Speaker 1: It's seven oh six fifty five kr c DE talk station in studio and it's great having him back in the studio Corey Bowman and find him online at Corey Bowman dot com. Because you're a resident of the city of Cincinnati, you do have a choice. You don't have to continue banging your head against the wall. The definition of stupidity is doing the same thing over and over again expecting a different outcome. And that's in the case with the city of Cincinnati for the last forty years, exclusively Democrat run Corey Bowman, It's great to see.
Speaker 2: You, great to be here. Thank you so much for having me.
Speaker 1: Brian, happy to be happy to do it and happy to talk with you. And one of first off start off. If Corey has to end the segment, he's planning on spending the full hour in the studio. But a shout out to his beautiful wife Jordan. Today's the official due date.
Speaker 2: Yesterday was oh, yesterday today was yeah. So we are do with our fourth child, the third boy. So I still have my princess that I can, you know, spoil and let the boys just run around. But yeah, she was due yesterday. But yeah, we basically take it day by day with that. So I'm watching my phone very closely.
Speaker 1: I know you got your phone out, and it's not it's not out of disrespect for our conversations, but the call may very well come in.
Speaker 3: You know.
Speaker 1: It's funny because both of our children and we stopped it too, which I thought was enough. I grew up in a family and my sister and I that was it, and that was enough for my mom and dad. But both of them were a month early. It was just out of nowhere. My wife and are getting ready to settle down, and I think we were going to play a game of Monopoly or something that when when our son and you know, she's outside getting ready to come back inside, and that's when the water broke. Is like, holy cow. We didn't even have We had nothing by way of supplies in the house. There were no diapers or you know, blankets or everything else that you need to care for a baby. So we had to run around, scramble and get all that stuff. But before we brought him home, but out of nowhere, and then the same thing happened with my daughter.
Speaker 2: All my kids were two weeks late from what we've done in the previous so We basically are just on call right now until whenever the baby shows up. We're ready for anything.
Speaker 1: Well, you know, I always think about that when and I don't want to go down a conversation about abortion. When it comes to late term abortion, I'm thinking to myself, both of my kids were fully baked at eight months. They were ready to hit the ground running. They were done over with, they wanted out, and they were healthy as they could be. So you know that's reality right there.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, I know you have timing on you know what the average is. But every woman, I tell my wife, every oven is different, you know. So yeah, some cook them a little bit hotter, some cook them a little bit lower, And so you gotta let each woman basically do it the way that they need to exactly.
Speaker 1: And you know, I imagine for a baby, it's a pretty comfortable environment. Everything's taken care of.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I wouldn't want to come out.
Speaker 1: Mind poor opposite. Anyhow, Coreybowman dot com and remind folks he could use the help in terms of a donation. If you want to donate some you want to learn about his campaign philosophy and what his principles are, Maybe get a yard sign and put it in your yard. Anything you can do to help Cory out. I think it'll be a wonderful thing because we I think we need a change.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, well we're under one and forty eight. We're actually one hundred and thirty eight days away from the November election, and so time flying. Yeah, and so time is flying, but we do have some time to let people know at least that there is an election. You know, I was asked by a local newspaper recently, you know, how do we feel about the primary? I said, my biggest takeaway from the primary is that we only had about eight percent voter turnout, and so we've got to get people involved. I think that you know, that has to speak louder than anything else, is that people want to be involved in these elections. Myself included. This is something from a city perspective, somebody that's lived in the city. We have to realize that all of us half the parts to play in this.
Speaker 1: Yes, we do, and you know, you and I have talked about the situation in Hyde Park. Of course, this is the ballot initiative to give the citizens an opportunity to vote on their own and chart their own destiny. Rather than having the destiny of their neighborhood being shoved down their throats by a city council and the current mayor. I was really hoping and praying that that would net you some support. Corey Bowman. Didn't force this development on Hide Park, and Corey Bowman, as I understand, it wouldn't have forced this development down the residence of Hyde Park's throats. You would allow the residents of Hyde Park to choose their own destiny, much in the way a bond Hill probably feels. And all the other neighborhoods who rose up and in defiance of city council voted to get this on the ballot so they could control their own destiny. I mean it's a cautionary tale for these current city council members and the mayor. And I think it's the illustration of the failure of representative government.
Speaker 2: Well yeah, what you said, representative government. And you know I was in the City Hall whenever they had the meetings and had the initial vote for the rezoning of this project. And when you have hundreds of people, one after another, stopping on this microphone to voice their overwhelming opposition toward this project. These are members of the community. These aren't just people that have been flown in. These are people that are very very much involved in the community. And then on top of that, you have a petition of over four thousand signatures of city residents that are saying we are opposing this, and then you look and you vote seven to two in opposition of that community. That's something that I'm trying to tell people is that I know that we're very polarized in our politics in this nation, but this campaign that we're running is for the city of Cincinnati. We're running on city issues because that's what's important to people. And one thing that I learned through this whole process of researching this development in Hyde Park is that the voices of the community council, not the city council. Right, community councils are not being heard properly and even considered. From that I gather and if anything, I've been in these meanings of the community councils. These are the members that care the most about their communities. They're the ones that actually should be talked to when it comes to where should we put speed humps, if any where should we put these, Where should we improve the streets, Where should we do these these community councils have an invaluable opinion that is based in their local involvement in their neighborhoods, and I think that that's something that we need to start taking more action toward.
Speaker 3: Amen.
Speaker 1: They live there, they know what goes on day to day. You know, local government is really important, it's most effective. This is, you know, one of the reasons why I reject decisions being made in Washington, d C. Which impact my day to day life. No, they're so far removed from the realities of each individual person. Nonetheless, that each individual community the city, since they made up of multiple different communities, each with their own struggles and challenges and needs, and often inconsistent in their challenges and needs. High Park is nothing like bond Hill.
Speaker 2: No, no, And but the thing is is that they've already had these policies shoved down the throats of people and other neighborhoods. Just so happens that Hyde Park has the resources and the grit to be able to fight back.
Speaker 3: Point.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 2: So this vote that makes the ballot in November, if it still carries on through that, I would encourage everybody to know that this isn't just a vote for Hyde Park. This is a vote for all of the neighborhoods of Cincinnati, because there's many neighborhoods that haven't had the fees for the lawyers, or haven't had the ability to fight where the organizational structure in their community councils, but they're still being taken advantage of. And it's all about this high density housing. It's always about this. You're only zoning what we want you to zone for. It's not about the community developers, it's not about the community councils. It's not about the people and the residents of these neighborhoods. It's about this is our over we're all vision that we have as your elected officials, and you just need to fall in line with it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's just like Agenda twenty one stuff. The Connected Communities is an illustration to that, and you know that you got to start with that. That was an insult to all of the entire city of Cincinnati. This is what we are laying upon you, connected communities. This is what you're gonna have to do if you want to build something that's got to be in aligned with this Connected Communities program. Period and a story and then until a well connected developer puts its hand up and says, I need a waiver so I can put in a giant apartment building and a giant hotel in High Park, and they ignore their their their their their connection with this environmentally correct walking community concept of connecting community is like, oh, okay, well connected developer. I wonder if there was any money involved in that, Corey.
Speaker 4: You know?
Speaker 2: Well, well, so, I'm reminded of this book that we read when we were a little called give a mouse a cookie and they and they're going to want a glass of milk. It's this story. A lot of people actually don't know about this book. I don't know.
Speaker 3: I just read it so many times.
Speaker 2: So kind of like that and Where the Wild Things Are? These are two books that, like, we just read NonStop.
Speaker 1: My mom used to read Where the Wild Things Are to me, that's the whole book.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I love those. But the thing is is that the premise of this story is that this mouse asked for a cookie, and then once this kid gives the mouse a cookie, who he says, can I have a glass of milk?
Speaker 4: Well?
Speaker 2: Can I have a straw? Can I have a napkin? Can I have this it's like every single time you give it, you think this is going to be the final thing that you have to give this mouse, and also you just ask for something more. And that's really what it's like with these elected officials and connected developers, if you want to call them, is that these people are always just asking for more, and they're always pushing the boundary. And I think that the time needs to come to where they need to start listening more to the individuals in their neighborhoods.
Speaker 1: Hey Man, well can continue with Corey Bowman in studio unless he gets a phone call from his wife. It's seven fifteen. I have carecy Detok station. Let me mention plumb type plumbing because if you have a plumbing issue or problem you need some plumbing work done, you're in the best possible hands. With plumb type plumbing. They know you deserve better. They deliver on that with superior customer service, never charging a service fee, providing free estimates. That's why they enjoin a A plus the better business bearer. The price is always right and the work is always superior. So don't worry about calling plumb tight. They'll take great care of you like they have for me. In emergency situations on as well. Tankless water heaters are the number one installer of tankless in the Tri State and it's a great reason to go tankless. First off, space savings. You may not care about it, but you can get rid of that entire giant hot water heater tank and put a unit about the size of a suitcase hanging on the wall, which provides unlimited hot water. Never run out of hot water with a tankless and lower energy bills. Yeah, traditional water heaters keep a tank water hot twenty four hours a day, seven days a week. Tankless only heats the water when you need it, which means less energy waste than real savings over time, and they last longer than a traditional tank as well. So multiple reasons go tankless. And if you go tankless, go with plumb tight plumbing. It's plumbing done right. They live with that motto seven two seven eighty four eighty three seven two seven Tight of course five one three seven two seven Tight online, plumtight dot com.
Speaker 2: This is fifty five KRC an iHeartRadio station.
Speaker 3: Our iHeartRadio music.
Speaker 1: Here is your Channel nine first morning weather forecast. Scattered storms until midday, It'll be mostly sunny after that eighty for the high today just a few clouds overy nine going down to sixty four eighty six with sunny skies tomorrow, and an overnight low is sixty eight with just a few clouds. It's seventy two degrees right now. Good five k CD talk station. Let's get a traffic update, Chuck.
Speaker 4: From the ucup Tram Things Center.
Speaker 5: Right now, over one hundred thousand people are waiting and hoping for an organ transplant to save their MI sign up to be an organ donor or explore living donation. You see how dot com slash transplant cleanup continues from last night storms. About nine thousand without power now to deal with, and an awful lot of debris of the roadways.
Speaker 4: That's enough to have parts of.
Speaker 5: Brittle Road blocked off near Clifton Avenue. Chuck ingraman fifty five KR see the talk station.
Speaker 1: Fifty five kr ce de talk station. Happy Friday. Corey Bowman in studio Coreyboma dot com. Check him out. He is running for the mayor of the city Cincinnati and his wife is listening and she corrected him, No, today is actually the due date, not yesterday. So Corey lost track of what day of the week it is, and we're hoping for the best for Jordan. And props to you, Jordan. This is number four. She knows what to do. She's been down this road before. Anyway, Moving over to mayoral topics, let's talk about crime. I was looking at the proposed budget and a bunch of line items that I don't understand, and a bunch of non governmental organizations which have their hand in the trough. Not sure what they're out there doing in the world, on the heels of my rant about my taxpayer dollars being used to fund political activism, which I find absolutely offensive and not part of what government should be. Sorry, had to go down that road again, but there seems to be a lot of that going on. But in so far as the police is concerned in crime, and I know this is an important topic to you. You live in the West End, you know about crime, and you have talked to a bunch of police officers of late.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and so you know, whenever we announced this race, I asked everybody what their biggest issues were. And as we started developing our policies, developing you know what we want to stand on, which I mean we stand on things, as you know, as part of our character as par as what we believe, but you have to have practical application of it. You have to be able to give people a plan of This is what we will do from day one of being mayor. And one of the biggest things that we're seeing right now in our city is that there is an uptick in crime. There's an uptick in a lot of things that are going on in our community. If you live downtown, you know that the the statement crime is down couldn't be farther from the truth. And there are certain key issues that are happening in our city right now that we have to address, and one of one of it has to be with the understaffed police department that's happening right now and the lack of morale and the lack of proper recruitment that's been happening over the past few years. And a lot of this is catching up to us. Like like I said, I've talked with a lot of police officers. Many of them will come into our coffee shop and I don't push my agenda on I say, hey, what's going on in your department, what's going on from the police department standpoint, and we're the biggest the biggest things that we can fix. And I've repeated this over and over. I think the biggest thing that we have to focus on is the relationship between the community and the police officers. There's been a huge divide between the local law enforcement, the officers that are there to protect and ser our community, which I've talked to them. They have a heart for our city, they have a heart for the community. They want to be in harm's way to be able to protect the people that they love. But then at the same time, the city and the communities that they serve, there's this disconnect because a lot of these policies that are in place, when we see the three to one one, when we see the ARC programs, when we see from the top down, the culture that's being set that the police officers are only there for worst case scenario. It creates this disparity and a lot of the morale of the police officers has been lost.
Speaker 1: Well, that's the development from the defund the police movement. This is a fringe element that has the loudest, squeakiest wheel and is among you know, that fringe element that's taken over the Democratic Party. You know, I've talked to many people and I can't remember who I just talked with the other day, Position of Authority, and oh it was FOP president.
Speaker 3: He was on the programs at Canday Yeah can.
Speaker 1: Cover, And I asked him, you know, if you're a be patrol officer and you're out there, how are you generally received by the communities that you serve and they say they want us there. I mean, they want police presence, they want safety. They are not against the police. It's that really just irks me to go in that the voice that's elevated is the small minority of the people who think police are inherently evil and bad and that there should be a different way of doing things.
Speaker 2: No. Absolutely, And what we're seeing in the city right now at the moment that the temperatures start rising, the moment that the summer months start happening, well, then the crime starts going up. These shootings go up. I'm sure many of the listeners are aware. But there was a stabbing that took place a couple of weeks ago with Patrick Harric.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 2: And the thing is that this brought light to a lot of different issues that people in OTR are going through. But here's something that happened too. Not only do we need to recognize what happened with Patrick Harringer, but there's a man named Charles Smith who was in the North Side area, South Cummingsville area that what happened was on Friday night. Basically for the sake of optics, really, a lot of these officers were taken from their districts and put into OTR to make sure they look like they were covering the area. Well, some of the districts that were suffering because of this on that night was South Cummingsville and North Side. Well, then there's a man he's a Veteran's he's a Navy veteran and he worked at the Via Medical Center for over twenty five years. Charles Smith is his name, and he was murdered that night as well, just because of lack of the proper policing or the proper patrols that were put in the area. And that was just an administrative error on the chief's part. To be able to say from optics over outcomes is what we've been saying, Well.
Speaker 1: There should be police in every neighborhood all the time. And I know that having a police presence doesn't prevent crime from happening necessarily, but the optics of having regular patrols and police departments around does have a calming effect and does serve as a warning shot over the balist one you might commit a crime like well, there's a cop right there, or I'm going to get arrested because the cop is going to be here within minutes and I'm not going to have a chance to get away. No, that's not really the case. When seconds counts, the police will be there in maybe an hour six seven twenty six. Will continue with Corey Bowman. Got to take quick break care mention my good friends at USA Installation. What a great product. I've been talking return on investment in you know, drawing a parallel to the market over time. Yeah, you're probably going to get a great return on investment if you keep your money invested in the market. But you're guaranteed to get a return on investment with USA's premium phone. First off, in terms of comfort, improve comfort from day one. But the key is the energy bills. So you're running your HVAC system, especially on hot and human days like yesterday. Yeah, you want to be comfortable enjoy the foam in the walls, premium foam made here in Ohio. Injecting into the exterior walls of your home. It will make your place so much more comfortable, and you are guaranteed to have energy savings. So how about saving enough money to cover the cost of the monthly payment for the installation. You may very well, we'll do that. It's only ninety nine dollars a month interest free, ninety nine bucks a month interest free. You think about me, it's like one night out a week, you don't go out to dinner or something like that. You get this wonderful energy savings benefit and maybe even net zero so product ultimately gets paid for. You continue to enjoy the savings. So you could be under insulated or without insulation. Call for the free inspection and free quote three eight one three six two six five one three three eight one foam online, USA Insulation dot.
Speaker 3: Net, fifty five krc iHeartRadio.
Speaker 1: Here is your seventy nine first morning weather forecasts. We've got scattered showers or storms up until midday, and then they say it's going to turn mostly sunny today. Today's high eighty. Enjoy that sixty four overnight with just a few clouds. Eighty six will be our high tomorrow with mostly sunny skies, and again a few clouds overnight with a load of sixty eight seventy one Degree's time for a traffic upcake Chuck.
Speaker 4: From the ucup Traffic Center.
Speaker 5: Right now, over one hundred thousand people are waiting and hoping for an organ transplant to save the sign up to be an organ donor.
Speaker 4: You're explored living donation at uce.
Speaker 5: Health dot com. Slants transplant problems. You've found two seventy five. That's an accident just after you got past mastellar that's currently blocking the left lane. There are injuries, traffics starting to back up towards seventy five.
Speaker 4: Chuck Ingram on fifty five KR. See the talk station.
Speaker 1: At seven thirty right now if you bive Kcey talkstation. Coreybowman dot com mayor OL candidate Corey Bowman running as a Republican a city of Cincinnati, which I knowics people say like, well, God, it's is this is an impossible challenge, and I think he's up to the challenge. Got some good ideas and if you're unhappy with the current administration, like for my friends, in Hyde Park and Bond Hill and other places where they don't listen to you and they do whatever the hell they want and run right over you. Maybe the misallocation of taxpayer dollars defunding all these non governmental organizations to do stuff and things in the community, maybe that's roving you the wrong way. Then then don't vote for the status quo. And I said, give Corey a shot and see how he handles things. Vote for different council members and see how they handle things. And this is what elections are all about. So you need to show up and and and vote for a different direction. Because I honestly, Corey, when I say that, I'm surprised that really that many people in the City of Cincinnati think that we're under responsible government. I mean to the extent people are paying attention, you know, they're wondering why their road hasn't ever been fixed?
Speaker 3: What the hell is?
Speaker 2: You know?
Speaker 1: Why is all the And I saw some of the line items in the budget that came out the other day. At least that we're proposed, I'm not sure if it's solidified and it's done it over with. But again, all these organizations out there that I don't even have any concept of what they do. They got some nebulous name, and you're like, why are they getting all that money? Jam Michelle a Vice mayor Kearney complaining about additional million dollars going into replacing some of the the the the the the fleet of vehicles, which apparently is in a complete state to disarray.
Speaker 2: That's huge.
Speaker 3: That's a huge amount of money.
Speaker 2: About every officer that I've talked to, you know, has made a complaint about that.
Speaker 1: So that's actually police vehicles, fire vehicles, snow removal, all that kind of stuff. I get half of it is out of commission or in need of being replaced. So well, I can't remember which council member voted to for an additional one million dollars, and she's complaining that it should go to what sounded to me like non governmental organizations. Never did articulate what she thought it could be used for, but it needs to go for better use. We can't even buy a fire truck with a million dollars, So why would we even allocate that extra money to vehicle replacement when in fact, half of the vehicles that the city owns are out of commission or getting close to the end of life, are already at the end of life.
Speaker 2: Well, this so I want to go back to actually, like us first starting the church in the West cent of Cincinnati. A lot of people say, oh, well, he's just a pastor, he's just you know, coffee shop, bone or whatever. But there's things that we've learned or at least at least had to have the administ of know how to be able to run something successfully. There is one thing that as a church we've experienced a lot is that there's a lot of whether it be funding or a lot of resources, a lot of donations, a lot of things that are available to people in the community. It's the facilitation of distributing it that's been the issue. A lot of people have these things available, a lot of these funds, a lot of these resources available, they just don't know the proper ways of getting it in the hands of the right people of the community. Right. This is something so like an example this and I'm getting somewhere with this from the political standpoint, but we have a Christmas outreach every year, right, So this is what we've done in the past years is we just asked people for toy giveaways, donations, and we distribute to the community because we have relationships with a lot of these apartment complexes or a lot of these places where we know where the people are in need. We're not just filtering it through an organization. We put it right to the people that are in need of it. Well, then we partnered with a local school this last Christmas because they said, we've got all the resources coming in as far as donations, We've got you know, whether it be toys for Tots, whether it be FC Foundation, We've got all these different foundations that want to get on board. But it's about the distribution of it. It's about helping facilitate it. I was like, well, we've got that, we've got a building, we can store the stuff, and we'll make sure that it gets into the right hands. And so I feel like the city, for the sake of just looking like they care about the community, is filtering a lot of this money through organizations because in their mind they're thinking that's the only way that we know how to get it into the hands of the community. Well, the first thing in the budget is that you have to take care of just the basic necessities of the city, which is like what you just said, The streets. It's our the vehicles of our police officers, our fire trucks are snowplows. I mean, there's a major deficit when it comes to just updating our equipment for our public services right now. So that's public it has to be it, it wouldn't. I mean, it's it's one thing to help people, it's another thing to like, these are your primary city jobs, in my opinion, is safe streets, clean streets, and properly paved streets, if that makes sense. Your your job is the streets and so on top of that exactly. And so if you have the funds to be able to help community organizations like this, I think that there's just this big disconnect between elected city officials and the community. I think that, in my mind, the community councils, the people that are the boots on the ground, so to speak. These are the people that are actually gonna know how to get it into the right hands or get these resources into the right the right people, if that makes sense of need. So there is a way of helping the community out, But I think that the priority needs to kind of shift to the practical side of snowplows and cars and fire truck vehicles and stuff like that.
Speaker 3: We'll continue with Corey Bowman.
Speaker 1: Be right back, Xeph for these brief words beginning with a huge props and thumbs up and strong recommendation.
Speaker 3: Everybody needs to see a dentist.
Speaker 1: You've got to go to the dentist, whether you like it or not, but you want to be in the best possible hands, and you are in the best possible hands for all things dentistry with doctors Peck and Freu, Fred Pack and Megan Frew. And you know, I've been going to their practice for years and years and years. Doctor Fru joined I guess probably within the last two years. But doctor Fred Peck a demonstrably superior dentist for all reasons. He's always insisted on being in the most state of the art dental clinic for the benefit of his patients, of course, but a fellow with the American Academy of Cosmetic Dentistry, a real genius. I've been calling him a genius for years because I've seen the before and after pictures of his transformative, life changing cosmetic dentistry. So if you are in the market or don't like your smile, you need to consult with doctors Peck and Frue. She's on her way to accreditation, so you get her fresh perspective with his years of experience, and you'll end up with a stunning smile makeover. But in terms of general dentistry, you couldn't be in the best. You couldn't be in better hands. And I've my listeners who've seen doctor Frew just absolutely love her. Not the discount, Fred Pack, I love you, Fred. Doctor Frew is adored by her patients and you'll love her and doctor Fred Peck as well. So getting gimme a call scheduled appointment five one three sixty one seventy six sixty six five one three sixty one seventy six sixty six. Online you find them at Pacpeckpecksmiles dot com fifty five KRC men.
Speaker 4: Summertime is here.
Speaker 1: Channel nine first morning Weether forecasts not bad. I've got some scattered storms up until midday. Then it'll be mostly sunny with a high of eighty overnight pleasant sixty four low.
Speaker 3: It's just a few clouds.
Speaker 1: A seasonal eighty six high tomorrow with mostly sunny skies and a few clouds over night dropping to sixty eight seventy one degrees.
Speaker 3: Let's get a traffic update, Chuck.
Speaker 4: From the uc UP Traffic Center.
Speaker 5: Right now, over one hundred thousand people are waiting and hoping for an organ transplant to save their life. Sign up to be an organ donor or explored living donation at uc health dot com. Transplant problems. He's found two seventy five. There's an accident just after you got past my stellar that's currently blocking the left lane. There are injuries, trampings starting to back up towards seventy five.
Speaker 4: Check ingram on fifty five KR. See the talk station.
Speaker 1: At seven forty one. Right now fifty five k C the talk station Brian Thomas with instudio Corey Bowman. Let's get a phone call from his wife, Jordan, saying, Hey, the baby's coming. It is the day, Jordan, wishing you all the best of luck with that the impending birth of number four, and congratulations of both of you, and I know you're really excited about it. We're all excited about Corey Bowman running from Aaron and hope Corey does a good job, and hope that people actually get off their butts and go out and vote. One of the bigger challenges at actually getting people to go to the go in on election day or vote ahead of time. Hell, we've got a window of opportunity a month long in advance, people can actually cast the vote. And again, going back to my friends in Hyde Park and Bond Hill and other neighborhoods who can't ConTroll theer own direction because the city in Cincinnati won't listen to you, don't do it again. Yeah, it seems like I such a simple solution, don't do it again. But moving over to other matters, I guess in terms of prioritization, you already mentioned the key priorities for any city and governance is safety and infrastructure. And I know you've had experience at least in terms of pivoting over to development. And I'm not sure with this Connected Communities program in place, since council voted for that, how much control a mayor would have if you are dealing with a council that's still pro connected communities. But one thing I know you know about, and maybe there is something that can be done notwithstanding what that proposal stands for, is standing in the way of development. I mean, you live in the West End and you've you've seen it firsthand. And you know, I go back to my experience back when the late Elmer Hensler was complaining about he wanted to expand his meat packing plan. You know, there's nothing over there but industry. It's not like he's changing a neighborhood from a residential community into a factory.
Speaker 3: He just wanted to expand it. It took him forever.
Speaker 2: That's why that's the case with a lot of people. You know, when when it comes to my background, you know, in that a lot of my family growing up were either custom homebuilders or developers, and so I just saw that firsthand. I actually, you know, had many family members that went through the two thousand and eight housing crisis and saw the implications of that. One thing about development is that there's always different phases or different levels of development. And I think that one of the key things about our say that makes it great is utilizing our local developers, the ones that actually have a heart for the city. There's so many people that or businesses that can maybe flip or revitalize one or two properties at a time, and for people like this, it's very hard to kind of get ahead of the game. Like one of one of my friends who's actually developing property that's across the street from our coffee shop. Took them three years to be able to just break ground on the construction. They put a lot of money into it, put a lot of effort into it. Once they got the go ahead, I'm telling you, I've never seen cruise work faster. And I looked at him, I said, what that you know, I've never seen people work this fast on construction. He's like, we've been waiting for three years. I've had everything ready for three years. And after talking with him, I realized that there's kind of two sides of this coin. On one side, you have whether it be the permits, whether it be the zoning, whether it be getting the you know, the blessing, and you kiss the ring of those the powers that be to make sure that you can develop it the way that they see fits. But then also a lot of these developers or business owners are trying to take advantage of as many tax credits or incentives that they can, and not necessarily because they're lazy or trying to just cheat the system, but because they need to find some way to be profitable in the city, whether it be through taxes or all that stuff as well, and so we've got to do everything we can to help these small time local developers.
Speaker 1: Well, it seems to me to have the pro development mindset in the forefront of everything the city does. I mean, it sounds like so much of the permitting process and this three year window at least for that, and I think it was probably even longer for Elmer Dude to build out his business back in the day. That's not what they're in favor of what they are are they view their role as to be an obstructionist. I mean, that's kind of what comes across as the mindset. It seems to me that they should be involved in outreach. Okay, I want this project to move forward. What's the hold up? What are you looking for? Facilitating the prompt development?
Speaker 2: What you just said is key facilitate the role of local government outside of making sure that you do the basic services and you make sure that you're taking care of the people. But you're there to facilitate growth. You're not there to dictate growth. Yeah, there's a difference. Facilitate is Hey, we've got community developers, we've got local businesses, we've got local community councils, we have this thing called you know this, the neighborhoods that we have fifty two neighborhoods in Cincinnati. These people know what direction they want their communities to go. Our job is to facilitate that growth and that potential as much as we can. But the initiatives, like the Connected Communities. This is the argument that they'll say, is that all, well, he says he's for development, But that's exactly what connected communities is. No, it's not. Connected communities is a trojan horse for all the policies that they want to implement over it. And it's only the ones that kiss the ring. It's only the developers that are connected or have their hands in the pockets of the city that are going to benefit from it. Now, many of these developers aren't necessarily evil, they're just playing.
Speaker 3: The game to be off. Amen.
Speaker 2: So I'm not against these big time developers. I'm not. I'm against the dictatorship of local government saying you can only build this, you can't build this when the community needs this development to be quicker.
Speaker 1: Four seven forty six, I'm gonna have been seven forty seven, one more with Corey Bowman. Then we're going to get to a Congressman David Taylor after the top of the ur News Foreign Exchange. You get to Foreign Exchange, have your car repaired for less money period, end of the story. That's what it's all about. A foreign exchange. You're not excuse me, my apologies. You know, cough can come out of nowhere that one did. Anyway, Foreign Exchange se certified master technicians will be working on your traditionally manufactured imported cars and teslas. Yep, they started serviceing teslas. They've been trained to do it. So you're in the right hands of Foreign Exchange, as you are with all imported vehicles Asian European traditional. You are there and you want a full Warran Champ parts in service, which is what you're going to get. You want to save money over the dealer, which is definitely what you're going to get. I've saved tremendous amounts money with Foreign Exchange over the years, plus the customer service is fantastic. I suggest the Westchester location, Tylersville Roade off of I seventy five, head East two streets, hang a right really close to the exchange, right there, and you will be at Foreign Exchange. You want to check them out online go to foreign xform the letter x dot com five one three six four four twenty six twenty six five one three six four four twenty six twenty.
Speaker 3: Six fifty five KRC. Here is your Channel nine.
Speaker 1: First morning with a forecast scattered storms up until midday when it's going to turn mostly sunny.
Speaker 3: We'll see you. High of eighty degree's down to sixty four overnight, which.
Speaker 1: Is a few clouds eighty six with mostly sunny skies Tomorrow overnight low is sixty eight.
Speaker 3: It's a few clouds seventy one degrees. Right now, let's get a traffic up bee from Chuck.
Speaker 4: Ingram Chuck from the ucup Tramfics Center.
Speaker 5: Right now, over one hundred thousand people are waiting and hoping for an organ transplant to save their life. Sign up to be an organ donor or explorer living donation. Didn't you see how dot com slash transplant Chris continue to work with a wreck he's found two seventy five at Mostellar What two lanes blocked right? Two lanes get by traffic packing up past seventy five. Traffic elsewhere is looking good, including inbound seventy four at Montana.
Speaker 4: Chuck Ingram on fifty five KRS the talk station.
Speaker 1: Seven fifty one fifty five kr CEV talk Station Brian Thomas with in studio Corey Bowman on the dow date for his number four. We're wishing Jordan and Corey all the best on the arrival of their child. Whether it's day or down the road a couple of weeks, doesn't matter anyway. We're hoping for the best. But Corey, you're committed to the city. You lived out of the state for a while but came back to what you what is always has been your home. You're committed, You're a business owner, you have your church in the West End. You know about the needs in the city, the impediments that people face, and yet it's to be a bit heartbreaking and a bit of a challenge because I know you've run into people that will raise their hand. I used to live in the city, but I got the hell out or you know, like west Side Jim Kiefer, I mean, he's committed in the city of Cincinnati, but he feels like he's stuck. You know, I'd love to get out, but I can't because I can't get what my I think my house is worth because the property values went down or something like that. There's a lot of frustration out there, but the idea that people are you know, leaving apparently more than willing to move in, is a real challenge. I mean, you've got to give people hope and optimism that you know, there is a better path forward in the city and it's worth embracing and committing to it.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 2: I think a key aspect of this year, you know, as we get ready for the election in November, is showing people that's not just about complaining about what's wrong, but it's about also showing people that there's a bright future ahead for our city. There is hope, you know, whenever we go out on the streets or whenever we talk to people at events, Like I told you, there's one or two things that happen. Either somebody tells me, yeah, we got out of the city a long ago, we just couldn't take it anymore. Or we get people that feel like they're like the last watchman on the wall there. I was talking to a gentleman not too long ago that said, I'm not leaving this city. I care too much about this city. I care too much about what's going on but my family's been in you know, Price Hill for one hundred and twenty years, and you know, I'm the last one in my family to be in the area and still be in the city. So like, there's this remnant of people that basically say, we're not leaving, we care too much about our city. But you have to see hope because what you're seeing with the crime, the infrastructure, and the way the budget is being handled, there's there's not really a lot of hope for for people like that. Well, I just basically want to convey that if we it might be a big ship and it can turn on a little rudder. There might be certain things that we need to do this year to be able to help us steer in the right direction, but there is a bright future ahead for our city. I'm not here to say that since any's a hell hole, that I'm here to fix everything. I'm here to say I'm raising my family in the city. I really believe it's the greatest city on the face of the earth. There's key things that if we do it properly and we do things practically, that there is going to be an amazing future for our kids that are living in the city. There's gonna be an amazing hope for the generations that are in our city, for those that are either on one side of the economic spectrum or the other, there's gonna be a lot of opportunity. And we can see that if we all kind of get together behind this of saying, hey, times need to change.
Speaker 1: Yeah, time needs to change. And you know, projecting optimism and along those lines is I think a very beneficial thing. But you know, you're aware of things and like crime, and I believe the current administration is trying to project a hopeful and positive imaging, but they're whitewashing the whole concept that crime, for example, is down. I'd rather be frank with the people and then them saying, listen, we are aware of crime. We're aware of the statistics we know, like example, over the Rhine is illustrated by that Patrick Herringer murder is up forty six percent or something. Here's what we're going to do about it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, because when we talk to police officers, so everything has an effect not only short term but long term. And so when we talk to these police officers, a lot of times they'll say this that there was a time period of five to seven years where we really weren't recruiting, we really weren't hiring properly. Well, what happens is that that's catching up to it right now, right and you're seeing people that are retiring at a rapid rate. You're seeing a deficit when it comes to the employment.
Speaker 3: So what do we do.
Speaker 2: Do we just say give up and just keep on letting it go. No, if you implement strategies for proper hiring, proper recruitment of the police force, letting these police officers know that the city has their back, and you want to encourage them to actually get on the force, not just apply for another district or another city or another county, but they say, no, we want to be CPD because this city has our back. If you have these strategies and you have these resources allocated properly, you're going to see short term effects, but also you're going to see a long term effect of over the course of ten years, you see our city going in the positive direction on crime and then as far as jobs goes. You know, it's one thing to just give out handouts, but it's another thing to say, hey, we have an open door policy. We're going to be welcoming businesses, manufacturing, logistics, whatever, entry level jobs, whatever it might be. There's an entire west side of the city that has so much industrial potential and so much vacancy. Right now, you could be able to have some of the key businesses in America come to Cincinnati because we're within a five to six hour drive of sixty percent of America. So from a logistics and distribution standpoint, it makes sense to come to Cincinnati. If the city has this open door policy of saying we want to help facilitate that growth, then all of a sudden, over the next ten years, you're going to start seeing development in that and that needs to be in tech, that needs to be in lead industries of AI and blockchain. These industries need to be able to say that Cincinnati is the central hub of the Midwest. We can actually replace Chicago as the business central hub of the Midwest.
Speaker 1: Coreybowman dot Com find them online, help them out, and Corey, it's always a pleasure having you in the city and talking with you about important issues for the city of Cincinnati, which you know transcends the boundaries of the city of Cincinnati. If you're outside thinking gosh I can't vote for Corey, you can still help them out because whatever the City of Cincinnati does impacts the entire region, including my friends in northern Kentucky, you know, in the outer community Eric Counties as well.
Speaker 3: Corey.
Speaker 1: Best of luck, man, I know you and I will talk again soon, and good luck with a bundle of joy.
Speaker 2: Absolutely, thank you so much, thank you for having me.
Speaker 1: Sevent fifty seven five cares to detalk station Congressman David Taylor after the.
Speaker 3: News big things are happening.
Speaker 2: This justin.
Speaker 3: We'll tell you more at the top of the hour. What they are doing is terrorizing immigrant families. Fifty five cares the the talkstation