Speaker 1: You're listening to Why we do what we do? Welcome to Why we do what we do. I am your extinct scientist host Abraham.
Speaker 2: And I'm your looking for another career host Shane.
Speaker 1: We are a psychology podcast. We talk about the things that humans and non human animals do, and today we're going to be talking about some terrible things that might happen to destroy science and our country. And so this is about how to kill science.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, yeah, So I think that this is going to be an important message for anybody who is working in a science field, working in a stemmed field, anything like that that goes well, science isn't political. Science doesn't care about politics, Yes it does, and we're going to talk about that because I think as a scientist you would be irresponse to ignore politics because it does impact so much of what we do.
Speaker 1: Yeah, even if you believe science doesn't care about politics, the politics care about science and they're about the there are gonna be the ones about to pull the trigger, to swing the blade, to drop the trapdoor under the noose. Insert yes execution metaphor here, because that's where we're going. But if you're joining us for the first time, then welcome We hope you enjoy with you here in this discussion. We're not generally all doom and gloom. Generally, I think we're actually quite cheerful and fun. That's true, but we do have to face the realities of this world from time to time. If you are a returning person, then welcome back. I'm glad we didn't scare you away in the past. Maybe we will today. We're not trying to, but it could happen. Thank you for joining us either way, And if you'd like to support us, you can join us on Patreon, leave us a rating and a review, like subscribe, tell a friend, etc. I'll talk more about those at the end of this discussion. But this episode publishes in the middle of the year. We're now like, we're right in it. We're in the bell curve of the year, if you will.
Speaker 2: Uh huh.
Speaker 1: It is June tenth, so happy ballpoint pen Day.
Speaker 2: Ooh. It is also Herbs and Spices Day.
Speaker 1: Like Herbs and Spices. It is too National black Cow Day.
Speaker 2: Yes it is. It's also and this makes sense, it's National Iced Tea Day. It's real hot.
Speaker 1: Yeah, seriously, it is America the Beautiful Week. Moving on, MM hmm.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's a bedbug awareness week.
Speaker 1: I'm aware, all right. It is Meet a Mate Week. Cool.
Speaker 2: Oh, sure, go meet that mate, Meet a meat. It is National Automotive Service Professional Week, so happy Automotive Service Professional Week to my brother.
Speaker 1: Cool. National Body Piercing Week. Sweet.
Speaker 2: Okay, all right. It's National Frozen Yogurt Week.
Speaker 1: Sure, yeah, National Little League Baseball Week. That makes sense for the beginning of June. That.
Speaker 2: Yeah. It's Pet Appreciation Week. I appreciate my pets.
Speaker 1: Same, yeah, I do it all year. It is shampoo week. We did a mini maybe our first mini on shampoo or it was like in the first couple.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, I would say very early on. So I also do shampoo every week.
Speaker 1: Same, same, all right. But we are not here to just discuss holidays to just figure you know, you're here and you probably celebrate one of those holidays. That's not true, But in spirit of fun, we're just gonna list those things off so that you know, and you can wish somebody a happy National Black Cow Day on your way to work or something. Anyway. Yeah, we are talking about how to kill science. So let's jump in with our opening information that you need to have here. Which is that the Trump administration is proposing a massive, sweeping overhaul to the system for federal grants and research. The claim of the recently released four hundred and twelve page proposal, The claim that they're making is that these changes will cut down un waste, fraud, and abuse. However, the document actually spells out a plan for the government to have complete control over scientific research and findings.
Speaker 2: That should be concerning. Yeah, obviously, like if you've listened to the show, then you know that we have a particular bias against this particular administration. However, you don't have to take our word for it. We're going to tell you exactly what it says based on objective, Like we're going to have quotes, we're going to have direct points, we're going to have It's not going to be like we hate this administration. It's gonna be like, no, this is what this actual document says. As scientists, we always try to be charitable, we always try to approach this from this space, and we're going to read those key sections from the proposal and comment on them because I think it's important to know what but exactly they're saying in this document that is publicly available to read.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it is. Well, there's a link to this document in the notes, and there is also a way for the public to share their thoughts about this, and we're going to share ours, and I would encourage you listeners to share os as well. But first we need to get into a little background about what is all happening here, and that will, I think help set the context for why this matters and the significance of it. But is there anything that I'm missing that or you'd like to add before we jump into this discussion here.
Speaker 2: No, I don't think so. I think we got it.
Speaker 1: Okay. So the document in question we're describing here was published by the Office of Management and Budget or OMB, which is now as of twenty twenty five, headed by right wing Christian nationalist Russell Vatt, who was also the lead architect of the Heritage Foundation's Project twenty twenty five. You may have remember hearing about this during the election in twenty twenty four. This is a massive document that outlines the Conservative's plan to convert the United States into a dictatorship. And you think I'm being hyperbolic, and I am not. No, it essentially proposed that we make the Handmaid's Tail universe a real place and that that is here in the United States. Yeah, it is basically just that.
Speaker 2: Yeah. And many of the many of the policies that have been implemented since the administration has taken control have aligned with the overall outcomes of Project twenty twenty five. Yeah, it's all there in writing. It's plain sight, it's real bad.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's aggressively disquieting.
Speaker 2: Aggressively bad. Yeah. Yeah. So the Trump administration is a point in several politicians, corporate shills, TV personalities another aggressively underqualified lunatics to several key positions at the top of government agencies, including the National Institute of Health ANDIH, which oversees the distribution of funds for tens of thousands of research grants every year. And again, I know that that might sound aggressive, but doctor Oz is not qualified for the position he's in now. RFK is not qualified for the position that he's in now. Arguably Pambondi was not qualified. The people that are in his cabinet and in his administration are not qualified for the positions that they're in.
Speaker 1: Objectively, yeah, very much, objectively, like they don't have experience, they don't have education. They fired all of the people who are in charge of the vaccine panel and appointed conspiracy theorists and like YouTube personalities, people with little education, no degrees, no experience. They were just from the supplement industry who wanted to push an anti vaccine agenda. They've have gutted the CDC. People have otherwise resigned from their positions because of the pressure they were facing to do super illegal, unethical stuff. So those are the kinds of people who currently head a lot of those departments.
Speaker 2: Right.
Speaker 1: Historically, the United States has been one of the largest and most profound leaders in scientific research and discovery in the last In fact, the economic rise of the United States and it's a set to being one of the most powerful countries in the world, is entirely correlated with and a result of the fact that the government started pouring enormous amounts of money into scientific research and making a real commitment to science as a process.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you know, I just read this book Following to Earth, and it was about the space program, the moon landing programs and all that, and the polo programs, And one of the things that was a recurring theme was that during certain administrations, the funding kept getting cut, so they were having to figure out new ways to be able to achieve the research they were trying to do while funding was being cut for scientific aeronautical research. And wouldn't you know it that the administration that was doing all the cutting was a Republican conservative administration. And he makes that abundantly clear in that book while he's working on these programs. So importantly, politicians at the time also understood, and it's not the Space program, but kind of what we're at now. Politicians understood that the best people to facilitate the distribution of resources to scientific endeavors and to regulate the quality of those studies where people who are experts in the subject matter. That's a lot of where the kind of grant program started in these scientific programs began. What that means is experts in medicine reviewed research proposals for medicine medical research. People who are experts in law enforcement reviewed and supported research proposals around law enforcement. People who are experts in energy production review and support research and energy production. So people who are experts in psychology review and support proposals for psychological research, et cetera, et cetera et cetera. People who are in the field of the people who are reviewing, who are making decisions, who are issuing the grants, those types of things, like people who know the actual science and subject of what they're reviewing.
Speaker 1: Yeah, they are experienced, they are educated, They are often researchers themselves. They have been doing the work, so they understand the kinds of things that make the most sense and with things don't make sense, and how to support further advancement. And that has been, if not the reason science has been so successful in this country, and historically it is at least one of the most important reasons, right that this has worked. Because it's not just enough to pour a bunch of money into science, as we'll actually see in a second, it is that that science needs to be independently governed by the scientists.
Speaker 2: Right.
Speaker 1: They are the ones who monitor and track these because they know what they're doing. The other important thing about this, and the reason I just mentioned as being independent, is that these experts are not subject to or influenced by the government. Obviously, people have political leanings and whatnot, but the government can't just come in and tell these people what to do about grants and research and science and that sort of thing or else as a risk that the government could also control the narrative about what research has to say and say instead what the government wants it to say. And the importance of this really could not be overstated. Other countries have done this, they've taken control of the scientific narrative. You have such scientific strongholds as I ran Russia, Germany in the nineteen forties, and North Korea. I call those scientific strongholds facetiously because those are not scientific strongholds. These are places where they quashed, quelled, and destroyed people's research if it didn't align with the government's policies or their government's ideas about what they want the truth to be about things. And we've also seen what happens when authoritarian and communist governments try to control the narrative of scientific research. Chernobyl is one example. The government had a specific agenda. It didn't want to accept certain truths and realities about what was going on, and so instead of doing the right thing, they caused a giant meltdown that could play destroyed the landscape and killed tons of people. Yep, that's what happens when the government makes decisions about things that are science based instead of scientists. But scientific research becomes essentially nothing when you depend on politicians to try and be in control of these systems. It's untrustworthy, it's ignored by the rest of the world, and is a giant waste of time, effort, and money. Kind of like ads, Okay, we're back. We've been describing essentially the way to have science work and be effective and facilitate a country to be a flourishing nation.
Speaker 2: Yes, so at this point, you know, we've been kind of talking about, like, you know, the problem with government control over science, and we've seen those examples and really what it is yielded, which is not great results. The point is, the smart decision was and always has been to put experts in charge of helping to drive innovation forward in their respective fields. You need experts in the field to know the field well enough to make decisions and being scientifically literate about the field to be able to make decisions about where that research could or should or maybe would benefit from going. This has worked extremely well, probably better than they could have even predicted, because scientists know what they are doing and politicians are stupid at best at best to be charitable. Yeah, they're not smart people in terms of at least these respective fields, and like this expertise, that's not where they're experts. They're experts in policy and maybe backchannel deal baking, but certainly not the science part of it. So now, of course, conservative politicians set a whole new low when it comes to stupid, and Christian nationalism represents the kind of stupid that didn't seem possible for human beings. We digress again, so let's get back on track.
Speaker 1: Yeah, so the Trump administration had been appointing all of these shills and figureheads to these positions where they're going to do the government's bidding, but the courts were blocking their ability to curtail and control math the narrative of scientific research. And so this proposal we're discussing today, by the OMB, this was developed to rewrite government policy about funding scientific research. So for the next section of this discussion, a lot of what we're going to be doing is quoting news sources directly and the proposal itself directly, and commenting on what these people are saying about what is going on here. And this doesn't follow any particular order, it's just sort of highlights about what's in this. As we mentioned, it's four hundred and twelve pages, so it's quite long. We're not going to read the whole thing to you because that would turn this into a thirty hour podcast, but we will get into some of the key chunks that we need to discuss.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Absolutely, I mean, let's go and start with this first ballpoint, and I'm going to read this directly. So this is a direct quote. The Office of Management and Budget's omb proposed rule is in escalation of the administration's relentless attacks on independent science. This is a quote from Jewels Barbody Dashes of the Center for Science and Democracy at the Union of Concerned Scientists in a statement that they put out. And then it goes further. It says, quote it replaces scientific merit with a political loyalty test and could be used to silence research that is politically inconvenient for the administration. End quote. Now Barbodi a Daches actually warns that the proposal would quote give politically connected industries a functional veto over research that might reveal risks associated with products and practices. End quote. You know when I read that, and you kind of hear that, my first thought is, oh, like this is where data centers are going to be a real problem, because if they are creating a substantial amount of pollution in certain communities and they have to do water research about whether polluted water from data centers is creating diseases in these communities or something like that, like that research could be kiboshed. It could be immediately shut down because it doesn't benefit when data centers are making money for the government or something along those lines, so or for you know, people in those spaces. So like I could see that being an example of like, oh, there's a health risk going on, it doesn't benefit the government or the government's values per se, and we're gonna go ahead and we're not going to approve that research because it doesn't align with our goals.
Speaker 1: Yeah, And I'm realizing now that I've sort of jumped ahead a little bit by starting with the criticism here, let's actually describe fairly clearly what the proposal is as part of this. Yeah, So one of the features of the new proposal is that they want to end international research collaboration.
Speaker 2: Which is insane, Like that's insane. We are a.
Speaker 1: Global community at this point, Like, yes, we have individual countries, but everything that we do affects everybody else in the world, and vice versa. The things that they do affect us. There are not issues really that are so geographically bound that they don't apply to other places in the world. So international research collaboration is just a thing that you need to do or else what are you doing? So with the current rules, they want to essentially end that their sort of policy is domestic first, which who knows what that even means, right, Like basically you have to say just America thirty times in your proposal, and they for them to even consider it. They do say they'll consider in an international collaboration on a case by case basis, but it's really going to be does it support the agenda of the president and the current administration whether or not that that collaboration would be even considered. So they really want to stop that, which, by the way, like this is long standing scientific practice is to do international collaboration because that is the best way to move forward, is to get as many people involved as possible and sort of share knowledge.
Speaker 2: Right, Okay.
Speaker 1: Another thing that they want to cut here is scientists generally can use part of the funding that they get from grants to pay for a time conferences. So most scientists work at academic institutions, maybe not most, A lot of scientists who are doing research work at academic institutions where they apply for federal grants. There are also private companies who have scientists who also apply for and receive federal grants. There's like a lot of different ways that grants get distributed to various scientific entities. But the point is the conferences represent an opportunity for scientists to show up, present their work to each other and learn new things and continue to disseminate and advance the field. A lot of conference attendants is paid for by institutions from grant funding specifically, and that includes funding students to go to these conferences. Well, they would like to essentially cut completely any funding that could be used to go to spend on going to conferences. It would only be allowed if participation in the event was expressly approved by the funding agency and written into the grant, regardless of whether the conference was a noun after the point where they could have asked for that funding to go to that. So it does not consider anything like that Because when people write grants and the funds for grants, they have to set aside how those funds are going to be used, and things like continuing education and research are part of what they have to write. So they're basically saying you can't do that anymore.
Speaker 2: And then something that we don't spend enough time talking about is that conferences are one of the best ways to disseminate new research and information and like bite sized chunks. Yeah, and fast and fast. I mean you can get a lot you know. I know, you just got back from a conference. I go to conferences all the time. Yeah, and between the two of us, I'm sure we go to hundreds of conferences constantly. But when we think about that, like every one of the hours that you're there is an opportunity to learn some new science, right. And so so if I'm on a research grant, I'm going to go to a conference that is related to my research grant that is going to offer me different insights about the particular subject that I'm looking at or I'm interested in. And now you have basically cut off a space where information can low freely. That's essentially what this is saying is like, no, you can't go to that at least under this grant, so pay for it out of your own pocket, which is sometimes not affordable, and you can go you can go this conference. But they're basically saying, no, you can't go to those anymore.
Speaker 1: Yeah, conferences are extremely expensive to put on, extremely expensive, Like you would not even believe how expensive they are, and they do not tend to make a very significant profit from people attending those conferences, so they often charge hundreds of dollars sometimes for attendance from professionals. Now often students get an express discount, and like people who are maybe like sustained members, I don't know. There's like various ways to tier the membership system to try and facilitate people who have fewer resources available. But part of the reason that they can exist is because they kind of subsidize those lower tiers by charging higher prices to people who have grant funding that can help pay for those conferences. So all of that ensures that that dissemination can continue.
Speaker 2: Yeah, most definitely, they're trying to not just cut this.
Speaker 1: Off at the knees. They were trying to set it on fire and throw in the trash, like it would just does not exist any longer. This would greatly greatly affect professional conferences. And importantly, when these conferences happen, they usually set up in a city and they usually rent a conference or they like get conference space. They set up a hotel block, there's rental cars, there's flights the amount, and then thousands and thousands of people show up to this thing and they bring with them money, Like they go to this place and they buy dinner, they buy food, they go sight seeing, and they're paid for hotel rooms, they're paying taxes in this city. So cutting off a funding source for going to these not only hurts the conference, it also hurts the cities that would have held that conference and all the travel industry and tourism industry that would have supported the people who go to that conference as well.
Speaker 2: Exactly.
Speaker 1: So it is basically just taking the economy and shoving a knife in its gut and being like take that.
Speaker 2: Hah, yeah, it's absurd.
Speaker 1: And with that, I say, insert ad into this podcast.
Speaker 2: Take that.
Speaker 1: Ha, Okay, we're back. We've been talking about the conference. That's a very small part of this. But the fact that they're trying to essentially end conferences or cut them down to extremely bare bones. The overall rules for overhead cost rates for research grants would not change in this particular situation. So we have to really quickly describe grant structure, which sounds really boring, but I can summarize it, I think fairly cohesively. So understand that like a lot of the scientists who applied for these are at universities of some kind, private, public, whatever. They're at universities, and the university has to pay that researchers, that scientists salary. They often have to set them up with the lab. They have to pay for their internet and their equipment and their desks, and like, they have to pay a lot of money to keep a researcher and a research team in their space. So when a researcher brings in grants, then the university takes a percentage of that grant to help offset the cost that they've invested in having that person there doing research in the first place. It's called an indirect cost. Okay, you take a place like you and R A common indirect cost you'll see is about thirty percent. So if they get a one million dollar grant for something, the university is going to take approximately three hundred thousand dollars of that grant to cover the cost of paying for that researcher and their research space and equipment and everything to be there. Right, it sounds like a lot and it is, but you know they still then have seven hundred thousand dollars to do what and that's they plan for that, Like they budget for We're going to apply for this grant knowing this is how much of that money we will get that we will then spend on these things, and they write they plan that all out, and that's called the indirect cost. Some universities have in direct costs as high as seventy percent. That does feel extreme to me, But you know, I don't know what their actual operating overhead costs are, Like I'm sure they're massive.
Speaker 2: Well, and it probably depends on the research it very much, does you know, Like it depends on the equipment that's needed. Like you know, there's a different like like we kind of talk, we come from a behavior analysis standpoint where it's like we need to have like maybe rat cages and stuff like that sometimes if we're doing a rat lab, but like we don't work in a space where we need a telescope that can see planets in other solar systems, right, So like that's a very different cost set.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Or like if you need a lab with a lot of chemicals, you need a ton of safety equipment and protocols and emergency things. It's going to be so expensive to operate a lab for chemists then for baby analysts, and so the expense to the university is much much higher. So they're probably going to claim a higher indirect cost. So it varies I think by grant by funding source a little bit. But there's gonna be like university policy around this as well. Yeah, last year they tried to cap indirect costs at fifteen percent. This would murder many universities ability to fund scientists on the campus if they did that. That part failed, and they're not including that exact thing in this next round of this. What they are calling on is for favoring distributing grants to institutions that have lower indirect costs, and for prohibiting money going to publication costs, which I'll come back to that a second. And less such costs this is a direct quote from the document, and less such costs are expressly required by statute or approved in advanced by the federal agency on a case by case basis. That's another important part we need to get to. So one quick thing. These grants are largely funded by tax dollars, pretty much entirely funded by tax dollars, and so when this research happens, a lot of people have argued, if our tax dollars paid for this, this should be made publicly available. The problem is the sources that publish that research also have to pay for their costs, and so they will often not make research publicly available. And that's kind of the deal. They're like, you publish your research here, we want your research here, and then people who buy subscriptions to our journal can have access to that research, or people can buy these articles directly for sometimes hundreds of dollars. Well, what a grant can do is have costs from the funding of the grant that go to pay the publication for that so it becomes an open access article and anybody can read it. I do think in an ideal world, tax funded research should be always publicly available. And I understand the complicated nuance of having private publishing companies who have to make sure that they can cover their overhead, but that's just a thing to make sure that you know, is there what this would do. This is largely going to punish ivy leagues and like large institutions. That's one of the effects. But that also means it's going to go to universities that have lower indirect costs. Why do they have lower indirect costs? Probably because they don't have as much stuff that they that they can provide to the researchers. They don't have to pay for us, right, so they don't have state of the art equipments, they don't have cutting edge technology. They're like operating off of like Windows ninety five Dell PC that that takes up an entire closet, you.
Speaker 2: Know, right, and honestly, like what that does is at first you might be going, well, why does research need the state of the art equipment? Because we need to be as current as possible with our research, and at the end of the day, like having less quality equipment or less access to equipment or any of that stuff is going to reduce the quality of the research at large, or it's going to prevent the research from happening at all, which is a different problem, exactly right, exactly, So the proposal from the OMB also aims to replace the peer review process with the judgment of non expert political appointees sworn to carry out the wishes of President Donald Trump. I say that sentence, and I cannot believe that it is a real sentence that I had to say out loud. Yeah, we did an episode on peer review, and we explicitly say, like, is it the best process that we could possibly have? Absolutely not, but it is certainly better than having non experts political appointees who have a particular political agenda reviewing research. That is I mean, that is Orwellian.
Speaker 1: Yeah, to put it nicely, Yeah, And that's what I was saying in terms of we need to come back to what they mean by on a case by case basis is that they're now saying like, no longer does peer review matter, like at all, it doesn't matter. Essentially, what's going to happen is all of these grants get signed off by a political appointee and just as you said, their job description is do what the president tells you to do with research, right, that means they're only going to fund research that look looks like it carries out the agenda of the current political administration, that looks like it's going to shine that administration in a positive light, and that has a narrative that is in line with what the administration is trying to push as a narrative, and that these political appointees who are not experts at all, Like they're explicitly not choosing experts for this role. They are choosing people who are politicians, very stupid politicians, maybe not even politicians, but like personalities, corporate shills, people who have a vested interest in carrying out their agenda and do not know a fucking thing about science. Yeah, those the people who will be making decisions about research dollars and research proposals.
Speaker 2: It's a group of people who rules against conflicts of interests have being written about the reason we prevent conflicts of interest in research are because of people like this they're talking about bringing in, Yes, like, you do not want Andrew Wakefield being the responsible person for reviewing vaccine research, absolutely not God, and that's what he's doing. That's what he's doing. You do not want doctor Oz being the quote unquote peer reviewer for herbal vitamin supplements that treat cancer, like that he's gonna approve it because he has a vested interest in that industry.
Speaker 1: Right exactly, these people who don't know what they're doing, and all this creates is a way for the government to have complete control over what the outcomes of scientific research look like. Another direct quote here, This is from somebody describing this. Her name is Elizabeth Genexi Genexy. What she says is, quote, what OMB is proposing is not a reform of grants management. It is a complete political control apparatus layered over every stage of the federal science funding life cycle. And this was a former NIH program official who had read the rules and was providing an analysis of what this was. Because they're claiming that they're reforming grant management, that's not what they're doing. What they're doing is completely eliminating the structure of science that guided this process and replacing it with a presidential agenda driven apparatus that is no longer science. It is a propaganda machine.
Speaker 2: Yes, and that should be very concerning to everybody who hears this. Now there are other quotes. Another quote that came out was that a lot of grant decisions are based on the knowledge of experts in a field in a particular field, so grant decisions are reviewed by people in the field who make decisions about that. I just got done reviewing like seven grants from a university. Like I got to do some grant reviews. And the reason I was asked to do grant reviews is because I'm a behavior analyst reviewing behavior analytic grants. That makes sense, So like I'm an expert in a field of behavior analysis who is doing grant reviews. Grant reviews are supposed to be from the experts, not in a situation, and they should not be reviewed based on whether it meets an ideological agenda. Merit reviews are all about making sure that the research and the grants and the proposals meet the rigor and standards of the science, replacing it with a decision making model that is primarily politically idealized, it follows a certain ideology. It's going to result in really bad, really bad studies, really poorly designed studies, bad science, fake science being refunded, being researched, and being published as truth. It's going to create a body of literature that is not replicable, that is not verifiable, that is wasting money and time on stuff that we already know doesn't work, Like facilitated communication, like the fact that vaccines cause autism, which they don't. We know all those things do not work. But this is just going to outcate money and waste time and resources for research. It's going to be bad science exactly.
Speaker 1: And the great irony of the people who are in charge saying that everything should be a meritocracy, that everything should be merit based, is they are exactly destroying a merit based system, right they say merit based, and what they advocate is nepotism and loyalty. Merit is not factor in whatsoever and the things that they do not at all. Yeah, and merit does not factor into our choice to run ads. Okay, we're back. We've been talking about this fact that one of the major changes is shifting the decision making apparatus to political appointees who are selected explicitly and expressly to carry out the agenda of the president. Senior appointees at federal agencies would be the ones to actually sign off on the awards and would ban collaboration with foreign researchers. They would cut federal support for publication of those studies when they're done. They are explicitly not going to fund anything that has certain verbiag in it that they don't like. If it says things like diversity, they would pretty much outright reject it. Says anything about equity, it would outright reject it. They made a list of words that you're not supposed to use, including women and women. Why you're just not supposed to say those words. You are limited in whether or not you can say anything about race whatsoever. And they're only going to allow it if it conveys the narrative that they want to tell. Like you might start seeing a bunch of research that says, oh, racism isn't real and never was real, and that's not even a thing, and like that would be something that they would okay to be published because that's in line with the narrative they're trying to spin.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and you would hope, you know, I was thinking about this, and you know, you would hope that scientists with integrity would never publish research that was so harmful. But then you have people like Jordan Peterson who would publish stuff like this, yeah, and is not a reputable scientist and walks around pretending to be a scientist. And that's who these grants are going to go to. Yes, is these grants are going to go to people like Jordan Peterson and doctor Oz.
Speaker 1: Yeah, psychopaths who who have an agenda and don't know what they're doing.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Yeah. The other important part of this regulation that we're talking about is that over the last several years, Donald Trump has put out some executive orders that are pretty just awful and dumb and just absolutely fit the Project twenty twenty five agenda. This proposal would actually give legal weight to some of those executive orders, because something that people don't talk about enough is that a lot of his executive orders are being shut down because they're not legal. Right, So, like an executive order doesn't mean that it immediately applies. It means that it applies for a period of time until it gets challenged in court and then somebody goes, oh, by the way, you can't call it the Trump Kennedy Center because you don't have that executive authority, you see, an idiot. Right. Courts are doing that a lot more than people realize. So Donald Trump is losing time after time in courts. But if this proposal, this regulation, this proposed regulation is accepted and is codified and goes in the law as promulgated or whatever terms you want to use. It gives weight to a lot of the executive orders that he put out last year that banned research on diversity, equity, and inclusivity. Right, So going back to what you were just saying, you can't say those words, and now there's a legal precedent to back that up. If this proposed regulation goes through, it provides tighter oversight by political appointees, not peer reviewers, not researchers, political appointees, and they will actually prevent research agencies from this is a direct quote from quote promoting a woke policy agenda that did not reflect the values of the vast majority of the American public end quote. Get about that is so it's so ridicult, it's so absurd, But this is what they're putting into law or trying to.
Speaker 1: Yeah, so that's essentially. I think the thing to really understand about this is the sort of major aspects of this, and there's a lot. There's a lot in this proposal. There's one more thing that I want to address, because we've mentioned this indirect cost cap that they sort of have potentially said that like we're going to make sure this goes to universities with lower and direct costs, and some people scientists are kind of like, oh, that could actually be a good thing. And the thing is, like, as you said, as we've mentioned, the grant system I think is not perfect. I do think there are ways that it could be improved to ensure that the way money is spent makes sense. I do think that grant writers, generally, the ones that I have met at least, are very responsible, very thoughtful, intelligent people who are doing their best to use those funds in a very responsible way right And where things go wrong it is because of other things that get in the way of that. And I understand the need to have like some consideration around percentages on this, and that it's possible there are some universities who abuse that to some extent. Some scientists are also aware of the fact that, like, it does feel icky sometimes to like get a super large grant and have almost all of that grant go to the university and then you're left with very little to actually do your research. And so they could be seen that and be like, well, that could be a good thing. Don't let the silver lining of this undercut the massive significance of us throwing away science and just digging a shallow grave for it and throwing it in, right, because like this proposal would significantly disrupt any scientific research, Like there would be little and what little existed would suck. It would be so it would be useless. They would be ignored by the rest of the world. Right So, and would be easily disprovable. Although you wouldn't be able to do that research in the United States. I think understanding that just because there's one thing in here that might kind of help make sense a little bit, it's not worth it. It's like throwing a cherry into a pile of diarrhea. I'm like, just because there's a cherry, and it doesn't mean I'm gonna eat that pile of diarrhea. Like it's still a pile of diarrhea. Yeah, it also happens to have a cherry in it.
Speaker 2: Yeah. This is a dark ages indicator. Yeah, this type of rhetoric, this type of belief around like dismantling systems of science. It's a dark age is indicator, like we are well on our way if we're not already like well in it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that is kind of where we're going. So there is something I think that I want to get into really quick just understanding a little bit about government structure and what that all means, because we sort of alluded to this before. I'm going to describe a type of government and see if you can figure out which one it is. This is a government that is controlled by a single party, with state controlled command economy and the suppression of political dis Individual freedoms are limited, and the government controls things like manufacturing and production by having ownership in those processes those types of entities. And the government also controls the flow of information in the narrative. They suppress any discussion in the news and research, et cetera. And they criticize and silence critics, stripping them of funding, imprisoning them, deporting them if they can. That's a kind of government that exists. What kind of government is that?
Speaker 2: Hmmmm, good question. Is it one where the leader goes by big brother?
Speaker 1: That is a form that this can take.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, I mean, if this sounds like authoritarianism, you're right. I mean, if this sounds like communism, you're also right. In practice, these forms of government are basically the same. Our government is turning into this. Historically, the government has influenced the private sector through policy, regulation, subsidies, and bailouts. But now the government has an eight point nine billion dollar stake in Intel, a fifteen percent stake in Navidia, a four hundred million dollar stake in a rare earth mining company, and government board representatives in Nippon Steel. This is communism. This is authoritarianism headed by a cognitively impaired, murderous megalomaniac. We are, for lack of a better term, because of Trump, and definitely because of the people who want him empower and who are using him. I mean, you could make the argument that he is a monster in his own right, and he absolutely is, but there are also monsters who may be worse, who are hiding in the shadows, who are absolutely using him for their own gain as well. So like, and they're all people who hate science, especially science that helps people. All they care about is money, power and authority, and under this administration, that's what they're getting.
Speaker 1: Yeah. I mean, for the people on the right who say they hate communism, this is communism. Our government now owns private equity in private companies and therefore has some controlling interest in what they do. That's what communism does the government is appointing political appointees to control the flow of information. That is both authoritarianism and communism. They are suppressing individual freedoms and suppressing discussion and limiting dissent, criticizing and silencing critics, disappearing people. That is authoritarianism and communism. More authoritarism than the communism, but they both do it. Like that's where we're currently at, Like is we are headed in that way? And I kind of want to end with like, this is what happens when Republicans get control. There's only been a handful of times in the history of this country. I was looking at like sort of a political map when the Republicans had control over all three bodies of government, the executive branch, the legislative branch, and the judicial branch. The cut Republicans controlled the House of Representatives, they control the Senate, they control the Presidency, they control the Supreme Court. They have complete control. And this is what happens when they get in control. They turn the government into a dictatorship, some revolting hybrid of fascism and communism, and so so so many scientists are going to lose their jobs should this policy come to pass because they will no longer be able to operate and do the work that they've been doing unless they are doing the bidding of the president. And that should be extremely alarming, like upsettingly extremely alarming. H this should just not be a thing that could possibly happen here.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's absurd. It's like watching the movie Idiocracy. Yeah, but like at the very least, like this is so much worse because it's happening in real time and it's you just just the monsters are exposed over and over and over again. It's just it's really unbelievable.
Speaker 1: Ads are like watching Idiocracy. Okay, we're back, we've been I guess, concluding our sort of thoughts here on this new proposal on what's going on here. Yeah, I cannot being believed something like this could possibly happen in this country in my lifetime. I can't believe it that we're here. I can't believe that some whole, useless, pathetic for brains, derelic waste of life have risen to the point where they could successfully pull this off. Just reflecting on this, looking over this, like, I can't believe that the American people are so fkingullible and uninformed and misinformed that we would not only let this happen, but actively fking choose it. Yeah, that's where we're looking at right now.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's infuriating.
Speaker 1: It is unbelievable that we could be at this place right now. Holy you guys, what the is going on?
Speaker 2: Yeah?
Speaker 1: I want to be careful to understand that, like most people do not agree with this, but we got enough people to agree with this to get us here in the first place. And to those people, this is on your shoulders.
Speaker 2: Yeah, absolutely. I mean, at this point in time, we've already lost our status in the world stage as a research powerhouse or as a place where we could be a beacon of some kind of knowledge in the world. We've lost that and are likely to only fall further due to the incomprehensibly stupid decisions of this administration. And I say stupid, but I think there's also like stupid and intentionally violent or intentionally anti science decisions that this administration is making.
Speaker 1: It's like corruption and self serving and counterproductive. Like there are smart people in this administration. They're doing horrible things. And I call, you know, I call it stupid because I think it's shortsighted, but like they are, actually they know what they're doing. They're just choosing to end the world.
Speaker 2: Yeah yeah, And if this goes through, this country will be plunged into a steep decline into the dark ages. We will be joining the ranks of North Korea and Afghanistan, a state of terror ruled by oppressive religious fanatics where no one has any freedom. The true goal of the Republican Party, which it has always been, Yeah, it has always been that, and they have always told.
Speaker 1: Us so, politics aside, because, as we sort of said, scientists, science generally speaking is while it is made up of individuals who often have a political agenda, the overall or the overarching direction and flow of science is not political. Sometimes scientific findings are more supportive of policies that a conservative would prefer. Sometimes they are more supportive of findings that a liberal would prefer. And it's just going to report on whatever it finds. And it can't do that if it's being told what to report by the people who are holding the purse strings now, right, So this would effectively kill science in the United States. Fortunately, other countries have stepped up to really increase their funding and contributions to science. France and Spain have been pushing a lot to fund a lot of scientific research, and a lot of people are leaving the country who are scientists to go to those countries because they're very friendly to people who are experts and know what they're doing. So they'll probably become more or less the powerhouses of scientific research moving forward. And good for them, I guess, But really for us in the United States.
Speaker 2: Yeah, real bad. It's a real bad situation now.
Speaker 1: Most of the time when there are proposals of this nature, there's a pretty long window of time that people can weigh in and share their thoughts. This is a public thing, so you listener can do this if you'd like. The President of the Council and Government Relations states that this is an unusually short period of time for such wide changes. But we have forty five days from when this was announced, which was I think May twenty ninth or twenty eighth, something like that, that this was announced, forty five days to comment on these proposed regulations, and at the time that you hear this will have very very little. That means that the final day for public comment is July thirteenth, So do not wait, if you would like to share your thoughts on this, I'm putting the links in here. You can go to a portal. It's at Federal Register dot gov. But if you just google, I don't remember what I googled, but if you google something about this, like the OMB grant proposal thing in public comment, you should be able to find it in some capacity. If you just google any of those words. Many of the news sites have links to the specific portal you can go and leave comments. I know I will be doing this. Yeah, my hope that Shane will be doing this. I expect that many of our listeners can and also would have an interest in doing this. Tell them to GoF with this nonsense. Yeah, obviously do it and not those words. They need to hear this message, but like they need to hear that this is not something we're okay with. Not that that's going to stop them, it probably won't, but they need to hear it as much as possible.
Speaker 2: Yeah, absolutely, Okay.
Speaker 1: I think that is what we have to say about this god awful nightmare that we live in.
Speaker 2: Yeah. I'm not sure what else I say right now, other than please speak up like it can be hard. It can be scary, but please speak up.
Speaker 1: It makes a difference, Yes, it does, and share this episode. I mean, I know I say that selfishly to like get us out there, but like this is something people need to hear as well. We are reporting on exactly what is being said on here, and yes we icinged on a lot of our opinions about it, but the point is, like we're not making this up. This is what is probably gonna happen, and it represents a dangerous, dangerous move in this country that will royally guss for decades to come. Yes, absolutely, Okay, great, well, thanks to all those who got us here. If you would like to tell us your thoughts on this, you can email us directly infowwdwwdpodcast dot com. We look forward to hearing from. You can also leave us a message on the social media platforms. That is great too. If you are joining us for the first time. You may not know this, but at the end of our discussions we do some fun recommendations that are unrelated to our topic at hand. It's it's a good time. We just you know, we enjoy it. I think we think people enjoy it. It's cool, it's fun. First, I'd like to say that. As I mentioned, if you'd like to support us, you can join us on Patreon. If you do, you get poonus content, add free episodes, early episodes, and I will read your name in the list of supporters who help us make this show a show. So thank you so much too, Mike, m Megan, Mike T, Justin, Kim Brad, Stephanie, Brian, Ashley, Kiara, and Charlie for all that you have done for helping us stick around and be a podcast. You are the best.
Speaker 2: You are truly the loveliest.
Speaker 1: Indeed, you can also support us by leaving us a rating and a review. Go click those five stars or ten stars, however many stars it'll let you click. It just makes you feel good, It helps us, it helps the algorithm. It's all good stuff. That's just one way you can support us non financially. You can also tell a friend to make sure you subscribe to catch all future episodes, and then like or whatever share this. Go subscribe, Go tell friends. Okay. Also, thank you to my team of people for helping me make this podcast exist. Writing in fact checking from Shane and myself. Thank you for recording with me today. Shane, Hey, thanks for having me social media Coordinator z Emma Wilson, and our audio technician engineer God Emperor Executive is Justin who is so good at what he does and wonderful. I would want him on my peer review committee definitely, And of course thank you all for listening. But I think that gets us to the point where we can get to our recommendations.
Speaker 2: I love it recommendations. I'm gonna recommend a movie that just came out, and that movie is called Star Wars, The Mandalorian and Grow Goo. So if you are a fan of the Mandalorian show, it's just a great Indiana Jones cowboy western adventure type of Star Wars story like. It plays a lot of like you know, the good, the bad, and the ugly. It plays a lot like some of those old spaghetti westerns that people talk about, so this is no different. It adds to the lore I think of Star Wars a little bit where you've got job of the Huts family that's involved in this and they're awful. And it's got Pedro Pascal, who is great. It's got Sigourney Weaver in it. She's really good as a New Republic commander, which is really cool.
Speaker 1: Cool.
Speaker 2: I don't know, it's just fun. It's what's lovely about it is it's a Star Wars story that's not about the Skywalker family, which I think we need some of those sometimes yes to kind of expand on that world. And I think that it's just a great adventure story. Like it's a fun, just kind of Indiana Jones style adventure story in Star Wars. So it's worth checking out. It's a good time.
Speaker 1: I'm very interested in seeing this. Yeah, I hope to make it to the theater before it's gone for six months and then finally makes it to streaming by December. So yeah, yeah, I definitely want to see this. Very good. I'm recommending a TV show. I've recommended it before, but they just wrapped season five, so I'm recommending the TV show Ghosts. This is the American version of a UK show, as Americans like to do sometimes. The premise, if you don't know, is somebody who hits their head, dies temporarily and then wakes up and they can see ghosts and they realize that the house that they've inherited, this large mansion, is just filled with ghosts and high jinks ensue. And so the season's been great it's such a great show. It's honestly one of my favorite shows that's on right now. It's really funny. It's set up like a sitcom, but it also has a lot of heart at times. I think the writing is just really really well done. I love all the actors on it, so really fun show. I know it's a CBS show, so it's available on Peacock, I believe. Okay, maybe on Amazon. I think I think those are places you can find it. It's around, so I recommend it.
Speaker 2: I love it, all right.
Speaker 1: That is Ghosts, the TV show and and the movie the new movie Star Wars, the Mandalorian, and grogu our recommendations. But yeah, I think that's what I have to say about this. I think I'm gonna go fume some more about the horrors of our derelict future. Anything you'd like to add or that I forgot before we wrap up?
Speaker 2: No, I think I think that covers it great.
Speaker 1: All right, This is Abraham, this is Shane. We're out.
Speaker 2: See ya.
Speaker 1: You've been listening to Why We Do What We Do.
Speaker 2: You can learn more about this and other episodes by.
Speaker 1: Going to WWD WWD podcast dot com.
Speaker 2: Thanks for listening and We hope you have an awesome day.