Speaker 1: You're listening to Later with Moe Kelly on demand from KFI AM six forty KFI.
Speaker 2: Mo Kelly, Notica, Veela Cruise were live everywhere on the iHeartRadio app Nica First, It's great to see you. Marry Christmas, Happy Holidays, Happy Hanukkah. Exactly exact the minde. You might have heard our previous conversation talking about family traditions and how younger generations specifically is booping away from food traditions and other celebratory traditions.
Speaker 3: Where do you come out on that?
Speaker 4: You know what?
Speaker 5: I have to agree with you. I'm kind of tired of the big meals and the dressing up. I just really want to be chill and I'm going to see my mom for the holidays.
Speaker 4: And I told my mom nothing fancy. She's like, should I do a turkey? Mom?
Speaker 5: I said, you know what, you could do rice with chicken and a platano And I am super happy. Nothing fancy, And I said, and also I said, can we make it to where we show up in sweats?
Speaker 3: Yes?
Speaker 5: And she was like, what, because my mom is the you got to dress up to the tea and put on your makeup and your mask.
Speaker 4: No, you don't, you don't. You don't have to put on lashes. But no, and she was like, okay, I like that. I like that.
Speaker 5: I said, Mom, don't put stress on yourself. Do not put stress on yourself.
Speaker 3: Are there any foods that deep down they got to be there?
Speaker 5: I love aroskuls. It's a Puerto Rican staple rice themales. But we make theamales out of o which are platain leaves in Mexican culture. That make them the mais, which are the quarantines.
Speaker 4: Yes, we make them.
Speaker 5: So you know, the where the bananas grow, the plantains grow, We take those leaves, we wash them real good, we soak them in.
Speaker 4: Make sure you know, everything is clean.
Speaker 5: And then that's where we put the you know, the the stuffing of the tamales and so la masa.
Speaker 4: You yeah, and so.
Speaker 3: I just look to dish like around our head.
Speaker 5: And that is the process, like not only in arcoll And it's an all day thing because you have to cook the potatoes, you have to see them, the meat, you have to cook the meat.
Speaker 4: You have to cook the.
Speaker 5: Vegetables, and then you do the masa and then you do it all together and then you stuff them and then My job was sometimes either I stuffed or I tied them. But I didn't do a good job at tying them. And if you don't tie them right when you put them in the water to cook.
Speaker 4: Yeah, so they took me off that job. I got fired.
Speaker 3: The elders.
Speaker 4: No, no, no.
Speaker 5: But you know what's so funny is that I did this a lot, especially growing up in New York, because my grandma was My grandmother was the one that kind of had the whole table and she was the one that directed everybody, and she told us what our jobs were, and if we put too much meat in one, she'd be like, uh no, no, no no, and she'd shave.
Speaker 4: It off because you have to extend these.
Speaker 5: Themalas, and these are thumbalais that we would start from Thanksgiving all the way to the which is Day of the Kings.
Speaker 3: I learned something today.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I love it because you can freeze them. You can free them and you.
Speaker 3: Oh, I know, because I'll be eating them for a while.
Speaker 2: Those don't counters leftovers because they weren't originally put out.
Speaker 4: The malis are one of those things that you could freeze and eat all year.
Speaker 5: But it just it takes a lot of people, a lot of a lot of elbow grease, a lot of legwork, and and a lot of patients.
Speaker 2: But when they're good, yes, yes, producer makes them fire.
Speaker 3: Fire to my Quianna. Got to bring some more. Damn it. Your Tomali's are fire.
Speaker 4: I just saw on Instagram before I came in here. She's making.
Speaker 3: Can make that.
Speaker 4: I don't know that, I know.
Speaker 5: I don't, I do not, but I love I love all staple foods, and I am half Puerto Rican, half Colombian, so on my Colombian side, we do arepas.
Speaker 1: We do.
Speaker 5: Which are their corn like a It's kind of like aia, but it's a little thicker. We do sulao. Sulao is like a it's kind of like a wet, stewy chicken, and we eat that with rice. So we have a lot of great food around. I'm sorry I stepped on too much of your time.
Speaker 4: It's okay.
Speaker 3: Where did you venture to this week? Oh?
Speaker 5: I went to the enchanted Forests of Light at Disconsol Gardens. I've never been to Thissconsol Gardens during the day, so I'm gonna have to rego because I went at night and they have the magical they have the light show, and it's actually really really nice. It's about a mile walk and visitors can stroll along a one mile path filled with creative lights display including vibrant tulip fields, sparkling forests, and an interactive art piece.
Speaker 4: It really is extraordinarily beautiful.
Speaker 5: Now the event is designed to captivate people of all ages, making it a perfect outing for families during the holiday season, since we were talking about the holidays and it's nice to get together with your families and to enjoy the activities. There's many light displays. Also, visitors are as to if they would like to engage in some of the fun that they have there. There are spots along the trail that you could purchase festive snacks and hot drinks, and you know, you could just walk around and enjoy the lights, enjoy the art. Make sure you wear some comfortable shoes. Like I said earlier, it is a one mile pathwalk so and it is wheelchair accessible and the event is also hailed rain or shine, and check the weather before you go, because I know, I do know that there is rain coming next week or so.
Speaker 4: We'll have to ask morek about that.
Speaker 6: But he's never right, right, but to make most of your visit, dress warmly since the event takes place outdoors, and visitors will also find Disconsole Gardens gift shops the end.
Speaker 5: The gift shops have some nice little Christmas gifts that you might want to purchase, or maybe a stocking stuffer, so definitely check that out.
Speaker 7: Now.
Speaker 5: I do want to say that tickets must be purchased in advance, online or by phone. They are not sold on site, so definitely check it out. It is a little on the priceier side. I'm sorry, you know I love free sky Free ninety nine. I try to get you free events. But it is beautiful and it is worth it. For the adults it's thirty five to forty five dollars and for children two to twelve it's twenty five to thirty.
Speaker 4: Also, it is going to be here.
Speaker 5: The Enchanted Forest of Lights runs until January fifth, twenty twenty five. I can't believe we're saying twenty twenty five already, and it's from five thirty pm to ten pm.
Speaker 4: So once again, go check it out. It's beautiful.
Speaker 5: Take the family. Disconsol Gardens located at one four one eighth Disconsole Drive in La Kanyata. And on another note about lights, Daisy emailed me and she was like, Nautica, you've been to a few light places like for the holidays. I was wondering if you had a holiday day list. So I do have a holiday list for here in Los Angeles. There's the Enchanted Forest of Lights and Disconsol Gardens. As I said, there's Candy Cane Lane and Woodland Hills.
Speaker 3: Definitely.
Speaker 5: There's the Holiday Road at the King Gillette Ranch, which I went to a few weeks ago, the La Zoo lights as well, the Venice Canals Holiday lights, the Marina del Rey Boat Parade, Sleepy Hollow Christmas Lights that's in the city of Torrance, and Christmas Tree Lane in Alta Dina. Those are some here and they're roughly here between. I think I checked online anywhere between the New Year's Eve and the first So those are some great places to take the family. And if you want that list, you could log onto www dot timeout dot com. So you know, you could either go in your pajamas or you could go in your swet's go check out some lights.
Speaker 2: The way people wear pajamas now these days, they probably would. Anyhow, I was at getting some food and I just looked and it's like everyone.
Speaker 3: Was wearing pajamas. It's like, what the hell is going on?
Speaker 4: I don't know. I think after COVID, I think we lost fashion.
Speaker 3: Maybe I have an important question.
Speaker 7: Yes, if you wear pajamas to the store or out to someplace in public, do you wear those same pajamas back to bed without washing them first?
Speaker 3: Oh?
Speaker 2: I don't wear pajamas, so I'm not the person to answer that question me neither.
Speaker 4: I don't.
Speaker 3: Robin, do you wear pajamas?
Speaker 4: I do wear pajamas, but.
Speaker 3: I wouldn't wear them to bed if I wore them out in public. Okay, so they're public pajamas and under private pajamas. Throw them in an autoclave.
Speaker 2: Got it? Got it? It's Laid with Mokelly Friday Nights with Natica. We'll have more in just a moment with the hitting GYMKFI A six forty Live everywhere in the Heart Radio app.
Speaker 1: You're listening to Later with Moe Kelly on demand from KFI AM six forty k I.
Speaker 5: AM six forty Live everywhere on the iHeartRadio App. It's Friday Nights with Natica. It was only with Mo Kelly. Today's Hidden jem is David Afra. David Afra grew up in the vibrant streets of East Los Angeles, where life wasn't always easy, but the sense of community was strong.
Speaker 4: His parents, immigrants who.
Speaker 5: Worked tirelessly to provide for their family, always encourage him to focus on education. From a young age, David had a knack for numbers and enjoyed helping his dad balance the family's budget. That spark grew into a passion, and David set his sights on becoming an accountant. After graduating from high school, David enrolled into the local college to pursue his dream. While balancing part time jobs to pay for his classes, He gained valuable experiences by offering free tax prep help to neighbors during tax season. His commitment to giving back was inspired by the people around him who believed in lifting each other up. By the time David completed his accounting degree, he was eager not only to launch his career, but also to find a way to continue helping others in his community. That's when he discovered heartsofla dot org. Drawn to their mission of providing free programs and resources to understand youth and families. David saw an opportunity to use his skills in a meaningful way. He started volunteering as a financial literacy mentor, teaching workshops on budgeting and saving. His efforts gave families the tools they needed to manage their money more effectively, empowering them to build a better future. Hearts of La, also known as OLA Hola, has been a cornerstone of support for East LA residents for decades. The organization offers a wide range of programs, including academic tutoring, arts education, sports leagues, and careers readiness workshops. OLA's mission is simply is simple, but impactful, to create a safe and supportive space where kids and families can grow, thrive, and dream big. Through OLA Hola, David has seen firsthand how lives are changed. Kids who once struggled with schoolwork now find confidence through after school programs. Families facing financial hardships learn how to control take control of their finances through classes and Being a part of OLA is more than volunteering. It's a chance to give back to the neighborhood that shaped him and ensure the next generation has even more opportunities to succeed. And I think that discussing finances. Budgeting is always and saving is always important and a big part of family. So David, I just want to say thank you. Keep doing what you're doing, and if you'd like to get involved, you'd like to donate, you could also log onto.
Speaker 4: Heart ofla dot org. That's Heartofla dot org.
Speaker 3: You got to tell me how did this one come across your desk?
Speaker 5: Actually, this one was sent to me by an email by LinkedIn and we were discussing like financial stuff. I'm also in the you know, other than broadcasting, I'm also in the finance world, and I've worked for two business management firms and so yes, I know about numbers. It's not what I love, but it's not my passion, right, But we were discussing numbers and he was telling me about, you know, how he got involved in this organization and he also listens to KFI and so he said, you know, have you talked about them before?
Speaker 4: And I said, I don't think, so let me look them up.
Speaker 5: And so I looked them up and so we had a nice little conversation and I was really intrigued because I think at a small age he was introduced to numbers, which kind of reminded me of my dad didn't.
Speaker 4: Let me go outside to play enough.
Speaker 5: I had to do multiplications in addition and subtractions before I wanted to gout to play.
Speaker 4: He would give me about it. He would give me two.
Speaker 5: I mean, but as a kid, you know, it's like, oh, boring, sure, but but it would always you know, it kind of got me into like what numbers was really about. And also he would give me play money and we would discuss transactions and he would and so when I was talking to David, he goes, oh, my dad would do the Monopoly money thing to me, and I'd go, oh, really, he goes yeah. And sometimes we would play Monopoly and we would buy you know, how you buy hotels and all that other stuff, and it was it was really a game of thinking.
Speaker 4: And numbers at the same time.
Speaker 5: And I think that we need to introduce that to the youth, because yes, I know in high school I took economics, but I don't think that's enough for the youth of today. And I see so many people that are struggling in debt, and they're just racking up their credit cards and getting all these loans and they don't know how to manage their finances.
Speaker 2: I have been long, long, been a proponent of mandatory financial literacy classes as a requirement for high school graduation.
Speaker 5: Oh yes, Oh definitely. And I want to add something because this kind of talking to David. You know, I sometimes when I talk to people, I just I do a little bit of research and then it gets your mind going.
Speaker 4: And during that week I went, I went. I saw on Netflix.
Speaker 5: I don't know if you've seen, but it's this documentary called By Now have.
Speaker 4: You seen it?
Speaker 3: I'm aware of it, but I haven't seen it.
Speaker 4: Okay, Well, this has to do with financial financial freedom.
Speaker 5: It talks about your finances and how much you're spending and how we're just clicking to buy and consumerism and also I think another.
Speaker 4: Thing you should definitely see this.
Speaker 5: I don't want to give too much away, but it is a musty documentary for everyone. Of it talks about finances and how you just click and it gets to your door, and over consumerism and how we are messing up the the What should I say? I would say, how we're messing up the earth with all all the technology that we're throwing throwing away, but we're not really recycling that's the part that really just well made me irate. We are not really recycling even though we think that we're recycling. And also something that you should also look into, I think is minimalism or minimalism ish, as they say on TikTok, how to live that kind of life, because when you start cluttering your life with too much, you're just buying, buying, buying, buying, and spending your money.
Speaker 4: You are overstressing yourself.
Speaker 3: Oh, it can be very stressful.
Speaker 2: And we live in a world where it's always talked to us to have more and not be more, not do more.
Speaker 4: I want more in my bank account. I don't want more in my house.
Speaker 3: I actually want less.
Speaker 2: I want to have enough of my bank account where I don't have to stress, where I don't feel the need to worry about this, that or the other. I don't need to have billions of dollars. I really don't. That's never been my aspiration.
Speaker 5: No mine, you know. I don't like to buy anything that's trendy. I see things that are on TikTok and on Instagram, and I go, oh, that's kind of cool, But do I need it?
Speaker 4: You know?
Speaker 5: And I live in a really small place, the square footage is really small. So I always think when I'm purchasing, I go, do I really need it?
Speaker 4: Where am I gonna put it?
Speaker 3: Yes?
Speaker 4: Thank you? Thank you? Well we think you like Where am I gonna put it?
Speaker 1: You know?
Speaker 5: Now, if it's damaged or if it's ugly, I'll replace it if I really need it, But if I don't, I don't. And also another thing, and I want to talk about this in the new year, about upcycling and recycling. And you know, instead of maybe you don't want to drop it off to, I'll say one of those donation places. How about asking your friends about, Hey, do you need this? Facebook marketplace has a freebee section of a lot of people. I put stuff there for free too, like, you know, do you need this? Do you need that? Sometimes we are living in a time where there's a lot of layoffs, that things are very defensive, and you know, if someone could donate something and give it to you for free, it's like, Wow, that's that's a blessing in itself.
Speaker 3: Merry Christmas not occurred.
Speaker 5: At least Merry Christmas, Mo and to everyone.
Speaker 1: You're listening to Later with Moe Kelly on Demand from k F I a M.
Speaker 8: Six forty talks about pop culture, ron and Report with Mark Ronner.
Speaker 7: Okay, if I am six forty live everywhere on the iHeart app, it's the Runner Report and I'm Mark Ronner. Two things up front. I am still pissed about how awful Dexter New Blood was a couple of years ago, especially the ending. And I'm going to give you a spoiler here. It's two years old. Dexter's own annoying son killed him at the end. Number two Young Sheldon, Young Indiana Jones, Young James Bond, Young Sherlock Holmes, young John Seaholmes.
Speaker 3: I don't care about any of that.
Speaker 7: Just the other day, Tula and I were still joking about the badness of the Young Hans Solo movie and how he got his name more like Hack Solo. These greedy dips into the well with characters we love usually suck, but at least they also diminish the characters. It's kind of like getting into a BodyCount discussion with somebody you've been dating. You may think you want to know it, but you don't usually feel great by the end of it. But Dexter Original Sin is mostly an exception to that. Rule, I'm not going to leave you in suspense. I liked it, and I found myself smirking through the whole thing. Here's some of the trailer, and I hope there's no dirty words in it.
Speaker 9: It really is like they say, your life flashes before your eyes. Beginning there was blood. What a code I learned from my father, A code to make sure you are different from the people that you're killed. It was simple, kill the bad guys who escaped justice. Don't get caught myself.
Speaker 7: If anyone knows how powerful lurgies can be, it's me.
Speaker 3: Trust me, you stay, of course, you'll be fine.
Speaker 4: All dex plemiside looks good on You couldn't agree more about this stuff. Where's my desk up?
Speaker 5: Photograph the entire scene, spatter matters. It's starting to look like a serial killer art project up in here.
Speaker 9: So I got myself a job.
Speaker 4: Welcome to Miami Metro the first day of the rest of your life.
Speaker 7: That seems like a good place to stop it now. When I first read that, after Dexter had died again by getting shot by his own annoying son, that they were going back to the well with a young Dexter. Origin series My reaction was something along the lines of you pieces of crap? Do you have to ring every last drop out of absolutely everything? Have you no decency? Let's be honest here. That fourth season of Dexter with John Lithgow as Trinity was maybe the high point of the series, and they should have ended it before Dexter's sister decided she wanted to get it on with him, among assorted other things, jump the shark. And there's not a living being on this planet who actually liked how the series wrapped up. Let's just be straight here. If it's not on lists of all time disappointing series finales, all right, that mother, I'll write that list myself and Dexter will come right after Lost. They kind of pulled something off here, though. It's a college aged Dexter before he becomes the vigilante serial killer and police of blood spatter expert we know in love. His father Harry still alive in this and played by Christian Slater. Patrick Dempsey is the head of the precinct, and Sarah Michelle Geller is another one of the cops. It's kind of freaking me out seeing these actors playing the old piece, because never mind I still have plenty of hair and the skin of a fetus bathed in oil of ola.
Speaker 3: We're gonna move on. Michael C.
Speaker 7: Hall narrates the show, and the young version of him in the show is played by Patrick Gibson. He's an Irish actor I'd never seen before, and he absolutely nails the speech and mannerisms of Hall. It's great fun to watch all that, and all the actors doing impressions of the originals. Even the guy who plays young Masuka the office PERV. You heard it in the trailer. He's got the laugh down so well that it almost steals the show. The show's got a jaunty pace, which is what you look for and shows about serial killers. If you like the original series, this won't actually feel like someone's defiling it. There are moments involving Dexter's first kill and his dad drilling the code into him that seem like they kind of have a toe in Young hans solo territory, but nothing that'll make you shout, oh, come on at the TV, which I absolutely never do, and never with dirty words that my landlady hears. Ever, all right, publicists, listen up here, pull quote your greed and refusal to let any decent work of popular art have a dignified end makes me ill and angry. But the Dexter prequels pretty watchable, and I would like to exsanguinate you for that. Now here's a PostScript, a long PostScript. Not everything's about me, but this sort is. As a comic book writer, I wrote a number of Vamparella books. You know, her horror character been around since the sixties. Where's sort of a bar at type of revealing costume that would get the attention of adolescent, young comic reading boys. Different writers wrote Vampirella different ways. My Vamparella stories we called her Vampi. They were one shot pop culture parodies, and when Dexter was still in its original run, toward the end, I wrote, Vamparella meets Baxter. You got to change the name so you don't get sued, And boy did I have fun with that With Baxter. I mean, I think I called his Dark Passenger. He had references to the dark Passenger, which essentially is his urge to kill. I called is shadow writer, and I took it in a supernatural and fairly disgusting direction you'd never see in the show. While amping up the absurdity of Dexter having these long conversations with his dead dad Harry, I mean Larry, because we don't want to get sued.
Speaker 3: Now.
Speaker 7: This was before the Dexter Try TV series ended, and I'm here to tell you that I wrote an ending with Baxter disappearing to the Pacific Northwest before the actual finale of the show that outraged everybody so badly, in which he moved to the Pacific Northwest. I don't know what they were thinking with the show. It just seemed like they were kicking over the card table. I was living in Seattle at the time, and my thought was, well, the Northwest has more than its fair share of serial killers. It's probably because of all the miserable, rainy, cloudy, depressing weather and Dexter, I mean Baxter would fit right in there. I didn't win anything for this, and I also don't make a dime. If you read the book, it's in a collection called Vampirella Bites. It's also got satires on true blood, Buffy I mean Fluffy and stuff. You'll probably get it free online from the library. I got my insultingly low page rate when I turned in my script back in twenty thirteen. And I'm not telling you any of this because I stand again a single thing. I'm telling you because if you're a Dexter fan like I am, I love the show, you might find the story funny and cathartic. We all have favorite shows that go off the rails and we wish we could burn them to the ground with satire, or rewrite them, or comment on them somehow or otherwise just inhabit the characters. It was even fun to write his sister deb I mean Babs with her hilariously filthy mouth. That was what I was afraid of with the trailer that she was going to swear. I'll just leave you with this. There's going to be another sequel series called Dexter Resurrection, with Michael C. Hall reprising the role of Dexter. In other words, he didn't really die after getting shot by his annoying son. And to that, I say, you pieces of crap? Do you have to ring every last drop out of absolutely everything? Have you no decency? That's your runner report, Moe. Are you a Dexter fan?
Speaker 2: No, I'm not sure not, but you're making me become one the way you describe it. No, because no, I never had any real interest in it. But if I should begin, I will start with this series and watch it in a more sequential way.
Speaker 7: It's kind of an irresistible premise, which is a serial killer who's almost a superhero the way he has depicted. I mean, he's got a costume that he is standard for when he goes out to kill, and he's he only goes after bad guys. He's a killer who kills bad guys. It's in Michael C. Hall is terrific in it. The whole cast is tons of fun. And I'm not kidding you when I say watching all these young actors do their impressions, it could easily devolve into an SNL sketch, But it's just a ton of fun. They somehow managed to dodge the bullet of the young fill in the blank.
Speaker 2: It's usually hard for me to get into prequels because I like to see this story advanced, not go back to the beginning, because I know there's no stakes.
Speaker 3: If someone was in the original.
Speaker 2: Series or movie, well, I know in the prequel they can't die. Yeah, you know, there's certain there's limitations placed upon what the prequel can do and where it can go.
Speaker 7: Yeah, you know Dexter survived well. He survives everything. He even survived getting shot by his annoying son.
Speaker 3: He survives it all.
Speaker 7: But it's a lot of fun because it's got the exact same look and feel and sound and rhythm of the original show. You have it on your shelf right along with the others if you still collect that kind of thing, and it won't feel like crappy fan.
Speaker 3: Fiction like some of this stuff does.
Speaker 2: I think you might have convinced me, just might have convinced me you're gonna owe me for another one. I wouldn't say that it's Later with mo Kelly, can't if I am six forty OnLive Everywhere on the iHeartRadio app. And I have an addendum to the movie Red One, which was originally in theaters now it's available on Amazon Prime. I saw it and I want to update my review on it given that it's now on Amazon Prime.
Speaker 3: That's next.
Speaker 1: You're listening to Later with Moe Kelly on demand from KFI AM six forty.
Speaker 2: Earlier in the week, I made passing mention of the movie Red One, starring Dwayne the Rock Johnson and also Chris Evans, and I said something to the effect of it wasn't bad.
Speaker 3: I didn't dislike it.
Speaker 2: It was fine for an Amazon Prime. In fact, even though a lot of stuff on Amazon Prime, depending on your subscription, now has commercials, this presentation of Red one, and I let you know at the very beginning this, you know, this presentation of Red one is commercial free with exception of the commercial right at the beginning.
Speaker 3: And it's by Capital One.
Speaker 2: I mentioned that because that meant that Capital One paid a boatload of money for that spot.
Speaker 3: When I go back and.
Speaker 2: Look at the budget for Red One, it was two hundred and fifty men million dollars. That's more than Avengers Endgame. Okay, with all the stars in that, No movie which costs two hundred and fifty million dollars to make, and I'm assuming that's including marketing and promotion.
Speaker 3: I don't know.
Speaker 2: I'll just make that assumption. No movie costing two hundred and fifty million dollars starring Dwayne Johnson and Chris Evans could ever make its money back on its own in the theater. It's just and that's not a diss of Dwayne Johnson, that's not a diss of Chris Evans.
Speaker 3: It's just that.
Speaker 2: Historically They don't do gangbuster box office like that.
Speaker 3: Not even Dwayne Johnson.
Speaker 2: Now he's had movies which have done well, but they were larger ensemble pieces. Same with Chris Evans, but they were the two principal actors in this movie. In a buddy cop style movie, you'd see the Rock and maybe Kevin Hart. It was along those lines. And let me say again, it wasn't a bad movie. It seemed really mismarketed and it couldn't figure out whether it was going to be a movie for kids, because the storyline is pretty much about remembering your childhood and remembering the magic of Christmas, and it didn't make sense when you saw some of the imagery and some of the dialogue in the movie, which was much more adult. As a man, I appreciated the women walking around in bikinis and thongs. Don't get me wrong, I really did appreciate that, but it seemed incongruent with the overall message of the movie. And when I remember how it was marketed, it didn't you know, it didn't seem like it was for me.
Speaker 3: It seemed like it was more a kids movie. And it's caught somewhere in between.
Speaker 2: I talk about all that, only to say this, it's another example of why streaming is so great for the consumer, but it's horrible for the movie theater. Red One is at the top of prime video streaming and it's doing numbers record I don't know how that works out financially for Amazon or even read One, but it doesn't do anything for the movie theater. And in the movie theaters that the movie didn't make over two hundred and fifty million. I have to look it up, but it hasn't made money yet, and that says to me that movies are being made now knowing good and well, they're not going to spend any time in the theater. And maybe there's another fee that they can charge when they sell it to streaming. I don't know what the deal was, And that's what you're going to see, these big balloon budgets. They'll stay in the movie theaters for a few weeks and then they go to streaming. And me, the avid movie consumer, had no intentions of watching this movie in theater, but I was more than content watching it at home as part of my Amazon Prime subscription.
Speaker 3: I halfway enjoyed it.
Speaker 2: I did the dishes, I was cleaning up I was working out on the treadmill. Is one of those halfway I pay attention movies. And I was satisfied.
Speaker 10: You said it costs how much to make two fifty Ooh yikes? So far is worldwide? Total worldwide is one hundred and seventy six.
Speaker 2: Okay, Yeah, they're not making no money back because they have to make at least four hundred million.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 10: I made ninety three in the US eighty three and other territories.
Speaker 2: I just don't know who said yes to this as far as that this movie, with these two stars, unfortunately neither of them are bankable, could justify a two hundred and fifty million dollars budget. And I'm saying I'm just assuming that's including marketing and promotion.
Speaker 3: Now.
Speaker 10: See, the thing is, it's weird because the Rock is also one of the co stars of Mowana Ti, which is doing Gangbusters, and that film is primarily the Rock and the female Ali who you don't know who that is. It's just she's the voice of Mowana. So it's basically a rock movie. He is the star, he is the focus and all of that it's about him, you redeeming himself again. So he is bankable in that that film is almost a billion or so.
Speaker 2: I don't know if people want are going to see that movie because it's the Rock or they just want to see the story because yeah, I know he's a part of the movie. But I don't know if people were running to the theaters because it was him. All I'm saying is Red One is another example of the evolution of theater entertainment, how we consume it and how they're spending goog gobs of money, but they're not getting returned on that investment when they're doing these movies which have these theatrical releases and all the marketing promotion consistent with the theatrical release, and there's no way they're going to make their money back long. That's a long way of saying another nail in the coffin for movie theaters. You're not going to get these big budget movies. They're not going to stay in in theaters all that long. It's later with Mo Kelly. We're live everywhere on the iHeartRadio app.
Speaker 3: Look it's snowing, No, those are bills, oh.
Speaker 5: K F I K O S T H D two Los Angeles, Orange County
Speaker 3: Live Everywhere on the Engart Radio f