Speaker 1: It's time for Coffee and Company, fueled by Thornton's on Sports Talk seven ninety.
Speaker 2: Holy crap, I don't know who the hell we think we are.
Speaker 3: Get off our show, idiot.
Speaker 1: The kids are playing or trail off. The countries are.
Speaker 2: Screwing it up.
Speaker 1: Gold play Inner.
Speaker 3: Murals, Brother, gold Play Inner Murals.
Speaker 1: They're supposed to be mature adults, but they're really not.
Speaker 3: Who's the kid here? Who's the kid here? Are you kidding me?
Speaker 1: Now? Here's Nick Coffee? All right, let's get it started. Ladies and gentlemen, welcome in to a Tuesday edition of Coffee and Company, fueled by Thornton's right here on Sports Talk seven ninety, Nick Coffee. That's me, the company man, the one and only mister John All on the longside as we take you up until six o'clock. The warm weather has returned. John. It's actually I mean it's not like hot outside, but it was.
Speaker 3: Drawing warmer, the windows down type of weather today.
Speaker 1: Never been a big windows down guy. Uh shame, and I've always like wanted to be. But I'm just like, wait a second, this is too loud, Like I'd rather have some peace and quiet when driving, but no, doubt the temperature outside. Conditions outside are perfect for somebody to just hit the road, windows down and not need to worry about turning on the AC or the heat or anything like that. Now, are we gonna get rain for Halloween?
Speaker 2: Do we know?
Speaker 3: I saw ninety chance yesterday, But of course that could change. But that's that's also a shame.
Speaker 1: It's not looking good. Yeah, and we've had rain in like three weeks. I know, we you know, we do actually need rain, but not on Halloween because that'd be sad. And I don't really know why or what has led to this, but I'm telling you the hot, the vibes for Halloween this year compared to others is just different level. And I don't you know, it's not like I'm dressing up. I don't have a costume or anything like that. I mean, I'm gonna take the kids trick or treating and we should have some fun. But I'm hoping for everybody that we do avoid what could be, you know, a nasty, nasty Halloween night, especially considering that you as you said, we haven't had it in a long time. If it shows up in rears its ugly head, as the kids want to get out there and get some candy. That would be that be that'd be the worst.
Speaker 3: Maybe we'll get lucky and it'll be overnight on Halloween.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I mean that would be That would be luck because I mean I mean even if it rains during the day but not like in the evening, that would still be a little sloppy. But I'll, you know, I'll take that rather than whenever you get to like whatever time kids start, which byther what time do kids start?
Speaker 3: I think trads on where you live and if there's like an ordinance on win how long you can be out that type of stuff.
Speaker 1: So we have we we host Halloween at our house, meaning like we have a pretty good neighborhood for it, and since we moved in a few years ago, it's just became the spot where like all of our friends and their kids come. So, uh, I'll probably be doing my show from home Thursday because usually by the time I would get back, they would have already started and like I wouldn't be able to get in my driveway because we've got you know, and it seems like each year it grows, which I'm looking forward to it, but I feel like last time around, like there'd be kids that would be tree or treating, and it's like five point thirty. Does that seem early to you?
Speaker 3: Yeah, And sometimes I feel like in the past they've they've pushed up times for when it's okay to start trigger treating because of things like weather type of stuff.
Speaker 1: That's true. We did have one year where it was so cold, it was going to be so cold that it became like a you know, everybody was on the same page, like, Yeah, if you get kids that show up after school, don't be alarmed because they may not be able to get out later. Yeah, when it gets when it gets super cold. But I don't you know, I don't have a whole lot of memory, Like I remember tricker treating, but I don't remember what time of day we started when it ended, Like I don't know.
Speaker 3: Maybe they feel like my neighborhood back across the river, Indiana had no rules. I feel like we were out super late as a kid, And again that's probably not the case. It's just the way that I perceived it whenever I went through Halloween.
Speaker 1: So when you say no rules, you mean like.
Speaker 3: Like there was it was super late all the time. It was always really dark.
Speaker 1: But rules. Aren't rules based off like with the parents decide like you'd have to be out way late for like somebody within your community. Rather it be like a trollman that works for the police department, Like you'd have to be out like way late for something like that to happen.
Speaker 3: I mean, maybe I do feel like I've seen that you were trick or treating by ten o'clock or ten thirty or something like that.
Speaker 1: And I think what makes I mean, in all honesty, what makes a neighborhood a good neighborhood for tricker treating? I guess it's all based off of each individual person's preference and whatnot. But if if you have, how you know, a neighborhood that's you know, kind of you know, all of the roads within the neighborhood are not like busy busy streets, and you have a sidewalk. And most importantly, the most important factor when I when I when it comes to is your area good for trigger treating is do the people who live there put out candy? Like are they are they into it? Are they going to open the door? Because you know, there's a lot of people that don't and I don't, you don't really blame them. But if there's enough, if there's enough people out there that don't have kids, that don't care about giving out candy, and they're just like, yeah, I'm gonna leave the house for the night so I don't have to answer the door, or I'm just gonna, you know, keep the lights off so people can can get the get the message that I'm not doing candy. If there's enough of those, they may be great people. But like that makes it to where it's tough. So we found a good balance where we are, and it should be a lot of fun. But do you remember what age you were when you stopped trick or treating.
Speaker 3: I feel like it might have been right at the end of middle school, whatever age that.
Speaker 1: Is, because I don't remember when I stopped trick or treating, but I remember I stopped thinking like dressing up was cool at some point, and it was probably around the time when I was in like sixth grade or something, and I didn't want to dress up because you know, I was a big kid. I'm not a little kid. I don't have to get a costume. And I remember knowing like just going house to house with a bag, not dressed up like I got some looks to where I'm like, all right, well, I guess this is it for me because I don't want to dress up anymore. And obviously there's people who don't want to give me candy, and some wouldn't give me candy because I wasn't dressed up. Oh man, Yeah, I mean I don't really remember them like being mean or anything, but I remember walking around not dressed up. Well, all the other kids my age and younger were, and I kind of knew I was being like a jerk. I mean, I wasn't being rude or anything, but like if you don't dress up and you go to a house and they give you a little you know, they give you a little crap for not dressing up, or they just decide to not give you candy. Like, I guess, you can't say you're surprised, especially if you look I mean, you have a better chance of looking like you're within age of trick or treating if you're dressed up. If you're dressed up like you just came from school and you're twelve thirteen years old, I mean, you're probably gonna be okay, but like you know, it might look like, yeah, this kid doesn't even a costume why they want candy. But there is a study here that is from this is a breakdown of the age Americans think kids should stop trick or treating. And there is a study that was done. I guess a survey, I should say, from fairly Dicketson University. On average, people say kids should stop when they're thirteen. Actually it came out to exactly thirteen and a half, So I guess that means.
Speaker 3: That's right on the edge of school high school.
Speaker 1: If you're thirteen and your fourteenth birthday is is further away, like if you're if you're freshly thirteen, I guess you know you're in the clear. If you are thirteen and that fourteenth birthday is, you know, within less than six months, maybe then people would side on hey, that's too old. But says a quarter of Americans think kids should get trigger ta should get to trick or treat as long as they want to. Well, three percent are against it at any age. It says here that the survey from fairly degencin University, they built a quarter of the respondents think kids should keep keep it up for as long as they want to. Older Americans are more likely to say kiddos should quit at age eleven or twelve. Why Younger Americans are more likely to say kids of any age who want a trick or treat should so.
Speaker 3: When they say kids of any age, that just means once you hit eighteen.
Speaker 1: I guess, I guess, I mean, I mean that seems a little odd.
Speaker 3: But I don't know anybody who trick or treated once they were in high school.
Speaker 1: Me either, me either. Fact I remember there and this still happens, I'm sure, But like there's kids who just end up in neighborhoods they're not from. And maybe it isn't teenagers, it's just older kids that maybe I don't know, twelve thirteen or something like that, that'll you know, like still kids candies like that. I'm sure that's a rare thing, but it does still happen, which just makes me want to, you know, give that kid a talking to and you know, call their parents on them, because that's not you know, that's now where I'm at in life, Like I ought to call your mom and tell her how how how you're behaving Like that's that's That's where I'm at right now, which again, you know, life goes. Life goes fast. It's crazy that that's that that's where I'm at. Also, since we're here and i'm I probably would have remembered to bring it up before we got to Thursday, But I don't know. I forget a lot of things. I can never keep this show on track when it comes to the clock. We all know that. So since it's on my mind and we're talking about it, I'll go ahead and mention it. If you are at your home and you open the door because somebody is there and they are trigger treating, and maybe they don't say happy Halloween or trigger treat keep in mind they may be nonverbal, they may be somebody with autism, they may be somebody who is intellectually disabled like my daughter, and you know, just keep that in mind. Like I'll there was one moment, and it's probably like one of my it's the memory that stands out to me more than anything throughout my years as a parent with kids that trigger treats. There was an old woman who lived in our old neighborhood and she was she was grumpy anyways, and my daughter, you know, at the time, didn't speak at all, and she wouldn't give her any candy until she she was like nope, nope, nope, you got what do you say? What do you say? And my wife like almost I think choked her to death. I mean she didn't actually make a scene, but like you know, if you've got a significant other you've been with for a long time, you can see signs that nobody else can see. I would assume as far as like what's what's potentially about to happen, what's going on, you know mentally, And I thought she was going to kill the woman, and instead she because she's she's a cool customer. She gathered herself and said, you know, she's she's nonverbal, and you know, made that woman feel probably two inches tall, and look, is it sad that I felt satisfaction for that woman feeling terrible? Yeah, but you know you got to learn at some point. And I'm sure she's probably felt bad about it since, and I'm sure she's probably told other people to keep in mind, like hey, don't think every kid that's there, or you know, there's certain costumes and this is one of my daughter's costumes one year where I can think of what it was, but it came with you might've been she was like a little elephant, and it came with something that you would put on her head, but it really bothered her just because of like sensory stuff. So she didn't wear the hat. She had it kind of like, you know, on her side. And people were making comments about that. And it's usually old old farts that don't mean any harm, but like they also just don't I mean, they don't have any awareness of that kind of stuff. So hey, we got to I mean, if I don't advocate for my kids, you know, how could I ask anybody else to, you know what I mean? Like, so just keep that stuff in mind. As we are just now two days away from from Halloween and again fingers crossed hopefully hopefully there's no rain, but it doesn't look good right now. All right, no guest schedule to join us today, So if you guys want to react to anything, I mean, let's keep it, you know, within within the guardrails here of what we typically do on this show. And I don't mean we got to keep it super serious, nothing but sports, but like we are really close to an election and if I just say, hey, call in if you want to react, Like maybe people want to start talking politics and that's that's not what we want to do here. So again we're pretty leaning as far as which direction you can go when you give us a call. So five oh two five nine hundred is the number. Again, that's the phone lines. If you want to text in, it's the L and N Federal Credit Union text line five O two six five three zero seven ninety. If you want to get involved on the show that way. Questions, complaints, compliments, insults, whatever you've got, feel free to send them our way. And I will go ahead and tell you I don't have a whole lot to add other than what was said last night in the postgame show, because to say that last night was a wasted time is mean, unnecessary and just you know, sounds like I'm being a jerk. But if you know somebody came up and said, man, that felt like a waste of time, I would say I wholeheartedly agree. Now the positives from last night, you beat an exhibition opponent like you're supposed to. I mean, you didn't beat him as bad as you beat young Harris, and you didn't beat Spalding as bad as h Did you see what happened in the Michigan State exhibition game last night. The score in the Michigan State exhibition game last day, Michigan State was up fifty eight to five at half against Wayne State. Is Wayne a person? Did Wayne go one on five? Is that how that happened?
Speaker 3: Five?
Speaker 1: Fifty eight to five at halftime? So again, yeah, you'll find other exhibition games that are uglier than the one that Louisville played. And yes, I know that Spaulding as a Division three team, but you won ninety nine to fifty four. And I just can't if I tried, and I wouldn't want to try, but if I did try, I would be unable to make you, guys believe that I have any strong thoughts about this team following what that was last night. So the fans that did go got a chance to see this team in person, maybe it was their first time, So that's a positive. You won big. You were able to really see that you have depth. Right, Guys who were pretty pretty big time for you when it comes to scoring in your first exhibition game had quiet nights. That's chucky Hepburn and Terrence Edwards. But that was okay because you ended up getting big, big contributions from the guys off the bench. Case in prior Corn Johnson. So you know, there are some things you can point to and say, Okay, yeah, that was encouraging, that was nice to see. And hey, anytime we get a chance to see this new team, this new program led by Pat Kelsey, I mean, that's a reminder that we're not stuck with Kenny Pain anymore. So, like again, you can find some things that you would say, Okay, we're beneficial to the overall situation last night. But I mean, I just can't tell you that I really learned a lot and I didn't. I don't really have that any takeaways because you know, I found myself looking at not only the numbers here as I'm looking at the box score, but like, just to give you an example, they came out of the half, they were up at halftime, what was a score? They were up a lot at half. Let's see, they were up fifty three to twenty one at the half. And they came out in the second half and they had two straight unforced turnovers where they stepped out of bounds in the same exact spot on two straight possessions two different players, and Spalding got five quick points right they hit a three right out of the gate. They had a bucket on the other end after that, so you know, quick five oh run for Spaulding. Two unforced turnovers, and I found myself thinking, well, that's pretty sloppy. You got to clean it up. But like, these are games that I'm telling you you don't learn really anything from and you can even in the moment, think you are. You can even a week later think that you are. But go back to those X. I mean, they're nothibition games. They were real games. Like when Louisville played Jacksonville State and Austin p and football to start this season, what were those games? A waste of time? I mean there were two home games that were lightly attended because of the opponent. It didn't get Louisville ready for better competition. I mean, I don't think it hurt them, but like it was a waste of time, Like we didn't learn anything about Louisville. And I think you can see some things and really it can lie. You can be lied to with these types of games. So again I'm not trying to reign on anybody's parade. Louisville one ninety nine to fifty four and look pretty good doing it. Again a balanced scoring attack. Like, I don't feel any different about this Louisville team today than I did before I watched either of these exhibition games. And that's not to say that I you know that, I've you known that everything I saw confirms where I was. It's not. But I'm just telling you. Even if there was a like, let's say they won these things they want both these games by seventy points each, or let's say they were, you know, closer than we would have expected, that would have been a little bit more of a tell, I suppose. But let's say instead of winning these games by forty and fifty roughly, they won them by twenty. That would probably be a little bit of a head scratcher. But again, like, you don't truly learn a lot here, and we don't need to make it a big part of the show today because who would want to do that. That wouldn't be fun. But you could take these games away in the only the only component that would be bummed about it is these schools that get a chance to come and play programs like Louisville and collect a pretty profitable check for a program like they are. I mean that they would miss that but like other than that, like we don't need these games, and you know, if you feel a certain way after watching these two exhibitions, then good for you, like in all honesty, like I mean that, like maybe you didn't watch any of them in exhibition, Maybe you didn't watch any of the exhibitions in the Bahamas. Maybe you didn't really have a good grasp of the roster overall because you really hadn't been paying close attention. So in that case, then yeah, it was beneficial for you to watch and just kind of learn who's on the team because it's all brand new. So I guess that could be something that you benefited from having these games. But you know, I think Pat Kelsey's gonna be able to show these guys some stuff on film to just kind of, you know, give them the visual. Yeah, you didn't do what you were supposed to hear, this is a careless turnover. How did they get an offensive rebound? Those kind of things. But I wouldn't be shocked at even he doesn't do much of a deep dive with film in these two exhibition games, because again, like it's just a different world than what you're going to be going up against moving forward. And look, Morehead State. They're pretty good for who they are, right, they made the tournament last year, they did go through a coaching change, and like a lot of schools, they've got a bunch of new players because of the portal. But I mean it when I say it, like Morehead State is a billion times better than the two teams you just played, and we all know that. So like I could look at okay, wow, if Spalding was able to you know, keep it within eight after the first TV timeout, geez, what's more at stake? But it's just again, it's it's it's to me that that's why waste of time is just has such a negative tone to it. But I believe it. I believe it was in fact an actual waste of time. So and it you know, it was another night where understandably so many fans did not go, and it becomes a talking point about what do we got to do to get people back at games? Not ask them to pay what you're asking them to pay to go see Louisville play Spaulding. There's your answer. I mean, you could have made the tickets substantially cheaper and you would have had a bigger crowd. I know that how much bigger? I don't know, like you know what the actual number was, who knows. So again, I am super optimistic about this team and this current season. It's awesome that Pat has been able to put together this roster that maybe doesn't have an All American caliber type guy, but man, you got a bunch of really solid players, a bunch of you know, better than solid players, guys that you know would have key roles on other really good teams. Now would would they be the other team's best player? Probably not or probably not, depending on the team I suppose. But overall, like, I don't want anybody to hear me say wasted time with these exhibitions, and I don't really have a whole lot to add. I don't want anybody to to weaponize that against me as if I'm not all in on Pat Kelse in this current team, because I am. I just can't fake it to you as if like, wow, just see what they did last night against Spaulding. You kidding me? So you know, disclaimer, nobody's more excited about Lots basketball than me. Maybe some can claim that they have they can match my excitement, but like I'm all in. I just you know, those games are what they are. That's the best way to put it all. Right, some other things we'll get into today. Obviously, we need to get back into the louisvill Fot conversations. So I thought yesterday was a real optimistic day for me on the show because I truly believe that what happened in Boston. You know, I went back and watched the second half last night as I was going to bed, and it wasn't just that they erased a twenty to nothing deficit and came back on the road really having to do it all internally, meaning you're not riding any momentum from a crowd, You're playing in a pretty empty arena in a game where you know you were done twenty to nothing like it would have been almost the expectation to just kind of mail it in. I know that sounds crazy, but as I always say, it's human nature at times to just like, you know, start thinking all what to go through the motions as if you know, man, this season really did crumble right before our eyes. So that would have been, you know, a bummer we'd have had to been. We would have we would have had to be critical about that. But at the end of the day, like, they didn't do that, they bounced back. So to see them come back and win a game. What was the final score there? Let's see, because what was it? Yeah, let's see here. This is one of those things that's really not super important. But I get totally sidetracked once I realize, I'm spinning my wheels and I'm like, why can't I remember the score of the game. Either way, you know, they only gave up seven points after being down twenty to nothing and then came back and really dominated the game. I mean the last six possessions for BC. The Louisville defense gave up sixty eight yards on thirty one plays and again gave up no points. So it wasn't just the result. I go back to what I said yesterday. I can reiterate it because I now mean it in a little bit of a different way. The result itself is not impressive. You be Boston College and you didn't cover, But how you did it on the road, coming from twenty points behind, that's impressive. But also another layer here that I want to add to that these guys were bouncing around on defense after the game. They had an attitude about themselves some swagger, as they say, and that may mean nothing, right, we'll find out what it meant, if anything, when they take on Clemson on Saturday. That doesn't mean they have to go win for us to claim that there was any value there. But you know, I saw this team kind of carrying themselves towards the end of that game really differently than they've been all year. Now, maybe that's desperation on my end, trying to find the sign of, oh my gosh, they're going to clean it up. They're going to start playing much, you know, much better football and not be sloppy, not shoot themselves in the foot. So maybe I am reaching a little bit here, I'll grant you that. But I also think if you have followed this team all year and you really look at it again, not the overall result, but everything that came with it. It's not that I'm telling you beating Boston College is super impressive, but how it all happened, and the way in which they seemingly felt about themselves as they were doing it, It's almost like they kind of came to life. And again, we'll know quickly because Saturday is going to be a tough test. No doubt and I'm not here to tell you that I think they're going to win, but I'm anxious at least to see how they come out because poor start slow starts have been a big issue for this group. And one place you don't want to dig yourself a hole is on the road at Clemson whenever they're playing seemingly some of the best football in the country right now, all right, some of the things we need to get into is we get to our first break here. Ron English talked yesterday and I wish you wouldn't. I went from thinking Ron English was really humble and you know, telling us during the summer, if you want to point the finger, you want to throw some blame out there. As far as the defense last year, blame it on me, Well now, I mean he's acting as if you know, it's all the players fault and they're not smart enough to understand what he wanted to do. He didn't say that word for a word, because he wouldn't. But like, I don't know, I'm hopeful the defense can carry on some carry you know, carry on some momentum here from what they did against Boston College. But I didn't like what I heard yesterday from Ron English. All right, quick break, we'll come back. Keep this thing rolling along again. It's Tuesday edition of Coffee and Company Fuel. About Thornton's right here on Sports Talk seven ninety. That's right, Coffee and Company Fuel, about Thornton's here on Sport's Talk seven ninety. Nick Coffee the company man, mister John Alden with you for the next two and a half hours. So don't move stay exactly where you are. In fact, you can actually you can move around. In fact, you can move around if you're I mean, if you're listening to the radio. But if you are listening on the hourt radio, I just know you can take us with you wherever you go. Listen live also at seven ninety Louisville dot Com. Plenty ways to listen in no excuses not to be with us for the next two and a half hours. If you've got other things going on. As far as priorities, make sure you reevaluate those priorities, because we should come first. That's the way. It's the way I see it, And you know, I know that's just the world I live in, But allow me to do me. I'm in a good mood today, John.
Speaker 3: I'm glad you're in a good Can you tell I don't feel in a better mood all week so far? This, I mean it's only been two days.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and again like it's sad that, like when my football team wins or loses, my mood and emotion shouldn't be so much dependent upon that, you know what I mean? Yeah, I mean when Indiana loses their first game. If they do, I mean, we're still gonna be You're still gonna be the midst of a phenomenal season. But like it's gonna it's gonna crush you.
Speaker 3: It is because you want to see the dream go as far as it can go. I mean, at this port, we're talking potential conference championship appearances and maybe even the college football playoff, which again two months ago sounded like insanity and look.
Speaker 1: Like it or not. When you do well, expectations change. So they could stop winning now and not win another one. And if you'd told anybody who played out that way, that would be weird. But I'm just saying, like he's got eight wins right now. You could have told anybody before the season started. If they got to eight meeting Indiana, then you know, give the guy a statue. But now you are week by week watching this team win and win big, and you are eight and oher with no losses, Like like it or not fair or not, Indiana fans are expecting this team to go to the playoff.
Speaker 2: Now.
Speaker 1: I think if they somehow miss out, I don't think they're gonna be upset to the point where like they're bitter about their coach, but like, you can't control what happens along the ride, and the ride has let Indiana dream big and it's right there in front of them like it would be, and I don't think they're going to so trust me. This isn't like better be careful signetti, you better deliver. That's not where I'm coming from. But like it or not fair or not, they have shown even with a schedule that's not super challenging, that like they're in position to make the Big Ten Championship game at minimum, right, I mean, I mean.
Speaker 3: If they go eleven and one. There is a weird scenario where there's a bunch of teams that are tied at for second and eleven and one if Oregon goes undefeated, so they could be on the outside looking in depending on how it plays out, but still an eleven in one season would be more than enough to be happy about what happened this year.
Speaker 1: I mean, if they go eleven and one and miss out on the Big Ten championship game just because they you know, they ended up losing to Ohio State, it would still be such an insanely successful successful season that nobody would have believed you if you'd told about it, told them about it beforehand. That would be a punch to the gut, wouldn't it.
Speaker 3: It would be, especially if on top of that you also get left out of the college football playoff potentially.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I mean, but hey, worry about that when you get there. Yet, I would keep briding the wave and you know, enjoying this this I mean, I always say this unexpected success is always better than really any other type of success. Like success is always fun when you're a fan and you're watching your team. But sometimes even though you know we don't actually play, we have no impact on the actual results in these games. If you go into a season knowing you have the best team in the country and if you're ever going to win a national championships, this is the year to do it. Yeah, that's a good place to be because, you know what, it's better than having a team that you feel like Mike might make the tournament. But there's also that pressure of like, man, this is our chance. Let's not screw it up. Indiana. They could be good under Signetti and may have never had a situation play out the way that this one has. So like, you know, I'm I'm making I'm sorry, John, I feel like I'm taking this in the direction we don't need to go in because I think I mean again, like in a weird way, They've gotten to the point where not making again, not again, saying it out loud, I feel like I'm gonna fall out of the chair and just you know, my brain's gonna combust. But Indiana being able to say eight games in that, yeah, we better make the Big ten championship game. Let's go get it done. Like that's just a crazy thing to say, but you know here we are, all right. Some breaking news in the NFL, Lamar Jackson. They lose to the Browns, which, as I discussed yesterday, you already burned too early this year that you didn't need to burn meaning losses. Now, I guess losing to Kansas City at their place. That's not one that you know you can look back and say, wow, how do we lose that one? I mean, it's the Chiefs. They're unbeaten and it's the Chiefs, and they've kind of been your ryptonite. Losing to the rave or the Raiders at home, like, that's one to where that loss to the Browns doesn't sting as bad. But despite looking like the best team in the NFL the last few weeks, that lost to the Browns was kind of telling. Maybe this team is still vulnerable and everybody is in the NFL. Anybody could beat anybody. That's kind of what makes the NFL awesome. But I wouldn't be shocked if this move sending Deontay Johnson from the Carolina Panthers to the Ravens. Maybe it's been in the works for a while, or maybe they realized, Okay, we've got our best chance. Derrick Henry. We've got him. Everybody thought he was past his prime. We've got him in a spot where he's still one of the best running backs in the league. Lamar, I mean, we know what he can do. We got a good young receiver in Zay Flowers. You've got likely and Mark Andrews at tight end your defense. You know, they've not been as good as you probably want him to be, but still they're good enough, I think. But one more weapon here for Deontay, for Lamar Jackson, having receiver Deontay Johnson in the mix can only help. I mean, he's been pretty vocal about how unhappy he is in Carolina, which I would assume everybody playing for the Carolina Panthers this year is unhappy. He would be happy. So, you know, I'm not sure how much of an impact is this guy's gonna make right away, but he is somebody that you know that clearly they saw some value in and they went after him. Also, the Colts bitching took too long. Took a day, it took two days too long. They should have done it Sunday after he said what he said. And I know he might have just been, you know, a young, immature guy that's learning on the fly, And maybe that's more of the organization's fault for putting Anthony Richardson out there in this position. But look like it or not, man, this is the job. You are a quarterback of an NFL team. You set the tone with just about everything and for you on third and goal to say, man, I was tired, like you just you can't do that, and the organization can't allow him to do that without some type of action. And the action here is putting his ass on the bench and riding with Joe Flacco, which I think he gives him a better chance to win, meaning Flacco. But maybe Richardson matures, develops more in the background and maybe he's better off next year to kind of hopefully at that point actually started as an AFL NFL career. But as I said yesterday there, I can't think of any quarterback that's ever had success in the NFL that that will have had a had a path quite like Anthony Richardson. And what I mean by that is he's never been successful as a quarterback ever. Two and eight as a starter as a senior in high school, losing record at Florida. But man, he can run fast, throw the ball really far and hard, and he's big. Let's draft him, let's let's let's let's let's have this guy be our franchise. And you know, you got to pay the consequences because this guy just all of all of a sudden becoming a successful quarterback only in the NFL but never anywhere else like as that that's never happened. So anyways, all right, Kentucky basketball is in action tonight, and I gotta admit, like, I don't I don't think throw an upset alert. It's another exhibition game and it's it's a deep team. But I think the first mistake Mark Pope might have made, and I'm sure he's made some others. I mean, he's not perfect. But like, if you're going to play Division two schools when you have a brand new team and you know you're at Kentucky, meaning that's not a fan base that would be accepting of well, it's a new team, it's a new coach. You know, we were challenged and maybe we lost to a Division two schools, so it's okay, we love you Mark Pope. Like he's playing the defending national champions of the Division two level, John, Like, why would you do that? It's like, what's what's the value? I mean, oh, well, they're gonna get us ready to play. They might beat you too, man.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I mean I guess if you if you destroy them, there's the value in Wow, we did just beat the one of the better teams in Division two. But if you don't do that, there's not much I guess, to value other than what you just mentioned. Yeah, you played some tougher competition to get you ready for the regular season.
Speaker 1: I mean that is who they're playing tonight, because I see in Minnesota State.
Speaker 3: I mean nothing for hockey, I believe, I think their Division one and NCAA hockey.
Speaker 1: But that makes sense that D two. Yeah, but I mean, yeah they are. Did they win the national championship last year?
Speaker 3: Let's see here, I heard that somewhere.
Speaker 1: Yeah, so they won the regular season of their league. I don't know where they lost in the tournament or maybe they didn't. Okay, sorry for you know, getting a little caught up and distracted by the Division two basketball tournament last year. But either way, if they won the championship last year or not, they you know, they did go thirty five and two, and yes they did win, they did win the national championship. If this is the same team, and it is because I'm on their team website and they're talking about an exhibition game against Kentucky, so clearly it's the right team. Because I'm thinking to myself, Wait, you know, don't don't make yourself sound like an even bigger dumb ass nick, Like, make sure this is in fact the team they're playing, because I'm second guesting, like who would do this? Who would schedule a Division two? Like? Who would schedule a Division two game against the best Division two team out there? You have nothing to gain from this and everything to lose. And if you're gonna give me the will, hey, at least they're gonna get them ready to play. Dude, With the way you built your team, Pope, you could scribbage your own guys and have the better ability to get ready because you know, not to say that every bench player on Kentucky's rosters like elite, but like with the way in which both Pope and Kelsey built their rosters, you could make the case that they could split teams up and have a better challenge, more competition than playing Minnesota State, Young Harris and whoever Spaulding.
Speaker 3: Do we know whether or not any of these players from last year's national championship team like transfer to a Division I school, I don't know, make this a different scenario.
Speaker 1: Of course, I don't know. And if in fact you know, let's see here it says they return, they averaged eighty four and a half points a game last year. They're not, it says, I guess these guys are back because it mentions here in this ride up. It says Kyrie Willingham average thirteen and fourteen and a half points five rebounds per game last season, while senior Justin Egan's posted twelve and three, connecting on eighty six three pointers. So if these guys are mentioned in the ride up, then I guess that means that they're back. So I don't know if they were leading scorers or not, but you know a guy who averaged fourteen and a half and five that's pretty good production coming back from really good team. So again, I'm not at all saying that everybody should tune in and like to see Minnesota State beat Kentucky, because I don't think that's going to happen. But this is also another example that I can throw out there, like why do this? Like why Like these games are a waste of time usually, like there's not a whole lot to gain. But now that you have the ability to play these private scrimmages, like I would just do that if I was a head coach, But you know, he wanted to play Minnesota State. I'm sure there's some kind of connection from Mark Pope, just like there is with most of these exhibition opponents, for all these schools that aren't you know, local, like just a team from within the state. But would be something, isn't it. It would be something.
Speaker 3: Even if Minnesota State makes them sweat a little bit, that'd be something.
Speaker 1: Hell yeah, I mean, because here's the thing, Like I don't know I was going to say, if they do make them sweat and it's like a close game that comes down to like the last few possessions, I don't have a clue how their fans are going to react. I wouldn't be shocked if they just say, well, hey, that team's really good. I'm glad Pope put them on the schedule for exhibition because that really got us tested for you know, Wright State next week. Like you know, they may have that reaction because when Cal would win a game but it was close, or you know, his team would play bad, sometimes the criticism would be built up, you know what I mean, there's no built up anger or angst with Pope, Like he's he's rolling with house money. The honeymoon is in full. I mean, he's he's he's getting honeymoon laid five times a day right now with how much they love him. And you know, if he keeps, if they win this year, then that'll keep happening. But like he's getting cut off from the honeymoon intercourse if because I think if the well never I was gonna make a bad joke that might not have even landed because I'm not quite sure. Oh yeah, I don't know what that was, but that was a sign for me to just it was a sign for me to bail on the joke that might have been. It wouldn't have been inappropriate. It might have just you know, made me look foolish. But nonetheless, like they're gonna love him until they give him reason not to. And I think even a close win against an exhibition opponent would keep them just loving all over him. And I'm not criticizing them because again, like I get it. I get why Kentucky fans are all in on Pope and are re energized in feeling the nostalgia because he's a guy that does sort of see Kentucky as a I mean, he doesn't put himself before the program like Cal did. Cal's brand was cal not Kentucky. And that's not the same with Pope, and clearly that's got to be refreshing for UK fans. All Right, we gotta get to a quick break. We'll come back on the other side. Jeff Brown was asked and really talked for the first time yesterday about Colin Lacy's decision. We'll let you hear he had to say. Also, he was asked if, in fact he would want Colin Lacy back next year, So we'll let you hear that. And again I don't have the audio. Maybe I'll pull it up here see if I can find it. But Ron English said something too that, you know, I'll just let you guys here for yourself. You come to your own conclusion as far as what you think of it. But what I do need you to do is stick with us right here. It's Coffee and Company. Feel by Thornton's on Sports Talk seven ninety with nil and the portal still being I mean pretty new in the grand scheme of things, right, it's not brand new, but when you consider how long most of us have been college sports fans, Louisville fans, Kentucky fans, whatever it is, I mean, this is new if you just consider it from that timeframe, and it's so different than what we were used to forever, what our parents were used to, what our grandparents were used to when it comes to following college sports. So with all that said, it's not a huge surprise that with Colin Lacey making his decision last week to opt out, that you have a lot of mixed results. You have a mixed bag, I should say, as far as the reaction, I don't want to say results, but some fans are like, I mean, everybody, I think collectively agrees that this sucks and you wish that you had You wish you had him because he's obviously you're a better team with him. But I think there's some that are just kind of understanding that, hey, this kid's got a chance to take advantage of the way the system is set up now and it could benefit him in every way, could benefit him financially, could benefit him to have another opportunity to play full season and put better film out there for the NFL. Like, this is a guy that, yeah, some say he's quitting on his team, and I don't like they're like, again, you have two different reactions here that I that I can understand both of meaning like if you're somebody that says, hey, he's take he's looking out for himself, Let's do whatever we can to make sure that when he does come back, he wants to come back here. And then the other side, as the hell of him, he quit, Like I get it on both sides. And Jeff Bram I think has also had to really balance this because, make no mistake about it, he wasn't happy that this decision was made by Colin Lacy. But he also is somebody that and this is this doesn't make I mean, I think Jeff's a really good coach. This isn't something that makes him a good coach. I think it's a good thing to be doing right now, given the way college athletics is. But I just think his nature, his personality, who he is as a dude, he knows he can't control it. So like he's going to adjust and just live with it. You know, he's not gonna you know, he's not somebody that I think is ever going to pout and try to, you know, pull a dabbo like I think Brohm knows like, hey, look if this is what we got to do, it's what we got to do. I want to win. I mean, I think there's a lot you could change that he probably wouldn't like, but he would deal with it because this this is what he does. This is his livelihood. But here is what he was. Here's what he had to say when he was asked about Colin Lacy's decision last week.
Speaker 2: Well, with Colin, you know, we we support all the decisions that our players make that they think is best for them. You know, I was not in agree with the decision. It was not best for our football team, but I understand where he's coming from, and we definitely want to do what's best for all of our players, and we'll always we'll do that because I do think we're not as good a team without him. But the same time, we're going to support him, you know, whatever he wants us to help him with when it came to other guys stepping up.
Speaker 1: So I mean some could say, maybe that's just a canned answer to say whatever you have to say to not look bad, because I think if Brahm said dude's a quitter, we don't want him, there are some fans that would say, oh yeah, but there's other fans that would say, hey, let's let's like, let's not do that because we want to get him back. We know he's really good. So like I think Jeff's balancing this as best he can. I have a hard time thinking he would tell Lacy to kick Rocks if he does want to come back. But I still think this thing plays out the way that that I said it would last week, and it was just trying to you know, just a guess. But I think he'll he'll enter the portal and Louisville will be involved, and he'll probably end up getting an offer that is a lot of money. And he'll probably also end up getting an offer from a team that maybe has a better view of the twenty twenty five season than Louisville meeting. Maybe they've got some momentum that Louivill doesn't have, and he'll go, He'll go. That's that's what I guess happens. Again, keyword there is guess. But when asked if he was, you know, if he'd won him back, no hesitation.
Speaker 2: I mean become a little better overall. It comes when it comes.
Speaker 1: To the wrong clip there. So sorry, he did say I skipped forward a little too farther, but he did say when I like asked, would you welcome him back? And he said, yeah, we'll welcome him back. Didn't really you know, go up, didn't go too high too low on it. But again that's the balancing act if you're a college football coach. I think in you know, five six years ago, most coaches would say kick rocks, dude. But now you know the game has changed, and this guy is looking out for himself. But also he's really good and he could help you. All right, we got two hours left to stick around. Coffee and Company. Fiel Beeth Thornton's that's us right here on it Stock seven ninety