Speaker 1: Are you ready to reclaim joy in your life?
Speaker 2: Why? Joy? Why?
Speaker 3: Now?
Speaker 1: Welcome to Joy Rules with me, Laurel, I your joy Guru. While the world looks like it's at a breaking point, burn out, stress, isolation, and overwhelm dominate the headlines, within all this, there's a longing for something deeper, something that heals beyond the mind. Joy fuels health, sparks, expansive thought, aligns us spiritually and connects us to one another. Join me as I weave astrology, intuition, and modern psychology to ignite your soul's highest alignments. Each week, I sit down with luminous guests who embody joy as a spiritual path, a creative force, and a way of life. So take a deep breath, open your heart, and let's dive into the joy. Because when joy rules, transformation becomes inevitable.
Speaker 2: It's for the soul.
Speaker 1: I know I say this every week, but I feel like a kid in a candy store. So I'm wearing a heart on my chest to celebrate the Leo energy. Because now the sun in the sky, whether you have Leo energy or not, is in Leo. The most generous, heart, centered, playful, childlike, joyful joy is a Leo construct. So we are in Leo season now, and not only that, but the planet Jupiter, the planet of wisdom, growth, optimism, expansion, the meaning and purpose of life, or as I love to say, the contract with God in the universe, which spends a year in each sign. And you've heard me talk a lot about that. Jupiter was in cancer, very emotional the last year for a lot of folks, a lot of stuff around, nervous system regulation, all of a sudden right, well, now Jupiter is in Leo, which means it's time to take your stage. Whoever you are in your life is, in other words, here I am world. And you know that thing that we say sometimes, you know, maybe some of us grew up with someone said to you, who do you think you are? Who do you think you are? Well, who do you think you are? It's time to be who you believe that you are. Because Leo is about shining. It's about knowing that you are the light of the world. We are all the light of the world to shine in our own unique way. And that's what I love about joy rules and the guests that I share with and that share with all of you, because I'm picking each guest according to the cosmic weather. I'm sure some of you figure that out, but I don't know that I've ever said it. So my luminous guest in the nest for this episode is my good friend Sonya Nielsen, whom I have known for probably about thirty years. And I have to just tell you, and this is the beauty of astrology, because again, Leo is the sign of Sonya is a Leo. Her rising sign is Leo. Her venus venus. You all have Venus in your chart. Venus is what you love. People that have Venus and Leo, they love love, they love to love. And so in the years that I've known Sonya, and mainly in a health capacity of it's always been about joy. So with that said, Sonya, welcome to joy Rules.
Speaker 2: Oh my god lord, I love this. You know we've gone down so many I'm looking at the road here, you know, the Wizard of Oz, and it always reminds me of you, because you have always brought joy, whether or no matter what you've gone through, You've always brought joy into your life. And and me as a Leo, I'm wanting to experiencing I want to experience it fully now because I know my cells want to vibrate to the light, to joy, to experience what they call the golden years. Right, Why do they call them the golden years. They don't call them the gray old crocke of the years. They call them the golden years. I'm ready to put on my gold jeans and dance for everybody.
Speaker 1: I'm telling you, Well, what I love about this for you is that you have written a book on youth thing and you thing. Because I was re listening to our watching our connection call earlier youth that's about Leo. That's that's Leo energy. So here you are, and I think you know again, I sort of went to bed with thinking about your chart. You know, you're born with as we've talked about many times, you're not just Leo. You're born with the planet of power and transformation and healing and regeneration Pluto next to your son. Well, you know that can be someone that really their whole life is about becoming comfortable with the power that they have, the power that they wield. And because you have Virgo energy in your chart, which is about being of service, I was thinking about this earlier. Leo doesn't give a crap about service. That's not Leo's job. Leo's job is to show up, and you do it everywhere you go, open hearted, ready for the experience. But again, for you, that whole health the service. So so this decision that you made, whether it was you know, subtle or over time, I mean immediate or over time, of no longer wanting to address the disease with people, but instead, uh focus your energy on living more fully, living more vitally. Will you speak to that.
Speaker 2: Yes, this was a big uh huh okay, because I was always really the virgo side of me would be liking to research and study, and if you had a particular issue, I'd go back into the old manuals of the old naturopathy doctors about you know, what to do. We had retail stores in one of the girls in the retail store had cancer, and I was I spent three or four nights researching it, you know, about her particular cancer. And I would take some things on so intensely because I knew transformation could happen and miracles exist, and natural healing is a power that I know personally, and that's why I wrote the book also to just share with you that natural healing is a power once you align yourself right, once you align yourself with the joy withinside of you, or connecting with your God force to lead the way. But now I found it like, okay, what about me? Leo would like, okay, what about me? And I'm like, ah, what about me? Well, I had cancer two thy fifteen, and I had to walk through the valley of death in order to come out on the other side. And as you know, Laurel lies, sometimes we have to process these emotions. We don't just go from angst to complete joint and vibration all in one second. Sometimes there's a process in this life. So that cancer took me into a process. And I was sitting on the couch and I did everything that I knew. But there were these and you would love this, being from New York. There were these great ladies being filmed with all these fun outfits and they were eighty five and ninety years old, and they were having the heck of a good time. And I thought, that's what I want to do. That's what I'm gonna do. I'm gonna wear all because as an older person you can wear fashion, you know, you can have fun. I said, I'm gonna put on those gold jeans. And I said this ten years ago, and I'm gonna get up on stage and say you can too. You know you can too if you know your why, what is your purpose? And if you don't cultivate it. And that's part of the reason why I wrote the book. You thing is how do we cultivate it? You know? So that's in the book.
Speaker 1: Well, and what you say, let me see here. I don't have the lights on very well, but because I've got to put my glasses back on. You say, on page ninety one, you're talking about the different ways to cultivate joy. I mean to cultivate health and longevity. We cultivate joy, the often forgotten nutrient that tells the nervous system you are safe. Well, you speak to that. I read that earlier and I said, I got to ask her that because that's important for everybody to hear.
Speaker 2: Well, everyone's talking about nervous regulation right now. It's tie cheese all over TikTok and Instagram. And I'm glad it's come back because my book doesn't only say you think that's the intention, but the ancient rejuvenation practices and the science of longevity. So with the nervous regulation. People are wanting another way out because they're over stimulated. Thing is over stimulation everything, the cities, the networks, the social media. We are hooked. Okay, the gambling, the overeating, the over drinking, all this messes with your nervous system and so your dopamine receptor sites are blown out and you really don't know how to calm down. Now. Things that I introduce, you know, our five HTP, which is a nutrient to help build natural serotonin. There used to be a book called pro Potatoes, not prosac written by a wonderful researcher on developing serotonin. Serotonin is your natural calming serve system. Now, if you want joy, you want to maybe have a little oxytocin and things of that nature. But so you want to cultivate, you know, good healthy habits, and that's what Dan Butener has brought into the limelight about the longest li I think people are in the blue zones. And he goes all over the world to Okanawa, to Greece, I carry a Greece to people in Sicily and not Sicily, but have part in Italy. And he studies these people and Costa Rica and he studies. These people andli like the Okinawa's, they have such joy. They go as a community. It's not just the diet. It's not just the air, it's not just the water. But it's community. And you know that because you're involved in a great community. And the old ladies or the old men, they play their games after they've gardened at eighty eight years old, they've done a full day of tilling their garden and they bring their fresh vegetables and they sit in me and they play these games, I don't know what type of games, and they drink tea for hours. And then the Sicilia or the Italians they dance all night, and the Greeks they dance all night. They really do. They come together as a community after they've done their daili's work and they dance. So that's what Dan Butener has been saying. It's not just they do eat a lot of plant foods. It's not vegetarian, but it's a plant based diet and that's what I basically promote, and that decreases the inflammation of the rain. So if you're eating those fast foods and you don't feel good, well, that's why, because you've got inflammation of the brain and the gut and everything else. But so I've sort of followed in Dan Butner's footsteps, and then I have two other scientists I follow, and so that's in the book.
Speaker 1: Well, what I find so wonderful is that here's the planet of expansion now in your sign in Leo, which means everyone again gets to expand their creative self expression and open their heart and generosity and all those things I said earlier, but for you personally having Venus there and then the sun much later as because you're born like August twenty second, the last day of the sign that the universe now, because this is a twelve year cycle, so this is not something that happens every day. You have this opportunity for this beautiful tailwind for like being you know, being like the angels picking up, picking you up and just taking you to wherever. Because you recently were telling me that you spoke at was it a retirement home?
Speaker 2: Yes, there was a detatur It was fabulous and it was so what so what how did you just encapsulate for us?
Speaker 1: So these people are how old.
Speaker 2: Fifty five and up communities which I'm going to be going to all over wherever God is sending me. I'm going, you know, I am going. So a wonderful friend of ours. I won't mention her name right now, but she's a co creator and an artist and and just loves to She's part of the example of joy and creating and youthing and all of that.
Speaker 1: Now, who is this? You have to say this?
Speaker 2: Can I tell you? She may be watching Karen Karen Thompson.
Speaker 1: Oh, Karen Thompson, who is a leo and she's fabulous.
Speaker 2: She brought everybody. She brought everybody, and she helped me. And it was at the Christian Towers down and Indicator. And what I didn't know was that there were big speakers already you could hook up. I brought a little speaker because I wanted to play my music by Patty LaBelle. I got a new attitude and there are all these balloons already set up like a stage. And I was like, oh, I'm in this is perfect, you know. And I had only had an hour and so it was boom bing bamboom, but it flowed, it had energy. There was like twenty five people, you know. Ten of them bought books and afterwards and I signed them and I told them. You know, if you have any real questions, I'm not focusing on the disease. I'm not doing consultations. But if you have a specific question, I'd be glad about vitamins, you know, twenty five years and I can, I'd be glad to you know, reply so. But it was just a fantastic experience. And they said, they told her, what a great speaker. We want her back. You know, where is she now? You know, just it was just so much fun.
Speaker 1: You know what just occurred to me as you were talking. By shifting this your trajectory in other words, from disease to more vitality, longevity, joy, whatever, that that's unlocking your power, like in.
Speaker 2: Other words, the power. Yeah, unlocking the power. I can feel it. It wasn't godshot, Yes, one of those Oh my god, I've been focusing on disease.
Speaker 1: And you know, it's so interesting because I know a couple of other folks that are in that same uh venue of same thing like of I'm not going to focus on the what's wrong anymore or what it's not working. I'm going to focus on how we want it to work. So I love this for you. And as we talked about you know, you have significant Sagittarius energy in your chart, the moon Saturn and those of you that have Sagittarius energy. Saget is the teacher, the salesman, the traveler, the wanderer, the marketer, the eternal optimist, all of that. So again you are teaching that. You know, you've always been teaching. I've always learned from you for thirty years. But now it's like it's like the teacher and the joy is coming together.
Speaker 2: Well, so this is what I just wanted to say this to you. So I looked up something on one of our media things that I found this about joy, and I thought, well, this is perfect for you, and I'll send it to you, Lorla. But it says is that joy is a natural expression of a life that is in alignment. It isn't something we chase. It is something that immerges when our body, mind, heart and spirit are working together. And who knew it would take this long. I mean, we both known each other. We're both like experiencing this co creation regeneration, you know, just all the rise, you know, re energizing ourselves, reinventing ourselves, and it's just really exciting. And you've gone down some tough roads yourself. Yeah.
Speaker 1: Absolutely, Oh, absolutely, yeah. I mean it's like every day I'm learning something about joy. In other words, whether it's again, every time we smile, we're enjoy even if depending it doesn't matter what it is. If you're smiling, you're enjoy even if it's only thirty seconds. So I find this really so fascinating, and especially having known you so long and maybe and you know what I see in you that I see in me, I guess there's a mirror here because of what I was just gonna say to you is it's like all these things that you've done have come together now and have coalesced, and it's like you're you're trajector I mean, like I said, the fact that you've shifted your focus from the from the disease to the vitality is so I would use an exploct expletive, but I won't use it on the air. That that is so amazing, I mean in terms of because that's all it takes. It's a shift in perception. You just shifted your perception from that from disease to vitality longevity, and that's all of us. You know what it is to change our mind right, that's why our thoughts don't mean anything well.
Speaker 2: And sometimes I believe, like for me, I believe in grace. I believe grace isn't like when even positive things can't be forced, negative things shouldn't be forced. I believe it's been a long wait, you know, for this switch, like turning on this switch, but it has come and now it's like it's a trajectory like your joy movement that can take you wherever it needs to take you, and it's it's unlimited. And I've always going, you know, what is this abundance thing that's unlimited thing? I'm you know, you know they're materialistic. I'm thinking these people that are always talking about this. But now when you get it internally, you've got to have it the mind, body spirit alignment of your truth. And you done that and we're doing it together in law Aline. It's wonderful that we are, you know, it's really nice to see this and like people like Karen and I've got a friend named Troy. If he's listening, he's like redoing his whole world as a garden. And he looks younger than he did ten years ago because he's he's out there at you know at certain age and he's lifting trees and planting palms, and you know he's not living in Florida like he wanted to. So he created, you know, this beautiful oasis of the tropical paradise in his back hard and we can do it. You just have to tune into what really makes you happy, what resonates with you. Yeah, you know, I have eight principles that I go I base my lecture on. The first one is sleep and I'm gonna do with that on Instagram. Probably just take each principle, but that's what I'm going to be bringing into my speaking engagement. But the eighth principle is know your why? Why do you want to be here? Yeah, you know, you got to know. Is it your grandchildren? Is it because you want to all of a sudden become a fashion designer and you want to paint? You know? What is your why? You gotta have a why to wake up in the morning.
Speaker 1: Well, and you know, I feel that the why unlocks itself or presents itself, or it's easier to see the more we know who we are and understand our cast of characters, which is what I call all the planets. If I'm owning all the qualities, you know, of those those energies, the things that are less attractive, less conscious, and the beautiful things. That's where the joy is because then I'm accepting and loving myself in a place that I just naturally want to share that and extend that to others. And I mean, what feels better than shining your light being who you are. I'm saying this to you and to everyone, being who you are and being in service to others. I mean, that's really that's what it's all about.
Speaker 2: It's authentic. You know, we went through, We went through the whole gendre of positive things, you and I. We could do a show on that. Forty years of metaphysical, the New Age, New Thought movement, you know, of affirmations, manifestations, you know, whatever it is. But the work that we have done, and you know, I think this is something also in the truest sense of the Golden Years, I really believe this was God's intention for us to become older. They talked about wiser. Why can't we be older and more joyful and more limber, limber and healthier than we ever were before? And we can show that that's my intention for myself. I'm wanting to share that. You know, I'm getting healthier every day. And the reason, you, guys, why I post my vegetables. You kept saying to me, are you cooking? When you cook for me? I'm like, no, I'm not a chef, but I'll come over for you any day. Is because when I'm cleaner, when I'm lighter, when I'm using the philosophies that I'm embracing and i'm anfirming them and living them. When I pick up a purple cabbage and I get excited, how beautiful this thing is. I'm not on any medication. I just like it vibrates, you.
Speaker 1: Know, because you know how good that is for you. Correct it's a lie.
Speaker 2: It's a lie, you know. So I've always been a proponent of the live food movement for healing. Not everybody can do it one hundred percent, but embrace it. Embrace the polyphenols, antioxidants and as much life because that is where the life force is. So that's where you're going to get electrical energy.
Speaker 1: What I think is so beautiful is I think you're going to have so many opportunities are going to come to you to be in service to addressing the Virgo part of you that bring you so much joy, like, oh my god, I can hear you saying, oh my God, I get to go there. I get to go there and speak and talk and share, you know. Because again, Jupiter's and Leo now until next summer, then from the summer of twenty seven to the summer of twenty twenty eight in Virgo, which means your communication is going to expand, and then Jupiter from twenty nine to twenty nine will be in Libra. So which is your Jupiter? So you know this whole, And I find myself wanting to say, I wonder why they why do they call it the Golden Years? Where does that come from? By the way, I mean, I love the way it sounds, But what is it? I mean, what is it?
Speaker 2: Really? I need to look it up. It sounds Greek. I don't know, like the Golden Years like somebody like. But I'm guessing. But that's that's a good question. See, we're going to go deeper.
Speaker 1: You know what's interesting I posted if anybody knows, yeah, the Golden Years. But what's interesting is Jupiter's in Leo. Leo is the gold you know, it represents gold among other things. So it's kind of interesting that we're talking about, you know, the Golden Years, and of course a lot of.
Speaker 2: It is this is golden wine. I mean that's what I'm and then gold right. Yeah.
Speaker 1: So I love the fact that you allowed yourself to do the what was it, gold sneakers and the Patty LaBelle song of New Attitude because again, the more joy any of us vibrates in we are affecting the whole planet. It's not just about the self, it's about everyone that is so so you doing that, doing that, you know, because you were guided from your heart. It wasn't like some ploy, oh yeah you should put on some sneakers and play a song. I mean it's great guidance. But it came from that part of you. It came from that, didn't it. I mean, like something that that would be fun.
Speaker 2: You know. I don't know why I'm talking about it here, but I guess because I watched the show on Netflix, The Big Sea, and they had this joy guru type person counselor, and I'm like, they didn't call it the guru.
Speaker 4: So you've got that, Lorelai, You've got it was a joy, you know, lady and so this, this word cancer has come up for me since eleven years.
Speaker 2: And once I went through the valley of death in my mind and in my spirit with a person who helped me, and I was free of fear. I went in because I took I integrative. I did integrative medicine. I did everything natural and raw and juicing and enzymes, and I also did for some traditional therapies. And when I went in for those traditional therapies, they thought I was nuts, but I had paddle level and I'm like, going in like this, I got, I got a new attitude, you know. And then I did Tina turn nut bursting, and I'm like, and I just because I did a lot of radiation and I was like, okay, star Trek, beat me up, baby, you know. And they just like, where did she come from? Because it had the fear had gone, you know. And then I had the top five percent of no side effects none. He was like, I've never seen this, only maybe in less than five percent. And I was at one point I thought I was gonna go that way and help others that were, you know, doing treatments and stuff. But this is so much more fun. I love this. God God knew more than I knew myself about what I needed to do well.
Speaker 1: And again, just the trajectory of putting the joy of yourself first and then the being in service, you know, because you're you're always. I mean, I've known you thirty years. You're in everything you've ever done. You've always been incredibly in service always, So I just I can see because Virgo is about devotion and dedication. So again, that's that's that part. It's the priestess, it's the priestess energy r.
Speaker 2: I care about people the same way as I cared before. I'm just allowing myself to care about me right now and to say it's okay after all these different years, to have a little fun, you know, to live my truth and look at I've always been a miracle minded person and you know, I'm hoping for the miracles. I really am. And you've got you know, the Wizard of Oz and you know, truthfully, if you feel it and live it and be it, why not right more line?
Speaker 3: Absolutely absolutely, it's synergy and as you know, we can get into you know, synchronicity where licensed plates are saying, hey, go for it, and you know everything else because the universe will support us once we really have made a decision to know who we are and where we're going, you know.
Speaker 1: And I can't wait to watch where you're going. We're right at the end of our time together. We're going to have to do this later on as you progress on your journey to you thing and helping others with that. I am so grateful to you, Sonya, for all the years that we've known each other, and for all the beautiful gifts that you've given me and so many people in your life, and for all of you out there. I promise you, if it's gonna sound weird, but if if anything you're getting involved with or anything, if you ask yourself, will this bring me joy? If you say no, don't do it, I'm telling you don't do it because it will. But if you can say yeah, this would bring me joy, and it might be something totally that you'd never even thought about before, that's those are the breadcrumbs to follow. And this is Leo season and Jupiter's and Leo and my beautiful Leo friend. Thank you, thank you, thank you, and for all of you out there, I wish you blue skies, green lights and lucky stars. Thank you for listening. To joy Rules with me lorel I Robbins, your joy guru. If this episode sparks something in you, don't keep joy to yourself, share and spread the light. Tune in the second and fourth Friday of the month at noon Pacific three pm Eastern right here on Transformation Talk, where together we reclaim joy as the foundation for transformation. To dive deeper, visit me at joy rules dot com and remember joy isn't optional, It's essential, and visit joy rules dot com for lots more joy. Until next time, keep choosing joy and join the joy revolution. And until we connect. I wish you blue skies, green lights, and lucky stars.