna.
Speaker 3: Make you pay. Fall to your knees.
Speaker 1: Devil is on his way. Fall to your knees. Devil gonna make you pay, fall to your knees. Devil.
Speaker 3: Hey, y'all, welcome back to Mountain murderss on Heather.
Speaker 1: And I'm dealing. Hey, Hey, what's up girl?
Speaker 3: How's it going?
Speaker 1: Doing good?
Speaker 3: Happy Mayday?
Speaker 1: Yeah, May Day, May Day.
Speaker 3: This podcast has been going down for a while.
Speaker 1: I've been waiting all year for that May the Fourth be with You memes. They're coming soon, right, Yeah, May the Fourth be with you?
Speaker 3: And then justin Timberlake, it's kinda be May.
Speaker 1: And then directly after that, of course, is Cinco Demayo, right, a reason to have some great drinks and celebrate together.
Speaker 3: We had our first date in the month of May. It's true, so it's a very special month. It reminds me of all the bad choices I've made in life.
Speaker 1: Oh, that's so sweet.
Speaker 3: You're welcome, You're welcome. Happy may Day. I see you're wearing your festive flower crown. Of course you've been dancing out in the yard. You built yourself a little like may pole. You've been wrapping ribbon around it. It's cute. I mean you're by yourself out there doing this, but you know it's adorable. I'm glad you're getting into it.
Speaker 1: And for the people unfamiliar, what is a may pole?
Speaker 3: It's a big pole, Dylan, what do you mean? What is it? It's a freaking pole. It's a decorated pole and people dance around it and then they crown a may queen.
Speaker 1: Okay, it's like.
Speaker 3: A fertility ritual that dates back to the Pagans and European Pagans.
Speaker 1: The Pagans were very concerned with fertility.
Speaker 3: The Pagans was fucking that, right, nothing wrong.
Speaker 1: With that in front of the old gods.
Speaker 3: Well, sometimes you gotta have a witness, all right.
Speaker 1: So here we are in the Mount Murder studio. We are so glad to be back. I've been dragging around not feeling well, haven't been able to record with my beautiful wife. So here I made us late for you've been under the weather. Yeah, dragging around old people problems.
Speaker 3: Maybe you're like Vicky Sue Robinson and you're about to turn the bead around.
Speaker 1: As they say, up in the Holler, I've been dragging around like a mash cat. Yep, yeah, you sure have.
Speaker 3: Dylan, Well, we have a case that when I first heard of this case, it just I found it deeply disturbing. Okay, And it's been on my list for a while. Finally gotten around to covering it.
Speaker 1: Much like my kids. What do you mean it's on your list? Oh, it's a wish because your wish is on my left. I said, kiss, it is a kiss? No, is it? Just just leave that in. That's real, that's organic. Okay, this is why people tune in.
Speaker 3: I mean you are speaking on Holland Oates right.
Speaker 1: Yeah, because you're Is it because your kiss is on my liz?
Speaker 3: Yeah, because your kiss you wish? Where did that come from?
Speaker 1: He never says your wishes all Liz.
Speaker 3: No, never in the whole blasphemy never.
Speaker 1: Okay, just stop, all right.
Speaker 3: Stop okay. Ashley Chance was born on April twenty fifth, nineteen eighty six, in Somerville, South Carolina. Her parents Rama and Jimmy had five other children, some some were from previous marriages and then others from their current marriage. So growing up, Ashley was closed with their older sister, Brandy, and considered Brandy to be like her best friend. All Right, I have to say it as a single, like only child, you know, just the one of me should have been more of me, right, but just the one of me. I mean, I was always really envious of people, other people I knew my friends who had siblings really because they often work very close, and I guess I was always jealous, Like I really wish I'd had that kind of like companionship.
Speaker 1: We'll see. I've always wondered I had I had a sister growing up, and I've always wondered what it was like to be an only child. Some ways, I always thought it would be cool, like you get I guess from the outside looking in, you always have a kind of a rosy view of what it must be like, Like you get all the energy, the you know, all the presents and the attention.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I basically just got all the shit dumped on me.
Speaker 1: So there was only one target, so it was okay.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and my parents are both horrible people, and they hate me. So it was just it was not good and they were able to focus on said there had been another kid there, like maybe that kid could have caught some of the heat or something.
Speaker 1: I don't know, you could have had some human child.
Speaker 3: Yeah, okay, yeah, anyway, Yeah, so I always wanted a sibling.
Speaker 1: I think you wanted to weigh out, yet I did.
Speaker 3: I wanted to run away and join the cir.
Speaker 1: You wanted that, you know what you wanted. You wanted a fucking distraction so you could be out. Yes, all right, you summed it up, baby, Okay.
Speaker 3: Know me well. Sadly, Ashley's half sister, Jeanie, passed away when she was only eleven months old. Very tragic situation for this family.
Speaker 1: I can't even wrap my head around what that must be like. No, to lose lose a little one.
Speaker 3: My car goes out to parents who've lost a child of.
Speaker 1: Any age, let alone a little one, A little one. Yes.
Speaker 3: Somerville is northwest of Charleston, South Carolina's Low Country is a rapidly growing area. I see people all the time talking about Charleston, the traffic. It's kind of one of those places that's grown like almost overnight. It's like, in a short period of time, you have a lot of folks moving into the area.
Speaker 1: Well, yeah, the Port of Charleston there is very key to the economic growth of the entire state. I often entertain Heatherwoods stories of infrastructure and economic plans that are laid out over decades, and her eyes never glaze over. But the port leads to Inland Port, which is the railroad system, and it's very It doesn't surprise me that the area would boo be like a boon town, you know what I mean, because with all that work and industry, you're gonna have people flood in for the jobs. And you know what's strange about growth is I don't think anybody any area handles it perfectly because you don't know about all the different variables or things that are going to happen. You have to react. It's kind of hard to be proactive on growth when you're talking about hundreds of millions of dollars being spent on infrastructure, and it's just really frustrating for locals of any type in any area when it's beneficial, but at the same time is very frustrating when all of a sudden the place you grew up in all your life changes, it seems like overnight.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I've experienced this. It's very disheartening. And you know, Dylan and we might be able to afford those millions and billions in infrastructure if we would stop sending our money to other countries and to other people. But you know, hey, you can just vote for me on election day.
Speaker 1: And that's another for another podcast. But you know, so if let's say you got an old store, an old school or something that's been there all your life and it's torn down, it might make you sad in your heart.
Speaker 3: Definitely makes me sad to see that.
Speaker 1: But though yeah, the new person who just moved there sees that as a dangerous derelict property that's now it's turned into a Starbucks and they think that's a good thing. But then, and you know, the local if you will not view that in a completely different way.
Speaker 3: Absolutely, Yeah. I mean people aren't tied. They don't have the nostalgia and they don't have like the roots in the community and ties to the area to like appreciate the history of it, you know what I mean.
Speaker 1: Well, and I think that's where ownership comes in. Like you say, you're on your family's land, and y'all you've been there for generations, you know. Ten that nostalgia in that connection is something that we're really losing as a society.
Speaker 3: Absolutely well, we're losing a lot of shit as a society. Somerville is known as flower Town in the Pines, and I'm not sure what that means, but it sounds enchanting.
Speaker 1: It sounds like somewhere I would want to go if I was really high on weed.
Speaker 3: It's a picturesque small town with a walkable downtown area and the kind of place where residents sit on their porches drinking sweet tea. Hey, this place is going on my lot of where I want to end up. Okay, Okay, I want to sit on a big porch and drink sweet tea. Summers are hot and humid, but that's classic low country weather. It's close enough to enjoy everything the coast has to offer, but still like that small town bot. Oh sounds what I understand.
Speaker 1: Sounds perfect right.
Speaker 3: So Rainma described her daughter as a ray of sunshine who was always kind and gentle. She loved nature. Ashley was family oriented. According to her sister Brandy, She said Ashley was quote the best sister, Ashley married and started a family at a young age. She had two daughters, Caitlin and Hailey. With her husband. Ashley loved being a mom. She was described as a very loving parent and it broke her heart to discipline her kids or be strict with them.
Speaker 1: I like to hit the kids. I'm just kidding, stupid, No, I'm just kidding. No, it's tough when you have to always felt like you kind of had to lay the law down. You know, I'm not beat your kids or anything, but just I.
Speaker 3: Think thanks for clearing that up for us.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I'm not I'm not punching them. It's not close fisted, you know what I mean. I'm not a monster.
Speaker 3: You please stop. But you have to let people out there who think you're being serious.
Speaker 1: I have to lay down the law and you're really just teaching them actions and consequences, you know, in a way.
Speaker 3: It's true. But anytime I have had, like, you know, to get on to my kids for something, it does make me feel guilty or like kind of feel bad later, like well, maybe I shouldn't have said that, or you know, I mean, I think that's just normal for a lot of parents to feel a little bit guilty when you have to punish your kid.
Speaker 1: Well yeah, and you still have to act like the print stern parent, you know what I mean, go in the next room, yeah and kind of cry and cry or laugh about what they actually did, but you can't let them see that you're laughing about it.
Speaker 3: Yeah. Yeah. I don't have all the details, but Ashley's marriaged and last the divorce was just does messy. And let's be honest, I think the majority of divorces are messy.
Speaker 1: I really just think it's a messy scale and it's where you fall on that messy.
Speaker 3: It's like a spectrum of mess Yeah.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you got a little bit of mess over here in full blown, full gom a shit show.
Speaker 3: Yea a gomb it's a full on gom over on the other side of it. Now, after a period of you know, being single, she started dating again and that's when she met forty four year old John Mitchell Junior. Ashley was head over heels in love with John, and her mother would say he was the love of Ashley's life. Ashley and John had a son together, Aaron. Ashley lived with her mother but did plan to one day move in with John, so they're planning for the future. They're looking forward to building this life together, having a family.
Speaker 1: So she's already tried at love and struck out, if you will, and but now she's found the one. You know.
Speaker 3: Sometimes she takes you two or three times. Sometimes you gotta kiss.
Speaker 1: Some frogs, Dylan, you do, yeah to fine.
Speaker 3: Where you get before you get a Dylan.
Speaker 1: Before you get a frog, you can stand.
Speaker 3: You might get a few warts along the way, but you'll eventually find you one. Now, a year after their son was born, tragedy struck in January of twenty fifteen, John was in a terrible accident. His pickup truck collided with an eighteen wheeler and he died at the scene. Oh my god, this is like one of my top fears.
Speaker 1: You're literally terrified all the time when we're on the road.
Speaker 3: Well, yeah, I mean that's just because I'm probably like you know, I'm a little whack adoodle. But I do have this like very healthy fear of tractor trailers and probably because I come from a family of truckers and I know, you're talking like tons of weight and just crashing into a car like that's never gonna be a good thing.
Speaker 1: Yeah, See, I have a healthy respect for the laws of nature and physics, right, and machines and heavy equipment because I've been big tires, I've been around things like that and various capacities a lot in my life. And just when you're around machines that the human body won't even slow them down, you know, it just it would just mush you up and spit you out the other end and never miss a beat. It's scary.
Speaker 3: Well, like when the Griswold car, yeah, goes under the truck when they've gone to get the Christmas tree in the movie, and so Clark's like trying to like keep up speed and then eventually it's like he shoots out from under the truck. That the idea of being trapped under a truck like that, oh my god, Like it scares the shit out of me. It's like one of those weird, kind of irrational fears. It's probably never gonna happen, but it's always at the back of my mind. Yeah, that's why I just try to be really respectful of truckers and kind of keep my distance away. I don't understand these people who do these like erratic moves, bold moves around and cut in front of truckers and don't use a signal things like that, because bro, if they were to hit you or rearind you, you'll be fucked up.
Speaker 1: Well, and I don't understand as long as they're driving normally and safely, which they should obviously, I don't understand why people with annoyance around truckers or things like that, because it's literally the lifeblood of the country.
Speaker 3: It absolutely is, Dylan, And I'm not saying that John was like driving around or anything like that, but I'm just like, it's such a sad situation and to lose someone because that just seems like it's such a violent way to have a truck collide with like a big truck. I don't know.
Speaker 1: Oh no, it's terrible. Yeah, And an accident like that comes out of nowhere, and I'm sure it's very devastating.
Speaker 3: Well, actually was just emotionally demolished as she struggled with grief. She tried to maintain a brave face for her three children, but she was suffering from depression in the months following John's death. Her family says Ashley never fully recovered from the loss, like it was just one of those things that they kind of knew she would never get over this.
Speaker 1: Well, yeah, I mean I don't know how you do.
Speaker 3: Right, Well, yeah, losing the love of your life. I can't imagine something happened to you. I hate I would hate it.
Speaker 1: No, And it's just it's so sudden, right, I mean, it's almost you could almost compare it to someone being murdered.
Speaker 3: I would be I would be like on the dark Web trying to find like a necromancer to bring you back. Is there a pet cemetery where I can bury this man?
Speaker 1: You know what? And then, oh, I'm sorry, I was comparing a tragic accident to murder, and I was just talking about the suddenness of that is what I meant. I'm sure you know, murders a lot worse than ways.
Speaker 3: I wasn't even listening to you say that.
Speaker 1: But no, but if I came back from the pet cemetery and uh, but then you couldn't even note you didn't even notice, like a real change, because I'm still just like sitting there watching TV. Yeah, making noises.
Speaker 3: It's like a almost saw me grin. That sounds pretty normal. You make a lot of I've never been around somebody who makes so many many like grunting sounds, and you make a.
Speaker 1: Lot of noise. Yeah, I don't know why it matters.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I don't know.
Speaker 1: Well, hey, I don't make that.
Speaker 3: You make that noise in the bathroom, it's really loud.
Speaker 1: I don't scream, stupid dude. You No, it's usually when I'm hafting my body around.
Speaker 3: Scream bloody murder in the bathroom. I'm like, what is he doing in there?
Speaker 1: Just let me grind, dude, let me make my noises.
Speaker 3: Yeah, but I have to listen to it. And after a while I'm just like, well, you shut the fuck up with your noises. How many noises can you make? Stop? Okay, so you make me never want to be married again. I just just know if something happens to you like, I'm just done.
Speaker 1: That is the sweetest thing here. You're walcome, I ever said to me.
Speaker 3: Because I don't think I can tolerate any more grunting sounds. Oh, sound like a little hogrooting around in your mudhole. Now. By April, Ashley started dipping her toes into the dating world. She wasn't interested in sex or a long term commitment. Dating was more of a distraction from her feelings she could be in the moment, and let's be fair, I mean, dating is kind of exciting. You meet a new person, You're kind of nervous anticipation.
Speaker 1: You get to tell your best stories again and get the first time reaction.
Speaker 3: You never know like how it's going to go along the way. You might meet some duds, but then you could end up like making a new friend. And that's the thing. I don't think Ashley was looking for that long term commitment, but she just kind of wanted to find some adults to hang out with.
Speaker 1: You know, It's funny for me because people often talk about the excitement of, you know, meeting someone for the first time, or say the first as time y'all are intimate or on all these things. And you know, honestly, for me, I like the energy and everything after. I like the long term. I like when you really get to know someone. That's the part I savor more so than the beginning because in the beginning for me, it just feels awkward and weird and embarrassed, you know what I mean? Yeah, I remember, I know if I'm saying. For me, I like the connection after all that, but I remember.
Speaker 3: The first time and how awkward it was.
Speaker 1: That's it's okay, But a lot of people enjoy the excitement of the very first or whatever, but I like, I don't as much.
Speaker 3: You don't enjoy that? Well, no, I think you just like you like comfort and predictability.
Speaker 1: Yeah, okay, right, I think you're right.
Speaker 3: You like the feel of like a good, solid, old shoe that's broken in.
Speaker 1: Yeah, because I know if I take a long walk in that old shoe, were going to be okay, see exactly.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, I know you baby, like a back of my fucking hand. Well. You know, I don't want to judge Ashley, but it does seem very soon to start putting yourself out there. I mean, John passed away in January and she starts kind of getting on these apps in March talking to people, and by April she's going on a few dates. And like I said, I don't want to judge her, but that just seems really soon for me, like for me personally. And I know everyone grieves differently. I don't know.
Speaker 1: I think a lot of people would view that as maybe quote unquote soon too.
Speaker 3: Soon, not really giving yourself time to process your feelings.
Speaker 1: But I was going to say, I think that's maybe what it is, like she's having trouble and she's literally trying to distract herself from the situation.
Speaker 3: I mean, that's what it was. Ashley began exploring dating apps. She was pretty with dark hair, kind of a girl next door, wholesome look, and it's not surprising she got a lot of attention on these apps. She very cute girl. Ashley received many messages from men online, and she responded to a few of them. Mostly, these conversations were casual, with lines like you're cute, I like your profile. Let's grab a drink.
Speaker 1: Do you like my picture with my fish?
Speaker 2: Yes?
Speaker 1: Okay, it's a big fish.
Speaker 3: Nothing too serious. A few of these dates turned out to be pleasant for Ashley. She met some nice guys and had a good time, but the more time she spent chatting and dating, she realized it was kinda eh. It's mid Some guys were good, others were like totally shitty and I don't know about to tell you a story, Dylan, of one of these shitty dates that she went on. Okay, because this is just outrageous.
Speaker 1: Now, this reminds me of a listener story we had where she believe this is something that's real. Remember why our listener story. She went to the guy's house to like watch a movie, and he was like sniff, sniff fucking what did she say, sniff fucking her head?
Speaker 3: Yeah, he kept sniffing her.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and he was like curled up on her on the She was.
Speaker 3: Like two feet taller than him, and he was her point, she said, she stood up and like his little tiny body just like flilled.
Speaker 1: She sat him, like sat him off of her. It was like, I'm gonna go, Okay, we got.
Speaker 3: To dig back in the archives because I do remember the story. It was quite entertaining.
Speaker 1: It was the best, all right.
Speaker 3: So Ashley and we're gonna talk a bit about online dating here in a minute, kind of dive into that a bit. But actually went on a date with this guy named Kyle who invited her to a friend's party. Now you got to consider she's twenty eight, she has three kids, and she hasn't been to a party, like a house party in a long time. So she thought it sounded fun. And it was a typical house party as you would imagine. There were guests around her age. Everybody's drinking, socializing, kind of getting to know each other. I'm imagining there's probably like music playing, maybe some finger foods. You never know.
Speaker 1: Oh, I was like, wow, I didn't know where you're going with that. But you know, there's so many layers to a party.
Speaker 3: What were you thinking when I said maybe there's some finger you were thinking like there's some fingering going around.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I'm sorry. I was just like, wow, this party is kind of its kind of out of control. You know, everybody's just getting finger banged in the front room.
Speaker 3: Are you accustomed to getting fingered when you go to a party?
Speaker 1: Dealing? No? But what's fun about party?
Speaker 3: Kind of parties have you've been attending?
Speaker 1: What's fun about parties is it's like you got the regular party, just like the basic part.
Speaker 3: And then you got the finger party.
Speaker 1: You got the fingering room. But then you have all these like factions amongst the partiers, Like you'll have the the ones who uh, the ones who are doing like hard drug. You know, you can always spot them because they're kind of creeping off together. You see them coming out of the bathroom.
Speaker 3: You know, it's not the kind of party I don't weird?
Speaker 1: Yeah no, but you know what I'm talking about, and you can you can kind of see the dramas playing out.
Speaker 3: My friends are all pure a snow.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you can see the dramas. Maybe maybe somebody's getting.
Speaker 3: Mad or something that sounds like a party when you're like twenty Oh okay, okay, that doesn't sound like an adult party to me. But then again, you know, I haven't been to like an adult party in a hot minute.
Speaker 1: I haven't been to any parties.
Speaker 3: That's not true. I had. We had a birthday party for you. It was just like the two of us and rufus.
Speaker 1: You know, you just talk, it's special for you. You just talking about going her going to a party is making me like, I'm just tired, and I'm wondering how long we're gonna have to be there, and if you know, I'm just when can we leave? God? What happened?
Speaker 3: Happened to me? I'm just kind of so, I'm so awkward and I have a really hard time making small talk with people. And I've said that before. I mean, it's I just don't know how to do it, and I'm very awkward. So I end up saying like bizarre shit that people just stare at me, like what is she? Who is this fucking person? Right? No.
Speaker 1: But what's funny is people don't realize this about you because you actually fake being really good at small talk.
Speaker 3: I'm a social fucking butterfly.
Speaker 1: But it's funny.
Speaker 3: It's all a lie.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I know, I know. I learned early on. I was like, oh, she's not really like that. But it's funny because it turns that you almost interviewing them in like not a formal way, but you really get a lot of information out of it, and you really get people talking about themselves, which is you know, and people like and I'll just watch you do this thing backgrounds but I know, and everybody's like, oh, she's so cool, you know, and everybody's like, oh, yeah, she's so cool. But I know that it's literally just draining you, like your social battery is being tact.
Speaker 3: That's why I like to ask people about themselves because I know people love to talk about themselves.
Speaker 1: And then you don't have to talk about it, and then they spend.
Speaker 3: The majority of the time talking and I just have to listen. And that's fine. I'm a good listener. I don't mind listening, and you know, everybody's got a story, so I do fine. I like to talk to people and get like into the meat of their background. But it goes from like being really awkward and making small talk to finding out like when they lost their virginity or something. You know.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I've always had people like tell me personal shit like off the rid.
Speaker 3: Oh man, I don't know why I've got like that face. I got to people just walk up to me or like I have a horrible hemorrhoid, and I'm like, well, fuck, that sucks.
Speaker 1: Well I've always called it. I have a big ear. It's like people just want to lay it on, you know, for whatever reason.
Speaker 3: I think they just look at me and they're like, this dumb bitch needs to hear about my hemorrhoid.
Speaker 1: So she's excited about going to this party, right, right.
Speaker 3: So she's excited about this party. You know, it's a chance to meet some people, which is really what she's after to meet people and just have a good time enjoy herself. Now, at some point, Ashley offended another party guest over something minor, like tripping over his foot or maybe stepping on it. It was something that really should have been waved off, like no big deal, right, Yeah, things like this happen, but a confrontation ensued Ashley was not going to be disrespected by this guy, because at this point there's like name calling, you know, yelling. It sounds like this dude was a fucking psycho and you'll know why here in just a second. But she's like holding her own like, you're not gonna talk to me like that, so and so. Right, once things had blown over, Ashley made her way to the bathroom and this guy follows her. He pulls a gun on Ashley, holds it to her head and tells her she needs to get the fuck out.
Speaker 1: Like, where's her date at? What are we doing here?
Speaker 3: Yeah? Well that I have a lot of questions. She rushed to find her date, Kyle, so they could leave the party. And I'm like, bro, Kyle, who are your friends?
Speaker 1: Yeah? Where have you brought me?
Speaker 3: Who are I mean, who's gonna hang around with somebody that goes to this extreme?
Speaker 1: And why is he armed at a part?
Speaker 3: Why is your friend's psychotic? Yeah? I mean it's just insane. That's why I gotta stay strapped. Ladies. That's about the time that you, you know, you stick your thirty eight in his belly and be like you want to get grimy motherfucker list get grimy. We'll both die to day.
Speaker 1: You think Kyle got a second date.
Speaker 3: I don't think that he was her huckleberry. I don't. Once she was home, Ashley debated about reporting this incident to law enforcement, but decided it might just make matters worse. I don't know, girl, this, I mean, this is like a traumatic situation. I mean, this is something that like can cause you really have nightmares and be afraid.
Speaker 1: I don't know, well it is, but I understand from her point of view, she doesn't know these people. She doesn't know anything about them.
Speaker 3: I get it.
Speaker 1: She doesn't know how they're going to react. And at once you calm down and get away from it. You know, you're just relieve, You're just glad to be in that situation. Absolutely, just let it go.
Speaker 3: Brandy's sister, I mean, it's a Brandy sorry. Ashley's sister. Brandy mentioned that she was having a hard time in the months following John's death. Ashley was drinking, like maybe drinking more than usual, despite her mother's rules against it at home around the children. Brandy expressed concern about Ashley's drinking and some of the decisions she was making, like Brandy didn't feel like her sister was making the best choices, okay, and she told her so, like, I think you're drinking too much. Maybe you're not hanging around with the best people, making some bad choices. Maybe we need to reel it in a little bit.
Speaker 1: Well, yeah, it sounds like they're trying to give her some space, help her with the kids. But at the same time, you're always you're going to be worried. You know that she's been through this traumatic event and it's not been a lot of time, and I'm sure they're very concerned about how she's doing her mental health and all that.
Speaker 3: All of the things right, So a few weeks later, she meets a guy named Shane on a dating app and see school. They hit it off and they plan a camping trip together. Now, I don't know about a camping trip for like a first date. Yeah, you kind of learning the woods with a strange person. Well, when I was younger, maybe I would have been like, Oh, that sounds great, let's do that.
Speaker 1: If someone's really into camping, I could see maybe they're like, Oh, this is gonna be so fun, and it'll be fun. But I think that's an odd first date just because because campings I think you could describe as a fairly intimate setting.
Speaker 3: Is there some electricity? Does this place have showers? Ye's not gonna be like digging a hole and shitting in the woods.
Speaker 1: Well, there's a lot, there's no no.
Speaker 3: I'm not gonna be able to shower. I don't know.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it seems like a lot. You know, I'm gonna start a dating app. You know, I'm gonna call it in these jeans, in these jeens. Yeah, and instead of swiping right, you got the app and you're looking at matches, you unzip it. Dude, Hey, that is a million dollar ideas.
Speaker 3: Elia just told somebody. Ah, okay, So Ashley's mom agreed to babysit so she could go on this camping trip. And things were going well. They reached the woods, they set up their tent and whatnot. Shane goes into the tent and comes out a few minutes later, and he's heated. At this point, he accuses Ashley of stealing or hiding his wallet.
Speaker 1: What the hell?
Speaker 3: Well, you never know, maybe he's been on some bad dates as well. Maybe he's had someone steal his wallet. I mean, I've heard horror stories where guys are like, I met this girl, I go to pick her up. Her boyfriend and his buddies beat the shit out of me and rob me.
Speaker 1: Well, yeah, he just got rolled. But now it's like Ashley, she can't win, you know what I mean, And she's.
Speaker 3: Just having a really bad run of luck here. Now, Ashley didn't know anything about the wallet and told him so, but the man was angry and he's like, I'm ending this camping trip. I'm taking you home.
Speaker 1: Maybe we shouldn't have went camping, dude, what are we doing.
Speaker 3: Needless to say, Ashley had some issues with the men she was meeting on these dating apps. And dating apps can work, but a lot of people experience the same recurring problems, and just from like judging based on social media in twenty twenty six, it doesn't seem like online dating or dating apps is working for a lot of folks because most of the stories I hear are these kinds of horror stories, or they're just complaints about these apps or garbage.
Speaker 1: Well, yeah, people, it's almost like the whole scene has devolved.
Speaker 3: Yeah, well that's what they say. They're like, it's totally different from like five years ago, and.
Speaker 1: It's like it's not even about dating anymore. It's like just it's almost about interacting with each other through this app.
Speaker 3: It's just like an instant boost to your confidence. Yeah, this person match with me, Okay, they think I'm hot.
Speaker 1: Well, back in the day, you see someone, you meet someone or you know, you're friend's house. You like that girl or guy or whatever, and then you kind of, you know, work up the nerve to ask them out, you know, and it's a whole thing. And it can be an exhilarating experience, of course if they say yeah, and then you go on a date and it's a great date or whatever. But there's something weird about just pilfering through all these profiles and just you know, this just the way the apps are designed, right.
Speaker 3: Most apps are built around these quick swipes based on photos, height, age, and then like a short little bio and that can cause people to instantly overlook compatible matches who don't mark it well, just due to superficial judgment.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and I think a lot of the apps used to be much more involved.
Speaker 3: You would have questions, yeah, exactly, like.
Speaker 1: One hundred two hundred questions, and you like to.
Speaker 3: E harmony, ask you like all kinds of fucking questions.
Speaker 1: You know, I think it was much better or that their intention was to truly find you a match, and if not quickly, but in a reasonable manner. But now it's like they're not even concerned with finding you a match. They're just concerned with engagement. Would you continue to pay in your subscription v and all that mess?
Speaker 3: Yeah, because a lot of those apps back in the day, or those dating websites were free.
Speaker 1: Yeah, they didn't pay at all. No, and they just did. The revenue would be from ad revenue or something from you interacting with the site.
Speaker 3: Well, a lot of the complaints are people disappearing without explanation after they match or chat or even go on a date, and since accountability is low, ghosting is common. Misrepresentation, whether it's age, photos or intentions, can create distrust. This distrust because you go out on a date with somebody they look nothing like their photo photos ten years old.
Speaker 1: Have you ever ghosted someone?
Speaker 3: Yeah?
Speaker 1: Oh god, you did it a lot, didn't you.
Speaker 3: Well, it's just because I'm well, what, I'm an asshole, but also just because I'm like antisocial and it's not even really like I don't like this person. It's like I'm too like I'm too lazy, or just too like I'm too in. I'm too I like solitude, you know.
Speaker 1: What I mean. Okay, but it's like I don't know, so I go.
Speaker 3: I have to talk to this person.
Speaker 1: I don't know you don't you don't you just be like I'm just gonna ignore you and maybe you'll go away. I'm gonna go to the other end of spectrum. Instead of ghosting, I'm gonna go with stalking.
Speaker 3: Okay.
Speaker 1: Yeah, like everywhere every time you turn around there I am.
Speaker 3: You'll be watching.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I'm like, hey, like a police song. I didn't know you came to this move you. I didn't know you came to this grocery store.
Speaker 3: I'll be watching you like that, just like that. Oh man. Well, users often have different intentions. I mean like one person wants marriage, another person wants casual dating, maybe somebody who just wants simple validation and acts. Mix all these people together, well.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I see a problem with that. I see what you're saying. Because some people just want you, you know, adult interaction, some wanted very casual. Some are looking for the love of you know, a long term relationship.
Speaker 3: Want a person to text them like good morning, beautiful. Yeah, someone that's that's the extent of it.
Speaker 1: Some want the you know, hookup culture or whatever. So and you're just trying to sift through this thing to find something that works for you.
Speaker 3: I'm just looking for an uncurable STV. So who who's got it?
Speaker 1: I'm just looking for somebody to go on a road trip of about three to five hours with me.
Speaker 3: I'm looking for a case of the crabs. Do people still get the crabs? We talked about this once, but it just seems like such a seventies thing.
Speaker 1: I think that I'm surely they it still exis right.
Speaker 3: I don't never hear people talking about because I remember as a kid, I didn't know what that meant. But I would hear that term.
Speaker 1: That someone had yeah, or.
Speaker 3: Like I would hear you know, like teenagers or whatever saying, and I would be I didn't know what that meant.
Speaker 1: You think they were just because I.
Speaker 3: Remember one time asking an adult what that meant straight hand, I did it to me. But yeah, I don't ever hear people talk about that anymore. Have the crabs been eradicated?
Speaker 1: I don't. I don't know of any program to that actually set out to eradicate the crabs, like the.
Speaker 3: Shriners or the the American Legion. You know, they try to eradicate polio. Is there some civic organization like the Lions Club that's like, we have completely eradicated pubic lize.
Speaker 1: No more crabs.
Speaker 3: There would be no more pubic lice. Maybe it's because back in the day people had so many.
Speaker 1: Pubes, so the crabs don't. The crab's habitat has been taken away.
Speaker 3: Yeah, okay, they now that you remove your stinky jungle, there's no there. The crabs have nowhere to live.
Speaker 1: I did not think about that, but that actually my now as a child or as a young person, when the adult explained this clinical explanation, were you weirded out? Did it freak you out? Or were you just like did it make sense?
Speaker 3: No? It made sense. I mean I understood, But I was a kid that, like I would ask adult questions and I would typically get an honest answer. Like I remember the first time I ever heard the term abortion right. I was watching like the People's Court or something, and this case came up and I was like, what's an abortion? And you know, I was probably like seven eight years old and my mom explained what an abortion was. I mean, she didn't go into graphic detail, but you know, she kind of gave me the legit, you know, the lowdown about this is what it is. And I was just like okay, because I was I feel like I was like I was a very mature little kid, right, so I had to be the adult in my household. So I just feel like I was a pretty I was a pretty grown up kid, so I knew a lot of adult things at a young age.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I know. That's why you see a lot of young people nowadays just think everything that comes out of adults or older people's mouths is dumb. And I was always interested, you know, and I would like to I would hear like a real conversation, and I wanted to hear I want.
Speaker 3: To know what the crabs are, please know me watching a bullshit is.
Speaker 1: I would ear hustle. I would want to hear about, you know, the actual serious conversations, you know what I mean. Right, Maybe I was weird like that.
Speaker 3: No, a lot of us were nosy little kids.
Speaker 1: That's where you keep going through, like back and forth through the living room to get like some kool aid and you're really ear hustling not well.
Speaker 3: Yeah, but I also remember, like it wasn't so it wasn't such a big deal for me to hang around, like if my mom was chatting with her girlfriends, if I was like sitting there, I don't know. It wasn't like she shielded me from adult conversations, which she probably should have. But my mom was a you know, a teenager when she had me, so I'm sure she didn't know a lot or she she didn't maybe have the best parenting skills back then, right or ever. But you know, I was exposed, I think, to a lot as a child, So it wasn't really like I had to sneak around and get kool aid to like.
Speaker 1: Listen in oh yeah to you was get in the gossip, yeah.
Speaker 3: Okay, And I also like participated in some things I probably shouldn't have as a kid as well.
Speaker 1: Oh god, because.
Speaker 3: Like my mom was really we're going off on a tangent here, but this is kind of, I guess interesting to look back on. So my mom was really young, right, so when I'm like five six four or five six whatever, you know, she was very young in her early twenties, and she had this girlfriend that was also like in her age range, and they worked together and they would like get up to mischief together and would like bring me along for the ride.
Speaker 1: Oh so, like hunting down somebody's boyfriend or yeah, looking late at night, searching the bars, things like that.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and this friend Kim was kind of crazy, man. She would do some weird ass shit, like some guy cheated on her, and she like shitting a cup and rubbed it like under his door handle ooh, on his car. Dam So then when he reached he got a big handful of like her turd.
Speaker 1: Wow.
Speaker 3: Shit like that.
Speaker 1: That's pretty hard.
Speaker 3: Core, like taking a dump on the hood of his car. And I'm like five years old. It's like two in the morning, and I'm like watching this take place while everybody's laughing, you know, because they're they're immature, and they're a bunch of dumbasses. You know.
Speaker 1: Damn, she's shitting in the sun room.
Speaker 3: I've seen that before.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Now, I've greased some door handles, but I've never rubbed my excrement under him.
Speaker 3: That was just an example. I mean, I could probably tell you a lot more, but then you will be like, wow, Heather, you had a really fucked up childhood. Yeah that wasn't okay, No, and yeah, so let's move along. Safety concerns, especially for women, risks include you know, harassment, scam stalking, or unsafe meetups. I mean, we see those documentaries where women will get scammed out of hundreds of thousands of dollars because they think they're dating like a diamond an air to a diamond fortune or some crazy shit.
Speaker 1: Right, he just needs your social Security number and like.
Speaker 3: A Nigerian prince is gonna give you money.
Speaker 1: A withdrawal from your four to one K. But you know, once he's able to access his fortune.
Speaker 3: He's gonna pay you back old. Yeah. Ashley was frustrated after these two poor connections. We'll just say she still had hope for at least one other. So she'd met this guy named Edward Bonilla Junior who went by the user name E money Bond. Okay, I would have to skip on somebody who called themselves.
Speaker 1: E Money, E Money, E money Bond. Yeah, I don't know. I think the user name you can actually learn a lot from someone.
Speaker 3: Yeah. I think yours was like sad Sack sixty nine or something.
Speaker 1: That's not true.
Speaker 3: I was like this guy sounds depressed I'm gonna go out with.
Speaker 1: That's not true at all. I would never call myself sad.
Speaker 3: Sack, dysfunctional doing just kidding. I don't know what your username was.
Speaker 1: I think it was a big D, big D. That's right, That's why I see why you've swiped old me.
Speaker 3: See, I know it was like ironic though. Yeah, like if somebody nicknamed you tiny Oh okay, so I was like, yeah, big D okay.
Speaker 1: Big D paper maker.
Speaker 3: So they're on the meet me app, which I've never heard of this app. Are you familiar with meet me?
Speaker 1: No? But I did. I just met me. It was a it was a past tense dating app, and you would recount like dates in the past with other people. Y'all would talk about dates y'all have.
Speaker 3: Met me, but it just like hooked you up with like the ghost of someone who's no longer available.
Speaker 1: We Yeah, y'all wouldn't date each other. You would just get together and talk about dates that you had already had.
Speaker 3: That might be one of the dumbesties I've ever heard of your mouth. Okay, moving along, baby, actually met him in March of twenty fifteen, which is only two months after her boyfriend passed away.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I think she's just high from the grief, honestly, And I'm not going to trash her or talk bad about her, but I really think that's what she's doing. She's having a tough time, uh that. You know, she's had this horrible thing happen and she doesn't know what to do, and she's just trying to just trying to you know, feel a lot.
Speaker 3: Like rebound back, you know, because those rebound types of relationships never I've never really seen those work out, right, But it is like she just needs a distraction, something to take her mind off of the you know, of these feelings she's having.
Speaker 1: Yes, definitely.
Speaker 3: Well, the chat with e Bonnie Bond moves from the dating app to kick, which is a messaging app that for the kids.
Speaker 1: Well, so this is a this is when you're when you move from the app to just texting or some other form of communication, you can look at that as like your your relationships progressing.
Speaker 3: Right, So when I started sending you smoke signals, you knew what that meant.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Okay.
Speaker 3: After the camping date crashed and burned, Ashley decided to reach out to Edward. According to Brandy. Ashley thought that hanging out with someone else would make her kind of shake off this camping trip, this bad date. And maybe I'm thinking, you know, kind of boost her self esteem. Like she might be thinking, I can find other dudes to hang out with me, you know what I'm saying, like just to kind of make herself feel better after this shitty date.
Speaker 1: But yeah, but maybe she should take a step back and be like, hey, maybe this isn't in the cards for me right now, because you know, I keep having these kind of weird experiences and maybe I should slow my role.
Speaker 3: I understand, But again, you know, we don't really know Ashley's state of mind right because she's gone through I mean, she's gone through some shit at this point, right, She's going through some shit. Well, it was Friday, April third, twenty fifteen. Ashley tells her mom that she's got a date. Now. Usually Ashley's dates would come to the door, you know, briefly introduce themselves and then take her out. Raymond noticed this guy just pulled up and did not bother getting out of the car, And as a mother, that would be a red flag for me, Like, I understand why Raymond was kind of like hmm about this, dude, because it's like almost disrespectful when a man doesn't knock on the door or like even get out of the car to meet you or like meet your family, even if it's just briefly. It just seems like the gentlemanly thing to do.
Speaker 1: It's almost like pulling up someone's house in honking, Like if you want to take.
Speaker 3: My child out, you can at least present yourself.
Speaker 1: You could take a couple of minutes, let me get a read on you the manners.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it just seems polite to me and very impolite to just sit in the car and like honk on the horn like on a my fucking you know, piece of pizza. You're just hawking and the waitress is gonna bring me out on my tray. Well anyway, Yeah, Brandy typically liked to get a feel for the guys actually went out with. She would often like scope out there. I have to say, I like Brandy. She would scope out their cars. She would jot down their tag numbers, and then she would greet them just so she would get like a physical description, Like she would go knock on the window and be like hey, hey, hey, I'm Brandy, you know, Okay, Yeah, And I love that Brandy was so concerned about her sister's safety, but she's also like supporting her. On this particular evening, Brandy wasn't at home, so she did not get the opportunity to lay eyes on Edward or his car. I must add this that Ashley didn't have a cell phone. She shared a cell phone with her mother Rama. Ashley didn't take this phone on the date with Edward. Rama is at home with Ashley's young children, so it probably made more sense to leave the phone in case of an emergency, right. Ashley left at nine point fifteen, or maybe shortly after Edward offered to take Ashley to a bonfire party hosted by his brother's girlfriend, Lindsay Diaz. She has lived nearby in an area known as Goose Creek. Even if it was late at night or early in the morning, Ashley had a habit of letting her mom know that she'd made it home safely.
Speaker 1: Or I'm sure if her plans were going to change, she would let her mom know what's going on.
Speaker 3: Absolutely, so, when Rayma woke up on Saturday morning to find that Ashley had not made it home, she was concerned, and like, I don't know the family dynamic, but it does seem that Rayma understood. You know, her daughter's twenty eight, she's an adult. If she wants to stay out, she's welcome to do that. But she always let her mother know I'm not coming home tonight, Okay, crashing at a friend's place, you know.
Speaker 1: That kind of thing, just so she wouldn't worry.
Speaker 3: Well, right, And so since Rayma had the kids, she thought it was unusual for Ashley not to call or check in at all. Rayma and Brandy were worried right off the bat because this was not like Ashley. They scrolled through the cell phone to see if Ashley had reached out, but instead they found several messages from the date Edward. A message was sent to Ashley at three twenty eight am asking if she was awake, and then it said, quote, just making sure you made it home safely. Sorry I left at the gas station, but you were too drunk to handle.
Speaker 1: Oh my god. Now that's the last thing that you want to see in this phone, right.
Speaker 3: So by now Rama and Brandy are distressed. And if Ashley had been left at a gas station drunk and without a phone, like what had happened to her? She had not reached out to her family, she had not gotten a ride home. And can we just discuss edward for a moment, Dylan, what kind of guy leaves an intoxicated woman alone at a gas station in the dark, in the middle of the night or these early morning hours without a phone or means to get home.
Speaker 1: No, that's crazy, Like, even if some situation was developing, you got to figure out a way to get her somewhere save And again you can be like, well, she was drunk. That's all the more reason. You can't just put someone out. Now if they're attacking, I'm not saying she was, but if they're like trying to get physical or something, I can understand getting frustrated, you know what I mean. But I still just don't thank you unless they're short of actually trying to hurt and stab you in the next yeah, yeah, and then you can push a bitch down at that point, Oh my gosh, she just push her down, don't shake her or anything, but seriously get away from her. But you still, I still feel like you would have to be like, I got to get somebody here to help this person. You know what I mean, that's like, you can't just leave them. That's weird.
Speaker 3: I mean Edward's mama. I'm sorry, but she had a poor job of reason this mon because he ain't right and this is like the second red flag for me.
Speaker 1: Well, you have no manners, no way. He didn't present himself, He didn't like even take two minutes to hey, how are y'all? You know, hey, you know we'll be back in a little while whatever. And now this so this seems very He doesn't seem like a caring person.
Speaker 3: Do you know what I think we have here, Dylan?
Speaker 1: Is this ship bird?
Speaker 3: Shipbird?
Speaker 1: Come on?
Speaker 3: Yeah? Brandy tries to call Edward, but the call like goes unanswered, so she uses three different phones before finally reaching him. So he's screening calls.
Speaker 1: Oh, she's calling his number with multiple phones? Yeah, okay.
Speaker 3: Brandy explains that the family is on pins and needles, worried about Ashley. Now, Edward says he left her at a Sonico gas station, and then later he tells Brandy, well, I dropped her off in front of a trailer park.
Speaker 1: Okay, so why how are you having trouble remembering where you left her?
Speaker 3: He says, he dropped her off after midnight. Edward has not seen or spoken to Ashley since. He tells Brandy that Ashley was very drunk and because of her erratic behavior, he kicked her out of the car. According to Edward, Ashley refused to give her address, so he dropped her at the gas station or the trailer park, depending on which story he's telling. But here's the thing, he had her address, like he had picked her up earlier, So Brandy's not buying this story.
Speaker 1: So he can't remember how to take her back where he picked her up.
Speaker 3: She's like, you've got it in your like she texts you the ad, like, you have this in your phone.
Speaker 1: You've been here, You've been to the house here.
Speaker 3: You're full of shit now. During the phone call, Brandy will say that Edward was nice and helpful. She didn't get the answers she wanted, though. Brandy decided to contact the Dorchester County Sheriff's Department to file a missing person's report. Rayma and Brandy immediately launched their own efforts to find Ashley. Brandy contacts all of Ashley's friends, uh anyone Ashley had recently been chatting with, like even on some of these apps, no one had heard from Ashley.
Speaker 1: Okay, this would freak.
Speaker 3: Me out right. Oh yeah, and especially as a parent, like what does this happened to your child? On Sunday, the guy she'd gone camping with stopped by the house to apologize. Shane he had actually found his wallet and felt like a giant asshole, I guess, so, so he came by to apologize and immediately wanted to help her family find Ashley and even offered to speak with law enforcement. He was interviewed and was cleared because he had an alibi for Friday, which was the night she had gone missing. But I mean even he's like really concerned about Ashley. Edward Bonia Junior lived in Hanahan, which is about twenty five miles from Summerville. Law enforcement wanted to speak with him because he was the last known person to see Ashley. Edward told them the same story that he had told Brandy about how Ashley was like drunk and unruly and he just set her out on the side of the road in front of a gas station or a trailer park, yeah, or a hot dog stand. Like at this point he's probably just making it up, Edward. Edward Edward told law enforcement that he picked Ashley up from her house after nine they'd gone to a bonfire just before midnight. They left and he stopped at a gas station and then set Ashley out in front of a trailer park.
Speaker 1: Oh, I see, now it makes sense.
Speaker 3: Edward agreed to do like a ride along with deputies to show them the exact route he had taken that night. Edward shows them the Summer Village Mobile home park as the location where Ashley got out of the of the car, and he claimed after they had departed from the gas station, Ashley had needed to, you know, make a little peepee, so he'd pulled over on the side of the road by the trailer park, and I guess you know, she peede and then was being unruly.
Speaker 1: Like cousin him while she's squatting.
Speaker 3: Yeah, so he just drove off.
Speaker 1: Okay, that kind of.
Speaker 3: Makes sense, Like an angry pee You're.
Speaker 1: Not gonna give me the lip while you're squatted in the bushes, bud, while you're pissing in front of a nineteen fifty single wide. Okay.
Speaker 3: Deputies found it suspicious that he had dropped Ashley of this particular trailer part because it was just two miles from where she lived, so like, why wouldn't you just put her ass in the car and drive her home?
Speaker 1: Right, Yeah, you could. You could stand her for another couple of miles.
Speaker 3: Surely, deputies checked nearby security cameras, but the cameras didn't capture any images of the blue Hyundai Sonata. He was driving a car that happened to belong to his mother. Now, after the interview, Edward's mother and his girlfriend came to pick him up from the police station. Not a good look for this guy, Like he had gone on a date with a missing girl and then now he has a girlfriend picking him up.
Speaker 1: I mean, you know, and he's driving his mom's car.
Speaker 3: That makes law enforcement, you know, be like hm hmmm.
Speaker 1: This cause of losing things.
Speaker 3: That make you go hmmm, right. Lindsey Diaz, who was hosting the bonfire, reached out to law enforcement. She had known the Bonia family for many years. She'd gone to middle school with Edward and high school with him. Lindsay dated Anthony, Edward's brother for four years, so she knows this family super well, right, and she was really surprised to hear that Ashley was missing. So she wanted to help, okay, right. Lindsay didn't believe Edward had anything to do with her disappearance. She said that Edward had confirmed plans to attend the bonfire, saying that he was bringing his girlfriend, and Lindsay had met Jasmine, the girlfriend before she was taken aback. When Edward shows up with another woman.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's kind of weird.
Speaker 3: Not his girlfriend, yeah, Lindsay said. Ashley was not intoxicated at the party, and in fact, she hadn't wanted to leave the party yet it was Edward who insisted they leave, and this was just before midnight. Ashley said she wanted to finish the beer they had picked up for the party, but Edward's like no, no, no, like urging her along, we gotta go, and takes the beer with them.
Speaker 1: Well, so this is contradicting his story even more because according to her other witnesses, it sounds like this girl's not drunk out of her mind, she's not being an asshole.
Speaker 3: So that just yeah, she's just chilling, having a good time. She doesn't want to leave.
Speaker 1: That blows his story out of the water, really, in my opinion.
Speaker 3: Well, we're gonna catch Edward in a lot of lies. Dylan security footage shows Edward's stopping at that Snoco gas station on Saturday, April fourth, and this is around twelve oh four am. Ashley exits the vehicle, goes inside for about seven minutes, and then returns to the car, and a minute later they drive off in the Sonata. And these this video footage, these cameras show her going to the bathroom in the gas station, okay, which again doesn't make sense. Ashley had gone to the restroom, like I said, so law enforcement found her. This story about pulling over so she could peel a little strange. I mean, most young women, including Ashley she's twenty eight, don't need to pee within minutes of already peing. No, some of us who maybe are older, like we might need to pee three or four times in a twenty minute span, especially if we've had beer.
Speaker 1: Well I'm telling you man any and now.
Speaker 3: But most young people don't have that problem.
Speaker 1: No, not at all. But now, if I drink like two beers inside of an hour, hour and a half, oh my god, I will pee like nine times.
Speaker 3: Yeah, this could have been I'm like a camel.
Speaker 1: This would have been. This would have made sense if I went in the gas station and pede you you dropped me or you're with me? And then you said I had to stop through five miles down the road and pee again, like on side of the road. That's possible if I've been drinking any beer at all.
Speaker 3: Absolutely, So I relate, okay, because all I do is pee. I pee all the time. It's like I hit thirty five and just started peeing constantly.
Speaker 1: Good Body's like, now we're gonna piss.
Speaker 3: Yeah, just all the time. Like you're always gonna have to pee. You have a sip of water.
Speaker 1: You're gonna need to go pee always being But at the same time, I feel like I'm retaining a lot of water. Make it make sense.
Speaker 3: I'm just like, what the fuck, man, I'm gonna start wearing a diaper because I'm tired of like needing to go pee all the time.
Speaker 1: You know how to finish stuff. The convenience of a dopper actually seems kind of a pilling.
Speaker 3: Yeah, a little bit, But then I think about it gets wet and soggy, rubs against your skin, and then.
Speaker 1: You'll be running around with a little dopper hanging off your butt, and.
Speaker 3: It's gonna be squishy.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, that's good. I mean me running around shirtless, not wanting you to change my dipper because I don't want to stop playing.
Speaker 3: Dylan, I ate a few hours ago. Please stop, Lindsay. Diaz also told officers another detail that proved Edward had lied to them. So during the interview, they had asked Edward about employment and he told them he was unemployed due to an ankle injury. But Lindsay tells officers that Edward was working at the same place as his brother Anthony. They work together at our W. Cobbling company. It's a flooring company. Police are able to confirm that Edward had been working there for eight months and had never been out on any kind of like work related injury. So why would you even say that exactly?
Speaker 1: I mean, that's very easy for them to confirm, right.
Speaker 3: It just sounds like this guy he just lies to lie or something.
Speaker 1: Yes, so dumb.
Speaker 3: I don't really understand the point of I don't have a job.
Speaker 1: Like it wouldn't matter if you did or didn't, you know what I mean. I mean, that doesn't really affect your story at all. But when you lie about something like that of something obvious, something dumb. That doesn't matter. Of course, investigators is gonna make them wonder what the hell's wrong with you?
Speaker 3: Well, yeah, and when you have been caught in multiple lies, I mean they're gonna be like, Wow, your credibility is shot. I don't believe anything that comes out of your mouth, and they're gonna look at you like you're guilty right now. His supervisor, Rob Cobble told investigators that Edward had access to a large Ecano Line van. It was a work vehicle that he often was allowed to take home. Cobble recalled that on the Saturday morning after Ashley had gone missing, Edward called in sick, saying I'm not coming in today. I'm not feeling well. But then he had driven to the work site in the van. He said, I need to retrieve an item from the van, like after he dropped it off, he came back to get something out of the van. And this was just a few hours after Ashley had gone missing. So this is very early in the morning, okay, right. Edward also called in sick on Sunday, April fifth, again he's not showing up for work.
Speaker 1: He's got bad ankles, dude.
Speaker 3: He's got something about eleven days, maybe he has the crabs.
Speaker 1: He's hurt his ankle from dance around, all his bullshit.
Speaker 3: There you go about eleven days later and invest instigator shows up at the job site to speak with Edward. Edward seemed flustered and caught off guard, which is exactly what law enforcement had wanted to, just catch him in the moment he wouldn't be able to fabricate some story.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, they totally use that as a tactic, kind of surprised you at work or wherever you're at, to kind of throw you off guard and then see, you know, get a real good read on you.
Speaker 3: Now. At this point, Edward lies again, saying he'd only worked this job for two days, but they knew it had been eight months. I mean, his boss had confirmed this. So again they're like, Edward's a liar.
Speaker 1: Who's look, you can't even see me. I'm not even here, move visible. Who's Edward. My name's Anthony, I'm not Edward. I'm Jacob. What okay, I'm the werewolf.
Speaker 3: Yeah. So police confiscate the van that Edward had been using around the time of Ashley's disappearance. They also get some CTV like security footage showing Edward and his brother driving up to the company site on Friday night, April the third, and again on Saturday, April the fourth. On Friday, Anthony was driving a GMC pickup truck. He like pulls up, Edward gets out of the truck, gets in the van, drives away.
Speaker 1: Okay.
Speaker 3: On Saturday morning, very early, just a few hours after Ashley had gone missing, Edward can be seen driving the van and backing it into the same parking spot from the day before, and a car is seen picking up Edward.
Speaker 1: So you're talking about in the early morning hours, right, like three four.
Speaker 3: In the morning, Yeah, like five six am maybe somewhere in there, okay, Right. The van revealed an array of forensic evidence. There were blood spatters like throughout the van. There was also a can of polyurethane which had been dented, and the can was also stained with the red substance. And they don't come out and say this, but it sounds to me like like maybe you've hit somebody with this can.
Speaker 1: Of paint and it has a lot on it.
Speaker 3: Yeah, because it's a dented.
Speaker 1: End and you leave that in the van.
Speaker 3: The blue Hyundai Sonata that Edward had driven on the night of the bonfire. Was located at an enterprise rental car location in Charleston, South Carolina. Now, his mother had exchanged the Sonata for silver Chevy Cruise, so it sounds like she parked her car at this rental company and took took the Chevy Cruise.
Speaker 1: So she took it and was she already renting a car or.
Speaker 3: She owned the Hundai, but she rented this car and was driving it around.
Speaker 1: Okay, I mean, is that just a happenstance or is that mom culpable? I don't know. Oh, no, dooling.
Speaker 3: But the Hyundai was seized and they were going to do some testing. Turns out DNA belonging to Ashley was found in that car.
Speaker 1: Now it would have to depend on what type of DNA because he took her, you know, he took her to the party in the car. You know what I'm saying.
Speaker 3: There's blood?
Speaker 1: Oh Okay.
Speaker 3: Security images from a nearby school showed Edward's home and he arrived on Saturday, April fourth, around one twenty one am in the Sonata. He trades out the car for the work van and leaves at two thirty five am, heading back out yeah, in the work van.
Speaker 1: I mean, this is not weird at all.
Speaker 3: Now. At this point, investigators suspect Edward has murdered Ashley and that he used the van to transport the body somewhere. On April fifteenth, officer sees like both vehicles. A thirty year old Edward is arrested for obstruction of justice. This charge would hold him while they finished testing evidence and building a murder case. Edward was attempting to flee when police arrived at his home to arrest him, Like he had a suitcase packed ready to run, and I'm.
Speaker 1: Sure that he had a really well thought out plan.
Speaker 3: I just imagine as one of those like tiny little suitcases that kids have. This is like going to grandma's. Yeah, he's got his little tiny white's folded up in it like a Teddy Bear or something.
Speaker 1: And he's waiting for his mom to come pick him up. Mom, can you give me a ride?
Speaker 3: Yeah. Once he's arraigned, the judge sits bail at four hundred thousand dollars because they definitely see Edward as a flight risk. Since there was no body, only blood remained. Ashley's family was like holding out hope and I kind of looked a little bit into this, Dylan, because we've seen a lot of this and true crime cases. Denial is a built in psychological defense that helps the mind survive what it can't handle. When something overwhelming happens, like death, violence, some kind of betrayal, the brain wants to tell you like this is too much right now, and kind of blocks the reality of.
Speaker 1: It's not it didn't happen.
Speaker 3: It's not real, right, So fully accepting what happened can feel unbearable. So denial is this like trick your brain plays on you to act as a buffer. And we've seen that, like I said, so many times in true crime cases. And you know, I understand they are holding out hope that Ashley is still alive, but there seems to be some overwhelming evidence that she's no longer with us.
Speaker 1: Well, yeah, and I understand what you said just now. It sounds very accurate and it sounds reasonable, like something that your brain does for a reason. But I hate to say that given our true crime knowledge, and I'm sure many of our listeners are the same, I just don't think I could lie to myself in a situation like this, as hard as it would be to admit the truth. I think it would. I think it's obvious that something bad has happened and she's not just going to turn up okay.
Speaker 3: During interrogations, the police pressed Edward, even threatening the death penalty, but he does not budge. Edward will not reveal where Ashley's body is hidden, but based on the blood evidence, the police are certain she's no longer alive like it.
Speaker 1: Was that So it's a significant amount of that much. Oh my god.
Speaker 3: Yeah, just the what they found, you know, left behind, and.
Speaker 1: You're just going to take the work van you're you know, for the company you work for and do this thing and just go put the van back all bloodied, like what are we doing here?
Speaker 3: Edward's cell phone was used to track his movements on the night and morning of Ashley's disappearance. So between twelve thirty and one oh two am, the phone showed that he was near Ashley's house. Then he drove to Harleyville, which is about twenty minutes outside of Somerville. His phone pinged near a remote piece of farm land on Browntown Road, and this was just after he called into work to say I'm sick, I'm not coming in.
Speaker 1: So just after around twelve thirty when he so this is just after not they've left, the bonfire hasn't been that long, and it's almost like he's going to take her home or he's in.
Speaker 3: The area, like two miles from her house.
Speaker 1: Right, because the bombfire wasn't even that far. It was in the same area basically.
Speaker 3: Well, it sounds like it was close by, and.
Speaker 1: Then all of a sudden, in the middle of the night, he goes way out in the middle of.
Speaker 3: Nowhere to like a completely different town that's not good twenty minutes away. I mean, this doesn't really make sense. I mean, it would be one thing if you could rationalize it, Like there's a cookout that's open till three am, so that's why I drove there.
Speaker 1: Well, yeah, you got to get a corn do.
Speaker 3: To just drive to like a random dirt road out in the middle of the country. There's not a corn dog there.
Speaker 1: Well, no at the cookout. That would be why I'm going to the cookout. Well yeah, I mean, oh good, that's why you're You're not going to the dirt road because there's no corner.
Speaker 3: Honey, honey, please keep up.
Speaker 1: There's no milkshakes.
Speaker 3: I understood what you were saying.
Speaker 1: We used to drive. I mean, I don't think people understand or some.
Speaker 3: May well, people who live in rural areas, they understand.
Speaker 1: We would drive like forty minutes to get a milkshake, like late at night from cookout. Yeah, because there wasn't one in our town.
Speaker 3: Yeah. It was like a thing like me, like me, you and my daughter because my daughter was all into going for like the late night shake. Yeah, like pile on the car in our pajamas and drive out of county, yeah.
Speaker 1: Into another county, hit the late night cookout and just like power slam this shake all the way home.
Speaker 3: And then by the time we got home, we were all three like we fell through.
Speaker 1: We felt terrible, like why did we do this?
Speaker 3: It was lucky we had three bathrooms in that house, ye, because we were all lactose and tolerant when it came to milkshakes. So just after calling into work, So why would he travel to this air if he is unable to go to work? Right, Like, if you're sick and you're calling in, why are you out in the middle of nowhere again? It just decided to go like deer hunt before you called into work. I mean, it doesn't make any sense. Police were also able to see that Edward was actively texting his girlfriend Jasmine, like the entire time he was making plans to go out with Ashley. So the same evening they're texting, he's texting his girlfriend baby, I love you.
Speaker 1: Yeah. I don't get it. I don't even get Why are you trying to date someone you got a girlfriend.
Speaker 3: Well, it's just not a good look, no, right, I mean, people get an impression of you and they're seeing Edward lie, Lie, Lie, And then we see that he's lying to his girlfriend. He's not telling Ashley he has a girlfriend. So it's like this guy just lies to everyone.
Speaker 1: And including himself.
Speaker 3: Like it a week after the well, y'all called himself e money when he's like got to borrow his mom's car, Like, you don't even have a car, dude. Anyway, after it was a week after the arrest, Edward told his lawyer where Ashley's body was located. Five weeks to the day of her disappearance, law enforcement assembled a search team with canines and volunteers to bring Ashley home, and it did not take investigators along to find Ashley. They go to this area, rural area kind of out in the middle of nowhere and they find a bone sticking up from the dirt.
Speaker 1: Oh my gosh.
Speaker 3: Digging in that area, they find Ashley and she's wearing only a red bra Edward denied sexually assaulting Ashley. He claimed her pants had come off when he was dragging her body.
Speaker 1: I mean, it's for one, how how making a statement like that is so ridiculous period, And for two, we don't believe you.
Speaker 3: But she also had black electrical tape around her neck and wrists. Ashley had suffered blunt force trauma to the head. The medical examiner will later say her manner of death was homicide. She died as a result of strangulation and blunt force trauma. The coroner was unable to determine if she had been sexually assaulted. Ashley's toxicology report showed alcohol in her system, which they already knew she had been drinking, but it wasn't like an overwhelming amount of alcohol, right right. But what they find is a muscle relaxer is also in her system.
Speaker 1: Oh.
Speaker 3: Police speculate she had unknowingly been given this muscle relaxer and that the person likely tried to have sex with her. After they gave her this drug and left the party, and that person meaning you know Edward, and.
Speaker 1: That lines up with witness account of him kind of rushing her, rushing her to leave the party. So it's almost like.
Speaker 3: He's witnesses saying she wasn't drunk when she left the party, She's.
Speaker 1: Having a good time. She kind of was reluctant to leave. She wanted to hang out have fun, which is the whole point of what she was trying to do. And then he's kind of, you know, oh no, let's go. He's kind of rushing her along. It sounds like he's dosed her. He's snuck this muscle relaxer and maybe her beer or whatever, and he's he expects it to take effect, so he wants to get her out of the public eye before that happens so he can be a piece of shit. Yeah God, what a dirtbag.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I kind of want to punch him in his wiener. Now. When she resisted, they theorized he became angry, Edward sexually assaulted Ashley, restrained her, knocked her out, and then panicked thinking he had killed her. It is more probable that he pulled the car over that second time, like after they left the gas station to sexually assault Ashley rather than to let her out to pee again.
Speaker 1: Right, right.
Speaker 3: Ashley had confided in her sister and others that she did not want to have sex with anybody. All she wanted to do was go out, meet new people, have fun. She was not looking for a hookup. She had like no interest in sex, so her family nobody believed that she willingly, you know, hooked up with this guy.
Speaker 1: Right.
Speaker 3: I don't understand the mind of this cheater either, because why would you bring Ashley around your brother and your brother's girlfriend, Like he wasn't worried as his girlfriend would find out.
Speaker 1: Or doesn't care what they think.
Speaker 3: All these people around to like know you and know your girlfriend and know you have a girl, and then Edward has the audacity to like harm Ashley. Like, this guy's an idiot.
Speaker 1: He's a total piece of shit.
Speaker 3: Yeah, well he's a lot of things.
Speaker 1: And he's dumb. I mean, let's be honest, this guy's stupid.
Speaker 3: He's dumb. But you know, most criminals are dumb. They're not exactly splitting that at him, right. Sadly, detectives have the difficult task of informing Ashley's family of what they'd found. Ashley had passed away two weeks before her birthday. She would have been twenty nine years old. She left three young children behind. And let's just say Edward is a monster. I mean, first of all, drugging a person is about as sleazy as it gets.
Speaker 1: It's very cowardly.
Speaker 3: Secondly, attempting to sexually assault a drugged person is a makes you a top tiered demon in my opinion. And then murdering the victim that you've already hurt, you know, just fuck you, Edward man. You're on my shit list. And if I could get my hands on you, I would punch you. And your probably a little stupid wiener, your little lying wiener.
Speaker 1: What a cowardly punk he is, you know what I mean?
Speaker 3: He's something else. So May fifth was the day Edward was officially charged with first degree murder. The trial will began over a year later. In August of twenty sixteen, Edward's attorneys made the bold decision to put their client on the stand.
Speaker 1: Wow, look, that's a bold decision any defense.
Speaker 3: It's a bold move, Cotton if it works out.
Speaker 1: But in this case, your only hope is if you don't have a strong case, or you think they can really bring something to the table, maybe connect with the jury, or really make a case for their innocence. But this is their client, Edward, This guy's their client, and they have to.
Speaker 3: See that he's a bumbling idiot.
Speaker 1: Yeah, he's a bumbling idiot who can't keep anything straight. So it leads me to believe that either they had absolutely no other nothing as far as anything to build a defense with, or they're wholly incapable of doing their job very well. Either which I don't care because I want this guy to not have a good defense.
Speaker 3: Well, it is a calculated risk, which most of the time I think should be a avoided at a trial.
Speaker 1: Well, yeah, it opens you up across examination from the prosecution.
Speaker 3: You know, in a murder trial, the defense must decide like is this going to hurt or help my client? So did they want him to explain the damaging evidence? Like even in his own words, I'm not sure Edward can explain away the massive amounts of blood in two vehicles, all the lies he told police, and then dumping a body. No, So if they thought Edward would come across as like a credible and sympathetic, you know, defendant. I think they should try again. You know what, say these lawyers didn't go to school. I don't think they know nothing.
Speaker 1: Maybe secretly they're doing the lord's work.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I mean they are really and that.
Speaker 1: They're just you know, they're just tanking this fucking piece of shit.
Speaker 3: But they're certainly not doing Edward any favors.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and they want him to go to jail and get the longest sentence possible.
Speaker 3: Well, they probably no deep down that he's a piece of shit.
Speaker 1: I wonder, I bet you. I you defense attorneys do that sometimes.
Speaker 3: I wouldn't be surprised. Edward said that Ashley's death was accidental. Now this is what This is a story. He's on the stand. This is a story. The death was accidental, and he's basically blaming it on the alcohol.
Speaker 1: I knew it right.
Speaker 3: His story is that she had been drunk and combative. He led her out to pee on the side of the road, then accidentally hit Ashley with his car, trying to prevent her violent outburst. Because she was upset that he hit her with the car, so he placed tape around her wrists, and that a bear hug led to strangulation and it was all just a big misunderstanding.
Speaker 1: And it was for her safety. He restrained her with the tape, Yeah, and he didn't mean to. How do you hit her with the car? This is exactly what I expected from Edward.
Speaker 3: Seriously, So we have a killer trying to blame the victim, and unfortunately this is common. Killers like Edward often try to reshape the story so their actions feel justified, Like I had no choice. She was drunken, out of control.
Speaker 1: Right if I'm guilty of anything, it's trying too hard to keep her from hurting herself.
Speaker 3: Edward is also trying to reduce moral blame in the eyes of others, like he's trying to make Ashley a pair of violent, aggressive, threatening in order to shift how others feel about the crime. Edward seems to be saying it was somehow self defense. And Edward, in my opinion, sees himself as a victim because he's a piece of crap. Now it's her fault that he had to cheat on his girlfriend, drug an attempt to rape a woman he met online, and then murder her because she doesn't want to have sex with his crusty ass. But this is all Ashley's fault, right, all of that, Like she made him make all these bad choices.
Speaker 1: So to be this bad and to this dom. This guy has been doing this all his life. It's always someone else's problem. Or even when he can explain his actions or his poor choices away, it's not his fault, you know what I mean. Yeah, he's one of those people.
Speaker 3: Afterward, he hurried home, leaving Ashley on the roadside. At home, Edward picked up the van so he could transferred her body because he was quote scared and panicked. Edward taped a bag over Ashley's head to prevent bleeding and loaded her in the van. So he's admitting that he hit her body, but I guess that's her fault too, like she made him dump her in the woods.
Speaker 1: What the hell?
Speaker 3: He's just such a piece of shit, dude. Ashley's family has to sit through this bullshit testimony.
Speaker 1: That's the worst part of these trials, having to watch this moron, this idiot monster. Now we keep calling him an idiot, but he is truly a monster. And just sit there and do.
Speaker 3: Fame listening to this killer blame.
Speaker 1: Her, yes, slander your loved one like this.
Speaker 3: They had to be infuriated, but also devastated to hear those details, thinking about her poor body being moved from car to car, left on the side of the road like a piece of trash, just taking into the woods and buried in the shallow grave like she's nothing, and then lying through your fucking teeth. Man, I understand why families attack defendants in courtrooms.
Speaker 1: I seriously think that that should be a sentence because I saw this.
Speaker 3: Video of a man in Charlotte, North Carolina, confront his son's accused killer, like outside of the courtroom, and this man attacks the defendant and fucks him up. He beats the living shit out of this guy. And the whole time I'm watching it, I was like, I can't say I wouldn't do the same thing.
Speaker 1: Well, yeah, I mean I think that you should be allowed to do that.
Speaker 3: Well, I just I would have a really hard time sitting through this guy's testimony if that were my daughter. Like, fuck this guy. He deserves the worst. So this lame massed defense does not work. Big surprise, a South Carolina jury found Edward guilty and sentenced him to life in prison. Here's the kicker, Dylan. On the same day his father Edward Benia Senior was arrested for operating a prostitution ring out of the strip club where he worked.
Speaker 1: What the hell?
Speaker 3: Ed Senior is also a registered sex defender for attempting to rape a woman in nineteen eighty three. So this seems like learned behavior, Like men who are pigfuckers raise little pigfuckers.
Speaker 1: Well, yes, nature versus nurture.
Speaker 3: I mean, and I'm just going out on a limb, hear Dylan, but maybe being raised by a man who openly hates women and thinks their value is only sex is definitely going to shape a son with similar attitudes. I mean, kids don't just listen to what their parents say. They absorb how they behave, what they believe, what they do. And I'm not blaming Edward's father, but it certainly doesn't help Edward to not be a shitty person to see your dad do this shit.
Speaker 1: Well, no, and you can go one of two ways. You can either be like him or you can be totally against the way he is. And you know, respect women, love women, protect women. Because your dad was a piece of shit who was a womanizer and sounds like a violent asshole as well.
Speaker 3: Well, there's this thing Dylan called intergenerational transmission of violence, and it's the idea that like harmful behaviors can sometimes be passed down through the environment, like modeling and trauma. So you got Edward raised by a sex offender who clearly has maybe some negative feelings about women. It isn't a pipeline for Edward to become a killer, but it poses an elevated risk. Right, It's less about copying the crime and more about growing up in conditions that can distort boundaries, empathy, impulse control. And so I am kind of leaning to where, you know, I feel like maybe this is what was going on. I'm not a professional, but it seems like the dad's a piece of shit who thinks it's okay to sexually assault women and pimp women out and women are just for sex.
Speaker 1: Now you hear about things like what you're describing or generational trauma, and I've even heard people's say it can actually be imprinted almost on your DNA. Yeah, your DNA. And do you really think that it all could boils down to what some people believe is just our whole personality, Everything about us really boils down to the chemicals, the hormones and our body in the way all that stuff interacts. Do you think that that could explain why someone can be a shitty person and then have a kid whose piece of shit too is or is it nature and nurture or you think it's just all this shit combined.
Speaker 3: I think it's combined, right. But I have noticed that a lot of shipbirds tend to have children that are shipbirds, and then you end up with like these families and it's just generations of shipbirds.
Speaker 1: Right, And it's like they have a where.
Speaker 3: It's like four or five generations of this family have this reputation of just their absolute pieces of shit, right, and every town has one of these families.
Speaker 1: It could just be their brain chemistry, right, They have no impulse control, they you know, short tempers or whatever whatever you want to call it. That could be a big part of it.
Speaker 3: Right. Why do I believe in coincidences? And so seeing Edward's dad is a sex offender, it doesn't surprise me so much that his son is trying to drug and rape a woman.
Speaker 1: And it makes me curious what Edward's father's parent or you know, dad or grandpa was like or were they the same or were they mean, and you know all this and that too.
Speaker 3: You just never know.
Speaker 1: And this is where you got to break the chain, you know, you got to do. You have to recognize, Hey, my dad's a piece of shit. I don't want to be like him, you know what I mean. Yeah, But as hard as you might not want to be like your parents and stuff, it's almost like sometimes in ways, you still you are like them.
Speaker 3: Yeah, you know what I'm saying. You try hard not to be.
Speaker 1: Yeah, like even if it's little things or something, but you know it might be affect your relationship with other people, and you know, just your emotional maturity, so it can be tough. You can't you might not be able to change everything. But I don't think me being wired who I am now, I could never do anything like this and I could never be around anyone who do.
Speaker 3: Just why I mean, it's like you don't want to put this broad generalization that if your parent was like a sex offender, you're going to go out and be a sex offender. I mean, you know, we can't. We can't just paint that with like a broad you know, stroke whatever, But you know you do have people that go that route. But then you also have people that grow up in dysfunction or shit. You know, they just have a shitty life and they are raised by shitty people, but they're like, bro, I'm never going to be like that. I don't want to be that person. And then they grow up and kind of live their life in the exact opposite direction.
Speaker 1: You know, right, And that's true. I think I might said that earlier. You can do one of two. It's just like, you know, people who are molested. Some people become a molester some people. A lot of people don't fight for victims all their lives because they know what it's like to be victimized. So it's very strange.
Speaker 3: It's a really interesting study for sure. I mean, like, I'm you know, y'all know, I'm no psychiatrist. I have no psychology major. What you've been, right, a sociologist, But you've.
Speaker 1: Been prescribing me medicine every month? What are you talking about? You're you're not a psychologist.
Speaker 3: And then I make you lie down on the couch until your problems to rufus.
Speaker 1: Yeah yeah, but then I just go to sleep.
Speaker 3: Yes, yes, so well no, but I do find it really interesting, and that's why, you know, I do kind of like enjoy delving into some of these topics, especially when we're discussing, you know, certain cases, because I do feel like finding out that Edward's father was a sex offender and running a prostitution ring, I was like, huh, well, yeah, that would explain his son being like a rapist creep.
Speaker 1: It does. And even if you take nature out of it being raised around someone, because when you're a kid and you're in your household, you you think that's what the world is is, even if you're in a truly horrible dysfunctional household, you think that's just how things are, right, Yeah, And many people don't realize that's not true until they start going to school, and maybe some people don't even realize it until like they go to a way to college or something like that, or finally move out on their own, that hey, that's not how you relationships are supposed to work. That you shouldn't treat women like that or whatever. You know, and you having a very strong, violent outburst is not a good reaction to, you know, things around you or other people, and so you you just think that's how things are. You think it's normal. And so as a growing a kid growing up in an environment like that, you just absorb that and it really can make make you. You become that person and that's who you are. You know, you're you're not critical of your actions or you don't. You're not self reflective, you don't. You just think that that that's the way you're supposed to be. You think women are you know this or that, and that you're a man and you know that. They call it toxic masculinity nowadays. I call it being a toxic person. I don't think you have to be I think a woman can beat this way. I think a man can be this way. It's just being a toxic on both sides, right, It's just a toxic person. You know. Of course they're broad stroking it with a toxic masculinity thing.
Speaker 3: But well, yeah, because there's been a push to demonize men and men are terrible.
Speaker 1: Yeah right, But and you see in these same sex female couples, you have a toxic person that acts like that toxic man.
Speaker 3: I mean, domestic violence rates are very high, yeah, among lesbian relationships.
Speaker 1: And it's crazy because I just don't understand why why you think it's okay to treat people like that. I don't know. It's never made sense to me, like a man who beats a woman or people that beat their children, I mean beat them, you know, just physical abuse. I've never understood how in the world you would ever do that or what you get out of it, you know what I'm saying. No, Like, as a man, if I right now was to be you, you know, start attacking you, Like what am I proving? You know what I'm saying that I'm strong.
Speaker 3: You're going to get your ass kicked by your wife, is what you would prove?
Speaker 1: Well, No, I would probably take some kind of sharp object to the head very quickly. I'm sure whether ever's within it, But I've just never I just don't know how.
Speaker 3: You can live with you because you're not a piece of ship.
Speaker 1: Yeah, okay, maybe maybe you've.
Speaker 3: Broken the chains of being a piece of ship.
Speaker 1: You be less a piece of ship, so you less, you just shipped the don't smell you.
Speaker 3: And then you know your daddy was like a big old honk of ship. You're just like a little You're like a little Specpec ship farted.
Speaker 1: And you keep on until your kids are like basically normal people at some point, or maybe they're kids kids kids. But it's starts.
Speaker 3: We can hope, right, it's.
Speaker 1: They just going to be like a fleck as shit.
Speaker 3: We can all hope and those of us who grew up in dysfunction that perhaps we've made a better generation that will go on to be better parents, and then somewhere down the line there might be a normal functioning part of your bloodline.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and it's called the shrink the shit method.
Speaker 3: Okay, Okay, all right, Dylan, Well, thank you for sitting down with me to discuss Ashley's case. Like I said, this is a case that has just weighed on me because this poor girl or young woman, I should say, I have a bad habit of calling women girls, just habit not to be disrespectful.
Speaker 1: So toxically masculine.
Speaker 3: I'm very toxic masculine. Okay. It's just really sad to see that this young woman went through losing the love of her life and she's just trying to put herself out there. She has these terrible dates with these men, and it's almost like foreshadowing what's to come, because then she meets this absolute fucking piece of shit and her life is over, and you have these three children left without a mother. The little boy lost his mom and his dad.
Speaker 1: Damn family.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I mean just her mom, her sister is heartbreaking.
Speaker 1: It's so terrible and so pointless and dumb, and it's just it's these kinds of stories that break my heart and really pissed me off at the same time.
Speaker 3: It's just it's just it's kind of like a cautionary tale, Like it reminds me that we've gotten so comfortable with I guess, the the phones, the apps, like getting into an uber with a stranger, like you don't know this person, having random people deliver shit to your house, like they're not casting your house to break again later, or they don't see something nice in your own I mean, it's like we just take for granted all these things, meeting a stranger online.
Speaker 1: Or on an app, Facebook, marketplace them up with a pocketful of.
Speaker 3: Money, Greggslist or whatever, Like we just take it for granted. But that you know, these types of things happen, and so we just have to be very vigilant when it comes to, you know, making a deal on Facebook or going on a date with someone a stranger you don't know. You know, you can take precautions, like driving your own vehicle meeting them somewhere in public.
Speaker 1: Right, Yeah, that's see that. You go there in public, you you come separately, you leave separately. You're really kind of you're creating a bubble around.
Speaker 3: Yourself, making sure you have like a hatchet in your bag or whatever. All right, it's just what I do. I don't know.
Speaker 1: Thank you, Heather, and thank you for that. Thank you to our listeners. And we cannot wait until we're back again.
Speaker 3: We have a great midweek coming up.
Speaker 1: We do. We are back on it now twelve more like.
Speaker 3: The weekend up date for you.
Speaker 1: And I gotta say, I got a couple of little silly things I'm trying to get Heather to do. She's been really cracking me up lately. So maybe I'll throw a couple of little bonus episodes out there, a little shorts. Bye Doyling, Bye,