Speaker 1: You.
Speaker 2: Chili Effect is sponsored by Wallstreet, Window dot Com and listeners liking Yeah.
Speaker 3: I know, most erated place on our media check of Kelly.
Speaker 4: All right, So it's the thirty first day of July twenty twenty six, allegedly according to that thing we call a calendar, and we are live if you're hearing me, about three minutes after eight pm Eastern in this place we used to call America. Yeah, that's true. On a Friday nights, Friar's Day, thirty first of July. Anyways, live and guess what that means. You can call in because it's the open mic night. I got my co host b Pete with me. We got a new cost on Thursdays, which we're trying out. I just put out the podcast a little while ago. I had no power earlier in the day, so I could not release the podcast early morning. What normal we do, no no power, no computer, also no internet. Anyways, it happens, and it did happen. But we're live and loud right now and hopefully everything is working according to plan. Anyways, Like I said, be Pete is with me, but you could be too. And you know what, I'm gonna have to take a quick break because I lost my phone lines. Be Pete, I lost the phone lines. I gotta get them back. I'm gonna take a quick break. You want to talk first? Or should we get to the break and get the phones on? Which one?
Speaker 5: No, Let's get the phones on, then we'll get back.
Speaker 4: You got it? Okay, guys, We're gonna take a quick break, and who knows, maybe we won't take another for the rest of the show. Just because I got to get the phone lines back up. I thought everything was working fine, and the phone lines dropped away from me. So let's get them started, and you guys will hear stuff in between, and we'll be back after this.
Speaker 5: M hm.
Speaker 2: Oh chili dot com.
Speaker 6: For mother never denied, may state the matter were horseback. We have one nation, need ANSI God and anything they would deem worthy of Brandy completely divided as those mad of Michael the liberty to speak free justice the only the only that can't afford the brand, but not oh Justice or to see other fans.
Speaker 7: Us Jack Brown, Wall Street, Window don dot com, Wall Street, Window don com do dot com.
Speaker 4: Michael Swanson, the brilliant author of the War State, gives you the benefit of his knowledge wallstreamow dot dot go there, now, go there, now there Now.
Speaker 1: The relation conversation, you are the effects broken.
Speaker 5: Revelation conversation.
Speaker 4: Stop live show fact.
Speaker 2: Relations a devastation.
Speaker 1: Relation conation effect.
Speaker 6: You are the effectations from self relation.
Speaker 5: Do you like history?
Speaker 2: Real history that you were never taught in schools? Why the Vietnam War, Nuclear Bombs and nation Building in South East Asia by author Mike Swanson, with new documentation never seen before that'll open your eyes to events that led up to this. Why the Vietnam War, Nuclear Bombs and Nation Building in Southeast Asia nineteen forty five through nineteen sixty one. Get your copy today at Amazon dot com. Why the Vietnam War by author.
Speaker 7: Mike swansone dot com Radio network World.
Speaker 8: Yeah out to look Out said, what t help this piece of steel go.
Speaker 2: Down out of the.
Speaker 4: So make stop, buddy.
Speaker 5: Road.
Speaker 6: I got a de dat down in.
Speaker 4: A lot of rar I get ready okay. After a brief unscheduled break okay, and a little bit of chaos behind the scenes. Uh, and we got the phone lines up three one nine, five, two seven, five zero one six. I don't know why they collapsed and went away before, but they did.
Speaker 5: Uh.
Speaker 4: That makes no sense, but they are live. They're active right now and wide open. I got like one hundred lines, so you will not be getting a busy signal. You'll be put on hold immediately and you'll be able to call in three one nine, five, two seven, five zero one six. Anything you wish can be the topic and we can go into it within reason. Of course, you're gonna yell at me and be a jackass. I might just cut you off because I don't have the patience today and I'm already getting knocked around emotionally and by strange things over here at home. So it is what it is. My voice is not strong either, but what the hell. We did an extra show last night to try and launch a new co host. I don't know if we're going to take calls every Thursday, but that's an hour long show. This one is normally about two hours until we do the age of transitions to ten PM. But as of right now, I'm not even certain that Aaron is showing up. I'm not sure, uh, but we'll find out soon enough. Anyways, it is h if you're hearing us live. By the way, it's about almost eleven minutes now after eight PM Eastern and my co host BPTE is with me, and like I said, you could be two three one nine five two seven five zero one six. Do you want to talk about the war in the Middle East or whatever the hell you want to call it over there? Do you want to talk about the justifiable homicide somewhere on the planet. Do you want to talk about de worming being used for cancer? Do you want to talk about the latest FDA circus. Do you want to talk about the stupidity of international politics? Or do you want to bring up murder or naked news? Let's go whatever you want to do. Three one nine five two seven five zero one six. Be beat. How has your week been?
Speaker 5: It's it's this week went by fast, but it was. It's a killer, man. I've been past three days. I've been tackling an oak tree next door that came down in a storm, an oak tree, and okay, just getting it cut up for firewood and getting everything else moved out to the road. Neighbors paying me to get it. But it's just such a pain in the butt. It's one of these limbs. It's probably fifteen inches where it connects to the tree where it broke part of it was rotted and in the winds it decided to come down. And when it came down, of course it's still connected up about about sixteen feet above the ground, so it naturally comes down. And I've been cutting my way back to the tree. But I'm at the point now where I can't jack up the weight of it. I'm using four of a for that are crossed with a chain uh at the cross to buck up underneath it, just to get the pressure off of it, because when you go to cut it, the weight of the limb wants it to go down and bind your blade. So yeah, that's and exhausting, it really has. And I've only got a fourteen inch barrow my chainsaw, so you gotta you gotta get in close and with this thing the way it is the tree. Tomorrow I get to go up and actually cut it where it's joined on it the tree and drop the whole thing on the ground. Then I just cut it up. Won't be won't be bad. But between the heat and thunderstorms and evenings thunderstorms overnight, we've had a lot of limbs down things like that, so there's been a lot of cleaning up all week long. But other than that, and the week's gone by quick. I mean, it was hard for me to believe yesterday I thought, good lord, it's Thursday already.
Speaker 4: So m but everything seems to be banishing this week quickly. You know, it's like poof, it's gone, poof, it's gone. Everything there's not gone.
Speaker 5: Yeah, sorry, there's not been anything going on on, you know, news wise, really just same old, same old, other than Fauci testifying the other morning and everybody he did exactly what everybody said he was gonna do, plead the fifth. So you know, that was a shit show for what three hours, waste of time, just nothing's gonna come of it.
Speaker 4: Yeah. See, now that was a weird thing because for a little while you were like evil if you pointed out how evil Fauci was, and now it's okay to point it out. And they were even making big headlines out of it for a minute that there was some big meltdown or you know, some kind of crazy thing happened during his testimony or whatever, and then you go check it out.
Speaker 5: Yeah, yeah, I'm one of the senators dropped an F bomb in the hearing. Ooh, he asked you. Yeah, basically he asked him, you know, who the fuck did you think you were doing all this to the nation?
Speaker 4: And you know, as if like five year olds don't talk that way at this point in America, I mean, seriously, this is not I don't get it. Like language has changed to a degree where you know, it used to be you had, you know, the seven words and all that from George Carlin. You couldn't use it on TV. You couldn't use it on the radio because if you did, you got fined, you got in trouble, you know, this kind of thing. But now they have regulations saying that once a week or so, or maybe once an episode during certain TV shows at certain times, you can drop an F bomb. Now, it used to be permissible that from like midnight to six am you could do anything you wanted, but people didn't do it all the time, and then when they did, there was protestation, if you will. But now with everything being on demand, you got you know, adult material airing at all times a day, depending on when you want to play it in your home. So it is what it is whenever it is.
Speaker 5: And well, and I'll find that surprising because for quite some time, you know, British TV swear words or I mean it's nothing after I don't know what their time limit is, but their shows at night, their variety shows and things like that, I mean people drop f bombs and caughing shit.
Speaker 4: And you know, well even in the eighties, even in the eighties, I got videotapes of stuff from Britain where you know what was it, Wendy o Williams took off her top on live TV and just showed everybody her breasts, and American viewing audience would have flipped out if that happened. I mean, you remember what happened with Janet Jackson with just like a flash of her nipple allegedly during the Super Bowl, right, the whole country lost its mind. But you know, people would get topless on there, they'd get naked sometimes run around Benny Hill. When they brought it over here, the women ran around in you know, lingerie or bikinis. But on British TV, they were naked when they ran around and did the ludicrous you know, Dan, no, no, no, you know what I mean, totally different animal over there at night.
Speaker 5: I've always been surprised how we're so you know, when it came to I mean, I understand, we had broadcast standards for a reason, but it's like we were pure, that is compared to the rest of you know, Europe, the rest of the world things that you can see, although some places go even worse than us. I'll give you an example. In South Korea, one of the artists that I follow put out their latest hit and part of it was filmed in a traffic tunnel and they had to for that video to be played on TV, they had to put a warning beforehand not to walk in traffic tunnels, and you couldn't play I'm serious, you could not play the video unless you ran that warning beforehand, you know, because when they filmed it, it was all closed road section and she's walking down this tunnel along the striped line and the lights. I mean, it was really it was shot very well, I mean the way that they did it, but they have to play this warning before you play that that video. It's crazy, Yeah, one extreme to the other.
Speaker 4: Yeah. Country by country and region by that stuff varies wildly where they give you warnings, like you know, they don't try this at home warning right, like they had to do with wrestling. After a little while, I mean in the seventies and whatever whatever aired aired, these guys were literally cutting themselves open with razor blades and bleeding all over the place and it was fine.
Speaker 5: Yeah, and it's got Well, look at the commercials here where they show the new Masta RX seven whipping through the mountains on a nice curvy road and in a small strip down or closed road.
Speaker 4: Close, try driver this, do not this is not normal vehicle behavior.
Speaker 5: Blah blah.
Speaker 4: But yeah home, but you don't even see that warning. What I'm saying is there are these blazoned warnings like don't try this at home, do not do this, you know, like when they had to like the show Jackass, right, and it was like, you know, they were doing all kinds of crazy things to each other, stapling each other to each other and whatever else, and you know, let's see what happens if we get kicked by a horse, you know, weird kind of well yeah, but and.
Speaker 5: There though, you also have the difference over here of stuff being on broad cast versus cable. You know, cable, you could get away with the nudity and the language and everything else broadcast over here because but only on pay.
Speaker 4: Cap only on pay cable, Like if you paid for the channels and then you could get away with the nudity and the cursing and whatever. But but then, you know, but if you had like USA Network or whatever, they had to cut it down to even I don't know, like more team than what like your regular open air broadcasts would do. And like I said, there'd be trigger warning. Now there's trigger warnings, and they warn you if they're smoking. Now in any television show where old you know, they run some old show and somebody smokes a cigarette. Uh, you know whatever I mean. If you remember the Twilight Zone, everybody had a damn cigarette, right because they were sponsored by Philip Morris, I think.
Speaker 5: I mean, well, yeah, what was it?
Speaker 4: The Mason, the Flintstones, the Flintstones, we were sponsored by Winston and Salem. Uh, you know the cartoons. But what's weird is now, like I said, it's like smoking su iation. If you or anybody you know it's feeling suicidal, you know, because they're going to show a character kill themselves or whatever or try to kill themselves.
Speaker 5: Well, it's so bad even on YouTube in Korea, another group that I followed, they put out they put out a song and it was like a small movie as the song played and it had a lot of information, a lot of things, and there was a building that blew up and there was somebody that got hit, and they had to put an age restriction on it. And that's why it didn't chart on the popular music stuff over there. It's because they put at eighteen or older restriction on the video, so it couldn't even be counted towards a lot of these charts that that they I mean, there's nine thousand charts over in Korea for music, but it didn't chart well because of all the age restricts is that they put on the video itself. Right, They've had videos that were they had to put age restrictions on simply because of the subject matter. Not a single slayer word, right, but if a sentence suggested something of an adult nature, they put an age restriction on it. Yeah, Britain, well you can show it at seven o'clock at night, there's no problem.
Speaker 4: Right, as long as it's like after dinner in England, you're okay, you know what I mean, Like you could do anything after dinner before that though, they're a little a little restrictive, you know. But but then again they do let a lot of words across that we would never let across even during.
Speaker 5: Their think about this too. The station's over there, a government owned yeah, which is even weirder.
Speaker 4: But yeah, anyway, but my whole point is that, you know, society is not reflective of all these restrictions. You know what I mean that that that people put out. It's like, oh, you're going to be confronted by this and that and if you're triggered, and like I said, there's a whole like script that goes along with if somebody does harm to themselves during a dramatic act whatever it may be, not not you know of this is real and this is all you know, a play of some type. It's not actual people actually hurting themselves. This is acting in special effects.
Speaker 1: No, not that.
Speaker 4: But if you're feeling is though you might want to harm yourself. Here's the eight under number and everything you know. Anyway, Jimmy James is on the line, and uh, anybody else is welcome to join us as well. Three one nine, five two seven five zero one six. I'm gonna get him on. But it's a worthy conversation. You and I might want to put a pin in this one and get back to it later, depending on what Jimmy wants to talk about. So let's get him on and uh three one nine five two seven five zero one six, that's the number to call and be a part of this. Jimmy. Uh, what's on your mind tonight? Or do you want to continue on with the uh, you know, restrictive nature of content on television and online and everything, or you want to go with something else. We're here where you bro? What's up?
Speaker 9: Well, it doesn't seem like they're all right.
Speaker 1: Oh my crap there?
Speaker 4: Well, yeah, I I barely heard you, but I didn't hear an echo. You were muffled.
Speaker 3: I heard everything I said. Come back to me.
Speaker 4: Is it still doing it?
Speaker 5: I don't hear him at all?
Speaker 4: Yeah, because we don't. We don't hear an echo. We hear we hear just you.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I don't even hear him.
Speaker 4: Oh you don't hear him?
Speaker 1: All right?
Speaker 4: I can him up. I can turn him up a little. Go ahead, Jimmy, be Pete.
Speaker 9: You hear this.
Speaker 4: You're not hearing him?
Speaker 8: Be Pete?
Speaker 4: No nothing, Holy crap, Why is he not hearing this? Okay, let me see hang on, Jimmy. I'm gonna try and fix in real time, because I got to be Pete hearing most stuff. But uh, apparently he's not hearing the phones the phones, and I don't know why. So I'm going to figure that out while I'm talking to you, so I can do here. Let's see. Let's see, you know, high definition one of your two real tech definition. Okay, let's try this one. Go ahead, Jimmy, speak again.
Speaker 3: Hey, b Pete, can you hear this?
Speaker 5: Yeah? I got you now?
Speaker 4: Oh okay, hold on, that's not the way that's supposed to go. Hold on a second, here we go. Let's try this and this. Okay, now to go ahead, Jimmy.
Speaker 3: One two three.
Speaker 4: You didn't hear that? Be Pete?
Speaker 5: Now often I had him there for a second.
Speaker 4: Then he's going, oh, man, hold on a second. Let's try.
Speaker 5: That loose wire.
Speaker 4: I don't know why it did it. Let's see if we go here, how about now, Jimmy, go ahead, all right about No, nope, I guess he's not picking you up. All right, Let's try the I don't want to switch the speaker around because let's see try again. Go ahead, one two three four? I got him now, okay, you got him? Now? Okay, there we go so you can hear you now, Jimmy, Sorry, go ahead.
Speaker 9: Peep, Pete, burn your chance. Who's your current shirts? Quickly? Do you use USA A.
Speaker 8: No?
Speaker 5: Geico was my last company. I went with.
Speaker 9: Do you use that little weasel the crazy Lizard?
Speaker 5: Cheapest right now?
Speaker 4: Yeah? I don't care what their logo is. Fell O'Neil, Shaquille O'Neal and the weird general guy could run it as long as there's a cheap one, right, I mean.
Speaker 1: Who can?
Speaker 5: I mean I was with State Farm for years and they just kept going up and up and up, and I got one speeding ticket and it got dropped at court, so there was no points on my license, but they still hit me for the ticket and jacked my premiums. I said, screw you guys. So I called a couple of places. Getico came in the cheapest, so I went with them. There you go.
Speaker 3: No, I didn't want with cars. Who wants to save money? Here's a little something that I learned the curd Uh.
Speaker 5: Yeah.
Speaker 10: I was wondering what in the world that's going on here? Dropping it to as you know, checking it out on line. My car coy as a how can no fault assurance.
Speaker 1: It's as cheap.
Speaker 10: As you can I could get.
Speaker 3: It would be a one hundred and fifteen dollars.
Speaker 1: That is very bizarre.
Speaker 9: And yet so I kept it a full coverage.
Speaker 3: Everything because it's like one hundred and fifty. Okay, so your fall. A week or two ago, I unloaded a couple of cars.
Speaker 11: So now my, oh by the way, those cars, each of them, the only thing I had on those was towing and roadside for a dollar eighty eight.
Speaker 3: So how much to buy your accounting should that beat?
Speaker 4: Well? Two cars? It should be what three seventy six? Right right?
Speaker 3: Okay? So that plus you would take the prices of the vehicle.
Speaker 9: That I actually drive.
Speaker 4: About right, yeah, whatever that is.
Speaker 3: Yet I scrapped these cars to get rid of them. They readjusted my bill and it went from one hundred and fifty to ninety five dollars.
Speaker 4: Wow, so you lost sixty dollars in that, which is crazy because you only at it at Yeah, okay, don't I don't understand that at all. That makes no sense mathematically.
Speaker 9: Well, what I am is mad. Why in the world were they charging in fifty five dollars a month for cars that were in storage? Not being used.
Speaker 3: Are they nuts?
Speaker 4: Yeah?
Speaker 5: Apparently, Yeah, But don't you still have to carry liability on your state if it's got a tag on it? Were they tagged? Did those cars that were in storage did they have tags on them?
Speaker 1: Well?
Speaker 9: One was still license the other one, well, yeah, I had a plate.
Speaker 3: But it was it renewed or anything. It's just sitting in my scure viuel.
Speaker 5: Well, it may be that if there's a plate on one, they have to charge you at least liability could be in. That's the way it is here. If you've got a plate on a car. Yeah. Here, if you have a plate on a car, you have to have livebuilding insurance on it. Even if the plate runs out. Until that plate is turned in and it's not associated with the VEN number on that car, they're gonna charge you. You have to have liability for a certain amount.
Speaker 9: Shouldn't they have told me that mentioned it in the last couple of years.
Speaker 5: Yeah, they should have. I'll give you a better one than that, Jimmy. Let's say I buy a car today, I call and put insurance on it, put a tag on it. Okay, I call up Geico. It's going to be eighty seven to fifty six a month.
Speaker 1: All right.
Speaker 5: In this state, there is a minimum for these people to write insurance. They have to have a guaranteed minimum of a certain number of months. And this is what happened to me with the last car I had. I had the car, kept insurance on it the whole time, and then stopped and it was all like three months into a six month renewal. Here they hit you six months twice a year. You're gonna you know, you're gonna have to renew your contract every six months. Okay, It's very seldom that they'll go a full year unless you've got your house and another car and a multi you know, you got multi vehicles and a house, and you're getting this discount and that. Anyway, I started the new contract, I went two and a half months. I sold the car, okay, turned in the plate, notified the insurance company that I turned into plate. I had been paid up to that point, because in this state, you pay your month ahead. It's not like they ensure you a month and then you pay them. You pay up front, then they cover you for that amount of time. So my premiums were all up to date. I had paid three months of premiums when four month came around, they sent me a bill, So I'm not paying this. I don't even own the car anymore. Oh, well, we have a guaranteed minimum. They turned in a one month premium to a damn collection agency until I fought it because they said, in North Carolina, we have a minimum of four out of six months that we're going to get paid for. And I said, well, then, why didn't you tell me that when you wrote the policy out of gone with somebody else? They said, well, doesn't matter who you go with. All the companies here in North Carolina do the same thing. So they basically are screwing you out of a month. If you own it for three months and sell it, they want that fourth month because they're guaranteed by the legislature that they can charge you for that extra month. It's the biggest rip off in the world.
Speaker 4: So that means if you have a car and you totally.
Speaker 9: Not one ticket, no one time. If I ever got elected from the clouds, give me thousand.
Speaker 3: Discustry.
Speaker 5: It's a racket. It's like everything else they're gonna get, they're gonna they're gonna guarantee, and that's like homeowner's insurance in this state because the amount of hurricanes that we've had, two companies decided as what two years ago, two major companies said, we are not insuring any property east of Interstate ninety five, and then a couple more came in and said, we're not guarant we're not writing insurance on any house east of Highway seventeen, which is closer to the coast. So little by little, people are having to scramble now to get their home, their homeowners insurance in place, especially if you have a mortgage. You know, if you got a mortgage on the house, you have to have the insurance on it. Well, now companies are saying we're not doing business in that part of the state anymore, and our state insurance commissioner won't say, look, if you want to do business in this state, you will cover homes all the way across this state because they're afraid to go to court. It's a rocket.
Speaker 4: Oh yeah, guaranteed. And Georgia's gotten even weirder. To be honest with you, I don't even understand by half of what Kim's telling me about the insurance. I mean, it's just it's absolutely insane. I don't get it. She doesn't have. You know, she's got a long driving record, and I mean she suffered like one one or two accidents I think in her total driving record, which is not bad, you know, when you've been driving like forty years. You know what I'm saying, what the hell? But I mean, they got her jacked up pretty high for a and and they're saying it's because of where we live. And it's like, yeah, but we're not ensuring the damn thing for theft or anything. You know, it's not like it's being insured for anything other than the basic liability, you know. Yeah, but yeah, they want I mean, you know, you guys are talking about very low compared to what it is. She's the element here, you know. And again, somebody in their fifties, you figure your insurance rate goes down. But because we didn't have a car for a couple of years, that's one problem. And then I don't even know what the rest of the problem is, to be honest with you, but I mean, we can't see insurance for less than two to fifty a month at this point.
Speaker 5: Well, you know, at one time, a lot of states would allow them to run a credit check on you for insurance and set your rate that way, and they used to do that years ago. Here I was probably in my twenties, and I went in and said, well, you know why is my insurance so high? Well, one, I was living in Greenville where the college was, so your rates are normally going to be higher there. Or if you have a military base nearby because of the amount of traffic, they raise your rates because there's a lot of claims. But then they told me, well, they ran a credit check. I said, well, I don't have any credit. Well, see, that's the problem. You don't have a credit history. You're only twenty years years old. I said, well, finally they made that illegal. They're not supposed to be able to run a credit check on you and affect your rates that way. But then as I got older and you go to some of these places and talk about prices, and it's like, well, with your age and where you're living, and the kind of car that you have, and the repair costs and the theft rate. See, and that's why mine was so high on the Kia because of the theft rate. It was the last year before they put in the electronic locks and everything. Everything we worked with a key and people could get in and you could easily hot wire one, so you could jump in with a screwdriver and crank a Kia for a long time. Okay, Well, so they raised the rates on them. Before I got rid of the car, I got a letter from them saying, now on Kia souls, we will not offer full protection. And I said, what do you mean, Well, we won't cover it for theft. And I said, well why, Well, because they have crappy locks and ignitions and they're easily stolen. I said, so I can get all the coverage I want, but you won't cover it for theft. Yeah, I said, okay, well I'll go somewhere else. So it's every little thing that they can find a reason not to ensure you or to jack your rate, they're gonna do it. It's like health insurance. They're gonna gig you one way or the other. They should be illegal and more and more attacks on the car owners of America.
Speaker 1: The VP.
Speaker 3: So I bought an alternator is a one eighty five. I got explored and that thing was throwing up charge of system there.
Speaker 9: So I went and we turned it and got another one.
Speaker 3: Student the same junk.
Speaker 5: Uh.
Speaker 9: Basically, I was told.
Speaker 3: It's because that stupid Jeff Garrett doesn't store their arts and road to trade. So I was checking out the prices at online. Cheapest one I could find was one hundred and eighty for REFURBI Stacey Delco painted.
Speaker 5: Really, I'm surprised you found one that cheap.
Speaker 9: Yeah, oh yeah, that's that's pretty reasonable really online. But then I called this dude told me about another.
Speaker 3: Place where they they get recent anytime cars get total lower cars.
Speaker 9: They go to this place. So I'm trying this place they got. I can learn from them that they're two hundred and am for thirty five bucks.
Speaker 3: I'll try that out.
Speaker 5: Why not, I'll tell you, well, just a core cost is usually fifty bucks. Yeah, that's what i'd do, is I'd go with that.
Speaker 9: The old junk one is a swap, right.
Speaker 4: Well, that's the other thing. Some places will take you know, your you're busted, whatever your your your battery or whatever it is that you're taking out. They'll take that and they'll do something with it, either recycle it or refurbish it for somebody else.
Speaker 1: You know.
Speaker 5: Yeah, if you go to buy a battery or an alternator or a starter or something like that without a Corp. You're gonna pay through the nose. It's like buying propaging tanks now for your grill. If you don't have a trade in, it's gonna cost you eighty five dollars. If you got to get empty tank to give them, it'll be fifty.
Speaker 4: Bucks, right, which, by the way, it wasn't too long ago. They were like twenty bucks when you swapped the dog oo.
Speaker 5: Times have changed, my friend.
Speaker 4: Yeah, they definitely have, because I mean I would say ten years ago I was still able to get them for like twenty five.
Speaker 5: Yeah, but well since COVID, since COVID changed everything everything. I mean I looked the other day at Speedway. I stopped in there to get some gas for the mowers, and their exchanges were seventy five without a tank. With a tank, it was like fifty two something.
Speaker 4: Yeah. See, that's crazy to me. You know, it's like the seventy five with the tank. I mean, that's been like that for a long time. Even when it was twenty five to swap a tank, it was still like fifty five to get a tank, you know, with nothing. But everything has gone up this like twenty forty thirty percent depending on what it is. Just in the past couple of years.
Speaker 5: It seems like, yeah, you know, well it's all been since COVID, and they all blame it on supply chain.
Speaker 1: Supply chain, no spot chain.
Speaker 4: Okay, supply chain means shortage and okay, fine, I get it. But the idea that these prices never ever come back. See, that's the thing. When you've got a temporary situation that jack's up prices, right, the only thing that ever gives back is like gas and stuff like that. But when you got like a hard product, they never give back once they start taking from you, you know what I mean.
Speaker 5: Oh no, no, they're not about to. When I lived, when I was in Hickory, about forty twenty five miles away, was a blue Rhino facility they pumped. Yeah, they transported pro pain to this place and this is where they processed all the small tanks and set them out, and the prices were outrageous, and I stopped in every one and I said, why in the hell is he so expensive for Probain? Now, Hey, our shipping costs have gone up, and we pass off every dollar back onto the customer. We're not going to lose money on this, and they won't ever go back down. Get used to it. I mean, the guy told me, once we go up on a price, we never go back.
Speaker 4: You know what was another weird thing is back in the day, if you didn't want to buy the Blue Rhino, say back in the like a round of the year two thousand, because you could still go to places and fill an old propaine tank, right, and filling an old propane tank was like cheap, you know what I'm saying. I mean I used to find a gigantic one for my home. I rented a place that had a propane tank for heating everything, for eating, cooking and the hot water heater two and the propane was dirt cheap. And to just fill it now, you know, and even if I brought a portable tank to a place to fill it, it was real super cheap. But if I wanted to do the Blue Rhino exchange, that was at a premium. Around the year two thousand, you know, propaine.
Speaker 5: Has gotten so bad. My brother's got a pretty good sized house. It's maybe say two bedrooms bigger than mine. And he's got two gas pack furtest units, one for half a house, one for the other half a house. Okay, and he has pro pain that they bring to you know, they deliver it and fill his tank and he has to go under a contract to set a price before winner ever hits or he wouldn't be able to afford it, right, the price has gotten so high.
Speaker 4: Right. But that's the thing is that I used to have to do that too, but I only had to fill my tank like once a year. Yeah, that's the way it was. And I chose to fill it obviously during the off season when it wasn't wintertime when all the you know, the the fuel costs would jack up. So you know, in the Northeast, that was the thing is, you know, the fuel costs would always jack up in the wintertime.
Speaker 5: Yeah, he sets his contract in May.
Speaker 4: Well, that that's a good time to do it. I think mine was set in like April, which was perfect because I was hardly using propane at all in April, you know, and so was everybody else that was used in propane.
Speaker 5: Yeah, you're just using it for cooking, yeah.
Speaker 4: And and even the water and being like you know, in my in my late twenties, to be honest with you, I was cooking a lot of things in the microwave. So I mean the stove was hardly ever turned on, you know what I'm saying. So, I mean I was using next to nothing, and that was when the cheapest rate usually would prevail in the Northeast because nobody was barbecuing, because it would you know, when it was hot out, you people are barbecuing. When it's cold out, people are heating places, right, so you get it in between. That's why April not not in the summer, but also not in the winter. It had to be the spring of the fall, one or the other. And so I chose April because it just timed out that way, like that's when I would be low in the tank. And yeah, that's the way it worked. And I never knew what my cost was going to be because they would fill it up to a certain level and they would build me you know. But I don't know how it works today, but that was Well, that's what.
Speaker 5: Bob does now, is he he will negotiate the price and then he'll have them fill it. I think they fill it, and then he makes payments on it and then usually they'll have to come back because he's just using it for heat. Usually they'll come back, like at the end of December, beginning of January to get him through the next month and a half because usually by February it's warming up enough you're not using the whole hell of a lot. But I mean it's gotten so bad that this year I'm using the fireplace. I'll be damned if I'm going to pay Duke Power any more money. Nine have to after last winter because it killed me. I had, you know, five hundred dollars eating bill one month, right because it's all electric.
Speaker 4: See, that's the thing in the Northeast though, right Your heating bills start to jack up in November because it starts getting cold then and it could stay that cold all the way up through March, you know, depending on the season. So you know, that was like the toughest thing. But you think about that for a second. That's you know, it's all the month of November, December, January, February and then part of March, almost four and a half months where you're at peak usage for you know, heating. Yeah, So I mean that's why I did it in April after all that was done, because the price should be a little higher, but it would be a lot more reasonable because it was it was going down a lot. Yeah.
Speaker 5: Yeah, so many years ago put a set of gas logs in this fireplace, and I'm taking those out and I'm going back to wood, mainly because I've got trees I'm taken down. So it's not a lack of fire. Hell, like, I know, fire would last until I die. There you go, just cutting stuff down. But I just I said, that's it. I'm not. Duke Power offers these energy programs that you can get under and they will affect They cut your power during certain peak times to your water heater, your central heat, and air like I have. And the most you can get for one of those programs is about sixty five to seventy dollars a year. It's only a few dollars each month. But they can cut your damn they can cut your AC off whenever the hell they want to. That's the problem with those plans. Yeah, they have full control. Oh we're experiencing the peak here at three o'clock in the afternoon, it's ninety nine degrees outside. We're cutting your seedback, you know. Or if you use certain things at certain times, well, if you wait to use your clothes dryer until after nine o'clock, well, how the fuck do they know if I'm running my clothes dryer or whether I'm running my oven. Smart meter, the smart meter doesn't know what it's looked too.
Speaker 4: But maybe it does.
Speaker 1: See.
Speaker 4: That's the thing. Some of these appliances, even ones that you think aren't exactly brand new, unless they're very, very old. A lot of them have a way of communicating that they're in use. And the smart meter is fed in through you know, some internet connection somewhere and it'll literally report on what you're using. It identifies the damn thing in use. Matter of fact, one guy has showed me something once where it knew how often the refrigerator was being opened the damn meter like somehow they got that information and somebody was opening and closing the refrigerator too often, like you know, like that that was one of the pieces of advice given to them to cut down their power bill. You're opening and closing your refrigerator too much.
Speaker 5: Yeah, mom, this summer hasn't been bad. If I said it. It takes me a while to get it tuned in because I know my my thermostat on the wall needs to be replaced just by the difference between what I've got it set on and what the actual temperature in the room is and what that little thermometer on the thermostat says. So I know there's a difference there, But once I get mine tuned in, it's very seldom I can't you know, I won't touch the heat or touch the AC for a month and a half. Now, we might get into a stretch where it's up to one hundred degrees every day during the week. Well then it gets, you know, adjusted to bump it down a little bit, because it does get hot in here. I'm lucky. I've got a lot of huge oak trees shaved me during this during the hottest part of the day, right, But when it's that hot for that many consecutive days, the house never cools off at night, so you're gonna be running it a little more. I haven't touched my thermostat probably in a month and a half. So during the summer, I'm lucky, I know about what I'm going to be spending each month. But wintertime, when it gets below thirty degrees for two weeks and doesn't get much above thirty degrees during the day for two weeks, that's when I'm gonna have a four hundred dollars power bill.
Speaker 4: Craziness, man, it is.
Speaker 5: So we're going with wood this winter, Well, you.
Speaker 4: Know, I would. I don't know what they're going to do about that, but I mean, you're gonna have to be conscientious about making sure you know, you got everything trapped up and you're not making a mess, because that's always the problem with the wood burning of fireplace, right, is that you know, you end up with a soot issue if you don't have the flu clear and all that stuff.
Speaker 1: Right.
Speaker 5: Oh yeah, mine, I've already checked out. All I've got to do is take the logs out of it, plug the whole mortar up the hole where the copper line comes in for the propane. But other than that, it's ready to go. Oh okay, But you know, and I've I've always most places i've lived, I've had a fireplace. Some places I've had wood stoves. Now I may look to see if I can find a wood stove or an insert that would fit this fireplace, And if I find one, I would probably buy it. It's just that much more efficient. Plus you've got a fan built in to you know, blow it circulated around the room and all that. It'd be much more efficient. But if not, now I just put a screen up in front of this damn thing and burn wood. But I am not going through another five hundred dollars power bill when it's thirty degrees outside.
Speaker 4: Yeah. No, I would definitely try with try to wood because the only other better solution I ever had was a natural I had one of those natural gas heaters that you know, like you actually had to you know, it had the igniter and all that, and it would light and it actually had plams in it. That thing was the most efficient way to warm the hell out of a small house. And I did it with just the one fireplace. It was perfect. The only thing was you had to leave all the doors open, because if I shut the doors, then I'd end up with frozen rooms, you know what I mean. Like, if you need the bathroom frozen, you go sit on the toilet. It's like sitting on a freaking ice cube.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 5: The biggest thing I needed for is just to knock the chill off. My living room is big enough that it can. It'll get chilly in here now. When we went when it got down to like the teens for a week this past winter, it was hard keeping it warm in here. I mean, the heat strips were running twenty four hours a day, and that's just spinning your meter off the side of the wall. So if I can keep this big room warmer, my bedroom, I just didn't have it cooler anyway. I can't sleep in the hot bedroom. So as long as I can keep them main living area warmer, a small fire in the fireplace will do that. And I've got ceiling fans in a lot of the rooms that I can cut on to help circulate it. But I just can't stand that damn electric pill. It's heat pump is nice, But you know, I understand why they're not that big a deal up north because it's always below freezing for a month at a time.
Speaker 4: Right, So it doesn't it's not gonna it's not. If you have electric heat up north, you are paying a brutal power bill. Oh yeah, like I said, for four and a half months pretty much. And that's not even like to keep your house toasty. I'm talking about just to.
Speaker 5: Make it livable, just to keep the fight from freezing.
Speaker 4: Yeah, and to make sure you sink doesn't freeze exactly like you're sinking your bath tuble and up frozen up if you don't eat your place a little bit. And I yes.
Speaker 5: I read it an old farmhouse over in Greenville for about four years before I got married, and it was, I mean it was. It was such an old farmhouse that used to have a separate kitchen that was off through a breezeway. You know, back then they always put the kitchen separate in case kitchen caught on fire, didn't burn down the rest of the house. Well, these guys got industrious. There were two brothers that owned this farm. They cut the kitchen off and moved it and butted it up to the back of the main house. Well, there there was an old oil heater in it, but when I moved in, the oil tank was gone. The heater was gone. So I was using carasan heaters for a while and using those things, you know, you could you could run them all day long and keep it comfortable in there. Well, at that time I was surveying, and I was that day I knew I was going to be you know, it was snow on the ground. We couldn't do much, so it was going to be like a half a day going the office. My wife comes out from taking a shower. She's getting ready to go to school. She was in East Carolina at the time, and she says, I think the drain in the bathtub is frozen. I said what, She says, yeah, it's not draining. I said, all right, well let me go look at it. So this old farmhouse that had put ten underneath to block off the crawl space under the house. So I take the tin down and I go under the bathroom and it's old cast iron pipe. It's well, at first, it's you remember the old flue pipe from the old stoves that you know, the metal pipe that would run up as your chimney.
Speaker 4: Oh yeah, yeah, yeah, okay.
Speaker 5: Okay, Well this was metal pipe like that wrapped around old cast iron pipe and they shoved newspapers in between the two pipes to insulate.
Speaker 4: Oh yeah.
Speaker 5: So I peel off the outer flue pipe and I finally get to the cast iron and it's just as you put your hand on and it's like sticking your hand on the block eye. So thought, oh crap, well that's what it is. So I hollered up. I knocked on the window and my wife came over there. I said, give me your hair dryer. So she opens the window and hands me her hair dryer, and I go out to the truck and I get one of these tripods that we used to use the whole level and rod and I spread it out, run a drop cord, plug in the hair dryer, used the big alligator clip to hold the hair hair dryer and point it right at the cast iron. And I don't know, maybe ten minutes had gone by. I cut the heater off so the hair dryer doesn't overheat. Then I cut it back on. I let it go and I cut it off, and next thing I know, my wife has come out of the house. He's getting ready to go to school, and she goes, well, do you think you have it fixed? I said, well, it just needs to thaw out. I'm gonna go in and check it for a minute. She goes, what are you doing. I'm reading newspapers from the nineteen thirties that they had shoved in these pottees for insulation. I'm sitting there, damn perfectly, you know, perfectly saved newsprint that hadn't seen the dale. You know, probably hadn't seen light a day since it was shoved in that pipe to insulate the damn thing. I saw sun as well.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I saw stuff like that shoved in the walls in Jersey because you know, at one point people used to insulate a lot of things with newspaper. So I saw like whole newspapers shoved in the freaking wall from like the nineteen twenties. Yeah, and I'm like, damn, you know, this whole thing's still here. I can still read about it, and I'm like, it's it's perfectly I mean, you know, some of them would get yellow or whatever if it was near stuff, but oh yeah.
Speaker 5: All this newspaper was yellow. But it was kind of funny. My wife, she was in a rush. He goes, well, you can update you on the news when I get back home, and she took off right.
Speaker 4: I mean, you know, my solution to what you're describing here is I would have started pouring hot water in it, you know what I mean, just to try and like melt the ice blockage would have been my move, you know, But then again, I mean some times that works, sometimes it doesn't.
Speaker 5: Then you know this way, Yeah, she took a hot shower and so the water going down the drain was hot and it still froze. So well, let me go just fall out the damn pipe, and that's all it was, was just that that cast iron had gotten cold overnight, right and had water sitting in it. It didn't have a lot of pits to it to drain. It was only you know, less of a quar inch per foot, so it was just sitting in there kind of flat, and it froze. So but we got to fix it. Didn't take even another twenty minutes and it was everything was fine. But just you know the fact that what they would use back then is just you know, shove newspapers in the pipe for insulation. That's all they had back then.
Speaker 4: Yeah. And that's the other funny thing that I would find in the walls of these houses, these old houses on the Jersey Shore, is that you could find like the wrappers and things from the guy's lunches that were building the house too. Yeah, because they just shoved that crap in there instead of throwing it away somewhere. Just that we found bottles in the wall and everything, like all kinds of stuff, like old coke bottles in the wall, and old beer bottles were in the wall, Like beers I never even heard of were stuffed in the wall. I was like, Wow, these guys just like whatever they were eating or drinking, they were like as screw it, stuffed that in the wall too, and it was just part of the insulation, you know. And then you wondered why, like some of these places would go up and burn down real quick. On the Jersey Shore, they're stuffed with kindling half of the time, newspaper and freaking sandwich wrappers, paper sandwich wrappers. What do you expect, you know? So I don't know. I was surprised that they didn't have more fires from the electrical wire that people wound up, because people would just punch, like these places didn't even initially have electricity, some of them, right, So they would later on punch electric like drill holes and run wires through these walls, and then they would put a box like fixed on the outside of the wall, like you wouldn't have a receptacle in the wall. It would be mounted on the outside of the wall, right, But these wires would come through, you know, from like a junction outside, and then they would like you know, and then create a junction on each side of the house, and then they would stick them through these these holes. And I'm thinking to myself, if these wires ever heated up. They're surrounded by newspaper. All you need is a hot, dry day and you know, and freaking enough heat on the wires, and boom, these places are just going to go up. Like I was surprised more places didn't burn down on the Jersey Shore. Other people told me, you know, it was the conditions because it was constantly damp because you're near the ocean, you know, so it never really fully dries out, like there's always enough dampness to not quite you know, light up the dried up newspaper. But if they did that in other parts of the country, you're right, whole houses would burn whole neighborhoods would burned down.
Speaker 5: Well, I mean, like this house it was it was I can't remember how old they said it was, but I mean, this was an old wooden frame house. And I had a window air conditioner in the living room, and the sill underneath it had started to rot. So I take the air conditioner out of the window, and I popped the sill off in the window sill, and I looked down in the wall. The only insulation in this house was spiderwebs. There was nothing between the outer wall and the inner wall, and they were plaster walls, so like the old lab plaster you know where they so.
Speaker 4: Past the woods, yeah, past the little thin leath is nothing just.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I mean it's just empty space until you get to the exterior wall. Oh wow, I thought, well, no, wonder this. But you know, how did these people live? You think about it. You know they had lived this house. Somebody has always lived in this farmhouse. It's only been vacant for you know, short periods of time. But if you didn't have heat, how the hell did you live in it? I mean, Luckily, like I said, I had care of sudden heaters, so I could put one in the in the living room that would heat the living room, in the kitchen, and I could put one between the bedroom and the bathroom. Of course, we had an electric space heater in the bathroom. But other than that two care of sun heaters. I kept the house toasty. All went along. I mean, you could have two foot of snow on the ground, it's still nice and warming there. But oh, you think about what people had to go through back years ago when they were hauling coal or wood, or had an old pop belly stove in the kitchen, and that was the only heat you had in the house.
Speaker 4: Well, that was the reason for a lot of the designs, right, because you had to centralize around where you could keep it heated, but also where you could allow a breeze, right, So you know, everything was sort of designed with that in mind at one point. That's why you know some of these like old places, they're designed a little weird and people are like, why would you put this here? Well, because they didn't have these options. It was like, you know, if you only had the stove to heat the whole place, right, you sort of built everything around that. I mean, when you got kerosene heaters or heaters you can move around. You could choose to just keep your bedroom warm, right, like just keep the bedroom in the bathroom warm while you sleep, and then the rest of the place you could let go cold it provided you're not worrying about pipes freezing and breaking, you know, which is another weird thing that I discovered in the South which I never heard of before. These guys, you know, the like spicketts you have outside that you know, they come up and they curve down and people screwed their hoses onto them. You know, those kinds of things in the yard. Well, for some reason, people put five gallon buckets on top of these things, right and I and I'm told that this actually prevents it from freezing to a certain degree. Now I don't know.
Speaker 5: It just it keeps the outside air from hitting the pipe and getting I mean, the pipe's gonna be cold, but it doesn't get below freezing because a lot of times your water source is coming from somewhere that's warmer, like if it's an industrial, like if it's a municipal water system that's buried underground, it's deep enough that it's below the frost line that it doesn't freeze thaw. You know, ground stays a certain what is it a fifty three degrees or something so many feet down is yes, the permanent temperature, so it's not going to freeze that low. Now, my friend who's got a swimming pool, they've got an outdoor faucet. Instead of one on the side of the house where you just turn the handle, this one comes out of the ground. It's a pipe, right, and then it bends over and it's got a handle that you a lever that you pull up to get the water to flow. Okay, Well, she was filling up a pool and she was calling me, like every other day, I lost three inches of water overnight. Where is it goes? There's got to be a leak. And I went around checked the pool. All the fittings were tight for the hoses to pump everything. It wasn't leaking there, but it would go down every night. And finally I'm sitting there looking at it. She's got the hose in the pool. And I looked at her outdoor faft and I said, when you get done filling up with water, do you take the hose out? No, I said, that's where your water's going. She says, what do you mean the standpipe on your water outlets that comes out of the ground. There's a valve down in the bottom of it, so that this thing comes out of the ground and it sits up two and a half three feet to where you hook your hose up. It's just straight pipe comes straight up out of the ground. I said, what happens is this when you shut your water off and you push that lever down, there's a rod in there that goes all the way to the bottom and opens so that the water that's in your hose bib will drain out and it won't freeze overnight. I said, So when you shut your water off, you've created a vacuum and it's siphoning it water out of your pool.
Speaker 4: It's slowly pulling the water back out.
Speaker 5: Pulling it back down the line. And it was such a small amount that it would only be about three inches overnight. And it took me a month to figure that out. Wow, I said, when you get done putting water in the pool, take the hose out of the pool, and a problem stopped. But nobody. If somebody who's not familiar with how that damn that hose outlet worked, they would have never figured it out.
Speaker 1: Right.
Speaker 5: It was just one of those things like I said, Well, you're siphoning whatever you're putting in there during the day, you're siphing it back out overnight. Well, I can't believe that. I said, Okay, when you get done filling the pool this afternoon, shut the water off, take the hose out, and I guarantee you you won't have lost any water by morning. That's what it was.
Speaker 4: That's what happened. Wow, that's hilarious. You're actually literally drawing the water back out and wondering where the hell it's calling.
Speaker 5: I mean, she was about to go nuts. It's not leaking anywhere, I said. I said, look, I've checked every fitting. I said, there's no water on the outside.
Speaker 1: It's not leaking.
Speaker 5: It's not your pump, it's not your connections, it's not the bottom drain. All that is bone dry. I even got in the pool with you know you squirt bottles that the restaurants used put ketchup in yep, where you just popped the cap off and.
Speaker 1: You squeeze it. All right.
Speaker 5: I got one of those, and I got a piece of hose, like surgical hose, clear tubing, put on the end of it, and I put red food color in the water in a bottle, and I got in the pool with a damn set of goggles on and got down and started sweeping spots, just barely putting out a puff of red water, trying to see where it was going. So I told her, I said, your pool is not leaking, Well good, it's got to be leaking because it's going down every damn night. Okay, just pull hose out and that'll solve your problem.
Speaker 4: Well that's great, and that is a great solution to go going with the with the food coloring and trying to get it because you didn't get that red to leak out somewhere. You go up there it is, you know, you got a little more.
Speaker 5: You can see it. Yeah, And what I did, like her where her pump in lit comes into the side of the pool, you go around that fitting. If it's leaking, it's going to pull it out.
Speaker 4: That hole, right, some red will come out. It'll just be that simple because you're putting it right there. Yeah, I got you. Okay, it all makes sense.
Speaker 5: But I scratched my head. Scratched my head, and then I got to thinking about that damn water hook up, and I thought, well, wait a minute, that thing is designed to drain so it doesn't freeze in the winter, right, And so that's when I went online and I looked up the guts of how that thing was built. And there's a little washer at the very bottom of it. When you raise the handle, the washer comes up and seals off one part of the hose bib, so your water diverts and goes through the tube at the top and comes out your hose. When you shut it off and push it down, the rod goes down and a washer seals off the upper part, but it allows everything that's in that tube to drain out, right, so the exit.
Speaker 4: So it was just if the hose is empty and it has nothing to draw on, it can only draw air down there and then that'll stop exactly. Yeah, So I get it. That's that's functionally the way that should work. But if you give it a water supply, it's going to slowly, which is funny. Oh wow, that is funny.
Speaker 5: I would never have thought of that though, because I I drove him crazy.
Speaker 4: I would I would probably still be scratching my head over it because I would have never thought to look to see how that's designed, like, you know, further onto, because why would you think about it beyond you know, thispicket if nothing's bulled.
Speaker 5: I mean, and this is an eighteen foot pool, So if there was a pinhole in the very bottom and water was leaking out the bottom of the pool, you wouldn't see it.
Speaker 1: You know.
Speaker 5: The soil that we have here is a real sandy loam, and it's water drains through it real quick, right, So if it was actually leaked, let's say in the very middle of the pool, there was a pinhole in the floor, right, and was leaking out there. Well, you wouldn't see a wet spot in the yard. I mean, this pool is eighteen feet across, right, it's going to soak into the ground and keep right on going out. So I'm down there with my nose like an inch off the bottom of the pool, with this damn thing squirting out red water for an hour. You know. I had a breathing hose over the side of the pool so I could stay down there and I'm squirting red water, and she's watching me just as intently, like like, oh, you missed a spot, you know, And I thought, God knows, I'm gonna go crazy trying to figure out where this damn hole is and come to find out it's just going right back out the dale hose.
Speaker 4: That's just hilarious. The simplest answer too.
Speaker 5: Now.
Speaker 4: And then when you remove the hose, never again another problem. So there was no other breach.
Speaker 5: Yeah, you're on the on the water system. If you tell them you have a pool, they take your average monthly amount of water before pool season, and then because whatever however many gallons of water you use, they also charge you a sewer feed. And what they do is they take the number of gallons that they figure you put in the pool and they don't charge you a sewer feed for that. You still pay for the water, but you don't have the matching sewer fee to go with it. So you have to get on the pool list at the beginning of the season.
Speaker 4: I see, Okay, there you go, helpful hints.
Speaker 5: For rural life.
Speaker 4: Why not you know, with all these things going on though? You know, it's like, how do you how do you stop you know, the electric company from jacking you up and everything else?
Speaker 5: I mean you can't.
Speaker 4: It's yes, it's impossible.
Speaker 5: You know.
Speaker 1: Here's this.
Speaker 5: In fact, three months ago, Duke Power came out and said, we want an eighteen percent increase statewide. We have a utilities commission. Now, the utilities Commission is not here to look out for you to make sure you're not getting screwed over by whatever utility you are at the mercy of Oh hell no, they're there just to set rates and approve rate increases and make sure that the that they're there to make sure that the utility is not screwing the state. They don't care about the citizen, right, So Duke Power wanted an eighteen percent increase. Well, they turned them down. So Duke Power came with, Okay, we need a twelve percent increase, turned them down. Now it's sitting right out about nine and a half percent. Well, and they're gonna go they're gonna battle over that nine and a half percent. But if Duke could go down to nine and a half percent, why the hell were they asking for eighteen at the beginning. Yeah, because they thought they could get it.
Speaker 4: Exactly.
Speaker 5: It's like, we're gonna try to screw and they've got a monopoly here. Let's see here parts of Kentucky, parts of South Carolina, parts of Tennessee, parts of Ohio, Illinois. They're in about nine states. So I mean, how are you gonna, you know, how you're gonna fight something that big?
Speaker 4: You don't. You can't, right, I Mean, that's what it comes down to anymore, is if it becomes large enough forget it. I think we got Jimmy James back on the line, So I'm gonna bring him back and see what he's got to say. Hey, Jimmy, you're back. Yeah, I don't know. You were just gone and I just you know, continued on. I didn't say anything because I was like, Okay, I guess you had to go. But what else you got?
Speaker 9: Well, clearly the internet guy it was here working on stuff. He's done a bang up job. Every ten fifteen minutes, the internet just clicks up.
Speaker 4: Oh maybe that was the problem with you disappear and maybe your your phone got clipped with it. I don't know.
Speaker 5: Did he give you one of those systems where you got to keep turning the switch on? Like the tennis court bikes at night run fifteen minutes and that's all tennis court do what know you've never seen? Oh Jimmy, you haven't lived. Are you ever going to play tennis at night? And this may be a weird quest, but the town that's all the towns I've grown up in. If you go to play tennis at night, they have lights, yep. But you have to walk over to the far side of the court and turn the knob on the timer. And so like every forty five minutes you're in the middle of playing. You know, you're trying to get a whole set of tennis in, but every forty five minutes you got to go over there and turn the light timer back or it'll go forty five minutes and then shut off.
Speaker 4: It'll shut off.
Speaker 5: Yeah, that's how they control the lights, you know those Nobody walks away at night and the lights stay on all night long.
Speaker 1: Right now.
Speaker 3: I've seen some places where the.
Speaker 9: The craft has had a stinker fan that worked like that end of timer.
Speaker 4: See, they used to do that with night basketball in the Northeast. Same thing with those timers. You know, it's like you literally have to crank it all the way around and it stops, and it only goes for like you said, forty five minutes to a half hour. I think maybe maybe some of them are half hour, but that's it. That way, you can't possibly leave the lights on and walk away, is the idea.
Speaker 5: Yeah, most of the parks around here had them when I was growing up, had him on the basketball courts. I had them on the tennis courts, but not on the ball field, which used to piss everybody off because people would want to play softball at night or something like that. Or you get like a church group down there and they want to play a game, and if you didn't make arrangements and pay a fee, you couldn't have lights on the ball field.
Speaker 4: Yeah, you literally had to get somebody to go down there and turn nose on.
Speaker 5: Yeah, yep, I guess there was too many lights to put on a timer.
Speaker 4: I guess I bet you it was. You know it was possible, but that.
Speaker 5: No, they wanted to make the money. That's a lot of lights that cost the city a lot of money. We need at least fifty bucks something. Yeah, call on somebody's pocket.
Speaker 4: You got to pay to play, right, That's true?
Speaker 5: That is true.
Speaker 4: What am I supposed to do? Everybody wants to squeeze a bucket everything, and I get it, but damn sometimes you know it's.
Speaker 5: Going to get to the point people aren't going to have any money to squeeze.
Speaker 4: Well, see, that's what I'm wondering about. You know, eventually you hit limits where you know, like McDonald's started to discover that a few months ago. Now. They were supposed to have adjusted all their prices, but I'm not hearing about any grand adjustments. You know, they added a couple of value menu items, but they didn't really change the overall price for like people going to eat, Like if you wanted to like feed your family McDonald's one night, it's still a gigantic price. You know, Burger King is offering coupons every month. But McDonald's, you know, they were addressing this to their stockholders and saying, listen, you know we've kind of accidentally priced out a huge portion of our regular customers. So have you heard anything about that, be Pete, Remember when we brought that up on the show.
Speaker 5: Yeah, now I haven't since I've quit work. You know, I'm not eating fast food as much as I used to. But from what I'm from what I'm eating and what people are telling me. You know, the price of lunch usually, well used to you could go find a seven ninety five lunch somewhere at Ruby Tuesdays at the Salad bar, or you can go to Western Steer or something like that and get the beef tips with onions and peppers for seven ninety nine. Well you didn't forget that now, Yeah, seven ninety nine. Seven ninety nine might get you a drink and a burger at McDonald's.
Speaker 4: Right, you know that's the thing. You need ten bucks to get lunch of any kind, you know, at a bare minimum, and generally speaking, to be safe, you need a twenty dollar bill to buy lunch, yeah, which you know is too much. And like I say, I sit here and like every once in a while, you know, I want to try to, like, you know, get burgers or whatever for Frankie and also so you know, Kim doesn't have to cook or whatever, and I can't do it for like, I cannot feed the three of us in any reasonable way for like under thirty bucks.
Speaker 5: Ever, No, there's no way.
Speaker 4: Yeah, there's no way.
Speaker 5: You know. A friend of mine and I went to Highway fifty five, which is a hamburger chain that we have through here. It used to beat Andy's Burgers, and we could go in there. The two of us could sit down and grab the cheeseburger fries special and it was about eight fifty with tax, it was right around nine dollars and that was for your drink, fries, and a good sized cheeseburger. Well, we went, this is probably three weeks ago. We decided to go grab lunch. Got the same thing that we get every time, and it was almost eighteen dollars. Yeah, it's crazy. It's I don't steaks now, you know, see on some of these steakhouses a lone star places like that, you know, twenty six dollars for a ribi baked potato and a salad. Well, it used to you could get that for seventeen dollars, but now it's almost thirty.
Speaker 4: Well, I can't even afford to buy a steak at home at this point, you know, again, feeding three people, it's impossible.
Speaker 5: Yeah, my grocery bill has gone up quite a bit. I don't eat a lot of expensive things, but I've gotten to where now when I buy meats, if it's buy one, get one free, I definitely go and get that, or get a family package of something and break it down and put it in the freezer.
Speaker 4: And that's your smart move.
Speaker 5: Then, you know, you got to just the only way to save money. And now that I'm on a fixed income, you know it's I've had I've had to watch pennies. Although I did see one item four years at food Line you could get two packs of shredded cheese for four dollars. Well, now, when COVID hit, it jumped up to four twenty five, then it got up to four fifty, then it got up to about four seventy five. For the first time in five years. They had finally lowered the price back down to two for four dollars.
Speaker 4: Oh wow, Okay, so some.
Speaker 5: Things are coming down, but it's awfully slow.
Speaker 4: Well, I have I listen. We don't have food lions here, and the Pigley Wiggly near me went out of business. So uh, they opened some other weird grocery store there.
Speaker 5: That's hard to believe. Man, Pigley Wigglies are so strong here.
Speaker 4: See what I told you. The Pigley Wiggly here was actually price gouging in the poor neighborhood because it was pretty much the only like close by you got to you gotta take a ride to go get to Kroger or something, and really the closest next grocery store is Walmart, but that's it's ways away. You know, it's not an easy taxi oruber ride. And if you don't, you know, I mean, I'm just saying it's easier to pay the fee and have that stuff delivered from a Walmart or Kroger. At the time, that's true, but Pigley Wiggily was higher priced than any of them here, and nobody wanted to believe me about it. But now they've actually finally literally they've gone out of business. You remember there was a Piggley Wiggly just right down the road from me. Yeah, it's gone.
Speaker 5: Wow, that's you know, that's that's hard for me to believe, because they really stay strong here. In fact, Giggly Wiggily is one of the fewest stores that still has a in the house butcher. Food line has all gone to prepackaged stuff. They got rid of all their uh, all the butchers in the stores. Now we've got a little The guy opened the store here in town that was a Pigley Wiggly years and years ago, and then they moved out. And then with the floods from the Hurricane one store, they said, screw it, we built a new store. It flooded, We're getting the hell out of it. So for the longest time we didn't have grocery store here and down. This guy opened this one up I think three Christmases ago, and he's he's expensive on most things, but his damn cuts of meat. Man, you can go in there and spend four dollars and get you know, three thick cut pork chops. You can get you know, a whole chicken that's been cut and hand rubbed to go on the grill for four dollars in something.
Speaker 4: Oh, I can't even approach stuff like that.
Speaker 5: He or No, Yeah, I mean his meat prices. I don't know how he's doing it so cheap, but they're the best cuts of meat. It's good meat. It's it's not you know, it's not the worst of the choice. He's getting top of the line. I'd get a whole rack of ribs for seventeen dollars a full rack, and that's cheap.
Speaker 4: That's almost that's almost organized crime prices right there, be beat up.
Speaker 5: Down you now. Yeah, it's like falling off the top. Yeah, so I'll spend a little more. We've got a dollar General. We've got the grocery store just down the road. We've got another dollar General. If I want to go seven miles down the road, I've got a food line in a Pigley Wiggy that I can go to and save money. But still, you know, just keeping stuff here local, trying to support this guy. I'd rather give him my business and keep a grocery store here so that you can run down there, you know, when you're getting ready to fix Oh god, I need flour, I can go get flour, right, you know, instead of having to run eight miles down the road to get to another town. So it's worth paying the little bit extra that you pay him, and occasionally he gets stuff in there, like Stofer's meals and stuff. He's got some in there that are costing three twenty five, which cost you four fifty anywhere else. So he does have some deals periodically, but for his meats. Hell, I'll overpay for everything to get price that I'm getting all the meats down there. You just can't beat it.
Speaker 4: Yeah, right, Jimmy, what is the big grocery store?
Speaker 8: When are you?
Speaker 9: I wouldn't know. I go to Dollar Generals.
Speaker 4: Okay, Well a lot of people are doing what you're doing, Jimmy. You know, just going and shopping at Dollar General or Family Dollars still, you know, and just using their grocery section because they have like smaller things in there, and you know, you can get stuff a little cheaper because it's in a smaller bag and this kind of stuff.
Speaker 5: Yeah, that's weird though. Here our Dollar General has got a pretty good refrigerated frozen food section. But when you go over to Aiden and you go in their Dollar General, they're frozen foods and refrigerated foods are next to nothing. I mean they have no space whatsoever. But they got a shit ton of everything else.
Speaker 4: You see Aiden is probably in a better neighbor Aiden is a better neighborhood than where you are though, right.
Speaker 5: Right, And they're right next to the food line.
Speaker 4: Okay, well so they know, you.
Speaker 5: Know, people are going to go through their grocery shopping and food line. But I buy my coffee from Dollar General. It's cheaper than what I can get at food line now, and food line cut out the dark roast that I used to buy of their own brand. And I'm not spending twenty bucks for coffee when I can get it for twelve dollars. Yeah, that Dollar General.
Speaker 4: That's something that's gone up too is coffee.
Speaker 5: Oh, coffee is through the nose now.
Speaker 4: I mean it's brutal, you know. And that's like one of the that's one of missus O's fuels. There is coffee.
Speaker 5: Oh yeah, I drink it all day. You know, if I only had a cup of day, I wouldn't care that my my ten pack of cake cups has gone up a dollar. Oh dear, you know, I drink I drink coffee all day long. So I'm making you know, six or seven cups, so it adds up. I'm not going to spend twenty dollars on something that I can get something that I like the taste of for twelve dollars, right.
Speaker 4: No, it, but but it's still it has gone up exponentially though, Oh it has.
Speaker 5: If you're buying any kind of brand coffee from Folders Maxwell House, all of it is expensive. It's ridiculous.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I mean just almost double and priced some of it. Yeah, you know, so, and forge I don't.
Speaker 5: See how people with families, I don't see how they do it.
Speaker 4: Yeah. Well, that's the thing is, when I'm sitting here dealing with the three of us, it's sort of like I can make cuts if it was just for one of us or two of us. But there's certain problems of trying to feed three people that.
Speaker 5: It's like, well, especially when you got a kid too, you just don't want to feed them junk. You want to feed them something that's you know, some semblance of healthy.
Speaker 4: Well, and the other problem there is that when he goes through a growth spurg because now he's you know, he's gotten bigger since the last time you saw him. He's he's taller than his mom by a shot now, you know, and like, so he's grown quite a bit, and sometimes he just like go was on an eating bitch for a bit and just eats every damn thing. Like, you know, I'll go out there and I'll be like, what happened to the bread? You know, I had a half a loaf of bread? I ate some bread. You ate half a loaf of bread for what? Well? I was hungry, okay, but what about the other ten things you ate? You know, like it just he goes through these time periods where he's just freaking hungry because he's growing. And I do remember that sort of vaguely when I was a kid. Other guys who definitely had more access to food, But there were times when I was spending a lot of money on food, you know. I mean I would buy takeout food, and I would go sit in restaurants myself and stuff. But I was making money. But even when I was still growing a bit in my teen years, Yeah, there were times when it was like I could eat almost twenty four hours a day. You know.
Speaker 5: Well, that's like being in the military. You know, my dad was retired maybe so he still had base privileges after he retired, right, so you know up the road thirty miles was Air Force base. We could go there and go to the commissary. You had the commissary, which was your grocery store, and then you had the exchange, which was kind of like your best buy. They had your clothes. It kind of like your Walmart clothes, electronics stuff, clocks, raisers, you know all that stuff. Well, now on base you can still find some good deals in the exchange and save quite a bit of money, TVs things like that. But I was talking with my brother who is retired Coastguard, so he's got base privileges. They've stopped going to the commissary because the prices in the commissary are just as high as they are on the outside. So why drive thirty miles, Yeah, just to go to the commissary when you spend the same thing at home, and.
Speaker 4: That was never the case.
Speaker 5: You know, the military base is always cheaper.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I mean people used to give money to, you know, guys that were going to the military base to get me this, you know what I mean, especially if you had a need for something bigger. I mean one of the big things. A long time ago, when they still sold cigarettes on bases. I don't know if they still do, but when they sold cigarettes on base, there was no tax on them.
Speaker 5: That was yeah, oh yeah, that was the biggest thing. And you get those of the exchange, not at the Commissary. But yeah, my brother will still go up there to the exchange because you know, if he's looking for a certain item, sometimes you get it cheaper there then you can on Amazon or something like that. Right, but for groceries, I asked him. I see he said no, he said, we quit messing with the commissary. He says, the prices down in here are just as cheap. Basis has gotten that bad.
Speaker 4: Yeah. See, that's that's way out of whack because every time I knew people that went to it, it was like they always came back with stuff like way cheaper, everything way cheaper somehow, you know. So but uh anyways, yeah, well what time is it? Anyway? I didn't even check. Oh okay, we got about a half hour left, looks like, but uh okay, I was just double checking on the time. So Jimmy, you got anything else on your mind?
Speaker 1: Man?
Speaker 4: No, okay, fair enough, anybody else that wants to join us here for this last half hour the open mic night though, three one nine five two seven five zero one six that's always the number to call, and you know, I'd like to see some feedback from you guys about uh about last night's show, if you know, if you get a chance to pick up the podcast, that's for sure. And uh, I'm probably gonna put out some videos of a couple other things that I'm going to offer to mail out to people if they want to buy them, uh from me, I'm getting rid of a whole lot of JFK related stuff, but some other things as well, including the last of the merch I have Chelly Effect merch stuff. And you know what else I dug up accidentally is a whole bunch of my artwork from years ago when I did the Blind Guy with Black Ink thing and I was selling you guys some of my sketches. So I'm gonna put videos out with all that stuff and be like, Hey, anybody still want any of this crap, Let's go more than happy to exchange it for some money, you know. Just to keep the lights on, which, by the way, they were off earlier today, but we did get them back on. We managed to get the lights back on here at the house because almost wasn't gonna be able to do the show tonight. But anyway, I'm on the pay as you go system over here, which I'm not fond of, but I can't seem to get off it either anyways, So those things are going on. I also have some like magazines from the sixties, Look Magazine, what do you call it? The Saturday Evening Post, a bunch of things that are JFK related to All those photographs are pretty much gone, but I have lots and lots of books, which I'm going to start digging up and offering out the better ones, I guess to people, because you know, cheap books are going to do me no good because they're going to cost me more to ship than anything. Because that's another crazy thing, is shipping costs or way the hell up me, Pete, I don't know if you know that. Oh yeah, but do you try to ship anything? I mean, I've defaulted now to just I've got a bunch of flat rate shipping things, and I'm just going to send stuff priority because I mean, they killed me on sending out you know, a Manila envelope with photographs in it? Sure you know, over twenty dollars for a Manila envelope stuffed with photographs. I mean, that's crazy. Within the United States and in some cases only sending stuff to Florida or Texas from Georgia. I mean, damn, twenty five bucks for a Manila envelope full of anything? Are you kidding me? I'm not going to flat rate envelope. Yeah, go ahead.
Speaker 5: I wouldn't be surprised when we start seeing the post Office saying now we're going to start cutting every other day deliveries.
Speaker 4: Or something. Something is coming new new cuts to the post Office. I don't know what it's going to be, but well, yeah, I believe that's coming up too. I mean, and and there's still a push to privatize it, by the way, which I know with the disaster, you know, well I look at.
Speaker 5: It, you know, I spend.
Speaker 3: They're one of the few things that's actually mentioned in the Constitution that the government actually does have to do.
Speaker 4: Yeah, that's true. That is true. They are one of those few government agencies that is actually there.
Speaker 5: And there's yeah, we got twenty seven that we don't need, but they can't run the one that they are supposed to.
Speaker 4: It kills me, of course, you know, but that's that's that's good enough for government work. As they used to say, right, Jimmy.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that's the motto of the bureaucracy.
Speaker 4: There you go. Sorry, I don't mean to agree with them or anything. I'm actually just saying in a mocking way. But no, it's the most ridiculous thing. And I don't know. I used to hear people complain about the post office, and quite frankly, I thought it functioned pretty well, you know, before the year two thousand, for sure, but even in the early two thousands it functioned pretty damn well from almost every time I used it, you know what I mean. I've only gotten involved in wacky weirdness ever since, you know, like like that package I had sent back to me for no reason where you know, they told me I didn't pay no postage, and meanwhile I went to the counter and had them put the damn postage on it. How the hell with the postage?
Speaker 5: Yeah, you know, I gotta I gotta commend you on not making that a you know, a front page item, because if it had been me, he has seen it on your six o'clock news.
Speaker 4: I mean, because at the end of the day, right, they still returned it to me, and effectively, what they are they gonna give me a free shipment. Are they gonna fix it that they're not? There is no solution to that. It's just, you know, let me double check and make sure this doesn't get sent back to me a second time. Genius over there in the postal uniform. Uh, but tell me what I did wrong, because I don't get it.
Speaker 5: Yeah, if it had been me, you'd have seen footage on the six o'clock news of me marching some postal employee out with the nozzle of a fire extinguisher taped to his head, and it's like, if you guys don't send this damn thing, I'm gonna freeze this guy's noggin off. I mean, I'm serious. I would have gone postal, literally gone postal over that. You know, that's an expression we haven't heard in a long time. No, it's going postal.
Speaker 4: It's actually one of those like political incorrect things. It's like, oh, that's been being to postal workers.
Speaker 5: You know, I know they're the ones that created it, right, I know.
Speaker 4: You know I was explained, you know, I was explaining that to somebody because they used some old phrase. Oh I know what it was.
Speaker 8: It was.
Speaker 4: I was talking to the guy who I did the show with last night and before we did the show, he said something about, you know, people say stuff like it must be something in the water, and I think they're right, and I went, yeah, but see, here's the thing about that. There was a reason why that phrase came to be in the first place, because it used to be there was something in the damn water, because the whole community would get affected because we all shared centralized water sources, right, So if the whole community was affected, somebody might go, well, damn, it must be something in the water. Because it was the one common link. It made sense. And then it didn't make sense to be well, and it sounded like an archaic, you know, thing from an old fashioned phrase or whatever, but it's still actually fairly ethical. It makes sense.
Speaker 5: Yeah, yeah, like the old phrase mad as a hatter, uh huh, And it's like, where the hell did that come from. Well, back when they used to make hats out of beaver skin and things like that, they would treat it with chemicals and formaldehyde and stuff like that, right, and it would actually drive people crazy. So mad as a hatter meant that you're as crazy as someone that's been working in a hat haberdashery. And the man finally went nuts. I mean there's yeah, there's a reason behind those things.
Speaker 4: Yeah, because they treated skins and things with you know, arsenic and all kinds of weird stuff where people would get poisoned and yeah, and they'd start to a crazy because they were actually deranged from poisoning soaking into their systems from the damn hat they were wearing. So mad as a hatter is actually a sensible Yeah. People think it comes from outs in Wonderland, and it's like, no, no, no, it actually comes. Yeah, go ahead, Jimmy.
Speaker 9: To cut full with mercury.
Speaker 4: Mercury. That was one of the big problems. Yeah, and uh, this in the this, oh oh.
Speaker 3: I'm going in order and in search of the alternator, I'll be in the general neighborhood of that mk ultrac or no not mkul absolully. I mean now the guy that the area fifty one guy, should I dropped in on him?
Speaker 4: Or what the area fifty one guy? Wait? Which area fifty one guy?
Speaker 5: The first one?
Speaker 9: The only reason why we even talk about know about it at this point, that one dude.
Speaker 4: Oh really, why not, Jimmy, as long as it look recorded for me, will you? Because I would love to hear an interaction between you that guy.
Speaker 1: But you won't believe this.
Speaker 9: So that guy, what's his name? I can't think of her right now. He drives a corvette that literally says something crazy like h oh, Majestic twelve or something MK twelve or something.
Speaker 4: Yeah, something like that.
Speaker 9: Right, what is that guy said?
Speaker 3: Way ways, even though the government says he's crazy, YadA YadA, YadA, guess what, he is a high tech company and they still do business with him.
Speaker 9: So they must not think you're too crazy. I would love to interview that dude.
Speaker 4: Well, look, if you interview it, record it. We'll play it right here. I promise you. I guarantee you. I will play that interview if you can record it onto a digital me you know, a digital conveyance, I will play it right here on the show.
Speaker 5: And you know who else.
Speaker 9: Lives in that area? General areas those Rowan Oak gu Island crazy guys. This guy's obsessed with rowing on really like maybe the track boil them down? Say what's up with you in that island?
Speaker 5: Man?
Speaker 4: Okay, go for it. What can I tell you?
Speaker 1: Man?
Speaker 4: All I got to tell you is just make sure you tape everything you do is.
Speaker 5: It Bob Lazar?
Speaker 4: I thought that's who he was thinking of.
Speaker 5: Yeh, Area fifty guy.
Speaker 9: Bob Lazaar's the guy for the Area fifty one guy.
Speaker 4: Yeah, okay, hey, we've got another caller though, Jimmy. But believe me, I make sure you record that stuff and send it to me somehow and we will play it on here. I guarantee that I want to take the other caller see what's on his mind though, because we got about got about twenty minutes left. So h let's get to it and see what our other caller has to say. If I can get over here, there we go, computer cooperating. Thank you. Yeah, it looks like Danny from California is on the phone. Danny's good evening. Hey, good evening. I'm glad to have you along. I guess you, uh you woke up from your nap in time to call in this time.
Speaker 5: I didn't get an app Oh not a chasing cat?
Speaker 1: Jass you all children. I was like, it's like chasing gat oh.
Speaker 4: Oh hurt okay, it's like herding cats, right right right, yeah, I.
Speaker 1: Should say hurting cats. That's a proper perfect arm here I got. I just pulled myself a stiff when I'll be in bed here in a little bit. Hey, a topic that that I want to talk about. It's kind of a stress test and uh share you think about the financial collapse in two thousand and eight, When did when did that start? That started in the eighties with a lot of b regulations and we had had the savings and loan crisis, but also to in the meantime started the big build up of the military industrial complex. K Street took over the flock. Obvious they've dominated both political parties and this Iran war is very extremely concerning. I think this has been a war of choice. It's not very well thought out, and it's really exposed if you look at it as a stress test where we're at because the Iranians have these Sharat drones and they're what cost you maybe fifteen to twenty thousand dollars a bill, and we get these intercept missiles that costs from one to four million dollars in estimates, and we're limiting our capability and they're striking all over the Middle East. This is not going to go good.
Speaker 4: See now this has been I was a bad guy for bringing up something very similar to this, where I said, look, they're using very cheap drones in comparison to the more expensive weaponry that either US or Israel is utilizing. If they can even remotely compete with us attrition over time, the amount of money that it's going to cost us, it's like watching what happened to the Soviet Union, where you know, they invested so much money into the arms race that you know a lot of people argue that's what broke them was the arms race. Right, Well, if we get involved in a real time race, but yeah.
Speaker 1: A conflict. But also to remember in the eighties, the Saudis flooded the oil market, right, the Soviets relied on that oil revenue. In fact, that caused the US to cap the Wells and Texas. So, yeah, the arms races, it's and we're asking for another half five hundred billion dollars more. I mean, this is absurd.
Speaker 4: Well, and that's the thing is that just through attrition, if we continue to engage in this and we're shooting you know, one hundred thousand dollars million dollar weapons, okay at a clip, and these guys are using twenty thousand dollars drones, it just seems to me like, you know, even though our revenue is a lot larger, we're going to be spending at an exponential rate compared to the combatants that we're dealing with. And that becomes a problem that nobody wants to face. You know, when it comes to modern warfare, is that if you have that kind of a cost differential, Okay, unless the Chinese are going to step in and give and give somebody dirt cheap technology, which I don't think it'll be us that they'll give it to. You know, that's how you tip the scale is by attrition and financial And I brought this up when this first happened, that you know, if you're utilizing stuff like that, and if they're triggering stuff like the Iron Dome in Israel, right, which is an expensive bit of technology, if you're triggering that, but you're using cheap ass drones to do it, and you're also engaging with you know, many millions of dollars worth of hardware that's shooting again millions of dollars worth of munitions, and you're doing it with twenty thousand dollars pieces of technology, you know, where you could literally you know, put out fifty to one, right, It becomes a problem. It's mathematics is the issue. You know, forget about what's right and wrong. It's a matter of somebody's going to run out of money here, and somebody's going to run out of resources, and you know, if you're spending it like that, it's sort of like, you know, hey, look, I can go on five family vacations for one hundred thousand dollars. Great, Well you can go on one big vacation for a million dollars. But if I'm going to try and go out on five more and I spend a million dollars each time, somebody's going to run low on their bank account faster than the other person, aren't they? You know, So I don't know, man, You know, I brought that up and it was sort of like shut down everywhere, went and tried to talk about it.
Speaker 1: But well, we're on the same we're basically kind of on the same page or seeing the same thing. And what I was trying to make is a comparison like a stress test.
Speaker 3: You know.
Speaker 1: Even they're saying, hey, all the banking, you know, you know, all the everything was fine, but in reality it wasn't you know this thing. You know, they're begging for that kind of money. And I heard some of the military generals not not the guy who wants to test faster in place therapy actually knows, you know, strategy and war and you know, how are you going to do the long term? We got some serious problems coming up, and I don't think we're in the mood for this. By the way, is when is one of the Trump's going to go fight for war?
Speaker 4: Yeah, good luck on that.
Speaker 1: When are you gonna put Baron in there? He's he's fighting.
Speaker 4: Age, Well, he's fighting age. He's a pretty tall kid. I don't know, you know what, what can you say? I'm always asking when are the people that you know make the decisions about the warfare going to send their own children in? They usually don't, you know. So yeah, but here we go, you know, it becomes it becomes the issue of well, you know, let's just say there is a moral imperative to this. I'm not even assuming that there is, because I don't believe there is. That's my point of view, but I'm not looking to argue it right now. Let's just assume that there is. There is simply a reality here. Like I said, it's mathematics it's a matter of really more than anything, it's you know, it's a matter of geometry, because just exponentially, you cannot do something without end There has to be you know, limitations here, and I mean, if you want to spend for the next twenty years again on another you know, let's call it another war on terror. I don't think it panned out all that well, being in Afghanistan for a couple of decades, you know, I mean, I'm just saying, what did we get back for it. We didn't get back oil, We didn't get back you know, gained significantly in the region. It doesn't seem like and I think this will be even less profitable and maybe more costly, because as we have been talking about this whole show, everything costs more anyway, and the only winners are going to be the people that manufacture this stuff.
Speaker 1: So, yeah, excellon and mobile there. They've made record profits this quarter, of course, they did record profits.
Speaker 4: Yeah. Yeah, because if you believe for a moment, yeah, if you believe for a moment that the oil industry is charging you what they charge you because of the market conditions and it's necessary, you're out of your mind. They are outpacing as per usual, the actual cost of inflation as always, and they're driving inflation, you know, and still maintaining a velocity by which they're still so profitable for their shareholders that they're well ahead of the game. So you know, tell me again how this is supposed to work. And like I said, they're one of the main drivers of the inflation, and still they're beating inflation as far as the money they're taking in. So you mean to tell me they couldn't, you know, somehow reset or tone back some of these profits are making, you know, on the retail end.
Speaker 1: No way.
Speaker 4: And I saw that when you know, when the things happened, when nine to eleven happened, I watched. I watched it occur like in real time, like I said, ninety days before any effect was to be had on the supply, all this stuff jacked up ten cents a day. Ten cents a day doesn't sound like a lot, but ten cents a day for two weeks jacked up the oil price and jacked up the gas price. And you know, this is when we went from a dollar in something or under a dollar for a gallon of gas to now the reality of there's no way it ever goes below two or three dollars. Again, is when that happened, you know, and they did it well ahead of any real world effect on the supply.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I paid three seventy four a gallon to three seventy four. It's crazy.
Speaker 1: You can't you can't find three seventy four in California.
Speaker 4: Yeah, Dan, he's lamping because you're in California.
Speaker 5: Well, hey, would you live in you know, Soviet West? I mean, you guys are the reason that your gas is six and seven dollars a gallon is because of why the crap that you got to deal with? What?
Speaker 1: Why are you the reason why I'm.
Speaker 5: Your regulations for one? What? Seriously the bootique blends in that that they have to run out there, that jack's the cost up because we don't have the facilities. Yeah, I mean, so you look at that, you look at the added taxes. You know, every municipality wants their gas tax, and then you've got your general sales tax and then your state gas tax. I mean, it just it come. It's a compound effect, and it's going to drop it. It's going to knock it up there too, to seven bucks a gallon.
Speaker 1: Yeah, no, there there's a lot of factors. And one of the things is is one of the things in California is we have three major basins and if we didn't have the blended and the commissions controls, it would just go look at the smog in the forties in the early fifties. I mean, oh absolutely, gay words. Yeah, that's the reason why we have it. And some of it and some of it is it's a combination of a lot of things. But you know, compared as far as the taxes that that's not the main issues. The main issues the lens and also too our refining capacity and guess what, supply and demand. The three ways are full, the gas stations are full. I mean that that that's it's it's a lot of different factors.
Speaker 4: Well, here's the thing. Federal law.
Speaker 1: Look, it was so pretty much capitals out here.
Speaker 4: Yeah, but the federal law, if you wanted to, you could go into a regular gas station if they know what they're doing and they have people that you know, actually know how to run a gas station. If it's not fully automated, you can request to see a bill of lading and you can see precisely what the taxes are and everything that are on every gallon of gas, because you know, in New Jersey, as I've stated on this program, you know, thirty two point nine cents was the total per gallon, and that was everything. And that's why you see nine tenths on the signs all over the country. Is because a couple of federal taxes come together and it's like point two and point seven cents or whatever.
Speaker 5: Right, but you take somewhere as big as California and you throw on it. Well, just look at transportation costs from moving gasoline. Okay, it's all handled by unions, which is going to inflate the price. The cost of transportation is up everywhere. That's gonna affect the price. Well, don't you can drive a tractor trader here cheaper than you can drive a tractor trader in California?
Speaker 4: Well maybe, but I don't know what. I don't know what the logistics are for distribution out there either.
Speaker 5: Uh, well, didn't Danny. Didn't they just close down a big refinery or something?
Speaker 1: They actually they closed down to one closed Okay, one was closed down because they actually had a fire. Okay, one was set closed down a long time ago. Another one was the Blair of one and they closed down. But here's the thing they were they were found guilty of twenty years of cheating on the air commissioned so they wanted, you know, to find them and they told, uh, California, you need to pay for the upgrades. And they told them to stick it. And then what they did is they they found that two tax I think two tax gimmicks. They're gonna make more money by writing off the closes down and you know, they know that they're gonna ship it in and we're still gonna buy it at a higher price.
Speaker 5: Well, because you know, just look at the cost of operating the ports to get it in and get it out. You know what those environment Do you have any idea with another There's not gonna be a there's not gonna be a steep decline.
Speaker 1: There's still gonna be profitable and we're gonna pay the price. Right with a multiple thing, I mean, I mean you could you could point one thing, there's four thingers pointing to the other direction. It's not just one simply one thing.
Speaker 4: Well, no, I was gonna and I was going to point out something. If you had something shut down after it was challenged because of like a long period of environmental environmental violations. Let me tell you something, the structure of those violations is so harsh. Uh, Like even running a gas station, just a gas station, you could be fined up to ten thousand dollars a day if you don't have a proper log okay, keeping track up, I get it. Yeah, And that's just to keep track of the amount of gas.
Speaker 5: Not only that, Not only that. Look at the cost of just emissions in California. We went before I divorced, we went and bought a sea do boat, but I bought one with California level emissions because when I got ready to sell it, being able to be used a state of California it's worth more. So sure we bought the one that met the California emissions. It cost me an extra four hundred and fifty dollars for that boat because of the changes that they had to make to meet California admissions. And this is on a three cylinder engine inside of a boat, fuel injected. It's not a small problem. It's mad, you know, a little seade run about. And it cost me an extra four one hundred and fifty bucks just to be able to meet those emissions. So look at what that's costing every vehicle out there, every vehicle, every trolley. What are they getting ready to out aren't they getting ready to put a moratorium on trucks that are of a certain age. They can't operate in California anymore because of a mission.
Speaker 1: Also, there's also been tax incentives to give the operators, like tax break speak.
Speaker 5: Yeah, they're trying to.
Speaker 1: Get rid of older trucks. It's just like the missions that you do even with cars. They're trying to get rid of gross spoiters.
Speaker 3: It gets stricter.
Speaker 4: So anyway, look we're down to the last couple of minutes here, guys. So fortunately I got to sort of end this conversation because Aaron Brawns is ready and waiting in the wings. He's even gone into the Ocelli chat room, which, by the way, we got operating again. If you're hearing us live, or even if not, you can always roll it back. But the Ocelli chat room is again working. I still haven't been able to clear up the code problem for putting it on the website right, but I got it back to working, big old pain in the neck. I redid the code and it works. I don't know why, but it's not working to stick on the website like it should still. But anyway, it is available for everybody to use. So there's a link. If you go to the Listen Live page, you can find it and click on it and go to the chat room. But anyway, so Danny, go ahead and throw us a final word, and I'll try and get back around to Jimmy James and then close this out. Yeah.
Speaker 1: Well, well, thank you for letting me, let me on and chat. And I appreciate EP because you are making good points that there are things to look at why it is hiring California, and but I just you know, just look at the stress test. I think we're under a lot of stress tests, and I think it's really looking in that way what our military is doing and how effect how effective it is, and what these contractors are they really get, you know, they just walking away with money and we're just you know, we're least effective military. I mean, we have the most expensive military. I'm not sure we're getting the bang for the buck that makes sense.
Speaker 4: That's always the big question. Anyway, Danny, thanks a lot for joining us. I appreciate you man, and you know you and I'll probably talk off air again soon, Jimmy James. Okay, Jimmy, I want to give you the final word, so go ahead.
Speaker 9: Well, as far as your two's drone concerns, worry not, my friends. The gifver had these things.
Speaker 3: Figured out forty five forty seven halfen years ago, and while we didn't continue Star Wars and only did the missile part, don't worry. Our allies in Israel have been working on the laser parts and have been quite effective, and they share their technology with us, so it works out pretty nicely. So we could shoot those damn drones like they're nothing, and bless our completely voluntary military force. And may God have mercy on the ten percent of the Iran that actually supports that God forsake of government, because it's highly likely that they are soon to die and they won't be going to heaven to see seventy one virgins.
Speaker 9: They're going straight to hell, Hell.
Speaker 4: Hell.
Speaker 3: But other than that, everyone have a good weekend.
Speaker 9: Other than the Mulas and the Abadullahs.
Speaker 8: And the.
Speaker 9: Soup and swaters.
Speaker 2: There you go.
Speaker 9: It's America.
Speaker 11: There you go.
Speaker 4: Jimmy, appreciate you, thanks for calling in, and nobody can give a final parting word like Jimmy, but I'll give a chance to be Pete to drop the last one here before we're done.
Speaker 5: Well, I just want to thank everybody, Daddy and Jimmy for calling in and you know, looking forward to doing this next week.
Speaker 3: Do what you can to help out your your local food banks.
Speaker 5: People are really starting to feel the squeeze, so do what you can to help them out. Of course, go to a Teli dot com and donate button. And a story that I'm working on. And this one's really got me kind of flummixed because the World Health Organization and I'm gonna be working on this. Maybe I can have some answers on it next week. The World Health Organization has put out a warning because of MERS, which is the Middle East respiratory syndrome coronavirus. It's a form of coronavirus. Here we go, get and yeah, but this one's a little weird, this one. What they're saying is, we know it's tempting, after all, who hasn't gotten the urge to sip a glass of chilled camel urine every now and then. But according to the World Health Organization, it could be deadly serious. They put a warning out on this because of mers and according to this news release, sixty four cases of the disease have been documented in South Korea, including five deaths. South Korea has got some very strict quarantine rules when it comes to animals. There's only forty six captive camels in South Korea