Speaker 1: I like Madonna as much as the next guy. Don't get me wrong. This might be the Is this the first Madonna track we've ever played in the history of the show. I'm not sure we've had a single other Madonna track.
Speaker 2: That might be a good question. You might be right on them.
Speaker 1: I know why you're doing it because our guys hopping on. Guy Holliday a long time college football coach, friend of the show. But it's been a number of years. Guy, how are you, sir? How you been been too long?
Speaker 3: I'm doing great. It's been a long time. How are you doing.
Speaker 1: I'm well, let's just get a life update. Of course, we know you from your time in our state, both with Brigham Young and the University of Utah. Is a high level coach. What what's coach Holiday.
Speaker 2: Up to these days?
Speaker 3: Well, I opened up a training facility in Phoenix twenty six thousand square feet and we train athletes all the way from eight years old up to several professional players.
Speaker 2: Oh good for you.
Speaker 1: So, I guess, as they say, when you actually become a coach and you do it a high level, it's hard to quit that life. Is that something you always want to do? To continue to develop young people and teach them about both football and life.
Speaker 3: Yeah, you know, I did, I do, I still do. I had an opportunity to get back into the college games, several opportunities that just you know, and that and that game. It's all about who you work with, and then it's it's uh, it's maddening. Right now. I'm having a hard time wrapping my head around exactly all that goes on in college football world.
Speaker 1: And there's a lot that's going on in the college football world. Coach, and I do want to get your take on as much of as we can over the minutes that we have with you. And I want to start with the news that a guy you know really well in Kyle Whittingham, will be back on the sidelines for the University of Utah for a year twenty one. A lot of rumors about whether or not coach Wit would set aside as you know guy, but he has decided to come back.
Speaker 2: What do you make of coach went back on the sideline.
Speaker 3: Well, I still have Wit and I probably talked once a month, so it wasn't it wasn't a surprise to me. I think if you know coach and know his personality, I think, you know, and I obviously he didn't tell me this or I didn't hear this from anybody, but watching that, I watched him here at the Arizona State, got a chance to spend some time with him when he was here. And man, when I watched the BYU game, and you know, to turnout of the game, I never, for once start Kyle Whittingham wouldn't retire. And then watching even the Colorado game, the double reverse for the touchdown and the closing minutes. So there's no way which wanted to go out like this. You know, I just know him the competitor, the fearst competitor he is, and I just he's accomplished too much to let his last year and legacy be affected by that, in my opinion.
Speaker 1: And I'm with you there, and you know a lot of people last offseason, Guy kind of surmised that if Utah football had the year that we all thought that they were going to have. I certainly did, and they certainly did too, maybe that would be enough for Kyle to hand the program over to Morgan. But of course it didn't work out this year the way any of us thought that Losing the streak is something we haven't seen around here in a long long time. So I would be remiss if I didn't take the opportunity to have you on the show to ask you. You know, of course there are the injuries number one to your quarterback, which you can't have. But what do you make of a season this year in the Big twelve for Utah football that not many people, if anybody, guys saw coming?
Speaker 3: Wow, things that happened. I think, you know, I've been in locker rooms as a player and as a coach, and I think one of one of the tough things about managing the whole pay to play situation and whatever you want to call it, revenue reimbursement, I could care less, but I think one of the toughest things about that is when players are getting paid and they aren't performing, whether it's injury, whether it's they aren't holding up there into the bargain and other players, you know, and even in the NFL, you can sense this. When when you aren't holding up your in it affects the locker room. And so I do think Cam getting injured affected their locker room. I think, you know, there's other players who were connected to Cam who were dependent on Cam, because today kids with so many people in their ear every time something like that happens. Yes, it affects the team, but now it's affecting them individually, you know, as far as having the ability as everybody is saying to get the bag or you know whatever, whatever those things are. Now it's affecting. It's affecting the programs on deeper levels. And then when you factor in you know, yeah, the transfer portal is great. I mean, we can go back and forth about is it positive, is it negatives, that's irrelevant. It's how you manage it. And so at this point you got to make sure it's not just a print. It's about getting right people in because talent will cause an overlook of a fact that include team chemistry, work ethic, and things of that nature that affect team chemistry, and just the over attitude of the player because now you're looking at players strictly for that monetary value, and when you're looking at monetary value, you're looking strictly at their output, and so that affects your team chemistry. And I think all of those things play play the role. And I think Cam getting hurt, I think when you now in the middle of it. I think the team, you know, went down the same path like the fans. Oh no, here we go again, and that that takes this toll. And now that you have the media and easily able to communicate with players, and players read social media consistently for the most part, all of those things bleed out into your program. And and you know, let's let's be honest. Utah's mantra was one of the reasons why I embraced it so much. We don't become you, you become us. It was, in my opinion, built the same way that the squad, well, my school, we sc it was built that way on toughness. And you know, it's just hard to maintain that and develop players. When the moment you develop a player, you got to pay to keep them. So all of those things are going to play a part. And let's be honest. Now, you got to be able to manage a roster that turns over thirty percent every year. Every year, you got to be able to manage that and it may turnover as much as forty to fifty percent. And no other level of sports do you encounter that, not even the NFL. Are you turning your roster thirty to forty percent.
Speaker 1: Every year, and it can't be sustained. Guy, it can't. And it's not the coach's fault. It's not the player's fault, it's not the administrator's fault. The blame is squarely on the NCAA who was thrown out of the Supreme Court four years ago and was told that they are a serial anti trust violator and they had to figure out a new model, and they just never did. But this is what we're left with, Guy, This model now, where the transfer portal is open during the season, it can't last. This is an unsustainable model where, to your point, you have to rebuild every year. In pro sports, the tough reality of a rebuild will manifest itself. But if you're doing your business right, that's once every decade or something. In college sports, in college football, it's being rebuilt every single year. Do you foresee any other route other than simply leaning into the pro model where players sign contract, they unionize, they collectively bargain, and therefore they sign multi year deals so they stay on campus and they get paid as if their employees. I know that school administrators don't want that, but it feels like coaches and players would kind of welcome it because it leads to it provides some guidance and some guardrails.
Speaker 3: I don't see another way. I just don't know how you do it. I just I think something has to be done, and I think you're right on point. But then you have to collectively bargain. Then you have to declare them what they are. At this point, they are professionals. You can't tell me any different. When you receive money to play, you're a professional athlete. I think we all will agree with that, and so, yeah, I do I see another way. I don't. You can't go on like this. You can't just randomly have there's no salary cap. So let's be honest right now. If you're an SEC, you're at a huge advantage with revenue sharing because your television contract is bigger than everybody else's, so your revenue stream is higher. And so those are the things that I don't think the looked at. I know everybody begged for the college football playoffs, and I think that's great, But now you guys, we're looking at a team playing January twentieth, and now we're going to turn around and ask those kids to be ready for springball come March and have more contact. Well, I played the game, so I know your body only has with so many hits in it, and I had thirteen surgeries, and so I know what your body eventually breaks down. No, I don't think what we're doing is sustainable, but you have to manage it as is. You can't sit around and cry about it. You got to understand that, Okay, I'm losing forty percent of my team. I've got to be well versed in the portal and who's coming out so that I know who's going to replace XYZ with equal or better than talent. That's the critical part. And and he has to have character and be able to mess into a team. And then I have to sit back and look at and say, next year, I may be looking for this player all over again.
Speaker 1: Yeah not Yeah, it's simply just yeah, guy, it's not sustainable. It can't last like this and the NCUBA. It's amazing, really, guy, it's the power of college football that the sports and the product continues to receive the love and attention that it does when the business has been so poorly run.
Speaker 2: Because part of leadership is seeing around corners.
Speaker 1: What the NCAA has shown is that they cannot do that, so therefore they react when they realize something is broken, And this time around, what they're realizing is broken is leaving the transfer portal open during the actual season. Can you imagine guy being a coach for one of the twelve teams left playing for the National Championship, trying to practice to prepare for the CFP, and dealing with players while you're still in the middle of trying to win a national championship, dealing with players telling you they're leaving when there are games left to be played. This basic fundamental thing has to change as soon as possible.
Speaker 3: Yes, no question. Can you imagine being Penn State right now and your number two quarterback is gone. He's gone. He's got to do what's best for him. I get that, And people say, oh, you got to do what's best for the team. Oh no, hell, that's being gone. Like we're out of our minds. We need to stop living in this fantasy land of nineteen eighty four eighty three. When I was in college and you were like, I'm gonna do what's best for the team, I wouldn't win the National championship. All that's out the window. Right now, and the whole focus is I'm going to take care of me and my family, and the only chance that I have is to be on the field so I can get more money. And no I can imagine in January practicing and then coming off of that field preparing for a college football playoff game, knowing what's the state, and have to go right in and look at portal films because that's what they got to do. So and then they have to be because you cannot be unprepared and not be able to fill that position. And let's be honest, you can't bring a kid in in August and think he's going to be up to speed on your particularly offense. Like I don't think people realize how difficult that is. When when Witch said we need to pay a a plug and play offense, I don't think people understand what that means. It means Andy Luvewood's offense was the West Coast offense. I grew up in it. Love it. It is so technical, It is so detailed that any mistake can throw off the details. And you know in the past game you any mistake in that can really just screw up the whole play. Well, now you have to be more simplistic because your turnover pieces are high. Just saying, if you don't get that kid in there by the spring, you better get Sometimes your best players are going to be showing up July first, and that sucker better be up to speed to play or you're out looking for a job. That's the reality of it. That's the cold reality of it. So if your system takes time to learn, and if you look in the NFL and people pro teams that run the West Coast system, it takes you time. You look at worthy with the Kansas City Chiefs, the receiver, it's going to take him a minute to where that speed actually matters because he's got to study that offense is not like so sid implistic. You can walk in and look at the book one time a week. No, you got to study that book every day, every single day. And if you can't get an NFL player to do it and up the speed when they have nothing else to do, there's no way you can get a college kid to do it.
Speaker 1: Let me move over and we are catching up with Guy Holliday, longtime college football coach, played in the NFL, played college football back in the day, spent time with both Utah and BYU on their staff, and you referenced Andy Ludwig, who hopefully and should always be remembered for what a phenomenal job he did while he was here. And I don't know, guy, it feels like the offensive coordinator is always the dude who falls on the sort. Just feels like he's the guy that takes the brunt of the stuff. But Andy, of course exits the program. Jason Beck has now been hired as the offensive coordinator. I'd be curious to get your take on Utah's new wellc.
Speaker 3: I love him, I worked with him. I watched him take Tannermingham at BYU, who and Kristin Stewart both times Taysom Hill got hurt. I think at that time we were five and zero when Taysom went down the first year and he brought Kristin Stewart on walk on, completely changed offense. And that was the year we played University of Utah in the bowl game, and I think everybody remembers that was a shootout. Yeah, it took an amazing comeback to make it a close game. But after when Jason Beck left by U, Tanne Mangam was never the same player. And that speaks volumes about him. He took Christen Stewart a walk on that first year and made him a player. A walk on made him a player. What I know about Jason is he's super he's super smart, super intellectual, and his ability to communicate with a quarterback is exceptional. It's exceptional in my opinion. He went to Virginia, they took a transfer quarterback, he became a player, went to Syracuse, made a quarterback a player. What's the first thing he does at University of Mexico makes that kid a player? Okay, that speaks volumes about him. We can go on play calling ability and all that. Let me tell you something. Play calling is great when everything is equal, but in college football it comes down to players. The best players will win games. The best players will win games. And I think they've done a really good job hitting the road recruiting, and they hired one hell of recruiter in marky Atawaia. I'm telling you that guy can recruit. I was with him. I love him. He's like a brother to me, and I think he'll do a hell of a job. And if a kid gets out of Hawaii and nothing, come to Utah and Low has done a fabulous job. But as much as I love Lewis Poll, he is no marquee at the WII and Hawaii, I can tell you that. And that guy's a living legend there.
Speaker 2: Very interesting stuff.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and you know obviously that pipeline is something that both Utah and by you and other schools too have capitalized on talent. Let me ask you about Jason's quarterback who is transferring to Utah coach, and that of course is Devin Dampier. And Isaac Wilson announces that he will be back on campus too. I don't know what the status is of Isaac's health, you have the knee injury, but I would imagine the idea is to have those two battle it out and maybe some other additions to that room as well. But what do you know about Devin Dampier and what do you make about the potential of what the Utah quarterback position could look like this upcoming season.
Speaker 3: Well, he's from here in Arizona and Phoenix, so I know a little bit more about him. Let me tell you about before we go down, Kyle Whittingham will always believe and he made me a firm believer in you need a mobile a quarterback that can hurt you with his legs. We know Dan Pierre can do that, and that's critical. And if you think about it, Tyler Huntley hurts you with his legs. Cam Rising when healthy, he hurts you with his legs. If you google and look at the majority of deep balls completed and deep passes, it is mainly done by extending the play because that's when coverage breaks down. Okay, So I think that's critical. I think Isaac Wilson will prosper under Jason Beck because Jason will reach him. Make it simple, and you're going to have an offense that does what the kid can do. He is a spread offense guy. Sometimes we all get caught up and what the you know what this recruits rated and so on and so forth. That's irrelevant. If he doesn't fit your scheme, you know, that's all irrelevant. So I think he fits the scheme and I would would not be surprised to see them excel on offense.
Speaker 2: Well, that's some real exciting stuff.
Speaker 1: Last thing, guys, since I set you loose, because I have not spoken to you since the announcement was made that Morgan Scally once again has been installed as the coach in waiting. He had that moniker once upon a time and it was taken from him and he was asked to do some things and I can't speak to that process.
Speaker 2: I was not a part of it.
Speaker 1: Apparently he did what he needed to do and receive that promise back. So whenever Guy Kyle has done it will be Morgan. Just wanted to get your take on that before we set you loose on this Wednesday.
Speaker 3: Morgan's very intellectual, very good defensive mind. We all know I think the key and Morgan Morgan is one of the smartest people I know. You know the key is going to be and he's learning from a great head coach. How does he handle all the responsibilities of being the head coach because it's not simple anymore, you know. And a defensive coordinator and a very good one for so long, and now you're adding in you got to handle so much more as a head coach, especially with the portal, and you got to re recruit your players every year. He's going to have to make adjustments to that. Because Morgan is a he's a grinder. Now he's a great human being and understands people, and so it'll just be held. He's got to hold the standard. As Witch says, the standard is the standard, and Morgan won't have a problem in doing that. And he's just got to figure out how to manage the responsibility of college head coach, which is so much different than NFL head coach NFL head coach. How many of them as staying on the sideline with the place she call him plays man, that's hard to do in college football. You don't see very many of them doing it because they have so many other responsibilities.
Speaker 1: Well, guy, I appreciate the time we miss you up here. You're always one of my favorite interviews. If you ever want to hop on the show for any reason, please reach out and we'll probably bug you again in not too long. Okay, Happy holidays, serve you well, Okay.
Speaker 3: I appreciate you all. You all have a happy Holidays, Merry Christmas, Happy New Years. I always love Utah, man, it's a great place, all right.
Speaker 1: The great guy Holiday spent a number of years with both Brigham Young and the University of Utah coaching wide receivers. He has now settled down in Arizona, where he continues to work with and develop young high school players to try to help them go on to college college football. Do appreciate guys time, truly. He was kind of like Sharif. Anytime he spoke, he wanted to listen to what he had to say. He is on Twitter on social media. You can get him at Eagle eight eight me Oh Chiladay, My god,