Speaker 1: So this has been a week of improvements. Here at the inside of the Paint podcast. We've taken out a lot of trash. First off, there is the I want to hear I find. I finally muted the imassage on my laptop, so every time that I get a notification, you won't hear being really loud in your ear.
Speaker 2: Oh so that's all it took.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it was. It was. I'm ashamed to tell you how long.
Speaker 2: That's hilarious. How to do that? Yeah that was.
Speaker 1: I'm sure his ears are happier now.
Speaker 2: Yeah. I didn't care enough to like bring it up, but I just assumed that it was something that was not fixable. But the fact it was just a simple notification, said he was pretty pretty amazing.
Speaker 1: Actually, yeah, because I use I could for the soundboard. I could just use that and put it right in a garage band where I push a button and that sound effect goes into the recording. But then you guys wouldn't hear it, and you guys kind of have to hear what's going on. So to do it, I play the sound effects out an external speaker. The downside is everything else that plays through the computers externally. You also hear. So when I go to an ESPN page and it auto plays a really loud highlight or an ad, everybody gets that magic.
Speaker 2: Uh yeah.
Speaker 1: Overall though we fixed that. That's that's much better point for us.
Speaker 2: You know. It's funny the experience that I have listening to this podcast, and yes, I care enough to listen back to it when we you know, make sure that I didn't say anything they'll get me fired, anything that was too over the top. I'll re listen to the show we did, and in that timeframe, I always hear a notification going off and I'm like, wow, people actually care about me. So then I go look at my phone and I'm like, oh no, that cares about me a context. So yeah, thang, thanks to Ryan for that one.
Speaker 1: That is exactly what it is. And I have listened to it over and over again and not known if it's my phone or just the podcast. Whenever you hear in Kansas beat Iowa state by twenty five points and thirty times now out of the last thirty three, they have one that's all you hear in your ear over and over.
Speaker 2: Like like, yes, I wasn't that bad.
Speaker 1: It wasn't it. It was it was. It had its moment. So we fixed that. Uh, and we also fired Landon. That that happened over the week. Landon is no longer on inside the Paint. We finally decided, you know what, a ninety percent attendance rate for a show wherever you're not making any money, it's just.
Speaker 2: Not good enough. It's not you know.
Speaker 1: We had to sit down and unfortunately we had to deliver the hard news that, well, uh, you suck ass. It's okay. So your thoughts on this being just a two person show now.
Speaker 2: Oh man, you know it's a big honor this, Uh, the fact that it's a two person show. Now, this is the highlight of my career, my professional career, which should tell you a lot about how my professional career is going.
Speaker 1: Not great, bad, sad, loss, very sad.
Speaker 2: It's quite sad. But uh yeah, Landon actually died. We didn't fire him. He watched a Matt Nagy coach Chief's Offense yesterday, had a heart attack, and then simultaneously killed himself.
Speaker 1: Oh my god, Okay, that was that was so loud. I'm gonna have to go in and fix that. Apparently the you click the bagpipe sound effect and it kind of it kind of hit you, like like like Oakland did when they came into Uh, I'm not I'm not seeing what you typed in the notes there Landon's actual cause of death. No, Landon will be back next week, he's he's he's just out for a week or so. Uh So, yeah, we'll we'll get there. But in the meantime, you get this, the two of us to recap Oakland, Cam you're alma mater to not do you proud? They went into Alan Field House and they got curb stopped by the Jayhawks.
Speaker 2: Yeah, pretty much. Uh, it's pretty much what we expected. Just introduce myself. I I am a man who has the heart of Barry Sanders and the legs of Bernie Sanders.
Speaker 1: That is fantastic resident Lions fan who you've been holding on hope since Barry Sanders and now maybe have something to be excited about.
Speaker 2: So much hope and so much room to be very disappointed in early February. So we're we're bracing for that.
Speaker 1: But yeah, camp guys, I see no path possible to them losing on a horrendously controversial pass Inafferance call to Andy Reid's chiefs in the Super Bowl after blowing at ten point lead in the final ten minutes. I have the lot of idea, so funny. All right, so we're gonna talk about Kansas beating Oakland and then the other games segment this week is pretty funny, not because there was a lot of interesting things, but there's a lot of stupid stuff we'll get to. And then in case that game wasn't exciting enough, they're gonna play an even less exciting game when you n. C. Wilmington comes in here, and the game will probably look about like the one we just watched, just with different jerseys.
Speaker 2: Right, Yeah, pretty much, big big games on the docket.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and by big games you mean but that's okay because you have to get through them. They can get to the big ones. All right, let's talk about it inside. Let's said, let's talk about inside the paint. This is inside the paint. I am missing land in fields.
Speaker 2: And I am not landed fields.
Speaker 1: Okay, So before we talk about Kansas camp, I want you and a I want you to explain one because the listeners probably want to know, and two because I don't know. I'm having a hard time keeping track. You are in Detroit, set to move to Chicago. Are you what's the timeline on that? How is that going?
Speaker 2: By the way, So I shouldn't I shouldn't claim Detroit. I'm actually like two hours north of Detroit. I am in the most Caucasian town in the United States. It's called Midland. It's a very small town in mid Michigan. But I have a girlfriend down yeah, cue of music. I have a girlfriend down near Detroit, so I spent a lot of time down there. I'm actually moving to Chicago for a new job in the next week and a half, so getting ready to maybe become a part time Bears fan. I'm not sure if I have that self esteem, but we're gonna find out when I move. So yeah, that's pretty much it. But now we're up here in the Mitten and moving permanently here within the next week. So crazy times.
Speaker 1: I didn't know you were two hours away. Also jump from Detroit. Also jump you know that the video of the people rescuing the billy goat that was stuck in like the crack and he immediately wants free then jumps right back in. That would be you going from Lions vandam the Bears fandom, sir. That's just unbearable trade off, especially now.
Speaker 2: Yeah, the Lions are the Lions are surging, and the Bears of Caleb Williams in a non functional offense. Caleb Williams, by the way, not to get off to a hot football start here. But I don't think Caleb Williams is necessarily the problem. That coaching staff is a dumpster fire, and oh I feel bad for anyone that goes to place quarterback there.
Speaker 1: Yeah, the Bears try did the let's reboot the whole franchise and take a new quarterback and all that, but let's keep our coach. I'm sure that'll be fine, and it's going exactly the way that you thought. They just need to do a hard reboot on that thing. But Caleb Williams hasn't thrown a touchdown pass sense before Plate Knight and the Fog, so it's been a little while. But hey, you know what, you know who has thrown lots of I don't know, there's no touchdown passive best whatever ever? Number one Kansas seventy eight, Oakland fifty seven. You know, I usually like to write something interesting or humorous.
Speaker 2: Here, but there was nothing interesting.
Speaker 1: No, not Whenever they play a team like this every year. They have a handful of games where they win easily and there's not a lot of takeaway from it, even though we're gonna try for about twenty minutes. This feels like one of those games. They dominated the first half, they played about even after that, coasted to an easy win over the Grizzlies. Not the Golden Grizzlies, right, am, I They're just the Grizzlies.
Speaker 2: No, they are the Golden Grizzlies. You did missput that. You did miss miss state that they're the Golden Grizzlies.
Speaker 1: But also, like Oakland, you think California when you hear Oakland, and the golden term is kind of for California. So I assumed that that would not be associated with anything in hell has frozen over Michigan in this time of year. Yes, you know, it's apparently all right. Gold Why are they gold?
Speaker 2: I don't know, but they're about the furthest thing from the Golden State Warriors, except for when they play Kentucky in the first round of the NCAA Tournament. And that is just because to the Golden State Warriors.
Speaker 1: That was just because of that one dude who made what ten was it like ten of Yeah, Golki, Yeah, legend they have to retire as Jersey just for that win.
Speaker 2: Oh my gosh, yeah, one hundred percent. By the way, when I talked about David Koy's hairline, Golkies hairline committed like five felonies. Yeah. I don't know if you remember that. The guy had a forehead where you could put an entire Continental USA map across it. You still have room.
Speaker 1: I do remember that. Yeah, And which makes sense because he is at least forty five years old and married with three teammates I've seen, like I watched him play. There's no way he's twenty twenty something. That's just not possible. They're like, absolutely not. Tyane grand Foster is about to be twenty five years old. I'm struggling to find anyone who's older. And we on this show, by law, are not allowed to make jokes about that because our favorite basketball team employees the services of thirty six year old Hunter Dickinson.
Speaker 2: Yeah hundred Dickinson has been around for quite a while, some say since the Clinton administration.
Speaker 1: Still has a decent hairline, though, so he at least could keep getting away with. Kansas's best player was Store, which is not a sentence I expected to type, but it was. He was efficient, productive in all aspects in this game. He scored sixteen points off the bench in nineteen minutes, made a couple of threes, two of three from three, was seven for nine from the floor. Highly effective player. Are we starting to kind of see a four ish games end of this season? Maybe you're starting to see one of the most important pieces for Kansas get a little bit more comfortable.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I think so. I think it'll I think we'll know a little bit more, not necessarily when they play UNC Wilmington or whoever, but after the Duke game. I think that'll be a little bit more telling. I think he's just getting comfortable, to be honest, I mean, he looks more like he's playing within the flow of the offense. And if you remember back before the season started, Bill self basically admitted that he confused him with how he wanted him to play. So I think it's just a time even right, getting used to the system. Yeah, shout out to Bill. But yeah, he looked awesome. I will say this game was so boring that in our group chat, I I'm the most non observant person that's ever lived and at one point during this game, I said, hey, guys, I don't know if you know this. Currently in the Kansas lineup they're Jersey numbers one, two, three, and five and the only person to ruin that stretch was kJ Adams. So that's how exciting this game was.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and that's something that I always like. I feel like we never have that perfect I have noticed like times where it's been close, but as you said, I didn't realize it was that close because as despite how unobservant you are, and still notice that, I was even less observant because it can't put me to sleep. I think that I have the aj storrecomp and I'm curious if it's accurate. He's one of the most unique players that we've seen at Kansas. I think Kelly you Bray is the best name I can come up with. They're the same size, they both have similar slashing, slasher first kind of games. Neither one of them is that huge of a three point threat, but they're so much more effective whenever they can make one on occasion. And you know, in Ubery's case, he was a freshman that quickly got better and by around the Christmas time, Mark. He worked his way into the starting lineup and was an important piece. Store maybe on a similar trajectory. Is that the worst comp you've ever heard?
Speaker 2: No, definitely not. I think it's interesting. Actually, I think back to uber Becazubery actually had a really really good freshman season but was not a very forgettable team. Hopefully that's not the case for Aj Store. But no, I think you're right. I mean, both really good drivers of the ball. I think aj Storre has a higher ceiling for shooting the three than Kelly Ubery did as a freshman. I can't remember what his percentage looked like. I don't remember him hitting a high percentage. But honestly, out of all the crazy takes that I've heard you have, that's not bad.
Speaker 1: The Cowboys kicker just made a sixty four yard field goal and it cleared the net by like ten yards. Like do you remember when cackers used to suck like Caers couldn't make anything inside of fifty and now they're ridiculous.
Speaker 2: You know, it's a crazy life fact that I haven't shared on this podcast, and I'd have no reason to share it with on this podcast until now. I've had beverages. No I'm not a kick. I've had beverages, adult beverages with Cooper Rush's grandpa.
Speaker 1: Really. Okay, well, Cooper, he's he's playing right now. He's not a horrible backup through a horrible interception earlier. But you know he's hanging in there against the first place team.
Speaker 2: His grandpa's like eighty five and just slings old fashions like he's twenty four. It's amazing.
Speaker 1: Have you met Cooper Rush before?
Speaker 2: No, I actually played college golf with his brother though.
Speaker 1: Oh and there's a there's a personal foul on the kick. So he made a sixty four yard kick and they took it off the board because the guy tried to leap that.
Speaker 2: What's it? What's the NFL record for length? Now, well, sir, you.
Speaker 1: As a Lions fan, should remember it because it happened against your team. It was a sixty six year oldfield right at the horn by Travis Kelsey's bitch, Justin Tucker. That happened a couple of years ago.
Speaker 2: Oh yep, now I remember it.
Speaker 1: That was you know, the Lions. I've had a lot of yeah, yeah, yeah, that's exactly what I'm on. So okay, let's talk about the scoring difference here for Kansas, because through four games, the Jayhawks are plus seventy on their opponents. In the first half, they just race out of the gates North Carolina. I use a sound effect and it's betting. They just roll right out of the shoot and then they take a lot off in the second half, as they were a outscored by one in this game, which brings their season total to minus eighteen in the second half of games. Do you think that's a troubling trend or are we just seeing a four games size sample whatever.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I kind of think it's a non worry right now because in at least two of these games they were blowout so you have you know, obviously walk ons coming in and I kind of feel like, second half, you're up by I don't know, fifteen points, right like you're gonna be trying different lineup combinations, just a little bit more blacks. I will say, if Ku gets out to who can start against Duke and then blows the second half lead, maybe, but for right now, I'm not too worried. What are your thoughts?
Speaker 1: No, I think you're completely right. I think that the two blowouts were and also that's the way that this works more often than in the bye games. You have these masterful first halfs where they raced this huge lead, and then the second half they may be outscoring these teams by ten or twelve until the walk Ons go in and then a bad stretch there and it looks like they played even the whole half.
Speaker 2: That's not uncommon.
Speaker 1: The North Carolina stretch is the one that's bothering people. Michigan State they I think Kansas played better in the second half than they did in the first half in that game. Uh but and against North Carolina you saw the tar Heels start hitting shots and that's what's got people troubled. So no, I don't think it's a I don't think it's a concern. But several people on Twitter were talking about, how you know that this team gets a lot more in the second half. I don't know.
Speaker 2: It's It's not Kansas football. It's okay.
Speaker 1: Oh man, I didn't even think about that game.
Speaker 2: By the way, did you watch the Kansas BYU game? I did.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it was very late, which is that's music to my ears. Yep, the late night games. It was awesome and also like in a weird way, I almost was bitter watching the ending because it made you feel like what could have been?
Speaker 2: Right, Well, that team is so much better than the record, right, I mean that it has to be. This has to be the flukiest season of Kansas football of all time.
Speaker 1: Well, and in all likelihood, as fun as it would see them be to beat Colorado and then to go on the road at Baylor and win, it's probably less than fifty percent that you're winning both of those games, but for sure if they but I mean they obviously could, but assuming they don't, the thing that's going to just make people so sad is they were right there with UNLV in a winnable game and lost that. If you win the UNLV game, you're five and five right now, and you're almost definitely getting a bowl game because you're probably not getting swept in these last two games.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean at West Virginia too. I was at my dad's house watching the West Virginia game with him, and he didn't know that I allegedly put maybe some money on Kansas money and went live Sherlock and that lost. And he was like, why are you so upset? Don't worry about it. I just care about the steep well.
Speaker 1: And then k State. They outplayed him out there and looked like they were in position to go kick the winning field goal and fumbled. I mean, I'm trying to think what were the other ones too?
Speaker 2: There was another one Illinois was a brutal illinoy. Is that good either?
Speaker 1: Yeah? Yeah, they outplayed Illinois well and just had nothing to show for it. They've had five times this year where they've led in the fourth quarter and lost lost it Like they're eight and one if you count games over after fifty minutes. I mean, it truly is unbelievable. But yeah, I'm happy for him to see him beat BYU. I think you can argue it's the biggest win in the program since Mangino, beating a top six team on the road and uncompletely even though we knew that the BYU wasn't as good as their record indicated. But yeah, I think it was great and we'll see. You know, they have a lot of juice behind them going in the senior day. Devin Neil's Senior Day probably the last Jalen Daniels game at Arrowhead against the Colorado team that feels like they have a I don't know what's Colorado like three better than Kansas. That's that's not really accurate of the gap between those teams.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Colorado still has an outside shot, I would assume at the College Football Playoff. Correct me if I'm wrong there. Oh yeah, but I mean I don't think the talent gap is that much difference different between the two teams, So we'll see.
Speaker 1: I think it's funny how Colorado has the best two players in the Big twelve and everybody kind of talks about them like they're all right, like the six best tame.
Speaker 2: Yeah, their head coach also has like five toes, so it doesn't really.
Speaker 1: Matter there, go out, man, their head coach is going to do some very interesting things, as if he hasn't already. All right, tell me about Like I just kind of grouped all these these wings into the same paragraph. I feel like we've already done that a couple of times this year, but like they're just really I don't think is a whole lot with any of them.
Speaker 2: Do you think do you think this? And I kind of made this point during the game in the group chat. This team, to me feels like we're gonna have multiple guys averaging between ten to thirteen points and it might be one of the more balanced teams in terms of scoring. Do you agree with that? Take?
Speaker 1: Yeah? I do. I mean I think kJ, Zeke, AJ and Dewa and are all going to be in that kind of ten to thirteen range right out of the gate. And you have a couple of other options off the bench as well. All of these guys that you're about to read about have somewhat interchangeable stats. Through four games so far.
Speaker 2: This year, for sure, we saw Ryland Griffin make three first half threes he only missed one, finishing with eleven points and three assists in twenty minutes. Zeke Mayo had seven points and five rebounds in twenty six minutes. David Koit, whose hairline is back in the nineteen sixties, made three and nineteen minutes. Dewana Harris did not score, but was otherwise busy doing Dewan Harris things such as two points, six assists, four steals and a head band in twenty three minutes. Anything else to analyze here?
Speaker 1: Ryland Griffin is awesome. He ran like a Grady Dick sort of play where he was like falling out of balance on that catch and shoot right at the half just a terrific player. And I posted a gift of Andy Reid's smiling real big saying this Saturady Dewan Harris, with all these shooters to finally pass it to there were Dwan. Harris's assist numbers last year are so misleading because he should have had three more per game considering how many such he threw to people who just bricked threes This year, not so much. Griffin's the best shooter that they've had since Grady Dick. I said, originally since Fee and I one, I forgot about Grady Dick when I tweeted that two Grady Dick shot thirty two percent in Big twelve play. He was much better in the first half of the year than the second, which is I think plague due to an experience and Ryland Griffin is an upperclassman that I expect to shoot a lot better in Big twelve play than Grady Dick did. So uh yeah, I think Griffin's a monster. I love how we were kind of skeptical about wood Bill cell start him considering his best trait is shooting threes, and we didn't know how things like the defense would work out, and self has stuck with him and has started him regardless absolutely as the right move. He's one of the best shooters in the in the country.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and I also think the cool thing about Ryland Griffin is he can do more than shoot. He's actually pretty pretty good at driving to the lane. He's really good in transition as well. He's really he has a lot of length as well, so he's more than just a spot up shooter. He might be the best pro prospect on this team.
Speaker 1: I think he is the best prospect on this team. I don't I think. I mean, I think it's him and Floria Badonga. I think those are the two best ones. And as of right now, Griffin is the most likely I think of all of them to play in the pros. Yeah, koit, I don't really know what the role is gonna be there. I think he's gonna get minutes, and I think he's gonna play if he's effective, and if he's not, then so be it. Zeke Mayo continues to do things second game in a row. The shot wasn't falling. He had some good looks. They really weren't that close in the Michigan State game. A lot of them these a lot of them went in and out, but still is able to contribute with with other things in the on the stat report. I love how he and the One play together. They able to have the Frank Mason Devonte Graham kind of two point guardish offense that we saw him around that year. And Zeke is, for my money, the smartest player right there with the one Harris on this team. That helps. Just having a guy with vision like that, That's that's kind of my assessment of those guys. I think that Bill self's gonna have his hands full with mouths to feed, and it'll be up to him to figure out who exactly to play and how much. But I think they're all going to get a comfortable amount of minutes.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Agree. I also think David quite going back to his role. I think he's just gonna be more of a spark plug and there will be games where he's going to be very helpful. But again, I mean, this team is so deep, it's not a real pressing issue.
Speaker 1: Well, there's four games. We've only seen four games, but we know that Dewan, Zeke, rylan kJ and Hunter are gonna play a lot of minutes. They are at the front of the rotation. The next tier. You have David Quoit. I'll save him, I'll come back to him. You have Floria Badonga who's going to get regular minutes as the backup five. You have aj Store who appears to get plenty of minutes. That's seven guys. Then it gets a little bit interesting after that, Quit I think, is going to play. But you have Shaq Moore, who we saw for the first time, and people kind of forget that Shack Moore isn't just this like transfer that didn't play much. I mean, he was a starter on a Power five team last year in the SEC like he's a senior. He compliments Towan Harris real well, I think those guys are kind of vying for that eight and nine spot. And then after that you have Zach Clemens and Ricky's passmore at the at the ten and eleven guys, and you're just not going to see those guys very much. Is that an accurate assessment of their of their rotation at this point.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I think that's pretty spot on. I'd also like to point out the fact that on the last show I claimed that Zach Clemens would score five plus points in this game, and I encourage people I believed about on that or I said that I might, and I don't believe that he sniffed a point.
Speaker 1: Survey says correct, Yeah he had no points.
Speaker 2: Yeah, no, Yeah, I don't think the two three pointer bets gonna hit either.
Speaker 1: For the same you'd be surprised. He's gonna make at least one. It's gonna be out of nowhere.
Speaker 2: It's gonna be on like Senior night. Though.
Speaker 1: These these are big.
Speaker 2: She probably won't.
Speaker 1: This game is big coming up with the yeah, whoever the hell they're playing with the Seahawks or yeah, the Wilmington Seahawks. That and Furman this month. Those are big ones for your Zach Clemens and walk On that get you gotta get a couple in these next couple of games, because walk Ons did score in this game, but it wasn't Zach Clemens, who kind of doesn't count, okay the three pointers. Kansas has made more threes than their opponents in all four games this year. Two of them are by games, and two of them North Carolina counts, but they didn't shoot it real well in that game either. Michigan State Nobody could shoot in that game, so they haven't had the eleven for twenty three game yet where they have just burned someone from behind the arc. But eight for twenty in this game is good. Remember in their final twenty one games last year, they only made more threes in their opponent one time. Are you convinced that the three point shooting is I don't really care. If it's a strength, it just can't be a liability, and I don't think it is.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's definitely not gonna be a liability. I think they'll be at the minimum functional. They're going to have multiple games during Big twelve play just over the course of the season where they don't shoot it well, but they have so many other ways they can win games. And the team is so deep that if you have one or two guys that aren't making shots, you can sub someone else in and get some shots up and hopefully see some fall. I really don't think it's going to be an issue this season. Cue the music when they play in the Elite eight. Sure that will never burn me, But no, I actually really don't think it'll be an issue.
Speaker 1: Well, whenever you have Ryland Griffin and Zite Mayo, who are both career near forty percent shooters, that should give you a very high floor. And I know we said that about Timberlake last year, but last year they didn't have anybody besides timber Lake except for mccullor, who we kind of knew that would cool down, and then Timberlake, I think for who wasn't good Nick Timberlake didn't have a good season at Kansas, but he also had a lot of pressure to be the only one that could make threes on that team, and he just didn't do it. This year, there's a lot more people that can spread the ball around. There also is this guy who you know is not going to make any threes. Tell me about kJ Adams, because there's a few different ways we could take this.
Speaker 2: Yeah. kJ Adams, who I'd like to point out I actually do appreciate as a human being before my Twitter mentions get flooded by hateful comments, had twelve points, three rebounds, three assists in twenty four minutes. The game plan was clearly to get him involved, and they did. Bill self said he was a valuable, as valuable as any player they have ever had. His nose actually grew twelve inches when he said that. They're clearly trying to make this a thing. Are you sold.
Speaker 1: I mean Bill Self was talking about kJ Adams the way he talks about a player when he's aware that people are saying things on Twitter and questioning the role, and like, look, Kj's a great player. He's a very good basketball player. It's not that that we've questioned. It's the fact that we're concerned about the role and we're allowed to question that.
Speaker 2: Yeah, we have never said that we know more than Bill self because I would be the worst Power five basketball coach in history. I'd be worse than mister Neptune over at Villanova.
Speaker 1: Oh man, I would be be that the second worst maybe, but give yourself a little more credit than that.
Speaker 2: That's just right. I'd be worse in Roddy Terry. It doesn't matter. But you can have an opinion and say it. It doesn't mean we think that Bill Self sucks, although we do have a drop on the show for that oh.
Speaker 1: One exactly like that Will sucks.
Speaker 2: I missed that one. But no, kJ Adams is a really good player. But the role on this team is is it is kind of mind boggling at times.
Speaker 1: Well, and it's not just that. The thing that bugs me the most is when people act like it's an inevitability that Bill Self will get the best out of this team. Certainly he has the best chance of anybody involved. We think he's the best coach in the sport, at minimum one of the best. So you could do a lot worse than gambling on Bill Self figuring things out. But they make it sound like just because Bill Self says he's starting, that automatically means it's the correct answer. Bill Self has been wrong about stuff like this before.
Speaker 2: Bill self also claimed that Zach Clements was Wilt Chamberlain over the summer, so.
Speaker 1: Exactly, he said that Tyan Grant Foster was the best transfer he had ever gotten at that point in time. He misses things.
Speaker 2: Bobby Pettiford, that's right.
Speaker 1: I forgot about that he was for the one game speaking of Zach Clements and the misshot Yeah, that was Bobby Pettiford's Thanksgiving moment. But look, yep, with Bill Self, he's clearly giving kJ all the encouragement that he can. And my opinion, I might be wrong on this. I've had a lot more wrong opinions than Bill self. My opinion is that Bill self knows that kJ Adams in the starting lineup is not Kansas's best starting lineup. I think eventually you will see a change get made. I think eventually you will see aj Store start at the four just because I think Bill knows that a lot of people on Twitter think it. There's a good chance Bill self has thought about it and kJ. I mean, here's the stat through four games. kJ is one minute shy of leading the team total time played, and he has just twelve rebounds in those four games. That is two more than David Koit and is fourth on the team the starting Yeah, the starting four man cannot be fourth and rebounds by a huge amount too. It's like Hunter zeke uh and then floor and then a huge gap before there's just a logjam of guys. I don't know. You can love what kJ does. Obviously Self is his biggest fan. That doesn't necessarily mean he's just gonna give him the starting role for the entire season. If aj Store continues to play like this, you cannot take aj Store and you cannot not start him. If he continues to go up like this.
Speaker 2: Yeah, completely agree. And I also think that aj Store will have more performances like this, especially as he gets more comfortable, maybe into the early big twelve slate. But yeah, Bill Sophy, he's a Hall of Famer, He's won two titles. He knows what he's doing. I you have to think he knows that Aj Store provides more of an option for him, especially on this roster. I mean this team. He constructed this roster. I mean he went in the portal, he got Aj Storer, he got Ryland Griffin. I mean he did this himself. He knew what he was doing. So yeah, I fully expect that Aj Storre is gonna have more of a role going forward.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and like Store is a pivotal piece to this team, I think Store is better for Hunter Dickinson, who Bill self has played this team around. Like, yeah, I think eventually you're gonna see it because your fore man doesn't have to be a great rebounder. He doesn't have to be a great shooter, he doesn't have to be a great creator, or he doesn't have to be a great defender, all these things, but he can't be a liability. And as of right now, he is a total liability in a lot of these ways where you really need him to be better. And that's where I think you're Yeah, I think you're gonna see that too much get made eventually, I do.
Speaker 2: I mean that being said, if if Bill pulls a tom Izzo and puts aj Store on the bench and round of third two loss to Syracuse, you will never hear me again on this podcast because I will be in a straight jacket walked away in guanzanam obey for making terroristic threats. So just it can't happen.
Speaker 1: No, and hopefully it won't, but we'll see, well, we'll see at some point. I do not think that self, who is very loyal to his seniors. He is, to his credit, that's why guys love playing for him. But Bill self is not going to legitimately at least I don't think he will when a change if it becomes, and it's not yet, I it's not glaring yet. But if aj Store continues to play well and kJ Adams continues to not rebound, I don't think Bill self is just gonna watch as a glaring change that is kind of obvious that needs to be made won't happen. I think you'll see that switch.
Speaker 2: Agree, Hey, Ryan, can I give you a random game update from college basketball? Okay?
Speaker 1: Oh boy? I love this. I love these.
Speaker 2: Okay, so this is this is high quality podcasting, folks. So UMKC the ruse, they won a game.
Speaker 1: Sir, hold on on, whoa, whoa, whoa. If you scroll down to other games, I actually have, Oh you did. The very last thing in other games is a U And the tab that I have minimize right now is the box score of what umk C did tonight. Yes, we are absolutely gonna talk about what UMKC did and the powerhouse they played.
Speaker 2: Okay, never mind, I didn't research that. I got a text that came across the screen here from my body and I clicked on it and was like, that can't be real. So we'll say.
Speaker 1: That, Oh it's real. We'll talk all about it. Here's a hint. The team that UMKC played tonight scored fewer points than either of us are years old.
Speaker 2: Speaking of which, for the team that UMKC might have played, Zach Clements in this game was completely useless and shot over two, including one of the most unathletic attempts at a put back that I have ever seen, and I've spent a lot of times in time in YMCA jims.
Speaker 1: I am really not trying to just dunk on Zach Clemens, because I am I could not do it if.
Speaker 2: You asked me to, no, I couldn't. I couldn't either.
Speaker 1: But here's the thing with Zach Clemens. Oh my gosh, I think he might be the worst scholarship player I've seen play at Kansas, really, I and that's he's he's played for a couple of years like this is this is an experienced Zach Clements.
Speaker 2: Do you remember Matt Kleiman?
Speaker 1: I do, I do? The Red Rocket, the Red Rocket, the real Red Rocket.
Speaker 2: He was a lot better than Zach Lemons.
Speaker 1: He was a walk Yes, they've had walk Ons that are better than Zach Clemens. Clay Young was better, I must say. Eli Manning, Evan Manning was better. Speaking. Okay, you want to do a random take, here's mine. Eli Manning sucked.
Speaker 2: He kind of did. Actually, you know what, Ryan, that's not a crazy take. He had one season, I believe he had one season where he was elite.
Speaker 1: Yes, and he did, to his credit, beat Tom Brady twice with preposterously entertaining drives to win Super Bowls. But and sucks.
Speaker 2: Isn't fair.
Speaker 1: But I don't think he should be in the Hall of Fame. That's that's my.
Speaker 2: One of his leading wide receivers also shot himself in the leg.
Speaker 1: So yes, and and I was one of the many people that made my fantasy football team. Pleccidentally shot myself whenever I was like ten years old. I thought it was so didn't understand what exactly happened, like what was probably going to happen if he didn't shoot himself, he was probably going to shoot somebody else, Which.
Speaker 2: That's an amazing thing for it that is so ridiculous. Yeah.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Whenever sports are when sports are your first love as a kid, and the age of the Internet is becoming a thing, oh boy, you find out things that's awesome. You find out way more of your childhood heroes have a controversies and incidents segment on their Wikipedia page, and it just really changes everything. It's just a big deal.
Speaker 2: My favorite players to Shan Watson.
Speaker 1: Very very very steep airhorn out of that. Hunter Dickinson had ten points, nine rebounds, four blocks, and played twenty five minutes as expected, a little bit lesser of a stat line because they didn't need to use him as much. He was five for ten from the floor. Flori, but doing guys, he will do to these lesser opponents, just overwhelmed them in his limited time nine to four and fourteen minutes. As expected, the Kansas BIG's were just unmerciful to a helpless Oakland front court. Even Zach Clemens scored just kidding, we talked about that. Nope, he didn't. He went over too. Yeah, he couldn't even score against against Oakland. Not good, not great. And as you said, there were attempts. Attempts were made. They weren't good.
Speaker 2: There were there were. In other news, Shaq Moore made his season debut and had a bucket and an assist in five minutes, which was his limit per Bill self. Rickie's passmore had four points and nine minutes. Enjoy him in these last couple of games before he is exiled to Siberia, which may be where Landing is. The walk Ons got two points on the Trust and Cross bucket, bringing the total to five this year. Sidebar here Justin Cross. I feel like he's actually a decent basketball player, just from what I saw him late night in the fog. And yeah, the nice smooth jumper.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Justin Cross and Dylan will Hyde are the two that you want if you really have to pick a fighter in this battle. But yeah, justin cross and the name Noah Shelby is a thing. Is he redshirting?
Speaker 2: Because he was like a legit Shelby.
Speaker 1: He was like a legit player that is a walk Is he walking on here? According to Yeah, hey, he played at Rice, which I mean Rice is not gonna get mixed up with Duke. But whenever you play in every game for Rice, an average about five points a game. Like that's better than the walk Ons.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I Noah Shelby sounds like a guy that gets invited to a West Virginian family reunion. I don't think he's a high quality basketball player, but I will say I did play Rice in the college football earlier. I won forty nine to seven in an online versus game, so I'm not convinced this real school.
Speaker 1: Very nice And also I assume that means that your record is now better than the average tom Izzo season.
Speaker 2: It's it's right on pace.
Speaker 1: According to Twitter, Noah Shelby is hurt. That's why he hasn't been playing. He is indeed a walk on, which is which is quite interesting. I didn't know.
Speaker 2: Yeah he would didn't either.
Speaker 1: That's that now we know if you look up Noah Shelby kub ball on on Twitter, you will find out that nobody has tweeted those three words together is June fifth, So it's a lot of x accounts out there are not a single one of them.
Speaker 2: It's such a rabid fan based where people are actually tweeting at any point time about Noah Shelby.
Speaker 1: That's true. Yeah, well the internet. You know how the Internet works, and you know how people have a whole lot of nothing to do sometimes just like yes, because we watch this game, Kansas fifty seven percent from the four, forty percent from three, and then you had fifty four percent free throw mark, which isn't great, but there were it was only like like six for eleven or something like that, and only eight turnovers overall. It was fine, like like they played well and.
Speaker 2: And yeah, pretty nondescript good game.
Speaker 1: And can we normally we stopped the recording to pause for our halftime update after this, but let's keep it going for a part two of Kansas recap because there's a little bit more that's that's come out. I realize we haven't talked about it. We don't have to say much about it, but it is worth noting.
Speaker 2: Yeah, play cash register. Oh woof play cash register? Cha ching dot Jeff sound Bill self with his elite I can't believe you have a drop for that. I didn't know you had a drop for that.
Speaker 1: I was just being I have everything. Wow, you know, you know everything about ITV and you've never heard the drop. That's the that's the that's the John Kellow drop.
Speaker 2: It is, But I guess I hadn't heard it in so long. I just was being sarcastic because Bill self was buddies with TJ gasnolet. But speaking of which, Bill self cannot stop scoring elite recruits. Darren Peterson ranked number three, Bryson Tiller not the rapper, number twenty and twenty year old dual sport athlete Ms Calderon. I think are all signed. Yeah, pretty amazing.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Bill self has had that. You know, I was kind of thinking the other day he's kind of in the golden years of coaching. We saw he's around the age that Roy Williams was when he started winning titles. He's around the age that coach k was when he won three in like a ten year SPURTU And you saw Jay Wright whenever he entered his sixties. That was whenever he won his two and four years. Like overall, it's he's at the point now where he's patient, he's experienced ever, he's he's undoubtedly a Hall of Famer, and now it's just like just doing this for fun, no pressure. He's got his second ring. He's the winningest coach in the history of the school. Scam is adding tom Izzo is seven hundred and forty five years old and is not in a golden year because he's in his just not good years. We'll talk about tom Izzo, by the way, who is going the That is interesting. He's the He's the anti to this point really is about how all the coaches get better with age. Yeah, Bill self is just on fun. I think a lot of coaches flat out hate the Portal. We hear him all complain about it. I think Bill self likes it. He said he was on a ten the other day and he's like, are you kidding me? I hate whenever I have to go recruit for a kid that's four years away from graduating, But Portal I can go out and get a kid that's immediately within the next week looking to go somewhere. I love that he has like he has embraced this new era of college basketball, and I think titles will follow.
Speaker 2: I completely agree. And actually, for all of the crazy takes you've had over the years on the show, one that sticks out to me that I think is correct is you talked about and this is probably several seasons back, but you mentioned, you know, Bill Solf has been on the wrong end of some luck in the NCAA tournament from shifting back to the VCU loss Northern Iowa Oregon Elite eight. At some point the pendulum is gonna swing towards good fortune. On top of the fact that he is getting these recruits, he's adapting to the nil era. He's not lazy like a Tom Izzo who doesn't want to go into the portal. Yeah. I think he's entering the prime of his career, which is pretty amazing seeing he's what.
Speaker 1: Sixty yeah, sixty two or something like that.
Speaker 2: I sixty two, yeah, yeah, and his hair is still forty five.
Speaker 1: Well, his hair is fake. I I I'm definitely that was a big Yeah. Allegedly it's true on that one because there was a scratch wherever you were either team to pay or team not.
Speaker 2: I am it's a rug. It's one hundred percent fake.
Speaker 1: It looks good, it's a good look at it, as you'd expect when you have money like him, but it's it's definitely a rug. I would I would if I was in Bill Self's position, I would have a rug too.
Speaker 2: And I think I think one of the biggest assets to Bill's self and it's something that I, along with many fans, criticized him over along. You know, early in his career was he was not willing to adapt. He was super stubborn Bill Self. You stubborn?
Speaker 1: Yeah, all right, I got that one. That's an easy one. That's that's right at the top of the Board's.
Speaker 2: Bill Self's stubborn ass. Yeah, and he's actually been willing to adapt. I mean, the nil era is a lot different than prior times in college basketball. Tom Izzo, on the other hand, does not want to get people from the portal because he believes they need before your players. And it has not translated to a title since two thousand.
Speaker 1: So yeah, the thing with Bill Self, you know, I always did feel like that the luck would turn itself around, and it's not guaranteed, but the statistics show over the course of time if you keep getting ones and twos in the NCAA tournament, you're eventually going to win titles. And we saw a little bit of that luck flip back around in twenty twenty two when he got to play an eight seed in the title. Remember we always were like, he always gets the juggernauts and doesn't get a lot of scheduling breaks. He's played a one to one and a two in his three final fours before that, and then he gets to go out there and plays against the eight seed. You get a little bit of a break a team that probably shouldn't have been there, and they want it, like, maybe you see that happen again going forth Bill's self. I think as long as he continues to recruit at the top of his game, which he is, I think he's actually better as a recruiter now than he's ever been because of the portal. Yes, wins will follow, and I think his career was really out of crossroads a year and a half ago. Whenever he unexpectedly had to bow out of coaching. Probably cost that team a couple more wins that year without their coach, And we didn't know at that point he had had a serious heart condition. It could have Nobody here would have been necessarily stunned if he had said, I'm the doctors told me with the way I coach my style, it's just not good for me, I'm gonna walk away, and nobody would have criticized that. Instead, you see a healthier, looking, different demeanor Bill self that clearly said no, I do want to coach longer than I originally thought. I'm gonna make the changes to do what I need to do. You reference the changes with his style, and I'm referencing the changes with his health. You're seeing the combine those things combined to just make a I think it's him and Bobby Hurley, or it's him and Dan Hurley considered the best two sport coaches in the sport by a decent clip.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Absolutely. He's also spending a lot less time at the Salty Iguana. Yeah, you have seen his stature.
Speaker 1: So oh and now also because the salty iguanas are closing everywhere, sir, the one in Johnson County.
Speaker 2: They really knows.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it is really sad. I'm this It's still going on at Lawrence because brilliant handy he goes and does hot talk every single week, which boy is the equivalent of listening to for an hour straight. At least he doesn't read his poems. As for the actual players that Self has signed here, Peterson is the best high school player they have signed since Josh Jackson. It will likely be in the Jackson and Wiggins trio for the best three high school scorers. Self has had do it all kind of combo guard. He's a top five recruit, bluest of the blue chips that you can get in this class. He is going to be a lottery pick it all likelihood after his one season at Kansas, he will be a lot of fun. I predict right now for we're going to get this out on the very first time we talk about Darren Peterson. He breaks Andrew Wiggins freshman scoring record. He's going to score lot It's what he does naturally. Bryson Tiller is a guy who was in the top ten and is now a Friend's top twenty prospect, but still a power forward, a six to nine guys. They're obviously going to lose kJ and Hunter after this season, so you're gonna have to restock your bigs. Tiller is exactly who you want a long athletic, a hybrid four man who can shoot a little bit but is also a bruising physical force of the basket. And then Calderon, I don't know a lot about you mentioned he's twenty. They asked Bill self about that. Could you use his experiences? Like, it's not gonna matter because the guys don't stay long enough to really take advantage of that now. And he wants to play football here too, as Camus pointy out, hopefully doesn't get CTE from dealing with Lance Leipold in practice every day. But you gotta figure a guy that's playing football. I would assume he's a bruising enough body to be able to help with the physicality that Bill self demands from some of his rotations.
Speaker 2: Yeah, exciting times for Kansas. Get to see Bill self getting high rank for players. I'm very curious to see how the dual sport athlete aspect will work out for Calderon and if he'll continue to do that past his freshman year.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it never really the guys really don't stick with that, Like it's.
Speaker 2: Something I feel like that never pans out.
Speaker 1: No, a lot of people try it and and then they they come to the camp or they come to school and they realize, Oh, it's just not as straightforward you mentioned. I don't know how they do one sport and keep up with it.
Speaker 2: College athletics are so strenuous even if you're playing one sport. I mean, you're traveling all the time, you're it's insane.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it is. They do an amazing job and excited to see this next group. They already have a top three recruiting class. Maybe they add one more. We talked about how next year's team is going to lose a lot. Dwan, Harris, Hunter, Dickinson, kJ Adams, who else is for sure gone? Shack Moore's for sure gone. I think Ryland Griffin and aj Store are the two that could come back for a fourth year if they want, but neither one.
Speaker 2: Of them they could, but they want to go, I believe, right.
Speaker 1: Yeah, maybe you get Flory back if he doesn't do oh, Zeke Mayo is also done after this year. So they're losing and David koits gone. They're losing a lot after this year. I mean, what at this point you're looking at Peterson, Tiller and Flory probably being starters, and you need a point guard and you need to I guess Ricky's passmore. Maybe you'll be involved at that point. Le Baron who was in h what what was that dude's name that left for Alabama? Le Baron filla On Laon or something. He was Alabama's leading scorer in the game in Purdue the other night. So he's playing. We'll be nice to have him. But with the portal these days, I'm sure they'll look for a high, high end point guard. I don't know. We'll enjoy this team before we start worry about next year. But yeah, Bill self good, here's the rap for Relf And now we get to finally talk about those hilarious other games Big twelve games. I'm actually like, we actually have some Big twelve games this week. A recap eight was a recap for the Big twelve. The week in general was very very bad, very bad and good, not good, terrible, sad, sad Lossy's lots of sad, sad losses. So just to recap, Arizona lost by double digits to Wisconsin.
Speaker 2: Kansas States.
Speaker 1: Yeah, except for in this game when they just became the freaking globetrotters for forty minutes.
Speaker 2: Kansas State.
Speaker 1: Kansas State lost by double digits to LSU. TCU lost by dogs. He did, We'll talk all about Coleman Hawkins. TCU lost to your Michigan Like, does that make you proud to be from Michigan?
Speaker 2: No, I can, okay, Michigan. Michigan basketball died to me in a spring day in twenty thirteen when Trey Burke decided to shoot from the county line and I had to listen to that. You know what, I don't think I actually think that was worse than dealing with Michigan State fans throughout my childhood. That moment was horrible. I had to hear about. I still hear about that, yeah, to this day. And they didn't even win a title that year.
Speaker 1: That was a big time because oh yeah, that that game was that, that game was over, That game was over over.
Speaker 2: Was it was it Elijah Johnson that punched Mitch Bagarium the nuts?
Speaker 1: Yep, yeah, if they would have ejected him, Kansas wins that game.
Speaker 2: Yeah. And then there was a moving screen on the tree Burke shop that wasn't called but no one wants to talk about that, but I do.
Speaker 1: Big time movie screen on that one. Yeah, and so many misfree throws, so many miss Bunnies. Yeah, but Michigan just like to beat Kansas. They beat TCU, and shockingly it was by yep, double digits. West Virginia, our favorite West Virginia shoot me on the forehead, lost by you guess, did double digits to Pittsburgh, who's at the Powerhouse.
Speaker 2: That's a rivalry game, by the way.
Speaker 1: It is, and they never win it. And every year West Virginia loses the pitt And I gets on the podcast and I say, up, looks like they're gonna suck this year. And then whenever Bill goes up there, the final horn sounds and you hear over the last.
Speaker 2: Last year sent me into like a three day spiral of depression.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that was bad. That was the moment. There was a moment every year where we go, oh, they just might not be as good as we thought they were gonna be. And that was the moment that year.
Speaker 2: No, no, Ryan, It's completely normal to lose to an interim coach at West Virginia, and when they have five scholarship players.
Speaker 1: That's what happened.
Speaker 2: Yep.
Speaker 1: And Oklahoma State the only game last year that Kansas won on the road. I believe in Big twelve play right, wasn't that they're only Big twelve roads? Yeah? Yeah, they and that game they Oklahoma State is not good and they only beat Eastern Illinois at home by seven points.
Speaker 2: That is atrocious.
Speaker 1: Yeah, we might have some problems. We might have some problems and the Big twelve, but it'll still cannibalize each other. Here come a few more weeks.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and our buddies down the road at Kansas State were blown out at home by LSU as an eight point favorite, losing seventy six to sixty five. As old friend Cam Carter, who is now a foe after the game and mid game scored twenty points for the Tigers. Coleman Hawkins, who Kansas State decided to give five acres of farmland a million dollars and a lifetime subscription to esp In the magazine, committed felony assault on Cam Carter by elbowing him and starting a little pushing and shoving as the team's jogged off the court. Amazingly, Ryan's favorite people. The refs called that and off a foul on Cam Carter, which I don't know how that's possible. I watched this like ten times. There is no way that that is a foul on Camp Carter.
Speaker 1: They don't know anything. They're so bad.
Speaker 2: Coleman Hawkins got a running start, you know how, like a ghosts back up before they like rammed things that Colan Hawkins like backed up and ran into Camp Carter like a like a ram and a cartsoon and the reps are like blocking foul going the other way.
Speaker 1: That's exactly what happened and not a good look for Hawkins. And and you know, you'll remember the whole thing that happened with Nakuon Tomlin last year, which about being at an off the court domestic situation and Jerome Tang was real big saying no, he's not gonna play. We don't have tolerance for bad character here at canas crazy faith whenever this happens. And Coleman Hawkins three games into your season, just gets pissed and decides he's gonna as you said, kind of charging ram going back into somebody like I don't know why you do that. I think you should be suspended. He won't be, but I think you should be.
Speaker 2: They call the free safety blitz and Coleman Hawkins charged the a gap.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and it's it's interesting, you know Kansas State needs little bit of They definitely and for my money, need a little bit of attitude. They need some flare on that team. Well, well, Coleman Hawkins will give it to you. It just may not be that kind of flare.
Speaker 2: I don't think Coleman Hawkins is a really good basketball player. But I Kansas State fans have harped on Kansas for giving Hunter Dinkinson like two million dollars of an eyele money. I think they did something similar with Coleman Hawkins. And Coleman Hawkins is now the statiscal leader and felony assaults in the Big Twelve. Hunter Dickinson doesn't have one yet, Josh Jackson had several. Carlton Bragg made a nice dent in the stat sheet there as well. But yeah, Coleman Hawkins not a great investment so far.
Speaker 1: No, definitely not. As I'm watching the I have the Monday night football game on and it's a three score game with three minutes left, and the refs are just going crazy. There are five damn flags on the field. They're showing the field where there were just the Texans and the Cowboys had a little pushing and shoving after the play there are five handkerchiefs on the field. There are five officials NFL game, and they all have one flag. So every single one of these worthless individuals yeaeded their flag onto the field on the same way. How how how how how.
Speaker 2: How how And I don't know there was a there was a I feel like there has to be flags being thrown just because Dalla shouldn't be allowed to play football.
Speaker 1: Yeah, they're on their way to losing their fifth home game and five tries by at least three scores or something like that. Truly unbelievable. There's just there's just escorting people off the field. There's ejections everywhere and all of it, and off sets. Of course, refs are out of control, especially the ones that yeah called Coleman Hawkins. That called Colemanhawkins is on as a benefit of cap.
Speaker 2: It was so crazy.
Speaker 1: B YU beat Idaho on Saturday in basketball, and I believe I'll have to check, but surely that was the most noteworthy thing involving BYU athletics on Saturday.
Speaker 2: Night, right, Yeah, I was waiting for a drop.
Speaker 1: Yeah that's Tuesday.
Speaker 2: All forty thousand BYU students who were in attendance had to clutch onto their diet cokes as they watch their BYU Cougars lose to the Kansas Jayhawks and football because they're not allowed to have fun at BYU.
Speaker 1: Yep, it is. It is a really really hard selling point for just about anything BYU related. I don't know how they managed to do what they do every single time like they because they they always do have competitive athletic programs. Despite I would think for sure it being pretty hard to draw the people. Anybody who wants to go to college and you know, have like wild parties and you know, do things that college kids do. Only at BYU you cannot do those things.
Speaker 2: Correct. Arizona State took down Grand Canyon by eleven at home our takeaway at the official inside the Paint takeaway, here is a time on Grant Foster's still playing for the Lopes. He will be twenty five years old before selection Sunday this year. This is his twenty seventh year of college, which makes him only four hundred and seventy eight years younger than Tom Izzo.
Speaker 1: Yeah that's true. Yeah, they've been in they've been They've done this for about the same amount of time. If we're being totally honest. I can't believe Tian grand Foster is still here. What was that? You had two juco years, a year at Kansas where he was a junior, five years against US.
Speaker 2: I can't even remember it was five years against twenty nineteen.
Speaker 1: It was twenty twenty twenty one, So four years ago he was a junior, where usually that means you have one year left. He was a junior four years ago and then transferred out of Kansas, went to DePaul, had a medical red shirt. Then the next year went to what then we're in the twenty two to twenty three went to Grand Canyon, utilized this COVID red shirt. Last year utilized his actual junior year because he was now getting a fifth year, a fourth year junior. And then this year is I believe finally and it's impossible. I didn't know it was.
Speaker 2: It was.
Speaker 1: It was a real thing. But yeap not an entertaining week for the Big twelve, but still won. That happened other games. The best matchup of the week went down in East Lafayette as number thirteen Perdue scored a great win against number two Alabama eighty seven to seventy eight. Zach Edy replacement Trey Kaufman Wren, who's the new big man on campus, scored twenty six points and helped the boiler Makers pull away down the stretch almost at Arizona. We'll talk about them too. Alabama is still one of the best teams in college basketball and they undoubtedly will be just fine. However, really nice win for Purdue. They are better than I thought they'd be as they retool post Zach Edy.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Zach Edy've ruined basketball. And good good pick up there for Ryan on pick him Wisconsin taking down number nine Arizona at all them one hundred and three to eighty eight in a game that had an unbelievable, inconceivable, impossible sixty three fouls in eighty seven free throw attempts. Oh my, eighty seven free throw attempts is only one less attempt from the floor than Caleb Love had, But yeah, that should be impossible.
Speaker 1: Seriously, I want to know, statistically, how many when the last time we had a regulation basketball game that had those numbers? Those are all mad numbers like that is unbelievable. How do we not start firing refs immediately? How whoever is in charge of reviewing official performances. How the hell are they not looking at this saying, oh my gosh, what an outlier? What happened to your guys? Seriously? And I don't care. I had people on Twitter that were saying, well, maybe the team should stop failing. Don't call this many. This isn't good for anybody. It's not good for anybody to do this.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean, if you ask a West Virginia fan, this happens every time they play at Allen Field House. But other than that, yeah, this should never happen. So frustrating.
Speaker 1: As for the game itself, the Wildcats got really unlucky. I still think of the better team. They just got blitz craigs By normally slog fest Wisconsin offense blow up for twelve threes and one hundred and three points, keyd By forty one from someone named John Tanye. Probably we'll go with that.
Speaker 2: Sure.
Speaker 1: Caleb Love was two for thirteen from the floor. They've actually put a microphone on the rim and it was just all night. He just kept yeating shots and none of them went in the basket.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Caleb Love did his part for Habitat for Humanity, building a village with all of his bricks. Other noteworthy results, Number fifteen Marquette here to prove that they totally won't lose to a seed five spots worse than them come this year's tournament. Shout out to Shaka Smart got a nice road win at Maryland seventy eight to seventy four. Also number twenty Florida one at Florida State and number twenty three Texas. A and M rolled twenty one Ohio State by fourteen at home. Because Ryan Day sucks massive.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I don't think I have a balls drop, but I can say this, maybe that, maybeah accounts. All right, we'll go with that. Speaking of sucking ass, Tom is as Michigan State Spartans trailed Bowling Green for most of the night in East Lansing, only to end the game on a seventeen to nothing run and wind up winning by fourteen two touchdowns. For those keeping track at home, Bowling Green did not score for the final almost eight minutes. I don't know how it's possible. I've never seen that happen in a game. I've never seen a close game where than one team. It's a one possession game for eighty percent of it, and then one team just doesn't score a point for the last eight minutes.
Speaker 2: Yeah, the last eight minutes suppost to have come in March. I don't know.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that was that was really really rough.
Speaker 2: The worst record in a power league belongs to Kyle Neptune's insert missus puff oh Neptune dot jiff Villanova Wildcasts as they are two and three after losing to Virginia in the worst matchup in the history of sports? How on earth did he get a job?
Speaker 1: Wasn't there a tournament a couple of years ago, or it was a handful of years ago at this point where Villanova and Virginia was like a super sexy matchup, and now it is just anything but Kyle Aptune getting a job. Great question. You got to stop hiring those assistants. It never works.
Speaker 2: Yeah, terrible hire.
Speaker 1: Tell me you can. I'll let you take this next one, because then I have the UMKC nosub.
Speaker 2: All Right, The next time that we find ourselves wondering what the worst program in the country is other than Missouri, we need to remember that. On a Thursday night in November, the Mississippi Valley State Delta Devils. That's a mouthful. There lost one hundred and eleven to thirty nine to a terrible Missouri team. This team was one in thirty last year and they are one and two this year. You will never guess who they beat.
Speaker 1: So I want to see how much you remember here this. I looked this up and actually made an audible gasp because I couldn't believe this team came back around. It is a team we've talked about on the show before. They have the most hilarious name of any university we've ever dealt with, and they beat They are the one victory for this horrendous Mississippi Valley State team at plays came as a state this week. Shout out to Jerome Tank for scheduling tough. Uh do you know and and and do you know who this team is? We've talked about them several times on the show. One of the biggest jokes. Even their name doesn't make any sense.
Speaker 2: No, I was just gonna say Bishop Psychamore, but I don't know.
Speaker 1: They are the the one win for Mississippi Valley State. Delta Devils is the Mississippi university for women's men's basketball.
Speaker 2: Oh my gosh, I forgot about that. Yeah, yeah, I would not have gotten met.
Speaker 1: That is the one that's they're dub that's amazing, They're like thirty five last year's And then there's wins right back to the sixties. And then there's this which sent basketball back to the sixties. You and case who is a D one team. They obviously play in the Summit League. They have They're a competent basketball team, certainly not Juggernaut, but they are a Division I program. They went out and played a game tonight on Tuesday night, Monday night. Shout out to a couple of people on Twitter were actually hagged me in this in this statu let me let me make sure I get the name right now.
Speaker 2: That's how you know this game was bad.
Speaker 1: Yes, whenever people want rock chalk blogs.
Speaker 2: Take on it like Ryan Landreth needs to see this.
Speaker 1: Yep. Shout out to at the Wheel Reel two, who is the same person that made me think that Doug McDaniel dropped out of smoke because he was stupid that guy. That guy pointed out and once our thoughts on should this game count? Kansas City played not D one, not D two, not D three, but National Christian College Association D two Naia School Calvary the other night or tonight and the final score of that game cam But you know what the final score of this game was.
Speaker 2: I can't remember off the top of my head. It was a lot too little.
Speaker 1: It was one hundred and nineteen to nineteen.
Speaker 2: You know what. In their in their defense, Ken Pomb will love that game.
Speaker 1: Ken Bom, well, like, that'll look really good in the metrics.
Speaker 2: It is unbelievable Reynald to come in with the facial expression of Viagra boner pills and give them a one seed.
Speaker 1: In case you want to know what a box scorer looks like. For a team that scored nineteen points in forty minutes, seven for fifty from the floor is an apocalyptic fourteen percent. They did somehow make five threes, which leaves two for thirty or two for twenty one on twos, and then you had an unbelievable zero Sero zilch free throws. They did not make a free throws.
Speaker 2: Clearly the refs were against them.
Speaker 1: They did assist on eighty three percent of their baskets though six assists on seven shots.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so whenever we give those questions that are like, hey, how do you think you guys would do playing against the college basketball team. I think we forget that these teams exist.
Speaker 1: Yeah, UMKC can go out there and do this, then then UMKC would beat us by this margin problem.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, probably more impossible.
Speaker 1: And also, the leading scorer in this game, where Calvary had thirty four turnovers to seven baskets, their leading scorer was someone named Nathan yule Riches with four. Their leading scorer had four points.
Speaker 2: He gets all the chicks at that school for sure.
Speaker 1: Never seen it, and they love him because he made two baskets. I believe the only person in the entire roster that made multiple shots in this game. Truly unbelievable.
Speaker 2: They they play the game that James Nate Smith envisioned.
Speaker 1: To answer your question, the wheel reel two. No, this game should not count. This is a joke. There are jokes, and then there's this, like, what what is the point of scheduling this team? What does this do for you?
Speaker 2: I think, honestly, I don't. I'm assuming they just couldn't find anyone to put in their schedule at that point.
Speaker 1: I kind of think that it makes more sense at that point to just not play anyone scrimmage the White team put on like like not not that kind of white team like white and blue jerseys like Scrimma.
Speaker 2: You can go back with the sixties.
Speaker 1: And on that note, ask rock shock boy. Oh no, we have to do ranked teams to lose. Since the last show, there are three. Number two Alabama lost the good game to Purdue.
Speaker 2: Number nine Arizona, The Fighting Caleb Loves lost to Wisconsin.
Speaker 1: Fighting Caleb loves. The only thing Caleb Love fights is making shots. At number twenty State, Yeah, that's true. Number twenty one Ohio State lost to Texas A and M. That is your ranked team to lose since last show. I had like a sixty point lead in fantasy football and loss because it was going into Joe Mixon and whoever the hell the defense was that played Cooper Rush. Next time you see his grandpa. Next time you see his grandpa, tell him that his grandson sucks.
Speaker 2: Yeah, shout outs to Bill Bailey. I'm sure he listens, but.
Speaker 1: At Dick Underscore Taser listens and he asks he does. I'm a Bears fan, Oh, friends, is my friend is a Jets fan? Oh? We've decided there is no meaning life and are likely moving to North Korea to find a less painful existence, but we need an objective opinion. Who does the public perceive as currently and historically more pitiful Jets or Bears. It's hashtag fire eber flows.
Speaker 2: It's in my mind it's the Jets. And I'll go back to one reason. Hear the butt fumble. That's what it came to my mind right away. Yeah, the Bears had to run. They had Mike Ditka fill in the blank because I can't remember anything else.
Speaker 1: Jim McMahon, right, Jim McMahon, really cool, won a Super Bowl behind Singletary and and and Ditka and all those guys, and my William the refrigerator Perry, as I believe this day, the only defensive player that scored a rushing touchdown in a Super Bowl. I think, yeah, that was a long time ago, forty years Okay, So in my head they're kind of equal. They both have one Super Bowl that happened as just a random o in an otherwise completely irrelevant sixty plus years in my lifetime. I'm twenty nine. The Jets currently have the longest playoff drought, but the Bears have been the worst team in my lifetime. The Jets had a few good seasons under Rex Ryan and there I feel like I watched them in primetime more so, I feel like they've they've been better than the Bears. But the Bears, I think have the brighter future. I don't know if Caleb Williams is gonna amount to a lot, but you at least have to be excited with him for at least a couple of years unless it just doesn't go well. My vote more currently pitiful, the Jets, more historically pitiful, probably the Bears. I think. I don't know.
Speaker 2: I trust Ryan's take on this because he remembers every single sporting event that's ever happened. Also, I do remember Chad Pennington from my childhood. I remember watching him playing for the Jets at one point I believe so yeah, he was pretty good.
Speaker 1: He was good for a little bit back before you really needed a more than a game manager. There have been a couple times where the Bears have almost made the Super Bowl in my lifetime. They almost made it the year the Packers did and Jay Cutler got a booboo and pulled himself out of the game that didn't go great, and then they almost Then they were really good. A couple of years under Matt Naggy before jinking every field goal off the crossbar. Speaking of you know what, you know what, mister Wayne Kerr, I'll tell you what. I'll fix all the Bears problems. You want to fire Matt Everfluce, that's fine. Kansas City Chiefs, right, they're a juggernaut. They win all these Super Bowls. You know who you want for their next head coach for your Chicago Bears. How about the one the only Matt Naggy offensive coordinator of the Kansas City Chiefs. I'm telling you you cannot go wrong there, No sir.
Speaker 2: Reebob should hire Brian Borland.
Speaker 1: Just anybody. At this point, I would hire myself over Matt Naggy, And I don't know if that's fair or not. Wayne Kerr probably cares not to hear me complain about the Chiefs not winning in sexy enough fashion enough whenever you know you're a Bears fan, I get it.
Speaker 2: I get it.
Speaker 1: At show me Hawk with a trio of questions. Here, tell me I'm wrong. The new Circus font isn't bad. I actually prefer the Trajan font.
Speaker 2: M I really, I'm a big Circus font fan.
Speaker 1: I like it, but I don't think it looks right. I don't know. I think the letters need to be bigger, Like you know, they made baseball jerseys, like the names on the jerseys are too small now kind of feel like that's what they're doing with the circus font here.
Speaker 2: I can see that a little bit. I'm just such a I'm such a socker for circus spunt in general.
Speaker 1: Yeah, circus font does look good, But I'm with you. I didn't hate the Trajan as much as everybody else did, just because I thought it looked kind of cool. That's how I grew up watching Kansas. They were seven years I was like seven or eight years old whenever they switched into the Trajan font, and that's been the way it is for most of my time watching. But I do like the Circus fund. I like how the court is has a circus fund. It looks more old school. I'm gonna be in Allen Fieldhouse for the first time this year, so I'm excited to check it out, see the upgrades and whatnot. But from what I've seen on TV, they've gone all in with the circus fund. Like the script all over the place is circus fund.
Speaker 2: Yeah, make sure you get some ice cream from the updated concourse.
Speaker 1: I will I'll report back on that. Shell Me Hawk also says Bucky McMillan needs to take the soon to be open Villanova job and renew the Kansas of Villanova rivalry for twenty six and beyond. I agree those two teams should be playing more. I think Kansas should be playing all these big teams, though not right now, because playing Villanova would not be any more entertaining than playing.
Speaker 2: You and C. Wilmington, Bugs, Buddy, No, dut Jeff and.
Speaker 1: The last one here. Is it too early to list the Chiefs offensive coordinator candidates? Yeah, probably a little too early. They are nine and one. Matt Naggey's gonna get a job somewhere, and then maybe Patrick Mahomes will be able to throw the ball more than three yards down the field per play. That'll happen. Happened at some point.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I don't care about the Chiefs, So.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Cam rank, you're super ranked the sports you care the most about to the least about.
Speaker 2: The most, I would say college basketball number one two. I think it's as up between college football and the NFL. It used to be more and more college football. Now the Lions are relevance it's more fun. I care a lot about golf because that's my profession, but I don't really watch it anymore because I get bored of it. So I would I would say, that's like the top three and a half. Then the NBA come playoff times a little bit a little bit more fun to me, So yeah, that'd be that'd be it.
Speaker 1: Baseball, man, See, I love baseball. I love baseball now that they've made changes and made the game shorter. I like having a baseball game on in the background. I can't sit down and watch every pitch, right, you can't hang on pitch by Yeah, it's just too much. But I like having one on and it's a warmer weather. Sport. College basketball has been the most consistently good to me in my life being Kansas fan. I think the NFL is a sport I know the most about, but also uh and the NBA. If we ever get an NBA team in Kansas City, then that's gonna that'll that'll that better.
Speaker 2: You guys should have one.
Speaker 1: I mean, I think Kansas basketball is kind of what's hurt at like Kansas basketball probably the following of of what an NBA team would.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I feel like Kansas City's good market for it, though. I mean, we have the Pistons and they're not existing now, so yeah, I.
Speaker 1: Mean you have teams like I guess Memphis is probably a little bigger than I think, but you have yeah, Detroit and who are some of the other Utah has.
Speaker 2: An NBA team like Utah is crazy.
Speaker 1: I mean Kansas City with mahomes, bringing all these businesses, and I mean he got Whataburger here, he got a freaking women's soccer stadium here, the Royals, his ownership of the Royal. Eventually, I think you're gonna see an NBA and a w NBA team here. I care more about an NHL team I have basketball. Really would love to have an NHL team here. That'd be so fun.
Speaker 2: I didn't know you like hockey.
Speaker 1: I don't really like hockey. I don't really watch it very much. But if you put one, yeah, then I think it'd be real fun to get into you. That's kind of plenty in the time of year where, uh, the other sports aren't going as strong. Yeah, I think it'd be a lot of fun. We really don't talk at all about hockey here in Kansas City. There's just really no need to. But yeah, but if you put one in there, I think they would. Are you like you with Detroit? Detroit's gotta up to Troit c hockey team.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Michigan's a huge hockey state. I wasn't into hockey as a kid. I never played, so it was never really my thing. I actually went to a Red Wings game last year for the first time, which was really fun. But no, it's it's something I think we'd take for grainted up here.
Speaker 1: As for the rest of these questions here at eliot usent h a non ish basketball question. Which conferences are wall conferences make college sports what they are? If they were all actually to say screw the NCAA, would we see all teams, no conferences? Would we see just four or six big conferences? How do you think it would work.
Speaker 2: I think it's I think it's a couple big conferences and then you'll have you know, like the lesser D one schools and kind of like subdivisions.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I think you'd see it become like thirty to thirty five team super leagues that would say, oh, the NCAA is gone, We're gonna be the new boss. Then you'd have the SEC and their tournament there. If you have a conference get big enough where it's like the size of the whole NFL or the size of the whole, you know, NBA, then I think you're just gonna see like our thirty two teams will be in its own postseason tournament and that's it. There wouldn't be an NCAA tournament.
Speaker 2: Yeah, And for what it's worth, I hope that doesn't happen. For as much as the NCAA sucks, I don't think that would be good for like college sports in general. I think it kind of ruin everything.
Speaker 1: Yeah, they really need more than that, like they I don't know if I want to see. It would be very nice to see the NCAA piss off forever in a lot of ways. But then whenever you think about what the fallout would be, there are other things.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it'd be like not having a Super Bowl and just having like the winner of the NFC and the AFC that is like the national title. Like, yeah, that's what it would equate to me, And I think that would just ruin it.
Speaker 1: I think you're headed down the shoot of that though. I think why at some point you're gonna have a big ten Champ versus an SEC Champ and a Super Bowl sort of event.
Speaker 2: Yeah. That that that probably will happen, and Chris Reynolds will make all the decisions.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and that'll be interesting to see how Kansas will still be winning Big twelve titles when there's sixty teams in the conference at that point. We'll see how that goes. At olheart Casey. If someone cursed you and told you that you can only blink one hundred more times and then you die, what would you do?
Speaker 2: Oh, I have been an answer to this. I read this earlier and I thought about it for like five minutes. I would actually invest all my money and eye drops.
Speaker 1: You have a very limited amount of time to do this, though, like by the.
Speaker 2: Time you went, Yeah, I would use my I'd use my insider stock trading, and I would invest in eye Drops.
Speaker 1: There you go, But could you could they come? Could they get to your door before you blink one hundred times?
Speaker 2: If you know the right people and you have Amazon Prime.
Speaker 1: Yes, Okay, let's see here. How frequently do you blink?
Speaker 2: I mean, the realistic answer is you except you're gonna die. I think that's the answer.
Speaker 1: Yeah, And Google says on average, most people blink fourteen to twenty times a minute, so you got about five to seven minutes to figure whatever you need out.
Speaker 2: That's enough time to watch the last five minutes of the National title game and go out on a bang.
Speaker 1: You better hope that you don't get something in your eye and you burn through twenty five blinks in three seconds, and oh dude, then it's over at that point, very quickly. Good question. I love, I love just just utterly impossible, unfeasible questions like that. That's what makes the show what it is. At the Wheel Reel too, Oh boy, thoughts on K football being two and oh and K State football being oh and two since Donald Trump got reelected, Well, we do have a we do have a Trump Trump drop on this show right now. So I mean, clearly that was the K football won't move until well ever, if I mean, we'll see, yeah, we'll see. We'll see what happens next. That's funny. At Bentley Hunt fifteen, do we really think the Big twelve might be easier than we thought this year? Yeah?
Speaker 2: We need this every year.
Speaker 1: Every year we do this.
Speaker 2: It's it's gonna be a good league. I don't know for what it's worth I think the Big ten kind of sucks, though.
Speaker 1: It does suck. The Big ten sucks most years, but the Big ten definitely sucks right now. All right, So here's the thing on the Big twelve. Will it be less deep than we thought it would? Maybe the twelfth best team might not actually be vying for an NCAA tournament Berth. I'm not willing to say that yet, but that might be true. There's you could you there's a sliver of a chance that's correct. But does that mean necessarily that if the top nine teams are your tournament teams, that the conference is therefore quote easier than if the ten, eleven, and twelve best teams are still there. No, it doesn't. Because the top four or five teams are still top fifteen squads nationally, which it doesn't even matter what everybody else does. That makes it by default as tough of a league as any.
Speaker 2: Yeah, still better than the Mountain West.
Speaker 1: At Mayo Zeke if Zach Clemens plays against Yuyoka as a bouquet and neither as a bouquet is not allowed to shoot from more than fifteen feet and they played a twenty one Wait a minute, Okay, hold on, I'm assuming. I'm assuming that the question is as a bouquet is not allowed to shoot from less than fifteen feet, right, Yes, okay, so he has to take j's and Zach Clemens can do what he wants. How long does the game last? A long time? A very long time.
Speaker 2: I read this question at the gym and I almost picked up the dum dumbbells that I was using to throw them across the room trying to think about this.
Speaker 1: I think that I have to think Zach Clemens would get to twenty one before Doak makes what would that be? Twelve jumpers?
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's just I mean, yeah, fifteen. That might be one of the best hypotheticals that I've ever been asked, and it's the most just infuriating scenario to think about.
Speaker 1: Okay, well, since you're into hypotheticals, here's one that you've heard no doubt but have never answered. If you put Lebron James on the hundred best team in college basketball, would they go undefeated? No? Yeah, I don't think so either. How good would that team have to be before you'd say yes?
Speaker 2: I think it have to be like a fringe NCAA tournament team. Like a team that can gets a.
Speaker 1: You put Lebron James on TCU, do they go undefeated?
Speaker 2: I don't think they do.
Speaker 1: Honestly, you gotta be better than that. Like, like, I don't know. You put them on Michigan State, do they go undefeated?
Speaker 2: I still don't think they do. I think I think you have to maybe a top twenty five team.
Speaker 1: Okay, yeah, I'm with you, because you're gonna have a game. Have you watched college refs? You're gonna have a game where Lebron James has three fouls in the first ten minutes. Yeah, and Bill self exiles him until the second half as a result, as all coaches do. Uh No, I don't think they win them all. I think they're they're the huge favorite to win the whole thing, But I don't think they win them all.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and I still I don't think they win it all. Even with Lebron. That really pans out really so if I well, think about like Duke with Zion. Okay, but that's different.
Speaker 1: But Okay, So who's the fifteenth best team right now? Marquette? We put Lebron James on Marquette, and I tell you them are the field to win the whole thing.
Speaker 2: Well, Shaka smart sucks so much that he would try to turn Lebron into a post player.
Speaker 1: It don't matter Lebron is the coach at that point.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I don't know. I mean, I just I it's so much bigger than one player. I get. I get that he's arguably the best player of all time. But he's still gonna have a game where he gets in a foul trouble and then at that point the other teams. I don't know. I don't think it's a guaranteed.
Speaker 1: I think he's smart enough to just flat out not foul. I think he just knows what to do in that case.
Speaker 2: I don't know.
Speaker 1: I think that that team, I think definitely a top fifteen team is winning at all with him. Definitely TC probably top favorite. All right, Well that I'm curious what everybody else thinks on that one. And then the last one is just a comment from at pers Presst and Skurstic do not have a question, Just wanting to say your willingness to answer all questions is always appreciated. You guys bring valuable insight and perspective to the discussions that are always great to hear. As always looking forward to the next episode. Presspreciated Press then actually typed that from the concussion word of whatever hospital is in the town, that he either that or he's listening to a different podcast with this valuable insight that you speak of. I'm not sure where that's coming from.
Speaker 2: He's he's in cell Block D of Guantanamo Bay where they forced him to type out something on Twitter.
Speaker 1: Man, at that point, if you're there inside the paint would just be a ray of sunshine. Then I don't know how to go at that point. Very much appreciated Press. Then comments like that make it feel all the worthwhile, and you can always count on us for both a little bit of insight and a whole lot of nonsense, just like we think this next game will bring. As always, if you ever have asked Arcb's texting the land and at nine to one three, I'll maybe his phone number off in the next show, Yeah, that'd be really you think it's dis Yeah, that would be really fun.
Speaker 2: I don't think it would.
Speaker 1: I don't think it would.
Speaker 2: I think Lana would get like twenty text messages and be like, I think I found a woman.
Speaker 1: That'd be really fun. Like if I had any guts. I would do that, but you know you and C Wilmington at number one Kansas on Tuesday, November the nineteenth, seven o'clock and it's back on ESPN plus everybody's.
Speaker 2: Favorite Lance Sprinks. Oh when Wayne simeon.
Speaker 1: Lance Lance Blanks. You've said Lance Briggs Banks, And speaking of the Bears, Lance Briggs was a very good linebacker for the Bears. That's where you're getting that.
Speaker 2: I thought it was no joke. I thought it was Brinks, like a Brinks truck.
Speaker 1: No, it is Lance. It is Lance. What I just say Now, I'm all mixed up?
Speaker 2: It's Blanks? You're you're right, it is Blanks.
Speaker 1: But had didn't he die?
Speaker 2: Like?
Speaker 1: Yeah, he's he died last May? What? Yeah, I know.
Speaker 2: I feel like a horrible person.
Speaker 1: Now.
Speaker 2: I didn't know that.
Speaker 1: Nick told me that, and I was shipped yes at right now. And he also scored three hundred points in his NBA career. I didn't know that either. I didn't know he played for the Detroit Pistons.
Speaker 2: How the hell did you not know this? Oh my gosh, she did die? I feel terrible now?
Speaker 1: How did he die? Oh? He died? Okay, I'm now reading about how that happened. I didn't know that a CTE. That's very sad. He was not a good announcer. But obviously there's a lot more to life than that. So there are plenty of uh phil in the fill in the no pun intended blank who.
Speaker 2: I was just gonna say, Bill Walton, he died too. I'm down.
Speaker 1: They're all it's too bad. It's it's because it's it's the ones that you don't want it to happen that it does.
Speaker 2: Welcome to inside the obituary, with cam Lippole and Rylanders quickly.
Speaker 1: Audibling out of that. The u n C Wilmington Seahawks, great name of the CAAA, are three and zero. They enter with wins over Georgia, Southern South Carolina, Upstate, and a Division two team. Safe to say they're gonna get their biggest test thus far.
Speaker 2: Yeah. The Seahawks backcourt is led by point guard Joshua Corbin and two guard Downovan Neuby. Both are shooting forty percent from three so far the season, with Nuby is one of the Coastal Athletic one of the Coastal Athletics best players with twenty three points in almost a sixty percent shooting mark thus far this year.
Speaker 1: It's really hard to know if he's really that good or if they're just kicking the crap out of these bad teams, but yes, numbers good through three games. There isn't a lot of height to talk about with the Seahawks, but the front court is led by Kamari McGriff, who plays the five. He is six ' nine, so Hunter Dickinson will have a height advantage here, probably not an athletic one. He averages thirteen and six, but figures to score sixty in this game because he's playing against Dickinson, who is college basketball's worst defender in the history of the Earth. Noah Ross, Elijah Jamison, and McCoy Maper are the other names to note on UNC Wilmington's roster.
Speaker 2: Through three games, the Seahawks rank first nationally and free throws, free throw attempts, and points per game. Their pace has been very high, but the quality of competition likely has quite a bit to do with that. They also have great rebounding numbers because their awful opponents are missing so many shots. Similar to the UMKC game that we alluded to earlier, there's very little takeaway from their Yeah, there's very little takeaway from their numbers. So we'll just have to see what happens on Tuesday night.
Speaker 1: And these teams have never played. This is their first matchup. College Basketball Reference is usually quite good to me with the information in the past, and whenever you search on the Kansas history page and it says no results found, that's how you know they've never played. UNC Wilmington has made a couple of NCAA tournaments recently, though, Bill self's really good at figuring out these mid majors that Kansas should beat by fifteen to twenty points. But at the end of the year, when this team's a thirteen seed, they can be like, hey, Kansas beat another tournament team. They always like they're very strategic with their opponents. They choose here, but we don't know. I'm gonna say this game is more high scoring because the numbers say it will Kansas ninety eight, UNC Wilmington seventy four.
Speaker 2: Okay, give me Kansas eighty nine. UNC Wilmington's seventy five.
Speaker 1: And Landon says seventy nine sixty seven thinks it'll be a little bit closer than the two of us, which very well could be. This is a team that's played They played Virginia really close a couple of years ago in the NCAA Tournament. They've they've been in big games, their coach has been in big games. So I don't think they're the type of team that's just going to melt in the loudness of Allen Fieldhouse. But also they're playing the number one team in the country and are likely to be a pretty significant underdog. I'm trying to see if there is any sort of spread posted on this game, because Kansas was probably Kansas was a thirty point favorite against Oakland and did not cover. And Kansas was a twenty seven point favorite against Howard and did Looking at the schedule for tomorrow.
Speaker 2: And I guess, and it's like twenty four ish.
Speaker 1: Yep, Kansas by twenty three is the Is this?
Speaker 2: Wow? So there we go.
Speaker 1: Which side are you betting on, sir?
Speaker 2: I don't. I hopefully will not bet on that, hopefully.
Speaker 1: Also, Wisconsin beat Wisconsin beat ut Rio Grande Valley by three points at home tonight, So yeesh, Alabama not the best?
Speaker 2: Look, Yeah, Caleb Love is really good?
Speaker 1: All right? Other games pick up.
Speaker 2: It's a good week.
Speaker 1: Of basketball. Kansas will not play again until they play the Blue Devils in Vegas next week. But there's a there's a pretty good game every single night this week that that's worth watching. Beginning on Tuesday night, going on Wall, Kansas plays number six per Due. They're in the top ten. They hit the road to play number fifteen Marquette and a game between two teams that won big games last week. I will take the Golden Eagles at home.
Speaker 2: Yeah, actually I will too. Give me, give me more cuet.
Speaker 1: I think Purdue is better than we thought they would be in landon things they win. However, I don't know if they're the number six team in the country and they're not gonna win all these these tough non conference games. Kudos to Matt Paynter for scheduling tough though. Take notes. Take notes, John Shire number twenty five Illinois at number eight Alabama. I think this is a blowout. I think the Crimson Tide get back on track.
Speaker 2: Yeah, bounce back game for Bama.
Speaker 1: Number thirteen Baylor goes on the road. They play number twenty two Saint John's. You know what, give me the fighting Rick Patinos, Yeah, give.
Speaker 2: Me the Rick Patinos with slick back hair and a little upset win.
Speaker 1: Rick Patino beat his son's new Mexico team last week, and now I think he beats Scott Drew though, another one that's gotten really good at coaching scheduling tough. Scott Drew a plus. And this a rematch of the game that Arizona won at Cameron last year to announce as themselves as a player early in the season. Return game being played on a big twelve court, number twelve Duke at number seventeen Arizona Duke. Actually all jokes aside does have a pretty tough non conference schedule, and I think one of my favorite things to do in college basketball usually when it's the same season, but it's not this time. I'm still gonna go with it. Whenever a good basketball team loses at home to another good basketball team, the real high quality ones go on the road in the rematch and get their revenge. I think Duke wins on the road in Tucson and takes down the Wildcats.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I was just I was gonna say a little bounce back game for Duke.
Speaker 1: Give me Duke, it'll be a good's That's a great slate, though, Remember whenever the whole first month of the season used to be just terrible, and now there's good games for a lot of these schools except for.
Speaker 2: Iowa State and you and Casey.
Speaker 1: Yeah, well unless you think Calvary Is it's gonna be their year. So Cam, you and I will be back on the next the next show, it's just you and I again, probably coming out early next week. We will preview the Duke game, and then we should get Landing back as a Thanksgiving present if we choose to withdraw our firing decision. All results are not always final on this podcast. I'll have to check with the HR office. But yeah, one more, one more two person show and hopefully, uh, you know you. You're off to an undefeated start on this show ever since you you picked up the co host Kansas four and oh how long will that last?
Speaker 2: Oh? I hopefully if through Duke, don't hold your breath.
Speaker 1: That'd be nice. This is the Inside the Paint podcast on Rock Chalk Blog.
Speaker 2: I'm Ryan Lantern and I'm Cam Lippole.
Speaker 1: We'll be back next week.
Speaker 2: Until then, behave bye Landing.