Speaker 1: It's time for coffee and company fueled by Thornton's on Sports Talk seven ninety.
Speaker 2: Holy crap, I don't know.
Speaker 1: Who the hell we think when we are get off our show, idiot.
Speaker 3: The kids are playing to tailt countries.
Speaker 1: Are screwing it up. Gold play Inner Murals, Brother, gold Play Inner Murals.
Speaker 3: They're supposed to be mature adults, but they're really not.
Speaker 2: Who's the kid here?
Speaker 1: Who's the kid here?
Speaker 3: Are you kidding me?
Speaker 2: Now?
Speaker 1: Here's Nick Coffee?
Speaker 4: All right, Happy Friday, everybody, welcome in coffee and company fuel Bututh Thornton's here on Sports Talk seven ninety Nick Coffee, the travel chief himself, Austin Montgomery alongside as we will take you up till six o'clock on day two of the two day stretch that I believe is the best two days in all of sports. And I am here to tell you at three oh one that despite yesterday's emotional, really celebration of life for that team that we love so much, that came to an end.
Speaker 2: You know, that was a bummer.
Speaker 4: But I'm feeling really good today. And I don't know, and we'll never know, I guess, and I'm sure a lot.
Speaker 2: Of you don't give a damn. But I have.
Speaker 4: Already kind of processed what played out yesterday, and I mean, I still I'm not happy that it happened, but I just have a feeling about this team in this season that even though it did fall short of what a lot of people expected, and even though you know, the seed line was certainly questionable, even who you played, their seed line was certainly questionable. I just I think that it being such a nice jolt of life for us as Louisville basketball fans as well as just even though they did fall short and didn't play great and could have played better, but I think we all know deep down Creighton was better, and to look at this season and this team specifically, even yesterday's game alone, it's just hard for me to have those feelings of, Man, I'm so disappointed. I mean, I'm disappointed in the result and that it's over, but I don't I still feel nothing but love for this team overall. And we went on the airs shortly after the game ended. I mean it was basically almost right after it ended. So I played some sound for you yesterday. Pat Kelsey talking about his technical foul as well as Terrence Edward Junior just talking about kind of what this season meant for him in his one year at Louisville, and then you know, I got to hear a lot more of it after the fact, and it just it just solidified what I thought what happened, meaning, no matter what happens in the tournament, gonna be hard for me to not have a great appreciation for the season as well as these guys who not only helped us come back to life and put together a successful season. And look, you could talk about, well, what did it mean? The ACC stinks, you know, and you're right, the ACC does stink, but it also kind of worked out well for us because we won a lot of games. A lot of games. I mean in twenty twenty five, Louisville went I mean they lost one game. I mean when January started, Louisville lost to Georgia Tech to Duke, and then I guess the third game would have been yesterday. So it's not even about like, you know, how good was Louisville Really, I honestly don't care, because we took advantage of the league being what it was, and who knows, maybe if the league was better, Louisville still would have had the same record. We'll never know, but I think it's two things. One, just the circumstance surrounding like our whole last three four years for Louisville. But I think the reason I'm here twenty four hours removed from devastation and feeling good. I mean, there's a lot of things. One, I love the NTAA Tournament, but also you know, like I had to learn how to enjoy these two days without a team even in the field for six straight years. And I guess in twenty seventeen Louisville did enter the Big Dance with expectation.
Speaker 2: You were a two seed, had.
Speaker 4: Donovan, Mitchell, Ray Spaulding, Ding Adel q Snyder. I mean that Jalen Johnson, that team should have gone further, to be honest with you. But nonetheless, like the six year drought, I didn't even know this until yesterday, Louisville missing the tournament six straight years. It matched the longest drought they've ever had with the tournament appearance. And I think the last time they did it was in the fifties, and then they only put sixteen teams in the field, So like making the tournament wasn't any I mean, it was they put sixteen teams in so without really fully realizing it in the moment, I just we had to get used to just enjoying an experience. Maybe enjoying is not the same thing, but like experiencing college Basketball's tournament without Louisville in it, like it or not, it six years without it all make you just at least get used to not having it. So everything that led up to yesterday was great. The result, of course, was not. But I still think I mean, I mean, it's nice to be able to know that despite it being over, you clearly we're ahead of sched you are ahead of schedule, and there's a lot of reason to be optimistic and excited about the future of Louisville basketball.
Speaker 2: All right again, it's coffee and company.
Speaker 4: Feel about Thornton's here on Sports Talk seven ninety What a day we have had thus far and yesterday overall. I mean, I think right now, the biggest takeaway I have as we speak at three to oh six is that we are roughly I mean, there's still many games to take place later today. I mean, we've got so first days in the books. You've had three games. I guess only only two games have concluded, it looks like, why are they not showing the bag?
Speaker 2: Yeah, so.
Speaker 4: One game is over and that's Baylor Mississippi State and Alabama just won, and then you've got other games that are you know, ongoing. You know, we're about to start. So we're at least like sixty to sixty five percent of the way through the round of sixty four and we have no Cinderella yet. And that's not a bad thing, I don't think. But I'm looking at the rest of this of the these you know, of the of the day, and I don't know if we're going to get it all. Still, let me ask you this, what would you classify as a Cinderella?
Speaker 2: Like what would you say? Is like, oh, can you believe it?
Speaker 4: Because I feel like it's got to be like a fourteen seed thirteen.
Speaker 5: To sixteen, right, you know. I was going to ask, like, well, what do you consider Cinderella? But like, are we really considering, like these states a twelve seeds really a Cinderella anymore? Maybe if they go like to the eight seed. But I think the term Cinderella has been overused to where it now has to be a fourteen or above to really shock you, because no one's shocked by the thirteen or or maybe even the twelve winning, so Queens will get to the fourteens. And McNeice is a good is a good I think.
Speaker 4: I mean, they're clearly the biggest upset as far as seed line thus far in the tournament, but they're not. I mean, they're they're They're coached by Will Wade, who built his team with a lot of guys who've already played either in a tournament game or for a power program.
Speaker 2: So technically they're.
Speaker 4: The biggest upset, but I don't think they like the fact that they've been on the radar for the last couple of years because of the Will Wade situation. Certainly, they pulled off a big win, and they are the biggest upset thus far, but I don't feel like I mean, I didn't see a ton of people predicting Clemson to lose that game, But I don't believe it's because they were confident in Clemson. I think it was because they just assumed, well, this guy's already taken a job elsewhere, so they're gonna, you know, mail it in. But as I expected yesterday, I mean, I don't know if I mentioned yesterday the day before, I think that the Will Wade situation, it played out well for these guys because with where we are now in college basketball, Will Wade, like he actually has said it, he's done a lot of interviews and he's been made it clear like he's leaving McNeese State. Clearly they know that by now. But as far as the players, it's not a level of devastation. I can't believe this guy's bailing on us. He sold them on this, He sold his guys come here show, and you know, if I don't leave, you're gonna do well enough where you can go to a Power five. If I do well enough, we'll ride together. And you can tell that like that's the like, there's not any level of distraction or sadness from the program. Now the fans, it's a different story. And I don't even know how many McNeese State fans are out there, but I'm just saying, like, with.
Speaker 2: All that said that that is.
Speaker 4: The biggest upset, but also feel like there are reasons for it being different. I think had McNee State been who they are and they and there wasn't the component, which I guess that would kind of take it away.
Speaker 5: They were the popular pick, though I've heard a lot of it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, they were.
Speaker 4: And the reason that it didn't didn't get as much hype as you would have expected is because there were people thinking, well, hey, this team has nothing to play for. Their coach is already gone. But again, when you and that's what you mean, if you are coaching in a lower level conference, I mean maybe even like true mid major, right, like mid major is Dayton and the mid majors that have had success, are their coaches comfortable enough to sell come here, use us to go higher because you've done enough in your history as a program to where those things can happen with you, right like Dayton's made Elite eight Sweet sixteen's Saint Mary's. I don't really know how far they've gone on the tournament, but they've been successful, right, I mean, I just think that if you were, you know, if you just if you're just trying to sell a kid on why they should come to you at a high school, it should be hey, you're going to get opportunity here and where you think you can play. Right now, they're not going to give a freshman an opportunity because you're not a McDonald's American, So come here and you will use this as a platform to go off for seventeen a night and then you'll get that interest like that would be a wise thing to do. But then again, coaches are basically realizing I'm renting players. But you also have to realize where you stand on the food chain, so you know, overall, I just think McNeese State is a good example of like where we are right now in.
Speaker 2: College basketball, because well, Wade, he'd be a fraud to try.
Speaker 4: To act like it to his team that he's not going to get out of there as soon as he can for a good job, and it sounds as if it's already done. He's going to den Cea State, And I wouldn't be shocked if a handful of those players, maybe more than a handful, end up following him de NC State, which same thing happened like last night Drake beat Missouri. Missouri never led in that game, really never felt like they were gonna win, like they trailed the whole time. And Drake is built off of Ben McCollum's D two team. They're four starters. Four of their five starters are guys who started for him at the D two level last year, and I mean, we're seeing it right before our eyes. Drake's an example, and I think McNeice is an example of Look, if you want to at least get there and have a chan because coaches can use this too, right, like if you are building your roster with like because here's the thing.
Speaker 2: If you are able.
Speaker 4: To sort of I guess, exist and thrive in this world where you have a good player at the mid major, they're leaving right because they're gonna get more money. If you can just at least accept that and embrace kind of where you stand in the mix of it to where hey, I'm gonna turn over my roster more than anybody because we're gonna have good players. We're gonna be good and they're gonna leave.
Speaker 3: Well.
Speaker 4: I feel like you being able to showcase that you are able to do that and still succeed that would make I think a higher level job be more attracted to you as a coach because they realize, Hey, in this ever changing landscape, this guy's already he's already had to deal with it and he's still succeeding.
Speaker 2: And who knows.
Speaker 4: You know, if you're at Akron and you're losing your best player to a high level program via the transfer portal, makes total sense. Well, if that same players is played for that coach at a Power five job, there's going to be more resources to where they're they're more inclined to stay. So I don't know, that's an observation I've made within the first day, and some change of the tournament that you know just stands out to wear it. Because again, in any other situation, had will Wade not been the Will Wade we knew from his previous stints at bcun LSU and as well as you know him in those strong ass offers, if he was just some up and comer, I think it would have been devastating to those guys that play for Nicknice because they'd be thinking, oh man, he sold us on us and the dream, and now he's leaving us. The guys who were playing for Will Wade, who had a thirty one to thirteen lead against Clemson yesterday, they came there knowing the situation.
Speaker 2: They were well aware of what was going on.
Speaker 4: Right other than that, I mean outside of I mean, if you look at yesterday's results, I mean I get I mean Michigan had a close call against UC San Diego, but they pulled it out Texas Tech. They won by double digits. I mean, I think, honestly the biggest. I mean, I guess technically eleven over six as an upset, but like I picked, I picked Drake to go to the Sweet sixteen because Missouri, among a few other teams that have already lost, I can't say they didn't belong in the tournament because the resume is what it is. But I mean I talked about it for at least the last couple of weeks. The SEC is the best league, the deepest league, deserved the most teams in the tournament. But there were teams that, you know, got a seed that was that was influenced by their affiliation with the league. And I'm not even saying it's because of like, hey, we're just gonna give them the benefit of the doubt, because of the of their league. The formulas, the numbers gave them the benefit of the doubt because they just simply had You know, if you have no bad losses and you did steal some wins against the really good teams, you're gonna be fine. But the SECS, in my opinion right now, the teams that are the most dangerous in the NCAA Tournament from the SEC, it's Florida number one. I'm still including Auburn, and I would say Tennessee just based off of their pedigree, but they've also proven to be vulnerable everybody else outside of that, like, any loss wouldn't shock me for them. I mean, Missouri down. They never had a lead against Drake Baylor, played with their food a little bit and made it closer than it needed to be, but they beat Mississippi State, Texas lost in the first four. Who else is it? I feel like there's another the SEC is of now it looks like it's four and four. I don't know where the other losses are, and we got time to.
Speaker 2: Get through it throughout the day.
Speaker 4: But in no way am I saying the SEC was a fraud and completely overrated. But there were big differences in all of the of the fourteen that got in, and I think there were wide gaps as well.
Speaker 2: So let's do this.
Speaker 4: Let's get to our first break a little earlier than usual, because one, I do need to do a better job of clock management right keeping us on track. Also clock management, okay, but also I gotta get a bed in real quick before before oh before I lose I lose the ability to lock in at what we're getting. So that's that's really the biggest series. Yeah, all right, stick with us. We'll take you up till six o'clock and we're enjoying day two here of the round of sixty four. It's Coffee and Company fuel about Thornton's on Sports Talk seven ninety.
Speaker 2: I'm knocking my door. I'm going this fool in the club. I don't see it before Freedom.
Speaker 1: Now back to Coffee and Company, fueled by Thornton's on Sports Talk seven nine day.
Speaker 2: I don't know this song, but is that John Cena?
Speaker 5: It sure is the hell seen a spit bars Sons just like New Old what he actually came out with like a rap album back in like two thousand and six seven when he got like his first big push, and this is on there always of course you know.
Speaker 2: Your boy, but what reminds you this song?
Speaker 5: Uh, it kind of just started making waves a little bit, like in the wrestling community because apparently someone that was really close to John Cena's like friend the producer on this whole album, the trademark was said that someone had pulled up to him because he uh put it put held him at endpoint because they were he was sleeping with his.
Speaker 2: With that dude's ex. Yeah, that'll do it.
Speaker 5: And that ax happened to be an old ov w alum and someone that's really big in the wrestling.
Speaker 2: What's her name?
Speaker 5: It's Victoria, Oh, Lisa Marie. I think I think it's so yeah, Victoria is really really huge. And that's just like speculation. I don't know if it's true, but it seems like it all played back that I guess that guy just went.
Speaker 4: On and that's and that's how that world works is when you truly can see both sides of it potentially being a work or it being not sure.
Speaker 2: That's what gets every side.
Speaker 4: So it gets all sides, you know, kind of thinking, you know, interested to kind of because they want to know, like I'm intrigued is this? You know?
Speaker 2: So anyways, good stuff. I love when you play.
Speaker 4: Songs that like nobody knows what it is or a lot of people wouldn't because then because people are like wait a second, like I kind of you know. The one thing that really really sucks for us is that we can't have any music on the podcast, Yes, because that.
Speaker 2: Like hate character on the show.
Speaker 4: Yes, yes, And I hate to act as if you know, the show is dependent upon the thirty seconds of audio you hear when we come back from break, but it, you know, sometimes it leads a segment, which that's what I think is the best I mean at best radio.
Speaker 2: Well, and that's and that's where Talk radio Live is.
Speaker 4: In a different realm than what you get from a podcast, is that there's at least element of you know, I shouldn't say better or worse, but when you are live like there, it's there's it's a different listen I.
Speaker 2: Think, you know what I mean.
Speaker 4: So oh absolutely, So with that said, when we do end up kind of you know, taking conversations in a certain direction for the most part, you know, you could be a podcast listener and here hear our conversation and and and be totally you know, know what we're talking about, right, like you don't have to necessarily hear it. But then like, as I'm just thinking about podcast listeners right now.
Speaker 2: Who who are thinking?
Speaker 4: Okay, well he talked about a John Cena song but I didn't hear it. But anyways, it's coffee and company. We're feel about Thornton's here on Sports Talk seven ninety and at coffee that's me. We've got the travel chief in the house as always, and we've got a close game here between Memphis and Colorado State. So I have a three leg parlay riding. First two legs are complete. I had Baylor money line as an underdog, slight underdog. I had Ioways State to cover. I didn't take the I just I looked at the Atlantic which is where Lipscom played, and they were I mean, they're a good team. They were competitive early. But even though they you know, they got four guys that shoot it right around forty percent from three, the analytics did say that the best play would have been to take them to cover plus fourteen and a half.
Speaker 2: There's just a different world.
Speaker 4: In the Big twelve in the Atlantic Sun, and I just think the Atlantic Sun, to be honest with you, ever getting anything better than a fifteen seed is probably an injustice to them, because that's just again, they are one of maybe three or four Division one leagues in basketball that lose members to go to a better conference. So then they're bringing in I mean, that's where Bellman plays. They bring in Division two programs. So you know, I didn't love it, but I just felt like I can't. I just think that there's clearly a different world to these two teams. And I always state did not finish strong the Big twelve. I don't think they've looked great in the tournament, but that one did play out for me. But now I just need I need Memphis to win in order for me to cash this three leg parlay. And it's tied forty eight apiece with fourteen minutes left. Some other scores early on, We've got Duke up twenty four to nine in their game against Mount Saint Mary's. I think, yeah, we've got about the under twelve just hitting Duke's up twenty four to nine.
Speaker 2: Other scores, let's see.
Speaker 4: I think I've mentioned all those that have concluded because we have, yeah.
Speaker 2: The games that are over. That's Alabama.
Speaker 4: I'd mentioned it earlier, but Alabama ninety to eighty one over Robert Morris. I mean that was that was a close game. I mean they were like Alabama needed the final segment of that game, meaning that you know, the under the under fourteen or whatever, I'm sorry, the under four They needed that segment of the game to close that out and win by nine, because it was it was neck and neck, it was it was a very competitive game. And Alabama is a team that I don't look at at that and say, well, they're not really worthy of a two seed, They're not that good, because really, this is this is very much the same team that Natoates took to a Final four last year. And I just think it's it's it's it's confirmation that they are unpredictable to an extent. And that's why I don't even know Alabama is the one team and like the in the ones and two, in the one and two lines that I feel the least confident in betting in because nothing would surprise me. And today's result against Robert Morris confirmed that, Like, they're very hard to predict.
Speaker 2: Saint Mary's and Vandy is just tipping off.
Speaker 4: No score yet, and uh yeah, I think we're I think we're caught up.
Speaker 2: So let's let's go back to yesterday.
Speaker 4: So when we wrapped up the show, I guess you know, you had some games that went final b YU was getting past VCU, Auburn ended up pulling ahead and and pulling away from our Alabama state.
Speaker 2: You also had Gonzaga.
Speaker 4: They mean they kicked George's ass, and I don't even think the score was as close as what you're seeing here. The game wasn't as close as the score indicates, as you've heard before, I'm sure. And then also the McNeese game, same thing. I mean, Clemson give them credit for clawing back, but they were done thirty one to thirteen, and then of course ended up losing sixty nine to sixty seven. So the rest of the day you had, I'd say, I mean, as far as like the big surprise, I would imagine that the Drake over Missouri is a big surprise unless people are paying attention because Drake's a good team and Missouri, I just think they're one of the SEC teams that I can't tell you that they didn't deserve their seed because their resume.
Speaker 2: That's what it's all about. Your body. You work your resume, and they deserve the SUC seed. But they weren't.
Speaker 4: I think you know, they they were getting Again, it's hard for me to I'm going to contradict myself litle bit here because I feel like there was some level of benefit of the doubt. But maybe if the committee, you know, does their job. They don't think about that. They're just looking at Okay, I don't care how bad they've been playing lately. I don't care, you know, if their wins. You know, if you just if you know ball and you know teams, you can look at the metrics and understand why it is the way it is, but also just kind of know. And to me, Missouri is one of the teams along with Texas A and M, along with Mississippi State.
Speaker 2: Who else is there out there?
Speaker 4: Like they're not bad teams, but the thought of them just being able to lie, you know, them being able to roll to the round of thirty two just because they're in the SEC, I don't think that if anybody who looked at it that way, I you know, clearly the SEC at the top deserves been that out. But then there were teams that I just didn't really buy. Now one team that I didn't buy that did win yesterday was Arkansas. So we now have and I think that's the biggest takeaway from day one. We're gonna get Rick Patino and John Caliperry in the second round. Arkansas versus Saint John's now Saint John's ended up winning about but they did have a close call early. They were only up I think five and half. And for what it's worth, if you've not followed Saint John's closely, they.
Speaker 2: This is what they do.
Speaker 4: They they they kind it's like at the beginning of a boxing fight when they're like they're like trying to, you know, feel out their opponent, and then they and then they get right and then they bury them. That's really what they did in Biggies Play all year, and that's what they did yesterday at Omaha. So if I mean, I mean, look, I don't know. This is tomorrow, tomorrow's matchup between these two teams, I have no clue what to do. Because rick Patino just i mean his team in general, him as a coach, I'm thinking it's a no brainer, Like.
Speaker 2: You take Ricky p He's got the better squad.
Speaker 4: However, Arkansas yesterday specifically like they just got they they got dudes, they got talent, and they and Cali will always have that. So, I mean, I haven't even seen a spread for that just yet. I'm sure we have one. I haven't even looked. When I'm looking at the Fandel sportsbook, I'm looking at you know, what's what's out there right now. But let's see for tomorrow Saint John's. Let's see, have you seen a spread yet for this one, Austin, Because no, I haven't looked though, So Saint John's tomorrow is six and a half point favorites against Arkansas. You know, gun to my head, I got to take Arkansas to cover the six and a half because I mean, they just beat Kansas and they were better. And I know the Big East is certainly, you know, a decent league at best, and Rick's a great coach, and they've got they've got their big who's really played well. I always forget his name, obviously R J. Luis was a second team All American. But cal against Rick, who's had I mean, like the amount of wins that Caliperry has against Rick Bettino in the last however many times they've played. I mean, it's insane. And I know it's a different situation now, but it's also kind of not like like Rick had teams and I think he had and it doesn't and it's it's it's not even worth debating because there's no way to prove anybody wrong. And we're talking many many years ago. But there were there were a handful of times where Louisville didn't go up against Kentucky where it was it was so obvious that what are you going to do? They're just so good, but their their elite talent that Cali Perry had always seemed to play up in those moments because of the moment, just like they did when they went to Upperna earlier this season, and in that game, it never felt like Kentucky was winning that one.
Speaker 2: So what Cali Perry has to work with.
Speaker 4: They'll fall asleep at the wheel and lose to teams or just play poorly against their competition. But like in these moments, like Calip Perry, you know, his guy's feet off of him right, His Arkansas players, his Kentucky players, they knew how big of a deal it was for Hal in those games. And here's what's crazy. It wasn't even about the Kentucky players realizing. I mean, they knew Louisville was the rival and they wanted to continue to dominate the rivalry. However, they could sense that for cal he wanted to dominate Ripettino just like just like Cal went like there was no kid the the the emotional component in that Arkansas Kentucky game in February.
Speaker 2: I think it was when it happened February first.
Speaker 4: So the only thing there was was from Cal him wanting to go back home or go back to Kentucky and show them what they missed. His players had that edge to them, whereas Kentucky, I mean it was I don't think they were shell shocked. It was kind of mean, but that they don't know Cal. Everybody on the Kentucky roster has never met John Caliperry. They don't have any feel. They just it's another game to them. So I just think this is this is set up to where Arkansas and Cali Perry, the matchup gives them, I think their highest ceiling for you know what, a nine seed to get to the round of thirty two, because if they were playing other two seeds, like if it was if it was Arkansas versus Tennessee, if it was I mean, who are the other twos out there? Arkansas versus Alabama, Arkansas against I don't know why I can't seem to find the other. I need to pull up my bracket here. Yeah, so regardless, you get you get my point. If it was Houston who was a two seed. I just don't think there would be the ability to get them as as amped. It' look, they could be amped and still lose and not cover because you know, Saint John's has been a good team. But I just feel like if there's ever if there's ever a time to give Cal the benefit of the doubt, it's this because of the magnitude of the game and when you watch them do what they did to Kansas, despite Kansas clearly being the biggest underachiever of the season. It was also because Arkansas has some dudes, like they got players and Boogie flans back. He didn't even really get comfortable in that game. But it really reminded me of a Kentucky team last night watching Arkansas because it's March, and yeah, there's a lot of young talent, but you can also see.
Speaker 2: Why these guys they didn't even need to score.
Speaker 4: A point to still be on the NBA radar because they're just I mean, that's what Cal does. He gets the young talent, and you know, his his best case scenario is that they you know, they're ready to play right away, but sometimes when they're not, they still can pull through.
Speaker 2: Late.
Speaker 4: Now, Cal's coaching as far as like the x's and o's has always been sort of a question mark when it comes to, you know, in March especially.
Speaker 2: But I don't know.
Speaker 4: I kind of wonder if if in the last two out of three tournament trips he had of Kentucky when they fell short and they got upset by Oakland and Saint Mary's.
Speaker 2: I mean, I just, I mean, I don't really know. I mean, I don't really know what.
Speaker 4: You would say was the biggest factor in how those upsets happened. But I just think Arkansas is gonna be lose tomorrow and it feels weird and actually kind of grows, but I kind of feel like I'm gonna take Arkansas to cover.
Speaker 2: That's just me though. All right, let's uh, let's make a great point.
Speaker 5: That was that was great.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but I mean it's gonna feel dirty, isn't it?
Speaker 1: Sure?
Speaker 5: You know, But how many times I basically put a bow on it, like you said, how many times did it feel like Louisville had a legit team like Saint John's does right now under Rick going against like that type of team that Cali Ferry has.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I just I just find myself looking at our looking at Saint John's in a way kind of like I did some other Louisville teams. Good college players, great team, legendary coach, but overall talent as far as just like what dudes can do Arkansas has. I mean, they've got they got better talent when it comes to the ceiling. And that's the toughest thing to gamble on, right like will it will it?
Speaker 2: You know, will it prevail?
Speaker 4: But if all they got to do is lose by less than seven, I kind of like Arkansas.
Speaker 2: All right, quick break, we'll come back on the other side.
Speaker 4: We're going to welcome in our buddy Jeff Milby, and we'll wrap up at three o'clock hour with that conversation.
Speaker 2: Also continue to keep you updated.
Speaker 4: I'm sure a lot of you are listening, and really we're background noise today because you're watching games, watching ball. I get it, totally understandable. Best two days of the year, no doubt. It's coffee and the company. Feel about Thornes right here on Sports Talk seven.
Speaker 1: Ninety Now back to coffee and company, fueled by Thornton's on Sports Talk seven nine.
Speaker 4: Day, it looks as if Colorado State is burying Memphis and it's a ten point deficit, I think just under eight minutes left and Kaya and Evans for Colorado State. He's six of seven from three. That'll I mean, that'll do it. Somebody's six of seven from three. I would imagine it'd be tough to envision a scenario where it wouldn't be a big run for his team and they would be pulling away.
Speaker 2: So we'll see what shakes out.
Speaker 4: But it's time for our weekly conversation with one and only mister Jeff Milby, who joins us to talk some Racing Louisville soccer.
Speaker 2: How are we doing, Jeff?
Speaker 3: Thanks are good, Nick. My bracket is busted, but my spirits are high.
Speaker 2: You're not alone.
Speaker 4: Every bracket, I think at this point, maybe other than a select few of the billions, seemingly they get filled out or not looking not looking great at this point. And I saw some of the social media content from the soccer clubs here, Racing Lowell and louis City FC, and I saw final four picks from some of the players you would know better than most. How familiar are the players sort of with college hoops? And I mean I would imagine there's probably some newcomers to the roster or maybe even you know, maybe not this year, but even last season that are maybe learning like, Okay, these people are kind of crazy around here about college basketball.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 3: That's that's been part of the conversation over the last week between me and the players and the coaches on both sides, explaining just how serious we are about our college basketball here in Louisville, Canay. Yeah, there are definitely some basketball fans on both sides, for the men and the women. I would admit to you, I think there are probably more of the men's players that follow basketball a little bit more closely than some of the women's players do. But we've got a UK grab the captain for racing, Aaron Wright played at UK. She's a UK Hall of Famer, so I saw that she had picked the Cats to go all the way. And we've got a UFL guy on the men's team as well, a rookie just signed this year for his first professional contract. Josh Jones played at uf L the last four years, was the captain for u of L the last three and I know he's repping his cards. So we've definitely got some people on both sides of the building, on the men's side and the women's side that are plugged in the NTAA tournament this week for sure.
Speaker 4: Well, if you played it, played soccer at Kentucky or Louisville, even if you're not following it closely, you're well aware of how big of a deal it is in this state, no doubt about it. So when it comes to the opener last week, it was a draw. And I've learned as I get more acclimated with the sport of soccer than draws can be viewed drastically differently, I guess, depending upon opponent, depending upon situation. What did you take from the draw from Racing lou last week to get the season started?
Speaker 3: Listen, Nick, you just nailed it. You sounded like a true soccer head with that sick right there.
Speaker 2: Do you hear that, folks, I'm learning.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I'm telling you he's picking it up. Yeah. Last week look a one one time for racing at home, But afterward it felt like a win. It was one of those ties that everybody came away encouraged, and it's for multiple reasons. One, they were facing a team in North Carolina that they've just over their four year history. Prior to this year, North Carolina has owned Racing Louisville. The all time series was ten to one. There were like lopsided five nothing losses by Racing to North Carolina in there so, the fact that they were able to get a result, get a point point that I against North Carolina was encouraging. But what was mostly encouraging what everybody was so excited about and talking about afterward, be it the people in the press box or the people down on the field and the coaching staff, was how this Racing Louisville team went out and played, particularly in the first half of that game. I can't on here last week and talk to you Nick about this team changing their style of play a little bit in the offseason, becoming a team that's gonna press, that's gonna work, that's going to be getting after and putting pressure on the opposing team in their half of the field by the opposing team's goal. It's it's a full court press, but on a soccer field is the way that this team is going to play, and that was on display. They executed the game plan to a tee, especially in that first half. The second half kind of the energy went a little bit. They're still trying to learn who their depth pieces are off the bench so that they can keep that energy high through the whole game. But that first half was really encouraging and really really exciting at times. Racing Louisville was on the hut for the ball, just chasing in numbers after the ball, really pinning Carolina deep in their in by in the corner a few times. They were able to generate few turnovers, which is what their mo is going to be this year, is turning you over in your half of the field and generating scoring opportunities from that. And then they were able to also score in the first half off of a corner kick. Em the Sears, who is a bright young star for this team, had multiple appearances of the US women's national team over the offseason. She got on the end of the ball on a corner kick assisted by Aaron Right, the UK player that I just mentioned a moment ago to get Racing Louisville on the board. And and like you said, not every tie is encouraging, this one certainly was, and I think there's some some real reasons for optimism for this team here in twenty twenty five, as they look to break into the postseason for the first time.
Speaker 4: Yeah, so being competitive against a club that has really had your number for a while is certainly a good sun. But you mentioning just that, I guess what was sold as far as the difference in leadership with a new coach being hired and really just kind of a different approach as far as how this club's going to take the field, how they're going to carry themselves. I mean, it sounds as if that's really the biggest win, because you know, as we talked about last week, when you are an expansion team, it's very rare that you see success early on, really at any level. I mean, it wouldn't be a shocker if if it takes an expansion club to to to take you know, it takes them a lot longer to cut their teeth than than I think the average fan would expect. But it sounds like as far as the leadership from the top, the new hire, I mean, that seems to be infectious as if it's not just the club as far as what you're seeing on the field. You mentioned your crew, the guys you work with, the staff, but I mean it sounds like fans can sense that as well.
Speaker 3: Yeah, absolutely, and the way that the team saw the way that Bevan as the second year head coach talks in the post game, and the players in the post game as well. This is a close knit bunch. The culture is strong, and that is part of having a coach in her second year, not only with this organization, with this team, with this club, but this is a second year head coach period. Last year was her her rookie year as a coach, as a head coach at any level. So everybody's continuing to learn, continuing to grow, continuing to develop, and this group is together both on and off the field. I was talking about that playing style Nick being together. When you're going to be having to be a pressing team and get high up the field, you've got to be together when when one player presses, everybody's got a press with her, so that they're all on the same page and not getting pulled apart. And they display that on the field last week and certainly after the game in the postgame conversation with the media. This team really believes in one another and is really together, really close knit. So that is going to be a fun thing to watch, I think for fans is watching this team compete together as opposed to competing separately like we've maybe seen in years past. This is going to be a bunch that has lockstep with each other all year long. We hope and expect based on what they've said and what I'll also say, Nick about this Racing Louisville team and organization and club. You know, you and I have talked about it being an expansion team and an uphill battle. As an expansion team, We're just slat out going to be an underdog in this league. And this is what I can't stress enough to anybody listening who isn't plugged into the soccer scene every week and maybe says women's soccer, who cares? I'm not interested in that. This is why you should care. Racing Louisville gets slandered in the national media, and when I say Racing people, I'm also including including our city. People look at us as an outsider to this league because you're going up against markets like New York, Chicago, La San Diego, Houston, Seattle, Washington. Boston's coming into the league next year, Denver's coming into the league next year, and the media looks at the city of Louisville as a team in a city that isn't necessarily deserving of being in this club belong absolutely, And what I'm saying is this, this organization is an underdog organization, and that is how we need to start framing it, I think, to the public, and also how the public ought to buy in because we're representing our city on a national stage against the big boys of sports, all these big markets, these major media markets. And I'm telling you, Nick, there is a national media ecosystem that covers the National Women's Soccer League. Podcasts, ESPN dot com does a good job of covering it. The Athletic does a good job of covering it, and they they slender Louisville repeatedly. And the offseason somebody said, nobody wants to go to Louisville. One of the podcasts that covers the league, talking about free agency, said nobody wants to go to Louisville. It's just face it, the small city in Kentucky. Nobody wants to go there. There was another podcast in the preseason that said, is race Louisville going to make the playoffs? Well, only if they expand the playoffs, and they all laughed about it. I mean, they're laughing about us because we are that kind of underdog in this league.
Speaker 2: That's fuel right there.
Speaker 3: Everybody out there listening, that's exactly my sales pitch. Anybody out there who is from Louisville loves the city of Louisville like I know you and I do, would be to get behind this team because this is our opportunity to show everybody around the country that Louisville is a worthwhile place deserving us something like this. And I think we got the team to maybe do that this year.
Speaker 4: Nick Well, I love it because if the success, if it starts to happen, you know, that'll that'll definitely, you know, get more attention on what they're doing, and then and then there'll be more people aware of how we can embrace this. Hey, it's us against everybody, which I feel like, you know, maybe sometimes it's a little bit overblown, but maybe sometimes it's because you know, we're willing to put the chip on the shoulder and use anything to motivate us here. And you got to be fired up thinking about that because I didn't realize some of those things that were said and and and you know that Louis's great, and we'll show you all we're great.
Speaker 2: That's that's kind of you know.
Speaker 4: I think that's a good way to pitch it out there to folks that maybe aren't as plugged into what's going on with the club. But I know the next couple of weeks there'll be games on the road, but obviously you guys are building up for the big one that's April to twelfth, that is the.
Speaker 2: Thunder game at Lynn Stadium.
Speaker 4: Tell us once again with the best way for folks to get more information and get tickets to experience what awesome we have, awesome event we have here with Thunder of a Loive, but also get to see it at Lynn Family Stadium. I can't imagine there'll be a better spot to watch it.
Speaker 3: No, there certainly will not be a better spot to watch it. And you get the dual entertainment of you get to see the air show from your seats, but also get to watch the soccer game from your seats as well. Racing taking on the Washington spirit, they've got a young star named Trinity Rodman. That's Dennis Rodman's daughter. Really talented, really talented young player in the league. So it's an exciting matchup. First of all, on the field, the head to racinglufc dot com slash Thunder racingloufc dot com slash Thunder. We're expecting a record crowd. Last year was eleven three and sixty five most fans to ever see a Racing Louisville game here in Louisville on hand for that one. We're expecting to beat that number this year, get twelve, thirteen thousand, hopefully a few more than that in the building. So it's going to be a memorable day. And I said this last time I talked to you. If you're out there and you're thinking, hey, I want to go check out a game I'd like.
Speaker 2: To go see again, this is the one to do it right heat.
Speaker 3: Stadium all the time. This is the one to come to. I mean, in addition to the playoff game that we're going to host at the end of the year, because I'm I'm spreading the optimism around, but for the regular season, if you're only picking one, this is it. So head to racinglufc dot com slash Thunder to get your seat. That's going to be an annual tradition that we hope to continue on. Last year, they won five to one on thunder Day, so hopefully they get some of that mojo again here coming up on April twelve.
Speaker 4: Jeff, you are the man who is always appreciate your time. Keep up the great work and we'll talk to you soon.
Speaker 3: Brother, Yes, sir, appreciate you.
Speaker 2: Nick all right, take care.
Speaker 4: Of that is Jeff Melby, guy who clearly is uh, I mean, he's plugged in, he works for the club, he knows I love his pitch. As far as why we should just if you're not somebody who is really that interested or that familiar with soccer, but you love Louisville, they're talking reckless about us apparently.
Speaker 2: I mean, I'm ready to. I'm ready to right now. Good stuff.
Speaker 4: Jeff Milby exactly all right, two hours left, stick around right here on Sports Talk seven ninety m m hm