Speaker 1: Hey, everybody, welcome.
Speaker 2: It's Friday, finally Friday, once again.
Speaker 1: Friday, once again. You know what that means. We're wrapping up the first week of the Power Block here with game Spot after Dark. What's the Power Block for all you audio listeners? Why it's caam.
Speaker 2: Is A is a multi hour stream that brings together the fine folks from GameSpot dot com and giant Bomb dot com into one unified programming schedule where wacky sits alongside serious and insightful commentary. And the goal is to create a chunk of a day where you guys can sit and watch and enjoy the things we do.
Speaker 1: Wow.
Speaker 2: And it's a growing, we hope, developing set of programs that are hopefully going to get better and better as we go along. And I think it's been a good week.
Speaker 1: So yeah, you sound you sounded like you had to pitch that to a bunch of like I sounded so good. I was like, oh damn, okay, okay, that's the more who's saying? I got Jake Decker in the middle here, Hello, Hello, and I'm your host John Lock Psyche. I figured we would take a chunk of the podcast today. It actually just like talk about car block, you know, like what it is, what we're doing, why we're doing it, you know. So, I mean, gosh, we've been working on this sense November of last year.
Speaker 2: November of last year. I think the discussions around it started before then they did. That was when we started like literally going of like, okay, we we got to put rubber to the road here and start making stuff happen. Yeah, And it was I think it was an idea like let's be frank, let's be transparent. We used to be a huge team of people, yeah now and then things happen and now we're a small team.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and we were when we had the conversations about it. That was it before. Yeah, some of the redundancies last.
Speaker 3: Year, so exactly, we were envisioning this with even more people.
Speaker 1: Yeah, how we're having to make do with a very small crew.
Speaker 2: And like between us, we figured we can either carry on just two small teams putting out content and hope for the best, or we can try and unify us both Giant Bohm and Game Spot. We're all good friends and cold workers. We you know, operate from the same space as we have the same kind of likes and and kind of we cover each other's spaces, and let's just make one thing happen and make it so people can tune in in the morning and watch straight through until some time in the afternoon and enjoy the stuff that we're doing. And it creates a canvas for a lot of us to just do cool things. Like you know, a lot of the ideas that we came up with were just stupid and made them happen between like a lot of stupid ideas, a lot of stupid ideas, and far as I can tell, there's a lot more stupid ideas to come. So yeah, and it's like.
Speaker 1: We haven't shot one down yet, We've had one hundred perre And I.
Speaker 2: Think it's because a lot of the creative decision making is on us, Like it's on people that are now in a position to thumbs up that stuff and understand it. I mean, a few years ago, I know for a fact we would have got a shot down on so much of this stuff. Oh yeah, But now the decisions are being made by me and you and Jake and Bakala and Kurt and that kind of stuff. So who knows what's gonna happen. But while we have the opportunity. We're gonna go all out on it and do as best as we can, and we just got to hope that the people out there watching support it and yeah and like show some love for it vocally. I think we're beyond the point where we can just like gingerly say we hope you like it and then hope that people, you know, just go and be like, yeah, it's great. And we want people to go out there and publicly out there and be like, hey, I like this part of it, this is good. We sho would change that stuff or also like show support for it, because I think one of the major issues is we do this stuff not just us everywhere, and then there's not a lot of feedback.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, people who.
Speaker 2: Are in these positions look at and they go like, no one cares.
Speaker 1: Just get rid of it, right.
Speaker 3: Is there like a logo or something we could like share that might conveniently be on a coffee mug that.
Speaker 1: Could Oh my good question, Jake, He's got it.
Speaker 2: He's got it.
Speaker 1: This is great for audio listeners.
Speaker 2: This is great.
Speaker 1: Describe the logo to audio listeners, please, it says Powell, and it's got three lines above it. Yeah, going from Giant Bomb red to orange to GameSpot yellow, both of us together, Like this is shout out to Dan our former GameSpot, Giant Bomb employee alumni alumni who put this logo together.
Speaker 2: And between like Dan and I always want to shout Jerrem out. Jam is incredible. Yep, and Cam Kennedy as well has been working with us.
Speaker 1: Did the Joey Spot Show logo.
Speaker 2: Joey Ye's been Joey.
Speaker 3: Former GameSpot has been doing the animation stuff for Power Block, which seen a tease of everyone.
Speaker 1: Is here, everyone is here again, and we're still working on that stuff like it's still happening. There will be more of it.
Speaker 2: And that is like emblematic of the way we're approaching it. We just got our friends that we know are good at this stuff and paid them and said, help us with this thing because we know you know us and what we're going for, instead of like trying to get some sort of you know, design agency, which is how it's clown yeah some clown yeah yeah. And like that is a great example of the initiative someone can take and just do it. You just don't just did that, oh yeah, And I was like, I've never seen one of those way do I get one.
Speaker 1: I'm looking forward the sweatshirts. Yeah, I'm gonna be honest. Half of my motivation for making this mug was like, oh, that'd be cool, Like we have a mug and I could shoot like we open the morning every day with the coffee interstitial, which is like this coffee bumper. The other reason, selfishly, is because I hate every mug.
Speaker 2: Oh yes, it's terrible. They're all awful, awful and the inside it and you're like, god, yeah, I'm not.
Speaker 1: You know, it's bad when the best like least cringey mug in that in that cabinet is the oldest CBS I mug yep.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 1: I was like I feel I feel like less awful using this mug, yeah than any of these others. So I was like, I need a dedicated mug for myself.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and it's like really nice. Like I saw it and I was like immediately I thought, there's not many barriers to us getting that into like a merch store if people want it. So like and now we're just like work on that, like we have a giant ball merch store. We probably will you know, unify that as well at some point. Sure, and maybe you'll find that there. Yeah, you can buy it yourself and hopefully show some support.
Speaker 3: I will say, speaking of interstitials for those watching and may have not caught, you know, the live streams yet, the little the little videos we're having playing between each on the fund, that's that's where we've kind of gone a little wild. We've that was like shoot first, asked questions later, so socieenttality literally like we just set up cameras and shot stuff. And for a while there we were afraid to show like the people above us because we're like, this is kind of weird and out there and I don't know if it'll be funny and so far, I think thee.
Speaker 1: Once we did, everyone was like, oh, this is great, and we're.
Speaker 3: Like, yeah, I think what we've shown the we've shown one ad for a soap operas of our lives, right.
Speaker 1: Yep, Sunday at two pm here on the.
Speaker 2: Part definitely airing on Sunday yeaheah.
Speaker 1: Day tuned, Yeah, Sunday two pm. I think we've done some new segment. We've done a new segment, right, We've done two breaking news yes with Curtain Divina, Watch Out Grub Yeah, coming for you She's coming for you.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 3: Yeah, those have been a lot of fun. Also seeing the Game Spot show the first episode on yesterday, which was pre recorded, which is something we don't normally plan on doing, but yeah, Kurt is out, uh so we shot it ahead of time. But that was a lot of fun I would produce and see and I'm excited to see how that.
Speaker 1: Some of my favorite comments from that were one people like understanding what we were going for, people saying like, oh, this kind of reminds me of like late night television, that kind of energy. There was one comment that said, man, I think this is too corny for me, and another person said, this is the exact amount of And the other comment, which I talked to you about was somebody said, this feels like they made this show for all of their forty plus audience that remembers Game Spot like way back in its heyday. And I was like, kind of, I.
Speaker 2: Mean, like we made it for people who remember a Game Spot back in the day, because we are those people like we are, Like I came up watching games Pot and I watched the show that we just made it. I'm like, kind of reminds me of On the Spot, kind of reminds me of game spoting.
Speaker 1: Everybody also just like felt this intense desire to have something that isn't like talking heads on a desk a podcast. Yeah, like this for example.
Speaker 2: Like yeah, I mean like it has its place, like this their place.
Speaker 1: But not everything needs to be a podcast. Sometimes I think it should. It should work as a video and that opens up the opportunity for you to do like weird. Yeah, but you can throw things at Kurt, throw things at Kurt.
Speaker 2: Dress up as a licensed TV character.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yep, yep, can do all that, I would.
Speaker 2: Say, legally distinct legal, Yeah, yeah, it's it's a it's cool, it's an ambitious thing.
Speaker 1: It's scary, Yeah, it's scary. I think I can understand the audience's perspective of like what's going on? You know, game Spot still exists, Is Giant Bomb still exists? What does that mean? To be honest, Like it is messy and there is like we were like where.
Speaker 3: Does Giant Bomb end and game Spot begin?
Speaker 2: And the answer to that is nowhere, Like they are fully or there's an overlap between them. That the goal is not to make distinct, you know, like there's no point in having this kind of line in the sand that separates us when the things that we want to do are kind of of of a one vision and we can exist in that space. Yeah, but while also having our own personalities, like Giant Bomb can still be Giant Bomb and GameSpot can still be GameSpot, And when we bring them together, it just makes it all better. It gives it texture, gives it flavor. So you know, you turn the TV on to watch like Snack or Tsunami. You don't like every single thing that they show, right, you tune in for the one that you like and maybe stick around and wait for the other one you like, or you just put it on and let it go. That's the idea.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, it's pretty much.
Speaker 3: All the segments will either in full we posted on YouTube or will break out moments or cut downs on YouTube.
Speaker 1: So if you can't you know, catch.
Speaker 3: The yeah like stream, that's they're the only thing that you will only be able to see live at least for now or then. You know.
Speaker 1: That's how we get them. That's how very precious about them. I've already had people being like, oh, can we like throw that up on like socials like.
Speaker 3: No, no, yeah, no yet you go go do I want them some exclusivity here.
Speaker 1: You need to. I want them to. I'm not saying they won't eventually.
Speaker 2: No.
Speaker 1: No, if I I think one they add like an exclusive they add, they add like a value to the live stream, Like you get to see this because you're tuning in live. That's like your little bonus for warning these fun little things. The only way I will be cool with them showing up in a VOD form is if a random audience member decides to like do it, like archive them themselves by like, and I want them to be like I wanted to have like the what's that like awful cam with the.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah yeah yeah, I forgo, oh.
Speaker 1: It's like high pam or whatever.
Speaker 2: Then ex vix in the court.
Speaker 1: Yes, And it's just like that's the only way I want to see those.
Speaker 3: Up on the internet right now, speaking of like you know, the game Spot show being made for GameSpot fans who are like forty plus or whatever. I was thinking today just now that this is my tenth year at GameSpot. I started in twenty fifteen, beginning of twenty fifteen.
Speaker 2: Did you stop before off to me?
Speaker 3: I think I started shortly after you did, so it's probably yours as well.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I lost ten is that.
Speaker 3: I was not here for a year in twenty twenty one, so technically I haven't worked here for ten years. My first day was I think in May, it'll be ten I think.
Speaker 1: I think technically me and Jake are now neck and neck, and then we've actually worked here.
Speaker 3: I think you probably have more because I think you started like eight months after me instead of and I was gone.
Speaker 1: For a year I think or year, and and I started in May. So I'm coming up on my nine.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I start ag I think it was two weeks before E three, yeah, which is crazy. And they were just like, all right, we're going to eat three. I was like, I just go ahead. What was going on?
Speaker 1: I simultaneously feel like, oh god, I've been there forever and also like barely at all.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: At the same time, I mean like.
Speaker 2: Something like this definitely distorts the time because it feels new and fresh for us, like it feels like we're doing something different, and then that kind of like compacts the time that comes before it. But yeah, it's been so.
Speaker 3: The amount of times I've moved offices in these last ten years makes it fit. I think no more when I started games. What was on the third floor with giant bomb at the CBS office. You probably saw it if you went to to three that year. And then surely after we move the first floor, and then we moved to the fifth floor, and then we moved to another office and we moved here and hopefully hopefully we stay. This is it the studios. Very bury me in this studio, please, this is there's a nice spot back here actually where you could probably get buried.
Speaker 1: We could leave your body there and everyone will be like, why does it stinking here? The composing body? Yeah, that's what they wanted.
Speaker 2: So yeah, I mean we hope people like it, and we hope people.
Speaker 1: And people are honest about what they do, what they want to change.
Speaker 2: Yeah, they are.
Speaker 1: People near it.
Speaker 2: I mean like we read as much of it as we can while maintaining our sanity, and we definitely take it into account. But ultimately, this is our show and as a team, we'll follow what creatively speaks to us. Yeah, we definitely okay and think about whatever. There's any kind of.
Speaker 3: Like we hold ourselves to like higher standards. Well, can we give like a breakdown of what the schedule is? Because I realized We're talking a lot about what it is, but like what what can people expect each day?
Speaker 1: That's good, that's a good question. So yeah, Monday through Friday. Monday is a lighter day because we still work for a company that demands meetings yea, the never ending onslot of meetings. So we were like, just put them all on Monday. I guess. So Monday game Breaking News, which is the rebrand of of Greb's news show, uh, and then GB Kids which is Sewn and Nicky, and then Dan Dan does his his blood and does whatever. I saw what he was playing on Monday, and I was like, heck, yeah, I don't know if I want to like spoil it for him, but I was like, that's cool, awesome, and then Tuesday bomb Cast followed up by So there's like an open slot there which that it's either going to be like me Jack and Kerr Tam. It's one of those things where we're experimenting. We're experimenting and like so we have like our regular shows right that are like this, we're going to have airon this time in this, but we also have these open slots that are just like free for hey, this game came out or like we just want to cover this.
Speaker 3: Thing, or hey, we're going to play some Magic the Gap. We're going to play Magic the Gap.
Speaker 1: I cannot wait. Yeah, I cannot wait for that.
Speaker 2: I think we have we have a skycam.
Speaker 1: Yes, oh my skycam.
Speaker 3: I think because I bought a draft booster box order of the Rings cards over two years ago, ago, a year and a half ago. And it's like sweating in the in the back there. He's ready for me, and we've been talking about drafting it eventually, and I think now is the chance finally draft.
Speaker 2: I have multi pull decks that I've purchased in preparation for us to do this. I also have a Bloodborne Dick which, oh yeah, I have a custom. The custom it's like they called it, but they.
Speaker 3: Like it's like real cards that have been rescinned, re skinned to Yeah.
Speaker 1: I used to do that back in He so good.
Speaker 2: It's so good.
Speaker 1: I think me and my friends used to make like just based on whatever we liked, entral Time or Avatar, which, by the way, they're making an actual Avatar, the Last Airbender, Magic the Gathering, oh yeah, which is like it's kind of cool.
Speaker 3: Well, I mean that's kind of like my hope is that, like you know, during that block, obviously we're gonna do other stuff, but like you know, we started dipping our toes in magic, and then maybe we can do something bigger around like the Final Fantasy set that's coming out I think in June or July, because Final Fantasy is a game and we do cover games.
Speaker 2: Yeah, last I checked, I have a I have a one piece card game that I've heard is fantastic. Really. I purchased it because everyone was talking about in NonStop and people like this is amazing.
Speaker 1: I heard we have a Warhammer audience. What if we just paint Warhammer figures?
Speaker 2: I would we call it like the self care session where we're just like doing something else, painting, knitting.
Speaker 1: But also like no mics or like the mics are just pointed at like the so you just hear the brush smr asmr Warhammer painting five hours.
Speaker 2: See, that's the kind of thing that we're like, it's feasible, it's doable, it's possible, yeah, exactly.
Speaker 1: The interesting thing will be the balancing between like the stuff that like more experimental and weird versus like you know, we still have to like and talk about it and how can we kind of do that in a way it's fun and entertaining, and that's the thing. I think. We're still like experimenting, and.
Speaker 2: People who may be concerned about the game coverage part of it, there's we are on top of that. We understand it. We understand that our bread and butter is covering games and you know, analyzing them, breaking them down, telling people what they think, what we think. Reporting news that isn't going anywhere. It is changing forms to a degree because the old way doesn't really work and isn't super interesting to us.
Speaker 1: I mean we've been doing we've been like circling, you know, like ideas, and you've been here for nine years and you've been like, yeah, we tried that before. Yeah we've done or we've done that. We keep doing that. Yeah, and you know like, hey, like times changed, the way people like consuming change and you know, like we just got to be honest with that, and yeah, you'll try feel stuff.
Speaker 2: You'll still get previews from us, you still get reviews from us, you'll get interviews. Next week is GDC and we have a bunch of interviews that we're gonna be des coming on, a bunch of debbs coming in. They won't be that won't be live, but you'll see them eventually and it will be like in the programming in a way. That's cool. I think the most exciting part of this is it makes like interviews viable to me again, because interviews is something that at least on our channels and our website, it doesn't really get much traction.
Speaker 3: Now, I like tear my brain apart fit like the the only interviews that I should have worked in a long time are like the ball there's a Balderscape ones which like not even really interviews. It's just like an explainer from the depths, which is cool.
Speaker 2: We had the one where we Swen came in and I chatted to him that.
Speaker 1: One as well. It's just because Balder's game, man. I think that helps too.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but like this is a way for kind of an interview to have a life couched in other things. Yeah, you know, like it's it's a good palate cleanser, or it's a good transition piece where you learned something about a game. Because I remember watching on the Spot back in the day, and I would like watch every interview, even if it was for a game that had no interest in just because it was part of that block, you know. So I'm excited for the interviews that are coming out next week. They'll go out at some point, you know, some of them are embargoed, so there might be a delayed kind of like publishing on that.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I refocus a little bit. So Wednesday, what happens Wednesday? Yes, Yes, so Wednesday Grub again, grubs every morning basically game breaking news Monday through Friday.
Speaker 1: Yes, except for Tuesday, because it's the heart of the Bomb cast, is the one thing there. So Wednesday we have Grub. We have Wednesday is a weird one because that is like we don't do anything here because Wednesdays are we go film our weird videos that you see in the middle day. So thank you Jan for taking Wednesdays on a thumbs up from Jan. Let me think, let me think, I think it's grubs day. It's like a Grub day.
Speaker 2: It's like, I think, is that where because.
Speaker 1: Grub does his segment.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and then light Club.
Speaker 1: Is Blake Club is so it's like Blake Club. And then I think Grub has like a solo segment. So like Wednesday is a big Grub day, Big Grub Day. Thursday pub is. Thursday is a huge day because that is Games Morning, the Game Spot Show, and then after that is kind of a slot that's open to you. You know again, it could be us, it could be you, yeah, Lucy, yeah, you guys playing split fiction have been doing at and then Voicemail dumb Truck, and then after that is uh for Friday, we have game breaking news, we have BombCast Revengeance, we have upf and then we have this show after dark all of that week. To change closing out the week, I might want to move it. I'm being honest though, after dark after dark, yeah, I mean I like closing out the week just but then but then I'm like, oh, I gotta go get it and everything. I gotta go edit the video and publish it.
Speaker 2: Like that's not great.
Speaker 1: The title the turnaround is a little tight, and I don't want to watch.
Speaker 2: Yeah, like we said at the start, like or where this isn't a settled, cemented like schedule. We're figuring out what works best for the content and our own workflow.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: I've always been a proponent of taking care of work life balance and the kind of thing where you say, like, oh, it's the end of the day, we've just filmed something. I hate to hear that you need to sit down and edit something now, Like I don't like that for me, Like I want Fridays to be a light day for as many people as possible, and like, so we will shift stuff around to try and find that balance. So this serves the show and this serves us as people. So we can find a good workflow, and you know, things are going to get added as well, Like we're working on a new version of spot On that's going to come up at some point, maybe on a Friday, maybe on a Thursday. We're figuring it out. But yeah, stuff is liable to move, but we'll make sure everyone knows in advance.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, yeah, I've heard that in the past. GB has not been great about schedule upkeep that that is a top priority to try and about having a schedule.
Speaker 2: Chance in the back just being like I've tried.
Speaker 1: My wife hit me up being like, hey, she was watching and she's like, where can I see the schedule for this? And I was like, uh, yeah it is if you're on YouTube, it's in the display. But yeah, I think we want to try and have that.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I think we should try and do that thing. Remember we had a graphic made at one point and it had like all the show was coming out. Yeah it like as our banner on YouTube and that kind of stuff that.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it obviously wouldn't work, but I know it like kind of funny. Does they just every Sunday they send out the schedule that they have, which like it's the emails because for patrons, right, but like, yeah, I think we could come up with back newsletters, bring back newsletters popping off.
Speaker 1: Actually, let's let's print it out and mail it to people.
Speaker 3: Yes, yeah, yeah, everyone us your addresses and you know you might get a brick in your window with a piece.
Speaker 1: Of paper tape the schedule pal on it. Right, Well that's actually the noise it makes when the window, regardless of the material it destroys. But yeah, it's it's an exciting time. I think a lot of people are energized by it. Like I I love looking over there and seeing like a control room and like Max is back there and Janey's back there, and.
Speaker 2: It feels professional. Yeah, it feels I don't think it's felt like this. It's pretty pandemic. Yeah, I don't know if we've.
Speaker 1: Ever talked about it. But like there was I remember right before the pandemic happened, it felt like, specifically on the video team at Game Spot, we were like starting to hit a group via that we were feeling really good about. Like we were having these ideas and like we were trying these new formats and they're working, and we were like, oh, man, like we we could see this path forward that we were feeling really good about. And then the pandemic hit, Like yeah, immediately after that and all of that like completely disappeared because we were just scrambling to just like figure out stuff.
Speaker 2: I mean, like we we spent the first year because we were like told, oh, we're gonna go work from home. There's this weird sickness that's going around. We'll be back in about a few weeks. So we were like, great, we'll be back in a few weeks. We never came back.
Speaker 1: It was Peter Brown's last day.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it was Peter Brown's last day. I remember we took pictures of shit and like we just never came back. So the first like I feel like the first six months was just spent like outfitting people so they could do their jobs from home. It was like getting cameras to people, like rebuying equipment and having it shipped out. I remember Rob was working here that time. Oh he was like Rob driving around like literally drove the equipment to me and like from a distance gave it to me and like we waved at each other. It was crazy.
Speaker 1: It was crazy.
Speaker 2: Yeah, And then since then, I don't think we We definitely came up with a bunch of ideas. We made cool things along the way, but it never felt like as a team we got into a groove again.
Speaker 1: Yeah, And I think a lot of it came down to the in person aspective. Like the reason we felt so on groove is like we have a studio and we're we're like making stuff together and like collaborating. It's like you can work full remo and be but like for myself, I need like in person collaboration on some level.
Speaker 2: I like a good split.
Speaker 1: Yeah. I like the option to stay home, especially on a Monday. Yeah let me just like take these meetings in my pajamas with the webcam off. Please, But yeah, I mean it. So it's like having this space, having this studio, which has been like long time coming, it feels like crazy and vigorating because you just see the space and you're like, I want to use this, I want to use this. What can I do with this? What can I do with that? And then having having this you know, new like power block format is both like intimidating and scary because you're like, well it work, like oh my gosh, like because it's you know, like just a reality of things right. But it's also like it is invigorating because it's Okay, let's try something new, and let's like if we're going to do it, let's just swing for the fence and make some weird, interesting stuff because at the very least the end of the day, I can we can look back on it and be like we made we made some cool stuff that some people liked.
Speaker 2: We did it ow away, we did it our way, as Frank Sinatra would say. Yeah, it's it's a evolving like we said, and it's been a genuine team effort, Like I's there's not a single person working here that hasn't touched some part of this power block and had like a big impact on how it works. Like Kurt's not here, but like he's been toiling. You guys have been working so hard whether it's setting up the studio or kind of like id eighting on stuff, refining things. Like I said, Max and Jann are back there. They've been figuring all that stuff out and tech and folks that aren't here like back law. You don't get to see much of what he's up to, but like he's been doing important things to kind of help drive this for you know, Max as well other Max Lucy grub Dan like Dan is like also pivotal to a lot of the stuff that we're doing because me and him are like on the creative side of like helping steer it to a degree. And it's a it's a good thing because you get his wackiness and I love the wacky, but I get to be the person who's like, all right, let's have some refocus focus it. I'm the person who's like, let's just make sure that we're not going full wacky and we lose the plot on what we also need to do, and like I feel like that's a good balance and we're still getting it right. But I think with each day each week, this week one like days, Yeah we've done it for a full week. Yeah, yeah, we still have This was our trial run and I think personally, I think it was really good. But there's more to do and more to evolve it. And like you said, when all said and done, as long as we can look back here and be like we took a we took some swings here, and you know we took a good shot at it, that's what matters. Yep, that's the power block.
Speaker 1: That's the power block.
Speaker 2: Now let's talk about video Yeah.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I think we're gonna give this one like kind of short this week. But I actually can't talk about video games because I have been playing a game I can't talk about.
Speaker 3: I'm just playing Monster Hunter. I've I've may have talked about it briefly last week, but I kind of like there's still more I can grind out. But I'm at the point where I'm just fighting the same three monsters over and over again, so I'm kind of eager to see what they add at this point. Sure that said, I still think the game is very very very very good.
Speaker 1: Uh, it feels great.
Speaker 3: I I don't think the like open world free form format is like revolutionary or like game changing is maybe uh people thought it would be, but there are parts of it that I think are super nice, like just less friction. I think like one thing that I has kind of started to get on my nerves is how like the eating meals works because it's like before a monster hunter, before you go on a hunt, you'd eat that meal would last you the hunt, and then after that you get another one. And in this I'm like mid fight and then it's like your meal buffs expired and I'm like okay, and I'm like writing a and then I pull out my grill and start cooking something while my friend's like like where'd you go?
Speaker 1: And I'm like I'm eating you know, yeah, You're like fifty yards that way, like with a little hot pot a little bit.
Speaker 3: Yeah, there's some like weird sort of like growing pains with the age format change that they that that I hope kind of get addressed to the next one. But like when it's said and done, like, I this is my favorite monster in game I've played, and to be fair, I haven't played a whole lot. I've played for Ultimate, I think, and I didn't play much of that, and I played Rise and I played Worlds. Yeah, but I think this is like I'm very into it and like it also like having played Worlds and Rye or World and Rise. Part of me is like, Okay, but what are they gonna do when they release like Monster Hunter Worlds?
Speaker 1: Uh the expansion, Yeah, you have Violet Haze or whatever the hell it's called.
Speaker 3: Let I don't know, and and that like remixes it and adds a bunch of more monsters and like adds that replayability because I remember with Rise that was a big thing where like, oh, totally it kind of just like you hit a wall at one point, and then when Sunbreak came out, there was so much to do.
Speaker 1: Yeah, So I'm super excited to see where they go with that.
Speaker 3: And I don't want to sound like I didn't get enough here, because there's definitely plenty there. I played like sixty hours and I could see myself putting another foot.
Speaker 1: But I agree with you where it's like I think, like the issues I have with this game are like it's just like, oh, I like to me, it's like it's very obvious like where it fell a little short and what they can improve in a way where it's like, oh, they can just rEFInd that stuff for an expansion, like it'll be great, it'll be awesome.
Speaker 2: The thing about the video game industry and development is that most people know who cover it, but like those flaws that you see in a game, developers know, yeah, they see that stuff.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and it's usually uh yeah, you know because because like the big fly I point too, is that I feel like the campaign yeah, and the open world stuff don't feel like cohesive. And it's that's just a class example of like they probably were like we're making this, we're making this, and then eventually like they just they probably realized the same thing of like, oh, these aren't as cohesive as they should be, but what can you do? It's a little too late, but we can take lessons from that.
Speaker 3: But you do see that coming to fruition with the like late game hunt where you're hunting multiple monsters at once and like you're going from area to area and like I did one with a friend and we like divided and conquered. He took careful monster, I took care of the other, and like that sort of that's where the open openness vision like comes to look. But you just have to play forty hours to get to that point.
Speaker 2: Yeah, have you seen that there's a I can't remember where it is, but there's a cat with a sword, just like doing stuff.
Speaker 1: Like I realized in the game.
Speaker 2: In the game, you mean like palko, though I think it's just like an MPa. It's just like hanging around doing a sword swing. I saw a video of this on Instagram. It's just like practicing the sword swings. And the person who's playing is like, oh my god, is that the same cat, and it's it's the camera of the cat, and then it cuts to ice born and it looks like a younger version of that cat. So it's like that cat has grown up, grown up, which is the most durable thing because you can see it, Like the animations are like extremely similar. Yeah, and you can see, oh, this cat is put in the work and it's now like armored up, got a massive Have you done.
Speaker 1: The thing where you go back to your tent and you hit the trigger to play with your palico? Oh yeah, yeah, So just go to your tent and there's just a button to play with your Palko and you'll press it and like there are several like different animations that can play out, and there's one where like your palico will like play with like your sword and then accidentally like they'll cut themselves and then they'll be like, oh my gosh, and your character starts freaking out and then the Palica's like I was just playing with it. Fine. Uh there's one where like a wood wood like gets in your tent somehow. Like it's like the little details they put in are like there's so much love and effort into that stuff. Yeah, so cute.
Speaker 3: Uh. Kind of like a broader discussion around sort of Monster Hunter in like Capcom in general. I think I g in a couple of days, I think Matt Kim put out a a article about how Capcom has kind of like been able to deliver Game of the Year contenders every year for a very long time. And that's something like he obviously talked to people and like got official statements. But that's the thing I've been think about for a long time because like Capcom has been killing it, yeah for so long now, I mean not so long now, but like there was that period where it was kind of like what's going on here with like one of the street Fighter games, and then all of.
Speaker 1: A sudden, I would say, like resid Evil seven was the turning point. Yeahah yeah, that game came out and then it was like they got their shit to get Yeah.
Speaker 2: I was talking about this literally this morning with Grubb, but it's like they focused. I think what happened was Capcom got co up in everyone. It happened to everyone in the fads that kept coming up.
Speaker 3: Like the three sixty eras. Yeah, it was like so guilty of that.
Speaker 2: That's where like stuff and some of it was interesting and gave us like stuff like lost Planet and stuff like that. Some of it was not so much. But then it was like the class Planet three and then the business stuff came in where it was like, oh, you have to have a co op. There's a pair of of a cop was everything, and that got us of being suck and like that was like okay, that's that's not good. And then there was like, oh, the e sports thing came in and it was a big deal, and that's when Street Fight kind of like pivoted towards esports in a major way. Half finished yeah, and I was just like what is this man? And I think that they clearly had a moment where people stepped back and I was like, what are we doing? What do we focus on? What do people like? And how can we like reinvent it from a new era, and they did it. They did it with pretty much every franchise, and I think, like, you're right, Resident Evil was Residue Evil seven was it? Yeah, Resnel seven was a big point. But for me, I think Resnel seven was when I really when I realized and you realized, everyone realized like, oh, they're they're trying to write the ship.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: I think when I realized, oh, and they know what they're doing and they're making good quality games is when they did Residuel to remake. Oh yeah, when that came out and it was like, oh my god, that.
Speaker 1: Game is an all timer.
Speaker 2: I said, this morning is top ten game of Allah and I stand by that. That's when I was like, oh, I have confidence in them.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: And then like Street Fight came out.
Speaker 3: Street Fight is good, street Fighter six is so like fun, Like it's gotten me into franchises that normal. I mean, even mons China is a game that like I had I knew about. I tried four Ultimate or whatever, didn't really have any interesting worlds came out.
Speaker 1: I was like, yeah, play Street Fighter. I got really into Street Fighters remakes. I never thought I'd say that for remake a game that I was like, does not need to exist. I had no confidence in that thing that like I figured it would be fine, but I was like, eh, incredible game, like absolutely amazing. The only thing they haven't been able to nail is those Resident Evil multiplayers weird someone there. I think they're done with holding onto that.
Speaker 2: I think they've done.
Speaker 1: I hope they are.
Speaker 2: I think they just don't because they want a multiplayer game. They look at their franchises and the most popular one is Resident Evil probably, and they just try and make you know it happened, and it does.
Speaker 1: The weird misses are like still at least like kind of interesting, like that weirdna I don't even that was a miss, but it keeps you born Kilburn. That's the one. That one's more of a miss in my opinion, But it was still like, okay, weird dinosaur multiplayer co op game, Like it's interesting, it felt different, you know, I still and then Kip Sagami.
Speaker 3: Genuinely of every game. Yeah, a good game and weird and unique. I think what's cool about Capcom now is they're almost on the same trajectory as the Capcom I remember from the like PlayStation one, PlayStation two, days because PlayStation one it was bangers. They were putting out bangers and that Yeah.
Speaker 2: PS two is so they had that period where they were doing really good PS one games and they kind of like built a really strong foundation. PS two is where they started getting weird, doing stuff like God Hand, Beautiful, Beautiful Joe and Okami. And in this modern age, they've been putting out bangers, which means the next step up if we're you know, parrotting or like reflecting back on it is getting weird, which kipsu Gotti feels like the start of that. And then they just got coming back to do a comedy. A comedy they are, like, I think of it as they're in the clover right now, which could be really cool.
Speaker 3: Yeah, they like But even like the fact that they made a sequel to Dragon's Dogma, a game I don't think people ever thought they'd get a sweep too, because it was it was kind of niche wasn't wasn't crazy successful, and it came out but had like that cold fan base, and even like looking at how successful Monster Hunter Wilds is, it's crazy to think that a game like that had like, what was it, two million concurrence or something.
Speaker 1: On I don't know if it was that many, but it was. It was an insane amount of concurrenist, like the seventh highest of all time on Steam. Yeah, hit something like that.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it sold like eight million copies in a couple of days, and it was just like, oh my god, and.
Speaker 1: It makes me like I'm spreads.
Speaker 3: More developers haven't looked at that and been like or more publishers haven't looked at that and been like, we should do this.
Speaker 1: Like part of me kind of sees.
Speaker 3: Like, ea, kind of like half doing it, you know, where they're like that Space remake, We'll kind of try this, but then like and then it's like okay, but here's all you're like, yeah, yeah, which was good.
Speaker 1: I like the Dead Space remake. Actually that felt like the right path. I know it didn't sell as well as they wanted to, which is a bummer, but ya got it frustrates me, yeah, because they always feel like they're they're almost there, and then they like.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and then the worst part of it is like again they are they feel like they're almost there, and you see flashes of what you really like. When I played Dragon Age a preview, I was like, oh, they might have it. They might have it, and then I played the rest of the game. I was like, I don't think they have it, yeah, or like you know, they almost.
Speaker 3: Remember Wildhearts that they published. That was like, oh what this came out of nowhere?
Speaker 1: Why too, like you know, and like they should be doing more stuff like that. I mean, you know, like they have had really like what Split Fiction is like huge, I mean out of ten, but also it's like doing super Well, which is like awesome, and like you know that's part of the EA originals. Like yeah, so like there's good stuff in this. Yeah.
Speaker 2: I just I just hope they're building on I hope they do have that breakthrough moment there resident Evil seven moment, because they have a massive game in in development about that game either needs to be the breakthrough moment or it needs to happen and the breakthrough moment he's happened before that, so that game benefits from it.
Speaker 1: I an't. Yeah, I don't want to be like a downer, but I'm not sure. I'm worried that game is not I.
Speaker 2: Think rightly, so I think it will come out. I think if they cancel that game, it's going to be I think it's going to be because they're gone, you know, yeah, which I I I don't know.
Speaker 1: I mean, I've made peace with the fact that, like Vilguard's probably the last dragon Age game to ever get made.
Speaker 2: And I was like, at least for very long, at least in this form, like maybe we get a Dragon Age one style, smaller game, but.
Speaker 1: Sure, but like that specific franchise, but that I don't know. I can't see it happening now kill me.
Speaker 3: How Like BioWare has like created a holiday, how mass Effect Holiday every November seventh, and it's like I like the idea of this, but like it hurts too much to see this.
Speaker 1: It's no more holiday, and I'm.
Speaker 3: Like, that's cool, But like, you announced the mass Effect game five.
Speaker 1: Years ago, apparently isn't far enough to go into proper pre production.
Speaker 2: That's I am anti having holidays for friends.
Speaker 1: You don't love, you don't love Last of Us Day. Oh, I forgot about it.
Speaker 2: Marrio E Day, Emergence Day, Emergence Day.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 1: I think to be fair, I don't think they leaned. I don't think they released the game on that day they released the first year.
Speaker 2: I think they might have leaned into it at one point really for like the four Day maybe that was.
Speaker 1: The best one, and they didn't even make a big deal out of it. It was just really cheeky. And it was if you noticed, was they released the remaster of Dead Rising last year on the day that Dead Rising starts, yes September, which was awesome. Yeah, that's like and they didn't even like it was just very tongue in.
Speaker 3: Cheek, you know, I know the Capcom Yeah, good game, great, yeah, pack of a game. Yeah, they stopped making Dead Rising games and then the game's got good again.
Speaker 1: Maybe that's.
Speaker 2: That was the poison in the well.
Speaker 3: I mean, I mean I love those first two Dead Rising games. I would and I like the remake.
Speaker 1: I would love to see the Japanese team take an either crack at.
Speaker 2: Because that's what's missing.
Speaker 1: It was, I mean, no offense to that studio, the Capcom Vancouver that made the three and four they made two, three and four, Yeah, and two is great. But I think I think it was their fall. I think it was like a lack of focus and direction on.
Speaker 2: And also like an attempt to franchise a proper ip that doesn't have that kind of motion.
Speaker 1: Totally. I think I think they had a lot of stuff working against them, and it's a shame they got shut down. But I would like to see the Japanese team take another crack at Dead Rising just be weird with it.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I mean, I think that's why one is so good, because it's just like took a lot of risks that you wouldn't take today that I feel like Capcom could take again now people might actually like really respond walking around a.
Speaker 2: More just oh my god, welcome to the family, mott Son.
Speaker 1: It's like also the new uh Samurai game, I thought the trailer looked awesome, where like your character is like he's like kind of like a goofball like like where where he's like, I'm the tough samurai and then he like runs away like all cowered, and all of the animations looked really deliberate, and it was a lot of stuff like I'm gonna grab a table and like throw it at somebody or like do these like weird like kind of like I'm gonna grab your arm and twist it. And there was a lot of because because look, it's the year of the Samurai. It's the year of person with samurai sword. I'm a little tired of it if I could be perfectly honest. So at first I was like, on moure, that's cool. It is another game of the Samurai sword. It might, but it looks very different like tonally and and the the like speed of it looks so different that I'm like, oh oh, I'm into that.
Speaker 2: And also like I don't believe there's many developers publishers doing that style because it's a survival horror game with that sword. That's what AMusA has always been, and there's not no one else's really.
Speaker 1: They're definitely leaning more uh everyone everyone's just trying to recreate like either a from software game or like kind of more speed.
Speaker 2: So it's like an open world Samurai kind of life is similar. It's like, you know, Ghost of Sushima isn't that kind of thing. It's like an open world stealth action game way you know, grounded in history. This is done stuff. And I played through the because they re released the first game with like directors whatever, and that was great, Like I had a lot I'd never realized that game is like four hours because I blasted through it and I was like, I could swear I played this game for a month when I was a kid, it's just.
Speaker 1: So yeah these days.
Speaker 2: I'm just like, I think it's because they put in like direct control instead of like ten controls.
Speaker 1: So I was just like, would you recommend that version? Because when I was going through the game spot game library the other day organizing, I did find a copy of every Owner Musha game on the PS two and I was like, oh, I could just load these.
Speaker 2: I I think like the new one is more playable, obviously, sure, I think if you want to play on a musher for like enjoyment first time, play through the remake, but if you have access to the original, check that out to see how weird and how far it's come. Okay, it's like playing the It's like playing residueble To remake versus playing the original Residue Evil too, got it. It's it's a weird, janky game, but that whole like system where it's like hold the button down to collect the souls and the one on one frame is it has it there, And I was like, oh, this is cool.
Speaker 1: I like this, I'll do that.
Speaker 2: I also had like that weird almost like a roguelike style thing where it's like you kept going down deeper and deep into the depths of hell, and each one was like a it's it's like.
Speaker 1: A Diablo, like exactly.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it was like a combat arena, and if you died, you'd like come back up the top, and you have to like bosses along the way.
Speaker 1: I had no idea. That's so interesting. Yeah, hey, that's why I took you forever.
Speaker 2: I was obsessed with that thing. Yeah.
Speaker 1: Sense cool. Well, I think we're gonna wrap it up there a little early. Jake's gotta catch up flight, I do, so I want to make sure you can get out of here in time. Thank you so much for watching, for listening, for being experiencing us in your ears and with your eyes. We always appreciate it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's not what you thought.
Speaker 1: Let us know what you thought of the power block.
Speaker 2: Jump into the archives, watch that stuff, put some comments in there. They're on YouTube, game Spot and Giant.
Speaker 1: We're trying to do things like leaf time codes on the archives on YouTube, so you could just pop to the show you want. If you you know, I want to watch it live, you should tune in. Every starts at nine a m p t. Every day every day, and if you want to tune into this specific podcast live and you happen to be listening to it in audio two pm Pacific time on Fridays. For now, maybe we'll move it. You'll know, we'll know, we'll let you know. But before we go, do you want to set up one quick little thing we've been working very hard on. We've talked about many times, Jake, is it finally ready?
Speaker 3: Wednesday nine am Pacific? Our Stoker two documentary will go live. We have a trailer. How's that going to work? Is Max gonna roll it now?
Speaker 1: And then so we're going to close up the podcast for or for normally, so for you audio listeners, it's just gonna end like normal. But then on the live version we'll roll a trailer that's gonna tea Yeah.
Speaker 2: The stock doc in a long time come in.
Speaker 1: It has yeah for background.
Speaker 3: Last Summer Game Fest is when I first had I first chatted with some of the people from Jesse Game World about doing something like this. After that communication in September, we flew there a couple months before the game came out. We interviewed seven developers who evacuated Ukraine and settled in Prague. We interviewed to other developers who are still in Kiev. In Ukraine. Don't know if they're both in Kiev. I think they are though, And we have put together a forty minute doc that kind of details how that game survived a cancelation of fire, hackers, a pandemic, a war, death threats, like that game really went through it still managed to come out last year. We intended to get this documentary out kind of closer to release, but it is very sensitive and we wanted to make sure that we got everything right, make sure the facts were.
Speaker 1: Straight, make sure it was.
Speaker 2: Since picking into account the various like geopolitical issues, kind of issues and perspectives, and.
Speaker 1: It's not something you want to rush for the sake of being timely.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Also like unfortunately it's still timely.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and like it's a reflection of people's lives over there and you don't want to misrepresent that.
Speaker 1: Yeah, absolutely, you know.
Speaker 3: Yeah, honestly, it's he's probably even more timely now given some recent interviews that.
Speaker 1: Have popped up.
Speaker 3: But I will say, like, like we said, so much hard work when into this, through so many people. I mean, the PR company that kind of like made this happen, Renaissance PR.
Speaker 1: They helped us kind of get started.
Speaker 3: Tamm you're in a lot of early conversations about getting it going. Chris Morris, who is part of the Redundancy layoffs, back in October, went out to shoot it with myself and John Ye. Chris did some of the graphics. I've I I edited. I edited some of it. John Luke you edited some of it, a lot of the He watched through all of the interviews and kind of took the most important stuff. Richard ended up, you know, helping us get this over the finish line. We hired Joey to help finish the graphics for it, and the graphics look amazing. Yeah, it has been. It has been a real team effort. I feel like I'm gonna cry when it's done just because it is friend and yeah, it's it's it's been a long time coming. And I think we'll spend some time on next week's podcast sort of yeah, thinking about it now. I think we'll probably talk about it there, and then we're also thinking for the next segment that you meet Kurt on, we're going to do like a talk over sort of direct commentary I guess, sort of sort of deal.
Speaker 2: But that what time is that going to be published again?
Speaker 3: Ideally hopefully the director his commentary the visual Wednesday, nine am Pacific. Okay, okay, Wednesday, ninety Pacific. We're gonna roll the trailer. That trailer will be on YouTube at some point yep. So we're gonna go do that in a sec. But thank everyone for listening and watching.
Speaker 2: Hut to Dave Dowet, who's watching, Dave?
Speaker 3: You Yes, go watch XP, watch exp XP.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Dave, Chris and you know at Payson who were colleagues of ours and we loved daily. They started their own thing. If you like missed fire Arm Expert. Stop that's where it is now go watch them. Please do support them.
Speaker 3: They actually just put out a stalker one too that kind of goes over some of the changes that may have happened.
Speaker 1: Good.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's good.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Yeah, it's a good one.
Speaker 2: Yes, spend some money with them. They do amazing work. But sat in that we can't work with them, but we'll figure something out.
Speaker 1: Yep. And with that, thank you so arch much for listening, and we'll see you all next time.
Speaker 3: The Bu.
Speaker 1: Bu Bu
Speaker 3: Bu Bum thing