Speaker 1: Welcome to Bedtime Astronomy. Explore the wonders of the cosmos with our soothing Bedtime Astronomie podcast. Each episode offers a gentle journey through the stars, planets, and beyond, perfect for unwinding after a long day. Let's travel through the mysteries of the universe as you drift off into a peaceful slumber under the night sky.
Speaker 2: Sometime in the next ten years, the most expensive machine ever built by humanity is going to be deliberately pushed out of the sky.
Speaker 3: It really is wild to think about, right.
Speaker 2: I mean, I want you to just picture the sheer scale of this event. We are talking about a four hundred ton titanium and aluminum behemoth.
Speaker 3: Roughly the size of a football field.
Speaker 2: Exactly a football field, that has been flying two hundred and fifty miles above our heads for over two.
Speaker 3: Decades, traveling at you know, seventeen five hundred miles an hour.
Speaker 2: Yeah, which is just insane. And it's going to fire its thrusters one last time, altering its trajectory so it just it slams right into the Earth's atmosphere.
Speaker 3: And most of it will vaporize into plasma on the way down.
Speaker 2: It's going to be a meteor shower of our own making. And whatever actually survives that apocalyptic re entry is going to crash into a remote stretch of the Pacific Ocean. Right.
Speaker 3: Yeah, point Nemo, the spacecraft graveyard.
Speaker 2: Point Nemo. Right, And that is exactly how the International Space Station ends. But the thing we really need to focus on today, the real story here is what replaces.
Speaker 3: It, because it's not going to be what most people think.
Speaker 2: No, it's not what takes over That orbital real estate won't be built by NASA or the European Space Agency or ross Cosmos.
Speaker 3: It's going to be private industry.
Speaker 2: Today, our mission is to explore this profound transformation happening right above our heads. We are stepping into the dawn of the commercial orbital economy.
Speaker 3: It's a complete regime change, it really is.
Speaker 2: And look, if you aren't an aerospace engineer or like a billionaire, the idea of bus this is operating in space probably feels totally disconnected from your daily life.
Speaker 3: It sounds like pure science fiction, honestly, right.
Speaker 2: It sounds like a movie. Yeah, But I want you to imagine a reality where low Earth orbit operates like a high tech industrial park.
Speaker 3: With actual storefronts and manufacturing plants.
Speaker 2: Yeah, a place where entirely new classes of life saving medicines are made, where materials we can't make on Earth are manufactured, and where people just you know, go for vacation.
Speaker 3: And this matters to you because this is the foundational layer of a much larger off world economy.
Speaker 2: Exactly, the materials in tech that come down from those orbital factories are going to embed themselves in our global supply chains. It's going to fundamentally alter Earth's markets.
Speaker 3: But to really grasp how this commercial orbital economy is going to work, we have to look backward for a second.
Speaker 2: Let's do it. How did we get here?
Speaker 3: Well, we have to diagnose why it took so incredibly long to happen. I mean, why was space entirely closed off to private enterprise for the entire twentieth century.
Speaker 2: Why were there no space startups in the eighties?
Speaker 3: Exactly? And it basically comes down to a very unforgiving concept, which is the economics of gravity.
Speaker 2: Let's unpack the physics of that a bit, because the sheer amount of energy required to fight Earth's gravity, well is it's hard to wrap your head around.
Speaker 3: It's not just about going up right, that's the common misconception.
Speaker 2: Right, going up is the easy part. It's about going sideways.
Speaker 3: Yes, you have to go sideways so incredibly fast that as you fall back toward Earth, you just keep missing it.
Speaker 2: That's orbit in a nutshell, falling and missing the ground exactly.
Speaker 3: And to achieve low Earth orbit, your vehicle has to accelerate to roughly seventeen thousand, five hundred miles per hour.
Speaker 2: Which is mind boggling speed it is.
Speaker 3: And achieving that velocity means your vehicle has to be essentially ninety percent highly explosive propellant by mass.
Speaker 2: Basically a giant bomb that you're carefully directing out the bottom.
Speaker 3: That's a very accurate description. The engineering tolerances required to maintain that kind of controlled explosion are incredibly narrow.
Speaker 2: You can't have a bad day at the office when you're building a rocket engine.
Speaker 3: No, you really can't. And historically the only reason anyone bothered to develop that crazy capability was the Cold War.
Speaker 2: The military industrial complex.
Speaker 3: Right, the entire foundation of spaceflight wasn't born out of some altruistic scientific curiosity or desire to build a free market in space.
Speaker 2: It wasn't about exploring the stars for the good of humanity, not at its core.
Speaker 3: No, it was born out of a desperate existential military competition.
Speaker 2: Because developing a rocket capable of putting a satellite in orbit is mathematically identical to something much darker.
Speaker 3: Yes, it is mechanically and mathematically identical to developing an intercontinental ballistic missile capable of delivering a nuclear warhead across the globe.
Speaker 2: Wow. So when the goal is to prove to a rival superpower that you own the technological high ground, you really do not care about your profit margin.
Speaker 3: You don't care about cost efficiency at all. Just throw billions and billions of dollars at the problem until it works.
Speaker 2: The economics of a sustainable business just completely did not factor into the blueprints.
Speaker 3: Not even a little bit, and that created a paradigm where getting a single kilogram of payload into orbit costs tens of thousands of dollars.
Speaker 2: Which completely prices out normal businesses totally.
Speaker 3: At those prices, the only viable cargo is, you know, a multimillion dollar spice satellite or a massive government science experiment.
Speaker 2: You can't build a business when your shipping cost exceed the value of your actual product by a factor of a thousand.
Speaker 3: It's economically impossible.
Speaker 2: Okay, that makes total sense. And that absurdly expensive paradigm lasted for decades. But then the physical architecture of the rockets actually changed.
Speaker 3: Yes, and this is the catalyst for everything happening now.
Speaker 2: I want to use an analogy here because it highlights just how broken that old system was.
Speaker 3: JILLBD.
Speaker 2: For the first fifty years of spaceflight, going to orbit was like building a state of the art, multimillion dollar luxury cruise ship, loading it up with a few passengers and a tiny bit of cargo, taking one single voyage across the ocean, and then literally just deliberately sinking the entire ship at the end of the trip.
Speaker 3: It sounds insane when you say it like.
Speaker 2: That, right, if you wanted to go back across the ocean, you had to build a brand new, multimillion dollar ship from scratch.
Speaker 3: And obviously nobody would ever buy a ticket for a terrestrial transportation system that operated that way.
Speaker 2: The ticket price would have to cover the entire construction cost of the vehicle exactly.
Speaker 3: But that is literally what we did with rockets for half a century. We threw them in the ocean.
Speaker 2: It's so wasteful.
Speaker 3: But the catalyst that changed everything over the last decade was the development of reusable rocket.
Speaker 2: Systems, where companies finally figured out how to land the first stage of the rocket back on Earth.
Speaker 3: Yes, the biggest, most expensive part of the rocket, the part with the main engines. They land it, refurbish it, and fly it again.
Speaker 2: They took the disposable cruise ship and turned it into a ferry system.
Speaker 3: That's the perfect way look at it. You build the ferry once and you just run it back and forth, paying primarily for the fuel and the maintenance.
Speaker 2: And fuel is actually relatively cheap compared to the rocket itself, right.
Speaker 3: Very cheap. The economic impact of reusability just cannot be overstated here. It caused launch costs to absolutely freefall.
Speaker 2: We're seeing prices drop by orders of magnitude.
Speaker 3: Far beyond what legacy aerospace engineers believed was physically or economically possible.
Speaker 2: They thought it couldn't be done. But the private sector didn't stop at merely building cheaper delivery trucks, did they.
Speaker 3: No, they didn't. The true turning point where you are experiencing right now is that private aerospace companies are increasingly capable of engineering the entire orbital.
Speaker 2: Ecosystem, meaning they aren't just dropping off NASA's cargo anymore. They are literally building the destinations.
Speaker 3: Exactly, and this is a huge leap. For half a century, the ability to keep human beings alive in the lethal vacuum of space was considered the absolute pinnacle of national power.
Speaker 2: Because base actively wants to kill you.
Speaker 3: Every single second. Developing an environmental control and life support system, what we call on ECLSS, is incredibly hard.
Speaker 2: Right, because you have to scrub the carbon dioxide so people don't suffocate, yes.
Speaker 3: And recycle moisture from human breath and sweat into drinkable water, and regulate extreme thermal swings.
Speaker 2: Is essentially building a perfect miniature Earth pretty much.
Speaker 3: And that was the exclusive, highly classified domain of agencies like NASA and ross Cosmos.
Speaker 2: But now private corporations are mastering these technologies.
Speaker 3: They are they are building their own crew capsules, their own life support architecture, and their own docking sensors.
Speaker 2: Which is wild. Yeah, the technologies that used to define a global superpower are now basically off the shelf.
Speaker 3: Commercial products, well, highly specialized commercial products, but.
Speaker 2: Yes, okay, So if the ferries are running cheaply and private companies have figured out how to build the habitats, who is actually constructing the real estate to replace the ISS.
Speaker 3: We are watching a heavily capitalized, intense race to build the first generation of privately operated orbital stations, and.
Speaker 2: The architecture of these new stations is completely different from the ISS.
Speaker 3: Right, completely different. The ISS is at its core, an isolated, bespoke scientific laboratory.
Speaker 2: It looks like a giant science experiment.
Speaker 3: It basically is. But these new platforms are being designed from the ground up as mixed use orbital business parks.
Speaker 2: Mixed use like a zoning law.
Speaker 3: In space exactly. They are explicitly intended to support manufacturing, commercial research, media production, and tourism all at the same time.
Speaker 2: One of the strategies for actually getting these things built is fascinating to me, and honestly, it's a bit bizarre.
Speaker 3: You're talking about Axiom Space, aren't you, Yes.
Speaker 2: Because building a space station from scratch and hoping it works perfectly on day one in a vacuum is incredibly risky.
Speaker 3: It's an immense financial and technical risk.
Speaker 2: So Axiom Space is doing something I can only describe as a hermit crab maneuver.
Speaker 3: Out analogy is actually highly accurate.
Speaker 2: Break down how that works because it's brilliant.
Speaker 3: So Axiom strategy is to avoid launching a standalone, unproven station into the void all at once. Instead, they are leveraging the existing multi billion dollar infrastructure of the ISS.
Speaker 2: The negotiated agreements to launch their own privately built commercial modules and just physically dock them to the International Space Station.
Speaker 3: Right, they are literally just plugging into the wall.
Speaker 2: That is so smart. They're using the ISS as massive solar arrays for power.
Speaker 3: YEP and it's communication dishes to talk.
Speaker 2: To Earth, and the gyroscopes to keep everything stable. They're using the larger shell for protection and resources while they.
Speaker 3: Grow exactly like a hermit crab. They can fly up corporate research teams or private astronauts, park them in a Axiom module, but rely on the ISS for the heavy lifting.
Speaker 2: It mitigates so much early stage developmental risk.
Speaker 3: It really does. It provides a transitional bridge between the government dominated era and the commercial era.
Speaker 2: There is a secondary phase to this strategy rg.
Speaker 3: Yes, as they add more modules, so more habitats, research labs, their own power systems. The Axiom segment will eventually gain its own critical mass.
Speaker 2: It will become self sufficient.
Speaker 3: Right.
Speaker 2: Okay, wait, I see a massive ticking clock here, though, what's that? We started this conversation by saying the ISS is going to be crashed into the ocean in less than ten years. We did so. If Axiom is physically bolted to a dying space station, what happens when NASA finally decides to pull the plug. Does the hermit crab go down with the shell?
Speaker 3: No? And that is the elegance of the plan. Shortly before the ISS is decommissioned and begins its final destructive descent, the entire Axiom commercial segment will simply detach.
Speaker 2: Oh wow, it just unhooks itself.
Speaker 3: It will undock fire its own thrusters, separate from the legacy hardware, and become an independent, free flying commercial space station.
Speaker 2: That is wild. It literally just walks away from the explosion.
Speaker 3: Basically, yes, but Axiom.
Speaker 2: Isn't the only player in this game. The scale of some of the other proposals is just massive.
Speaker 3: Yeah, we have to look at concepts like blue Origins Orbital Reef for example.
Speaker 2: Orbital Reef such a cool name.
Speaker 3: It is, and there are architectures being developed by Voyager Space and legacy defense contractors like Northrop Grumman two.
Speaker 2: And Blue Origin specifically uses the terminology of a mixed use business park.
Speaker 3: Right they do. They envision a massive, scalable structure with modular leasing options.
Speaker 2: Imagine signing a commercial lease where your primary concern is micrometeoroid insurance.
Speaker 3: Right, it's a whole new world of real estate.
Speaker 2: But this shift from the ISS to something called an orbital reef is a huge philosophical pivot in what way. Well, the ISS was an instrument of diplomacy, right. It was designed to force rival nations, specifically the US and Russia after the Cold War, to work together.
Speaker 3: To inextricably link their hardware, so they had to cooperate to survive exactly.
Speaker 2: Its currency was international goodwill. But these new stations, their currency is literally just currency.
Speaker 3: You're absolutely right. It is a transition from geopolitical diplomacy to raw market capitalism.
Speaker 2: The survival of an orbital reef doesn't depend on international treaties, not at all.
Speaker 3: It depends on profitability, scalability, and market.
Speaker 2: Demand, which means if they don't secure tenants, the station goes bankrupt and just becomes orbital debris.
Speaker 3: It's high stakes, very high stakes, which.
Speaker 2: Demands we answer the multi billion dollar question here.
Speaker 3: Why why go to space?
Speaker 2: Yeah? Why would a company on Earth go through the immense, dangerous and incredibly expensive hassle of operating a factory in space? What is the actual market advantage?
Speaker 3: The advantage lies entirely in the bizarre physics of microgravity.
Speaker 2: Okay, I need you to break that down, because when people think of zero gravity, they just think of astronauts doing flips and catching floating droplets of water with their.
Speaker 3: Mouths, right, the fun stuff.
Speaker 2: How does floating around translate to industrial manufacturing.
Speaker 3: Well, when you remove the constant, crushing downward force of Earth's gravity, physical and biological processes behave in radically different ways. How different The implications for heavy industry, advanced materials, manufacturing, and medicine are honestly staggering.
Speaker 2: Let's get specific. Give me an example of something we can make in space that we can't make here.
Speaker 3: Okay, let's look at the microscopic level, specifically, advanced fiber.
Speaker 2: Optics, the stuff that runs the Internet.
Speaker 3: Yes, currently the backbone of the global Internet relies on silica glass fiber optic cables. Okay, they are highly efficient, but they suffer from signal degradation over long distances. You constantly need repeaters to boost the light signal.
Speaker 2: Because the glass isn't perfectly clear.
Speaker 3: Essentially, yes, but there is a theoretical material called z blan.
Speaker 2: Z blan what is that.
Speaker 3: It's a type of heavy metal fluoride glass and it could transmit data with incredibly low signal loss, far far out performing standard silica.
Speaker 2: So why aren't we laying z bland cables across the ocean right now?
Speaker 3: Because of gravity?
Speaker 2: Gravity ruins the glass.
Speaker 3: It does when you try to manufacture z bland on Earth. The heating and cooling process is subjected to gravity induced convection currents.
Speaker 2: Convection like how hot air rises and cold air sinks.
Speaker 3: Exactly that, But inside molten glass, as the material cools, the heavier elements subtle to the bottom and microscopic convection loops cause the glass to crystallize.
Speaker 2: And crystals are bad for fiber optics, very bad.
Speaker 3: Those microscopic crystals scatter the light passing through the cable, completely ruining its transmission properties.
Speaker 2: But if you manufacture z blan. In a microgravity environment, there is no up or down, so there's no convection.
Speaker 3: Precisely, or rather, the convective forces are practically eliminated. The glass cools into a perfectly amorphous solid. Without those microscopic crystals, you can pull a flawless optical fiber. The resulting cable can transmit data over vast distances with almost zero signal loss.
Speaker 2: That is incredible.
Speaker 3: And the same principle of eliminating gravity induced convection and sedimentation applies to manufacturing pristine semiconductor lattices for microchips.
Speaker 2: So for a massive tech giant, the astronomical cost of sending raw materials up to a commercial space station, paying for robotic manufacturing time, and flying the finished product back down to Earth, it's actually worth.
Speaker 3: It because the product physically cannot exist otherwise. It's that vastly superior.
Speaker 2: That is the economic calculus currently being modeled.
Speaker 3: Yes, and it extends far beyond material science. It reaches deeply into the pharmaceutical.
Speaker 2: Industry, medicine in space. This is where it gets really sci fi.
Speaker 3: It sounds like it, but it's very real. Let's examine protein crystallization.
Speaker 2: Okay, I'm with you.
Speaker 3: Designing highly targeted drugs medicines that interact perfectly with a specific disease receptor without causing side effects, requires scientists to understand the exact three dimensional molecular structure of a protein.
Speaker 2: You have to know the shape of the lock to build the perfect key.
Speaker 3: Great analogy. Yes, and to do that, they grow protein crystals and hit them with X rays to mac them.
Speaker 2: But I'm guessing gravity ruins these crystals, just like it ruins the z Bland glass.
Speaker 3: It absolutely does on Earth. The heavier molecules just sink to the bottom of the solution.
Speaker 2: They collapse on themselves.
Speaker 3: Yeah, the crystals grow unevenly. They are flawed, misshapen, and compress under their own microscopic weight.
Speaker 2: So the MAP protein is blurry exactly.
Speaker 3: But in microgravity, those disruptive forces just vanish.
Speaker 2: The proteins just float perfectly in the fluid.
Speaker 3: Yes, they grow into larger, highly uniform, perfectly structured lattices. Researchers get an absolutely flawless blueprint of the molecular structure.
Speaker 2: And once you have that perfect blueprint, you can design a chemical key that fits the lock flawlessly.
Speaker 3: You could be talking about entirely new classes of targeted cancer therapies or treatments for autoimmune diseases that are simply impossible to synthesize or map on Earth.
Speaker 2: That is, I mean, that's world changing.
Speaker 3: It is. Pharmaceutical giants are actively investing in this space right now.
Speaker 2: Because if orbital manufacturing yields a proprietary, highly effective medication, the return on investment easily justifies the orbital overhead.
Speaker 3: A thousand times over. These stations will quickly transition from exploratory outposts into essential industrial infrastructure.
Speaker 2: Okay, I see the massive financial upside for applied science and manufacturing. It makes total sense. But I have a real concern here.
Speaker 3: What's the concern?
Speaker 2: It's a belic it's left behind in this transition. Yeah, when space was purely the domain of national governments like NASA, the mandate was at least in part basic scientific exploration, right, pure science. We went up there to ask why not just how much money can this make? If market demand and profitability become the absolute dictators of who gets to go to space, what happens to fundamental science.
Speaker 3: It's a very valid question.
Speaker 2: If an astrophysicist wants to study cosmic rays but their experiment doesn't yield a patentable fiber optic cable or a lucrative cancer drug. Do they just get priced out of orbit?
Speaker 3: Your concern is highly validated by the current dynamics of the aerospace industry. It's a very real tension because.
Speaker 2: Real estate up there is going to be incredibly expensive.
Speaker 3: Yes, it is the classic tension between pure curiosity driven research and applied commercial research, but it's magnified by the extreme costs of spaceflight.
Speaker 2: In a purely market driven economy. An experiment studying fundamental fluid dynamics might be incredibly important for human knowledge, but it won't make a dime, and.
Speaker 3: If it cannot generate a return on investment, a commercial station operator has absolutely no financial incentive to host it over a highly lucrative pharmaceutical payload.
Speaker 2: So the pure science might actually suffer. We get better Internet cables, but we lose our understanding of the universe.
Speaker 3: It is a very real risk fundamental research will struggle to secure funding or physical space on these new platforms unless governments step into subsidize and lease laboratory space, specifically for academic researchers.
Speaker 2: That tension is going to be fascinating to watch play out.
Speaker 3: The commercial transition will undoubtedly accelerate innovation and profitable sectors, but it will fundamentally reshape the priorities of off world science.
Speaker 2: Okay, but let's look out the window of one of these future stations for a minute, because it isn't just robots making medicine up there.
Speaker 3: No, there will definitely be humans.
Speaker 2: Specifically paying tourists. We are moving from the era of highly vetted, physically perfect government astronauts you know, the folks with the right stuff, to wealthy civilians.
Speaker 3: Wealthy civilians, filmmakers, private researchers.
Speaker 2: And the architectural designs of the commercial stations reflect this demographic shift perfectly, don't they.
Speaker 3: Oh? Absolutely, The ISS is a utilitarian masterpiece, but it's not comfortable.
Speaker 2: It's essentially a submarine in space.
Speaker 3: Yes, filled with exposed wiring velcrow everywhere science reacts buzzing constantly.
Speaker 2: Not exactly five star resort.
Speaker 3: No, But commercial stations are actively designing dedicated hospitality environments.
Speaker 2: We're seeing proposals for massive panoramic observation modules.
Speaker 3: Right, Yes, constructed from advanced polymers, designed specifically to give tourists these expansive views of the Earth.
Speaker 2: Imagine waking up and just staring down at the entire continent of Africa.
Speaker 3: It would be life changing. And the life support systems are being engineered to provide a much more comfortable, less intensely rigid environment for non professional visitors.
Speaker 2: Which sounds incredible a luxury hotel orbiting the Earth, it does, but having a bunch of civilians in a massive glass dome flying at seventeen thousand miles per hour brings up a terrifying operational reality.
Speaker 3: The environment outside that dome.
Speaker 2: Exactly lower th orbit today is not an empty, pristine void. It is a highly congested highway.
Speaker 3: Congested is almost an understatement at this point.
Speaker 2: It's a mass up there.
Speaker 3: It is severely crowded, and the primary issue isn't even the active satellites, although the Mega constellations providing global Internet access have added thousands of new objects.
Speaker 2: Right The real hazard is the dead material space.
Speaker 3: Debris, spent upper state of rockets from the nineteen eighties, defunct satellites that have lost power.
Speaker 2: And the millions of fragments generated by previous orbital collisions. Yes, let's talk about the physics of a collision up there, because on Earth. If you have a fender bender at sixty miles per hour, your car is crumpled, but you probably survive.
Speaker 3: But in orbit, the math is entirely different because of the velocities involved.
Speaker 2: It's all about speed.
Speaker 3: Yes, we must consider the formula for kinetic energy one half the mass times the velocity.
Speaker 2: Squared velocity square. That's the kicker.
Speaker 3: Exactly. In low Earth orbit, an object is moving at roughly seven kilometers per second because velocity is squared in that equation, the destructive energy is just astronomical.
Speaker 2: So even something tiny, a.
Speaker 3: Tiny piece of debris, a stray steel bolt, or even a fleck of paint that chipped off a booster in nineteen ninety five carries the kinetic energy equivalent of a heavy anvil being dropped from a skyscraper.
Speaker 2: A fleck of paint acting like an explosive charge. Exactly that that is terrified.
Speaker 3: If a one centimeter aluminum sphere hits a commercial space station at orbital velocity, it will effortlessly punch through standard shielding.
Speaker 2: Potentially causing rapid explosive decompression of a habitat module where tourists are sleeping.
Speaker 3: Yes, and furthermore, a collision doesn't just destroy the station, It generates thousands of new pieces of debris trapanel right, which then spread out and threaten other infrastructure. It's a cascading catastrophic scenario known as the Kessler syndrome.
Speaker 2: So if a private company is going to invest billions of dollars into an orbital reef or an axiom module, they can't just cross their fingers and helpe A rogue bolt from a Soviet satellite doesn't annihilate their investment.
Speaker 3: No, they absolutely cannot.
Speaker 2: How is this traffic being managed well?
Speaker 3: Currently? It is managed through a patchwork of radar tracking by military organizations like the US Space Force.
Speaker 2: They track the debris and send out warnings right.
Speaker 3: They issue warnings of potential conjumptions. But as the commercial sector explodes, this de da centralized system is completely insufficient.
Speaker 2: It's like trying to run air traffic control for JFK Airport with a pair of binoculars exactly.
Speaker 3: The orbital economy urgently requires a profoundly sophisticated, predictive traffic management architecture.
Speaker 2: It needs to track millions of microscopic objects in real time.
Speaker 3: And automatically communicate with autonomous thrusters on commercial stations to execute evasive maneuvers. Human reaction time is too.
Speaker 2: Slow, but setting up a global automated traffic control system for space brings up a massive, massive issue.
Speaker 3: The legal framework.
Speaker 2: Yes, on Earth, air traffic control operates within specific national borders. In space, who is in charge?
Speaker 3: It's a fantastic question.
Speaker 2: Let's say a commercial station owned by a US corporation has to maneuver to avoid a dead European satellite, but in doing so it puts a Chinese communication array at risk. Whose laws apply?
Speaker 3: You have identified arguably the most intractable problem of the commercial space age, governance and.
Speaker 2: Jurisprudence, because there's no space police.
Speaker 3: No. The foundational legal document for human activity in space is the Outer Space Treaty of nineteen sixty seven.
Speaker 2: Nineteen sixty seven, right in the middle of the Cold War. Yes, and I'm guessing a treaty from nineteen sixty seven didn't include provisions for patent law regarding fiber optics manufactured in zero gravity by a private corporation.
Speaker 3: It definitely did not, shocking. The treaty's primary concern was preventing the Soviet Union and the United States from placing weapons of mass destruction.
Speaker 2: In orbit, keep the nukes out of space.
Speaker 3: Right, and establishing that no nation can claim sovereignty over a celestial body. It declares that space is the province of all mankind.
Speaker 2: That sounds beautiful and principle, but it leaves a massive loophole.
Speaker 3: It really does.
Speaker 2: Article two says no nation can claim territory. But what happens when a massive, incredibly wealthy private corporation essentially builds a monopoly on the infrastructure in low earth orbit?
Speaker 3: This is a profound legal gray area right now.
Speaker 2: It's the wild West.
Speaker 3: It is under the current framework, specifically something called the Registration Convention, a space object remains under the jurisdiction of the state that launched it, or the stay where the corporation is registered.
Speaker 2: Okay, So, if a tourist commits a crime aboard a US registered commercial module, US federal law generally applies.
Speaker 3: Generally yes, But what happens in a mixed use business park composed of modules built by companies from five different nations?
Speaker 2: Oh wow? If an astronaut from Japan floats from a European module into an American one and slips, who handles the OSHA violation.
Speaker 3: Exactly, how do you enforce labor laws for private astronauts. How do you regulate a corporate monopoly that physically controls the only viable docking ports in low Earth orbit.
Speaker 2: It feels incredibly similar to the era of the railroad barons in the nineteenth century.
Speaker 3: That is a very apt historical comparison.
Speaker 2: Private entities that lay the tracks, build the stations, and control the switching yards get to dictate the terms of the entire economy that relies on that infrastructructure.
Speaker 3: Yes, if you want to do business in space, you have to play by the rules of the corporation that owns the oxygen supply.
Speaker 2: That is a lot of leverage.
Speaker 3: The commercialization of space introduces an immense potential for technological innovation and wealth generation, but it simultaneously threatens to concentrate vast power over critical offworld infrastructure into the hands of a few technologically advanced corporations.
Speaker 2: We already see how deeply terrestrial communication monopolies impact global society today right now.
Speaker 3: Project that dynamic into an environment where a corporation controls your actual life support, it raises severe ethical and legal questions regarding inequality.
Speaker 2: Which means Operating these stations is a nightmare of lethal physics, microscopic debris, staggering costs, and completely unresolved international law.
Speaker 3: It's a daunting environment.
Speaker 2: Given all of that, it seems to me that relying on human beings to run these factories is just a terrible business model.
Speaker 3: From a purely economic standpoint, you are correct.
Speaker 2: Humans are the most extat defensive, fragile cargo you can possibly put in space.
Speaker 3: We need pressurized air, clean water, radiation, shielding, food, sleep, and constant.
Speaker 2: Medical bear We're incredibly high maintenance. If you want a manufacturing module to actually turn a profit, you can't have humans constantly sloating around, turning wrenches and fixing broken pipes.
Speaker 3: The aerospace industry has universally arrived at that exact conclusion.
Speaker 2: I figured as much to.
Speaker 3: Achieve scalability and profitability, the human element must be aggressively minimized.
Speaker 2: So future commercial orbital infrastructure will not look like the ISS.
Speaker 3: No on the ISS, astronauts spend hours every single days performing routine maintenance and cleaning.
Speaker 2: Air filters, glorified space janitor.
Speaker 3: Essentially, yes, But the backbone of the new orbital ecosystem is artificial intelligence.
Speaker 2: And advanced robotics break down how an AI actually manages a space station, because that sounds terrifyingly close to a sci fi movie where the computer decides to lock the pod bay doors.
Speaker 3: I know it evokes HL nine thousand, but in reality, it is a highly complex, deeply integrated sensor network. Okay, the environmental control and life support system is incredibly dynamic, and AI will constantly monitor thousands of data points regarding oxygen concentrations, trace contaminant levels, and thermal loads.
Speaker 2: It's constantly taking the pulse of the station.
Speaker 3: Yes, and if a manufacturing process suddenly generates a massive spike and heat, the AI instantaneously diverts coolant loops to prevent catastrophic failure without waiting.
Speaker 2: For a human operator on Earth to analyze the telemetry and send a commands.
Speaker 3: Exactly, which is crucial because of the communication delay.
Speaker 2: Right even in low worth orbit, bouncing a signal from the station to a satellite, down to a ground station and into mission control.
Speaker 3: It takes time, it does, and if a valve blows, you do not have time to ask for permission to fix it.
Speaker 2: The systems must be semi autonomous.
Speaker 3: They have to be and AI guided robotics will handle the external maintenance too.
Speaker 2: So no more astronauts going out on spacewalks to fix sol.
Speaker 3: Panels, far fewer. Yes, Instead of risking a human life in a cumbersome space suit for a dangerous extra vehicular activity to inspect a micrometeoroid strike.
Speaker 2: An autonomous drone will just detach, navigate the exterior of the hull, and execute precision robotic repairs.
Speaker 3: Precisely and inside the station. Manufacturing modules producing z bland fiber optics or pharmaceuticals will operate continuously twenty four hours a day.
Speaker 2: Entirely managed by automated systems. Yes, so you can have a giant floating factory module attached to an orbital reef where the lights are literally turned off.
Speaker 3: Because robots don't need light to see right, just.
Speaker 2: Churning out materials in the dark, with humans only visiting once a month to swap out raw materials and collect the finished products.
Speaker 3: That is the precise operational model being developed. It's so efficient, and AI will also manage the human element when they are present, providing critical real time medical diagnostics for private crews who are physically isolated from terrestrial metas facilities.
Speaker 2: Over time, these stations just transition into largely autonomous hubs.
Speaker 3: They do. But there is a bigger picture here that we need to touch on.
Speaker 2: Okay, what is it?
Speaker 3: These commercial stations in low Earth orbit aren't just an end goal in themselves. They are a means to an end.
Speaker 2: We aren't just building space factories.
Speaker 3: No, we're building the ultimate testing grounds for human expansion into the rest of the Solar System.
Speaker 2: Oh Man prototyping deep space exactly.
Speaker 3: The architecture being developed for commercial Low Earth orbit is fundamentally prototyping our future. When space agencies outline their plans to return humans to the Moon for sustained periods.
Speaker 2: And eventually establish permanent settlements on Mars.
Speaker 3: Right, the technological hurdles for that are historically unprecedented.
Speaker 2: Because Mars is millions of miles away. Yeah, you can't just call Axiom and ask them to send up a replacement oxygen scrubber on the next rocket.
Speaker 3: If yours breaks, you are completely on your own. The logistics of a Mars mission dictate that the life support systems must be prac infallible.
Speaker 2: And almost entirely closed loop.
Speaker 3: You have to recycle virtually one hundred percent of your water and.
Speaker 2: Oxygen, every drop of sweat.
Speaker 3: Yes, you have to perfect radiation shielding to protect the crew from galactic, cosmic rays and solar flares.
Speaker 2: And you have to engineer closed ecological systems capable of growing food sustainably in microgravity.
Speaker 3: Or partial gravity environments like the surface of the Moon or Mars.
Speaker 2: And we can't test those systems on Earth because we simply cannot replicate the gravity or the radiation.
Speaker 3: We have to test them in lower th orbit.
Speaker 2: First, lowerth orbit is the ultimate proving ground.
Speaker 3: It is it provides a harsh, authentic space environment, but with the vital safety net of being only a few hours away from a terrestrial abort. If a system fails catastrophically.
Speaker 2: If the scrubber breaks, you just jump in a capsule and come home exactly.
Speaker 3: The commercial space stations will serve as the laboratories where these critical deep space technologies are vetted.
Speaker 2: Furthermore, they are the environments where we will study the long term psychological and physiological adaptation of humans living in confined, artificial, machine dependent environments.
Speaker 3: So, when a pharmaceutical company pays to test a new closed loop water filtration system on a commercial station, because it's cheaper to maintain their tourist module.
Speaker 2: They are inadvertently funding the exact technology that will keep the first Martian colonists alive.
Speaker 3: That's the beauty of it. The stations are working models for future off world civilizations.
Speaker 2: That perspective aligns perfectly with a broader historical framing that I've been thinking about.
Speaker 3: Maritime analogy.
Speaker 2: Yes, the maritime analogy is just fascinating. Let's really dig into that.
Speaker 3: It's a great way to understand what we're going through.
Speaker 2: If you look back centuries ago, crossing the major oceans was an incredibly perilous, technically demanding, and exorbitantly expensive endeavor.
Speaker 3: It was not a commercial enterprise in its infancy at all.
Speaker 2: The early transoceanic voyages Columbus Magellan, they were undertaken exclusively by heavily funded state sponsored armadas and exploratory fleets representing major empires right.
Speaker 3: The ships were the equivalent of Apollo.
Speaker 2: Capsules, cutting edge, dangerous and built for exploration and geopolitical posturing, not sustained commerce.
Speaker 3: There were no shipping lanes back then, there were no commercial ports.
Speaker 2: It was just uncharted wilderness. But then the technology of shipbuilding improved navigation became more reliable.
Speaker 3: The extreme risks were slowly mitigated, and as.
Speaker 2: Those risks decreased, the economic model flipped entirely.
Speaker 3: Private enterprise realized the vast wealth to be generated by establishing reliable maritime trade routes.
Speaker 2: Companies like the East India Company stepped in. Governments stopped building all the ships and started building the regulatory frameworks.
Speaker 3: Instead, commercial ports were constructed, formalized shipping lanes were established.
Speaker 2: The ocean's transitioned from being a terrifying frontier of pure exploration into the foundational bedrock of the global supply chain.
Speaker 3: And that is exactly, and I mean exactly what we are witnessing in the night sky right now.
Speaker 2: The International Space Station, the Apollmichians, the Space Shuttle, they were the state sponsored armadus.
Speaker 3: They mapped the territory and proved it was theoretically possible to survive.
Speaker 2: But axiom space orbital reef the reusable rockets. They are the commercial ports and the merchant vessels.
Speaker 3: Low Earth orbit is simply the first layer of a new maritime economy. But instead of the Pacific Ocean, it's the vacuum of space.
Speaker 2: It is a profound, irreversible transition.
Speaker 3: It really is a threshold moment for our.
Speaker 2: Species because for the entirety of human history, from the emergence of our species in the Rift Valley to this precise moment right now, our civilization, our economy, and our daily existence have been entirely confined to the surface of a single planet.
Speaker 3: Space was relegated to mythology or observational astronomy and the occasional brief, temporary excursion.
Speaker 2: But the construction of permanent, commercially viable orbital infrastructure represents the physical structural expansion of human society beyond Earth.
Speaker 3: And we have to acknowledge that this process is not going to be smooth.
Speaker 2: No, it's going to be chaotic.
Speaker 3: Very chaotic. There will be massive engineering failures.
Speaker 2: Companies will go bankrupt.
Speaker 3: There may be tragic accidents involving debris or life support failures. We have to be prepared for that.
Speaker 2: These first generation commercial space stations are going to look incredibly primitive, fragile, and utilitarian to our great grandchildren.
Speaker 3: Oh, they definitely won't look like the massive, spinning gravity simulating cities we see in science fiction movies yet anyway. But transformational infrastructure always begins with fragile, modest prototypes.
Speaker 2: The first railroads were little more than a few miles of iron track, carrying steam engines that frequently exploded.
Speaker 3: The first airplanes were canvas and wood contraptions that could barely sustain flight for a minute.
Speaker 2: The early Internet was a text based network that struggled to send a single packet of data.
Speaker 3: They all appeared rudimentary to the people building them at the time, but they can take the architectural seeds that fundamentally reshaped human civilization.
Speaker 2: The commercial space stations currently being drafted are that exact threshold moment for our era.
Speaker 3: We are crossing the threshold from visiting space to inhabiting space.
Speaker 2: Orbit is no longer just a destination for a handful of highly trained specialists. It is becoming an environment.
Speaker 3: It's becoming a place where businesses are balancing ledgers.
Speaker 2: Where industrial manufacturing is quietly churning.
Speaker 3: Away in the dark, and where the physical modules that will eventually take us to Mars are being welded together.
Speaker 2: The central question facing the aerospace industry has really evolved, hasn't it.
Speaker 3: It has. It is no longer a purely engineering question of how we.
Speaker 2: Access orbit or even a financial question of whether these commercial outposts will turn a profit.
Speaker 3: The deeper, much more profound question is about human identity.
Speaker 2: What kind of civilization do we become when our economic engines are critical infrastructure and a segment of our population begin to permanently reside in the solar system is the big question, And I want to leave you with a thought that builds on that exact idea. Think about how much of human culture, our architecture, our art, our philosophies, the very structure of our societies and how we govern ourselves is fundamentally invisibly shaped by the geography and the gravity of Earth.
Speaker 3: Gravity dictates almost everything about how we live.
Speaker 2: We build things to withstand gravity, We draw borders based on rivers and mountains. But what entirely new forms of human culture, art, and philosophy are going to be borne from a generation of people whose daily mundane existence happens in weightlessness.
Speaker 3: It's going to be completely alien to us.
Speaker 2: When a permanent population of humanity looks out the panoramic window of a commercial space station, not as a once in a lifetime life altering treat, but every single day, over the morning coffee.
Speaker 3: And they see a unified globe, suspended in the void, completely devoid of national borders.
Speaker 2: How will that daily reality change the way we see ourselves as a species.
Speaker 3: That is the ultimate consequence of the commercialization of space. The shift in perspective will inevitably redefine our collective understanding of what it means to be human.
Speaker 2: It is going to change absolutely everything. So the next time you are standing outside at night and you see that tiny, fast moving point of light urpenting across the darkness of the sky, remember that you aren't just looking at a dying piece of government engineering. You were looking at the foundational bedrock of humanity's permanent off world economy. Thank you for joining us on this journey today. Keep looking up and we'll catch you next time.