Speaker 1: Bill cunning in the Great America, and welcome this sunny Tuesday afternoon in the Tri State.
Speaker 2: The rain's going away till the weekend. We'll see what happens.
Speaker 1: Then Red's baseball kicks off about five forty five to night. Terrible game last night, Singer, he was off key completely. It's terrible and Red's put up eight runs, didn't do any good. But nonetheless back out at tonight with the Nationals national stink. So we'll see what happens with that. But the city announced big pow wow a by having extra police patrols from Central Parkway to Liberty on two blocks. I think it's up Vine Street and back in Main Street. So cops when it's eighty five or ninety five degrees will be walking up and down from Vine Street, getting some great extracife, maybe stopping in the graters here and there, talking to the residents, finding what's going on. Of course, relying upon Iris Rowley. The mother of Cincinnati is Iris Rowley, and she'll be there with her six figure salary talking to the resident to see what they need. But a man that has perspective on all this is the great Sergeant Dan Hills. He's now more or less retired with frontline advisors thirty five years in the mean streets of Cincinnati. Now has gotten visa, has a passport. I think he lives in Warren County. Got out alive, and Sergeant Dan Hills, welcome again to the Bill Cunningham Show. Since you know where the bodies are buried all over Cincinnati, can you tell me the law enforcement value of having police officers in a defined area flooding the district with two or three police officers leaving bear all the other streets in OTR. There's about seven or eight total blocks, and they're going to patrol two of the seven or eight.
Speaker 2: Will that help, Dan Hills? Will that help?
Speaker 3: I think it might help three seed easy, It might help the dinner reservation numbers might have been down a little because of all the news and evolving over a rhine. So we need we need to we need to have the wine flowing, Willie. We need to have the you know, the the flaming yon being being cooked just right, and and those restaurants and those things down there. You know, that's that's that's very vital to the way the city wants to see itself. The downtown flourishing, and of course the the vision, the vision of uh three CDC and then and over the rhine that has never I don't think it's it's come to fruition quite as as they had hoped that it would. You know, it's a lot of change. It's a whole lot different than when I was standing down there in the riots in two thousand and one. But uh, it's it's it's come a long way, but Willy, it's got a long long way to go from where they where they hope it is. And and so that's what I think the value is. And you can we could debate whether that's wrong or right. I mean, if if here somebody that's living in Mount Washington, the war Hyde Park or Taylor Park or something like that, and you haven't seen you haven't seen a police officer in a month of Sundays, then you might say, well, this is this ain't too cool. But uh, you know, the city sees itself, you know, going up or down, on on on how downtown slashed over to rhyme progresses, and so it Yeah, I think I I read in the in the news where the union president said that this saint, this ain't the hours of the burglaries and the and the except from cars and all that stuff. And I would agree. And but it is the hour of like I said, a glass of wine and maybe a mixed drink for those who enjoy that going down to that air myself, like you said, I'm in Warren County. Uh, my wife and I When we say we're going downtown, yeah, or we're going to go downtown, We're either going to downtown Levinmon or downtown Loveland.
Speaker 2: That's it.
Speaker 3: You know, every down. Then we'll go to downtown Milford when we really want to, we want to make it up a little bit, we'll go down. Yeah, we'll go to downtown Milford. But you know it's it's uh, the city wants the downtown to flirt. And that's not like I said, I I can't sit there and just throw a hand grenade after hangarnade at that. That's it. There is value in that. But again, if if your airways are reaching out to the farther reaches of the city, uh, those in Westwood and Covedale and uh Oakley and some of these places, they might be saying, well, where's my police patrol? I'm sure like because those step fromatos aren't just happening in O t R. Really, those stephf fromatos and the stolen cars are happening all over the city, and burgeries are happening all over the city. And you know, we're still down one hundred and fifty or more police. And when we're doing a concentrated effort because there's such there's such tremendous issues down there with the crime numbers and O TRUH, when you're doing those concentrated numbers, it does eventually have an effect on the the other areas that you can't you can't you can't pull a rabbit out of hat and you can't you can't just make something out of nothing that they're they're half those those patrols are coming from somewhere. And I know that's the oldest headline. I think the oldest headlines in the in the history of of of reporting is stone Sell will add more patrols house how state troopers are going to add more patrols for this event or that event? Like where are they getting all these new people? I think it's Uh, sometimes it's it's a little bit smoking mirrors, really adding patrols of smoking ears and this is a little smoking mirrors, you know, having a couple of people walking, it should have some positive effects from those few blocks. I personally wouldn't want to be the one walking those the streets you might have you might have somebody that might not be a big fan, you know, cause you cause you concern, shall I say, down in those areas you might feel a little uncovered at times.
Speaker 1: Well, you know, I was Sergeant Dan Hill's facts are stubborn things, and when I had your successful successor in title on Officer ken Kober, he related the fact that in the first six months of this year there were one one hundred car break ins, which means you're heading toward over two thousand car break ins. We're going to head toward about four hundred wounded, about eighty to ninety will be killed. The burglaries and rocks through windness to steal the liquor is unbridled. Channel five last night had some well intended I'm sure, a liberal Democratic female woman operating some sort of a dress shop on Vine Street saying she'd been broken into four times since the first of the year, and at some point she quit calling the police because there's nothing, nothing that they're going to do. And it's because when the arrest are made, you get to juvenile court or common police court, and the criminals are out before the paperwork is done. Then one sentencing takes place, nothing occurs. And so for those who say it's political, it really isn't. Twenty years ago the Democrats controlled everything in the city of Cincinnati and things are not bad. They've gone from Democrats to progressives, to Marxist to communists to keep going further left. And that, mom, Donna, you think it's possible to be a communist elected?
Speaker 2: The answer is yes.
Speaker 1: And so what is the sergeant dan Hill's solution to rampant, unbridled crime, mobs of teenagers taking over streets, whether it's into Oakley or in Clifton or on the banks. What is the Dan Hill's solution? Because if it isn't politics, I think Charlie Luken was, for example, I think he was a Democrat, and I think Brendan Cole was a Democrat. I don't know about Tom Striker politics, probably a Democrat. And so what changed in twenty years? The politics are the same, but the results are different.
Speaker 2: Why well, Willie.
Speaker 3: I think you have so many issues to just brush on them. You just have the rot and decay of society that continues to go further and further left. I was talking to a police friend just earlier this morning and saying, like, how many generations has it been where there is not a mother and father involved in, you know, the raising of kids. I started the mean streets of Cincinnati in nineteen eighty seven, and sometimes the bad guys to deal with, you know, they had a mother that cared or something that we could report to. I remember working with this old old policeman, Dave Shaum, God rest his soul. He we used to threaten bad guys he knew with telling their mothers on him, and they would, they would, they would, don't do that, don't do that offer. I don't tell my mom, you know, I'll get that warrant taken care of. Well, let's go take care of it. And how much that's changed. There was always a mother, maybe a grandmother, maybe a grandfather on occasions that was involved. But now you have so many generations as the generations turn over quickly because you have babies having babies. And that police friend I was talking to now, he says, he says, do you remember when you were a young policemen. He had talk to the kids, and they would aspire to be a baseball player, football player, basketball player, something like that. He says, Now these kids aspire to be thugs. That's what they want. They want to be thugs. They have no other hero worship than the thuggery around them. So you have societal rot. And you know the fact that we don't take care of the little things anymore leads to societal rot. Look at the homeless stuff down that time you brought up my front line advisor's work. I often represent correction deputies and predisciplinary hearings and the third shifters have early morning hearings, and I'll be down there and walk around see all the home almost well, this is not this morning, but yesterday morning. And uh, I had hearings both mornings. I'm walking and it's still, you know, it's just now getting little haze of light. And in the little pocket of a business was a man sleeping. And that man, well he was only half asleep because he had his jars down and let me see radio. He was giving himself some pleasure as he lay there on his side, facing into the into the door. And I think, well, you know. I guess in fact, it's become these folks bedroom. So if that's how he wakes up, uh doing that. But but I just thought of the rot of of the inner city into the decay. And there's probably a couple other homeless people sleeping within sight of of this. So do you do you want to have a business, Willie where you come down to unlock your doors and there's uh, there's something great. Big fellow there lay laying and made bed bed way your your entrance way, and and he's and he's sitting there, I don't know, thinking of thinking of some sort of pornographic thing in his mind while he's a pleasuring making self feel making himself feel comfortable.
Speaker 1: Well, Sergeant Daniels, you brought up quality of life. And I've said this for the last few years. It's the broken window theory. Take care of the small stuff that so it doesn't metastasize the large stuff.
Speaker 2: It used to be.
Speaker 1: We had a really tough, I think cruel sentencing judge named Jack Rosen who would put people in jail in the first defense for not having a driver's license for six months. Now, cops in Cincinnati aren't pulling people over because it's a pain in the neck. Let me have your license and proof of insurance. Well I don't have a license. Well where's your license. I'm not sure you have proof of insurance. No, let me run. What's your name? I don't want to give you my name. What's your data birth? I might give you my data birth. And so suddenly then you tell somebody I'm gonna pull you out of the car and I'm gonna find out who you are.
Speaker 2: Well, none of that happens today.
Speaker 1: And so it was a sense that we pull large peoples over, people over for minor traffic violations. It leads to this, then it leads to that, and then it leads to this. So we have large numbers of curfew violators, which they used to have rec centers to take the kids to rec centers, have their parents come pick them up.
Speaker 2: But they don't do that anymore. I see open air drug.
Speaker 1: Sales at Washington Park and open air marijuana use. I go up to two cops and duty's sitting there. I'm watching this family draw. All of them are smoking pot. He said, well, we don't enforce that anymore. I said, well, you know, it is a state criminal statute. He said, but we're told not to enforce that anymore. Drunkenness, homelessness, bricks through windows. The little things lead to bigger things. And then when they do arrest somebody. Ken Kober tells me that to get a bond set, it's always no bond.
Speaker 3: Hell.
Speaker 1: A magistrate Anita Birding, about two weeks ago set a low bond on some eighteen year old that shot a fourteen year old in the back of the head and robbed them. And that kid's out on the street with his gun. The Ryan Hinton model just turn eighteen years old. Life of Rhyme and the social media postings have him with looks like the Fredo Bandino with numerous guns hanging from him as if it's a compliment. So you take care of the small stuff, that doesn't become the big stuff. Now we don't do the small stuff, it becomes the big stuff when the big stuff happens. Shoot somebody in the back of the head. I don't bond anyway.
Speaker 3: That's the problem, not even taking care of the big stuff. And I willly you know you you bring me back to the good old days. I remember Judge Rosen, I'm sure you remember Judge hammerm hard. Harry mcawain absolutely, absolutely, yes, Uh, A couple others you know that that were just fabulous that. You know, when we walked back from the room, we we knew the bad we knew the bad guy was was going to regret their actions to some degree. And that that's that's why I said, it's so, it's so many societal issues. I don't know where to begin. You know, if you ask me what what would I do? I would do everything I could get our numbers back up. I would do everything I could publicly front out the the the judges and the sheriff and the prosecutor, everything I could to get them to get as busy as they could. And then I would probably explore putting more and more folks out there. And this is this is after the murder of the of the gym owner. I was thinking, why why not have more people out there in our our criminal apprehension units to where we're out there looking for all these wanted folks, because we know we got hundreds, we got thousands of people want And that's what they were talking about. The bad guy in that case, Mordecai Black, he was he was wanted, but he wasn't necessarily, I know the cofferme on the computer ones, but even going to the radar of the of the of our Major Apprehensions unit, they are too busy looking for people who shot people kill people. If we would expand those units and go out there and just start going after all of our violent wanted felon's and get them off the streets, because they're the ones that are repeat offending it over and over and over again. But it doesn't work unless the next steps of the justice system are also intact. And there's not a whole lot you can do about that if you're the police chief. But if I was the police chief, I would do everything I could do at my end, Like I said, I'd get those numbers back up by pressure city Hall to make those numbers greater, because when you have a lack of the back end of the justice system, you more or less need an occupying army. And that's what they're showing you. And yeah, it's probably business is probably three CDC that's forcing the officers to be there. But there should be officers like that and all sorts of problem areas around the city, and we should be locking folks up. And back to the pressure campaign doing everything you can from you know her end, from the police chief's end. There's more that could be done. You got to get the mayor. You got to get the mayor fired up. He's got to start confronting the county officials. He's got to startling against democratic buddies. And and that's not gonna have a witness.
Speaker 2: That's not gonna happen.
Speaker 3: Now, I know by'm wishful thinking. Give me a little witchful thinking.
Speaker 2: Here, Sergeant Hills. I'll say this.
Speaker 1: If somebody wants to break into a business or into a car, which happens two thousand times every year, don't do it between four to twelve at four pm to midnight on Maine and Vine Street.
Speaker 2: Wait till one am in the morning, and you're good to go.
Speaker 1: Instead of saying, you know what, it's smoking mirrors, it's not reality.
Speaker 3: It is. Indeed, it's smoking mirrors. But I think you can be a little bit more comfortable if you're if you're going downtown, they have yourself a cocktail, and that's that's step sependlorus.
Speaker 1: I gotta go to Peppin Dolores and get some shrimp flombay and pasta. Bolina's and I feel good about it. Just get out by midnight because that's when the streets are turned over. All right, Sergeant Dan Hills, I was going to talk to you about Covington police who've become a big issue beating the crap out of protesters. In Cincinnati, they give them little paper tick. In Covington, they kick your ass. And that's the way things are. The poor cops going to be in the crosshairs that Davey Muir of ABC News until he's fired. We'll talk about that some other day. But Sergeant Dan Hills, Frontline Advisors, thirty five years in the business, a proud resident of Warren County. Thanks for coming on the Bill Cunningham Show. And sergeant you're a great American. Thank you very much.
Speaker 3: God bless you you William, God bless America.
Speaker 2: Thank you very much.
Speaker 1: It's been several days, but the National News has figured out there's a different approach to lawbreakers in Covington as opposed as Cincinnati and Cincinnati they hand you a daisy and a piece of paper. In Covington, they kick your ass. Let's continue with more Bill Cunningham News. Next, that's your home of the Reds. Maybe a win tonight in Washington on news radio seven hundred WLW