Speaker 1: All right, Rich to morrow, who I'm assuming can dance too. I have no idea KTLA's tech reporter. You can't. I can't either. Worth the damn host of Rich on Tech Saturdays here at kf I eleven to two, his free newsletter rich on Tech dot TV.
Speaker 2: All Right, Rich, good morning to.
Speaker 3: You, Good morning to Bill.
Speaker 1: Okay, we have a few things to talk about Samsung, which comes out with it seems like Samsung comes out with new phones every three minutes, where where the iPhone comes out what once a year with the new phone. It seems like all we talk about Samsung with their new phones, and this.
Speaker 2: Is the new foldable phones.
Speaker 1: I'm aware of the flip phone, but the foldable phone, I haven't seen it.
Speaker 2: It's like a book, right, it opens up like a book.
Speaker 3: Yep, yep, yeah correct. So yeah, so I'm.
Speaker 2: A little confused. Is the screen fill up the entire book?
Speaker 3: Yeah? So you know you've got two of these. So the fold seven is the one that opens up like a book. And yes, it's got the big screen on the outside, and then it's got an even bigger screen on the inside, so it opens up to become like almost a squared looking tablet and they've made that really nice. And then you've got the Flip seven that's the one that is like our old school flip phones, like the Motorola Razor back in the day, and both of these phones. So it was in New York for the event. You know, Samsung did a big event in Brooklyn at some place like call like the fish hatchery or something. It was like they where they you know, bring all the fish in and like ship it out to the restaurants and stuff in the city. Anyway, they they really improve these phones this time, like like incredibly so. So the screens on them are wider and much more usable. The screens are bigger, they extend to like the entire edges of these devices. So all the issues that the reviewers had in the past six years of these devices have pretty much gone away. Now. Of course, everyone's focusing on battery life. That's like the main downside on the big fold because they didn't really improve that. But for everyday use, it's now to a place where people are going to start recommending these And you mentioned the A word Apple. They're expected to make a foldable next year, and you know when that happens, I imagine that they're going to get a lot of publicity for that because it's Apple, and people like their iPhone, they like their iOS operating system, and so even though Samsung has been doing this for six years and they've been doing it really good, of course Apple is really going to command the headlines when that happens next year.
Speaker 1: You forgive my ignorance, where as you know, I'm not a tech maven at all. You open up the phone and it's the big screen filling up both sides as in a book. I'm assuming that down the middle you've got obviously a line or separation. How do they do with that or that just happens like a book?
Speaker 3: Yeah, you do, see, well, the screen does take up the entire So just imagine on the outside there is a screen and it's a pretty big screen. It's like now the standard size of a smartphone on the outside. So you can just use the outside screen all day long, things like checking your email, doing text stuff like that. But then when you open up the screen, that's when you get that big screen inside and you can use that to watch videos, look at your emails on a bigger screen, do multitasking all that kind of stuff. The crease in the middle is definitely there because it is one big screen that folds in half. But you really do not notice it because you're looking at the stuff going on on the screen. You're not focusing on that crease. Now, if you look for it, Bill, you'll definitely see it. And that's the thing that Apple has said, of course not publicly, but the reports about Apple is that they really wanted to come out with their foldable saying there's no crease. You don't even see the crease, and that's really what they've been trying to do. I don't think it's a big deal with the crease. It's just not even something your brain notices when you're using this phone day to day.
Speaker 2: Okay, fair enough? And how big is the phone? Is that you said.
Speaker 1: It's as big as the Ultra. I have the big Apple phone, and it's big. It's not, you know, and it's hard putting in my it's hard putting into my pocket, and it's not all that comfortable talking into it, holding it up to your ear and talking.
Speaker 3: Well, the way they made this the fold seven, which is the bigger one, it's pretty much the outside screen is about the size of an iPhone screen just a little bit smaller than when you open it up, it's got an eight inch screen inside. They also added their top tier camera, so now has a better camera than ever before. That was one of the big drawbacks of this device that there was not a good camera on it, and also has a higher price tag, so they did raise the price by a dollars. So two thousand dollars for this phone come.
Speaker 1: On and people lining up to buy it. At some point is there a price limit? I mean, where do people stop buying phones? Three thousand dollars, eight thousand dollars.
Speaker 3: Here's the deal. Most people do not walk into the store and take cash out of their pocket and pay two thousand dollars. They take that two thousand dollars number one. They have a trade in. So, for instance, I was at my kids karate the other day. The guy sitting next to me has the old model of the fold. Of course, I'm a nerd, so I go, hey, have you seen the new one. I've got it right here, and he's like, no, I just ordered it online and I've been waiting to see it, you know, because these don't come out for another ten days, and so you know, showing them the phone. We are talking about it, and you know he'll trade in that old phone. He'll get probably five six hundred dollars for that old phone. That knocks the price down to fifteen hundred bucks. Then, by the way, you're dividing up the price of that phone over the next thirty six months, which is what most people do in America to buy their phone. So now you're down to you know, another fifty bucks a month, whatever it is. That's how people buy their phones. They don't see two thousand dollars here are the bills, so.
Speaker 1: You don't really get hit or you feel it very much. All Right, a couple things I'm going to talk about. Gone dot com, a new take on junk pickup.
Speaker 2: Explain that please.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I thought this was a pretty interesting startup. You know, I'm always checking out the latest startups seeing what they're doing, and not all of them make it, but this one I thought was pretty interesting because we've all heard of like one Hunter got Junk, all these junk places that come to your house and it costs a lot of money to get your stuff picked up. So this gone dot com is putting a twist on that, and they've got some investors from one a hunter junk and offer up. But what you do is you schedule a free pickup. They come with their trucks and they take away your items that could be furniture, smart devices, appliances. But basically this stuff has to be reusable, right, it can't just be trash. And so what they do is they will pick this stuff up for free, but then they will resell it on their own, so that's where they make their money. So I thought that was a pretty smart idea. It's started. It's in Seattle right now, and they want to expand to other cities. Right now, they're averaging twenty to twenty five pickups a week. So people clearly like the idea of getting rid of their stuff. Which Bill, you know you live in La. It's like people just put stuff on their curb and it's like hopefully someone just picks it up. This is like cutting out the middleman.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but here's the question. Who determines if it's reusable or not?
Speaker 1: And if I'm leaving Let's say some piece of electronic out there, how do they know whether it works or not?
Speaker 3: Well, it cites AI. So they're using AI to scan the items and see which ones have some value to them on the spot. So I'm guessing they leave behind the stuff that they think is complete garbage and they don't want to be, you know, tasked with getting rid of that. I'm sure some stuff gets caught in the middle. You know, they may take something and then later on find out nobody wants it. But again, it's kind of a smart idea for you know, instead there's leaving stuff out there for someone to or going through the process of selling it yourself. You know, a lot of times I'll have something that it's completely good and I just want to get rid of it, but I don't really want to deal with the whole offer up thing. You put something on there. Next thing, you know, you're getting a million messages from a million different people, Hey can I come by? Can I come by? Can I come by? And half of it works out, half of it doesn't. So the idea that I can take an old couch, give it to this company and they can figure out what to do with it, to me, makes a lot of sense.
Speaker 2: Does anybody ask what you've done on the couch?
Speaker 3: I'd put a list? Oh okay, disclaimer.
Speaker 2: Yeah, okay, fair enough.
Speaker 1: That's I find that really interesting in terms of it is so subjective.
Speaker 2: But if it works, I guess it works. Yeah, so we don't know.
Speaker 3: We will not know if it works until next year, if we're still talking about it, right, But you know, it seems like a decent idea. I mean, money Hunter got Junk and all these other companies they do a pretty good job. So yeah, they.
Speaker 1: Pick up don't pick up anything. I mean they pick up everything is junk to them. Uh and uh, I'm assuming you pay for it. And I don't even know what they charge for picking up John. It's a law, it's a lot. It's you know, it's more than you think. Let's put it that way.
Speaker 3: So a lot of these junk companies they come to your place and it's it's always more than you think it is, especially for like the franchises, because you know you've got the franchise fees to pay. But with that said, when you're done with this stuff, it does feel really nice that it's just out of your you know vision.
Speaker 1: Yeah and I yeah, well I think if you put your stuff out there, you can call the city for couches and stuff.
Speaker 2: And I you know, I don't know the answer to that.
Speaker 3: No, no, I do. I do know the answer on that, and it's incredible. It's called La three to one one if you live in the city of Los Angeles. I don't think a lot of people realize this. You download the app, you take a picture, and you can schedule it for free. They will take your bulky items and they do it really well, like they tell you the exact day and time they're coming, and it's usually either your garbage day or the day after. And I've used that for a lot of stuff and they will definitely take it, believe me. So La it's called my LA three one one. Download the app, and it's also great for getting your garbage cans replaced, like if you have a you know, cracked can or something, they will come and repair it or replace it for free.
Speaker 1: Oh it's I thought it's Oh, I guess that's where you go because I thought it was just the authority that handles your trash and unless you have a private trash pickup and depends if you're leaving in one of those communities or not.
Speaker 2: And I don't know.
Speaker 1: I don't do trash.
Speaker 3: Yeah, this is this is for La City folks, you know what I mean, Like people that live. And I'm sure there's Orange County, there's you know, it depends on your jurisdiction. I know kfive reaches a large swath of La County, so or you know, southern California. So this is just for La folks.
Speaker 2: By the way, I do trash.
Speaker 1: Unfortunately, I'm I was just wishful thinking. I never did because I always had family members to do it. Now I'm stuck with it and it is no fun. It is absolutely no.
Speaker 2: What taking out the trash?
Speaker 3: Yeah, Bill, are you really complaining about bringing out the trash cans?
Speaker 2: Yes? All right? Rich?
Speaker 1: Uh?
Speaker 2: Thank yeah, yeah, Okay, what can I tell you?
Speaker 1: Rich? We'll catch you next week and this Saturday, eleven to two right here on KFI.
Speaker 2: Rich, you have a good day.
Speaker 3: Thank you, Bill, take care.
Speaker 1: Yeah, he was shocked, And I'm complaining about taking out the trash cans. Now, you know I'm joking, don't you?
Speaker 2: No?
Speaker 1: Okay, Neil shaking his head.
Speaker 2: Okay,