Speaker 1: You are groping down a dark alleyway in the French Quarter of New Orleans, driven by terror, hounded by the curse of the Populoi, a curse from which there is no escape.
Speaker 2: Escape produced and directed by William N. Robson and carefully contrived to free you from the four walls of today. For a half hour of high adventure.
Speaker 1: Tonight, we escape into two worlds, one of modern jazz, the other of primitive voodoo, and to a doomed man who brought them together. As William Irish imagined it in his Eerie story, Papa Benjamin.
Speaker 3: All his Police Department Fourth Precinct, Sergeant Tolliver speak, yeah, yeah, well pick him up on a drunk seventy two three? Right, yes, sir? What can I do for you?
Speaker 4: Are you in charge here?
Speaker 5: Yeah? Hey?
Speaker 3: Aren't you ready? Block the bandleader? That's right, hey, Joel, look us here, Eddy Block.
Speaker 6: Well, I never thought we'd get a visit from celebrity like you, mister Block, and at four o'clock in the morning, I suppose though, this is just a shock of the evening for a big shot orchestra leader.
Speaker 3: What can we do for you, mister Block?
Speaker 4: I just killed him man, Yeah, you're kidding. I'll tell you. I've just killed him.
Speaker 3: Man, I guess you've been working too hard, mister Block, imagining things.
Speaker 4: Here, here's the gun, look at it.
Speaker 5: And I sit down. Mister Block.
Speaker 3: Better have a drink of water.
Speaker 5: You'll feel better.
Speaker 4: Oh no, I'm all right.
Speaker 5: Yeah, this gun' have been news to or right. Smell m.
Speaker 3: Was it an accident, mister Block?
Speaker 4: No?
Speaker 5: Who'd you use it on? Who was it?
Speaker 4: I don't know his name. They call him Papa Benjamin.
Speaker 5: Sounds like white man.
Speaker 4: No he was a negro.
Speaker 3: Oh well now here in the Orleans.
Speaker 4: Oh no, no, no, it was nothing like that.
Speaker 5: Well what was he doing to you? He was killing me, killing it?
Speaker 4: But how look at me? I used to weigh two hundred pounds, him down to one hundred and two.
Speaker 3: How how was he killing you?
Speaker 4: But you'll believe in anything you can't see, can't here, can't touch. Well, I've been to the biggest doctors in the world. Hey, don't believe me. How can I expect you to simply sam cracked and let it go at that? I don't want to spend the rest of my life and on the site.
Speaker 1: Ill.
Speaker 3: Look, mister Block, you say He was a Negro named Papa Bench.
Speaker 4: Yeah. He was an all old man, eighty maybe ninety, skin and bones. He could hardly walk, and I shot him.
Speaker 3: You're sure you're sure you're killed him?
Speaker 4: Yeah, of course?
Speaker 5: Or where?
Speaker 4: I don't know exactly. A little back alley in the here curry here, Congo square. Supposing you take us there? Can you do that?
Speaker 3: Then maybe we'll find out this is just a bad dream.
Speaker 4: This is the alley to the right between the buildings.
Speaker 5: All right, let's go.
Speaker 3: You pack serge and catch cold without it.
Speaker 7: Don't go back there?
Speaker 5: Why are you? Oh cops, O nice neighborhood, this is it.
Speaker 4: You're not going up the stairs? Come on, no, nom te'll make me go up there? Can please?
Speaker 5: Better comes to Block. You're showing us, Hey, flesh of lights.
Speaker 3: Somebody here on the stairs.
Speaker 5: He won't bother us. Step over him and let's go.
Speaker 6: This ain't the most pleasant neighborhood of calling him?
Speaker 5: Release it?
Speaker 4: Yeah?
Speaker 3: He not doing Come on.
Speaker 5: Better, call a commissioner. Mister Block wasn't kidding. This man stayed.
Speaker 3: But why why?
Speaker 4: Because he was killing me? Commissioner.
Speaker 3: It was self defensive.
Speaker 4: He never came near me once I was the one who went to him. I offered him three thousand, ten thousand any amount, and he refused. Finally I offered him my gun and asked him to shoot me, whether to get it over with quickly, not to drag it out any longer.
Speaker 3: Then when he said no, you shot him.
Speaker 4: Yeah, so you can lock me up.
Speaker 8: Now, mister Block, do you think we wanna hang a murder rap on you one of the most popular celebrities in the United States.
Speaker 3: Use your head now. I'm trying to find an out for you.
Speaker 4: He was killing me.
Speaker 8: Look, an eighty year old colored man who's so feeble he can't even go upstairs by himself, who has to have his food pull it up to him and a basket is killing who? A stumblebum his own age? No, mister Eddie Block, the top bandleader of America can name his own price anyway, who has about everything a man can want? Tell me just one thing, mister Block, how was he killing you?
Speaker 4: My thinking thought waves of death had reached me through the air. Now, mister Block, you want to hush the whole thing up, don't you.
Speaker 8: No, No, mister Block, but I'm going to get the whole story, so you might as well.
Speaker 5: Start telling me from the beginning. All right.
Speaker 4: Began one night about two years ago. We were playing at Maximus on Charles Street. We were just another band, small Dixie Land outfit. Then Eddie blocking his chips, Judy Jarvis, my wife did the vocals, but we weren't setting the world on fire. Business was so bad. I knew what to expect when I got a call from the manager one night after closing time.
Speaker 9: Of it.
Speaker 1: Oh, hi, Erdie, I thought we'd better have a little talk.
Speaker 4: It's that bad.
Speaker 3: We took in forty five hundred this week.
Speaker 4: I see. And you can cancel my contract anytime it falls under five thousand. I get it.
Speaker 1: Eddie can get the same liquor and sandwiches anywhere, but they'll go where the band has something. Tonight there were more waiters in the place than customers. Judy didn't even get a hand. It's not her fine, No, it's not her fault. She's okay. But well, I'm asking you what's wrong?
Speaker 4: Oh, I don't know. I'm getting the latest arrangement sent to me from New York. We sweat our heads bald rehearsing.
Speaker 1: This is New Orleans, practically the cradle of jash you got to give them something new.
Speaker 4: I know, I know, I know.
Speaker 1: When do I leave, well, finish the week up, see if you can do something about it by Monday. If not, I'll have to wear Saint Louis to get Krueger's band.
Speaker 5: I'm sorry, Edie.
Speaker 4: Oh, that's okay, you're not running a charity bazaar. But I didn't feel so cocky about it. It looked like we were on the skids. The band just didn't seem to have it, and I wasn't good enough to figure out why and pull them out of it. I was feeling pretty low, and I went back to the deserted bandstand to pick up some music. The place was dark and empty except for a couple of scrub women cleaning up. A dark nightclub can be an eerie place sometimes. I got that feeling just before I saw it. Saw it. Lying on the floor between the stands was a severed chicken claw with a red ribbon tied around it. I almost laughed, how did that thing get there? Then I picked it up and tossed it out of the floor where the scrub women were cleaning up. I certainly wasn't expecting the reaction I got. They took one look, turned and ran out. I just recovered from that surprise and was bending down to pick up some music that had slipped to the floor when I heard someone come in. I guess I was pretty well hidden from view anyway, he didn't see me. It was Johnny Stats, my drummer, and he was acting funny, looking intently at the floor, searching for something. Suddenly he spotted this chicken claw on the floor and grabbed it up with a terrific soun I have relief, stuffed it into his pocket and walked out. What I did then, I did on a strange impulse, and it changed the whole course of my life. I followed Johnny Stats. I suppose I just meant to catch up with him and have a cup of coffee with him somewhere and ask about the chicken claw. But as I followed him farther and farther down into the view carrie down to Congo's Square, it was a growing curiosity that kept me on his trail. When he turned into that dark alleyway, I stopped and debated. I felt like an eavesdropper, and yet something drew me on and I walked up that dark alley I passed that one lighted window, but I went on, threw a sort of tunnel into another alleyway, and then I stopped. Ahead of me, Johnny Stad stood before a dark, dismal looking old wreck of a building. Suddenly he whistled quietly. A gigantic man appeared out of the shadows. Johnny handed in the chicken claw and was motioned into the building. And then I heard sounds coming from the upstairs of that building. A throbbing drum, a wailing, an unearthly sound, and yet wonderful, an exotic, fascinating rhybon. This was music, something new, something sensational, something that would set New Orleans on its ear and put Eddie Block in a big time. I had to get in there and hear it. I was mighty busy for the next five minutes. I ran back down the alley, overturning five or six garbage cans before I found what I needed. Then back to that lighted window in the alley and a five spot in exchange for a red ribbon. Then I was back at the dark building, walking up to that menacing shadow.
Speaker 5: Right up, let me see your face.
Speaker 4: Okay, okay, easy with that knife. My ribs are tender.
Speaker 5: Your face never been here before.
Speaker 4: My friend Johnny starts up there.
Speaker 5: He'll tell you, mister Johnny, your friend you guess would come.
Speaker 4: This, uh, this chicken claw told me to.
Speaker 5: Come, Benjamin, send you there.
Speaker 4: Certainly you'll make me late, Papa. Benjamin won't like.
Speaker 5: That, all right, go along here first, singing no one on the wall, and.
Speaker 4: I groped up the stairs, half expecting to feel his knife in my back. When I got to the top, safely, cautiously, I opened the door and.
Speaker 10: Stuck contoon, cartoon, dumb carto.
Speaker 4: The room was full of people, and they were in such a state of frenzy I wasn't even noticed. I slipped into a corner and slid down by the walls, sitting on the floor. It was a sight I'll never forget. Wild, fantastical, hideous, revolting. Fascinating in the center of the room was an incredibly old man, naked to the waist, wearing a hideous mask and holding a live chicken. There were wild gestures, weird incantations, frantic dancing, shouting, rolling of eyes, and there was blood, and always there was the chant. Nobody noticed me. After a moment, I took a piece of copy paper out of my pocket and began putting down the notes. It was wonderful, fantastic and wonderful. And ten minutes I had it, and I'd seen enough enough for a lifetime of nightmares. I began to feel sick. I wanted to get out. I started to stand up. Suddenly the room wait, dead stranger is here. He's Bonny. I'm stretched out straight from the shoulder, pointing at me like a narrow and there.
Speaker 5: Was blood on it. What you do here, hi, I know this man? Let me find that.
Speaker 4: No one moved. There was no sound in the room as Johnny Stats came over and squatted beside me. You're in terrible trouble, Eddie. I don't know if I can get you out of it.
Speaker 5: What is the Stats?
Speaker 4: What are you doing here? There's no time to talk now. You've got to do something quicker.
Speaker 3: You'll be a dead man.
Speaker 4: Why I'm in the very heart of New Orleans. They wouldn't dare listen. You've seen enough tonight to know better, Eddie. Is only one way what joy become one of us. It's the only way, Eddie. I can't save you.
Speaker 5: You had better hurry up.
Speaker 4: Because unless you do, you'll never get out of here alive.
Speaker 5: You know what this is, don't you. This is voodoo?
Speaker 4: Okay, sure, I'll joy why a minute.
Speaker 5: There's a lot more to it than you think.
Speaker 4: Unless you're serious it, it'd be better to get cut to pieces right now, all right, don't worry, I'm serious, all right, hoppoloy.
Speaker 3: His spirit wishes to join our spirits.
Speaker 4: The old man burns some feathers while the others watched silently, and he nodded.
Speaker 5: Came out all right, he reads him. The spirits are willing.
Speaker 4: There were other things, ritual ceremonies, another sacrifice. Then as the chatting started again, they brought me the sacrificial bowl. I didn't have to be told what was in it. I started to draw back. Drake, Eddy, Drake, or I'll kill you on the spot. Late next morning, the band assembled at Maxims for a rehearsal. When Johnny Stats got there, he found another drummer sitting in his place. Naturally, he came to me, what's all this about, Eddie? I don't want any voodoo lever and my band, that's all Stats. Here's a check for two weeks selling, So.
Speaker 6: You're crossing them, maya boy, I would want to be in your shoes for all the golden port knocks.
Speaker 4: If you mean that a bad dream last night, I haven't told anybody, and I won't. I'd be laughed at. I'm only remembering what I can use of it. The jungle is just trees to me, the congo A river, and the nighttime is just a time for electric lights. But this new number you're going to rehearse this morning, I said I'd remember what I can use listinity.
Speaker 5: That chat is sacred, its secret, it was secret. Don't do it.
Speaker 4: Look, here's a couple of scenoes. Hand them these. I out to pay up my dues from now to doomsday, and I don't want to receipt. And if they tried putting poison to my orange juice, they'll end up in a chain.
Speaker 5: It's not that easy.
Speaker 4: Yet you're one of us.
Speaker 3: Oh, get out, okay, goodbye dead.
Speaker 4: Man Graham, the manager of the club, changed his mind about canceling our contract when he heard us rehearse the chat. Instead, he spent five g's in publicity, and Saturday night was set for the big Unfailing. It seemed like all New Orleans tried to jam at the Maxims came to hear the Voodoo Chat, the real thing. Just before we were ready to hit it, Judy came up to me, Erry, listen, let's not do it. What do you mean, baby, not do it? This is it. This is our ticket to the big time.
Speaker 7: It will be a some safety, I know, but I got a funny feeling. And look I found this under you addressing room door. It just now it sounds like a warning. Somebody doesn't want you to play that number.
Speaker 5: Let me see.
Speaker 4: You can summon the spirits, but can you dismiss them again? Think? Well, forget it. Baby Stats is trying to scare me because I fired him. Ladies and gentlemen, come on, honey, let's go there, will you.
Speaker 9: Takes great pleasure in bringing you a historic moment and musical estuary you're about to hear for the first time anywhere, the Voodoo Chat, the age old ceremonial rhythm no one but the initiated has ever heard before.
Speaker 5: This is the real thing.
Speaker 9: Accurate transcription, not a note has been changed. So, ladies and gentlemen, Eddie Block and his Chips present for the first time anywhere, a voodoo chant.
Speaker 4: I'm safe I've been pricing for it. I screamed for more. But we were playing at paper once a night. I had packed him in. After it was over, I went back to our dressing room. Judy got there before me. She was reading a newspaper. Somebody had brought him. Baby. You were wonderful, and we wowed him. We're in the money. Oh boy, am I tired. I feel more tired than I've ever felt in my life. Nervous train, I guess, h let down?
Speaker 7: Look here in the paper.
Speaker 4: Who cares about the paper money?
Speaker 7: It's Johnny's dead? Huh he's dead. He drown himself, and like train this afternoon.
Speaker 4: This afternoon. Then that note it wasn't Johnny.
Speaker 7: Oh look at it. You can't blame yourself.
Speaker 4: Oh no, no, no, no, no, of course not. But I think I know who to blame. What do you mean, nothing, nothing, Eddie.
Speaker 7: Wouldn't you lie down and rest for a few minutes? You look worn out?
Speaker 4: I am, I I feel dead.
Speaker 7: Here. Let me take off your coat.
Speaker 4: I'll be careful. I don't know. Funny thing. Well, I was waving the baton on the chat. I felt something of sharp pain there in my back, like a pin of something stuck in me.
Speaker 7: I don't feel anything there now. Maybe it'd slipped down. I don't know, couldn't have been much there. Now, you just lie down, you'll feel better at a few minutes. You've been working too hard. You should relax now, maybe take a few days off. Hey, Annie, look here, where did this come from? It's a little doll that was lying on the dressing table. Why Annie, it looks just like you.
Speaker 5: Let me see.
Speaker 7: That's funny. Look there in the bag. There's a little pin sticking in the bag.
Speaker 4: Yes, that's right where I felt the pain that started it. The next day, I had a back ache. Later there was a numbness that spread to my shoulders, arms, legs. I felt tired all the time, listless dead. I began to lose weight. I couldn't get Johnny's stats out of my mind. He'd introduced me to them, vouched for me, and he'd committed suicide. He knew he hadn't waited. I decided to get out of New Orleans. I went to New York playing the chant. Of course I had to. It was my biggest asset now. But nothing changed. I was losing weight from a husky two hundred down to one hundred and sixty. I couldn't sleep. Maybe if I put a notion between I took an offer in London, toward the continent away a year. I was an international hit, now the biggest attraction in music, but I was down to one hundred and ten, dying on my feet. The doctors couldn't figure it out. Reynolds in London.
Speaker 6: Told me, you're as normal, mister Block, as anyone I ever examined. You're so well balanced that you haven't even got that extra little touch of imagination most actors and musicians have.
Speaker 4: I guess that's true, doctor, I'm just mediocre, And yet you might say my success is killing me.
Speaker 7: And so.
Speaker 4: After two years, I finally realized there was no use. I came back back to New Orleans and back to the dark alleyway down near Congo Square. I could just barely drag myself along, but I had to see Papa Benjamin. I slowly climbed the stage up to that lowesome door and I went in.
Speaker 5: There he was.
Speaker 4: Papa Benjamin, staring at me from the bed as if he'd been expecting me, And then he started, at last, take that churse off me, give me my life I'll do anything. Anything you say.
Speaker 11: Been there cannot be undone. You think spirits of earth? By what you what forgiveness means in.
Speaker 4: A sat for me? Then you brought it about. Here's money. I'll give you twice as much. All I learned, all I have a hope to arn.
Speaker 11: You have fouled you by a death has been on you from that night. All over the world in the air above you have mock spirit with the chance that summons him.
Speaker 4: And please, please, here's a gun. Kill me now and be done that. I can't stand anymore. All you have to do is shoot. I'll write a note, sign it that I did it myself.
Speaker 5: It will come what different?
Speaker 7: Slow? Oh slow, no, no, no, I.
Speaker 5: Can't stand that. I won't. I won't.
Speaker 4: Maybe if I kill you, maybe then the spello will be broken. Yeah, that's what I'll kill you know, And that's all, Commissioner, and I came here the police station. You know the rest?
Speaker 5: Well, all right, mister Blogg.
Speaker 4: Don't believe me, do you? Yes?
Speaker 5: I believe you.
Speaker 8: Not about the curse. Of course, that was your own mind. They planted the suggestion in your mind. You did the rest. But it's plain that you killed in self defense. Crazy kind of self defense. But I think we can manage it. We'll try.
Speaker 4: The commissioner managed it all right. How is almost a story in itself. How a detective with a molarge false face posed as Papa Benjamin and called a voodoo clan together and into a trap. How they collected the evidence that proved my story, and how they sent most of that voodoo bunch to jail. My name wasn't even connected with the king. So now I'm free. I'm living again. I've gained weight, The tiredness and the numbness is gone. I took a nice vacation. I went to Bermuda, relaxed and had fun. Now I'm back in New Orleans at Maxims, and the whole thing is forgotten. We're opening tonight and the place is packed. Everybody's coming to hear the chant, Eddie Block and the chant. We're on our way now. Nothing can tough us.
Speaker 5: And now, ladies and.
Speaker 9: Gentlemen, we welcome back on his triumphal return, Eddie Block and his chips playing for you, the one and only Hoodo Chat.
Speaker 5: Look at him, Judy, they're reading it up. Yeah, that's the matter.
Speaker 7: I was hoping I'd never hear this thing again.
Speaker 5: What do you mean it's your trademark? Your wasn't Eddie.
Speaker 7: I tried to persuade him not to do it, and he wouldn't listen.
Speaker 3: Why you want imagining all that voodoos?
Speaker 4: I don't know.
Speaker 7: It was all in his mind and it nearly killed him. I don't think you can put it out of your mind if it gets so lazy when ed he plays it again. Wait, wait a minute, look at Eddie. There's something wrong, but he.
Speaker 1: He's staggering, Eddie, Eddie, shooty, I'll wait, Okay, let me pick him up.
Speaker 5: He's probably just fainted from this.
Speaker 10: No, leave him alone.
Speaker 3: He's dead.
Speaker 7: I guess Papa Benjamin won after all.
Speaker 2: Escape is produced and directed by William N. Robson and Tonight Brought You Papa Benjamin by William Irish, adapted for radio by John Duncle, with Frank Lovejoy as Eddie Block, Louis van Rutten as Papa Benjamin, Harry Bartel as the police commissioner, and John Banks as Judy. Music was conceived and conducted by cy Fure.
Speaker 1: Next Week, you were speeding through the night on the Eastern Bull Express. You're alone and unarmed. And suddenly you realize that your life is endangered, that somewhere on the train are deadly killers from whom you must escape.
Speaker 2: Next week we escape with Harold Lamb's exciting adventure story Three Good Witnesses. Good Night, then until the same time next week, when again we offer you escape. It's the CBS, the Columbia Broadcasting System.