Speaker 1: It's Night Side with Dan Ray. I'm going easy Boston Radio.
Speaker 2: Well, welcome back everyone, and again I want to thank the callers. Last hole, we had a really extraordinary group of callers for an extraordinary guest, Professor Jeff Myron f Harvard University, talking about the federal debt and if that doesn't worry about worry you whatever your age is. You know, unless you're ninety five years old and you have no children and no grandchildren, you're home free. But other than that, every person should be worried about it. I just want to thank Professor Jeff Myron, who is just a fabulous guest. Can you imagine having him as a college professor. We're going to change topics. We might get back to that later, but we're going to change topics now and we're going to talk about something that everybody is interested in, and that is the weather. Joining us now is ACI weather meteorologist Isaac Longley, who is a graduate of a great school in Vermont, amongst others, Linden State College. I know some of the the folks in your community, in your your air of expertise, Isaac, who have who have either taught up at Linden State and welcome to Nightside, and I think this might be your your debut experience here. And I got to ask, the last few days and the next few days are the coldest February days I can ever remember as a long time New England or correct me if I'm wrong, I probably am. But welcome to Nightside. How are you tonight?
Speaker 3: Well, Dan, I'm doing all right here. Thank you for the welcome, certainly appreciate that. Also, big shout out there to wynn And' State College. A great program out there. Learned a lot and still continue to learn to this day. So but yeah, really good program up there, and glad to still be here in the northeast, so you know, can't complain about that. But yeah, you know, going to or talking about the cold here, it's been downright cold out there and that is going to continue at least through the middle portion of this weekend. It's not just the cold temperatures, but we have the wind component to deal with that as well. Win gus a forty to fifty miles per hour that adds that much to it and making those temperatures feel that much colder out there.
Speaker 2: Well, you know, it has just been extraordinary. The ice and the rain and the combination. Look, we've had worst weather months. I remember February of twenty fifteen where we had snowstorms almost it seemed twice a week for about six weeks, and I think we racked up about a one hundred and twenty inches of snow from around January twentieth until March first. You probably were a young child back then, but I remember it clearly. But I never remember a month this cold. January is normally the coldest month. That's when you get that that very deep, deep week of cold, at least that's my experience. And then sometimes you get the January thaw, which was like thirty five degrees, and you thought, wow, this is almost tropical. How how unprecedented is this for this amount of you know, sub zero temperatures throughout New England wind chill factors. I mean the wind out there tonight is well in forty fifty miles an hour. I know it's let up a little bit in Boston, but I think this is has been an extraordinary month. And maybe I'm dead wrong, but but you know, am I even close? Am I close to the target? Well?
Speaker 3: Yeah, you're certainly not far off from the target.
Speaker 2: Here.
Speaker 3: And one of the factors that you know, want to bring up here is that the past two to three winters, maybe four winters, it's been warm in the Northeast, and you know, I think that's the factor that we have to take into consideration here, because we've become so accustomed to these milder winter conditions, especially here in New England over the past several winters, that we're just not used to the cold anymore. And so, you know, I think that is a factor that we have to bring in here. Yeah, it's cold out there. We are below our averages for this time of year. Our average for the middle of February here should be righted around forty degrees. And you know, over the next several days here we are going to be seeing high temperatures only in the mid twenties. And again those are the actual temperatures. But when you consider that wind factor in there, when we do get those wind gusts of forty forty five, perhaps he've been up to fifty miles prior, like what we saw earlier today, that's going to bring those accurate weather real field temperatures down to near zero degrees. So we also have to factor and win there and even tomorrow those real field temperatures only in the single digit So it's gonna be one of those days where you just want to bundle up outside. That's if you want to go outside some you know.
Speaker 2: Do you think, what do you is there any as you look long range? And I know you folks do look, Is that this pattern breaking at any point? Or are we stuck in this pattern? I'm I'm not a weather guy as much nearly as much as you are, but I follow it kind of closely, and it looks like all of these storms of following a very similar track and they're just you're just hitting New England. When do we first? When are we going to see a little melting? When are we going to see a little warm up?
Speaker 4: Yeah?
Speaker 3: So I do have some good news at least in terms of the long range forecast here. I think as we had toward the end of the month, I think we're looking at a relatively less story pattern, especially considering the extremely story pattern that we've seen for pretty much the whole month of February so far. But as we head into the end of the month, I think we are going to see more areas of high pressure build into the east, setting up more tranquil conditions, if you will, so, I think overall we're looking at relatively quieter conditions. Can't rule out a quick clipper system or two that can move across area, but I think those will be relatively brief compared to some of these major storms that we have been experiencing. And I do think the temperatures are going to come up at least close to average. I don't think we're seeing any significant warm ups anytime soon, but it looks like at least in the longer range here, as we head into the early part of next week, I think we do finally see those temperatures get up at least the high temperatures right around forty degrees, maybe even a little higher than that. So we will get at least closer to average as we head throughout the next ten days or so.
Speaker 2: I'm still waiting for the January thought. That's what I'm hoping for, whether it comes in February March, Isaac, thanks very much. One of the guys were taught up there. I don't know if you ever ran into Joe Delo up at Linden State, but he's taught up there for many years. And as a great friend and has been a guest on this program as well.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that name definitely rings a bell to me. He was before my time up there, I graduated.
Speaker 2: So you look like a young guy. So I got that. I got that. Yes, yeah, more or might we called vintage here, that's for sure. Isaac. Appreciate your time tonight, Thanks very much. Where you've given us at least a little hope here that by the end of February it might it might get a little more tolerable here in New England. Thanks Isaac. I appreciate your time tonight. Thank you so much. Yeah, you're welcome, Dan, talk to you soon, Okay, thanks very much. All right, we get back. I'd love to hear from you, okay, And whether you're a new Englander or you're someone new to the region, what's it been like for you the last few days? And I very rarely do we talk weather, look if there's a big blizzard or something like that, but I would love to hear from your experience. I mean, I was out yesterday in the rain trying to chop up or move ice a little bit, and it was just unmovable. And today I looked out and this has been as tough a month of February. Now I realize we're just a little more than half done with February. Okay, but this has been as tough a month of February as I can remember, unless you go back to twenty fifteen and then it was snow. Okay, this is just raw cold. So let's talk a little weather here. Let's have a little bit of fun. Maybe what have you done to walk to keep your house a little warmer? There's all say. Obviously, the additional heating costs that all of us are going to have inflicted upon us next next bill cycle, it's going to be an expensive month. Anything you do in here, any tips that we can share. Let's talk weather and reaction to weather. This has been a tough, tough month. Let's talk about it, and maybe by talking about it we can make it go away. Six one seven, two, five four ten thirty or six one seven, nine three one ten thirty. And if any of you are living in other parts of the country and want to brag a little bit about how comfortable it is where you are, look, I'm happy with New England compared to what has happened in other parts of the country. The fires in California, the hurricanes in North Carolina, they're still recovering from it. So we're blessed in that. Regard the tornadoes that hit the Plain States, all of that. I'm not complaining, but I'm I want to get this weather out of here, and maybe by doing a little bit of this tonight, we can convince the weather that it's time for it to change. Maybe just from a metaphysical point of view, our conversations tonight will help warm things up. We're all in this together. Coming back on Nightside.
Speaker 1: Now, back to Dan Ray live from the Window World Nightside Studios on WBZ News Radio.
Speaker 2: So talking about what your experience has been with weather here in New England for the last month, but specifically February. I mean normally in New England you get really cold weather in January and you generally have a week in January that's the worst winter, worst weather week of the year from the point of view of being cold. Just like in late July or August. There will always be one week.
Speaker 5: When it's ninety degrees and it's you know, June is lovely, September is great, most of you know, fourth of July June is pretty good.
Speaker 2: Late July, you're gonna get that bad weather week. For some reason, it hasn't quit here in New England. Let's go to Marty in Florida. Marty, I don't rub it in too much, but I'm sure it's a lot nicer in Florida tonight than it is in New England. How are you well?
Speaker 6: First of all, right, now it's fifty one degrees over here, and I heard from some sort you'll excuse my voice, I have what I call a global warming throat condition.
Speaker 2: Uhcha? Somebody that.
Speaker 6: Somebody said that in Florida, if it's less than sixty degrees, it's called cold. And just to let you know, when I was a cop in New York City, New York City, if it was thirty degrees or cold, that they called it a cold emergency. Jacksonville forty degrees and they call it a cold emergency.
Speaker 7: I'm going to ask you a question.
Speaker 6: What do you think is the biggest weather And this is not political, the biggest weather killer summer or winter in Florida?
Speaker 2: Oh why some summer summer in August in Florida. I got the ac running from morning.
Speaker 6: Till night my house that I'm living in now for the last thirty years didn't come with air conditioning. We had a nut that I bought this house from you lived. He was from wherever it was, Ohio, and we had to spend a few thousand dollars to have air conditioning and heat put in right. So a lot of these houses, also in the Rockaways in New York, a lot of the houses on the water were not meant for heath. My house is a cold house, but I love it because it's good when hurricanes come. But also, what do you know about El Nino and La Nina.
Speaker 2: Well, I know that one of them says it's going to be more rainy or less rainy. I know that people assume that depending upon the heat of the ocean it's in the Pacific, the Pacific Ocean on the west coast of South America, that that dictates our weather patterns. As I understand that I'm not an expert in that area, Marty.
Speaker 6: But that's Can I tell you something fast but funny that happened to me about eight years ago that I think you'd appreciate Again, Joe, it's not political. My wife has a cousin in Norway.
Speaker 7: We went to visit her.
Speaker 6: July fifth, we left New York to go visit my wife's cousin in Norway. I looked at the mac where she lives is above the Arctic Circle.
Speaker 7: So I came.
Speaker 6: From having a barbecue on Long Island. I took my winter coat with me and I says to my wife, we're enjoying fourth of July, and now you're going to have me living in an igolo because I'm ignorant.
Speaker 8: Right.
Speaker 6: We went to a place in.
Speaker 9: Norway and we found out that they have a.
Speaker 6: Little bit of eighty something degree weather. It was warm, and also to have a periodical infestation of what they call cleagues, their horseflies. So what an idiot I was thinking, you know, above the Arctic circle.
Speaker 2: But well, I can tell you this I was. I was in Norway, north of Oslo, which is still below the Arctic Circle. This has got to be in the early nineteen eighties, near the near the city of Bergen, which is right on the coast, and we were on a mountain I think it was called blastklavin Uh and we had a couple of six as a group of us, we had a couple of six packs of beer that chilled in the in the snow on that mountain, So I mean, you know, to get your elevation up a little bit. In Norway, you can have snow in This was in July. This was called July.
Speaker 6: Her cousin's house had air conditioning, a low air conditioning in Norway, and actually if you looked at the scenery, it looked like something it could have been on Long Island.
Speaker 9: We had a great time.
Speaker 6: We want to go back, but you're probably your six pack is very expensive in Norway, most expensive place I've ever been to.
Speaker 2: Well, I could tell you this Norway was beautiful. It was interesting looking at the architecture. The roofs on the homes often are very steeply pitched, you know, so that when the snows come, the snow slids off. In Oslo was the only place that I've ever eaten whale meat. It was like a whale steak. I remember that well.
Speaker 6: At the same at at the same time, we stayed with her cousin's son because it was close to the airport and I was I was having a jones I was jonesing for bagels. So guess what they did. They got us some lender bagels. They weren't new York bagels, but in Norway, what do you want?
Speaker 2: It's okay. Now. The year that I went and we're also I was in Stockholm and I walked down the main street of Stockholm and you can look this up if you want. The word for sale meaning you know them or sale s A l E is ray r e A, which is how my last name is spelled. And I thought, what a wonderful welcome. They were all flags that said ray ray Ray, ray ray actually and had them had it shipped back to America.
Speaker 6: Yeah, that sounds almost like a mystical experience.
Speaker 2: Oh it really was. I'm walking down and saying, aren't these people nice? They must have No, I didn't. I just thought to myself, this is very cool. I mean, you knew that what that meant with sale And he asked someone and oh, yes, that shows it is the It was like the middle of July. It was. It was great. It's Marty. Great to hear your voice is always sounds strong. This is the first time you and I have talked and politics hasn't come up.
Speaker 6: Nah, we don't need politics. But I want to say one thing. The bad the downside about our visit to Norway is We found that later on that her cousin first cousin's husband he developed als and he died of als.
Speaker 2: Oh that's a tough one than that.
Speaker 6: List in a great show.
Speaker 2: Keep it up, thanks Marny what you call as always be there, Thanks so much. Have a great one six one, seven, two, five, four ten thirty one line there and a couple of lines at six months, seven nine, three, one, ten thirty. How are you getting through this month of February? Did you get out today? I was out briefly, but the wind was unbelievable. I mean, I'm used to Normally you get wind here in New England, in Boston in March, that's the windy month. Uh. You know, normally February you get snow. Okay, but you also know that the sun's a little higher, the snow's going to melt the ice that we have that's not melting until the temperature gets up around forty degrees. I'm telling here this is this is tough here in New England right now. And you can get in this pattern. I remember in the in the winter, it would have been January February twenty fifteen. That's that was our toughest winter in terms of snow one hundred and twenty inches or so in the Boston area in a period of about six weeks from the middle of January to the end of February. The storm just kept coming. The year before, For those of you who are in the Atlantic region, New Jersey, Maryland, Delaware, Virginia, you got hit with snowstorm after snowstorm after snowstorm in the winter of would have been twenty thirteen and twenty fourteen. I remember talking to people, that's a winter that you remember down there. We got it the next year and it just kept tracking over New England and it didn't stop. Join the conversation. Let's talk about how you're doing with the weather. Is there anyone out there who's enjoying it. I have some neighbors who went skiing this weekend. I know they enjoyed it. They had a great time. But it's been miserable. It's been a miserable month of February. The Super Bowl is over. There's nothing left in February when you think about it. I mean, we got to get to March, and then you get to Saint Patrick's Day and maybe it's spring coming back.
Speaker 1: On night side, you're on night Side with Ray on w B Boston's news radio.
Speaker 2: Pegg you much al back to the phones. We got a good Bruce in Howell, Bruce. I bet it's a little windy in Hull tonight. How are you tonight?
Speaker 7: Oh my goodness. I walked out and I am practically got blown over. The wind is so strong. I'll tell you it really almost blew me over.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I had that experience.
Speaker 7: Yeah.
Speaker 2: So, I don't know how long if you were in a native New England or not, but you ever remember it being this cold in February? Uh?
Speaker 7: Oh? He as a child, I can also remember. I grew up in Connecticut. I can also remember throwing snowballs at cars going by our our street because there were big mounds of snow that ran the whole length of the street, covered us up as ten year olds. Oh yeah, I've never seen anything like that.
Speaker 2: But the Statute of Limitations and that stuff is run, Bruce, So it's not a problem.
Speaker 7: Oh yeah, for sure, for sure, it's not the same anymore.
Speaker 2: I just don't remember it being this cold. It's a snowy month in New England, and there was never more snowy than twenty fifteen. But the cold this close.
Speaker 7: I don't recall the cold either. Yeah, and I've been here. Let's see.
Speaker 2: I know the climate people are going to say, well, this, this just proves that the Earth is warming and climate.
Speaker 9: Change because.
Speaker 2: We come up.
Speaker 7: Yeah, that could possibly come up for sure.
Speaker 2: Are you doing anything? Yeah? What are you doing to? I just I'm staying in, to be honest with you. I mean, that's what I'm doing. I'm limiting my amount of time outside.
Speaker 7: Yeah, other than beating my two younger sisters. We're all in our seventies. Other than beating my two younger sisters three times a week at Rummy Cube, I stay in the house when it's cold.
Speaker 2: Is that a card game? I assume? Is that a card game?
Speaker 7: Rummy? No, Rummy Cube is is kind of rum any rules where you do three of a kind, four of a kind or a run three, four, five, seven, eight nine, all the same suit, but it's done with with tiles like domino, and there are no four suits. There's just two colors or four colors. There's no suits.
Speaker 2: Is that like that similar? Is it? Is it like a backgam thing or No?
Speaker 7: No, nothing like that gaming at all that I that I can think of enough.
Speaker 2: Yeah, no, I'm not good on card games or or are those sort of games either. When you said, are you saying rummy like Jim Rummy, Jim Rummy, Yeah, you say Jim Rummy.
Speaker 7: If you play Jim Rummy. The object of Jim Rummy is to get a run let's say, four or five sixty seven of spades, yeah, four or four fours of each suit, one of each suit, and then you play all your cards and out you go. But you have to have runs and suits, you know, three or four of a kind. Well, instead of doing it with a poker card deck, do it with dominoes.
Speaker 2: And that's what Yeah, I'm familiar with dominoes.
Speaker 7: Yeah, okay, yeah, yeah, and so.
Speaker 2: That my favorite as a kid, that's domino Oh.
Speaker 7: Yeah, oh yeah, absolutely yeah.
Speaker 2: Hey, brou thanks very much, stay warm. Got any tips?
Speaker 7: The reason I called?
Speaker 9: Yeah, and I got to.
Speaker 7: The quick reason I called. I'm not sure if it relates exactly, but I learned a valuable blessing. My bathroom sink has been leaking, not really a major leak, not running, just a drip and a drip and a drip and a drip. And I heard something on on TV or radio that you know these add up? Well, I put a cup under it.
Speaker 9: One day.
Speaker 7: I've been I've been losing thirty six gallons of water of hot water heated by gas a day for the last year.
Speaker 2: Wow.
Speaker 7: So a note to your customers when they say a drip adds up, man, it does.
Speaker 2: Well, that's interesting that that you had the patience to do that. But good for you, and people should be.
Speaker 7: Aware of it because I only did it because I saw something on TV or radio.
Speaker 2: You know, yeah, no, but but that's that's an incredible thirty six gallons a day.
Speaker 7: Incredible thirty six gallons a day. I measured it, and uh, that's a.
Speaker 2: Gallon in the half. That's that's a gallon in half an hour.
Speaker 7: Yep.
Speaker 2: Yikes. Yeah, well now it makes it sound get that plumber over there. And and even though the bill's going to be expensive in the long run, it's gonna save you some money.
Speaker 7: Two days later, I had a new sink.
Speaker 2: Good for you. Good for you, Bruce. Thanks for the timp really do yep. Bye bye, thank you, Bruce, talk to you soon. Let me go next to Karen in Lemonster. I know it's cold in Lemonster. Karen.
Speaker 10: I hope you're staying in y col Yeah, and we had a We were one of the towns that lost our power KA early in the morning, watching TV and gonna have breakfasts, and power went out and then came back on, and I thought everything was fine, and it went out for good around noon, and I called National Grid. I get the letter at the notices and braille, so I found the customer service, called them up and they said I'd get it by two, the power on by do Nope, we got it by around six thirty seven o'clock.
Speaker 2: Was this yesterday or Saturday?
Speaker 10: This was today?
Speaker 9: Oh?
Speaker 2: Today?
Speaker 9: Oh?
Speaker 10: Yeah, yeah today. Maybe I didn't make that leak I.
Speaker 2: Got National Grid didn't didn't. You used to have UNITIL.
Speaker 10: I remember when I lived in fitch for a gift.
Speaker 2: Yeah. UNITIL had a really tough time. I think it was the winter of twenty eleven. They had more powers. Yes, yes, yeah, that was a disaster.
Speaker 10: And even when I lived in Fitchburg they had a little some power outers and leave had a couple of ice storms in nineteen ninety six. I thought it was being a cold winter.
Speaker 7: It wasn't.
Speaker 10: In ninety seven, I thought we're going to have cold winter. We didn't. But we we were out of power for about a day and a half and people were inviting us over to the house, and we stayed home and we were happy. When the power came on.
Speaker 9: We meet.
Speaker 2: Well, I would love to know if anybody has looked up the Farmer's Almanac and see if they if the Farmer's Almanac nailed February, because that should have been very clear, you know that the language should should not be one of those. Well, sometimes it gets a little chili in February.
Speaker 10: Oh yeah, Oh no, it's been really cold, and I've stayed in a lot more and I've had cancel I get this this therapy, I had to cancel at once, and people who come over and do some cleaning us up. We've had to cancel days and things. And it's you know, I'm of cold winters, but not this gold. Yeah, we'll put you remember, I mean that was.
Speaker 2: Yeah, well that was an extraordinary winter, that one. But normally it's January that's the cold month, and then February as it warms up a little bit to get some snow, and then March you get the winds of March, and then April, fine, you're back to the to the normal to the good weather. But if anybody's out there who has a copy of the Pharmacy Almanac, I would love to know what it says about February and New England of this day.
Speaker 10: Yeah, but in twenty fifteen, most of February was cold.
Speaker 2: I think, well, snowy.
Speaker 9: I think that, Oh yeah, that was the snow. Yeah.
Speaker 2: Well, it hadn't snown all winter. And then about the middle of January it started to snow.
Speaker 4: And yeah, I remember that.
Speaker 10: And I said, and I said, this ship. When we weren't getting much snow in January but cold, I said, you just wait till February. We're gonna get snowing.
Speaker 2: You could feel it of the day. The other thing is I remember, and I guess it was in late January. One day I was sitting at the kitchen table and just pulling together some of my uh, you know, W two forms and ten ninety nine's for tell. Yeah, yeah, And I looked down at one point and I saw one little drop of water and I thought, gee, what you know, did I did? I have a glass of war And that was the first drop of what we ended up with about forty thousand dollars worth of week. We oh no, oh yeah, oh had you know dams ice dams on our gutters because the snow was so heavy. Oh yeah, and thank god we had.
Speaker 10: That year it happened.
Speaker 2: No no, no, no, no, this was still this was would have been in twenty fifteen.
Speaker 10: Oh yes, we almost had to be evacuated from our apartment. We didn't, Thank goodness, stuff it was. We had to be evacuated. I was in a car in a van and somebody helped me back. And then I got back to my apartment and I'd forgotten to pack my pajamas.
Speaker 2: Well, under the circumstances, you probably wanted to sleep in warm clothes when you think about it. All right' gonna let you run is always. Thanks so much to hearing your voice. And I wish it's some better weather in Lemonster.
Speaker 10: Okay, Oh I wish. Oh I think we will, but I think we're just gonna have to. You know, we get that, We get all the powerholders stuff out here, you know, in this part of Messatu and the snow.
Speaker 4: All right, thanks, thanks, good night.
Speaker 2: You too, thanks so much. Let me go to Donna. She's out in Berkeley, Massachusetts. Berkeley, Massachusetts. That's down on this kind of the South coast, right.
Speaker 8: Donna, Yes it is.
Speaker 2: This is Donna the Diaper Lady. She's she's out on her appointed rounds.
Speaker 7: Hi Donna, nice, hear your voice.
Speaker 4: Well, I'm the night yours headed to work, and I love your program.
Speaker 2: Oh this is the night I'm sorry I had you mixed up with Donna the Diaper Lady. Your voices sounded very familiar.
Speaker 4: Oh well, no, I'm a night nurse, but I don't do a lot of diapers because I work in maternity.
Speaker 2: Okay, that I was, I kind of I was correct for the wrong reasons. So this is it's got to be cold on the roads out there today. What's it reading on your your car thermometer at this point twenty.
Speaker 8: Something twenty two?
Speaker 2: Yes, yeah, I bet you feel a lot colder than that.
Speaker 4: It is. It is, But I had a cute little story.
Speaker 1: One.
Speaker 8: My electric bill is unbelievable right.
Speaker 4: Now, and we have that taut municipal lighting plant and it has doubled since for the winter, so I'm not looking forward to this month's bill. The other thing, with the rain yesterday, my driveway is a sheet of ice, and I'm like, oh, I said, oh my gosh, and my husband, what the heck are we going to do with that? But I had to laugh because I'm a true New England or you know, Blizard of seventy eight, all that good stuff. But I had to laugh because you talked about the different people coming from different areas, and I worked with a lot of travel nurses from Florida.
Speaker 8: Yes, I wish you could see.
Speaker 4: Them going out in the morning. I'm going out my fleece and they're going out in their North States, bundled up Minton's hat, scoffs and everything because they're coming from the South.
Speaker 8: And I have to laugh.
Speaker 4: It's really cute to see them coming and going.
Speaker 2: Well, their blood is a little thinner than ours. You know what's funny. I only learned about travel nurses seven or eight years ago. I don't know. I remember how it happened. A friend of mine was spending a lot of time in the hospital and I would visit him on a fairly regular basis. And this thing about travel nurses is it kind of a cool idea. If you're a young woman or whatever, you or a man, and you and you are willing to travel or enjoy traveling, you you're licensed as a nurse in one state and you're able, I guess, to use that your license in you know, certain other states. They have some sort of reciprocity. So you can live in Massachusetts for a few months and then southern California. It's you know, if if you are kind of footlo footloose and fancy free, you can see the country and learn a lot about the country.
Speaker 4: I'll tell you the wonderful women that I work with, strong, strong women. You know, they have families, but this is something that to get you know, they have to have I work with most women, so but they have to have a strong support system at home to do what they're able to do. And and they you know, they'll work and a God bless them, they do twelve hours. My feet only do eight. But they'll work seven or eight in a row and then they'll go home for a few days, you know, And I always say, God bless them. I personally couldn't do it. But one nurse that I just work with, she's now in Hawaii, so she's doing living the dream a little bit. But these women work hard for the time frame that they're here. It's under I know, but.
Speaker 2: You just think of how many other professions would allow you to do that where you can sort of when you're young and maybe you're footloose and fancy free. You you're not involved in a in a relationship or a marriage, and all of a sudden, you spend a couple of months in Hawaii. A couple of months, you could spend two months in Hawaii, two months in Alaska, two months in Massachusetts, and two months in Florida, and you could be in fod really different parts of the country within a year for sure.
Speaker 4: And they and they, well, if you're young and free, they can do that. But a lot of women I work with have families, and it's actually amazing what they accomplished for their families.
Speaker 11: Yeah, so well, and nurse And I love doctors, but I have a special feeling towards nurses because as great as doctors are, doctors are great, Uh, it's the nurses who are there to help you when you're really when you're hurting, puppy, and they pull you through it much. Yes, the doctors prescribe and the nurses describe what's going on.
Speaker 2: It's what I say, that's true.
Speaker 8: True.
Speaker 4: Well, I love your Lightheaded program tonight. I wanted to tell you that.
Speaker 2: Well, thanks, I appreciate that. Just wanted to kind of, you know, light it up. Last last hour we talked with Jeffrey Myron from Harvard University and we were talking about the federal debt. That was anything but lighthearted, but I'm boning lighted it up a little bit. Thanks to be safe, be stafe at work, and thank you for what you're doing.
Speaker 4: Okay, Thanks Dan, take here, God.
Speaker 8: Bless right back at you.
Speaker 2: Thanks, don take a very quick break here. Six one seven, two five four ten thirty six one seven nine three one ten thirty. I got Gary and Jack coming up. I got some room for you with those two numbers. Six one seven, two five four ten thirty six one seven nine three one ten thirty. I am more than happy to to take this into the next hour if you would like, and just talk about living in New England. There will be that ninety degree heat wave this summer where for three days the temperature at Logan Airport of four days in a row will be over and we will be pining for the cool breezes of February. But right now we could use a little warm that's for sure. Coming back on nights side.
Speaker 1: Now, back to Dan Ray live from the Window World night Sight Studios. I'm WBSY News Radio her.
Speaker 2: We're talking weather, cold weather in New England, Gary z and Ruber and Gary next on tack right ahead.
Speaker 8: I gotta admit your shows. I don't listen to the whole four hours have been awesome Wayley, And I'll tell you how because you're not talking politics. You talk about human life, which is awesome. And I want to get more to the point. Elderly. There's a woman I know, she's about sixty five years old, was an elderly complex. She pushes her market basket basket from where she lives with all kinds of other elderly people up the street all the time to go shopping in the morning. My question is this, it's winter. Isn't there any services to provide a ride to the elderly so they can show like decent human beings where she doesn't have anybody in her life, no family, nobody give.
Speaker 2: Her ride, so she actually pushes the carriage you mean, from from the store to her home.
Speaker 8: She yeah, she keeps the carriage at her house and she pushes it because she probably needs that for leverage, you know, because after all you're older holding on to something that's like a walker.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: You other thing?
Speaker 2: Can I make a suggestion, Gary, go ahead, Why don't you just someday when you see her ask her on a bad weather day. I kind of imagine pushing a shopping cart with the squeaky wheels in ice and snow. Why not take it upon yourself to say to her, Hey, next time you need to go make your list, I'll drive you there, I'll do my shopping, and i'll drive you home.
Speaker 9: Good point.
Speaker 8: You're exactly right. But one thing is this there. When I'm done cleaning offices and I'm done, like a combination of five, six, seven o'clock in the morning, my number one thing is go to mocketbasket and get home right away. I can't be shooting the breeze and set. I'm tired. But I heard your suggestion. One more thing. The homeless. Okay, the police, the fire departments who are out there. It must be like mandatory if you see someone homeless and they're out in this weather and so forth, they have to be grabbing them, the police and say get the uh police. Uh.
Speaker 2: Well, first of all, they can't do that. They can encourage them, but they can't threaten them with incarceration.
Speaker 8: Talking about putting some somewhere for the nights, being outside.
Speaker 2: Well, they do that in Boston, and they do it elsewhere, and they try to encourage people, but there are people out there who do not want to be in shelters. Gary, I gotta keep going. Do that once with the woman, pick out, one time with her, and you know what, You'll have a friend for life.
Speaker 8: Good point is all right?
Speaker 2: I appreciate better. All one candle to curse the darkness. Thanks pal. Let's go next to Jack down to the Cape Jack on Cape Cod.
Speaker 9: Hey Jack, welcome, Hey Dan, You're awesome. That was a super suggestion that we we need to look out for each other. I really appreciate that. Regarding the current the weather that we're experiencing, yes, it it really is indicative of the weakening of the magnetosphere of Earth. That is that that's the cause of this type weather that we're experiencing.
Speaker 2: And I've never heard I've never heard that explanation. Jack. Are you a meteorologist in the navy.
Speaker 9: That's what I was when I when I and.
Speaker 2: What and what is being weakened? Did you say? Could could you repeat that?
Speaker 9: The weakening of the magnetosphere of Earth. Now around Earth we have the AWL.
Speaker 2: How long has that been going on? What? What are we talking about here? Something that's of recent development.
Speaker 9: It's been you know, we've I've been watching it. It's been a couple of years. But it's it's it's what what What causes the oscillation of the or the disoscillation of the jet stream? The magneto, the magnetosphere is this kind of a shield around Earth. Without the magnetosphere, life on Earth wouldn't exist.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so that that deflects rays of the Sun, is what you're telling me?
Speaker 9: Many?
Speaker 2: Yes, the layer, it's kind of like the ozone layer.
Speaker 9: You here's a thought I want you to file, and let's use your producer. Let's find a real atmospheric scientist. They can talk about the atmosphere from the surface of the Earth into the outer space. You know they're out there, and.
Speaker 2: Take that suggestion earth surface. Okay, sounds great. I jacked up, flat up against it because I got the eleven o'clock news. But thank you, You've raised an issue that maybe people will respond to. Thank you so much some show. Thanks buddy, appreciate it. You contributed to it. Thank you much. Here comes the eleven o'clock news. I would love to continue to talk about this, and if not, we'll pick another subject. But feel free to join the conversation back after the eleven o'clock news here on night Side