Speaker 1: Al alrighty, let's get started with today's Minnesota Goodbye. Thank you for listening. If you've never tuned in, tuned in, hey, you nobody tunes in anymore, you know what I mean. It's like you don't tune into a podcast in. And then people used to say, don't touch that dial. You remember that phrase, don't touch that dial, Yeah, which meant don't touch that radio dial. But it used to be a literal dial, but now it's anything is spinny thing. Yeah. And now everything's numerical or digital or whatever.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but we still use the pictures of the old stuff to like explain that.
Speaker 1: No, it's true. I like that. Eh, let's see what we got ha Minnesota goodbye, Mike writes in Hello my radio family. Love you guys. You're like my family perspective. Maybe this because I'm a little bit older than your target demo. If I go to a concert, if you are not on the stage performing, shut it. I did not pay money one has to pay to go to a concert to hear you scream sing the songs. Yes, it's great to be so intense and dedicated fans of your favorite artists. Great, please continue to do so. If you would don't have to. This is a request please listen to the artist sing. You don't have to prove your fan worthiness by competing with said artists during the performance. They are doing as always, Thank you my wonderfuls for doing what you do, and bless so many just for being you. No dart lick here, all right, that is Mike, I would probably kind of agree with that one. I would say probably the worst, or probably the Taylor Swift concert people who have to show their allegiance to their cult leader. Because Taylor Swift fans are kind of like a cult. They'll buy thousand dollars seats, they'll buy one thousand dollars, this, thousand dollars this, whatever, They'll buy their friendship bracelets, and then they scream sing the songs I knew you were travel away and you walk yeah, to show their loyalty to the cult leader.
Speaker 3: Sure, or do you think that they want to a concert to sing the songs, because that's what you do at a concert, You sing the song that artist.
Speaker 1: I mean or that yeah, one of the other death Man.
Speaker 3: I'm sorry, I don't agree with this at all. I think everyone should be allowed to sing songs at a concert. That's the point of a concert.
Speaker 2: There is it?
Speaker 1: Is it?
Speaker 3: It is the point to go to a concert and sing along with your favorite songs. You're studying money to go see an artist, and right now ticket prices are obnoxious.
Speaker 1: I would disagree with you, but I see your point that I don't think that the point of going to a concert is to scream sing along. A concert is to watch your favorite artists perform. And if I am sitting there, let's say I'm going to the Taylor Swift concert and I can't wait until she does. I know you, and then you get up. You got a beer in one hand, you got your arm around your stupid, loud, drunken girlfriend, and you're both singing ANI and you're scream singing it. I can't hear Taylor Swift. You are ruining my enjoyment of the show.
Speaker 3: I feel like everyone screams singing, though at that point it's not one person over the other you're hearing. You're just hearing an entire chorus of people in the crowd.
Speaker 1: Who's right, Bailey, I don't know.
Speaker 2: I think there are times to scream sing at a concert, but I wouldn't say that is the entire concert.
Speaker 1: Okay, let's say you're gonna go see who's a more mellow kind of an artist. Maybe you're gonna go see John Mayer. I don't know you see John May. Can you go see John Mayer and he's doing an acoustic set? Are you singing really loud along with John Mayer? Because you're there to scream sing? No, I want to hear John Mayer sing. I don't want to hear you. And that's why you're not scream singing.
Speaker 2: I will scream sing when they take their microphone and they pointed at the audience, well, because clearly they want us to sing there, or like at a build up of like here's where the beat drops, I will yell out the like beat drop line. Potentially, I think.
Speaker 1: That I think you and I will differ in a basic fundamental of concert going. I think a concert is to watch and listen to your artists perform, like, oh my god, they're doing this just at this one time for this audience. Do you go to your niece's band concert and there she is lead clarinet doing Frosty the Snowman. Are you standing up going Frosty?
Speaker 2: No?
Speaker 1: Because you are there to watch the band play no the end.
Speaker 3: Because I'm busy scrolling on my phone being like, what is this going to be?
Speaker 1: All right? What do you think? That's a really interesting debate. I don't disagree with really either side. I think if you're at a fun loud concert, sure then screams sing along, But at the same time, I kind of want to hear the artist. You know, they're the ones who sing the song. Yeah, okay, Sean wrights In says hello. I was listening to an older episode of The Minnesota Goodbye where Dave talked shit about the cherry and the spoon the Walker, and it reminded me of a funny story. I spent my first year of college at the Milwaukee Institute of Art and Design ten years ago. In a freshman illustration class. We had a fairly open ended assignment with a two week deadline. When the assignments are due, the class comes together to critique everyone's art. Most people had a beautiful drawing or painting after the two weeks, but one guy brought in four jars of bodily fluids and trimmings her toenails hair. One jar even had a little bit of jiz on the bottom. The heck the entire now it says what, oh okay, it's a guy. Okay, not a guy. It's a guy, not a woman. The entire class was pissed at his audacity for bringing in bullshit art after the rest of us worked our asses off. I just wanted Dave to know that even in institutions that trained the artist, that trained the artist to make art for places like the Walker, we see right through the lazy shit and really value art that takes talent. Happy holidays from Sean.
Speaker 3: Well, did he sorry at the beginning? Did he say what institution?
Speaker 1: This was at Milwaukee Institute of Art and Design and it was a freshman illustration class.
Speaker 2: Okay?
Speaker 3: I was gonna say, like, was is it one of those things where you were required to take a class to give you like libed requirements or whatever it is. But it sounds like he probably had to be taking that class for his major, so he shouldn't care. The person who brought the jiz thing, Yeah, the jizz.
Speaker 1: Thing, Yeah, wow, really interesting. I'm glad that people will call people out on there being a limit to what that looks like that is spam. Here is Charisse, she says, Dave Bailey vant and Jenny is Charisse, I get a question for Dave and Jenny. I got COVID for the second time in August. Before I caught it again, I was at the gym four to five times a week, but afterward I never went back in. So remember she was in the gym four or five times a week. Now I'm ready to resume my workouts again. I was wondering if you guys have any tips for I can how I can stay motivated so I don't quit again after a week. Also, nothing to do with the workout question, but you guys were talking about well, let's cover one question at a time. So do you have any tips Jenny for staying motivated go to.
Speaker 2: The g H.
Speaker 3: Yes, I think that one of the biggest ones is just getting your ass out the door and into the gym, and then usually you can get yourself to work out. But the other one that I'm learning because I'm so sick of doing the same weight training and string training like recipe that I do. I just like go in and start doing something and then I figured it out from there. Like yesterday I did twenty minutes on the stair master, which I don't normally do. I'll do like a warm up or something, and for like five minutes and then you can I stop and ask.
Speaker 1: You a question, Yeah, what rate of stairs per minute do you usually put it on?
Speaker 3: I don't know what rate I do because you always ask me that. I just do levels, and every Staremaster is different, but.
Speaker 1: Usually they have a setting that'll tell you stairs steps per minute. Because if I played with the one at SNAP, it'll tell me the level. Level five is usually what I go on, and that's about forty eight steps per minute, but I get to dick around with it before it tells me the steps per minute.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I don't pay attention to check it out next time.
Speaker 1: I want to see whether I'm faster or slower than you usually at.
Speaker 3: Like for a warm up pace, I'm at like a ten on the StairMaster at the gym, but then like the StairMaster classes I go to at flight, I'm at like a six or seven and more so as like the warm up pace, So it just depends. But I would say go in and like, don't just do something to get started and then go from there, because sometimes when you have an idea in your head of like this workout, you're like God, that sounds miserable. Well, then don't do that. Just like do something to get started and keep moving after that and figure out what you want to do.
Speaker 1: I think part of it all. So I think that there are things at the gym that I really actually kind of enjoy, Like the stair master. I don't really love it, but it's easy, and I can listen to a podcast and I will get on the StairMaster and I'll listen to a podcast and exercise equipment like that. I don't mind it. It's the lifting and the goblet squads and the crazy all of that shit. I hate it. Yeah, but don't You can't just do cardio, Sure you can. You can absolutely just do cardio, but I try to mix it up. You should feel my thighs now, not literally, because I'm not going to ask you to feel my thighs because you're creepy. But my thighs are like.
Speaker 3: That, we're taking you off on a single offer of feeling your muscles. So why would I suddenly want to feel your thighs.
Speaker 1: My thighs are like rocks, they really are. Listen to this, I'll tap on it. Yeah that's my thigh.
Speaker 3: Wow, your thigh That was literally the bore that you just tapped your pen onto, you little deceiving bitch, you.
Speaker 1: Little deceiving crystal rites in Hello radio friends, I've listened to Fridays Minnesota Goodbye. I have the reach Outfitters deck of Cards. Now, remember we talked about this. This was cool. It is a scratch off deck of cards, and I think Bailey might have googled it, and it has different things to do in Minnesota, like Gooseberry Falls or Apostle Islands, like a.
Speaker 2: Bucket list for Minnesota things, and.
Speaker 1: It actually looked really cool. The cards are broken into categories like active dining, what season is best, how much time it will require, and the cost. All of that being said, I got of her black Friday twenty twenty three and I have not yet scratched a single one. No, many cities all across the state are included, not just the metro. It sounds cool to me, I don't miss. The problem is Susan is not an adventurer and she doesn't want to go to the Apostle Islands and go kayaking. She would be grudgingly yes. And I think that's one thing that is really it is difficult is finding somebody and I think in a relationship you should have the same sense of adventure. She really doesn't like adventure, and she's like, ah, my balance isn't what it used to be. And I'm like, you're letting yourself turn into an old person. Go out and do your thing.
Speaker 3: Okay, Well what does she do? Because we obviously we know what your hobbies are, what your interests are, because we work with you and we hear about them. But what does Susan like to do that potentially the two you could do together?
Speaker 1: Match three D? She likes to play Match three D.
Speaker 3: Okay, anything else?
Speaker 1: No, that's really all I like that. That's really all I can think of.
Speaker 3: I mean, do you guys, You guys will do like trivia nights sometimes. Yeah, that's something fun and simple and not dangerous. Doesn't have to risk her balance. Yeah, well, I don't know, if you're staying on a barstool, you might be a little wobbly there.
Speaker 1: But yeah, no, no, let's continue. Secondly, on the topic of breast milk brownies, this came up on the show if you missed it. Somebody made brownies for a pot luck and they somebody they raved about them, and somebody said how did you What do you put in these brownies? She's like, I put breast milk in them. So they feel free to pass on this question. I'm not trying to cross any boundaries, but since you said you've tasted Susan's breast milk, I can't help but wonder straight from the tap or already bottled straight from the tap? Oh, yeah, yeah, it's definitely straight from the tap.
Speaker 3: I'm the same.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you are the same.
Speaker 3: What straight from the tap isn't what you just said?
Speaker 1: Yeah, you tasted breast milk straight from the tap.
Speaker 3: No, I thought we were talking about water. I'm gonna be honest. I was reading an email from someone saying thank you for Christmas wish today, and so I thought we're talking about water. I would like to drink it straight from the tap. Though, what you're talking about.
Speaker 2: You've had it straight from the tap, Dave baby, obviously.
Speaker 1: Well, the interesting thing is with breast milk is if you squeeze your breast, it'll squirt in multi streams all over the place. You're looking at me like I'm making this same.
Speaker 2: No, I just wanted to. I want you to finish the story about you trying it.
Speaker 1: I don't really have much of the story. But but if a woman who is like lactating, if she takes her boobs and squeezes them, they'll spray in multiple streams, like all over the place.
Speaker 2: I like you doing with this.
Speaker 1: It's true, it's like and you don't squeeze the nipple.
Speaker 2: What did it taste like that?
Speaker 1: Kind of like butter like butter, like sweet sweet? It's sweet. It was very sweet, like crank buttery. Ye delicious.
Speaker 2: From the tap. Guys.
Speaker 1: Also, I know you've got no control over this, but the current commercial and repeat for Bartisian is the worst. I would take one hundred chumb of casino ads over that any day. I know it's a national commercial, but the way the guy says jollier sounds like vaunt. I don't know it. I'm sorry you put up with that. Final thoughts, what's the oddist gift somebody got you that showed how little they really knew you. I personally got a box of eight assorted can goods right from Crystal. Dated a girl one time when I was probably twenty, and she got me an ice buck with a cow ice bucket with a cowboy theme, like you go into a hotel room, you know the ice buckets near by the TV. Yeah, she got me an ice bucket. The top was a cow a horse's head, and the handles on the side looked like stirrups with fake leather wrapped around it.
Speaker 2: Wow.
Speaker 1: And I knew that it was because she didn't have any money and she probably found it at the dollar store for you know, like a really good price. And I opened it and I'm like, what the fuck? But I pretended, like, what use does a twenty year old half for a ice ice bucket?
Speaker 2: Zero?
Speaker 1: What about you?
Speaker 2: Well, I can't. I mean I would have to think about it. But I know for a fact, like in general, if someone doesn't know what to get me for Christmas, which apparently is often, they get me things with unicorns on them. Because I saw unicorn once when I was fifteen, and it was my whole personality for a little bit of time. And people know that about me, and so they're like, you know what, Bailey likes unicorns, So they just get me unicorn stuff. And I'm so sick of unicorn stuff. You guys, stop buying me unicorns.
Speaker 1: You know. It's funny because I remember when Fallen was doing Bee keeping because up to about six or seven or eight years ago, Fallin had a bee hive out in her backyard and she would I remember, she would tend to them and feed them, and she had the goofy looking little hat with the net over the face and the gloves and all that, and so every gift she got was bowles with bees on them, towels with bees and them, spatulas that were shaped like bees. And she's like, God, people need to stop getting me be shit. Yeah, And I was like, oh, guilty.
Speaker 2: Once they know the one thing about then they're like, well this is it forever. Yeah, Like, oh, man, get to know me. I'm more than just a unicorn.
Speaker 1: Girl, Jenny. Any gift that you got that was a proof they didn't know you.
Speaker 2: I don't know.
Speaker 3: My dad's just the king of buying anything off QVC because it's always buy one, get one free or something. So he'll buy something for one of us, one of the sisters, and then the other one gets the other like discounted version of it whatever. So it's just always random shit. So if he has to sit and explain some random mechanism to us that he thought was so cool on QVC, that's usually where I'm like, Dad, did you even think about this? Or were you just sold by the people on QVC? He was sold?
Speaker 1: Okay, I think you told me that about your dad, that he's just a little bit clueless as far I think we we had a big discussion not too long ago about older people and parents, but especially grandparents, that they don't know what to get you. Yeah, and they try, you know, that's the thing. They really are trying, but they don't know. And a lot of the time they don't have any money, all right. Next one, Ashley writes in says, want to drop in a very quick note. As I was listening to the Minnesota Goodbye and I heard you and Jenny talking about walking hiking poles, simply wanted to offer up that the main most common use for poles, and likely why Dave said he saw somebody walking on a sidewalk, which struck him as unnecessary, is to keep the swelling down on your hands. I'm from Minnesota, but I lived in Colorado for years, and between the altitude and the long time spent swinging your arms hiking, you're in trouble. If you got any rings on your fingers as your hands and fingers swell to chubby little hot dogs after a few hours, and good luck on getting those rings off at the end of the day. It's very uncomfortable, to say the least. By using poles, you keep blood from pooling up in your fingers and it is much more comfy experience. I guess if it is easier on your knees or has additional benefits for train added bonus. Thanks for all you guys do. I love listening and can't get enough of y'all. Cheers from Ashley.
Speaker 2: That makes sense, Thanks for that explanation. Yeah, because my hands do swell up when I go on walks.
Speaker 1: Yeah, just from the swinging.
Speaker 3: Your hands are using down more until the blood's going down to them.
Speaker 2: That makes sense.
Speaker 1: I was going to say that when I was training for Pike's Peak, I hiked up six miles and back twice to train, and then once all the way to the top thirteen miles, and all three of those times, my fingers swelled up so much, and I was concerned about it, like is this some sort of in my mind, I came up with the term pulmonary edema. Now I don't even know what that is. This sounds right, though, and I thought, is this pulmonary edema, which I don't even know. Look up the definition if you will, Bailey A pulmonary edema. Bailey's always really handy with the Google pulmonary pulmonary edema? Is what is this? What does it do? Anyway? What are the symptoms?
Speaker 2: Okay? Well, a pulmonary edema is a life threatening condition that occurs when fluid builds up in the lungs, making it difficult.
Speaker 1: To break lungs. Okay, not the fingertips, not your finger tips, okay. So what I would do is I would feel my fingers getting like kind of messages. Yeah, and you can feel it, you can actually feel it. So I would put my hands above my head as I walked up for like, you know, like a few hundred yards. And then I thought, Okay, anybody who sees me is going to think that I'm praising Jesus Christ, our Lord and Savior, exactly. And I don't care if people think that I'm praising Jesus Christ, our Lord and Savior. As I got my hands up in.
Speaker 2: The air, that are your surrendering or I'm surrendering like please or don't shoot or right exacactly.
Speaker 1: There. I'm unarmed is another one. But yeah, so I found out it was just kind of a natural thing. But I don't like hiking poles, and I'm not going to use hiking poles. I will rather just put my arms up in the.
Speaker 2: Air, okay, and praise praise him. People do that a lot.
Speaker 3: A lot of the times. People just rest their hands on their head, like, yeah, oh yeah, I've I mean since I started hiking, like a handful of years ago. I always do that when I hike, eventually, because I hate the feeling of my sausagey fingers. But you can't do anything about your feet. Your feet just blow up and you.
Speaker 2: Deal with it.
Speaker 1: So it's not pulmonaryan demons. It's not that. Remember on Friday we were talking about Patty's wedding misadventures. Yes, and Patty continues with the wedding misadventures, and let me see if I can pick up where we left off. The ceremony lasted about twenty minutes, including the sermon from the pastor in which he mentioned the divorce the word divorce six times. Yes we counted it was said in the context of Bible verses, but really not a very uplifting message for this young couple. Now, if you missed the first part, you can go back and listen to Patty's first part of the email. But basically it was just a very instagrammy weird kind of a wedding. Yeah, strange, very strange. After the ceremony, the couple walked back down the aisle and the bride insisted that her groomed dip her and kiss her so the photographer could capture the moment. But once was not enough, as the entire congregation stood waiting. This couple recreated the dip and kiss two more times so they could retaking the photo. I'm sure the picture will be on the bride's social media as a spontaneous moment, but we had to stand through it three times. Cocktail hour outdoors, I saw workers from the venue carrying the same flowers from the chapel that were on the floor during the ceremony. They put them on the tables. Later, with the plates full of food were placed on the tables. The baby's breath in the large bouquet was hanging over my plate. Yes, the same one that had been on the floor of the chapel was now touching the food. I was about to eat EWW. After dinner came the toast. Here we go. The best man started it off. He was a good speaker, but he went on far too long, telling story after story about very specific times in the life of himself and the groom, whom he's known since elementary school. Here comes the mate of honor. She giggled her way through another way too long speech that she read off her phone. I'm just going to tell you, reading anything off your phone looks like shit. It really does. At least have the grace of putting it on a piece of paper.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: I know it's easier off your phone, but it looks like shit. I saw a comic one time, like an like it was, what do they call it, amateur night?
Speaker 2: Oh sure, yeah yeah, amateur night.
Speaker 1: Stand up and read their routine off their phone, And I thought, fucking memorize your comedy routine.
Speaker 2: I've seen so many stand up like amateur nights where they look at their notes so much, either on their phone or on a piece of paper. But I'm like, you couldn't you have taken like an hour just to practice, smit some of these to memory practice.
Speaker 1: That shit, practice it. You don't see carrot Top, who's my favorite comedian? Come out, yes, come out and start reading his shit off his phone. So practice, yeah, I mean seriously. And if you don't practice your speech, then it's going to suck. I will tell you that right now.
Speaker 2: Oh no matter.
Speaker 1: She went into too much detail describing how they met in elementary school, had so much fun in high school. Even detailed their school schedule, fifth period English, seventh period history. Then yeah right. Both the best man and maid of honor told so many inside jokes that were not funny at all, so no one was laughing. The worst was the father of the bride, who pulled the speech out of his pocket and proceeded to read it. From where I was sitting, it looked like a full page, single spaced, handwritten speech, but no, there were four pages. He also went into way too much detail. Listen to this detail, describing times with his daughter throughout her life, starting with time with we would play with the plastic food in her pretend kitchen. There was a plastic steak and some plastic vegetables. Know how much detail you need to get into. This is one of the things we once in a while, we'll get a caller on the radio who you know, they have a great story, but they give us way too much detail, and I'll choke and I'll be in an asshole and I'll say what color shoes were you wearing that day?
Speaker 2: They'll be like, well, I get maybe it was great because you were my blue shoes.
Speaker 1: I think that with a good storyteller, they know what Because people think details make the story. Yeah, some details do. I think maybe details of how you felt make the story. Yeah, But details of what color shoes you were wearing.
Speaker 2: Does not matter too the trajectory of the dramatic structure.
Speaker 1: The whole time, we were trying to look happy because there were three, yes, three photographers and a videographer documenting the wedding. We didn't want to be caught rolling our eyes or looking bored. When they finally ended, I looked at the time and realized those three speeches had taken thirty five minutes. That's an average of about eleven and a half minutes apiece. Way too, way too long.
Speaker 2: They're supposed to be two minutes.
Speaker 1: Do you think two minutes is about Ryan?
Speaker 2: Well, like I usually say like two to four minutes. You say one thing about the bride, you say one thing about the groom or whatever the couple is, and then you say one thing about them together and that's it. Okay, I'm done.
Speaker 1: Have you ever given a mative honor speech?
Speaker 3: Jenny, Yes, and my sister's wedding, and I did about like a quick, like six second intro. Then I did a rap to the Fresh Prince of bel Air of their love story that lasted about two minutes, so I probably got mine done in under four minas.
Speaker 1: Yeah, okay, here we go three.
Speaker 3: Oh don't I don't remember my rap?
Speaker 1: You don't remember it? I don't written down somewhere.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I do.
Speaker 1: Well, Oh, tomorrow on the Minnesota good Bye Bye.
Speaker 3: I have the audio somewhere actually because I had to like change my email recently, so I had all this stuff on a drive and I did see the audio recently of it, so.
Speaker 1: I'll look for it all right tomorrow on the Minnesota Goodbye. Yeah, Jenny's wrap to the Fresh Pint, Right, I can't wait.
Speaker 2: I I did a made up on our speech in saying as well, if I could use your ukulele because I did a little yukulele song.
Speaker 1: Are you serious?
Speaker 2: We'll both do?
Speaker 1: This will be a big show tomorrow. Wow, don't miss tomorrow's Minnesota Goodbye and send in your thoughts. Concert thoughts would be good. I'd love to hear your opinion on that one, whether people should stand up and scream saying through the entire show, or whether you're there to listen to the artist. Let us know Ryan Show at KDWB dot com and we'll see you tomorrow with a very special Minnesota Goodbye.