Speaker 1: Ninety five miles an hour, riding to his head. He hopping down first with the lump bonius face, and on the very next pitch he up and stole second face with greatst speed. He wasn't born, he had yes uniforn.
Speaker 2: All right, Welcome to episode Birmingham Barons Michael Jordan forty five of the Prospect B Sides podcast. You didn't like that.
Speaker 3: That's a deep cut. I have no idea what you're talking about. But wow, MJ is Birmingham Baron's number one. That's what. Okay?
Speaker 2: Well, who else is forty five?
Speaker 3: I don't know, uh, Chadwick Trump or something? What?
Speaker 2: Yeah, no, MJ. Anyways, welcome to the number.
Speaker 3: Everyone associates with.
Speaker 2: MJ.
Speaker 3: Forty five.
Speaker 2: Dude, Jordan could have been a major leader.
Speaker 3: I don't think so. His swing was jank, he was never gonna hit.
Speaker 2: Maybe as it was, but if she had started just playing bass or just stuck to baseball, I think he could have been. I don't know.
Speaker 3: Maybe he's tall, like the tall guys, it's kind of hard to be good at baseball.
Speaker 2: Picky. Can't be too short, can't be too tall.
Speaker 3: It's like a but you could definitely be too short or short like I'm all about that. It's the tall guys, especially as a hitter, like there are just not many tall guys that really really end up like six six and above. I mean, and what was Jordan like? Six seven?
Speaker 2: Yeah, six six six five probably. Anyways, this intro has gotten really derailed, but uh, welcome to the podcast. It's been too long.
Speaker 3: It's been too long, addled by our time off and the cold air. We're talking muddy b siders though, so that's always a good night.
Speaker 2: Yes, yes we are. We are back after the holiday break, going division by division, picking out what zero to one to not created yet prospects from every org a, bat and arm that I don't know the rook and I kind of have a lik liking to for one reason or another, and that they might be undervalued, underappreciated in the Dynasty world, can maybe gain some utility or as you mentioned last time, that we just like them and want to talk about them.
Speaker 3: So some of those guys this week just guys that I like. I don't know how many of them are going to be good, but some guys that are pretty fun. In this week's episode.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and tonight we're doing the National League Central. I don't know as a whole how excited I am about this, but we'll talk about that.
Speaker 3: Now.
Speaker 2: You have a good holiday, eat some bird and two of them things.
Speaker 3: Hit no bird for us this year. It's a first year in a long time that we didn't visit family or do a friends giving. Two kids by ourselves at home. Yeah, we eschewed the bird and we'll do I have a nice turkey on or for Christmas when we will have some family in town. But yeah, we just did some of our other traditional Thanksgiving dishes. We do this thing every year called pumpkins stuffed with everything good, and it's become our favorite dish every year Thanksgiving. Anyway, Like we were like, it's better than mashed potatoes and gravy, it's better than turkey, it's better than all the other sides. So we just made a couple of those and that was our Yeah, just quiet, quiet as quiet it can be with a two year old and a newborn in a house. But now we survived. It was fun. Had my son's birthday party here. So the house is as clean as it's ever been with at least since a two year old arrived. But yeah, it was a good, good holiday.
Speaker 2: I was yours, nice good man. I drink a lot of gin I haven't done a lot of in my life, but paid for the next day a little bit. But that was fun. And my sister in law, dude, man, I don't know, I don't know the recipe of her marinate or whatever, but I got to give a shout to her, not that she would be listening at all, but she kills turkey, dude, like brings turkey to a whole other level.
Speaker 1: Man.
Speaker 2: It's like the most flavorful, delicious, never eating turkey that tastes like this before thing. And I look forward to that every year. Thanks gonna be definitely my favorite holiday. Nice.
Speaker 3: You got to get that recipe and share it out with the people. We can do a live reading of your your turkey your in laws turkey recipe next episode.
Speaker 2: I don't know. I don't know if they'll give it out. I don't know. I don't know what the deal is there. I haven't cried, but any of who met, I don't know if a lot has happened in the baseball world per se since uh last.
Speaker 3: Freaking nothing, and everyone is so all up in arms about Juan Soto where he's gonna go, And I just like, have we talked about this that I don't think the signing news breaking thing is a real job, Like like I don't understand why people care or what the value is, Like why do you care? Why do you not wait thirty minutes later, two days later, ten days later, Like it just doesn't matter, you know, especially this time of the year. Like maybe if you're a mid draft and you like see somebody sign somewhere and it's a big change in value, like you care about that. But what degenerates are doing drafts right now? You know? So I the whole news breaking thing in basketball, baseball, football, Like, I don't understand it. It's really stupid to me.
Speaker 2: I don't know, need everything answered right now sort of mentality. I don't know. But we did have. As I mentioned before we started recording one of my B sides, Selections, has already switched teams. About a week after we recorded the Al West episode, Juan Mercedes elected free agency and signed with the Giants, which I think for whatever major league aspirations or possibilities there might be for him, Like that's probably a better avenue than trying to break in with the Mariners.
Speaker 3: Yeah, maybe and interesting. I'm super curious how their for an office is gonna run things. The early signs are kind of baffling, Timmy, Like Buster Posey is the POBO and he's doing a bunch of really weird stuff, and our analytics departments all leaving, and he's like, RBIs are important again. And so I don't know if that bodes well for mister Mercedes development. But it's going to be interesting, yeah, to see what the Giants do.
Speaker 2: So maybe the baseball world was a bit quiet in news and exciting events and stuff, Matt. But I don't know if this has affected you like it has me. But I understand this is a baseball podcast, but I feel like I got to do my part to help make a shift here. But the second Congressional hearing on UAPs, Matt, did you watch this?
Speaker 3: Of course, not what I mean.
Speaker 2: We are amidst the unfolding, the unveiling of probably the most important shift in the human experience in our lifetimes, Matt, maybe ever, and starting to uncover the government cover up of information technologies intelligence far beyond our understanding, and it is happening that we are slowly getting cutting through the bureaucracy and starting to learn some things about other intelligence and what.
Speaker 3: Have you learned? What have you learned from this? I am so curious what the cover up and the new information is here.
Speaker 2: Well, let me just put on a different hat for a minute. Here. I mean, we have go we have government officials, high ranking government officials, admirals from the Navy, Folks who worked on secret reverse engineering programs trying to reverse the reverse engineer technologies that were recovered. Folks from NASA testifying under oath about I mean, they're like whistle blowing, you know, and they're wanting to cover up the hiding of information to cease and let science start exploring some of this stuff. I've learned that probably one of the big hurdles in that is defense contractors have bought probably rights to information. But these folks all believe there's definitely intelligence out there that isn't us. They testify as such, and that there are a retrieval program retrieving what I don't know, technologies that we don't have. But my point is like, why isn't this a big deal for folks? Am? I am I overreacting to this?
Speaker 3: Matt, are you on a Wednesday? Night in December wearing a tinfoil hat, a literal tinfoil hat, on a baseball podcast about obscure minor leaders. Are you making too big a deal about hearing that is a huge nothing burger?
Speaker 2: How can you say this is a nothing burger? There are I don't know if they're aliens, I don't know if it's us from the future. But how does this not make you feel happy? That doesn't this make me feel good? This is like the most hopeful news I've ever heard in my life. Like, maybe we don't kill ourselves because there's a lot of in the future.
Speaker 3: There there is a lot of unexplained intelligence. And I'm glad to hear that there's some intelligence out there, because there's not a lot on this podcast right now, and it's certainly not a lot on in Congress.
Speaker 2: Look, we're not the smartest, the smartest beings out there, Thank god, we are not it.
Speaker 3: Yeah, of course there are other beings out there. The universe is basically infinite, no worse, there are other things.
Speaker 2: Right, But I mean, I mean here very interested in our nuclear sites and bases and interfering with stuff there because maybe they don't want us to kill ourselves. I don't know. We are going to find out more though, but this is.
Speaker 3: You think you think the intro went off the rail. We're thirteen minutes in and you're you ain't be hearing.
Speaker 2: You got to watch it, man, you gotta watch it. Boy. This is great. You can because it's important and it's moving from heretical and tabloid realms to becoming legitimized. And I think that's I think that's fantastic. AnyWho. Yeah, wow, me to watch it before you before you judge my takes here, Matt, that's.
Speaker 3: Some that's some good stuff. That's got me good. That was good.
Speaker 2: AnyWho, Let's talk about some loser prospects. Let's start with the Cubs. I don't know how you felt digging on this organization, but as a whole, felt a little And I understand that I'm biased, so so maybe you can steer me right. But I did come away with a bat that a young bat that I I don't know. Maybe he's the top ten beside that for me this year. And that's Jose Escobar. Oh interesting, who's currently in September was rostered and zero percent of leagues I don't believe he's ranked on Pipeline. Nineteen year old second base, left field, left hand hitter listed at five ten national free agent from Venezuela. Last year, he spent what time forty seven games in the Complex three with Myrtle beach and A ball eighty four a ball played appearances. He hit four home runs, walked thirteen percent of the time, struck out twenty four percent of the time two oh nine three fifty seven four seventy eight slash and that small sample good enough for a one forty three WRC plus in that league. But Matt, I don't know if you've watched Escobar into him very much, but left handed stroke that I liked kind of a good bit reminds me of Pinango in a sense that.
Speaker 3: Like in they're both Cubs, in that they're.
Speaker 2: Both Cubs, but like it's probably going to be a pretty bat heavy profile. I think. I don't know if defense and like athleticism is really at the top of his assets here. I don't know. Maybe maybe you you thought differently.
Speaker 3: So I did watch quite a bit of Hotel Escobar, and I'm I'm happy to report that I'll begrudgingly co sign this one with you. But I think with a little bit less enthusiasm the guy that I really wanted to go for that will talk about in a bit. I think it's just like a little over our roster thresholds. But we're still gonna talk about the guy who I think is the most underrated guy in the system. But for Escobar, we're talking like eighty four played appearances in a ball at which he ran a twenty three point five percent home run to fly ball rate, whereas he hadn't cracked single digits in the last two years on the DSL and the complex. So while he did a really good job in a ball pulling his fly balls and getting some homers, and I watched all of those homers that were broadcast and they were good, like good pulled the ball, got it up in the air, and good things happened. But I'm a little skeptical that there's.
Speaker 2: Last one opposite field ways that I liked.
Speaker 3: Yes, yes, And some of the ones that he pulled I thought were like good process, it seemed like, but he's not a guy that's gonna run a teens homer to flyball rate. I think this is like some small sample noise for me and nineteen at a ball and a twenty four percent k rate, Like, okay, that's that might tick up a bit as he as he goes up levels. The reason to like him from my perspective was I thought he was pretty athletic in the box and seemed like he was trying to be intentional in pulling the ball and putting it in the air. And that's good, like as we've talked about ad nauseum, right, and he should have. I don't know if the exit velows were if we got much out of that, but if you got any reporting on.
Speaker 2: That, I don't know.
Speaker 3: It seemed like he squared up enough balls that I was like, Okay, there's some power here that it's worth following. But I'm not this is not like a oh Man, this is a next superstar in the making thing. For me, it seems like I want to see a lot more.
Speaker 2: I agree with that. I'm not saying that this is a lock stud, but for a young, unpopular bat, I think there's some stuff to like here and think there might be a chance ground ball rate of forty five forty six percent, which you know is probably not what we want to see necessarily, but for this system, that's kind of an outlier in a good way.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and he's still like and thirty seven percent in the air, So he's sort of taking those ground balls in exchange for the line drives. But I don't know with the way that he swings it, like I kind of take that trade off, Like I don't think he's going to be a high babbit guy and a spray guy. He's like trying to hit some homers and that comes with some ground balls in his case.
Speaker 2: And I like the look of his swings, like it's fairly simple and clean and not a lot of moving parts, but still headn't but uh yeah, it wasn't super you know, into a lot of bats here and young Jose Escobar, let's see if it gets a little more popular, he has a little bit more success than the Lowers.
Speaker 3: Yeah. So I mean the CUB system as a whole is pretty good. I think in that Matt Shaw and moisse By Steros are both I think big leaguers comfortably with a chance for you know, all star or really good seasons mixed in there. Owen Casey, for me, is a little bit of a boomer bus, but I think he's a big league regular for sure. You know, a little higher strikeout profile, but I think the power is going to be legit. Kevin Alcantra, he's super athletic, maybe he's starting to pull everything together. I remain a little skeptical of him and his approach, but he's still pretty young and sniffed the majors this year and then kind of further down. But like some hype around your guys like Jefferson Rojas and Alex Canario is another guy who I quite like and thought he was gonna mash some homers in the show this year, but hasn't quite. I think injuries derailed him the last kind of year and a half or so. So they've got a lot of guys that I think are really good on the hitters side, but the most underappreciated. And James Triontos too, I think he gets underappreciated for what he does. He's another one that's way too for our exercise, but his contact and speed combo. I think he's done really, really well the last couple of years, and I think he'll be a useful big leaguer as well. So that's like a lot of prospects already that are real pretty good man.
Speaker 2: I'd rather talk about Aliens and Cubs pretty boys.
Speaker 3: Well, let's talk about Jonathan Long then, who I don't know if you recall what his his ownership percentage was, and we've talked about mister Long before, no relation to Jeff Long. I don't think I think Jeff would have mentioned that.
Speaker 2: Oh, so Long was that two percent in September?
Speaker 3: Two percent okay, so pretty close to our thresholds and one would one hundred percent have been my pick if he.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I just felt like we talked about him enough this year that that would have been kind of yeah. I don't know we did.
Speaker 3: But I wanted to come circle back around and highlight that I really appreciate his patients at even advanced levels. You know, he made it up to double A this year and I think was really really good there and his ability to limit strikeouts. I mean, on the year, he ran out twenty point seven percent strikeout rate, which is quite good, especially given the fact that he popped seventeen homers and twenty one doubles in less than five hundred plate appearances on the Earth. So that's like those are pretty solid rates like that poortends some twenty five maybe plus homer power I think at peak not going to be one who's going to run a high babbit, But I think if he can raise his launch agle just a little bit more, this has been the thing with him that like it's a little like you mentioned in this system, touched to ground ball heavy, and he's got the juice and the contact skills to make the most of his flyballs. If he can just get a few more of those line drives into fly balls, there's a world in which he's a thirty plus homer bat with good on base and is a middle of a lineup Masher.
Speaker 2: Talking about his launch agle talking about him is lyft. He's kind of an extreme opposite field guy, right, Yes, thirty eight percent APO, So he's letting the ball travel on him quite a bit. And I don't think it's like you can't catch up the velocity or anything like that. I think it's an intentional approach to hitting. If you did start to hit the ball out in front more, wouldn't that lead to more fly balls just naturally the way that a swing path works.
Speaker 3: So it's a little bit counterintuitive. I think because we talk so much about the value of a pulled fly ball that we associate the two. But what actually happens with the swing path is that the more opposite field you go, the more likely it's going to be a flyball. So flyballs to the off gap, to the other way are much more common than flyballs to the poll side. Generally speaking, there are guys who like, if you got a really flat batpath, you know, Alex Bregman or esk Paratus, and you're really trying to get it out front, like you're really kind of selling out for that kind of pulled flyball. But mostly you see pulled balls are on the ground. And that is one thing that he does pretty well is that he's not a huge worm burner. He's just kind of a spray guy, right Like he'll go all over the place, and as you mentioned, his his propensity to go the other way I think does limit a little bit of you know, he's got the juice to leave the yard to center and the opposite field. But if he was more middle of the diamond, more like you know, Freddy Freeman esque, where it's all middle, it's all middle, maybe he would get some more of those homers too. So one thing you know, he wrote, he wrote a pretty high Babby in double A and a lot of that was on opposite fields, hits doubles and singles the other way. He's not a high babbit guy long term for me, maybe a slightly above average guy. But I do think that he's got a above average slightly above average babby skill and the power to hit homers to all fields. And at twenty two at double A, like, let's see him start the year keep crushing double A and make it up to triple A. And I mean, I think the Cubs have a real first basement on their hands here if he can keep showing this kind of stuff, and I don't think enough people appreciate it, just how good his season was. And last bit for me on him is that he projects right now. Steamer thinks if they chucked him in the majors right now, he'd run a ninety nine WRC plus as a twenty two year old, and that's I guess age twenty three season upcoming. That's pretty good. That's a rare thing for one that young. That Steamer already thinks that he is a league average bat. Now he's got to be a bit better than that to really play at first base, obviously, but that to me says that in a year or two we might be looking at a guy that is a real contenders first baseman in the making.
Speaker 2: He had a really nice AFL season. I think that got him a little bit more attention, but not a bad pool there from the Cubs with their ninth round pick from last year. Really good season. Yep, So you and I were both calling Escobar.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, officially okay, with a head nod towards long but yeah.
Speaker 2: Moving on to the Cub's arms, you're talking about a system. Most popular guys Kate Horton at fifty three percent rostered, then Caleb Killian at five, Brandon bird Cell at three, man Jason Wiggins at three, Cole Franklin at two, like it is. I don't know. The cubs pitching conveyor belt here has been pretty lackluster. I think for maybe a few years, getting down to the zero one percenters. I don't know. I guess maybe there were a few guys. I'm still a little bit interested in my pick from last year, Grant Kip, who has heard a lot this year. He was in the AFL some but I landed on an undrafted free agent.
Speaker 3: Well, hang on, before you get into your pick. You know, my boy, Jack Neely, Yankees b side from Yankees beside arm from last year, got traded into the system this year and kept doing his thing at the upper miners, just punching everybody out, kept the walks in check. I think he still looks like a late inning leverage reliever for them, and you know it's upper nineties. It's a hammer slider. He is a power writy that is going to slot in Nicoly at the back of our pen. I think next year, Like, I think he's a big league arm. I mean, he's on the forty two. So I think Neely is going to be a leverage reliever for the Cubs next year. Whether the Cubs are good and whether he's getting holds and stuff like, I don't know, but Ne's Neelly's going to be in that pen. In my opinion.
Speaker 2: Seems like they might have a collection too of relievers with some open jobs and who's going to take it sort of thing. So yeah, the Cub's relief situation next year is I think interesting for dinas or for fantasy for sure. But yeah, man, I went with Nico Zeglin. Familiar, Yeah, right on. Forgive me, I don't remember who it was. But somebody was chatting about having seen him this year in the discord, and I had to just like chime in a little bit and be like, yeah, man, I agree. Of course he's older. He's twenty four, maybe he'll be twenty five at the start of the season. And he pitched just in a ball and High A this year a total of sixty six innings, so you know, perhaps he was a bit more of an advanced college arm from Long Beach State, and like, yeah, maybe he should be doing well in the lowers like this, but I don't know. Man, six ' four righty arsenal, Like I don't know the fastball I saw anywhere from like ninety to ninety six. He's got slider, curve, change up. You know, he's got the full starter's kit. I think there's he's a righty, but I think there is a little bit of I don't know, maybe a little bit of funk to his release, maybe a little bit of a lower lower release point, do you think, yeah, a little bit, yeah, And twenty seven and two thirds innings in High A point three three era point eight three, whip thirty one point four, strikeout percentage eight point six percent, walk rate swinging strike rate of sixteen point two percent. But I don't know, man, just video reviewing, I don't know a dozen guys from this system. Zegland was just kind of a no brainer for me that I that I liked the most is a long term potential. Maybe he gets to the bigs. Obviously it will depend on how it goes in the uppers. But you know, a full kit, decent enough stuff can execute it fairly well, Like, let's see what happens. I don't know, you Goozeglin.
Speaker 3: Yeah, Deglin was fine. Seemed relievery to me, and in what way? Just I felt like that, you know, they were already using him in a reliever type of way. He's an undrafted free agent and that is old, like right, he's gonna be twenty five next year, and just sniffed Hi a uh So, you know, I looked at him a bit too, thinking like, oh, maybe they're just slow playing him after long year whatever it is. Ah, maybe, But.
Speaker 2: I think there's there's a couple and this is obviously just all speculation from from our seats here, but I think there's a couple of different ways you can look at that sort of stuff, Like he's an undrafted free agent, right, there's with the condensing of the minor leagues, there's there's stress and more pressure. Like the teams will have a lot of guys that they want to get like three hundred developmental innings too, so for an undrafted guy to push guy another guy out and get those innings, that could be a thing. The strike throw, I mean, he's sixty nine percent a ball, sixty six percent on the year. I don't think there's I don't think there's any execution issues as far as can he start or not. I think there's there's arsenal there to do it. I think there's enough ways to attack different hitters. I'm just kind of leaning and wondering that like this was more about him just breaking through some guys that they maybe had some bigger plans for.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and I don't I don't disagree with that that part. And maybe he picks up where he left off in a full starter's workload at high A or or maybe even up into double A, like they're going to need something. You know, they're an interesting system as far as their arms, even their good ones like Horton, you know, older injury. How much is he going to pitch.
Speaker 2: I don't know. So I don't think there's a lot of good ones.
Speaker 3: Yeah, No, I don't at all like this is this system was really tough. Even like you said, the quote unquote pretty boy arms that are higher than our roster percentage limits. I don't really like.
Speaker 2: Yeah. So again, like I'm not saying I'm not rostering, I'm not drafting them fypds or anything like that. But watch and you know, I think I think he's got it in him to get to the uppers this year and maybe have some success. And if he's doing that at twenty five in maybe a weaker system, maybe he gets this. Maybe maybe he has a chance. I don't know.
Speaker 3: Yeah. Well, I mean I can't really talk in this system because the two guys that I liked along with Zeglin that I kind of was choosing between. If you smushed him together, I think he got a pretty good pitcher, but separately they both have some real issues. The two guys that I liked were Kenton Egbert and Juan Bellow. Bayo egg is also an under after free agent from last year from twenty twenty three who didn't pitch last year and then started sixteen games, twenty three total in a ball the whole year, ninety seven and two thirds innings, twenty six point five percent strike at rate, eight point one percent walk rate. You know, decent fIF decent average suppression. The issue was like, he's a funky, long levered guy with a good fastball. Like this fastball looks like it plays, it's he looks like he's got a little bit lower release point but good extension. It runs, it rides, and hitters really seemed to struggle with his fastball. But all of his OSCR pitches I didn't really like. I don't think any of them was all that good. Seeing him with the like try and get guys out, like I mean, decent strikeout rate, but a lot of it was on fastballs up that a ball hitters couldn't really hang, and he took advantage of that. And he's twenty two already in low A for the whole year. Like again, he's probably behind some guys organizationally, but he did enough to meet for me that I'm like, oh, that's an interesting ish guy, and he has a fast ball that I think is interesting. And the other guy, the guy that I'm actually gonna choose, I don't even feel good about it. Is Juan Bao Bao great offspeed. I thought his slider was good, movement profile really got guys all flummoxed, lefties, righties. I thought it was good. His curveball might have been even better. And he runs them in different velocity bands, so they're like clearly separate. And when he was throwing his off speed, guys really struggled to make contact and to hit the ball hard. But his fastball is eighty eight and it's not a like eighty eight with that, you know, I would defend you know what I mean, Like it's it's an eighty eight that's not getting whiffs, it's an eighty eight that's not getting grounders. No, no, not at all, or a red van scooter or a bunch of these other guys that we've like, I think eighty eight mile on air, Isaac Coffee and those kinds of fast can play when they're unique, when they have some funky traits to them. BeOS is not that. So like if you paired Kent and Egbert's fastball with Jean Beo's offspeed, that might be an interesting picture. Unfortunately, there are two different guys, and I'm gonna go with the one that spins it a bit. I don't feel good about it, though, and I really can't recommend either of these guys that much.
Speaker 2: We've talked about you talk about K minus BB percentage, right, Yep, you're familiar. You know. Do you know who Kyle Bland is pictureless?
Speaker 3: Yeah?
Speaker 2: Yeah, I been wanting to mention this for what four episodes now, and I'm finally remembering too. But I was watching he and h forgive me, I don't remember who the other two folks were, but Pittreless he was just kind of talking about and I think maybe unveiling his projections for this upcoming season. I like Kyle because, of course, he's like a really smart numbers guy. I mean, he's like inventing metrics and stuff, right, it has tons of good information. But what I like about him is that he's really smart on that of things, but he also like contextualizes it and like makes it makes sense with baseball, and it hasn't been like baseball mine too. You know, I'm gonna paraphrase and summarize yere, but long story short, he's talking about different metrics numbers and how he's including different things and his projections and maybe some other people aren't blah blah and all this stuff right, But then he also is like, but like, still K minus BB percentage might really just be more predictive than any of this as as simple you might think it is or whatever, Like, it really is one of the best predictive metrics out there, per Kyle Bland. And if he says that, I believe that Nico Zeglin K minus BB percentage this year twenty nine point one percent.
Speaker 3: That's pre period.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but anywhoo, I thought you'd maybe like hearing that's from from Kyle Bland.
Speaker 3: Yeah. Nice when smart people agree with you. You know, I'm a big fan of K minus BB. And if a guy with great stuff isn't doing great on the K minus BB, I question and how good that stuff actually is.
Speaker 2: You know, So talking to aliens is out of bounds. But you like playing lego man with two different pitching prospects and trying to put them together. That's that's okay. You can do that.
Speaker 3: Now. Listen, if you're alien congressional aliens, we know how to do that. If you're if your alien congressional hearings, tell me that we can recreate one Bao and and uh Kent and Egbert in the aggregate. I like, now we're talking. Now you've got my attention.
Speaker 2: So BeO is your official pick? Right? Yeah, all right, so we got we got the Cubs out of the way.
Speaker 3: He's like, that's a bottom three b side them for me.
Speaker 2: Like, it's okay, fair enough, Matt the Saint Louis Cardinals. I gotta say, I don't know Matt as a whole. Just looking at these raster percentages. I wasn't like super into a bunch of dudes on either side. Yeah, I don't know the bat that I landed on. This is a little bit different for me. But I'm gonna go with Ian Patrus, first year player, guy from Alabama when but he was rostered in zero percent of leagues in September. But I know he's getting a little bit of attention a little bit, folks. I think given Beck was kind of interested in him.
Speaker 3: Curious hat a hell of a debut, right, Like, that's one of the loudest debuts.
Speaker 2: He did twenty eight games after the draft, all in a ball one hundred and fifteen played appearances, no home runs, five stolen bases, pots caught once walked fifteen percent of the time, struck out only eight percent of the time three forty four, forty two four thirty three point zero eight nine ISO three eighty eight babip ground ball percentage of fifty two point five percent. Curious way smart people were interested, turned them on and watched him. He's left handed, corner outfield type. I don't know. He's listed at six foot I bet you he's not six foot tall, but a little strong, you know, looking what is he now? He's twenty not twenty one years old, or at least he was this last season, But I got I wasn't like super impressed. Man. I don't like I don't like the swing. It just seems like a worm burner, really kind of geared towards hitting ground balls. I think part of the reason why you don't see the slug or the ISO there or any home runs. I guess he had a couple of hard hit balls. A one hundred and ten one hundred and ten mile per hour single on ground ball, one hundred and eight mile per hour sharp line drive, one hundred and six mile per hour line drive, one hundred and four mile per hour ground ball. There's not loft in this swing. Now, there was a guy that we talked about last year, Richie Pealacios, who was I think very much kind of a ground ball hitter. I think the Cardinal's unlocked and may have helped him get some more loft in his swing or change that up some. I don't not saying that every Cardinal hitter now will be able to do that or they'll do that with him. But Patruce is probably bottom five six bat for me this year, and I kind of just didn't really like anybody else. But I'm like, hey, this guy's already getting a little popular. Like maybe I'll just kind of be a lame out and throw him out.
Speaker 3: Well that sounds pretty lame of you. Yeah, No, I I tend to agree. I watched a bit of Pertrus as well and think that he does have some swing loft issues, but good contact and that's interesting to me. And yeah, maybe there's walk.
Speaker 2: I don't even walk twice as much as he's struck out. You know, from Alabama to a ball, it's not everybody's doing that. Yeah, yeah, yeah, So like, you know, maybe there's maybe maybe there's something here. I don't know, he's what they've they popped him in the twelfth round right for two hundred and fifty K. So yeah, I don't know. The imp Patrus probably my waynst pick of the year. What do you got?
Speaker 3: I you know, the Cards system is interesting in that a lot of their dudes are are either in the BIGS or have been, so, you know, their Triple A affiliate. It's awesome. I don't know, Like when I flipped through him watching it, like that's a stacked International league lineup when they're rolling out there with Walker, Gorman, Luke and Baker, like that's that's a bunch of big league quality hitters in there. Victor Scott two for a lot of the year. But there's not a lot of like really exciting even pretty boy names. Farther down the list for me in the card system, a couple guys we've talked about before, Nathan Church and says our Preeto both are this like slappy contact forward, some speed profile that the Cardinals seem to really like. Brian Torres was another one that's kind of an older guy that is very slappy, stole a bunch of basses, but barely hit extra base hits. I guess he legged out a bunch of doubles. But guy had two homers in five hundred and twenty eight play appearances this year, and all three of those guys like, that's a fun profile. I like contact guys, think each of them brings something to the table. But I wasn't. Yeah, I couldn't quite bring myself to pick another light, small slap hitting guy. So I went with Matt Caperniac. You watch a bunch of Coperniac this year.
Speaker 2: I'm familiar. He was definitely a guy that I've watched the last few years. He uh was just added to the forty man too.
Speaker 3: He was, and I was encouraged to see that I had picked him before I'd seen that. But I had a guess that he might be just given both his level, you know, he was up in Triple A all year, led the International League in hits this year. Undrafted free agent from twenty twenty, but really worked his way through the system and mostly performed really well. Like the only couple of times he didn't immediately settle in as an above average bat was his first stint in a Double A in twenty twenty one, when he ran a ninety four WRC plus, and his first stint at triple A in twenty twenty three when he ran a ninety seven WRC plus. So like, the guy's a good hitter everywhere he goes, Gonna be twenty seven next year. Probably is like injury insurance for some of their outfield in Saint Louis is my guests. But as I mentioned, he led the International League in hits. He has kind of a funky, flat swing, but he still has enough juice in there to leave the yard to the opposite field. He popped twenty homers this year, stole five bags, and I think that that's probably right. He steals have never really been a part of his game. He's kind of hovered in the high single digits for the most part in stops in the minor leagues. So not a burner by any means, but controls the strike zone well enough. You know, never has had high strikeout rates. Again, you watch him swing and you kind of see why. It's a flatish swing. He's definitely gearing up for contact. Has always run decent walk rates. This year was more league average ish, but still that's solid when you've got twenty homers in the bat there maca prettyek to me, is just like reminds me a little of Matt Krun last year when I was talking about guy who toiled in the minor leagues for a decent while. Has kind of an interesting story. He played for Great Britain in the World Baseball Classic last year. Because he was born in the UK, I think American family, I think military family maybe, But he went to a small school, undrafted free agent and then has basically just done nothing but hit and do pretty well and plays all three outfield positions. Seems like a passable centerfielder without being exceptional to me, but can definitely play the corners. And yeah, Matt Caperniac. I liked enough about the overall shape of his production that that seems like a big leaguer to me. And Steamer projects him as a ninety three WRC plus coming into the year, which is fine. You know, you don't really want to see that in left field or right field, and if he's playing center field for your team, it's probably not what you want to see. But as a serviceable backup that maybe he gets some run, maybe he does a touch better than that, I could see that playing. So Matt Caperniac is my B side pick and I don't feel awful about it. He's somebody that I might look for in some of my thirties where I need a bench insurance outfielder kind of thing, and he's free. He's zero percent.
Speaker 2: When I look, I dozed off. There were you talking about Matt Coperniac. Yeah, I'm just kidding. He's just boring that boring profile.
Speaker 3: Ye, boring guys who hit above average at every stop along the way and hummers and we'll stand back.
Speaker 2: He probably better, probably better call the mind. Mine was lame and yours is boring. But yeah, probably got a big lead shot coming. Otherwise they wouldn't adden to the forties.
Speaker 3: So that was my thinking.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, yeah, you're probably smarter there than me. All right, who you got for a Cardinal arm here? Who'd you go with? Last year? I don't remember.
Speaker 3: Ian Bedell was my last year and he was okay. Yeah, some of the stuff took a little step back. I thought I wasn't quite as good. I still like him, and as you know, he's a Cardinals kind of depth arm where the strikeouts aren't going to be there, but he doesn't walk a ton, and I think the deal was still was Legit wasn't as cool.
Speaker 2: As wasn't as cool as mine, But yeah, not a bad pick.
Speaker 3: I'm fine not being cool. So there were two arms that I really liked in this system.
Speaker 2: This is a loaded This is kind of a loaded bitching farm.
Speaker 3: I think there's some fun guys in here. I don't know. I don't know who you ended up with, but there were quite a few that I looked at as like, oh, that sort of an interesting guy, and there's something there.
Speaker 2: Well, I don't, I don't necessarily, I'm not just more like on the pretty boy side, like tink Kent's forty one percent, Quinn Matthews thirty percent, Roby twenty one percent, Duerpe nineteen percent.
Speaker 3: Give me Matthews over any of those three any day.
Speaker 2: Greevy nineteen percent, Grousepo fifteen percent, Robert seven percent, Clough and Stein is six percent. My guy from last year, Lynn, he's up to three percent. Yeah, there's a several two percent guys that were like in the lowers that are interesting to me. But yeah, a big difference from a year ago. I think when we bruise this system.
Speaker 3: I agree with that, and that, like, like you said, there's a bunch of guys in there that are quite interesting personally set like kind of settled in on two that you know, check me if I'm if I'm off here, because maybe one of them is a little more owned than is our usual rate. But the first one that I'll talk about is Juan Salas. You watch Solace this year?
Speaker 2: Yep, he was zero percent in September.
Speaker 3: Okay, So Solace is super fun. I love the huge leg kick that he's got. Have you seen that thing?
Speaker 2: Yep? He was definitely on my short list of three or four here, but.
Speaker 3: Yeah, super fun leg kick. I thought his spa speed were really, really good. He had a great year a ball for the whole year, twenty two starts one hundred and what eleven innings, one hundred and thirteen innings, struck out one hundred and nineteen, walked only five point five percent. Like this guy goes after hitters, he really pounds the zone. He knows how to pitch. I like all of those things. My one issue for him is that his fastball was fine, but I kind of it's not like an elite angle or anything, and it's I think tops out at ninety four, so bordering on playable for alrighty, And I really like his changeup. His change up is super fun, threw it a lot, threw it in fun counts, and his curveball was as better of the breakers in my looks. I don't know if you felt that way as well. I thought he commanded that one pretty well and could get some whips with his curve. His slider was pretty mech to me. I don't know if you felt that way too, but that was the one that seemed like it had room for improvement. I almost wonder if he turned that into a bit more of a cutter, like, threw it a little harder, if he might have some more success. But one salce was super fun. I liked him a lot, and if if it wasn't for this other guy, I think I would have been pretty happy taking one sauce like I would have taken nim over. I think any picture we've talked about so far.
Speaker 2: You know I love young Mexican arms and Unsallas is that I think ultimately for me with him, it feels like a lot of the same from past, like young Mexican Arms that I liked that. I just don't know if the stuff is going to be enough. And yeah, I hear that. I feel like I want to bet on him getting better.
Speaker 3: I hear that for sure, And you know, as a twenty one year old in a ball it was it was a really good year, you know. But still that's a twenty one percent came min as b B, which is more quite good. And especially at a ball like you know, you want to see maybe a touch better or see that at an advance level like double A or triple A this.
Speaker 2: Day and age, you never know. Man. So there's a guy that we're going to talk about later than unbelievable jumps and just stuff this year.
Speaker 3: So I'm interested to hear hear that one the guy that I'm that I want to pick here, and you tell me if I'm off on my percentages. He was zero percent when I looked, But Darlin Saladein.
Speaker 2: He was he was two percent, and oh.
Speaker 3: Daggers, Daggers. Well, maybe I have to check down to Solace for my pick. But Saladin, Saladin was really exciting to me. I liked him quite a lot. The fastball has major league looking traits. To me, this is a Rule five eligible guy. I'm curious if somebody might try and pop him. He spent about half the year at low A and halfier at high so I'm thinking maybe they'll sneak him pass. And the other knock on Saladin is that he's a little shorter. I think he's like five ten maybe. But the fastball looked playable to me, and that is always a good place to start. There's a curve that he really likes, and he goes to a lot which I also quite liked, and then a slider or a cutter. I couldn't really tell. It kind of a harder breaker that I didn't see a ton of positive things out of, Like I thought it was like maybe below average at getting whiffs for a cutter slider thing. But then in an occasional change that I thought he could use more because it seemed like it played like he kept it below the zone one at that in particularly that I'm recalling where it was a three to two changeup that he shook two and dotted it just below the zone and got a whiff for the strikeout, which I thought was really nice. And I also liked his motion, like there's good flow to it's like easy. Everything about it is kind of easy and whippy. This isn't a smash the button go by this guy, Go try and acquire him. But I really liked what I saw. And you know, along these DSL guys that take a little bit to get going as arms, you know, he just doesn't have a ton of innings under his belt. He threw one hundred and twenty some innings and that like almost tripled his previous career high in the minor leagues, and he's still just at HI. Maybe someone tries to scoop him and stuffs him in a pen because they think he can be a reliever for a year or whatever. But I think he'll probably pass through the rule five pretty comfortably and get another year and see what he can do with the mid to uppers for Saint Louis. But Darlin Saladin is my guy for the cards.
Speaker 2: Pipeline had him fourteenth the last time I looked at other lists in their system. I like that call. I decided to go with another teenage armed Matt small sample look young infante. I don't know if you watch any of his well, he got in a total of thirteen point one innings thirteen and a third innings in a ball and not all that was broadcast. I'm not even sure exactly. Maybe half of those I watched, but he was nineteen this year, righty listed at six ' three from the Dominican his thirteen innings. I don't know, what do you do? It only struck out nineteen percent, twenty percent, struck out twenty eight percent in the complex, walked eleven and a half percent. Don't love that. Three strikes at fifty nine percent in a ball, but seventy percent on seventy percent on the complex. Small sample size, Matt, small sample size. This is UH turning on some video and getting a little bit on the edge of your seat, a little bit more excited than anybody else I watched down at this roster percentage. Well, he's a writing, he's got a little a little drop and drive a little bit lower release. I think to him maybe a little bit of an oddity to his whole delivery there. According to Savant, through four seamer sinker those what average about ninety three. But you see there's also something that touched ninety six. Ninety seven. Curveball was his most thrown secondary through that seventeen percent of the time. Again, this is this is a pretty small sample size. So there's a change up and there's a slider and I kind of thought all of the secondary the fastballs, all of the secondaries, and my little watch is like, especially for a teenager, seemed to be executed fairly decently. I thought like he was, he was pitching him mixing and I don't just really really caught me, really kind of impressed me for a kid. Last year, I went with a guy just kind of based on stuff and when that worked out, all right, I guess maybe not quite as much velocity here. I don't think he's touching one hundred, but I don't think that this kid has fully grown here. And yeah, I don't know, man, there could be a real starter year. I think there's plenty, plenty of time to let this develop.
Speaker 3: I like that change up you shared, that was thanks. Yeah, he turned it over pretty well.
Speaker 2: Yeah, there's a couple of the breakers looking real nasty at times. Like I don't know, man, I was just I was into it six innings or whatever the hell it was. Got to be interested in what teenagers they decide to pull up and give some aall a ball. It looks too.
Speaker 3: Yeah, fun little dice roll there. That's not when I watched Antio, So.
Speaker 2: I guess it's max fastball on the Savant was ninety six points three or whatever that's worth. Yeah, that'll play. You can live up there.
Speaker 3: I sure can't throw that hard.
Speaker 2: It's just always kind of interesting you watch some of these international teenagers come up and you're like, and then you get to you know, you get the juxtaposition. You get to look at I don't know, Ben Kundro when he was a teenager, you know, his first pro season, or Maddox Brounze or somebody like that, and you're just like, dude, this this kid that they signed for twenty k or whatever is like way better right now. So you know, if they were in the draft sort of thing, where would they get drafted? I don't know, but I was into this. Nice let's go to the Pirates Mac because the Pirates have the guy that I'm most into tonight.
Speaker 3: Ooh interesting, okay, but I'm gonna.
Speaker 2: I'm gonna let you go first. Let's go Pirates' Bats. I'll let you go first though.
Speaker 3: For the bats I, I don't know if we we mentioned him before, but Sammy Siani Sioni is not my choice, but like, I think this guy is likely to get taken in the Rule five because he seems like he can really play center field. His brother is a good center fielder in the card system, Mike, and they're you know, he didn't hit great at Double A this year, but he was really good at high A to start the year, and that got me intrigued enough I kind of followed him a little bit throughout the year. He's another one that I think is, you know, maybe a twelve homer bat in the BIGS, but like could have thirty some steals and play really good center field. Still some production, but I could see him getting popped. The guy I am gonna pick is someone else that I mentioned a little while back, Nick Simeo, Yeah, Samilo Samo You and I talked about him when I meant that he was having just a hell of a power run down in High Greenville, Greensboro, Greensboroboro, and in Greensboro. As you noted, they have a higher park factor anyway, especially for or especially for rightis, and that's worth noting. You know, overall it's like a slightly above average for hitters, but for righty's and especially for homers, it's it's quite high. And he was taking advantage of that. Right he was lifting and pulling.
Speaker 2: If you're hitting them the dead center there though I think it's legit.
Speaker 3: But see, that's the thing is he was doing that as well. What did I We were talking about somebody earlier, Escobar, I think for the Cubs, and I was skeptical of his homer and a flyball rate, and I was like, twenty three percent. Smeo had a thirty four point seven homer to flyball rate at Greensboro this year. So yeah, he probably didn't earn all of those homers, but the dude mashed seventeen of them two hundred and twenty played appearances. Seventeen and in two hundred and twenty played appearances is nutty. Now, of course, I'm not saying he's like the next coming of Joey Gallo or whatever, but there's real power here. You know. He's a big right right first base Mnata Rutgers. He's going to be twenty five this upcoming year and was more league average at a double A than really great and that should give you, I should give you some pause. Al Tuna's like a pretty neutral park, so you can't blame a ton of it on the park. I watched a lot of his double A games there for the curve. And the thing that I like about him that kind of sets him apart from some of the other right right kind of first baseman that you see around the minor leagues is I think his contact skills have actually improved as he's gone up levels. His swinging strike rate has gone down. He's I think, doing a pretty good job controlling the zone, walks in above average amount. And while Steamer is still skeptical of his strikeout rate, like project him as a slightly worse than average strikeout rate guy, and with the can I just okay OBP and power, I think there might be a tick better contact skills there than you see. I've seen him adjust pretty well. There was a really good at bad I saw late in the season in Double A, and he missed a slider like one one to go to a one two count like down and away, good pitch, and he swung and missed, and previously in that bat swung and miss at a fastball kind of up middle, but he adjusted, fouled off like four pitches, couple of sliders, couple of fastballs, and then Pitcher missed his spot and dude hit a nuke to center field like in Altuna like deep and has like that's just a really good at bat and I think demonstrated some of the Like you know, he ran an eight point five percent swinging strike rate in double A over you know, one hundred and eighty five played appearances, Like that's a decent sample for your swinging strike rate and that's plus and this guy also plus power, Like is he a forty homer bat like he was showing in Greensboro? No, but could he be thirty and could the strikeout rate help him get to that? Maybe he also was a flyball dude, which you know, I love for these power guys, Like he's going to get to his power and that didn't show up a ton in Altuna, but again it wasn't a huge sample size for the kind of home and a flyball rate to stabilize. So I think he's going to be a guy that is a corner masher and has has a real shot to be like a first baseman for the Pirates for a decent amount of time. Maybe not next year, but soon. You know, he's a really interesting corner power bat.
Speaker 2: To me, who is this who is this version of the Roough just loving on so many right handed first Basemen tonight.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's just like that's you know, nobody else interesting in these systems, right, Well, I am.
Speaker 2: I don't't lie. I'm thrilled that you did not pick my guy because I thought for sure you were going to and I knew that you'd liked some Millo to some degree. But I'm going with a guy that you brought up this year, young eighteen year old Xio Plaz.
Speaker 3: Yeah. Platz is a great pick.
Speaker 2: I love him, dude. And I was trying to not pick any catchers this year, but I had I had to make this, make this call here, my man hits the ball hard, dude. Yeah, how this is probably a top ten guy for me. Maybe who I guy for the draft, I don't know. We'll see Rastered in September. Not on Pipeline's list. Last I saw Catcher. I think he did play a little bit of first base, right handed. Listed at five to eleven. I don't know if he's quite that tall from.
Speaker 3: VENEZUELA little fire hydrant guy.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, yeah, for sure. Eight games in the complex this year. I don't know if that was rehab stuff for something. I don't know. Most of the year in a ball seventy six games, two hundred and eighty one played appearances. My man hit fifteen home runs. I swept the baby. He's not going to be stealing bases, walked eleven percent of the time. I'd strike out twenty nine percent of the time. Don't love to see that two seven three two four thirty eight slash two thirty one iso, and he ran a two thirty five babbit which was good enough for a one tow eight WRC plus hits it on the ground less than thirty five percent of the time, pulled the ball forty percent of the time. But mat to me, it's the compact, quick, powerful swing, dude. I pulled up his hardest hit balls this year. It's not necessarily the mile per hours that I like, but the results right. One hundred and twelve and a half mount so one hundred and thirteen off the bat home run was his hardest hit ball the year. One hundred and twelve. It was a ground out. One hundred and eleven was a double on a sharp line drive. One hundred and eleven line out, one hundred and eleven home run, one hundred and eleven line drive, one hundred and eleven line drive, one hundred and ten home run, his top what would be his ninetieth percentile one ball hit on the ground. He's hitting it hard and it's hardest hit balls are in the air. Obviously, catcher this young. Fantasy wise, I get hesitancy there. I get a guy who's striking out almost thirty percent. But mind you two, he's eighteen and this is what like a little over half of a season. Yeah, a ball like, I don't know, there's enough fump in this bat for him to be way more exciting to me than anybody else. Zero one percent with the Pirates.
Speaker 3: Yeah, you know, I'm a fan, and I think you nailed it. There's power, there's some patience, he gets the ball in the air. He's pretty fun.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I was surprised you didn't take him, man, And I'll be dropping videos of my picks here on Twitter at pitching Specs so you can see what maybe some of the stuff that we're talking about here. But yeah, I was surprised. It just a strikeouts or you just like Samilo that much and us further along.
Speaker 3: I mean, it's the strikeouts, and I think ended up sort of being kind of similar profile, right like that, I think Samila hits the ball harder and strikes out less at a higher level, Like you know, give me that reduction and risk. And I still haven't forgotten Plause for tricking me with his stupid DSL good numbers when I was going to take Bisio instead of him, and I took Plause and then two picks later Bisio goes.
Speaker 2: So maybe still there's history there.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I think I mentioned that on the pot at one point, but I still have some hidden resentment towards Axial. But no, I think that's interesting. And like you mentioned this guy at eighteen, Yeah, that's you could see some progression here in a way that a lot of the guys we talked about. It's tough to do that, but yeah, he's got some stuff to like for sure.
Speaker 2: It's kind of fun to think about if he had played the whole season in the FSL with his home run total might have been because yeah, fifteen and seventy six FSL games is pretty freaking unheard of. What was it? I think the league leader was what twenty nineteen? If that so impressive power stuff there in my opinion. Yeah, with the Pirates arm Farm Matt pretty pretty right.
Speaker 3: Oh my god, this system is fucking stacked arms.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I'm just stucking at the top. Obviously, Skiings he's not a prospect anymore. But Bubba Chandler thirty eight percent, Cela medow Is twenty three percent, Braxton Ashcraft was eighteen, Thomas Harritt Harrington eighteen, Hunter Barcos seven, Xander Moomouth six, Mike Burrows, who I'm a big fan of, six percent, Carlson Reid four percent, Michael Kennedy two percent, Josh Hartle, who's the first year player guy right two percent.
Speaker 3: Was four percent. That's a bummer because I want to talk about him.
Speaker 2: And then I got to say and then you know my guy from last year, Erkulani, No, I still have some interest in him. But there was a know, I got four or five guys that were, you know, on my short list here with the Pirates. But if you're a Pirates fan, I think you got to feel pretty good about what they've been doing with some arms the last several years.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and these are these are pretty boys that I think are actually really good, you know, with Tayler, Braxton Ashcraft, Thomas Harrington, Mike Burrows, Carlson Reedal. I'll talk a bit about like Salomatto. I think all of those guys are the real deal. Hunter Barco, it really impressed me this year. I was a bit skeptical, but he thought was pretty good this year too. This arm farm they got going here in Pittsburgh is really exciting. And you know, if i'm them, I'm probably trading a few of these guys to try and bolster their hitters because they're missing some pieces on the hitting side. But they, I think pretty quickly are going to have a rotation that can compete with freaking anybody. I mean, this is this is a good crop. Let me let me talk about Carlson read a bit because he was a new new one to me in diving into the system. And when I looked, I think he was one percent, but again I looked kind of late. This He is fun. I mean he's tall, six or four, lanky, long arms, long legs, gets down the mound. He's got a sinker, a slider, and a split. And I think when I was reading up on him doing some background, he mostly had been a reliever and people thought he was going to be a reliever, but Pittsburgh popped him in the fourth and we're like, we're gonna out of West Virginia, I think, and he's like, we're gonna try and make you a starter. But maybe Baseball America or somebody was like exciting stuff up to ninety nine. But it's two pitches, and really one of those isn't very good. I don't think that's true at all. It's a nasty sinker. He will throw a four seamer as well. The slider is really good and he'll go to it a lot. And then the split was nasty, and that's new, I think. I don't think he had had that before. But it's pretty good. The one knock on him is that the walks trended a little higher than I like, you know, approaching that kind of twelve percent mark. That's really my no go. But there were a lot of outings where it was like one or two walks, and so I'm it seems like when he's got it, it works really well. His arm swing is a little long for my liking, like he gets kind of behind himself, and I think that that might be why he can sometimes lose it. But the pure stuff and execution of that stuff is up there for among the best arms in the system. Like I'll put him right up there against Solometto and Ashcraft and you know, maybe a half step behind Chandler for like stuff. And he's twenty one, gonna be twenty two. Made it up to double A this was this was like, I guess he made it up to high. Maybe he didn't quite make the double, but he was so exciting to me. I loved my watches of him, and I think he's he's a really fun one. But I'm going to try and get some shares of soon.
Speaker 2: I think I was watching him a little bit this season, but yeah, not a guy that I was like super tuned in on.
Speaker 3: But yeah, I got just super super jazz when when I was watching him, and I was just like, dude, why is nobody talking about him? But you know, I guess if he's four percent like some people are, some people are in.
Speaker 2: So yeah, would you go with?
Speaker 3: Well, I decided to go with Dominic s Paracchi.
Speaker 2: Coach guy.
Speaker 3: Yea nice, Yeah, yeah I'll do I'll do the short version. You can dive a little deeper. Like my TLDR on him is that he is a solid lefty with a really nice slider fastball combo, and I think there might be room for some additional growth in here. But I liked a lot of what he did. You know, he's a small college guy, late round pick. This is like our fodder year for B sides. But the walks ticked up a bit when he got up to double A, but I think the skills were still there and it was just a bit of a blip. And his era balloons too. But he's one that I think a savvy Dynasty person might target as a throw in in some trades, and that might be profitable really soon, as like a pitchability, solid stuff lefty that has a chance to be in a back end of a rotation. So I liked him quite a lot. I don't know, what did you like about Paracchi.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so Paraci got my attention this year when he was in Greensboro, because I mean, dude, he was fucking dominating there. He was dominating in greens Yeah, yeah, striking out twenty eight point two percent, walking six point six eer just over to a whip under one. But dude, the most impressive thing that he did there was zero home runs, not a one, not a one in Greensboro. That's that's pretty phenomenal. So he got my to I actually picked him up in a few spots, but then you know, promotion came to double A where he got in ten games, eight starts, forty one innings and kind of I mean, I don't know, cliche, but guy's doing really well in low A in the lowers, right, But like, is this stuff good enough to play in the uppers, right? That's a huge question, and I think Paracchi just kind of fell victim to that. You look at his arsenal, it's a low nineties fastball, right, a low eighties slider, mid eighties change, and I think all, like you said, there's a curve ball in there too, But I think all of it's just like bit and bit lacking a bit vanilla. I don't know if he was necessarily like executing his pitches any worse or anything like that. From yeah, I didn't think so, no, no, no, I think it's just like really kind of a matter of like this new level, your stuff needs to be a little bit better. So that's my that's my hope with him. I like I like the frame six ' three, I like delivery, I'm sorry, six four, like all that stuff. I like him as a picture, but it's I think it's just gonna require an uptick in Arsenal to really kind of take off and be good and be a more legit major league candidate. But again, Matt, like, I don't mind thinking that needs to happen with guys, because it happens with a lot of guys these days.
Speaker 3: And so much of the underlying things that he does are there already in my opinion, so that if the stuff does tick up a hair, now you're really like, it's it's a super exciting guy. So probably I'm I'm with you on I think that's a good guy.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Yeah, I think it's definitely a I don't raster him anymore in my leagues, but uh, you know, if it comes out on a ball he's got i don't know, another tick on the fas a sliders firm, or maybe he's throwing more of like a cutter thing or something whatever, if anything's taken up a little bit, looking a little bit more tougher on hitters in double A, like, I'm gonna be quite interested. But yeah, Dominic Paracci, I probably in all my NL Central arms, man, I just kind of loosely kind of ranked them them all, and they're all my NL Central guys are just like all clumped up together. I don't know if there's anyone that I'm talking about tonight that I love significantly or like significantly more than any of the others on the arm side.
Speaker 3: Ooh, I'm interested to see these last couple that we talked about then, because there's yeah, I'm telling you, there's one guy I think is so good.
Speaker 2: Another note on Paracchi. One thing I noticed watching him. I'd be curious what Connor would maybe think about about this, But like he is kind of a fiery guy, you know.
Speaker 3: Like that, yeah, yeah, and he would have.
Speaker 2: Especially down in Greensboro, he'd have some just dominant stretches right where he strikes out like five out of six batters or whatever, right, get real pumped up about that. And he was like, I like, I wonder, I wonder about sort of like his psychology up there, because it seemed like it didn't happen often in Greensboro, but when things started to not really go his way, maybe there was a ground ball that got through or bloop single or something like that. Like I kind of felt like he like just kind of lost his moxy a little bit, and like that stuff kind of kind of bothered him and things started to like snowball on him in that way. I don't know, There's there's a few times where I was just like, well, well just just slow down, man, You got like a you got like another couple of innings. You got to finish this thing off. And I thought it was interesting because I think there were times where his velocity was like ticking up a little bit, maybe the fourth inning and stuff like that, and I'm like, well, that's interesting. But at the same time, I felt like he was weaker production wise and didn't pitch quite as well later in some of his starts.
Speaker 3: But well, as we like to preach, you know, velocity is and everything you hear that you stuff Yep.
Speaker 2: For sure, for sure. But yeah, needless to say, I'm interested there. Let's move on to the Reds, Matt. There might not be a difference between one side versus like, I'm not very I'm not very keen on my bat here, but I am really interested in my arm. So I want to start there. Okay, young Jose Montero, are you familiar? No right hander six ' two strong too, like dud Dude's got some muscle. These Venezuelan zero percent roster spent the whole season Florida State League twenty five games, sixteen starts, ninety six innings, three four seven ERA, A one point three eight whip, a K percentage of twenty one point seven percent, a walk percentage of eleven percent, which you know, neither of those are super appealing. Swinging strike grade of thirteen point one percent, three strikes at sixty two percent. But Matt, I went back and I watched some Montero from last season, and this is the guy who's fastball went from like eighty eight eighty seven to like maybe touching ninety to mid nineties on the regular this year. Oh interesting, Yeah, he added a lot of velocity there. I think the changeup was looking pretty freaking nasty, and I don't even think he was I don't even know if he was throwing one last year.
Speaker 3: He's got things looked really good in this video that you shared.
Speaker 2: Yeah, right, he's got a firm hiaties slider, that commanding. That might be his biggest weakness right now. I really think there is an MLB caliber like tool set here. And what's interesting, like with the walks, is that they weren't a problem last couple of seasons and they really ticked up this year. I'm kind of wondering, just this guy's got a lot more juicier stuff that he's working with. Maybe some calibration hopefully that's that's the reason why the walks were higher. But there were some looks, there were some outings that I was just like, now, this is like a good developmental sort of like case study for the Reds here and this guy has really ticked up. What are they gonna do with this guy?
Speaker 3: Yeah, like the ground ball tendency too, That's that's somewhat interesting.
Speaker 2: He was doing, you know, kind of maybe some piggyback and stuff. I don't know. He pitched, he went five innings several times early in the season. Maybe he had some shorter outings that he was like good in down the stretch. Maybe his last start wasn't so great. But uh, I was just kind of wondering if they were they were ratching him down a little bit just pitch count wise, and who knows. I mean, he's still just an a ball. Maybe a little fairal relieving could very well, you know, be the future, but he's got a starter's kit and I don't know, man I was he might be just a smidge more interesting to me than the other four guys here, But like I said before, it's all pretty close. But Jose Montero and I'm interested. I'm excited to see what happens with his just I think across the board improved arsenal and if you can rain that in some might be a dude.
Speaker 3: Yeah interesting shout. He's not someone I watched much, but that little video you got me get me a little little intrigued. Yeah, right, doesn't look so bad, well my arm I Yeah, he's another one that has some real warts, but some other really interesting things. I'm gonna go with Nestor Laurent. Can you watching Nestor this year?
Speaker 2: I'm familiar? Yeah, yeah.
Speaker 3: First the good. He had a top twenty five season by k mine. It's BB minimum ninety things I think as the minimum map, so you know, we're getting starters kind of workload. He was like twenty third or fourth, I think, with a twenty nine point seven percent strikeout rate and a seven point one percent walk rate, both quite good. The problems though, one He was twenty two at low A this year, where he spent most of the of the year, so that's like a little old, you know, he got a bump. His last couple of games were up in high but his dominating stretch in low A was a repeat from twenty twenty three, and he was pretty old for not like crazy old, but definitely old for the level for that being where he was all year. And I think the reason is because he's another guy with eighty eight to ninety one mile an hour fastball, and as a righty, that's tough to see that playing. He's Rule five eligible this year again, kind of rip and replace what I said earlier. I don't think he's getting picked, but I do think that he's somewhat interesting. As his change up is awesome. It really dives off the table. It was way too much for hitters at a ball. He ran like a seventeen point eight percent swinging strike rate. I think largely because he would go to his change up a lot and it really played off of his fastball. And then he's got a curveball that I thought was pretty good. He would spend that one below the zone as well. Command pretty solid too. He was throwing those pitches to different quadrants, missing below the zone when he intended to and hiding his fastball up in the zone when he needed to and made it work. I think he can do that at a ball, but I don't think there's the outlier traits for eighty eight to ninety one to play as he goes up higher. That's why I'm not that excited about him. Gave up like what one homer this year, which is pretty impressive throughout the whole year. Three over almost one hundred innings this year, so that's that's pretty good. But I think that's going to tick up if he's really just sitting eighty eight to ninety one. If the stuff does stick up tick up. Though, I really like the rest of what he has, so I thought there was plus to maybe double plus pitch in the change up. The curve ball was maybe average, the fastball was just way below average, and like off to see that working in the huppers. But I want to see it. I want to see him really get some run at high A and maybe double A next year and see if there is a real pitcher here. Otherwise it's probably just or depth because of the fastball playability.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I had laurent On, I don't know, final five or six here with the Reds. For me, the breaking ball game, I think is what I understand, the velocity stuff, what you're saying with the fastball. But to me it was like the breaking ball game just wasn't It kind of turned me off.
Speaker 3: But you didn't think as kurveball is any good. I thought it was kurball was solid.
Speaker 2: I mean to be honest at this point, what I watched some I don't really remember what it looks like. Yeah, yeah, I mean watched some in September. But my note here, my final note is fastball, change up guy. Breaking ball game is poop. Hard to read all that stuff on you know, just video. But we shall see. We shall see there. I mean the Reds man their arms, they're pretty boys there. They got some names, right, I mean Rhet Lauder fifty seven percent, Chase Petty twenty seven percent, former b Sadder. You only ag you are. It's thirteen percent of using the Biggs Ty Floyd Chase Burns of course, first year player, second pick in the draft, Connor Phillips, Line Richardson Adams Ronowski. I thought maybe you were gonna pick him, Matt, but he was two percent. I guess were you talking about him?
Speaker 3: I think I mentioned him before, but I'm not a huge Serwenhowski guy.
Speaker 2: Okay, but they got some they got some guys hererors all right. I was kind of at a loss when it came to bats here, Matt, I don't know again, So I just kind of went to my default, like some teenage hitter that I watched him in a ball that I was like, Hey, this guy kind of looks good sometimes. S Smith pineda nineteen year old corner outfielder, right handed, maybe about listed five to eleven. He's from Panama. Four hundred and twenty seven played appearances this year, nine home runs, nine stolen bases, walked twelve percent of the time, struck out twenty seven percent of the time. Not great. Slash line not great two thirteen, three, sixteen, three, forty six, one thirty four ISO two eighty Babbitt it was a ninety five WRC plus pulls the ball some. I felt like, maybe though that season line I don't think represents maybe kind of how good he was looking towards the end of the season as the season progressed. But in the savant sample hit a ball one hundred and ten miles per hour off of elizer Dishmy, which was a ground out, but I had some decent evs. I don't know, Matt, just a young guy. I thought maybe it wasn't nothing, that's all.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, yeah, I didn't love.
Speaker 2: I really struggled dude, Like.
Speaker 3: I didn't love my red choices here either. On the bat side, you know, they've got some interesting dudes at the top end of this system of varying degrees. You know, Hector Rodriguez I thought had an interesting season, and I know some people really like him, Cam Collier, Sal Stewart, Sammy Steffera. Each of those guys is exciting in their own way.
Speaker 2: They guy like confidant and who's the other guy who hits the ball and believably fucking hard? Oh you talked about Aril Almonte Almonte. Yeah, those two guys were just one percent hit the ball, like, yeah, zillion miles per hour. But I don't think they're like legit.
Speaker 3: No, al Monte didn't do enough this year to like I was intrigued, but he didn't put it together. Maybe he will next year.
Speaker 2: But my guy from last year, Ethan O'Donnell, like, I guess he was alright for Kyle's guys stole thirty bags, but he wasn't nearly as good as.
Speaker 3: I mean, I was just gonna I was just gonna follow up and double tap that because I didn't like really anybody else like and nothing really new to say here. He wasn't as good as his short, small debut. I was hopeful that the Reds might unlock something because Virginia is in a great place to develop as a baseball player. I think that's been kind of proved out over the years, so maybe there's still some upside there. Like you said, it's it was some bags. It was I don't know, maybe there's an approachier, but the strikeouts ticked up, and I don't love the profile personally, like he's pretty low down my bat list. But no, I thought it was a good pick by you last year, and I was going to give you some kudos and double tap this year.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I was. I took him in a d aft I think like fourth or something. I've had a lot more hope there than it kind of turned out. But yep, you know, who knows, he's still what. He's only twenty two two, and he'll be a double next year. We'll see, we'll see but all right, so I'm going with uh some loser teenager. You're going with o'donald. Yeah, all right, let's move away. We got just one left right, just Milwaukee. Ooh, the Brewers. All right, man, let's start. Let's do the pitching side first. Okay, so they're pretty boys. They got Miserowski at forty eight percent. We've talked a lot about him and his future as a reliever. Robert Asser thirty eight percent. Guess you're still wait is guys, you're still with him? Okay? Uh? With Krowsky eighteen percent? Your boy Thatch was a great call last year. Logan Henderson's at twelve percent, Coas Rodriguez eleven percent, Josh Note eleven percent, Casey Hunt seven percent. Who is uh you know has definitely has his stand specially in the discord. Shane Smith is three percent, Bishop Letson was two percent, and then everyone else was like zero maybe two guys at one. But who did you go with? Matt?
Speaker 3: Okay, this is the guy I mentioned before that this is the most I think he's my number one beside arm this year. There's a couple that might challenge him for this, but like he was the one that I was like hell, yeah, okay, Chad Patrick, I'm so in Yeah. So he got added to the forty.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 3: He spent the whole year at Triple A and kind of dominated. I mean he led the International League in strikeouts better than everybody else. Other some other guys had better strikeout rates and would have exceeded, like I think Bubba Chandler was like one behind him or something and through fewer innings. But man, Chad Patrick is real sexy as an arm to me, it's a cutter first approach, which I love, Like that's fun. Who wants to lead with the fastball when you can lead with a better pitch and it is good. He's got a four scene with plus ride and I think a decent release point, so I think it plays up from his like you know, ninety four or like ninety two to five kind of range on the four seamer, but it's like twenty four hundred RPMs, which is plus given that velocity, and a distinct two seamer that has a totally different shape and he uses it differently. He uses it into righty's and runs it away from lefties like he I mean, I love that, Like that's three hard pitches. That he pitches off primarily. He has three more pitches that he'll throw, his change up, his slider, and his occasional curveball. I think his slider is really nasty. He just doesn't really have great command of that pitch. His command of his other pitches is really good, but his command of his slider is not great. But nobody fucking hits it. He's got like a fifty percent with rate on that slider. He just you know, sometimes has a zone rate of like ten percent. Like I went through a bunch of his statcast data and every game it was like ten percent sliders. Four of them were in the zone and two got whiffs. The other ones they spound because like they weren't going to swing it at him. So you know, he's he's got a really really interesting arsenal. I think he should throw the slider more. But other than that, I'm I'm just like, this is a big league pitcher, and I think quite a good one. Like I could see him slotting in as their you know, number four or five starter and outperforming a bunch of guys in in the major leagues as a starter, and at b side levels of roster ownership. That's like, sound the alarm, go get this guy. He I think is going to be a good major league starter and not surprising that Milwaukee just like turned you know, he has been traded twice, has been around the league. Was a small school guy like he's you know, Perdue University, Northway, US. What the fuck even is I don't know, Like I watched a bunch of.
Speaker 2: Old videos Indiana somewhere.
Speaker 3: I watched a bunch of old videos of him from college and they're like working out in like a high school gym or something else, like he doing. But he is, he's so good. I'm I'm way way on Patrick.
Speaker 2: I think that I didn't see that he's okay.
Speaker 3: And unfortunately, in a couple of my deep leagues, he's already rostered by the sharpest guy in our league. Like he's this guy he's he's is so good at this And this is a classic pickup for my buddy Pat because he's Pat is really sharp and Chad Patrick, this is a great, great gift for him, just last little thing on him. So his last five starts in the International League were against Baltimore, you know, so like a bunch of those like baby Oh's had graduated but that was still a pretty good lineup the Cardinals, who are already talked about that triple A line up was quite good. A lot of major leaguers and major league talent in there. The Braves and the Marlins. They're they're fine whatever. The Braves twice and the Marlins twice. And in that run, the last five starts, he ran a thirty nine percent strikeout rate, five percent walk rate for a one eight eight fit. It was nasty to watch, and that included one like kind of shaky outing against the Braves. But he came back, you know, five days later against the same essentially the same lineup and went sticks one hit, one walk, eight punches against the lineup that had just tagged him for four runs the five days before. Like, this guy can fucking pitch and it is so nasty, Like this guy's How was this guy not more owned? Is my like question?
Speaker 2: Right? I think he get I think he gets the is older, Yeah a bunch for like, well, let's hey, guys, what's his velocity?
Speaker 3: Yeah, I mean it's like ninety two to five. It's not awful. And with the ride that he gets, like that pad fastball is really good.
Speaker 2: I don't know, the dynasty. They just kind of hate these guys sometimes that are dominating these second hardest level.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and he was he was a fourth rounder, so like not nothing, and multiple organizations have wanted him in trades, so like, I don't know, he's basically been quite good all of the minor leagues. He was fucking awesome this year and he's you know, he's like going to be twenty six going into next year. But Steamer loves him. Four two three er projection from Steamer for a guy that hasn't been in the major leagues yet, Like that is so good. And you know some of that is because they think he might relieve some so that usually depressed it, like it brings down the era a bit. But but I think I also saw you know, Sarahs in his stuff model really liked him too. So yes, man, I'm telling you this guy is Chad Patrick. If he gets some run, and I'll tell you, like the Milwaukee starting pitching, I think they're gonna have some openings. You know, they're they got Peralta at the top, maybe woodruff shoulder is.
Speaker 2: They ain't gonna sign anybody, know that.
Speaker 3: They're not gonna sign anybody Tobias Myers was awesome, like great story for him making good and he's decent volley. I think I would prefer Patrick straight up. Aaron Ashby hurt all the time they had him in the pen. Maybe they're gonna start him again, Gasser hurt like he's not probably gonna be ready for the start of the year. And then of their you know, like their pretty boy arms, they've got some good ones, like you know, I love Logan Henderson, Carl Stroi, Reguez got a little bit of run this year. Patrick is a more complete pitcher than Henderson Henderson. I think the fastball change up combo is is elite, but his slider still isn't quite there. And he was obviously hurt for a decent check of last year too. But man, that that Patrick guy so in it is so good.
Speaker 2: Nice. He shouldn't be one percent as many thirty team leagues that are out there and stuff like, you should not be one percent.
Speaker 3: And I'm telling you, like, if it looks like this, this is like a fourteen team, sixteen team, like this is an arm that is going to be useful, you know, like he might not be a start him every single time out kind of guy. But it's good.
Speaker 2: The Brewers they really like, They really value like stuff plus type models and the highbrow pitch characteristics types, and I think it's kind of their efficient, maybe cost friendly way of doing a lot of their pitch evaluation. So I'm not surprised that the guy that I landed on kind of fits that. I'm gonna go with Tate Coooner. I don't know if you're familiar. He was a twenty twenty three seventh round pick out of Louisville. He was mostly he was mostly a reliever in college, but I think he's on a bit of a starter track now. Like we like lefties that might have a little bit of a different arm angle. I think he's definitely got that. He's kind of, I don't know, three quarters side army, sort of more upright guy, a little different looking. He spent last season one hundred and four total innings, thirty five of those in double A and sixty eight of those in HYA. His K percentage went from twenty nine percent to twenty two percent. His walk rate is not great. Was that twelve percent went to fourteen percent. And we don't like that, Matt. This is not like our kind of guy, I don't think, But dude, I think the whole arsenal I think could be nasty as shit. He's no excuse me from that sort of different looking fastball. He gets that up there to the mid nineties on the regular. It's pretty good for a lefty. He's got a change up, He's got two different sliders, one that's more sweepy and one that's hard and firm that seems to be really tough on the hitters. I think there's a lot of upside in the arsenal all Brewers. Obviously, the strike throwing and the execution is what you want to see and has to improve if he's going to be a starter. But in watching him, like man, there are stretches where I'm just like, there's no way that this guy is walking eleven percent, like just flowing through like Montgomery. Dude starting off the game striking well, I guess that game. I think he started off striking out seven of the first nine hitters. The other two were walks, but like, dude, they were bogus walks.
Speaker 3: Man.
Speaker 2: I mean, I don't we don't have the greatest angle there, but I was just like, seriously, you're calling that a ball? Like they were a lot of close pitches, dude, and I kind of felt like it was kind of like that a lot. This is a guy that was just like all over the place and it was just like a lot of close misses. And you know, maybe still part of the progression of going from relieving to throwing some more innings. I don't know, but if there is an improvement in the execution, which is something that I don't like to bet on, I think this dude could really take off though. And he's interesting. I don't even think he made it on Clegg's Top fifty for the Brewers. Oh wow, I thought was surprising. I bet you're the pitch. The stuff plus stuff is high on this guy. Yeah, I don't know. Tay Kooner is already in the uppers. Let's see, let's see what happens here.
Speaker 3: No, I like I like this one, you know, even control concerns aside. He's an interesting arm. Let's see what the stuff does. And you know that the Brewers kind of they're they're happy to let that stuff play out, you know, and yeah, worry about the walks later.
Speaker 2: For sure, you know. Like I think I said at the discord today talking to Maddy backpack and like, if you got a lefty with like some unique basketball qualities and is getting up into the mid nineties, like I'm intrigued. Yeah, for sure, Milwaukee Brewers bats man, I'm going to uh go back in time a few years and bring back up and pick and select Ernesto Martinez Junior. It's a good pick who I liked when he was an a ball as kind of a unique profile in that he was a big guy, a big lefty. I don't know if he was primarily playing first base back then. I think he might have been. But steels, bags, hits home runs, and he can play center field, like he was actually playing some center field this year. I don't think that's where he like sticks. But I know the Brewers they signed him as a minor league free agent, re signed him, you know. And I saw a little article at that time last offseason where they were talking about how they still feel like there's big league upside here. I know a lot of his development, there was a lot of injuries early on in his career. The Brewers said, I think for a minute now kind of struggled with the first base position. Looking for some guys. Point is like, I think there is a legit opportunity for this guy to get a shot in the BIGGS. On the season all in Double A as a twenty five year old listed at six six, he one hundred and ten games, four hundred and fifty seven played appearances, hit thirteen home runs, stole twenty bags, got caught five times, and I saw him. I know at least two of those were him getting caught trying to steal third, and I did see him steal third a few times. Walked nine percent of the time, struck out under seventeen percent of the time two eighty four, three sixty five, four sixty six, one eight to two ISO on a three twenty two babbit That was good for a one forty six WRC plus in the Southern League. I don't know, maybe probably more of like a line drive hitter, but he's got enough enough juice in the bat to hit some home runs. And I don't know, man just like kind of a different, I think, potential fantasy profile. If he does ever get any run, the guy could trip in some home runs and some steals, And that just was kind of big been a fan and dude's an all dream I think is still still alive here. And I really love a lot of the other bats a zero one percent. So I'm gonna bust out or Neesto Martinez Junior again.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I like Martinez Junior. He's a fun one to watch play. That's something that a lot of walking bats have in common that there just is something fun about that. And seeing a big guy like this move around as ethelically is as athletically as he does is a treat, you know, Like you see him stealing bags, it's it's it's like me saying something positive about Jose jos Way Depaula, like he's a big dude and loves to kind of steal bases and arnessa. Martinez has some of that as well. Like you noted, it's more of a line drive profile. He hits the ball pretty hard.
Speaker 2: It looks like to me, yeah, yeah, if he could.
Speaker 3: Lift it a little more like maybe this would be And I think did I include in the video.
Speaker 2: I think there was just an absolute fucking mammoth home run that he hit in the playoffs, Like, oh yeah, he did pull it, he did get it in there and do it. It was large.
Speaker 3: Yeah, No, he's he's an exciting one. And I almost went with him. I think he's a fun pick and I co sign as well in that way. But I'm gonna end, as we often do, talking about a funny looking, tiny guy.
Speaker 2: With funny looking fella.
Speaker 3: Funny looking fella that we've already talked about him before, so I won't believer the point, but I'm gonna go with arganamo for my bat.
Speaker 2: Oh man, Okay.
Speaker 3: Just the best batwaggle in the miners. Like it's maybe more about aesthetics than his actual ability to be a major league baseball player, but he's just so fun, you know, plays all over the infield, second, short, third. It's he hit ten homers this year. That seemed high to me. I just don't think he's going to hit a ton. He stings the ball and hustles, so he racked up thirty doubles too, not a burner. But he's a smart base sealer and two bags. So I think that the play here is he's a decent defender, maybe plays up the middle, maybe gets to seven homers, but chips in a bunch of steals and a decent average to go with it. He's an interesting one, and that his swinging strike rate is more good. Like it's you know, nine point six percent at high A this year, which is is okay, but he only had an eleven percent strikeout rate, And it's partly because when he's got two strikes, dude chokes up like three inches up the bat and really shortens up his swing and makes a ton of contact with two strikes. And he's a fairly aggressive hitter too, like in the balls in the zone he's gonna swing. Still still walked seven percent of the time this year, which was an improvement for him over the last couple of years. I'm this is not like a huge This is not quote unquote one of my guys. This is he's not doesn't have Durban's speed or level of bath to ball, but he is in that same kind of vein, and I think those guys get underappreciated, especially in your roto leagues where you need some cheap steals or in your points leagues where you're really penalized for strikeouts. This is a guy that could could succeed in that way. He's still got a long way to go, but he's just so fun watch him hit. It's it's hilarious. Every single time.
Speaker 2: It was it was more wild. Last year he toned down it was.
Speaker 3: He toned it down a bit. Yeah, yeah, I know, we talked about it.
Speaker 2: So those Carolina Mudcats, all those weird hitters with the you know, they're weird ticks and things that they did, are starting to get you know, this year we're getting up to Wisconsin, right, and Wisconsin will wear those broughtworst uniforms fromtimes time. You know, they look like German whatever suspenders and all that stuff. And dude, I had a game on where it was like Arian Namo and uh Luke Adams who like Adams stilly running. They just have so many of these silly looking guys and I don't know, maybe silly's mean, but you know, just just goofy looking, goofy. Yeah, And they had all these goofy hitters in this line up wearing those goofy uniforms, and I was just like, what what's going on here? Man? This is this is quite the minor league view here. Yeah. Blow yeah. The Brewers, man, they don't shy away from. They don't mind if you've got a little goofiness in your game. Oh, Tayton Hall was was one.
Speaker 3: I was gonna say, he's another one with a funny map. Yeah, you said nice things about Luke Adams. I like him. He's a good hitter.
Speaker 2: Yeah, well because he freaking walks like forty percent of the time or whatever, and you're just so in love with that. Love it that walk in the first stuff? All right, man? I think does that cover it?
Speaker 3: I think so?
Speaker 2: Wow? Did it got some good alien talking there too? Talk about some turkeys next aliens they will up?
Speaker 3: Man, oh man, good stuff.
Speaker 2: You are you like a skeptic, like like do you are you in denial like the rest of the world seems to be on this matter.
Speaker 3: I guess I just have to watch the hearings and have the veil lifted from my eyes.
Speaker 2: So it was like, what are you saying if there was like some big giant government cover up and all this stuff. I'm like, yeah, that's kind of exactly what they're talking about, you know, I'm doing so I don't know, all right, man, just wild to me, like we're more interested in like senior citizen dating shows on ABC or whatever, then like maybe there's intelligence that can save us from ourselves. But whatever world would do that, I don't.
Speaker 3: Know if that's happening, But if somebody wants to save us from ourselves. That'd be great.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's gonna be some opier Matt. All right, so I'll do it for episode forty five of the Prospect B Sides podcast. Again. You can follow me along on Twitter at pitching Specs. I'll share some videos. I'm also on the I also started an account on what's it Blue Sky? Yeah, yeah, so if you're over there, I don't want Muddy Looks. That's the name. That's my name, Muddy Looks. I've just been posting links to the show over there. So far, I think I've made one post. But yeah, next week, well, who do we have left? We have the Al East left too. I'm excited for that one. And we've got the Ale Central A Central. Yeah, maybe you want to do Al East next week or next time? All right, Ale East next that has my favorite B sider of the year. It'll be well and uh we'll talk to you next time.
Speaker 3: Sound schedule. Appreciate you.
Speaker 1: Five miles an hour riding too is Head. We have it down first, but the lumped on his face, and on the very next pitch he up and stole second face with gretest speed. He wasn't born he had the dirty Yes uniform,