Speaker 1: Now your host walking you up to first pitch. It's Tim kays.
Speaker 2: Hi, everybody, and welcome in to Morongo Casino, Dodgers on Deck. I hope you enjoy this beautiful Sunday afternoon here in southern California. You're world champion Los Angeles Dodgers back home after taking two from the Chicago Cubs and the Tokyo series. After a few days to get their body clocks back on track, the Dodgers will play a three game exhibition freeway series against the Anaheim Angels before the regular season home opener on Thursday.
Speaker 3: Tonight.
Speaker 2: It's game one of this three games set against the Halos Tonight Dodgers Stadium. The next two nights at the Big A and Anaheim. Jackson Farris, the minor league pitcher of the year for the Dodgers, will get the start. Left Tendrill take the mount at first pitch at five to ten. Coming up over the next hour here on Morongo Casino Dodgers on Deck. We got a lot to get to. We're gonna hear from the manager himself, Dave Roberts. How's this team feeling after those two games in Tokyo and getting ready for the home opener on Thursday, we'll dive deeper into this pitching matchup. David va segoes one on one with reliever Kirby Yeates. We've got your Dodgers magical moment, and shortly we'll check in with Kirsten Watson and of course, in just a few minutes we'll head out to the Gallpin Motors broadcast booth. And here from Charlie Steiner and Rick Monday. The Dodgers back home safe and sound after a wonderful trip to Japan that saw them take two against the Cubs in Tokyo. They won the first game four to one on Wednesday. In the second game, it was the Dodger debut of Roki Sasaki. The young right hander win three innings, allowed one run on three hits, truck out three, walked five. Got himself into some trouble in the second a ground ball double play got out of that, and then after loading the bases, he got back to back strikeouts to get out of the third inning, allowing just one run. The Dodgers z were able to get on the board early. They scored two in the second. Will Smith scored on a pass ball. Keik A Hernettez a sack fly his first RBI of the year, and the Dodgers were up two to nothing. Then the top of the third, Tommy Edmund hit the first home run in twenty twenty five.
Speaker 4: Payoff pitch from Steel.
Speaker 5: This one has swung on well, hit to left, toward the corner. It goes hit is pack it has gone. It's a home run Tommy Edmund as he hits his first tank of the year. It's three nothing Dodgers. A solo shot for Edmund.
Speaker 2: Tommy Edmund goes deep. Three nothing Dodgers lead. The one run that Rokie Sazaki came up came in the bottom half of the third inning. He walked Kyle Tucker with the bases loaded. When the command was starting to get away from Rokie Suzaki, he went to three innings, turned it over to the bullpen. Dodgers were up three to one in the fourth when keik Hernandez unloaded.
Speaker 5: Two two, swung on and hammered deep left field.
Speaker 1: Way packing gone.
Speaker 5: Key k Hernandez with a two run home run, five to one.
Speaker 4: Dodgers.
Speaker 5: Oh, that was an absolute, no doubt or off the bat of Key k Hernandez as that was way up in the left field bleachers.
Speaker 2: Two runs shot for a keyk that came in the fourth Dodgers up five to one, E and a half. A RBI single on the fourth show, Hey Otani, Yeah, I heard of him? Home run the fifth bomb that gave the Dodgers a six to two lead. The Cubs would come back with an RBI double in the fifth inning off Jack Dryer, the Dodger reliever Landon ac then two shutout Indians Kirby Yates a scoreless inning, and Alex Vessio came in to get the save. Dodgers beat the Cubs six to three in front of forty two thousand, three hundred and sixty seven and a sold out Tokyo Dome in Japan as a Dodger start off the year two to zero. In twenty twenty five, after a few days off back home a three game exhibition freeway series against the Anaheim Angels with more, let's head out to the Gallpin Motors Broadcast booth as we say hello and welcome in Charlie Steiner and Rick Monday, guys.
Speaker 6: So the Dodgers return home from Tokyo on Wednesday night. Here it is early Sunday evening Dodgers and the Angels in the first of the three game mini series as we get ready for Opening Day on Thursday, beautiful night for baseball here at Dodgers Stadium, and the Dodgers, of course, the defending world champions, feeling awfully good about themselves. A successful road trip, and the Dodgers are not just the champions of Major League Baseball based on what we saw in Tokyo, they're the champions of baseball period.
Speaker 4: Well it seems to be that way.
Speaker 7: First of all, it's great to see you. You and I had a chance to bond yesterday, and it's good to have you right alongside and welcome Backcodder.
Speaker 4: On that end up, I agree one hundred percent. And I have said that.
Speaker 7: That series in Tokyo in Japan itself was a terrific platform for the defending world champion Dodgers, and I think even more so, probably a wonderful platform for Major League Baseball. The reception was off the charts, that the games were off the charts, and now the ball club has come back. They got rid of a jet lag, they made some adjustments, and there's also been some new elements added to Dodgers steadium, new locker rooms.
Speaker 4: We've had a.
Speaker 7: Glimpse of that, and it's nice to be back home, and it's nice to have you back home.
Speaker 6: Be it ever so humble, It truly is your takeaway from.
Speaker 4: The off season.
Speaker 6: You know, as I was watching from Afar, one of the things I noticed is that the Dodgers fundamentally have not changed very much on the field. They've got a fistful of starters, a fistfull of relievers, these guys ninety last year loaded for bear again. Yeah, Charlie, you and I have been talking all winter long, and Jude I said, really in the first broadcast a season ago in spring training, that the Dodgers were perceived as really the Goliath of baseball. Well this year in the first broadcast, I said, yeah, they're again perceived as the Goliath of baseball. And by the way, in my estimation, Goliath has gotten bigger, stronger.
Speaker 4: And better.
Speaker 7: And I'm not certain that David's going to appear this year, but that's on paper. Dodgers still have games that they have to win on the field.
Speaker 6: And the Dodgers, of course have Dave Broughbers back once again his tenth season. This is without question his team and they're going about their business. It all begins on Thursday against the Tigers. So weird to have the opener at Dodgers Stadium with the Tigers on a Thursday, but so be it. That's the schedule.
Speaker 4: Right now.
Speaker 6: Everything is exactly where the Dodgers would like to have it.
Speaker 4: Yeah, yeah, I.
Speaker 7: Think that if I'm reading the tea leaves the right way, this is a Dodger ball club. Yes, they have a World championship underneath their belts, but I just sense that they came to Spring trunning, hungry, hungry to make it back to back, hungry to understand that there is a challenge out there every time that.
Speaker 4: They go past.
Speaker 7: I know Mookie Betts made a comment that every game that they play against other teams is going to be like their World Series, the other team's World Series.
Speaker 4: Some people got irritated by that.
Speaker 7: I thought it was a very realistic statement and understanding is the Dodgers know on their schedule or the other clubs know when the Dodgers are scheduled to come into their homes stadium and play against him. I think this is a wonderful prelude to a season. Already two games in the win column. A lot more need to be added there.
Speaker 6: It is two games before everybody else plays.
Speaker 7: The Dodgers are in first plays the best reckon in baseball.
Speaker 4: All right, so we're getting ready to go.
Speaker 6: Let's see Angels and the Dodgers and there will be a couple of games down in Anaheim Thursday, the Tigers and the Dodgers open the regular season this side of the Pacific. Line ups the first pitch and tell you more about who's playing and where tonight when we come back.
Speaker 2: All right, thank you, Charlie. Great to have you back as we count you down the first pitch. Dodger fans, get your game day meal on at Shaky's Pizza Parlor. What are your Shaky's Pizza, Chicken and Mojo's right now at Shaky's dot Com. Coming up here on Dodgers on Deck, you're gonna hear from the manager, Dave Roberts. We'll check in with David Vasa gets you all the late. This will dive deeper into this pitching matchup.
Speaker 3: What up next?
Speaker 2: Youer, Tawny Rewind and we'll visit with sports and at LA's Kirsten Watson. That's all coming up as we lead you up to Dodgers and Angels on this Sunday.
Speaker 3: Night, first pitch at five to ten.
Speaker 8: Thanks for being with us.
Speaker 3: I'm Tim Casey's the world champion Los Angeles Dodgers. Off you a network.
Speaker 1: It is Loronzo Casino, Dodgers on the Dodgers on deck y'all on the official home of La Dodgers Baseball.
Speaker 2: It's the Dodgers and the Angels. The Freeway Series Exhibition style is. The Dodgers are back home after a two and zero start to the regular season in the two games against the Chicago Cubs in Tokyo. After a few days off, Dodgers back at at the play at Dodger Stadium tonight and then Tomorrow night and Tuesday night they are at the Big A and Anaheim. Some lineup shifting. Mookie Betts was in the lineup originally when it posted two hours ago, starting at shortstop and batting seconds well. In the last five minutes, the Dodgers have updated their lineup and no longer is Mookie Betts starting for the Dodgers. Miguel Rojas will now play shortstop instead, where he played for the first two games in Tokyo. So had hoped to have Mookie Betts back in the lineup. Looks like it's not gonna happen tonight. In the first game of this freeway series.
Speaker 1: This is the Otani ree Why anytime Jack Dryer continues to warm up, he's getting ready for his major league debut. Two two, and Otani hammers one.
Speaker 4: Oh.
Speaker 5: This ball is well struck, deep bright center, back to the wall.
Speaker 1: That's off the top of the wall.
Speaker 5: Otani around first, he's in the second and Kyle Tucker, Well, they're saying home run. It looked like it came off the top of the wall initially, but Otani comes around with his first home run of the season.
Speaker 4: Show.
Speaker 2: Hey, Otani put on a show in Tokyo, picking up where he left off last year with the fifty four home runs in the fifty nine stolen bases. He hits a home run in the Dodgers' six to three win over Chicago. Otani, by the way, in the two games in Tokyo, three for eight, a home run, a double, two walks, and three runs scored.
Speaker 1: This is Kirston's corner with Kirston Watson.
Speaker 2: Hey Kirson now joins us. Brought to you by Cars for kids. You're ready to donate your old car, Call eight seven seven Cars for Kids right now. Friendly agents are standing by to take your donation. That's Cars with the K to donate your car. Today, the Dodgers are back state side the first of three against the Anaheim Angels, first up at Dodger Stadium and Kirston Freddie Freeman back in the lineup.
Speaker 9: So he was a late scratch ahead of Game one, dealing with just some ribsreness on that left side of his body. And that's the same rib that he was dealing with in the postseason that we heard about after, I mean the incredible postseason run that he had. So he was whether it was the ankle, the rib, he was dealing with a lot. So to see the success he had last year was just remarkable. Now this spring, it seemed like that was a thing of the past. There was still some focus as he was working through his ankle was full go heading into Tokyo, But in that last round of batting practice ahead of Game one, he just kind of tweaked something. Dave Roberts said today that they believe it was scar tissue that maybe he was feeling. He was lobbying to be back out there for Game two of that Tokyo series. Ultimately, Dave Roberts, the training staff just said it's not worth it, not worth in case getting hurt, obviously with the rest of the regular season coming up, so for him to be back out there is really good. Dave Roberts said that he's feeling so much better. He's probably gonna have a limited outing today, two to three at bats, three to four innings of defensive work.
Speaker 2: How are you feeling here, said body clock back coming back from Tokio.
Speaker 8: Everything good.
Speaker 9: A few days after you know that I've talked about everyone else hanging in there. I will say that is the number one topic of conversation today. How are you feeling the jet lag? What's going on for everyone is slowly but surely getting back on track. Sleep is here and there those first few days back where we're definitely rough, but the laundry is done. I have unpacked. That's huge for me, and here we go.
Speaker 2: Routine is what baseball players are all about, and the fast that they can get back on the routine coming back from Japan to better curst. We appreciate it. We'll check back in with you after the game. Still to come here on Wronggo Casino Dodgers on Deck. We're gonna preview this pitching matchup. David Vessa goes one on one with Kirby Yates.
Speaker 3: But up next we'll get you an.
Speaker 2: Injury report and we'll hear from the manager himself, Dave Roberts. It's a Dodgers and Angels a Freeway Series. First pitch at five ten. I'm Tim Kass, the world champion Los Angeles Dodgers Audio Network.
Speaker 1: This is Marongo Casino Dodgers Hunting game on your home for LA Dodgers Baseball.
Speaker 2: Marongo Casino Dodgers on Deck continues on this Sunday afternoon. As we'd lead you up to first pitch from Dodgers Stadium, Dot and Angels Morongo Casino Resort and Spa A Grand Slam for good times, Jackson Ferris and Jose Siriano.
Speaker 3: The pitching matchup. First pitch coming up at five ten.
Speaker 1: This is the LA Dodgers Injury.
Speaker 2: Report, presented by UCLA Healthy, official medical partner of the Los Angeles Dodgers. Tony Gonson starts the year on the il back soreness. Eduardo Henriquez fifteen day il left foot fracture, Kyle Hurt recovering from right elbow surgery. Clayton Kershaw starts the season on the sixty day IL recovering from the off season toe surgery. Michael Kopek Evan Phillips both start in the season on the IL. Bruce Dark graderol as well the sixty day IL for Bezuka recovering from right shoulder surgery. Let's head back out to the ravine and check in with the Dodger skipper.
Speaker 1: Any questions for Dave Dave?
Speaker 4: Can you just describe Dave? Can you talk about the pressure.
Speaker 1: In the dugouts with Dave Robbers?
Speaker 10: Have you settled on a starter for the home opener and for the Tiger series?
Speaker 11: We have we have It's gonna be Blake Snow and it's it's great in the sense of Yamamoto starting the opener in Tokyo, but then Blake getting the opportunity to start the home opener here at Dodger Stadium, and then we'll follow it with Yamamoto and then Roki for the for the last game of the Tiger Series.
Speaker 10: That's a pretty good old school pitching matchup between two cy young winners with school ball and Blake.
Speaker 4: It really is.
Speaker 11: I think that if you you know, if you look at Major League Baseball starting pitching, in anyone's math or opinion, those two are two of the top five pitches in all of baseball, and so to have them kind of two South Paul's going against one another's gonna be fun.
Speaker 10: What was his reaction when you let him know that he was going to be that guy?
Speaker 4: I think he was.
Speaker 11: He was certainly honored, excited. You know, Blake chose to be a Dodger for various reasons, and you know, for him to start home opener here at Dodger Stadium, I think it's just something else that he can add to his, you know, already great career.
Speaker 10: What's the outlook for Evan Phillips.
Speaker 11: Evan through yesterday in a live session and look really sharp, And so the thought is he will either throw tomorrow or the next day another inning, and he'll be here for the ring ceremony obviously, and then he'll make his way to Arizona.
Speaker 10: How about Copek since you got back any updates on him?
Speaker 11: No, not not really. I think Copek is sort of in a holding pattern. Don't really know what that means. There's not a it's not a setback. It's just kind of where he's at the build up. He's just kind of been pretty stagnant. I think, I don't know, you know, what his time of return is.
Speaker 2: All right, there's Dave Roberts talking to the media just a few minutes ago. When we continue here, I'm wronggo Casino, Dodgers on deck. We'll check out with David VA say it's the latest song. What's up with Mookie scratch from the lineup again when he was scheduled to start and short stuff. We'll find out more from DV.
Speaker 3: So he'd lead.
Speaker 2: Jump to first pitch on this Sunday Dodgers and Angels, first pitch set for five ten. I'm Tim Kates's the world champion, Los Angeles Dodgers Audio.
Speaker 1: Netwhere this is Marongo Casino Dodgers on tach on your home for the Blue all season long.
Speaker 2: Dodgers and Angels on this Sunday afternoon. The Freeway Series, first of three two games at Anaheim on Monday Tuesday, Jackson Ferris, Jose Soriano the pitching matchup.
Speaker 3: First pitch coming up at five.
Speaker 1: To ten, Joining Tim Kits on Dodgers on deech.
Speaker 10: I accept everybody for who they are.
Speaker 1: This is Dodger insider David vas all.
Speaker 2: Right, the Mookie Bets scratch from the lineup about fifteen minutes ago.
Speaker 3: What's going on?
Speaker 4: I'm not sure.
Speaker 10: I saw him out here during the pregame batting practice and doing his routine with Chris Woodwards, So I'm not sure what came up where Mookie Bets was not able to play. But we got that word about thirty minutes ago, and we'll have to wait and see if the Dodgers put out some sort of announcement on why he was scratched. So we'll have to wait and see what the situation is. But I saw Mooki out here, and I saw him in the clubhouse. Who knows, but I guess the most important part is that Mookie Betts is in the starting lineup on Thursday against the Tigers.
Speaker 4: No doubt it.
Speaker 2: Speaking of Thursday, we heard your question to Dave Robbers just a few minutes ago. It's gonna be Blake's now getting the start on.
Speaker 3: The home opener, A big one for him.
Speaker 10: Yeah, big, I mean he is the big fish the Dodgers signed during the off season of all the guys they signed. He was the biggest and a two time Cy Young Award win. He wanted this moment. And not only is it Blake Snell starting for the Dodgers for the home opener, but we got a rare marquee pitching matchup that you rarely see in Major League Baseball these days. The Tigers are throwing out the ragining American League Cy Young Winner and Krek Schoobel. So you got two of the best lefties in the game at Dodger Stadium on Thursday. And here's what Blake Snell said about trying to control all those butterflies and adrenaline on Thursday.
Speaker 4: I don't know.
Speaker 12: I don't know how to.
Speaker 13: I don't know.
Speaker 12: I could say one thing, but it's gonna be different when I walk out there, I don't I can tell you I won't be thinking about Scooba at all or going against him. My only goal be just dominate the own, get us in the dugout so we can hit. That's my only goal.
Speaker 3: But I don't know.
Speaker 12: I would imagine I'll be excited a little nervous, and then once I get out there, it's just like I love ghost, I love pitching, and I can't win a pitch and compete.
Speaker 10: Blake Snell threw a simulated game yesterday Tim just as a final tune up, and he told me that he started to get better feel for his secondary pitches than what he had in Tokyo and what.
Speaker 3: He had in Arizona.
Speaker 10: He's going to need that slider and maybe the most important pitch to Blake Snell, not only on Thursday, but this entire season, is his change up.
Speaker 3: David is driven by Florida. There's one thing we like.
Speaker 2: It's choice is fine yours with the Ford F one fifty gas hybrid, all electric, tough, this march can only be called f one fifty all right? Some updates TV, Evan Phillips, Michael Kopek.
Speaker 4: They're hurt.
Speaker 3: What's going on with those guys?
Speaker 4: Well?
Speaker 10: I talked to Evan earlier today in the brand speaking new Dodger Clubhouse, and he said he's going to throw to hitters tomorrow at Dodgers Stadium, and he's not going to be on the opening day roster. Maybe if he convinces the Dodgers from what they see tomorrow.
Speaker 3: But the fact is, when.
Speaker 10: You have a torn rotator cuff, it doesn't just all of a sudden mend itself. Maybe there's some scar tissue that can help ease the burden of the pain tolerance of that torn rotator cuff, but it's not just going to.
Speaker 1: Get fixed by resting.
Speaker 10: So I think he's going to give it a go for as long as he can go this season, but certainly something to keep an eye on. As far as Michael Kopek goes. He's not here, and I believe there's a good chance you won't see Michael Kopek for at least the first month of the season.
Speaker 8: All Right, Davie, appreciate it.
Speaker 2: We'll check back in with you in just a couple of minutes. Continuing here on Wrongo Casino Dodgers on Deck, We're you gonna hear from Kirby Yates. We'll dive deeper into this pitching matchup. We'll hear from Rick Monday. What up next to you? Dodgers magical moment lead you up to Dodgers and Angels from Dodgers Stadium. I have Tim Kase's World Champion Los Angeles Dodgers Audio Network.
Speaker 1: As we were saying, this is Marongo Casino Dodgers on Jack on the official home of La Dodgers Baseballs.
Speaker 2: It's a Dodgers and Angels the Freeway Series Exhibition Style. Jackson Ferris Jose Soriano. The pitching matchup in the series opener. He'll shift down the five Freeway to Anaheim on Monday and Tuesday.
Speaker 3: First pitch coming up at five to ten. Hot Dog?
Speaker 10: Who wants a hot Dog?
Speaker 1: It's time for the Hawfy Magical Moment. Pitch Magical presented by Hawfey Hot Times.
Speaker 2: Well as we get ready for the twenty twenty five season home opener on Thursday against the Detroit Tigers. There's been a lot of magical moments at Dodger Stadium, and last season, well, one of the biggest of them all the twenty twenty four World Series against the New York Yankees. Extra innings in Game one, when Freddie Freeman hit a home run, the Dodger fans will never forget.
Speaker 1: Yeah three the Dodgers two.
Speaker 5: The bases are loaded to out bottom of the tenth thitting.
Speaker 1: The scenario you dream about.
Speaker 4: Freddy is living.
Speaker 1: First pitch, swinging high fly ball, hit.
Speaker 14: Deep back, Freddie Freeman channeling is inner. Kirk Gibson, Oh walk up home run in Game one of the World Series, they walk off Grand Flam. They celebrate at the play winners six to.
Speaker 2: Three, a moment that Freddy Freeman Dodger fans will never forget, the first walk off Grand Slam in World Series history. As Freddy Freeman and pulling his enter Kurt Gibson with the grand Slam in Game one of the twenty twenty four World Series. This Hofey magical moment brought to by Hofey hot Dogs, Haffy Soakow's local treasure for nearly one hundred years, Hoffy hot Dogs Local and so great. When we come back here on Dodgers on Deck, We'll check back you, o.
Speaker 3: Rick Monday.
Speaker 2: So leading up the first pitch Dodgers and Angels, I'm Tim Kasey's world champion.
Speaker 3: Los Angeles Dodgers Audio.
Speaker 1: Network is Loronzo Casino, Dodgers on Dodgers on Deck, y'all on the official home of LA Dodgers Baseball.
Speaker 2: Dodgers Angels, the Freeway Series Jackson and Farris Jose Sriano. The pitchy matchup Dodgers Baseball's brought to our friends is Zen she hand crafted sushi. It's the best getting ready to enjoy the game. Need a quick meal that's affordable and the whole family can enjoy.
Speaker 3: Pickup zen She hand Crafted sushi.
Speaker 2: Made fresh on site daily by professionally trained sushi chefs with precision, passion, and a tradition. You can taste find Zen She Sushi near the deli counter at rals zen She handcrafton Sushi, always fast, fresh and easy.
Speaker 1: And now joined by David Basse. Here's La Dodgers broadcaster and World Series champion Dodger Rick Monday.
Speaker 10: Rick, it's great to be back in Los Angeles and even better to be close to you and Charlie Steiner for this Freeway series opener.
Speaker 7: Well for our buddy Charlie Steiner, welcome back, and we had lunch yesterday together and we're going to hook him up and put him into harness tonight.
Speaker 4: So that's the good news.
Speaker 7: And as we get ready, it's kind of strange you go to Arizona for spring training and over there you play nineteen games, then you fly over the pond and you play two games that count against the Cubs in Tokyo, which was a sensational series not only for the Dodger's in exposure, but I think for Major League Baseball, I thought it was a wonderful, wonderful thing. You were there. Meanwhile we were hidden in El Segundo. But and then you come back and you have three more exhibition games, which I've always said even as a player, that the Freeway Series Doggers and Angels is a wonderful respite, if you will, in kind of a dress rehearsal for the regular season. And I think if you look at last year going to South Korea and again this year going to Tokyo, coming back and down having the Freeway Series, it gives everyone a chance to get back into the swing of things because during the regular season, baseball becomes very nocturnal because it's majority night games. So now we're getting back into that area. But on this side of the pond, I would say that that series in Tokyo was absolutely terrific.
Speaker 4: You were there and your impression.
Speaker 10: Well show, hey o Tani, we were all there for him. I mean, he could be as humble as he wants, but everybody in that Tokyo Dome, everybody in that country came out in War number seventeen. And how many players Rick can perform on the way he did.
Speaker 7: Well that's the biggest thing we saw him last year after unsettling circumstances that took place had nothing to do with him as far as what he did, and everybody understands as well documented. For him to be able to refocus was I thought amazing last year. And for him to be able to go over there, I mean, he's he could be the governor, he could be the mayor, he could be whatever you want to be in Tokyo.
Speaker 4: That's a big, big burden, and I thought.
Speaker 7: He handled it exceptionally well, to say the least, and to be able to do it and be able to at least from the outside looking in, is if he was able to partition everything away and play the game of baseball. And when he got to home plate, I say, many many times. No one leaves their seats during the regular season. I mentioned a number of times in spring draunning, no one leaves their seats when Otani's on deck and about to hit, and that was the case. You could hear a pin drop when he came to home plate in Tokyo.
Speaker 10: I mean, many players rick the place was filled for him. They wanted to see him do something special, and he delivered. He hit a home run. That's what they came to see.
Speaker 7: Yeah, they just came to see him. There was one line that I read in the papers. There was a couple, a husband and wife. I read the article, and they had gone to the airport when you guys were flying in to Japan, into Tokyo, and they said that we didn't think that we would see Otani, but we wanted to go to the airport and at least breathe the same air. Yeah, as he arrived in his native Japan. So I thought it was just a tremendous series for baseball, with all the pomp and circumstance. I thought it was received so so well from what we were able to discern. You were there in the heat of the moment and it was just delightful to watch.
Speaker 10: And the Dodgers really were in a different weight class than the Cubs in those first two games.
Speaker 7: Without mosting and you hit it right on the nail on the head. It looked like they were in a different weight class, at least for that particular moment.
Speaker 4: So we get good news.
Speaker 7: Freddie Freeman will be in the lineup tonight, although you found out it would not be for an extended period of time, nor does it have to be now when.
Speaker 10: You talked about dress rehearsal, Rick, isn't that the most important part of tonight's scheme.
Speaker 7: Yeah, that and the fact that we're getting sneak previews of what just the incredible Janet Marie Smith has been able to do and the Dodgers were able to do with new construction, locker rooms on both sides, you've got a sneak peek. I haven't seen all of it yet. I haven't seen any of it yet, but we'll get a glimpse of it. And it's really a great calling card for what the Dodgers' ownership has done with his beautiful stadium. It may be the third oldest in Major League Baseball, but you would not know it coming around and looking at all aspects of it. By the way, dwayn McDonald welcome back to because he's been on paternity leave. We got Charlie Steiner back, We've got dwayn McDonald. Well, you're here, but you'll have to leave in some particular.
Speaker 10: Two out of three ain't bad, right.
Speaker 4: Not too bad?
Speaker 7: But you know, hey, you hit that much in baseball, you're doing really really well.
Speaker 10: Well, you're doing great rank.
Speaker 4: Thanks so great to see you too.
Speaker 10: We'll check back in with you and Charlie Steiner a little bit later in the show. For now, we'll send it back to you in the studio.
Speaker 2: Tim all right, thanks loud, DV, Colin and I still here, haven't gone anywhere. Dodgers fans, start your future at California Community College. Financial Land is available to help you with tuition, books, and sometimes even the rent. It's time to take that next big step. Classes can fill up quickly, so enroll today and I can go to college dot Com. Still to come here on Dodgers on Deck, you're gonna get a preview of this pitching matchup. Charlie Steiner is back. We'll be back with Rick Monday, get you those keys to the game. But up next we go high and tight with Kirby Ads, Dodger reliever. Lead you up to game one of this exhibition freeway series Dodgers and Angels. I'm Tim Kas's the world champion Los Angeles Dodgers Audio Network.
Speaker 1: This is Morongo Casino Dodgers Hunting game on your home for LA Dodgers Baseball.
Speaker 2: Leading up to Dodgers and Angels first game to this exhibition Freeways series, Jackson Farris, Jose Soriano, the bitching matchup, first pitch coming up at five, and now what.
Speaker 1: Will likely be veasse fielding insults from a Dodger player.
Speaker 3: It's an engagement of endearment.
Speaker 1: This is high and tight.
Speaker 10: The Dodgers are back home from the first two regular season games in Tokyo, and we're joined right now by veteran Dodger reliever, a new member to the Dodger bullpen, but not a new member to Major League Baseball or the National League West. That is the one and only Kirby Eates. Kirby, thanks a lot for the time, appreciate.
Speaker 8: It, no problem, Thanks for having me.
Speaker 10: So what's it like to be here at Dodgers Stadium for the first time wearing a Dodger uniform.
Speaker 8: Yeah, it's it's a little different.
Speaker 13: I mean, I don't know the numbers, but I feel like I've probably played here the most out of any visiting stadium, so it's always been one of my favorites. So it's kind of cool to be on the home side.
Speaker 10: Yeah, and it will be refreshing that if you do warm up in the game tonight or in Anaheim, it will be back in open air bullpens, unlike in Tokyo.
Speaker 13: Yes, it's uh, you know, we're people again. We got to be a part of the actual stadium. So looking forward to you know, feeling the energy again.
Speaker 10: What was it like in Tokyo as far as the bullpen.
Speaker 8: I mean, it was actually kind of fun to be down there.
Speaker 13: I mean I think we made the best thought of it. But you know, you'd rather kind of be out in the field and have the you know, get to experience the environment and kind of the energy of the stadium instead of you know, running back from the tunnel, getting out on the dugout and then being kind of thrown right into it. It was a little weird, but you know, it was an experience.
Speaker 10: And you're getting a taste of the new Dodger clubhouse experience. Obviously you weren't here last year, but can you compare it to other clubhouses you've been in.
Speaker 8: Yeah, it's very nice.
Speaker 13: You know, I think with the space that they had and you know, what they were capable of doing if they nailed it, you know, I think it's now you could say it's a first class facility. I would agree with that, And yeah, it's very nice. They did great job with the locker room, great job of the weight room, training room, everything.
Speaker 10: Globally Field one of the newest ballparks in baseball. How would you compare the amenities to that.
Speaker 13: It's definitely comparable, you know, the only the Dodgers kind we were kind of at a disadvantage of based on the space that they had. You know, Texas got to build from a clean slate, so you know, in that aspect, I don't think it's kind of fair to compare the two, but I think they're both very, very nice, and you know, it would be one a one b best clubhouses I've been in.
Speaker 10: Hey, Kirby HS has been around for a while. So do you remember the old Dodger Stadium visiting clubhouse.
Speaker 13: I think the first year I got there, they had just remodeled a little bit and kind of gave it a facelift. But the old visiting one was still there and you could kind of you could go check it out if you wanted to. So, you know, I think I just miss the very very old one.
Speaker 10: This new one, though, it's still a work in progress.
Speaker 13: Yeah, it's still work in progress. I mean, you know, it's I believe it or not. It's probably not the worst visiting clubhouse there is. You know, it's just a little small and type for space, but overall it's nice.
Speaker 8: Yeah, all right.
Speaker 10: Facial of approval from Kirby, a to who has seen many clubhouses in his major league career. You've been a part of many bullpens in your career as well. Can you just take us through the organic process of a bullpen coming together?
Speaker 13: Yeah, I think, you know, you just get to know everybody's personality. I think this team it's like, look, we got two new guys, a three me, Tanner and Louis. Everybody else's kind of been knows each other and knows each other's personality. So you know, as the new guys, you just kind of come in, try and fit in.
Speaker 8: And it's been fun. It's a good group. It's fun.
Speaker 13: You know, Bardo keeps the loose down there, Bartow does a really good job, and you know, I just you're looking forward to kind of getting in the role of things and having the season start and kind of, you know, everybody kind of settle in, settle in the roles and you know, really have it become a bullpen.
Speaker 10: And speaking of roles, just being around the team since Dave Roberts took over. It's not necessarily roles when it comes to innings. It's about groupings of hitters. Is that something new to.
Speaker 13: You, Yeah, I would say, yeah. No, I think here they do it a lot differently than a lot of other places. You know, other places kind of focus on the pockets too. I think this is a little bit different the way they do it. But you know, they communicate and tell you exactly what they do they're going to do and where you think you're going to pitch, and you know, just be ready for that. And you know that makes it kind of easier to prepare.
Speaker 10: I've heard of relievers saying they want roles to find so they know when to, you know, get ready for the game, just as long as it's defined for you clearly. Is that a good enough role of an understanding?
Speaker 8: Yeah?
Speaker 13: I think just every guy down there wants clarity and doesn't want to be surprised when the phone rings. You know, you want to be prepared when that phone rings, and so you can go in there and do your job and.
Speaker 8: Help your team win. You know, that's all. That's what it's all about.
Speaker 10: Hey, Opening day starter, right, in front of us. Here, Blake Snell. Hello, hopefully you don't have to work on the nights. He pitches. I want seven innings out of you, Snell.
Speaker 12: Hey, get on Colin Mobile one time.
Speaker 10: Oh, come on, right, Kirby, I demand seven innings from this guy.
Speaker 8: She can go whatever he wants. We'll be ready.
Speaker 13: I think we're armed and ready for it, whether it's six, seven to eight or nine. But you know what, every bullpen guy never complains about those seven innings, those complete games. We you know, we love when we can kick our feet up and not have to worry.
Speaker 10: Well, Kirby, thanks a lot for the time. Mahalo and Aloha means goodbye.
Speaker 8: Right now? All right, Aloha, there he goes.
Speaker 10: Kirby Yates has been our guest and you'll hear and see a lot of him during the season. We'll send it back to you in the studio.
Speaker 3: Tim, all right, thanks to lot DV.
Speaker 2: Dodgers Baseball is brought to you by our friends shit Shaky's Pizza Parlor, the official pizza partner of the Dodgers audio broadcast. When it's game day, it's group day at Shaky's dot Com or lead. You have to first pitch on this Sunday Dodgers and Angels. The Freeway series up next, we'll dive deeper into this pitching matchup.
Speaker 3: Don't go anywhere.
Speaker 2: I'm Tim Kas's the world champion Los Angeles Dodgers Audio Network.
Speaker 1: This is Marongo Casino Dodgers on tack on your home for the Blue all season long.
Speaker 3: Dodgers and Angels.
Speaker 2: Dodgers back home from Japan after taking two from the Cubbies, a couple of days off to get the body clocks right back at it. Now for a three game exhibition series against the Halos tonight from Dodgers Stadium, that is down the Freeway to the Big A on Monday and Tuesday.
Speaker 3: First pitch coming up at five ten.
Speaker 1: And now before the Dodgers hit the dot, we look at the pitching matchup.
Speaker 2: Presented by your Southern California Toyota Dealers. Work hard and play hard in a New Tacoma with an I Force Turbo Charts engine. It's a truck built for the bold See your Toyota dealer today.
Speaker 3: They make it easy.
Speaker 2: Jose Soriano on the mound for the Angels, twenty six year old right hander out of the Dominican Republic. Was signed in twenty sixteen by the Angels. Didn't make his major league debut until twenty twenty three, when he was used primarily as a reliever out of the bullpen forty two innings, three sixty four ERA with fifty six strikeouts in twenty twenty three. Last year, made twenty two appearances twenty starts for the Angels, six and seven with a three forty two ERA and ninety seven strikeouts. He was pitching well for the Halos, but then got some arm soreness in the middle of August, went on the il and never came back and pitched the rest of the season. He throws primarily three pitches fastball, curveball, slider. This spring, Jose Soriano five starts in the Cactus League fourteen to two third innings, nineteen strikeouts with a four thirty ERA. Jackson Ferris on the mound for the Dodgers, twenty one year old left hander six four one to ninety five second round pick at the Cubs in twenty twenty two out of IMG Academy in Florida. He was traded to the Dodgers and the Michael Bush deal last year. Last season in the minor leagues High A Ball, Great Lakes, then Double A Tulsa combined twenty seven starts, three twenty erray one hundred and nineteen strikeouts. He had a one to fifty nine ERA over his last twelve minor league starts last season and held opponents to a one fifty nine batting average during that period. He was the Dodgers Minor League Pitcher of the Year. Dodgers Angels were fifteen minutes away for first pitch keys to the game. Our next I'm Tim Katis's the world champion Los Angeles Dodgers Audio Network.
Speaker 1: As we were saying, this is Marongo Casino Dodgers on deck on the official home of La Dodgers Baseball.
Speaker 2: It's the Dodgers and angel It's a freeway series from Dodgers Stadium. When our team plays at a home, it's important that they have the right plan to protect their house. Dodgers protected their house in twenty, twenty four, fifty two, and twenty nine at Dodgers Stadium last year. The same applies to your home. Always have a plan and follow fire safety tips. For example, did you know you have to clear all brush within one hundred feet of your home. For more information and tips like this. To find out more, visit fire dot CAA dot gov. All right, before first pitch, we head back out to the two guys on the call tonight Charlie Steiner Rick Monday.
Speaker 6: The Dodgers are home at long last. Spring training in Arizona is over. The trip to and from Tokyo has come and gone, and tonight the first to free the Dodgers and the Angels. And it's interesting. The Dodgers have a lefty, Jackson Ferris, who a lot of people have a lot of curiosity about going tonight, and.
Speaker 4: For good reason.
Speaker 7: The lefty wound up being really he was acquired in a trade with the Cubs that was the Michael Bush deal, and if you look at what he did, all he did was go out and become the Dodgers the League pitcher of the year last year. Interesting, this is the first start that he's had any quote unquote spring trending. So I'm a couple of times very impressive. And he's got a very good fans ball. He can move the good line. He says, strike one is the biggest pitch that I throw.
Speaker 6: And you know it sounds simple, but boy, that's exactly right going for the Angels. Tonight, Jose Soriano will detail their lineup. The Dodgers lineup. By the way, Freeman back in the lineup had an issue with his ribs. Until we'll get to the details in just a little bit.
Speaker 2: All right, Thank you, Charlie. Dodgers and Angels. First pitch is next. David Massey has got the post game when it's all over. Enjoy everybody, Happy Sunday. I'm Tim Kates is the world champion. Los Angeles Dodgers Audio Network