Speaker 1: Welcome to the Marvel Allons Podcast, recover anything and everything to do with the Marvel Universe and the comics, TV and movies. We'll go from first six one six of the Mojo Verse to Queens in order to bring the marvel Us right to you. I'm the Man without.
Speaker 2: Beer, Chris, I'm the Nerve with Mount David.
Speaker 1: Alliance a symbol volume Volume three hundred and seven, and it is here the first movie of the MCU for twenty twenty six, Spider Man, Brand New Day. It has been a long time coming for the next Spider Man movie since No Way Home, and we are excited to break it down. It's a big spoiler cast at that point, and David is channeling his inner beings a Spider that can't I mean it does whatever I Spider can't. I mean I think that's accurate.
Speaker 2: Yeah. No, I don't have the skills of Tom Holland. Uh. And we're concerned. I'm over forty. I'm more of the skills of Toby in the back problems as well.
Speaker 1: David, You're gonna have to carry for just a little bit. So if you want to tell people all the things that a little bit of thing I cant attend to be right.
Speaker 2: Okay, no problems. So normally we recap our week, but we are going to get right into the network. Plugs just can't all right. So we are a part of the Geek golds Alliance. We have six shows covering a wide range of geek and nerd them. To see the full schedule, check out the show notes below and subscribe to the Geek Goltsman Alliance on Twitter at GA podcast so you know when the show shows drop. We also have a Patreon, so if you want to throw a few shekels our way and help support, then go ahead and join us on our Patreon where we have our shows. We can watch this all day. The Marvel Alliance MCU rewatch tells from the House of X, going back over all of the Fox x Men shows. Then we have the bats to Broadcast where we did a rewatch and for some first watch of the Fantastic Four movies. And now we have our newest show, Cape Expectation The Avengers, Earth Mighti's Heroes rewatch and first watch. So every month we'll be giving you our thoughts on about five episodes or so of Earth's Mightiest Heroes. The second episode dropped this week, so again, if you want to take a listen to that, you can join us on our Patreon at www dot patreon dot com for slash Gua Network. And if you can't join us on Patreon, you can still support us by on your podcast are choice giving us a rate or review. It really helps the show out And we would also like to thank our sponsor, which is panel Bound Comics. Panel Bound Comics is the official sponsor of Marvel Alliance. They sell graphic novels, omnibus and collected editions at great discounts on everything in stock and pre orders. You can earn rewards on every purchase that will earn you discounts that you can use on your next order. They ship to the US and internationally and secure packaging to ensure your books arrive undamaged. Go to panel bound Comics dot com and use the promo code Marvel GUA to get two dollars off on every order, or m gua sit to get five percent off when you order four or more books together. Use a referral link list in the show notes below so that they know that you are a Marvel listener.
Speaker 1: All right back accidentally knocked over my Celsius so had to so detailing the chat. How you doing detail? Yeah, we're gonna we're gonna be like less than a minute or two of just non spoilers and then we'll jump right into it. So but uh yeah X men ninety seven great this week. We'll be back next week with that, yep. And uh yeah s except what wonder Man. Yeah, that news was uh was unexpected despite it, so you know, who knows what's gonna happen for the future of that. But yeah, so quickly high level thoughts of Spider Man brand new day. What did you think We'll make it quick because we got a lot of spoilers to break down tonight.
Speaker 2: I will say, out of the four Spider Man movies, this this might be and again this is coming immediately after my second viewing, this might be my favorite of the four. I loved No Way Home, but it was a love because of all the fans service and callbacks. But this just start to finish, was a great movie.
Speaker 1: Yeah. I went in with some high expectations for this, but also leveled expectation just because of you know, where we're at in the universe with Marvel, with Spider Man, with the characters. How is this going to play, especially with all the different uh oh, you know, supporting cast of mc U and it was I was impressed. I was very, very impressed in the fact that you're saying that it may be your new your new number one. That says a lot and I've heard a lot of people and I'm kind of toying with that idea. I still have some still some issues with this and some some questions about some choices that are made, but it is one of those where I really do think we've gotten back to the roots of what makes Spider Man a great character and Peter Parker of who he is and uh that so details asked? And do I need to stay for the post credits? Yeah, there is a post credit sequence.
Speaker 2: Always stay for the post credits.
Speaker 1: There's there's Now do you need to stay? That's a subjective opinion, and I'll just leave it at that. Is it Is it going to be earth shattering?
Speaker 2: No?
Speaker 1: Could you easily look it up on your phone as the first credit roll and get the gist of it if you need to go to the bathroom really quick, yes, detail you can. There is a post credit scene, but that's in the eye of the beholder whether it was really worth it or not. I'll save my thoughts for the end on that one. But that that's that's at least my non spoiler idea to help you out. So all right, so those are our non sport of thoughts. Like I said, we've got a lot to break down tonight, so we're gonna take our first quick ad break. So if you have not seen Spider Man Brand New day and you don't want to be spoiled again, our recommendation very quickly, go see it. It's it's well worth it. Definitely see it in theaters. And but yeah, so as you know, listeners, these ads help keep the lights on in the Geegle to mid Aliance network. We don't get to choose what ads come on, and they could be a bit loud to give it that three count before they come on three two one, we'll be right back, all right, And we are back. So we both got to see this the Wednesday night Amazon Prime early showing. My theater was full. I'm pretty sure your theater was about the same. Yep, yeah, packed house, packed house at that point. So you know, the movie starts off as I said, this is spoiler time we're gonna break it all down. You know, some things will spend a little more time on than others. But but yeah, we're here for it. So Peter's life after the events and No Way Home. We get some very interesting villain montage and some disappointing especially with some of the casting of it. You know, we get him fighting Boomerang Scorpion, who eventually does come back in the film. I think we get Hammerhead Tarantula, a very interesting portrayal hammer and I don't know if it was hammerheard or not, but it was definitely someone with a kind of a metal head slamming himself into it.
Speaker 2: Yeah. I think I saw the the actor post that he was playing a character named Ramrod.
Speaker 1: Okay, that was even even worse name.
Speaker 2: Yes, And I was I was disappointed because I was really excited about Tombstone once that casting was announced, and we did not get much of that as well. So while the montage was cool, I do feel like it Eric could have been a little bit more.
Speaker 1: Yeah. But and then there was like you said, Tombstone, Wow, I mean we we You and I went back and forth on theories for that, and right around when we got through the second trailer. I was like, we haven't featured Tombstone at all. I don't think this is what's going to be anywhere close to an involvement as I was thinking or hoping.
Speaker 2: Yeah, So slight, slight disappointment, but you know, they they used it to set up the fact that, you know, he has been active. There is a four year jump here where it starts off with him, you know, watching a video of them as they're entering college, and then as each year progresses and Ned grows a bad goatee and they get to their senior year. This is showing Spider Man still active. He's still you know, doing his thing. He's also cultivating a relationship with the police, a good relationship with the police, to the fact that him and a Captain de Wolf are cell phone buddies, Like they're at the point where they can call each other and talk about various things. So it does go to show the evolution of Spider Man and that he has been keeping his head down and just focusing on his mission to be Spider.
Speaker 1: Man and especially you know pulling. You know, Captain Gene de Wolf is a character from the comics that Spider Man does have a very good relationship with it. But I was I love the actress who plays her. I think the times that she does come in for you know, interacting either on the phone or face to face with Peter Parker, there's there's good chemistry with that. You could you it is. We're not talking about a romantic chemistry, you know, get your heads out together, everyone, but we're talking about like ones where we can say, like, Okay, you can tell this has been cultivated in the years between No Way Home and this in Brand New Day, Yes, so go ahead.
Speaker 2: That they do a good job with the way that they play back and forth about it, with establishing with very few words, just through their actions and their interactions that they have some sort of established history working together.
Speaker 1: And you know, one of the things I noticed, and you see it at the end of the film, but you see it like throughout the pop the population of New York City is really fully behind Peter Parker, which we really haven't seen in this kind of way, like most of New York is on Peter's side, even when Peter makes a kind of a big screw up that could have gone and could have been like people turning against him. Like through and through most of the New Yorkers are behind Spider.
Speaker 2: Man, which is a big departure from the last film where half of New York was yelling eno, mysterial was right to him and he was getting pelted with paint in the streets.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Who you know, times have change, and no j Jon mc janelson cameo in this. So but you know, we we then get to after kind of establishing Peter and where he is. But one of the thing unch I want to say, and I brought this up jokingly when we saw the trailers and sequences from this. In the trailers, his apartment, even when he goes from one apartment to like the rooftop one like one, how's he affording the apartment space itself? Two? How is he affording this equipment?
Speaker 2: Like?
Speaker 1: It is completely unacknowledged. I know, it's like, why are we focusing on this? Talk about the here So no, no, there's always some explanation of something like, oh, I've got a side job, I've got a side hustle and things like that. There is no acknowledgment of Peter earning anything to to justify this.
Speaker 2: Now now have impersonal appearances or something as Spider Man to make some money on the side, Like what is he doing because in the comic books we at least know like at one point he's taking pictures through the bugle. He's a teacher, Like he has a job. He may not succeed at his job because of his role as Spider Man, but he at least has a job.
Speaker 1: Yeah, but the only thing, the only thing I could come up with maybe is if may had you know, you know, insurance because of her death that but it would have been just a passive mentioning of it. And uh and I know a lot of the big theme for this, and we're going to talk about this is like Peter having absolutely no life outside of Spider Man. Like really he may maybe walking around as Peter Parker, he is not doing anything with Peter Parker, and so Peter Parker is just wait for him to get around and do what he needs to do in order to get back to being Spider Man. I mean, for a crime a lot he has on his phone whenever a crime goes off, he's getting ready to go jump into action. He has no life because he has gotten into his head that if he gets close to anyone he's gonna hurt. That it's gonna lead to hurt or possibly death. So I mean, I get that's the film, but like that's the one thing is like, man, could we have said something about it is an ear shattering No, but it was bothering me at point, especially with the again smart guy, he needs to afford equipment. Anyways, I'll move off of that hill. The tank chase sequence. This is the first major action set piece in the first act of Spider and Brand New Dude, and apparently this was the first sequence filmed for the movie, according to Daniel Destin Creton.
Speaker 2: Yeah, this was the scene that a lot of aerial shots got leaked off, and you know, you saw a lot of the stunt practices for but no, this was a fun scene. I mean it. This definitely reminded me a lot of the Spider Man PlayStation games where at points where he's getting close to the tank, I'm like, just get close enough in press triangle. But some of the maneuvers that he was using to take down the tank reminded me a lot of the chase scenes from the games and how that they would play out. But I think that this was very well shot for live action and then having his Spidy since come on and then we get our first showing of the Punisher pulling up to join the fray.
Speaker 1: Yeah, we saw that this. Basically most of the sequence was shown in the trailers, so nothing new outside of maybe some additional dialogue that was having between both of them. But we get the idea that Spider Man and Frank have had run in in the past, including this. They'll be revisited time and time again that Spider Man saved Frank's life, even though there's no details that are given. It's just one of those kind of you know, movie cliches where you kind of keep on going back to the same thing just to kind of get a haha moment, and you know, he he knows what Frank's gonna do. He's trying to kill what'sever in there. But as we know, Spider Man doesn't kill, at least on purpose, and just takes Frank out of the action and just is go and go home, stay out of this. I got this. This is not your fight. I'm taking care of this. You go do something else. And so you know, eventually he's able. Despite causing massive damage throughout the city, this tank has head into the Department of Damage Control and able and has gone to crash through. There's some maybe it's also the a a prison too where they're heading to. Is this part of damage control? And so scorpions being processed in and you know is basically when Spider Man breaks in to try to see who's exactly in there, it's an older woman and she's kind of smirking, laughing, saying some things that are very strange. And then you see kind of this effect where the woman loses consciousness for like a second and then says what am I doing here? And then another The guard then takes on that personnel and he starts seeing you hear with the sound effects like an entity is jumping from person to person to person and trying to escape in that sense, but it's not the entity it needs to The entity is trying to get to do something in what we later find out is that entity is trying to get to Scorpion.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so this entity jumps from person to person. Now, this is one little nitpicky thing that I have, and it's a movie cliche nitpickiness. When it jumped to the guy in the safety vest and he's running away, why does he stop to look back and smirk before continuing running that is like, hey, Spider Man, it's me. I'm the one who's possessed. I don't know why that annoys me, but it's just such a nitpicky thing that annoys me. But yeah, this interity jumps from person in person till it reaches the top level security guard who tells them to redirect the helicopter that was supposed to be taking Scorpion to his new lock up, the maximum Security and then tells him to go to a different helipad instead. Yeah, that was this was I think this was where I kind of got a little clunky in my opinion. This the you know, trying to under I mean again, we don't understand what this entity is doing and what the idea is he trying to get Scorpion to someplace.
Speaker 1: What we later find out the idea is to take over Scorpion and be and use Scorpion to get to get somewhere. But you know, they are able to escape the guard that was taken over. It's like, I wouldn't do this to you, Spider Man. He's like freaking out saying, I'm really this that wasn't me, and and Spider Man believes me, like I love you Spider, Yeah, I love you too. Go go go away, Go go to the hospital.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: But you know when Captain de Wolf tells him like this is like the third or fourth attack on the D D O C that you know, there's some sort of pattern here where they really can't see it outside of the it's they're being they're being they're being targeted. And so Peter says, well, I'm gonna go talk to someone who might have some insight into this, and he goes to this kind of weird CD place We're not sure what it is, and it turns out to be some sort of like sauna house. And who is gaking a dip? That she that is that is Peter's contact.
Speaker 2: Uh, so we we we get uh Elena, which was a huge shock to all of us, like that. There are other parts that were spoiled, you know, through trailers and other things. This one caught me complete surprise out there when I was able to avoid it, I was luckily able to avoid it. And so when he walked into the bathouse and it's Ilena, I popped in my seat, uh each time. And she is just again she's full of Jolena. So she goes to ask her for her help and her thoughts on things, and she looks at him and says, you know what, this seems very small potatoes. And you guys handle the small potatoes. I'm on the New Avengers and we handle the big potato stuff. So this is you. You got this?
Speaker 1: And yeah, yeah, she gives like little hints of things, like things that just find out I will say this that I understand, like Yolena has a kind of a gimmick and a feeling of certain things. But this, this did not. This was one of my least favorite sequences here outside of the uh, you know, just her banter back and forth. The joke stopped being funny when she kept on saying the small potatoes. And he's like like, okay, we get you know. And Lena grew a lot in Thunderbolts, like this is back to Elena Black widow ish, like even.
Speaker 2: This is Hawkeye Elena.
Speaker 1: Yeah yeah, but even Hawkeye Elena was more more Quippi to a smarter level than this.
Speaker 2: Which they do make a reference to Hawkeye Jolena later on in this movie. I caught it all my second viewing.
Speaker 1: Yeah, so you know, I know what they were trying to do. But this seemed like if we're going to bring in someone like Elena or to have like a true cameo, because she only makes it, like you said, in one more of their appearance in this, let's make it worth it. Like they could have done something a little more different than this. Okay, get her in the bath house everyone likes. See. I mean, I'm a pew boy too, But this just this seemed very cheap. And this is this is one I was like, really, Daniel, Daniel Christen, I get been a better out of you when it comes to kind of a sequence like this, Like it didn't like take the whole movie down for me, but it was just like, eh, we could have done better, and if we were gonna do something like this, I expected better.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: So but he gets a little bit of information, you know, and you know, we have the laughs and the jokes between like Peter not wanting to take off his mask and as he though you watching not watching live, David is still having the Spider Man mask on. He's gonna go as long as he can. We'll see how long we can make it. But so you know, again trying to get Peter to take off the mask and he's just skipped this, you know, getting down to everything but his mask, leaving it on. So we see how jacked Tom Holland is at that point. But he's like, yeah, okay, I'm gonna take that information. I'm gonna go to the Department of Damage Control headquarters, and this is where we meet William Metzger. William Metzger is played by Osteos actor Tremmell Tillman, who is big from What's What's Severe? I don't watch.
Speaker 2: Yes, he's in severance. He was played a naval captain in the Last Mission Impossible movie, so yes, he's a very.
Speaker 1: Good actors Impossible, so.
Speaker 2: Yes, so he he he plays this role very well. I didn't like when Peter enters Damage Control, they have him go through the scanner and it reads, you know, his heightened senses, his heightened abilities and strength, his DNA that's mixed with the IRAQ DNA, and then they're wanting him to take off his mask. He's like, I can't do that. I have a secret identity and they threaten to shoot him until Traumuell's character comes in and says that hey, he's he's cool. We're gonna go have this meeting, they go up, they talk, and that's when Spidy's trying to figure out what is what's the deal here?
Speaker 1: Yeah, and you know, they it seems to be that he and Metzger have a pretty good relationship or some sort of like het Metzger puts it puts a lot of trust into him, and he even mentions as they're walking through that, you know, one of the things we saw in the fighting sequence is that Spider Man took down the hand and now they're he said like, oh, he was wondering why they didn't walk around free. It's like, oh, I find ways to you know, yes, they may have been wayward, but I found ways to convert them, and so I'm going to use use them to help our help our cause. So why not let him see the light? I was like, Okay, I mean I get that, but already I was like saying, I still don't trust this guy, especially what it can turn to. And yeah, Metzger about this whole idea of what Vmax is, because that's what apparently this entity is searching for, and you know, has no idea of what this is. And you know, there's this very all very interesting, like safe right outside his office as being guarded. It's it's really weird, and it's just like, okay, this is definitely kind of you know again cliche foreshadowing was like, okay, we're going to come back here.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that was huge foreshadowing. The lingering passing shot of Spidey walking in front of this giant vault that's outside of Messager's office.
Speaker 1: Yep, and so they as easily you know, we we flash to you know him and then he sees he's at the what is it the convenience store of bodega and yeah, he's.
Speaker 2: He's at his local bodega that he goes to every week in order to pick up fresh flowers for Aunt May's grave. And while he's there, he's got his flowers, he's having a little bike.
Speaker 1: To eat for this sorry, paying for this.
Speaker 2: In walks ned to pick up too many kegs for their party and to attempt badly to flirt with the ladys encounter of the bodega and get two shots of energy drinks.
Speaker 1: Yeah exactly what was it? All sounds like it's like a drug or something for him. Yeah, but yeah, he follows him and it's to their I guess the apartment that he and MJ share and you know, he wanders through carrying the flowers, being all creepy and looks at the wall that apparently is Ned trying to figure out who Spider Man is. And that's where Ned comes out, Oh, you're admiring my wall. This is how I think it is. And it's like the teacher and Flash Thompson are his two most likely suspects for it is. And it's just like a you're not you're not anywhere close. But he has a good conversation with m J. And it's a good awkward conversation. And you know, it's odd that I brought it to Flowers and no but a friendly neighbor because he's saying like he's a neighbor that lives lives around them, and you know, we meet, you know, he sees her with our new boyfriend, who is you know, Oh yeah, Ammon as Fondi, who plays Edge of Bridger in both the voice and live action. That's about all we really see of him, Like, we don't see him much more.
Speaker 2: If I thought that he was going to be a bigger part of this, and.
Speaker 1: He basically became just like seeing scen Hery at that point, say you want to be in a spider movie. Yeah, sure, why not? But when he sees that her what basically tad like looks like she's moving on, she's really forgotten about me, can't hand handle it. He leaves, runs off back to his place. He starts having starts seeing he's like that going through like basically looks like a panic attack. He falls down, blacks out, and wakes up in a cocoon of webs, and you know this is we haven't gotten to this in the compook club with the other but there is a sequence where he does cocoon himself, but as he falls out, he realizes he has an organic webbing and he's got no other clothes on but his but his underwear, and so as he falls down, webs himself up and gets out of there, gives back up to an awkward laundry room and elevator sequence where he's wearing women's clothing. But you know, to each their own, that's what you could get.
Speaker 2: So I thought the cocoon scene, what was pretty cool that it did lean a little heavy on this cgr for me, But I mean, what can you do with the scene of him falling out of the cocoon and hitting off the railing. But yeah, now he's realizing something is going on with him. He goes back up and he's trying to check himself with EV his AI system that he's using, and it's sensing the high IRAQ levels also since in his high stress levels and things like that. He tries to put his webshooters back on and the organic webs kick it right back off, to which EV says, Yeah, you can't do both at the same time.
Speaker 1: Yeah, which makes sense to me. You can't. If you're trying to do the organic webshooters are gonna be more powerful. But at that point he gets a tip that the A Do doc siety is being attacked by scorpion, so he tries to swing in the action. He's not doing too well without he has doesn't really understand how to control his organic webbing. Ye, I did like go ahead.
Speaker 2: I did like the line when he's really he's trying to get the organic webbing to work, and he says, I, I know this can work. Peter two had it and he was cool, so this should work.
Speaker 1: You get references to the other Peters at that point, but yeah, it works for Peter two. And he's pretty cool. Yeah, that's how that works. But when he gets into action, he starts fighting Scorpion, and he realizes this isn't Scorpion, this is again the entity that has taken over, and you know, the entity makes reference to when they first met, like he the entity can't get into his mind and he also Scorpions last. The entity calls him out saying, you still can't sense me, like in the sense of like his It's somehow the entity has been able to disrupt his spider sense, so he's not as much. He can anticipate things, but not to the extent that he used to. But he gets so frustrated with it that basically his racknid you know, ability to start really taking over. He goes to Black Eyes and he just goes as we're saying, Reddy Blake, he goes Cape mode and just goes and let's cuts loose, you know, takes down Scorpion really fast, but inadvertently uh us you know, Dingers a police officer that's in the car that he uses as a weapon and really injures it, which you know, once he takes down Scorpion, he comes out of it. He's like, oh my God, what did I do? And Captain Wolf there said you need to go now because if this were to happen again, I can't protect you anymore. He says, I believe you that I know is an accident, but if you you got to get out of here. And this is where I was wondering, like and not. You know again, he's brought a lot of good will for all these years, but you know again, New Yorkers are a fickleed beast. People are fickle beasts when it comes to supers. I'm really surprised that that didn't That was all we got of like his consequences from that, Like we get it with an accident, but like there was no more public There was not even an ounce of public.
Speaker 2: Backlash, especially since the people standing around during this moment record that there were witnesses. So I was shocked that that wasn't more of a big deal, or that the cops who were there, yes, they were there to arrest Scorpion, but that some of them didn't keep their guns trained on the spider Man as well.
Speaker 1: So but he he he let he venture he escapes at that point, goes off and say escape, but he eventually get takes the Wolf's advice and leaves and uh, that's where we'll close out the first act. So we'll take our next ad break before we head into act two. And Listener's these ads help keep the lights on a Gee Cultimate Alliance network. We don't get to choose what ads come on, and they could be a bit loud to give you that three count before they come on three two one, we'll be right back, and we are back and the mask has come off. Oh my god, it's David shucker Pun intended. Well, when when they were going through We've got to mention when they were going through the Department of Damage Control headquarters, we did see them experimenting and looking at you know, shockers, shockers, and you know, Metico is making points say well, you know, we need to use these weapons for our best sake and turn them to the good guys. That way we can fight the bad guys, which again makes sense.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it makes sense, but never in comic book, Lord never works out in their favor.
Speaker 1: Yep. So all right, why don't you lead us off for how we entered it back too?
Speaker 2: All right, So we've got Peter arriving at Empire State University and he arrives to the lecture of doctor Bruce Banner, so he goes up to him after his lecture, and he asked him about his unit that he has on his hand that is made to suppress the Hulk. And at this point, Spider Man is showing that he is a true scientist through and through, like he completely understands everything that's going on, how it's suppressing the genome and how and at which stage is doing it. And Banner's very much impressed. So he's continuing to have this conversation with him as Peter's asking him, theoretically, could you do that with someone else? Could you do that with with a different genome, with a different trait that has been taken over from there? And they start talking about this possibility of a universal inhibitor, to which Banner says that, you know, while theoretically it's possible having a universal inhibitor that can take away any powers, does tow a moral line and gives Peter something to think about.
Speaker 1: Yeah, especially when going back to when he's doing the lecture, you see some guy dressed up as the Hulk, and you see that Banner has to do with this whole idea of like Okay, we get to ask one or two Avengers questions at this point and have fun to appease the masses. So he's dealing with this. But but like you even proposed this idea, I believe in fact or fiction that you know, these this idea of an inhibitor that even before we knew, you know, Spider Man was going to develop like the you know, he calls it out on the trail like that, you know, see me without this, you know, go running? You know this The the amount of time they spent on this idea of the inhibitor and the universal inhibitor, and like the whole point of getting it on eventually on this entity. You know, there is that. But you know, before that I forgot to mention when oh, never mind, I'm getting ahead of myself. I was saying, what a minute, Oh, we're not there yet. This whole idea of suppressing powers sometimes permanently with the device on. It's like saying, oh, we're going for the mutant inhibitor collars, which I'll say this, I was waiting for the d dooc to kind of take when he does develop this later onto the film, and then it gets damaged suff like that I expected someone to like just pick it up and use it. So I think there was no hints towards that we know it's coming. But I was really surprised they squandered that opportunity to have someone like kind of take that, saying hmm, we saw was trying to do.
Speaker 2: Because it was in their possession at one point. And again we'll get to that later. I am surprised that we did not hear some characters say, hey take this and study it, or hey take this and reverse engineering.
Speaker 1: Just send Osborne. I hear he's a really good scientist. Yeah, but yeah, so he puts that idea of what he needs to do, and you know, Banner makes you know, one of my students, are you I never get old. So Peter does try to create his own inhibitor Trip not much says during the test runs, they they they last, They work for a little bit, and then the IRAQ and the DNA RNA overpowers them and he eventually, you know, it breaks down in the streets and then he sees this random person come up to him and you know, it has that kind of cadence saying, eh, you know, see you're uh, you're trying to still find me a Spider Man and you have, and the entity basically starts dropping some hints at it knows more about who he is and knows who he is, and that they know a lot more in the fact that the person who is the entity is in his apartment and calls out that saying, Hey, you know, maybe I should pay MJ a visit and that's better not and uh, Spider Man is gonna go play a race with this entity, and yeah, tell us about like this, this race to uh beat the entity to MJ.
Speaker 2: Yeah. So, so the is in his apartment, it's reading the note and at that point says it's going after MJ. And it starts bouncing from person to person with no care or regard for the people's lives that it is bouncing into, which is going to lead me to a theory that I have a little bit later. But Peter starts chasing it, and he's asking EV to track the movements of the people that it's being jumped into, so he's falling the jumps along, crashes a wedding reception that this entity has jumped into as well, and then tracks it all the way to a guy going up in a helicopter that Peter then stops and he says, hey, I figured it out. You can only jump up to thirty three feet. I've got you up here. There's no one else around. I like to see you get MJ. Now to that point, A don't trash talk the person and be my my theory, I can't prove it, but my theory is that with the way that this entity disregarded life earlier, I think that the helicopter pilot jumped and then this entity jumped into somebody else before it hit the ground.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, I could. I could easily see that as well. So didn't see a body, didn't see a person after Nobody cares at that point. So Peter does make it to MJ's apartment and just kind of like panic. He's saying, I know you don't know who I am, but you know I'm Spider Man. Someone's trying to go after you. I need you need to come with me in order to be safe, and I just needed to trust me. And she's like okay, and you know, we get a nice little you know, swinging sequence, and you know she's scared, but he's like, no, I'm not gonna drop you. And then he feels. He gets to a point where he said, are I'm gonna sit down here? And m J just kind of just kind of goes after him and just saying like, you know, what can why can't you tell me what's going on? And then she says, you know, I just have this feeling like I know you, Like you're someone I know, like every you know, I know Spider Man was there, you know in Washington, d C. Who's there in my you know, the whole night Monkey episode and things like that, Like I have a feeling like I know who you are.
Speaker 2: It's like once or twice is a coincidence, but it's been more than that.
Speaker 1: Yeah. And so they get close and she kind of pulls up the mess and goes in for a kiss and they make out for a little bit and then she says Peter and he's like, oh my god, you know, I.
Speaker 2: Can't believe you know, I've missed you so much.
Speaker 1: And at that moment, even in the theater, I was like, this isn't it. This is the entity, this is too, this is too even though I wanted to happen like I want it to happen, it's like, Nah, this isn't the way it's going and something's up here, and even Peter realizes when it Memjay starts saying certain things like how dare you do this? Like how absolutely dare you you know, take this and do this to her? And the entity just kind of grews around with it and then causes them Jay to jump off the roof and Peter has to go after and luckily saves her before she crashed into the pavement. And then a man comes up to Peter and kind of says, exactly what's what's kind of going on? And you know, he you know, we get our first look at Sadie Sink as the one controlling this entity.
Speaker 2: You know, yeah, I didn't like the fact that once he saved m J, you know, from the roof and they're lighting and the man walks up, he's like, you know, I'm done, I'm done. Stop whatever. I will leave you alone. Just leave m J alone like that. That's you know, his love for her just shining through that. He's like, I will do whatever.
Speaker 1: Yeah, So Peter says he's going to take it to another safe place. Well before he leaves, like the man through whoever this person's controlling entity, says like you're trusting the Department of Defense. Department's gonna Department of Damage Control.
Speaker 2: And.
Speaker 1: They're not the good guys, like you see what they're doing, and they're not the good guys.
Speaker 2: Still looking for this this VMAX and you know it, Like I said, it was the scene between this guy talking through this Entities character, through Sadie Singh's character that we still don't fully know the name of yet and yes it is coming. So unless you are Stephen Lacy on a red carpet, you know, it was still a cigaret for the rest of us.
Speaker 1: I never watched that thing.
Speaker 2: I saw I did I did not, thankfully I did not. You know, again, we we all had our theories, but for someone to just outright spoillet like that, but you know, it was the cool scene. And then of course Spidery's his mass ev is, you know, cross checking who this person is and and trying to figure out what's going on.
Speaker 1: Yeah, so it's again it's the warning of it. And I know I've been I've been saying the acronym RUNG, I'm saying Department of Damage Group, but I've been saying the AFROC is d O d C, not d DO O c So it takes her to another safe place, and the safe place has a lot of booby traps on it and ends up being where Frank is hiding out at least one of his hiding spots on the in the shipyard. And you know, they had this again, this back and forth. They bring up Staten Island again, and again it's kind of like I think about the Ulaana thing. This is kind of where should have died, the whole Staten Island kind of thing, like I could I could say one more time when at the end I could, I could be okay with it. But this is like, okay, this is where the quick pess doesn't do it for me. It's it's more grown worthy for me. Yeah.
Speaker 2: So when they when they started the little back and forth, I was like okay. And then they kept going and then you have MJ just standing there awkwardly as this mass of age Lante and then this grown ass man with a rifle who just tried to kill them with booby traps are sitting here arguing about Staten Island.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's you know, like I said, I get it. You know, we're a little more overcritical sometimes of it. But it's just like, yah, you know again, it's okay.
Speaker 2: You know we still now for the next special presentation. I need to know what happened on Staten Island.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I don't think it'll be more of like what happened in Budapest, you know. Yeah, so they do. He takes them in and you know, Peter's got to figure out, like, well, how to solve this. The inhibitor why keeps on shorting out? But he's like, I gotta go this, this and this, and he said, what do you need to listen all the parts that I got it? I got it? I got it. It's like, how do you have this and jump without missing? And they doesn't miss bee sake, Well he feels bombs and she's like He's like, yeah, she got it. So yeah, so and this is a great you know, you know, we I referenced a lot of times a an episode of Marvel Lines and Brent and I did once like our top ten uh favorite non action sequences of MC of the MC, whether it be streaming or that, and this definitely could make either one of them, like her hit the conversation with m J and the conversation with Frank, but the conversation with m J is really interesting just because of like he's behind a curtain, unmasked, and she's not looking. I new, we know she wants to, but like they just had this conversation about this.
Speaker 2: Is sheer curtain. It's not like this was like heavy blackouts. This is a sheer curtain.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's not gonna take much, but you know, having this conversation about who he is, you know, what does he what does he do outside of this? And like it faces again in a mission like he has no life, Like he there is no Missus Spider Man, there's no anything for him. But and then he kind of tries to push back a little bit on hers, like you have a boyfriend, this, that and the other, and we kind of seem like, yeah, she's not really as into him as Peter thinks he she is. And it's MJ. Fitzs out with her biomedical and engineering knowledge that it's Peter's goggles that are too close to the inhibitor that are causing it issues, and after fixing it, she points out that the tech he's working on is enough to control the monster and that Peter doesn't seem to uh like like like the one to her, you know, yeah, so, but yeah, what did you think of that whole discussion?
Speaker 2: So I liked everything from the moment that MJ walked into Frank's house, through their whole discussion about whether him being a monster, everything that Zindeia was doing in that moment, her back and forth with Frank to start where he's like, I got my one rule, don't touch my shit, don't move anything, don't do this, and she goes, yeah, that's three rules and they're little. Both of those two cynics having their moment was good, and in her conversation with him where she sheds the light that you know, her and her boyfriend aren't as close and loving as Peter assumed from them that glimpse that he saw them together. And then she gets her chance to really show off like ned's been the guy in chair. Peter has shown off his stuff. Now we get to see what led MJ into mit like she she is smart in her own right, and she is constantly proving her prowess in this and her figuring out, you know, the thing about the goggles and them having that moment there in the conversation she has about his DNA and how it's evolving and mutating and it being something and him saying that, hey, if you've seen how I've been over the last couple of days, you would think that I'm a monster. And she's like, well, i've seen you over the last couple of hours, and you don't seem like a monster me. You just seem like a man who's changing.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and uh that eventually leads to uh, you know. The next day, Frank comes in and he says, us, you can't sleep tune and he's like no, but you know, makes coffee and he drinks it with his mask on, you know, up, you know, pulls up his mask so we can drink, and Frank just laughs out of saying you know what's going on? You know you can't really that's the whole point of secret to day Frank can't be me, I can't be you, and things like that, but you know, I wish I could be you and.
Speaker 2: Great Frank moment.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah no, and he's like, no, I don't want you don't want to be me? Does this look like they want to leave?
Speaker 2: This isn't a gift. This is a sentence.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that was a great quote, like, this isn't a gift, This is a sentence. You know. He He's like, you have an opportunity, you know, to get this girl like you, I'm not an idiot. I know that you have a thing for this girl and it goes just just beyond infatuation or anything like that. Like I am not what anyone should highlizs to be. We'vehouden Frank say that over and over again, and I don't think with this, like in this whole portrayal of Frank, like he's showing Peter like Peter is basically one or two steps away from becoming Frank because all his all his life right now is Spider Man. All Frank knows how to do is be the punisher, like he doesn't know how to be anything else, and he knows he's he's damned and that's why he is. His value for his own life, he has no value for his life. He'll value saving others, but he's alone. He has no real friends or ones that he considers to be friends. And he's basically warning Peter was like, dude, you know, don't don't do this. So yeah, but he's talked about the inhibitories created that would kill you know, we get like you said, you know this is Jean Gray. When they find out who who this person is, you know, it was it's been out there for a while, it was out there when she was first cast. And you know what, it didn't really ruin anything for me. One could say it was anticon bacted, but like hearing Jean Gray being in this is just like it was more like, okay, we're doing this, like it just makes it more real. So it wasn't necessarily anything was ruined. It's just like it's finally happened. We're heading to the X Men. You know, it felt it just felt like one of those this is happening, not like so crazy the office is happening, but like, okay, we're doing this.
Speaker 2: As this started to really come to fruish and and I thought more and more, okay that this is seeming like a lot to be Jean Gray, but everyone was still playing about it and everything else. I was like, all right, is this gonna be like Batman Arkham Night, where it's it's not Jason does not Jason, Ed's Jason Todd. But the way that they did this where it's y it's Jing Gray, but it's it's Jean Gray, and we're we're giving you the first stepping stones to the future here, and and that makes me excited that this is the first stepping stones towards the future.
Speaker 1: Yeah. So Peter heads out and you know, swinging and act when he hears there's attack on the Department of Damage Controls headquarters. And as he heads out, m J comes in and says, do you gotta go help him? And he's like yah like that, and she's like, well, what about Staten Island.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so he doesn't need my help. It's like, just like you didn't need his help on Staten Island.
Speaker 1: Yep, exactly. So we get this big the next major action sequence with this attack, you know, Gene has broken into Damage Control and was looking for Vmax on the computer. Now Bill Metzger and his staff are hiding in the room with the big protected vault that Peter pointed out earlier. Now again, is that all this was was a panic room.
Speaker 2: Yeah. It looked like old computers and some files and that canister with the triquilizer. Now I'm like, this is what you're protecting, this huge giant vault.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I don't know it. It was like okay, but we.
Speaker 2: Hear the beating on the vault. As you know, she's saying like, hey, the doors may hold up, but the walls won't.
Speaker 1: Yeah, And he keeps hearing this beating as Peter's walking in hearing it thunder, and it's just like, oh, yeah, she's she's got someone pretty strong doing this, and she's got none other than she's controlling Bruce Banner in this case, controlling him as smart hole.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: And eventually he turns into Savage Hulk, and Peter and Savage oakle at it inside the headquarters until Frank comes in and fires. Basically, this is basically pouring bullets into into Hulk and having absolutely no effect.
Speaker 2: We get the Frank Castle scream as she the first time. Me and Brenn are sitting there and he does he's shooting. We are just both like Chancy, like yes, yes, you can't.
Speaker 1: Protect women green.
Speaker 2: It's like, oh, we're getting some classic And so it was a fun, fun fight. It's it's not I know, I saw some people saying it's the best fight of the movie. I did not think it's the best fight of the movie. I think the best by the movie comes later. But it was a fun fight between Spider Man, the Hulk, and Punisher.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's just cool seeing it. But you can see like Frank and I'm kind of with it this this came off. I laughed. I didn't see it when it came out when they officially released it this past week that the sequence for Frank like kind of looks scared. It was like, and I saw there, I kind of I definitely laughed audibly because like, that's not Frank. Frank would Frank would more get angry at that point. Frank would scream like he's scared. But whatever that. You know. Then eventually the entity takes control of the Punisher, but because Savage Hulk has gone, you know, Savage Ulk, she didn't need to control him now to keep Peter occupied, and they eventually find out that the building he I mean again, that's what Daniel did. Daniel Critin does so well, is these action sequences and the choreography with them and even doing fighting within the air looks so good at certain points and other points like yeah, ceg's a little rough, but like the sequencing, the choreography, it looks really strong. But at one point, you know, we see when Sabato completely overpowers Spider Man, he pleads him saying it's me, Peter, And at that point Hulk seems to have a glimmer of recognition and stops his attack. Now Spider Man's trying to get the inhibitor on Hulk. He can't do it. Hulk's skin is just impenetrable, so he's unable to do it. But that moment, like he says, it's me, it's Peter. This is like, this is where he's saying, is it basically just Peter? In order to break this bell just has to say who he is around those who did know him, you know, because in the comics there was a whole thing where Peter's people had, you know, forgotten who Spider Man was and when, And we had talked about this too, was that what if Bruce doesn't remember who Peter is, but Hulk does, because in the comics, Hulk acknowledges Peter, and Peter's like, how do you know who I am? When I'm Spider Man? He's like, Hulks, you know, Hulk's really smart, banner stupid, you know, So it's a cool winking it not to those of the comics that know, like Hulk remembers, but the fact that him just acknowledging, Hey, I'm Peter. Is that really how he breaks out? We're gonna revisit that at the end of this movie. Yeah, so, but yeah, to continue on with the what's going on as Punisher is trying to break into this vault?
Speaker 2: All right, So Punisher, he's he's lining up.
Speaker 1: His let me tell you some red, Let me tell you Jean.
Speaker 2: He's line up is explosive, you know. They they they blow open the door and Jean Gray walks in there with with Punisher and she threatens him like, hey, you know you guys resist Punisher's gonna put a hole in your face and wants to know, like what, like, you know what I want? You know why I'm here? You know, just get me what I want. And at that point and yelling you know where she at that point.
Speaker 1: I'm sorry, I'm laughing right now because I remember where I was when I was in the theater last night. It was It's like, I want this to give me one a while. I get that, see the batista.
Speaker 2: Give me what I want.
Speaker 1: You know what I want? Give it to me, Hunter, give it to me, give me what I want.
Speaker 2: I thought the same thing as well. I'm like, no, one's gonna get this a wrestling reference. But yes, that's exactly what I what I thought about calling back to WrestleMania thirty times like that's but so at this point, Spidey swoops in and attaches the Universal Inhibitor to the back of her neck and shoots the gun out of Punisher's hands, and so she once her powers are down, Bill shoots her with a tranquilizer. She starts to pass out. Spidy catches her. As she's passing out. She looks at him and just says the name Sarah and punish her clicks back, you know, back reality, like says you know, al has been with everyone else who's jumped. He's like, oh, all right, something's going on, and he's like, is that my gun that's webbed to the wall. So they carry Jeane out of there, the Department of Damage Control Shaser in her possession. They're saying that they're going to take her somewhere safe so that she can get help and they can ask their questions. Spidey says he's got some questions for her as well. Bill says, yet, let's not push her too hard too soon, and then Spuddy asks Billy goes hey, you know, as she's going down, she said the name Sarah. Does that ring a bell? And Bill responds and says that when Jane first broke into the vault for a split second, he hopped into her mind and saw the image of an old coworker of his who recently passed, and he must have been thinking about her. And then that's why Gene has that name. And before sending Gene on her way and Peter.
Speaker 1: On his so and that is where we close out heck too. So you know, I definitely enjoyed, you know, the build up of like you know, Act one kind of set the table, but like ACTU really stepped it up in the action and kind of moving this step forward about where we're going and starts kind of really tackling the themes of what's going on in that. You know, Gene is truly not a villain in this movie. She she is an antagonist because she's looking for answers, and yes, we don't like her methods, but she's kind of like Frank in the sense of I'm gonna do whatever I need to do in order to get answers, and in this case, avenging my avenging my my sister yeah, you know, oh eventually find out sister so but anyways, we're gonna take our next ad break before we head into the final act of Spider and Brand New Day. So listeners, these ads help keep the lights on the gig Ultimate Alliance Network. We don't get to choose what ads come on. It could be a bit loud to give that three count before they come on. Three two one. We'll be right back and we are back, all right. So we are back at Frank's hiding spot, his little heighty hole, and MJ standing in the kitchen with the letter that Peter wrote to her four years prior, and she demands an explanation and finds it unfair that he would do that to her, like hide it from her, you know. He explains that after the Green Goblin killed Aunt May, he couldn't let anything bad happen to MJ. And Peter tells her that he still loves her and that he never stopped, but MJ tells him that doctor Strean spell might have really must have worked because she doesn't love him and doesn't even really know who he is. Basically tells him the kiss we had, I feel nothing, you know, gut.
Speaker 2: Punch, just straight gut punched Appeter, and then it gets worse because she walks out on him and then turns run and immediately comes back and goes, yeah, so I don't have a cell phone or anything else, so could you take me home? And he's like, uh, yes, sure, so he leans down, picks his mask up off the floor, and just has to swing her back home as disheveled as he is.
Speaker 1: Yep. So he takes her home and Peter and he's still in Spider Man costume. MJ and Net all hang out for the first time in the years, and when they have a second alone, Peter apologize for kissing MJ while Jean Gray was controlling her, but MJ says she doesn't remember anything, which is big key because that keeps how Spider Man. It's like, wait a minute, that means Bill lied about Sarah, and because he shouldn't remember anything like that, you know. So he uses nets computer to call up Elena, who is able to figure out that Sarah is Jeane's kidnapped sister. So go on, you had something you wanted to say, particularly about this sequence.
Speaker 2: Yes, Jolena's screen name is Macaroni fiend I noticed that on the second viewing her that her screen name is Macaroni Fen So shout out to those who've seen Hawkey, you will get the reference.
Speaker 1: But yes, why do you only have one spoon? That's so sad. So, realizing he's been wrong about Geane the entire time, he decides to go to Roosevelt Island, where she's being held by Bill and the d O d C. Now Roosevelt Island, David, do you know why Roosevelt is another big easter egg in Marvel film history.
Speaker 2: I'm trying to think Roosevelt Island is where the skytram is, right that green Goblin through in the movies, MJ. But in the comic books Gwen Stacey off.
Speaker 1: Of Yeah, yeah, that's where ye you said for Spider removed during during the battle of Final Battle with Green Goblins. Yeah, so yeah, there's a there's a tip of the hat to that as well. So we go inside save the children or save the girl exactly. And so we go inside the memory to when Sarah was being captured by UH by Bill and shortly after their mother abandons the sisters for being mutants. Bill tells Jane that she and Sarah had the power that could help a lot of people if placed in the right hand, and that it's essentially uh, not fair for a child to possess these powers. Before he goes to Gene, Frank Warren, so, yeah, before I get into that, like, so Bill trying to you know, again, use people for ulterior motives and again anything, we're using it for the good people. You know, you can't exist without us. It's just like, yeah, you are the real villains of this one.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so they exposed that, yes, this is not you know, a break from all the other movies where the do O DC was you know, antagonists and now all of a sudden they're good. Nope, they're still bad. They are still bad people.
Speaker 1: Yep. And so Bill tells Gene that she and Sarah have the power to help a lot of people. And but it's just when he says that, I want to revisit that just saying like this is this is the beginning of the problem. Like they don't he doesn't believe like, oh, the a child should be a possess these powers. I should be able to control it or utilize it or extract it. It's just like, yeah, you're what's the beginning of the problem for the mutants at this point and just in general powered individuals. But before he goes to Gene, Frank Warren Spiderman about setting her free and plans to come and are to a system, Bill begins torturing Gene by way of tracking all of her jump patterns and seeing how many she can attempt in a certain amount of time. When Jeane looks up from the ceiling, she sees a vmax label on the vent, which really reads vent max vmax is the last thing Sarah is sent to Gene telepathically before she died, and so it's been absolutely nothing. It was just her last memory to try to tell Jane where she was. Yeah.
Speaker 2: So, and you know when she has that revelation as they're experimenting on her and trying to push her jump capabilities, and she looks up and sees that she just is overcome. Absolutely power surges just it unlocks more potential in her to where she just she says, you're a murderer. I know what you did. This is the room my sister died, and none of you are going anywhere as she sends out this massive burst of her that freezes everything in a radius of Roosevelt Island. Like you see people just stop in their tracks. They are just frozen. They are still conscious, they are still aware because we see Ned and MJ who are looking scared as they are frozen in their tracks. But everyone is just held on by this shockwave that Jane has sent out when she is full of these emotions.
Speaker 1: Yep. And so when Peter arrives, she freezes the Hand to make them fight Peter. And during the fight, Peter is wearing his inhibitor and is therefore using his homemade webshooters. As it turns out, the weapons that the Hand are using are based on Shakers arm technology, which we're designed to specifically to destroy Peter's artificial webbing. So when Peter's losing the fight, losing it badly, Gene's taunting him. He unmasks himself and cost up blood and revealing his black eyes. She can tells Spider Man that Sarah died in room because she was special. She said, we don't get to have a normal life, no friends or family. Those people are gone. That life is over. And she then asked Peter be honest with hilf are you Are you Peter Parker or Spider Man, and then Peter Snapediz and said I'm both got the fight. Yeah, then throwing hands.
Speaker 2: Yeah. The fight with him in the hand is probably my favorite from start to finish. The before I'll call it the before awakening and the after awakening aspects, both of them, all of it combined is cool because the hand they're they are moving in sequence to the part where they do that maneuver where they kind of like jump on each other's backs to get the high ground and stab down on him, and even though he's in danger, she's like, that is so incredibly cool. It's just the way that they were moving and sinking. Yet between the hand and the people who were in the Department of Damage Control, they have these specialized weapons that are made to disintegrate the webbing of Spider Man so he can't use it. And Jean's even taunting him with that, like, oh, you you thought these people on your site they've been organizing and preparing for any time that you were ever to get out of line.
Speaker 1: Yeah, And and that's what they're that's what they're really Damaged control is there for not just they're taking the criminals, the superpowered criminals, but just in case they're the ones, uh, you know punter non intended like going rogue, you know. So. But Peter does defeat the hands, but he pleades Gene not to kill Bill as it won't make it right or bring Sarah back as he breaks in and sees her basically like like ten glass yards surrounding his his head, and she trasts Peter, you know, in that weird frozen power aura and she allows him to enter his mind like for the first time. And Jane walks into the memory of Aunt May sitting down to the bed next to her, which is what we kind of seen small sequences of, and you know, Marissa Tomey returning for new sequences. You know, I did have that my big old card for this movie. And she said to says to Gene, because you're special, people can do dark, monstrous things to you. We love you not because you're special, but because of who you are, you know, May and Jean hug and Peter sits down into the bed next to Gene, saying, I'm sorry about your sister. Just because we lost someone doesn't mean we have to do this alone. And she says, I have no one, and Peter says, you have me and you know what he has. That's when Vin Dizea walks into an aisles and you also got family, Yeah, yeah, yeah.
Speaker 2: Gotta throw that in there.
Speaker 1: Yeah, can't, can't. You can't mess with family. So uh so, on a split second, he senses the bullet headed towards them and managed to pull Jane out of the way. Breaks are frozen, all this city, everything collapses around it. The city is freed. Uh Bill Metzger is freed from the the glass yards going into him, and but Peter is near fatally wounded, and Frank realizes, h O screw it up and gets gets Peter out of there, and you know, the news is like, you know, Peter, you know it's gonna be Spider Man is on his deathbed. He's seriously injured. He's got like a vigil outside his room, and but Gene is elsewhere during this time trying to wake up Peter's mind, and she finally does from his coma, and you know, Frank explains that Gene has been using her magic voodoo stuff to keep him alive. And he apologized said, I've been I've seen real bravery in my day, but that was something else. And I think this is the moment where you know, Frank's this and I was, God, we're not trying to change Frank massively, like Frank being open to having Spider Man tag along. Yeah, it's annoying to him, but he cares about the kid, especially when she says, I got a way to sneak out of here, and no one's going to be the wiser. But Peter's not trying to change Frank either, Like they both know exactly what they're doing, but they can coexist in a certain way as long as either one of them doesn't cross the line. And so that's why I think, you know, having Frank there in this movie as the new mentor, you know, not your typical mentor, because Peter again was in battling this whole movie with I am Spider Man. That is who I am, That is who I really am. That is my life. When it's not his life, he can't have a life with it. He can't live in constant fear of letting people get close to him because they might get hurt or possibly die. Yeah, so he gets to walk out of the hospital while Frank is portraying Spider Man for the window with the fans, and you know, there's that one kid.
Speaker 2: Still doing the punisher yell while just as Spider Man.
Speaker 1: Yeah, well there's one kid kind of sees Peter and go whip flip with his hands and signaling that he knows he Spider manner has this idea that he's doing that. But you know, we cut to Peter back at Franks watching the sunset, then cutting to mjsoning on Mintown High's rooftop watching the same sunset, but she's holding a necklace, not just any necklace, the vac Dahalia necklace that Peter gave to her and far from home, and there's kind of little smirk on on MJ's face.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you know it was that does is she starting to remember now or is this a I'm coming around to the ideal of him type deal?
Speaker 1: So with that, you know, I'm with you. I don't really know. We gotta kind of see exactly what's going on. Jeane is on a bus headed to what appears to be upstate New York. Hm, upstate New York, you know, And I know there's a special school up there with a guy named Charles Xavier. Yeah, that a special place for gifted children exactly. So that's where we fans know what's going on. To the general audience, she's just getting on a bus and getting out of dodge. No, we purposely are seeing, like the way the tree lines, everything like that. That's upstate New York. My wife's originally from upstate New York, so I'm quite familiar with driving through that area. So yeah, so we get that small hint at where she's headed to, and we cut to him at this bodega again on his phone with the Wolf who tells him Bill has gone missing, and she also is encouraging him, you need to take a break, stay off the crime circuit for a little bit, or if you have to, don't be so involved with it. And you know, he remembers her kid's name, says to say hi to them. When Ned walks in, Peter introduces himself. Instead of saying anything else they do there, he starts doing the best hand friendship shake that he and Ned had in the past. Now Ned's very made because he's just doing it like a'm the memory that he didn't know he had, and he told him his name is Peter. After they do that whole hand sequence, he looks up at Peter and says, Peter credits, you know.
Speaker 2: To which Brent Uh brought up a very good point and we we haven't truly fact checked this, but this could be the first Spider Man movie that does not end on a swinging does not end on a swinging action sequence.
Speaker 1: Okay, yeah, so let's yeah, let's see, we don't know him with the new costume.
Speaker 2: Ye Far Far from Home had him swinging with m J before the news revelation.
Speaker 1: You know.
Speaker 2: The first one had him swinging at the end, like and even back in the other eras like this second Amazing had him swinging into the fight with Rhino and the doing that jumping swinging throwing the the manhole cover scene. So like they they've all ended with some type of swinging action sequence and this one just no Peter credits.
Speaker 1: Uh. If you're talking live action, it sounds like you got a what I call lovely ESPN Sports Center fact facts that are just okay, that's nice trivia, but absolutely it means nothing. But but if you're kind to be like any kind of like portrayal of movie wise, uh into the across the Spider verse also did not end in a web webbing kind of flying in there. Yeah, you know, because all the people are already in position, and uh, but yeah, so but live action, yeah you might have you might have a good uh sports center fact there, you know, I was already brought up, you know with Hulk fight scene. He says, it's me suggested. Maybe MJ's they lying about having no memory of what she loved or just not as wanting to admit it to herself. Of like what who Like she kind of wants to understand who Peter is, So why else would she returned to the rooftop holding the necklace she she had no relection of room. So in the comics, it seems that Spider Man unmasking is revealing his identities, is simply telling them who he is. And Brand New Day ends on a very optimistic note. You know, Spider manlifitter again, making making those friendships again. William J returned him. That's the only question, you know, we can go one way or another. I still think there is another movie out there where they're not getting back together yet, and we maybe bring Gwynn Stacy into this other love interests. I don't I think we could see them get back together either by the end of the second movie or back with the third I could see that.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I could definitely see that as well. I don't think they just dive right back into things just yet. I do think that there has to be a gradual build of Okay, the memories are coming back, but they also have these memories of the last four years of living their lives and doing their things, Like how do you navigate all of that? And then we reached that eventuality point yep, and.
Speaker 1: So we do get a post credits scene, no mid credits, just post credits only, and it's looking at Ned's Spider Tracker reveals that Peter Parker is currently in Queens. However, it picks up a new Spider Man sighting in an unknown location. Now the camera pans up to show Earth and shifts in outer space after a glitch on the screen. You know, too bad, it's not at home. I could pause by Clit's see if there's anything there and Spider that Spider Man's location is found somewhere out in the cosmos. So, but here's the thing, that's Spider emblem does not leave Queens. A new Spider Man, it said, a new Spider Man has entered you know, has been detected. So is this wall crawler on battle World, or has Doctor Doom kidnapped a hero and left them in an alien planet. I don't believe he ere there of those. As I said, pay close attention starts. You notice the constellations never change at best. A Spider Man is somewhere in beyond the moon, which makes sense if Peter has somehow been transported to a spacecraft that will keep him safe during the final incursion. Another possibility that is that the incursions are about to rock the multiverse with those worlds inhabited by Peter two or Peter three, alongside entering the atmosphere with a possible collision of Earth sixty one six. It's also been rumored that Doomsday will have a Spider Man in it. It is not Tom Hollins. If you don't want to if you don't want to know who this is, skip ahead about thirty seconds three two one. My theory is it's gonna it's Toby maguire. You will this new It is not Andrew yet, it's Toby McGuire Spider Man.
Speaker 2: If that is the route that they're taking, because I do have a different thought process, but if that is the route that they are taking, then yes, I think that they go with Toby because also in the sisel Real that they had at Comic Con they showed some old footage to Toby as well, So I think that that is where they head.
Speaker 1: Yeah, because like I said, that Spider Avatar never vanishes from Earth, so picks up a new spider signal elsewhere.
Speaker 2: To that point, though, if you look at an earlier scene, there are multiple dots as though a lot of people are picking where where they say Spider Man is, so it doesn't always immediately disappear. There is the one where where attracts his projected thing, because that's what a punisher was looking at when he said I have eyes everywhere. But this does lead to listener questions from Brent on.
Speaker 1: That, so Brent.
Speaker 2: Asked the question because this is a Spidery Tracker where people who have the app report where they have seen Spider Man, which current MCU character notified the Spidy Tracer from space that Spider Man was there.
Speaker 1: Uh, that'll be Red Guardian, That's.
Speaker 2: What I say. That is exactly what I said. I told him. I said I could see it being Red Guardian because he seems like the person who would be sitting there as everyone's having this super huge important meeting of the minds and all these heroes. He's pulling out his phone to notify the Spidy Tracer. He said, Uh, Yolena could have done it, because she seems like the type who would just do it, just because I did say Red Guardian for that, because he seems like the most likely to be Like, what I it, that's what the app's for. Spider Man's here. So I told the app that's Spider Man's here. Yeah.
Speaker 1: Uh, but yeah, all in all, you know, let's kind of give our ratings out of ten. As always, David, you go first, all right now?
Speaker 2: For me, it is an eight point five out of ten.
Speaker 1: Okay, yeah, I'm gonna go with You know, this is by far the most personal, like from from where Spider Man typically is in comics. You know, a street level hero without you know, down a is like somehow, but somehow, having all this amazing technology with no explanation of how he's making money affording anythings, like but still eating out of a bodega, but it can afford all this stuff. You know, again, one of these days we're gonna get a inswer to that I want. Brandon Davis next time you talk to Kevin, I need you to ask these questions. Horriwiszt asked these questions. You know, these are the hard hitting questions that I expect Kevin Faigi to give a very boring and unsatisfying answer. But the question needs to be asked. But I will you know this is I think Frank Castle character did a great job to show a reason to it. I think it, yes, it does. It shows that you can have a PG thirteen Punisher, But I think you cannot have I do not believe you can really have a true Punisher as a solo standing PG theater. And I think that I I think a PG thirteen Punisher is with an ensemble, a single, a solo movie. I just think that that's very tough to for me as a Punisher fan. That's a tough pill to swallow of a whole solo movie with him just gonna doing a PG thirteen round. But all in all, I think he did a great job as Peter as his journey of understanding like you can't do this alone. You cannot be your your alter ego forever and expect to have any short of I mean, that's the whole thing the Iraqted taking over. It's like, well, if you're just going to give up being Peter Parker, you don't need anything, and I can I can take over. That was that whole idea. But I would love him to kind of, now that he's in control of both, to do that. So I will you know, you say eight point five, I'll say right now, in eight. I know you've seen it twice, so I only get to see it usually once before these reviews. I'll say it at eight right now, And so it leads us to right now, I'm not ready to put it in the rankings of my MCU, but I'm ready to talk about, like right now currently where it stands in the MCU no excuse me, the Spider Man movies as a whole. So are you ready to kind of talk more about that or if you you know where it's going to rank in your MCU films, you can do. I'm not ready to say it.
Speaker 2: I'm not sure where it rings in my MCUs yet. For my live action Spider Man's it's still a toss up of if it is the number one overall. I do feel like it is the number one of the Toby's but I'm not sure I can put it o sorry, the it's the number one of the Tom Holland ones. I'm not quite sure I can put it over Spider Man two from Toby just yet. I may have to sit on that one for a little bit. Now. My my favorite of all is into the Spider Verse, So I mean, if if we're at accounting for that, then it doesn't top that one as well. That one just gave me so much pure joy that I can still rewatch that one to this day. But as for the live actions, it could it could overtake the number one spot. I don't want to say that as a As a I just saw this reaction, I think that I'm gonna have to sit on that. But I do feel like it is just such a good and fun movie that yeah it can.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I don't know if I'm I can. I wasn't prepared to rank it against all Spider movies, but with the MC Tom Hollands again, only seeing it once, I say, right now it's out of live action Spider Man movies with Tom Holland's particularly. Just focus on that one. I'll say right now it is solidly and number two. No way home. I mean people. I think there's just people that either you know, were sucked up in the moment and say, oh, I was that is good. I think the reason that I still hold No Way Home is just a step above this movie right now is there's a lot of stuff that come home to roost for Peter in different ways, and it's more than does nostalgia bait with the cameos, because it helps Peter kind of understand what he needs to do in order to be a great Spider Man, and I think that this movie shows what he has learned from it. I just don't know if I'm ready to say that it's it's it's all all the it beats No Way Home right now. It could it's close, but I think right now I'm comfortable with it being number two, followed by Homecoming and then Far From Home, which I think for right now, Far From will always remain at the bottom of the Holland list for me.
Speaker 2: Yeah, And I would not argue with anyone's assessment of that. Like if you were to tell me that this was one and that's two or vice versa. I either way I'd be like, you know what, you're valid in a because to me, they're very close and they're both amazing.
Speaker 1: What I do love about this is that it does set up our next trilogy for this, It resets the board, It acknowledges the path what he has to deal with, and I'm looking forward to seeing posts Secret Wars where we get with Spider Man next and seeing the lesson they learned. And I think maybe once we see once I kind of see where we go next with Peter in this and where he's headed to, that may be a time for me to reassess also the movie and see like, Okay, where does it stand now that I see kind of the progression of where they're headed as like the impact this has, but a great beginning of the next trilogy for holland Spider Man. Definitely go out and see it. It is well worth it. You know. David and I bol saw it in our respective Dolby visions. You know, I think what they're deeming the Infinity Vision before an Infinity vision just large format screening. So yeah, it was a great time. Highly recommend it. Go see it. You're never going to be disappointed. But yeah, so that is all we got for our review. Spider and Brand New Day. So bringing Volume three hundred and seven to a close. So David, tell people how they can follow you.
Speaker 2: You can follow me on all socials at the Phantom. You can follow me here on the gig Verse network as part of our wrestling show The Gimmick, where we will be coming to this weekend with some previews and then review of SummerSlam, which is this weekend, so we will be talking about it. We'll talk about aw redemption that happened last week. We'll give our thoughts heading into SummerSlam, and then after the two day event, we will come back with our thoughts on that. So if you're a wrestling fan, look out for that this weekend. Other than that, yeah, like I said, you can follow me on all socials at the Phantom.
Speaker 1: All right, check that out. You can follow me and all the socials at Chris Balga. Remember next week we'll be breaking down episode seven and eight next week of X Men ninety seven, So this week's episode and then next week's episode the penultimate episode of the season, so be on the lookout. First, it's gonna be childkips, some of them. See exactly how Big Spider Man's worldwide opening is going to be. We've got figures going all over the place. So we're very curious to see Sunday afternoon into Monday morning to see where the actuals lie. So but yeah, check me out on all socials at Chris Balga. You can follow this podcast on Twitter at Marvel a Podcast. You can email the show at Marvel Alliance Podcast at gmail dot com. You can follow the Geegle twin lines to Nenwork on Twitter at you waypod Network. Feel free to tweet email if you want to vide feedback DM throw open across the board. Continue to rate and review the Marvel Lion soulo feed on Apple Podcasts, Spotify, Amazon, Mies, wherever you get your pod cash. We greatly appreciate it. Well, well, thank you all for listening. Thank y'all live in the chat. Stay safe out there, everyone understand the man would say, with great power comes great responsibility. All right, David post credits discussion. It looks to me we don't have a happy topicast kind of more shocking as this is kind of like still a few hours old.
Speaker 2: Yeah, more shocking. This actually came out like right before I went on for my second viewing of Spider Man, Deadline reporting that Wonder Man has been canceled, even though it was previously announced that they were renewed for season two. Disney Plus has reverse course and has decided to cancel that season, with Yaya Abdul Mattina second, who stars as Simon Williams, saying in a statement that he's glad he got to be a part of something cool. He thanked the fans for the genuine love. And you know that Worch is dropped that you know, wonder Man won't be coming back for season two, So you know it it sucks. I very much enjoyed the show, and I think it more sucks so that they rushed to make this announcement that yeah, we're gonna do a season two, only for a couple of months later for it to be canceled.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you yet these you know, I think we were first really shocked that was getting season two. You know, even though critics really loved it, they started getting a lot of buzz, they dropped it all at once. We really again, it was one of the surprises of this year for us, you know, not because we were one of these people that said that, oh who asked for this? Were not those kind of but you know, it's it's very interesting, Like I'm pulling.
Speaker 2: Up doing a team in the second. Even got an Emmy nod for yeah His at the Emmys. Yeah. So it It's just it's strange that they would announce it and then, you know, pull back within a matter of months.
Speaker 1: Well I mean you say that, but you know, I'm pulling up deadline right now, just kind of seeing seeing because they made a mention of something about, you know, the I think the writer's room had become had they were together, but they hadn't produced anything. I don't think it was because of writer's block. I think what it comes down to in these in this situation is that if again they're trying to figure out what what's the plan? As like you said, they have plans that go through twenty forty two. Wonder Man is still part of the era of We're gonna you know, pump out content? Was it a nice surprise? What is the breath of fresh air? Yes? Does this mean the end of Simon Williams as a character coming into play? I hope not. I think that, you know, is this the last we're going to see at Trevor? I hope not. But I think where they're looking to go and trying to look at quote unquote quality over quantity. This is a quality show, but does it move the needle for view subscriptions things like that, because whether we like it or not, it is a business, and I'd be very surprised to see if this gets the traction. And then people will point out saying, well, Daredevil Born Again went down in ratings and things like that. That's true, but they still more confidence in the character than they do wonder Man. There's more brand recognition for Daredevil than there is wonder Man. Unfortunately. Yeah, and yet again another minority led show is out. So that's another problem they're having right now. Is Yes, I just said, it's a business, but if it was critically acclaimed, what does it need to do? What do they need to do to put that out there and put more emphasis saying, like, we believe in this show. It had proven itself critically. What excuse me? What can they do to keep going? You know? Yeah, even if it doesn't like move the needle forward, it's still a nice show to just watch.
Speaker 2: Yeah, And like I said, I'm sad that that is ending. I'm sad that it is another minority led show that's not going to be continuing forward, and I'm just hoping that app they can find a good use for the character going forward. Yep.
Speaker 1: So all right, so we'll see you for our breakdown of X Men ninety seven episode seven and eight and the box office fallout from a brand New Day.
Speaker 2: Well right now, so we're hoping that continues.
Speaker 1: All right. Well, we will see you all next Thursday night nine, ten Eastern Standard time. We're back to our regular time. Thank you all for those of you who are watching and joining us late. For those of you watching listening to the feeds tomorrow, have a great weekend ahead, and we'll see you next week. Bye bye, Sarah.