Speaker 1: Dodger Talk is sponsored by LA Care Health Plan, providing affordable healthcare insurance to millions of Angelinos for over twenty five years. And now your voice for Dodger Talk. Like back David Basse.
Speaker 2: We are live at the Oakland Coliseum as the Saturday night fireworks show at the Oakland Coliseum continues. After the Dodgers shut out the Oakland Athletics ten to nothing by scoring six runs in the ninth inning tonight, Welcome the Dodger Talk David Vase with you until ten thirty tonight, live from Oakland. My final Dodger Talk show or the final Dodger Talk show from the Oakland Coliseum. This goes back to Ross Porter Rick Monday did weekend Dodger Talk shows from the Oakland Coliseum. So this is the final Dodger Talk ever from the Oakland Coliseum. A lot of history here between the Dodgers and Oakland Athletics. We obviously know about the eighty eight Dodgers beating Oakland in five games, orl Herscheizer struck out Tony Phillips for the final out of that World Series here in Oakland, and that's very historic. I wish orl was here in Oakland. I don't know where Orl Herscheiser is. I wish he was put on the schedule. On no disrespect to Jessica Mendoza, but Orl Herscheizer needed to be here for the final game ever played between the Dodgers and A's. But nonetheless, it was more important for Orl to be pitching Game five of the World Series than it is for him to be in the booth with Steven Nelson. But even going back further, in nineteen seventy four, the upstart young Dodgers of Ronsea and Steve Garvey and Steve Jeger, Bill Russell, Davey Lopes, they played in the seventy four World Series against these Oakland Athletics. The Athletics swept the Dodgers in that World Series, but honestly, the eighty eight Dodgers the most magical championship team in their franchise history, at least on the West Coast. The fifty five Dodgers will forever be Brooklyn's team, but Los Angeles' team is the eighty eight Dodgers. That was a special year, and it culminated in oral Herscheizer being hoisted up by Rick Dempsey in the final game, Game five here at the Oakland Coliseum, and also more history was made tonight. Sho heo Tani becomes just the third Dodger in their franchise history to be a thirty to thirty player, the first Dodgers since Matt Kemp in twenty eleven, the third player like I mentioned, Rauel Mondesi did it twice and Kemp did it in twenty eleven, and sho Heyotani makes history in the second to last Dodger game ever played here at the Oakland Coliseum in front of thirty five thousand, two hundred and seven. We had a chance to catch up with sho he Otani just a few minutes after the final out. He was as excited as Otani can get about these things. Sho hey Otani.
Speaker 3: Steals three bases for his first time in his career thirty stolen bases, the first Dodger to be a thirty to thirty player.
Speaker 2: Since Matt camp Show.
Speaker 3: Hey, what's your thoughts on stealing thirty for the first time this year?
Speaker 4: Mamanto ca, Yeah, I didn't have a really good start, but I'm just glad I was safe on that one and the stolen base afterwards was really, I think was pretty crucial to the game, so I was. I'm happy that I was able to contribute.
Speaker 2: You've had a lot of milestones in this stadium. Here's another one for you. How aware were you that you were just two stolen bases away from thirty?
Speaker 4: You know, you're in the mall, you know the hi.
Speaker 5: I don't know.
Speaker 4: I was vaguely aware and not exactly aware, but you know, I'm glad that I was able to get those two stolen bases and felt good.
Speaker 2: Was it even more special that I was here.
Speaker 4: The spish out of the Pnja Mascato soulism study at the.
Speaker 1: Shop Winness.
Speaker 4: I'm just, you know, really focused on just just putting up the numbers and doing my job, and I'm happy that I was able to do that tonight.
Speaker 2: Thank you, Wheels Otani, Thank you, Thanks Bill. Yeah that we had some fun after the game show Aotani making history, the first DH ever, by the way, to be a thirty to thirty player on a big night here at the Oakland Coliseum as the Dodgers defeat the A's ten to nothing. Also, history was made in a milestone in some ways. Jack Flaherty out of the San Fernando Valley, Harvard Westlake makes his Dodger debut tonight in the second to last game ever played by the Dodgers here at the Oakland Coliseum and pitches six shutout innings, has seven strikeouts to win his first game as a Dodger. He could tell his grandkids that as well. He'll tell him one day. You know what, I made my Dodger debut at the Oakland Coliseum. It's not there anymore. The A's moved, but that's where I made my Dodger debut. I pitched six scoreless sinnings, had seven strikeouts, and I picked up my first win, and my mom was there to witness it all. Jack Flaherty can say that he certainly was spectacular tonight. I love Jack Flaherty's toughness on the Mounta tonight. I loved how he was unflappable on the Mounta tonight, especially in the sixth inning when things did not go his way. To start out with a ground ball, why the first base and Cavin Bigio had to throw it more than just a toss, A little bit of a throw from where a second baseman would be playing in the shallow area of the infield as you hear the grand finale of the fireworks show that are being shot off behind Mount Davis here at the Oakland Coliseum. But Jack flerting that sixth thinning got into a basis load jam. Nobody out had started with a bad throw from Cavin Bigio, then a walk and then or excuse me, a Flai to left field, then a walk, bases loaded nobody out. Jack Flaherty did not let that rattle him. He got out of that sixth inning without giving up a run. That was huge and exactly what the Dodgers needed. And this is the reason why the Dodgers wanted Jack Flaherty. They needed a Jack flarerty in the rotation to be behind Tyler Glass. Now hopefully Yoshi Yamamoto can be behind them and Clayton Kershaw can round into form and knock off the rust Jack flarerity. It doesn't get any better than this. A Dodger debut, six scoreless innings and you win the game. Let's head downstairs right now to the Dodger Clubhouse to hear from another great one, a pitcher, Jack Flaherty on sports net LA.
Speaker 6: Anytime you get a chance, helll the team win and that's that's kind of all that matters, the the important part of it. I'll I'll take the time tonight and kind of try to soak it all in and just you know, I'm just excited to be here and and have a chance to help this team.
Speaker 7: Big shout out endings, what was the focus for you? And just working with Will Smith to navigate through their lineup.
Speaker 8: I think it was just slowly getting into a rhythm.
Speaker 6: I think as the game went on, we got a new better rhythm, better rhythm and got better in sync.
Speaker 8: That's just kind of the nature.
Speaker 6: Of the game and the way that it goes and and Will did a really good job of making adjustments and just calling the game and navigating through some tough navigating through some tough spots.
Speaker 8: So you know, approached to him.
Speaker 6: How little do these ten days between it starts felt free, especially with everything that's changed in between, so they felt so long.
Speaker 8: It was nice to get back out there.
Speaker 6: I've been itching for I didn't know when it was going to be or who it was going to be with, so you know, it took a felt like it's been a while since I've been on the mountain, but it was nice to get out there and then get a win.
Speaker 8: Heavy Was that just matchup to penmanentt or is feeling really good with it early on?
Speaker 6: Or I think it just felt good with it and just just one of those things.
Speaker 8: I think you'll say things kind of.
Speaker 6: Even out a little bit more as we get into a little bit more of a rhythm and you know, kind of get on a normal routine and rotation here. But every game is different, so you just you never know.
Speaker 9: Kind of going through your mind in that sixth inning when the bases or loaded, and just how you approach a situation like that.
Speaker 8: Just one pitch of the time. Nothing changes.
Speaker 6: It's always just one pitch at a time, and uh, you know, we got the two outs there, and then you know, take a step off and you know, refocus and not let your mind wander because you know, you get two outs right there, and then you let the mind wander a little bit and you're like, okay, I'm almost out of it, but you know, you just stay focused and it's the same as everything else.
Speaker 8: It's just one pitch of a time.
Speaker 7: We've seen how these last few gays have gone just for this team, how much is being the stopper just kind of top of mind for you.
Speaker 6: I think it happens to a lot of teams. I don't think it's happened here a lot, especially in the last couple of years.
Speaker 8: But you know, it's just just good to go out and get get a win.
Speaker 6: And uh, you know, and it was. It felt really good. You know, God given me they trust there in the sixth inning and final way to get out of it. Well, I navigating through it. You know, Nick made a big play there, so just throwing through just just good overall.
Speaker 8: Really okay after the comeback.
Speaker 6: I'm sure it'll be stiff tomorrow, but for the rest of the game, like, yeah, it was good.
Speaker 5: A couple of days of the team obviously, does is there anything different you've been working on since if they're looking.
Speaker 8: Over all, I just getting acclimated.
Speaker 6: I'm sure we'll work on some things as we get some more time here and get some more time around the guys and this staff. But it was just getting acclimated and was just trying to get a rhythm and get to know everybody and just that's about it.
Speaker 2: Well, certainly it worked tonight. Whatever Jack Flerty was doing pitching on ten days rest because the Tigers scratched him last Saturday just to protect him in the UH in the likelihood of Flirty being traded, which he was on Tuesday afternoon to the Dodgers. His Dodger debut of success six scoreless sinnings with seven strikeouts really a good night for Jack Flarerity. And if you're in the San Fernando Valley you grew up with Jack Flaherty, would love to hear from you. Eight six six nine eighty seven two five seventy. Also, if you're listening to us on the iHeartRadio app here in Oakland, if you were one of the thirty five thousand, two hundred and seven in attendance tonight, would love to hear from you as well. Eight six six nine eight seven two five seventy. You know, I just wanted to take a walk around the concourse one last time in the middle of this game, and there was a lot more energy on the concourse than what you may expect at an Oakland A's game with them on their way out. A large part of the reason was because there were a lot of Dodger fans here. I mean, I've seen Oakland A's games this season where you're looking at three thousand, five thousand fans, and here tonight thirty five thousand, two hundred and seven, you had Dodger fans in the third deck behind home plate. They really filled up this place today and it was really cool to see so many Dodger fans really taking the opportunity to come witness history, and they got more than they bargained for because they saw show Heyotani steal three bases tonight to make it thirty one. On the year, he has thirty three home runs thirty one stolen bases, becomes the first Dodger since Matt Kemp in twenty eleven to be a thirty thirty player and just the third Dodger in franchise history to be a thirty thirty player, and he joins Matt Kemp and Raoul Mondesi in that category. But he's not done there because right now, with thirty three home runs and thirty one stolen bases, sho he Otani is on pace for forty nine home runs and forty one stolen bases, So he's not stopping here. Eight six six seven, two five seventy is the phone number. We're gonna take a time out here on Dodger Talk when we come back. We have two lines open at eight six, six, nine eighty seven, two five seventy. Also we'll hear from kei Y Hernandez, who had a big night as well. After the Dodgers get Jack Flaherdia win in his Dodger debut ten to nothing over the Athletics on the Los Angeles Dodgers Audio Network.
Speaker 1: On air at AM five seventy, online at AM five seventy LA sports dot com, and available my podcast on the iHeartRadio app.
Speaker 2: This is Dodger Talk.
Speaker 10: With David Bassa, Tony Weeds at first, pull one count to to Oscar Hernandez. There goes Otani. He's swinging a miss throw down.
Speaker 2: I'm not there. It's on the center field.
Speaker 10: Stolen base number thirty and show hey, O'tani is a thirty thirty man, thirty three home runs, thirty stolen bases.
Speaker 2: There it is history made at the Oakland Coliseum by sho Heotani thirty three home runs, thirty one stolen bases. After Otani steals three bases tonight two in the ninth inning during the Dodgers six run explosion to blow out the Athletics. Tonight by a final score of ten to nothing. Daniels Jewelers is the official trip is the sponsor of the trip around the Diamonds. Stop by any Daniel's location and say home run for your free team bracelet and fifty dollars gift card toward any purchase of ninety nine dollars or more. Daniels Jewelers Own the Dream. Eight six six ninety seven, two five seventy is the phone number. The final Dodger Talk from the Oakland Coliseum. The Oakland A's are moving. This is it for them. They are headed to Seve Zameno, if you can believe that.
Speaker 4: But this is.
Speaker 2: History in the making here. The Dodgers will play their final game at the Oakland Coliseum tomorrow afternoon. River Ryan will go down in the history books as the last Dodger starter ever to make a start here at the Oakland Coliseum against the Oakland Athletics Tonight, Jack Flaherty made history of his own Dodger debut, winning the game and certainly a happy Flarity family and a lot of people happy in the eight one to eight. Let's go out to North Hollywood. James, You're on Dodger Talk with David vasse Hi.
Speaker 11: James, Hey, David, what a refreshing turn of events to see a trade deadline pickup Fitch so well, to see our lineup from top to bottom.
Speaker 12: Take the kind of the bats where they move the ball forward as Doc says, you know, and it led to that just run explosion. Speaking of trade deadline, I wanted to ask you before it becomes too far in the ancient past, what you think about the Ryan Yarborough for Kevin Kiermeyer move. In my mind, you got pie Hasten outman that you can platoon out there. You know, the offense isn't quite there by, you know, by them, and I think that outman, especially at outman with glove, I think they were fine to hold down that position.
Speaker 13: What do you think about that move by the Dodgers?
Speaker 2: Well, they were not fine, James, because if you look at the advanced metrics out there, Andy pie has was second to last of all center fielders in baseball with defensive runs saved. The Dodgers needed an upgrade in center field. So Ryan Yarborough was going to be an odd man out with a lot of these relievers coming back, and really he wasn't doing his role he was coming in and giving up runs and Dave Roberts was forced to go to other relievers, where last year Yarborough was able to eat innings and keep the score where it was, So he was not a functioning part of the roster moving forward. So I like getting Kevin Kiermeyer a defensive center fielder, and Tommy Edmund is going to play elite center field defense. I was talking to Andrew Friedman today before the game, and I said, why do you love Tommy Edmund so much? Why have you been wanting him for so many years? And he said, well, he plays elite defense at shortstop, elite defense at second base, and elite defense in center field. So the Dodgers needed an upgrade in center field and up the middle. And yeah, those guys just piz has run out of gas, which happens to rookies sometimes.
Speaker 12: Edmund makes a lot of sense to me because of Freeman ball, with the versatility and the elite defense. As you said, but you know, you got Kierman and Outman both hitting around one ninety, and Autvin's defensive metrics I think are a lot better than than Pae. Hayes agreed that Yarborough wasn't as sharp as he was last year, but his ERA was still well under four. And even with guys coming back, we've seen that you can't rely on guys staying healthy all the way through the postseason.
Speaker 2: That's fair, But I can't get the image of James Outman boxing a fly ball by Kutel Marte in Game one of last year's NLDS. So I would still say, if everything's equal, Kevin Kiermeyer is a way better defensive center fielder.
Speaker 11: Very fair, especially in the postseason when it matters most.
Speaker 12: Last questions for you, Dave. Last question for you, speaking of the outfield, what odds do you give Mookie Bets playing the majority of his time when he's back in right field.
Speaker 2: Well, I would say, right now, it's fifty to fifty, James, and thanks for the phone call. Right now, the Dodger roster is a little unsettled. Shortstop is a little unsettled. What I can tell you is I believe that when the postseason starts, the chances of Mookie Bets playing shortstop exclusively down significantly. If Miguel Rojas is healthy, and my understanding is he is getting closer to being ready to return to the roster, and if Gavin Lux continues to hit the way Gavin Lux is hitting right now, the best spot for Mookie Betts to help the Dodgers win is back in right field. So I feel like right now shortstop is still a real possibility. But in the postseason, I could see Mookie playing some right field, and maybe, if the matchups dictate it, play some second base. But the way Gavin Lux is swinging the bat again tonight, coming up big with the with runners in scoring position and two outs in the third inning tonight, he gives the Dodgers an early two to nothing lead, and Lux is on a hot streak since the All Star Breaks. So right now, Gavin Lux is not going anywhere, and Mookie Betts, by the way, is expected to return to the Dodgers the first or second game of their next road trip, which will be in of all places, my second home, Miller Park. Yeah, that's where Mookie Betts is expected to come back. The Dodgers have a tough road trip, four in Milwaukee and then three in Saint Louis, so that's when MOOKI is expected to return. Let's go out to Rex and Temecula. You're on Dodger Talk with David basse Hi Rex.
Speaker 14: Hearry, David, that's a great news about MOOKI uh show hio Tani. I mean, what else does this guy have to.
Speaker 15: Do to prove he's the show his contract? I mean, start stealing bases while like juggling, running chainsaws, like over live shark tanks. I mean, every night this guy amazes us in different ways. And like I hear, Elon Musk is mad at him because he keeps taking out the Starlink satellites with the home runs. This guy is like, kay, when you.
Speaker 2: Get Rex, you're doing all this while you're driving. That's impressive.
Speaker 14: Well, my car is driving myself. You know the way it goes. Now, you don't keep him away from the Lakers facility because we don't want to have him pull like a te On Sanders on us and start playing basketball and baseball. I told your screener, I want to know what you thought of the return of Fax Monsey. Where are we on that? And thanks again for your great show.
Speaker 2: Always all right, Rix, drive safely whoever's driving your car. We had to get through all those puns to get to your question about Max Munsey. Max Munsey is going to participate. I believe in a simulated game next Thursday with Mookie Betts, Miguel Rojas, and Tommy Edmund. I have said this going back two weeks. My Bowl prediction is that Mookie Bets will return to the Dodger lineup before Mac Mony, and all indications I'm getting from the Dodgers is that I will be true in that prediction. I will be made true in that prediction that Mookie Bets will be back before Max Monsey. Tommy Edmund is about ten days away as well, so the Dodgers are starting to get their cavalry back. Freddie Freeman. Also, you know I mentioned last night if I could dedicate a show, I would dedicate it to Max Freeman. So I dedicated last night to Max. I'm dedicating tonight to Max. And Freddie Freeman is expected back when the Dodgers come home for that Philly series. Whether or not it's the first game still remains to be seen. But it will be great to see Freddie Freeman. And I know his teammates just want to give him a hug and let them know that they're here for him, and so's the entire Dodger organization. And I know Dodger fans all over LA have been sending prayers and thoughts to him and Little Max and his one Chelsea, So looking forward to seeing Freddie. Also, I got a laundry list list of guys. Michael Grove and Bruce star graderol pitch tonight for Oklahoma City. Dave Roberts said their return is imminent, so I could see them coming back during this upcoming home stand next week. And Yoshi Yama Moto through a much anticipated bullpen session twenty pitches today and it went well according to the Dodgers, and he will do it again on Tuesday. So fingers crossed that Yoshi Yamamoto can come back to this rotation because all of a sudden, Now, if you start a postseason series, you got Tyler Glass, now you got Jack Flarity, you got Clayton Kershaw, and you have Yoshi Yamamoto. Not a bad starting four eight, six, six, nine, eight, seven, two, five seventy is the phone number. Dodgers shut out the Oakland Athletics tonight ten to nothing and Jack Flerity's Dodger debut. Jack went scoreless innings with seven strikeouts to pick up the win. Let's go back out to the phones. Fred in Riverside, you're on Dodger Talk with David masse Hi.
Speaker 13: Fred, Hi, Dave, thanks for taking my call.
Speaker 16: That's a great update there that you just thank you for giving that update.
Speaker 13: Because the Avengers are assembling. Okay, we've got.
Speaker 16: That Philly series coming up, and you know, the Dodgers face the Yankees.
Speaker 13: It took, if I'm not mistaken, two out of three. But these teams that are supposedly.
Speaker 16: World Series' favorites have yet to see a fully healthy Dodger squad.
Speaker 13: Okay, and we've got our guy.
Speaker 16: Gavin Lux, who's completely turning his season around, batting three to eighteen over the last month or.
Speaker 13: So, riding in eight game hitting streak.
Speaker 16: Shout out to Gavin Lux coming back from a horrific injury. He was an untouchable prospect and he's representing the Blue crowd. So thank you Gavin Lux for grinding it out. You know, it's been uncertain in terms of his defense. There's been a lot of criticism, but this guy has been really, really on fire.
Speaker 2: He really has. And look, everybody wants results right away, but they don't take into account that these guys are human beings. They're not the video games players you see on MLB the Show. They're not fantasy baseball players. These are real people. And when you come back from a devastating knee achilles injury that Gavin Lux came back from, there is not going to be a smooth ride back. And we saw that in spring training. He obviously could not handle shortstop. They moved him to second base. He's played solid defense, but all of a sudden, now the right leg is feeling stronger. He's trusting it to let it go. And also going to his hometown in Wisconsin during the All Star break to work with his uncle. Uncle Schmidt really helped him out as well mentally, physically and mechanically with his swings. So Gavin Lux, he's a good kid, a good hearted kid, and we're all rooting for him for sure, and right now he doesn't need any cheering section. He's doing a great job on his own. Eight six six nine, eight seven two five seventy is the phone number. With the win tonight, the Dodgers remained four and a half games ahead of the San Diego Padres, who came from behind tonight late to beat the Rockies three to two at Petco Park. The Pittsburgh Pirates tonight beat the Arizona Diamondbacks four to two, David Bednar with his twentieth save of the season. Brian Reynolds hit a two run home run in that game for Pittsburgh. So Arizona loses a game on the Dodgers. They are back in third place, five games back of the Dodgers. And look the Dodgers. If they can keep a three to five five game lead until all their players come back, you know what, the reality might set in for San Diego and Arizona that the wildcard is their best chance to get into the postseason. Because if the Dodgers can keep a three to five game lead over those two teams until Mookie Betts comes back, Tommy Edmond plays his first game as a Dodger, and they can keep these guys healthy, all of a sudden, the season's looking a little bit different and the season is starting to come to an end. By the time these guys come back, we're already in August. Let's not forget that. So time is running out on these two teams to catch the Dodgers. Dodgers get a big win tonight, tend to nothing in Oakland, only their second win in this three city road trip. They were swept in San Diego and they only won one of three games in Houston. Let's go out to Lapama. Gustavo, you're on Dodger Talk with David vasse Hi.
Speaker 9: Gustavo, how you guys doing tonight? I got a question for your DV Okay, Yeah, how do we feel about Yoo Yamamoto coming back off the injured list? How is it gonna look healthy? What's what's the deal with that?
Speaker 15: Yeah?
Speaker 2: I was a little skeptical, Gustavo that he would come back, and look, today was a baby step in the possibility of him coming back. He threw a twenty pitch bullpen session today. That that, I guess is positive news that the Dodgers feel like he came out of it, okay, But I'm sure they're going to ramp it up a little bit more each time. And the next time we'll be on Tuesday. So I don't see Yamamoto coming back until the end of August, maybe the beginning of September at the earliest, Okay, And that would give him a month to get ready for the postseason. I think that's what the Dodgers are hoping for that Yamamoto can come back and be who we saw Yankee State, and that would make the Dodgers a very formidable opposition with those three pitchers Flarity Glass, now, Yamamoto, and Clayton Kershaw.
Speaker 13: Yeah, that would be beautiful all right.
Speaker 2: And also the Dodgers need some reinforcements in their bullpen. Bruce dark graderol has not thrown a pitch for the Dodgers all season long. He was a breakout star last year out of their bullpen. Him and Evan Phillips were two headed monster back there. Evan Phillips obviously has not had as great of a year as he had last year. The Dodger bullpen has thrown just about as many innings as their starters had coming into the game tonight. If you look at it as far as innings pitched. Coming into tonight's game, the Dodgers starters had thrown one hundred and fifteen and a third innings while they were lievers. Since the beginning of July had thrown one hundred and four and a third innings. So Jack Flaherty going six scoreless innings tonight was huge for the Dodgers. And it was great to see Jack wearing that number zero. He told us in the pregame show in San Diego. He's wearing number zero for one of his buddies, Russell Westbrook, who played for a short time with the Lakers and Clippers and UCLA of course out of a losing your high school. So a big, big fan of Russell Westbrook going back to his UCLA days. And I'm sure that's how Jack Flarerity met him as well. Two local kids getting a chance to play for their local teams. Russ obviously has moved on since, but Jack Flaherty getting a chance to pitch for the Dodgers, and who knows after this season. If Jack Flaherty pitches well enough, would you rule out Jack Flarerity coming back next year. I wouldn't. The Dodgers had interest in him before this season started, and he's pitched really well for the Tigers, and tonight off to a great start for the Dodgers in his debut, six scoreless in seven strikeouts to win his first game as a Dodger, and I'm sure he's certainly excited about that. Tonight also was history because Shohei Otani became just the third Dodger to have a thirty thirty season. Obviously a lot more to go. Thirty three home runs, thirty one stolen bases, He's on pace to become the first Dodger to be a forty forty player. But how about this more history surrounding Otani becoming a thirty thirty player for the first time in his career. This was his one hundred and eleventh game. That is the quickest a Major leaguer has reached thirty thirty since Alex Rodriguez did it in one hundred and seven games as a Seattle Mariner in nineteen ninety eight. The quickest you asked to reach thirty thirty in a season, Well, that's my guy. Eric Davis out of Fremont High School for the Cincinnati Reds and nineteen eighty seven. He became a thirty thirty player in ninety six games back in the summer of nineteen eighty seven, And if I'm not mistaken, Eric Davis would have become the first forty forty and possibly fifty to fifty player in baseball history if not for him doing what Eric Davis did, reckless abandon in center field, crashing into the brick wall at Wrigley Field, and that cut short his season. Did not play the rest of the year, or he would have been a fifty to fifty player in nineteen eighty seven, do your homework kids on Eric Davis. He was being compared to Willie Mays back then. Eight six six, nine eighty seven, two five seventy is the phone number. Key Hernandez also had a big game for the Dodgers tonight three hits, made a great play at third base when Jack Flaherty was trying to get out of his bases loaded jam in the sixth inning, and also drove in two runs and in the ninth inning. With the game out of reach, Dave Roberts asked KEYK to pitch again, second time this season, third time in his major league career, all with the Dodgers, and after Tonight's game, Kirsten Watson caught up with Key K on Sports and at LA.
Speaker 7: All right, getting close out this game, So tell me, how did you navigate through the A's lineup to have quite the outing to close this one out.
Speaker 5: I had a great game of the play, so I was feeling overly confident on the mound. I knew that my stuff was gonna play, especially with the defense behind me. Ahmad made a great play at third base, and you know after that, Bias kind of was slowed to that ball and I gave up an extra base hit. But uh, you know, after that, I fell behind on the count and I used my sinker, got the ground ball and game over.
Speaker 7: You're gonna talk to Andy about that one.
Speaker 5: Yeah, you know, it's probably a rookie mistake, but it is what it is.
Speaker 7: You know, we're in all seriousness when you look at this game. How important was this win to get this team back into the wincoln huge?
Speaker 8: Of course.
Speaker 5: You know, it's been a tough, tough road trip so far, a lot of games that we could have won and we ended up on the lost column. But you know, we came here when a mission to win, a to win a ball game, win today, and we did that. So you know, we get to go to go home, sleep and hopefully win a serious tomorrow.
Speaker 7: You guys often talk about passing the baton with this offense, everyone got involved when you see that. Just how important was that and how important was it to get those extra insurance runs.
Speaker 15: Late in the game.
Speaker 5: It was huge? Of course, you know, we we we didn't really have anything going on. Early in the game, LuxI with a huge two run hit, and Jack had a great.
Speaker 8: Debut with us.
Speaker 5: He was outstanding. He was lights out, throwing every prisoner strike, keeping them off balance, keeping us in the game, giving us a chance to score some more runs, insurance runs.
Speaker 1: And we did just that.
Speaker 5: We scored two more in the seventh, I believe, and then obviously all hell broke losing the ninth inning, and I came in, I did my thing, and I closed the game out.
Speaker 7: Talking about Jack stodger debut, how special is that for a player like him from southern California, but also to put up six shutout innings, It was huge.
Speaker 5: Of course, when I mean I've gotten traded three times and I know how important the first game is and for INDO to have that game and you know, get on the right track with us, and not only that, but give us, give us innings, give us length. And he did just that, and you know, it was It was great to see and I'm looking forward to a lot more of these.
Speaker 7: A Rankey Gang offense, defense, pitching, you're basically shoo TONI watch.
Speaker 5: Out show who.
Speaker 2: Okay? Thanks KEI K. Yeah, he did everything tonight as Key k Hernandez show, Heo Tani Jack Flert, he lead the way for the Dodgers to shut out the Oakland Athletics tend to nothing. Tomorrow. It will be the final time the Dodgers and Athletics play here at the Oakland Coliseum, and River Ryan will be the last Dodgers starter ever to make us start here in the Oakland Coliseum. River Ryan will be making his third major league start tomorrow. He's one to know with an ERA of zero eighty two. This kid a lot. I could see him being a player for the Dodgers coming out of the bullpen in the postseason. He's going up against Oswaldo Beido, who is two and two with an ERA of five Morongo Casino. Dodgers on Deck begins at noon tomorrow with first pitch from the Oakland Coliseum at one oh seven with Tim Neverett and Rick Monday. Rick Monday, by the way, the first ever Athletic to homer in this stadium when they move from Kansas City. So uh, hopefully Rick Monday makes it down to home plate just to visualize his home run that he said he hit to left field. So more history surrounding our very own Rick Monday, the first ever Oakland athletic to Homer in this stadium. As at the end of this year, that will be it for the A's unfortunately in Oakland. Maybe something will change between now and then, but it doesn't seem likely. Thanks to Colin Ee back at our Burbank studios, Thanks Dwayne McDonald out here at the Oakland Coliseum, and thanks to you for listening. In case you missed any of the show, you can find it on the iHeartRadio app and that's where we had our pregame conversation with former Oakland Athletic reliever Blake Trine, who pitched a scoreless eighth inning tonight for the Dodgers. Once again, the final score tonight from Oakland. The Dodgers shut out the A's ten to nothing. Have a great rest of your night see them
Speaker 11: Send