Speaker 1: It's night Side, Dan ray I'm telling you crazy Boston's news Radio.
Speaker 2: Thank you Madison. As we start off on a Tuesday night, beautiful early weather here in May for New England. Huh, how about some global warming. Let's warm it up to about seventy five degrees that would be nice. My name's Dan Rayam, the host of Nightside, heard every weeknight Monday through Friday, as to fined weeknights from eight to midnight right here on w BZ, Boston's news Radio. Rob Brooks, of course, is in control in the control room tonight. He's ablely assisted by the new man on deck, Brian. But Brian, welcome to Nightside. Looking forward to working with you for the next couple of nights, as Rob has a two or three, maybe even four well deserved nights off. Now, before we get started, let me just make note of a very simple fact. My name's Dan Rayam, the host of the show, by the way, But the fact I want to make everybody aware of is today is Nurse Appreciation Day. And if this any group of people who all of us should appreciate without exception, nurses. Nurses are the Florence nightingales that are at with us at the most difficult moments of our lives. They are there when our children are born, They're there when our parents pass, They're there when we deal with any form of illness or sickness or problem whatsoever. And again, if you know a nurse, let that nurse know today that you appreciate them not only as a friend, but for what they do. It is a profession, it is a vocation. And some of the most incredible people I know, and some of the nicest people I know, aren't nurses, men and women who devote their time to caring for patients. Doctors are important, no question about that, but I would much prefer to have a nurse at bedside to help in whatever set of circumstances one needed to be helped with than a doctor. Doctors are great, don't get me wrong. Okay, I get it, And in the pecking order, doctors are above nurses, I get it, But not in my pecking order, nurses are at the top of the heap. Having said that, we are going to now move in to our four guests during this hour of the Nightside News Update, and we are going to talk about the early onset of puberty. Kids are experiencing puberty a little earlier perhaps than prior generations, which I think doesn't make it any easier for parents of kids who are either going through or about to go through puberty with us as Doctor Ryl Gonzalez Ziegler, she's a psychologist, wrote the book The Crucial Years, The Essential Guide to Mental Health and Modern Puberty in Middle Childhood. Really interesting title, Doctor Gonzalez Ziegler, welcome tonight's side. How are you.
Speaker 3: I'm good, How are you? Thanks so much for having me.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I assume that going through puberty is not the easiest time of most of our lives. Lots of questions pretty much like, what the hell's going on with me? How can you make it a little easier on people who are passing through that transition from a child to a teenager or an adolescent, And how can you make it easier on the parents who have to also once again make that trek that they themselves had made maybe twenty or thirty years prior.
Speaker 3: Yeah, well, you raised a really good point. We all went through it. If we're still here and alive, we went through it ourselves. But the difference is we were probably older, we didn't have social media, we didn't have the level of stress that we're today's kids being exposed to, so it's like a very similar process but also in a really different time. So I think one of the things to start with is for parents to really understand just how much younger kids are going through puberty. On average, Since the nineteen eighties, it's dropped three months per decade, so we're really talking about, in some cases, three to five years earlier. And we are talking about parents who are also themselves under a tremendous amount of stress, the most stressed outparenting generation that's ever been studied. So we have kids who are going through puberty when they should still be in this middle childhood phase and not adolescents, and then we also have parents who have a lot of stress, and the combination is something that I'm really excited to start talking about.
Speaker 4: What to do?
Speaker 2: Yeah, what what should we do? I mean, I'm assuming that's the topic of the book, The Crucial Years, The Essential Guide to Mental Health and Modern Puberty in middle Childhood. We're not going to be able to cover the book and the few minutes that we have, but give us some certainly a couple of pointers that maybe people might latch onto and perhaps can convince or persuade them that this is a book that they should get.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I think one of the things to understand is, yes, kids are going through puberty earlier. But the really key part as well is, I mean, sometimes people want to know why, and there's a couple of reasons that are thought to be why we have a childhood obesity epidemic. We have children under stress and stress appears to trigger puberty. And we have environmental toxins and hormones in the foods that the kids are eating that are endocrine disruptors. So there are reasons, but those are not things we're going to probably solve overnight. So I think that one of the things that's really helpful for parents to understand is that the developmental stage of middle childhood is actually meant to help a kid become capable and confident. It's called industry versus in inferiority, which in today's terms just basically means a kid gets to be about twelve or thirteen and they should leave this stage and go on to the teen years being confident, knowing what they're capable of. That's the positive outcome if they go through these years and they feel like they don't know what they're confident and they don't know what they're good at. Then they leave feeling what we call having low self esteem. And so I think the key for this is what parents can do is allow your kid to go ahead and take risks, to allow them to try things they're going to fail at. To keep space and hold space for play and just spending time outside and really watching the screen time. Because what we see is now we have kids who are nine and ten years old, they're still in elementary school, they're going through puberty, and then all of a sudden, the world looks at them like they're older and they treat them older, which inevitably kind of that, you know, shortens their childhood in a sense.
Speaker 2: You've raised so many good points I couldn't even begin to respond to them. I guess the one question I'm going to ask this is a broad question, and it's probably, I don't know, sort of a devil's advocate question, and we all thinking this.
Speaker 3: I'm glad you asked me that devil's advocate question. No one else has asked me that today. Are we overthinking it? We're not. I mean, we have one in five kids that have a diagnosable mental health condition. We have kids who are developing. Their bodies are developing, you know, starting for girls nine years old and for boys ten years old, and so when we look at okay, so maybe they are. Is that really a big deal? I have a long list that if I read it all, it would be really scary, I think to parents. But earlier puberty has I'll just tell you some of the negative outcomes. Increase risk of depression, increased anxiety, increased substance use and abuse, increased eating disorders, embody dissatisfaction. There's actually a lot of really negative outcomes that are studied when we look at what happens to kids who go through earlier puberty. So it's a great question, But the truth is we have a youth mental health crisis that actually is starting in middle childhood and just doesn't get the attention until they're teenagers. And that's really the spirit of the book is to say, I think that we can prevent a lot of the things that we're seeing in our teens right now by really focusing on the stage right before when the parents actually have the most amount of influence and can instill their values onto their kids, and the kid still wants to be with you, They still want to cuddle whole hands, watch movies. You've got like six to twelve to actually get to talk to your kid and do that before they become an adolescent. Anytime thirteen fourteen years old where they rest start separating from you.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and that's when that's when you start to think back and wish they were back in the terrible twos. Doctor Cheryl Gonzaleziegeler, thank you very much the book The Crucial Years, The Essential Guide to Mental health and modern puberty in middle childhood. Thanks so much for being with us. This probably deserves a longer conversation, but that's all the time we have for tonight. I assume this book is now out available Amazon dot com probably the easiest place to procure the book.
Speaker 3: Correct, that's right, anywhere books are sold. It's out today.
Speaker 2: Oh wow, perfect timing, doctor Cheryl Gonzales Ziegler. Appreciate your time tonight, your great interview. And I'd like to ask devil devilish questions. Okay, that's that's what I'm doing it. Thank you very much. I think outside the box. I'm an outside the box sort of guy. Thank you very much.
Speaker 4: I appreciate it.
Speaker 2: All Right, we'll be back and we're gonna tell you what US News and World Reports thinks are the best states in America. Massachusetts is not number one. I'll tell you what number two is, New Hampshire. That's the teas. We'll be back on Nightside right after this very quick break.
Speaker 1: Right after this, it's Nightside with Dan Ray on Boston's news Radio.
Speaker 2: All Right, US World News Reports they love to do different rankings, and they have ranked the best states for twenty twenty five with US as Joscelyn Jeffrey Wilynsky. She's the US News Senior data editor, Jocelin. Welcome to Nightside.
Speaker 5: Hi, thanks for having me.
Speaker 2: Well, I notice, by the way, do you do this every year?
Speaker 5: US News does this every year? Full disclosure, this is my first year.
Speaker 2: Well, this is probably the best year it's ever done that. So that's why I asked the question.
Speaker 5: Yes, obviously, clearly, clearly.
Speaker 2: Okay, So does the rank change much from year to year or no? I know that obviously you want to do it on an annual basis, But before we get to the ranking this year, is it fundamentally the same as the last few years.
Speaker 5: I will say for almost all the states, the rankings stay pretty stable from year to year, and we try to keep the methodology is really consistent and just updating the data. There are a few exceptions, but certainly when it came to Massachusetts, it's been kind of in this upper echelon for a long time.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, no, that I would expect that. But I'm surprised that we're not number one. We're number seven or number nine. I guess we're number nine, excuse me, nine ninut of fifty. That's not bad. But you know, when you think about it, it's probably like an eighty two score off of one hundred. You taught is number one. So what makes the big difference between you taught and Massachusetts? I mean, Romney was governor here, he's just resigned or he's just retired as a senator from Utah, we have better sports teams here. How does Utah jump eight points ahead of Massachusetts. I know it's easier to spell, I get that, but give us but we always assume we have the best medical, we have the best educational, we have the best sports teams. Is how would you distinguish between Utah number one in Massachusetts number nine.
Speaker 5: Yeah, the thing and Utah people are always it's a pretty controversial finding. It's the third year in a row that Utah has been the top state. And what I like to say is Utah's main advantage is consistency. You know, there are some categories where Massachusetts outperformed it, for sure, but there are also categories where Massachusetts was ranked much lower, and Utah was just good enough in every category except for one for environment to push it to that number one rank. Now you're spot on in Massachusetts is very highly ranked for healthcare, education, environment, and a few others, but that's sort of balanced out by pretty low rankings in some other areas.
Speaker 2: What are our low rankings in Massachusetts? We have to look at the good, the bad, and the ugly.
Speaker 5: Absolutely, you and listeners probably won't be too surprised to find out that most of them come down to affordability. Massachusetts is I think the third worst for affordability. It's also the third worst for the Jinny Index, which is a measure of income inequality, as well as the second worst for debt at graduation. So you're just kind of seeing throughout the rankings spread across the different categories. This evidence of the affordability crisis manifesting itself.
Speaker 2: We're also a very high tax state. I'm sure you realize that we've just changed our constitution, so we're going to drive millionaires out of Massachusetts because we're now whacking people penalizing people who are more successful. The number two state was one of my favorite states, New Hampshire, which is just to our northern border. New Hampshire, and I don't know if you take this and get us consideration. They're north of us, and they have much better roads than we do, and they maintained their roads at about twenty five percent the cost on a per mile basis as we do here in Massachusetts. And it's and governors sooner when I used to talk about this all the time. I mean, there's so much money that we spend in Massachusetts on things like infrastructure, and at the end of the day, we leave the league in potholes. So I think you're giving Massachusetts an inflated rate. Really, as someone's living in my entire life.
Speaker 5: So well, I will say, oh, sorry, go ahead.
Speaker 2: And then the other thing is we have a one party state in Massachusetts. We don't have any legitimate political goal competition like they have in Utah and they have in New Hampshire. So yeah, yeah, you should. You might want to put that one in because I think that a lot of states that are one party states, they get a little overconfident. And I know that there's some states that are overwhelming the one party states at the bottom of the listing as well. But you know, I just I'm having a little bit of fun with you here. Uh but I love you know. I loved reading US News and World Report when it was a magazine, and I love what you guys are doing digitally now as well. Do you want to run down the top states? So we we're heard in the eastern half of the United States, let's we should we should be able to give you a drum roll here, but let's let's run down the states so that everybody knows if they know your your website's not letting me in here. So you must have the ten give us one one through ten.
Speaker 5: All right. So in first place we have Utah. In second place, we have your favorite state, New Hampshire, which you'll find it interesting to know, did far outrank Massachusetts on our infrastructure rating, which does include roads.
Speaker 2: So observation the cost, by the way, New Hampshire. That's the truth, by the way, on a perfile basis, Yeah, go ahead.
Speaker 5: Number three a bit of a dark horse, Idaho, number four, Minnesota, number five, Nebraska, number six. The only southern state to make it into the top ten Florida. And then we're back to the northeast with number seven for Vermont, rounding out with an interesting combination number eight South Dakota, number nine Massachusetts, and number ten in the Pacific Northwest Washington.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Those are really nice states, clean states. You have Republican states Idaho in there in South Dakota, and you have democratic states like Massachusetts. I think it's a pretty good ranking, to be honest with you. And I don't know why World US News and were we pulled it has now walked me out.
Speaker 6: Here, which is frustrating. Yeah, yeah, yeah, that's kind of a nasty trick. Someone must be someone from Massachusetts who works at US World Report.
Speaker 2: Hey, Jess, I love these sorts of interviews, and uh, we will leave the ten lower states and and hopefully they'll all do better next year and we'll look forward to talking to you next year or anything in between that you have that's interesting. I love US News and World Report. I loved it as a magazine and I loved it as a digital website, and it's it's fabulous information. You guys do great work. Thanks so much. Appreciated US News Senior Data editor. Thank you much. We'll talk again. I hope we'll talk often. Thanks.
Speaker 5: Thanks, Jocelyn, definitely thanks.
Speaker 2: Okay, bye bye. Here comes the news at the bottom of the hour, a minute or so late. We're going to talk to a defense attorney about the Shawan Diddy Combs federal trial. I had no idea who Sean Diddy Combs is except he's a heap of trouble and I guess he's a singer or an actor or something like that. But we're going to get all the lowdown on Sean Ditty Combs. I do know that he never got bail, which in a federal court, if you don't get bailed, that's not a good sign. I can tell you that as a member of the bar. We'll be back on night Side right after this.
Speaker 1: Night Side with Dan Ray on WBZ, Boston's news radio.
Speaker 2: Well, I'm sure most of you have heard of Sean Diddy Comb's big rapper in the ninety eighties, nineties, two thousands, and currently under federal indictment. He is facing a whole bunch of big problems. One count of rico racketeering conspiracy, two counts of sex trafficking by force, fraud, or coercion that carries a maximum of life in prison, mandatory sentence fifteen years in prison. Two council transport transportation to engage in prostitution, which carries this dude's He's dealing with a lot of issues here, that is for sure, and he's gonna his trial is supposed to start this month. Hip hop mogul Sean Diddy combs with us as attorney Jeremy Rosenthal. Jeremy as a lawyer, I understand what the batting average is for federal prosecutors. It's about ninety at least up up in this district. It seems to me that in a case like this that that poor Seawan Diddy, he's he's got two chances slimming none and I think none might be leaving a courtroom. What do you think?
Speaker 7: Yeah, I think that's the legal analysis. I mean, sometimes.
Speaker 2: Actually slim leave in the courtroom by mistaken it's slim.
Speaker 8: Walking up Yeah, no, you nailed it. I mean, look, there's the FEDS. They they play hardball. And what we tell our clients is, if they have an FB agent who's questioning him, you know what, they already know.
Speaker 7: They already know the answer, so you.
Speaker 8: Need to be honest with them. They they wire these things ten ways till Sunday, and they don't indict cases.
Speaker 7: Unless they think they're going to win them.
Speaker 8: More often than not, especially the high profile stuff they've got, you would think an army of witnesses that are going to come and testify, some of whom probably have their fingers bent back a little bit, some of whom are probably legitimately victims here. Yeah, no, he's up against it. He turned out a plea deal last week. We don't know what that was. We don't know what the offer was, what concessions the government was going to make, and did he wants to you know, he's going to roll the dice y.
Speaker 2: I'm surprised that the Feds would even offer a plea deal in a case like this. Maybe it wasn't a particularly sweet plea deal deal. How old is this guy, He's like got to be pretty close to sixty. I'm assuming at this point or maybe just a little less.
Speaker 8: I think that's right. He's in his fifties, is my understanding. And yeah, I mean sometimes when you're that that's one I guess downside, if you will to such heavy handed punishment, is you really put the defendant in a in a no lose situation or a no win situation, and in which case it's like, well we may as well go out fighting.
Speaker 7: Yeah.
Speaker 8: I practice in Texas, and no politician in Texas gets elected.
Speaker 7: On the platform up, I'm going to be easy on crime.
Speaker 8: Right, So so when when the prosecutor comes out and says, well, I'm going to put you in prison for fifty years and my clients forty eight years old, you feel like, you know, dying in prison at the age of ninety seven.
Speaker 7: No, let's you know, shoot les, let's go, let's take this first spin. So sometimes that's that is what you get.
Speaker 2: How did how did this case get Manhattan jurisdiction? And that I believe that a lot of the partying supposedly went on he at homes in California and Florida. I'm just curious from a jurisdictional point of view, how it ended up in New York City.
Speaker 8: I mean, when you have so many tentacles they don't have, it doesn't have to be much to get you to be within the federal jurisdiction. They just literally have to have one one thing that happened of all those things, and it could even be a money thing that happened there, and that's that's where they wanted to do it. So that's where they indicted. You see that a lot in with the federal government. I mean they will, they'll meet you, you know, in a big multi party drug conspiracy that involves people in other countries.
Speaker 7: You know, they're like, why am I in Missouri? Why are they trying this here?
Speaker 8: You know, well, you know, we're going to make you come to the quick trip just on the other side of you know, I forty and and okay, yeah, so they get you kind of where they want. But when when there's so many issues in moving parts to a case in a case like this that they don't need much to get you where they want, and that that's why they are there.
Speaker 2: Does see you have high profile defense attorneys, anyone that the public would know, or just the best defense attorneys he could find. I'm sure, I'm sure he's got the finances to hire a good company counsel.
Speaker 7: Yeah.
Speaker 8: One of his lawyers is named Mark Agnifilo, who I don't know if he's related to uh the I don't know if he's related to Luigi Manngioni's attorney. Maybe there maybe their brother's sister, maybe their spouse. Maybe it's just two random Agnifilos, Yeah, last name.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Ok.
Speaker 7: Yeah, not not a lot of those guys running around.
Speaker 2: Not quite as common as Smith, that's for sure.
Speaker 8: Yeah, yeah, yeah, not not not so much. But then uh, another one is I believe Mark Gerago's son is also.
Speaker 2: One of his Las Vegas well, well know big.
Speaker 7: And the lawyer. Uh. And I was going to say here one of.
Speaker 2: The questions, one of the questions, you know, some people say, well, here's this trial coming up in May of twenty twenty five. He became down last September. So it was the Biden Justice Department that brought the case. This is not a case that was brought by the newly installed administration. And I think that's that needs to be pointed out because obviously there it was investigated and the that was brought by the Biden Justice Department.
Speaker 7: You're absolutely right, And I think that's what.
Speaker 8: A lot of folks sort of loose track of is that our attention naturally goes to a lot of a big sexier pardon upon right, a lot of the big sexier you know, things that have to do with immigration and Abrego Garcia and you know, all the litigation over El Salvador and all of these things, and we tend to view these things with the political lens. The reality is it is ninety eight per cent of the Justice Department is doing really really meat and potatoes work. They're investing Medicare, They're investigating medicare and medicaid fraud, PPP loans that are fraud, H one B visas, and other types of immigration fraud. Those are things that were investigated very thoroughly by the Biden administration. And maybe there's an uptick with Trump, but you don't see a lot of changes in those things. They go after human trafficking, they go after drug rings, fentanyl, oxycon, they go after all of these things. So ninety five percent what they do just really hasn't changed. And I think that that's a good This is a good example of that. And one thing I was going to point out too kind of talking about the lawyers. James Comey, the former director of the FBI. His daughter is one of the federal prosecutors on the case. So the prosecution has kind of their star team at this as well.
Speaker 4: Well.
Speaker 2: It'd be interesting to see how it works out. Have they anyone recommend to us suggested, as this is got to be probably a two or three month trial, I'm assuming if this is not a quick.
Speaker 7: One and done can't be Yeah.
Speaker 8: There they are only two thirds of the way through jury selection right now, and and I think opening statements are our scheduled for the twelfth. This thing, I want to say, six weeks is about right and uh and and in federal cases can go that long. I mean, you know it's hard because you want people to show up for jury duty. But then when when you know folks are listening to this and they say, what, I can go and be on the jury for six weeks? It, Yeah, it can be a pretty intensive thing when you when you have all of these when you have all of these charges, all of these witnesses, all of this evidence. I mean, can you imagine all the data that they must have here, all the cell phone data, computer data. It's quite an undertaking, and probably.
Speaker 2: If you're going to put those forensics in, obviously you got to have foundational witnesses to make sure that the jerry understands that these forensics are legitimate. And you know, you got to qualify the witnesses. You got to qualify their testimony. It's not just putting a guy or a woman up on the stand and say, FBI agent did this, you would look at this, I mean they do with It has to be done thoroughly.
Speaker 7: It has to be exactly exactly right.
Speaker 8: Yeah, and and you know, just to to your point there too, that if if there was going to be a plea deal, that would be why right would be you know, if you spare us five weeks, if you give us five weeks or six weeks of our life back, you know, p Diddy, if you'll do that, then then then we'll give you ten years of your life back right on the plea deal. So if you were going to see plea deal, that would probably be why.
Speaker 2: Well, we will see Jeremy as always appreciate your time and your expertise, and uh, it's it's amazing. We have the Karen read trial going on up here, which is not a federal trial. He since state trial, but has generated a lot of national and international publicity for someone who before this was not known, not nearly as well known as a superstar rapper. So I can just imagine when this case really gets going and it's where everybody's going to understand it before it's over, that's for sure. Appreciate your time, counselor thank you so much.
Speaker 7: I have a great night you too.
Speaker 2: When we get back, we're going to finish up with five foods that could damage your brain. Doctor Patrick Porter's been a guest before. He'll join us right after this break on Nightside. My name is Dan Ray. This is Nightside.
Speaker 1: You're on night Side with Dan Ray on WBZ, Boston's news radio.
Speaker 2: Welcome back to dtor Patrick Porter. He's an expert in brain health and founder of brain Tap. We all could use a little brain tap, Doctor Porter, how are you tonight.
Speaker 4: I'm doing well. Thanks for having me.
Speaker 2: Welcome back to Nightside. We're going to talk about five foods that damage your brain and increase your dementia risk. Every one of the times I read these articles, I get really depressed. It's like I think the only thing that's safe to eat now is tofu. What's going on.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I think we're finding that the onset of all these people experiencing dementia, even as young as you know, they've had people as young as twenty seven years old and forty year old, is not an exception to the rule. And I think it is a lifestyle problem. I mean, the ultra processed foods there is probably the number one, because people eat things out of canbottles and wrappers all the time.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I guess we're talking ultra prep ultra processed foods, high levels of sugar, salt added as preservatives, artificial ingredients, unhealthy fats, and it just goes on and on and on. I'm assuming that that look many years ago. Let's go back to like the nineteen sixties and seven these fifty years ago. Everybody who's eating fast food, they were going to McDonald's and Burger King. That stuff wasn't good for you back then, was it?
Speaker 4: Well? Back then, actually used to be. McDonald's only had three ingredients in their in their fries. Now they have over seventeen, so they've they've added things in. There's actually something called excitotoxins, and they've added them into the foods to get you to basically reset your appetite so you have to eat more.
Speaker 2: So is it you said they excito toxins? Is that what the.
Speaker 4: Words you used? Yeah, well, even salt and sugar is cytotoxin. But now they're chemically manual. They're mostly natural foods, but when they combine them with the food, you basically want to eat more. Well, I remember when quarter pounders. You remember when quarter pounders came out, people thought that was crazy. Who's gonna eat a quarter pound of beef? Now you can get a double quarter pounders, you know?
Speaker 2: So what about what you would think anything that is said something toxin that the food and drugmen and administration might say, not sure about that toxin?
Speaker 4: Thin?
Speaker 2: Can you explain that to us a little bit more? Wherever the regulators seriously?
Speaker 4: Wells, most food is not regulated like that. I mean, it's not going to kill you today, so it's okay, it's going to kill you over time. And what happens is the body creates an accumulation of these toxins, and that's what's causing the problem. These foods caused this. Basically, plaquing in the brain is what we're talking about, because it doesn't know what to do with these substances in the body.
Speaker 2: Okay, so let's assume that tonight someone is listening and whatever age they are, or that they're twenty seven, forty sixty or eighty, and they say, what can I do? You know, however old you are, all this stuff that you've ingested over the years, is there some sort of an antidote that is out there that can eliminate this stuff or diminish it? Or is it really you are what you eat and it's however old you are, whatever you've eaten during life. Good luck.
Speaker 4: Oh no, you can clear it out. I mean the bodies that everybody's listening with right now, You and I, our bodies, the cells that make up our body are no more than two years old. Okay, it's matter of what. So yeah, so we're we can clear those out. The number one thing they need to do is substitute all their soda pops and other things that have carbonation and start drinking water, because that's going to be the one thing your body needs. Your brain is mostly fat in water. So most of the fats we eat, these trans fats and things like that, and especially fried foods. That's the problem. Really, so they need to start eating more is omega threes in omega six is like I think we've talked before about doing olive oil. But there's if you look at like eating more of avocados natural fats, because if we if we were to take all the water out of the brain, sixty percent of that brain would be fat.
Speaker 2: Okay, So here's here's my question. Here's my question. Okay, and this is the truth. Okay. And ten years ago, years ago, I changed my lifestyle a little bit. The biggest thing I did was I lost thirty five pounds through a program that I support called Awaken One to E And I've been able to keep that weight off. And one of the ways that I figured out I could lose the weight easily. And this was just me. I wasn't talking to you at the time. I wish I had, but all of a sudden it was brought to my attention. I was a big pepsi guy. If you and I went out to lunch, I would have eaten a burger, fries and two pepsis, forty one carbs in every pepsi. Now I don't drink colas anymore except an occasional rum coke, and I really do a lot of water by doing this show. I have to drink water at night just to stay you know, lubricated, and I drink water with meals. I got to feel it. I'm hoping you're going to tell me that even though I didn't do it for the intention that we're talking about, that inadvertently that helped me.
Speaker 4: Oh yeah, I mean those two sodas you were talking about, that's every five grams of sugar. I mean every five calories is a gram of is a gram of sugar, So I mean tablespoons of sugar. So think about that coke was you know, like eight tablespoons of sugar. That's the biggest cytotoxin. And the other thing that people don't realize about, even diet soda, is that when you drink one twelve ounce can you need three. You need thirty six ounces of water to flush it out of your system.
Speaker 2: Okay, well, I know, I am so happy to hear this. And for example, I was surprised. One of the things you're talking about high mercury fish and it looks like swordfish. Yes, so you're saying don't eat sword fish, but other fish are Okay, I'm just trying to make sure that we can dispense your information here as cleanly and as clearly as we can.
Speaker 4: Right, you want to eat fish have a short life, like salmon and sardines and trout and hearing these are rich in omega threes when I was talking about that, So when you think about these foods, the longer the fish lives because all the toxins that are in the water and all the mercury they eat other fish and it stores in their systems. So then we're eating these toxic fish, so okay, So what about we.
Speaker 2: Eat a lot of cod off the coast of New England. Is cod a long living fish or a short living fish?
Speaker 4: You know, I don't know about cod. I think it's healthy. I think it's healthy because a white fish, you can tell where the toxins are because the usually ob silver or dark color. Sometimes the dark on the belly is fat, okay, and that's where the toxins are going to be stored.
Speaker 2: Okay. And then what about Obviously alcohol is a problem. We've already everybody said you you drink a lot of alcohol, and I think you've told me before that beer and wine is just as bad as hard liquor correct.
Speaker 4: Yeah, yeah, I mean, if they've done studies for you, if you just drink one drink a night you're going to have you're gonna shrink your brain about three quarters of an inch. But the biggest problem is that they've actually found out that taking like fasting days, don't drink every day. You know, if you're gonna drink, also make sure you have fat, fiber, and protein with your meal. That's why when you usually go to a wine tasting or something, they have cheese there. Yeah, because they found out people were getting drunk too fast because it's just sugar's going right to your brain. So you want to slow down that sugar. So only you should only drink when you're eating, if possible, you know, I know sometimes it's not possible, but the thing is that you want to slow that down so it doesn't just go directly to your brain.
Speaker 2: All right. And then the other one here, And I know I'm pushing you tonight, but I really Aprea, because you're a great guest of artificial sweetness. I'm a coffee guy and I'll have splendor in my coffee. But after having read what you just said about artificial sweet sweetness.
Speaker 4: I got to get rid of that, right, Yeah you wanna, you want to? You could? What's even better if you you know, cane sugar is actually a fruit. Okay, so real cane sugar, A little bit of that would go a long way. And the artificial sweeteners even though they don't they don't have sweeteners, but your body doesn't know the difference. Your body treats them like you're eating two hundred times the sugar. Look you're reading, so.
Speaker 2: Where do you get Where do you get cane sugar? Does that sold the supermarkets?
Speaker 7: Oh?
Speaker 4: Yeah you can. You can just make sure you get cane sugar. That's raw cane sugar. Okay. They have a brand called Sugar and the Raw.
Speaker 2: Okay, you know, doctor Porter, I love this these interviews. I thank you for your time. I want to have you back more often because I think we have to reinforce this in people's minds. I really do for people to develop better habits, and I really appreciate. Is there any book that you're taught that you could direct people to anything that would be helpful for them this you might have written.
Speaker 4: Well, that book, I'm ready my book that's coming out. We'll have a lot of it's coming out in October, though it's called the book.
Speaker 2: I promise you this, I promise you we'll we'll do stuff between now and then next time we have you on, let's talk about the effort to get that book done, and then we'll plug the book when it comes out, because I just think it's having that book in my kitchen is going to help me and my family, and I want other people that get that book as well.
Speaker 4: Okay, all right, I appreciate it.
Speaker 2: Doctor Patrick Porter. You're the best. Appreciate You're so clear on this and so affirmative. It helps me and I hope it helps my audience. Thank you, sick again so much for your time tonight. Thanks doctor Patrick Porter. We'll have him back when we get back. We're going to talk about a couple of Massachusetts sheriffs. We got a lot to cover in the next hour, and I think it will be interesting and I also think it can be fun. We'll be back on the night's side right after the nine o'clock news