Speaker 1: What happens in Vegas should always stay there. I'm sure if it did, Whole k Are wouldn't care. Leeds were on fire Wigan as well. Did the whole teams even turn up? It was too hard to tell. Another winner this week is nicknamed the Wire, the Giants and Catalans. They were pretty dire. There's only one team still stuck on Notughe. Lee and John are back to give you their thoughts. Welcome to the eleventh episode of Super League three sixty, a podcast primarily about the top tier of British rugby league. My name is Lee poet Laureate Addison.
Speaker 2: And my name is John Avidson. That's a lovely. Another lovely in Trolie.
Speaker 1: Our mate James Varley sent me one too. He's another one who sent me something five minutes before the show. We're expecting it to get in, so I told him where to shove it down. I'm a coach in Australia, John a journo in the UK. Please read the script of this pod or listen to old pods. Trying to make our introduction shorter because when we did the Old Ashes podcast that was half the podcast. I think this podcast is being aired on Ashes Rugby League still I would like you all to transfer over though if you can. But it's definitely on the Rugby League Coach podcast platforms. I don't care if you stay on them, as well as Rugby League Coach YouTube so if you want to watch it as a visual so if you subscribe to those you won't miss a thing. And we're also on Rugby League dot Com with Steve Mascod, Jason Costigan and the guys John Obviously we've just had Vegas. We'll talk about that soon. But the John Tweet of the Week, the Rugby League Tweet of the Week, the Socials pop up, Lee of the Week, Johnny's Job, Lee's laugh, Media watch every segment. There's only one winner this week, and that is the fact that you were mistaken identity on X this week. What the hell happened?
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's It's been one of the more bizarre weeks of my life. I would have to say forty four years of my life being mistaken for the Scottish Tourett's campaign of John Davidson, who accidentally said a racial slur on the bafters last Sunday night, and yeah, got mistaken on Twitter and then yeah, it went viral for a while. It's been a bit of a surreal week. Yeah, very hard to kind of put into words.
Speaker 1: Give us some numbers. How many days have you had to deal with it? How many impressions or retweets did you get to any how many followers?
Speaker 2: Well, I have written a piece on Patreon titled tag Trolled and Trending My accidental Baftis Storm, which is free to read for anyone on Patreon. But I haven't checked the latest numbers, but yeah, it was even today. I've still had a few tweets. Someone tagged me in something that I thought I was that John Davidson. But I've had I've had impressions for some of my tweets for about two million. I think some of them have ranged one, one million, two million, a few different ones. I think I've added about four thousand followers. Yeah, I had approaches from media, potential TV appearance which didn't happen. Just a bit of a really bizarre week. I mean, it's taught me a few things, but I've just tried to combat up with a bit of humor and a bit of levity.
Speaker 1: And what has it taught you?
Speaker 2: John?
Speaker 1: Let's be philosophical for a while.
Speaker 2: It's taught me that we do live in a world where people liked the vent, particularly online. You know, if say I didn't know you Lee, and I came across one of your posts on Facebook, and I know you get this a lot anyway, but you know, I might just say, oh, well, who's this guy. He's an fing c barb.
Speaker 1: I think you did before we got to know each other.
Speaker 2: The difference with mainly is I thought it, but I didn't say it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah, no, no.
Speaker 2: But people just love to vent and abuse, and they don't generally think about the consequences. They don't even usually think clearly if they're venting at the right person. But people were just angry about everything these days. And yeah, that's one thing I learned. And the other thing I learned is that people then like to go in and abuse that person who is either trolling someone else, particularly if they're doing it wrongly, as in the stake and identity. So I've been I've been attacked by I would say I've been attacked by some people, maybe in the African American community, and then I've been defended by some racists and right wingers and then most of the people have just enjoyed the banter and the circus. So I think the common thing that we all have in the world is everyone enjoys a joke. And yeah, that's one of the things I've learned. I've also learned that we're all a bit mad and some people don't like to admit when they're wrong. And I will firstly say, I'm wrong most of the time and a lot of the time, so I'll put my hand up when I am wrong, or I at least try to.
Speaker 1: Well, there's allegations that there's Russian interference in elections in England and America. Will I can promise you there was there was Australian interference in some of these exes. Because our podcast numbers have gone through the roof this week.
Speaker 2: Mate. Well, I've also had fifty quids worth of free coffees me thanks to those people. Yeah. I think my people kept saying because I have I do have a verified account, but you know, hopefully I made some money. I think I made maybe about fifty bucks from Twitter in a week. Say, look, I'll take that.
Speaker 1: Better kicking the swingers.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I've had a bit of abuse as well. I think one of the tweets where I said, if every one can calm down, jokingly, I'm going to go and pick up my door from school if everyone can calm down, and someone responded, f you and your daughter, and that was a bit like at me. You don't need to aim it at my daughter as I as I explained in my piece, I've got lots and I know you have to. I've got lots of abuse, and you know, sometimes bullying, intimidation, legal threats, you you get used to it. So that's probably given me a thicker skin than the average joe. So yeah, you try and deal with it with a bit.
Speaker 1: X seems a bit worse than Facebook, and my my company is bigger on Facebook as a rule, and I don't think X is quite as big in Australia, so I think X has taken me longer to have any kind of real presence on there, and I still, I still, I'm trying. Really it's whereas in England it's a cess pit and America.
Speaker 2: In my experience, I think I joined X or Twitter in twenty ten, but whenever you must took over three four five whatever, it's gone a lot worse because one of the things he did when he started, he sacked seventy eighty percent of the workplace, so a lot of the people who were like regulating comments, you know, racials and things like that are just gone. So it's it's much more of a cesspit than it ever was in my experience.
Speaker 1: At least it got us some new listeners and knew some new followers and fifty dollars.
Speaker 2: I had my five minutes of favorite and I was in the Times on Saturday.
Speaker 1: So give give, give you contact details for nice tweets.
Speaker 2: Well, the people who are coming actually for Rugby League and not for the Rett's, Benter or Simpson memes. It is Johnny D. Davidson at well Johnny D. Davidson and on Facebook at John Davidson Journalists and on Patreon at Rugby League AUP dot com long rate.
Speaker 1: And on that note, you've had some people contact you and tag me in on X with some questions and we'll get really good questions. Yeah, Phil Gilberts, and this could tech was in any direction, So stay tuned for Vegas and all the updates on the news and the match reviews. Phil Gilbert, or should I say at Zippy Archie said, despite all games now live on TV. It feels like as a match going fan, I am not getting any benefit games played at the same time, many behind the red button so or can't be recorded, and poor production values, no clock, no scoreboard. Is it time that the RFL pushback against Sky.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean it's a really good question. I think there's a number of ways to answer that. As a match going fair. Look, I don't know what team film supports. I mean, I imagine he's probably going to see his team maybe every week going away. He's not going to other games. But I think the idea of TV coverage and I think you get this more in America and Australia, and you'd probably agree lead that England's a bit different. The TV audiences are definitely a different market from the in stadium audience, you know, the in staudium adience. Sorry, the TV audience for say Wigan and Saint Helen's is for people in London or in you know, Scotland or whatever. It's it's for people who can't get to the game. It's to broadcast that to people who go, and it's to make money, you know, it's it's to provide ratings for the competition. Now, I see what he's saying about the production vase, because they aren't great when the coverage starts ten minutes before and it's just two commentators and there's no halftime show, And yeah, when you compare it to a main event or to a Fox League, it doesn't look great. But I guess we've got a way up. The fact that you can watch every game when you can only watch two or three previously out of a six game round, what's better. I mean, that's that's preference, isn't it.
Speaker 1: Yeah. I also don't think beggars can be choosers.
Speaker 2: And that's that's the big point.
Speaker 1: Yeah, And there's been there's been one big broadcaster willing to cover our sport for the last thirty years very regularly, and whether they've increased or decreased the money, they're still covering our sport. And I don't know if there are people queuing up at the moment to take over from them. So I just think I just don't think. I don't think. I don't think kicking them into torch is an option. And I think the key just to add to that, I believe that Brian Carney is often the mouthpiece for the Sky TV crew, soor whatever he says or hints at, it's probably what some of the people who want the future of rugby league on Sky and have that in mind about what it looks like. I think Brian's possibly a mouthpiece for those, and John Wilkin as well.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I don't necessarily agree with that, knowing Brian fairly well, I think Brian has got strong opinions of his.
Speaker 1: Own and yeah, of course yeah, and on.
Speaker 2: John Wilkin does. But Sky's a whole look. A lot of rugby league fans in England seem to think that Sky is like a charity. It is a business, and their business is to make money. Now. The reason they put billions or whatever however much they put in the Premier League football is because it makes them money. Now, obviously they've done their numbers and their figures, and you are rightly there's not a huge amount of other broadcasters who are going to put big money into rugby league in the UK. That's just a fact. Like I think Design we're interested in the last time, but they offered less than what Sky offered. So the only way we really push that TV deil is we become more popular we get more participants, we get more full stadiums, we get better ratings, and we entice another broadcaster. Now there's a lot of people who want to kick Sky into touch, but there is no other alternative at this point in time. That's the reality. A lot of people don't want to agree with that, or they don't want to admit it, but the sport is not nationally popular enough, and I think just there's been great games and some great metrics. In the first couple of rounds. The only main event game I think has been the Vegas game, but in most of the Thursday Friday night games darts football, but even darts has been on the main event channel and super Leagues and previously in the last couple of years, Super Leagu's actually been on that main event channel. So it just goes to show darts has sort of come from nowhere and is really popular in the UK. Down women's football is another thing that years.
Speaker 1: Ago wasn't on the radar, and Sky would put it on the main event if they thought it was going to get the eyeballs.
Speaker 2: So that's that's the reality. That is that is the reality. I mean, yeah, we just have to we have to work on ourselves to make ourselves more popular and nationally relevant, and and Vegas is something that can help do that, and I think has helped do that in some ways.
Speaker 1: Simon Paul at Paul Beck two two two two two two two eight zero double five eight says discuss the pros and cons of the NRL buying a stake in SL Super League. Also, other than a great piss up, how does Las Vegas really grow the sport if we are trying to grow it in the US, there's better areas to have the match? And Ben Blackwell at Ben M Blackwell, on the back of that said, following on from Simon's question, what is the actual reality of the old guard accepting NRL involvement? What guarantees need to be given for existing clubs in Super League to remain in the comp? So I suppose a two tier question there, NRL taking over super League and the Vegas experiment.
Speaker 2: I mean that's literally a podcast you could discussed that. Look, I'll try and condense what of my thoughts are, and you you chime in with yours or you know, let me describe. But I think person and I think the NRL partnership takeover Core is the way to go for Super League. I think me and you are probably of the few people who've lived and worked in both competitions or at least experience it to kind of know where things could work. The NRL has got a lot more money, a lot more resource. It's also got very good expertise in marketing rugby league and things that work, while Super League doesn't. And I think there could be huge benefits in knowledge sharing, in feeder relationships with clubs, swapping players, you know, junior players or senior players going either way. Coach, you'd be a big fan of this. I mean coach, education, referees, referee and also coming in house together. We would have ashes regularly, we'd have more internationals, we'd have probably state of origin in Wembley, would probably have an NRL. We may already have an NRL around in London, not too long. But I think there are many cross code benefits, cross competition benefits, and I think Brian Carney said this, he said, you know, we need to work together to grow the sport because we are a small sport. You know, we need to we need to leverage off each other. And I think I think both parties could benefit from that that's my honest opinion.
Speaker 1: Well, well i'll just bring it into one of the news items that we're going to talk about. We're going to talk about that Brian Carney interview with Peter Valandi is now. First of all, the lander's had a great haircut, he's barnet, he's looking fantastic.
Speaker 2: I just want to add to that. I saw him in the flesh at the Ashes. I think it was the second test coming out and yeah, when you see that close, there's there's some there's some work going on and that.
Speaker 1: So he had it back then as well.
Speaker 2: Well, I don't I think he's had a fresh down. I don't think he's down for Vegas, but you could tell there's yeah, and look, I'm we're making light of this. Look, you know, it doesn't really matter what he looks like.
Speaker 1: It's more look, honestly, the man I think is the best administrator Rugby League's had since the Arthursan days basically so, And don't get me wrong, I think any administrator there's always going to think, there's always going to be things that you want them to do better. But I think on the whole, yes, past mark, So.
Speaker 2: I don't agree with everything he says or does, but he's had massive successes and Artison and John Clow with doubt.
Speaker 1: Yeah, so so you know that all this is done with with with jest. So that interview was quite an in depth one with Brian Carney. And this is what I was suggesting about about Brian being a bit of a mouthpiece. So when he says things like rugby league in England needs a massive cash injection, I know that is possibly a fact, but it also could be Sky thinking we're going to give them even less at the moment, or we're going to give them nothing because the sport's withering on the vine. So but there were some interesting things in that. Wasn't that he got some real good access to the land. Is what did you take from that? Because I think this still answers the question from the two boys that we've just asked.
Speaker 2: I think there was lots of interesting points in there. I think, as we all know, the Negotians are done behind closed doors and what said publicly is often very different. Well, I've been I'm contacting a few people. I haven't sort of been able to say anything up so I don't know where things stand. But I don't know if the appetite from the UK side is there to give the NERL control because it is the clubs who run the show in England and I think the original idea was a ten ten competition, which was unpalatable to a lot of them. And there is still massive divisions with the amongst the super A game, you know, with sort of wigging on one side and then you've got your.
Speaker 1: So that answers in part Ben's question, what is the actual reality of the Old Guard accepting it? Basically, yeah, yeah, we'll look.
Speaker 2: I mean part of the one of the news items is obviously the nomination for Niger Waters chair. Now, look, was anyone surprised when that happened? No, because we all know how things work. And also most of the committee that nominated him was people that he started, the Strategic Review Committee. So look, he's just come back, or he's come back a year and a bit ago. Is he going to give up power? I mean, that would seem very unlikely that Nuge would do that, and obviously he's got a lot of support and I think it's kind of you. We can use the analogy of Turkey's voting for Christmas. So if you're a club and you would probably be outside of the NRL's want or need in a competition. Are you going to vote for that? Probably not. That's how I how I say it.
Speaker 1: Richard King also asked on Facebook after the Vegas weekend, it's clear to see the two Hemisphere competitions can coexist together perfectly. With that in mind, and the land is looking successful in his Super League investment and so I don't know if he's got some intel there. Would you both say beneficial further to pair a Super League and NRL club together to share ideas, progression methods and potentially develop younger players.
Speaker 2: Well, you're there's a few clubs already doing that. Look, I don't know how much their share, but I know York signed an agreement with Penrith I think mainly signed one with Cast. You know, but they're not They're not sort of sister relationships in that, say, the Brisbane Broncos used to own the London Broncos. They're not like that, but they could be in the future. I mean, I think it was a few years ago. You remember when Harry Grant was just coming through and Melbourne loaned into West Tigers. Yeah, I remember because Harry Grant's manager, I think said this publicly. They were going to they wanted to loan him to a super League club. They wanted to stay him to super League for a year, get games in him and then bring it back. How good would that be the next generation of NRL great superstars had, you know at eighteen, nineteen twenty whatever had a year in super League, you absolutely they were they were playing for Casts or they're playing for Wakefield, and then they went back.
Speaker 1: And many of them would qualify for England as well, and they'd still be able to play Origin. Yeah, change to the rules.
Speaker 2: I think. I think the fact that if if we had the two competitions showing up, we'd have a World Cup Challenge in the calendar every year. We'd have more regular test matches. We have so many better, you know, we maybe we would have a global TV deal which would mean more money for super League. There's lots of there's lots of things. I think one thing we won't have, and I know this keeps getting mentioned by something Australia, we won't have a return to winter for super League. No.
Speaker 1: Somebody else asked that question, Yeah, so that that wipes out.
Speaker 2: You told me you're the you're the Englishman and you grew up, you were have seen both because you're old enough, you probably played or you would have played your amateur in the winter days. And Mark Clifton asked the question about that, by the way, yeah you would have been on terraces in November.
Speaker 1: But I also played in it. Yeah, yeah.
Speaker 2: Would you do you think I moved from and the move from show was because Sky said he's whatever. It was eighty million quid. Yeah, the completely changed the game. There was one professional club and then suddenly there was a tunnel them. Do you think I moved back to summer? Would work or be smart?
Speaker 1: All I'll say is I wouldn't really out completely because I would, but okay, because and I'd love you to tell me why when I finished. But this isn't nineteen ninety six anymore. And the quality of grounds tend to be better. The facilities are better. Apart from sort of thing, but the facilit it is a better as a rule. The quote the technology around turning around fields after and stadia after and processes after a game are thirty years better than they were.
Speaker 2: Athletic friends would disagree with you on.
Speaker 1: That, but yeah, right, yeah, I just don't. I don't think a massive we're not doing it should should be done yet because I mean, I know, I know the governing bodies like to put spin on attendance figures, on this, that and the other, but if you had to look at the history of attendances and whatnot, the attendances aren't that much different to when we played in the winter. Anyway, Look, I don't think we should, but I would certainly never take it off the table because and then and then there's also we could even consider a little bit of a league a league thought process here. Who says you have to have a winter sport or a summer sport. Why can't you go across the two. Because I'll tell you why, John, Super League has had a clear run for the last four weeks of rugby league minded people all around the world, people who were mad rugby league fans will have been consuming Super League, okay. And also it gives us opportunities to have things like Vegas and the World Club Challenge because they don't they don't impact they don't impact the season as much when they're out of the NRL season. So I just wouldn't rule it out. That's all I'm not saying we should go back to winter. I'm just saying I would not rule it out.
Speaker 2: I keep it on the table very It wouldn't be ruled out unless there was a massive cash incentive. So yeah, you know, so there's a TV that said, look, you'll get I don't know a million more per club or twenty million more times, and obviously it would be considered. But I don't think that would happen. And I think if you look at the you know, the movie sets, I mean you are right. The Super League season at the moment goes from February to October, so it's not like it's bully in the summer anyway. But if it did change, I don't know, from November to well supposed to be it'll be October to I don't know, April or whatever whatever it was previously, it would be exactly competitive with football, and it will also compete with rugby union and the weather. Australian people don't understand how bad the weather is in England. You essentially have kind of three seasons in a Super League season anyway. Like the weather at the moment, it's rained every day. It's terrible and it's not nice going to games, but then in the summer it's quite nice usually you know, there's lots of nice weather and then and then it gets to raining again when we get to Grand Final time. So I think that we were put off. It would also be put off for broadcasters because I think while there are obviously competition in some of this cricket and there's other things, I think it's Super League's actually a good window for a summer sport in the UK now.
Speaker 1: The other consideration is the community game, because the community game has mostly gone over to summer now, but they often have to have six weeks off in the summer because people go on holiday, which almost defies the point of moving to summer if you ask me if you have two weeks off in the middle. And that obviously so that there's so many pros and columns again, that's probably another podcast on its own. John, There's just one more point I want to go on the whole potential NRL investment, and this is why our questions are so good. To Ben's point, what guarantees need to be given over existing clubs in Super League remaining in the competition. I think the Lands or the Lands administration tends to leak things to the media to get the public's opinion on them, doubt, and one of the leagues was the well, there was a few. There was whether Manchester Roosters were going to happen, But there was another one that there was going to be a ten team super League and in my be wrong, I think it came out of Lander's mouth at one point and straight away you're gonna fans of a few clubs who were going to get twitchy. Now Nigel Ward and his gang have instead extended the super League to fourteen. So there's probably a clash of yah wasoph is there isn't there?
Speaker 2: Definitely? Yeah, yeah, without a doubt. And I think the NRL idea was a ten time competition with the London and two teams in France because they see Frances quite strategic. They say London is quite strategic. Now I think a lot of those older traditional clubs, you know, aren't that bothered about London or France, and they see France is a bit of a well bring it away fans or a coss us money blah blah blah blah blah. So there is a class of ideologies there and there's been you know, rumors or reports of potential investment in Super League from the Middle East America. Personally, I've never heard that sort of questionability of that. I think it's pie in the sky. But look, I maybe proved wrong. I think we can all agree that English Rugby League, not just Super League, needs a capital investment. It needs cash, it needs more money, and he's quite handstrung by that. We did misappoint in one of those questions, which was about Vegas and why are they targeting Vegas and other places in America. I was in Vegas last year. I've been to Vegas twice before that. It was quite amazing just to see the city kind of taken over by rugby league. It's quite of a surreal moment, you know, walk along the strip and you see a guy in a well people with a steed, and then you pull out and heat passing to a steed and across the strip back. It's like pinch me moments. But it's an amazing trip. Like I think, I don't think. Look, I know, and I saw your post on Facebook then, and I agree with this. Originally the plan was that we're going to take over America. I think that's all ballots I think it is a fantastic publicity move to energize the NRL market. This train market to grab all oxygen out of the AFL and everywhere else, and it gets all the media. Obviously they pay for all the NRL media and journeys to go over there, but it gets so much coverage, so much buzz that it is you know, it's a success and people love going. And there's been a lot of parochialism from the English market and English media about oh, they need Super League the NRL. Look, I think we can debate that. But the thing is there was four to five thousand English fans who went to the NRL in Vegas the first year when there was no English involvement. So as you know, Lee, there's a lot of NRL fans who are English who live in England. Yeah, so they're already getting people from England to come when there was no women's game, when there was no wig and nowhere into no okay, no leads. So that's my point and people will argue this. That's why I'd say if you took State of Origin to Wembley, you would sell it out.
Speaker 1: Well you got close.
Speaker 2: Yeah, No, I think I think you would look. I know rugby union people that I know who are you know, fans Rugby union fans, but they go, oh, this is Origin. It's amazing, Like it's an event. It's like the NFL, you know when it comes to.
Speaker 1: That Wimbledon or a Formula one or something.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, it's something, it's something special. And they might not all be rugby league fans, but they you know, it's like, you know, a big heavyweight boxing match. You might not be a boxing die hard who goes and watches, you know, amateur fights every weekend, but you just might want to be a part of something that's quite special. And I think an Origin game when we would be I think an URL round would also get a massive crowd in London. So yeah, I think Vegas has just got that cache. It's got that that special glitz and glamour. But I think the funniest thing. The funny thing is I think the third year and you look at the crowd, what they in the crowd figures, I think a little bit questionable that said they average we got five hundred more than last year something like that.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: I actually think from the UK perspective it was actually quieter this year. Than last year because skuy didn't invest in as much money promoting it. I think there was fewer journeys who went over and also the time slot was quite horrible for the UK market.
Speaker 1: It was midnight in England, wasn't it.
Speaker 2: Yeah? And last year it was I think nine pm or nine thirty and the Wigan Warrington game was the highest rated Super League game of Sky ever in thirty years.
Speaker 1: What I'm trying to do right now is is take all the question because we've got loads and more questions John. They all came through yesterday. I'm trying to put them into the match roundups and things like that, plus some of our news items so that this isn't a seven hour podcast. The first thing, the first thing I want to talk about, well, sorry, what we'll go through now is sort of match reviews if you like. We did cover the Lee hammering at the hands of Wigan the other day. One of our news items though, was some of the things that Derek Bowman said in the lead up to that. Can you take us through that?
Speaker 2: Well, I don't remember the specific words, but he was just basically complaining about the inhumane treatment of Lee fans and to be honest, the whole statement was embarrassing and pathetic.
Speaker 1: After Lee fans probably live in Wigan.
Speaker 2: Yeah, well look, I think it's just it's like a toddler throwing his prems out of the toys, out of the prem The thing is, we talked about the game. Look, Wigan, we're magnificently, we're diabolical. I think the you know what's come up on social media after and I think it needs addressing because we talked about the testing new situation when it broke, what was it a month or so ago, But the Lee fans are singing chanting TESTI new twas who he wants? Yeah, I mean not nice? Is that? Like? Really like this? This is what happens though, when you don't act on these things and you don't address them, it's really quite disgusting. I think. So it's just another bad look from the Lee club. But you know, the fish rots from the head and what can we expect.
Speaker 1: Well, they've got some work to do because they were awful on Thursday and that's a derby, and that there'll be people who were going to work in Lee and Wigan on Friday morning and would have struggled to struggle to win the conversation with some Wigan fans because they were awful, absolutely awful.
Speaker 2: Let me tell you that I've had you know, people contacting me saying make claims and they're just rumors at this point about certain staff leaving the club. I think, and I had this rumor a while ago and I put it to Adrian Lamb and he straight better. But I don't think Adrian Lamb will be at I think he'll I think he's the top target for the P and g A Chiefs and I don't think he'll be at Lee for years and years in the future. I wouldn't be surprised if.
Speaker 1: I actually think. I actually think that there's already a few in the Super League already of teams. So I think Wigan, Leeds, Warrington and Saints have probably shown enough in at least two games, so in Saints' case and in Leeds case that they're going to be near the top of the ladder or in the final situations. Well done to Warrington at the moment because there was a bit of pressure on them. We've then got the next group, which is basically the promoted sides to lose York and Bradford Bulls who've all had a couple of wins each. And then we've got Castleford, Hull, f C, Wakefield and Lee who were nowhere near where they would have expected they were going to be. And then we've got Huddersfield, Catalans and who k are in the bottom group at the moment, who are going, what the hell is.
Speaker 2: Going on here?
Speaker 1: Yeah? What the hell? What the hell are we? What's going on? And that's already emerging. And one of the reasons Huddersfield are in that scenario al is Castleford thirty four Huddersfield eight, which was in the shootout between the two sides who hadn't won a game yet. Ashton Golden scored on his castle For debut against his former club. It was sixteen to four at the break, first win for head coach Ryan carr John. Huddersfield's defense is awful. It looks to me like they've not done enough work on it. I went into quite a bit of detail in their defense over the last couple of weeks. Their spacings in defense are too big. Teams are easily just scoring through them. They overslide when the slide. There seems to be a lack of communication when they do slide. I can go into detail on the tackle techniques, where they put the feet, their approach to tackle. I honestly think there's some very basic errors in that side that I don't expect from a Super League side. Quite frankly.
Speaker 2: Yeah, well they couldn't hold the ball on Friday night and I think Luke Robinson said they were rubbish.
Speaker 1: That was quote, Yeah I thought we were rubbish. Played as simple as that.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean he was pretty scathing. And look they've got a huge amount of injuries. But from where they were last week against Wakefield the game that I was at, and they were very very competitive and you know, arguably unlucky to lose that they were very very poor. So that's you know, against a desperate cast team who hadn't won a game that that scoreline is a real, real concern. And Luke Robinson's been at that club for quite a while now in terms of the job, and things are getting worse, not better. So look, you know he's got a horrendous injury run and I know that's but he wasn't using there as an excuse because they have got still a lot of experience in that team. You know, you look at your Lola, hears your Burgesses. You know a number of players that got there. So yeah, just very worrying, worrying times for Hoddersfield. I can't see how it gets better soon.
Speaker 1: Hall f C sixteen York Night's seventeen, the newly promoted winning their second game by the hair of their chiny chin chin. Hull left season other team that will be thinking what's going on here? Their edge defense is really their edge defense is really poor at the moment and they seem to lack some pace across the side. Two tries from David Nuffaluma, the journayman who's now signed for York, on his debut for them, and it was sixteen to ten before Richardson dropped an extra point for York and what a smart decision that was. And to compound Hull left C's issues, Liam Knight he's going back to Australia. He played on Friday, thought he was wholehearted and now he's going back home.
Speaker 2: Yeah. I mean that's an interesting one because I think I think the Mole had written that his management is looking for another club in super Lake, so I don't know, I have no idea what's going on there. I mean the compassionate straining grounds whether he goes back to Australia, you know. But look, I think Liam Knights had four or five clubs before. I think you can see generally with these signings that super Bink cubs make that their recruitment sometimes is very shoddy.
Speaker 1: And this is this is the problem, this is the problem when we all talk about, oh, all we have to do is send players over to England or or coach over to England. It's not for some people. Apparently Wally Lewis when he turned up at Wakefield in the eighties looked at the pitch and said, I'm not playing on that. For example, some people fall in love with it, Others really struggle with the with the differences and vice versa. A lot of English people struggle in Australia.
Speaker 2: But I think when Wally were now giving him ten grand a game or whatever it was, and he managed, they did get relegated and go bust after that.
Speaker 1: So yeah, Wakefield fans don't have a great memory of Wally Lewis.
Speaker 2: Actually no, no, he still he still comes. He was over at that Christmas. He does his speaking in that. But no, look you are right there. I just think like Liam Knight's gone through a lot of clubs. I don't think he would have was the right swuning for halves at the time and yeah, but you are right like it' that's a real embarrassing defeat for whole. But the flip side is that like New York, how good are they going? Like they're feeding the two clubs. It was quite I was watching the other game and only switched it over to see the last ten to fifteen minutes was quite an entertainment and it wasn't a great look to see cape Cas go down try and basically dive to get a penalty at the front, But good work by the refs and the video ref not to fall for it, and I think York deserve to win that game, so good on.
Speaker 1: I think the issue with all FC is that there were abjects against Wigan the week before and you always think you're going you're going to get a response, yeah, and unfortunately that wasn't a response. Like I said, they just look a little bit slow to me in some places and both edges, both edges are leaking like a saive York the same things I'd say about them. I have not changed my view on them. I mean the two wins they have got got on the board, they literally have won by a point and if the wind blows in a different direction, they have not won those games.
Speaker 2: So yeah, you've got to you've got to remember that they've got half the central distribution.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I'm not criticized. I'm just saying that it's tough.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, definitely, And I think, you know, the salary cap is so much loud, but I think credit mark applega every and energy and enthusiasm and they're just they're scrapping, aren't that? And yeah it's good to see. Yeah.
Speaker 1: Warrington twenty seven Wakefield sixteen. I actually think this was the highest quality game of the round. I thought it was two teams going pretty much Toll to toll and it was a really good game actually, and it was a well fought win for Warrington. Some Burgesses team.
Speaker 2: Yeah yeah, Warrington were I think I had a to be comfortable and then Wakefield came really roaring back into it and could have stolen it. Was it was quite entertaining. I think, look, you know, great signs of Warrington has shown some real hearts and real ticker. They've obviously had a Buyer Round two with the World Club Challenge. So two wins from two and Wakefield will be disappointed that they didn't come. You know, get some of that game. I think Truman was, you know, really really strong. Jackson Field was quite decent as well. But yeah, credit to Warrington, and you know, after the terrible year that had last year, this is as a promising start.
Speaker 1: Both sides were completing it in the region of ninety percent two. So this is what I mean about being a high quality game of football. It was fourteen two to Warrington at halftime. I want to make mention of Mark Snad's kicking game, which I thought was excellent and was also for Warrington. To put that in some context. Wakefield had won the last three games between the two sides. Back to a team that's in trouble Catalans six tries for Saint Helen's against them and two from Daryl Clark and he's three hundred and fiftieth match. Now, the scary thing for the Catalans is this game was only six and al at half time and it was on their own patch.
Speaker 2: I only caught a bit of this because then for some reason, my Sky on Demand wouldn't deliver me the replace. I could catch up with it. But yeah, from what I've read and what I've seen, they just basically died off the last thirty minutes, didn't They Like they were quite competitive for fifty minutes and then someon Ellen's just scored try after trying. That that's really worrying at home after a terrible performance. I think Johel Tompkins is a very very honest coach, and I think he was pretty scathing post match, and that's two weeks in a row. He's been skating. Now you're the coach, Lee, so you can tell better than me, But I don't think you can be that skating week after week with your team. Eventually they switch off.
Speaker 1: So I think I think if you've got a plan and to the outside world, I've been through this a couple of times, to the outside world, the results and everything else looks like it's not happening. But if you know it's going to turn, your messaging needs to reflect that. And I think both with Luke Robinson and now with Tomkins, there's an element of I've done all I can, but we're not doing it right. So once you start talking like that, you're starting to put blame on players, and that never ends well if it's done too much. And from Tomkins's honest assessments, which I love, by the way, but it won't work for many people in this modern world. Some people need a bit more encouragement, some people need a bit more constructive feedback.
Speaker 2: I think I think we've Haddisfield obviously some mitigations with their horrific intro out. I think Catlan's are pretty much for full strength and it's a fairly new group there. And Tompkins, it's I mean, I know he got the job wedway through last year, but it's essentially his first year as a coach. He's not had a lot of experience. I think. I don't think they even interviewed other candidates. They just gave him the job. That's quite questionable. So whether he's at this stage of his career ready to lead a Super League team, I think is what we're going to find out in the near future. But that for me was really worrying. So not though they got beat but the fact that they kind of gave up.
Speaker 1: It was twenty four and il was fifteen minutes to go and they didn't score until the seventieth minute. And they've been awful for the last two weeks now and the only one, the only win they had was against Huddersfield, So that's in a bit of context. If you asked me, they were so poor against Bradford and the second half year there were missing so many tackles. So yeah, it's yeah, plenty of work to do there. Over to Vegas, kr Well got absolutely hammered by leads fifty eight to six.
Speaker 2: Was it?
Speaker 1: I forgot to put the score down? I think I think leaders' game plan get the ball early to micros Evo when it's a try.
Speaker 2: Well that I mean you said they got hammered in the games. They get hammered before the game because you kind of you see that score line and you sort of think, what was their prep. Look, I'll give them some credit the fact they played the World Cup Challenge a week before. They were near perfect in that game. No one gave him a chance against the Broncos. They dominated the Broncos for sixty minutes. They got you know, and they would have. They had a few beers after that game, and it's very hard mentally to get up for such a and then you know, then you've got to go to Vegas. Everything. Look, I don't know whether it got to their heads. I don't know, you know, if it just it all went wrong. But the leads were red hot and Hugout were very very poor. Like Civo. We all know, it's not like he's a secret weapon, Like he's not a young he's not a new player scene any who's watched him play, you know, but he was just running over people. But the thing that was really bad for me was the last four minutes. Cooper Jenkins scored twice, you know, so they didn't you know, they didn't really respond. They just were quite soft throughout that for eighty minutes.
Speaker 1: I think is going to be a court here, a bit like Leslie van Nicolo. Yeah, super League, let's talk about whole KR because you've mentioned them. I think their best performer was the erasure dude. Before the game. It was twenty it was twenty Yeah, it was twenty four nil by twenty eight nail by halftime. And let's have a look at a Whole k R. Let's analyze it. They've lost two from two Super League games now and the World Club Challenge that were saved by the hooter basically in Brisbane's poor start and their second halves are interesting too. So they conceded thirteen points against York in round one in the second half and the second half of the World Club Challenge is conceded twenty and then conceded fifty eight in this game. So it's one hundred and one points in three games at an average of thirty three thirty four ish like that. This is a team that last year John was so stingy in defense. They averaged eleven again against the best. That's right, that's right. We've had some questions pertaining to juk Are. I'll put them in now where they're gone, where they're gone with where they're gone. Okay, will a World Club Challenge win? See the NRL come calling for Willie Peters before the end of his current contract, and if he goes, can Roll sustain their recent success without him?
Speaker 2: Yeah? Look, I think there was you know, the Knights one in the job last year that went to Justin the whole Brooks. So there's already been in our old clubs in for him before they won the travel and I don't think a big defeat in Vegas is going to change that book. Yeah, they'll big clubs that come calling. Whether Willie sees out his contract or goes early, that's up to Willie. In terms of in terms of succession playing, that's really interesting because I think, look, they've got you would say the two of most important players, which is Linton and Lewis, are both in their mid mid to early twenties and the long term deal, so I think they've got the call there. They've also got, you know, Morgs relatively young. They've got sort of a good blend of experience and youth there. But in terms of the coaching, look, he's only just brought into new assistants and that's Ian Watson and Luke Gale retired a couple of years, relatively new, and he's coaching. Ian Watson's been coaching for a long time, had a lot of success at Salford, had made a Challenge Cup final his first year in Huddersfield and then it went wrong and he got sacked at Husefield. So whether they see what I was the next in line rank, I don't know, but yeah, I think it's always hard to replace a coach who's had a massive impact impact like that. But I think for whole KR it's very very hard when you win a treble. Look at you know, Wigan the year before and they did the same thing. They won for trophies, like they made the Grand Final last year, but they didn't win a trophy last year. It's very hard to maintain that level of excellence.
Speaker 1: Nothing fails like success, John, nothing fails like success.
Speaker 2: That in saying that, and I was, I was messaging a maid who's a whole k r Fen. I was saying, well, you've lost the mine apprenticeship already, and I was half joking, but they have dropped four points. And if you're Wigging and you're looking at everyone three from three and look red hot, you'll be like, well, that's that's great for us. But I still think whole kay Art can bounce back and you know, get to the Grand Final and maybe even win a Grand Final.
Speaker 1: Well, well, in the NRL, they'd put a line through them because they've conceded over fifty points in the game.
Speaker 2: I did see someone put out a tweet saying there's at least four teams who had been beaten by forty or fifty, like in sen Helens in twenty fourteen and Wigging in twenty twenty three. Or whatever, and they don't won the Grand follow that year, so there's not the equivalent NRL stat.
Speaker 1: James McKee asked a question different type of pressure that k are used to and they don't seem to be handling it very well. Mikey seems to be well off the boil and believing in his own hype. That's Mikey Lewis. Look, I'll answer that one because I think it's a coaching Well, like I said, you laughed at my comment, but nothing fails like success. People people lose their edge, so.
Speaker 2: Definitely, so we you know, look at I was just say, look at sath Sydney in twenty fourteen.
Speaker 1: Yeah, there's loads of examples, mate, and and people lose their edge and that's why winning back to back or like Penrith did four on the trot is a real, real, real achievement. And I mean yesterday watching whole KR, they were chasing the tails. There was a lack of discipline in the play the ball. They were given away a lot on the right edge. They only had thirty five percent of the ball by the thirty minute mark and only completed six sets, and so much of their game is geared towards completion and attrition, and they just weren't. They weren't there at the races. Now, I think, I think all it takes. I mean, I know you went to training and were impressed by by what you saw.
Speaker 2: Yeah it was, but.
Speaker 1: It all depends how long they were just a little bit off prior to Christmas for example, right, just a little bit cocker who And there's other things that happen around a successful team too. More people want a piece of you, more sponsors, more media, more player requests, more people if you live in the town or city, pumping into you in the street.
Speaker 2: Did you see the videos that were looked on social media about Mikey Lewis getting into an argument with a film at a club. So after the World Cup challenge, I think it was that night or the next night, there's Mikey Lewis with a few angry words with a certain thing. Look, it was a bit of a storm and a teacup. You know. There was no h you know, bad words said or punches trainer or anything like that, but it seemed to be someone either trying to wind Makey up or Mikey getting annoyed with someone at a public The point is you have to be aware that these situations are going to happen because you're a target. And you know, people in the NRL know that because they are you know, in every pub or nightclub in you know, the Eastern Seaport basically, and the same things that happens in you know, other major sports. So they have to be aware of that that there's people who are going to try and take a shot at them. And Mikey has to be smarter to kind of not react or put himself in those situations. I'm not having to go with him, but because I don't know the full context of what happened before the recording or after that. But you've just got to be very careful.
Speaker 1: Now, another real danger who KR is the Vegas hangover, so genuine jet lag issues and whatnot. And they've got Huddersfield next Sunday, so unlike the NRL team, super League teams have to back up next week. So imagine they don't get the result they need there, that would be a real, real issue, but it's also a great game potentially for them to get back into the groove back to Leeds.
Speaker 2: Because sorry just to say Lee, I mean I say this tongue in cheek is they're not a bigger level. Are playing in Vegas in front of forty zero people, you know, part of a massive event, and then you're going away to Huddersfield.
Speaker 1: If you're looking.
Speaker 2: Mental calm down, it's hard to hard to check.
Speaker 1: Yeah, they should have sent them to a cup tie to Barrow or something. Let's talk about leads, because they were brilliant. They worked laterally when they were coming out of their own end, they worked them sideways and it was all about unleashing their left side. And I was so impressed by the two halves mate brody Croft and a certain Jake Connor who wasn't Jake.
Speaker 2: Doesn't mean anything. I don't who even votes for it? Yeah, I mean you just with every good performance to Jake Connor puts in, you just sort of think, what why was he not pick for England?
Speaker 1: I also think as well, their attack hasn't completely clicked yet, Like they were a bit clunky close to the line if you remember it early on, but they still scored from these clunky patties. And they've scored one hundred and eighteen points in three games. That's almost forty a game. And I know they lost to Lee, but they're looking the goods and I can't wait to see them play Wig.
Speaker 2: Connor didn't play against Lee, which is important to remember, and I don't think Civo didn't play against Lee either. So look, yeah, I think I think that there are team that's got points in them. And I think with you know, with Lockie Miller, who's a bit of an unpredictable player who likes to bounce around the field. You know, Brodie Croft seems to be quite confident at the moment really running the ball. You've got Connor who can you know, play pass short, you can play wide. You've got big, big wingers, you know, Ryan Horn, Steve I've got to be the biggest two wingers in super Far. And then you know you've got some athletic centers. You've got some big forwards there, and you've got forwards who can also pass the ball like Cam Smith and Callen Watkins. Look I think, yeah, Look, I think Leeds were always going to be a top three, top four team this year. And you know they may be, they may finish top, they may finish second. You know, we'll we'll find out. But they were they were very very good and I think it was the Leeds have never put that many points in the whole k are in okay as one hundred and forty four year history, so that kind of puts into context what kind of score.
Speaker 1: On Broncos fan said to me, Geeszu, we must be in trouble. Then, on the subject of the big Wings, did you know that statistically tackle two is the most important. If you're going to have a good set, you need to really win the rouck on tackle two in attack, and likewise, conversely you have to kill tackle two. So having my case Evo and Ryan Hall on both their pick and swings is a big help for that on the kick return, so real, real good signs for leads solo. I still have questions about their defense, but that's just me. Bulls eighteen to lose two wins, two wins Olympiak are still two wins. Six I thought to lose a very limited in attack. I ended up seeing the second half of this because I woke up and decided to get up and watch. Its weren't given a lot of direction and Ethan Ryan hat trick for Bradford, who had better go forward and move the ball at the right time for me, So uh yeah, good, good, good signs for Bradford early on, who've got two wins. Yeah, these against Catalans and now another.
Speaker 2: Now are very good against Hull as well. So look, I think I think Haggardy is a really top young coach, really promising. Ethan Ryan was electric. One of his tries was brilliant. Connor win was really damaging. I really like Doro, the forward they brought in from whole KR, you know, really big unit who can bend the line. And again Bradford deserved to win. Just you know, they're doing really well Bradford, so full credit to them. Look, I think to lose will be disappointed. They just didn't really match their energy. As you said, I think their attack was a bit lackluster. There wasn't really much variety there. But yeah, i'd Thord very very happy in a good crowd there. Again, I think it was eight, which you know with ways that's really strong.
Speaker 1: I mean this in the nicest possible way. Oddsul is also attack on the Rugby league sensus because you're at the ground and you go and you go underground, right, you go into a bowl. Right. The terraces are the same terraces that were there when they had the record crowd in nineteen thirty four or whatever it is, so that brings you back a few almost one hundred years. The changing rooms are on the side away from what looks like the main stand. The field is surrounded by a track. The field is small, so the dimensions aren't the same against cattal amso grass was like a farmer's field this week it was nice. And when you're playing and you're trying to get your bearings, if the stand isn't where it should be, it's actually hard sometimes to play. It really is. And also on a smaller field with smaller ring goals. And then where you think there should be a grandstand or a terrace, there's a big corporate area and to the left of it there's a car park with a nice little pathway going down to It is everything you you don't expect at a rugby league ground basically, so I think Bradford can really use that to their advantage.
Speaker 2: Again, it's eying that to LuSE have been playing at Bradford in the Championship for many years, so it should be a ground there familiar. But you are right, and I've said that on other episodes. Look I think thinking use it as a as an advantage, much like you know teams that are wakey used to a bellevue before it got a makeover.
Speaker 1: Now, another thing that came from this game was unfortunately refereeing. And the big thing about the refereeing in this game, and apparently it happened a couple of times over the weekend too, was the technology failing in the year. What's going on there?
Speaker 2: I don't know, It's not a good look. I mean, we had everything this week. We had. We had a ear pieces failing, we had scoreboards disappearing, and even in the whole kur Leeds game, we didn't have the audio. Obviously there was no there was no Sky team sort of in the studio in London doing a pregrame, so we had the the Fox League pregame, but then the audio dropped off for the first minute and a half. So we're the first minute and a half with no audio as well. So it wasn't a great weekend for stuff ups, should we say, or I was.
Speaker 1: In terms of questions, We're just not going to get through every single one, so I've had to select some. And if you sent a question I said that I promised i'd use it. Please just right back to me and I'll make sure your question or another question gets in next week. Richard Hardesty asked if there is a video ref at a game, it said video ref spots and infringement of the rule that the on field ref misses. Why is it not possible for said video ref to advise the ref that he missed said infringement Because I get it's reviewed at the match review panel, but the team the infringement is against gets no benefit from the offending player missing three games after the fact.
Speaker 2: I think they do have a quiet word at times, but I think also you don't want to kind of over officiate and micro manage everything.
Speaker 1: And your earphones need to work well.
Speaker 2: That helps. That does help, unless you've got SB that does help.
Speaker 1: Dawn propped or asked when a captain's challenge is inconclusive, why does a penalty still stand and not revert to a play on Because she says, you're penalizing a team for something they may have not done, especially if you've seen it seven or eight times.
Speaker 2: I think with a captain's challenger probably if it's inconclusive, it goes back to the original ref.
Speaker 1: Score original decision.
Speaker 2: Yeah, if he's called a penalty and it's inconclusive.
Speaker 1: So that I think that is the idea of that, Dawn, is that the referee is still the boss in a way, or it should be that way really and if he if he's not comfortable, he sends it up and if they decide they're not comfortable, they send it back to him and just say go with your original decision. Graham Middleton ask do you believe that clubs promoting their own academy players through their own pathway to first team rugby should be rewarded more by the a MG ratings and things like catchment area, screen pixels etc.
Speaker 2: Yeah. I do like that, I think to be honest, I don't necessarily think it should be rewarded by IMG criteria because obviously Wigan St Helens leads have a natural advantage, but I think it should be ruled on the salary cap.
Speaker 1: I agree.
Speaker 2: I think you know, if and there is I know there is a there is a homegrown allowance, and there is a whatever it is a tenure thing, but I think there probably should be more incentives sticking carriage clubs to develop their own players and invest in their own pathways, and you do that through decart of crap. So if you're wigging and you've got ten pathway through bridge, you know players maybe they on account fifty or sixty grand each on a cap or some figure, and then you can invest money in other areas. I think that's personally how I would do it. Because there isn't enough clubs who are investing in pathways for mine. I do know it's a limited because of participation levels not being great. There is a limited amount of players in that pool. But you've got to try and incentive, I incentivize clubs to invest more in pathways for mine.
Speaker 1: The next round round four Thursday, Wakefield at home to half c A fancy Wakefield for that one, John.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I fancy Wakefield Wakefield of only what one one from three, which is not the start they would want and holler in a bit of a hole. So I think probably Wakefield home and in a close one.
Speaker 1: Personally, for those who struggle with translation, they said haul are in a bit of a hole. Actually sounded like you said in a bit of a hole. Friday Lee Leopards versus Catalan Dragons.
Speaker 2: Look, yeah, that's I think probably late at home. But yeah, both teams. Yeah, I think Alaine is a struggling more than Lee. But yeah, that was some fair morling that that Lee took.
Speaker 1: Yeah, on Thursday, York Knights will fancy their chances against Warrington at home on Friday too.
Speaker 2: Yeah, this might be the game that I'm going to go to. Look, I think probably Warrington at least on paper, but look York Lawyer, York will fancy day chances and look they will be too high in confidence. You know, they're doing really well. Another home game. Yeah, it should be should be quite entertaining and Warrington will be really had to you know, they can be three from three season. That's you know, a fantastic start. And Sam Burgess, I'm sure I'll have his boys fired up.
Speaker 1: To lose. Might still be on two wins after hosting Wigan Warriors. What a tough trip for Wigan nonetheless.
Speaker 2: Yeah, a tough trip, but I think we can. They've they've been outstanding. Like I know we're only in round three, but what they averaging about thirty OERD points per game. They're looking very good in both attack and defense. Yeah, I think Wigan by probably at least eighteen personally.
Speaker 1: Okay, Saint Helen's are at home to Bradford Bulls. That's a tough one for Bradford.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Look, I mean San Allen's you know, smashed Catlans and obviously got we know the Lee the week before. Even they've got a few injuries and we've not really talked about Lee. I can't remember it was on the run show or that that that statement that they sent out about the John comments. Look, I think that was much like the Lee one, that was just like bizarre.
Speaker 1: Can you go into that for people who didn't see it. John Wilkinson made some John Wilkins made some scathing comments on Sky about the way they treat players.
Speaker 2: And the ways basically sint Allan's put our statements saying they reserved the riot, and you know, they were appalled by wilkins comments. But look, I think the fact is he's a pundit. He's there to give his opinion.
Speaker 1: Also an ex player who also cares about.
Speaker 2: As a Allan's legend. And I think he's good friends with Paul Wellens, maybe good friends with Mike Purswal. I don't know. But look, my understanding what I've heard is that the personal situation is a bit of a nightmare, and you know, the delegations are there that he was offered a contract and agreed to it and then the contract was pulled and now he's going to leave the club. The Wellns thing was also, you know, there was all the talk that he was out earlier in the season and the poor ROLEI was going to come in, and then the talk was that if he got to the Grand Final he'd be given a new contract. He obviously didn't get the Grand truck, he didn't get to the Grand Final and he was out. But look, I think he was probably poorly treated by the club as well. But the whole statement, what was the point of the statement? They're having a go at Wilkom publicly, they're having a go at Sky you know while we're or a ployee of Sky, while we're negotiating for a new Sky TV deal. They're not going to sue him because I don't think legally they have a leg to stand on what he said in defantry and it was a fair comment that's kind of protected under the honest opinion defense. So it just makes them look bad. So I really don't know with that club what at times what they what they think they're doing or how they think they're perceived, because just makes make them look bad, not anyone else.
Speaker 1: On Sunday, because these two of the teams played in Vegas, whole k r and leads the Battle of the Cellar Dwellers on Sunday at Huddersfield. Huddersfield and whole K are.
Speaker 2: Look, I think will probably you know, dip into the squad and try and rotate a few players, But I think i'd still back Hog.
Speaker 1: Are going to be tough for them. They're still they're going to be.
Speaker 2: Yeah, there's a hangou as a mental hangover of all that travel and you know, the high point. But I still think they they've got enough to get over hot and I think they need to for their own.
Speaker 1: It'll be squeaky one time if they don't. And then leads Leeds host Castleford.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's an interesting, interesting local derby. You know, Leeds will obviously be on a high casts first win of the season, good win over hardest Field. Yeah, I still think probably leads. But look, I think Guess have been competitive in every game, even though I've only won the one game that were competitive against Wigan and they were competitive against to loose and I had a nightmare. I'm not sure if you saw it, but I had a nightmare trip to to Loosen back. It was something like thirteen hours one way and thirteen hours the way back. I think they went Munich and all sorts of things, but it won't be too far for them to go up the road to Headingley if that's where it is. Home game and I think maybe maybe Leeds in a tight one, but it could be a fifty to fifty game.
Speaker 1: In the NRL starts next weekend too. Well, it started today, didn't well, Yeah, but it starts in Australia. Melbourne Storm versus the Eels is the first game on the Thursday.
Speaker 2: The Lomax Army.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and another game to look out for his Broncoals and yeah. But in terms of results, the Cowboys lost to Newcastle. Newcastle were Wooden Spooners last year, coached by Just Holbrook, got the win against Todd Payton's Cowboys. And I think already some people are already thinking that Todd Payton will be under a bit more pressure. And I would have had a sleepless night in the last night in Vegas.
Speaker 2: Well that was the that was the st Helen's Derby, wasn't it because you had former Sir Helen's Grand Final winning coach justin the whole broke up against the Cowboys with the assistant coach for Paul Wellens. But I watched that game and I really impressed by the Knights. I thought Pongo and Brown worked well, and I like, you know, I had a bit to do with Holbrook when he was in the really nice guy. I think he's a top coach. I think, so, yeah, good to see, good to see the Knights get.
Speaker 1: Up Bulldogs and Saint George. Was a golden point win for the Bulldogs. Geez, that was a slug fest for most of the game.
Speaker 2: It was, And I thought I thought the Dragons we were unlucky in that. I thought they were really really gritty and look they've had a bad couple of years, but you know, if they can keep up that kind of level performing it's every week, they'll do well this year. But yeah, doggies will be very happy with with that one. And it was. It was a thrilling end, wasn't it? To the to the Vegas weekend?
Speaker 1: M that's almost us John. Look out for my analysis video this week. I'm looking at Lee Leopards and Warrington Wolves defensive patterns and I'm doing that from the earlier rounds to be fair to all the other teams that have covered, so please look out for that on the Rugby League Coach YouTube channel. You can also get me Rugby League Coach dot comma teu adamin at Rugby League Coach dot comma tear you as the email and at Rugby League Coach on socials, Johnny, you.
Speaker 2: Can get the non Scottish non Turett's John Davidson at X and Johnny J. Davidson and a Facebook at John Davidson Journalist. And yeah, obviously all your apologies about anything more on Iran famine, hunger, yeah, anything else. Rolf Harris apparently he'll apologize for that and everything else. Yeah, keep those apologies and climbs coming.
Speaker 1: Just make our podcast bigger. See you later in the week. We're going to do it after the hooter sometime this week, but we've not decided which one yet, so that will be after Thursday's game or Friday's game. But we'll let you know on the Rugby League Coach Socials and I'm sure Johnny will let you know on his socials too. Cool. Sure we'll speak to people soon.