Speaker 1: Bill Cunningham, the Great America. Welcome this Wednesday afternoon in the Clash eight and the super Bowl coming up by fourty four or five days.
Speaker 2: Bengals should be there, but nonetheless, Liz Bonus' is the medical wellness.
Speaker 1: Reporter of Channel twelve WKRC.
Speaker 2: Lots of good information about what to do, what not to do on the Super Bowl and so much more. And Liz Bonus, welcome again to the Bill Cunningham Show. And first of all, all of us are very upset with the fact that Bengals are not there. Maybe one day they'll be back, but who knows. But let's face it, I read so much about Super Bowl parties, what not? D What is your research shown, if anything?
Speaker 3: All right, So we got two cool things on the super Bowl. We need to start with one before the other, because I don't think you're going to want to hear about this after food. Have you heard about this whole pe anxiety thing.
Speaker 1: I've read it.
Speaker 2: I kind of disregarded it, but you're in disposal. Pe Anxiety is a real thing.
Speaker 3: I know.
Speaker 2: Tony Benner tells me he often has the same issue during the game. Explain what that is.
Speaker 3: So they said that about a third of us. They go to the bathroom at halftime, and then they map out a game strategy for when to go to the bathroom and as a consequence for like holding our bladders, and it gives us pee anxiety. We actually will not go in the last two minutes of the game. And it's so much so like I'm talking to the Eurology group about this today because they really say, this is not good for any of us, that we should be sitting around worrying about when we can pee in a game that the Bengals are not even in. Don't you think that's true.
Speaker 2: I don't have it myself when the Bengals were in the Super Bowl. Yes, when Coop and others were making those catches against the Rams, yes, I had pea anxiety. Not had it sense, But it's a real thing, correct.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I didn't realize that there was a name for it. And they say that more than half of us feel anxious when we're stuck in a situation that keeps us from using the restroom, and we consider Super Bowl Sunday in the game one of those pee anxiety times. I'm like, my goodness, who knew?
Speaker 2: What about the caloric intake I know many of us are concerned. You're binging before, binging, during, binging after and this super Bowl because the Chiefs and egos are involved, which they've been involved to in the last three I understand that the ticket scalping's way down, the viewership maybe down, who knows, But what about the diet, what about what eat what not?
Speaker 3: Dat?
Speaker 1: How much caloric intake? Should you schedule? Things like that?
Speaker 3: So I honestly think that this year the most exciting thing will be the food. Make a good Super Bowl party because I can't tell you that the game's going to hold your interest, you know, especially we don't have a stake in it. But it just feels like, I don't know. I know some people want the Chiefs to have the third repeat and other people don't, and you know, so focus on the food. It's a good thing. But what's interesting is when you start looking at surveys, we get as many, according to some as eleven thousand calories that day, and it's recommended you get no more than about two thousands of a day. So second biggest eating day after Thanksgiving? Where do you think most of the calories come from?
Speaker 2: I would think they come from chips, and popcorn and drinks and beer and guacamla and all that stuff.
Speaker 3: So the topper is our pizza and wings get literally you get about ten grams of fat in every wing, which means you get one hundred calories per wing. And you know, I have spent years researching this. I think I told her I got my first radio job because they were like, tell me something interesting about food. And I was like, did you know that last year we ate enough chicken wings that if you line them up, they would stretch from New York to Disney World. And they're like, you should be on the morning show translation you have no life, you know. And I'm like, it's true. We don't realize, like they just kind of suck them down, you know, and you have the I don't know whether you like the tops or the bottoms of whatever. Those things can kind of slide in. You don't even realize you got a thousand calories and wings before you even started the den. You know what else will do that to you? Which is fascinating to me? And I love these devil's eggs. Did you ever notice how you can eat like sixteen devil's eggs, but you could never eat sixteen eggs in an omelet.
Speaker 1: No, why is that?
Speaker 3: I don't I don't know. I've been actually fascinated by that. Like I love devil eggs and I can suck them down like you. Why is it that like it does that? And yet I would never like open a dozen eggs and make them for my omelet. They're so good. I think they're just they're like slithery and they just go down easy. And I justify it because it's time protein. But I've been working on the deviled eggs perfecting recipes. The secret is you need to put a little mustard in the inside egg, you know, when you make them filling little male little mustard, little bill pickle fuse seasonings. Oh the bot Either way, do you know why we eat so much on Super Bowl Sunday? Because we drink so much?
Speaker 2: So is not drinking if you if you don't want to eat a lot, don't drink a lot.
Speaker 3: No, this is actually fascinating. So I always thought, like, you know, when you gain the freshman fifteen when you go to college, it was because like y'all start drinking. But actually what they found is that when you start drinking, you don't care what you eat. So most of us start drinking like noon and the games at six thirty, and so you know, you have a couple, then you have a couple of Pretty soon you're like, I don't care what I'm eating. I'm re seating because I'm eating, you know. And it's fascinating when you actually have less alcohol. I thought, oh, fewer calories, but that's not what they say makes the difference. What makes the difference is that you just lose all your sense of judgment and do things and eat things or whatever that you wouldn't so really do so if you want to cut down the calories, which I find fascinating because this year they're actually having oh, zem pick super Bowl parties. Did you know that?
Speaker 1: I never heard of that one.
Speaker 3: Yes, ozempics. So many people are on these weight loss medicines that for the first year, year to year obesity stats are down, and it's sad. It's not because we're eating less and exercising more. It's because we're all taking drugs. So a lot of people are on these. They don't want to blow the whole day and you're not really supposed to have much alcohol with the ozempic. Thing is I know everybody does, but it delays the gastric emptying, so putting alcohol and there is not a good fit. You can like pass out and stuff. But so they're they're doing like a lot more non alcoholic drinks to get you started, which you can do with spritzers and all that. They're doing more high protein foods. You know, if you look, you'll see all kinds of Super Bowl recipes now for the high pro the zero the ozempic diet, whatever it is. And then a lot of people are just saying like, okay, we're not starting our meal until four pm, because what happens is that as you eat for six hours, you lose all sense of your hunger signals. And the whole point of ozembic is it makes you less hungry because it's delays that gastric empty So just the thought if someone in your circle is trying to watch a few things that could help. I personally think, if you want to eat what you want to eat on one day, that's not usually the problem. It's what are you doing the other three hundred and sixty four.
Speaker 1: Right and the other thing you've done?
Speaker 2: This topics on when to eat and I try to consume food before six or six thirty or seven. I go to sleep maybe at midnight or one o'clock. But if you're filling up your belly at the end of the game, which is like ten PM or ten thirty, you may have a rough night.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I agree with you on that. I do think eating earlier is once gentler on the whole system, and I think you sleep better. And you know, it's kind of like giving your car full think of gas after you've driven the long trip. You don't really need it at midnight. But I also think it's interesting that sometimes how well your team is doing will influence like, oh well, I might as well just eat because my team's gonna lose anyway, which I think is really fast connected.
Speaker 2: Yeah, with the Reds and Bengals, we've all been there. Now. The issue to the rage the last couple of days is the new pain medicine has been approved by the FDA that doesn't involve OPIOI, it doesn't involve some sort of addiction issue, and it really attacks the pain sensors at the side of the pain instead of going to your brain. Could that be a game change? You're about people that using various drugs to get high or low, and that this new pain medication could be really a plus.
Speaker 3: You know, from the research that I'm reading, it could be. It's called Vertex, and it's the non opioid pain drug, And as you said, what it does is it goes to the signals and the nerves, which is usually where you're having pain, you know, your hip, your back, whatever, not in the brain or its reward pathway. And the reward pathway is the secret. The question I always have because they say that like about one in three who tries an opioid for certain will get hooked. The question I have is, you know, are those same people still going to be in search of something because you know, you probably had surgery and had taken a couple of days and you didn't get hooked, and you know there's a tendency for us to want any escape. So well, I think it could be a game changer for pain. I hope that it's not just like okay, now we look for the next fentanyl or whatever. You know, people that want to find something to escape usually do you know case in point, have you seen the psychedelic conferences now they're having, you know, yeah, and like people say, it helps me forget, I don't have PTSD and all that, and that's great, but like you know, we we tried that years back with LSD and it didn't go so well. So I worry that, you know, we we like to think that, wow, we'll change the opioid structure of a pain pill and people won't get addicted. But I actually think that most of us in life now are looking for some kind of an escape, at least for a little while. And I found that out because I was looking at doing some research recently on the whole generation, like the millennials, they say are so addicted to things that they're actually using on the job, like you know, keeping alcohol in the desk and keeping drugs you can't tell for you know, pain killer, poppers and things like that, and it's so prevalent. And it wasn't just like an addiction to those things, like you know, a drug or alcohol. It was even like addictions to pornography and gambling and they can't cope during the day and they're using it work. And it was like this whole thing about how it's sort of maybe more acceptable to use a crutch. And then it's really also very sad that we just want some kind of an escape, and so I hope that this game changer for pain really works. And you know, if youn't have pain, it's a bad sign that your body's telling you something. But clinical trials of that drug showed it worked as well as the opioid based product. So we're going to find out. We're going to find out if this really was all hype and we were making people addicted, or if people just wanted to escape and it was a very convenient one.
Speaker 2: That's what you've done reporting on this before. About gambling in the super Bowl, it's the number one gambling event of the year. A lot of the websites are encouraging people to put up a few bucks. You get two hundred dollars in this and that, and everyone almost gambles on the Super Bowl constantly. And the receptors in the brain, a lot of young males, say between fifteen and thirty years old, use porn instead of dating because you can't deal with a real woman. Therefore you have in some fantasy land that's a problem. Are the same receptors in the brain that deal with porn and gambling and alcohol at work for those different elements, But for those who want to gamble in the Super Bowl. I can gamble and just walk away and don't do it ever again.
Speaker 1: Whatever.
Speaker 2: I don't have the problem. But many Americans, whether it's porn, drinking, drugs, or gambling, they start and they can't stop.
Speaker 3: You know, it's interesting. I am working on a story like this. We're airing it six on Local twelve. And they're the lender Center of Hope has a a guy who deals with nothing but addictions, Internet addiction, porn addiction, gambling addiction, you know, And he actually said that there is a higher suicide rate in gambling addiction than in some of the others. And they do think that, especially with pornography and gambling, there's a center in the brain that gets so hooked that without it you cannot achieve the same high. And he was actually telling me that there are guys now that if you know, if you get so addicted to porn, it plays with the dopamine in your brain, and your wife who isn't dressed up in some weird, wacky outfit that you know, or borders on violence or something like that, will not get you turned on. And they actually said that there's a higher rate of the use of like ed drugs and direct all this function in these guys because unless they can get that high, they can't achieve whatever it is they want to achieve. And he's he really thinks there's a similar correlation in gambling, like it's a different kind of high, but I don't know if we know why. And what was so interesting to me was that he said, you know, the problem. One of the reasons that the suicide rate is higher with some of these is that they involve your money, maybe even more than a drug or alcohol addiction would, And so that means you've spent your kids college education, you've mortgaged your house, and quite often you think if you take your own life that people will get insurance payments and it would cover you, which isn't often true. And so there's a lot of education that we need to do. But I don't even know if with gambling we know the extent of the addiction, because it's so much like porn, it's done in secret. You don't like I mean, you might drink with your friends, or smoke or do whatever drug with your friends because it's a friendly thing, but you don't go Hey, let's all pull out our phones. And check out porn together. Not you. I mean maybe you do, but I don't know anyone who does that. I've never met a person. It's usually done in secret. So same thing with gambling. You're not like you might put a dollar here, a dollar there with your friends, but you're not really telling them that this is that dollar. You just put the whole mortgage payments down, you know, because it's yeah, it's kind of an embarrassing thing. So I think the real message is if you talk to the people with gambling hotlines, and they are very passionate by helping people. They want people to know there really is help for whatever the other addiction is, you know, porn gambling. You don't think there is because it's not openly shared. But just like you can interrupt an alcohol addiction or drug addiction, you can really interrupt these and they do it usually with a variety of techniques, you know, sometimes avoid and sometimes medication, sometimes accountability. It's never easy, but even kind of start gambling your whole future either, you know.
Speaker 1: Gambling I've been involved with.
Speaker 2: I represented some gamblers and criminal charges and they have to lose. Winning does and satisfy them. They have to lose because they have such a poor self identity, they have to be at the bottom of the well. They can't succeed. They keep gambling until they lose. Many people who might hit the roulette wheel at hard Rock may walk out the door with three hundred dollars thank you. But a true gambling addict has got to stay there until they lose as much as they can lose, because it solidifies the view of themself as a piece of human excrement, and they want that confirmation that they're a loser. That's why they gamble. You know what I'm saying, that's really sad.
Speaker 3: I would believe you on that. I also know that the way you hook people is through what they call intermittent reward, and gambling is very high on that, meaning, you know, you win a little bit and then you lose, and so it's very hard to break that because you keep getting the intermittent reward. And its like being in a bad relationship. You know, the guy, like you know, breaks your ribs and then he apologize and gives you flowers or whatever else. It's like the intermitt rewards, but they're so nice and so normal in between, you know, and you feel like that niceness and the normalness come back when you win a little bit. And so not that I say in those kind of relationships, but if you talk to anyone, that's usually why you stay in something abusive, you know. So I do think you're right that probably sadly, you know, you have to hit rock bottom. Lots of things in life are like that. But the message is you really don't have to if you can get someone that can help you. Kind of in the meantime, you know, it's sad. It's sad that, like, we're taking a really fun game and this is what it has become. And they said sports betting really did push it over the top.
Speaker 2: Yeah, lis Bonus, you're the best just health medical reporter. You're on top of all this stuff. Get ready for the Super Bowl. We have about thirty seconds remaining. Who do you like Sunday The Chiefs who I don't like at all? Tay Tay Taylor Swift drives me crazy. Now and there's a rumor of an affair with Joe Burrows. You may sweitch size and come to the Bengals, in which case the Bengals are going to win or fly Eagles Fly.
Speaker 1: What does lis Bonus say.
Speaker 3: You know, I don't really feel strongly about either, but I'm kind of always for who hasn't won the Super Bowl because I think it's fun to see that. I'm told the Eagles want it.
Speaker 1: Have they won it ever one time?
Speaker 3: Or have it one time? Okay, So it's just been a very long time, so I'm kind of rooting for the underdog in this one. Plus I'm so tired of the Chiefs, like they could have, you know, made it to the Bengals stayed in the playoffs for a while, and they wouldn't even do that for us, So I'm kind.
Speaker 1: Of merrying them now.
Speaker 2: The Chiefs lost on purpose and Denver so the Bengals would not be And because the Bengals can beat them, right.
Speaker 3: They didn't. Yeah, they knew the Bengals could beat them and they didn't want to play them. So just on principle, I'm kind of rooting the other way this time, but not because I honestly have a preference, you know, just.
Speaker 2: Liz Bonus, you're the best Super Bowl gambling porn and so much more. Liz Bonus, thank you for coming on the Bill Cunningham shown lez You're a great American.
Speaker 1: Thank you.
Speaker 3: Hey, back at you, and I want to know if you feel the p anxiety in the game.
Speaker 1: Okay, I'll be texting you constantly.
Speaker 3: Those are the kind of facts that you've got to I gotta pe, Lis, I gotta pe, I gotta pe.
Speaker 2: All right, let's thank you very much. All Right, let's continue with more list, bonus news, next, and more. It's your home of the Reds. News Radio seven hundred w l W