Speaker 1: Welcome to the gods View Podcast. I am your host, Trevor. How's everybody doing out there in the world wide world. Sorry for the weird like slowing of the audio last week. It sounded like some of the clips we were playing it sounded like the guy was drunk or something. The only thing I could figure out at least what my hypothesis is I just had way too many things running on my computer at once, which is crazy because this is a brand new MacBook Pro. But I literally had like thirty different I have like MRI imaging processing software going, and I had our studio statistics, you know, a million browser tabs word Excel. It was just it was a nightmare just trying to like save a file froze my computer. So I've managed to destroy another perfectly good laptop, but I've closed everything. I've deleted about two hundred gigabytes worth the stuff, and I think we're back in business anyway. Great to be with you all again. This will be part two of our did Jesus Claim to Be God? Series, which is really just a you know, hijacking of Alex O'Connor's great content and adding some commentary which kind of brings me to a show housekeeping thing I want to bring up before we get started. You know, I've been recording like an episode a day for quite a while because it's kind of nice. I know, I've said many times before that the show is sort of really it's just for my own mental health. But you know, I am feeling the instinct waning. You know, it's because I, within the context of like science and philosophy and religion, I've kind of like said everything that I know, you know, so I'm kind of I'm feeling I'm starting to feel repetitive, so I'll probably slow down the frequency. But one thing that I thought would be kind of cool, and this is a long shot, is it would be nice, you know, because I've always recorded shows in the past with the co host, you know, in my different failed podcast experiments, it would be nice to maybe have like an occasional guest co host show up. So if you're sitting out there listening and you're like, dear God, that's me, I'm the guy or the gal, and you're like, I am the one, and I will rise to the challenge, shoot me an email. I know it'd probably be a little bit awkward the first couple of times, but uh, I don't know. It's just nice, Like if I say something that isn't clear, it's nice to have somebody else say like, wait, can you re explain that? Or if we're reacting to clips, you know, there's things I might miss, So it would be cool. You don't necessarily have to be like an expert in anything. I mean, it would be welcome. You know, if you're out there listening and you're a you're a physicist or a or a theologian or a philosopher, like yeah, don't get me wrong, that'd be sick. But you also don't have to be that. We could just sort of react to stuff. So really, really, no matter where you're at in the intellectual spectrum, I think it is just nice to have a second perspective, you know, someone who someone who's either sometime can be like a foil or a sounding board or represent people who maybe don't know as much about the topic and ask sort of basic but important questions. I think that's all good. So shoot me an email at God's I view book at gmail dot com if you're interested. Now back to the show. Last episode we listened to Mark, we talked about an argument from Mark, which is that Jesus forgave sins and only and God alone can forgive sins. It's so fact though, you know Jesus is God. And I, I mean, I don't know about you, but I found the I found the take pretty compelling. I mean, maybe maybe I'm saying that because I've seen Alex make people look dumb on this point, and he certainly did not make this guy look dumb. I need to figure out what his name is so he can plug his book. It's not in the title or the description. But anyway, he certainly didn't make this guy look dumb. I didn't think. And then Alex brought up a point that, well, you know, Matthew told the same story, but he made it even let he made Jesus making even less of a divine claim. And I think the counter argument was, yeah, but it still is a divine claim. And Matthew is just a shorter book so there's less detail. And yeah, I grant that, of all the verses to remove, those two are not ideal for my argument, but I agree it doesn't really like fundamentally change anything. So now we're moving into the next part, and this looks like It's about twelve minutes long, and the title of this chapter is Jesus as a disciple of John the Baptist. And if you could make this argument, then that be pretty you know, bad for Jesus's divine claim because it's sort of it would sort of be odd for God to be a disciple of a man. But again, I think I think like the atheists or the non Christians kind of press the point too far here. What's what's the word I'm looking for? They're they're kind of they're fighting an argument that even really Christians themselves I don't think would make. Which is not that the word Jesus and the word God are synonyms. I don't think that's true. Jesus is one aspect of a triune God. He's not the Father, he's not the Holy Spirit. He was sent by the Father. However, he is God. Not again, not synonymous with God, but he is an aspect of my favorite, my favorite analogy of the Trinity, because there's like this whole joke around theology that like, no matter how you try to describe the Trinity, you commit the heresy like saying like ice, water and steam, like is the heresy of X you know, there's all these named heresies that the Catholic Church has come up with, and pretty much every analogy you can come up with is a heresy, except maybe one, which is Neopolitan ice cream, which is that you know, it's all the ice cream, you know, but you have three different aspects chocolate, vanilla, strawberry. I just think it's funny that probably is the best analogy for the trinity. So when you say, like in that example, if you said chocolate is ice cream, that would be correct, right, But it's not the same as the whole carton of ice cream. It's like a specific flavor of the triune ice cream. Okay, I'm not trying to be sacrilegiously. I think it is legitimately probably a good analogy. But curious what you think. Okay, here we go, Jesus, as a disciple of John the Baptist.
Speaker 2: I should lay out what my position is here, what my understanding is to help here, and maybe you can lay out yours. Two, I think you might have betrayed yourself as a Catholic given your use of Latin. I think you know it's out in the open now for our listeners.
Speaker 3: Yes, for what it's worth.
Speaker 2: I'm quite attracted to the idea that Jesus, historically speaking, is essentially a follower of John the Baptist, a disciple of John the Baptist. And there's some evidence in this in the fact that Jesus is of course baptized by John the Baptists, and John is preaching a baptism of repentance for the forgiveness of sins. A lot of people think that John was a type of June known as an Esscene, because there are sort of three major Jewish groups in this time. There's the Pharisees, the Sadducees, and the Essenes, and of course a lot of people might not have heard of the latter group because Jesus is constantly battling with the first two, never battles with third.
Speaker 1: There's a lot that Alex sort of sneaking in another atheist talking point, which again I'm not saying talking point like a stupid atheist. It's it's valid, it's you know, I think we should contend with all this stuff. You know, most people haven't heard of the a scene. Most Christians haven't heard of the Ascene, because Jesus most likely was in a scene jew you know, an Aramaic speaking Galilean, a scene Jew and the religious authority in in the major the major cities and stuff was were the Pharisees and the Sadducees, and they have different beliefs, like the Sadducees did not believe in an end time resurrection, the Pharisees did, you know, And compared to the scene, they're probably more like legalistic. But I don't know if we actually know that for sure. That's just how it to portrayed. And so Jesus was not a part of that group. John the Baptist was most likely not a part of that group. And so this is sort of positioned as like this makes this text almost sort of like political. You know, this is a almost like a political figure trying to usurp the current religious authority. I mean, listen, it's not a totally unreasonable hypothesis. I just don't think it really finds a ton of support. I could be wrong. One thing about the scenes that are interesting is that they are very I think. You know, again, I don't know a ton a ton about this stuff. I think I represent like an educated layman maybe, but my impression is that the scene were pretty mystical, and they were pretty focused on the apocalypse, and they were excellent record keepers. And you know the Dead Sea Scrolls, for example, that's in a scene library that was discovered, so he kind of snuck that in there. It's completely unrelated to the brighter point. I just wanted to clarify a lot of bit.
Speaker 2: It's a barely sort of you know, well trodden power to people who suggest this means Jesus is an ess scene in the tradition of John the Baptist, John the Baptist dies. John is constantly talking about having a successor. There's one coming who's going to be greater than me. Jesus is that man. Jesus sort of continues the ministry of John the Baptist, and then what we see is Jesus preparing to pass on that ministry to his own disciples and singling out Peter as his sort of main successor. And of course this is very unorthodox for Christians, but I'm speaking historically here. There are some clues here. Jesus is saying things to his disciples like, you know, one day you'll do greater things than I will. He talks about teachers and students and how the students will surpass the teacher. And of course the main thing and the reason I bring this up is to say that whenever I'm confronted with evidence of Jesus's actions, things that he can do that only God can do, Jesus forgive since in John chapter twenty he ends up giving that authority to his disciples. Jesus walks on the water. A lot of people also forget that Peter also walks on the water, you know, and he starts sinking because he doesn't have enough faith. But the implication there is that if he had enough faith, he'd be able to walk on the water, just like Jesus did. Who meaning, Jesus is presented as this idyllic figure with perfect faith in the Father, and if only Peter has the same faith, he could have walked on the water too.
Speaker 1: You know.
Speaker 2: Jesus judges mankind, well, he delegates judge.
Speaker 1: I have to say, and again, I'm sorry if I'm committing heresy here, but this kind of is the natural reading. And you know, when I first read the Gospel like this is how I interpreted it, I didn't know enough to know that this is sort of you know, it's sort of maybe semi problematic with Catholic and Orthodox tradition, but no, I mean I actually I think I would say it's very problematic. You know, if you interpret this as saying that basically we could all be like Jesus literally through faith, I mean, that is a pretty problematic belief, you know, for sort of mainstream Christianity. So anyway, so to Alex's point, I mean that is how it reads to an uninformed person reading it for the first.
Speaker 2: Time, richment of the Twelve Tribes of Israel to the disciples. So as we talk about some of these examples, I want you to I want my listeners, our listeners, to recognize in my responses that that is kind of my rough understanding that in these instances where Jesus is doing something extraordinary and yeah, he is obviously doing something amazing and something that at least common understanding would have it that only God can do, Jesus is sort of saying, no, watch, I can do this too, but only in a way that one day you will also, and that the most sort of the greatest summary of this is in John chapter seventeen, where Jesus is praying for his disciples and the wider Christian community, and he prays that one day, you know, they will be in me just as I am in you the Father, and will all sort of be one together, seeming to imply that the special relationship pieces house with the Father is something that will hopefully be passed on to other people. So that's basically my broad position. Just I thought it's worth laying that out as we go through these.
Speaker 3: No, that's really helpful, So let me let me let me try to lay out just in a brief way mine and then I'd like to point to some things that I might that might be intention with that reading, just or emphasize how I basically let me say I agree with you, because actually one of the amazing things about Christianity is that it makes very exalted claims for the gifts that it professes. Both the apostles, their disciples and other believers will be able to share it. It's a very high claim, and this is where the whole Christian tradition of theosis or demonization comes from, even though that's not very well known and contemporary Christian circles and discourse. I think. So my basic position, or the couple of positions that I want to try to lay out in this book. Number one is that on the level of the gospel narratives, I'm trying to undo what I believe to be a very erroneous position that Jesus is only divine, only depicted as divine in John and not in the parotics. Okay, So I actually think that the that the when it comes to the four sources from the first century about Jesus, he acts and speaks as if he's divine in all four Marthy, Mark, Luke, and John, not just not just the fore call a second. I actually think that in addition to the passages that you just listed about him performing divine actions or having divine power to forgive sins or to judge right, in addition to those, there are other passages where Jesus does things that I, at least I think he doesn't give to his disciples. So let me let me give you a couple of examples. Is that fair? Please just do that?
Speaker 1: Okay?
Speaker 3: So for example, let's look at the walking on the seat. So I have the chapter called the Epiphanic Miracles in the book. This is the second chapter, and one of the main points of this chapter is actually to just demolish what I think is actually a myth, the myth that he's only divine in John he's not really divine in the Synoptics. I just think that doesn't hold up, and it's worked in the modern period, primarily because in the modern period there's been a tendencyy to bracket the miraculous out as if these aren't even part of the Gospels. It's almost kind like a cannon with and cannon. So lots of books on Jesus just ignore what are known widely as the Epiphanic miracles. Now, epiphantic miracles already suggest to you that something is being unveiled or revealed, and it's not just a merely human quality.
Speaker 1: Right.
Speaker 3: This is why King Antikas the Fourth, when he wants to claim divinity he mints coins and tiacas epifondos right and tiacus God manifest right. He's he's making a divine claim. But the epiphanu miracle that I think is really crucial here in Mark six, the walking on the sea takes place. In it, Jesus does something you're right, that he enables. In Matthew's version, he enables Peter at least to walk briefly on the sea, but before he begins to sing. But one of the things he does that at least I don't see Peter or any other disciple doing anywhere else, is take the divine name as his own from the Old Testament.
Speaker 1: Right.
Speaker 3: So, just to give you example, in Mark chapter six, right when he comes walking on the sea and they see him, they think he's a ghost, he says to them, this is a Mark six, verse fifty, take heart, Ago a me, do not be afraid, right So take heart I am, do not fear, do not be afraid right now, as I show in Jesus of my Christology, it's not just Christian apologists I've got. It's Jewish scholars, unreligious scholars, Protestants, Catholics alike, recognizing that on the narrative level, at the very least, Okay, the ago of me here is not just an identification. It is doing that, okay, Because he's just told you they think he's a ghost. There is a mistaken identity element taking place, and he is saying Ago and me it is I. That's not an illegitimate translation. But that's not all that's happening, because the context is Theophanic, right, it'd be one thing to just.
Speaker 1: Say, Okay, guys, this is really cool and I'm nervous because my computer's glitching, so hopefully it's coming through normal on the recording. The I am statement is important, you know, because this is how Yahweh tells Moses I believe, like, who should I tell sent me? And he says, tell tell them that I am sent to you, like tell them that being itself sent to you. This is this is how God communicates his name to people in the Old Testament. And so this is why in John when he says, you know, before Abraham was I am. You know, everyone basically understands that this is the vine claim. However, he doesn't act actually technically use the same word son. You heard him say ago ami you know I am. This is not actually and I don't know the Hebrew word. Now it's a little tricky because like we don't you know, Jesus wasn't speaking Hebrew, so we don't actually know what word he used. This is being written in Greek most likely, so it could just be a translation thing I believe. But the atheist claim is he's actually using a slightly different word. However, you can kind of settle this argument, which is the point he's about to make, because if he's making the divine claim in the context of something that only God can do, it seems to suggest that he's making a divine claim. Right, So in this case, he's walking on water. So let's uh, he'll he'll do a much better job explaining. I just wanted to set you up a little bit.
Speaker 3: It's me if you know, you stumble across someone in the dark and you don't know who it is, and he says, I am okay, fine, no numinous divine implications. But he's walking on the water when he says ago and me, and he adds to it. And this is important. The standard Theophanic statement mayfol based that Greek, do not be afraid. Don't be afraid. This is what happens over and over again the Old Testament when a he.
Speaker 1: This is so key man, this is so to me. This just totally undercuts the argument. You know, he's saying, do not be afraid. This is the standard thing that heavenly beings say to humans the first time they encountered a human, kind of suggesting that they're terrifying. So he says, do not be afraid I am he says God's name, and you could say, okay, really he's saying it is I, because both of those are appropriate translations of ago em. But he just said do not be afraid, an angelic greeting, and he's literally standing on water when he says it. It's like, come on, like how like okay, you can argue about whether or not you believe this happened. But to argue that Jesus isn't even implying you know that he is God or he is at least an aspect of God, to me, I think that's like a little petulant, maybe, like you're being like a little stubborn.
Speaker 3: Heavenly being comes down, whether it's the Lord or whether it's an angelic figure, the normal human response is fear and trembling. Right, So in this case, Jesus both identifies himself allays their fears. But then also, in my opinion and an opinion of lots of scholars, takes the numinous divine epithet Aegoimi I am or I am he who is, which is an allusion to Exodus three, the kind of paradigmatic theophany in the Old Testament in which God reveals his name to the Israelites. It's a revelation of not just what he is, but who he is, uncreated creator, the one who has no beginning, who has no end. He's not just the God of the mountain or the god of the river's he's He's the God who is. And so he takes that name as his own. That is something that I think you see not only Mark six, but also in John eight aty eight when Jesus says or Abraham was a go a me same thing a a declaration that has no predicate, right, doesn't say I am God. It's just non predicted.
Speaker 2: The trial as well in Mark's version, right.
Speaker 3: In Marx version, although it's not in the other. So I didn't make too much day out of that. In the I was trying to focus on the triple tradition. So you're right though, But that's the answer to a question, right, So that's also important. Like the meaning a go a me I am is going to have is going to be determined by context. It would be wrong for, for example, Christian apologist to say whenever someone says a go amy, they're claiming to be divine. Because the blind man says it in John chapter nine or ten, that's right, it's nine, yeah, because they're asking, hey, is this the same guy or not? Right, he's different than he was, and he says I am, which clearly means yes, it's me.
Speaker 2: But the context also warns warns his followers, like in March chapter thirteen, he says, beware that no one leaves you astray. Some many will come in my name and say I am he like ego amy and will lead you astray. So clearly, just the usage of this name is not necessarily an invocation of divinity, just to be clear for our listeners here, right, So, so ego amy is is a Greek phrase which is used in the Gospels. The Gospels a written in Greek. The Old Testament is written in Hebrew. Ego Amy translates roughly as I am ego as an ego you know, yeah, so it's so, it's I am. But it is also sort of used more colloquially to say something like it's me.
Speaker 3: So.
Speaker 2: A good example is the blind man in chapter in John nine, they say, you know, is this not the man who was born blind? And he goes ego amy, Yeah, yeah, it's it's right. But the difficulty is that in the Book of Exodus, when Moses asks God what his name is, God says, what would it be like asher yet.
Speaker 1: Commercial? But yeah, he's getting ready to make this the same point. But the thing is that these are different languages, so I don't know how key this is, you know, like how big? But maybe I don't remember, and he's about to destroy the argument. Let's find out.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, I am, I was, I will be who I will be? Like it is a it is a put it. It's an enigmatic Hebrew phrase in itself, like it bears multiple translations and.
Speaker 2: Means which would again kind of means something like I am who I am, or I am that I am right, And then he says, so go and tell them that I Am has sent you, and so he gives his name as I am. Of course the new Tessim's written in a different language, but I am in Greek is ego amy. So sometimes it does seem like when Jesus says it, especially in like John chapter eight, when he says weirdly with a weird grammar, you know, before Abraham was I am. It seems like such a sort of intentional usage of that phrase that people say it's a callback, but it's complicated by the fact that it is also a phrase that people do sometimes just use to identify themselves. So here importantly the Gospels themselves. If you read John chapter eight fifty eight.
Speaker 1: I just want to point something out. You know, Alex will have these conversations with people who don't know much like this guy, and you can imagine him crafting like a much more devastating critique of Jesus's divine claim if there's not a very intelligent theologian to be like, yeah, sure, you know, like, yeah, people say I am all the time, but it's also a border to remember that God's name is I am. And when you are using the word I am in a strange way, like before Abraham was I am, you know that's clearly a divine claim. When you're saying it as you walk on water after you said do not be afraid, you're clearly using it in the divine what you know what I mean. But you know, if you don't know anything about like the gospel story and stuff, which is often who Alex is being interviewed by. I've seen I've seen clips of him on other people's shows and I'm like, Oh, like, I guess, I guess Jesus never claimed to be God, you know what I mean. So I would encourage you if you have like a lot of preconceived notions, like if you kind of feel like, you know, the story of Jesus has been thoroughly debunked, Like I don't necessarily there's certain things that can neither be proven or not proven, right, but there are other things that perhaps could be disproven. You know, it could be that, you know, Moses is writing about Abraham and he's describing cities that didn't exist. Yet someone could have told you that you could watch a video and you'd go, oh, this is completely discredited, not knowing that there are other very legitimate scholars who have very good rebuttals and arguments against this. So again, I would encourage you if you feel like things have been debunked, maybe just accept like an intelligent person trying to make a point without an intelligent counterpoint maker sitting next to them can really like do a lot of damage on your knowledge of a subject, like this is what happens with flat earth all the time. You know, you get some guy who knows a lot about the flat earth argument, says things no one else is around to be like, well, actually no that's not true. You know what you just said isn't true. You know, someone just speaks with authority. It can be pretty convincing. So I just kind of maybe if you are an agnostic, sort of just reflect back on the arguments you've heard, the things you've heard it, maybe just like take some of it with the grain of salt. Like I'm not saying like everything you've ever heard is wrong. I'm not saying that, but sort of re examine your current prejudicial biases and maybe be open to re examining them.
Speaker 2: Eight. You know, verse verse fifty eight. They translate it usually as before Abraham was I am right? But on the walking in the water, most Biblical translations read the NIV or whatever. I'm not sure where the NRSV does, but it translates it as it's me, even though it's the same phrase.
Speaker 1: I should just point out this is maybe a translation issue. The original word is ego at me.
Speaker 2: So I don't know, because contextually it seems like he is just identifying himself. But you're saying that in the context of walking on the water, it takes on a great deal of significance to use that identify.
Speaker 3: I would qualified. I would just say I don't think the word just is correct. Yes, he's identifying himself, but he's not just identifying himself. And the way you know that is from the context, because in this context he's walking on the water, which if you look in Job chapter nine, for example, this is something that Hebrew scripture says only God does. Only God walks on the waves. In fact, in the Subtuagen translation of Job nine, it says that God walks on the waves as on dry land. Right, So this is something that Jewish scripture makes a divine attribute. And then this was really cool in the book. I'm sure you saw this part. It's also something in a Greco Roman context was perceived as a divine power because in the first century, when Caligula wants to manifest his divinity. This is one of the strange things about Caligula. One of the reasons a lot of Romans thought he was crazy is because he didn't wait to divinize himself until he was dead. That's perfectly acceptable. Once you're dead, you can be divinized. But he wanted divine claims and divine attributes to be give to him while he was alive. So a lot of people said he you know, he was crazy. But uh, and Josephus and in Suetonius we hear no Stonius Sutonius tells Us about how in order to manifest his divinity, he builds a bridge across the Bay of Biah and then rides across it on a chariot as befitted his godhead. Right, So the idea that he that he can cross the sea, and this is just one example, there are others as well. Is both in Jewish and Greco Roman context, a divine power, a divine attribute, it's something superhuman. And so when in that context Jesus says, ag a me may fow base it. Don't forget to do not fear either too. That's this is that language. So you brought up Exodus three, but it's not just Sexust three, it's Isaiah forty three. When God speaks I am God, there is no other He reutilizes the language of I am and I am he, the same Hebrew language from from the Book of Exus. But then he also says do not fear. So Jesus isn't just alluding Exodus three. In the Burning Bush. He's also alluding to the most on a theistic passage in Isaiah about the power of the One Creator God of Israel. So in that and he does it while he's walking on the water, right, So that's important, right. Context matters when it comes to this, as I like to joke with my students whenever we would go through this when we talk about this in the In the Gospel John, I think I noted this. It says that he that they're four miles from the shore, because Steve Galiley's about seven miles wide at the widest point. And so I would joke with the students and I said, listen, if he didn't know he was God by mile one, he probably figured it out by mile four, right, Like this is this is not just uh, this is not just a identification of it's me. It's also a theophanic revelation. That's why it's called on an epiphany miracle of the mystery of his identity that he is claiming he's using the name of the One God from the Book of Exodus and from Isaiah. And the context shows that that's true. In John aid as well, because the response of his contemporaries is to pick up a stone and to stone him to death. And they say, we stone you for no unrighteous work, because you, though a man, make yourself God right.
Speaker 2: Well, he says that, and that's that's John chapter ten. When they respond that way.
Speaker 3: I'm sorry, I say eight. I apologize, Yeah.
Speaker 2: Joe chaps ten. You're talking about whether because they pick up stones in John A as well.
Speaker 3: So yes, so the but the stoning in John A fifty eight? Uh, John ay fann So they took up stones to throw at him. The death by stoning is in Leviticus and in Josephus. That is the that's the legal, legally prescribed manner of execution for blasphemy. So although the word blasphemy doesn't come the the implication is that they're stoning him because he's blasphemed and in context blasphemy.
Speaker 1: Can I just realized we have not really addressed the disciple of John the baptisting. Although I guess you could say this sort of isn't it. You are addressing it, right, you know, if you are, if you are showing that Jesus is claiming to be God, then clearly he's not just a disciple. Although you know Jesus certainly thought very highly of John the Baptist. He said, you know, he's basically the greatest man there is on earth. So so they were close, and they obviously had very similar messages than beliefs. But so I'm realizing I introduced this episode as a John the Baptist disciple rebuttal, and that's not actually what this is. This is much more about the ago of me claim. But we have about a few minutes left, and uh, I think I'll just let it run out and then we'll wrap up.
Speaker 3: I mean a lot of different things, like you can speak against the temple, you can speak against the priesthood. One soldier got executed by the Rome procubator Kamanis because he was ripped up copies of the Torah, so he like desecrated a sacred object and they said he had. He also said he uttered blasphemies. So blast week and have a lot of different meanings. But one of them is making a divine claim. And before that, the penalty is death, not just death, but death by stone. So again in context John eight, and I think Mark six, it's really difficult for me to argue that those allusions to Isaiah forty three and Exodus three are just coincidental. I think they're more more significant, much more significant that they're intended to help you see that he's making a divine claim about who he is, because remember the name in Judaism. It reveals not just your role in salvation history like Abraham, you know, father multitude, it also reveals your identity, like who are you? And that's something I don't see any of the apostles ever saying a goo a me I am in that kind of context. So I would say that's something that is actually distinctive in addition to the powers. Does that help this absolutely?
Speaker 2: Yeah. And there's so much to say that. I mean, it's it's really difficult to have this conversation actually because especially like on YouTube when my comment section is flooded by Christians, It's like, if we spend ten minutes talking about the Son of Man, then all the comments will say he was literally stoned for blasphemy. It's like, okay, then we'll spend half an hour talking about blasphemy, and then it's like he said I am, and then okay, well let's talk about that. And it's like, but he said that he's one with the Father, so we have to take these one by one, right.
Speaker 3: Yes, And so it's really important to look at in each case what is the nature of the divinity to which he's laying claying right. So not every passage that I looked at in the book has the same degree or kind of divine power or identity as the other. So I really tried to be a career divine in what sense in this passage, divine in what sense in another passage. And it is a cumulative argument. It's not just that one passage is kind of settled the whole thing that's mine.
Speaker 2: So looking at what you've said about about the walking in the water, and of course, although I am of my opinion of you know, localstology and all that, sure, you know, I'm I'm I'm pretty I've got no skin in this game, you know, don't I don't. I don't mind. So I think it's interesting, but I'm not gonna die on this hill or anything.
Speaker 3: One quick point on that just of course disregard. So one of the things I did in the book was, like I tried to quote scholars who didn't have skin in the game. For example, the famous Jesus seminar from the nineteen nineties, that's when I was in school, and they were really hot, really popular. Most of the scholars are members of the seminar. Not all were either atheists or gnostic not they weren't believers in the divinity of Christ or the classic Christian creeds. But you know, when they come to the Walking on the Sea, they say he's alluding to Exos three, he's making a divine claim, and they actually say he's acting like he's Poseidon or something. I mean, so it's not just a kind of Christian apologetic that interprets the text in that way. That's a reasonable interpretation, even from a non Christian perspective.
Speaker 2: You know, Yeah, I definitely think that it's a reasonable interpretation. I'd never wish to imply otherwise. But there are some reasons that give me pulse the thought on this, right, I mean crucially firstly, right, like that the main grounding for this walking on the water thing is, as you've already said in Job chapter nine, he alone stretches out the heavens and treads on the waves of the sea like God alone treads on the waves. We're sort of speaking poetically here, and of course it is Job who is speaking and In the very next chapter of Job, while Job is sort of shouting to the heavens, he says, does it please you to oppress me, to spurn the work of your hands while you smile on the plans of the wicked? He's angry at God, and he's saying all of these things about God which are untrue. Like in the very next chapter to God, God is saying that God smiles on the wicked. He's saying that he please, He pleases in oppressing him. You know, he also says that he'd wished he'd never been born. Job is sort of this imperfect you know, theological authority at that time. Of course, that doesn't mean that we can't sort of poetically refer to Job, because people would know that phrase isn't there. But I think it's worth pointing out that this idea that you know, we have this we often say, like it says in the Old Testament that probably God does this. But it's important to know who's speaking and in what context. In this context, Job is complaining and basically basically blaspheming himself by saying all of these things about God which which aren't true.
Speaker 3: He's angry, I agree, but I pushed back slightly. I don't think you're right in the surrounding chapter or the next chapter, that's true. But in John Joeb nine one ro Ten in those verses there, one of the things he's doing is saying, how can a man be just before God? And then he begins a poetic litany of all of his attributes as creator. And I don't get the sense from that particular context that he's calling any of those into question. I actually think he's drawing a contrast between the utter transcendence and indipotence of the Creator.
Speaker 2: What's happening to That's that's how I read it. Yeah, I think I think that's the perfect reading. I just think it's or plausible reading. I just think it's worth worth flagging that.
Speaker 3: That's always dangers. Who just say the Old Testimate.
Speaker 2: Says exactly, It's like, you know Muslims might do the same thing. Well, I could say, well, in the Book of Job in fact, you know, you know it says God is not a man that I might.
Speaker 3: Sasties, right, you know, everything's vanity doesn't have any meaning.
Speaker 2: Like okay, well, like yeah, you knows, do quote that? By the way they quote the book of Joe where God is not a man that I might question him, and it's like, yeah, but this is this is job, you know, and he's complaining and he doesn't and it's poetic and it means it's obviously means something else in that comment.
Speaker 3: And that's why I tell you the examples of like of Caligula constructing.
Speaker 1: And I think we will end right there. So the reason I think we'll end right there is that my computer actually died, so it's now twenty four hours later in the future. I was recording that clip with Alex and I still don't know the guy's name, the guy who's defending the claim that Jesus claimed to be God. That last thing you heard about Caliguila right there, that was twenty four hours ago. So anyway, we're gonna wrap up. I just wanted to record some sort of outro so it didn't just end. You know, in the twenty four hours since that last episode, I'm thinking this podcasting game, man, you know, I think I might be kind of coming to the to the conclude usion. You know, at first, I recorded like ten episodes and stopped, and the idea was just for people who were thinking about buying the book, or maybe bought the book and wanted to listen to something I'd have like this little companion thing. But after episode ten, I was like, I don't know, it's kind of a lot of work. Well, we're coming up to episode one hundred. Now this is episode I think this is like ninety five something like that. I'm kind of thinking, oh, kind of getting that feeling again, so we'll see. I think if I was going to continue, I would need to, you know, invest in a little camera, set up my office a little bit better, and do a YouTube because YouTube is where all the eyeballs are. But I don't know. I mean, I always say like, I'm not doing this for people to listen. Really, I'm doing it for my mental health so my kids can listen to, you know, what I thought about what, you know, my grandkids maybe what did what did Grandpa think about? Quantum physics? By then, will either be subjugated to our Peter teel overlords or will be moved on from quantum physics. Probably it will be quantum violent string theory or something. I don't know, but that was kind of the motivation, Like why do I do this thing that doesn't make any money, and that was the reason. But now I'm like, maybe I've maybe I've done that, maybe I've accomplished that. So I don't know. Maybe it may be a co host to make things easier, or maybe YouTube, or maybe we just call it a day and maybe I'll come back once I write another book or something. I don't know. Let me know what you think. So, without further ado, that was part two of our Did Jesus Claim to Be God? Series? Commenting on Alex Connor's interview, I thought it was pretty interesting. I thought the is doing a pretty consistently good job of making the case that Jesus did, in fact claim to be God. Depending on what you mean by the word you know, if you mean did he claim to be the Father in heaven, will know he didn't. And there's you can find all sorts of quotes of Jesus' in the Bible where he specifically distinguishes between himself and the Father. But if you take a more trinitarian view of God, then yes, absolutely Jesus claimed to be the son of God and the son of man, so he was a divine figure in the form of a man, fully human, fully God. So all right, everybody have a good weekend. Please email me at God's I view Book at gmail dot com. Until next time, take care, stay safe, and God bless