Speaker 1: He'll be gon't be bad. It's the Internet. You're busy. Let's do this for October seventh, twenty twenty four. For the next hour or so, let me help you sort through the world of gaming on Game Mess Mornings Live with Me Jeff Grub. Today, Halo still has a future and metaphor refund Paszio reviews are in, but first please join me and welcoming today's co host to Game Mess Mornings. It's Jan Oh Joah Dan. How are you doing.
Speaker 2: I'm doing great for once Grub All right, Jed, it's a new John.
Speaker 3: It's a new day.
Speaker 1: It's a new day, New John. You were you were down at that Emma Fife's John right.
Speaker 3: Yes, once again.
Speaker 2: Congratulations to Emma's her new husband, Gabe.
Speaker 3: Well done, Yeah, husband Gabe. Lovely wedding. Congratulations. Uh Grub.
Speaker 2: I don't know how much time you've spent talking to Emma's now husband, Gabe, but it's it's very interesting to see two genuinely good people that seem like, oh, y'all just like fit and like that's inspiring and I love that.
Speaker 1: Yes, it was. I've always I've always had that feeling about them, very destined to be together all that stuff they do have, the they match each other's vibes very well.
Speaker 2: I there was a moment where I used the my moisturizers getting in my eyes thing that genuinely does happen to me when I was tearing up a bit.
Speaker 1: During Oh there you go.
Speaker 3: Oh.
Speaker 2: And the best thing is we were near where we were in Los Angeles. We were near a train station or train tracks, and it was Emma's turn to deliver her vat and I was starting to feel a little bit worried. The producer and me was starting to feel worried of like, oh, I really don't want Emma to have to pause during her vow if this train comes by, to like just let the train go, and then she goes to her vows, ends it perfectly. The next second grub the train passes by.
Speaker 1: Incredible, incredible. She knew too, She always she always knows. That's the thinking count I am before. How was the slumber party?
Speaker 2: Uh grab, I don't know how updated you've been on the newest current giant bomb lore. But there there's my Audi or my dear scumbag friend ban Bo Shoa and made an appearance. There was one point where I was like two three am in the morning. I was laying flat still in my suit, writhing around, rolling around Nikky Grayson's floor. Sure, and I think I was. I was yelling about something and Profusie apologizing and Nikki was like, shut up, we're going to get food.
Speaker 3: Give me your face. They grabbed my phone to unlock my phone.
Speaker 2: Then we we have had burgers and Barley Ate tried to eat some chili cheese fries.
Speaker 1: Barley I did bambo choa. Want to feed Barley the chili cheese fries.
Speaker 3: Never I know how much of a struggle for NICKI that'd be.
Speaker 2: Afterwards, there was a oh god, yeah, yeah yeah, there was yeah, yeah, somehow there was like fur net involved an hour before that, and then yeah yeah yeah yeah.
Speaker 3: It was fun times.
Speaker 1: Sounds yeah, it sounds like a good time. But you're back home feeling recharge, ready to.
Speaker 3: Go, absolutely not.
Speaker 2: But a certain video game is reaching it's it's metaphors right inside of me grub.
Speaker 1: Hell yeah, all right, well well let's get to talking about that. But first let's explain what we do here mohsweek days. I Jeff Garb will help piece your gaming life back together. That includes breaking news and maybe even some of our own original reporting. For all these topics, I'll get the input by bona fide expert who will make me look smart. If you were watching live on twitch welcome, you could always listen to the show later on podcast feeds by searching for Game Best Mornings, or find the RSS on giant bomb dot com. You can also catch the show later with chapters and timestamps on YouTube. Hello YouTube. All right, we have a lot to get into, so let's start the morning mess with Metaphor Refundtasio. Reviews. They are in. It is kind of bouncing between ninety one and ninety two on Open Critic. I think it's in that same range for on PlayStation on Metacritic where it has a lot of reviews, and then on PC it's got a handful more. But yes, it's doing very well. Reviews are in, starting here with PC Gamer reviewer Lewis Parker, who gave it a ninety five out of one hundred and says it is a beautiful one hundred long, one hundred hour long journey from beginning to end. Metaphor Refoundasio takes the best elements of Persona five and somehow improves on them. Vgc's Giordaan mid Lure gave it five stars. Metaphor Refundasio could have so easily been Persona with the names filed off, but it's so so much more than that. It matches fun, expansive combat with an excellent cast of characters that make the near one hundred hour journey an unforgettable one. And then Digital Spies Jess Lee gave it three point five stars, says Metaphor borrows defining features of Persona, yet executes these ideas in a less meaningful way, and in taking much from the beloved series, it takes a long time for Atlas's latest to carve out its own identity. Yeah. I think most importantly in the game mess open critic guessing game. I guess ninety two, my guest ninety three. It's at ninety two right now, So I'm gonna get double points for that. That's what really matters here. But I guess you've also been playing this. How are you finding this?
Speaker 2: I do want to mention to folks that I have not completed this because this is, uh, this is an Atlas ass game.
Speaker 1: Yeah it sounds like the full one hundred hours.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, you were going to be in for a ride, but I'm happy to tell you that it it is. You also got to check out the ride that you do get in this game, because it is absolutely wild. Initially I was a little bit worried grub because it is set in that fantasy setting and that's not normally my bag at all, right, but I was I wanted. I was hooked from the jump because this game. If you if y'all thought that Persona was dripping in style and swag goo from the music and to the look, this blows it out of the water, which I thought was an impossible task. And on top of that, this delivers on everything that Atlas is already good at where I agree with Jordan. You could have filed off like the the name Metaphor or Fantasio and would have assumed that this is a Persona, right, and I think it would have one hundred percent fit with that, because it does have the calendar system, the social links system where you do have to kind of negotiate with your days and make sure that they matter, and then your social links. But sure, there are moments in the Persona games where I feel like some of the social links aren't the strongest grub in my time with the game. I've enjoyed every single aspect of it. And for folks that are curious about the story.
Speaker 3: Holy shit. Yeah.
Speaker 2: In the same ways that the Persona series has really challenged, you know, uh, virtually everything, relationships with society, societal relationships, interpersonal relationships, religious concepts, this game is going for it, and for the most part, I think it sticks to landing grub by swinging for the fences and trying to make those gigantic leaps when it is talking about when it is talking about religion and race, and it's talking about self perception as well, and then that relationship of that shared experience just being a living being in the world, and it really really nails that so well.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it seems like when I do kind of glance at some more reviews and was kind of trying to capture a few for the news this morning, and also kind of glanced at a Jessie Now Jessica Cogswell over at GameSpot. She gave it a ten. And one of the the emphasis a lot of people who are making is on excellent storytelling, excellent characters, really good pacing on that side of things is that is that carrying most of the game for you? How how are you also finding the tactics.
Speaker 2: One hundred percent grub like the it It is like a slight twist on Persona five combat system. Like if you were to look at screens of it, you would just assume that the world of Metaphor is a different dungeon in a Persona game, specifically Persona five. And I think it uses the utilizes all of that, uh and and and and still manage manages to pull it off well and make it its own in a certain way. Then that differentiates it enough from Persona and I just love it.
Speaker 3: Grubb it.
Speaker 2: It feels like we are so fucking back with turn based Uh.
Speaker 1: Yeah, they seem to be on top of the genre in a lot of ways. And part of that I think is, you know, Final Fantasy kind of you know, beefing in a tiny bit with its real time action based combat for Final Fantasy sixteen, which I thought was pretty good, but it's not so good that it should be the standard for the genre going forward. Whereas obviously Bouldersgate and this on kind of both sides of that coin, and a lot of the games as well. Clearly clearly crushing it for turn based combat. Yeah. So okay, So if a persona fan is coming into here, what like do you have like a pointer for them to like some tips to like make sure that they can hit the ground running or they just kind of is going to be sort of seamless.
Speaker 2: I think it'll be seamless if you already have experience with I think any story heavy JRPG, I think you'll not maybe not immediately click with it. Sean and Chat is saying that the gameplay itself is not necessarily clicking with him. Don't want to put words in Sean's mouth, but I can perhaps see where Seawan is coming from there. I think, just be mindful and don't put too much pressure on yourself and get the choice paralysis of like which social links to perhaps max out. Just play the game as you would want to play out, and whichever characters are speaking to you in that moment, just explore those relationships as you naturally would. And you know, I know that we live in a world where people are spoiling games left and right, spoiling TV shows left and right, But just take your time with it and really let the messages resonate with you. I know, people joked around that Final Fantasy fifteen was a road trip.
Speaker 3: Game with the boys. Yep, this is definitely that.
Speaker 2: This is let's take a cross country road trip to not only destabilize the country's racist systems, but also let's just see some cool shit with some homies.
Speaker 1: Okay, it's I mean, it sounds very promising. I think a lot of people probably aren't gonna especially with glowing reviews like this. Even people among the Persona fans might have been like, well, you know, I want Persona. I think they'll probably pop in for this now. That's exciting. Yeah, I guess any other big takeaways from the game, any other things that you wish people would know before they hop in.
Speaker 2: I think I appreciate the the CEO Jones on that list when it comes to trying to tell these heavy handed messages because not a lot of people can, not a lot of studios, not a lot of developers.
Speaker 3: It's funny.
Speaker 2: I feel like like indie dev's are very good at tackling very specific messages, and sometimes with Triple A studios it just falls flat and crumbles on the own weight of such a big game. But time and time again, I feel like the people at Atlas do such a good job at handling very serious issues in a way that is palatable and manageable.
Speaker 3: That being said, I do wish.
Speaker 2: Grub because I know that this is such this is gonna be such a time investment. I read Jess's review and she said that she spent eighty hours on this game. Eighty hours is a lot for any Yeah, anyone.
Speaker 1: Honestly, kind of like the scuttle butt when we were all in the review process and I haven't touched the game, but it was like I was thinking about it. I had a code in front of me, and I give it to someone else when I when I heard Jessica say, uh yeah, fifty hours for it to really click for me, I'm like, ah, okay, I'm too busy for that. You all have fun. I bet it's gonna click for most people, but I personally can't spend fifty hours. I bet it's not gonna take fifty hours for most people, but I think it'll take some time and some people might actually end up playing it and it might not click with them. So I've heard I've seen that a couple for a couple of people as well.
Speaker 3: Yeah, so my idea was and get ready to cut the.
Speaker 1: Check please, Okay, here we go.
Speaker 2: I get I understand that we will do a re release of a Persona game like a couple of years down the line, like Persona five Royal. What if instead of that we just have metaphor Refantasio Turbo where we just we just cut some of the.
Speaker 1: Fat speed three minute matches.
Speaker 2: That's it, Like grub, I am dead set that there are a lot of people that would enjoy more of Persona if it was not eighty to one hundred hours.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I mean, I guess when I think of RPG's this day to these days, I do think that they are like eighty hours. That's the number I think of. But it's like I was, you know, I'm kind of like reading old magazines these days, and it's like, oh no, the RPG's back then were you know, the big ones were thirty hours. Those were the massive ones. So uh, clearly, you know, there's always going to be that arms race that causes both sides to you know, all sides everyone in that genre to be like, well, ours even bigger, has even more stuff, and they always feel like I got to have something bigger than their last game, so I get how we get here. I wouldn't hate for them to take all of their stylings, all of their gameplay prowess, and apply it to something that is a turboized version of what they've made before. That'd be cool, all right, quick breaking news, Actually, let me just write the headline in here for you. Alien Isolation sequel confirmed. This comes from Tom Ivan at VGC, who just kind of got the news for us. Sega has announced an Alien Isolation sequel. The game is in early development at Creative Assembly. The announcement on Monday came out to coincide with the tenth anniversary of the original game today. I'm delighted to confirm on behalf of the team that a sequel to Alien Isolation is in early development, said al Hope, almost said Ai Hope. Al Hope, a creative director at developer Creative Assembly. We look forward to sharing more details with you when we're ready, And then the Sega count tweeted, we are so back, So there you go. I think this is a great idea. I think this is one of those games that at the time it reviews a very specific way because the reviewers are like I have to think about this holistically, there is this really great mechanic here of you trapped on a spaceship with an alien and all that stuff is great, and the game is too long and that drags it down. Therefore, this game is a blank and it's whatever number that is lower than maybe they would have given it just based on how good the mechanics are. Now, it's it's really grown an estimation over time, and in a lot of fans eyes it's it's got a cult following. It's only you know, it grows in like players around this time of year every year. I think you take what you learned last time, and you really focus in on what worked and don't feel like you need to make a thirty hour game this time. I think when this game came out ten years ago, there was definitely this real strong need to be like, we need to be able to justify this game being the price it is, and we need to, you know, to take up room on store shelves and all this stuff. So it's got to feel like it has a ton of content. I think people are a little bit more willing these days to be like, if you give us all the gameplay mechanics, we want just make the game until it stops being good then end it. And I think that people be more open to that these days. I'm excited about this, how about you.
Speaker 2: I never checked out the original Alien Isolation, but I do remember seeing like a positive upswell over like the past couple of years, scrub every time that anything Alien related. Yeah, whether it's the movies or the games get talked about of like what if you just did that one again? So yeah, I hope that they take what they learned from the first one and make this one dope.
Speaker 3: Maybe we should play it on the website.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I think that'd be fun. That'd be a good time. Yeah. Alien is one of those franchises has a million games, a million entry, it's million movies now, and it hasn't really lost its appeal for me. Even though I'm not like checking out everything, when something does look good, I'm still there and I'm like, this is such a cool world. They do such a good job with that and this The original game definitely was like, hey, we are going to have the CRTs and all this stuff's just gonna look like Alien and Aliens, and it's I always appreciated that. Do you think that there's a chance that they kind of try to go the alien aliens route here, and it's like, well, maybe more space Marini, more aliens were action y.
Speaker 2: It seems like a lot of people really jived with the fact that you're kind of like a regular, decular person. I think so the original alien isolation and I think adding more of a hoorah space marine vibe to it will kind of shift the tone in a dramatic way.
Speaker 3: So perhaps they maybe you're a baby this time.
Speaker 1: There you go, the most helpless of all. That'd be ideal, but and yet somehow just crawling around in ducks and the aliens can't get to it, just like, yeah, just.
Speaker 3: Put them in the mech suit. Yeah, a little babby there, a little baby mech suit.
Speaker 1: No timeline on that, they said, it's an early development, probably still years away, but cool to get a sign of life from this from this series and see it coming back. It feels like this is one that was well earned. And next up we'll get Randy Pitchford's Space Marine two Colonial Space Marine two. There you go.
Speaker 3: Cool?
Speaker 1: All right? The future of Halo is coming and it includes multiple games. This is from Ethan Gotchi Kotaku. Ever since Mass layoffs at Halo Maker three four three Industries, which it's not called that anymore. Fans have wondered what the future will hold for for the famed sci fi shooter. It turns out Microsoft still has big plans for master Chief, and they involve multiple upcoming projects as well as the franchise making the jump to Epic Games. Is Unreal Engine, the tech that powers Fortnite and a host of other Xbox first party games. Three four three Industries revealed the news during the twenty twenty four Halo World Championship, including that the studio will be called Halo Studios going forward. Instead of continuing to use its current slip Space Engine, which was created from the ground up for Halo Infinite, the franchise will abandon it for Unreal Engine five. An effort called Project Foundry is also currently underway to build a foundation for training and best practices for developing Halo within the new tech. So yeah, those are like the basics here. They say that there's more games coming, uh and and also Halo Infinite. Meanwhile, we'll continue to get updates, but it sounds like it's kind of on the ooh, should we deemphasize this more and more and more, or kind of try to keep it going a little bit longer while we work on this other stuff that is to be determined.
Speaker 3: Uh.
Speaker 1: What really matters here is I think people will see this Jen and uh, you know, I think the jumped conclusion from people who you know, they aren't in the weeds with this stuff, and I think that's completely fair. Mostly the Mike Minauds of the world will be like, oh, they're switching to Unreal Engine because it's uh, they want better graphics. And I'm throwing him under the bus there he knew what he was talking about. When it really why they're switching is Unreal Engine is the most used engine among the Triple Triple A developers, and it makes it easier one to hire people, but two Like, really what it is is the tools are there to just get a lot of content out fast. That was the problem with Slipstream. It made a game that looked pretty. It's it was an engine that even once you got like these people or smart people, they can learn how to use new tools. That's fine. In fact, this project Boundry, what that's saying is we're gonna be building our own tools to use Unreal Engine. So what it really is, how capable are those tools? How malleable are they Can you take them and be like, we have an idea, let's execute on that idea and a reasonable amount of time with a reasonable reasonable amount of money and resources. And the answer for slipstream was clearly over time they could not do that. I think that's why we ended up with the single biome that they had in a Halo Infinite didn't bother me too much of soone playing the game, but clearly they're like, we just got to keep working with the resources we have. Just take that tree and use it one hundred and fifty thousand times throughout this world. So that will solve a lot of the problems I think for the next Halo. Do you feel like this is going to solve enough of the problems?
Speaker 3: I am not one hundred percent sure, Grub, mostly because there are just parts of Halo Infinite Infinite that I did like, just I don't think was able to sustain me in the long run, And maybe that was just due to like the problematic lead up of the game getting delayed and then wondering, okay, when is the game fully out?
Speaker 1: Out?
Speaker 2: Okay, co op isn't here yet, but now it is a couple months later and then just thankfully the multiplayer was never felt like it was a mess.
Speaker 3: Now it was just just a fun It was always fun.
Speaker 2: It just went in waves of popularity, like with like my friend group and even on site we played it a couple of times and we circled back a couple of months later. My hope is with the pivot to Unreal Engine five, that yes, they are able to produce content faster and maybe adapt faster to trends. I just hope that it isn't let's throw everything at the wall approach and see what winds up sticking. Oh, definitely, because ultimately I feel like I don't know if the Halo franchise isn't healthy of a place to sustain itself with that method of of development, right, because sure we could get a couple of Halo games in the next couple of years, but what does that ultimately do to the name Halo that is kind of already I don't want to say damage, but it isn't as popular as it was.
Speaker 1: It's definitely a little wit, right, Yeah, absolutely, yeah, yeah, I think they have to kind of continue to treat the next games as big, huge and important, and and that means yeah, not being too just like you said, throwing stuff at the wall. That's a good point. And I think what they probably should do here is establish this very strong foundation and uh and build something out that like feels like, Okay, this is the next big Halo thing. And then at that point, once it's live, once once you have some some momentum there, then you have the tools and be like, Okay, now we can sort of respond to what the community wants. We can work with them. We can give them, you know, the player the in game foundry where they can make their own stuff and build unreal engine to to be able to handle that. And then once that stuff is popping off, maybe we can take some of those ideas and expand on them very very quickly because now the tools will simplify that process. That's I think it's the hope. And then you know, at that point they can they can try to throw a little bit more at the wall because they have the strong foundation of this is what Halo is. People are happy with it. We can continue telling stories in this world and having cool multiplayer stuff and now and now we're not afraid to try things all that said, it's you know, Halo's problems are they do come down to can they get enough attention? Can they get enough popularity? Can they get people to care about the game? And I think that like clearly with Halo Infinite Multiplayer, I think one of the biggest issues was the lack of content. That seemed to be the thing that everyone pointed to. But I always wonder if it's like that, is that something people say and what they really feel is something deeper and harder to express, And it comes down to maybe they just don't care about Halo the way they once did. And I wonder if those problems will remain while they all of all these other technical and development problems.
Speaker 3: I'm it's it's tough to say grub right because.
Speaker 2: For some people, some of that stink is going to remain no matter how good the gamelinds up being right. Yeah, ultimately across the board, I think Infinite wound up reviewing pretty well.
Speaker 3: But that perception of.
Speaker 2: Grub what what I guess what would you call it if, like Doom and Quake are a boomer shooter and Halo occupies kind of that mental game space for me before like modern Warfare two.
Speaker 1: Master Chief of the Millennium because he came out like right in two thousand, right, so uh, I don't know. Yeah, Boomer Shooter and the boom son of Boomer Shooter, I don't know, Like that's probably none of Boomery son of Boomer.
Speaker 3: It's an yeah, yeah, poor sob.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I think that there will be always be your right. It's like churning back of Oh, I really missed that we've had enough of Fortnite. Let's try something else, you know what. That's maybe that something else should be nostalgic and and Halo could jump back in at that time.
Speaker 2: So we've seen a couple of indie games blow up, battle Bit remastered, Yeah, the battlefield formula. I'm kind of surprised that we haven't seen too many games try and indie games or indie shooter games try and recreate a Halo to some degree. So maybe it's just gonna be the Halo team or the Halo studio moving forward that just tries to recapture that nostalgia and reframes it for a newer audience.
Speaker 3: Yeah, just make go DST again.
Speaker 1: Yeah, did you see the recent update t Halo emfit It where they're they're adding a third person cameras to the to the action.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I don't know if I need that.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I think I was like, that's fine. I think I was a little surprised by like how many people responding to the tweet about it. We're like super excited, like this is the thing that they've been waiting for and Halo and I'm like kind of doing that the Clint Eastwood me like, get off my lawn, like, kids, Yeah, you can't handle first person. Come on, what's wrong with you? It looks cool though, it does look cool. Yeah, yeah, well maybe we could check that. I still like Halo Infinite. Maybe the most exciting part for me of all this news is this means that we can get to the point where people are no longer like judging Halo Infinite on how much it is, you know, hitting their pleasure receptors in that moment, and they could just assess it as was it fun to play, and we're gonna be in the Halo Infinite was good zone here very quickly. I think, so looking forward to that as someone who's always enjoyed that game and would love to play it at any time. Halo Infinite just a fun, good, solid multiplayer game.
Speaker 2: I think they should definitely try and push the marketing again and just have like another relaunch style thing where just reminding folks like, hey, this game's around and it's good, check it out. We don't just buy bags of doritos and you'll be better at the game than everyone else.
Speaker 3: My grub.
Speaker 2: My other speculation is, with the switch to Unreal Engine five, do you think Halo is going to join the rest of modern day first person shooters multiplayer first person shooters and have skins and guest characters.
Speaker 1: They'll definitely have, you know, the skins, clearly, yes they will, but like guest characters, I don't know. I feel like what this might open them up to is make it a little bit easier to borrow characters from other Microsoft games. Like if the guy some Gears of War showed up in the Halo multiplayer thing, I feel like that wouldn't be too out of place or too strange. I guess the way that they started moving around floaty that would look weird. I don't know, it's hard. Yeah, because you add in Harrison Ford is Indiana Jones. Can he just go running around and jump like and looking like that. It looks weird, so I think I think it'd be difficult to pull off. But but who knows. Maybe they could try a bunch of different modes where it makes more sense, so or something along those lines. I think they probably just try to play around in here's a skin for your master Chief character.
Speaker 3: Here's Optimus Prime in Halo.
Speaker 1: Okay, well that would be cool. He's aren'ty already locked down to Overwatch? Well one of those games got Transformers Watch? Come on, I don't know anymore. You know. That does speak to a point though, that this is now the latest Microsoft studio to fully embrace Unreal Engine, just like many of the other studios have. Clearly the the the the Gears of War team, not the initiative. I can't ever remember the name of it. They they they are masters of unreal Engine. They've been working with that for a very long time. Uh. And they are like the Coalition, thank you, CHET, and they like are such experts that they like come in and help other teams work on unreal Engine. Now they could do that and help out the Halo team, and all these teams can work together to build these best practices. As they're talking about undead labs, I think, use this unreal engine. There's a whole bunch of that now at Microsoft, it makes sense long term because they have all this expertise, and now that expertise can't like I think, you know, the Coalition did help on Halo to a certain extent, but they would have been able to do a lot more if it was an unreal engine, and now they're going to be able to execute on that.
Speaker 2: Speaking about long term for Halo as a franchise moving forward and Halo Infinite, do you think we might actually see a Halo game come out on the PS five as well as an Xbox and PC. Maybe not at launch, but maybe like a couple months down the line over time.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I mean probably probably it's uh, you know, maybe not the next one, but in like ten years, what is any of these we're already of these boxs is going to be that It's just the audience that they're going to be aiming for with these games is going to be so big and so much bigger than just any one console that I just don't think that they are even like they've emphasized the importance of the consoles today and it doesn't seem like that decision is going to get revert reversed. It's only getting They're only more and more leaning in that direction. So eventually they have leaned so far that it would be weird if Halo wasn't released on everything. Now we're not there yet, but I feel like I feel like they are walking in that direction and steadily we'll get to that point. And that point could come before the next Halo game.
Speaker 3: We'll see all right, Yeah, one last thing, please God.
Speaker 2: It feels so weird that we could potentially in two three years time have a mobile Halo game that, yeah, that could pop off in a way that cod Mobile has.
Speaker 1: Right, And I do wonder about that too, with like a you know, Unreal Engine very malleable for you can. I remember early on with Unreal Engine for one of the big things, it's like, hey, we developed this game and it's on PC and it looks really great, but we could scale it down and run on switch because they were kind of thinking, we want to have something that could be scaled all the way down to mobile. And then those games, those games started appearing on mobile. Unreal Engined five carries forth a lot of that stuff, and so it is an engine that you could very easily take the game you're making for PC and for console and scale it down and put it on phones and it wouldn't like and like scale it down enough so that you're not like destroying the battery and all that stuff. I do wonder if they do that, or do they do what the Call of Duty did and build the bespoke mobile version. That's probably still the move, right, but they could they could do.
Speaker 2: This, yeah, if you create I feel like the problem with trying to poort a triple A game onto a phone is that that is not the experience that people are used to on a phone. They just want to play a quick round of something, and you already have people in that hamster wheel with cod mobile.
Speaker 3: I would say, just try it.
Speaker 2: You could definitely adapt Halo to fit that, I don't want to say weird but specific live service game mobile format yep.
Speaker 1: Future of Halo very I'm still very curious about it. They have had a lot of turnover there, I mean, the Infinite Its failures definitely caused Microsoft to look at that studio and I think they basically basically fired a lot of the leadership there. I know a lot of the leadership left and and you know, we're caught up in various layoffs, but most of the leadership were just like, hey, please, you're done, you can resign, get out of here, and that means there should be a fresh new crop in there kind of overseeing things going forward. This is their chance to really sort of write the ship, because you know, for as much as people love Halo and the reason and then as far as it's fallen, it does feel like it's fallen due to missteps more than anything else. For as much as it's easy to be like, well, maybe people don't like those games anymore, I think the biggest problems have been that people didn't love four's a multiplayer, and they didn't love five's story. I camera one or the other might be might be mixing that up. And then Infinite Yeah, and then Infinite was like a lot of this stuff is good, give us more of it, and they're like, well, we can't. This is it would take too long to make more of this game, and that now here we are. So I think if they can address those problems first and then just put out a good Halo, the rest of it might take care of itself in terms of getting people to care about this character. Again.
Speaker 3: Part of me now thinks that maybe they made the switch to have it be called Halo Infinite versus another proper Halo numbered title, just to avoid the stink that had developed from four and five.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Yeah, And do you know what, Grub, I played an obscene amount of Halo three on the Xbox three sixty yep, and that muscle memory is stored inside of me, and the couple times that we've played Halo Infinite on this website, it has come out and now we kind of got the itch again.
Speaker 3: Grub, thanks a lot.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Well, hey, I'm always look forward to playing some Infidite. Let's do it. We can play some master Chief collection too, It would be fun.
Speaker 3: Uh.
Speaker 1: Okay, let's see here. Let's take a break. Let's take a break when we come back. Is Saudia Arabia taking over Nintendo? We'll talk about it right after this. All right, we're back, let's hit this. Saudi Arabia is considering a larger steak in Nintendo. This is from Jordan Miller at BGC. Saudi Arabia's sovereign wealth fund is considering a move to increase its stake in Nintendo. That's according to a new interview in which the firm discussed that the Saudi Arabia Public Investment funds the PIFF plans for growth. Prince faizel Bin Ban Dauer Bin Sultan al Saud, the group's vice chairs, set in an interview with Kyoto Kyodo News that's with a d out of t that there are always opportunities for further investment investment. It's important to keep the communication going so you get there in the right way. He said, we don't want to rush into anything.
Speaker 2: Uh.
Speaker 1: They have an eight point five percent in a stake in Nintendo right now that that has grown over time, and they're thinking about growing some more in buying more Nintendo. Now. This has caused a lot of people to be like, what's going on here? Are they going to like try to take over the board of directors and stuff like that? And I would probably hesitate towards worrying about that too much. Clearly, Hey, Saudi Arabia a lot of problems. They killed a journalist. That's that's just a bad country. And with leadership that is directly responsible for that. It's a publicly traded company, Nintendo, you can't stop them from from investing as far as I'm aware, it would be very difficult. In fact, Nintendo didn't know about like most of these investments from Saudi Arabia until it happened was in the news, because that's just how public training works. Like those shares are out there, they went out and bought it from someone else. Nintendo wasn't involved in the transaction at all, But eight point five percent is a lot, and if they do buy more, it would like be something that they would have to communicate. Well, it wouldn't have to, but they've said themselves like we would communicate to let them know and let them know what we're trying to do here. The point of investing, for the most part is to make money from other people's work, and that's not going to be not true of Saudi Arabia. What they're doing here is they see an opportunity to invest in the video game space. Of obviously they own all of U SNK, they invested in a ton of other video game companies, but they see clearly Nintendo has a chance to grow, especially with switch to coming out, and they want to make money from that just like anything else, and be well positioned to leverage that stuff in the future as they try to do more with games in Saudi Arabia, they're trying to diversified their economy very much, you know, I guess get gas station in the world that right now, they're trying to be more than that. But that does not mean like buying Nintendo and transplant in it, transplant into Saudi Arabia or something like that.
Speaker 2: Right right, I definitely hope not. God that is so, I guess I've never thought about it that way, Grub. But where a public, publicly traded company is just so public that even the people internally at said company, yeah, aren't in control despite the company being theirs.
Speaker 1: Wow, yep, I mean those those shares are just they belong to someone else. So yeah, and if some epison wants to sell it to Saudi Arabia, they don't have to tell you and then they know and they don't have to loop you in in any way.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's weird.
Speaker 3: It's uh.
Speaker 2: The further this goes along, it's going to be an interesting road to navigate, you know, using your wallet to vote in a sense, right Grub of who you choose to support, and that being already very calm implicated to navigate, but that being especially challenging to perhaps navigate as Saudis share in Nintendo continues to grow. Yes, they are definitely trying to diversify not only the public perception of them, but.
Speaker 3: You know, they're not doing a great job.
Speaker 2: But also just in the terms of industry they're trying to enter. Perhaps they were trying to create a competitive Jengle league. They tried to draft me.
Speaker 1: And maybe maybe they're out there trying to get that jam for their for their for the Jingle League of the j L. Yeah. I think that Saudi Arabia is not going to be going away in video games or a lot of these a lot of these up marketplaces that they keep getting involved in. Uh, And what can you do about it? I mean, I don't know. At a certain point, for as vile as the government has been, I'd kind of like take their money, just take their money away from them and go use it for something good. I guess.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's mentality that I have too, of like all right, just give us your money and we're gonna keep doing our thing that you know.
Speaker 3: Disrupts your perception of yourself.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, because I mean it's not you know, if you don't take it, someone else will. I don't know. Saudi Arabia's never offered me any money. I don't know. I wouldn't like want to be like seen cheerleading in that country. Uh, I'm not I'm listening. I don only speak for myself. I can't say that same sentence. Yeah. I think in a situation like this, where it's like it's publicly trade in, they're just like investing in your company. Yeah, you kind of can't stop that. But I it's like they show up your door with a with a check. It's a little bit stranger. So I don't know, but I think the bottom line here is people worried about like the video game industry at at large and Nintendo specifically, not nothing's gonna relate change here. It doesn't seem like it's gonna change. I don't I doubt even that Saudi Arabia would want a place on Nintendo's board they could demand it. Though they could demand it, it just seems like that to what end they want the money. They don't like necessarily want to control what Nintendo's outputting. I think they do want to have some influence in that industry, but they are able to get that with said money. So I don't think much would change here.
Speaker 2: Yeah, unless they demand that Nintendo comes to Saudi, the Kingdom of Saudi Arabia three four times throughout the year it makes a game specifically for the crown prints right.
Speaker 1: Exactly, and who knows that could happen. Yes, that's right, grub has heat with the Saudis there you go? Cool?
Speaker 2: Uh?
Speaker 3: All right?
Speaker 1: Moving on here. Ubisoft response to rumors about an acquisition from ten Cent. Meanwhile, it's the other one that's always investing in video games. This is from Javier Escorbano at Game Reactor. Following last week's rumors about a potential acquisition of Ubisoft by ten Cent, a spokesperson from Ubisoft has tried to slow speculate by claiming the company is reviewing all of its strategic options but remaining focused on its strategy. Ubisoft has noted recent press speculation regarding potential interest around the company. Ubisoft said to BGC it regularly regularly reviews all its strategic options in the interest of stakeholders and will inform the market if and when appropriate. Ubisoft also reiterates the management is currently focused on executing its strategy centered on two core verticals, open world adventures and games as a service in native experiences. That's got to be thrilling to investors and just kind of oh, the same thing as always. Huh. Yeah. The thing here is like tencent does seem to be like one of the only options that Ubisoft might have if and by Ubisoft I mean the Gimel family, Yeves Gamo, if he wants to stay in charge, because the publishers in a bad way, they are kind of one more bad game, one more bad launch away from being to be in free fall in terms of the stock price, and if that happens, even with all the Gemos on the board of directors, it could be very challenging for them to stand in the way of a bunch of people are saying, hey, we should consider some other options, like maybe letting Vivindi come back here and take over or something along those lines. If if the Gimo family wants to have control over what happens next, it might require them to partner up with a handful of companies that out there that could actually have actually could make that happen. And really the only option on the table seems to be ten cents, So I get that they're saying that, hey, we're considering everything. I don't know what else think. I mean, I've heard in the best I've said like maybe they went to go talk to like EA or something and said, hey, we should team up, and I was like, what the fuck are you talking about? No way. So I just don't know who else would be willing to buy. You'd be soft and take on tens of thousands of people on payroll. It would be very.
Speaker 3: Awkward, incredibly awkward. And also.
Speaker 2: Knowing that the Gaumont family still wants to be on that board and have a gigantic say, I don't necessarily know that if getting acquired by ten Cent is gonna fix the ship at all. It's just gonna be like patching the hole in the boat that is already slowly sinking grub, you know, instead of like repairing the hole and getting rid of the rotting wood, We're just gonna let that rot spread with more money.
Speaker 1: Now. Yeah, it's it seems right like this is not going to actually solve much. But I think that's a good point because that's the perspective that we're actually talking about here. Again, it's like the Gemos don't necessarily not necessarily thinking about the future of Ubisoft. They are thinking about the future of their power within that infrastructure. And yeah, I think they could team up with ten Cent and be like, Okay, we get some of your money and we'll do the work to control the company and you fund it and we'll take it private again and private between Tencent and ourselves. But then the the goal then would be to take it public again one day, I would imagine, And it's it's it just seems very rocky in terms of a pathboard for the company. But that's where they are. They've they've they've been in this situation a bunch of times, have sort of skated by and been able to dodge some bullets, and feels like that luck has run out and the the final destination of where this company was always headed is finally about to take it.
Speaker 2: It just feels like such a bummer grub because I, due to your recommendation, I have spent a little bit more time in Star Wars Outlaws and it is starting to grab me. I think I am finally turning on it in a positive way, and it just thinks that it feels like you be soft is hanging the game out to dry, despite you know, the game being continually worked on and developers promising like, hey, we're going to make this game even better than it already is. It just feels like you be soft as the publisher and the company is just like blaming it for all of the problems that have been building up, not just this year, but over the past couple of years. Yeah, remember Stolen Bones came out?
Speaker 1: No, I don't. Actually, yeah, that's that's wild. I think that it's indicative of like all the problems we've heard that Assassin's Cruise shadows. One of the big reasons it was delayed is all the people working on it were being like, hey, we should delay this, and you know, the same thing was true of Star Wars Outlaws, but they probably got to a point where, like they knew, they weren't going to be able to get to ask for another delay, so they did the best they could with that game, and as we're seeing it continue to get updates and get very significant changes to the quality of that game. With some of these updates, it's like in a matter of months they were able to make something that feels much better already. Had it had another year, it probably would have been in a much better place now. Ubisoft hasn't done that recently, even though they kept saying that they would, you know, really avoid ever being in the situation again after previous examples of them beefing it with by leasing games too early or underbaked, and they kind of it seems like they can't help themselves because they're just too big, too massive, too expensive. They can't go several quarters in a row without one of these big games releasing, and that seems like a problem, and that that problem seems unsolved as well.
Speaker 3: Do you think the problem Grub is that no one wants to dance anymore?
Speaker 1: No one wants to just dance. That Just Dance game is still coming out this holiday, right, there's a new one.
Speaker 3: Like Clockwork Grub every single year. Yep, every single platform.
Speaker 1: Yep. It'll be on everything except for PC, like always PC. You could just like watch the YouTube videos and pretend like that's what I h Yeah, yeah.
Speaker 2: That's It's surprising that the audience that buys Just Dance has not glommed onto that fast, right.
Speaker 1: A lot of the kids have They're like, I'll just watch the YouTube video and dance to this. This is great. Uh. And then the score is always like from someone doing it perfect, so you can pretend you did it perfect. It's wonderful.
Speaker 3: Uh.
Speaker 1: All right, let's keep moving here. Assassins Creed Black Flag remake is closer than you think.
Speaker 3: Oh.
Speaker 1: This is from Insider Gaming. We first got when of an Assassin's Creed Black Flag remake earlier this year, and informission sent to Insider Gaming suggests that the game could actually be coming sooner than you might think. When rumors of the Assassin's Creed Black Flag remake began to circulate on the Internet, many including ourselves, assumed that the game would be would still be some years away from releasing. However, new details and documentation on the game sent to Insider Gaming under the condition that it does not go public, so just that the game is well into development and could be released much sooner than we all thought. The timeline here apparently is it could come holiday of twenty twenty five, around November twenty twenty five.
Speaker 2: Uh.
Speaker 1: Now, I've not played Assassins Creed Black Flag since, you know, the year it came out, but my memory of that game is that's, you know, one of the first Xbox One and PlayStation four games, and it probably feels like it's still and there was like zero zero problems, like in terms of that game needs to be remade now. Maybe it's more data than I'm remembering, but I doubt it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I think that game probably still plays completely fine, grub. Yeah, I think a lot of well, you know, Sony would beg to differ, but a lot of games released on the PS.
Speaker 3: Four are still pretty good today, yep, grub.
Speaker 2: I hope that people listening have never found themselves in a toxic relationship where you know, we've clearly addressed a potential pain point in said relationship and then your significant other continues to be aware and cognizant of said issue, but continues to just do the thing that has been identified as a problem. And I feel like we can all agree that the Internet is not saying, in yelling, stop making Assassin's Creed games, but maybe slow down.
Speaker 1: Maybe slow Well, what this sounds like is they are speeding up because this comes out November twenty twenty five, apparently allegedly, and so does Assassin's Creed Invictus, I think is which is the multiplayer, multiplayer focused one I guess, so there'll be two Assassin's Creed games next year, and then immediately after that. I guess that the hex one, the Holy Roman Empire one it takes place in like the German Germanic region, that would probably come in twenty twenty six. And at that point, you know, if Invictus works, they'll be updating that as well. All alongside that, they and they've told us they have a lot of Assassin's Creed projects. Some of them are TV and movies, not like most of them are. Most of them are games. And the number that they keep throwing around is something north of ten, eleven, twelve, something like that, more and maybe more than that. Uh So there's a lot of Assassin's Creed coming, and uh, I don't know. It also feels like that is just speeding towards a brick wall of if you have one more another like unity situation, all that blows up in your face, and then you're talking to us again about how, oh, we're going to delay all those projects until we can get this right, just like you've done three times already, Greb.
Speaker 2: I forget what it's called when you start offering civilians in Assassin's Creed. And then is it destabilizing or desynchronizing desynchronizing yes, yeah, yeah, oh boy. I feel like the world has been yelling at Ubisoft like you're desynchronizing from the rest of us, and what we actually want fucking stop.
Speaker 1: Really, I've been thinking about it that now it's like a euphemism going on a decenchronization spree.
Speaker 3: That's the kind of boy, it's so bad, it's good.
Speaker 2: Okay, we're gonna take out un Alive from the vernacular.
Speaker 3: Thank you.
Speaker 1: De sink is in. Unlive is out? Everybody there you go, oh boy, uh yeah, hey, I don't need this, but I get why these companies do this. Assassin's Creed Black Flag probably the like the one that if you were to go ask fans, what's the one you like most want to play again? I guess it would be this. I think, you know. Assassin's Creed two also is one that I think a lot of people out with are very fond of. I prefer Brotherhood, but I think a lot of I think a lot more people played too or something like that. So getting to a point where it's like you are now supplementing your Assassin's Creed releases with some of these remakes and release re releases. It makes some sense, but it's just like for so many of many of them, they've repackaged and re released them already a couple of years ago. So that means this next remake will have to be something much bigger. And I guess I don't know. Maybe for a game from Xbox One, it's not that much work to make it feel like a remake. But I think that also speaks to how much demand is there going to actually be for this. And we're seeing Until Dawn, you know, not not a similar kind of game, but from the similar generation, and that game is getting just got released as a remake or remaster and it's on a PC and no one's playing it, no one, no one seems to care. So I think it's very easy to mess these up, or to put a lot of work into it and people being like, well, no, we don't want to replay that, we already bought it.
Speaker 2: I like, I've actually, now that I think about a grub, I've seen people streaming Assassin's Creed Black Flag on on TikTok of all places, and game surprisingly steel completely fine. Oh yeah, it's fine, And we're already in that position Grub where it feels a little silly to remaster a game that came out only five or so years ago, or whenever Black Flag came out, at least on the PS four console generation, because again, for a lot of people, a lot of people still haven't upgraded to newer consoles, so the PS four base experience is still their day to day and it is completely fine. Oh oh lordie, Grub. I feel for the people internally at Ubisoft me too.
Speaker 1: Well, you know, we'll see what they say that maybe this thing is mixed up or something we'll hear or maybe they present they'll be like, oh, okay, I get why they're remaking it. There's a chance for all that wait and see. Real quick here, let's just hit some of these highlights real quick. Monoliths Soft is busy developing its in house engine, building on Zeno Blade engine for future games. You're a Zeno boy, right, You're happy to hear this, Hey, reinvest in that technology, make more of your stuff, like because they also are partly responsible for like the world in the Zelda games with all their technologies. So yeah, that sounds good to me too.
Speaker 2: Grubs as a someone that really really really loves Eno Blade Chronicles three.
Speaker 3: Give me more debt, Give me more flutes.
Speaker 1: More flutes. There you go, you heard them. Uh, the Nintendo switch mod chip Maker is going to fight Nintendo without a lawyer, apparently.
Speaker 3: Because it's Joker too.
Speaker 1: Hits Joker so well. I don't know, but there might be more singing and that's who knows. We'll have to wait to seem. Yeah, that's not that's a bad idea, but that apparently they're like, there's had a bunch of counts Nintendo, and they went through and like deny, deny, deny, and they still haven't got a lawyer. So uh, it sounds like they might try to go to court and fight Nintendo themselves. Good luck. I hope, I hope you. I hope they don't kill you. It's Nintendo and then yes, Until Down is one of the worst Sony releases on Steam in terms of players. It just feels like the game is not like, oh, that's an assessment of its quality. It's just like maybe people aren't even aware of this is happening, or like, didn't it wasn't already out, No, it's on PC now. It just feels it's missing some zeitgeist thing. I don't know.
Speaker 2: I think so, And it feels especially unfortunate because we are in the spooky season where yeah, maybe it'll pick up, maybe it'll pick up. I think there's also the perception, Grub, similar to the problems that Black Black Flag Remaster could have of like, isn't this already here? Don't I already have this?
Speaker 1: Yeah? I think that's probably a big part of it, you know, in that until Dawn movie just finish? Should finish film? Mean that one? Maybe when that comes out, this will pop up again. That could be fun. All right, poll question, let's do that real quick. I have the results here from last week. What do you prefer single player games or multiplayer games? Seven percent say they prefer multiplayer games and ninety three percent say they prefer single player games. That's on four thousand votes, and I think that's you know, obviously going to be the kind of audience we get on our stuff, without a doubt. It makes a lot of sense.
Speaker 3: That's astounding, though, Grub.
Speaker 1: I think it's yeah, I you know, I think multiplayer Listen, if you look at that way, you know, people spend money on games, multiplayer games make more, they just do. And then uh, and then when they were like when you were just looking at how many copies they would sell for years there they would sell way better than single player games. I think they are just more popular with a wider, more casual audience, and then single player games are a bit, just a tiny bit more niche, that's all, but that audience shows up for shows like this, uh, and clearly they do ninety three to seven percent.
Speaker 2: I am curious to see how many folks that are like big in a Final Fantasy fourteen and like that is an MMO that you can totally play solo dolo I've heard. I wonder if that blurs the lines for some players. I think it does, And I.
Speaker 1: Think I think, well, you know, when you say, hey, I for for single player games, you're probably also playing multiplayer games. It's just like, no, if I had to choose, I'll choose single player games now. I do wonder if if companies like feel sentiment and are like are like, hey, can we get back to investing more in single player games, or they're like looking at underlying data, or they're looking at some notable flops recently and being like, actually, this might might be dangerous to go this path because at least multiplayer games. Maybe it's actually a little bit less expensive to make it. Now these days it seems like it's just as expensive as anything else, like look at Concord. But maybe it's a little bit less expensive because don't have to build out this whole massive campaign. You can have a few maps, a bunch of characters, and then build on it from there and then if if it works, the ceiling board is astronomical when we can make more money than ever. So I think that's why they continue to lean towards multiplayer games. But clearly the single player game not going away, just like always. No, okay, new poll question. We'll get to that here in a second. First jam, what do we have happening on the website? What should people know about our week?
Speaker 2: We're going to go and decide what's happening this week immediately right after this Jeff grub. But I can tell folks at home to look forward two chef reactions on voicemail, dump truck and Yeah, we will definitely try and line up together a BCR that is metaphor refantasio centric. Uh, we'll get that focused focused up. Well, we'll develop a roster, go on a road trip to podcast. It's not divorce week everyone.
Speaker 1: It's not. No, no, it's not divorce week. It's it's spooky season. It's it's ah October. So we'll do uh, we'll do play some scare games here and there. We do. We do want to play until dawn. I just I'm gonna go to that baseball game with Mike. Actually, you got his tickets, so that's at four pm. So I'm not gonna be able to play until dawn today. But maybe we'll start it on Wednesday and try to finish it another day. Uh, but yeah, grubbed by goolies, I'll do that. Yeah. I want to play a variety of like actual scare games and then spooky fun.
Speaker 3: Games Alien Isolate.
Speaker 1: Jan Okay, yeah, I would like that a lot. That would be very good. Yeah, or Sean says, but what if we play without you? Yes, that'd be great too. If you guys want to do that.
Speaker 2: Absolutely, have you played until don though, I'm not see that's part of the kicker is I want to see you.
Speaker 1: Yeah, but what if it's until Sean?
Speaker 3: No, no, no, that's Dave. Sean.
Speaker 1: Okay, you're right, you're right. Excuse me, I shouldn't overstep it. You're right, we gotta get him on day.
Speaker 2: Sean first throw Shawn's name into titles for shows and Sean is not allowed on the action.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I love it, perfect, wonderful. Hey, I can I can watch me and Michael just gonna go get lunch downtown near this, near the park, and I'll I could give my answers in chat about what we should do. We'll see you guys could decide I'm down for anything. Anything else, Jan that we should say. Yeah, like you mentioned, we'll have chef reactions. Get your calls in now, everybody, make that happen. Seven o seven exit flu all right, newpole question, what or do you want an Assassin's Creed Black Flag remake? Yes or no? Go ahead and give your response to that. That'll be up on YouTube dot com slash at Giant Bomb under the community tab. You can vote there. We'll get the results. We'll discuss it on the show on Wednesday, Tomorrow's the BombCast. Tune in for that. It'll be a great time as always. Other than that, Jan, I think we should get out of here.
Speaker 3: Man, Let's go and get out here. We got a meeting, got.
Speaker 1: A meeting, Jen, Thank you so much for hanging out with me today and talking about video games.
Speaker 3: I really appreciate it. That's my favorite way to start a Thursday.
Speaker 1: And thank you all for listening and watching. You're the best audience in gaming. Until next time, have a good one, take care of yourself. Goodbye. Wow