Speaker 1: Welcome to episode five fifty five of five and five. It is Thursday, June eighteenth. I am your host, Greig Coldstein, joined as usual by Patrick Tabuk and Jeffrey patron Ostro. How's everyone doing today? Okay, just taking a long drink of water. Patrick's nodding silently. Everything's going really good.
Speaker 2: Very lime Seltzer, craig o.
Speaker 1: Water.
Speaker 2: I mean the kid calls it spicy water.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's a kind of water. Yeah, Seltzer is a kind of water. I think I'm allowed to to say that.
Speaker 3: Yeah. It was the last day of school to day, which means I've spent the last two days driving back and forth to school like ten times. Yeah.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's for the two of you spending time, yeah, seven lone time in the car, you know, really, you know, ultimately comes down to which audiobook I'm reading while I'm driving for fifteen minutes at a time in the car, and I didn't pick a great audiobook?
Speaker 3: What are you?
Speaker 1: What are you going to trash?
Speaker 3: Now? It's actually a good book. It's a sports writer by Richard Ford. Okay, it is just I am not in the right place for a miserable divorced dad lying to me about how miserable and divorced he is. And it's fourteen hours long of that. It's a lot. And that's that is my entire review of that book. It's funny, like nothing has happened in the book. I'm about a quarter the way through nowadays, I know when I keep thinking about this, like when I was when I was thinking about writing a novel when I was younger, thinking I had to. One of the things that stopped me is that I can't think.
Speaker 2: Of plot, and I thought, you know, disqualifying.
Speaker 3: It would be disqualifying. You think that something would have to happen in the story, and as it turns out, no, I just I'm never wrong.
Speaker 2: Yeah, just early.
Speaker 1: Uh, I have Finally, I've struggled to pick up a book. I've been reading The Future, which I started a long time It's by Naomi Alderman. I started a long time ago and then put down. I don't even remember why. But it's good. It's good the whole time. Things are happening. Even early in the book. I would say, I'm not quite halfway through, but I'm enjoying it. It is not uplifting in the sense that it is about like it's a. It's very much a commentary on the current age and time and communication methods and like social media and society. And it's good, though I don't know I would recommend it thus far. I'll follow up when I actually finish a book, which might be the end of the year at this rate, but we'll see, Jeff. Anything you want to oh, I will say, Patrick, one of the reasons you said it was the last day of school. I know, not to blow up your spot here, but you had to participate in setting up for an eighth grade graduate school. And I just want to take that as a springboard for myself to reiterate my point, which is, I think unless you're getting a degree, if you're getting some sort of diploma, I don't think that there should be like a parent involved ceremony. I think you should be honored. I am all for celebrating and honoring the students at any juncture, Honestly, I just don't think it needs to be I don't think there needs to be Like you said it was at night. It's what's that night is is actual. That's like high school and college graduations are are so.
Speaker 3: Craig.
Speaker 1: My college one was during the day. My high school one wasn't night.
Speaker 3: Craig is formally announcing that he doesn't think you should go to your kids recorded recital.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's right.
Speaker 1: That's what I asked if I could not, and I want people to understand this, I asked not to go to my college graduation.
Speaker 3: I did, like I didn't go to my undergrad one. I went.
Speaker 1: I tried not to.
Speaker 3: I went to my and then regretted it.
Speaker 1: I went. I went to my I went to my undergrad one, and my mom made me go. I said, can we just skip this? I went to just some people. I went to UMass Amherst, the large school. There was no walking across the stage.
Speaker 2: You do in the field house there that we were.
Speaker 1: In the football stadium, and we were told as a school, I in the school of management, and as a school we were told stand up, yeah, congratulate, you know, switch your tassel, sit down, and we after leaving that, my mom like, we exit the state and whatever. My mom goes, yeah, you're right. We didn't need to do this.
Speaker 3: No, I mean, although the best part was probably when somebody came up and gave a speech twenty years in advance about how there's this going to be the thing called AI and you'd better welcome it.
Speaker 1: We we did not have a commencement speaker, so we had we had like a student speaker. I would also know Bill Murray. No, not Bill Murray. Bill, Why am I Bill? Is it Packsing or Pullman?
Speaker 3: Now?
Speaker 1: I said Murray, back, it's the guy from from Independence Day who gives this speech. Billah, yeah, okay, So a guy named Bill was up there, Bill Bill Pullman was receiving an honorary degree. That yeah, and which was fine. I don't care. But he was receiving an honorary degree, and I thought, we don't have a like a like a celebrity or even like a business person like commencement speaker. You can't just get him up there to do theendancy.
Speaker 3: I know people are against snary degrees, but like the man did say the world no absolutely.
Speaker 1: I look, I was thrilled to to celebrate with him. What is he there? What is he getting an honorary degree there for? If not to give a little speech.
Speaker 2: At some point to say they gave him an honorary degree. I don't even know.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yess I don't anyway, Yeah, I am again I'm against all of it and don't don't.
Speaker 3: Don't go to the s And now we conclude the single happiest segment of this.
Speaker 2: Podcast, Craig saying, don't spend more time with your kids?
Speaker 1: Are you with them?
Speaker 3: Well?
Speaker 2: Fair enough?
Speaker 3: I guess every day could be a record of recital.
Speaker 1: They have to fract You've heard it before, trust me, all right? Our first segment, Natty.
Speaker 2: Bow No, in a while I would bring it back.
Speaker 1: Yeah. I wouldn't say my Raise take is aging that badly, but in conjunction with my Orioles take, I wouldn't say it's going well right. The Orioles are struggling. There are four and six in their last ten, as are the Rays, but they're not capitalizing on it. They are five under five hundred. Still, they are a mere one and a half games out of the wilds card. Of course, it's not going great though. Nodbe Mayo was briefly hitting three yrun homers every few games. He's since lost a lot of playing time to Blaze Alexander, who in the Orioles defense, and I guess somewhat a defense of Kobe Mayo, Blaize Alexander has been absolutely incendiary. His line in seventeen games since twenty seventh, four seventy seven, five, twenty seven point fifty. I guess it's fair to lose playing time to that guy. Sure, it's not helping them win enough games, so no, which has led h There was an article at the Athletic UH to Cal Ripken getting more involved on the field. I did not get a chance to read this, so I'm going to turn this over to Jeff.
Speaker 2: Every organization needs their own Jeff Bagwell or Buster Posey, and cal Ripkin is here to help with the fundamentals because they don't focus enough on the fundamentals. There were some players quoting Chris Bassett says they're not mean enough to young players.
Speaker 1: I'm sry, like specifically said they're not mean enough.
Speaker 2: I mean that was the implication. I don't want to say.
Speaker 3: I like that. The article does say, does go out? I would says Bassett acknowledged his five point two seventy RA as a factor.
Speaker 2: Also, he was never a young player who was up at like he didn't establish himself with Yeah, and then Pete Alonzo had had a saying that it's too easy for the minor leaguers nowadays because they play six games and then have a day off. And it wasn't like when he was there in twenty eighteen. You know, it was the men were men and whatnot, and you really had to grind and earned it, which led to a great, great line in the Frog Kids discord. Remember who was from saying I didn't know that old player skills included takes and wass There's stuff in the background going on with Sampasio and how injured he is or isn't.
Speaker 1: They keep playing right?
Speaker 2: Yes, yeah, but he sort of keep playing him.
Speaker 1: Yeah, right, he's getting days off, but then they play him even.
Speaker 2: They're claiming he should be playing more.
Speaker 3: At the end they go to give him a three three day break to make sure he understand he needed to play more often.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean, what is it?
Speaker 1: Is it good for all of this to be happening under a first year manager?
Speaker 3: Honestly, I mean, compared to the first year manager we'll be talking about it a bit at least, this one seems like he's kind of trying to figure out what's going on.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I just I mean, this was this is a flawed team coming into the season. Obviously we've talked about. I'm also paying and yeah, I just.
Speaker 1: Want to say this in regards to Misiah, like they want him to play more. His last twenty eight days he has a just under seven hundred ops. Yeah, his last fourteen days it's five forty two.
Speaker 2: He might be playing through something, but she means they basically said he's playing through something.
Speaker 3: Which certainly has never happened with Orioles Catchers within like the last two years before.
Speaker 2: Madley Rashman is also a little bit beat up, and he's come back to earth too.
Speaker 1: I also likes, as I said, all off season looking at Elie de la Cruz, and there was someone else who I'm forgetting, but like, stop stop playing through this stuff. It's not good, Like it is not actually helping. And I know that the Orioles are not deep exactly, so their other options aren't great. But like the best thing that they can do is get psio.
Speaker 3: But they also have to teach him how to play, to be tough, and like if he if he plays through enough injuries now he won't get hurt.
Speaker 2: Like I mean, Jim Palmer, who you would think would be a crotchety old man, I love this as he is a crotchety old man generally he is.
Speaker 1: But but he was like they're insightful.
Speaker 2: Yeah, He's like they're not handling this well, like I don't know what message they're trying to send.
Speaker 3: Like, but in defense of Albertnaz, this far more than what's going on later. This seems like it is being handed down to Albernaz rather than Alburnaz being the one trying to establish all this stuff. He's he is.
Speaker 2: Winning with right. If you want more insight into this, I'm reliably informed that the owner is working on a book about leadership.
Speaker 1: Yes you have that to read, yes, well, and also likessons in baseball, like you've been the owner for like two years? Two yeah, one to two years? Like what are what? Mostly not done anything?
Speaker 3: I'm actually in the middle.
Speaker 2: Of trade taught me about business to business sales.
Speaker 3: I didn't finish my article for today, but one of the things I want I wrote about was that, uh, you know, basalad Basio has been fine, Yes, like he has a.
Speaker 2: Bad start and a RC plus really hot and then he's cooled off because he's been heard.
Speaker 3: But also one fourteen dr C plus for a you know essentially or is he still I think he's still rookie eligible he had like one hundred and eighteen played experiances Like that's good. Like in any other year it'd be great. In this year, there are just a ton of good rookies right now, and.
Speaker 2: He's got he's got a better line than JJ weatherhole right, defensive second base.
Speaker 1: To be clear, it's not just d r C. Plus he has a one nineteen ops like it matches, right, Yeah, it's not like underperforming with good good peripherals, right, It's just he's just been good.
Speaker 2: He's twenty one.
Speaker 3: Yeah, he's twenty one.
Speaker 1: You enjoy it last.
Speaker 2: You'll never see a twenty one year old Major leaguer again.
Speaker 3: Oh god, we'll get there, please the entire There's going to be threads, tendrils snaking, and other topics. Yeah. I think the very funniest thing about this article. At one point, who's the author is and girling. At one point they were like, if there were a metric, I'm trying to find where they said it. If a metric existed for teams that routinely beat themselves, call it botched plays above average. The more recent verses, the Royals are probably among the league leaders. Guys, all right, so I understand that we're VP.
Speaker 2: They're not that bad that they're not that bad defencively, they're they're not.
Speaker 3: First of all, yes, they're not that bad defensively. Part of it is Rutchman, but like there we have them nineteenth and DRP.
Speaker 4: It's it's around average and d But even if you go to like basic basic stats like feeling percentage errors, they're below average but not so so.
Speaker 1: Again, I didn't get to see it, but is it? Is it stuff like allowing runners to advance or like throwing on the wrong base or like.
Speaker 3: That's the thing man, if if there were consider going to be.
Speaker 2: A stat where you have the high profile how.
Speaker 3: Many times you made mistakes by errors, They're fine, they're not that bad.
Speaker 2: It has good fielding plays and bad fielding plays.
Speaker 1: Right, Yeah, we don't.
Speaker 3: It's just so nebulous, and at a time when they are like twenty fifth and d RA, which is not as nebulous. Right, they're an average hitting team and a below average pitching team, and boy, it's sure is those extra couple of outs they give?
Speaker 2: Yeah, Pete Alonzo plays every day, so congratulations, you have above average first basement. I will say he's going to be a three win first basement. Again, that's fine, but like he wasn't solving this.
Speaker 1: Alonso is not the problem.
Speaker 2: No, bet Alonso was not the problem. Pet Alonzo was also not the solution, right, Like.
Speaker 1: They needed some hitting. Sure, right, I think I take your point, and I'm not trying to defend tel Ripkin or the article necessarily. But but when you're pitching is twenty twenty six, Kevin, I can't talk today. Trevor Rogers, Yeah, like and and Chris Bassett, Yes, giving up those extra outs probably does hurt quite a bit.
Speaker 3: Sure they could just pitch better.
Speaker 1: No, no, Patrick, they can't.
Speaker 2: Brandon Young is doing everything he can.
Speaker 1: Brandon well, notice I didn't say Brandon Young brand and Young is doing everything he can.
Speaker 3: Yes, it's they can.
Speaker 1: Chris Bassett cannot pitch better.
Speaker 2: Actually, no, we can't. It's just Shane Boz and Kyle Bradish are too, right, but.
Speaker 1: Bos has been Brandish and boss have both been better of late.
Speaker 3: Yeah, to me, in this article, it really has a we're all just trying not to find out the guy who did this, right, this is all Please don't look at the basic problem here, which is that you had a rebuilding club that didn't build anyth you know, didn't build enough.
Speaker 1: Yes, that is right. This this is ultimately I think we would all agree. The Orioles would probably not all agree, but we would all agree that this is a Michael Lias problem.
Speaker 2: Yes, and he has a first year manager, so he's already gotten rid of his last manager. Like at a certain point the magnifying glass does turned.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I mean I would. I would say just looking back, like the last twenty eight days are four starts, Boz has a two point two ers. They have they have pitched better. British has been a little more up down. He was looking very good, had back to back five runs starts. But I mean, but in general, I think.
Speaker 2: This has not been a bad offense. But also like the best ops on this team is eight oh three and it's Pee Alonso, your first baseman. Right, It's just not like they have like a bit of the Cubs problem where there's no.
Speaker 1: It's also like Taylor Ward is both a one to fourteen ops plus and also uh slugging three fifty two.
Speaker 2: Right, And like, I mean, the big problem here is Gunner Henderson has not been good. Like Gunnar Henderson should be the guy that is carrying this lineup with Alonso and Besaio and Rushman as the supporting players, right, and he's been a blowion.
Speaker 1: He should be like you said, there's there's the Cubs problem, but like there shouldn't be the Cubs.
Speaker 2: There shouldn't be a Cub problem, right.
Speaker 1: And like they they Yeah, I mean he's he's had a very good week. He's in nine to seventy one ops this week, but like, so you hope he's breaking out, but sure, you can't be sure about it. Yeah, it's it's been a rough go Baltimore. I do want. I guess the question I would have in Baltimore is when is the clock ticking on? Michael Lias? I mean I think the clock is ticking now? When does it run out?
Speaker 3: Right?
Speaker 1: Legitimately?
Speaker 3: Yeah. The second what's interesting about this article is that the first half of it is about the fundamentals and ripped and everything, and then as the story goes on, it kind of morphs into a much more interesting and difficult to answer question, which is why is the development not working? And I think that as that question gets ends up being the first half of the article, in the next piece, right, and you start wondering, Okay, you tanked. Why didn't it work? I don't think that Elias will have any more ways to move the shells.
Speaker 1: Around, right, I mean you look at what they well, and frankly, the way he tanked isn't even really as effective anymore. The measures that they've put in place for draft penalties for picking multiple times, you know, for being in the bottom six or whatever it.
Speaker 2: Is, and they haven't They have not drafted well. They've taken pretty big swings with like Van tone Cutt does.
Speaker 1: Well, like they did briefly right, like they got well.
Speaker 2: Did but like so Henderson's was I guess not injuries causing that, but I mean, look getting him to the majors and the way he's performing the majors went health that is a win. But you look outside, like Elie Rushman was the obvious one one that year. Yes, they drafted him good. Uh you know, Jackson Holliday was there other one one pick they have not really developed.
Speaker 1: We'll see, Yeah, it's been it was very smooth and that it was.
Speaker 2: He does not look like an impact player in the majors. There are other high picks like they got. They did a lot of cost saving moves with Kowser and Karstad, which is fine, and like Cowser was good for a bit. I think injuries have caught him up there. But also like the guys for like the cost saving, the cost savings that they used later in the draft, like they haven't they don't have the depth. They're going out and having to get Jeremiah Jackson and Laoti Tavarius and Blaze Alexander because those second and third round picks have not really worked out.
Speaker 1: Mm hmm.
Speaker 2: You know, they haven't developed pitching really at all, like k Povich and I guess they traded Bowmeister, but yeah, Chase McDermot.
Speaker 1: Chase mc dermott they picked up and then didn't didn't do much.
Speaker 2: With and like at a certain point like if you're not if you're.
Speaker 1: If they traded they traded five recent.
Speaker 2: Yeah, high probably going to be on the mid season fifty.
Speaker 1: Yeah, he's had anough. I mean like the pitching that they did develop, right, Like Michael Forett, I don't know if I'm saying that right, I apologize, like he was a breakout arm and they trade them to the race guess Bowmeister and and for it, right, and like there were multiple first round picks in that they traded who's the outfielder, right, he's got the crazy name Slaid something.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, yeah, I don't know.
Speaker 1: I don't like that's fair to say. I just think they had to have they have had some multiple or god, I cannot talk today everyone. I apologize. Notable wins, yeah, but to your point, they are expected wins.
Speaker 2: There, even I mean, Henderson's a big win. But when you're going from a fifty win team like you.
Speaker 1: Need yeah, yeah, you need to do better than they've done.
Speaker 2: Yeah, That's that's the reality. When you tear it down, it does get hard to build it back up, Like it's you're seeing this with the Tigers right now too, right, and the Tigers, I think I've had probably had a similar level of success on this rebuild. Obviously they've gotten deeper in the playoffs. They have been quite as good in the regular season. I mean, I think part of that too is like they have not won a playoff game, like that's been a playoff series. Even when they told that, you don't get some of the riz visual good feelings, like it's not really helping David certain so they got to the NLCS, But like I would think, you.
Speaker 1: Know, there's a halo usually a halo right.
Speaker 2: That the Orioles don't have because of their you know, lack of success in the playoffs.
Speaker 3: Yeah, the pe Alonzo's quotes in here about about the players need to be tougher, it's very easy to dismiss them and probably correct dismiss them, but it kind of underlines this weird uh dissonance.
Speaker 2: Here and like to to Alonzo's credit, like it's not like he he was a very like he got himself there if you go back and read like got imports, but Alanzo on miners like there's no there's like, there is no way he is playing the field in the majors out there, and he worked very hard at his defense.
Speaker 1: We killed him, yep, he read very various points.
Speaker 2: He built as swinging from a college bat swing into the one that you know got him one hundred and fifty million dollar contract. So I mean he did all of these things, but he's just you know, it's he's always been a little bit cringe and like it's it's coming out in different ways in the or in like the the oriole I don't know how the Oriols fans are reacting to this honestly, and I know he's been pretty good for them, but like he doesn't have the built up goodwill as being like a homegrown Mets player, and even towards the end of his Mets tenures some of the stuff of feeling a little bit it's if it does feel like fake leadership, right, like he hasn't actually been here and he's just kind of saying this.
Speaker 1: I would guess that he has the credentials.
Speaker 2: Sure he does in a major league locker room, he does, but like, also, I don't know, Yeah, he's I won't. I don't believe in this, I say concept, but if I can see people looking at it, like Peter A. Lonzo is not a winning player? What is he won?
Speaker 1: I think that's I understand people might do that. What what he's won is, I don't know, Rookie of the Year and five All Star appearances. Yes, that's kind of what he can control. But yeah, I know, well, but that's what he can It's OK, it's a baseball team. What does Mike Trout want? Is gonna say, Mike Trout.
Speaker 2: I had terrible locker room issues and like terrible late seasons in a lot of cases while he was there. I'm not saying this is like solely on people.
Speaker 1: All the winners that they've brought in have also been subject to those things. Turns out it's a team issue, and.
Speaker 2: I know what I'm saying. It's like, I just it feels a little come in from him at this point.
Speaker 1: I think my view on it is that that's like mets tinged coded, that's tin slash coded. Then like more than an actual issue, I would guess that exists from from like Baltimore, either fans or players. I think the players almost certainly buy into, buy into his credibility on this stuff.
Speaker 3: Interesting Also, it's not hard to buy into because it's just the thing that ball players say. Yeah, it's not like Alonso is saying anything really all that different than a lot of thirty one year old players would say. Right. Uh, they all feel like they had it hard, and they all.
Speaker 1: Feel like it's you know, and also is even some of the younger players think they need to be tougher.
Speaker 3: Right, and because they've been listening to thirty one year olds, right, And but the question is, like you have an offense that's full of broken twenty five year olds. Yeah, the question is should you have broken them earlier, Like is the reason that the Orioles have had so many health problems and because they're not, they're being too soft or are they broken? Because people break and you should just try not to break them and be soft, right Like, it's whatever you do. People are just going to swing the pendu on the other side and blame the other side of them, right.
Speaker 1: I think that's true. I also think it's influenced by the quality of playing. Look, you really want Samuel Bisio to play through some stuff because the guy replacing Samuel Bisio is is Sam Huff. To Sam Huff, if you're if you're Blake Snell on the Dodgers, they're not necessarily saying pitch through it, Blake because they can and they apparently it's Eric Lower, which I would say is not that different from the situation to sam Huff. But like they could call up River Ryan if they want, or it's Justin Robleski or Emma Sheehan or whatever. Right like, they they've made their choice, but they have actual depth the Orioles, as you said.
Speaker 3: Every single game that he pitched the rest of the year and still have a better the Orioles, Right Like, the position in the standings.
Speaker 1: Yeah, but well I think that's but I think that speaks to my point. Right, the Orioles are both behind the eight ball in the standings, and they the drop off from Besio to Huff even just percept and in terms of perception internally within the organization and in the clubhouse is like, man, we need you out there, right, we need to win games because we're behind, and we need you to play through your your wrist thing and not only play through it, but actually succeed while doing it like we need. Of course it is I'm not I don't want to. I want to be clear. I'm not endorsing it, but I do think it influences the mindset there of you know, if if it's Adley, let's say it's that one of they actually I mean they do have a d H and whatever. But let's see this situation is Basio was in the minors or whatever and it's Adley and it's like no, no, like Adley go heal, Like we'll go to Basio. It's fine. It's not fine going away from Basio right now. It's not fine. If Gunner's playing through something, they don't have a good option outside of gunn right. The answer is you actually just need it. In their mindset is you need a nut up because we need you to come through while you're hurt. Because hand hand, I'm with you, Patrick, but I do I do think. I think it is influenced by the context of where the Organs and I think again, to me, it goes back to Elias and exactly what you said, which is they didn't actually build during their rebuild, they didn't bring in the infrastructure.
Speaker 3: I just wish that after one hundred and fifty years of baseball, we could figure out whether it's how to handle a minor league right like, and it would you would.
Speaker 2: Think, like them smaller, right, Yeah, I guess it smaller.
Speaker 3: There's another alleges.
Speaker 1: One might say they put a coat of paint on the bottom of a pool, as opposed to it addressing the actual issue.
Speaker 3: Sometimes I feel like these teams like having these things be nebulous because then their fallback arguments, and that's really what.
Speaker 2: It's Also like, you can't blame Michael Oias because there's been too many injuries.
Speaker 1: Yeah, too bad.
Speaker 3: We can never figure that out. I guess we can't blame anyone.
Speaker 1: All right, are we are? We done with the os. We saw the oils. It's Michael OAS's fault. We'll go to or second segment. We'll be reading marks where I'm from. I will tell you, Jeff, I pulled this up. I very much enjoyed the song. I would never have I would not have ever known. I mean, I don't know. It's it's very much up my alley of things I would have listened to, but I did not know it at all. Really liked it, really liked it. The League and the PA met again today. We have I guess this was a League proposal day.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I guess.
Speaker 1: That's the That's everything that's come out of the meeting has been about the league, the league's latest proposal, or I guess we got details on some of the prior stuff. They also met with the Fan Council fan counsel.
Speaker 2: Yes, I don't care, I'm like so I They did explain some more details on their cat proposal to the Fan Council, which included that you can be under one the floor one year as long as the average for three years is over.
Speaker 1: Yes, it's not a floor.
Speaker 2: It's not a floor. They wanted eighty percent. They want you to know that eighty percent of fans support a salary camp. I don't know where they're pointing those studies from. Uh that five guys, yeah, uh And like before the stuff that came out this morning, I was just thinking about this, Like I said this the last time this came up. I think there is a scenario where a camp floor system and a greed revenue split is good long term for the players. But I just don't trust these fuckers that are offering it like they're going to find every sin because that's what they do. They're going to find every single way to save a dollar here, a dollar there, five million dollars a team here, just because that's how they want to operate in their business. That's their mindset.
Speaker 1: Yes, we've seen this. By the way, the NBA, yeah, and n had. You know, they agreed to a revenue split with the players and a salary a soft cat is very complicated, don't get me wrong. And then you know, eventually there's they implemented a second apron and again that was part of the agreement, but they powered their way to a second apron and it's never enough.
Speaker 2: The owner of the Knicks, who commercifully we have not had to hear from for the last year or two, but now have to hear from a lot, says he will absolutely not go into the second apron. You can't go into the second apron for a team that just won a title, right and you know it has a decent chance to repeat if they keep it together and sign up some ring chasing veterans, et cetera, et cetera. But I can't go into the second apron.
Speaker 1: Yeah, And I say that not to say, you know, I'm not I'm not specifically passing judgment on right and wrong. But the point is that there's an example, an existing example of how it does not stop. Like they will not sit back and say, let's just print this agreement every five years, you know, going forward. That's not how it works. They search for the next game, be it marginal or very stolen.
Speaker 2: Made enough money off this next season that he could literally press every single drad JD in this straight shot album from now on in solid gold vinyl twenty four here at gold Vinyl albums. But it's not enough, right, Like it's so it's like you gotta win. It's like it's like the Macro's always who are we verses? Right, there's got to be that aspect to it. And these are all these yer all billionaires, right like, and there we can get to the draft proposal where they're going to cut to the twelve rounds and we're gonna we're gonna get to the bonus pool by But it's just like it's yeah, it's.
Speaker 1: So, it's also but I also want to pliny and this is it's.
Speaker 2: So just like charmless and feckless.
Speaker 1: And this is also written large of our our society, right, is that these guys who have won, Yeah, they've won, they've won it life, they've won it, business, they've won everything, they've won and they've won and they won, they also want to be liked. Damn well they do. They do. That's why everything is.
Speaker 2: I guess they are just worse at understanding how that go about that than others. I suppose, Oh yeah.
Speaker 3: You think well.
Speaker 1: John Fisher recently came out and said, I guess I should have been more like people should have heard more from me during the the ACE, And I thought, dude, like, I mean, on one hand, yeah, absolutely, and on another like, not you specifically, because you make everything worse.
Speaker 2: This is kind of a top down problem too, because like every time Rob Bandfred opens his mouth about baseball, it just it feels like it's coming from someone that doesn't like or understand the sport. Yeah, trying to win a PR battle well.
Speaker 1: Because he got into the sport by trying to crush the union. That was that was his entrance into labor negotiations that he needed to win for the owners. So yeah, yeah, it's just it's it's never gonna be enough. And and look, I think you can say.
Speaker 5: That is.
Speaker 1: Generally true of the PA, or like should be true of the PA. And look, I think there are there are situations out there where unions have had too much sway and grabbed too much, and that can happen. That's not where we're at right now, right in this situation. And if we get to that point, I would say this is bad. Right there, there are you know, there are, and the union has done a lot of bad things, frankly, like the Union has screwed up a ton of stuff on amateur rights.
Speaker 2: And this week to give cord of like some of the legislation trying to tamp down an IL and transfers and stuff like this.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and these are like the PA I saw the league the PA didn't comment. I thought of the peating.
Speaker 2: Maybe I missed what I saw.
Speaker 1: It might have been that they commented and I missed it. But I saw the league came out in favor of it, and I at the time I had seen there was no comment from the PA. So yeah, the other details, I don't know where. Where would you like to start, Jeff?
Speaker 2: I mean, the the big one I saw this morning was the they want to scale the draft down to twelve rounds, they want an international draft, and they want to basically ban high schoolers and make every sophomore eligible. This is I mean, look, there are three things going on here. One, they're saving each team five million dollars a year, which is nothing, but they don't They'll save it if they can.
Speaker 1: Yeah, So I will just read the post from from Jeff, and I think J. J. Cooper had the original reporting on this. I want to be clear, but just passing put it pretty succinctly, which is MLB today proposed an overhauled domestic amateur entry system that removes high school players from the drafts, makes college players eligible after sophomore year, shortens the draft from twenty to twelve rounds and cuts bonus pool from current three hundred and fifty eight point seven million to two hundred million, So that's one hundred and sixty million off the top right there. Right Also to your point in the they want to make an international draft as opposed to the current system. That would also be twelve rounds and also two hundred million I think in bonus port money.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's just and obviously is not just coming from the bottom eight picks. Those are one hundred and fifty thousand team they're cutting. They're going to cut bonuses the top of the draft as well to make this work. And look, there are three things happening here. One, they want to pawn off player development to colleges as much as possible, because anytime you're can have these baseball players shape by the Tony B. Betello's of the world, you have to do it. It's also they this will be part and Parcel is probably cutting another a ball level or a complex league level as well, if they just won't have as many contacts and force. And the knock on effect is if everybody's signing it twenty twenty one, like you're gonna have less fewer twenty five and twenty six year old free agents.
Speaker 1: Right, it would be functionally impossible, right.
Speaker 2: Right, You're gonna have these free agents hitting at twenty eight, twenty nine, thirty and up. They're too old to get a long term contract. Now, we don't want to pay for your decline period. It's all.
Speaker 1: It's also, I will tell you my first reaction to this was they're cutting the miners, right, Like, this is more more cuts to the miners. And obviously this happened part and parcel. Last time they cut the draft from from forty rounds to twenty, they eliminated forty minor league teams. This, as Jeff said, like they go hand in hand in terms of of eliminating that. And my first reaction was, they're cutting the miners. And also, like, these guys hate the sport. And I don't just mean Major league baseball. They hate baseball, Little B baseball, right, Baseball, Minor league baseball is an entryway and I'm not Look, I understand a lot of the minor league teams still exists as partner draft leagues and whatever. They don't get as much attention.
Speaker 3: They don't.
Speaker 1: I'm sorry, they just do not, and they don't These set of owners. This set of owners do not like they just don't like the game.
Speaker 2: It's such a tiny cost center. Like they don't have to run the teams, right, they just have to pay the players. Right, You've got these most of it, I know most of it is now owned by venture capital. But like, this is basically free marketing for your sport, or extremely cheap marketing for your cheaper it's cheaper marketing for your sport.
Speaker 1: And it's it's an actual accessible entryway to it, right, which the price of going into a major league game is ridiculous going off after almost certainly, but like it's ridiculous, it is, and it's prohibitive. I mean, it is absolutely prohibitive. And I meant it not only reduces access to fans, but it reduces access to players too. And I point this out. Yes, they absolutely want to shift the cost to college, like you said, but I point this out if you take high school players out of out of the pool and say you have to go to the draft, which absolutely the NFL does and the NBA does. I understand that if you're a multi understand multi sport players are not a huge portion of the draft pool of talent. I know but if you are a multi sport athletic.
Speaker 2: You find a lot of money the draft than you think.
Speaker 1: And you do get shunted to college. Do you think you're going to specialize if you're forced to specialize, which you have limited time so you don't have to.
Speaker 2: Necessarily, But your top level acc or SEC recruiters a football player as well, you're probably making more an nil.
Speaker 1: You're making more than nil as a football player. And frankly, if you're a basketball baseball player, somehow you're also making more money in basketball. Right, So your MLB is suggesting to you essentially, I know they're not putting it this way, but it really is suggesting to those multi sport athletes to fuck off from baseball. That is their suggestion.
Speaker 2: I mean this all we can talk about them wanting to guarantee profitability, guarantee you know that the value the franchise continues to go up in a predictable way. But like, ultimately this is just they don't like their workers. They don't like their workers and their jobs that made them the money, or if they're you know, they they don't. This is disciplining labor is all. It is, like they these players are more popular and more fast. Is why you get James don't want out front of all this shit too. These players are more popular, like this is like we don't actually need Dickmond for it, for any of this.
Speaker 1: Well, and that goes to my point of what I was saying about. They want to be liked needs to be about them. Yeah, they don't like that. It's not about them and their abilities, right, and they're what you know, they're abilities are highly questionable, but they think they're not right, and they want to be recognized as brilliant and saviors and you know they want they want all the attention.
Speaker 2: And look, if you actually win, the trophy gets handed to you first. So try to actually win maybe instead of.
Speaker 1: And then they hate the guys who do.
Speaker 3: But the way they want to win is not to be better than everyone else. The way they want to win is to make sure that nobody else can be better than them, which is a very different thing, right, I mean, so CHICKI puppin on this guy made this post and we were talking about players basically not being able to reach the majors until twenty three under these new rules. So a quarter of all Hall of Famers debuted at the age of twenty three or later most of those.
Speaker 1: Which means yeah, and.
Speaker 3: Most of them were before the integration, Like it's only been twenty since. You are cutting off major league quality performance from being able to play in the major leagues. Not major league quality, yeah, a major.
Speaker 1: League like well above average major league.
Speaker 3: I mean, these play, these Hall of famers, you know, when they're twenty one, like they're having Samuel Beside Greer year.
Speaker 2: One of the one of the clearest markers of that you will be a superstar level player, qualifying level players. You have the majors twenty or twenty one.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and then you're good, right, You're you're one leagueles guy, yeah, twenty yeah, sure, and and the league is just saying we're going to make those seasons go away. Yeah, and so it just makes the game worse. You're not having anything.
Speaker 2: And everything like they're doing it so that you know, the end shittification as it were, is so gradual because you have the same number of teams, you have the same number of players actually at any given time, like ball parking, the average talent level, like intellectually is they think it's tough to do, right, Like we know that generally sports or athletic endeavors in general. Over the last one hundred years, like everybody involved gets better, whether it's because of more specialized training, better nutrition, earlier adoption, stuff like that, you know, more access to data and information. In baseball's case, if that slows down, like you're not, like, it's going to be difficult to notice. I think, mmm, and you know major not that the owners care because they're still fielding the same amount of teams, and not even that the players union cares because it's still the same amount of jobs will be there.
Speaker 3: But it's not.
Speaker 1: I mean, well, they're going to produce the miners, and the miners are part of the players.
Speaker 3: Now.
Speaker 2: Look, I think this is a complete non starter for a variety of reasons. It's something that they give up to get their international draft or something else. Yeah, when it comes down to it, it's just not nobody. There's like neither side. There's not enough money in this, and either side is invested enough in it too.
Speaker 1: And it's just it's just such a weak. But it is also a roadmap.
Speaker 2: It is a roadmap.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's something. It's a week.
Speaker 2: The continuation of the roadmap.
Speaker 3: Really right, Well, this is fans get nothing out of this. It's just something that they give up and go, oh, relax, we never really wanted. It's fine now that we've got our compromise. We didn't.
Speaker 2: I mean, you're taking your kid to Nashville Tourist game or whatever a few times a year and that team goes away.
Speaker 1: Yeah, like you do something I do. So to your point of it's it's been a roadmap or it's a continuation of Like I think a lot about Mark Normand and when he first came back to BP and wrote for us, I think the first article he wrote when he came back was Jeff Luna is gone. Jeff Luna is everywhere you look. And this is it, right this, this is part of that. He'll be writing on this stuff for next week, by the way, and I guarantee you there's a link in there. If you missed it, he'll he'll link it. But I was gonna say, my first reaction was about the miners and and you mentioned this, But the first person I saw talk about it was Joe Sheehan on Blue Sky.
Speaker 3: But like.
Speaker 1: He he pointed out, he said, many of the greatest players ever were good Major leaguers at nineteen to twenty one. This draft proposal would make it impossible for a player to be basically impossible for a player to debut before he's twenty two. I think it would also wreck free agency because almost no player would get there before age twenty eight, which is which is what you said, John, They're trying to right, well, yeah, and this is like this is an upfront cost cutting, but I do think the real savings are that back end.
Speaker 3: Yeah, right. No.
Speaker 1: Joe recently wrote and it was not related to this, but it was it was a couple newsletters ago, but he wrote, basically the fall off on players, look at manny a chop this year. Look like you you're not getting a big contract for anything past your your age thirty one.
Speaker 2: I mean sort of like having an Aaron Judge level platform.
Speaker 1: Yere right right, he like he is an absolute free.
Speaker 2: Yeah, like you will writet one but like for the most in most cases, right like.
Speaker 1: But even then, and look I said this at the time, like I wasn't short because because he was in that age bracket, right, you do start to wonder, and you know, I go back to this this this quote from Ross Atkins from twenty eighteen lives in my head. I swear I I link it a lot more than it probably deserves. We linked and stuff because it really just he said in twenty eighteen, when you're talking about free agency, you're talking about aging players, and the trend of overplaying overpaying a player's aging curves has come to an end across baseball. Now he was wrong, but he will be right if this is the way things are going, right, This isn't never wrong, just early for Ross Atkins. Yeah, but they're trying to effectuate it, right, Like that is where this is going, and that is where the squeeze comes in.
Speaker 2: I mean, the funny thing of this if if you did this in concert with the cap floor, some team would have to pay the thirty year old too much money just to get to the floor. Well yeah, but again that's all part of the Like, Look, this is a this is a macro economic game for them, right. This is we're taking the biggest breadsheet here possible and just trying to shave it here and there and over the years. And while other stuff is going up for us, it's going up at a slightly slower rate for the players. That's all this is, and just trying to like whitdle that little gap you know where that line and this line meet, right, and you know, under the guys of making the sport more competitive or whatever. But that's not the point here.
Speaker 3: The quality of the game always gets sacrifised.
Speaker 1: Yeah, well that and that's part of what I mean when I say, like they don't. They just don't like the sport like they just and and maybe like in theory they like it.
Speaker 2: They like the money that it brings in for them.
Speaker 1: Well, they certainly like that. But I would say, like if you if you ask them and how to like truth serum, they might be like, well, you know, like, yeah, I like it, but they don't like it enough to stop destroying.
Speaker 2: I don't think David Rubinstein purchased the Orioles primarily because he likes baseball.
Speaker 1: Mm hmmm, I don't. Yeah, I don't know. I mean specific you know, specific guys may or may not, right, but again not none. Basically, none of them like it enough to stop yeah sucking, it's life blood out right. They might like it, but only to a certain to a certain point, Patrick, anything else you want to touch on here, All right, let's take a break and we'll be back with the rest of the show and some more depressing conversation. Welcome back to episode five hundred and fifty five of five and Dive. It's a lot of fives. We're on our third segment, Pride Goeth before a Fall, and we're going to return to San Francisco. I will note, first of all, we had an email come into the show at our last discussion of this noting that it wasn't just guys writing messages on on their hats, on the hats with the rainbow logo. That and I think you might have mentioned, but like Sam Hankas just wore a regular hat, yeah, which I suppose is an option. Yeah, it is an option. I don't feel differently about Sam Hankas's choice than I do about the guys who wrote a you know, wrote a Bible verse on their hat. I don't think. And frankly, he had the most to Patrick's point, at least it was upfront, but he had kind of the most aggressive things to say in regards to this. I so I do want to make clear that if we didn't say that that was an option given and taken, it doesn't change I view it all of a piece. Right, So, after these three Giants. This does not apply to Sam Hankas I guess, but the league warned the Giants players who wrote on their hats.
Speaker 3: Uh.
Speaker 1: This is for the league a standard warning. They are not fined, they are not punished. It is a warning that you're not allowed to essentially deface the hat, and that they include in the warning comments like we have written. We have sent this to people who have written like thank you mom or dad.
Speaker 2: This is not taking an actual stand on anything, right.
Speaker 1: They want to make very clear that this is not.
Speaker 2: This is a this is a uniform code subjective.
Speaker 1: It is just about uniform violations. And I gotta tell you, like, it was clarifying to me that they were, like, yes, someone saying like I love you mom on their hat? Is is equal? Is equal? In this situation. It is clarifying, perhaps not how they wanted, but it was.
Speaker 3: And also, you know, the fact is that you know Clinton kersha right, did this was it last year, the year before?
Speaker 1: It was I think two years ago. I don't think he was the first one.
Speaker 3: No, but it was it was something that happened recently.
Speaker 1: I'm sure that somebody on the podcast and he absolutely did.
Speaker 3: Issued the same warning to him. Now. Unfortunately, they didn't issue that warning very loudly or publicly, and so it makes me wonder, does everyone just gets one free shot at this? Huh? Because you've given like it if the first warning is a warning, it feels like once you have said it out loud to the internet, to the world, that's the warning for everyone. Like, I don't think that next year a different team she get to have three players do this and for the lead to go two days later. Oh, no, you know, we have a warning.
Speaker 1: We have to give you this warning first. That's the rules. I would everyone's been warned. I would suspect Patrick that it is not a one free shot deal and that if this, if one of these guys did it again next year, they would get the same this. Yeah, yeah, I don't know that. Yeah, I suspect that this is not something. Look, MLB and I suspect its lawyers want to get nowhere near a conversation about religious passages referenced on a hat, right. I suspect they don't want to get anywhere near that stuff.
Speaker 3: It's a shame that they're doing very little to steer themselves away from that pretty inevitable outcome.
Speaker 1: Oh, sure. I mean, look this very oh MLB and the people that running be it shortsighted.
Speaker 2: This very like milk toast warning to the players has already gotten them this exact same response they would have that they told them not to do it for specific like pride reasons. Basically, there's been no difference in the response from like Josh Holly and can have it right, Like they're gonna do the same political grand standing. Yeah, you can't like you. There's there's no level of like wishy washiness that will protect you here, so you might as well just come out. But the other thing is, I don't think only really cares.
Speaker 3: But the thing is that wishy washing this is easy and fun.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and like this is you know, there's there's a lot of you said about rainbow capitalism, and I'm none of us are really the people to say it per se. But there is this idea that I've seen in LGBT community that like the fact that corporations feel they have to do this is a good thing writ large. Yes, yeah, like it's pressure, right, but it will be worse for them not to do.
Speaker 3: It, right, Is it worse for them to do it in this way where it's just shown as a.
Speaker 2: Right so that the party like they should be saying, like just wear the hats for one day, right, like this is part of your.
Speaker 1: Well, this is this is what we talked about last spot. And I do I do want to be it's it's the slightest bit complicated to me because I I do generally think people should be able to opt out of like forced sponsorship of whatever. But I also in general air on the side of it is one night, and like too, and again I mentioned this, whether it's you know, one of the military uniforms or whatever, like or those hats, I can have a lot of problems with that. I also don't I'm not trying to impugne necessarily people in the military, like specific people, and those are the people I might offend, right, And so like for one one it's one night. It's it's one thing, and you can just like understand that both there are objections and that those objections are not worth it hurting people. And like we've seen, is it is it?
Speaker 3: Uh?
Speaker 1: I apologize? Is it Kuiper or or Cruco who came out for the giants? Who Cruco who came out and and spoke about this which isn't great for the Giant. I mean it's good for for him, you know, but yeah, I I this this kind of feeble.
Speaker 2: Like the other thing is this this isn't point out by people in the San Francisco media and Somesco Giant fans like I have grave misgivings about Gave Kapler as a baseball figure, but like this ship never would have happened under him. It didn't happen under Bob Melviny like something in like Bettello came out and gave like the most like well, I hope they don't get distracted by the response kind of quote and just like just not meeting the moment at all. I guess he said something has not met a moment from the Giants or to comment on this, and this is just like this is like wait, I don't know how to tell you need to care about other people have to.
Speaker 3: Pay, Like I don't at least pretend.
Speaker 2: You should care like these these players, for the most part, like have never like I understand getting when you do this the whole thing with the oil like at getting the major league cards. These guys have like been even if you're not a particularly good Major League baseball player, which you know some of these players in question are you have been the best baseball player on the field like most of if not your entire life, And that carries with a certain amount of above it all mess that you can just get. You can your viewpoints in your you know, whatever you think should be prioritized because you're good at baseball, right, like that's always. It carries with a certain amount of like social and cultural cachet like just wear the hats man.
Speaker 3: Well, yeah it Honestly, the response has almost been worse to me because, like as a baseball team, when you sell a car, you sell a car to somebody and they give you money and you don't answer their calls. Afterwards, you'll be like, well, I gave you the car, and you gave me the money, and therefore the transaction is completed. Now that's not how it works, because people will find somebody else who actually will care enough to like maybe help fix the car afterwards or something. But you can, at least on that ground say, look, we conducted a transaction. When you were a baseball team and someone gives you money to watch this baseball, the caring is part of what they are paying for you have to pretend to want to put a product on there, and that you want the people who are in the stands to be part of the product. It is not something that is completely separate from the purchaser. And you can't just ignore, you can't just send no comment like it's just not something you're allowed to do.
Speaker 1: Well, So here's here's the thing. And I think I think I would guess our audience generally agrees with us, So that's that's fine. But I think someone could listen to this stuff and say, like, you're coming close to shut up and dribble, right, not you specifically, Patrick, but the conversation, I mean.
Speaker 2: They are, they are. It is absolutely a fair game for them to say whatever they want about right.
Speaker 1: No, Well, so that's that's kind of my point is. But I also think, like I'm not saying shut up and dribble, I'm saying, like if if, and I'm going to quote GT. Brew Baker and Ryan Walker, who have quote unquote broken their silence after their Pride Night hat protests, if what you want to do is just play ball? Yeah, that's the quote from from from the NBC Giants, like the NBC Sports Giants account just play ball. That's all I want to do. That option was available to you wear the hat. Yeah, that that was completely and totally available to you, and you chose, and you chose not to do it. And and again, like, I think this applies equally to Alex Call and Blake Trinan who Dodgers who opted not to wear the Pride hats. I think that's just as much a commentary as writing something on the hat. The league doesn't seem to mind it, but I think it's the same thing. If if there's any blowback at all, it could have been easily avoided and and putting on a rainbow hat. And again, if you if you think, if your association with rainbow is that it's a representative of the covenant between God and man based on that Bible verse, then wear the hat, wear the hat with pride. Who cares? It's not a problem then, But it's like, yeah, lots lots of people, lots of people disagree with the way a huge segment of the population and the government uh characterize what the flag means at this moment, and many of those people care deeply about our American flag right the stars and stripes, and will wrap themselves in it because it still means something to them. It is representative of something to them individually, and they don't mind holding that truth to themselves and feel and making that feeling known between themselves and the flag and anyone who wants to listen to how they feel about it. If you feel about the rainbow flag, how you claim to feel, then you don't need to augment it and you.
Speaker 2: Don't need wear No, we need to make it clear that it's only about this and not about that.
Speaker 1: But you can do that on your own, right, but that But you're right, and my point being is it is clearly not about that, is it? It is about a rebuke. It is about that that other people feel differently is incorrect? Right that it is, and it's not acceptable, right it is. It's not just I have my own connection. If you have your own connection, you you can wear a flag and I can. I can wear you know, a rainbow, and I can wear a rainbow and it can mean different things to each of us. But that's not what's going on here, and that's what's obnoxious. Yeah, And the next level of obnoxiousness and feebleness, and as Jeff said, fecklessness is I just want to play ball.
Speaker 3: You do.
Speaker 1: That opportun was available to you the entire time. That's that's the nonsense. I don't know if we want to go deeper on Tony Vittello's.
Speaker 2: I mean, it's just.
Speaker 3: The giants.
Speaker 1: This guy lasting the year. Yes he's making it's.
Speaker 2: Like he's still here.
Speaker 3: But like you can't if like we are still at a point where like Buster Posey has to decide, like how much he is being actively damaged by Joe if Fottella's employment every day.
Speaker 2: Sure, I mean he's also trying to trade the three contracts he just signed, which is not helping either.
Speaker 3: But every day that, every day that Battello keeps his job, it looks a little less worse that he's going to fire him with so much money left on his contract, And every day that he keeps him employed, the team gets a little worse in every way. And it's just like the world's most depressing calculus, right, I yea. The problem the prompt posy is that like there is no way out, Like if Fotilla gets fired now, it makes him look bad. If Vittello doesn't get fired, it makes him look bad. The only thing that he can hope for is some massive, random twenty game win streak to bail him out. And I guess that's just what he's buying time for, because it's not really any other outcome.
Speaker 1: Tony Botello compared the backlash to these hats and sartorial choices. I don't know. I don't want to say comments because well there were comments, but whatever. Uh two sec baseball fans who heckled players.
Speaker 2: That's all he knows. He doesn't know.
Speaker 1: This is like, let's just I mean, just not not to be fair enough, not not to be the most annoying person on the internet. But like let that sink it. Yeah, talk about not fucking getting it right.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 2: The other thing is like you manage in San Francisco, right, Like that's.
Speaker 1: I mean, layer that on top of you. I don't care if he's in fucking Tuscaloosa, No, I know, but like that this is so pigheaded it is. But also I'm just anywhere, you know, But like I don't care.
Speaker 2: Right now and you shouldn't. But like, I don't know, man, It's.
Speaker 3: It's bleak.
Speaker 2: It is real bleak. It's like the.
Speaker 1: I do think, I do think it goes back to what you said that You've said a lot of accurate things in this Jeff, but like I don't know how to get how to tell you to care about it.
Speaker 2: Right, and that that honestly and like the best you've been able to hope forward. Basically baseball for the last decade or so is that they that they make the cost benefit analysis it says it's better to I mean the Rangers don't, but every other team has made the cost benefit analysis that it's better to have Pride Night than not. And I think I keep thinking back to, like, you know, what is an actually acceptable protest for this kind of stuff? And there was a there's an Irish player a few years ago in the Premier League who refused to wear the poppy. Every soccer team wears the red poppy for Rememberance Day, the closest game does it.
Speaker 1: But he we're all wearing the poppy now, Yeah, MLB players wear the I know no. I liked it up because I was like, when did this happen? And I think like twenty twenty two.
Speaker 2: Right, It was like I can't, like, I can't wear it because of the like I can't like I don't feel comfortable with Basically supporting the English military right, And we talked about this in the last episode with Carlos Stilgado and Vehicus, right, like when he was refusing, I don't even think he was shooting the stand. He was shooting to come out for the anthem.
Speaker 1: And then all the like the Canadian players not wear the fourth of July hat that says USA two fifty on it, Like how does that work? Can the Dominican players not wear it? But again like Peo, like, how's it work?
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's yeah. I don't like this is it's bleak that there's no other ware, and like no one is rising to meet the moment here, right, like no one?
Speaker 1: I mean maybe Kruko Yeah, And I look, I'm not going to say I endorse everything he said, but he said some good things in the continuance of not necessarily meeting the moment. We have the independent York Revolution. Yea, they had a Pride night and they didn't have a baseball game.
Speaker 2: Players players refused to wear it, so they came forth.
Speaker 1: Right, So I do well, First of all, I would say the York Revolution organization seems to be in a decent spot here. But before we actually I know, I moved this on to that.
Speaker 3: Uh.
Speaker 1: It came out in some of this reporting and more conversation about this, that the giants had been talking about this for weeks. Had you seen No?
Speaker 2: I didn't see that.
Speaker 3: Now, I mean it was on the calendar, I'm sure no, but like the players had been discussing kind.
Speaker 1: Of how do what to do?
Speaker 2: I did? I think I actually did see some of that in the first.
Speaker 1: A one night yeah hat and like Pride Night event at the stadium, distract you for weeks, Tony Vottello, get your house in order, and and all of these guys. I mean that is pathetic. You're out here losing baseball games and you're spending your time on how how you need to handle whether to wear a hat or not, and fucking pathetic. I'm sorry. I just I had back to York the players. Enough players, I guess refused to participate in wearing the hat, and the organization said, then we're just not having a game. The organization still held an event for the for you know, for the night. Uh, they are donating additional money, uh, to the causes that the night was going to to support. It does from what I've seen, seem like they are upset about this, but decided the best thing they could do, rather than have the players go out ye not in support, was say we stand the like they They basically said, we want to be clear how these players feel, how these players feel are is not in accordance with how we feel. That's that's the reporting I've seen. I don't know if you.
Speaker 2: Other other stuff, it's probably don't even have to do that. They just had to say wear the hats like this is not just wear the hats for one night. Go try to win a baseball game.
Speaker 1: Patrick anything, No, No, I'm tired.
Speaker 3: This is sad.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it is. I mean that is that is sad. To take the Pride game. I mean, I understand where the team is coming from. They were not They're in a tough position seemingly, but to take the game away is like the you know, I don't know they they The club wrote, we feel that this is the best way to stay consistent with our long standing partnerships with the Rainbow Rose Center, JLS Automation, and a long list of allies that have always been key partners of the York Revolution's success in York Pennsylvania. Uh they are. They announced they will be making a ten thousand dollars donation to the Rainbow rowse Center to further their work on inclusivity, and that it was disappointed. The Rainbow Row Center said it was disappointed that circumstances led to this outcome, but express gratitude to the revolution. So it does seem like they are on the same page with the organizations they we're trying to support with this. Yeah, I don't know, it is bleak. Yeah, I don't know what else to say other than I hope, I hope this trajectory changes, yea as soon as possible. On that note, let's go to our next segment around the Horn. The Phillies optioned Andrew Painter. He didn't get out of the second inning, I think in his most recent start. I you know, obviously not what they want to do.
Speaker 3: No, given that they don't have I.
Speaker 2: Mean, Dave duns he does love trading for a poor starter, which you will now have to do.
Speaker 1: But yeah, but I think this makes sense.
Speaker 2: It was not working, not working. They're in a playoff race, like, yeah, you can't. They're already rolling Aaron Nola out there once that every five days, and it's not going great. And you do that with two fifths of your rotation.
Speaker 1: You Yeah, well, and Nola at least even when it's not going great, he can usually you're not burning your bullpen.
Speaker 3: Yeah, out of it.
Speaker 1: Bryce Wilson is, Yes, roster.
Speaker 2: Seth Johnson and Bryce Wilson. I assume pitching out of the pen. I guess anything gonna start pricing.
Speaker 1: They're both listed in, but presumably could take a spot start, Yeah, something like that. Uh, they'd obviously already moved on from Taiwan Walker. Yeah, yeah, you know, I don't know.
Speaker 3: There's Lucas how Is. I don't know.
Speaker 1: I mean, Eric Flower has been not bad for the Dodgers. You could probably pry him away given that they have River Ryan.
Speaker 2: I mean, they'll be able to if they want to make a move for a you know, a fourth fish starter in the next week or two. A couple of times too that they'd probably be able to do it.
Speaker 3: Uh.
Speaker 1: Lucas Giolito has walked more very mediocre Patrick. He's walked twenty one in twenty five and two thirds and struck out sixteen. That is very I understanding as a four or five e R, which is like below.
Speaker 2: One of the teams. They're directly competing with but.
Speaker 1: He's been actively pretty bad. Yeah, despite I mean four or five Era is like drastically overstating what he's done. Uh, Milwaukee will be without the surface the services. Excuse me of when Priester he will have surgery for thoracic outlet syndrome. That's obviously just a huge bummer. He had a really nice step forward last year, was a key piece for them, and frankly, not that they're struggling, but they could use him in this rotation. It is really at this point Kyle Harrison and or really let's start with Jacob Mezarawski. I apologize Kyle Harrison and then a little bit more of a mixed.
Speaker 2: Bag the l lead leaguer league leader and wins.
Speaker 1: Aaron ash is not part of the rotation. Uh no, they're I mean, look, they're obviously doing fine.
Speaker 3: I'm not trying to impugne.
Speaker 2: I mean, I'm sure they would rather have him in the rotation right now than Brandon sprote.
Speaker 1: Right, it's gas are sprout and Drohan watched Drohan. I'm like, there's something interesting here, but.
Speaker 2: It's Henderson just can't stay healthy. Basically they have options, but yeah.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I mean they have a lot of Henderson is hurt. Colman Crow, who they had called out, is hurt. Brandon Woodruff is hurt.
Speaker 2: I mean they also tend to target pictures. They get hurt a lot.
Speaker 1: Sure, sure, but that is a bummer.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Uh, Chase the latter is hurt. He fractured a rib. This was I saw a MLB trade rumors. This was all in one game. They lost Jose Ramirez to a fractured haymate. As we discussed, Chase the latter finally diagnosed I think hurt in the same game, but diagnosed finally with a rib fracture. And they also lost on how Martinez to a fractured foot. Surprisingly, it wasn't the lotter with the fractured foot was that is. Look, we've talked about them, Patrick wrote about them h and their offense recently. That's a lot to lose for this sea. We like, we can talk about Jose Ramirez not being at his normal pace. He was also leading the team in ops. Chase the latter was second. Now not by leaps and bounds. This is a much more balanced offense than normal. But also Gabriel aria Aris excuse me, is backfilling at third base right now, I'm a little yet, but they might they have an option there, but right now it's Arius who has had a mid seventies oh ps plus for the last three seasons. We'll see they played David Frye in the corner outfield.
Speaker 2: Khalil Watson also in the corner outfield today.
Speaker 1: Yeah, then they have Stuart Fairchild, they've played in centerfield. This is the This is a few massive blows. Yes, despite not being world beaters on offense thus far themselves, in terms of Ramirez and the laughter especially, this lineup was succeeding basically on having a bunch of average plus bats and they just lost three of them.
Speaker 2: Mm hmm.
Speaker 1: That's that's gonna be a real problem. And they're they're tied, or when I wrote this heading into today, they were tied. I wrote the ta for this. They're tied with the White Sox for the division. Like, are the White Socks gonna win this division?
Speaker 3: Let's see, what are the what are the odds? I'm sure they, I'm sure are We're still favoring Cleveland. But let's see, we're favoring Cleveland. We give Cleveland a two and three chance of winning the division. I'm sure that's some of that's Pakoda residual for the White Sox being you know started.
Speaker 1: It also depends. I mean, like we still have the Ameris getting sixty five percent of the remaining plate appearances. That could drop depending on his recovery from Yeah it is. Uh, I don't know. I think this could be a real, real blow.
Speaker 3: Yeah. But that said, like it's it's projecting to win eighty four games and win the division.
Speaker 1: That projection is more about not believing in the White and I don't know that I agree with. I don't know that I believe in the White Sox, but I might believe in them more than Pacoda does.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, I think I think the fact I think.
Speaker 1: I do believe in them more than does Whether that's enough to win the division, I don't know. Man. Uh.
Speaker 3: More fun news, more fun news.
Speaker 1: Max Scherzer was scratched from his last start with back spasms.
Speaker 2: He's on the I l Yeah.
Speaker 1: Now he still thinks he can.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I'm sure he does.
Speaker 1: And maybe he can for a few starts.
Speaker 3: You know.
Speaker 1: Again, he did it last year. He missed a ton of time and then came back and look they he pitched, pached. He did help the team elsewhere in the AL Central, But I don't think the Blue Jays picked up Simon Woods Richardson, who backfilled in a bulk roll last time last game in place of Labor Torres back on the I l helped the Tigers win some games against the Rays and hurt again. I don't what is Is it the same injury we reaggravate.
Speaker 2: I just actually, I mean it's it's just a lost season for the Tigers at this point.
Speaker 1: Which is wild because again, the winner of this division is going to be around. Yeah do you think, uh didn't someone that one of their outfielders just got hurt again, right or once went sil Paris got got injured by a snapped.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, like a resistance band.
Speaker 1: Resistance band? Yeah, does that Clark? I mean again, Torres is dealing with a left oblique string, which is the same injury. And lastly, we had a fascinating call up. Jared wrote about this for us this week in his column and he did a TA but Patrick, it's a Mariner's call up. Why don't you walk us through it?
Speaker 2: So?
Speaker 3: Yeah, the Mariners called up Curtis Washington Junior, a twenty how old, say, twenty twenty six, twenty six year old outfielder in hi A. And it's just basically before the game on I think earlier in the day. That day, they discovered that Randy orrouss Arena had to go on the il the Rainiers were out of town despite being thirty miles away, so they went thirty miles in the other direction and went to hi A Everett. The problem is that in Everett they have basically two actual prospects, and calling them up would have forced them to add them to the forty, which means they would ad to take them off the forty, which means they would have exposed them to waivers. So they couldn't do that. So they had to basically pick up a guy who was hitting one ninety.
Speaker 1: In ninety four yea in Hia as a twenty six year old.
Speaker 3: Tragically, both games that he was around for they were close games, and so he was unable to get into the game, and so he will be a phantom player probably for the rest of us of his life.
Speaker 1: And then almost certainly, almost certainly it was such a bummer. Yeah, I mean, look, he's a major leaguer and that part is cool.
Speaker 3: Yep, he's gonna have to add an extra Yeah, it.
Speaker 1: Is a bummer that he did not get in as like a pinch runner.
Speaker 3: When he explains it to people later, he'll have to add a couple more sentences to the end of the story that will make the story a little less cool. It would have been it would have been nice. It is an offensive replacement. You could just be like, yeah, I've played in the majors. That's right, you can't played in the majors. Yeah, he didn't play, but yeah, yeah, Yeah. The thing is that, like this is the closest baseball gets to the emergency catcher or the emergency goalie goalie in hockey, and that is the greatest thing in sports. Yeah, and it's a shame that we can't have more and we can't have this happen. Oh well, and meanwhile, Julia already Gez left the game in the middle of the game. In the following game, and now the Mariners off offield. After that point, their outfield was Connor Joen left, Victor Roblaze and center and Rob reths Snyder and right.
Speaker 1: So after Laze get ready to run. Yeah, it's gonna be but any replacement at this point will come from Triple A. I mean, look, he is still on the forty man. Yep, they haven't Washington. I assume as soon as they need a spot, he will be gone. Yeah, it's a cool story. It was almost a cool It could have been a cooler story. It would have been fun if it was a cooler story. But it's still I know he gets what two game checks, I guess something, and that takes us to our game.
Speaker 3: Okay, all right, you're gonna play confidence intervals for once. I get to host this one because I bother him make it ahead of time. And what we're gonna do is just a reminder to the fans out there. I'm going to give Craig and Jeff a list of nine names for a given category. They have to avoid picking the one that did not qualify for that category. All right, I'm gonna add it to the chat and then read it out to the listeners. The first one we're gonna I decided to change things up a little this time. It's not like we usually do this over a statistical threshold. I decided to get a little more creative about it, so apologize. So for the first list, here are nine players, Eight of them played for the twenty twenty five Atlanta Braves. Players aren't Eddie Rosario, Jake Frayley, Luke Williams, Zach Pop, Hector Nears, Alexis Diaz, cal Quantrill, Dane Dunning, Sandy Leone. Okay, you may go first.
Speaker 1: Are you pasting it into the chat?
Speaker 3: I pasted it into your.
Speaker 1: Do it in the all right?
Speaker 3: Fine, I don't think. I don't think can the can the can our chat do images? I don't think it can.
Speaker 1: All right, here we go, all right, So Greg, can I can I ask you did in a situation like this and you're probably just not gonna answer, And that's fine. Like I remember many of these guys latching on to the Atlanta organization, is it at least when they were with Atlanta but didn't. But my point is like, are you just deceiving me in that? Like someone here signed with Atlanta but never showed up in a game.
Speaker 3: No, that seems no.
Speaker 1: No, Okay, that's fine, Okay.
Speaker 3: Everybody here got at least one better faced the guy the guy was never got signed.
Speaker 1: By Okay, Okay, I'm gonna say, Zach Pop.
Speaker 3: Wow, oh I was I completely that's who I thought, didn't I thought mine, Craig.
Speaker 1: I forgot how this game worked.
Speaker 3: Yeah, right, sorry, I don't know.
Speaker 1: That's my fault. I have to eat it. That's my fault. Well, good job, it was basically what I did. Yeah that I was trying to pick the guy like a more Yeah, all right, good job by me, all right, good job by you. Okay, all right, I enjoy your win, Jeffrey.
Speaker 2: I was fine. I was I was ready.
Speaker 1: I get a lot of people, did get a lot of a lot of sleep, and I was in trouble, in trouble. I've been in trouble this time.
Speaker 3: Next category, jeff you go first. These are players who got at least one vote for American League MVP in twenty twenty. The names are Eddie Razarium, David Fletcher, Lewis, Anthony ren Doone, Liam Hendricks, Tim Anderson, jaymer Candelario Young, Jen Rue, and Dallas Kikeel.
Speaker 2: I'm going right to Kyle Lewis.
Speaker 3: Kyle Lewis did get an MVP vote in twenty twenty, Greg.
Speaker 1: I, Tim Anderson, Tim Anderson did.
Speaker 3: Yes.
Speaker 2: Uh, I am going to say.
Speaker 1: Now it gets yeah, I remembered this is like this or twenty twenty one was Tim Anderson's last good season, and I was like, yeah, gonna sayn Jan.
Speaker 3: Rio, Yes he got four points.
Speaker 1: Jean Mark Candelario, jaymer Candelario was the whammy.
Speaker 2: I thought he was. That's why I wanted to stay because his good year was following.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah he did, he did. He didn't have a good year that year, but it was not.
Speaker 1: David Fletcher.
Speaker 3: David Fletcher vote he hit three nineteen three seventy six fo okay for two reference. Okay, all right, yeah, okay, once again.
Speaker 1: Enjoy your win, Jack.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I did say.
Speaker 2: The only way it wrong, Craig, So I am going to enjoy all of them.
Speaker 1: Yeah, No, I meant the win of the entire I was the entire set.
Speaker 3: Some of these will be a little easier, though. There's third one. These are each players that played This one didn't format correctly, but whatever.
Speaker 2: Yeah suh.
Speaker 3: These are all players who have played at least one inning of center field this season. Your your players are Tyler Freeman, Josh Lowe, Victor Mason Jr. Matt Shaw, Brandon Nemo, Willie Castro, Luke Rainley, Jake Frayley, and Joe Adell there's like two Rockies, two Rockies.
Speaker 1: And two Angels. What are you? What are you doing? What's your what's your game? I'm gonna say Matt Shaw.
Speaker 3: Matt Shaw did play centerfield.
Speaker 2: Yes, very weird choice to go to first, but sure no I knew he did. Okay, fair enough.
Speaker 1: Victor Mason, the utility guy.
Speaker 3: Victor Mason Jr. Did play centerfield. Victor Mason played this year, which is weird, all right, Craig.
Speaker 1: To be honest, I don't. I don't fully know anymore. I don't feel confident in any of the rest of these. I'm gonna say. I'm gonna say Brandon Nemo has.
Speaker 3: Played one inning at center.
Speaker 2: We will take it like I feel like Tyler Freeman could be a trap.
Speaker 1: Many of these feel like.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I'm gonna say josh Lo like he is a center fielder.
Speaker 1: So Josh Low did play summerfield. Yeah, not much, but he asked Craig, I am gonna say Tyler Freeman.
Speaker 3: Tyler Freeman is correct. He played center field, probably better than they played, right, just guessing it.
Speaker 2: I don't love the rest of these. I don't.
Speaker 1: It's like the odds are both in his favor and also not.
Speaker 2: All right, I will I will do it.
Speaker 3: So the.
Speaker 2: Rockies have too many center fielders, so Playaba Castro there like they just do. I don't like any of these, I will say. Jake Frayley, I didn't get about any of them.
Speaker 3: That's fair. Didn't Joe Adelle play center when he got the didn't.
Speaker 1: Thought was playing?
Speaker 2: I thought he did. But I also felt like I couldn't well enough enough in it that Patrick wouldn't make it the trap.
Speaker 1: So right, So there's that, there's that. Josh Lowe was already an answer. And you know that they're playing Mike Trout there.
Speaker 3: But they're not playing there every day.
Speaker 1: It's yeah, well but I'm just saying, but then Josh Lowe was playing there.
Speaker 3: Up all right? Next one, Okay, the spacing return back to normal. Jeff's up two to one. These are eight plus pitching wins in twenty twenty five. Your players are Jacob Mizrawski.
Speaker 2: No oh wins like wins picture Yeah, okay, they won just regular old wins.
Speaker 3: J regular wins. Jacob Ezrawski, Christopher Sanchez, Gavin Williams, Josey Soriano, Chris Sale, Kyle Harrison, Chase Burns, Michael Soroka, Bryce.
Speaker 2: Elder, we go to Gavin Williams.
Speaker 3: All right, gam Williams is correct.
Speaker 1: This feels like it has it has to be a trap. But he had to have Christopher Sanchez had.
Speaker 3: Sanchez has won eight games too. Yeah, h.
Speaker 2: I think Chase I didn't put I think there. I think Chase Burns just won his eighth against the Mets.
Speaker 1: He did, Yeah, this is twenty twenty five.
Speaker 3: Oh sorry, SoC twenty one sex. I apologize, I put the wrong number.
Speaker 6: Okay, well I was going sorry, okay, all right, uh I guess in that case, I'm gonna go with Bryce Elder.
Speaker 3: Bryce Elder is the whammy.
Speaker 2: Gets the correct.
Speaker 3: Well, he was good, Honestly, he's been pretty good in the Braves have won a lot of games. I know, I know strategy. Yeah, Bryce Elder is I think five and four despite this? All right, all right, so.
Speaker 1: Craig's on the ropes number five, buddies are I've been on the rope since the first words I spoke.
Speaker 3: This is gonna look weird on the dock, but it's very easily explained. Nine pictures. Eight of them have an above average strikeout, right, Okay, Dustin May Michael King, Sean Newcombe, Rookie Sasaki, Freddy Alta, Public, Chandler, Aaron Nola, Caval, Emerson Hancock.
Speaker 1: Boy, this is a set of names, so I'm going first. Sean Newcomb correct, we've.
Speaker 2: Been my first guest. Emerson Hancock, correct, boy, Yeah boy. It's k percentage too. It's like Chandler.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, I'm gonna say. I'm gonna say Dustin May because he's been good lately.
Speaker 3: Dustin one four ya it.
Speaker 2: He doesn't walk. I know, he gives up a lot of hits in Harmon. He doesn't walk anyone. He still gets strikeouts.
Speaker 1: Say Aaron Nola, Aaron Nola.
Speaker 2: I think it's like a one oh two close enough, good enough.
Speaker 3: Well, it's enough, Craig, You're left over with King, Sasaki, Paralta, Chandler, and Kovali.
Speaker 1: Yeah yeah, which.
Speaker 3: Is how I pronounced Aaron Sibla's name for him on its.
Speaker 1: Uh oh man. I'm gonna go with Kate Kavali. You're correct, Yeah, he has a where is it?
Speaker 3: I'm missing it, but it's yeah, one eleven. He's been doing quite well.
Speaker 2: I'm gonna go with Rok.
Speaker 3: Roki is correct. Roki has a one of eight. Yeah, three players left it for Roki.
Speaker 1: It was the walks that were pushing me away, like an early season, but he has been Yeah, so okay, so I have Chandler King, Roky's walk maybe your rock rate is league average at this point at this point, Yeah, it was just the early early and like he really struggled to strike guys out early on. All right, uh, King, Peralta and Chandler, I'm going to go with Bubba Chandler.
Speaker 3: I hate that is correct. Bubba Chandler has like I think a one O three.
Speaker 2: I guess this is there is another way you should know. I should I've watched most of these Freddy Paralta starts, and he is still striking guys out and not working particularly deep into games. But like either of these are like a good whammy because they've both been like King's been pretty good. Yes, I will say Freddy.
Speaker 3: Peralta, congratulations, Jeff.
Speaker 1: Two King is I think I probably I might have said King honestly, but if.
Speaker 2: When he first came up, like I kind of want to avoid King here, I also wanted to avoid Peralta.
Speaker 1: They were the two I wanted to avoid.
Speaker 2: Chandler. Chandler the last three with old three for me, I didn't want to really. Yeah, yeah, all.
Speaker 3: Right, Jeff is one, but let's see if he wins untainted without Craig's mistake. We got two more to go next one. These are nine players, eight of whom own a World Series, right, Sandy Leon, Brad Miller, Corey Lee, Jeff Mathis, Sean Newcombe, Andrew Chaffin, Johnny Venters, Ian Kinsler, Nori Aoki.
Speaker 1: Wow.
Speaker 2: I feel most confident here that Sandy Leon was a backup catcher on one of those Red Sox winners.
Speaker 3: So all right, uh no, but no, I think.
Speaker 1: It's it's Atlanta.
Speaker 2: Is Atlanta?
Speaker 1: Yeah, he was on the twenty twenty one Atlanta team.
Speaker 3: No, I think he was on he was hold on, hold on, hold on which one was on? Oh yeah, I was twenty eighteen. Sorry, right, it was the Red Sox. It was the Red Sox, all right.
Speaker 2: Remember he had a home run at one of the games we went to during a safe sum so that it would have been around then.
Speaker 1: I have I have to tell you, like, I don't know, m I don't he was among the rest of these.
Speaker 3: He was also on the twenty twenty three Rangers.
Speaker 2: Oh, Okay, sure, there you go.
Speaker 1: Candie Leon.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Well I said I felt like he had multiple, but I didn't. I don't know if I would have gotten the right ones. Man. You know, Andrew Chafin has just pitched on a lot of teams mid season trades. I feel like he's got a chance to be up there. I'm gonna go with Andrew Chaffin's blended guessing.
Speaker 2: Yeah, not touching Andrew Chaffin for that reason.
Speaker 1: I mean, it's true.
Speaker 2: He never pitched for like it was.
Speaker 1: Yes, it was always the team.
Speaker 3: That's like eight, you know, like the eighty five win team.
Speaker 1: Yeah, all right, last one.
Speaker 3: We'll do the last category here. You know that Jeff's locked it up for good. Uh. There is a list of every single bobblehead that Kansas City Royals have ever supplied, ever given out. Eight of these players have been given bobbleheads in Kansas City Royals history. Uh. The players are Michael Massey, MJ. Melendez, Nicky Lopez, Patrick Mahomes, Danny Tartile, Jorgeselaire, Danny Duffy, Adelbert Mondesy, and Kendris Morales.
Speaker 2: God Craig, your first, crack.
Speaker 1: Yep, I get first crack wow. I'm gonna go with Patrick Mahomes.
Speaker 3: You would and you should. He's absolutely in there.
Speaker 2: See there's two like I'm I'm pulled in two directions here and it's very fun. They're like, I want to say either Danny Tartile or Michael Massey. I think too likely. Also I will say Danny Tartile, Dan Turtles the way, Okay, fair enough, Yeah, I'm next.
Speaker 3: Micky Lopez has been had multiple multiple bobbleheads.
Speaker 2: Just said, Michael Massey. That's a very royal thing to do.
Speaker 3: It is a very royal thing to do.
Speaker 2: Yeah, all right, royals bobblehead.
Speaker 3: Yep, you can go look it up. Such a costs go with your collection.
Speaker 2: I do everyone.
Speaker 1: I do want just on this up. Thank you for the game, and I'm sorry for ruining it. I do want to know Jeffrey your your IMDb game seems you're getting very positive reviews.
Speaker 2: I will probably whip up another one for our special guest host next week.
Speaker 3: I do.
Speaker 1: Even while we were recording the Jazz chiselm Singer is crazy but close enough.
Speaker 3: I'm gonna have to watch like twenty movies next week just to catch up to Jeff's references like, yeah.
Speaker 1: People are I think people like the idea. I liked the idea. I I will struggle every single time. And honestly, Patrick, you don't need to watch them because I will not watch them and I will not catch up to them. But people like that. Yeah, Jeff mentioned a guest host, I should note to people I will be out next week for both recordings. We will get a couple guest hosts in my chair, so it'll still be three people. You'll still get your games, you won't get me struggling, but you know, life will go on. Thank you to our listeners for joining us on another episode of five and Dive, brought to you by the Baseball Perpective podcast Network. You can get in touch with the show at five and Dive at Baseball perspectives dot com. We are wherever you get your podcasts. Search for Baseball Perspectives podcast Network and we'll be in that feed. If you like what we're doing here, please drop us a rating. You don't have to do a review, but please make it five stars. We really appreciate it. Thank you again for joining us, and if you've been waiting for the pod to be over, your time isn't.
Speaker 5: Bout facings. Mobe older, I came my mother. Still hold the fucking ba.
Speaker 1: I would can be answering the
Speaker 5: Girl