Speaker 1: Welcome to Dodger Talk. David Vase with you from Kemelback Ranch in Glendale, Arizona. The Dodgers are just two days away from leaving for Tokyo, Japan. We'll get into that more later in the show, but just a recap of what has taken place and what is going to take place here tonight on Dodger Talk. We're with you until eight o'clock right here on a five to seventy LA Sports and we have a great show for you tonight. We will be joined by future Hall of Famer Clayton Kershaw, who spoke to me exclusively earlier today about all things Dodgers. All things Kershaw, you will hear from the future Hall of Famer, the three times Cy Young Award winner and MVP winner coming up later in the show. And also we are going to speak to a man that has covered the Dodgers for over a decade, and that is Bill Plunkett from the Orange County Register. He has a brand new show, Hey Otani book titled La Story. It is the Otani Story from his first season with the Dodgers on their way to the World Series Championship. Bill Plunkett will also be in Tokyo coming up starting tomorrow. He's actually going to do this phone interview and then bored a plane for Tokyo tomorrow morning. So you'll hear from Bill Plunkett later in the show, and I also will the last half of the show is going to be very Otani centric because later in the show, I am going to share with you what Barry Bonds had to say on the Matt Barnes Steven Jackson podcast All the Smoke when it comes to show, Hey Otani, and what Bonds thinks about Otani being a player that could play in his generation, and also what Bonds thinks about Otani pitching, So we'll get to all that as well. It was actually a pretty good interview. Barry Bonds actually came across like I'm not sure how many people really care about what Barry Bonds has to say as it pertains to Dodgers, but you can't you can't deny how great of a player he was, and he was certainly one of the best players not only of his generation but of all time. And we all know he did get some help, but he was still a really great player, so you can't take that away from him. Earlier today, the Dodgers beat the Diamondbacks six to two at Camel Back Ranch. Yamamoto won his first Cactus League game of the spring. But I guess that falls into the category where wins and losses don't really tell the story of a pitcher, because I have seen a noticeable difference in a good way from Yoshi Yamamoto this camp. Today, he went five innings, allowed just one earned run. He had seven strikeouts and a walk. The last out of the game that he recorded was in the fifth inning and he took a He covered first base and David body underhanded toss was extremely high and not very accurate, and Yamamoto was hustling to the bag and you were holding your breath because he had to leap up to catch the ball, and he almost landed on the first base bag. If he does that, there's a very good chance he tears up his knee. Luckily, he avoided doing that and was able to get the out. But Yamamoto has been outstanding. He is going to start game one of the regular season out there in the Tokyo Series against Shota Imanaga and the Chicago Cubs. I mentioned this on Petro Some Money Show, and I'll say it right here. Again, nothing changed from what I saw today. In fact, I feel more convicted about this. And I'm not really a sports betting person. I'll dabble if I'm there with friends or if I'm in Vegas. But from what I've been told, the odds are very good in your favor if you were to put twenty bucks down on Yoshi Yamamoto winning the National League Say Young Award. I know to a certain extent it's subjective, but I feel very confident in saying this. I believe Yamamoto is going to win the Cy Young Award this year in Major League Baseball if he stays healthy, and that's a big if after him missing three months with the right shoulder issue, but he seems very strong. His training, from what I understand during the offseason, was a better tailor made for pitching in Major League Baseball. So I'm going to be optimistic and say he's not going to miss any significant time like he did last year. But he is my pick to win the National League Say Young Award this year. And I'm not saying bet the house, but hey, if he got twenty bucks, why not. From what I understand, the odds are twenty to one for Yamamoto to win the Cy Young Award. And look, that's that's saying something considering who's on this starting pitching staff, including a two time cy Young Award winner and Blake Snell, who wants to win a third. You're talking about Otani, who's going to pitch probably at some point in time this season. You got Kershaw who's won three Cy Young's. You got Glass now who's got good stuff. But I'm a firm believer that Yamamoto, to me, is the leading candidate out of these group of pitchers as it stands today to win the National League Say Young Award. And speaking of Blake Snell, he pitched yesterday and is going to pitch again on Sunday, which means he is pitching one of the exhibition games in Tokyo, which also lines him up to start the home opener against the Tigers, and that would match him up against Trek Skoubel, who also pitched yesterday and already has been named the opening day starter for aj hinches Detroit Tigers. So we probably, barring any sort of injuries, are going to have a tremendous pitching matchup when the Dodgers were turned back from Tokyo between Blakesnell and Trek skuball two Cy Young Award winners in the Raigning American League, say Young Award winner in Schooble, So that should be an outstanding home stand. It should be a great first two games. The home opener is always special, and then the second game at Dodgers Stadium is when they're going to have the pregame ring ceremony. And I do hope they bring back guys that right now do not have a team. Daniel Hudson retired, Joe Kelly does not have a team. I wouldn't be surprised if he's going to retire or still doesn't have a team by that point in time. And bring back Brent Honeywell and that Perm that eastbounded down, Perm, Kenny Powers Perm. I would love to see those guys, and I would love to see Kevin Kiermyer come back and be part of those pregame ceremonies. So I hope that happens. But first things first, the Dodgers have two games in Tokyo, and like I mentioned, Snell Scooble, it's on track to happen. And here's what Blake Sneil had to say against a subpar performance yesterday, camel back ranch and a spring training that is kind of slow playing him to that point in time. On that afternoon at Dodgers Stadium for the home opener, it.
Speaker 2: Was like in and out. Curveball was guiding some. I was thing some over the plate. Then when I'd get on it, I couldn't strike it. So I just battle and feel change up was guiding that I wasn't throwing it. I had one good change up today. And that's where you'll see like Arshall is double and just you know deep, you know the extra basse hats that they have. Avis. Uh, he's just ambushing good pitch, good pitch. Uh, look a heater swinging next it by I face some same things swinging. So those are good tales to how I've gone in the season. But and then urious are you're rias He's swinging a good right now, good curveball kind of his first bitch strike for him to see that, yeah, take your cab, good job. But I faced him a good amount. He doesn't do that, so I got to learn the new swing that he has, so see what I can do to get better there.
Speaker 1: But how do you feel at this stage of preparation for whenever you make your first start feel good?
Speaker 2: Yeah, ninety seven, that's yeah, I'm happy with that. And then towards the end there, I was just trying to get a strike. I mean I kind of lost feel. I got to get in the zone and that fourth and and but overall felt good, kind of limiting my rocking and getting better and better. But another another good week ahead. I've hit Sunday next, so really looking forward to that. And then yeah, I mean there's just so many like tells that I'll have. It could be my glove. I don't like where it's at, or I don't like how my hand's coming out. It's coming out too quick on curveball, and I'll need it slower longer. I mean, there's just so many things. And you know, everyone wants, you know, to come into Spring, and I expect, like, oh, Blake's Sally and Blake He's gonna be light, Like that's not realistic. I'm learning, I'm growing, I'm getting better, and you know, it takes all of Spring to really you know, start figuring it out. Okay, I need to do this or you know, I need to do this a little different than I did last Like you're figuring out like who you are this year. It's such a big thing. So I was pretty happy with it. Fastball comman, can you get better? All Steed will start finishing out in front with it. I'll be a lot more happier and I'll have a lot more swing and mess with that. So we're on the way on a good track. I feel good, comfortable, feel strong, healthy, happy with them on that.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 1: The one thing about Blake's now that I appreciate, there's no panic. He understands himself at this stage of his career. He's thirty one years old. He understands what it takes to as he was saying, calibrate himself for the regular season. Other younger pitchers, if they had this going on where he got hit around by a No Name A's team and they scored some runs, they would be panicking and trying to do an overhaul on a lot of things. But that's not Snell. He's very in tune with his body. He's really smart when it comes to baseball and understanding hitter swings and what he needs to do to get ready, and he understands it's a long season. So I'm not concerned at all by any of the results by Blake Snell. And look, you have to factor into the equation of this spring of Snell really not having a lot of time to have a regular schedule. The Dodgers have only allowed him to pitch twice in the Cactus League. By now he should probably under normal circumstances, have three starts under his belt. The first one was one inning, and then he went to the backfields this past Monday to pitch, and then he pitched yesterday. So I mean, I'm not concerned at all about Blake Snell. He knows how to get ready for the season and he will be ready to go. Other big news for the Dodgers today, manager Dave Roberts reportedly has agreed to a four year extension with the Dodgers at thirty two point four million dollars. Our friend John Hayman, who was breaking that news while sitting on the couch in the Camelback Ranch lobby, reported that and it is a record record setting annual average salary of eight plus million dollars for Dave Roberts. That is more than Craig Council got last year from the Cubs four years, thirty two point four million dollars for Dave Roberts, and it is not official yet, but after today's game, Dave Roberts had a bigger smile than usual.
Speaker 4: I can't talk so much about it, but I do think that there's finally some closure, and I'm excited. You know. Obviously this is the place I want to be, so I'm sure i'll go into it more. But hopefully there's an announcement coming soon. I'm waiting, but this is a place I've always wanted to be, so I just love what we're doing. I think it's been a good spring training. I think our guys are ready to break camp and get to Tokyo, and our guys are in a good spot. So there's obviously things that are off the field that are important. Try to make sure that my focus days on the players, the game, the Dodgers organization, and I think I've done a good job. But the other part of that stuff just kind of is part of the job, and I'm looking forward to some closure for sure.
Speaker 1: It's amazing how the narrative has changed around Dave Roberts. Right a year ago, at this time, everybody was saying well, if he doesn't win, he's going to be fired. The Dodgers are not going to keep him. He better win the World Series to last October, him being one of the better October managers that we have seen in any one playoff to now getting a four year, thirty two point four million dollar extension. According to John Hayman, I mean, I never The reason why I don't feel like this is a big story or big news is because I never believed after winning the World Series Dave Roberts was going anywhere. But it does make a difference to have more than one year on your contract. If he went into the season with just a one year contract, that could have been treacherous for him and the team. You don't want to do anything that would spoil what the Dodgers have got going right now, what they look to try to do this season, and that's become the first repeat champions in baseball since twenty twenty five. So Dave Roberts is going to be here for at least four more years according to this contract, and I'm happy for Dave's a lot that goes into managing the Dodgers more than just being ready at seven ten to manage nine innings and talk to the media after the game. He does have to manage one of the largest media corps now with the Japanese media, following the Big Three of Otani, Yamamoto, and Sazaki. He does have to manage his relationships with Andrew Freeman and Brandon Gomes, and has to manage his relationships with ownership, and he is so welcoming to so many people. He's a great ambassador for the organization, and he really does a lot more than just manage twenty six guys for nine innings. So just on the surface, forget about the results, because the resume speaks for itself. He's won. He's managed five one hundred win seasons, he has eight NLS championships, He's been to the postseason nine times as the Dodger manager. He has four National League pennants, two World Series Championships, and he won the National League Manager of the Year in his first season with the Dodgers. So the resume stacks up, and everything that goes into this job certainly stacks up as well. When we continue from Camelback Ranch on Dodger Talk, we will hear from future Hall of Famer and three times Cy Young Award winner and National League MVP, the one and only Clayton Kershaw. All is right in the world with number twenty two back in spring training in Dodger Blue. And don't forget coming up at the bottom of the hour, we'll get into bonds and what he had to say about show. Hey Otani and Bill Plunkett will join us as well. A lot to get to between now and eight o'clock. Right here on five to seventy, LA Sports join right now to a man that makes the baseball world here in Glendale, Arizona feel right. If he wasn't here, nothing would feel the same way. And it's not a coincidence that his old pitching coach, Rick Honey h scheduled his trip to camel Back Ranch at the same time that Clayton Kershaw would come back here. So we're here to see if that truck still works. Because you only got so many summers, Clayton. Thanks a lot for the time.
Speaker 5: There was so much going on in that intro. I don't even know how to start, but good to see it, Dave, Great.
Speaker 1: To see you too. Tip of the cap to your guy Brad Paisley.
Speaker 5: Yeah, that was really good. So many summers. I'm in that music video.
Speaker 1: There's a music video.
Speaker 3: You didn't seen it? Okay, good, we'll check it out, all.
Speaker 1: Right, thank you. MTV is not as popular as it used to be, so true. How about Rick honeycut It wasn't a coincidence to see him really taking interest in your one and only bullpen session this spring.
Speaker 5: Yeah, Honey's great. It's always fun to have him here. And you got to hold on to the old guard, you know. It's nice to keep seeing people like I mean, you're old now, you know. So Honey's been here a while and we got awesome still. So there's a few of us still around. But no, it's been great. Honey's awesome.
Speaker 1: I've never asked you this before, but during the seasons, if you feel like you're a little off or you want to bounce something off of somebody, do you ever reach out to him during a season.
Speaker 5: We have a great group, you know, Mark. I have a great relationship with Mark too. He's been awesome. And Connor also as far as like pitch grips and different stuff. We have a really good group. But yeah, if Honey's ever in town or he sees something, and we always we always talk pitching.
Speaker 3: I mean, that's what we both know.
Speaker 5: And so you know, there's too many cooks in the kitchen sometimes, but not not with those guys.
Speaker 3: There's no egos. They just want to help if they can, and we really do. We have a great group.
Speaker 1: Clayton, you're back here in camel Back Ranch. We did see the bullpen session, So I guess is that a good sign that your knee and your foot are healing the right way?
Speaker 3: I think so.
Speaker 6: Yeah.
Speaker 5: I mean it's definitely progressing. Arms feeling good. So I wouldn't say I'm like a hundred percent yet, but I think I'm getting close and it keeps and better every day. So keep throwing bullpens this month and start facing some hitters here soon, and you know, doing the rehab starts all that. We're still you know, it's still a process obviously, but I feel I feel good about where I'm at and I feel like I'm on a good track to be ready soon.
Speaker 1: What we saw a couple of days ago, are you holding anything back in that type of setting or when you're landing on that front foot it's full force?
Speaker 5: Yeah, I mean I don't have any pain, it's just uh, you know, I think obviously there's some mental hurdles to come come through anytime with surgery. I think I haven't done it with the shoulder, and now with these two, there's just some mental hurdles like, hey, is it gonna hurt? And so getting over that and not thinking about that as hard. But that's what bullpens are for, you know, And so there's no pain. It's just I think there's some you know, a little bit out of sync, a little bit maybe not using all of my lower half like I can and just figuring out how to do that again. But it's all coming together and I think within the next you know, a couple of months to get there.
Speaker 1: So you're traveling with the team to Tooke you are you planning on doing something there?
Speaker 3: Yeah, I'm gonna do stuff, Dave.
Speaker 1: I want to know what to say. I want to know the extent of how much you're gonna do at the Tokyo Dome.
Speaker 3: Oh you mean baseball wise, Yes, I thought you meant tourist wise.
Speaker 1: I know you're gonna do stuff that that way.
Speaker 6: Yeah.
Speaker 5: I mean I'm kind of on like a Tuesday Friday bullpen plan right now, So I don't know how the days work over there. I'm assuming it's the same, but uh yeah, I'll go Tuesday Friday for a while and then start getting into like a five or six or seven or eight day rotation at some point and start facing some hitters.
Speaker 1: Are you planning on doing some ambassador's ship for the Dodgers in Tokyo? What are you? Uh, you're gonna be out there with your family, Charlie, Charlie and Cali are gonna be there with you. So what's the Kershaw family plans in Tokyo?
Speaker 5: Yeah, we got the whole crew coming. I don't know, obviously, we gotta we want to try the food. Everybody says the food's awesome. We want to ride the bullet train. We wanna maybe make a trip to Kyoto. We heard Kyoto is really cool. So I don't know, I know Ellen's got it all dialed in itenerary wise. So it's gonna be super fun once again, lifetime experience, once in a lifetime to go over there with Shohe and the Dodgers and kind of the global brand that they've become, especially with you know, kind of our three Japanese superstars that we have. So it's uh, it's gonna be wild.
Speaker 1: Speaking of Otani and those guys, what have you seen from Otani during the course of last year, just from start to where you're at right now, where he's at as a teammate with everybody.
Speaker 3: I think show is awesome, I really do, you know.
Speaker 5: I think I think having him around and he's just been you know, you hear stories and until you actually meet the guy for sure, you just don't know, right, And so last year, I know, it was a lot whirlwind getting to know everybody, and I felt like he really came together with all of us, and this year's kind of been more of an extension of the same. And man, seeing what he has to do now, like get ready to pitch and get ready to hit, it is Uh, it's a lot. It's a lot like you finish your throwing and then you go straight into the cage, like I can't imagine trying to be elite, elite at both and so but that's why you show, hey, you know, and so we're excited to see that. Obviously, it's going to be really cool to watch. And I mean the year he had last year is pretty tough to beat. But when you throw pitching on top of it. It's gonna be kind of amazing.
Speaker 1: When you see Sazaki in spring training, does it remind you of how Yamamoto was adjusting to life in Major League Baseball and a new environment. Do we underappreciate how much that is part of this learning curve?
Speaker 5: Yeah, I mean it's it's so much, you know, Like I can't imagine going to Japan and learning a new culture, learn like whole new living situation, speaking not speaking the language, and then learning out how to pitch.
Speaker 6: You know.
Speaker 5: So Rookie's obviously super talented. His split is like one of the best pitches in the game. Yeah, Like when it's I don't think it's really hard to catch, let alone hit. It's just got so much movement, and so there's some stuff to work on.
Speaker 6: You know.
Speaker 5: Obviously he's only twenty three. He's not as polished as Yama. You know, Yama was twenty five, a free agent, been doing it for a while, and even Yama this spring looks just way more comfortable than he did last year.
Speaker 6: You know.
Speaker 5: So there's gonna be some learning curves, I'm sure with Roki, but the talent's undeniable and he's gonna get a lot of people out for sure.
Speaker 1: We know you're a creature of habits. Starting pitchers are creatures of habits. So what is the adjustment if all six of you are in the rotation at one point in time during the season. Is that an adjustment or do you feel like Andrew and Dave have kind of started to morph the pitching staff into five days of rest the last few years?
Speaker 5: Yeah, I do think it's I do think like a six day rotation has become a little bit more normal for us, you know, I feel like the last couple of years especially, you know, the trick is like if there is a time where you have to throw on that regular rest, you know, you don't want it to feel like short. So it's kind of like having routines locked in for both and kind of going for there. But you know, I think the extra day everybody's gotten used to now, and I mean, hey, when we have Shoe and Roki and Yama all going, it's going to be that way.
Speaker 3: That's the way it was in Japan, and that's the way it's.
Speaker 5: Going to be here, and we're all going to have to figure out how to adjust to that.
Speaker 3: But I think we all kind of did it last year, So we'll be good.
Speaker 1: Clayton Kershaw's our guest. Before I let you go, I love to rewind to last year the World Series. Walker Buehler is not with the Dodgers this year for the first time in his professional career. I've never asked you this during the excitement of the parade and all that. What were you thinking when you saw him go out to the bullpen and when you saw him come into the game in the ninth inning, because he obviously said he learned by watching you he wanted to be that for the team because you were not available, like all of that, How did you feel.
Speaker 5: Yeah, you can say whatever you want about Walker, but you can't.
Speaker 3: You can't.
Speaker 5: You can't deny the way he takes the ball, you know, and so we're gonna miss him here. He just he he was special in that regard. There was a lot of times when he just kept wanting to take the ball. You know, he's not afraid, and that was a kind of a great moment for him and super special and we needed every pitch that he had and us, you know, we were pretty much then we were pretty much out at that point. So for him to come in close a game like that. It was a really cool way to end his Dodger tenure. And I'm happy for him. I know Boston is going to be a good setting for him and he can handle that media crowd and be good and so you know, I hope, I hope you pitch as well, just not against us.
Speaker 6: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Has he reached out to you since he signed with Boston?
Speaker 5: He uh, yeah, we faced some a few times. He's feeling good. He's in spring training and the ball's coming out good. You know, he's uh, he's back up to ninety five or so, and I think he's excited, you know, another year removed from surgery. So I think I think he'll be good.
Speaker 1: Did you uh did you appreciate him referencing you doing what he did several times?
Speaker 3: I Walker's great.
Speaker 5: You know, I think there's he was going to do that regardless stuff, you know, like he just uh, I mean for better for whereas Walker's he go is gonna let him go out there and he knows he's good.
Speaker 3: And that's just it was really cool to see.
Speaker 1: How about how he he did not hide the fact that his pose after the last out of the World Series was not spontaneous. He said he'd been thinking about that pose for a while.
Speaker 3: Yeah, he's like I said, he's special. He's special.
Speaker 1: Thanks a lot for the time.
Speaker 3: All right, thanks Dave.
Speaker 1: Good to see you, man, Great to see you too. Were you really excited to see me?
Speaker 5: I was like in the middle, Yeah, yeah, yeah, but yeah, it kind of you grow on you as the season goes, you know.
Speaker 3: So we need an off season though, to reset.
Speaker 1: Well, maybe you and I, you and I can tag along in Tokyo. Maybe I'll be the fifth cruise Shaw.
Speaker 3: You want to hang out with us?
Speaker 1: Yeah, you know, let's see where. Let's see where the bullet train takes us.
Speaker 3: One step at a time.
Speaker 1: Thanks a lot for the time. Hey, that truck still works there, he goes Clayton Kershaw. Yes, he doesn't like my country puns, but he has to put up with them for one more year. When we continue on Dodger Talk from Camelback Ranch in Glendale, Arizona, you will hear from Bill Plunkett, who's got a new show, Hail Tawny Book. Bill does it for the Orange County Register. He's on the beat every day, and he'll be in Tokyo with the Dodgers as well. David vasse with you until eight o'clock right here on AM five to seventy LA Sports. On Wednesday morning, they got one more Cactus League game, and that'll be heard right here tomorrow afternoon on AM five to seventy LA Sports. They close it out against the Cleveland Guardians and then it's off to Japan for two exhibition games and also two regular season games. The first two regular season games of the baseball season. Dodgers Cubs, Yama mo Imanaga Otani all ready to go for Game one of the season in Tokyo, Japan, and that will also be heard right here on A five seventy LA Sports. We will carry it live at three am in the morning, and then you will hear it on replay later that day in case you're not up that early in the morning. In case you're not working that early in the morning, we got you covered like we did last year when the Dodgers opened up in Seoul, Korea. March eighteenth and March nineteenth, a week from tomorrow is the first game of the regular season against the Cubs at the Tokyo Dome in Japan, and a man that will be there covering the Dodgers and has been there every day of spring training and has been there for the better part of the last thirteen years. Covering the Dodgers for the Orange County Register is Bill Plunkett, who joins us right now on Dodger Taki's premiere appearance on Dodger Talking. There's a good reason why. Bill, thanks a lot for coming on.
Speaker 6: Hey, David, thanks for having me.
Speaker 1: So you have not taken off for Tokyo, Japan, but I think you're leaving tomorrow.
Speaker 6: Yeah, tomorrow afternoon.
Speaker 1: I'll be.
Speaker 6: Hidden over and get there a day before the team and you know, maybe do a little thirsty stuff and see what Tokyo has to offer.
Speaker 1: Well, when you're a best selling author, you have to get there a day earlier as well. Bill has a brand new book out on Show Hayo Tani's first Season with the Dodgers, LA Story Show Hao Tani, The La Dodgers and a season for the Ages. And it certainly was tell us, you know, there is a version of this book in Japanese. It's been sold there right now, And Bill, how much demand is there for the book and how much demand is there for you in Japan?
Speaker 6: I think there will be a parade I'm expecting a marching band to meet me at the airport, marched me right to a bookstore to do some signings. The publishers over there seem to be very happy with how it's going.
Speaker 3: I will be doing.
Speaker 6: Some appearances while we're in Tokyo to promote the book. It came out earlier in Japan. It's been out in bookstores there since late December, and some of our friends in the Japanese media who were home for the off season sent me photos of the book in bookstores and on shelves, And the thing that was most shocking to me was the number of Otani books and the Oani content there is. They can't get enough in Japan of their national euro The coverage is constant and they follow every single move he makes. I hope they're enjoying the book, because, yeah, last year was something else.
Speaker 1: It really was. It was once in a lifetime, first season with the team, once in a lifetime talent in Otani. And do you feel like you saw, over the course of writing this book as you were doing it experiencing it a change in Otani's personality.
Speaker 6: Absolutely everybody who knew him from his Angels days has said that he changed. Honestly, once Epei left, Epay was kind of a wall between him and everyone else and everything had to pass through Epei Mitsuhara his translator. And when that, you know, gambling scandal broke and Epe went away. Shohe became his own man a little bit last year, and I think he had He became more involved with his teammates. I think he became a happier person. Maybe you know he got married last spring too. That'll that'll change her outlook, right, David?
Speaker 1: Yeah, Yeah, sometimes sometimes did not Oh that did not sound good.
Speaker 6: You were You're going to pay for that if she actually listens to this. But he he did become more more involved with the team, uh, the Angels. You know, people over with the Angels were surprised when they saw him show up at the chicken wing eating contest with the Dodgers. You know, he didn't do that kind of stuff. He showed a lot more emotion on the field than he ever did with the Angels. I think back to the home run in Game one of the NLDS when he just two handed fired the bad away.
Speaker 3: Uh.
Speaker 6: You never saw that kind of emotion and passion with the Angels. Maybe you know, not to take a shot at him, but maybe because they have never played any meaningful games when he was there for six years. So yeah, last year was it was definitely an evolutionary one for show Hey. A lot of things changed in his life.
Speaker 1: Bill Plunkett, the Dodgers beat writer for the Orange County Register, is joining us. He has written a new book, chronicling Show Heyotani's first season with the Dodgers. It's La Story Show Heotani, the La Dodgers and a season for the Ages. What did you learn about Otani writing this book that maybe on the daily beat you really didn't have an appreciation for.
Speaker 6: Well, one of the things that I've found interesting is the free agency and looking back on that whole process and talking to people involved in it at you know, Andrew Friedman and Stan cast and Brandon Gomes as Bilelo did an interview with USA Today where he talked about it, and it was just there were so many twists and turns in that free agency. You know, he was going to Toronto, he was on a plane, and then he wasn't. And then you know that deferrals were a shock to everyone. That whole process was as unique as you can possibly make it. It was one of the most unique moves in professional sports. And then during the season the thing that really jumped out at me, not having been able to watch him on a daily basis before, but how hard he hits the ball so consistently. It's like he and Aaron Judge are in a category all by themselves. It was, you know, you can just think back to so many moments. The first hit he had in Korea I think was about one hundred and ten miles an hour off the bat. There was a home run that really stood out to me in Washington where he hit it to the third level of the stadium and I swear I thought it was going to leave a hole and just keep going. So that really jumped out at me too.
Speaker 1: Hey, Bill, you've covered a lot of games, whether it's with the Dodgers, the Angels. You've seen Barry Bonds play. There's always that debate who's the greatest, but can in your time covering baseball, the game where Otani finally reached fifty to fifty and had that historic day in Miami three home runs, ten RBIs just shy of the cycle. Do you feel like that was the best game you ever covered by a player regular.
Speaker 6: Season single offensive performance. Yes, I can't imagine anybody topping that. I mean, he came very close to the cycle if you remember, yeah, his double, he was thrown out at third. He have had the cycle with three home runs with ten RBIs while getting to the fifty to fifty club. I don't see how you could top that. That was It might have been the single most impressive offensive performance by any individual in baseball history.
Speaker 1: Bill Plunkett is joining us. Not only has he written a book about show Aotani, but he covers the Dodgers on a daily basis. And earlier today we got breaking news that the Dodgers and Dave Roberts have agreed on a three year extension, so he's around for four more years. How significant is this to get Dave Roberts an extension rather than just him being on a one year contract going into the season build. Does it really make a difference.
Speaker 6: Yeah, I think it does. I think players are aware of the job security or lack thereof of a manager, and I think it affects, you know, the clubhouse and how that relationship goes. But I'll say this, I don't think anyone in their right mind thought that Dave was going to go into the season with just a one year deal. I think this was on the to do list all off season, and I expected them to get it done before they had to Tokyo. Just you know, the last time he got an extension, it was late March that time as well.
Speaker 3: It's just.
Speaker 6: It's kind of on the bottom of the list of things to do. But the thing that strikes me is how dramatically the perception of Dave has changed with last fall. You know, they go into that first round, they get down two to one to the Padres. They're staring at the possibility of a third straight first round exit, and we all know that the heat underneath Dave's seat would have been turned up immeasurably if they lost that game four or five in San Diego. They end up winning it. They get on a roll. Every pitching decision they've made last fall seem to be the right one or played out to be the right one. And now people are talking about him in a whole different light.
Speaker 1: They certainly are, and he's around for four more years, or at least has a contract for four more years. Bill Plunkett is joining US from the Orange County Register. He is just a day away from taking off for Tokyo Japan to cover the Dodgers in the Tokyo Series. Do you believe show Heyotani pitches for the Dodgers this year? Barry Bonds again doubled down, said that he believes that Otani would be better served just to hit this season and maybe the rest of his career.
Speaker 6: I would put the the here's your hot take for the day, David. I think the Dodgers would be fine with him not pitching again. I think they would be happy to take the DH guy that they saw last year and not risk putting him on the mouth. I think you can't put anything out of reach for Otani. He's shown that throughout his career. But the idea of sacrificing some of the offense, the dynamic leadoff hitter that they got last year in order to get a starting pitcher, I don't think they they would. I don't think they need to make that move. It's remarkable that he can do both. I want to see him do both, I really do. But I think the Dodgers would be fine with just getting a one way Otani. Now, when does he pitch. Does he pitch? I think he pitches this year. Absolutely. I think he wants to, so I think it's going to happen. But I don't think there's any rush. I don't think the Dodgers are in any hurry to put him back on the mound.
Speaker 1: All right, Bill, thanks a lot for the time. We'll see you in Japan, and good luck with the book signings out there. Bill Plunkett's book can be ordered everywhere you get your books, including Amazon, Barnes, and Noble. All of it. La Story Show Aotani his first season with the Dodgers. It was a season for the Ages, an appropriate title for this book. We'll see you out there in Tokyo. Bill, thanks a lot for the time.
Speaker 6: Thank you, David mata Ney. I think is a little proper Japanese phrase.
Speaker 1: All right, you work on that on the flight to Tokyo.
Speaker 3: You got it, Thanks David.
Speaker 1: There he goes Bill Plunkett from the Orange County Register. He will be in Japan with the Dodgers, and you certainly can follow him on his Twitter account, and also you could buy the book online right now. La Story Showe Aotani, the Los Angeles Dodgers and a season for the Ages. One of the few times Bill Plunkett has been nice to me, and it was right here because I was pimping his new book. But Bill does a good job for the Orange County Register and beyond, and appreciate him coming on the show. And yeah, he will be a star out there because, like we mentioned, the book is in Japanese and it is for sale. I've seen the photos and the Japanese media has relayed all of that to Bill here at Camelback Ranch, and I will be taken off with the Dodgers on Wednesday morning. I will be on the Dodgers charter to Tokyo, Japan. We are expected to land at about three o'clock in the afternoon on Thursday in Tokyo. And in case you're wondering what the schedule is going to be, again here on five seventy LAS Sports, your home for the world champion Dodgers. We are not going to carry the two exhibition games that are going to be played on Saturday and Sunday in Tokio, but you can watch those on Sports and at LA. Our first official broadcast is going to be on Tuesday, March eighteenth, the opener against the Cubs, and you will hear that live at three AM with Rick Monday and Tim Neverett and we will replay that game at noon that day as well in case you did not wake up in time. And of course, you know Rogan and Rodney need their rest. I mean, that's why we're doing it on noon. Oh that's right, They're going to be in Japan with me. And I heard Rodney's already there, so he's got the advanced scanner report. One of his kids lives out there full time. So looking forward to see Rodney out there in Tokyo, Japan. All right, we're gonna stick on the Otani topic here because Bill Plunkett did a great job with this Otani book. And last week Barry Bonds was on the All the Smoke podcasts with Matt Barnes and Steve even Jackson and they asked him about Otani and Bonds doubled down on the opinion that he has shared recently that he believes Showhy should no longer pitch.
Speaker 7: My opinion, I just hope he just stays at the hitting category because his hitting ability is off the chart. Pitching I just think might tire him out. I think he should come out of the bullpen here and there, like he has because he's DH and he come out of the bullpen and throw an inning into here and just because he's so good as the reliever too, like he could be one of the dominant relievers and dominant starters. I think as a starter, man, I think it might get wear a tear a little bit and tire him out. Why fix something that isn't broken, because that's like I couldn't meet no broke. This is good, I'm good piece, this is great. But I think coming out of the bullpen, he could really dominate.
Speaker 1: Look, that's not an outrageous take by Barry Bonds. There's a lot of people that feel the same way. But I'll just say this. The Dodgers have one of the most actually the most unique player in baseball. And the reason why the Dodgers and Otani at this point are still not closing the door on him being a starting pitcher for the Dodgers is because the roster rules now only allow you to have thirteen pitchers on your roster, but show Haotani does not count against that, So in essence, you have an extra pitcher that no other team is allowed to carry. And look, the Dodgers are not asking Otani to be the anchor like Bonds is thinking about Randy Johnson and Kurt Shilling. They have plenty of pitching to support the workload for show Heotani. And I know they you know how many teams can say, you know what, Otani, We're gonna scale you back from your pitching because we have plenty of pitching and we just need you to focus right now on hitting and we'll get to that pitching later. So I could see eventually Otani not being a starting pitcher and possible league going into the bullpen as a closer or a high leverage reliever. But how would he warm up if he's a reliever and he's the DH. If he's the DH, how is he gonna go warm up? You know, if he's coming up in that inning and the Dodgers need him to come in to close out the ninth inning. It's just I just don't see how being a reliever is feasible because of the variables of where he would come up in the batting order. So if he's not a starting pitcher, I just don't see him being a pitcher at all. And my understanding is and I kind of feel this that Otani understands that one day he is not going to be the Unicorn. One day he will not be that starting pitcher. He's just going to be a hitter. He's and maybe plays the field. Remember last year he was flaunting an outfield glove, a first base glove. I do believe he understands that at one point during this period of time with the Dodgers, it's going to come to an end. So when that happens, I don't know. And is he going to pitch this year? I think he is. That's that's what I've gotten back from the Dodgers. But who knows the left shoulder injury how that's a variable in all this. So I do believe Otani's going to pitch this year, But when is that going to happen? I would tend to lean towards Junish because the Dodgers want those innings for the postseason. They've got plenty of pitching for the first half of the year. The second half of the year is when it gets really scaled into and zoned in on who they're thinking about for October show, Hey, Otani, it's going to be a wild ride in Tokyo, Japan. We will have live reports from there from the Tokyo series when we take off on Wednesday, I'll be reporting back for Dodgers Radio AM five to seventy LA Sports, So stay tuned and you can follow me on x at the Real Underscore DV on Instagram at officially Vassa to see everything the pov as the kids say. When I'm in Tokyo with the team, I'm looking forward to it. Everybody's looking forward to it. It's going to be wild being there with show hey Otani and Yamamoto and Sazaki, but specifically Otani. I'm looking so forward to being there and seeing just how popular he is. It feels like he's on a deity level out there in Japan. That'll do it for us. On Dodger Talk tonight, we will have Tomorrow's Cactus League Finale for the Dodgers on our air on the World Champion Dodgers Audio Network. Our pregame coverage begins at twelve thirty, with first pitch between the Dodgers and Guardians at one oh five. Thanks to Colin Ye, thanks to Ronnie Fossio, and thanks to you for listening in case you missed any of the show or our interview with Clayton Krushaw. You can find it on the iHeartRadio app. We will talk to you tomorrow at twelve thirty. Have a great rest of your night, see you