Speaker 1: Oh my favorite song.
Speaker 2: This is so nice.
Speaker 1: I can't remember when I felt this young. WHOA, I really can't see spot And if I have the next dance, don't Nick god brother?
Speaker 3: Aren't you new? Need for the bloom gasket? Jurney, He'll have it back in one piece. Welcome to the latest Guy on Springfield here on the fourth figure. To get a network guy on springfood means that we go back and revisit a classic episode once a month. And since it's Valentine's Day as was approaching as we record this, we threw out to the patients became free love based options and they selected this one. It is Lady Bouvie's lover.
Speaker 4: I'm Dando and I'm Guy. And because we are doing a guy on Springfield, the following has happen.
Speaker 3: That's quite enough of that.
Speaker 4: Just as Homer got a special cake to Ruin, thank you, Marge, Daniel has given me a special episode to Ruin. We had a couple of options. We threw a couple of a few options out.
Speaker 3: Here on the Fast Laying with Jacques from season one and I'm with Cupid with Mangula. There's seven days of Valentine's with poor Mangula, which you guest starred out in John. Another great episode from season ten. I want to say one of the better post Golden era. I still say Season ten's Golden era episodes of the Simpsons, but they went with this one. He Lady b VI's Lover. Now, I'm going to throw this out there. Lady by Vere's Lover is an episode that I rarely watch as a kid. I never really it just didn't appeal to me, and I think people revisiting it now I understand why you're an old person because I'm getting older. Yeah, and I'm finding it more and more relatable. And what I love about this one is it's a love story. Yes, but it's not your typical love story, is it.
Speaker 4: Well, no, it's not. It's more an infatuation story than a romance story.
Speaker 3: Yeah. Well he's infatuated with her. Yeah, she's not infatuated with I think she likes.
Speaker 4: The tends to's catching a few eyes.
Speaker 3: She is indeed. Ye, Apparently when she was younger, she all the guy. All the guys were ogling her, not the friends. And that's one of my trivia questions. Those three ladies did you see to pick up on the names. I did not. I'm gonna get you with that trivia question a little bit later on in the show. But I've just got here. It's a really interesting love story in that there's two people here, older people, elderly people who probably thought that their chances of love had probably passed them. They didn't expect to find this spark again. They've just sort of sort of conceded this is life now, probably going to be lonely forever. Let's just see out our days. Marge Into intervenes. She says, you guys should hang out. I don't think she really Her intention wasn't for them to fall in love. Her intention was for them to just start companions companionship. She wasn't sort of put off by the fact that their own love, which I thought was kind of odd. It's her mum and Homer's dad. It's a little weird. I agree with him. I have are going brother and sister that happened, So I've always thought it was odd that marj wasn't bothered by the fact that they're in love. But hey, as she says, who are we to say they can't fall in love? Well that's true.
Speaker 4: Yes, Look I will throw in a bit of my patented reality television commentary here, because when Lou and I watching ninety Day Fiance, and that's many variations, one show we were really big on was The Golden Bachelor and Golden Bachelorette. I'm sure I've mentioned this in the past, and I initially went and going, oh God, I'm going to scoff at this NonStop. It's just going to be ridiculous, and look at these silly old people trying to find romance again. And you know, one out of three episodes, I'm like, that's really nice because you've got a lot of people who are in their sixties, seventies or whatever saying, yeah, I was in love or I lost my partner or life happened or whatever. I never thought it would happen to me again. I wanted to happen to me again. It was one of the best things about being alive. It's not restricted to the younger folk. No, It's good for anybody. And you know, I can give you a real revitalization, which gives this episode a bit of an emotional core beyond its many many good gags.
Speaker 3: I know an elderly couple who clearly aren't happy, right and it's not being low it No, it's not. And we've spoken to the woman in the relationship and she and she has said, I think she's maybe early seventies. And she has said, I don't want to leave him because I'm never going to find anybody else. I'd rather have this than be lonely. And I thought that's really sad.
Speaker 4: Well, the saddest thing is when you are lonely in a bad relationship, there is it is preferable to be alone than to be lonely in a relationship. Being lonely in a relationship is way, way worse.
Speaker 3: Yeah, can imagine now, Jacqueline Bouvier, Right, I watched this got me crazy. She's a heel. She absolutely digged over ground bar here right. He takes it to the swing dance Mister Burns just starts dance with it. She just leaves him and leaves with Burns doesn't say goodbye to Grandpa, just pretends he doesn't exist anymore. Absolutely, ill, turn, this could.
Speaker 4: Be the way things went back in there in their courting day. And that's just learned behavior.
Speaker 3: In fact, she didn't even say goodbye, or he's just out there by himself. She's just off in the car with him.
Speaker 4: My buddy, saydy, Steve has to saying, you gotta dance with the one that brung you.
Speaker 3: That's a good point.
Speaker 4: Yeah, she's kind of he'll behavior it is bad behavior. At the same time, Clock's a ticken.
Speaker 3: I was gonna say, I also understand it because as she puts it, what's the what she says, he's too much of a fuss pot. Grandpa, Right when you Clocks ticken, as your days are numbered, you don't want to be hanging out with a fuss pot. You want to hang out with someone who can provide money. She's maybe she's also playing Maybe she's also playing the long game, going Okay, if I marry Burns, I can get half his ship and I can give it to March and Homer. Well, Homer is very much on board that. I wonder see they never played that up. I thought that would have been an interesting plot line of when Marge's saying he's a bad guy, blah blah blah. She can go, yes, but imagine what you could do with the money if I get some with the money. But then that would really pay her negative life, because you should be doing it for love, not for money.
Speaker 4: True, and I think it would detract from I guess the main engine of the story.
Speaker 3: That she'd not say he can provide, though at one point.
Speaker 4: It's something along those line, says something about him provider, and you know, but Homer has that thing about something's money's money, money, money's money, money, money, money, money.
Speaker 3: Many money, money money money. Would you think of the b plot with Bart and the animation style that was just kind of there, It was there, it happened.
Speaker 4: Probably one of the few times that I've sympathized with comic book guy or been like on the same page comic book so good.
Speaker 3: One of my favorite moments was one of his quotes, Yeah that's.
Speaker 4: Can we just a repeater now? Because it's great. It's like, this is the This probably would have been a trivia question, maybe one of your trivia questions. It's as snagger. I've forgotten who it was drawn by. Heisler, because that's right. It was worth something something. This is a drum bay nobody. It is worth nothing.
Speaker 3: Something. Sorry.
Speaker 4: I sort of steered into Gene Wilder as Willy Wonga. There you get nothing but good day, good days talking about Hilton's Oh the babyface keeps guessing.
Speaker 3: The Blee plot is there.
Speaker 4: It's fine co written by a man, Bill Oakley, I believe.
Speaker 3: Yeah, Josh and Bill. Yeah, yeah, good.
Speaker 4: Sturdy storytelling in that there were a few sort of plot things left dangling, plot threads left angling. Bar has bought this animation self, what three hundred and fifty bucks? Yeah, he's able to get that three hundred and fifty bucks back of mister Burns. Everything works out, not that you're a notorious nitpicky. You'd probably be going, what about the thing I cost?
Speaker 3: You know, and you'd be just angry for thee at least at least they wrap up the story there. Yeah, yeah, you get the feeling they're like good mechanics, Josh and Bill.
Speaker 4: Why Buddy's Josh and Bill friends at the point. That's why they went on to become showrunners.
Speaker 3: That's correct.
Speaker 4: Yeah, they're looking at everything going, look, we don't want to send this out. We don't want to send us out of the workshop with one of the wheels about fall off or.
Speaker 3: Something like that.
Speaker 4: Just make sure everything's tightened up. And yeah, juster and they did a good job.
Speaker 3: Back when the writers ask questions, going, but what about that? Shouldn't that have an ending. Now it's just goes well, it's twenty one minute mark. Let's go. I'm gonna go home and see my kids. Yeah, fam the bull chin.
Speaker 4: We might have been talking about something off camera or someone, but.
Speaker 3: Even that's that almost feels like the sins meant would we be talking about going? Would we be talking you? Wow? I went to show guy, a local comedian, how bad the stand up was, and it must have been so bad that they've removed it. These comedians removed it from his page.
Speaker 4: They're just getting toxic in the toxic shit in the commensation.
Speaker 3: The old wife, you know, you're just just a mild to me anyway. Pretty sure she's probably keeping the household in check.
Speaker 4: My friend, I imagine out on the road or you know, in the jungle and asking him to get me out of here.
Speaker 3: You got to know who it is by now you're doing. I want to say, though so written by Bill and Josh. If you had have told me that Lady Bouvier's Lover was written by Conan O'Brien, I probably would have believed you. It feels wacky enough. It feels he likes If you know Conan, you know he loves old timey stuff. Right, Oh yeah, time baseball baseball. Oh my god, one of the funniest thing's ever done. Old time. So he loves something. Maybe think this is something that ConA may have pitched even I don't know, but season six he'd been gone for two years. Maybe not, but this feels like something that Conan would love to write.
Speaker 4: Well, if we're going to be talking, we'll jump in the favorite moments of the moment. But yeah, in a moment, but certainly one of my Grandpa Simpson using his sort of old timey stuff do either express Oh I'm in love and I'm going to entertain you. Oh I'm sad and I'm gonna wander And the bluid lawyer just coming out.
Speaker 5: He represent the estate of Charles jab You're going to start doing this immediately. The Henchman are the best, marvelous.
Speaker 3: Loved it.
Speaker 4: But yeah, I mean that feels very Cone as well. And yeah, there's a lot of there's some weirdness in here. I can't tell if the play it cool song is like it feels like a Twin Peaks thing.
Speaker 3: It does, doesn't it. Yeah, I've got a friend, one of my close friends, James Crabtree, Coagy, but we're calling Crab right, Uncle Crab, as the kids call him. One of his favorite Simpsons songs is to play It Cool, And I've always just gone, really, I watched it hit. I'm just like, it's just it's weird to me. I don't know, it's just it's something about it.
Speaker 4: It's it's not necessarily funny, but it's but it's sort of funny.
Speaker 3: But I like. What I do like about it is how it's this nice seeing Homer and Grandpa bonding over oh.
Speaker 4: Yeah, because it's something that the show did really well during its its best phases. I mean, they would have Grandpa be God, he's annoying and obnoxious, but yeah, occasionally episodes where they would go on the road or Grandpa would be like a snake, or they'll say salesman or something like that. I just found those really entertaining.
Speaker 3: Grandpa versus sexual inadequacy when he's got the sex Tony.
Speaker 4: All the stuff with the ton teen and the fighting hellfish or whatever they're flying helfish, yeah, flying healthish.
Speaker 3: Yeah. Yeah. So in regards to this episode, I do like that Homer and Grandpa he comes across as pathetics, not the word sort of the friend zoned, but he also isn't pathetic, where a lot of the time now Grandpa is just the guy they closed the blind on, or they don't want him around here, I don't think to hear I remember. But he's also not a pushover either.
Speaker 4: No, I mean, first of all, he's sort of like a viable romantic partner or whatever. I liked mister Burns in this episode. I liked that he sort of had a bit of vim and vigor to him.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, because.
Speaker 4: I mean, of course they had the bit niwcaps are filling up with fluid and all that kind of stuff. But at the same time, he's like, you probably were a bit of a shark back in the day, you know, and you go to the Huntry Dance or whatever, you would probably be snaking in on some on some other dudes.
Speaker 3: Girl. Oh, this is definitely it's right up, mister Burns's allie.
Speaker 4: Some of my favorite bits, some of my green highlighted bits, are just Burns.
Speaker 3: That's get into favorite moments. Let's do it, because.
Speaker 4: It's like, as I say, I don't make the whole plane out of the black box. Well, this whole episode is my favorite moment my favorite. I've already blame on them when I said I made a special cake. Thea to ruin very relatable.
Speaker 3: It's not my Gaggy's birthday, but I just love it. It's gonna let us all over, which is this garbage case but burns well.
Speaker 4: First of all, when he muscles in at the dance, no need for the bloom gasket, Charlie yea lord.
Speaker 3: And it just makes Graandpather looks like such a simp.
Speaker 4: But then when when he's gone over to the Simpson household and bar guns. And later Grandma really likes it when when her boyfriend's give me money, beat it pee wee. Baby gets nothing good. So I love that A love first appearance of baby Gerald, Yeah, I think so.
Speaker 3: Yeah. I remember getting a huge what of heres in this episode.
Speaker 4: I remember getting a huge kick out of the first time. It's all baby, just that I just want that it scrunches the juke's box. That Maggie doesn't get along with other babies.
Speaker 3: Yeah, she's just got a little bit side.
Speaker 4: I love the guy's voice. I can't remember his name for the.
Speaker 3: Life of me.
Speaker 4: But everyone's getting in the bus. They need to get hurry each mouth like a bls. That's just the old Jewish guy I forgotten. But and speaking of my favorite voices, I guess it's wise guy who's delivering the.
Speaker 3: It's actually wise, but it's a wise guy voice.
Speaker 4: Yeah, if you do not open the door, can I give you your special delivery?
Speaker 3: I'm easily please just put things in a funny voice. And why south Park it's so successful? Oh god, we can be as high as we like.
Speaker 4: We can talk about your underlying themes and emotional and all that bullshit, just saying say a funny line of funny boys, I'm yours for life.
Speaker 3: B I love that it's funny. They both just seem so lonely. That is funny.
Speaker 4: And by the way, speaking funny voices, this is a line that I use all the time. And maybe this was the first time was done. But I think when they're pushing the cell on the animation cell on TV something not a guarantee.
Speaker 3: Roger My, as you, I guarantee this will only grow up in value. Not a guarantee, fantast Did you used to watch those infomercial shows late at night? I used to sometimes watch it and going I could I have vivid memories of it being I was a huge wrestling fan growing up. Wwfs all about WWF ninety nine blah blah blah, and so everyone's selling WWF merchandise and I was like, where's mum's credit card? I want this Mike Foley clock. But sometimes I watch it, going, I have the money for this, but I like to live like Karrosen, just wonder what would it be like to have that clock on the wall. Did you ever watch the infomercial stuff? Oh, certainly. Yeah.
Speaker 4: At the same time, I think I realized this looks kind of like crap, and.
Speaker 3: It used to be on the morning shows going this new vacuum can suck anything. Yeah, and anything.
Speaker 4: I think I want to pierce the matrix and going, you guys, it's always like looking at the music video for Soundguard's Black Hole Sun. You know where the voices just coming. Yeah, yes, terrifying. Yeah, the voices, just the faces just expand, like turn into joker smiles or whatever. That's always what those people look like to me, even though they look like normal people, but they were just so enthusiastic. Shamwell guy, shed shamwew or whatever. It's like, I don't trust you not to be trusted.
Speaker 3: Yes, indeed, not a guarantee. Now, Also, there's another line that I use, I reckon every day of my life, and I could not I had actually had no idea it came from the Simpsons. I'm gonna say it came from the Simpsons. Here at the end of the episode, when she says I don't want to be of either, and Grandpa says, hot diggity dam that's good enough for me. Hot diggnity dam is something I say every day of my life. I see something going, what diggity damn? It's a fun thing to say, hot diggity damn. It certainly is. Yeah, did the Simpsons pen that? Is that something that can be find? Hot diggity am It feels like an old time.
Speaker 4: It feels like something that I would have said it is the.
Speaker 3: First time I heard it would have definitely been from the Simpsons. Hones said, the Simpsons created it, but I got it from the Simpsons.
Speaker 4: Well, yeah, I mean, and that's what sets these kind of episodes apart. I mean, they're lifting stuff from actual real life, but a long time.
Speaker 3: There's lots of homages to films and whatnot. There's a lot of pop culture references the graduates, one of them.
Speaker 4: Graduate is what we end up with absolutely on the bus.
Speaker 3: Yeahs. That's what's great about is as a kid, we've said his time and time again. You know it's something, but you don't know what it is. Yeah, and it makes you go out and research it. That's right.
Speaker 4: And that's one of the great gifts that the Simpsons gives you. The pop culture gives you, I mean knowing what inspired it and what it inspires as well that it's all part of a continuum.
Speaker 3: I think I always say the biggest one for me. I'm not saying it's the best parody the Simpsons ever done, but one of the most iconic ones is Homer rolling down the stairs ready is at the Lost Arc of the ball. I just think that visual there all the kids who might have sit Indiana Jones, you look at this and you go that's something. Oh yeah, yeah, I mean.
Speaker 4: I've said me, I'm pretty sure so many many times on our podcast.
Speaker 3: Now.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I was absolutely Star Wars freak when I was a kid. Yeah, when the first Stars came out in seventy seven, I want to know everything about not just about you know, everything that was happening in Star Wars.
Speaker 3: Butts, Yeah, how'd he come up with this? You know? And that's when like that, how did he blop a death Star? Well? No, not even that. It was like, how did you come up?
Speaker 4: Where's this story coming from? Did you just make this up out of his head? And it's like, oh no, I was really into a cure cool Star and Flash Gordon and all that kind of stuff. Well, I didn't even think about dudes. You learn about Flash Gordon, you learn about a Curra Sco. He's the guy who made Seven Samurai one of the best bucking movies ever made. It's like, oh, everything's connected, and you know someone's gonna be garbage, but someone's.
Speaker 3: Going to be great.
Speaker 4: Love it, And that's what the sentence did its best.
Speaker 3: Yes, one hundred percent. Yeah. Now my final thing that I like, so Smith is getting a little bit of a heel because he's jealous. He loves mister Burns, right, he has some great lines. So when mister Burns says, who are these people? And Cory it's Fred Finnstone and he's lovely wife Willman and he gives them the chocolates, and I was, yeah, the.
Speaker 4: Real lovely bitchy line read from Mary. I don't know, sir having sex with that old woman.
Speaker 3: Such a bitch. I thought that was great.
Speaker 4: Yeah, look, more favorite moments are going to come up throughout discussion.
Speaker 3: Of this episode. Let's get into trivia, shall we all? List to? That four figure discount is brought to you by our incredible supporters on Patreon. With your support, we're able to hire editors, purchase new equipment, and everything else that goes into producing top quality shows. Each and every week, our supporters get early in add free access to every show, new episodes of Tales of Futurama, Talking Sciefild, and Speaking of the Heel each month, as well as access to exclusive Facebook and disc communities. So go ahead and support the show today for as little as just one dollar at patreon dot com slash four fing a discount. Next question, you there eating the paste? You asked me your first question?
Speaker 4: Sure? According to Grandpa, if you put it in Maggie's ear, it'll stop them shakes.
Speaker 3: What is it? I didn't write, I just wrote in my notes. It's just bickering over how to solve the shakes. What was medication?
Speaker 4: The medication was Lister's carbolic ungeent Okay.
Speaker 3: My first question for you is where does Jacqueline live?
Speaker 4: Is she at the Hell Roach Apartments?
Speaker 3: Yes?
Speaker 4: Yes, because of retirement living in the cemetery discressed. Hal Roach was apparently a producer of old timey movies. I don't know if he did like might have did the Three Stooges, or maybe like the Keystone Cops or.
Speaker 3: Like really old Let's google it, shall we That's one thing I forgot to go. Oh yeah, I keep forgetting.
Speaker 4: We've got all the knowledge of the world and beyond here we go.
Speaker 3: Let's get on his wiki. He was an American film and television producer, director of screener who was the founder of the names cal Wrote Studios. Roach was active in the industry from the tens to the nineties. He's now for producing a number of early media franchise successes, including Laurel and Hardy, Harold Lloyd's early films, the films I've Entertained, a Charlie Chase, and Our Gang short film comedy series. Oh okay, yeah Laurel, real old school stuff. Yeah, because you've watched this guy, I'm like, how alchu is going to be? Somebody look it up later? Did look it up? Later look it up now though this is late we got there in the end. I did look it up later.
Speaker 4: Oh your next question, you you've got me thinking about now an action movie franchise called John Wiki.
Speaker 3: I'd watch.
Speaker 4: It doesn't justsume people. He just looks up trivia. I had how roach apartments as a as a trivia question. So, hey, how many itching scratches cells are available? According to the commercial?
Speaker 3: Oh yeah, I think that's one of my questions or way that I was put in my notes. It's eight hundred thousand, hundred thousand, yes, all right. My next question for you is who were the friends? And he said you didn't know this. I said, my friends were always jealous of the gold looking at me?
Speaker 4: Oh the ones who went crazy? Yeah, yeah, Zelda Fitzgerald, Yeah, Sylvia Plath. And who's the middle one, little Sylvia Path, Yes, little Silvia Plath. Francis Farmer.
Speaker 3: Yeah, Okay. Do you know so Zelda Fitzgerald author, socialized wife of F. Scott Fitzgerald, author of The Great Gaspee. Correct. She suffered from schizophrenia and was sent to a sanatorium for the rest of her life, and she passed away when a sanatorium caught on fire Francis Farmer. She had a tough beat for Zelda. Francis Farmer, actress in the nineteen thirties to forty, suffered from schizophrenia and was also sent to a sanatorium had a lobotomy.
Speaker 4: Yes, there's a movie called Francis starring Jessica Lang about it and.
Speaker 3: I believe worth watching it? Yeah yeah, yeah.
Speaker 4: But also Nirvana did a song with Francis Farmer, we will have her Revenge on Seattle.
Speaker 3: Yeah, there we go. Love that song.
Speaker 4: What did we just talk about? Everything's connected?
Speaker 3: Author and poet from nineteen fifty sixties. She wrote The bel Jar suffered from clinical depression for her whole life, committed suicide in her early thirties by carbon monoxi poisoning by putting her head in the oven.
Speaker 4: I'm going to look something up real quick, Yeah, because I think you'll appreciate this. Silvere Plaths marriage to another writer. His name was Ted Hughes. Ted Hughes wrote a book called The Iron Man. The Iron Man was turned in a movie called The Iron Giant.
Speaker 3: Who was watching us to this show? He sure is? I Actually he's looking skyward and saying Superman, now down. I'm going to start crying. So I put the Iron Giin off for the kids the other day, right, and I put it on and they go, oh, we thought it was real, not cartoon. I was like, you sit there and fucking watch it, and and they elliot watched it. Holly, she has bored. She can't say still for more than an hour, but Allie wash the whole thing. And he cried, well, be because of human being. And Ali goes, what happens the number two? I'm like, there wasn't number two? And he's like, what what do you mean? The cliff faker ending.
Speaker 4: Use your imagination, kid, And also it gives you just nothing. Bits of the iron Gina coming back together and they're going to go back to see Hogarth.
Speaker 3: You know what I said to him? I said, what do you think happened there? You go, that's good parenting? Dano, Yes, but isn't it? Isn't it fun?
Speaker 4: We talked about so we played and get a false of vagine.
Speaker 3: Yeah, isn't that good? Always good to seek? I enjoined into anything that's correct. That's what she said, all right, next to your question for you.
Speaker 4: From you, it's called the zinc midget. How many women have said no to mister Burns.
Speaker 3: One hundred and thirty, one hundred and thirty. She's the first one to say no since he's become a billionaire. Correct, yes, what wasn't he always rich? It doesn't matter.
Speaker 4: I imagine he's one of these types like ro Deck, like Elon Mask who said yeah, I'm a self made billionaire a trillion where it's like, yeah, your parents are on an Emerald mine.
Speaker 3: You're doing all right? Yeah? Self made?
Speaker 4: What?
Speaker 3: And my final question for you was the how many copies of the sale were there? I'm going to make another one up. What was the name of the network that trum mcclaw was selling the sales on.
Speaker 4: Was it IBN?
Speaker 3: Yes? What does it stand for? It was the Impulse Buying Network. I was going to answer, Oh, sorry, well you look it looks baffled default mode. Do we have talking for one more question? Do it for you? Okay?
Speaker 4: Then what what? There was a dance marathon on the community center, but what was on the next day, Cat's pathon cat'spathon?
Speaker 3: Indeed, all right, it's time now for some shout outs of our lovely stonecutters. Yes, it's time for our stonecutter shoutout time for our review of Lady Bouviez love us starting with the incredible KDG with her one hundred dollars support. Thank you so much, KDG. We all love you very dearly. Here at the four figured Discant Network, we've got a very special shout out to hire pudd In Harley. We've forgotten to give you a shout out for the last month. We do apologize, but there you go. You've got your shout out. Also shout outs to our man Andrews Swanyemik Swan keeping the lights on and keeping things running here at our four figure Discant discord. The link for that is a description of this podcast. If you have not joined the discord yet, you can do so and get access to exclusive channels and servers and whatnot on the discord by being a support of ours on Patreon. But there is a free free thread on there as well, but there is also bonus Patron exclusive threads on there. We banter back and forth. Now, of course, need to give shoutouts to our twenty dollars Patreon producers. We have got Paul Warner, Isabella Murphy, Jonathan Rossi, Rach Beasley, Stephen Roberts, Sewan Devi, Pete Anderson, Timothy Belson, Andrew Davis, Ryan Dunlap, Kevin Dental, Planned Flood, Shannon Hofer, Bala winder Bank, Jack McFadden, Heath Appleby Adrick McLeod Lewis Cavanaugh, March eleven, Rhys Roberts, Ginger and Pigle, Preston Murray, Tala Enriguez, Jake Mersado, Declan Foenix, Brian McCoy, Josh Hellyer, Logan b James Sheppard, Joe Ridden, Sect, Dave Pretzels McNally, Glenn Gomez, Gavin Lane, Damie Miller, and Charlie Joe. Thank you so much, guys for all of his support. He had the four Finger Discount Network kept the lights on here. We love those people, don't.
Speaker 4: We not a guarantee? Our love is not a guarantee. No, of course we love them all right.
Speaker 3: Let's get into our review of Lady Bouvier's Love Original edite, May twelfth, nineteen ninety four, Written and directed by Bill Oakle Josh Weinstein, directed by Wes Archer. Chipball Gag. I will not retransmit without the express permission of Major League Baseball and the Cash Gag. The Family runs to the couch, but when they get there, they break and shadow like glass and say, this little helper enters the room confused as to where the family have gone. Reminds me of those these dog prank videos with the blankets. Have you seen those? Oh? Yeah, so good, so good. It's the it's the first initial. It's like.
Speaker 4: One expects it from monkeys, and we're gonna get some primate We're gonna get some primate action.
Speaker 3: Just a second.
Speaker 4: I love the one there like some guy shows in a rangon tan.
Speaker 3: A car trick baffled, isn't it? Yeah?
Speaker 4: And the car and the range jam is like it's like me watching David Blaine. Yeah yeah, it literally looks in him going what.
Speaker 3: My god?
Speaker 4: We really do share so much about DNA with our lovely primate friends. Mel Yeah, I start, he got chimped.
Speaker 3: It's across the across the clan show he's been told he is to conduct the monkey Town Philharmonic, and then it's get attacked. Now. What I loved about this se here is we're gonna have full, real in depth I think the most in depth look at the classic Simpsons Rumpest room. Now this Rumpest Room very rarely appears. No one really knows where it is in the house, but it just appears every now and again. Right, it's from the episode. I think the first time it appeared was the episode three Men in comic Books. Iold's got three and to come up with the one with the and they're fighting in the treehouse at the end, right, Marge says Homer, it's really coming down out there. Do you want check on the boys? And we see the lightning get any seem more strangling each other and home and just goes they're fine. He's watching TV on a bean bag in this rumper's room. They're watching TV in this rumpers room. I thought, how random that it's not in the land, where's in this rumpers room? And we see here it's clearly to me the rubbers room feels like it's the kid's toy room because they're sitting on bean bags. You've got toys on the floor, you've got to crust the clown post on the wall, you've got to dart board in there. It's one of the great mysteries of the Simpsons, the Simpsons rumpers room. But that's where they're watching the show.
Speaker 4: Okay, well, feature more rubbers room, lease the rumper's room cut.
Speaker 3: Yes, I want, I want the rubbers room. Place it completely with bandb bags. But they're watching it, and Marge says that Homie didn't do a very good job of icing Maggie's cake like Gggy's birthday blah blah blah. He starts eating the letters and it starts eating the more she made him the other cake. Now, this cake is very famous now in Simpson's meme groups because people now go out of their way to make their loved ones or their friends cakes just like this so they can ruin it. Excellent. Yeah, that's thoughtful. I was at a birthday party on Sunday from my grandma, the kid's great grandma. She turned eighty four, I believe. And I'm watching it and all the kids got the take turns of blonde, the candles out. There's a few grandkids, and I'm watching his going what a random ritual we have where we like people spit on the cake before we eat it. Oh god, Yeah, I wouldn't let someone touch my foot before I want to use my food, but yet we let people spit all over the like literally spit it all over the cake and then we all eat it. We're such, We're just a weird species.
Speaker 4: You look at anything long and I was like, why do we do it that way?
Speaker 3: Why?
Speaker 4: Why when Christmas time comes around we put a tree inside?
Speaker 3: Why do you do it because they told us to?
Speaker 4: Why eggs? Yeah, yeah, there's a reason. I'm sure it's something to do.
Speaker 3: With the There is a reason. But why that chocolate? Because chocolate DELI. Well, I've already bought some chocolate. You bought chocolate streggs that I have not for me. I love you get them. These are something in the plastic cartons now it's cardboard boxes, but they're the Cabri eggs and small, not not small, but like average size. Look look on normal sized egg. There there's enough chocolate in there, but it's also thin enough that just melts in your mouth. You're you're not biting it as sort of as you put in your mouth and just dissolves in it. Delicious, delicious. If we're talking easter treats, yeah, what's your Easter treat? Your easter goat? Well, I'm a hot Cross bun guy. But here's the thing. You do love your hot Cross buns, don't you here's.
Speaker 4: The thing though, as we've always said, I'm a slat vavariance. You'll get like he's an apple and cinnamon one, or oh, we're doing the Kara milk one.
Speaker 3: I've just heard that they're.
Speaker 4: Doing Charra milk hot Cross bun get.
Speaker 3: The from Woolies. They're the only ones that do it. Paleface guy. No, he's a cold, isn't he? That's cold? He's I'll get you woollies.
Speaker 4: They're also doing like a Cinnabon version. They're gonna be out in March. And I'm like, I like all of these, but at the same time, if I have a four pack of various hot grop but I'm gonna eat all of them. So what what my plan is. I will get a bag of each, I will take one out of each, put them in the fridge.
Speaker 3: Or the freezer. I'll give it.
Speaker 4: I'll give the rest of you in the in the kids. But I will have one Sinnabon flavored, one caramel flavored, one regular, and one chocolatey one. Is like, okay, that'll be fine. I'll have like one a week leading up to Easter. That'll be my thing. You should start I should not do that.
Speaker 3: You know, you should start like an Instagram account where it's just you reviewing hot cross buns. Maybe start a YouTube channel, Yeah, why not. What's the name for a Hot Cross bun review channel. It's very very seasonal. You can get meny viewers in August hot cross puns, suns out, buns out, Suns out, buns out. Yeah, I'll watch that. Welcome to the Bunk Club. Yeah, not bad. You're just trying to rhyme wads of gun pretty much. This is this is the this is the wellspring of creativity. But we're here to review Lady v Love, of course, aren't we.
Speaker 4: We took about her grosboons.
Speaker 3: Hama's ruined the cake. He's got a cake to ruin. And this is where Patty and Selma and Jacqueline arrive.
Speaker 6: Whoa everyone except Homer.
Speaker 4: Happy birthday, granddaughter, Marge.
Speaker 6: I think that's your father in law across the street.
Speaker 2: Happy birthday.
Speaker 3: Very much showcase for Julie, in particularly the opening act of this episode where she's doing all for livarians. Yeah, because they all sound similar, but they also sound very distinct in their own way as well.
Speaker 4: Oh yeah, I mean Jacqueline Bouvier and yeah, Mama Boovia sounds very much like an old version of them.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and Patty and Salma sound like a smoker's version of Marge. Yes, yeah, Julie cabinet amazing, that voice was this time was great. That's originally so. Then this is where Grandpa arrives as well, but he goes to the wrong houses across the street. He's very sweet in this episode. Grandpa. He's never been or anything like that. He's just just an old man, an old fuss spot. Yeah. So they Marge brings in Maggie here wearing her first dress, being all cute, and Patty and someone I want to hang on a Christmas tree forever? What smells? Oh yeah, I'll been there.
Speaker 4: Back into the Have you ever had that happen where you know you've dressed up well who among us? But you know you dress up one of the kids like, oh look at you're looking.
Speaker 3: Oh you just shut yourself, don't you? Yeah, or they get the poof face on you go, oh no, the poms, the poof face, you poof faces.
Speaker 4: I'm pretty sure I think it's kind of self explained.
Speaker 3: Can you envision a poof face? Though? What do you think your poof faces. Does do we as a doss do we still have poof faces? Or is it just I feel like now we'll say you because we have to really concentrate to Pooh. Now it's just usually browsing on our phones. It's just happening.
Speaker 4: Oh yeah, it looks like A'm moving to that room. Yeah yeah, or you're you know, you're out for a walk or something.
Speaker 3: I've had this happen with the Pooh waddle. Oh yeah, And you're kind of like.
Speaker 4: You've got to pause and make it look like, oh no, I've just gotta gotta stretch out my calf. Yea up there, get back up there, and then you're really yeah, but you can't make it look like that's what's happening.
Speaker 3: So it's like Harry Dog.
Speaker 4: Ah, I've got a Charlie horse and the fire stretch it out, look good?
Speaker 3: Five minutes from home? Can I do it? But they say where all the other babies here at this party? There are no other babies because Maggi doesn't get along. We see gerald fire believe the first time, as you said, outside the window, and then they enter with the cake with the candles and they're playing up here that kids might be frightened by the fact that everyone's looking at them, taking photos, and Maggie's just got the shakes happening. I think kids love birthdays, man, I know she's only ones. Maybe when they're one a bit different. By the time they're two or three, they're all about it.
Speaker 4: I imagine that's a lot of sensory input for a for a small child though, just having a lot of peoples of the zoom in on them, bright lights.
Speaker 3: Et cetera. And a one year old's birthday party is for the parents anyway, of course it is. It's not. We've said his time and time again. Anyone who has birthday parties for the one year old makes it a big deals, like you're just doing it for yourself. What about a two year old? Two year olds? They I think two years at least they're having fun. One year olds just sitting there going why is everything that they have no idea what's happening? Two year old is aware it's their birthday.
Speaker 4: Okay, then they're a center of attention.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I was looking over the wall. I see baby Gerald's got a card on the wall staring at you. He's yeah at you. Yes, Someone on social media like it just went crazy. That video it just like went viral.
Speaker 4: But that was it just talking about there's one of the it's one of like Hank's best line deliveries or something like that.
Speaker 3: Very sincere. The baby looked at you.
Speaker 4: I was ahead of the curve. I like baby. I like baby looked at.
Speaker 3: You for It's cool. Yes you did. You've been saying that's been one of your favorites forever, isn't it. Maybe lucky baby looked.
Speaker 2: At you.
Speaker 4: Even better, even not even better, but pretty close. After that, Sarah gave me the give me the chief, whatever.
Speaker 3: The school, give me the school or whatever.
Speaker 4: Yeah what She just picks up the phone right next from Darz the number gives.
Speaker 3: Them thank you, Sarah, and she smiles. What it's simp I love that.
Speaker 4: I love that may look at you. That's what it took from that. But the teacher of the Prinson were having sex in the closet. It's baby looked at you, and the baby looked at me.
Speaker 3: Baby looked at So that line there is that him confused. Why Ralph would think that always confused that he believes there actually was a baby there. I don't know what it means. There were probably smarter people out there.
Speaker 4: You know it actually means this, but I'm just like, I just like the way it sounds.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that's true. How many SAMs? And we said it in this episode because it just fun. Maybe on this podcast we say, like every single episode just about everything. Whatever I said, one of your favorite members of the show overall, that's always one of yours. That and Devil's Advocate ding ding ding Sure not Simpson Safari, Oh no, oh no not indeed no. So Maggie's getting all scared, and then Grandpa and Jacqueline, are you ever how to get rid of the shakes?
Speaker 1: Put some listeners, cobola conguin, done a cotton put the cotton in your ear, don't stuck them shakes? No, No, what she needs is a bosom specific ball, some specific while we're burning money, why don't we give her a cheer rate of galvernic bell too.
Speaker 4: Don't forget to give her Snackler's powder.
Speaker 1: Don't make fun.
Speaker 3: Then Maggie's asleep and they pan down in between the roof and the floor. There was here recorder, someone's recording the conversation. They used to always do that game. It's a random throwaway gag. Yeah, but they don't do it anymore. There's always there's always something in the roof or in the in the walls there, and they're all sharing stories and I've just gone here, this is what happens Christmas Day or we always have we play cards on a Christmas night. We can play cards with certain family members and whatnot, and it always just ends up us just remember when Nan did this, or just telling stories of I remember when you were five and you were doing that, And they're my favorite moments in life. I think when the family get together and just share memories that you've never heard before ever the once you have heard a million times, but you just love hearing them tell it because you may have heard it a million times, but you will miss it when they're no longer with us and they're not telling that story anymore. Absolutely. Yeah, yeah, I'm actually thinking of it's just a podcaster and me, but next Christmas leaving the mic song and just getting family to just come in here and just tell stories about their child. Just tell stories, because it's invaluable hearing memories about your family, don't you think? Absolutely? Have you? Have you asked Margaret Mary a better childhood and things certainly.
Speaker 4: Yeah, yeah, yeah, I'm not going to go into it more than that, but yeah, no, I absolutely have.
Speaker 3: She got arrested for indecent exposure. That's so they're telling all the stories here to at least his third birthday was really break it into the routine about armor hot dogs. They go full on into it, singing a hot dog song, any of the songs in this family knows besides advertisements Chicken Tonight, I always.
Speaker 4: Thought Chicken Tonight was just an Australian thing.
Speaker 3: I was baffled when I remember when I first saw itself. Thought, I honestly thought chicken tight was Australian as well, was a sensation gangbuster of an air. Oh yeah, you still get Chicken tonight, right, but I imagine you can. I don't watch enough free to air TV to know whether the ads are still running, but I don't think you would never change it, but maybe know that it is there at the point now where that marketing campaign was so well or so good for so long, you don't really need to market anymore. It's just we haven' we're getting chicken tonight. It's just it's become part of it.
Speaker 4: And then as the minute someone says that the song into his head, does you feel like chicken tonight?
Speaker 3: Like chicken to chicken tonight? It's good again, like chickens tonight, It's so good. Then we're in bed. Helps it.
Speaker 4: It's a quality product. Chicken ant was usually pretty good.
Speaker 3: Yeah, just chop some chickens, garlic, some onions. Delicious, But marg Is suggested that Grandpa and Jacqueline should hang out together, and Homer says, no, no, people should be studied. Now this is the second time we've had to mention of Ross Perot recently. I don't know whether it's been on both on forfing and discount reviews or whatever, But Ross Perot, who was this guy?
Speaker 4: I believe he was an eccentric Texan million slash billion.
Speaker 3: It was speaking of the heel because I talking about his eight hundred number when no in Mexican.
Speaker 4: Oh okay, yeah, there we go. Unified theory comes through again. But yeah, he ran for president. Oh was it in the Clinton era when.
Speaker 3: Must have been early nineties?
Speaker 4: Yeah, yeah yeah, Bill. Bill makes an appearance in there. I'm word, You're finally found love. He looked like he was about, you know, five feet two, little scrappy, little guys.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that's right. I'm made my own money from. Yeah. Is he the guy that touches his hat in the King and Codos one? Maybe you know that it's a two party system. You've gotta vot for one of us. Why I vote for a third party candidate? And it's like no, no, no, And he guess he punches his hat. That him? Good. Well he's a little weedy guy. Look it up.
Speaker 4: It was a little guy, absolutely, but you know, full of gumption.
Speaker 3: Now I'm just saying the guy the Simpsons was want to punch his hat ross prow Simpsons. Yeah him, Yeah, so he punches his hat. Yeah, that's right, that's him. So now they're on their way out for lunch, I'm assuming, and we get the iconic can I come to moment? Yes, you just feel so bad for lady.
Speaker 4: By the way, we've already we've skipped them matlock bit, but we already talked about that.
Speaker 3: I guess, oh they've left. Oh yes, of course, yes, they all leave. Actually, I want to point out because Jacqueline in that moment says, I guess next on I'm going to see it is probably Thanksgiving and homes like maybe Christmas. So it's we only.
Speaker 4: Family were quite understood the reading of feeling that Christmas. I was like, maybe we can get away with just seeing them the home you see you. Yes, yeah, we'll skipped Thanksgiving. Yeah, it's sad in the sense that so many families only see each other on the holidays.
Speaker 3: We don't make the effort when we should. I live ten minutes away from some family. I was in there like once a month, if not like less than that. You know, once it becomes why why did it? Why you're sitting at home watching I'm sitting here watching Judge Judy. I should be visiting family. But what am I doing here? I'm having a good time about to say, yeah, you know, we only visit family on holidays. And how often, humor me, how often does your family members? Because mind all the time? And I said all the time on Christmas Day or whenever we need catcher going. We should do this more often.
Speaker 4: No, my family does it all that much. My friend my friends certainly do it. I mean I think we like the thing we see each other relatively more often. Yeah, no, we will, we will.
Speaker 3: We never do well.
Speaker 4: It happens with my friends. We're particularly my school friends who I caught.
Speaker 3: Up with if you do reply to the guy that tries to start initiate the meeting, that's Will share out to Will.
Speaker 4: But yeah, we had a really nice get together just before Christmas and we were all and we always say it, yeah, oh shit, we should do this again. And I've got it with JP not long ago. I'll say, I'm going to try and organize something for February. We're in February now, I've not done shit. There's a lot going on in February, so it probably won't be until March. We'll see what happens. But yeah, of course it happens August comes around. It's the human Condition.
Speaker 3: Four figure discount is brought to you by our incredible supporters on Patreon. With your support, we're able to hire editors, purchase new equipment, and everything else that goes into producing top quality shows. Each and every week. Our supporters get early in add free access to every show, new episodes of Tales of Futurama, Talking sci Fild, and Speaking of the Heel each month, as well as access to exclusive Facebook and Discord communities. So go ahead and support the show today for as little as just one dollar at Patreon dot com slash four finger discount.
Speaker 4: I've got a neat idea.
Speaker 3: Why don't you go in and pick up my mother and we'll all go out to dinner.
Speaker 1: I'll be back in a jiffy. That's not my mother, I'll be back in a jiffy.
Speaker 3: Can I come to? So the Can I come to? Lady? I was just feel so sorry for it's there? Which is? Can I come to? They both look away and the windows goes up. If I'm in that situation, what do you do? You just pretend you don't hear it? Do you do? You say sorry? No? What do you do? You say sorry now as gently as possible? Did she get back inside? Had to get back inside? Grab it as left it down on the curve. Oh nos? But so they go to p Pickley, hog Swine, super Smog and Marge says, you know, you guys have a lot more a lot in common. And I said, you've both got a swindled by the tail market, a scam, grab a scam. It's yeah, you can give a cuick information. And then she says, I was just happy to talk to somebody on the phone.
Speaker 4: Are you afraid of getting scammed?
Speaker 3: I've been scammed. I did oh, yeah, the famous Lego scam. So I'm very weary now. I do like the fact that when you get a phone call now it says suspected spam, and I'm like, thank you for telling me in advance.
Speaker 4: May I be a dreadful person for a second? And what's that? I imagine you are weary, but you also might be wary.
Speaker 3: Oh, weary, yeah, weary, weary. What's weary? Weary is when you're tired, and you tire weary eyes. Where is when you're suspicious? Yes, weary, very wary, yes, and you're also kind of weary. I'm very weary of solo for and me chiming and correcting you. Okay, no, no, please correct I'll make sure it's one thing Mitch corrected me once in the podcast, and I've never forgotten it, and I'm always making sure I made the effort to do it right because I used to always always say hence why it's not hence why it's the why is implied with the hens. So now when I go I'm saying hence why something, I leave it at the white So I always remember when Mitch was just like, well you stop saying hence why, and I go, I didn't realize this. I will meet the effort now. But I learned things and I remember, so now going forward, I'll make sure I say wherey okay. I appreciate it. I like it for the lesson.
Speaker 4: I like to think I was a little more diplomatic in my correction than.
Speaker 3: Mitch's, like, you're a dickhead.
Speaker 4: But then you know, people might be tuning in for that spice. Yeah they might have liked that back in. Yeah, hey, tune into going down to South Park. We talked about fat butt and pancakead. There's a lot of Heliver Lopez.
Speaker 3: Jennifer Ope's episode so good. Oh that's right.
Speaker 4: Oh sorry, my Lopez impression escaped containment. We're only going to do it on that episode. But you know, becoming attraction, this is my racism has broken contentment.
Speaker 3: You have to record a primo for going down a south pick as her, that's right.
Speaker 4: Do you want to do going down to a South Park?
Speaker 3: Who the fox said that? Cool? It was? It suck my cooler, cool old chica.
Speaker 4: Oh my god, don't please do not snip that and put it in anywhere else.
Speaker 3: And that's what she said. Grabo tries to cheer up Jacqueline here with potatoes, which is a parody of Charlie Chaplain.
Speaker 4: Is indeed now sorry, Win, did this episode air again? I will find that for you right now. It was ninety four, Okay. Around this time that little routine came back into vogue because there was a movie called Benny in June starring Johnny Depp. This is when Johnny was kind of like, I know, I look like the most handsome person to ever live, but I'm also, you know, a bit wacky and artistic and all this kind of stuff. And in this movie Benny and Journey was playing this sort of eccentric fellow, but he did the whole put some forks into some bread rolls and do a little dance route with it, and it was kind of like, oh, Johnny, it's so charming. She'll never gonna get ship faced and lose all your money and be possibly abusive to your spouse in a mutual relationship.
Speaker 3: Allegedly, we shouldn't laugh, you know, love here cry Yeah, I know, right yeah. So bluehead Lawyer of course interrupts as you're saying early and says he's on barf the chap on the state love Blue head lawyer doesn't get used anywhere near enough anymore in the teen era of the show. Such a professional one and a shark, Yeah, ruthless. But then she's showing Grandpa old photos when she got arrestled in disint exposure. Mentions the friends and he says, you remind me of a poem that I can't remember. It was something that may never have existed in a place I'm not sure i've ever been to. So sweet.
Speaker 4: That's a really it's a very funny line, and it's a really sweet line.
Speaker 3: You remind me of something I'm not sure what, but I like what it is.
Speaker 4: Props to Josh and Bill. I think that's a really well written dual purpose line.
Speaker 3: Yeah, he feels really funny. Realize what a mite. It's love. No, it's a stroke, stroke use of the ambulance. No, wait, it's love. That is sent amount to the highway. That is a conan O'Brien, yag I've ever seen send him mount into the highway. So we come back and Bart is watching the McClure show on Impulse by a network, and then what.
Speaker 4: Were what do you what might you remember that?
Speaker 3: Yeah?
Speaker 4: This is these are the most true truemanclue titles as far as I mean, certainly the boat Jacking of super Ship seventy nine, Love that and Hydro the Man with the hydraulic Arms. I'm pretty sure I would have watched the Boat Jacking of super Ship seventy nine.
Speaker 3: It sounds like a great nineteen seventy eight thriller. Oh yeah, but not TV made for TV.
Speaker 4: Yeah, yeah, I'm sure we talked about there's an actor named Doug McClure who was yeah, yeah, who was very sort of big in seventies B movies and things like that. I'm guessing that's who they lifted the name from. Partially is in tribute or partially his piss takes?
Speaker 3: Yeah, anyway, we could google it. Let's not.
Speaker 4: Let's let's keep talking about Lady Movie is Love.
Speaker 3: This is Roger Meyers Junior is just flogging the animation cells and it makes it look like you're going to get the entire animation cell. But no, but this is how they look. It's usually a background with this one little part of the cell in there.
Speaker 4: Yeah, you were talking about infomercials before. I remember one that they used to have a lot was I'm so and so from Silver Care Galleries or whatever.
Speaker 3: Do you remember that guy, the old guy. I've spoken him numerous times. Why am I not surprised he goes to conventions and he's got like a whole lot. You know. You go to a record staunch, just boxes of records, but he's just boxes of animation cells.
Speaker 4: Yeah, that may be on the one that I was kind of thinking that wouldn't look bad on the wall. That's kind of interesting, like an I would sketch of like Steamboat Willie or some shit like that.
Speaker 3: I'm walking around the Simpsons studios on our honeymoon and She'll showing me some of the original animation sales from the Golden Ear shout out to NICKI and I'm looking, I'm going, how can I get this out of the door? I remember there was one that had Hugo and Bart from the thing and I and I'm going, I must have this. And I'm saying to her, can you buy these? She goes, oh, no, you shouldn't even be touching them. I was like, I was touching them. Look at it? Why who are you? Why are you good time? Zoning? Great? Was that was an experience getting to sit down with Rob Oliver, director of the Simpsons and the guy who designed all the cover up for the Simpsons DVDs, and he showed me how to draw Margin. That video is available on YouTube.
Speaker 4: I recall, yeah, but Bo means go and check it out.
Speaker 3: Everybody, great man. Indeed. So basically this is where Bart takes the wallet and home, it takes the slingshot and he orders over the phone. So he's got the Federal Bikini Inspector was the other license to ogle. See how many just great little throwaway bits in it. So it's a coding episode, mate, it's March versus the money out. Shit just keeps happening.
Speaker 4: I mean, even the whole yeah, Bart pinching the wallet thing, I mean it's played for a little bit.
Speaker 3: It's not but it's like as as him going and taken it out of a draw or something.
Speaker 4: Yeah, it's cute, it's funny.
Speaker 3: Yeah, good episode. Yes, Homer is opposed to the whole thing of them being together. He doesn't like it at all because we brother and sister, and he envisions, envisions our kids will be freaks as humans. Yep. Now, Margin calls Jacqueline on the phone, calls hi, mum. She says, to grab I don't come across too strong, and my mom doesn't like that. He just hijacks the phone call I love it, love it, love it coome my mom. March takes over. Then we get the delivery, and we could do it for Homer Simpson. First one is stop writing. The next one is stop stealing golf balls from the driving range. Third one is the wise Guy. Yes, as you're saying, it's not the wise Guy, the wise Guy, but just can I'll give you a special delivery? Yes, very much, come to klingsy Pool. Oh yeah, no days. Then he takes it out and it's very crappy Coustrian and fifty dollars, and we have Nelson getting an out of body experience. Even like so when Nelson goes ha ha teen era of Simpsons, that would just be it's just there for the same he's just riding past on his bike. Yes, but at least now they're at least they're giving some reason. How would Nelson be doing. He's having out of body experience. It's ridiculous, it's unrealistic, but at least it's given us a reason.
Speaker 4: Well you initially, oh okay, it's just imagine. Yeah, yeah, it's like no, let's.
Speaker 3: Let's throw a little something more. Let's throw some more crowd on it. Yeah, that's squeeze as many jokes as they possibly can. Then Grandpa is getting ready for his days. He's gonna switch it like a mulet and an apple. It's like Jesus, she's bought novelty benches that say kiss me sweety or something on them. When the lights go down and we get the iconic play it cool song and the song itself, I could take it to leave it, but it's like the fact seeing Homer and Bond. Yeah.
Speaker 4: Then the little finger guns at each other at the end.
Speaker 3: And he doesn't play it cool. Since she arrives, he screams and hides behind the cap. Yeah. Then they are the community Center. It's the swing dance. Meanwhile, the swing dance we got bart taking the cells?
Speaker 2: Is this cell worth anything?
Speaker 6: Let me show you something. This This is a snagger puss John Bay Hick Hastelou. It is worth something. This this is an arm John by nobody. It is worth nothing.
Speaker 3: Can't you give me anything for it?
Speaker 6: I can give you this telephone. It is shipped like Mary worth Nook ruining in my store.
Speaker 3: Who's Meryworth. That's a really good question. I do not know. I'm gonna look it up. I'm gonna say she.
Speaker 4: Was like an advice columnist, but one who who advised would always be listen to your parents or you know.
Speaker 3: Maryworth is an American newspaper comic strip, Oh not a real person. I was Way wrong had an eight decade run from nineteen thirty eight distri distributed by King Feature Syndicate. This soap opera style strip influenced several that followed. It was created by writer Alan Solders and artist Dale Connor. Initially appeared under the pseudonym Dale Allen.
Speaker 4: What is Mary Worth's kind of key characteristics? Is she a busybody? Let's find out.
Speaker 3: So typically a story would revolve around the troubles of someone who was somehow in my orbit. Mary herself might not appear in the strip for weeks at a time, although she would eventually be around to give time of the advice and support. So she's kind of like what you said she would have been she was a real person. Yeah, she's not a real person. She's the She's Danny from Full House. He goes everyone's having trouble and he's like sit down, kids, you're gonna learn something today. Mary's there to solve problems. Which was Danny? Was that Dave Coolier? No, No, Danny's the dad.
Speaker 4: Danny's Bob Saget, like like Rob Bob Sage.
Speaker 3: Yeah, the filthiest man in the world.
Speaker 4: That's right, He's the one who didn't get pleasured in the theater by let.
Speaker 3: That's still one of the most baffling things of all time. Right, it's good for Dave. What the movie was? Someone surely has asked that question, right, what were you What were you not watching in this what were you not watching?
Speaker 4: So?
Speaker 3: Yes, so Mary Worth comedic strip and maybe there's a telephone because you know, if you have problems, you call married for help. Good idea, who knows? So then they're dancing to moonlight serenade. That is a nice sea plant here, because she mentions to Grandpa, my favorite song. This is so lovely because we get it at the end of the episode as well. He can't remember the last time he felt this young. He goes for a kiss, but mister Burns interrupts and cue the He'll turn from all involved, He'll turn from Burns. Well, he's always a hell he'll turn from Jacquelinde because she I mean, she goes off the dance, but she doesn't come back. That's true.
Speaker 4: Well, you know he's clearly a better dancing dresses better still, And it's not that confidence he doesn't know he's got that.
Speaker 3: I believe the kids call it the riz. Yeah, that is the thing. Yes, that term will be out of date by the time this episode goes to give give him the fanning of a lifetime. Waits outside while she leaves and you know you are the devil himself who told you? Oh being nice? And then she leaves in the car. Smith's is pissed off by this. He's not a fan at all. But he says good night missus Bouvier wherever you.
Speaker 4: Are, Yes, a line from Jimmy Duranty. And yeah, the bluehead lawyer earning his money in this episode because he's also representing the state of one Jimmy Derandy in what film? Oh that's a good question.
Speaker 3: Which film does you say that in?
Speaker 4: I thought it was just his catchphrase was good good night missus so and so.
Speaker 3: Wherever you are. The catchphrases okay, okay, good night missus Calabash, wherever you are wherever you are. It just seems like something from a sad movie, like a movie scene. Yeah okay, So.
Speaker 4: Who was Jimmy Dearandy was basically sort of a stand up comedian.
Speaker 3: Meaning yeah, okay, but he says, stop the imitation. It would be okay. I lay down the street and died. Yeah, sure, that'd be okay. We come back and Burns its telling Smithers, you wouldn't believe what happened last night. I don't know what did you say? I don't know.
Speaker 4: Sorry, it had sex with that old woman.
Speaker 3: No, she said no to me, the first one's ever said no to me. And it's just he's in love. Whoop do you do to the world? Such a low key moment. Everyone who's found love can go home early. Just one guy, just Cory, poor dude. Then he asked Smithers to hop and write a love letter. He writes this really good letter and it ends up with and then how did you come up with that? I gave it to you on your birthday? And he runs off crying himself. Marge's feeling bad for Grandpa. I can't believe she's not going to hanging out anymore. But this new guy she says, is I am a repulsive there's a repulsive old billionaire, so let's all be extra nice to him. So it's grandpa that tells him, because these grandpas, says a repulsivele Burns, it's all be extra nice to him. Turns out it's Burns and we have the Fred Flinn statement, which I just think was hilarious as well. So there's just trying to do fun things up when he can. Marge is furious and home. It's just all about the money, Isn't he very much if you were dating somebody. So if if someone in your family will stay, someone who had a lot of money, would you be more inclined to go. I hope this works out.
Speaker 4: Be honest with yourself, then that will be certainly part of me that goes, yeah, it works out for yeah, and for me.
Speaker 3: I hope there's some money. I hope there's a downstream effect. Yes, a flall on. But allmres about is the money here. And it's where Bart tells mister Burns, you know, grandma really likes it when their boyfriends give me give money. What did you say? Run along? Peewee?
Speaker 4: Baby gets nothing, baby, he gets nothing, So good burns and but know each other. Well, we've had the episode where it burns air and things like that. So are we supposed to believe that they don't know each other here? Or is this just two manipulative people taking advantage of a situation. I think it's just too manipulative people. Yes, And also I think episodes just reset at the end of every episode.
Speaker 3: I will throw this out there. He shoots him with the mustard, right, but there's no stain. Later on, you ain't getting mustard out. Oh god, that ship is staining. Yeah, you're really on a nappy saying that shit you do. Indeed, nappy sad that goes to cover to people's doors. Who are the ads from nappy sand and be like, what off my doorstairs? Why why are you here?
Speaker 2: Yeah?
Speaker 3: Just assuming I don't know how to wash my clothes.
Speaker 4: I think said that nappy sand is a very useful item, particularly if you're a sloppy eater, like, well, everyone's got their own there. There's traditional name brand nappy sand, but you know, yeah, house brand wily sand, wuly sand, which judges the job just as well.
Speaker 3: Grandpa is sad though, oh why she have to leave me? Babe? Who was the need of some cheering up. We got to a special gink oh as I like to think there's an old broad in there just a year off. Ready get grave.
Speaker 4: By the time of his life, I'm probably big on the burlesque scene.
Speaker 3: Was like, yeah, sure had time to shine. Yeah, and then Burns and Jacqueline at Luigi's when Luigi's was still considered a fancy restaurant in Springfield. Because now it's the the everyday place and we've got the gilded truffles. That's places. But yeah, the cheap hoochs for the mister not tip and then dried up zombie that he's captured, very Luis brut Yeah, but then comes clean to Homer. He saidn't worry though, I've got the cash. As he said, I like that they wrapped up that story. At least they tied it all up. And he gives him the cash. Now you've bus seventy transcripts of Nightline, Nightline, that's right. So yeah, but that dad, and he's like, oh, well, he's happy. He's going to keep the phone to remind him member to do something stupid like that again. Neil says, come to the banded hospital check at the extra machine and he's off. Yes, then they're off on a date, Jacqueline and mister Burns and he wants to give her a ring in her wine, but she accidentally spoils it. So he's going to back up one in a pot of something, maybe fondue, fondue, a broth, something whatever, And yes. In the Mario cuts to margeaying, I can't believe you're going to marry him. That's ridiculous. Why would you do that?
Speaker 4: Now?
Speaker 3: She says he can provide and that's one of the reasons he can provide for me. He's got money and he's a great kisser as well. And she says, do you have any feelings for Age? Now? He's too much of a fuss pot. So is Jacqueline a heel? Has she done the dirty year?
Speaker 4: I think she's just got her eyes on the prize and good honor.
Speaker 3: Yeah, taking advantage of the situation.
Speaker 4: I mean well, I mean, had it been set up that you know there was going to be this great romance between Abe and Jacqueline.
Speaker 3: Well what happens if Shanning Tatum rocks up and he's just becomes infatuated with Louise and she leaves with him, she a bad guy, or she just taken advantage of the situation.
Speaker 4: Lou and I have just been together for six years. There's a difference. These guys have been like one day.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I'll give you that. Yeah, that's true.
Speaker 4: The one of these things is not like the other. And also bitch and also you know magic Mark versus podcasting guy Davis.
Speaker 3: I don't know. I think it's no context. Think of going down time like baby. Four figure discount is brought to you by our incredible supporters on Patreon. With your support, we're able to hire editors, purchase new equipment, and everything else that goes into producing top quality shows each and every week. Our supporters get early in add free access to every show, new episodes of Tales of Futurama, Talking Side Fild and Speaking of the Heel each month, as well as access to exclusive Facebook and Discord communities. So go ahead and support the show today for as little as just one dollar at patreon dot com. Slash four figure discount. But yeah, so she's kind of she wanted to marry because grandpasch to mention my fun but as she compares a data reference now, but she says he's he's like I compared to Burns, he's Judge freaking Reinhold, And she says, I don't know who that is, and I'm like, that's every person under the age of twenty five. It kind of is. Yeah, I mean, it wasn't even like a data reference in ninety four.
Speaker 4: It doesn't really make any sense because I mean, Judge, it's not like his Tom.
Speaker 3: I thought he played the douchebag in a lot of films.
Speaker 4: Right, hold, So hey, what's he compared to some and so compared to Grandpa or Grandpa? Is Judge freaking Ryinhold compared to Burns?
Speaker 3: Is that right? Yeah? Yeah, I mean it's yeah. I don't get what she was going for there either, nor.
Speaker 4: Do I n anyway, moving along, it's not like Tom Hanks or something like that.
Speaker 3: Where it's like or what she's trying to say, he's exciting exciting? Is I don't know? That's not important enough? Not really, though. I feel bad for Judge.
Speaker 4: I mean, isn't that a period there was like, wow, he's in Gremon. Oh, everyone loved Eddie Murphy and Beverly Hills Cop.
Speaker 3: But he came out and going, yeah, it was really Funnyron was in the Santa Claus.
Speaker 4: He was in the Santa Claus. He was on arrest of development as Judge run Yeah, yes, he should have his own TV show, Judge Reynhold should. The cases are real.
Speaker 3: But Grandpa has more time to read things on that he finds on the ground now because he's not with Jacqueline. He finds a latex condome that'd be a nice place to live. Wood looks in the window and sees Jacqueline trying on her dress at Venus Bridal salon not affiliated with the planet, and he's really sad. Now it's time for the wedding and Homeertels Barnie, you need to fill out the groom cycle is only Is it a Nazi on that side? Looks like it.
Speaker 4: Yeah, either a Nazi or like a German soldier from World War One?
Speaker 3: Yeah someone, yeah, someone, not a nice person, but it looks looks for it. And then Smithers and Marge walking. They're walking down the aisle. They're not walking in the other walking together? Aren't they the bottom party? They're not happy. They're clearly both bothered, and Burns says, just get to the bloody point. Let's not go to all this, and March keeps nudging her, saying look, look, look, and Jacqueline realized in this moment that he's not a nice guy, but drops the ring, kicks Bart when he's down, and she's just like, look, I know I get this. Then she hears favorite song being played and burn says, I specifically quested no romantic music, and we get the missus boobya, which is.
Speaker 4: It's from the Graduate Yes, sorry, Dustin Hoffmann, yes, where he interrupts, Yeah, dust Hofmann interrupts a wedding and runs off with the bride and yeah, we'll keep going for but we'll talk about.
Speaker 3: More about it. So it s fash as the window.
Speaker 2: Boys Booby y honey, how you star?
Speaker 1: You want to be Missus Montgomery Burns, wouldn't you rather be Missus Abraham Jay Simpson?
Speaker 4: No, I don't want to be either.
Speaker 1: Digny damn.
Speaker 3: That's good enough for me.
Speaker 4: That's what happens at the end of the Graduate as well. They've made this great romantic gesture. He's broken up this marriage to someone who thinks is not right for they're on the bus, they're going away to the future together, and all of a sudden they realize, oh, wait a minute, we don't know each other at all. We don't know what we're doing here. We might have fucked this all. Yeah, and you get a bit of Simon and Garfunk are playing here. You have a nice version of this called the sound of Grandpa listing all his faults. But a good ending.
Speaker 3: I think, Yeah, just a great episode. I'm gonna throw this out there. I think an underrated episode. I don't think this one gets talked about anywhere near enough. But this is a very much a Conan O'Brien s beat for beat, gag gag gag. And he said, nothing feels wasted in this at all, does it?
Speaker 4: But it doesn't feel overstuffed. It's not like, uh, you're you know, to quote one of my favorite lines from the TV show Community, Yeah, but you're coming up with gags with the speed and determination of the inevitable Robin Williams.
Speaker 3: This doesn't feel like that was like.
Speaker 4: I'm gonna make you lab, you're gonna lab me.
Speaker 3: That kind of thing.
Speaker 4: It's more like, nah, we just got this is a situation that lends itself to this, this, this, and this.
Speaker 3: Don't look away because it's gonna be gag. You're going to miss something, Yeah, but.
Speaker 4: We're not going to beat you over the head with it. It's like, if you get it, you get it. Yes, and we got to heal whole heap. This is a good episode and I'm glad we did it for Valentine's Day.
Speaker 3: Thank you patrons for selecting this one for this month's Guy on Spirit for a classic review. I've posted and there Askedhi for a couple of questions. I hope we'd answer a couple of questions from the patrons as well. I'd prefer not to Mike Salta. Do you find it a shame that they never really fleshed out Marge's parents as characters in the Golden era? Well, the father had passed away. I don't think there's really much to do with them, to be completely honest, And I think it adds to the mistake of the March character as well. That's a good point.
Speaker 4: And Patty and Selma of course have their role in the in the overall scheme of things, of just being antagonistic towards Homer. Yeah, I can't really chow's a lack of imagination on my part. I can't really sort of pictureup what Jacqueline would do. By the way, fun fact you probably already know this everybody, but Jacqueline Boubier the maiden name of Jackie Kennedy. There we go, Yeah we know, and now you know the rest of the story.
Speaker 3: David Mott, what's your partner's favorite song? It's a really good question. You don't know. Nicholas got two normal Nikola standard. Nicola is Superstition by Stevie Wonder her party. Her party song is take your Shirt Off by Tea Pain. Oh my goodness, you.
Speaker 4: Know I married the right girl, and he favorite song is take your shirt Off. When it comes to favorite songs, I mean the lovely Lou, I don't know. She's just got a whole heap of playlists that is.
Speaker 3: A superstitious or superstition. By the way, superstition is That's what I thought you got, the species very superstitious, doesn't he The superstition is the song I always get confused with that one. Superstition is Nichola's favorite song.
Speaker 4: But I also know better than to sort of talk music with Lou because I tried getting into a conversation about it with her and a Rellis on Isaac A.
Speaker 3: Little while ago.
Speaker 4: She sort of looked at me like, honey, you're good at a lot of stuff, but you're out of your element here because I think I was named chicken some this. Yeah, they're not bad, don't do it.
Speaker 3: Stop stop stop. But I have learned.
Speaker 4: I've picked up a lot of great music from Luke because she's got fantastic taste.
Speaker 3: But what is her favorite song? Though I couldn't tell you. You don't know no nor for six years, you've just told us this, Yeah, pull the curtain backer here at the Dano household, so in take your shirt off. The chorus goes, just take your shirt off. Obviously sitting there, Nicola walking, I'll go I actually say anything. She's just like, not happened. Rachel McLean, Do you think they could ever have kept Grandpa and mister VI together going forward? No? No, no, it's too weird of a it's too weird to have Homer re Marge's parents as a couple. Come my opinion here, Ryan King, Final one in relation to Grandpa's dance with the Foks. Do you guys have a favorite Charlie Chaplin movie? Mine is city Lights?
Speaker 4: City Lights is one of the best modern times.
Speaker 3: Is also pretty I'm not gonna lie. I don't really know much about Charlie Chaplin films. I never really watched them.
Speaker 4: Yeah, he's more of an iconic figure than he than his movies. Yeah, I don't think they've really washed a whole lot these days, and you're sort of looking at it more for historical value than anything else. Although Chaplain he did pretty much everything. He did all the shit beyond the camera and was quite the good on screen presence as well. City Lights is really good, really sort of touching and sentimental modern times of everything the Great Dictator's got, the Great Dictator gets. Certainly the closing speech gets drawn brought out a lot, particularly when Trump gets into offers, because it's a big speech about you know, we need to be more human the machine, like we need to show compassion rather than hatred, all this kind of stuff.
Speaker 3: It's a very good speech.
Speaker 4: You can find it on YouTube, relevant just about any era.
Speaker 3: Unfortunately. Yes, all right, Well, thank you guys for listening to our review of Lady Bouvie's Love and Thinking. You again to all the patrons for selecting it for this month's Guys Springfield Classic review. If you want to find out what the options are for next month. He is could be supportive of ours on Patreon. We can also vote on which one we review as well, and you get to ask us some questions each classic review. We're going to be throwing out the chance to ask us some questions about that specific specific episode, and if you're supported of ours on Patreon, you can do so. Also, please continue to rate and review us on Apple podcast Spotify, whereby do you listen to this show? Check us five stars. We do appreciate it. We're closing in on four hundred and five star reviews now Spotify, I want to hit five hundred and I know we can do it. And Apple Podcasts as well, we've got I think it's about fifteen hundred on there. On Apple Podcasts, I want to try and close in on like two thousand. So give us those five star reviews. Whether it be Apple Podcasts or Spotify, they are the two main ones. There are two most used apps. Listening to the show doesn't to anywhere else. Check us five stars on there as well. Lease Tree shop with support. You can't get in touch with this, you want to get in touch with this. It is mailbag at four finger discount dot com dot au, mister Davis, you're joined me today. Hey the Pleasures Man, How do you have any find words for those incredible listeners out there? Plead it cool s