Speaker 1: Howdy Garry Jeff Walter back on this Monday night at President's Day, and at the top of tonight's show, the question is are you a pet person or not? You got a doggie or a kiddy that you're just enamored with and feel like your life wouldn't be complete without that other living creature sharing your domicile. Some people are pet people, some people are not. I, for one, have always been a pet person, and I wasn't really a cat person growing up. We always had dogs when I was a kid. I think there was Potzi the cocker Spaniel when we lived in South Carolina. We moved to Illinois and I had Fluffy and prints into Tennessee. And then when I got out in the world on my own, I started dating girls or in a couple of cases, married some women who happened to have cats. They loved cats, so I learned to love cats over there, so at least some cats, but most recently, and you may have heard this earlier on a show that I was on for Scott Sloan on Friday, when I found out in the middle of the show that my beloved cat dog and I'll explain in a minute, Brooksy had suddenly passed away, hadn't been sick or anything like that, and it just was such a shock. So the weekend was a time to ponder and reflect on the great memories that my wife christ to two point zero and I had with Brooksy the cat dog. Why was Brooksy a cat dog? Well, when we got him from the Kenton County County Amino Boy, it's easy for me to say Kenton County Animal Shelter, and he was just about eight weeks old. We vowed that we would keep him inside the house, but we liked to spend some time, especially when the weather's warm, out of the front porch and sit and listen to music, and we wanted him to be able to enjoy that. So when he was about three months old, we'd had him for about a month, I bought a harness at a pet store and just tried it on him. And of course cats, you know how cats are with things around their body. You tie a sock around a cat's body, it'll just fall over or be completely paralyzed. And it took a couple of times putting the harness on Brooksy, but eventually he got used to it and he could walk around with it and didn't mine. So I got a run a little line tied to the porch and a leash, and I'd put on Brooksy's harness, and I said, you want to go outside, and his eyesould get real wide and open, and I'd take him out. Sometimes we went out with him. Other times he was just out on his own and enjoined the great outdoors. Brooksy protected that yard. It was his yard. When he was out there, he could only go to the sidewalk and no further. Couldn't get to the road, thank god. He only weaseled his way out of the harness a couple of times. But anyway, and if a dog or another cat, god forbid, came into one blade of grass into Brooksy's yard, he was right there, claws out, ready to attack. There were a couple of dogs that came with bloody noses, and we apologized to the owners, but you know, their dog was in Brooksy's yard. It wasn't like the cat was going out looking for trouble. Just don't come in my yard. He followed us around like a puppy dog. I mean, everywhere we went. If the cat wasn't asleep, he was right on our heels. Sometimes underfoot and sometimes that got him stepped on. Sometimes it tripped us up. But he just had to be with us. We couldn't go to the bathroom alone. This cat was like Velcrow. And then he played fetch. I've got video of him playing fetch and me walking him on his leash out on the sidewalk because occasionally I do that. But Brooksy was unlike any other cat or animal I've ever been around, just for affection and for I don't know, adherence to a lifestyle that we all shared. And if you've had a pet like that, you know exactly what I'm talking about. If you haven't, one time in your life, try it, you might like it. I got a friend Doug Monson and Ripley who always refers to his wife's aging dog, Bella as the damn dog. Some people are like that, I get it, but not me and Chris to two point zero. It was such a shock because, as I said, Brooksy or Garth Brooks his official name, that's what I named him when we got him from the animal shelter, Garth Brooks was just his own unique being. And we all are as God's creations. We're all individual creations. No two are exactly alike, but Brooksy was very special. Finally getting over the fog of the grief. It just happened this past Friday, And thank you to everyone who heard me in real time as I'm finding out about this and totally losing it on the air the last part of Scott's Loan Show last Friday. Thank you so much for the officer of support and prayers and condolences for what was for us a great loss. God has a plan, we don't always know what that is, and I'm sure that Brooksy will help us, along with God's help, to pick out another little furry beast to bring home and maybe I can train him to be just like the cat dog. Maybe not, but Brooksy is one of a kind and he's now joined our other deceased cat friend, Hobbes, who Christa had for fifteen years, in the sideyard, resting comfortably. I hope and pray. But if you're a pet person, if you're a cat person, if you're a dog person, Brooksy was a little bit of both, and we're going to miss him so much. With that said, on with the show. It's the Nightcap and it's President's Day. I'm Gary Jeff Walker, seven hundred WLW Whitson, who was sacrificing a few minutes of his vacation at Cumberland, which I imagine is kind of soggy to talk with us about the Saturday Night Live fifty anniversary special last night, which I also watched and also mainly enjoyed. I got a little annoyed with some of the stuff, but overall it was a very good presentation. I thought of blending all of the heritage and the wonderfulness of the early days of Saturday Night Live and through the years with the new cast and reintroducing some of the stars that we remember from years past on Saturday Night Live, the television show. It's not been one of my favorite shows for probably fifteen twenty years, but in the beginning in nineteen seventy five, many people my age really glommed onto it as a kind of a mainstay of comedy on TV, something that wasn't there before Saturday Night Live, before SNL, and it was nice to see a lot of those people brought back. But Rick was watching two and I guess caught up with some DVR stuff today that he'd missed last night. I watched the entire thing that was almost three and a half hours. But it's it's hard for me to sit and look at anything for three and a half hours. But I didn't have really much of a choice because my brain was locked in on watching this special Rick Robinson, Good afternoon or good evening, and tell me how are you doing right now? Are you at Cumberland? Are you out of the flood zone.
Speaker 2: I am out of the flood zone, but I am looking out.
Speaker 3: At a river that is telling me it does not want to be fished.
Speaker 2: So yeah, a little cold, little blown out. So we're going to be doing a little bit of work around the property here for my brother in law and then go on to that. Hey, last night, I got to tell you last night. They had me from the very beginning.
Speaker 4: Yeah, because when they had.
Speaker 2: The Old and the New singing Homeward Bound. I mean that was such a part of the early show. The music, I mean, on the on the first couple of episodes, it was more music than it was comedy and sketches.
Speaker 4: Oh, I remember, they went out and did these things. They did all this stuff.
Speaker 2: And so for Paul Simon to come in, you know, death in one to hear can barely hear out of the other come in with a new performer. It brought tears to my eyes, Garry Jeff It really did. Their version of Homework Bound, you know, was just a matter of such grace, such beauty Simon, Paul Simon looking.
Speaker 3: Over at her knowing that he couldn't hit her notes.
Speaker 2: Anymore, and her coming back down in the sound instead of going up.
Speaker 4: It was. It was brilliant.
Speaker 2: It was one of the best productions of that song I've ever heard.
Speaker 3: No.
Speaker 1: Sabrina Carpenter with Paul Simon was a perfect marriage. And you can see why she was so lauded at the just completed Grammy Awards. And I'll tell you something else, another musical performance that it's something I normally would not enjoy because I don't like hip hop rap. I enjoyed Lil Wayne and the Roots. And it was because it reminded me so much of the avant garde and the different kind of musical acts that Saturday Night Live would feature over the years, from Patty smythe to you name it. You know what I mean, Yeah, it was.
Speaker 2: I mean, you got to remember back in the early days, they brought on people like the POGs. They brought on people like Elvis Costello when nobody knew who the hell Elvis Costello was, right, I agree, So it was just this coming back and listening to that, and again I think the opening song and the opening monologue they had me. They had me for the three and a half hours. Well actually you didn't because I got tired of went.
Speaker 4: To bed, but I caught it up today. So on the rest of them.
Speaker 2: The only thing that I would have done as a writer was at the end. If you remember when we were first watching Saturday Night, they offered for reunion a couple thousand bucks.
Speaker 4: It's the Beatles would reunite on the show.
Speaker 2: How mariem would it have been that the last song when Paul McCartney finished, Lauren michaels, you know if you would have had Ringo on drubms and Lauren came up and gave him the check.
Speaker 4: Oh fifty years ago.
Speaker 1: It was it was a million dollars. It was a million dollars, uh for all for I thought it was. I thought it was a million bucks. Maybe not.
Speaker 4: I thought I thought it was a nominal number.
Speaker 2: And the line was you could make your own decision whether or not.
Speaker 4: You share any with Ringo that's up to you.
Speaker 1: I remember that part that was nineteen seventy six, that that offering was.
Speaker 2: Seventy six, That was, you know, and it was it was a time frame for me when I would schedule my Saturday nights based upon when I could be home at mom and Dad's department sitting down watching Saturday Night Live. I mean, it was a rich woe for me, absolute rich one. So that last night was such a wonderful time.
Speaker 4: And I know the.
Speaker 2: Parts that you didn't like, But here's what happened in last night that hasn't happened in years. Was that I think they poked fun it's funny and not pokes on at taking Marty short off by ice and say.
Speaker 4: That he was going to be sent back to Canada.
Speaker 2: Yeah, brilliant, I thought that was I thought that was a brilliant piece of writing.
Speaker 1: Well, I didn't mind that as much. I saw it as comedy and not as political. Uh opposition to President.
Speaker 4: I thought that was comedy. Uh, brilliant. I did.
Speaker 1: I did not enjoy the Lawrence Welk segment right at the top. I really didn't. I didn't. It didn't connect with me in a comedic way at all. I love I love the reintroduction of Eddie Murphy in places and that was good.
Speaker 2: And to think Murphy was a vast cast Vanburg last.
Speaker 4: Night, he was Brollian. He was brilliant.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah. And I liked the almost Broadway type homage to New York through the years of Saturday Night Live. I love that that piece was brilliant.
Speaker 2: That's John Mullaney's that's John mullaney strong point. Yeah, and doing the Broadway musicals.
Speaker 1: I love Black Jeopardy too. I gotta be gotta be honest.
Speaker 4: With you, and then Doug Wander's gonna be end.
Speaker 1: And my the one of the crowning moments for me was Adam Sandler in his homage to all of the cast members of Saturday Night Live over the years, the fifty years thing.
Speaker 4: I thought that was again just something that was over the top. Loved it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I loved it. Go ahead.
Speaker 2: I could have watched the whole thing without the skits, because I wasn't. Last Night to me wasn't about whatever the skit was. It was about who do they bring on, how do they pay tribute, how do they how do they figure out the last fifty years?
Speaker 1: And they could have done it differently in other reunion shows of Saturday Night Live over the years, they have featured more of the archive cliffs. But I thought that they did a good blend of you know that the current cast members and the archival footage. The John Belushi Don't Look Back in Anger skit is one of the old time classics. The Tom Schiller short film where Belushi's going through the graveyard. It's it's one of the classics of television.
Speaker 2: To me, John Belushi dancing on the grave of the graves of his solo cast members is again that was something at the time. I remember watching that the night it was on and going, this is absolutely brilliant.
Speaker 4: Yeah, you know, and it.
Speaker 2: Was in such a good place to put it in the show last night.
Speaker 4: It was fun. You know. I ended up being going one time to Saturday Night.
Speaker 1: I was going to ask, did you ever go to Saturday Night Live in New York?
Speaker 3: Yeah? Yeah, so we were.
Speaker 2: We had just moved back from Washington and practicing law here in Northern Kentucky.
Speaker 4: I look in and see if there's going to be a show that.
Speaker 2: Night at Vegas Supper Club. It's probably before your time in Northern Kentucky. It's torn down now, but they.
Speaker 1: Were doing a Now, this is different. This is different than Beverly Hills Separate Club. This was another one.
Speaker 4: It's different than Beverly. This is out in their lanker.
Speaker 2: Okay, all right, this was out in their linger and Martin put this thing together and they were having a show to celebrate that the local cable company at the time, with Store Cable, was going to bring on this new channel called Comedy Central, and they were going to have a night of comedy and at the end of the night they were going to give away two tickets to Saturday.
Speaker 4: Night Live, all expense paid up in back room, everything, spending money, the whole bit.
Speaker 2: Well, we go out there to see this and we sit in the front road as we always do it comedy shows. At the end of the show, the guy looks down and goes.
Speaker 3: You sitting the yellow hat or a yellow T shirt.
Speaker 4: With a loud voice, why don't you come up and pick a name out? I pull a name out of the.
Speaker 2: Hat, and the guy goes, Ladies and gentlemen for the trip to New York City, all expensive day, where's Rick Robinson?
Speaker 4: I pulled my own DM name out of the hat?
Speaker 5: Saras.
Speaker 2: So we go to Saturday. We go to Saturday Night Live. We uh David Schwimmer was the guest host. Natalie Merchant was the music was.
Speaker 4: The musical guest, and we had to go.
Speaker 2: They bring us upstairs before all the crowd comes up, and we had to go to Lauren Michael's office to get our tickets because we were using his special tickets that he had given up, his nightly tickets that he had given up so that these could promote this Comedy Central thing. We go into Lauren Michael's office and I look at window and I said, watch the door.
Speaker 4: She's like, what are you gonna do.
Speaker 2: I picked up the phone and called my buddy Jeff's land and Collect and I just said, except the charges, I'm gonna hang out.
Speaker 4: He accepted the charges.
Speaker 2: Just so I could take somebody and show him his phone bill later and go see I.
Speaker 4: Was in Lorden Michael's office.
Speaker 6: This is its phone number.
Speaker 4: That's so stupid. I wasn't.
Speaker 1: Well, yeah, some people, some people get unusual glee out of the weirdest things. But anyway, go ahead.
Speaker 2: So I walk outside and there's the interesting part about it is they're in rehearsal as they do.
Speaker 4: They have.
Speaker 2: They have a long rehearsal right before they come on air. They have a long rehearsal and if you don't get to last in your rehearsal, you get cut.
Speaker 4: Well, now, the funny thing is we.
Speaker 2: Walk out of there because where people are running in and out of studio A A A and going back and for Worth and doing all this stuff.
Speaker 4: And Norm McDonald comes storming into the hallway, coat tied, blue suit.
Speaker 2: Cut off jeeps and flip floss again. Gets hot, gets hot in the studio right, but he's running around and screaming what was the score of the game? And I forget what it was, but it was it was whether it was the Seminoles or the Braids.
Speaker 4: But it had to do with tomahawk chop.
Speaker 3: You know.
Speaker 2: If the team won, great, choked went one way. If the team lost, it wasn't the other. So we had just been at a bar and I looked at him and I said, you know, and I can't again, I can't remember if it was Braids or Seminoles, but I said, all they want.
Speaker 4: He said great, great. He's writing down and looked at me because the.
Speaker 2: Bleeper, you know, you know, and you didn't want to say I'm some guy that had to pull my own name out of a hatch in.
Speaker 1: Order to be here. It's a great story. You got so many of them, Rick Robinson, thank you for sharing. And you know, I felt like we were probably having some of the same reactions to the bits last night on the SNL fiftieth anniversary. It was worth watching, It really was, and worth TV are worth watching. But thank you so much, and enjoy the rest of your week at Cumberland. Don't get rained out, brother, all right, thanks man, you got it. Peter Bronson on President's Day, next news, It is President's Day and we're up to number forty seven on the list here as far as United States presidents since seventeen eighty three, Yeah, was the first president elected, the father of our country, George Washington. And to chat about this with my favorite historian, Peter Bronson as well as my good friend to talk for the next half hour about president's and their connections to Ohio and Cincinnati.
Speaker 7: Yeah, we could call it specifically presidents in our past, presidents in our past, or maybe even in our future. Really, I mean, we do have a Cincinnatian who is now in the White House as VP. That could be the next president.
Speaker 1: No question. JD. Van event could be the man in twenty eight you never know, very possible, or even Ditten farther down the road, you got to consider him the front runner right now. What what what is it about the state of Ohio specifically and since is it because it's in the middle of the country. Is it because it was the frontier as our country was expanding? What is it that makes this area so critical?
Speaker 7: All of the above, plus seat of power in the federal government, plus the fact that Cincinnati or Cincinnati and Ohio, Ohio has always been the swing state. So you never until the year two thousand when Biden won with that amazing seventy six million or whatever reclaimed he had, nobody had won the presidency without Ohio that I can recall. In so you had to win Ohio. So it was always good to have somebody from Ohio on your ticket. But also if you go way back then you have Cincinnati in the eighteen sixties was the sixth biggest city in the country, and it was the place where everything was happening. It was the center of the hub between East and West.
Speaker 1: Well because as commerce was expanding and the country was expanding. It's right here on the river.
Speaker 3: Yep.
Speaker 1: It was a major dropping off, a jumping off point from.
Speaker 7: We were the Chicago of the Midwest in those days. Yeah, right, absolutely, I'm looking at the names. Peter compiled a list for me. He's doing my research for me.
Speaker 1: I'll make sure you get a percentage of the whatever it is, the pittance that they pay. Let's kind of work backwards through this list of presidents in our past. And since Sheri and you mentioned JD. Vance, Richard Nixon.
Speaker 7: Yeah, well, there are a couple that are interesting. One he was a very close friend of the publisher The Inquirer at the time, so he made many visits to the city of Cincinnati. But also in my research for my book called Not in Our Town, the Battle against Larry Flint, the fight that Cincinnati waged for decency, when Cincinnati was on the front of that battle and all the other cities were afraid of being looking to prudy sh if they fought Larry Flint and his ilk.
Speaker 1: Mainly the mob it was. It was Richard Nixon.
Speaker 7: If you recall the Mease Commission that was so hated by the left in the media or I repeat myself.
Speaker 1: The memmission.
Speaker 7: Was the first that really laid out the facts for the public and said, look this porn stuff, this is all mob stuff, and it is not a victimist victimless crime.
Speaker 1: If you ever take a look. I have apy of it for my research.
Speaker 7: The examples that he brought forward of horrible human lives damaged by the porn industry were shocking. And the people that served on that commission, including Charlie Keating from Cincinnati.
Speaker 1: He was on it.
Speaker 7: He was one of the people who led that battle. So we had Cincinnati had a real dog in that fight.
Speaker 1: All right, LBJ. You always do you think about Texas with LBJ, But the Cincinnati connection.
Speaker 7: The Cincinnati connection is a little bit more remote, but still good. I ran across that one in my research for the book called Forbidden Fruit since Cities Underworld and the supper Club inferno, which was that after the Kennedy after JFK was shot and LBJ took over, and that whole assassination thing has roots that are verifiable. You can connect the dots right back to the battle in Newport when Bobby Kennedy came to town and cleaned up Newport. The Mob declared a vendetta on the Kennedys, and from there on they began talking about killing him. And one of the reasons they wanted to kill him was because he'd been fighting so big against Jimmy Hoffe.
Speaker 1: Well, so you take that from Newport forward. The first thing.
Speaker 7: LBJ did was he totally got rid of Bobby Kennedy and as Attorney General, which was doing the mob's bidding. And he also became declared Jugar Hoover.
Speaker 1: Who was about to be fired.
Speaker 7: He declared j Edgar Hoover the FBI director for life. Because LBJ had a lot of skeletons in his closet and j Edgar Hoover, the director of the FBI, knew where they all were.
Speaker 1: I think that LBJ has some skeletons in his closet that haven't been revealed yet. Yeah, I do too. Speaking of which, JFK's connections.
Speaker 7: JFK's connections, he came through Newport when Newport was still wild and controlled by the Mob in nineteen fifteen. He came through here sitting in the back of an open car, and there's a picture of him, a sort of locally famous picture and that's one of the last pictures you'll ever see of a president sitting in the president sitting in the back of an open car.
Speaker 1: But it was common campaign tactics. Then, well, there's obvious things about Warren G. Harding. He was from Ohio, yes, And and William Howard Taft.
Speaker 7: And another little item about Warrang G. Hiding Harding, the hit man for the mob in Newport, I by the name of Red Masterson, claimed to have killed more than one hundred people by himself, and he also liked to talk about his connections all the way to the Harding White House. Harding's personal secretary came from Kentucky and when it was a close friend of Red Masterson. And Red Masterson is mobbed up as you can get. So we're looking at mob connections from Newport to the White House.
Speaker 1: One term president and Supreme Court Justice William Howard Taft.
Speaker 7: Not much there about except being from Cincinnati and being the most corpulent president. Set a new standard for obesity in the White House, and we did huge James Garfield. James Garfield, you know, he has a statue in Piat Park here in Cincinnati, and it's a neat statue. He was interesting and I ran across him in my research for The Man who Saved Cincinnati because when Lou Wallace, who is the man who Saved Cincinnati right, wrote Ben hur James Garfield read it and was so thrilled that he wrote a complimentary letter to Lou Wallace and said, I would like to send you as my ambassador to Turkey so that you will get more fodder for another book.
Speaker 1: Wow. Rutherford B. Hayes. Now the reason I have I have a connection with Rutherford B. Hayes and one of Kristin my trips up north asphalt therapy, we went and visited the Rutherford B. Hayes House oh neat in Fremont, oh Great Ohio, and it was just a grand house. Rutherford B. Hayes said, in this house, if you've ever seen it, has this massive front porch. And he always said when he built, before he built a house, he said, I want a big porch with a house behind it. That's cool and very very regal, very cool. But anyway, probably one of our more intelligent and literate and cultured presidents.
Speaker 7: He was a member of the Cincinnati Literary Club back when that was the place. One of the places that supplied an incredible number of Civil War generals and officers. And he was quite distinguished and recognized for his service in the Civil War. And also was the man who sent lou Wallace to go settle the Range War in New Mexico and appointed him as governor of the territory out there.
Speaker 1: And another tie to one of Peter's books, what do you know ulysses as Grant? Born in Point Pleasant? Obviously I've been to the birthplace many times, going down a great little trip to visit friends in Ripley, you know a way. So what about Ulysses as anything else? Ulysses as Grant?
Speaker 7: Besides that, he once raced horses on the streets of Cincinnati against my man lou Wallace, and Grant's horse was named Cincinnati, Oh cool. And lou Wallace's horse was named Old John. Now you'd think you know Cincinnati Old John.
Speaker 1: Guess what? Lou Wallace won that race? How about that?
Speaker 7: And and us Grant, outside of being one of our great presidents and fantastic Civil War generals, he was his life is intertwined with that of lou Wallace in a lot of ways that are very fascinating Abraham Lincoln.
Speaker 1: Abraham Lincoln it, as you know, one of the great presidents in our country's history, even though he pretty much dismantled the US Constitution's Bill of Rights during the Civil War.
Speaker 7: During the Civil War he suspended the rights of habeas corpus, and just about anything else.
Speaker 1: But his connections to Cincinnati.
Speaker 7: His one of his most interesting connections is that he was nearly assassinated in Cincinnati on his way to his own inauguration in eighteen sixty. Now, if that had happened thanks to the sharp eyes of a local police detective or one of his secret service members, we're not sure which. They spotted a satchel on his train after he got off to give speeches in Cincinnati. Somebody had placed a bomb in his train car that was of sufficient power that it would have blown the entire car off the wheels and he would have been completely obliterated. If this had happened in eighteen sixty, think of what different course our nation would have taken. We probably would be two countries today.
Speaker 1: Yeah, we might not be a United Nation or United States. Fantastic story, really really interesting. James Buchanan, who was looked upon as not a great president, No, but has Cincinnati connection. I'd say one of the worst.
Speaker 7: And if you take James Buchanan's resume and put it alongside Joe Biden's resume, you're going to see so much similarity. A caretaker, a political hack. He never had a job in the private sector. He was reviled. He had the lowest approval rating you could possibly have as a president when he left.
Speaker 1: If there was such a thing then.
Speaker 7: And for the first three years of the Civil War, it was known as not the War between the States, not the Civil War. It was known as Buchanan's war because he was so inept and he failed to do anything to head it off.
Speaker 1: Zachary Taylor is on this list. Zachary Taylor obviously a very very short term in office eighteen forty nine to eighteen fifty. Yes, tell me about Zachary Taylor and his connection.
Speaker 7: He was an army guy, a very effective and tough army general.
Speaker 1: He was known in the army as old, rough and ready.
Speaker 7: And he was the guy who went down and prosecuted the war against Mexico and won it, and took the battle all the way to Chipoultpec and Mexico City. And what he did also in those early years. He's the one who kind of laid the framework for all the people that fought in the Civil War on both sides, including lou Wallace.
Speaker 1: Again you'll hear his name a lot here. Is that they fought.
Speaker 7: Under him and they learned the art of war through watching old rough and.
Speaker 1: Ready, how about that James K.
Speaker 5: Polk.
Speaker 7: He was very interesting because he actually, if you want to take a look at history from Tennessee, wasn't he Yes?
Speaker 1: I think so.
Speaker 7: And so if you'd go back and look at the Gulf of Tonkin incident, remember when Johnson staged this incident to try and build up the war in Vietnam and build up more public support. That's exactly what Polk did to fight the war against Mexico. He wanted to expand our border and he wanted to take back all that land that Mexico had in the west, including New Mexico and Arizona. And he actually instigated a border incident by sending down a bunch of adventurers to take that land and pick a fight with the Mexican government, and that led to the War of the Mexican American War, and we won all that territory thanks to James K.
Speaker 5: Polk.
Speaker 1: William Henry Harrison, who I think was president for what thirty days?
Speaker 7: Yeah, were so one of the shortest presidents he's on record.
Speaker 1: He got a cold from his inauguration. It was a cold, wet day, you know, when Donald Trump they finally decided to have the inauguration indoors. Yeah, you know, just and it wasn't the coldest inauguration ever, and many of them have been held outdoors. But when they made that decision, and it was a controversial decision because so many people wanted to attend Trump's inauguration this time but were unable to. And they'd already made plans and spent a bunch of money and gotten off work to go to Washington, d C.
Speaker 3: To do that.
Speaker 1: And I said at the time on the air, I said, well, remember what happened to William Henry Harrison. You know what that happening to Donald Trump or anybody else who goes He got a cold, he died. I think twenty three or.
Speaker 7: Thirty days, the shortest presidency one month on record. I think William Henry Harrison is very important to Ohio and Cincinnati because he fought with mad Anthony Wayne, And in fact, you can see him in the famous painting of the Treaty of Greenville, when Mad Anthony Wayne defeated the Indian Federation in made Ohio safe for settlement. William Henry Harrison is standing there with his commander, Matt Anthony Wayne. Any other thoughts on w h H just that sort of such a sad short presidency and a courageous guy who Yeah, how.
Speaker 1: Do you rate somebody like that? They never got a chance to enact policy or pursue an agenda. No, No, I think the in reference point, who was the president after Harrison? Who took his Do you remember.
Speaker 7: Let's say it would have been right at would have been the vice president?
Speaker 1: And I can't remember who that is. It's right before Polk, right right, And we mentioned that Pope was a rather provocative character ye war with Mexico, and yeah, well you know Polk.
Speaker 7: If we if we look at the next one on the list is Andrew Jackson. Very shortident, a great president's and one of my favorites. But a very short anecdote about him that connects him to our region is that the first frontiersman around here, along with Daniel Boone, was Simon Kenton. And Simon Kenton was an amazing guy. He was like six foot four. He could run like a deer. He was had incredible the strength of three men. And in that time, six foot four is a towery. It's a giant. Yes, and so was Andrew Jackson. Andrew Jackson was a brawler, a fighter. He was a nasty fighter. And legend has it that they crossed paths once in a little tavern and Simon Kenton whipped the tar out of Andrew j Yes, no, kitten.
Speaker 1: Yes, you know. My wife is I don't know, one eighth Cherokee. So whenever I tell her that one of my favorite presidents is Andrew Jackson, she goes, she just kind of shakes her head. And a president whose name is coming up more and more with Donald Trump in office, and in fact, we have another guest on this show tonight who will talk about the Monroe doctrine and in pursuant to Greenland and South America and all of the things that has been discussed. Yeah, since Donald Trump, that's one back into office. He's a former Green Beret. But anyway, cool James Monroe. Okay, so I won't get into Monroe doctrine.
Speaker 7: I don't want to step on too much of that except for a local anecdote, which is really neat. So the Monroe doctrine was that we're going to expand our territory, and by doing this, one of the effective methods what's called filibusters in the eighteen thirties and philibusters will when private armies, some guy like you or me with a lot of money would raise an army and go down to the border and just take sides in a maybe in a civil war in Mexico or in Bolivia or in the Central and all those mercenaries today we do, but in those days they filibusters, and the notion was that if things got bad, we could always send you US army in there to back them up, and then we could claim that territory or make some kind of deal with the new government. So what happened is because of the Monroe doctrine, that was one of the things that encouraged Texas to fight back against the government of Government of Mexico and declare its independence as a state. And that led to the battle between Texas that actually won independence against Santa Anna, which was decided at the Battle of San Jacinto, and that pivotal battle was only one thanks to Cincinnati, because Cincinnati forged two cannons that became known as the Twin Sisters yep and sent them down to the Texans and they put those in the middle of their line in surprise the daylights out of Santa Anna, who didn't know the Texans had any cannons because before that they didn't, and they blew the Mexican An army apart. They won that battle thanks primarily to Cincinnati, and for about fifty years afterwards, on the anniversaries of Texas independence, they would send thank you letters to Cincinnati.
Speaker 1: And it's all connected to James Monroe.
Speaker 7: And it all goes back to the Monroe doctrine. If you take a look at the map of the amount of territory that was finally won in the Mexican American War a decade later to back up what happened in Texas, because Santa Ana was nursing a grudge and he didn't really recognize Texas and independence.
Speaker 1: But you'd take a look at that territory.
Speaker 7: Almost half of our country was made possible by Cincinnati and those canons at San Jacinto.
Speaker 1: Amazing. Well, we're up to number one, and he's number one on most historians lists. When it comes to presidents, the first is the greatest, at least so far. Yes, my favorite president. It's interesting to hear people compare other presidents to this guy, because, I mean, how do you how do you even I mean people who've compared Donald Trump with being a George Washington like character. But to compare any president with the first and the first real leader of this country who did not believe in partisan politics whatsoever. What are George Washington's connections to Cincinnati, Pete, There are two or three.
Speaker 7: Let's start with the fact that he surveyed most of this area that we now know as the Northwest Territory. He was one of the first. Back in those days, in the seventeen eighties, a surveyor was an adventure. It was one of the coolest things you could do. You were going out in the wilderness and you were mapping territory and claiming it for the United States.
Speaker 1: And so he.
Speaker 7: Surveyed these territories before the Revolutionary War. He fought the Revolutionary War, but afterwards he was in this really tight situation, which is that the British really nursed a grudge about losing to these upstart colonies, and they're sitting in Canada and they do not want to see these colonies expand past the Alleghanies, because that's going to be Canadian land.
Speaker 1: That's all of.
Speaker 7: Ohio, Illinois, Wisconsin, Michigan, all of the Midwest.
Speaker 1: And so what did they do.
Speaker 7: They used as their proxy army, mainly the Miami and the Shawnee and the Indian Confederation, and they paid them fifty dollars for scalps and one hundred dollars for live hostages to go terrorize these new settlers in this land called Ohio and discouraged them.
Speaker 1: From moving west.
Speaker 7: Well, Washington saw this and he basically pushed all his chips onto the table with Congress and he said, I need an army. Well, Congress didn't want an army because that's why they fought the Revolutionary War. They didn't want a standing army. Washington gambled all of his political capital. He finally got an army, and after two disasters and massacres of his troops that were sent out to defeat the Indian Confederation, he finally got a real army that was commanded by mad Anthony Wayne. And that's the army that defeated the Indian Confederation at the Battle of Fallen Timbers and won all of this Northwest territory. One more story, real quickly, Yes, George Washington. What do you got, George Washington? Well, he was an amazing guy. What he did at Valley Forge is it's like and the way he came back from that, from complete defeat, demoralization, his troops leaving in droves, they had reached the end of their enlistments. They no longer could be paid. Just and to recognize in somebody like Anthony Wayne, who was in peacetime.
Speaker 1: He was a scoundrel of failure.
Speaker 7: He'd been kicked out of Congress for voter fraud.
Speaker 1: He was made for one thing, winning war.
Speaker 7: And when he nominated him after he finally gets this army and he tells Congress the guy I'm going to send it men, it is Anthony Wayne.
Speaker 1: They blew their top, but he said, that's my guide. He was right. Peter Bronson, thank you, this has been magical. We could have done this for the three hours. Oh, it's been fun. I love these stories. They're just great. Peter Bronson The latest book is The Man Who Saves Cincinnati.
Speaker 7: Oh no, it's promised Lane, that's right, Promise Lane, Promise Midwest. Well, the Midwest was one, and you'll find the stories about Washington and Anthony Wayne. And check out Chili Dog Press if you're interested in Pete's books.
Speaker 1: And they're available everywhere, Yes, everywhere, books are sold. Thank you, thank you, Gary Jets. You've got it tonight at any time. It didn't have to occur on a Monday or a President's Day, but it happens in the current day which we are living in, and that is the world of internet things, and it accelerates exponentially, it seems like every day. So maybe the conversation we are having tonight will be obsolete in another week. Who knows, but to join us for that a man who's dubbed himself Doomed Day Dave, which I'm giving him more credit than being Doomsday Dave or Debbie Downer as he sometimes liked to say, when it comes to things that you should watch out for in the cyber world. Dave is with Interest and they're a fantastic company, and he's been working in computer programming and writing code for years and years and years and follows all of the latest stories for US and for several other outlets around town. He's a multi media superstar when it comes to the world of it. And he's laughing right now at this wonderful, magnanimous introduction that I'm giving him. Dave Hatter, Welcome to the show again.
Speaker 5: Always my pleasure to be on, Garry Jeff. And I got to say that that was quite the intro. I don't know that I deserve it, but I much appreciate that was excellent.
Speaker 1: I was just talking to somebody yesterday, Dave, about all of the apps that come with phones, iPhones or Android phones and the ones that you know, put on your phone so you can get the latest gadget, and we're having a discussion of what to delete and what to not delete, and what they won't let you delete in some cases. But this story caught my eye immediately just because it reminded me of that recent conversation that I had a day or two ago with somebody about apps and what to delete if it's time to delete them, and all of that. And you've got a story about that, I believe.
Speaker 4: Yeah, Jerry Jeff.
Speaker 5: You know, first off, I just want to remind us we're currently in this surveillance capitalism age where these apps are quote free quote because you are the product, not the customer.
Speaker 3: You're paying with your data and not your money, and.
Speaker 5: Well that's not necessarily nefarious. Folks need to understand that trade off, and I don't think they do. That's one of my issues with this. Most people can't really give informed consent because they don't understand how much data these apps collect, who they're sharing it with. And when you try to read the privacy policy, as I'm sure you know, it's about eighty pages of legal mumbo jumbo. That's, you know, completely incomprehensible. So that's that's where I get frustrated with all of these apps out there. And you know, I'll be the first to tell you. On my Apple phone, I have maybe five apps that were not installed on the phone when I got it, and all of them are work related. There are all things I use, you know, to my day to day job to communicate with people in such things like Microsoft Teams, Microsoft out of LinkedIn, et cetera. So PC Magazine put together this expo today, it's really not at all surprising to me to see the companies and the apps that show up on this list. I encourage people to check it out. I will post it to all my social media x, Facebook, LinkedIn, et cetera. And I know people still in it. Dave, you're about to say, don't use these apps. I don't use the Facebook app. You know I have minimal apps. So yes, I use various social media sites. Give Jeff, you know, promote our business, and trust to promote the city if we're right to promote things I'm doing like talking to you today, But I have you know I'm mostly using a very privacy friendly browser either Braver, Firefox on a full bloom PC where I can control the information that's being shared with these things. And one last point before I hit some of the ones on this list, again, it's the same as angers you and I have been talking about for years. I would remind folks that again anytime you can use if you want to use a platform, pick anything Amazon, Facebook, Google, Search, whatever. While those are all very privacy unfriendly companies, as you'll see if you look at this full blown list, which again i'll link to, people can.
Speaker 3: Go find it on their own.
Speaker 5: You're always better off to use them over the web and a privacy friendly browser rather than install their app. And then secondarily again understand that trade off you're making. And I encourage people to take a look go to the Apple app Store and look at the privacy label. The Apple requires every manufacturer of software that wants to deploy an app, and there's still to put a privacy label out there that tells you what they want to collect. And I think if most people would take the time to look at the kind of information that's being collected, it's kind of mind blow TikTok in particular super aggressive data collection. And I'm sure not a chaker to you made this list. I'm amazed it came in only at fourteen.
Speaker 3: Out of this list of twenty.
Speaker 5: It starts with Facebook, Messenger and Instagram threads to meta products. You know again Facebook Meta, you are their product. They make almost all of their money off of you. And when you look at this full chart and then we won't have time to get too deep into this. They have a bunch of different categories. For example, percent of personal data share with third parties, percent of personal data collectors for developers, advertising and marketing in various categories like that. So Facebook and Messenger, and then Instagram and threads all from meta slash. Facebook sixty eight point six percent comes in at number one of your personal data is being shared with third parties. Amazon comes in at five point seven on this list, but they're high on many the other categories. The LinkedIn app comes in pretty high on this list.
Speaker 1: And you use linked use LinkedIn?
Speaker 3: I do.
Speaker 5: I do use the LinkedIn app both in a web browser, well through a web browser, and an app on my phone because you know, for me, it's a powerful business tool. That's the only app I have that is not one hundred percent work related. Again, something like Microsoft Outlook or teams installed on this.
Speaker 3: Use it did not come on it by default.
Speaker 1: Is it the only app that's on this list that's on your phone?
Speaker 5: Dave looking at this list, Gary Jeff, Yes it is, because of course Google's on here. I don't use anything from Google. Well and real quick, you know on my LinkedIn blog if you look me up on LinkedIn. I put together a list of privacy friendly products that I use in my personal life. Again, there's the business side, the interest stuff that I'm required to use to work, and interestings like proton Mail, Brave and so forth. You know that I use for my personal stuff. So if people want to find privacy friendly alternatives to things like Google Search and Gmail and so forth, I've already put all that together. It's free. I'm happy to share it. Look me up on LinkedIn you'll find it. We'd be in the much better world, Garry Jeff if everyone was concerned about their privacy and not beating all of their data to these companies that are not helpful to you.
Speaker 1: I hear you. What was number twenty on the list? You said there were twenty apps listed on this PC mag list that you should be probably think about deleting from your phone.
Speaker 5: Yeah, interesting enough, I mean several tides. There's actually more than twenty, but they stopped at twenty, and the twenty at this Roadblox, which is basically, you know, more or less the game for kids, but you know all the usual offenders. Gmail, everything from Google shows up to him many times. Amazon, you know, Facebook, Slash Meta, Candy Crush. There's a bunch of things on here that it might be surprising to people if they look Google Maps.
Speaker 4: Yai.
Speaker 1: Fine, Yeah, we have talked about candy Crush, and you know people just mindlessly playing candy Crush. I know, grown as. I'm sorry for the language. Grown ass men, who's sitting there playing candy Crush, and I'm going, what's wrong with you? But candy Crush is actually a portal that could be taking data, personal data, information about you every time you play right, You're.
Speaker 3: Exactly right here, Jase, believe it or not.
Speaker 5: The developers that built candy Crush and all the infrastructure that makes candy Crush work, the servers, the cloud, all that stuff out there. It costs money, developers and network engineers and so forth.
Speaker 4: They got to eat too.
Speaker 5: They have mortgages, They send their kids.
Speaker 3: To school, sure that they got to eat.
Speaker 5: And the way they do it is through surveillance capitalism. They're collecting your data. You should look at the privacy label for candy Crush. Again, it's fairly low on this list, but you should look at the privacy label and understand it's collecting all kinds of information off your device. And you know, for example, candy Crush eight point six percent of personal data shared with third parties. Now you don't know what those third parties are. You don't know what they're doing with your data or who they might be sharing it. Rich so it's not just the vendor and then their third parties, it's the data brokers who then buy it and share it with others, and next thing you know, information is out there about you.
Speaker 3: It's used in.
Speaker 5: Ways against you that you couldn't even begin to guess. And again I'm not saying don't use any of this stuff ever. Understand the trade off, look at those privacy labels, and then wherever possible, if you really need to use one of these services, try to use the web based version if they have one, you will be much better off from a privacy standpoint.
Speaker 1: Bye. I have Microsoft Outlook on minds. That's the work email. I've got an email that came with the phone that I've never used. I forgot what my password is even.
Speaker 3: You know.
Speaker 1: They got to calendar the photos the camera and I use all of that, the maps which I use, whether notes, reminders which I really don't use, the settings that you've got to have my iHeartRadio app, and then there's a podcast that Apple store. I don't know. There's not a whole lot of junk on mine. I've seen people's phones and it's just flat full of the whole screen is full of apps and then you then you flip the screen and that that whole screen is full of apps and you really don't need all those apps.
Speaker 5: I mean, I'm sure, I'm sure this will come as a shaker to you, Gary Jeff. But I might be married to a person that fits that description who does not listen to me.
Speaker 1: You say you might shock right, So you say you might be there. Are you sure that the marriage license is good? Or what do you mean by you might be married to a person?
Speaker 5: You know? I would never never want to, you know, out my wife on the air. Possible, I might be married to a person that has a lot of apps that I continuously try to convince her to get it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and she lives with you. Apparently you're you're sleeping with the enemy, Dave.
Speaker 5: I'm not as persuasive as I need to be, apparently, Jerry.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I tell you what. Let's take a break. We'll come right back more with Dave Hatter on a Nightcap in just a moment on seven hundred wlw are you a bit again? We're talking with Dave Hatter on this Monday evening President's Day, Gary Jeff with you and Dave hatterback with us on seven hundred WLW Dave, there's a video that you posted from YouTube that shows how criminals can very easily and smoothly install credit card skimmers at a gas pump or wherever there's an open credit cards and they're everywhere. You know, there there at the speedway, on the counter, they're at department stores. There are all kinds of which, I mean, that's probably tougher for a criminal to install a scammer and inside a you know, security based video surveillance grocery store or department store, I would imagine, But outside at a gas station, that's usually where the card skimmers are found. But it just says that it's easy for these people to do it without much detection. Tell me about this story, please, sir.
Speaker 4: Yeah, Gary, Jeff.
Speaker 5: This is a real problem, and you know it's These skimmers have shown up if you check the local press many times in the greater Cincinnati region. Now, this this was video, and I encourage people to watch it. It's from w x y Z out of Detroit. But they have video of these scammers coming in and you know they got an expert on there talking about it. Here's the problem. The skimmers keep getting smaller and in some cases, they're literally small enough where you can drop it inside the card flock.
Speaker 3: Because the old advice has.
Speaker 5: Always been, okay before you put your card in it and your right. Gas stations are the most commonplace for this because once you're in the store, right, there's generally a lot of video surveillance. There's people moving around, right. But you know, they managed to place these things inside stores even sometimes you usually they'll distract the clerk work in the cash register, maybe they pay in cash, ask a bunch of question whatever while they're fumbling with the device. And again, the old school advice has always been look for anything that looks unusual. And I this is advice I share with my family all the time, but I do it every time before I put my card in any kind of point in sales system, like, I will feel it.
Speaker 3: Does it move around?
Speaker 4: Does it look odd?
Speaker 3: Is it unusual in any way? Right?
Speaker 5: Because if it is, it's possible that it's been tampered with. But that alone is not good enough. Again, these things now are so small they literally will drop them inside the slot. The card reader thing will still work, right, but it will also skim your credit card. Usually they have some kind of WI fi and you know they can sit out in the parking lot and suck the credit card numbers off of there. So this isn't to suit people out and say don't ever use a credit card. But you know, unfortunately these things still happen reagarly. They're getting harder and harder to detect. And at this point you're only real defense other than being really scrupulous. When you go to put a card in something and again check it out, does it look unusual? Does it feel tamped with? Is the aperture where the card goes in loose? Is really to either use cash or use where you tap or something like apples?
Speaker 1: Well, well, well, if if there's a if there's a device inside the credit card reader itself in the slot, and now the gas station I go to, you have a you have a place to tap in and it's the same it's the same reader where you slide in the card or you tap it. And so wouldn't it be able to get your information if you just tap your card?
Speaker 5: As far as I know, the answer is no.
Speaker 4: And here's why.
Speaker 5: Now, I'm not one hundred percent certain someone hasn't devised something that you get around us. I hasn't it to say with authority what I'm about to tell you is.
Speaker 3: One hundred percent accurate.
Speaker 1: Okay.
Speaker 5: So generally speaking, the ones that require you to slide the card in, it's reading the mag stripe off the card. It's so the tap to pay is using near field communication and that C technology. I can't guarantee you for sure that you couldn't older device to to capture both, but that is not typically the case.
Speaker 1: Okay, that's that's what I would say.
Speaker 4: That makes sense.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, yeah, any other words about I mean, other than watching to see if anything looks unusual or unwieldy about the credit card reader that you're using, I would say as yeah, go ahead.
Speaker 5: I would just say Gary, Jeff, you know, stick to card readers that are in the most visible places where they'd be harder to tamper with. Like if you're in a gas station, the ones closest to the attendance where there's the most foot traffic much more difficult to tamper with than the one that's like the furthest the way and facing the screen, for example. And you know, even at a store, you know, if you stick to the places where there's the most people, perhaps you can see security cameras. You know, there's the most foot traffic. It makes it a lot more difficult for the bad guys to have time to tamper with things.
Speaker 1: Well, this is this is gotta be.
Speaker 5: Real careful and then you know, keep it on your accounts.
Speaker 1: Yeah, this is a very important conversation that we need to be having, Dave, because so few people and me working in a in a cash business as a bartender, so few people carry cash anymore. To me, cash is king. I use cash all the time. At the grocery store or wherever I'm shopping, I usually use cash. And I you know, when you have to use a credit card for a payment or something like that on your insurance or your your cable or whatever you're you're spending your money on. Uh, that's that has that kind of electronic link. Yeah, okay, fine, using my bank account that way. But I I love to use cash, and they're trying to take it away from us, Dave.
Speaker 4: What do they do? They are?
Speaker 3: Gary?
Speaker 5: Yeah, so that's something I'm really concerned about. Yeah, you know, I don't tend to carry a lot of cash on me, but yeah, the idea that we could ever get to a society where everything is one hundred percent, and I'm not sure that we won't eventually just get there by default. But the potential then for you to be controlled by the government or fill in the blank, whichever side you're on, whoever's in control, would have total control of you know, everything you buy. You know, look at the social credit score situation in China. You know, as soon as you run a foul of the government and anyway, they could shut you down. Not to mention, every day we see some sort of hack or something that shows you that, you know, our systems are still way too immature for something like central bank digital currency. So yeah, I'm one hundred percent against it.
Speaker 4: I know.
Speaker 5: Warren Davidson, actogusman in Ohio, very knowledgeable about the subject, has been, you know, very strongly opposed to this, talks about it a lot, learns about it a lot. Yeah, the idea of a cash with society is not good. I understand the arguments for it, but I think the downside is so big. I hope it does not happen in my lifetime. And I encourage people to use cash whenever you can, simply because it reduces the risk of things like skimmers. Yeah, you know, or having an employee steal your credit cards.
Speaker 1: You and I am someone that works there, Sure, Dave, you and I have talked about this on numerous occasions, but one more time with feeling please on Internet connected cameras like your ring, doorbell or whatever you're using, that are made in China may be used despite on US infrastructure as well, according to the Department of Homeland Security. What's this story all about?
Speaker 3: In a nutshell, Yeah, so Juilwei hick Vision.
Speaker 5: There's a bunch of cameras out there now. I'm not a fan of these Internet connected cameras in general. When the IoT, the Internet of things are so called smart devices, you can't see my air quotes as a whole for a lot of the reasons we just talked about, right, this market is very immature, and most of the time the vendors that build these things are much more focused on ease of use and market share, speed to market than they are things like privacy and security. So as a whole, many, if not most, Internet connected devices are privacy and security dumpster fires. People don't know how to configure them correctly, they don't not update the software in them, and you know, a research study found that they looking at the major smart TV manufacturers, none of them put out updates for their software inside the TVs after more than two years. And that's true across all these things. So there's so many problems with these things, and people are buying this stuff and plugging it in without any thought to Could I hack your smart camera and then get to your PC and then get to your bank account or your work systems. Well maybe maybe that's not far fetched. And now you've got DHS warning again specifically about any cameras built in China. Shocker, I know, right, we pretty much anything coming from China. Here's a warning, folks. If it's digital and it has software and it came from China or a PRC controlled company, eventually I can guarantee you there will be a problem with it. And yeah, so you've got DHS warning that these things could potentially be hacked, not only as an attack vector for downstream attacks on servers, systems, whatever with it as networks. But the fact and there was a story Gary, Jeff, we may have talked about it not maybe a year and a half ago, where the Russians were hacking security cameras in Ukraine and then using those cameras to target things. So I know this downs far fetched the people that don't follow this stuff and don't work in the business.
Speaker 3: But I'm just.
Speaker 5: Telling you again, this isn't old Doomsday Dave Hatter's opinion, although I strongly agree with it and I try to avoid any of this stuff. You've got the Department of Homeland Security explicitly warning people to get rid of these kind of cameras because they're easily hackable and a potential way for our adversaries China in particular, to collect information and or even possibly launch attacks.
Speaker 1: Well, you know, as you, as you mentioned earlier in the conversation, you just got to convince your wife of all this, Dave.
Speaker 5: Yeah, it's got Mike sisssis. I pushed, pushed the rock up the hill and then it rolls over me and I go back down and start over every day.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Dave had or thank you much spending some time with us tonight. Fun stuff and important stuff both my pleasure. Thanks all right, Dave had He and you can find him on LinkedIn and several other places, and he'll pop up on Local twelve. He'll be on fifty five KR. See, you never know where Dave will surface next. But he has a good, strong message and something you need to heed most of the time. The nightcap continues on seven hundred WLW. So what's in your body language? Well, we have a guest who says that sometimes everything it tells you a whole lot about an individual just by watching their posture in different situations. We have America's Psychiatrists, host of Doctor Carroll's Couch on Voice America dot com, the Terrorist Therapist podcast, and she's been a previous guest on the show many many times. You've seen her on TV, you've heard her here, and once again tonight she joins us doctor Lieberman, what's going on with Donald Trump and his body language? You were especially referencing the meeting in the Oval Office that occurred last week where the President is sitting at the Resolute desk behind the Resolute desk and Elon Musk is standing next to him along with his cute little kid X, who apparently at some point during the session the press session, X leaned into the President and told him to shut his mouth. But it was explaining doge and what they're doing and why they're doing it, and why everybody, I mean it's most of the stuff that they're talking about are what they call eighty twenty issues. Eighty percent of the American people are definitely four what they're doing and cutting government and spending and the waste and the fraud that is in our federal government. And man, have we been have we been treated to a litany of just horrifying amounts of money that's ours, that's going out the door for fraudulent means and money laundering and other things. Anyway, I got sidetracked, so doctor Laberman, welcome to the show number one, and it's great to have you back.
Speaker 6: Well, thank you. And yes, that meeting, that press conference about DOGE and about some of the the atroc atrocities that they have found already, the corruption and money going to you know, going to people are who must be dead because otherwise they'd be one hundred and fifty years old, and to just things that don't have any description either there's a check for a certain amount of money and no description of what it was for. I mean, they're finding outrageous things, and it does boggle my mind that people, well, I mean, you know, the left is just angry at trunk no matter what trunk does right that they don't think that it's right. But this particular press conference I thought was interesting in terms of body language. Some people have said that they thought Elon Musk was in control because Elon was standing and Trump was sitting. But Trump was sitting at his desk, which is, you know, the the the centerpiece. Yes, yes, so you know, of course the cameras are going to be on that. But anyhow, but but he did give Elon the floor to explain the details of what they've been finding. I mean, clearly Trump knew those as well, but I think in part I think he did that so that the criticism, you know, would continue to go towards Elon and not to him. But I mean, Elon is the one who he put in charge of DOGE and is the one who's looking into all of these monies that have just been going out the window. So so, but I think that Trump has been in control. First of all, Trump doesn't really get into any kind of circumstance where he's not in control, or he makes it in his control, takes the control over at some point if he isn't at the beginning.
Speaker 4: And.
Speaker 6: Elon Musk kept looking over to Trump to for approval, you know, as he was explaining himself. And you know, so that's another indication that Trump was really in control. And but so it was a little strange. Was was his son X. Now we of course X was adorable, uh, but but it really seemed a little inappropriate for him to be he was he was a distraction and the way he made it seem you know, first of all, he was kind of walking around and doing all kinds of interesting movements, and so people would be, you know, always going to look at children or animals, you know. Sure, so so that was a little distracting. It made it seem like they were sitting together in a park rather than that this is like something of super major importance, like the money, our money, and and you know, the firings that were going on and are going on. And so that was a little And then of course the way he talked to drug. Now clearly somebody must have said that to him like shush, you know, so he was just kind of repeating him. But then but then Eli was picked him up and he had him on his shoulders and he had him on his head, and I mean that's all very cute and adorable, but it just didn't have I don't think that the place was at this kind of a meeting press.
Speaker 5: Yeah, exact.
Speaker 1: Here's here's what I what I take away from that, and what I took away from that at the time. I guess now that we're talking about it, it's coming back to me what I took away from him being in this press conference in the Oval Office with his father and President Trump, was Trump signaling that this is the new Norman Washington. This is well, it's vastly, incredibly important to getting this runaway train of thirty six thirty seven trillion dollars in debt that will never repay if we don't stop it right now. But for me, this is the new norm in the White House. There's kids, there're families, because this affects everyone in every family in America. And that's what I took away from it. You're right, it's not the usual protocol. It's not the usual standard that you expect of a president and a presidency. But I think that that's part of the charm of Trump, is that he doesn't do things the way establishment Washington aspects and the buttoned up, in the very very formal at all times kind of vibe I mean, do you see where I'm coming from there? Yes?
Speaker 6: Yes, And I like his you know the way that he does that. You know that he brings his own style to it. But you know, first of all, I was wondering what his own children were thinking about this, you know, like Baron wasn't in the Oval office, for example. I think Baron must have been jealous of X. You know what's going on here? My father never let me do this in the Oval Office. I don't know, I just I mean.
Speaker 1: Well, back back to our original point. Your original point is, even though Musk is standing up during this press conference and Trump is sitting down the president, his body language shows he was in control. And there are certain certain cues and certain things for people look for in a situation like that. What do you look for to find out who the alpha is in the room, doctor Lieberman?
Speaker 6: Well, as I was starting to say, you know where Trump had them sit and stand, you know where the placement of them, then Trump really didn't make very much movement. You know, he he did look at Elon Musk's sons from time to time, and as the press conference was going on, he was looking a little less intrigued with his son like at first he was kind of he could tell us Trump thought it was adorable, and then he thought it was less adorable as as X was making, you know, distracting more and more. Then we have Elon Musk. His main body movements were when he brought his hands far apart and back together. And when his hands were apart, it meant that he was open to considering options in regarding to what he was talking about, or at least he wanted to make people think that he was open to options. When he put his hands together, particularly with his fingers touching, in what's called a steeple position, you know, putting them together like a church steeple. Sure, that was to underline certain points, you know, and certain conclusions. And and you know Trump put in his he wasn't really I mean, that was part of it too, that he wasn't really making a whole lot of big body movements. He he was, you know, sort of self contained in his seat at the desk. And and you know when he there were certain parts towards the end, there were certain parts where he kind of took over. I mean, he wanted he was sort of underlining to the points that that Elan was making in that there is just so much much corruption that uh, you know that we should all be shocked, we should all be outraged.
Speaker 1: Yes we should. Indeed we should. And I love what you said earlier about uh and it's true about their points. During this press conference in the Oval Office last week, where Elon Musk was looking to the President for approval, and you could tell, you could tell you Elon was standing. You could tell who was in charge in the room, right.
Speaker 6: And you know, I think Elon was anxious, you know, I mean you have to remember that Elon. I mean, yes, he's a big shot. He's the boss of space X, He's the boss of X or Twitter, at Tesla, all of that. So when he gets up to make a you know, a speech at any of those places, no one's questioning that he's the boss. No one's going to criticize him, at least not in the press conference for any of these other companies. But this was a different circumstances. It was even different than when Elon was on stage at the rallies, you know, at Truck's rallies. It wasn't like to he wasn't under any criticism at that point. I mean, other than people who you know, were criticizing Trump and criticizing Republicans not wanting Republicans to win. But it wasn't anything personal or that didn't seem personal towards Elon. This is the first time that he has been getting a lot of criticism because the people not wanting to lose their jobs and all of that, and people being afraid of what they're going to discover, you know, I mean he has he hasn't finished yet, and I'm sure there's going to be a lot more grafted that he will discover. So it was it was a different position, and so he was anxious, and I was thinking that that was why Trump allowed Elon to bring his son kind of as a security blanket, you know, therapy dog.
Speaker 1: Sure, Sooe, No, that's that's a good point. That's a good point. Well, Uh, can you give me an example of how Trump differs in a public space either at the press conference in the Oval office and his body language as opposed to say, Kamala Harris and her her body language and which always came off to me as very very nervous and unsure, I mean, went right along with that patented nervous laugh that she had anytime She couldn't come up with an answer to even simple questions. I mean, what did you notice about her in particular? Although we really don't have to watch her anymore, thank god. So what did you make of Kamala Harris's body language in different situations?
Speaker 6: She was all over the place. Kamala she has I you know, I've never met her personal I don't want to. But from what I have seen of her, uh, she has and what I know of her, she has imposter syndrome. She was always worried every minute. She was terrified that we were going to see that she was an impostive, an impostor. She did not know what she was doing as vice president. She was always laughing because she couldn't believe that she was vice president. You know, she was still still kind of trying to get over this. Really they elected me vice well, and then they elected Harris exactly exactly so, because she was just all over the place and making word salad and her and her body movement sort of reflected that Trump. Trump differs. You know, sometimes he is more expressive. He certainly is very facially expressive. You can tell what he was thinking, and you know, sometimes he's purposely facially expressive, like he wants you to know that he's like rolling his eyes, you know. And uh, and so it's it's always it's kind of different in different circumstances. But when he's more when he's the more serious he is, the more the less he uses his body, you know, the less the less he is demonstrating things with his body and the other than like to make with his hands to make a point or whatever.
Speaker 3: You know.
Speaker 6: But but but some when he's really serious, he's more in his head and isn't really doing that much body wise.
Speaker 1: Well, well, what what I notice he's doing? And you talk about Elon Musk doing this at a press conference. Doctor Lieberman the other day said moving his hands far apart to show that he's open and then closing them together. And I see Donald Trump do that quite a bit when he's speaking and he's using his hands.
Speaker 3: Uh.
Speaker 1: However, I mean, I see these other politicians that they used to have the thing with the thumb just sticking out of the fist. What does that say to people? And I'm so glad I'm not seeing anybody Clinton did that, and uh, and I think one of the Bushes did that when they were speaking they you know, you know what I'm talking about, Just have the fist with the thumb just kind of sticking out and reaching out to people. What what does that kind of a body motion say.
Speaker 6: Well, you mean like people, Yeah, but it's it's not.
Speaker 1: It's not pointing. And you see, especially Bill Clinton when he was talking in public do that or making a campaign speech, he had his his hand kind of fisted up and the thumb is just barely sticking out and he used it and in like a forward motion to make a point. What does that say?
Speaker 6: Well, a closed fist, especially, you know, pushing it out is an angry movement, is a you know, it's it's uh, it's like you better listen to me kind of thing.
Speaker 1: Uh huh. That's what I got from it. Well, it's interesting stuff. I usually don't even think about it, but as I was reading the material for this conversation, I started thinking about that Oval Office press conference we've been talking about from the majority of the time, and how it always, even though Elon was standing up, you could tell who the president was and who was in charge, and it's Donald Trump. And it's nice to know that the person who was elected president is actually in charge. And running the country as opposed to what we lived with the previous four years with Joe Biden, where it was obvious, it was clearly obvious that all he was doing was signing what they told him to sign. Trump is signing. Trump is signing executive orders and pursuing an agenda that is his and the people who voted for his agenda, Well, Biden was pursuing someone's agenda. I don't know who it was, but I don't believe it was the American people.
Speaker 6: I believe it was Obama.
Speaker 1: Yeah, did Obama have Did Obama have powerful body language? I thought he was very charismatic.
Speaker 6: Well, yes, he was definitely charismatic, but it was you know, it was all an act. It was all I mean, he was doing like look up here, while there's all these other things going on down there, What was they going to say? I was going to say something about it was interesting also in the in the debates, like I analyzed the debate with Trump and Kamala and jd Vance and uh Waltz, and Waltz was interesting because he was so nervous, you know, he was like it was like a barrel of monkeys, so jittery and and Vance. You know, I describe Vance as like the captain of a ship, very self confident, very calm. You know, you don't really. Body language is very interesting because the same uh motion, or the same you know, putting body parts in different places the same way can mean different things depending upon the context and depending upon what's being said, and so so you have to kind of take it all in in in the particular context that it's in, you know. But but yes, I think I think we can we can feel, you know, there and with with Trump and Elon, there is there was then, and there still is. All this controversy or criticism that that really Elon's running the show. People are trying to say, which of course isn't true. And yes, these examples show that it wasn't true with that particular press conference, but just in general, it's not true. He's just you know, he's happy to have Elon right, not just for his money, but but for his I mean, Elon is brilliant, and Trump is happy to use him in these particular places. But no Trump, he can never be president Elon and.
Speaker 1: No Carol, doctor Lieberman, thank you so much, America's psychiatrist body language expert, Doctor Carol Lieberman on the show tonight, and we appreciate your help. Thank you. You're welcome, right, you got it, Welcome to the night Cap into another hour on this Monday President's Night on seven hundred W l W. Gary Jeff Up. Next is I get these pitches all the time from these pr firms that are plugging authors who have books, and they want to get the word out that this material is out there so you will buy it or be interested in it. But I saw this and I said, this is something that I definitely have wanted to explore, and we have it in great detail on this show anyway. And so tonight our guest is Adam Goussot Gusso. Is am I right, Adam, Adam Gusso, I'm just learning Adam Gusso, who is a Princeton educated guy. And it's a book out called My Family and I a Mississippi memoir, And what it tackles is Adam's families struggle in what is still sadly a racially fractured world, at least ideologically in some people's minds. But the real living tells another story than what we are being fed about. The race divides in America in twenty twenty five and to talk about that and white privilege and h bomb Ferguson and all the rest of it. Here's Adam Gusso, how are you doing, Adam.
Speaker 3: I'm doing great, Gary, Thank you so much for having me on your show. You know, when you invite a professor on, what we do is we do some research. And so I was curious about WLW and discovered that you guys, I mean, I guess at one point you were the big one. But literally in the late thirties, five hundred thousand wats of power they had.
Speaker 1: They were given special dispensation from the government to have a five hundred thousand watt transmitter that was here in Mason At which is just outside of Cincinnati, and the Voice of America Tower and that whole part. It was only utilized for a couple of years as a test. And I'm surprised they did not have it turned on during World War Two when there could have been a real need to have the big One blasting out into Europe for the troops for information and news from home. But it's still with its fifty thousand watt clear channels signal. It still stretches into almost thirty eight states at night and Puerto Rico and is ubiquitous on the AM dial and it is still the big one.
Speaker 3: I'm quite sure that when I was the little, the ten to twelve year old with the old early fifties zenus, you know, record player radio, I was at night, I would go and you know the sounds that young people today don't know, and I heard c KLW out of like Hamilton, Ontario, whatever it was. But I'm sure that I heard you guys. So it's I just want to say, it's a huture honor to be with you today.
Speaker 1: Well, it's great to have us and with all this power, I know that at least a few people are listening. So let's let's talk about your path that has led you to this book. You're a professor, You were educated, You got a degree from Princeton. Is that right? Tell me more about Yeah.
Speaker 3: I'm actually I'm I'm kind of one of those over educated fools. I was an undergrad at Princeton.
Speaker 1: I was the.
Speaker 3: Towny in my local day school in a little downstate New York town. But I went to Yeah, I went in as electrical engineer. Wanted to be working with musicians actually, which is funny because I mean I've become a musician as well as professor. I took some time off, worked in New York for a while, went back to graduate school at Columbia, and then dropped out and became a street musician, which is a sort of unusual career. Arc you were busky, became a busker. I was busking. I busted over and in Paris, I spoke a little bit of you know, high school French that I had to navigate the streets of Paris and ended up coming back. In the fall of eighty six, I ended up driving through Harlem. I was a writing tutor in this bombed out South Bronx, that of the imagination, you know, the South Bronx that was truly bombed out. Yeah, And I was driving through Harlem. And I write about this actually in the second quarter of my book, because I ended up stopping and playing with an older black guitar player that everybody was calling Satan, which sounds unbelievable, and so I first day I heard his name, I said, well, Satan and Adam, I mean my we could play. It turned out we played for more than thirty years after that.
Speaker 1: Did he offer you an apple at any time.
Speaker 3: No, okay, funny, he goes, So how about a hand for the young man. When I played the first song that I played, and I talk about this moment in the book, we played a song and traffic stopped. This is Harlem in nineteen eighty six.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's just.
Speaker 3: Before Howard Beach. It's just before I mean, New York is a racially tense place, and Howard Beach was. There was a sort of racial murder out in John Gotti's neighborhood in Queens, but everybody was great. I mean, this is the I think. One thing I learned playing for four years part time as a Harlem street musician in my late twenties was I learned that black folks like white folks. White folks get along with black folks, that, in fact, if you actually get down on the ground level and it's just people talking to people, that in fact people want to have conversations. I still remember there was a guy who said, man, I'm from West Virginia, and then he thought I would know about country music, and like I was a you know, a white blues guy, right, I mean that's what I was. But what it did for me, and this is at the heart of my book. I began to read I mean, he's reading a lot of black lit, but I read a book by a couple of scholars that was about beloved community or beloved community, about Martin Luther King and his conception. We hear that phrase, you know, not to hope my children are judged not by the color of their skin, by the content of their character. But also John Lewis, to the end of his life, had this same vision. It was the vision honestly of Snake, which was a pretty hard left progressive civil rights sort of brotherhood in the early sixties, but it was black and white together. People forget that because black power kind of displaced that. By the mid sixties sixty six it began to come in. People forget that early day, early days with the interlock hands and we shall overcome and I and now everybody trivializes it was o kumbaya. But what if you actually try to live that vision? And that's that was a foundation. It's one of the frames that I think really helps people get a handle on my book what happened to that vision and why? Because by two thousand and three, I'll just say my book begins with a kind of train wreck in which this this young professor trained in African American studies. I went back to Princeton and did a dissertation on blues and Southern violence. But I was interested in racial healing. You know, in the in the in the Clinton years in the late nineties, there was a lot of talk about racial healing, racial reconciliation, that term racial healing. It was Clinton's initiative on race right, and it was in the aftermath of Rodney King and the LA riots or uprising, whatever you want to call it. So I was interested in that stuff, and there was one quadrant of it that really unnerved But I thought, if you're a researcher, you should go and investigate, which was when white folks get together on the hard left and go into these training workshops. This is something everybody became familiar with in the summer of twenty twenty. What I saw it at work in two thousand and three and I ended up were all it was all white people, and it was two trainers, and we were instructed in what I've come to understand really is kind of intersectional stuff, which is to set or the intersectional stack. If you have progressive listeners. They've heard this term, which means basically, if you're white, and you're male, and you're older, and you're presumptively upper class. I was a working class kid, but I had gone to Princeton, which is sort of upper class, meaning right attached to it. Anyway, I ended up basically finding myself. I was a researcher who said, well, I'm coming to participate in good faith, but I found myself in the center of what. I didn't have the term struggle session. I only heard that much later when that began to happen in the summer of twenty twenty. And beyond those sort of training sessions, well, a struggle session is when everybody's they say, basically, you're going to sit here and shut up. You're not going to say a word, and everybody, for as long as they want it's going to go around the circle and tell tell you how you hurt them. And I mean, what I talk about in my book is sitting there and letting that happen, and then suddenly thinking back to my days as a street musician in Harlem and the brotherhood i'd had with Sterling and his wife and traveling on the road for eight years where you are a family, and I thought in Harlem, there's no way in the world anybody who would let themselves be silenced. And I ended up getting angry, which I think is an instructive lesson. This is the beginning of the book. This is like the prologue, saying this way doesn't work when we're judging everybody that way, right, when we're not really interested in the gray areas, We're not really interested in the subtleties. We're not trying to create brotherhood. We're not trying to create a community of like minded souls who are struggling to get better. We're struggling when we're doing something else. There's something very wrong and diseased. I had always thought to myself. I grew up in a progressive family. My dad was a delegate for McGovern He worked for Bobby Kennedy in Oregon. You know that I was that kind of guy. But I think this shocked me and I put it away. I got married to my beloved Sherry Black, Texan, had a son, did my part to sort of make the world a better place. I've never been an activist, but I you know, in my teaching. I try to teach the truths of black history when when they're irrelevant. Well, but I think in the summer of twenty twenty, I suddenly felt like something was really seriously off. And so I'm one of those you could call me the liberal who sort of moves a step to the towards the center when he realizes people are getting crazy on the right. Doesn't mean people aren't can't be crazy on the sorry crazy on the left. It doesn't mean they can't be crazy on the far right.
Speaker 1: Well, they certainly are. I mean I know people on the right who are certainly crazy, and I have seen demonstrations of people on the left or supposedly on the left, being definitely insane, especially since January twentieth. So so what I'm seeing here and what I'm gleaning from all of this, Adam, is that you can be a fan and a friend of that brotherhood and show that and you are an activist. You're an activist for good if you just embrace the fact that we're all human beings. We may come from different places and look differently, but we all have the same basic wants and needs, and we need and we need love, and we need belonging, and we need all of those things. So if you practice that, whether you're vocal or not, you are in fact an activist, right yeah, And.
Speaker 3: I think, yeah, so the word maybe I don't think of myself as an activist, but I it's a funny way you could say that I was living my anti racism. That's a word again, but I don't. I don't like because of the way it's been sort of used and twisted. But I was sort of living that idea that we're just people and we're gonna we're projecting in the face of a world, by the way, that does have a lot of people at each other's throws, and sometimes the race is a part of that. Race gets used. So there's a lot of us in the middle somewhere. And one of the ways of thinking about my book is I'm telling you the story about enormy interracial family and contemporary Mississippi. Now, just to phrase it like that, you go, wait a minute, Mississippi isn't that didn't I just read write Thompson's book The Barn about Emmett tells Lynching, and I did, well, I did, And it's a great book, but it's only half a story. And if you only have Mississippi Burning and the movie Crossroads, which I've written about and talked about. It's a fun movie with Ralph Maccio and Seneca. But if you only have those things, well, here's the thing. Nobody ever writes the book that I've written. In other words, people is so interesting, Gary? Is that people? One thing I discovered when I finished my book I had I had taught a course here at Ole, miss on interracial family memoirs. I was interested in the idea. I hadn't even thought about writing my own book, but I James McBride's The Color of Water, a black son's you know, homage to his white mother. There was this. I mean, there's a whole tradition. It's interesting. There's quite a few books out there. And I taught a course on that none of the books were written by white men. And I thought that that's kind of strange. Maybe I just missed something. So I so, when once I finished my book, I went looking. I thought, surely in the fifty seven years since Loving the Virginia right, And I mean i'd seen the movie Loving my Wife, and I went and saw it. Great to have that movie with Richard loving and Mildred loving and a sort of an interracial relationship that was that began basically or I was born nineteen fifty eight, but by nineteen sixty seven it was at the Supreme Court. What I discovered is that I could only find one other book in the category of I guess the acronym is WM slash b W white man, black woman. You heard these strange acronyms. I'll tell you in a minute. Well, it turns out there's a whole tradition. By the way, if you were to google BWWM, what you'd find is there's a flourishing tradition of black women white man romances, all of them written by black women. It's interesting. So there's a whole market out there. But if you're talking about a book written by Richard Lovin to talk about his wife, Mildred and their family, there's only one that I could find, and interestingly enough, it was by the former senator and defense the head of a defense department, William Cohen. Of all things, he had a book called Love in Black and White. He got married later in his life to a black news kind of news anchor, Janet Langhart, and a wonderful book, and I believe.
Speaker 1: It or not.
Speaker 3: I said, you know, I'm going to track him down and email him, and you never hear back from people. By god, he gave me a GAMI and endorsement. It's just he was awfully nice. I think that that service thing really helps any case. So I'm one way to think about my book is I'm trying to just give you that story, which you never get coming out of Mississippi.
Speaker 4: You get.
Speaker 3: If it's a race, story's going to be violence, that's going to be racism. It's going to be that stuff. And ours we have, I mean, you know, there's a few small things, but we basically live a really happy life. And one of the main focuses is on my son Sean, who's now a freshman at Ole miss He's a music performance major, and there's actually strong elements of comedy in the portrait that I offer of him, because he is a gifted, musically gifted kid. Not blues, he's not. He's uninterested in the harmonica, but he plays everything else. You know, I'm a I'm a harmonica players, but he plays horn. So he's now he's a trombone player and a euphonium player with perfect pitch. I mean the choir's two his voice, it's quite crazy, and he plays John Phillips's And so one of the stories I tell, just one, remember that the whole period in twenty it's like twenty twenty, twenty nineteen, when they were tearing down monuments. I mean it got to the point where right where, you know, and Abraham Lincoln is like the slave or the slave whatever, Abraham Lincoln, I mean, nobody survived. Right. So in Old miss we have in Oxford, we have two Confederate monuments, and the one that was on campus got moved to the Confederate Battlefield of Confederate what do you call it? Got moved to a place not in the main part of campus. And so that was fine, but there's one downtown. There's a conduct Confederate soldier. My son goes out to bust with his trombone and he gets right in front of that statue and he plays. He calls me on his iPhone. He's been out there for fifteen minutes, and he you know, he busts from time to time, but that summer when everybody's like they're marching around these things, he gets out nobody's marching that day, and he plays John Phillips, and he plays the Darth Vader Imperial March, and he plays the kinds of things people and the almost fight song. He calls me up, he goes dance. Somebody stopped their car, got out and gave me one hundred dollars bill. Huh, that's not a story that Faulkner's going to tell you about a mixed race. No.
Speaker 1: So I just want to get her. I want to get your opinions on this. Talking to Adam Gusso again, the book is My Family and I a Mississippi memoir. This this thing that happened in the mid sixties where it went from the message of Martin Luther King to black power, and you had people who were they tried to segregate the civil rights movement more or less is what they did actually. So it was a do you think, just your opinion, do you think this was a nefarious attempt by Marxist who want to destroy our country?
Speaker 3: I do.
Speaker 1: I I to make something to make something a race war that's really about something else, to use RA as a tool.
Speaker 3: They some of them were Marxists. They were thinking they were framing what was happening in America, these the liberation movements in other countries and sort of African countries getting decolonized. I think, look what I do know, And if I'm reading the biography of John Lewis right now by Greenberg, one of the things that's interesting is that Fanny lou Hamer and John Lewis were very much and Bob Moses, all three of them were. They wanted to keep the interracialist element of the civil rights movement, but there was a lot of anger. Interestingly enough, the anger kind of burst to the surface, like right after the Voting Rights Act of nineteen sixty five, when WATS goes up. So there's a way in which when you achieved some of the really significant victories of the civil rights movement, then there's a lot of anger that hasn't been addressed at There's still a lot of inequality at that point. But what was clear was that there was a tension within the civil rights movement itself between those who wanted to keep things kind of transracial on those who wanted to go another way. And I think historically, I mean, black power emerges in the summer of sixty six in Greenwood, Mississippi, when Stokely Carmichael is on a march there at the end by the Wayland. This should it's this march on fear and James Meredith, who does the wonderful thing at Ole, miss in retrospect in sixty two. He's doing another march in sixty six, and he gets shot down by a white guy with a rifle just as he enters Mississippi. So the march continues and King and Carmichael and lots of others come. It's an interesting, fascinating historical moment. But that's the moment in which Carmichael throws that phrase black power. We need black power, black power, black power, and it transfixes the national press, and it's sort of all over at that point for that transracial ideal. And I think one of my arguments is that we might want to go back and take a look and see if there's some important remnants there. And I do think that interracial families a contemporary America are one place where King's dream is being lived out. I know I'm not alone. I'm sure your audience there are people probably sitting by their radios right now going I've never heard anybody talk about interracial families. They should be doing that.
Speaker 1: Absolutely, they are a reality, and I just I want to get to the point where we're not talking bw WM, We're just talking about men and women. I agree, because that's all it is. I mean that the amount of melanin in your skin shouldn't matter to anybody, and it doesn't matter to my son.
Speaker 3: I mean, this is the funny thing. In fact, I'm going to tell you something that's not in the book. But there was only one time when I saw a shadow across my son's face. It's very interesting. My wife, by the ways, read the book and everything, and it is fine with her. My son, I thought, well, he probably ought to know there's a book in which he's kind of a character. And so at one point he I said, well take a look at this, you know, and he began to read and number one he said, well you really you captured people's voices. And then he got to the point where I'm talking about his application to the Interlock and Arts Academy. Basically, if you're a Mississippi band kid you want to break out into the big time, you could go to a couple of places, but Interlock, in which is in rural Michigan, just below Traverse City. That was like one of the places. And I knew that he had a shot because he was a he's a great player. But I did something that I was embarrassed about ultimately, which is kind of I knew that a biracial kid from Mississippi was going to be absolutely irresistible to the folks who were letting people into this camp. It was a pretty progressive camp and a school, and I just knew they were going to jump jump on him. But I didn't. I shouldn't have used that, but I did, and he got in. He was third chair out of five in the euphonium, which is like his other instruments. I say, But when he was reading it, he read it and he looked at me. His face dropped. He goes, I didn't did I did? I just get in because I'm in Mississippi and I'm and I'm biracial. And it was like I thought, oh crap, because I really had felt awkward in the aftermath. But when he read it's the only time, which tells you something. It tells you that young people today mix, call them mixed kids, call them whoever they are, but young I think young people don't want to feel. They want to feel they've gotten there by virtue of their character, in his case, his musical character, and he was good enough. And I so it's one of the moments in the book where I kind of if I used the word woke very often, it's just not a word I like to use because it kind of reifies something that's a little more complicated. But it's a place where I I hewed to the to the woke script. I knew that that would help him to tip in if you will, and I and I felt bad at the bad and at the aftermath of it, and now I I recognize.
Speaker 1: Adam, Adam, I am sorry. We're we're out of time here. We didn't even get a chance to talk about h bomb.
Speaker 5: Uh.
Speaker 1: Maybe maybe we'll schedule another interview so we can just talk about your connections to Cincinnati. Adam Gusso, the author, My Family and I a Mississippi memoir, and I think it's must read for anybody who thinks that, you know, we're really that different and we're that far apart, because there's no need to give.
Speaker 3: And I really hope it does.
Speaker 1: It should it should, It should give people Hope, Thank you Adam, Thank you Gary so much. We haven't quite concluded our little lap yet. More of the Nightcap as we wrap it up. Coming up after the next break on seven hundred WLW. Tony Piker looking for a smart way to upgrade your ride, your Special Forces green beret, founder of Silver Corp USA, a private security firm specializing in high risk operations. And we're going to be talking about our relationship with South America here in the United States and what has occurred, of course with President Trump now being our president again, and you know, just talking about maybe liberating Latin America and Latin America is all in favor of US assistants, especially when it comes to something as crucial as getting rid of Maduro in Venezuela, the dictator there who has disrupted so much of not only his country but the rest of the Americas with the release of prisoners and the people fleeing Venezuela because they don't want to live under Communists or Marxist dictatorship, and they're all they seemingly not all, but a majority of Latin and South American countries would like to see Madua gone, and they would welcome the us help in making that happen. And the guy who can tell me one way or another if I'm on target with this as our guest, Jordan Gudreau. How are you doing, Jordan?
Speaker 4: Great?
Speaker 3: How are you done doing?
Speaker 1: Fantastic, sir, So. United States has been looked at as a world leader and still as a world leader around the globe, but especially on this side of the globe. In Latin America, countries like Columbia, Brazil, Argentina, Chile, Chile, Mexico want the US to actually use our military to depose Maduro in Argentina. That's a majority of people in all of those countries. What are the prospects of that happening and what would it mean? Yeah, I mean it's really difficult.
Speaker 8: Obviously, four years ago, there was a big push when President Trump was in office. He wanted to do something decisive in Venezuela, and obviously people and you know, I guess agencies CIA namely wanted a different method to try to fix the Venezuela problem, and so there was a lot of Because of that, nothing really came of the Venezuela problem four years ago. Now when you fast forward, by the administration really did nothing and so now President Trump, he's kind of faced with a similar problem. However, what has changed is the people around him. He now trusts in the CIA. Obviously, when he was in office four years ago, it was Gina Haspell. Now you've got people he can trust. You've got Tulsea Gabbert coming in in charge of the intelligence community, You've got you'll have individuals in place in the State Department that will help President Trump facilitate his strategic will in Venezuela. But I think it's going to take time to figure out what that is going to be, what it's going to look like. Obviously President Trump doesn't have a lot of trust for a lot of the individuals who I guess would be labeled the Venezuelan opposition government, and so it's going to take time to develop those connections and develop trust between the Venezuelan opposition government and the Trump administration.
Speaker 1: Is there a danger of just making things worse? Because we're well aware that the CIA has used in their dark ups assassinations to overthrow governments and have worked covertly to overthrow foreign governments, And in many cases, we created more of a mess than we solved, And there's always a danger of that isn't there.
Speaker 8: There is, But you also have to realize the last decade the CIA has really been ex accuting, you know, their own foreign policy. They have had a strange autonomy that is not normal. I guess I would say, when when you have a sitting president, like obviously four years ago, a sitting president who has who has a an intent for a country and for a relationship with the country, and the CIA essentially works against that president, that provides an interesting set of problems.
Speaker 4: So when we fast forward now.
Speaker 8: We again we see that anything that the CIA, and this is this would be what we would see now is a CIA under the control of a new administration. They would no longer have the autonomy that they had back four years ago. They would be bending to the will of the president's President Trump. So I think that opens up a whole set of options that were available four years ago.
Speaker 1: What do you think about the other many people will say imperial kind of imperialist kind of bents that President Trump has displayed in some of his comments, say about Greenland and about Canada, and just I know you were focusing on the Latin America situation in Venezuela in particular. But Greenland is a very important strategic island. Sure, with Russia and China both trying to get not only the resources that are the natural resources that are under Greenland, but also from a strategic standpoint, Greenland is maybe the most important apple of Trump's eye, isn't it. I mean, that's that's a crucially important area of the globe.
Speaker 3: Right.
Speaker 8: So let's go back to the Monroe doctrine. Essentially, just a paraphrase, Monroe doctrine essentially said that we want to have i know, foreign obviously no enemies uh in our hemisphere. And so that applies to Greenland and South America. And so we have largely adhere to this doctrine over the you know, minus the last decade. For some reason, we have been giving up ground to our enemies, obviously China, uh. And you see that in Brazil, in Argentina. You see that in the economic wars and the economic control of countries like Canada, and so obviously Brazil is a member of the Bricks Nations, Argentine has several you know, mining contracts with China. Argentina is doing the same sort of business, and so it's a real problem for the United States. And so when when there's rhetoric that's that's talked about on social media or the mainstream media that that basically, uh, you know, antagonizes or is bad to Trump Donald Trump because he's basically saying we need to control these areas.
Speaker 1: It's really wrong.
Speaker 8: Essentially, at the national strategic President Trump's job is to protect the United States and protect us from military threat economic threats. The only way he can do that militarily is to have that white space that adheres to the Monroe doctrine. We need to control Greenland because it is white space. White space is essentially it is area, a geographic area where we can stage and we can be sure that enemies are not staging military forces, same as South America. I don't know if you caught it, but two months ago there was you know, Russian subs in the Caribbean Sea and they were getting refueled in Venezuela. I think in Cuba, this constitutes white space for our enemies. Is contrary to the Mouroe doctrine.
Speaker 1: Well, we need to pursue them Inroe doctrine. Again, it was a good policy, just not because we want to expand the country. We just want to keep ours safe America first. Once again, Jordan goodru, thank you for your time, and this bears some more conversation and maybe we can have it a later date.
Speaker 4: All right, thank you, sir, appreciate.
Speaker 1: It, Thank you, sir.
Speaker 4: You bet.
Speaker 1: We'll wrap up with the wild Man. Well, jolt of the wild Man here on a Monday night seven under WLW the Wildman, the aforementioned wild Man, who, yes, I still owe him a dollar from the Super Bowl and he's gonna get his dollar. Maybe I'd try to talk him into coming to the after the show show anniversary party on March fifteenth, but we well, we'll work that out. But I'd like to make a special presentation of the dollar that I owe wild Man for my chiefs losing the Super Bowl. There are some other big sporting events that have been going on this week and have gone on this week that we wanted to cover tonight. Wildman. First, in the four nation hockey playoff tournament that's been going on between US, Canada and Finland and who else Russia or Sweden, Sweden?
Speaker 3: Sweden?
Speaker 1: Okay, so uh, the US hockey team was booed in Canada. What the hell is going on there?
Speaker 4: Well you tell me, we'll both know.
Speaker 9: I mean, the PA announcer said, you know, please be respectful before.
Speaker 1: They even started the national athemm.
Speaker 9: As soon as the guy started singing our national athm, the fans started booing keep politics out of sports. I don't care if you don't agree with what's going on in Washington, d C. With these Canucks, but you don't boo.
Speaker 3: You don't boo.
Speaker 1: They boo the whole time the guy was singing. So we know what that did though for t wus say, okay, we'll stick.
Speaker 4: It to you.
Speaker 9: We'll have three fights in the first nine seconds and kick your ass and they'll go out there and kick your ass and beat you in Canada.
Speaker 1: Well, uh, I think it's a little it's it's especially disrespectful considering they're gonna be our fifty first state soon. I mean, they're gonna they're gonna feel you know, they're gonna have egg on their their faces when the moose gets loose and Donald Trump decides to go ahead and pull the trigger there and make Canada our fifty first state. I don't know that we want people like that. We've already got enough problems in this country without recruiting these these angry, disrespectful Canucks, don't.
Speaker 3: We You got that right?
Speaker 1: I mean, I just I was.
Speaker 9: I was so mad when I heard him boring, and you know, I thought, come on, people, I mean, just like I said, keep politics out of sports. You know, it's just it's just there's no there's no need for just that's just classless. It's just totally classless. And I was so glad that the uh, the Team USA, you know, whipped their ass. They really did whip their ass on the ice on both ends, fighting and playing hockey.
Speaker 1: Now, now Canada are aren't Aren't they gonna play again?
Speaker 3: Wild man?
Speaker 4: Yes?
Speaker 1: They played that well, they played. They played early this afternoon.
Speaker 9: Okay, so there, so there's a chance we could meet again on Thursday.
Speaker 4: For the title.
Speaker 1: All right, all right? And the games are going on in both Canada and the United States. When they're a game in Boston today, is that right?
Speaker 9: Uh, there's a game, and there's a game going on.
Speaker 1: Well, I'm not going to tell you to score.
Speaker 9: There's a game going on in Boston, Team USA and Sweden.
Speaker 1: All right, right now, okay, so what what about the NBA All Star Game? I'm never I've never been a fan of all Star games. Baseball. Yes, that's about the only major sport all Star game that I actually enjoy watching from time to time because you get to see a lot of players and a lot of pitchers, and there's a definite strategy, and there is something at stake for the winning league, or there used to be. And one of the worst things that ever happened at All Star games was the year the Bud Sea League declared that there would be a tie that was the most dissatisfying and I mean a disservice to the All Star Game in Major League Baseball. I like Major League Baseball All Star games. I've not watched an NBA All Star Game. Of course, this four team tournament we were just talking about is taking the place of the NHL All Star Game this year. And you know, the Pro bowls just a joke. But do you agree with me that MLB's All Star Game is by far the best of any of the major sports.
Speaker 9: Oh, it's still the best. Yeah, it's still the best. When the Sea League did that time, he declared it a tie at the All Star Game in Milwaukee, me and my son were there. My son was only like twelve, eleven years old. Remember the comment, now I've seen everything, Dad.
Speaker 1: From eleven year old.
Speaker 9: Well, from a tie game, and then they decided to make it if he won the game, it would be home field advantage. And then that that didn't go over either. So now it's just, you know, it's it's just the All Star Game and you get to see, you know, the best players.
Speaker 1: But the NBA All Star Game, Gary Jeff, back in the day.
Speaker 9: I don't want to sound like a little you know, back in the day it was worth watching, it really was. But now with a three point shot and the guys just fired at three pointers and some don't even want to be there. And then they changed the format, which I didn't understand at all. And then the last night was just it was the.
Speaker 1: Lowest of the low.
Speaker 9: They had comic Kevin Hart out there for I don't know what is from what his deal was, but that guy is not funny anymore, and he just looked out of place, and like a lot of the players looked like they were like, what is going on here?
Speaker 1: You making these wise cracks And it was just dumb.
Speaker 4: It was just dumb.
Speaker 1: What role did Kevin Hard play in the NBA All Star game. I thought this was for NBA players.
Speaker 9: He was just like like a like the like an assistant MC announcer, and he was, you know, making comments during the game and before the game, and it was just it was just bad.
Speaker 3: I mean.
Speaker 4: And then you know Lebron James, you know, I mean, the.
Speaker 9: Guys, the guy is great, but he didn't play, and he didn't let anybody know until the last minute. Well, you know that that's kind of being selfish in a way because another guy could have played. So you know, he came out and walked out on the pub. I'm going to walked out on the deck there and waved to the crowd. But he didn't even play.
Speaker 1: The biggest star in the league and he doesn't play.
Speaker 9: And I understand that he's got an injury, but most of these guys don't want to play Garrit Jeff because their friend are gonna get hurt. I completed I to a three point shooting contest. Luckily, Steph Curry probably saved the day with the way the way he was banging down three pointers. I mean, that guy is unbelievable. I mean, there are no more works for a guy that can shoot three pointers like him.
Speaker 1: Well, I mean, so what was you remember the final score because it's always like one hundred and sixty to one hundred and forty or whatever. No, it wasn't like now they only played to like forty.
Speaker 9: I think it was like the first team to win for you get the four because they played like three different cut of three different rounds, team Team Shack and Team Charles.
Speaker 1: It was just dumb.
Speaker 3: You know what.
Speaker 1: The highlight of the no no, hold on, hold on, hold on. It wasn't like the Eastern Conference versus the Western cons Oh, I didn't know that. That's how out of touch I am with the NBA. Old, you're not missing that, You're not missing nothing.
Speaker 9: Just the highlight though, was they picked they picked out a fan with the stands to participate in a in a half court a contest with I can't remember the player's name, but they were throwing half court shots. He made the let just as time went out. This kid made the shot.
Speaker 1: Were one hundred thousand dollars. Oh that's great.
Speaker 4: That that Oh it was great.
Speaker 3: And Shaq was there.
Speaker 5: Shaq was there.
Speaker 1: They were all just jumping up and down of his crazy I can watch that on YouTube without wasting any time watching the rest of that garbage. Wild Man, listen, I got to run, brother, but thank you so much. And your dollar is coming better?
Speaker 3: Are you better? I don't know.
Speaker 9: I got maybe, he said Moosa Roco to get it.
Speaker 1: I gotta frame it for you because you're not going to spend this dollar. It's it's a special.
Speaker 3: I got a perfect place to hang.
Speaker 1: Not every not everybody wins a bet with Gary Jeff Walker, Thank you, wild Man. With that, we conclude the nightcap with the playing of our national anthem to honor America. Canadians shut Up.