Speaker 1: You're listening to KFI AM six forty wake Up Call with me Amy King on demand on the iHeartRadio.
Speaker 2: App JFI Radio. This is Mission Control Houston. Please call station for a voice check.
Speaker 3: Station.
Speaker 4: This is Amy King with kfi's wake up Call. How do you hear me?
Speaker 2: I can hear you loud and clear.
Speaker 5: And it's time for your morning wake up call.
Speaker 6: And his name is Amy King.
Speaker 7: Here's Amy King.
Speaker 5: This is not.
Speaker 4: It is five oh one on your Friday morning make up call. It's January seventeenth. Good morning, I'm Amy King. We're live everywhere on the iHeartRadio app and so happy that you're starting your day with us. Today. The winds are calm, the weather's cool, and we hear that some people are being allowed back into their neighborhoods. Schools are about to reopen in Pasadena. Still a long, long journey ahead, but you know, we take these little these little winds and embrace them. We need them right now. And you just heard the intro when we talked to the International Space Station. Our buddy Nickay got to go and do a space walk yesterday with Sonny Williams. She's one of the astronauts who was supposed to be up on the space station for a week, but she's been there for like nine months, so they said, I think she needs to go out for a walk. So they did some repairs to the space station yesterday. I think it was about six hours long. It's pretty cool. If you want to check it out, you can look on the NASA app. And then I think Sonny and Butcher are both going out again to do some more repairs next week. Here's what's ahead on wake up call this Friday morning. Firefighters have taken advantage of the lighter winds and cool temperatures to continue to dig lines around the fires in Pacific Palisades and Altadena Palisades fire is twenty seven percent surrounded, the Eton fires fifty five percent surrounded. Some evacuation orders for both fires are being lifted. Negotiators for Israel and Hamas have signed a cease fire and hostage deal. Several outlets say the deal was signed today in Qatar by officials from Israel, Hamas, the US, and Katari officials. Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyah, who released a statement saying the families of the hostages have been informed of the agreements. The clock is ticking down on TikTok. We're going to find out if the clock is really going to run out with ABC's Steven Portnoy. That's coming up in just a couple of minutes. Also, even though the flames are being tamed, the fires aren't out. We're going to find out how the firefighters are doing and get an update with Cow Fires Captain cal Her. That's coming up at five point twenty. At five point thirty five, the House Whisper and the host of Home on KFI, Dean Sharp. It's going to help us sort out the fact from the fiction when it comes to fire hardening your home. So lots ahead, and we hope you'll stick around with us for the whole five o'clock hour, and then of course stick around at six oh five because we got handle on the news coming up. Let's get started with some of the stories coming out of the KFI twenty four hour newsroom. More evacuation orders have been lifted on the outskirts of the fire that started near Altadena and Pasadena. Fire and Eaton Canyon is burdened more than fourteen thousand acres and is fifty five percent surrounded, official say firefighters have been putting out hot spots and reinforcing lines, focusing on the steep terrain near Winter's Creek along the northern side of the fire. More than seven thousand homes and other buildings have been damaged or destroyed, and urban search and rescue teams have completed more than eighty eight hundred inspections. At least seventeen deaths have been confirmed. Evacuation orders have been lifted for several neighborhoods impacted by the fire that started in Pacific Palisades. People are allowed back yesterday as the winds died down and the fire is twenty seven percent surrounded. This guy says he was relieved to find out his home is still standing.
Speaker 6: We are so incredibly grateful that we have homeless and there's no electricity.
Speaker 7: Who cares the water might not be perfect?
Speaker 8: Who cares there might be stuff in the air?
Speaker 7: Who cares?
Speaker 3: We have our homes.
Speaker 4: The evacuation orders lifted yesterday affect more than eleven thousand people in Pacific Palisades In Malibu. Authority say others might need to wait at least a week before they can return to their neighborhoods. If you want to get an updated list of the evacuation areas. You can find it at Recovery dot La County dot gov. The FEDS have issued warnings about fake donations for fire victims.
Speaker 9: FBI says scammers exploit mass casualty events and disasters that includes the wildfires in La Inventora Counties. Officials say the fraudulent activity may come off as disaster relief agencies collecting personal info or conducting charitable schemes against disaster assistance programs. They may even pose as official entities or celebrities. People are encouraged to do their own research before donating, and for those that want to donate to fire victims, they can go to the California Department of Justice website, where an online search tool can verify an organization's legitimacy. Andrew Caravella kay if I News.
Speaker 4: One of the real donation locations is dream Center La. iHeartMedia has teamed up with Dream Center to take donations of food and money which are so desperate need, desperately needed. We're going to let you know where and when you can donate, coming up in just a couple of minutes. But dream Center La that is one of the legitimate places to donate your food and supplies and money to help the fire victims. Let's say good morning now to ABC's Stephen Portnoy. Stephen, the clock is ticking down on a TikTok ban can and will the clock be stopped?
Speaker 5: I know we're going to find out out. Look at ten o'clock this morning, the Supreme Court is going to meet to deliver at least one or more opinion, at least one opinion, maybe more than one. We don't know it's going to be the TikTok case, but there's a great deal of speculation that it will be, because the Court almost never meets on Fridays to deliver opinions at this part of the term. And the thinking is a week after it heard oral argument, aware of Sunday's deadline, we'll hear from the court about this case. We don't know what the Court's going to do. It could say sorry, TikTok, time's up, or you know, it could grant the extension that President elect Trump has asked the Court to grant. And there's a great deal of speculation, but what's going to happen next? Because you know, there've been reports this week that TikTok will proactively shut the platform down and put up a message say sorry, folks, call your member of Congress. There's also the thought that maybe President elect Trump will issue some sort of executive order that seeks to delay the enforcement of this law to give more time for the app to be sold. But let me explain, having spent a lot of time reading the text of this law, it is dense. But leave it to your expert here to do this. The law says a one time ninety day extension can only be granted if there's a sale already in the works and the papers have been signed. There is no such sale in the works, no papers have been drafted, and so this idea that the president, under the text of the law can grant an extension is far afield. But maybe there's a way. I don't know how the president can issue an executive order that says, never mind what the law says, we're going to do something different. I don't know how that works. I've never quite seen it before, so we'll find out. But there's an intensive, aggressive lobbying effort that TikTok is employing right now. There's going to be a party here in this Town on Sunday that's being hosted by TikTok to celebrate Donald Trump's inauguration. Kelly and Conway has been hired by the company as one of its lobbyists. You've got the CEO of TikTok being invited to sit in the way down in front next to America's elected leaders and other VIP's at the inauguration. And President Elect Trump has posted on social media just how much more popular he is on that app than, for example, Taylor Swift, Beyonce, Kamala Harris. Why he asks what he seek to ban TikTok. And there's a bit of buyer's remorse here because people are suddenly realizing in Washington they may have painted themselves into a corner and has given how popular TikTok is. But let's see what happens next. Congress has spoken, we may hear from the Supreme Court today, and I've never seen a president with the wave of his hand decide that he's not going to enforce the law that Congress has passed. But maybe Congress will make another choice. We'll have to see what happens.
Speaker 4: Well, and I saw something on a couple of the news outlets last night that President Biden said that he wouldn't enforce the Banny. Well, he's in office for.
Speaker 5: Don't listen, don't read too much into that. I'll be very brief. Sunday is Sunday, right, Monday is a federal holiday. The way this law works is the Justice Department is to go to federal court and seek a civil penalty of up to five thousand dollars per user. With the Biden administration's telling us is they're not going to do that on Sunday or Monday's federal holiday, which means it's up to Donald Trump's Justice Department to enforce the law. That's a function of the time and the dates, not any kind of policy matter.
Speaker 4: Okay, and ten o'clock Supreme Court, We'll be watching you, bet ABC. Stephen Portnoy, thank you so much. Have a great weekend.
Speaker 3: You got it.
Speaker 4: Let's get back to some of the stories coming out of the KFI twenty four hour newsroom. The Israeli security cabinet has voted to approve a ceasefire and hostage release deal. The full cabinet still has to vote on it. That's expected later today. Officials from Israel Hamas the US and Katar signed the agreement in Doha today. A siaf Hussein of the food aid group SKT Welfare says aid trucks are ready to move in when the deal is signed.
Speaker 6: We have trucks lined up near the Jordanian border ready to go in.
Speaker 7: Only last week high volunteers go over from the UK huck food parcels.
Speaker 4: As many as six hundred trucks per day could be allowed into the Gaza Strip once the ceasefire and hostage deal goes into effect. Two American hostages are expected to be released in the first phase of the Israel Hamas cesfire deal. The first phase we'll see the release of civilians, children, the elderly and wounded hostages, and it would be expected to go into effect on Sunday Most.
Speaker 8: Ten nine eight, seven, six five four three.
Speaker 4: SpaceX's Starship Rocket has been destroyed in a launch in Texas. The spacecraft's six engines appeared to shut down one by one yesterday with contact loss just about nine minutes into the flight. SpaceX called the failure a rapid unscheduled disassembly. The spacecraft was carrying ten dummy satellites to practice releasing them. A minute before the craft broke up, SpaceX used the launch tower's giant mechanical arm to catch the returning booster. SpaceX founder Elon Musk later posted video of the falling debris on X, saying success is uncertain, but entertainment is guaranteed. President Biden says Republican led states did a poor job handling their economies during the COVID nineteen pandemic.
Speaker 10: Red states really screwed up in terms of the way they handle their economy and the way they handle manufacturing, the way they handle access to supply chains.
Speaker 4: Biden told MSNBC, Democrats could have done better selling their accomplishments to voters.
Speaker 10: I almost spent too much time on the policy, not enough time on the politics.
Speaker 4: Biden also says his administration invested more federal dollars into Red States than Democrat led states. One of the coolest theme songs, the director of Twin Peaks and the Original Dune in nineteen eighty four Or has died. David Lynch's family announced his death on Facebook, saying there's a big hole in the world now that Lynch is no longer with us. Lynch announced last year that he'd been diagnosed with emphysema and couldn't direct anymore. But then after that followed up and said, nah, he wasn't going to stop working. He's also known for directing Eraserhead, Blue Velvet, and Mulholland Drive, which got him an Oscar nomination for Best Director in two thousand and one. David Lynch was seventy eight. So Anthony Blinken held a press conference at the State Department yesterday to give an update on the Israel Hamas ceasefire agreement. As you may recall, it was kind of moving along, and then Benjamin Netanyah who said they hit a snag. They said Hamas was renegging on parts of the agreement, so they held this press agreement. Of this press availability, Blincoln didn't give much of an update except to say that they expected it would go into effect on Sunday. Well, what was interesting about the briefing was the disrupt during the briefing. One of the journalists was, we'll just say hell bent on disrupting the briefing. He interrupted Blincoln for a couple of minutes early on in the press briefing, and then a few minutes later he did it again.
Speaker 7: Finally, I just wanted to shore this morning.
Speaker 11: Get your hands off me, Get your hands off me, Get your hands off me. Answer a damn question.
Speaker 4: I look forward to answering questions in a few minutes.
Speaker 11: You know, not as real sniped their weapons. Everybody from the ic jank. I was sitting here quietly, and now I think they handled by two or three people. You're in pontificate about a free press. You pontificate about a free press.
Speaker 6: You're hurting me.
Speaker 8: You're hurting me, you are hurting me.
Speaker 11: I have been asking questions after being total Please Matt Miller that he will not answer my questions.
Speaker 2: That's how I ask.
Speaker 12: Please, sir, respect the brief, respect the process.
Speaker 4: We'll have an opportunity to take questions in a few minutes.
Speaker 11: What's at the point of the Yeah, hey, the nay thirty first statements have blocked the ICJ orders.
Speaker 7: He blocked the ICJ orders. Please sir, respect the process. Thank you, respect the process.
Speaker 11: Respective process. Well, everybody everybody from the from Anthony Internationals. But answer Internationals the ice of day saying that as well as doing tenniside an extermination and you're telling me to respect the process.
Speaker 4: Criminals, why aren't you.
Speaker 9: In the Hey, why aren't you with the Hey, why aren't you.
Speaker 4: With the He pretty interesting to watch, and then they literally carried him out. In this instance, I would say I I agreed with them removing him because Blincoln did say, Hey, we're going to take questions at the end, and he kept interrupting, and he probably could have answered or asked his questions at the end when he was done. I mean, I don't like to see free speech squelched. And this guy is a journalist you kind of have to be to get into the State Department. But it was I think it stole the thunder of everything else that happened during that press briefing yesterday. Thirty one people are still missing in the Palisades and Eaten fire zones. Twelve people who were missing have been found safe. Thirteen others have been found dead in homes and buildings destroyed in the fires. The number of people who've been killed in both fires remains at twenty seven. The ATF says it has one hundred and fifty leads into the cause of the fire in the Pacific Palisades. Acting Special Agent in charge of LA's Field Division, Jose Medina, says the leads have come from homeowners, witnesses and videos submitted to investigators. Several flights near the Turks and Caicos Islands in the Caribbean had to be diverted or delayed because of debris falling from a SpaceX Starship. The Starship rocket broke up in the atmosphere last night about nine minutes after launching from Texas. At least eight flights to New York's JFK and to Atlanta were impacted. Let's say good morning now to CalFire Captain Kelliher. Captain Kelleher hasn't had much sleep in the last ten days. So now that the flames have been tamed and the skies have cleared, people are thinking that the fires are out, but they're not. So I wanted to talk to you so we can understand what work still needs to be done. So can you tell us as we work to get containment of these fires, what exactly does that mean.
Speaker 3: So, what we're trying to do is have a line all the way around the fire that is in from the burn line, where it's clear and there are no hot spots all the way around the fire. It's like a fuel break where there's no active fires. There's no smoldering, there's nothing. So that's what we're working on right now. And you know, this fire is at twenty three seven hundred and thirteen acres and we did make a little more progress at twenty two percent containment, and overnight that fire stayed within that footprint. So that's great news right there.
Speaker 4: Yeah, it actually hasn't grown for a couple of days.
Speaker 3: Right that. Yeah, we've we've done our We've done our job. As far as those air assets in the sky have really done an incredible job, you know, painting the hill with the fire retardant and pre treating those hillsides out in front of the fire. They really wanted to make sure they got ahead of that before the winds kicked out the night four and that really helped dramatically. And so yeah, the strategies and tactics are working to keep this fire from going anywhere. They're in there with the hand crews and the doser teams and the real hard, kind of heavy arduous work in there, just you know, getting in those areas and making sure there are no hotspots with the hose and there'll be a lot of work because this is such a large fire right.
Speaker 4: And what about the helicopters. Are those still being used.
Speaker 3: As of right now? Not at the moment. Because there is no active flame, that doesn't mean that a fire isn't smoldering, but that really is about the ground crews doing their job.
Speaker 4: Okay, so that was going to be my next question, Captain Kellerher You said there's no active flame, but there are hot spots and what's defined as a hot spot.
Speaker 3: So remember so few moistures are critically low, and our vegetation is extremely dry and receptive to you know fire, a lot that burns. You've got these you know, huge and massive trees and shrubs and things like that, and something can smolder in that mulch and still be hot. And you know that's that's the thing that we've got to make sure we turn everything over when as you look out you'll see something smoking, just a light smoke or just a low ember though those are all the things that they're going in there, turning all that over, getting it down deep, getting water on it, so it doesn't have the potential should a wind kick back up, should anything else like that happen. That's what that means.
Speaker 4: Okay, And how do you find the hotspots just looking at them, or do you have material.
Speaker 3: Boat Yeah, a little of both. You know, when you walk in there, you can see it, especially in the morning. You can see those little smoldering, little little smoke little columns are small like you know, but you can see them. But then on top of that, we do have our our drone team out there and they're doing infrared shots so they can also see It's like, hey, we got we've got a hot area over here. There's a spot, and so they'll radio that down to the trees that are on the ground and they'll go get.
Speaker 4: It, okay. And then do we have any kind of idea when you might have the fire surrounded or contained.
Speaker 3: I don't have that number. You can kind of look at pass fires and kind of march out the timeline and some of these big fires when the weather cooperates and stays the way that the weather is right now, which is in totally our favor. But actually I don't have that timeline. But you know, they're working as hard as fast as We've got crews on the ground that are refreshed, they're fresh in today, Spirits are high, morale is up. Everybody knows the mission and they're doing an incredible job.
Speaker 4: Any parting words for anyone who's listening, because I know that we are still mesmerized by this tragedy and just so thankful for all the work that you guys are doing.
Speaker 3: You can let your listeners know we just couldn't be more touched by the outpouring of support, not only for the firefighters, because we've been here all hours of the day and night, and things keep showing up at the right time when we need it. But we're well taken care of now. I feel like we've got what we need and the focus should really be on the residents that have lost everything. And we're grateful for the generous spirit of everybody.
Speaker 4: It's been heartbreaking and heartwarming at the same time and a beautiful thing to see.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's crazy, right, but thank you guys for all your support. We really appreciate it.
Speaker 4: All right, thank you Captain Kellerher. Isn't that funny they're thanking us? Yeah, what an amazing job they're doing. But I wanted to get that information from Captain Kellerher because you know, you're not clear on exactly what is containment, what is a hot spot? And I think just knowing that helps me and helps you make sense of it a little bit. Good news that we've got some of the evacuation orders lifted. And if you want to know if your neighborhood is part of that, or a friend's neighborhood is part of that, it's at recovery dot La County dot gov. They've got a list of all the evacuation zones. The Pasadena School District will slowly be reopening it's schools. Teacher Dereena abdes Samad says, very emotional.
Speaker 13: I'm going to have to just sit around and hold each other and cry if we need to. But the most important things is the students or the child making sure that they're fine through the whole thing, which is just again unimaginable.
Speaker 4: All of the district's twenty four campuses have been closed since January eighth because of the fire and Eaton Canyon. Five were severely damaged or destroyed. The rest of the schools are going to reopen in phases over the next couple of weeks, with the first group going back next Thursday, January twenty third. The district wants to have all schools without severe damage back open for in person learning by the end of the month. A new task force has been created to focus on fighting crimes related to fires in LA as people work to recover and rebuild the US Attorney's offices, the Joint Regional Fire Crimes Task Force, quite a mouthful, made up of federal and local law enforcement, will investigate fire related crimes and prosecute those trying to exploit the crisis. They'll be targeting looters, arsonists, financial scammers, and those flying drones illegally. Since last week, more than fifty people have been arrested for looting or theft related crimes in the fire areas. The chief medical officer with the California Medical Assistance Team says California's gotta stop firing firefighters. Doctor Jasmeat Bains has proposed a plan to ensure cal fire stays fully staffed all year. Current funding doesn't allow for full staffing through the winter. Doctor Bains says, even if they're not responding to wildfires, floods, and earthquakes, full funding would enable firefighters to do controlled burns to clear brush and to educate the public about fire safety. Maps released by the US drought Monitors show most of southern California is back in a drought.
Speaker 8: Severe drought is the third highest category on a scale of five categories for drought severity. In January of last year, following significant rainfall, almost none of southern California was in a drought of any kind.
Speaker 4: CFI's Daniel Martindale says an analysis from UCLA shows climate change amplifies dry conditions. Just three months ago, southern California was not considered to be in a drought. Now northern California is not in drought. They've had a number of rainstorms and even some flooding, so hopefully that's going to help us keep our water supply AOK through the year. With the help of your donations, the Dream Center and iHeartMedia Los Angeles have been working together to help the victims affected by the devastating firefire fires across LA and your donations are being used right now to deliver air purifiers, electronics, things like phone chargers, pet food supplies and more to areas in the community and as they start to fan out and deliver those supplies, we're still taking donations. You can donate dollars now at KFI AM six forty dot com slash donate. You can also text Relief to three three one zero zero to make a donation, and if you want to do a physical donation. Here are some of the things that they still need. Non perishable food things like can goods, snack ready to meals. There's bottled water and sports drinks. They're needed for hydration. They still need hygiene products things like toothpait, toothpaste and toothbrushes, soap, shampoo, feminine products, baby supplies, air purifiers and masks, flashlights, batteries, portable home phone chargers, first aid kits, and medical supplies. Still need pet food and pet supplies for those animals, and cleaning supplies things like mops and buckets, disinfectants, all that stuff needed to clean up and assist with recovery. You can drop off donations at the Dream Center and Echo Park. They will be taken on site today and tomorrow from nine to seven. Then they're gonna shut down for Sunday regroup, and then we'll be taking donations again all week next week, Monday through Saturday from nine am to seven pm. And if you are affected by the fire and need immediate help, you can call two one three two seven three seven thousand or go to Dreamscenter dot org. Evacuation orders have been lifted in several neighborhoods impacted by the fire and Pacific Palisades. About eleven thousand residents are being allowed to go back home if their homes are still there. Officials say people need to know there's no power or water in the area and there are still dangers. Some near the eaten fire also being allowed to go back. It could be a week or more before others are going to be allowed to return to the burn areas. The cease fire deal is back on. A ceasefire and hostage release agreement has been signed in Doha, Qatar by Israel, Hamas, the US and Katar. After some last minute snags, the Israeli Security Cabinet has approved it. It now goes before the full Cabinet. If it gets full approval, it would go into effect as soon as Sunday. Governor Newsom could be facing another recall. Randy Economy has launched a recall against the governor because of the way he's handled the Wildfire's Recent polls shows Newsom's approval rating has dropped to forty six percent. Some believe the numbers lower than that because of not only the wildfires, but also a looming budget crisis. At six oh five, it's Handle on the news, State Farm is pulling out of the Super Bowl. Bill's going to tell you why. At five point fifty, reconnecting with Severance, Get It, ABC's Willgans is going to give you a first look at season two of Severance, Can't Wait, and some other things that you can watch if you plan to curl up on the couch this weekend. Let's say good morning now to our house, whisper the host of Home on KFI. It's Dean Sharp.
Speaker 7: Good morning, Dean, who was also born in January.
Speaker 4: So what's your birthday?
Speaker 7: It was the eleventh.
Speaker 4: Oh, happy birthday. I didn't even know it was your birthday.
Speaker 7: I turned to twenty nine for the second time, and you.
Speaker 4: Don't look a day over it. Okay, let's talk about fires. We want to keep focusing on that because you know, homes and so many were affected, and so many are at risk. So let's separate some fact from fiction when it comes to fire hardening your home.
Speaker 7: Yeah, that's kind of where we're turning our attention this weekend, because already, thank you social media, there are a slew of what I call gimmicks and kind of ignorant based ideas out there about Okay, everybody, here's how we're going to fire prove our homes. And they're expensive, they're a little bit wacky, and they're really kind of most of them a waste of time.
Speaker 4: Okay, And you're going to be talking about this all weekend on Home with Deems Sharp right here on kif I ride six to eight on Saturday, the nine to noon on Sunday. But let's talk Dean, just now real quick about a few of the things you'll be talking about that are absolutely dead wrong. Like you said, they're out on social media and they're not going to do you any good.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 7: Well, here's the thing. Let's these have been in the news lately. Rooftop sprinklers always get very very popular right after a wildfire event or even edge of property sprinkler. Just about any sprinkler, any that has the word sprinkler in it, other than full on interior home fire sprinklers, you know, the official kind of fire sprinklers inside a home.
Speaker 4: Really interesting because I know as somebody who is building a home in Pacific, is it in the pala size, Yes, it's in Pacific. Palisades, and they're putting fireproofing stuff and they plan to have sprinklers on the roof.
Speaker 7: Really well, so here's the thing I mean, just to comment on that as an example, if they're building a home in California, then they are required to put Class A rated shingles on their roof. Their roof is going to be a Class A fire rated roof, meaning it's a roof that's hard to burn. And yet, and yet people are still embracing this idea. I need to put sprinklers up on my roof and keep it wet and so that it doesn't burn. This is not how houses burn. We don't have things dropping onto roofs or flames dropping onto a roofing material and catching it on fire.
Speaker 4: Okay, so how are they starting.
Speaker 7: Well, when you see a roof burning, ninety nine times out of one hundred, it is burning from the attic out from underneath where the flame has got into the attic, and now it's burning the roof rafters and the plywood underneath. And we're seeing that flame emerge from the attic, not burn from the roofing materials down. And so sprinklers just don't even enter into the factor of how it really happens. And that's why I don't really want people to waste their time on this. What I do want people to focus on is what you and I have talked about many times before, but I'm gonna say it again because I feel like we have everybody's attention now in a new way, at least for a little bit of time. And that is ninety percent of the homes that burn in a wildfire ignite before the fire arrives at the house. How flames are something that of course you want your home ready to deal with flames if flames arrive. But embers are the primary enemy in a wildfire event. And this has been true of all wildfire events for as long as we know. This was true of the Palisades fire. It was true of the Eaten fire. And imagine this. Imagine a few hundred dollars spent on a flame on emberproofing attic and subfloor vents, A few hundred dollars spent. If most of the homes in the Palisades, which were very wealthy homes, had spent a few hundred dollars on those emberproof vents, statistics tell us that the fire would have moved ninety percent slower through that neighborhood, and only a fraction of the homes would have actually been affected by the flames. It would not have been the catastrophe that we've just witnessed.
Speaker 4: It was probably a wake up call of the very very worst kind, but important, important for us to be ready. So Dean, you're going to be focusing on all of this during the weekend shows right here on KFI again, it's Home with Dean Sharp. You can hear at six to eight am on Saturday and nine to noon on Sunday. You're gonna bust up some more of the myths and tell people how to get your homes ready. Thank you so much, Dean, appreciate it.
Speaker 7: Thanks Amy.
Speaker 4: All right, we'll talk to you soon. Let's get back to some of the stories coming out of the KFI twenty four hour newsroom. The death toll from the fires in La County is up to twenty seven. Most are in the Alta Dina area, where at least seventeen have died. Ten deaths have been confirmed in the Pacific Palace Sades area. La County Sheriff Luna announced yesterday his department has thirty one active missing person cases. More than eleven thousand people in Pacific Palisades in Malibu are being allowed to go back home as evacuation orders are lifting. Many of them say they are grateful their homes are still standing.
Speaker 14: And I have to say, as we drove into the house and I saw and I thought of all the families who.
Speaker 3: Would not be able to you that I started to cry.
Speaker 4: Others may have to wait at least another week before they can return. The fires burn nearly twenty four thousand acres, it's twenty seven percent surrounded. At least ten people have died in that fire. And again, if you are looking for information about where the evacuations are still in place and where they've been lifted, you can find that at Recovery dot LA County dot gov. LA County District Attorney Nathan Hawkman has hired a special prosecutor to handle cases involving police misconductfi's Daniel Martindale says Hawkman announced the hiring of Mike Janako.
Speaker 8: Yesterdayano is the former chief of the Civil Rights Section for the US Attorney's Office in California Central District. Hawkman's office says Janako is one of the foremost experts in civil rights and police misconduct cases in the country.
Speaker 4: Hawkman says the goal is to ensure transparency and accountability while strengthening public confidence in our justice system. Your mom may have said, don't slurp your soup, but now you can suck it.
Speaker 12: Progresso has introduced a new way to enjoy soup. The company released its first ever limited edition soup Drops candy this week. If you find that hard to swallow, Progresso says it took the beloved flavors of their Progresso Chicken Noodle soup and pack them into a fun, savory candy. It's sold exclusively on progressosoup drops dot com for two dollars and forty nine cents a can. The first batch sold out. The site says they're super sorry, but don't stew. More will be released at nine am Eastern every Thursday in January. Mark Ronner KFI News.
Speaker 4: Okay, so put it on it will Will you put this on your calendar on Thursday's nine am. I'm guessing it's probably Eastern time. So next Thursday we got to order some of these things. All you soup drop candy, all you savory candy that sounds so so disgusting. What if it was bacon candy, Well maybe yeah, then Maybee mabel, Oh bacon maple candy. It's still kind of iffy. Yeah, ok, Hey, on a quick correction. We talked to Captain Kellaher earlier about, you know, some of what the firefighters are doing now, the progress they're making, how they're drawing lines around and putting hotspots out. And I had mentioned that Captain Kellaher was with CalFire. No, Captain Kellaher is with La County Fire. They're all working together, but I want to make sure that she gets her her due. It's Captain keller Heer with the La County Fire. And you can always go back and listen to that interview again. She had some great information for us and you can find it on the wake Up Call page on the iHeartRadio app. Kids who go to school in Pasadena are slowly going to be going back to class. All schools in the Pasadena School District have been closed since January eighth because of the fires. The first group of schools will reopen next Thursday. At least five schools have been damaged or destroyed in the Eaten fire. Firefighters have been able to take advantage of calmer winds to dig lines around the fire. In the Pacific Palisades, that fires now twenty seven percent surrounded, up from twenty two percent yesterday. Some residents are being allowed back into their neighborhoods offici, She'll say, most evacuation orders will remain in effect for at least another week. Southern California is experiencing its driest start to the rainy season in one hundred and fifty years, so so cows in drought, but the water supply in California's stable thanks to heavy storms in Northern California, rains have kept major reservoirs like Lake Oraville and Lake Shasta well above normal levels. The snowpack in the Sierra Nevada is also above normal. Let's say good morning to ABC's Will Gans. If you want to curl up on the couch, this weekend might be a good time to do it.
Speaker 6: That's right, Hi, Amy, I've been thinking about you. How are you? How is everybody doing over there?
Speaker 4: Well, we personally are doing fine, but man, this has been a really rough couple of weeks. These fires have just been so devastating, But we're getting back on our feet, and the resilience of the people is pretty amazing. And the other thing will that I want to just mention that we've said several times, it's so heartwarming to see Angelino's coming together. You know, we're this big city eleven million people or however whatever the latest total is, and we feel kind of disconnected and stuff. And this has really brought people together. And it's sad that it takes a tragedy to do it, but we're doing it.
Speaker 12: I know you are.
Speaker 6: And I've been thinking about you and praying for all of you guys. And yeah, so I'm yeah. If people are looking for maybe something to restore some semblance of normalcy and such an unl you know, a normal, unnatural experience, there are some good shows to watch and movies to see and things like that. So I do have some recommendations for everybody looking to to sort of cozy up on the couch.
Speaker 4: Okay, So before we go cozy up on the couch, I want to go to the movie theaters.
Speaker 9: What do you Oh, yeah, what's.
Speaker 4: New in the theaters?
Speaker 6: Okay? So one of them days is sort of a buddy comedy. It's Keiky Palmer who I would watch in anything she does ever. I've just been she's the best. I think she's so multi talented and so underrated. Yeah, what do we know from She was in Aquila and the Bee was like her breakout role as a kid, and then she you know, she had can you believe it?
Speaker 3: I love.
Speaker 6: Yes, So she is. She's been in the game for a long time and I just think, you know it's she does red carpet reporting sometimes and she's just like such a She's so charismatic. She this charisma. So she's in this movie One of Them Days with Sizza, who is making her big screen debut, the musical artist Sizza. Yeah, and they play roommates who have like less, They have like twelve hours to get together their rent money or their landlord's going to kick them out, and so they you know, embark on a journey across Los Angeles and all of the hijinks that they get into to see if they can scrauch together this money, like donating blood and selling sneakers and all of these crazy things. And you know, the movie is silly, and maybe it's a little bit predictable, but it's like, you know, it's just feel good vibes. I saw it in the theater last night, and you know, everyone had their popcorn and they were laughing together. It was it was a fun movie theater experience.
Speaker 4: Well, and you know what, we need a little fun and escapism. That's why I was wanting to hear about that one, because I think just to get away from reality for a little while is important right now, right.
Speaker 6: Yes, one hundred percent. So Kiki Palmer is amazing, you know, as always. And I was really impressed with Scissa's acting chops, you know, like we only know her from her singing, and I think that this is a good step if she wants to continue acting, This is a really great step in that direction as well.
Speaker 4: Okay, off topic because this is not on your list, but I was curious because I keep seeing ads for this. Have you seen Better Man yet?
Speaker 9: I have not.
Speaker 4: You won't talk about it yet, but it's a it's a movie that I keep seeing ads for that I didn't see, like in theaters, like coming soon and that kind of stuff. But it looks like it's a chimpanzee who can talk and he becomes a superstar. But it's getting good reviews.
Speaker 6: Yeah, so it's like it's a Robbie Williams biopic, the British you know, pop star and so, but instead of you know, having an actor play him, they have this cgi chimpanzee and I guess it's like a metaphor for how he you know, sort of felt like, I don't know, dehumanized to some extent by his level of fame. So I, you know, I don't.
Speaker 4: Know, but maybe it was just watch it and then reconvene.
Speaker 6: Yes, yes, we'll meet how about how about to meet you right back here at the same time next reach. Okay, that sounds good about it.
Speaker 4: Okay, that's great. Okay, So now if we're gonna sit and sit on the couch. Uh, there's something that's reconnecting this week.
Speaker 6: Yes, so after three years, we're finally getting our look at Severance.
Speaker 2: Uh.
Speaker 6: Season two on Apple TV plus. So season one came out three years ago. It ended with the cliffhanger. Of course, this is the show with Adam Scott, and it's about like what happens if there are two versions of you, one that you know works in the office and stays in the office, and your memories are only about what life is like at work, and then the other version of you is outside of work and you know, happy, go lucky and all of those things. And so finally, season two started last night. The first episode dropped on Apple's TV Plus and it's produced by Ben still Or. People are obsessed with this show, so you know, and it picks up right where season one left off, so a lot of people who are fans of that show are excited to jump back into the action there.
Speaker 4: And my recommendation, because I talked about it earlier this week, was that you go back and watch season one, if not the whole season, like at least the last couple of episodes, because it's been so long and I have the memory of a nat but it's been so long you kind of need to be reminded of exactly where we left off.
Speaker 6: Yes, yes, because each of those characters was sort of left off in a precarious situation, so even if you remember what the big thing was, you might not remember where everyone else was.
Speaker 4: And so far, we think it's going to be a good season.
Speaker 6: Yes, early reviews are really great. And I don't know if you saw any of the video, but the whole cast was here in New York Ingrand Central station in a glass cube like seeing as if they're pared. It was a crazy promotional stunt, but I think it worked.
Speaker 4: Okay, all right, Severn on Apple Apple TV plus, Will gans thank you so much much for the information. I think I need to go sit in a movie theater for a couple hours this week.
Speaker 6: Treat yourself to a large popcorn on me, Amy, you deserve it.
Speaker 4: You got it. Okay, Will Ganz will talk to you and again next week.
Speaker 6: All right, I have a good one.
Speaker 4: Thanks. Let's get back to some of the stories coming out of the KFI twenty four hour newsroom. Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyah, who says Israel's security cabinet has approved the ceasefire deal with Hamas in Gaza.
Speaker 13: Natanyao now convening his security Cabinet, which is expected to vote and approve the ceasefire deal.
Speaker 4: His governing coalition expected to do the same. ABC's Jordonna Miller says net and Yahoo insists the ceasefire will start on Sunday. The agreement is broken up into three phases. The first, we'll see thirty three hostages for it, including two Americans who are presumed to be alive. Netanyahu has instructed a special task force to prepare to receive the hostages returning from Gaza, and said that families have been informed and they will be told when the deal is finalized. State Farm Insurance has reported getting seventy eight hundred and fifty home and auto claims because of the fires, with numbers expected to rise as damages are assessed. The company said yesterday it has put over fifty million dollars back into customers hands and encouraged all policyholders impacted by the fires to file acclaim. State Farm also announced this week it would offer to renew policies for people impacted by the fires as long as they had coverage when the fires started. Last week. Lawmakers in California have unveiled a plan to help those affected by the wildfires. California Assembly Speaker Robert Reeves says the bill will speed up recovery efforts, secure housing for fire victims, and provide billions in funding for La County.
Speaker 14: Our entire state stands together with Los Angeles and we will move quickly to approve some billions of dollars in funding to kickstart toxic debris removal. The legislature will also prove funding to begin rebuilding and repairing our.
Speaker 4: Schools the legislature outlined yesterday or the legislation rather outlined yesterday. Event changes to local building rules unless they enhance safety or fire resistance. Permit approvals will be expedited, and the thirty day rental rules will be lifted for motels, hotels and airbnbs. It will also provide temporary eviction protections for displaced residents.
Speaker 8: Now why now you ain't nothing body.
Speaker 5: Flo?
Speaker 4: I can't wait to hear jelly Roll perform this. Jelly Roll will be joined by Billie Eilish, Lady Gaga, Katie Perry, and lots of other artists. Some of the biggest names in music have signed on to help raise money for thousands of people who've lost everything in the southern California wildfires. Fire Aid is happening January thirtieth at both the Intoit Dome and the Kia Forum. If you don't go to the concert, you can watch it and donate. It's being live streamed about everywhere in theaters, on Apple, Tea, on YouTube, Paramount Plus, Netflix, Prime Video, Twitch, and SoundCloud. Tickets for the shows at Into It and Kia go on sale January twenty second going to be an amazing show. This is KFI and KOST HD two Los Angeles, Orange County Southland weather from KFI, low clouds and fog clearing to sunny skies, cool with highs around sixty at the beaches Metro La and Inland Orange County mid fifties to about sixty for the valleys and Inland Empire fifties in the Antelope Valley. Cold tonight with loads in the thirties and forties. Partly cloudy and cool Tomorrow with highs in the fifties to mid sixties. About the same for Sunday. It'll be mostly sunny after morning, low clouds on Martin Luther King Junior Day Monday, with highs topping out in the mid sixties. It's fifty in Fountain Valley, forty one Woodland Hills, forty four in Mission viah forty eight in Inglewood. We lead local live from the KFI twenty four hour newsroom for producer and and technical producer KNO and traffic specialist will I am Amy King. This has been your wake up call. If you missed any of wake up Call, you can listen anytime on the iHeartRadio app.
Speaker 1: You've been listening to Wake Up Call with me Amy King. You can always hear Wake Up Call five to six am Monday through Friday on KFI AM six forty, and anytime on demand on the iHeartRadio app