Speaker 1: Initial Life Sequenzy coming to you live from Houston, Texas, home to the world's largest medical.
Speaker 2: Center, Chase. Everything looking a really gremonial.
Speaker 1: This is Your Health First, the most beneficial health program on radio with doctor Joe Bellotti. During the next hour, you'll learn about health, wellness and the provention of disease. Now here's your host, doctor Joe Bellotti.
Speaker 3: Well, a good Sunday evening too, everybody, Thanks very much for tuning in on this glorious Sunday evening to Your Health First. We hear every Sunday between seven and eight pm.
Speaker 2: Central time of cars and we're heard.
Speaker 3: Coast to coast on the Heart Radio app.
Speaker 2: Make sure you log in and.
Speaker 3: Save seven forty kh as.
Speaker 1: Your favorite app on your.
Speaker 3: List of shortcuts, so you never miss an episode.
Speaker 2: No matter where you.
Speaker 3: Are traveling, you're on vacation, in your garage, in your car, You're always going to be just one click away from all of us on Your Health First. All right, well, thanks very much for tuning in, as I tell everybody, and we're going to be entering our twenty third year. I believe it's next week is the anniversary, but twenty three years of Sunday night is really a bit of a feat for us that we've had the drive an enthusiasm to continue with this, and it is a sheer labor of love for all of us on the program, my team, everybody that works with me to get the show put together, share ideas, get in experts. But when you look at your health and wellness, really there's no skimping. This is what it requires. I went into medicine to take care of people, and yes, we treat people that are sick, but it is more important that we take care of people before they get sick. It's easy to treat somebody that has a disease. It's much more work for me and you to work on the preventive side because we have to really break so many bad habits. But we could talk about that a little later, all right. So to be part of the program, our website Doctor Joegalotti dot com, d rjoeg A l a TI dot com that is where you can find all of our social media links, Send me a message, signer for our newsletter, get a copy of my book Eating Yourself Sick. Take a look at our practice website for liver specialists of Texas.
Speaker 2: When we're not on the radio.
Speaker 3: We are taking care of people at liver disease, liver cancer, sohrosis i'll call related liver disease and other digestive type problems. But you have to go to doctor Joe Galotti dot com. That's where it's all at all right, So for the UH and we were talking about this a couple of weeks ago. The month, the month of March is colon cancer Awareness Month or colon cancer Cancer Prevention Month, and certainly that's what I do. I screen people for colon cancer with colon oscoby. We talk about diet. Unfortunately, people that do develop colon cancer, so we're involved in their care and follow up, working with our oncology and surgical associates. But the key thing here is that in many, many cases, colon cancer can be prevented two ways. One have a better diet, and we'll talk about that in a minute. The other thing is to know your risk factors, and colon cancer is one of these cancers that is genetically linked. If you have a parent or a sibling, a brother or a sister that has colon cancer or colon polyps, you then are at increased risk. So knowing your history, you can intervene earlier, intervene maybe more aggressively, and be really on top of the game and catch things early. When you look at the statistics of how many people get colon cancer, there's about well, it's over one hundred and fifty thousand new cases in the United States. Men are more likely than women to be diagnosed, and your lifetime risk is about one in twenty four for men and about one in twenty six for women. So that's you know, that's a fair amount. And as far as mortality, how many people is it killing. There's about fifty five thousand deaths in the United States between colon cancer and rectal cancer. The average age at diagnosis is sixty six, most common in people over sixty five.
Speaker 2: We know that.
Speaker 3: And the five year survival rate ninety one percent for early stages, thirteen percent for late stages. So there's a tremendous drop off between early and late stage. So conventional wisdom would say, get screened, be aware. Now with regard to diet, let's just talk about that for a second. There is no doubt that diet plays a role in the development of colon cancer. And you may be sitting there and say, hey, doctor, Galotti. What kind of diet should I be on? Well, this is sort of a two part answer. There's been research looking at the DASH diet DASH dietary approach to stop hypertension. Now, this is something that came out of the American Heart Association. So if you have hypertension, high blood pressure, you should be on the D diet. I don't think that's something that we could really argue. But within the DASH diet, you're going to have a high intake of fruits and vegetables, whole grains, nuts, legomes, and low dietary i'm sorry, low fat dairy, and a much lower intake of red and processed meats. Processed meats are going to be hot dogs. All of your deli meat, I'm sorry to break that to you. The bores head counter at your local deli or supermarket is no good. And then things like bacon, sausage, things like that. So not only will being on a DASH diet reduce hypertension, there's some evidence that it will reduced the risk of colon cancer. Now, part of it is because you're going to be eliminating reducing the carcinogens or carcinogen promoting compounds that you get in foods like bacon, cold cuts, ham, hot dogs, and sausage. So you're taking away the sort of a fuel that stimulates colon cancer, and I would say just bad health in general. Okay, So now the other thing about diet. So we know about the DASH diet, so fruits and vegetables, nuts, beans, reduce red meat, eliminate red meat, eliminate processed meats, and low fat dairy. Now the other thing is beans. Now this is the data is not waterproof or water tight, but there is a suggestion that if you have a diet high in beans legomes, you will reduce your likelihood of colon polyps by sixty five percent. So the beans that we're talking about, lentils, garbonzo beans, pinto beans, these are excellent foods to get into your diet. They are anti carcinogenic, anti inflammatory, They have good sources of dietary fiber, lower your cholesterol.
Speaker 2: So again, all in all, a very.
Speaker 3: Nutritious food that you should definitely be eating. The third thing to think about is really getting ultra processed foods out of your diet. We've talked about this a whole bunch. You may want to look back on articles in our newsletter and radio episodes. But ultraprocessed foods do lots of things to us. Changed the bacteria in our gut. We've talked many times about the intestinal microbiome and how having a proper set of bacteria in your gut reduces cancer, cuts down on inflammation in the gut, and just keeps us all the more healthier. So ultra processed foods, stay away from foods that have emulsifiers, Stay away from all of these preservatives, artificial colors, artificial flavors. These are all ultra processed foods, and ultra processed foods are basically stripped of all of the nutritious elements of what that food is supposed to have. Or you know, look the it's Frankenstein food. This is completely manufactured food. It looks nothing like what it originally started out to be. So again, dash diet beans eliminate ultra processed food, and uh, you know that will not only reduce your chance of colon cancer, but also reduce your inflammation and keep you healthy or in general, reduce your risk of heart disease, diabetes, kidney disease, fatty liver.
Speaker 2: What I take care of every single day.
Speaker 3: And then as far as appropriate screening, certainly colonoscopy is the gold standard. It's going to visually look at the inside of the colon and if we see polyps, we take them out. It's that easy. Now a lot of people say the bowel prep it's a whole new sense. Yes, it is a minor pain in the neck, pain in the butt. If you want to say that you have to take the day off, you give an anesthesia. But again, these are procedures that are safe and effective and meant to be a screening test meaning get you in, get you out with limited risk, view tremendous benefit, tremendous benefit of a screen and colonoscopy with minimal risk to you. The other is, and you see these on TV for things like colon guard.
Speaker 2: So colon guard is.
Speaker 3: A test that you submit a sample of stool and it is looking for DNA, genetic material and blood in your stool, looking for a genetic signature, genetic profile of a polyp or early colon cancer. If you have no risk factors, your father didn't have colon cancer, your kids didn't have colon cancer, you didn't have a brother with colon cancer or colon pops, you would be an appropriate candidate. If you have abdominal pain, weight loss, blod your stool. Colon gart is not the test you need to go for a colonoscopy.
Speaker 2: All right. So that's it.
Speaker 3: We're gonna take a quick break here and we will be back a few more, few more things on colonoscopy. The month of March is colon cancer Awareness month, and the screening for colon cancer now is forty five, not fifty.
Speaker 2: For decades it was fifty years old.
Speaker 3: It was sort of part of your fifty year old birthday year, your birthday party, lots of jazzaying that, oh now, Bob, you're fifty, you need to get a colonoscopy. Now it's forty five, So keep that in mind for everybody listening tonight. Are you forty five? Are you going to be forty five? You need to start screening for colon cancer?
Speaker 2: All right, Doctor Joe Galotti, this is your hell first.
Speaker 3: Every Sunday between seven and eight pm, don't forget go to doctor Joe Glotti dot com. Stay tuned up right back, raising your health. Iich one listener at a time. I'm doctor Joe Galotti.
Speaker 2: This is your health first.
Speaker 3: Visit our website, doctor Joglotti dot com, signer for oug newsletter. If you got a problem, don't care what it is.
Speaker 1: If you're made a hem, I'm not gonna show you.
Speaker 2: And this song is afrofos. Yes we can help. We're here as a resource.
Speaker 3: To make you better consumers of healthcare, and really, have you understand the you know, really what's at stake here.
Speaker 2: I see patients.
Speaker 3: I've been seeing patients for a very long time, and I have seen everything. I've heard every story. I have heard every situation, heartbreaking stories, and so much of it comes down to not so much not being aware, but it's not being aware to tie all of the dots together. People generally want to be well, and I have this conversation with them, but part of it is they don't really see what is in front of them. They have a particular symptom, something hurts, something is not right. They realize it, but they're not quite sure how to take it to the next step. And then ultimately, when it's obvious that something is horribly wrong, they go to the er, they go to their doctor. They come in and then you're basically saying, where the hell have you been for six months? Why hasn't anybody in your family, wife, husband, boyfriend, girlfriend? What are your kids realize that you've lost fifty pounds which didn't happen overnight, It took place over six months. Everybody at work is like, gee, Bob's not looking good. What the hell's going on with him?
Speaker 2: Well?
Speaker 3: I don't want to ask and be nosy. Well be nosy, butt in, speak up, pull them aside and say, hey, what the hell's going on with you? Why do you look the way you do it? That's something that could save somebody's life. But we don't like to butt in and be nosy and stuff like that.
Speaker 2: So be aware.
Speaker 3: If you see something, you know this whole thing. You see something, call something, see something, do something. Yeah, same thing for health, same thing for health.
Speaker 2: All right. In the final couple of minutes here.
Speaker 3: Before we take another break, what you know we've been talking about colon cants. What are some of the colon cancer symptoms? How do you know that you might have colon cancer? Or time to hit the red button and say hey, I gotta get some help. One is diarrhea or constipation. Now, if you eat too many beef burritos and have diarrhea the next morning, that's okay, that doesn't mean you have colon cancer. But if it goes on the next day and the next day, and then you get a little relief, and then five days later you get diarrhea for three days, and it seems your new normal is diarrhea. For Pete's sakes, you've got to get attention. Same thing constipation.
Speaker 2: Again.
Speaker 3: We all get constipated. We eat too much cheese, we get constipated. A lot of people get constipated when they travel, they're out of their routine. But if constipation goes on for three days, five days, ten days a month, and you're saying to yourself, man, I am constipated. This is totally out of bounds for me. It's not just so you haven't had enough fiber. Depending on how old you are, that's a problem. Next thing is sort of this weird feeling that your bowels don't completely empty. You have the urge, you have a bowel movement, you go to the bathroom, you sit down, something comes out, but you're like, I still feel like there's a whole bunch of stuff in there still. And then maybe you go back an hour later and you still feel like you're not fully evacuated. That could be a sign. Any blood in your stool, and you can't sign it off to well, well I got hemorrhoids. Yeah, that'll be okay for like a couple of days. But if you repeatedly have blood in your stool, it needs to be checked out. The other thing is narrowing of the stool. We say a change in the caliber of the stool. So now you have a normal turd that comes out, but now it is narrow we say pencil like or ribbon like. No good, have to get it checked out. Cramps are bloating, sort of general complaints. Got to take a look at it. Unintended weight loss or a decrease appetite. Those are the things that you have to be on the lookout for, okay, and just simply be aware. All right, quick break coming up here, Doctor Joe Golotti. Always a real pleasure to be here Sunday evening, sharing part of your weekend with you. Dr Jogolotti dot com is our website.
Speaker 2: Sign up for our newsletter.
Speaker 3: Check out my book Eating Yourself Sick. Pick it out on Amazon. I'll bright back all right, Well, welcome back, everybody, Doctor Joe Glotti.
Speaker 2: This is your health First.
Speaker 3: We're here every Sunday evening between the hour of seven and a pm. I'm do mystic about the way that things are going.
Speaker 2: In And.
Speaker 3: You know, this is a great song from the UH nineteen seventy three, I think by Chicago. Name of the song this dialogue and it's a so back and forth conversation about things are good, things are bad. One person sees things on the sunny side, the other one sees things as being pretty bad.
Speaker 2: But it's a great little song.
Speaker 3: I think it was on Chicago five for you children of the seventies. All right, well, doctor Joe Glotti, your hell first, every Sunday between seven and eight pm. And as we always say, trying to make you better consumers of healthcare. Last segment, we were talking about colon cancer. Do really do pay attention to it in that you may be sitting on the fence, not sure do I need it or do you have enough nerve to get up.
Speaker 2: And do the test.
Speaker 3: People find it invasive, which I could understand that, And people don't like having their buttocks touched and their rectum and scopes going in. They find that really sort of horrible. Now, as as somebody that does this procedure.
Speaker 2: Believe it or not.
Speaker 3: I have a number of colleagues, friends, neighbors, men and women that will call up and say, hey, I need to have this test done and I trust you and I know you, and et cetera, et cetera, and they have no problem coming for the test. That sort of I don't want to say shame, but that embarrassment that we all create on ourselves. There are some people and others just show me, Hey, I got to get this done. I have to stay healthy for myself, my husband, my wife, my kids.
Speaker 2: Just go and do it.
Speaker 3: But colon cancer is one of those things that we certainly can impact and cut down on. All right, So, and an article that I came across, and for many of you that you know may be familiar with me in the program, I literally try and scour all various news sources radio, TV, newspapers, magazines, other newsletters. And now, of course we have to pay attention to what people are saying online. And that is really a double edged sword in that there's good material out there that is thought provoking, provocative things that we need to know. It will stimulate conversation sort of like this and others that are not all that good, and they are more sensational, and they are frightening and a little put offish to say that. And so it's really really hard to figure out for you, the consumer. You're not in healthcare, you are most people are just casual consumers of this information, and you're just trying your damnedest to make sense of it. So a post that was made by doctor Mark Hyman, m D. Now his credentials are fifteen New York Times best selling author, co founder and director of Ultra Wellness Center, co founder of at Functional Medicine, and founder of Functional Medicine at the Cleveland Clinic. Now you would think that this is somebody we need to pay attention to. And I'm not saying not to. I am not saying anything about doctor Hyman, And in fact, I will be reaching out to him this coming week to see if he can on the program and just sort of explain where he's coming from. But uh, and and again, this is somebody that was way out ahead of the pack before Make America Healthy Again, before the MAHA movement. He was out there talking about food and preservatives and artificial flavors and the like. But anyway, he posted something with it was a list of pictures and I'm going to face this face post this on Facebook later tonight, which is at doctor Joe Galotti on Facebook at doctor Joe Glotti on Facebook.
Speaker 1: Uh.
Speaker 3: And of course you go to my website doctor Joglotti dot com and the links to social media there. But he has a list of foods which contain a food additive. It is considered an emulsifier with mono and die glycerides, and the name of it is karriganan c A R R A G E E N A N karragienan, and he basically says, do not eat these foods. Discard immediately. If you recognize any of these in your or loved one's kitchen, throw it out. It's the easiest act of love you can do for them today. So you read that, you say, wow, I love my wife. I'm going to start throwing out all his food. But the the foods that he has here, in no particular order, the fair Light, Core Power Beverages, a McCafe. It's a McDonald's sweetened coffee drink. I don't believe it's butter butter coffee, Mate, Premiere Protein, Muscle Milk, Ben and Jerry's Activia, which is a yogurt with probiotics in it, Jiffy Peanut butter, Burger King Skippy Peanut butter, and Mission organic tortillas. And there are studying and really referencing a French study that looked at the impact of emulsifiers, which are as I said earlier, food additives used to improve the texture and extend the shelf life on the cancer risk. So now here again you hear cancer risk, everybody's attention is going to be on edge. So this particular study research has analyzed ninety two thousand adults over nearly seven years and found that certain emulsifiers the ones I just mentioned significantly increase cancer risk. And they're saying here that mono and diglycerides of fatty acids found in processed baked goods margarine ice cream were linked to a fifteen percent higher risk of overall cancer, twenty four percent higher risk of breast cancer, and forty six percent higher risk of prostate cancer. And they go on to say that kraginan a thickening agent in dairy alternatives, deli meats and plant based products, were linked to thirty two percent higher risk of breast cancer. Now, this is a post that he made on Instagram, and it had seventeen or it has seventeen hundred comments. And when you read through them, some are in agreement. Some are saying, there's no way I'm going to stop eating these products. They wish that he put a post up with some healthy alternatives. Others get into the detail of looking at the study, which the statistical analysis of it was not up to their liking, and thus the statistics are a bit off.
Speaker 2: And so really, what do you do? What do I do?
Speaker 3: I'm sitting here saying, yes, I have had, on occasion some of these products. I have consumed Jiff and Skippy peanut butter from time to time. I have had Premiere protein from time to time. I really never use like coffee, mate, I find that is so disgusting. But anyway, these are foods that any of us could have in our kitchen. So what, you know, what the hell are we supposed to do? Well, first of all, looking into it further myself, these naturally occurring food additives are not banned by any health or food organization to say they cause cancer. Now, that's not licensed to go eat this stuff NonStop. Number two, of course, they're going to say more research is needed. Number three, the statistical analysis of these ninety two thousand people, they don't really tell you how much of this they drink or consumed. Now, were these people eating a pint of Ben and Jerry every night? Or are they having it once a month on a Saturday night with the grandkids. Now, the other thing you could say is if you were eating a ton of Burger king a ton of Ben and Jerry, maybe you are already obese, Maybe you have diabetes, maybe you have high cholesterol. These conditions are known to cause cancer, including prostate, breast and other causes.
Speaker 2: So what is it Is the.
Speaker 3: Fact that you had muscle milk once a week, or is it the fact that you have pre diabetes, high cholesterol and you're forty pounds overweight. I don't know that, but I think the other take home message here is we have to really take stock in the amount of processed and or ultra processed foods we are eating. So one of the people said, what's a healthy alternative to muscle milk? What's an alternative to muscle milk? Well, muscle milk comes in vanilla strawberry chocolate.
Speaker 2: I would assume.
Speaker 3: After a workout, because a lot of people say, you know, after you work out, after you hit the gym, after you run your you know, five miles, you should have some muscle milk.
Speaker 2: To replace protein.
Speaker 3: You know, do you really need that? If you want some added protein and you're not lactose intolerant, why don't you have some plain greek yogurt, smash up some nuts in it, a little flax seed, a little chia seed, and you're beginning as much protein, more nutrients than this man made thing. Why don't you have a small amount of hummus. Why don't you have a serving of beans, Why don't you have a piece of fish. So again, it is the convenience of just having this in the fridge, pick up and go, and you don't have to worry about it. So are these products that are ultra processed that have these mono and diglyceride emulsifiers good for us? No, they're probably not good. I think if we look at just eating natural food that is minimally processed, we are going to be far better off. And if we look at it that way, we're probably going to be better off ourselves and healthier. Eliminating all of these easy to grab foods because that's what really they are, sort of snack food being marketed as some sort of nutritious source of protein, and we all fall prey to it, the best of us get in trouble that way, all right, Final segment coming up, Doctor Joe Goloti, don't forget Dodorjogalotti dot com is our website and on our Facebook page, I'm going to post information about what I just talked about. Final segment coming up. We'll right back. Welcome back everybody dot your Joe GOLII.
Speaker 2: It's always a pleasure.
Speaker 3: To be here on Sunday evenings. You know, it's nice to be able to do the show on Sunday evening with daylight savings and it's springtime. Weather's getting better and it's not pitched blackout when I get to the to the studios. But anyway, every Sunday, don't forget Doctor Jogalotti dot com is our website and we want to serve as a reference for all of you with regard to health and wellness and trying to do our best to keep everybody healthy. It is a big task.
Speaker 2: We are not.
Speaker 3: Fooling ourselves that to just think how big of a problem.
Speaker 2: This is, and it really is.
Speaker 3: The amount of chronic disease that we are surrounded by is overwhelming. But we have to take the bull by the hands, and this is why we are here every Sunday. We're entering out twenty third year every Sunday producing this program, coming out here, talking and everybody through the radio and all of the online sources that we have. But it is that important. When I decided as a very very young kid to go into medicine to help people, I pretty much went all in.
Speaker 2: At five o'clock.
Speaker 3: It doesn't end for me, it doesn't end for my team. We are completely committed to making this a better place. This is our mission, It is our ministry in a sense that we want to help all of you. All Right, final few minutes here, So you know, one thing that I talk about a lot is is food and cooking. And we are not selling supplements. I am not selling a Joe Galotti frying pan that I want you to buy. We are just really providing information. And the one thing that I have fun with is cooking, and I do not mind putting in the time because I know the end result is going to be that we're going to be breaking bread with friends or family or just myself and realize that I am doing something to take care of myself. All right, I have to walk the walk. I'm not here on top of a mountain yelling down to you, wagging my finger at you to say do this or do that. I truly, every single day try to do exactly what I tell my patients or friends or any advice that I could give.
Speaker 2: But yesterday, for.
Speaker 3: Instance, on Saturday afternoon, we had some some of our best friends over the house for the weekend, and we cooked and we made pizza, which many of you know I love to do, and we had left over tomato sauce, We had left over tomatoes, we had left over peppers, and I had a.
Speaker 2: Little bit of leftover chicken.
Speaker 3: And so my wife and I were exhausted, and I said, look, you know, A, we're not going to go out to eat b Let's just take it easy. So I took the leftover tomato sauce, the leftover tomatoes, cut up tomatoes, the leftover peppers, a little bit of garlic, and I threw something together. I threw a meal together. So I took the sauce, the other tomatoes, the peppers, some onion, a little bit of chicken, and I cooked a little bit of fresh pasta, just a little bit, not pounds and pounds and pounds, just a little bit, and in all of about twenty minutes, recreated a meal with leftovers. Now I feel very comfortable doing that. I'm not at all intimidated on how I'm going to do it. But it comes with practice, and I read and I get new techniques and new ideas and I incorporate them. So despite all the years that I've been doing this, I am still learning and I'm still playing around in the kitchen. I experiment and that is one thing I would really want to ask all of you to do. Do you feel comfortable experimenting in the kitchen, experimenting making some sort of new food. We have to raise food up to the level. And this has been said before, food as medicine, food as health, food as wellness. With the opposite of that process, food equals chronic disease, artificial Frankenstein. Food equals chronic disease illness, and you're not going to feel good. So what I will be trying to do as the summer rolls around, trying to put more content for all of you, be it through webinars that we're doing YouTube videos on how do you create a very simple meal? And I do know that everybody's pressed for time and you don't want this big, long drawn out cookie. But I think if there's two really two things that you do.
Speaker 2: One is.
Speaker 3: Admit to the fact that what you eat definitely impacts your wellness with regard to your diabetes, your high blood pressure, your kidney disease, your liver disease, cancer risky, skeeterer. So you have to make that leap across the chasm to face the reality and believe that the food we eat, the quality of the food, and it doesn't have to be overly expensive. You can get reasonably priced food. So that's one thing. Realize that food is the pathway, is the gateway to your good health. Number two is that how do you commit yourselves to take interest in the preparation of food, Because preparation of food is not opening a jar or cracking open a can and opening the microwave door and hitting a number. It takes a little bit of time. So if you realize the connection between the food we eat and our health, and the commitment to learn how to make these foods, I think we will all be a whole heck of a lot healthier. All right, That is it for this Sunday. The hour just flies by. I'm doctor Joe Galotti. Don't forget doctor Joegalotti dot com. Lots of information on web page, our newsletter, old podcast episodes or new podcast episodes.
Speaker 2: All of our social.
Speaker 3: Media is there, and of course you could send me a message and stay in touch with us by signing up for our newsletter. Everybody, have a blessed week. Take care, look at the food you're eating and how are you making, and take care.
Speaker 2: We'll see you the