Speaker 1: You're listening to Bill Handle on demand from kf I am six forty.
Speaker 2: And we were talking yesterday about or this morning, talking about rap, coming up with some kind of a rap song that combs can do.
Speaker 3: I've come up with some stuff. My butt's in jail and I'm not poor. It's no fun here and my butt is sore.
Speaker 1: And now Handle on the news, ladies and gentlemen, here's Bill Handle.
Speaker 2: That was my rap yesterday, and that was in honor of P Diddy going to prison.
Speaker 4: That was your sensitivity towards the people that were harmed allegedly at this point, allegedly.
Speaker 5: I like the way that he said that was my rap from yesterday. I think it's an everyday thing.
Speaker 3: You know, yesterday, I think you missed it. You were doing the news Amy. So when I.
Speaker 2: Did my story, my segment with Mo, and Mo who's been in the music business forever, I mean, he knows as much about the music business as anybody out there. So it's always good to get inside baseball for MO. And I said, Mo, now that did He's in prison and he will never suffer from constipation. Again, Let's talk about did He's legacy and what's going on and he went on in answer and I said, I can't control myself, you know, as far as making prison jokes. He guys, Bill, we wouldn't have it any other way, of course, of course, of course.
Speaker 3: Okay. Anyway, good morning everybody. There's Neil.
Speaker 4: Good morning, Neil, Good morning, Willie Wolfs yep, and good morning, good morning.
Speaker 3: As I'm in studio and sometimes I'm at home.
Speaker 4: Is this part of the fifty to fifty you talking about? Actually it's closer to eighty twenty.
Speaker 3: Yeah, pretty much. Okay. How often are you in steud video? Well, when you are right? Okay, I'd be one.
Speaker 4: Hundred percent if you were one hundred percent right, I understand it's a much much quicker drive for me.
Speaker 3: It is for you, I know it is.
Speaker 2: And uh, And you're in the studio how often?
Speaker 3: Every day? Every day? And Amy?
Speaker 1: Yes, uh?
Speaker 3: And every day.
Speaker 2: Cono's every day, he has to be can you, Amy? You could probably do it at home, couldn't you? Or he would it be impossible?
Speaker 6: I think it would be possible to do because I think Jennifer used to do it from home every once.
Speaker 3: In a while, right, Yeah, I think so.
Speaker 6: Yeah, But no, I like to be in the hub in the center. Yeah, where things are happening, the room where it happens.
Speaker 3: I prefer the closet where it happens.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 5: Well yeah, it is sort of the closet where it happened.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 4: Yeah, that's the uh, that's the news center. We take Kno when he's done, and we put him back in his cage.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I know, I gotta. I want to change the newspaper. By the way, you'll give you a quick story. It's Friday, so I can do it.
Speaker 2: We used to have a program director, but David Hall, of course, you remember David and he KBC, which is a station that it doesn't do as well as it did, had a new building and they opened up and the hated the program director of each station hated each other.
Speaker 3: You remember.
Speaker 2: That was just crazy. It was so vicious in terms of the way. And I'm talking about on the air. For example, George Green was the general manager and on KFI it was he was always Hojorge Verde, and we made we constantly made fun of the fact that he wore a wig constantly.
Speaker 3: Anyway, So one day.
Speaker 2: David is at the studio because they had opened up a new studio and they had invited the general manager of our station, Howard, as a courtesy, and it was a plus one.
Speaker 3: He brings David and so David is walking around.
Speaker 2: And he goes, where's your newsroom because KFI has always had a newsroom with plenty of reporters.
Speaker 3: I mean, it's way up there.
Speaker 2: And David was pointed to a closet with three teletype machines. In those days it was teletype that had ap QPI and he said.
Speaker 3: That is your news room.
Speaker 2: And there was a rip and read the people did news just came in, ripped off the latest news and read it, no editing or anything. And so David says, that's your newsroom. And the guy who was taking rang and goes, yeah, that's it. David immediately gets on the phone, makes a phone call and while he's in the building, we start doing promos making fun of KBC, I mean while he's there, and vicies they threw him out.
Speaker 4: Yeah, those days were different, the early days of radio. We used to I would do a really mean billboarder working with Bill Lewis at the time, you you know, and I learned this from them and continued when they left. Is you'd always order one right outside the studio of your competitor, you know. And so i'd get calls from David G. Hall sometimes going very funny. We put one right outside his window when he left the station.
Speaker 3: Those were the good old days for you. Now we just pummel them.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so now you don't have to. I mean they're basically dead. You're beating a dead horse. And I have for two minutes. I was at KBC before I started a KFI, and that was the heritage station.
Speaker 3: That was the KFI. That was during your mustache days.
Speaker 2: That was during my mustache days and my three hundred pound days. All right, you think we can do one story before we get.
Speaker 3: To the break. It's Friday, and it's Friday.
Speaker 2: We're gonna have a great time here we go handle on the news with Amy Neil and me lead.
Speaker 3: Sorry, this is terrific. All right.
Speaker 2: You've got the Attorney General of North Carolina running for governor. No, now you turned the lieutenant governor running for governor, Mark Robinson and h he's Republican. And CNN breaks a story that he had published on a porno site, calling himself a black Nazi, supporting reinstating slavery, making anti semitic racial slurs.
Speaker 3: Just before it went on, he.
Speaker 2: Knew it was going to go on. He does a press conference and I'm going to quote him. Let me reassure you the things that you will see in that story, those are not the words of Mark Robinson. He's talking himself in third person, right, you know my words, you know my character. You know I have been completely transparent in this race and before zeg Kile, No, No, that wasn't part of the quote that I okay, So I added that.
Speaker 3: At the end anyway, and this was not a pornography. Pornography So he denies that it was him, which it's him.
Speaker 2: How do we know it's him, because well, I'm assuming there's attribution there now, no other news source has confirmed this.
Speaker 3: This is only CNN.
Speaker 2: I saw this on NBC last night and they said we we NBC have not confirmed it yet. But I got to tell you, I can't imagine CNN breaking that story without uh, without confirmation. I cannot imagine they would be so embarrassed. It would be so humility and embarrassed.
Speaker 3: You know, they're pretty careful.
Speaker 2: I mean, you know, obviously they're completely biased, there's no question about it. But they're not going to state facts. Uh, you know, they are not going to say, you know, for example, Haitians are eating dogs and cats. Now they will say Haitians are eating horses, but that.
Speaker 3: Is for that's attributed. By the way, that's not true either.
Speaker 6: All right, So a new era has begun, that's what Israel said, and it has now launched one of its most intense bombardments against Hesbo law targets in Lebanon this year. They've been firing rockets and then in response, Hesbelah has fired one hundred and forty missiles back into Israel. Today, the focus is on what Hesbela and Israel's next moves they're going to be. The UN Security Council is going to hold an emergency meeting today to talk about it. It's been an interesting week with all the walkie talkies and the pagers blowing up and Hesbela vowing retaliation.
Speaker 2: Here's what's going on. Is Israel has always been reactive. It sits back, does this thing, and the missile starts flying from Hesbelah on a regular basis, from Gaza from the West Bank, and Israel is saying, okay, we're done. Now we're going to go at it, and they're telling Hesbelah, we're ready to go to war with you, and we're ready to fight. Hesbla spinning right now. They don't know what to do. You've got the entire population running around going, oh my god, what's Israel going to do next? And Israel is fully prepared for war. They're saying, come on, we're ready for it, which they are. And so it's a complete change to what's going on in the Middle East.
Speaker 3: And we'll see.
Speaker 2: I mean, Hablah at this point is flying rockets and Israel has iron dome, and once Hisbelah crosses the border, which Israel is I think almost begging them to do, it's going to be full blown war. Well, right now, what does Israel have to lose? All of northern Israel has been evacuated. Sixty thousand people can't live there, can't work there, can't live in any of the community is gone. Same thing with southern Lebanon. Israel says, we're done. No, that's never happened before. The last time there was a pre emptive strike of Israel it was.
Speaker 3: Nineteen sixty seven, the Sixth Day War.
Speaker 2: Other than that, they were just reacting, I mean they went into Gaza the first time around, took that out and now look what happened. But it was react. It's fascinating what's going on over there.
Speaker 4: And it continues to escalate. So now Qatar Airways bands pagers you know, two way radios aka walkie talkies from flights out of a route after a dozens were killed in thousands injured in Lebanon this week. So those device explosions targeting the Hesblah militant movement has created waves and echoes throughout other industries.
Speaker 3: Now with Qatar Airways jumping on, yeah, look what is Reel did. This is unprecedented.
Speaker 2: They were able to interdict or intervene in the supply chain of those pagers.
Speaker 4: Well that's the fear now that becomes Now that becomes part of the playbook for everyone.
Speaker 3: Well, the Arabs will not be able to do that to Israel.
Speaker 2: They don't have the technology, they don't have the wherewithal, they don't have the intelligence. And by the way, it's not because you know, they're you know, less smart or whatever. That's not the case. They're not a sophisticated because Israel from day one has been on the defensive. And also Israel is a dominant player in the world. But of technology, yeah, it's a first world country. Yeah, Israel ways, for example, a couple of Israelis technology, a couple of Israelis. There are more Israelis running around. There are billionaires, you can imagine. Now you look at some of these huge yachts. One's named the Falafel. Uh, you're giving me the look.
Speaker 3: Let's to move on.
Speaker 5: Got an emergency in a small town.
Speaker 6: The mayor of Springfield, Ohio has issued a proclamation allowing him temporary emergency powers to address safety concerns during threats that are tied to the claims by former President Trump and his running mate Jdvans a Haitian immigrants have been stealing pets and eating them.
Speaker 2: Trump has vowed to go to Springfield yield. I wonder how that's going to work out. I think he can't. Uh yeah, the mayor said don't. I mean everybody has said don't. Not in I think the mayor is a Republican if I'm not mistaken, but saying please, don't you know, we don't have the resources to guard you and I and I think he's painting it like any president. We just don't have the resources because it takes an enormous amount of local resources when a president comes to town.
Speaker 3: So we'll see.
Speaker 2: I'm mind guessing he's going to not show up because I think the counter the counter administrations would go crazy there.
Speaker 3: They should do PSAs with Officer McGruff.
Speaker 4: From when I was a kid, it was a dog bill, I know, yeah.
Speaker 3: Any who.
Speaker 6: Uh.
Speaker 4: Insurance Commissioner Ricardo Lara issued a mandatory one year moratorium on insurance companies to preserve homeowners insurance and their coverage for almost a million, seven hundred and fifty one hundred thousand policy hoarder holders affected by the bridge fire, the airport fire, the line fires. So they're saying, you can't pull out right now, You've got at least a year.
Speaker 3: You've got to stick with these people.
Speaker 2: Now. One of the reasons I sold the Persian Palace, not only downsizing, I couldn't get fire insurance, couldn't get home insurance.
Speaker 3: I finally found in the mountains, but it's not in the mountains, it wasn't in a fire area.
Speaker 2: They just my insurance company just said I'm more out of California and I finally found one at twice what I was paying for a bigger deductible and less insurance doubled the cost, and I was bare for almost two weeks. Two and a half weeks, I was bare. Imagine waking up in the morning and not having home insurance.
Speaker 4: I brought my little violin anyway, So there's a one year moratorium.
Speaker 3: They can't stop. Good for them.
Speaker 5: Where did it all begin? Is the question.
Speaker 6: Scientists searching for the origins of COVID nineteen say they've zeroed in on a list of animals that may have helped spread COVID nineteen to people. Researchers say that it was probably raccoon dogs, civet cats, and bamboo rats. The scientists say suspected infected animals were first brought to the Wuhan market in November of twenty nineteen, and then that eventually triggered the pandemic.
Speaker 4: That sounds like a really good Coachella lineup right.
Speaker 5: Isn't it though?
Speaker 4: Raccoon dogs, civit cats, and bamboo rats on the Sahara stage. By the way, I thought bats in there turned on your mic cancer.
Speaker 3: I'll there you go.
Speaker 4: On to bats.
Speaker 3: You remember that the bamboo rats. Oh, maybe it's bamboo bats. You know the Kentucky fried bats that they had there. It didn't come from bats. Are we taking a break? Are you? Yeah? What are you nappy? No?
Speaker 2: No, no, no, I'm just wondering if we're going to do the next story, and we're not, because we are going to take a break.
Speaker 3: My headphones are down here, they're right here, and I don't have them on. There you go, I go, all right, Oh, who's a big host?
Speaker 6: No?
Speaker 2: No, I had a little, uh, you know, my ear sore for some reason this morning.
Speaker 4: Weird story. This was coming over the wires yesterday. I was here at the station in the news department, and everybody's going, what the hell? So you have Elector County Sheriff Sean Stein's He's been charged with murder in the fatal shooting of a Kentucky district judge, Kevin Mullins. So apparently he Stein's forty three, allegedly shot Mullens following an argument inside the courthouse and shot him in the courthouse.
Speaker 2: Wow, so you assumed that they had a little disagreement. Yeah, but there's something there and the sheriff won. They're still still investing.
Speaker 4: But the story that was coming over was like he shot him, put the gun down, put his hands up, and walked outside.
Speaker 3: Wow, it's a story, Oprah.
Speaker 6: Celebrities unite for Kamala Harris. So Oprah had this little sit down yesterday in the suburbs of Detroit, and about thirty minutes in, I don't know why they waited thirty minutes, but then they called Kamala Harris out onto stage. Stars studded interview, deeply emotional. Who wrote this? This is from Politico. It was a one and a half hour long event set up to mimic Oprah Winfrey's former TV show. It was live streamed on social platforms. Meryl Street, Brian Cranston, Julia Roberts, Chris Rock, Jennifer Lopez. They all chimed in, they zoomed in the for the interview.
Speaker 2: All right, so now the big guns Hollywood big guns are coming out, and you know, I don't know if that really helps.
Speaker 3: And I'll tell you why.
Speaker 2: People that are this at this level of political of the political spectrum, their listeners and fans are voting for Kamala anyway. It's like Trump, They're people he's voting are voting.
Speaker 3: You get wooed.
Speaker 2: Hi.
Speaker 4: I don't think it wasn't Oprah was the one who said about Obama, he's brilliant.
Speaker 3: Did she say she's no, No, she did, you know she did.
Speaker 2: She did vote for Kamala the way you do my Lemon law Lawyer dot com vote.
Speaker 3: For cob Well, we know that Trump has all the kid rocks. Yeah, that's that's what you got there. You can tell what Hollywood want.
Speaker 4: Defund Hollywood for Pete's sakes, you had do they say, you know a friend of convicted rapist Oprah Winfrey and Harvey's face Weinstein Weinstein? Yeah, and then they wasn't it gosh, what's her face? That set called him her.
Speaker 5: To start this one over?
Speaker 3: Said that he d just it's all insane and didn't start.
Speaker 2: California is in California for the presidential is only for money. We'll never get ads because California is the blue estate that exists. I mean, it's two for one for every for every Republican registered voter, there are two Democrats, all right.
Speaker 3: All right.
Speaker 4: Senate Majority Leader Chuck Schumer announced on Thursday that he's taking steps to avert the shutdown, as Speaker Mike Johnson's next move moves remain unclear, so there was the failure on Wednesday to pass the funding plan that included what some refer to as a controversial measure targeting non citizen voting, and so still a bit of a standstill.
Speaker 2: So what do they do because the controversy is that is included in the fund bill is you have to prove your citizenship to vote. And the Democrats are saying no thank you, and enough Republicans are saying no thank you, that we just want a clean funding bill. And we were up in the air and until Donald Trump came in and told Mike Johnson you stop it. I want the government to shut down. And what does Johnson do at this point? Okay, mister president, you bet he's done that before. And it just goes to show you the power that Donald Trump has over the Republican Party. And by the way, that's not a value judgment, that's just a fact.
Speaker 5: Okay, how loo will they go? Mortgage rates are on the decline.
Speaker 6: The standard thirty year fixed rate mortgage is averaging six point zero nine percent for the week ending September nineteenth. Freddy Max says that's down from six point two percent the week before and way below the two decade high of seven point seven nine percent that we saw last fall.
Speaker 3: Yeah, this is not enough though to get people excited.
Speaker 2: I don't think because we're still used to three percent money that's still in everybody's head, that is baked in, and that is going to take a long time before it becomes ancient history.
Speaker 5: Do you think it's because it's not going to get back there?
Speaker 3: Is it? Never? Never?
Speaker 6: It's I got a five and a half percent the last time I bought a house, and that was a good rate.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's my point, and that's about where it should be, right, Right, it's about five and a half percent is about what where it normally is. But then it goes to you know, I have friends that have a two point seven to five percent thirty or fixed, right, I think that's all we have. Yeah, I mean it's crazy, and you can't refly your home. You can't because you're going to refly at six percent. Two point seventy five percent is free money? Well, it's not free, free, but you're paying almost nothing back. No, it's all Well, it's almost like you know the first year for free. You know that when you buy a car or you buy something. This is the first thirty years for free no interest payments, and that's baked in, and that is.
Speaker 3: It's not uSwitch.
Speaker 2: So this is not big news, certainly to anybody who has a little mortgage rate.
Speaker 4: All right, DMV introduces mobile driver's license. This would be for Apple Wallet. This would allow California's to store their license on iPhones and Apple watches. But it's this pilot program is limited to one point five million participants. But that's pretty cool. You know, you figure you can use it at TSA. We use digital tickets toket on planes now and things like that. Now you'd have it right there on your phone.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you know they are. iHeart Music Festival. It's all digital. You show it on the phone. My daughter is going this morning and she goes, God, I wish they had paper my daughter, who's.
Speaker 3: Twenty nine, I'd love those paper tickets. Well, some people collect them. Can you imagine they're now collector's items? Well, screen Screenshow, here's some.
Speaker 2: Good news that no one is really paying attention to.
Speaker 5: Well is it though?
Speaker 6: Is it fewer ods or is it more narcan The number of people who've died from overdoses in the US has been dropping for months. It's now at its lowest level in three years. Still in April of twenty twenty four, which is the last month that they had data, one hundred, one hundred and sixty eight people had died in the past twelve months from drug overdoses.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's still kind of crazy, but it's going down pretty drastically. And by the way, Narcan is one reason. The news of how many people that are dying, the ability to do those fentanyl strips, the public acknowledgment, and just the knowledge that's going on. I think you put all that together and it's dropping. So that's good news, I guess, but it's still ridiculous.
Speaker 5: It is still ridiculous.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and you've got you can't get prescription opio Jennymore. It's almost impossible. So that I think all of that helps, all.
Speaker 4: Right to a big day for the Dodgers last night Dodgers Superstar Show, Hey Otani becomes first Major League Baseball player to hit fifty home runs in steal more than fifty bases in the season. It was I was here at the station last night. Conway was on our friends there at a five seventy.
Speaker 3: Everybody was going nuts. It was pretty cool.
Speaker 2: He is on his way to becoming the best baseball player ever.
Speaker 5: Oh yeah, on his way.
Speaker 3: Yeah, still, it's a little bit early.
Speaker 2: You've got Babe Ruth, You've got Ty Cobb, you know, with a hitting you know, you've got Ted Williams. I mean, there's some pretty major players out there.
Speaker 5: But just wait till he starts pitching it.
Speaker 3: Oh yeah.
Speaker 2: I mean the last time this happened when he was a pitcher, and the last time there was a pitcher and a star player, star pitcher star player was a goy by the named Babe Ruth, and they moved him over.
Speaker 3: He could do both.
Speaker 2: He started as a pitcher, and they can do and he moved over to just hitting. Showhy Tani may stay as a premier pitcher and one of the premier ballplayers, one of the premier.
Speaker 3: Out What does he play? What the position? Outfield?
Speaker 5: He's outfield?
Speaker 3: I knew, okay, But anyway, he's on his way. We're done. Hey, didn't I sound like a sports guy?
Speaker 5: You did? I know you did?
Speaker 6: And did you mention that the not only did he hit that milestone, he went six for six last night and the Dodgers pounded the Marlins twenty to four.
Speaker 5: I haven't seen a score like that in years.
Speaker 3: And they're home tonight, right, and they're back at home.
Speaker 2: To Yeah that's a football score. Yeah, all right, guys, we are done with the news. We still made thirteen, even with the craziness. Lucky thirteen, Lucky huirteen.
Speaker 3: There you go.
Speaker 4: You're not only off the rails today, I'm off the rails, and usually one of us is trying to hold onto the horse.
Speaker 2: All right, This is KFIAM six forty live everywhere on the iHeartRadio app.
Speaker 3: You've been listening to the Bill handle the show.
Speaker 2: Catch my show Monday through Friday six am to nine am, and anytime on demand on the iHeartRadio app.