Speaker 1: K b E Houston, k t V HD two Houston, an I Heart radio station. They as that Rocket Sports Talk seven ninety your home for your home team. Salisbury Oldbury Salsbury, Houston. Okay, let's do this. Sewn Salisbury.
Speaker 2: To usc true, longtime friend, Shawn Salisbury.
Speaker 1: Ryan Lon Lima, go Lobos. This is the Sean Salsbury Show.
Speaker 3: They're back in action tonight in Atlanta taking on the Hawks. Six thirty is the tip off, five thirty launch bat right here on seven out of your home for Rockets basketball. The Texans starting interviews for their open O C position. They also hired a new team president. Mike Toeman is the new team president. Seven one three two one two five seven ninety is the number to join. Also, we got some astro stuff to get into. Alex Bregnan reportedly wants thirty million dollars a year. They could be interested in a veteran outfielder infielder, who could that be? That would be later on in the eight o'clock hour, Damien, you're up first, Good morning.
Speaker 4: Hey, good morning guys. One on Brian good mar Son, Hey Son. This these next couple of highs with the Texans. They've got to absolutely nail these highs. I mean they have to for the team's sake, for Stroud's sake. I agree with you saying that they got to get somebody in there that bows Demiko. I got two names I want to throw at you, and I'm gonna hang up and listen to you, guys. One of the names is Josh McCown. Saw what he done. He was on the staff that helped that helped Sam Darnold look like the high pick that he he pretty much was. And another guy who was right right in our division. He's he's won the title. Andy Reid guy, if I'm not mistaken. And uh and Doug Peterson and I hang up and listen to you, man, have a good day.
Speaker 3: Appreciated Damion you as well, real quick. Josh McCown is the name that we mentioned yesterday that potentially could be getting an interview with the Houston Texans. And then I also have seen Sean I've seen Doug Peterson's name floated around quite a bit over the last couple of days. He was obviously let go from the Jackson Peterson well. As a play caller, yeah he really could. He's been really good at it in his career, he'd have a better quarterback than what he had in Jacksonville.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I would say so right now that that would be definitely the call. And I don't think there's any doubt.
Speaker 3: Of course, Josh McCown has ties here to the Houston Texans. Remember what Jack uster be basically wanted him to be the next head coach when he had no head coaching experience. We saw that drama, but he did. Look, Sam Darnol had a really, really good year. He just picked the last two weeks to have his worst games of the season.
Speaker 1: In two big ones, unfortunately for Sam. But listen, I don't have probably. I love Josh McCown, and I see now when they were talking about hiring him his head coach a couple of years ago, it's like it's a little premature. I didn't know how bad that. Yeah, that was been in the league a long time, so well respected and a great dude, but a smart football guy. Teammates loved him, and he's he's got great mind and he needed a little more seasoning and he went and got it from the Kevin O'Connell and Sam's played great football this year. I listen, you have to I would think interview him. He's obviously got some ties here, people love him here and doesn't necessarily mean you gotta hire him. But if he comes in there and wows you, and you're gonna get some same production the Vikings got, and with a quarterback, quite frankly, who's got a chance to elevate to another level here? Why not? I would interview Peterson. I would interview Josh McCowan. I would why not? Why not? Yes, Peterson's called plays and has had Super Bowl run as a head coach, and I just don't take because they struggle to Jacksonville as the head coach that Doug Peterson can't call plays. He can, And I think that'd be a brilliant interview. Figure it out. And he knows the division pretty damn well.
Speaker 3: He does, there's no doubt Man. Seven one three seven ninety Brandon, good morning.
Speaker 2: Good morning, guys. I love the show. By the way, we're talking about Bragman wanting thirty a year, is the current even initial offer worth it, especially now that we need the outfield and seeing san Terre signed for eighteen a year for five in Profar, which I thought would have been a great get for fourteen for three with the Braves. Is there anybody else out there that would be better value or two guys versus even given Bregman is the initial offer we offered.
Speaker 3: I'll hang up to listening. Yeah, Verdigo is still available RF he is. Alex Roduguez is still a free agent. I think with with the way that the lineup is constructed right now, if you bring back Alex Bregman for the six for one fifty six uh twenty six a year, and it extends your lineup tremendously, now, would you have to move pieces around to uh get al Tuo Vane left field? We heard it from Joe Spotted himself on Saturday at Fanfiest. They're going to do whatever, uh to accommodate it. Hoose yeah about yeah, yeah yeah, Hosey. So I think for the for the value. Look, man, if he for me, and we got asked by Tiffany asked us, what's the max that we would pay Alex Bregnan for me? I said it since day one and Sean you were on the same page with me for me and ain't it's nothing higher than twenty seven million?
Speaker 1: Okay, what's he had down? What do we got from twenty that's twenty six year, right, correct, I'm willing to go over six years, add a million bucks to twenty seven. Yeah, I would stay at twenty mas. That's it. But that's almost as if I'm if I'm negotiating against somebody else. Yeah, this offer's been on the table, you've had every you've had a month, well well more than a month, down to go out and get whatever whatever you think you can find. Here's what we have. And since then, now we've made decisions. We've traded Kyle Tucker, We've got you, traded a middle infield taken care of. We've traded a closer who was pitching in the eightheen eighties going to close for Chicagolander. We've Verlanders. A lot of things have happened. And in truth, if it was a Prick franchise, which this isn't, somebody else would go in there and say, well, we're going to offer you less now because you've got no we're going to take it down to twenty five million a year, six years for what would that be a buck fifty? So six years for a buck fifty. So we're going to take it down to twenty five because well some of that money's been spent. Well, you just freed some up with Ryan Presley regardless, Now you're not going to do that. That's respect for Alex Spreagman, I get it. But if that's on the table and you're not negotiating against anybody else, Because if there's a twenty eight million dollar offer out there, I think he would have taken it. He would have. So at that point in time, if I get to twenty seven and he says it's thirty or bust, you got to move on. You just have to move on. Thirty sixty ninety one hundred and eighty million dollars for six years, correct, that's what it would end up being. I get why he wants it, and I would ask for it too, But at some point in time there, if nobody's giving you that, why would I give you that? Now it's a do you love us or do you not?
Speaker 2: Mean?
Speaker 1: Not only do we love him, but he's got to love us. So if you want to come back at this offer, it's fine. That's still pretty hefty, but I'm not. It's twenty seven millions about the max for me. Now, if we hadn't done anything, there's nobody there then that he holds the leverage. Does he hold it right?
Speaker 2: Now?
Speaker 1: That's a question to me. I don't believe he does. No. And like I said, when you say, what you think you'd do as an owner has nothing to do with how I feel about Alex Regman the player. I don't know him personally, but I like the guy and I think he is a He's got so many traits outside of baseball that you like. Yeah, and in the club, all those things. But let's call like we see it. His offense offensive production must get better like it was in two thousand and nine, and you may not get that year, but it's got to be somewhere in between what you've seen and what he did when he was at an MVP candidate the whole year. And the most alarming thing is that year like one hundred and eighteen walks and he had forty plus this year. That's that's a that that that it's a major so why and with more at bats why? So that's something you got to look at. But I'm not Tiffany. I'm not. He doesn't get an announced over twenty seven, and if they do pay him more twenty eight twenty, then they feel that they haven't answered their questions yet. But to me, I think that if Alex Bregman wants to move on for the same price or a half a million more a year somewhere else, maybe a risk you have to take, but not at the thirty million a year. If he was getting it somewhere else, Alex Bregman would have already been under contract, getting ready to go to spring training somewhere else.
Speaker 3: If somebody would have offered him twenty eighty year, he would have been gone. I feel like unless he's just a really gung hole on thirty million a year.
Speaker 1: So if he is, then he's going to have to hold out for it.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and we're just enging.
Speaker 1: Cultures the business side, not what I listen. Do I want all the best players here? Of course, who doesn't, but at what expense?
Speaker 2: Yeah?
Speaker 1: And there comes a point in time when you cannot let team hold the player hostage and player hold the team hostage, and you also have a bunch of other guys you got to think about who do I got to get ready, and if Paradis is really going to play second base, you got to take some ground balls, got to get him going, because once you get there, third base isn't exactly an easy position to play right, So he's got to find some focus, just like Altuve would if breg Bregman dictates about three or four positions right now, So it's got he You cannot leave it in flux. If you talk about player empowerment and players you want to give them a clear conscience and give them a real chance to compete. We're there. It's time. It's time to make a decision and live with it. Yeah, put your put put put the fist down.
Speaker 3: Let's go. Yeah, you've got to draw a line, and it's got to be a concrete not the sand. Yeah exactly. Yeah, seven seven ninety is the number to join the show. Let's get to the stake out next right here on Sports Talk seven to eighty