Speaker 1: You unlock this door with the key of imagination. Beyond it is another dimension, a dimension of sun, a dimension of sight, a dimension of mind. You're moving into a land of both shadow and substance of things and ideas. You've just crossed over into the Twilight Zone.
Speaker 2: In an interview that was conducted during the third season of The Twilight Zone, Road Sailing expressed his fatigue with the show. He said, I'm tired of it, as most people are when they do a series for three years. I was tired after the fourth show. It's been a good series. It's not been consistently good, but I don't know any one series that is consistently good when you shoot each episode in three days. We've been trying gradually to get away from the necessity of a gimmick, but the show has the stamp of the gimmick and it's hooked for now. It's tough to come up with them week after week. And this wasn't the only time that Rod Sailing spoke about his growing exhaustion. As the series progressed by the fifth season, his fatigue must have been even more pronounced, and if he felt that the show was relying too heavily on the twist ending gimmick, as he called it. Perhaps in its fifth year, it needed to evolve, with other writers taking on the line's share of writing duties. In season five, wrote only six episodes. It was clear that times where changing and new themes emerging, and this evolution of the show occurred against the backdrop of nineteen sixty four, a pivotal year in American history marked by social and cultural changes. The civil rights movement reached a milestone with the signing of the Civil Rights Act of nineteen sixty four by President Lyndon B. Johnson, outlawing discrimination based on race, color, religion, sex, or national origin. The arrival of the Beatles in America sparked a British invasion, influencing music and fashion. The Vietnam War was escalating, leading to growing anti war sentiment and protests. Culturally, new forms of expression in art, music, and literature were emerging in fluenced by the beat generation and the burgeoning counterculture movement. This period of transformation set the stage for the social and political upevils that would define the rest of the decade. So if counterculture was leaving its mark on the arts, perhaps it was time for the Twilight Zone to address that counterculture.
Speaker 3: You know who they are, no, I don't know.
Speaker 4: Strange type of this neighborhood and you stay away from a young lady.
Speaker 2: Traditionally the Twilight Zone was the domain of men in suits and ties. But as three men ride their motorcycles into a white pickard fence neighborhood, the type that we've seen over and over in episodes like Walking Distance, maybe the show was ready to address the counterculture and leave the suits and ties in the closet of instead for some black leather jackets.
Speaker 1: Three strangers arrive in a small town, three men in black leather jackets and an empty rented house. We'll call them Steve and Scott and Fred, but their names are not important. Their mission is as three men on motorcycles lead us into the twilight'sign.
Speaker 2: First broadcast on January thirty first, nineteen sixty four, written by el Hamner Junior and directed by Joseph F.
Speaker 3: Newman.
Speaker 2: So pretty basic opening narration from Rod Sailing where he introduces the characters even by name, and says they have a mission. So not much to comment on here. And our writer tonight is Earl Hamner Junior, who is on episode six of his eight episode run, and he shares something in common with our director tonight, who is Joseph f. New who we have spoken about before, because he is one of that new crop of directors who came to the show in season five, and he actually has the distinction of bookending this season by starting it with in praise of Pip. And the thing he has in common with al Hamner is they both ended with the Bewitching Pool. So I won't go into his bio now, as we will have done it before in this season, apart from to say that after this episode he only has one more credit, one episode of a Western show called The Big Valley. So our scene is set. Three bikers come to this quiet suburb, attracting suspicious looks from one of the residents, Stuugh Tillman, but admiring looks from his daughter Ellen Tillman, and the Tilmans settled down for the evening in their living room, which is a set that gets a lot of use here in season five because as we've seen it in ninety years without slumbering and ringed in girls so far. But when they do sit down, the television loses its picture. The lights flicker, on and off. Ellen's radio is picking up strange voices, and Stu Tillman notices a new aerial on the roof of the house where the three bikers moved in, so Stu goes to investigate.
Speaker 1: Billy, I'm Stu Tillman live over next door. I've been having a little trouble over there with my electricity.
Speaker 3: It fades on and off. Are you boys? Don't happen to be Ham radio operators? Do you? What's so funny?
Speaker 5: Big Daddy wants to know what's so funny?
Speaker 3: Who are you boys? Anyway? We are Master's Daddyo.
Speaker 2: We came from out of space.
Speaker 3: Take us to your.
Speaker 4: Leader just a minute, or I'll just syntegrated with my rag gun.
Speaker 1: Now you wait.
Speaker 2: So, after being pushed around by the bikers, ste does forget it after one of the bikers uses powers of suggestion to remove it from his mind.
Speaker 3: Still, what is it? What's happened to you? Do? Those men?
Speaker 5: What they've done to you?
Speaker 3: M nothing, They didn't do anything.
Speaker 1: Well, you were you were going to ask them about the television interference.
Speaker 3: Oh it wasn't them. There the nice boys. There three very nice boys.
Speaker 2: So who are these three very nice boys. Now, I won't go too deep into bios on our three Bikers, because otherwise this episode will be nothing but bios. But let's just briefly go over their careers. Steve has played by Michael Frost, who I believe is still with us today and has been working as recently as twenty twenty, and in contrast to his rugged screen persona, he was also an accomplished Shakespearean actor and in Unlocking the Door to a Television classic, Martin Graham's junior prints part of an interview that he did with Tom Weaver, and Michael says, we played aliens on motorcycles in there, and I used to ride motorcycles. They gave me a bike that had a regular foot clutch, which was the old fashioned kind that I was used to riding. So they gave me this nineteen thirty nine Harley frame with a brand new engine and a foot clutch. They call it a suicide clutch. The other bikes had the hand clutch, which of course all bikes have now. It was fun because they were very hot bikes, and we did wheelies a couple of times, which weren't supposed to do, but we got fooling around and it was a fun episode to do.
Speaker 3: So.
Speaker 2: The next of our trio is Fred, played by Tom gilleran an actor with so few credits to his name that I can reel them off for you right now. He was in Riverboat in nineteen sixty Alfred Hitchcock Presents in nineteen sixty one to nineteen sixty two, four episodes in total, an episode of The Donna Reed Show in nineteen sixty two, this episode of the Twilight Zone in nineteen sixty four, one episode of the TV show Gidget in nineteen sixty six, an episode of the FBI in nineteen seventy two, one episode of Dallas in nineteen eighty one, and two episodes of night Rider in nineteen eighty four. So not particularly prolific in acting, and it does suggest that maybe he decided that the business wasn't for him, and I believe that he left acting and worked in real estate for many years. Then finally, Scott is played by Leakinsolving and he was born in nineteen thirty eight in Boston, Massachusetts. Initially he was a Broadway actor and was signed by the same agents who had brought success to James Dean and Tad Hunter. He hit television screens in nineteen fifty eight and started to do the rounds on anthologies like Playhouse ninety and The Westinghouse Desilu Playhouse. So things were looking bright. But as he approached the mid sixties, although he was working steadily, he hadn't found that breakout part that would take him to the next level, so, after becoming frustrated, he too quit the business. After that, he ran a bar for a couple of years, managed Dark Galleries, and then in nineteen seventy two decided to spend most of his time on his boat exploring exotic locations. But sadly, in nineteen seventy four, at the age of thirty six, he died of a mysterious respiratory illness. So back to our episode. While Stu Tillman didn't have a particularly good running with the bikers, his daughter has quite a different experience when the bus that she wants it to catch drives away and biker Scott approaches her on his motorcycle.
Speaker 6: Did you see that bus?
Speaker 3: It pulled right away?
Speaker 6: It's like a game with them. They just like to make people suffer.
Speaker 3: Why do they do that?
Speaker 6: Oh?
Speaker 3: It beats me? Just thank you're lucky stars.
Speaker 6: You don't have to depend on buses to get around.
Speaker 5: Stars are lucky?
Speaker 6: Well, you know that old expression.
Speaker 7: Well, I understand a great deal about the constellations, that is the nature of the galactic structure.
Speaker 2: But I mean I dig stars.
Speaker 3: But so they're lucky.
Speaker 7: That's a gas.
Speaker 3: Yes, So are you? One minute you sound like a professor. In the next minute you're.
Speaker 6: Talking like a beatnik.
Speaker 2: You need a ride?
Speaker 6: Well, you're not going by the library by any chance, are you? I could with me on the back seat?
Speaker 3: Why not?
Speaker 2: So we hear that, Scott and Nish. He doesn't grasp that figure of speech that Ellen says. But then it's like he remembers that he's supposed to talk a particular way and starts to use slang again, and Ellen says that he talks like a beatnik.
Speaker 3: Now.
Speaker 2: One of the things that sticks out about this episode is the language, the use of words like daddio and cool, and in Rod Selling's closing narration on the previous episode, he says this, and.
Speaker 1: Now mister Surling Earl Hamnrid Junior brings his typebreter in his ferutile mind back into the twilight. So next time with a program about visitors on the service. They're beatniks. A few ranchy looking characters and motorcycles draw in a tone one day, but once you meet them, you won't forget them. They're quite different from what they appear.
Speaker 3: Now.
Speaker 2: I'm no expert on American history, and I'm not sure whether the term beatnick could be used in different ways, kind of like how someone might call another person a punk. They're not saying that a punk in the context of punk music, but they're saying that they're a troublemaker or immature or disruptive. So I don't know whether they're called beatnicks in that sense, because to me, the three bikers who we see here aren't beatnicks. Beatnicks were a kind of social and literary movement that took place in the nineteen fifties and sixties, and their whole thing was to reject societal norms and they embraced the more liberated and bohemian lifestyle. Poetry, readings, jazz music, and comfortable clothes were the order of the day. But while the gang in black leather jackets talk, the beatnick talk, the more in line with Marlon Brando's character Johnny Strabler, In the nineteen fifty three movie The Wild One, he's the leader of a motorcycle gang called the Black Rebels Motorcycle Club. And while Johnny does embody a rebellious and anti establishment attitude, which is somewhat in line with the Beatnick ethos, he isn't really a beatnick either, like I said beat next to or more associated with the literary and artistic counterculture of the nineteen fifties, focusing on poetry, jazz, and the bohemia lifestyle. Johnny, on the other hand, is more of an outlaw biker, representing a different kind of rebellion against societal norms.
Speaker 1: Hey, where you been?
Speaker 2: Hey?
Speaker 3: Listen, what's happening later?
Speaker 2: What are you gonna do later?
Speaker 3: I work? You gotta go forth, don't you Well? You're not gonna work forever? Are you? It looks like it sometimes.
Speaker 8: What I'm talking about tonight after finish up my ten years long we're busy, sounds like we're going to be busy until you leave here?
Speaker 2: Where are you going when you leave here?
Speaker 3: Don't you know? Hm? Man, We're just gonna go.
Speaker 9: Just trying to make conversation that means nothing to me.
Speaker 3: Well, on the weekends, we go out and have a ball.
Speaker 1: And what do you do?
Speaker 9: I mean, do you just ride around or do you go on some sort of a picnic or something?
Speaker 3: A picnic?
Speaker 1: Man, you are too square.
Speaker 7: I'm ya.
Speaker 3: I have to straighten you out.
Speaker 2: Now.
Speaker 8: Listen.
Speaker 1: You don't go any one special place.
Speaker 3: That's cornball style.
Speaker 5: You just go a bunch gets together after all week, it builds up you.
Speaker 7: Just the idea is to have a ball.
Speaker 3: Now, if you're gonna stay cool, you.
Speaker 1: Got to whale.
Speaker 3: You got to put something down. You got to make some jive.
Speaker 2: Don't you know what I'm talking about?
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, I know.
Speaker 9: What you mean.
Speaker 1: Well, that's all I'm saying.
Speaker 9: My father was going to take me on a fishing trip to Canada once.
Speaker 3: Yeah, we didn't go crazy.
Speaker 2: And his character in that movie became a cultural corner of the nineteen fifties, symbolizing youthful defile and the spirit of rebellion. So, while there are some overlapping themes of nonconformity and rebellion, and also I guess similar youth speak, Johnny Strabler is more accurately described as an outlaw biker rather than a beatnick. And I'd argue that our characters here in black leather jackets would be too. So while I think it's inaccurate to call them beat nicks, is that the point is that what el Hamner was getting at was he showing us that these aliens are getting their countercultures mixed up. They dress like bikers, but they talk like beatnicks. Or is it the case that Hamner just wasn't up on his countercultures? Well, I think in Hamner's favor on that one, would Allen have said, you talk like a beatnick if he'd have actually looked like a beatnick, she'd have just taken that as red. So she does have a bit of a sense of why you talking like beating it? You don't look like one. So I guess we'll give el Hamner the benefit of the doubt on that one. But it's not really drawn attention to apart from nah the fact that these aliens are getting their kind of cultural milestones mixed up and melding together these styles. It kind of comes to nothing in the episode, but as Scott and Allen rides away on Scott's bike, there's a nice shot where the other two members of Scott's gang look out of the window disapprovingly, and then we cut to Ellen's parents looking out of their window disapprovingly too. So while Scott and Allen head to the library, we can't help but notice that Ellen's dad, Stu, looks very familiar. And that's because Stu Tillman is played by Denver Pyle and he was born in nineteen twenty in Colorado. Now, depending on your viewing habits, you might recall him mouse for the role where he sported a big white beard and dungarees and was the uncle of those Duke boys in The Dukes of Hazard. But that fame in the eighties really was just a tip of the iceberg of a career that spanned two hundred and sixty seven credits, making him truly one of the hardest working actors of his day. As a young man, having grown up on a farm, he worked on everything from oil fields to shrimp boats before serving in the Navy in World War Two. But following the war he went back to manual labor, but also took part in some amateur dramatics, and it was here that he was spotted by a talent scout, and he made his film debut in nineteen forty seven in a film called The Guilt of Janet Ames, and then the hard work ethic that he had as a younger man translated to the screen. Often in his early career he would take uncredited sidekick roles, but later on his association with John Wayne Will lead them to work on several of the Duke's movies like The Horse Soldiers, The Man Who Shot Liberty, Balance, and The Alamo, and he was often cast as older than he was because of his prematurely white hair, but it was not old age that beat him in the end. Denver passed away in nineteen ninety seven of lung cancer, but not before The Dukes of Hazard Reunion movie was released that year, and he also received the honor of a star on the Hollywood Walk of Fame, attending the ceremony despite his weakness from his illness. So when Ellen and Scott drive off into the night on Scott's motorbike, we are coming up to halfway through the episode, and while the language the bikers use is a bit goofy and dated, it's not the only reason why this feels a bit different from your usual Twilight Zone. Maybe in the fifth season that's a good thing. So let's just keep an eye on that for the moment. But when Ellen and Scott decide to take a walk to the library through the park, this happens pretty.
Speaker 3: Isn't it.
Speaker 9: Mm hm?
Speaker 6: You know this is kind of a special place with me. I come you sometimes and I just try to figure things out, like what, Well, for one thing, did you know that you have lived next door to me for a week and you've never said hello, Hello?
Speaker 3: My name is Ellen, my name is Scott.
Speaker 1: Where are you from?
Speaker 9: I mean, where did you live before you move next door?
Speaker 7: Long way from here?
Speaker 5: Where I doubt you ever even heard of?
Speaker 2: It?
Speaker 8: Could be geography is one of my worst subjects.
Speaker 3: Have you finished school? Yes? Ten years ago?
Speaker 6: Ten years ago?
Speaker 3: You're not that at old.
Speaker 7: I'm older than you'd think.
Speaker 5: My people just don't show their age well by time.
Speaker 9: It's the same way.
Speaker 6: You know, my grandmother lived to be ninety and you would have taken when he was sixty until we eh, she died.
Speaker 5: I've never seen anything so beautiful now.
Speaker 2: When this episode was given a production number, Martin Graham's junior writes that it was originally titled Love Story, And you could say that this is where the episode kind of screeches to a halt and we get thrown over the handlebars. Scott and Allen start to fall for each other, and Steve and Fred look on disapprovingly as they man a huge computer bank.
Speaker 3: Be at ease. Where is your brother? You no longer trust our brother? What has he done?
Speaker 2: Formed an attachment here with one of the people.
Speaker 3: What kind of attachment? I'm not sure yet.
Speaker 2: He's with a young girl in spite of our orders.
Speaker 3: Proceed without him. Good. We've been in touch with all units.
Speaker 4: The second wave has landed successfully and has concealed as planned. The landing of a third wave, we will be in key position us throughout the country.
Speaker 3: Excellent. The people, are they suspicious? Not a bit?
Speaker 4: They are stupid race, as our research stutus an inferior breed. Given the killing, hatred, making war, greed and cruelly to one another.
Speaker 3: The universe can well do with that.
Speaker 4: Then you will receive your instructions for the final move in a few days.
Speaker 2: So these two aliens Shor did lose trust in their brother quickly, and they informed their leader of that. And we discovered that this is a plot to take over the world, and this is just one of several teams who are doing it, so why did they choose the names Scott, Steve and Fred Well. In his book Dimensions Behind the Twilight Zone, Stuart Staniard speaks to el Hamner Junior and asks him black Leather Jacket seems to be a precursor to biker films of the mid to late sixties, and el Hamner says, oh, yes, they stole that idea from me.
Speaker 6: No.
Speaker 2: The only similarity I can find to real life of the guys in the Leather Jacket story with the fact that there were kids in my neighborhood, my son Scott and the Kooch's boy Steve and the next door neighbor the hobblets on Fred all had mini bikes and they used to terrorize the neighborhood with their mini bikes. There was an English lady, Pamela Goldstein who lived next door, who would get hoses out and throw water at them and shout be gone. As a matter of fact, I even call those characters Freddie, Scott and Steve. And I understand a lot of people who felt that episode was rather faultily constructed with a lot of holes in it, but I still had the fun of naming the characters after my son and his friends. I don't think they were especially pleased about it. Now, in the middle of this episode, there is a space for a commercial break, and prior to the break, we see the two brothers speaking to their leader on the bank of s Greens at their house. And then after the break we see them there again, but this time five days have passed and we'll learn that Scott has been seeing Ellen for those five days and this has caused the alien commander to lose trust in them too, and the other two are to continue with the plan themselves. Now, the alien leader is depicted as just a huge eye on the screen, and it's a bit of a strange choice considering the aliens themselves seem to take on human form, So if he's just taken on human form, why doesn't he just sit in front of the screen. But this wasn't how he was described in the original script. In the original script it said, over the heads of the three men, we see a screen where a being of some kind is visible. It is ahead a metallic mask with slits for eyes, nose, and lips. Now, central to this story is the love affair between Scott and Ellen, which sabotages Scott's ability to take part in the alien invasion plot, and possibly sabotage is the episode itself. So with about ten minutes left, we are treated to a scene between Ellen and Scott with the dialogue is so clunky that it feels like George Lucas might have used it as inspiration for the Infamous I don't like sand scene between Padme and Anakin in Attack of the Clones.
Speaker 3: You like me, don't you?
Speaker 1: Well?
Speaker 3: You know that, Scott very much?
Speaker 2: Yes, very much.
Speaker 3: Do you know the word love?
Speaker 1: Well?
Speaker 3: Of course, silly? What an odd question?
Speaker 5: What's odd about it?
Speaker 7: Don't you read your newspapers, your magazines, listen to your television programs, your radio?
Speaker 2: We have we, Scott?
Speaker 6: Who is we?
Speaker 7: Well, that doesn't matter. It is filled with hate, Ellen, hate, violence, mistrust. I don't see how anyone as nice as you have survived this long.
Speaker 3: Well, I'm certainly no different from anybody else.
Speaker 5: I haven't seen a single report on anyone.
Speaker 1: Like you report, Scott.
Speaker 4: You're talking riddles.
Speaker 6: Sometimes you make me feel like an insect under a microscope.
Speaker 2: Please, I'd like to go home.
Speaker 1: Got it?
Speaker 6: I'm very sorry, but I feel as though you have been lying to me. I don't know why or what it is you're trying to hide, but I know you're not what you're seeing.
Speaker 5: What if I'm not?
Speaker 7: Do you think you're in any position to judge me?
Speaker 5: Any of you?
Speaker 3: Please?
Speaker 2: I would like to go home.
Speaker 5: I'm sorry, Ellen, It's my fault.
Speaker 3: I expected too much. Now.
Speaker 2: I know Scott is an alien and his use of the language can be off sometimes, but I still find the dialogue here and in several other scenes to be pretty bad. But while Scott and Allen talk about whatever that was, let's meet the woman who played Ellen. Shelley Fabrerez plays Ellen, and she was born in nineteen forty four in Santa Monica, California, and her aunt was a singer and comedian called Nanette Fabri who was successful in the business in several shows of the fifties and sixties, and she appeared in things like Playhouse ninety. But her renditions of songs can also be heard on several soundtracks, most recently a version of that entertainment in the movie Joker Folio dur So. Shelley started early in the business, tap dancing at the age of three, modeling in school and at the age of eleven, appearing on television in shows like Mattine Theater and Captain Midnight, but it was their teenage years that really cemented her star status, becoming a teen idol in film like Rock Pretty Baby, where she played Twinkie daily and again in its sequel Summer Love in nineteen fifty eight. So by the time she hits the Twilight Zone in nineteen sixty four, she'd have been about nineteen or twenty years old, and thankfully she was able to make that transition from teen star to adult star when a lot of other teen idols of hair generation fizzled out. And after the Twilight Zone, she had parts in the Elvis movies Girl Happy, spin Out, and clam Bake, and then transitioned mainly into television going Forward, where she worked all the way up to two thousand and six, and one of her lastree caring roles was as Mark Kent in Superman the animated series. So what we find out is that the aliens have a plot to put bacteria in a reservoir that will wipe out all the people in the area, and we learn this when the alien leader is speaking with Steve and Fred, but Scott overhears, and when they notice him, he runs away to Ellen's house. And the way it kind of plays is that Scott is shocked by this, But what exactly did he think they were there to do? He wouldn't have come to Earth for nothing, And as we hear in a moment, he knows every other aspect of the plan. If he's not into it, he's had a whole week of dating Allen to do something about it.
Speaker 5: We came from out there, Ellen, from beyond those stars, the thousands.
Speaker 2: Of us on this planet right now.
Speaker 5: Our people need space. We've come here to set up colonies.
Speaker 6: Scott, you can't be serious.
Speaker 5: We have had bacteria units in every country on this planet for months. Each unit has enough germs to poison the drinking supply of the entire world population.
Speaker 6: I will walk with you over to your friend's house.
Speaker 1: You had better wake them and let them call you a doctor.
Speaker 2: Now you've got to listeners.
Speaker 6: Good please, I love you, but you're not wildn.
Speaker 5: Now.
Speaker 2: I often say that I don't need Twilight Own episodes to join every dot for me. I see them as fables and will accept a lot as long as everything generally hangs together and the message is delivered intact, but what exactly is the message here?
Speaker 3: Now?
Speaker 2: Granted, not everything needs to have a message. Sometimes something can just be a story for the sake of it, and that's fine, but the episode does seem to be reaching for something. You know, a love story about an alien who is part of an invasion force changing his mind because he falls in love and learns what love is. You know, there's a story in that. But this is just so undercooked. It would have made a lot more sense if Scott was falling for Ellen, and the more he fell for her, the more he began to reflect on why they were there and why he didn't want to be part of her anymore. But this just plays like he forgot about it and it doesn't really make any sense. So things come to a head, and while Scott continues to try and do the right thing, unfortunately things are more advanced than we thought, and when Ellen's family try to report it to the deputy Sheriff, it turns out that the deputy sheriff is one of them two and the ever ready men in white coats come to take Scott away. In the Twilight Zone, companion Mark Zickri says the episode is filled with wild implosibilities, such as the fact that these creatures attempting to blend into the background as much as possible so that they can surreptitiously poison the water supply. Assume disguise is guaranteed to attract the eye of every nervous suburbanite. Then there's the matter of one of them falling in love with a pretty little Native girl. Although he has telekinetic powers, the smith and alien makes no effect to prove his claim that he's from outer space by demonstrating his otherworldly abilities, So not un much to disagree with Dare. And then there are the reviews from critics of the day that Martin Graham's junior quotes in Unlocking the Door to a television Classic, and he writes that Edwin Matteski, a television columnist, gave a rundown of the shows that had been presented on the program for the past few weeks, including Probe seven, Over and Out, Number twelve, Looks Just Like You, and The Long Morrow, and he said that they were underdone, sometimes mediocre type of science fiction from the level of great science fiction ala Ray Brabery or Isaac Asimov or Our Long sailing the Twilight Soon has tumbled, for the most part, into the bleak pedestrian world of pulp science fiction. Now, I wouldn't necessarily agree with him with some of the other episodes that he quoted, but I probably would with this one. And another newspaper columnist said that this was more an outer limit episode than anything else, and I would probably agree with that too. Throughout the history of the Twilight Zone podcast, I've made it a point to set aside preconceived notions and give each episode a fair chance, regardless of its reputation. But it's hard to ignore the shadow that black Leather Jackets casts. So where do we begin? Does it disave its infamy as one of the worst Twilight Zone episodes. I've often said that the Twilight Zone is a product of its time, but most of the time it's also timeless. The fashion of the nineteen fifties and sixties, for example, rarely feels outdated. Fashions evolve, but there's something enduring about a well tailored suit on a man, or the kind of attire that the women of the Twilight Zone wear. These styles not only remain appealing today, but they also harken back to the earlier decades, as men's suits had been staples in American fashion since the early nineteen hundreds. So because of this, the Twilight Zone feels classic but seldom dated until now. By the time Black Leather Jackets aired, it had been ten years since Marlon Brando's rebellious ten in the Wild one where he rode a motorcycle in jeans and a leather jacket, So by now this look wasn't new by any means, but it was still fresh in the world of the Twilight Zone, where protagonists were typically clad in those timeless formal styles. So in that context, the ganging leather jacket does feel like a disruption. So there is something potentially intriguing here, the idea of our classic Twilight Zone world being invaded by this anarchic new generation the bikers, and for these rebellious figures to turn out to be actual invaders from another world. So that parallel does seem very much in line with the show's sensibilities. So what went wrong? I do think part of it is the language. The beatnick slang feels painfully dated now, so while tailored suit and leather jackets might have a timeless appeal, this mode of talking with its daddios and far out sounds ridiculous to modern ears. And whether they are beat Nicks or whether they are bikers, this ethos of rejecting traditional American values, a theme that is rich with potential, is barely explored in any meaningful way. At the time this episode aired, Earl Hamner Junior was forty years old, But more significant than his age was the fact that he wasn't really part of the counterculture. Now, I know you don't need to be part of a thing to write about a thing, but when you read the works of true beat Nicks, you realize just how difficult it is to capture that spirit. It's not something you can fake. The language and philosophy of the Beat generation comes from a deeply rooted rebellion against convention, and if you're not part of that movement, it's hard to authentically replicate their voice. Dropping a few catchphrases like daddio without fully understanding the subculture just feels hollow. But as we said earlier, maybe that's the point that the aliens are faking it, and that they are just a mishmash of different cultures, not understanding any of them. But If that's the case, it seems that so little is done with that there's no payoff to the whole thing. Now, to be fair, this poor use of the language. El Hamner wasn't alone in struggling with that. Even Rod Sailing stumbled when trying to write for youth culture in his nineteen sixty nine show The New People.
Speaker 3: Now.
Speaker 2: It didn't feature beating it specifically, but it did involve a group of young people stranded on an island, and the attempt to catch a youth speak was just as cringe inducing as this.
Speaker 10: I'm not going to take too much of your time, Sunny Share Center mission time. Well, now you've got the authority to stop this tour handah chet, I've got the authority to confiscate that guitar and then feed it to your strings.
Speaker 3: First. Wow, there's a serious cat.
Speaker 10: Man, all right, by young Grahams. I'm going to give you the bottom line.
Speaker 2: But perhaps the biggest flow in Black Leather Jacket is that it just doesn't feel like a Twilight Zone. The show is proven, it can take many forms, and even in the lesser episodes, it is often a distinctive quality that still makes it unmistakably twilight Zone. Here, however, the core of the story is a shallow love plot that ultimately says nothing significant. Yet this episode held the potential to comment on much deeper themes, counterculture, rebellion, the friction between generations. The nineteen sixties were a period when the polished, idealized image of nineteen fifties domesticity began to crack. A shift was underway from the rigid expectations of the past to a more complex, turbulent future defined by civil rights, youth culture, and a rejection of conformity in black leather jackets. There was an opportunity to explore the changing tides of an era, the angst and uphevial simmering beneath the surface, with the advancement of youth represented by an alien invasion. But instead the episode just feels devoid of any substance. And maybe that's okay if on the surface it's still entertaining, But I think it'll also fall short of even providing that surface level entertainment.
Speaker 1: Portrait of an American family and the eve of invasion from outer space. Of course, we know it's merely fiction, and yet think twice when you drink your next class of water. Find out that it's from your local reservoir, or possibly it came direct to you from the Twilight.
Speaker 2: On Okay, black leather jackets, that was one that a lot of people mentioned to me as being one that they were kind of looking forward to be being covered. But maybe not for necessarily the right reasons.
Speaker 3: I don't know.
Speaker 2: So let's go over to our friends in the after hours club to see what they thought of it. Now, over there, I put a vote up to see whether people think it's top tier, middle tier or bottom tier twilight Zone, and the vote well, like this top tier two percent. Now, that would have been one person, and I think he fessed up to it that it was Chad Boykin, our friend, the writer of the Twilight Zone hi Q, and he'd been at the Golden Daylight that night, so he he did a bit of a drunken vote on that one. Now we have twelve percent say it's middle tier, okay, and then bottom tier are whopping eighty six percent. Have we had a bottom tier that high? I'm not too sure, but it's a high one for sure. So let's hear what people have to say about it. Okay, We've had a lot of comments, so I'll just try and zip through them. So thank you everyone for your comments. Unfortunately, with this many won't be able to really personalize any responses, but we'll just zip through.
Speaker 3: So.
Speaker 2: Our friend Liam Young says, I rewatched. I rewatched this having memories of being terrible. I have to say that it wasn't as bad as I remembered, and I actually quite enjoyed. It shows what managing expectations can do for your perception of something. Had a touch or valley of the shadow about it, but done for a teen audience. Our friend Joshua Haired says, really more of an outer limit episode that Ale couldn't sell right, and this is an Earl Hamner junior script good Night Ale. Our friend Jason Schwartz says it's bad, like really bad, daddy O. But I kind of enjoy it because it's so bad, like watching Mystery Science Theater three thousand. It's still low tea, but I like it. It's like when you eat something terrible and immediately turn to the person next to you and say, hey, try this well, not sit next to you again. Jason, okay. So, Our old friend Al Shadsman says, oh, it's awful. Dreadful, horrible, and it seemed to be on every other time that I turned on a TZ rerun when I was a kid. But I've seen it enough time times now that it's sort of grown on me. Well, Al, you are a fan of the Bard, so you know everything's fair game. Airing early two months after the Kennedy assassination, you could think of it as a classic Cold War commentary, but the elements in employees were already dated. Brando's The Wild One was ten years before, and fifties SF films were already gutted with the they came from out of space to conquerors motifs. The whole thing plays like a ridiculous parody, a mad magazine pastiche. On that level, it works brilliantly. It is a parody, isn't it.
Speaker 9: Thank you?
Speaker 3: Al.
Speaker 2: Our friend Whitney Beeler says, I really dig the way the bikers sequentially park and dismount their bikes. Man, listen, Dad, Yo. As a TZ fan, I think I'm supposed to dislike this story. Honestly, I can't totally dismiss it. It's enjoyable and at the very least is never dull. The impending doom that's coming to the planet is not a pleasant thought, especially knowing that the bikers aliens will soon poison the water supply, never mind that the alien seems to have forgotten about a substantial number of humans with well water. The episode reminds me of an earlier version of The Invaders, Quinn Martin's TV series, especially the deputy that intervenes in the relationship between Scott and Allen. Ultimately, this is somehow silly and grim at the same time, and that's part of its appeal. Still at my bottom tier, but seems to be creeping up my list. Thank you, Whitney. Our friend Steve Badger says, Shelley Fabres looked great in this. She was in three Alvis movies in the mid sixties. Anyway, what was the question? Oh, yeah, bottom tier. I'm afraid despite Shelley Fabres being in it, did I mention she looks great? Thank you, Steve. Am If anyone was going to mention the Alvis connection, I knew it would be you.
Speaker 3: Now.
Speaker 2: I actually have met Steve a couple of times and he has like the best Elvas shrine going in his house. Our friend Michael Clark says, a bit of an unintended comedy.
Speaker 3: Thank you.
Speaker 2: Michael cerebral P says, I like this one, but probably better suited for an hour long episode. It would have been great to see a spaceship landing or some bedlam enchewing. It's difficult to imagine the scale of the invasion force, though I'm sure a select group of paranoid individuals in the sixties were wary of Beatnicks on bikes. It's the cheese baked on top of the bottom tier, a healthy saving of hammer O Greton, Thank you, cerebral P. Brian Griffin says black leather pajamas, pantalons, el fuego. But since this was jackets, no mass, Thank you, Brian. Okay, Chad boych and here he is the drunken polster, he says, top tier all the way, but I've had too many golden delights. I may regret this in the morning. Well, I hope you took a long look at yourself in the morning, Chad. Michael Fahnbach says bottom tier. But it's almost like a condensed version of those cheesy science fiction alien movies from the fifties. That mystery signs theater three thousand like to tackle. So while it's bottom tier, it's not without some entertainment value. Thank you, Michael. Our friend Professor John says, despite the fact that Black Leather Jackets features Michael Forrest, who masterfully played the Gord Apollo in the original Star Trek, this episode is a bit silly and poorly executed.
Speaker 3: I agree.
Speaker 2: Our friend Andrew Snyder says, I consider this by far the waste episode of the entire series. It's as if Hamner were trying to do The Wild One as a Twilight Zone episode. A failure on every level. It actually hits to watch this because I can easily imagine the network executives doing so and deciding it was time to cancel the series. Our friend Ben Carkem says terrible. Sorry, Well, I'm sorry too, Ben. Our friend Michael Lynn says, just a bad story episode, not much to add to earlier comments. Considered a low point. Tough to imagine that Hamner also wrote The Hunt, which was an excellent episode. Issue may have been that Hamner's strength was folksy, perhaps even old fashioned tales versus contemporary sci fi fantasy. Our friend John Hayes says, very bad, very very bad, bad writing. Bad acting, nothing redeeming about it. Thank you, John. Our old friend Uncommon Nasa says, I wanted to like this episode a law for a while. I pushed it to mid tier just on its concept alone, but after watching several times, its slow pace and dry acting from the main biker make it lower tier. It's a shame that Hammner is known for this episode, sometimes more than the classic The Hunt. There is a good episode buried in here, but not many of uncovered it yet, and I haven't either. Our friend Joe Brown says, this episode is just not good. Aliens using the trope to blend in with Earthlings in order to facilitate a takeover, and they won't even no it's coming is poorly done. I look at this as a Trojan Horse story that turns into west Side story or the wild Ones. Tough kids aliens bent on destruction while one of them gets sidetracked by a love interest, causing the infiltrators aliens to leave them behind branded as a traitor. It's just so bad it reminds me of a B movie. In twenty five minutes. Bottom of the bottom tier. Thank you, Joe. Our friend Adam Scriven says, it's close to the very bottom of the series. For me, it's certainly in the bottom ten and possibly the bottom five. It was written like someone in the twenty twenties was trying the stereotype in nineteen sixties, not like a contemporary commentary on current culture. Thank you, Adam. We're almost there, man, This one feels like a marathon. Okay, Jordan Dlock, our friend says, come on, it's not that bad. It can't be the human and it doesn't make me cringe like Cavender is coming. Thank you, Jordan. Our friend Joseph Lesino says, this episode has to go in the bototier in my ranking. However, this doesn't prevent the episode from being an interesting, campy episode. To me, this episode is a window into how counterculture could and would be shown to a nineteen sixty four audience. It could also be seen as a spoof sci fi at the time. All in all, can be fun to examine and sometimes watch. And our friend Josh Chambers finally says, oh boy, oh okay, we got through it.
Speaker 3: Man.
Speaker 2: That was a lot of comments.
Speaker 3: Now.
Speaker 2: I don't think I've thanked the new members of the After Hours Club for a while now. So I'm going to go back a little bit and I might double up on these board. I just want to make sure that I thank people because I really do appreciate when people come aboard. So I want to thank Chris Pulman for joinings. Thank you, Chris, Jay, thank you for coming on board. James la Grotta, Thank you, James. Appreciate it. Aaron and Maxwell, thank you both for coming on. I really appreciate you coming on board. Christopher Sadler, Thank you, Christopher. Thank you for coming to the After Hours Club. My old friend Cassie, sailing Fest attendee and longtime friends of the show. Thank you. Jeffrey kat came on board. Thank you, Jeffrey. Appreciate it. And finally John Caderet my old friend John Caderett. I remember you, John. Don't you worry about that? Okay? Next on the Twilight and Podcast, I was hoping to get another episode out before Christmas, because I know we had that big summer break because of Sailing Fest. But time has just caught up with me as it always tends to do. And after this one, we will be going into our December Twilight and Podcast Advent calendar, and then that will lead up to Christmas Day, when I will be presenting a version of my Sailing Fest presentation, which is called No Christmas this year. So that's the plan for decem But it went down really well last time and everyone seemed to make good comments about the advent calendar, so I hope you enjoy it this time. But don't worry. I will still be working behind the scenes so that we can hopefully hit the ground running in January with our next episode. But before that, let's hear some comments on black leather Jackets.
Speaker 9: Hi, Tom, I'm here to give a rare defense of black leather jackets. Ever since I started reading The Twilight Own Companion as a kid, I remembered reading how terrible this episode was. It was also sort of hard to find the episode because when they started releasing them on DVD, they were done nonsequentially, so I never saw it on DVD until the box sets were released. But when I saw it, I could tell it was bad, but it wasn't terrible. It was a little bit funny, but the brand of humor doesn't seem quite as obvious anymore. It's tongue in cheek, it's really self aware, and it's similar to any number of alien invasion comic book stories from the fifties. The sensibility of the episode actually reminds me a whole lot of an episode of Alfared Hitchcock Presents It's in the fifth season, called Special Delivery. It's an alien invasion story that involves aliens persuading kids to grow mushrooms in their basements, and while black leather jackets used as a more realistic extermination method, both of them are handled with the same kind of ridiculousness, and that's really the fun of it. The radio adaptation of the episode does a whole lot better at playing up some of the campy fifty style lingo and making the aliens behave in more dated ways, but the overarching joke of the aliens behaving in a dated way hasn't age very well. For good reason. It's that most people can't tell the difference between popular slang of the fifties and of the early sixties. I think at the time this would have been a whole lot more obvious and funny. There are a few other things that I'd like. The aliens justify their invasion by saying that mankind is cruel and violent, but then they bully the father needlessly and then brainwash him into thinking that they're good people. The aliens also seem to restrict their telekinesis to the most trivial things possible, like doors and window blinds. The romance element of the episode is not meant to be taken seriously. It's a step removed from what is this thing you humans call love? I don't think there's any message beyond the surface level with this episode. It really doesn't have anything special to say, insights to offer, or even clever plotting or storytelling, but it doesn't offend, and that's something that bumps this episode up. In my estimation of the Twiletson episodes make you feel a little embarrassed for the project. Cavender is coming and mister Beats make me cringe. But you can also imagine if this episode were made as an eighties Twilightson episode. To my eye, I think it would fit right in, and the joke of them behaving in such a dated way would be much more outlandish and entertaining. I can't defend it as a good Twiletson episode, but I can say that it's watchable and for an episode without a message, that's pretty good.
Speaker 8: Hey there, Tom Harold Clark reporting in from you to Texas talking about black leather jackets. If you look at the world today, if you open up your social media or turn on your local news feed, perhaps even look at your own window, you were going to see that this is a planet filled with hate, violence, and mistrust, and that we are a world of angry, frightened people. But also it is true that they murder and hurt one another, and that they're subject to unreasonable hate and prejudice. But these are only the brutes you find them in any race. Most of these people have the capacity for love. They learn love from their God and they teach it to their children. There's more of love here than hate. All of that came from this episode, so we obviously haven't changed very much in sixty two years. It's been a long while since I've seen this episode. Fifteen years, I guess, and I knew of its reputation as one of the worst Twilight Zone episodes. Sure, it plays like a cliff notes version of a more fleshed out episode, and perhaps this would have been a fine example to turn into a season four episode in order to flesh out some of these some of the story beats, but one of the worst. Nah if for no rather reason, it shows us that we are a stubborn human race. But it also should remind us that there is more love than.
Speaker 9: Hate in the world.
Speaker 8: But there are brutes or bad apples in every group of people Americans, Europeans, white, Black, Hispanic Asians, Christians, Muslims, Buddhists, police, doctors, lawyers, teachers, politicians, celebrities, neighbors, family members, and the list goes on and.
Speaker 9: On and on.
Speaker 8: We can't let them drowned out the rest of us. Let us not forget we all are all a part of one race, the human race, and this episode reminded me of that. So Bravo twilight Zone and Earl Hamner Junior.
Speaker 4: Rod Serling, creator of The Twilight Zone. We'll tell you about next week's story after this message.
Speaker 2: If you want to get your thoughts onto the show, then send a clip of about five minutes or less to Tom at the twilight Zone podcast dot com about the show that we've covered or our next one. And let's go over to Rod Sailing to find out what's coming up next.
Speaker 1: And now, mister Surling next time out on the Twilight Zone, Richard Matheson provides us with a tour de force and suspense and the unexpected with a show called Nightcall. It stars one of the most eminent actresses of our time, Miss Gladys Cooper, and it poses the kind of question that arises when a telephone keeps ringing and you realize that the caller has.
Speaker 3: Not been on earth for a number of years.
Speaker 1: I hope this intrigues, because I think the show will. Next time out. Nightcall fand the Band took the Band and